The Lost Prophesy by HarryGinnyDestiny



Summary: (Written for the ‘Girl talk’ Challenge, but unable to finish on time.)



Fifteen years ago, a young woman learned of a Prophesy. A Prophesy that named her child as the only one would have the power to defeat the Dark Lord. But the Dark Lord had also found out about this Prophesy, and her life had been thrown into mortal danger. Forced to flee, and driven into hiding to protect her baby’s life, this girl made it her mission to find out anything she could about her son’s destiny. She travelled in secret, visiting seers and oracles for any information she could find, knowledge to help shield her child from harm. It was from one of these mystics that she heard a second Prophesy. A Prophesy that named a newly born baby girl, the seventh child of a pureblood line, the first girl born in seven generations, that held the key to her son’s survival...



Now, fifteen years later, she must journey back to the other side... and pass on this information... before it is too late...

Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Post-OotP
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2010.07.15
Updated: 2024.03.12


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1 - The Second Prophesy
Chapter 2: Chapter 2 – Looking for ‘The One'
Chapter 3: Chapter 3 – The Lightening Struck House


Chapter 1: Chapter 1 - The Second Prophesy

Author's Notes: The kids are both getting better now. You can never plan for these things (vomit bugs and sleepless nights all around!), but I promised I’d finish this story even if I didn’t complete it in time for the Challenge. The other stories are superb, so I doubt I’d be in the running anyways, but at least not having a deadline now gives me the time to write the story in the way I intended. Good luck to everyone else!

I would like to say another big thank you to Amelíe for her stellar work Betaing.


Chapter 1 - The Second Prophesy


The red-haired girl sat in a small dark room, its walls draped in dusty hangings, facing the woman who may hold the knowledge she had been searching for. Time was running out for her, she knew that well. She had been told that many times in these past few weeks, by seers, and oracles, and mystics, that her life would be ending soon. That she would have to die so that her son could live. The thought of it terrified her, leaving her baby alone in this world with nothing and no-one to protect him. She had hoped that if she were to die, James would survive to care for Harry. But her hopes had been crushed by the last seer she had seen, and now she knew the truth. That both of them would die, and that it would be soon, and that Harry would be left alone, to never know his parents, to never know the love she and James had for him.

A tear trickled slowly down her cheek. How could they leave him behind, how would he survive without them? How would it affect him? That the two people who should have been there for him to watch him grow, to watch him take his first few steps, to care for him when he was ill, to be there to wipe away his tears, and further into the future, to see him off on the Hogwarts Express on his first day of school, or even still further into the future, to be there for him on his wedding day, to be part of his children... their grandchildren’s life, they would never be part of that. It felt like a betrayal. That soon they would have to abandon him, through no choice of their own, and that the path that lay before him would be harsh and cruel without their light to guide him, without their love to steer him through this dark and bitter world. Would he blame himself for their death? It hurt more than anything to think about, no child should have to live with that burden. How would it happen? And when? And how would little Harry escape? And who would take care of him?

But, maybe... just maybe it didn’t have to be that way... maybe they could change that. Maybe this woman held the key, the key to the survival of them all. Maybe she had some knowledge, some small glimmer of hope that would help them all make it through this nightmare, not just Harry, but she and James too.

She had been sitting for some time now, the old woman turning the crystal slowly in her hands, her grey eyes flickering in the firelight, whispering in some sort of ancient tongue she did not know. Then, just as she was about to ask if there were any signs, the old woman shuddered and slumped slowly forwards. She looked as though she had passed out. Lily got up quickly, rushing around the woman’s side. But as she approached, the woman sat bolt upright, grabbing her tightly by the arm, her eyes flicked open and now shone silvery and misted, and when she spoke, her voice was somehow misty and ethereal.

“She.... is.... already... here....” whispered the woman, and Lily froze.

“Who... who is here? … M…Me? ...” began Lily.

“The girl... the girl is here... the girl who will guide him... the girl....”

And then the Prophesy began...

“She is already here... born to a union between two pureblood families. The seventh child will guide him. The first witch born to a bloodline in seven generations. And she shall be his guiding light, his reason for living. For within her chest beats the greatest power of all. And she will give him the strength to defeat tyrants, and to raise the dead. For their two souls will become as one, and in that act he will become master of death. And he shall call on her strength in his darkest hour. For while she lives, he cannot die. For even in death, he will return... to her... for her... because... of her...”

“She is here... she is already here” the old woman’s voice trailed off.

Lily sat in shock, her eyes wide, her mind still reeling with this new information. Unless she was very much mistaken, she had just heard a Prophesy. It was a while before the old woman moved again. But when she did, there was a strange sense of panic about her.

“You must leave...” the old woman gasped, the pleasant tone she had first used upon entering now dropped to one of fear. “I have things to do, places to go... I.... I... You must leave.... Now!”

Lily stared intently at the woman, who now busied herself pulling on clothes, tidying things away, rushing around in a fluster.

“Where... are you going?” she asked, concerned.

“I... I... please understand, what happened just there... there are rules and regulations... I…I… I have to get to the Ministry...”

“The.... Ministry...??” said Lily, her eyebrow raised.

“Yes... please, you have to leave... I need to get to the Ministry... now!... There are rules to what I do... all Prophesies must be registered that day... Dear Merlin! ... Look at the time... I should never have let you in… so late… so late...”

But the old woman froze, Lily’s wand now pointed directly at her face. It had been a Prophesy that had thrown her son’s life into mortal danger. It had been a Prophesy that had made the most powerful dark Wizard the world had ever seen hunt her and her entire family down. He had already murdered her mother and father because of this Prophesy, to get to her, to get to Harry... and how many others would fall before he found another way to get to them? No, she would not risk this girl’s life too, she would not have her family suffer the same fate as her and James. Not if she could help it...

“Please...” begged the woman “Please... you have to understand... There are rules...”

“OBLIVIATE!” bellowed Lily, the spell struck the old woman directly in the face.

“You will forget I have visited you this night... you will forget of all the things you have seen... you will forget about the Prophesy you have made... You... will... forget!”

“OBLIVIATE!!!” she cried again. She must make sure, she must make every effort to purge this memory, this vision from the seer’s mind.

The old woman’s eyes misted over, as she slumped back down on the chair. Soon Lily would leave this place, and the stranger who had visited the woman this night would be wiped from her mind forever.

As the red-haired girl left the small shop, and headed up the narrow cobbled street, she had one thought in her mind; she must find this child. This child: who held the key to her son’s survival. This child: who would give him strength in his darkest hour. She would make it her mission from that point on to discover anything and everything she could about this baby girl; to alert her family to the danger she could be in. If anyone else ever found out about her destiny, her life would be in mortal danger. But first, she must get home, she must tell James all she had learned, she must tend to Harry. But tomorrow... tomorrow she would owl Dumbledore. He must be informed of this revelation. If anyone could help her locate this girl, and discover the full meaning of this Prophesy, it would be him. But for tonight, just for tonight, she just wanted to get home to her son, and to James. She found a secluded corner, looking around for any sign of passing Muggles, and then, she turned on the spot, and was gone...

But what Lily Potter did not know, what she could have no idea of, was that in two hours time... she would be dead...


******


Fifteen years later...

Ginny stormed up the stairs, taking them two at a time, throwing the door open to the girl’s dormitory with deliberate force, slamming it behind her with equal frustration. Her brain still bursting in her head with the argument she just had. So many foul words she wanted to yell, so many hexes she could have ...should have used on that idiot! How dare he try to treat her like that! She wasn’t some little child that needed helped crossing a street, let alone helped through the sodding portrait hole!

“Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgghhh!” she fumed. “… BOYS!

There was a small knock on the door behind her, and then Hermione opened the door slowly, peering around it to see if it was safe for her to step inside. She had heard the gossip around the Common Room. She had heard all about Ginny’s screaming match at Dean in front of nearly everyone in there. She had hurried the full height of tower to be here for her best friend.

“What’s happened, Ginny?” asked Hermione, gasping to catch her breath.

“Oh, I’ll give you one guess. He’s tall, dark and stupid!” snapped Ginny, clearly incensed.

“Oh...” said Hermione softly, trying to sound surprised, “you had another fight with Dean then, I take it?”

“Who else!” said Ginny, rolling her eyes.

“What was it about this time?” asked Hermione, she sounded concerned.

“Does it really matter?” Ginny huffed, and then “He was babying me again! Thinks I need help through doorways like some pathetic little child! You know how I hate that! Don’t I get it enough from my brothers?” said Ginny resentfully.

“Oh...” said Hermione again “Well... maybe he’s just trying to be a gentleman?”

“Or maybe he’s just wanting a bludger to the head?” replied Ginny scowling “Let him try that with me on the Quiddich pitch, then he’ll see what a delicate little princess I really am!”

“Ginny!” said a shocked Hermione, her eyes wide. “Really! I’m sure he was only trying to be nice...”

“Well he can try that on someone else...” Ginny huffed “We’re through!”

