Forever by Summer Potter



Summary: Harry and Ginny are faced with every teenager's nightmare with the future changed forever, for better or worse. They'll need to find a solution before the wizarding world is immersed in war, and or else be torn apart forever over one complicated mistake.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2010.08.29
Updated: 2010.08.30


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1- Face the Truth
Chapter 2: Chapter 2- Worthless Promises
Chapter 3: Chapter 3- Breakups and Makeups
Chapter 4: Chapter 4- Forever


Chapter 1: Chapter 1- Face the Truth

Author's Notes: Part 1 of the Forever Trilogy.

This story was written around 2005 with a general re-write/clean-up April 29, 2009. Disclaimers for the HP universe.
Enjoy!!!


Ginny ran a brush through her long, fiery red hair, while staring at herself in the mirror in her dormitory. She was the first one up this morning, and had thrown up a few times. Now, with a pounding headache and a queasy stomach, she was getting dressed to go to the Great Hall early. Very early, in fact. It wasn't even six in the morning yet, but she hated being sick and being trapped in bed.

She was in her sixth year at Hogwarts, and there was only a month left of school. She had been spending a lot of time with Harry, trying to strengthen their relationship before she was left to finish school, and he would be focusing on becoming an Auror. Life had gotten off to a great start and she was thrilled at the idea of a future with Harry. She still couldn't believe how lucky she was. Harry had even mentioned marriage in passing. Ginny was secretly hoping he'd propose to her soon, perhaps in the summer, but she kept this to herself.

She dropped her brush into her trunk, and quietly left the dormitory. She hurried down the steps, and appeared in the cool common room. It was empty and clean, which meant the house elves had been in there cleaning. Walking to the portrait hole, she climbed out, and started for the Great Hall. Feeling rather sick and dizzy again, she picked up her pace, deciding to first go to the Hospital Wing to get a potion.

'Must be the flu," Ginny thought miserably, wiping beads of sweat from her brow.

After what seemed like an eternity, she opened the doors to the hospital wing and was greeted by a startled Madame Pomfrey who came from her office.

"Madame Pomfrey," she whispered, keeping her voice down for the other occupants of the Hospital Wing. Ginny swayed on the spot, swallowing hard so she wouldn't throw up. What was wrong with her? Ginny's breathing had become shallow, and shaky. Her head spinning, she slumped against the empty bed to her left as the room continued to spin.

"Miss Weasley, are you all right?" Madame Pomfrey asked anxiously, placing a hand on her shoulder. Ginny however was about to faint. Shutting her eyes, she felt her body fall backwards onto the soft bed, and then she felt nothing at all.

A little after seven, McGonagall was leaving the Hospital Wing in shock and disappointment after a brief discussion with Madame Pomfrey. She gave the password to the Head Master's office and went to pass the news about Ginny to Dumbledore.

"Professor Dumbledore," Professor McGonagall called grimly, opening the door. "I've just been to see Poppy. Miss Weasley fainted very early this morning in the Hospital Wing." McGonagall began carefully.

"Sit down," Dumbledore said kindly, motioning at the chairs in front of his desk, but she shook her head no.

"She stumbled in at five to six as white as a sheet and collapsed. Poppy got her into bed, and it didn't take long to figure out that she... well..." she pursed her lips.

"Is she all right?" Dumbledore asked, leaning forward in his chair slightly in concern.

"She is...yes. But...she didn't collapse of NORMAL circumstances," McGonagall explained carefully. 'Poppy...discovered- well, Miss Weasley's pregnant' she spluttered. She let out an exasperated breath.

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows. "Well... what an interesting way to start the day." He got slowly to his feet. "And I'm not naive enough to suggest that the child isn't Potters."

McGonagall bristled. "As if that boy's life needs to become more complicated."

Dumbledore went to the door and motioned for McGonagall to follow him. "I'll go and speak with her. Has she been informed of her condition yet?"

McGonagall shook her head no. "No, nothing like this has happened in many years."

"Indeed. And with all the talk of Voldemort and when we think of Mr. Potter it isn't exactly in terms of fatherhood or his relationship with Miss Weasley." He looked slightly amused as they proceeded toward the Hospital Wing.

"Oh Dumbledore, you aren't happy for them, are you? This is inappropriate."

Dumbledore patted McGonagall's shoulder. "I very much agree. And while I think it'll be quite a struggle for the couple. In Harry's case... I think something as wonderful as new life might be a nice change."