Hermione grimaced. “It can’t be that bad? I’m sure you’ll sort it out...”

“Not THIS time!” cried Ginny “It’s over!”

There was a finality to Ginny’s words that made Hermione think twice about going on. She paused for a second, contemplating her friend. And then,

“Well maybe...”

But Ginny cut her off...

“Look, Hermione. I know you’re just trying to help and all, but I really don’t want to talk about this right now. OK? I just want to get some sleep and forget about this entire day!”

It was clear Hermione wanted to say more on this matter, but she had seen Ginny in this mood before, and knew it was better to leave her to cool off.

“OK Ginny... Well.... I’ll leave you to it then…” said Hermione sheepishly, heading towards the door. But before she left, she turned and tried one last attempt to say what she wanted.

“I … I was just going to say ‘Maybe you’ll feel different in the morning?’” Hermione gave her a weak smile.

Ginny sat on the bed, punching her pillow into shape, imagining Dean’s stupid melon head in its place.

“Doubt it!” she grumbled, not even looking at Hermione.

The sooner this day was over, thought Ginny, the better! She just wanted to sleep, to shut this entire day out her mind, and not have to think about it till morning. She threw her head down on the bed with deliberate force, trying to think of anything else but that stupid overprotective oaf. Yes, soon she would be asleep, she thought, and hopefully her dreams would take her somewhere nice... somewhere relaxing... somewhere peaceful… somewhere without any sign of that moron!


******


But Ginny didn’t get her wish. That night she tossed and turned in her sleep, dreams coming thick and fast: She was trying to climb through the portrait hole over and over and over again, but Dean kept appearing and he kept trying to help her through it, and every time he did she fell flat on her face, and everyone was laughing; Then she was sitting by the lake with Dean, and they were arguing loudly, and suddenly his hair turned bright red, and he started lecturing her in the pompous voice of Percy; Then she was in the Gryffindor common room, and they had just won the house cup. She turned to see Dean racing towards her. He threw his arms around her like a giant leech, and tried to plant his lips on hers, but she managed to swing her tiny fist just in time, and she knocked him out with one blow!; Then she was in the Madame Puddifoot’s with Dean, and he was arguing with her again, but this time she couldn’t hear what he was saying, his lips moving animatedly, criticising who knew what this time. It was as though someone had turned the volume off. And then…

“He’s not the one,” she heard the voice say.

Ginny looked around sharply. Standing behind her was a red-haired girl. The girl was about the same age as she was now. Ginny didn’t recognise her, but something about this girl seemed vaguely familiar.

“Ehhh?” replied Ginny.

“He’s not the one for you,” the red-haired girl spoke again.

“Yea… I… I know that,” Ginny huffed, “I already have enough brothers, I don’t need another,” she replied, gesturing towards Dean, who was still mouthing wordlessly who-knew-what.

The red-haired girl gave her a small smile.

“So... you’re not going to get back together then?” the girl asked politely.

“Not bloody likely!” she replied, still staring as Dean went on and on and on at her “He’s been a right git lately! ... did you know he actually laughed at me when I told him I wanted to play Quidditch professionally? Said it wasn’t a proper job for a girl!?... Why don’t you become a Healer, Ginny?... Why don’t you choose a career more suitable for a girl??... Can you believe that??! ... Nope! We’re through!”

“Oh... I’m sorry to hear that,” said the girl, smiling broadly, but she didn’t look sorry at all. Ginny thought this was a bit odd. Though, this whole dream was odd.

Ginny sighed quietly. “To be honest,” she continued, “I think I’ve had enough of boys for a while. They’re just too much hassle, if you know what I mean?”

“Are you sure?” asked the red-haired girl “Well... that’s a pity... only... you’re so close now...”

Ginny raised her eyebrows. “Close? Close to what??”

“Not to what,” replied the girl smiling softly, “but to whom.”

There was something weird about this conversation, she thought to herself. For one, it didn’t feel like it was part of a dream, it seemed so vivid, so clear. For another, she didn’t know this girl at all. Not from Hogwarts, and certainly not from anywhere else she remembered. Ginny looked at the girl intently, trying to figure her out.

“Look, I don’t want to appear mental or anything… but… who are you again?”

“Ahhhh... now that’s an interesting question. But I’m afraid I’m not going to answer that... at least, not yet,” replied the girl, still grinning.

“Not yet?” asked Ginny

“No... I don’t think so...” said the girl. “But I’m sure all will be revealed in due course.”

Ginny was still staring at the girl, it felt like she knew her somehow. She had a strange feeling about her. She couldn’t put her finger on it, but it felt like they were related in some way, or like they had been close in another life… or… maybe...

“Are you... are you... my conscience?” Ginny blurted out. She felt stupid as soon as the words left her mouth, but she was sure this girl was connected to her somehow.

“No...” replied the girl, “No… I’m not your conscience... I’m... something else...”

“Not giving much away, are you?” said Ginny, slightly annoyed. This girl was talking in riddles, even Luna made more sense that this! Though, this was only just a dream, it wasn’t meant to make any sense? Was it?

“No... I’m afraid not,” laughed the girl, “There are conditions to me being here, after all.”

“Conditions?” asked Ginny, confused. “Look, this is still just a dream, right?”

“Yes, Ginny, this is just a dream, but that doesn’t mean I’m not real,” replied the girl, “and as I said, there are Conditions to me being here… I can’t interfere… I’m breaking enough rules even talking to you... “

Ginny’s eyes widened. Was this a dream? Yes, that’s all this was, just a dream. Yet deep down inside her something was telling her it was more than just that…

“What are you?” she asked.

“Ahhhh... I can’t tell you that either,” replied the girl. “But… if you ask the right questions, then maybe I can answer. I told you I can’t interfere. And telling you who or what I am could do that. But... I could point you in the right direction…”

Ginny stood for a moment, trying to figure things out. And then...

“So… I can ask you questions?” Ginny asked.

“Yes…” replied the girl, smiling.

“And you can answer them… if I ask the right ones?”

“Yes…” replied the girl, her smile spreading wider.

“OK... and you said I’m so close now… to… to a person, right?”

“Yes….” replied the girl, her smile now splitting here face.

“And you can’t give me any sort of clue?” Ginny pleaded “Even just a hint? I mean, if this is all real and all.... who is he?”

The girl stood silently, contemplating Ginny. Finally, after several long moments she spoke.

“‘The one’!” she said simply.

“The one?” repeated Ginny.

Your one” nodded the girl. “That’s all I can say.”

“As in....” asked Ginny

“Well, you tell me.” replied the girl smiling.

“Well... I would imagine... you mean... the one I’m meant to be with...” began Ginny “Instead of Dean, I mean.”

The girl nodded, “Go on...”

“I... I don’t know what you mean...”

“Ginny, do you know what the most powerful force in the Universe is?” the girl asked.

Ginny shook her head. “My father used to tell me the most powerful force in the Universe was... was… Love....”

The girl nodded again.

“You mean... you mean this boy... ‘the one’... is the one I’m supposed to fall in love with? Or do you mean he’s one I’m meant to be with... forever? The one I end up marrying? Having a future with? Or is he my soul mate?”

The girl smiled “What would you say if I said ‘All of the above’?”

Ginny looked stunned. “But... who is he?”

“Ahhh....” said the girl “That IS the question. And one I can’t answer for you. This is something you’re going to have to figure out by yourself, Ginny. As I said, I can’t interfere... but I can point you in the right direction”


*****


And suddenly they were in the Great Hall, though it was empty, but the tables were set for breakfast.

“This is where he watches you,” the girl said softly.

Ginny looked around at the empty tables and chairs.

“Somebody watches me? Here? Who...”

“The One,” smiled the girl again.

“And he watches me? Here? While I eat? He sounds like a right creep!” Ginny laughed.

“No, Ginny,” said the girl impatiently. “He watches you because he loves you, even if he doesn’t realise it yet. And you love him, even if you don’t know it.”

“I do?” said Ginny, dumbstruck.

“Ohhhh yes,” smiled the girl. “More than you could ever imagine...”

Ginny looked around in silence at the deserted tables and chairs, imagining people surrounding them, the clatter of breakfast trays, the sound of people chatting noisily over their cereal.

Then, suddenly, as though someone had flipped a switch, light came streaming in through the windows. It was bright, dazzling. Ginny looked around at the girl again, and there was a look of fear on her face. She was staring at the windows, as the light poured into the Great Hall, now blinding. And when the girl spoke again, her smile and her cheery tone were replaced by one of worry and panic.

“Time’s running out for me.... listen to me, Ginny Weasley, because I don’t have much time. You’re going to wake up soon, and there are things I must tell you before you do. So please let me speak. I don’t have long here, and you won’t be able to see me again until tonight, when you sleep. You need to work this out before we speak again.”

Ginny looked confused again “What do you mean ‘You don’t have long?”

“I only have 24 hours here,” the girl said quickly. “I first came to you just before dawn, and you will awaken soon. I will see you again tonight when you dream, but I will have to leave before dawn, when my time is up. You need to know everything by then. There are things I must tell you, information I have to give you, but I won’t be able to tell you anything until you know the truth. Those are the terms I agreed to when coming here.”

“You have things to tell me?” said Ginny, her eyes widening.

“Yes, but as I said, I can’t interfere. You have to work out who this person is before I can tell you anymore. It’s very important that you do. I can’t tell you anymore, but you need to figure this out before tonight, otherwise I can’t tell you what I must. And the consequences could be devastating.”

Ginny nodded, “OK... I’ll work it out...” she said, “But .... But what if I don’t figure out who it is? What if I need more help? Isn’t there any way I could see you again ... before that?”

The girl laughed. “Not unless you fall asleep in class,” she began, “...although…”

“Although?” asked Ginny

“There... There is a spell… one where I could help... one where you could see me...” said the girl. “But...”

“But?” replied Ginny

“Ginny, please, you have to understand, this is really advanced magic. It would be like someone your age casting a Patronus!”

Ginny smiled. “I can cast a Patronus. Harry taught me.”

“Harry?” said the girl, her eyes widened.

“Yes, Harry... Harry Potter. Surely you’ve heard of him?”

“Yes... I have... heard of Harry,” replied the Girl, her green eyes sparkling.

“OK then,” the girl continued, “Well, I’ll have to tell you this quickly. There’s not long left. Now, Ginny, this spell needs a lot of concentration. You have to root yourself to the spot when you cast it, but you have to picture yourself stepping forward. Concentrate on that image. You have to hold your wand close to your chest, pointing it directly at your heart, and you repeat the words “Animus eo ire itum””

“Animus eo ire itum,” repeated Ginny

“It might take you a while to get it right. Just keep repeating those words, and picture yourself stepping forward. If you do it right, you’ll feel a tug at your chest, as if you’re being pulled by an invisible hook. That’s how you’ll know if it’s worked or not. Do you think you could remember all that?” the girl asked.

“Animus eo ire itum,” repeated Ginny, “concentrate on picturing myself stepping forward. Got it!”

“Good,” said the girl, “Now, you’re going to wake up soon. Remember what I’ve told you. Watch for him at breakfast… watch for him at lunch… watch for him at dinner… figure it out, Ginny. I don’t have long, and you have to figure this out before tonight, or I won’t be able to tell you more. Please, Ginny, figure this out. I’ll be there if you need me, just use the spell. Oh, and one more thing: You can’t tell anyone else about this meeting. It has to be between us, otherwise I may not be able to return tonight.”

“I will…” Ginny smiled and nodded. Normally she would be very wary of talking to an ‘invisible stranger’ inside her head, especially after Riddle. But something deep down inside was telling her to trust this girl. It felt almost as if her life depended on it. Call it instinct or whatever, all she knew was that this was important, very important, and that she had to figure this out.

“... but wait....” called Ginny, as the scene began to fade “...don’t I even get your name?”

The girl just smiled, “You can call me ... Lily”

Ginny stirred. The other girls were already awake in her dorm, getting ready for their long day of lessons and study. Soon she would wake to a new day, and everything... would change.


******

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2 – Looking for ‘The One'

Author's Notes: Finally managed to get back to this story. Only one Chapter to go now, so I will get there. :)

I'd like to throw out another huge thank you to Eric and Amelíe for their stellar work Betaing! Their comments, patience, help and guidance have been invaluable. You. Are. Both. Awesome! :)

It’s been a long time coming. Enjoy!


The next day Ginny awoke groggily from her slumber, the red-headed girl of her dream still swimming in and out of her mind. Had it been a dream? Had is just been a dream? She wasn’t sure. All she knew was that if she had a ‘secret admirer’, a person who watched her in the Great Hall, during breakfast, lunch, dinner, then she was going to do everything in her power to work out who this person was; this person, who might just be...the one. Her one, the girl had called him.

She was much later at getting ready than everyone else, rushing about hurriedly pulling on her clothing, tidying herself, brushing her hair frantically, she had to be down at breakfast, she had to begin her task.

But things didn’t go as planned. Maybe it was because she was so flustered after sleeping in, or maybe because she was still feeling half-asleep and without all her wits about her, or maybe because she hadn’t spent long enough tidying herself up and looking her best for him; or maybe it was just because she needed to have all the answers today, and right now. Whatever the reason, today was the day her ‘secret admirer’ would choose to ignore her. Because ignore her he did, of that she was sure. Ginny scanned every table around her, every seat, every face, every glance for some indication or other that someone was interested in her, but there was not one sign, not even the slightest look that told her what she needed to know.

There was that feeling, however, that tiniest of niggles that someone was watching her. Actually, she could have sworn it was someone around the very table she was sitting at. But, then, maybe she was just imagining it? Maybe it had just been a dream, and there was no mysterious stranger. Because wherever she turned, wherever she looked, she was either too late to see who it was, or no-one was looking her way. Frustrated at this, she chose to swap places with the girl sitting opposite. But that lead to even more frustration, because every time she tried to scan the Gryffindor table, looking for some sign that someone… anyone was watching her, she kept catching Harry’s eye, because he kept turning in her direction, giving her the strangest look.

“God, Harry, stop turning round,” she thought to herself, “I’m trying to see around you!”

She just had a feeling, call it intuition or whatever, that whoever was stealing glances at her must be behind Harry, or at least in that general area. She tried again, tilting her head to the side, trying to get a clear view of the boys along that side of the table. Seamus Finnigan… Nigel Wespurt… Ritchie Coote… Neil Randall… Thomas Paley… Terrence Fogarty…

“Oh, bloody Hell! Stop turning round, Harry!” She had caught his eye again. This time he turned right round to face her, and gave her a confused look as if to say “you wanted me?” She just shook her head in response as if to say “No, it’s nothing, forget it!”

“God, this is hopeless,” she thought. “And now Harry thinks I’m trying to get his attention! Merlin! He must think I’m a right nutter!”

Her worst fears were answered shortly after breakfast, because, on the way to her first lesson, Harry caught up with her.

“Errmmm… Everything alright, Ginny?” he asked in a concerned voice. “You seemed a little… off… at breakfast…”

“Ehh?... Oh… No, sorry, Harry. I was just distracted, looking around, staring into space, you know. I just have a lot on my mind at the moment. Double Defence this morning… and Snape’s being really hard on us this year…”

“Well, is there anything I can help with?” he asked concerned. He seemed so sincere and genuine in his request. One thing about Harry Potter, she thought, he really cared about his friends.

“Sorry, Harry… Not unless you know anyone who’s secretly fancies me??” she thought to herself.

“No, honestly, Harry. But thanks for the offer. I’m sure I’ll be fine.”

“Well, OK. But if you ever need help with anything, just let me know.” He gave her a warm smile. “I didn’t get top marks in Defence Against the Dark Arts for nothing, you know.”

“Thanks, Harry. I’ll bear that in mind. Tell you what, if ever I need any help in that particular class, I’m sure you’re the first person I’ll look for”

“I hope so,” he replied, still smiling, “I’d really like that.”

And with that, she headed off in the opposite direction, to her first lesson of the day. Her head still working overtime, trying to figure out who her ‘secret admirer’ could be, if there even was such a person? Maybe it had all been one big dream? Because she had to admit it to herself; if she really did have a ‘secret admirer’, then he hadn’t given her the slightest clue.


****



But if she thought things were bad at breakfast, they were about to get a whole lot worse. Though, if she had really thought about it, she would have known to expect this. Known that, out of all the crimes and misdemeanours she could have perpetrated here at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, none could compare the punishment for being five minutes late for this particular class; especially if you were in Gryffindor House.

“Ahhhh…. How delightful!” came the cold voice of Severus Snape as she entered the classroom. “So you have decided to grace us with your presence, Miss Weasley. Well, how very thoughtful of you. And just when we were about to send out the search party.”

“I’m very sorry, Professor,” said Ginny in her most polite manner. “It won’t happen again.”

“Oh, but I am sure it will,” he replied, a malicious smile curling his lips. “You seem to forget, Miss Weasley, that I have been forced to endure for more than a decade of attempting to teach your charming siblings, all of which have been far-from model students, as I’m sure you’ll agree; determined rule-breakers, practical jokers, trouble-makers, all of whom seemed to think the rules at Hogwarts didn’t apply to them, and all of them as punctual as you are now,” he finished sarcastically.

“But, Professor…” began Ginny, but she knew there was no hope in arguing.

“Fifteen points from Gryffindor!” called Snape in a cold voice, “And another five points off… for… being a Weasley!”

Ginny walked hurriedly to her seat, her face turned to the floor, trying to ignore the laughs and the jibes coming from the Slytherin end of the Classroom.

“Yes,” she thought to herself, “it is going to be VERY long morning”


****



Over an hour had passed, and a long morning it was turning out to be. Though, she hadn’t intended it to go this way. She had intended to put the dream of the red-headed girl well out of her mind, at least until lunchtime. She didn’t want anything to distract her in this class. Not after the way the lesson had started: Twenty points down, and the target of Snape’s every snide remark for the past hour.