"Your optimism always astounds me." And with that, McGonagall opened the door to the Hospital Wing.

"Poppy," McGonagall called nervously to the matron, who was tending to an ill Hufflepuff student. Spotting the Head Master, Poppy nodded in acknowledgment and turned back to her patient to see to giving the boy a potion. Dumbledore and McGonagall made their way to Ginny, who was sitting on the bed, confused as to why she was asked to wait there.

"Miss Weasley?" Ginny looked confused at the Head Master and McGonagall's presence.

Before McGonagall could speak, Dumbledore turned to her. "Professor, perhaps, I could have a moment alone with her,' Dumbledore requested pleasantly. McGonagall hesitated for a moment, but nodded and left without a word.

"How are you feeling?" he asked kindly, looking at Ginny over his half-moon spectacles. "I am told you had a rather interesting start to your day."

Ginny nodded. "I'm feeling a bit better, thank you, sir." She watched as Dumbledore pulled close the screen and waved his wand quickly around the bed.

"Miss Weasley, Madame Pomfrey has come to a conclusion as to what is causing your symptoms, and while it is certainly shocking, I feel it is better to come out with it." He paused and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Am I okay?" she asked worriedly, her brown eyes projecting nervousness and fear of her health.

"Yes," he nodded, "Or at least we hope so." His lips twitched as if to smile.

Ginny frowned, and he continued, "Miss Weasley...it seems you are pregnant."

What little colour that was left on Ginny's face drained away. Her hands began to shake horribly, her eyes welled with tears, and her stomach felt suddenly ill once again. She shook her head furiously.

"I can't be; I mean...no...' she cried hysterically, raising a hand to her face, a trembling white hand. She looked around anxiously to see if anyone had heard.

"I've cast a temporary silencing charm, not to worry." Dumbledore stood up. "I think it would be best, however, if we speak in my office. We can discuss your options and so forth. Would you feel more comfortable, I wonder, though, if Madame Pomfrey discussed such things with you?"

With her eyes welled with tears, she shook her head. "No offense, sir, but this is not a conversation that would feel comfortable with anyone."

Dumbledore patted her shoulder again, and together, they left the Hospital Wing. Ginny felt dizzy again, but this time, she was in shock. It had crossed her mind, once or twice, that this was a possibility, but then again, she and Harry had always been careful. Her stomach churned at the reality before her: she was going to have a baby at seventeen!

They arrived at the Head Master's Office, and Ginny took a seat, as instructed. Dumbledore stared at her, not as a student, as he used to, but as an adult, and this frightened her for some reason.

"I think we shall start with confirmation that the father of this child is our Mr. Potter?"

Numbly, Ginny nodded, unable to speak. She couldn't believe this! Why her? She drew a deep shuddering breath and clutched at her robes.

"You seem as if you might have suspected this?" He asked gently, sliding a box of tissues across his desk.

Ginny hesitated. "Every girl has... scares," she stammered. "I mean, I thought... maybe, but I denied it was possible." She buried her face in her hands and snatched a tissue from the box.

She looked up suddenly. "Will... you tell my parents?"

Dumbledore sat up a little straighter. "No, you are nearly of age. This task will be left up to you. My concern is your health and your adjustment. I will encourage you to finish school, despite the... social implications."

At her nod, he continued, as Ginny began to cry silently again. "There are a few options for you," he added quietly. "You may keep the child and raise it, you could have an abortion, or you could arrange for an adoption."

Ginny pondered for a second but her choice was immediate.

"I'm keeping the baby," she told him firmly, her voice quivering.

Dumbledore nodded. "And the next matter of business... is Harry. I will also encourage you to speak with him immediately and discuss things with him." He paused. "We will worry about other... darker... things and concerns a little later. I think for now, you have a lot to cope with."

"May I... May I go?" Ginny asked weakly. Dumbledore nodded. "Thank you, sir."

Ginny practically ran from his office. She needed to go scream; let it all out. She knew of the possible dangers of having a baby so young. She knew that it would spoil opportunities in life and put a hold on her goals.

She knew that allowing this to happen was a mistake, but the consolation was that she knew in her heart, she could do this. And that so many worse things could have happened. Telling her parents and family would be horrible, and facing the other students at school would be social suicide, but on the positive side, she knew that this was what she wanted. Having a baby with Harry had just happened a few years ahead of plan.

She had a vague feeling she remembered the night that this had happened, but a visit to healers would determine how far along she was. She loved Harry and she thanked Merlin she knew he loved her too. She was so deeply in love with him, and Ginny just hoped he wouldn't reject her for this. After all, this was going to rudely change his plans as well.

She had just walked into the entrance hall to head outside when someone called her name. It was Harry. Feeling her knees go weak, and throat go dry, she turned to face him...face the truth. She took a deep breath and as she watched him approach, she suddenly felt unsure if her confidence in their relationship was more in her head than it actually was.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2- Worthless Promises

Ginny rushed outside to the nearest tree, and doubled over to catch her breath. She groaned, and punched the tree in anger. A horrible pain shot through her fist, and she bit her lip in pain. Why was this happening to her? It was a beautiful day in May and she should be enjoying it, like a normal sixteen year old should, perhaps with Harry. She was terrified right now, but she couldn't help picturing herself sitting under the shade of this tree; his arm tossed casually over her shoulder, and enjoying the afternoon together.

How could she possibly be normal again? In February of next year, she'd be having a child at seventeen years old! She ran a trembling hand through her hair, and turned, only to lose her breath in sharp gasp.

There he was.

His jet black hair tossed in the wind, his green eyes full of concern. He hurried to her, and took her trembling hands into his own still, warm ones. She wondered vaguely over her expression, trying to determine whether she would seem more ill than afraid to him right now. She wore her expressions on her sleeve; an annoying habit that gave her a terrible poker face.

"Are you all right? I heard you were in the Hospital Wing, and I-,"

"There's something I need to tell you,' she spluttered, interrupting him. There was no way he'd talk first. This had to be said now, before she had another moment to delay or make up a reason to avoid this.

"Its okay,' he breathed, seeing the fear and desperation on her face. He placed a hand on her cheek, his thumb gently stroking her skin.

The touch felt almost wrong to her, but she didn't pull back. She felt tears burning in her eyes again, but she fought them; she had to win this fight. "I'm...Harry-,"

"Ginny!' called Ron, joining them. He looked worried as well. "Are you okay? I heard you collapsed in the Hospital Wing!"

She became distracted, and dropped his hands. "Er- yeah," she forced a smile, but her guilty conscious remained. "Uh, Ron, could you give me a moment with Harry... alone?" she asked meaningfully.

"Sure," he said slowly. Ron turned to Harry briefly, scrutinizing the way he held her face. "Hands off her, Harry," he added to Harry sharply, then began back up to the castle.

Ginny tried not to roll her eyes at her brother's bluntness. Typical.

As soon as he was out of ear-shot, Harry turned to Ginny. "What is it?" he asked.

"I'm pregnant," she muttered under her breath. Her heart was pounding against her chest, and she could hear words of rejection echoing in her mind. She closed her eyes, unwilling to see the shock, hurt or anger that would surely be on his face.

"What?" he said because she had spoken so quietly.

"I'm pregnant," she repeated, still quietly, but loud enough so he could hear this time.

It was Harry's turn to go pale. "You're serious?" he spluttered.

Tears won again, and she nodded grimly. "Look, if you don't want a child, then fine, but don't try and be friends with me! I don't need a pity friendship," she snapped, wiping her tear-streaked cheeks.

"Gin," he breathed shakily. "Don't think I don't want the baby," he said, clutching her arms nervously. "I'll be there, 100%," he added firmly, but judging by her expression she didn't believe him. He'd heard of pregnant women and their hormones, and this, he supposed, was one of those times.


"Good, because this baby needs a father," she sobbed. He pulled her closely to his body, and hugged her tightly. She cried onto his chest, and stood in his embrace until her tears flowed no more.

"I love you, Gin, I hope you know that," he told her softly, kissing her head lovingly. "I'll take care of the baby while you're in school, then after classes, I'll arrange to have you sent to my home, and we can spend the rest of the day together, with the baby."

She smiled at him, she couldn't help it. "Really?"

"Of course, it's my fault you're pregnant; I'm taking the responsibility," he responded soothingly.

"What are you saying?" she exclaimed in horror, pulling away from him. "That this is something you HAVE to do?"

He took a brave step forward, staring into her brown eyes. He didn't want to upset her further, and panic would cause doubts.

"Ginny, it's not like that. I love you, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Let's just concentrate on making arrangements for when the baby comes. I know getting upset isn't good for our child."