She had tried to concentrate, had tried her hardest to clear her mind of everything but the lesson in hand. But every now and then she couldn’t help thinking of the girl, and all she had said. And, as much as she tried to block the dream out her head, tried to focus on the lesson, she found her mind wandering back again and again to the girl from her dream. She couldn’t put her finger on it, but it was as though she knew her, or had met her at some point a long time ago.

There was just something about her face, especially those eyes and the way they looked at her, which seemed somehow familiar, though she couldn’t place from where. She thought she must have met this girl before. Was there something the girl said to her that could give her some clue? She had said that...

“What’s the problem now, Weasley?”

Ginny’s head shot up. It was as though time had just stood still. The entire class in silence, every face turned in her direction, staring, eyes wide like a deer caught in the headlights of a car, unable to look away, and, standing above her, his face a mixture of malice and indignation, was the intimidating form of Severus Snape.

“After the way you began this class…” he began, “I would have expected you to at least give your full attention for the remainder of it. So what’s the problem now? This lesson is not stimulating enough for you? Perhaps there is somewhere you would rather be? Or perhaps you think you know everything already? No doubt Professor Potter covered this topic with you last year? Yes? So, maybe I should step outside, and let you teach this class, since you obviously know all this already? What do you think?”

“No… sir…” replied Ginny weakly. She knew what was coming next, she could already hear the sniggers and covert whispers coming from the Slytherin end of the classroom.

“Then tell me, Miss Weasley,” continued Snape smugly, “What is the answer to the question I just asked?”

“I… I…”

“The question, girl, before I completely lose my patience!”

“I don’t know… professor…”

“You don’t know?” said Snape, his anger rising. “Pathetic! Tell me, Miss Weasley, what is so important that you can afford to daydream in my classroom? No… let me guess… you’re trying to decide which boy you’re going to torture next, now that Mr Thomas has finally come to his senses?”

Snape fixed Ginny with a cold hard stare that seemed to pierce her, his eyes locked with hers, waiting for a reply. Ginny shivered, the memory of the red haired girl still swimming in her mind.

And then, something strange happened. For a second she could have sworn she saw a flicker of fear and… something else in his eyes. And then, as soon as she saw it, it was gone, and Snape was walking back to his desk, and for the tiniest of moments Ginny thought she had been given a reprieve.

And then…

“See me at the end of the class, Miss Weasley. I will decide your… punishment… then.”


****



Time moved very slowly after that moment, seconds dragging into minutes, dragging till over an hour. And after what seemed like days, and the school bell had rang, and the class were finally packing up their belongings, their morning’s lesson over, every single pupil had one thing on their mind, the very same thing Ginny had on her mind, though for very different reasons —

Lunch.

Yes, lunch, and the fact that she would never get to it now. The fact that she was going to miss yet another opportunity to continue her task, and find ‘the one’, and the fact that time was running out, and opportunities were quickly slipping away, that fact now weighing down hard on her mind.

Ginny looked up, the last few students now hurrying out the door, to meet the gaze of Professor Snape, who was now was watching her intently. She knew what was coming next. She sat there, silence building between them, like a condemned woman awaiting her fate, awaiting whatever punishment, whatever detentions he had planned. But still he did not speak, yet his gaze did not drift from her, as the door closed behind the last of her fellow classmates, and they were left quite alone.

God, this is torture, she thought to herself, just tell me my punishment, and get it over with! And the minutes of silence dragged on. And then, Snape finally opened his mouth to speak…

“Tell me about the girl, Miss Weasley,” he said, his voice trembling.

“The… girl?” she gasped, her eyes growing wide. She had not expected this. How could he possibly know about that?

But then, just before she could ask the question, she felt a sharp stab of pain to her forehead, her head spinning, and, for a second, everything around the room began to blur. She put her hand to her forehead, and thought she was about to pass out. But suddenly, just as quickly as the pain had started, it had completely vanished. She looked up at the potion’s master, who was now standing directly before her. And then, Snape opened his mouth to speak…

“Tell me about the girl, Miss Weasley,” he said, staring intently at her.

“The… girl?” she replied, feeling a strange sense of dj vu. Hadn’t they just done this?

“The girl who now stands before me; the one who thinks she can be insolent in my classroom!” snapped Professor Snape, “….YOU! Who else would I mean? What makes you think you can day-dream during my lesson?”

“I…I’m sorry, professor,” she replied timidly, “It... it won’t happen again.”

Ginny breathed a huge sigh of relief. For a second she thought Professor Snape had been talking about the girl from her dreams. But that would have been crazy; she had no idea what could have made her so paranoid?

“Be sure it doesn’t!” Snape continued, “Next time I won’t be so lenient, girl! Now, please, leave!”

“P-professor… don’t I have a punishment…or…” Ginny was confused.

“Do you WANT a punishment? Is that what you are saying, girl?” asked Professor Snape, drawing himself up to his full height. “Because if you do, I can arrange one for you!”

“N-no…thanks… professor,” replied Ginny, shaking her head.

“Good! Then, please leave! Don’t make me tell you a third time! Is it not punishment enough that I have to listen to your incessant whining in class? Do you really think I want to give up even more of my time listening to more of your pathetic prattle, girl?”

“I’m sorry, professor, sir. It won’t happen again!” She replied, hurriedly packing her school books into her bag.

“Leave! Now!” he snapped again, shaking his head at her.

She didn’t need told a fourth time, hurrying out of his classroom as quick as her legs would carry her. Well, that had been a lucky escape! She had expected at least one detention, she was very surprised Snape had been so lenient with her, but she wasn’t about to argue with him about it! She had a task to perform, and had already lost around five or ten minutes being held back now. The sooner she got to the Great Hall for lunch, the better.


****



But by the time she arrived at the Great Hall she was already too late. Half the students had already started packing up, only a few were still having puddings. She could have sworn the lunch bell had rung not more than ten minutes ago?

Perhaps they started lunch early? Perhaps the lesson finished late? You will not question the missing time, Miss Weasley.

Perhaps they had all started lunch early, she thought. Or maybe Snape had kept their lesson running on an extra half an hour? Yes, that seemed like a more plausible reason. After all, the lunch bell rings at 11:30, but now, looking at the clock, it was almost 12:15! So typical of Snape to keep his lesson running over their lunch hour! Yes, that was the obvious reason! But that didn’t help her, only fifteen minutes left until the lunch break was over, and with so many students already packed up and beginning to get ready for their afternoon’s lessons, she had missed her chance once more!

You will do the spell that Lily taught you. You have to trust her; you have to let her help you. You have to complete the task she set for you!

Ginny cursed herself for being so distracted in Snape’s class, for missing yet another opportunity. Now she had only dinner time in the Great Hall to work out who her secret admirer was; time was running out for her. And then she remembered the spell, the one Lily had taught her in her dream. If it was just a dream, she doubted the spell would really work...but if it wasn’t? If the spell actually worked, and she could see Lily again, see her before tonight when she slept, and ask for her help? Then, she thought, she might still have a chance. But there was only fifteen minutes left until afternoon classes were to start, there was no time left.

You will miss your afternoon’s lessons, Ginevra. You will tell your teacher that you are feeling unwell, you will say that you need to go back to your dormitory to rest. If he asks, you will say it’s woman’s problems, your Charms Master won’t dare question it. You have to do the spell, girl! Time is running out for you!

And then, Ginny decided, she would miss her afternoon’s lessons: Double Charms. She would go to Professor Flitwick before her afternoon lessons began, tell him she had female problems; he would probably be too embarrassed to ask; though, if he did, she’d mention the words ‘cramps’ and ‘menstruation’ and he probably wouldn’t want to know any more. Then, she would have the rest of the afternoon before dinner began to figure out what she needed to do to find her secret admirer, and complete her task.


****



Ginny arrived at the common room just as the lunch bell rang for a second time, signalling the end of lunch and the start of the afternoon lessons. Her short meeting with Professor Flitwick had gone a lot better than she had ever imagined. Indeed, as soon as she mentioned those two little words: ‘female problems’, and gestured down below, he was quick to shoo her out of his room, telling her to visit Madame Pomfrey if things got too bad, and that maybe she should be talking about these things with a female member of staff; she could tell the subject made him quite uncomfortable. She must remember that for future reference, in case she needed to get out of any future Charms classes.

She hurried into her dormitory, making sure she was quite alone, before beginning the task in hand. Taking out her wand, she placed the tip of it just over her heart, thinking back to her dream, and the spell that Lily had taught her, trying to remember the exact words: Animus eo ire itum.

She closed her eyes, trying to focus all her will on performing the spell, picturing herself stepping forward, while speaking the words clearly, once, twice, three times: nothing. She glanced around the room, no sign of the girl from her dream, but perhaps that was because it had just been a dream? But no, she must try harder, she must be sure. She closed her eyes again, focusing on the spell, picturing herself again stepping forward, concentrating with all her will on performing the task.