She didn't want to listen anymore. The impression he was giving her was that this wasn't something he wanted to do, to become a father. As if she needed one more reason to be upset today; as if finding out she was pregnant at seventeen wasn't bad enough.

"No, its fine, I've already got something in mind," she said coldly.

His answering expression was one of hurt and Ginny grimaced slightly from the guilt that washed over her briefly. She quickly lightened her tone to one that resembled non-chalence, as if he'd merely blown her off on a date.

"I'll finish school, and have my parents look after him or her. Then, I can look for a house, and go from there. It'll be okay," she said, her voice only breaking once.

His eyes narrowed and he took a moment to respond. "What about me?"

"I'm not mean, Harry! I can tell how you feel about this, so I won't let you get all upset and stressed. I care about you, love you, but I can't possibly be around someone who won't put their heart into being a real father," she laughed, meaning to sound more joking at the mere idea of staying with someone who didn't want this, but really it came out cruelly.

"No I-," he began.

"No, you know what, Harry, it's really okay. I've got thoughts on this, and I can make it on my own. So what if I'm going to be a single mother? I'm not stupid, so leave me be. I'll have this baby, on my own, and then, once I'm done school, I'll leave you alone to get on with your life."

With that, she turned on her heel and stormed up to the castle. She couldn't believe what he'd basically said.

"Ginny," he called to her back. "Please, I'm sorry, but if you would just hear me out."

"I don't want to hear anything you've got to say," she called back over her shoulder without turning around. It took everything she had to keep walking, to not fall to pieces. How had her world shattered in less than an hour?

"Gin..."

"Oh go to hell!" she yelled at him, hurrying inside the castle and disappearing.

She hurried into the girls' toilets, and into a stall. She slammed the door, set the seat down, and sat on it, letting her tears flow freely. She was so alone in this, and it hurt to think what lay in the future for her.

About 15 minutes later, she heard the door open for about the tenth time since she'd been in there.

"Ginny," came Hermione's cautious voice. Ginny looked up slowly at the door. "Ginny, Professor Dumbledore told me to come and get you," she said carefully.

"Why?" she called from behind the locked door, wiping at her wet cheeks.

"He needs to talk to you and so do I," she said calmly. "Please come out."

Knowing she wouldn't be able to argue with Hermione, and not really wanting to, she left the stall, feeling horrible about all of it. She was going to be a single mother and Harry... she didn't even want to think of where she stood with him now.

Hermione wrapped her arms around her, and sighed, "I'm sorry. I haven't a clue what you're going through, but I'm here for you."

Ginny sighed in agreement, releasing her. "How do you know?"

"McGonagall told me; she thought I ought to know." At the look on Ginny's face, she quickly added, "But I'm the only one who knows. Did you tell Harry yet?"

"Yes," she said grimly, walking beside Hermione, as they left the girls' toilets. She then told Hermione about how he'd taken it.

"It's possible, of course, but are you POSITIVE that's what he wants?" Hermione asked carefully, as they turned a corner for the staircases.

"I really don't care", she rolled her eyes, as they started up the stairs. "It was both of our faults, and I'm the one carrying the baby, I'm responsible for this child's life. I want what's best for it, and if it means keeping him or her away from Harry, so be it."

"Don't you think that's kind of ... cruel?" Hermione asked slowly, continuing to lead Ginny upstairs to Dumbledore's Office "I mean... we've known him for HOW long, Gin. Can you honestly tell me that Harry wouldn't want a family? He's never had a family... YOU are his family... you and this baby."

This made Ginny pause, but she sighed and waved this glimmer of hope away. "Hermione, I can't have my baby around a father who doesn't really want to be apart of his own child's life," she explained fiercely, as they arrived at the Headmaster's Office.

Hermione gave the password, and then gave Ginny a final hug.

"Good luck," she whispered, leaving Ginny to walk up the stairs to what lay ahead.

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3- Breakups and Makeups

Ginny knocked softly before opening the office door. She paused in the doorway in mild shock to notice that Harry, her parents, Sirius, and Professor Dumbledore were all assembled in the room. Instantly, she felt her face drain of blood; she felt dizzy again. Her parents knew already? She kept her eyes away from her mother's face; dreading the emotions that would be vividly expressed there.