“Animus eo ire itum... Animus eo ire itum... Animus eo ire itum...”

It was when she was almost ready to give up, after a good half an hour of concentration, repeating the words over and over, that she fell a soft tug in her stomach, it was a weird feeling, like she was being pulled out of her body, dragged through the air as if she was floating, her head spinning at the sensation.

Ginny’s eyes flickered open, and, looking down at her body, realised she hadn’t moved in the slightest. She raised both hands, examining them, then looked around the dormitory. It hadn’t worked! The spell hadn’t worked in the slightest! Maybe it had all been just one big dream? Maybe there was no secret admirer, no girl with a task for her, no secrets waiting to be told? She was about to just give up completely, when she heard someone stirring behind her.

Ginny turned, and gasped in shock at the sight of the girl she was now facing, long red hair, eyes closed tightly, wand still in hand. It wasn’t who she had expected. It wasn’t the girl from her dreams. It was herself she was staring at. It felt as though she was looking into a mirror at her own reflection, but one far clearer than the image in any mirror she had seen before. It was like coming face to face with a twin you never knew existed. She raised a hand, about to touch the mirror image of herself, when she heard someone speak behind her.

“Stop!” came the voice. “If you touch her, the spell will end, and all your hard work will have been for nothing.”

Ginny turned again, and she was there, the girl from her dreams: Lily.

“What the bloody hell’s going on?” she gasped, gesturing to the other version of her, standing frozen beside her in the room, eyes closed. She looked as though she was sleeping.

“Ahhh...” said Lily, smiling softly. “I take it you are talking about your body?”

“My...what?” Ginny looked at her other self, still standing in the place where the spell had began.

“Your physical form, Miss Weasley,” she continued, “I can assure you no harm will come to it while we have this talk. You can, at any time, touch the body, and you will be returned to your complete self. The connection between spirit and flesh will break the spell.”

Ginny glanced at the other version of her again. If that was her body, what was she? But Lily was quick to anticipate her question before she asked it.

“The spell you have just performed, Ginny, is a very old piece of magic. Something performed by the earliest practitioners of witchcraft. It has many names. It was first performed over thousands of years ago by the earliest magicians of ancient Egypt, who called it ‘soul travelling’; though you may know it from the name given to it by the Native Americans: spirit walking. Their shamans used it to be able to leave their mortal bodies and walk among their tribes unseen by their people, to run with the wolves and to fly with the eagles across the plains. It is a piece of magic that has sadly been lost over time, but I give it to you now to assist you in your quest.”

“You mean... I’m a ghost?” said Ginny, still staring at her other self.

“Of sorts,” replied Lily, smiling softly. “But I would rather use the term ‘spirit’, as your body is still quite alive. Ghost is a term that applies more to your spirit after you have passed.”

Ginny thought about that for some time before she spoke again, taking in all that she had seen and learnt so far.

“You’re a spirit too, aren’t you?” said Ginny perceptively.

“Yes…I am a spirit,” said Lily. “Though, in my case, you can use the word ‘ghost’, since my body, unlike yours, is really quite dead. It has been for many, many years.”

“So, how come I can’t see you when I’m awake, I mean, like the other ghosts here at Hogwarts?” she asked curiously.

“Ahhh…” replied Lily. “A very perceptive question. Well, the ghosts here at Hogwarts are on a different plane of existence than I am. They chose to remain earth-bound when they died, while I chose to move on. I travelled back from the other side of the veil to meet with you, Ginny. That is why you, and you alone, can see me. I can appear only in dreams, or, if you use the right magic, and take your spirit form too. Dreams, are, after all, just another part of our spirit life.”

“Wow!” gasped Ginny, “I had no idea it was so easy to return once you crossed over. I guess I always thought once you went on, that was it.”

“Oh, I never said it was easy to get here, Ginny,” laughed Lily. “I only had a small window of opportunity to do this, on only one day of the year: this day, the day when the fabric between both worlds is at its most vulnerable. I have been preparing for this moment for longer than you realise: a lifetime of preparation to get this chance to meet you, to pass of this information. I had to wait until the time was right, until I knew for certain he had chosen you, only then I could make my journey. There are two conditions where I can return from beyond the veil, and both are equally complicated.”

“Two...conditions?” said Ginny curiously.

“The first is called a ‘spirit walk’, much like you are doing now, but far more complicated, as I do not belong here. I can cross over, but my time is limited on this plane. I have no anchor here, and the pull from the other side is very strong. It takes nearly all my magical energy just to stay for this one day. I have from midnight until midnight the following day to visit one person, and then my time is up here, there would be no more opportunities until this day a year from now. Those are the rules. So I have to make sure my mission is successful.”

“And the second?” asked Ginny. “I mean; the second condition where you can return here?”

“The second is much more complicated, but you needn’t worry about that,” said Lily softly, but she could tell Ginny wasn’t going giving up.

“The second condition,” Lily began, “is where I can become a ‘spirit guide’. But that is a lot more complicated, and there are spells that need to be used. I have to bind my soul to a living person, and they have to bind their soul to me too, but once they do, I am bound to that person until their death. They effectively become my anchor to this plane. But if I do, I cannot cross back, and I cannot be seen by any other mortal on this side of the veil. It is not something you would take on lightly. I would be tied to that person until they met their end.”

“I can see why you went for the first option!” Ginny laughed, amazed at what she was being told.

“So,” continued Lily. “Let me tell you my plan...”


****



When the school bell rang to signal the end of the afternoon’s lessons, Ginny was down at the dungeons level of the castle, standing outside the Potions classroom, waiting for her friend Luna Lovegood to finish her last lesson of the day, she would be key to her mission’s success. She didn’t have much time; she would have to fill Luna in on her plan on their way to the Great Hall, or, at least, tell her what she could. She just hoped her friend didn’t mind helping her out, especially when she couldn’t tell her exactly why she was needing her help.

But Ginny needn’t have worried; Luna was more than happy to come to her assistance.

“Ooohh… I do love a good secret, Ginny! The more you have in your head, the less room for Wrackspurts!” she smiled dreamily, her eyes sparkling with glint of excitement.

“Yes...ummm... good!” said Ginny, worrying slightly that she had possibly chosen the wrong friend to help her out in this task. “So, you do understand what you have to do?”

“Oh, Of course!” smiled Luna serenely. “You need me to pretend to have a conversation with you while you go to sleep in the Great hall! But wouldn’t you rather just go to your bed, Ginny? If you’re really tired, Daddy always says...”

“I’m not tired!” groaned Ginny, now worrying even more. “And I won’t be asleep! I’ll just be...ahhh...resting my eyes! Okay? But I want you to chat away with me as if we’re having a real conversation, as if I’m really awake. Do you think you could do that?”

“Well, of course I could, Ginny,” smiled Luna, “Besides, you wouldn’t be the first person to pretend to be asleep while I was talking to them. I could pretend to be asleep too if it helps?”

“Absolutely not!” said Ginny rolling her eyes “I don’t want anyone to notice my eyes are closed. Now pay attention, Luna, this is really important! I need you to talk away to me as if I’m listening to every word you’re saying. I don’t want anyone to interrupt!”

“Won’t people notice, though?” asked Luna curiously. “That you have your eyes closed throughout our entire conversation?”

Ginny just laughed. “Want to see something amazing?” she grinned, and she closed her eyelids over, only, when she did, her eyes still looked like they were wide open, shining brighter than ever before.

“Ooooohhhh, that’s wonderful, Ginny! Is that a spell?” smiled Luna, her eyes wide.

Ginny grinned wider, appreciating Luna’s reaction. “No, it’s even better than that: ‘Invisible eyelids’! I got them from Fred and George. They’re one of the new products they’re working on for Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes. Fall asleep in class, and never get caught! Well, that’s the catch-phrase they’re planning to use.”

“Well I think it’s wonderful!” smiled Luna. “And I could tell you all about the latest copy of The Quibbler if you like? While you’re sleeping, I mean? There’s a wonderful article on how some Vampires have diamonds for skin!”

“Sounds perfect!” laughed Ginny. “I’m looking forward to it!”

“Oooohh, do you mind if I wear my Spectrespecs?” Luna asked tentatively.

“Actually,” said Ginny, grinning even wider, “I was kind-of hoping you would!”


****



Ginny settled down at the table for dinner, making sure she chose a seat far enough from most of her friends, so as not to be disturbed. She was counting on Luna’s presence to deter anyone else from coming over, especially with her Spectrespecs on, and talking animatedly about The Quibbler. For some reason most of her friends tended to keep their distance whenever Luna was around, though she didn’t understand it in the slightest. Sure, Luna could be a bit unusual, but she was also very kind, and fiercely honest, and always said what she really thought no matter what other people thought of her. If only more people were like Luna, Ginny thought, the world would be a much nicer place.

Luna had already opened The Quibbler, and had just started talking loudly, when Ginny began her spell. Slipping her wand from her pocket, and keeping it hidden beneath her robes, she positioned it above her own heart. She closed her eyes tightly and began the incantation, picturing her spirit being pulled from her body by an invisible thread. She wasn’t sure how easy the spell would work when she was sitting, though Lily had assured her was just the same mechanism: as long as her feet were touching the ground, her body would be anchored as though she were standing. She pushed the heels of her shoes harder against the stone floor, and concentrated with all her will on completing the task before her.

“Animus eo ire itum... Animus eo ire itum... Animus eo ire itum...”

And then, she suddenly felt a massive tug to her gut, and she was standing in the centre of the Great Hall, looking back at herself; her body still sitting beside Luna, who was talking animatedly about who-knew-what.

“I told you it gets easier the second time,” said Lily, smiling warmly as she stepped into view.

Ginny grinned. “And to think I was worried it would take too long!”

Ginny glanced back at her real self, who was still sitting beside Luna. The Invisible Eyelids were working like a charm; it looked as though she was listening to every word Luna spoke with rapt attention. But then, just at that second, Luna glanced around in her direction, and, looking directly at her, gave her a small wink, before returning to her fake conversation with her other self.

“She’s a smart one, that Luna,” laughed Lily.

“Does she...does she see me?” gasped Ginny, her eyes growing wide.

“Oh, I wouldn’t think so,” smiled Lily, “Though, that’s not to say she doesn’t know you are here. She may have seen your Wrackspurts, and made an educated guess. They’re always buzzing around incorporeal spirits like angry bees.”

“Wait!” gasped Ginny, looking shocked. “What? Wrackspurts are real?”

“Oh, yes,” smiled Lily softly, “Why wouldn’t they be?”

“What about Blibbering Humdingers?” asked Ginny, growing more impressed by the second with Luna, and wondering whether Vampires did indeed sparkle in the sun. “Are they real too?”

“Blibbering what?” replied Lily, looking thoroughly confused. “Are you feeling okay, Ginny?”

“Nothing! ...Nothing!” she replied, shaking her head. “It doesn’t matter!”

“So, are you ready to begin?” Lily asked, her green eyes shining with a glimmer of excitement.

“Yes. I’m ready!” grinned Ginny.

“And you remember what we discussed?” the girl asked smiling.

“Yes, you tell me when he’s looking, and I try to figure out who he is.” Ginny replied.

“Good, good, then, let’s get started!” Lily was positively beaming.


****



The task was a lot harder than Ginny had expected. Time and again Lily had told her when her secret admirer was watching, and time and again she could see no one looking her way. She scanned the Gryffindor table again and again and again, looking for a sign, for any indication that someone was glancing her way.

“And he’s definitely in Gryffindor?” she asked again, frustrated that she still had no answers, and her time was slowly running out.

“What does your heart tell you?” asked Lily.

“That he’s in Gryffindor,” she replied, unsure how she knew that, but knowing it was true.

“Then follow your heart.” Lily smiled softly, and then, “He’s watching again!”

Ginny walked slowly up and down the table, scrutinising every face, watching every move, listening a little to every conversation, watching for any glance in her direction, however subtle. Terrence Fogarty... Seamus Finnegan… Ritchie Coote… Neil Randall… Nigel Wespurt… Thomas Paley… Merlin, this was hopeless!

“There’s no one looking!” she said again, frustrated at this, not one sign!

“Look closer!” was Lily’s reply.

She did, but there was no one watching her! She scanned the table again and again and there was no one looking her way! Well, no, that wasn’t quite true, there was someone staring at her, but he didn’t count, she told herself. Yes, someone was looking her way, but, no, it couldn’t be; not him; not Harry.

“You know, don’t you?” came Lily’s voice.

Ginny shook her head. No, she thought, I don’t know anything! She glanced around at Lily, and shook her head again. Then she got back to her task in hand. She must be getting close, she felt like she was getting close. She scanned the table again, looking for any sign than someone was watching her. But no, not one solitary glance in her direction.

“He’s still watching you,” said Lily, smiling broadly now.

No, she thought, No one’s watching me! She scanned every face at the table again and again and again, but not one person was looking in her direction. Well, okay, there was one person watching, but it couldn’t be him; it really couldn’t be Harry. He had never seen her as anything more than Ron’s little sister, and she had given up on hoping that would change long ago. No matter how much she liked him, no matter how much she still secretly burned a torch for him, no matter how much she still fantasised about him, she knew that would never happen, not in this lifetime.

She was just about to turn away, to look around for someone else who might be stealing glances her way, when Hermione’s words distracted her…

“See anything you like, Harry?” she grinned.

Harry’s head shot back around, trying to look innocent, as Hermione’s grin grew wider.

“Ummm… ahhh… I don’t know what you mean?” he said, looking flustered, his cheeks glowing red.

“Oh, don’t you?” smirked Hermione, her eyebrows raised questioningly.

Harry just shrugged, though his cheeks continued to burn, betraying his true intentions.

“You know, Harry,” Hermione continued, “You really should ask her out, before someone else beats you to it.”

“Eh… I don’t… uhhh… know what you’re talking about?” said Harry, now blushing an even deeper shade of scarlet.

“Fine! Fine! Just don’t say I didn’t warn you,” she said, smirking even more than before.

Ginny watched the scene unfold in shock, the revelation slowly sinking in. No, she must have misunderstood? It couldn’t be Harry! She watched him intently, sure that this had to be some sort of misunderstanding.

“You know, don’t you,” said Lily again.

Ginny shook her head again, no, it couldn’t be Harry? She watched him intently, staring at him as he glanced again and again and again at Hermione, until he was sure she wasn’t watching him. And then, he turned again, staring again at Ginny with a look so intense it sent shivers down her spine. It was a look of longing, of untold desire. And, unseen by him, Hermione glanced around again, looking from Harry to Ginny, and back again, and she was beaming. And Ginny looked on, watching as Hermione gave him a knowing look, as if to say “You don’t fool me, Harry. I know you too well!”

But, no, I must be mistaken! she thought, still in a state of denial. It couldn’t be him! Not Harry? Harry didn’t see her in that way! Hermione had even said it; he had feelings for someone else! And suddenly her mind drifted back to that particular conversation. The one they had shared several months ago…



Three months earlier...

“What about Harry?” she asked, “I mean, he has to be the most popular guy in school at the moment. Captain of the Quidditch team, ‘The Boy Who Lived’, ‘The Chosen One’, or whatever the Prophet’s calling him this week? You’d think he could get any girl he wanted?”

“Yes, Ginny, you would think that, but I really don’t think he wants just ANY girl.”

“You think he’s still hung up on Cho, don’t you?” she said, wasn’t it ALWAYS Cho, she thought.

“No,” smiled Hermione, “No, it’s definitely not Cho he’s hung up on.”

“But he IS hung up on someone, isn’t he?” she said perceptively.

“Yes,” Hermione confirmed. “Yes, he is hung up on someone.”

Ginny grinned. She could read Hermione like a book. “Well, why doesn’t he ask her out then?”

“If it’s who I think it is,” Hermione replied, “then I think she’s already spoken for.”

“Well then, why doesn’t he move on? Find someone who isn’t?”

“I don’t think he can, Ginny,” Hermione continued. “Some people just don’t work that way. Some people are willing to wait for the right one.”

“We ARE still talking about Harry here?” Ginny laughed, “Not you and my moron of a brother?”

“No, Ginny, we are still talking about Harry.” Hermione confirmed “But maybe it’s the same thing? When you fall for someone, I mean, REALLY fall for someone. Not just what I was like with Viktor, or Harry was with Cho. When you open your eyes to love, it’s not that easy to close them. True love doesn’t work that way. When you know how you really feel about someone, you can’t just turn that off.”

“And you’re SURE this isn’t Cho again?” she asked.

“No, Ginny, it isn’t Cho.” Hermione continued “This is someone else. But I know Harry. I see the way he looks at her, and I’m pretty sure it’s the same… like, the way I feel about…”

“My brother…” Ginny finished for her, her eyes wide. “Wow! That IS serious!”

“Well then, why doesn’t Harry ask her out?” Ginny continued. “Maybe she’ll dump her boyfriend for him?”

Hermione just shook her head. “Because this is Harry we’re talking about! Honestly, Ginny! Harry doesn’t work that way. He would NEVER try to break up a relationship, no matter how much it hurt him to see her with someone else. No. He’s far too noble for that. You know what he’s like! He’d rather see everyone else happy before himself.”

“So who is it?” she asked, “This mystery girl Harry has the hots for? Come on, you can tell me. You know I can keep a secret!” Ginny grinned, the anticipation was killing her.

“I’m sorry, Ginny. I really can’t tell you,” said Hermione, shaking her head. “I couldn’t break Harry’s trust like that. It just… it wouldn’t be right!”

“Please?? You know I’m not one to gossip? At least give me a clue?”

“No, I’m sorry, Ginny,” said Hermione stubbornly. “This is something you’re just going to have to figure out for yourself.”

And the scene faded…




“Something I’m going to have to figure out for myself,” she murmured to herself.

And suddenly it hit her! The girl Harry couldn’t have… the girl Hermione had been talking about… it had been her all along, and she hadn’t even realised it! She had been the girl who was dating someone else back then, she had been dating Dean. Had Harry been in love with her all that time, possibly even longer, and she hadn’t even seen the signs. She looked back at Harry, who was still watching her intently from across the table, the same look of longing on his face, a look that told her everything she wanted to know: he loved her. After all this time, and just when she had given up on it ever happening, he loved her.

And suddenly it felt as though she was falling, falling into a world full of light and life and joy, pure unadulterated bliss beyond imagining, where birds were singing their sweet serenades to the air, where the sun always shone, bright and warm, its radiance engulfing her, filling her with its light. It’s warmth glowing inside her like a Patronus. Falling into a world full of wonders beyond imagining, where a child’s wishes could come true, and where happiness never ended, because Harry Potter loved her, and the world had become whole again.

“You know, don’t you?” the voice came again. She glanced around at Lily, who wore a knowing look on her face.

“Yes,” confirmed Ginny, wiping a small tear from her eye, examining it curiously, marvelling at the fact that even in her spirit form, she still had the ability to cry. “Yes,” she said again. “I know.”

And Lily walked towards her, and her face was beaming, and there were tears spilling softly down her cheeks too, and it was all too much for Ginny, knowing Harry finally loved her, and seeing the girl crying tears of joy because of it, and, though she told the tears to hold back, though she told them not to come, there was no stopping the waterworks when they finally began. Lily finally reached her, wrapping her warm arms around her in a caring embrace, and both girls stood there, unseen by all around, holding each other, tears flowing freely. And to Ginny, though she hardly knew this girl, it didn’t feel awkward at all, it felt strangely comforting, the way her mother would hold her. Her fingers softly stroking her hair, her other hand gently patting her back reassuringly.

“Ssshhhh....” said the girl. “Shhhh.... it’s going to be alright now...”

“I know it is,” said Ginny, grinning widely through her tears. “I know it is.”


****



Dusk had arrived, the room was dark, its curtains drawn, only a small candle burning in the gloom, as Severus Snape sat contemplating the day’s events, the Pensieve sitting before him still swimming with the memory, circling in silver strands within its depths. He leant forward again, watching the silver mist swirling in patterns, before finally immersing himself in the memory. The same memory he had been watching all night, over and over and over again, looking for any sign, any clue he had missed.

“Tell me about the girl, Miss Weasley,” he said, his voice trembling.

“The… girl?” she gasped, her eyes growing wide.

“The one from your dreams, if you would?” continued Professor Snape, a note of concern in his voice.

“P… professor… I… How do you know…” Ginny looked at him in shock.

“Never mind how I know, girl,” he replied. “Tell me what she wants.”

“It was just a dream… how...” she gasped again.

“To a Master Legilimens,” Snape began, his eyes still fixed firmly on Ginny, “and to someone who mastered wordless magic long before you were born, the thoughts on the surface of a mind are as easy to read as an open book. Now, Miss Weasley, the girl, if you will. What does she want?”

“But it was just a dream...” she again protested.

“I think both you and I both know it was more than just a dream,” he stated, stepping out from behind his desk and now walking slowly towards her.

“Do not worry, child,” he continued, “I mean to help you with your task.”



It was almost half an hour later before Snape finally emerged from the memory, raising his head from the Pensieve, deep in contemplation, and, in a corner of the room, unseen by him, Lily looked on.


****

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3 – The Lightening Struck House

Author's Notes: Curiously I have had Chapters 4 and 5 of this fanfic, and an Epilogue, mostly written for years, but this Chapter was always holding me up. This ties directly into my other fanfic 'After the Hallows', so I am unable to continue that until this explains the background. I have another few Chapters of 'After the Hallows' almost there. So posting this will allow me to continue.


The girl was standing in a dimly lit office, unseen by the room’s two inhabitants, listening to every word with rapt attention, and there were tears spilling slowly down her cheeks.

“So the boy . . . the boy must die?” asked the man, his face white with shock.

“And Voldemort himself must do it, Severus. That is essential.”

Lily looked on, numb with shock at what she was hearing. She had known something was wrong, known there must be a reason why she couldn’t reach Harry, couldn’t get to him through his dreams. There was something blocking her, something preventing her gaining access. But she had never expected this; the knowledge of it hitting her with the force of a bomb. Everything said from that point on coming to her through a mist of fragments, as though heard from the end of a long tunnel.

“...protecting him for her.... Lily...sets out to meet his death... the end of Voldemort.”

However it was the voice of Severus that brought her back to earth, and there was anger in that voice.

“You have kept him alive so that he can die at the right moment”

And we that moment a plan began to take root in her mind.

“Don’t be shocked, Severus. How many men and women have you watched die?”

“You have used me.” he spat “I have spied for you and lied for you, put myself in mortal danger for you. Everything was supposed to be to keep Lily Potter’s son safe. Now you tell me you have been raising him like a pig for slaughter ”

Lily now listened to every word, gazing at Snape intently, almost like she finally recognised the boy she first met in her childhood, and their long Summers spent together. And, as the silver doe burst from the tip of his wand, and soared out of the window, she felt her next steps begin to solidify within her mind.

Lily watched the patronus fly away, and, as her silvery glow faded she turned back to look at Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.

“After all this time?” she heard Dumbledore ask

“Always,” was his reply.


And at that point Lily knew exactly what she was going to do.



****



That night Ginny tossed and turned in her sleep, her mind full of troubled dreams. She was soaring high through the chamber of secrets, and, looking down, as she watched a younger version of herself sit up, as a young wizard came to her aide. Then she was in the Department of Mysteries, looking down as Death Eaters chased her through a maze of endless corridors. Then she was flying across fields towards the Burrow, and then, on past it, across rivers and fields towards a small village on the horizon.

She flew past a signpost proclaiming 'You are now entering Godric's Hollow", and on, towards a small derelict house on the outskirts of that village. And then, as if finally coming to her destination, the dream seemed to slow down, and she was suddenly inside the house, though she didn’t recognise the place.

She could hear the sound of a baby crying as she walked through small home, passing spell damaged rooms, she walked towards a small wooden staircase that took her upstairs, closer to the source of the noise. The walls of the upper levels stood broken and crumbling as if they'd been blasted apart. Finally, she came into a small nursery, where she found a young woman looking down into an empty cot.

Ginny was about to ask where she was, and if this was some where she knew, when the woman turned slowly to face her. The woman raised her hand in a gesture of welcome, and beckoned Ginny forward, as if she had been waiting on her arrival, and finally spoke.


“Hello Ginny… I’ve been waiting for you”

“L … Lily?” she asked.

“Yes” came the reply

“But... you’re much older than you were earlier.” said Ginny observantly.

Lily smiled softly. “This was how I looked when I died" she said simply.

And suddenly all the pieces seemed to fit together in Ginny's mind, and when she spoke next it was with a sense of dawning wonder.

"You're Harry’s mother, aren’t you" she said, more of a statement of fact than a question.

"Yes," she said beaming "I’m Harry’s mum."


A moment of silence stretched between them, as Ginny turned this new revelation over in her mind, and gazed at the woman now standing beside her in a dawning sense of reverence and wonder.


"I'm so deeply honoured to meet you” Ginny replied, a bit awkwardly, slightly fully in awe.

“And I am honoured to meet you too, Ginny." Replied Lily smiling. "You have no idea how much I have looked forward to this moment. I have been searching for you for quite some time."

"You've been searching...for...me?" Ginny looked even more in awe of this statement.

"Yes, my dear." Said Lily. "I have been searching for you for fifteen years. You have no idea how important finding you has been."


Ginny looked shocked at that. Why was she so important, she thought to herself. She was just about to ask why finding her had been so crucial, when Lily spoke one more.

"Now listen Ginny, because I don’t have long, my time is almost up here. I need to tell you about the Prophesy."

Ginny nodded softly. She remembered what happened at the department of Mysteries the year before, though she didn't know the details of the Prophesy, just that it had been broken, thought she knew it was about both Harry and Voldemort.

"The Prophesy about the one about Harry and Voldermort, you mean." She replied knowingly.

But, to her surprise, Lily shook her head at that .

"No, Ginny." was her reply. "I mean the Prophesy about you."

Ginny froze. Was she hearing this right?

"The one about...m… me?" She gasped.

"Yes." smiled the older witch. "The prophesy about you."

A few moments passed before Lily spoke again, letting this new information sink slowly in

"It was made to me. Many years ago..." began Lily. "You see, when I heard about the Prophesy made about my son, I naturally wanted to know everything I could. At that time though we were driven into hiding, and we knew our lives were in danger. We knew the Dark Lord was searching for us, and our son. But from that point on I made it my mission to find out anything I could about this Prophesy. To find out anything I could that could protect us."

Ginny listened to every word with rapt attention.

"I travelled in secret," continued Lily "I visited Seers and Oracles and Mystics, looking for any information I could find. Any knowledge to help shield my child, my Harry, from harm. It was from one of these mystics that I heard a second Prophesy. A Prophesy that named a newly born baby girl, the seventh child of a pureblood line, the first girl born in seven generations, that held the key to my son’s survival. That child is you, Miss Weasley."

"Are you sure?" Ginny replied, feeling slightly confused. "I mean, are you sure it's about me?"

"Oh, quite sure." smiled Lily. "Now, do you want to keep asking questions, or do you want to see this Prophesy?"

"I can see it? Now? How?" Asked Ginny.

"There is a spell you can use. I will teach it to you, as you may have need for it later." said Lily still smiling. "This is wordless magic. You place the tip of your wand to the temple of your head, and conjure the memory. Focus on the memory, and repeat the words "Memoriae Extractum" three times in your head, and slowly pull the wand away. You will find your memories come out as a shimmiring silver threads."

“This is much easier to do in dreams” said Lily, and as she spoke, she touched a finger to the crown of her head, and silver threads of memory spun their way towards Ginny. They flew on the wind like shimmering webs of silk, and, as the first threat touched Ginny’s temple, and she was suddenly transported into a dimly lit room where two people sat.

"This Prophesy was made to me a few hours before I died." said Lily sadly "But before I could tell anyone it's contents, before I could pass this information to the Order of the Phoenix, I was murdered. And this secret has remained with me, until now."


“She is already here..." Began the Seer "She is already here...."


Ginny walked around the room where the two people sat. Lily, looking much like she did now, and the older woman, her face transfixed, her eyes glazed, her voice ethereal as she spoke.


"Born to a union between two pureblood families. The seventh child will guide him. The first witch born to a bloodline in seven generations. And she shall be his guiding light, his reason for living. For within her chest beats the greatest power of all. And she will give him the strength to defeat tyrants, and to raise the dead. For their two souls will become as one, and in that act he will become master of death. And he shall call on her strength in his darkest hour. For while she lives, he cannot die. For even in death, he will return... to her... for her... because... of her...”

“She is already here..." said the Seer again as her words trailed off "She is already here...."



There was a moment of calm. And then, as quickly as the Memory began, Ginny suddenly felt the room dissolve around her, and she was suddenly transported back into the lightening-struck nursery, back into the house where she had been before the memory had began.


Ginny looked shocked. “That’s... about me... but... I don’t have any power"

Lily smiled serenely.

"You're wrong Ginny Weasley, you’re very wrong." she said simply "You have the greatest power of all. The power of love. But to fully understand the prophesy, I need to ask a great favour from you."

"Ask me anything..." said Ginny.

"I need you to show me one of your memories." said Lily softly "I hope you don't mind me asking, and it may not be a pleasant memory to relive. But I need to see what happened... in the Chamber of Secrets."

Ginny shook her head. "I don't remember anything" she said earnestly. "I was out for most of it. I only remember waking up after it was all over, and seeing Harry with the diary"

Lily smiled at that. "That may be all I need, Ginny." she replied, "I need to see what happened between you and my son in the Chamber"

"Nothing really happened" sighed Ginny."As I said, I was out for most of it!"

"Indulge me" said Lily. "You know the spell now. I really need to see that memory. It may be the last piece of the puzzle I need."

Ginny sighed again. "Okay, but I really don't think you'll find what your looking for. I really don't remember much"


After several long moments, Ginny reluctantly took her wand out of her pocket, and, touching it to her temple, she repeated the incantation Lily taught her. It took her a few attempts, focusing on the memory, when finally the memory slowly spun from her mind in a shimmering strand, snaking it's way towards Lily.

They were suddenly transported to the Chamber of Secrets four years earlier, where a much younger and incapacitated Ginny Weasley stirred, and let out a soft moan. The younger version of herself sat up slowly, opening her eyes to survey the scene, as Harry hurried towards her, his robes soaked with blood, and Tom Riddle's Diary in his hands. She looked across so see the dead basilisk, it's corpse lifeless, and then back to Harry, and let out a loud gasp, choking back tears.


"Oh Harry" she cried. "I tried to tell you at b-breakfast"

She was sobbing louder than she remembered, thought Ginny, as she surveyed the scene, while Lily sat in silence, observing every detail of the exchange.


" it was me, Harry ... but I ... I - s-swear I d-didn’t mean to... R-Riddle made me, he t-took me over..." the younger version of herself sobbed.


"I really don't think you'll see anything..." began Ginny, but Lily put her fingers to her lips, and beckoned her into silence.


“It’s all right,” said Harry, holding up the diary, and showing Ginny the fang hole where the basilisk fang had pierced it.

“Riddle’s finished. Look! Him and the basilisk." he continued, and he reached out a hand, and slowly helped Ginny to her feet.


"Ahhhhh...." said Lily sharply. "THERE it is!" and there were tears glistening in her eyes. "I thought it might be "

"There WHAT is?" she asked, still surveying the scene. "What am I missing?"

"Back up the memory a little" said Lily. "It is important that you understand what happened between the two of you in the Chamber of Secrets. About the events you set into motion."

"How do I do that?" she asked.

"We are still in your own mind" said Lily observantly, "so it should be just as easy as replaying an only memory in your head. Just take us back to before Harry picked you up, please"

Ginny focused on the scene, and it rewound a few moments to when Harry had just about reached her.

"Watch your eyes" said Lily intently. "When my son helps you to your feet. It's only there for a second, but it's unmistakable."


“Riddle’s finished. Look! Him and the basilisk." said Harry, and he reached out a hand, and slowly helped the younger Ginny to her feet.


Ginny watched the scene play out for the second time, and she noticed it too. As Harry touched her hand to help her to her feet, a flash of gold appeared in the retina of her eyes. In Harry's too.

"What was THAT?" she gasped.

"What I was expecting." said Lily, and there were tears running down her cheeks.

"But... what does it mean?" she asked, somewhat confused.

"It's be beginning of it" Lily replied, still watching the exchange between the two young people.

"Beginning ? Or what?" she asked. "Explain!"

"Of your soul bond, Ginny" said Lily through her tears, now turning to face Ginny. "You saw the flash of gold in both of your eyes? There is a reason we say that the eyes are a window to the soul, and a reason they use gold rings as a symbol in bonding ceremonies."

"S-so...Are you saying. That my...my soul is...is... bonded to Harry's?" she asked, her eyes widening.

"Oh no, not quite yet." Smiled Lily "You will still have have to complete the bond. But I can teach you how, if you decide you so wish."

There was a moment of silence between them, as the memory slowly dissolved around them, and they were back in the nursery.

"Okay, Explain more!" said Ginny exasperated "How did this happen? Sorry, I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of it"

"Your love, Ginny!" began Lily. "Your love began the soul bond. You see, my son then went into the Chamber of secrets to save your life. In doing so he faced certain death. He sacrificed himself to save you, Ginny. Had it not been for the phoenix tears, the only known cure for Basilisk venom, the cure that stopped the poison from completing its task, he would have given his life for yours. He would have most certainly died for you. You, in turn, already loved him with every fibre of your being, be it a childhood crush or not. His sacrifice for you, and your love for him, is what started that bond."

"So, what happens now?" she asked.

"That is entirely up to you. You will have to decide if you want to take the next step. To accept your part in the prophesy." said Lily. "I won't lie, Miss Weasley, soul bonds are an incredibly dangerous form of magic. Not many people get as far as you have now."

"So, I have a choice?" she asked.

"We all have choices, Ginny." smiled Lily. "It's up to you. You get to decide if you wish to complete the bond you both started. But please bear in mind, once you do this, your soul and Harry's will become as one. There is no undoing old magic like this. Both of your destinies will become intrinsically intertwined. When this soul bond started, it began with your love for my son. And now, his feelings have changed, and he loves you in return. This will enable you to complete that bond. But Harry can't know about any of this. If I know my son as well as I think I do, he would not wish your two fates tied, given the danger he is in. Especially as he doesn't expect to survive what's to come. He would want to protect you from that in any way possible, even though this bond could mean he survives this war."

"So, you're saying this bond will protect Harry?" she asked.

"Yes" Lily replied simply. "I believe so. When the time is right, if I understand the prophecy correctly."

"Then, I know what I want." said Ginny firmly. "After what Harry did for me in the Chamber of Secrets, it would be wrong of my not to do the same for him. So, how do we do this?"

Lily smiled softly.

"Patience, Ginny." she said. "Now I know you intend to complete the bond, I need to tell you everything else.”

“There's more????“

“Oh yes, there's so much more. I need to tell you...” said Lily. But she paused for a moment, deep in contemplation as though she was weighting up just how much of what she already knew to actually reveal.


Then, after a long pause, she nodded, deciding to go much further than she has initially planned.


“Ginny," she began "I need to tell you about Horcruxes."


****

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129008