Harry was painfully staring at her; Sirius was leaning against a wall, staring at Dumbledore's desk. She chanced a brief glance at her mother who looked rather pale, and her eyes were red, as if she'd been crying. Her father was looking grave and highly disappointed. Professor Dumbledore was staring intently at Ginny, though he did not look upset or angry.

She tried to remember to breathe as she moved into the room.

"Come in, Miss Weasley," Dumbledore said calmly. Ginny moved unwillingly closer to the occupants of the office and took the last seat on the side. "Now, I think it time we discuss the issue calmly.. I'll give you ten minutes of privacy. Please feel free to the delightful raspberry treats on that little bowl there," he added, and swiftly left the office.

As soon as the door shut, her mother burst into hysterical sobs, Mr. Weasley refused to look at his only daughter, and Sirius seemed conflicted between the urge to lecture Harry or storm out.It was Harry who spoke first.

"Please don't blame Ginny for this," he begged Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. "I'm really sorry this happened. We had no idea..."

"Harry, believe me when I say this; I do not put all the blame on either of you,' Mrs. Weasley said rather coldly to him, which was a big change from what he was used to. "I'm VERY disappointed in the both of you." She frowned and then crossed her arms. "However, I'm willing to place all of this aside... for the baby's sake."

Harry hung his head. "Still...we were... careful... I never expected this to happen. I love Ginny more than anything, and I'll do anything for her."

Ginny glared at Harry, her temper rising over the panic. "Harry, stop being so damn noble, and shut the hell up!" Sirius's face twitched in mild amusement at the comment.

"Ginevra Margaret Weasley," Mrs. Weasley gasped.

"That was uncalled for," her father added, finally speaking up, but his eyes only glanced upon her and did not meet her eyes.

"So what ARE we going to do?" Sirius asked impatiently, standing up straight and looking at Ginny then Harry.

"Well...the punishment can wait until after Ginny has the abortion and then-" Mrs. Weasley responded a bit too quickly.

"NO!" Ginny yelled angrily, getting to her feet. "I'm NOT getting an abortion. I'm keeping this baby! It's not fair to destroy an innocent life because I was stupid!"

"We-We were so stupid" Harry corrected anxiously.

Ginny glared at Harry angrily, but tore her gaze from him when her father spoke up.

"Ginny, don't make this harder on yourself. You're too young to have a baby, and it's not fair to ask Harry to take on a responsibility. What about the things you want to do with your life... a baby will change all of that."

"He's got a valid point," Sirius remarked quietly, folding his arms, and leaning back against the wall.

"I can't and won't let my baby die," Ginny cried out frantically. "How could you even think of doing this to your first grandchild?"

"It's Harry's baby too," Mrs. Weasley reminded her loudly. "Ginny, you could seriously hurt yourself having a baby this young! What if there are complications and the baby doesn't make it? You're only sixteen! How can you even consider letting this one mistake ruin your life?"

"You'll have plenty of time for a family after school," Mr. Weasley inserted sternly.

"No! I can't let you kill my... er... our baby,' Ginny threw an angry look at Harry when she said this. "This child is here because of my stupid mistake. I'm sorry...Mum, Dad, Sirius. Harry-" she hesitated before turning to Harry.

"I'll be there for the baby too," Harry added firmly to Ginny's parents and Sirius.

Ginny decided to argue with him later on this point, so she kept quiet. She was still partly convinced he didn't want this as much as he said he did. There was still a distinct difference between wanting to be a father, and wanting her to be happy and have what she wanted.

"Ginny-" Molly began again, tears springing into her eyes again but Mr. Weasley placed a hand on her shoulder and murmured something into her ear. A long moment passed and then Mrs. Weasley sniffed and wiped her eyes.

"Fine," her mother snapped. "I know my daughter to know when she's made up her mind. I do not agree with this, Ginny. You know my opinion, and that I do not support this."

"Molly, isn't that a bit harsh?" Mr. Weasley asked his wife, but she ignored him.

Ginny glanced at Harry's face. His expression was heartbreaking to her. The pain in his eyes was making her feel horribly guilty. He looked tired, sad, and lost all at once.

"I've got to be going. I'll fetch Dumbledore on my way out," Sirius announced quietly, taking Ginny away from her guilty thoughts. "Let me know if anything changes," he added to the adults. "Keep in touch, and good luck," he muttered quietly to his godson before swiftly leaving the office.

"We'll go too," Mrs. Weasley said hastily, still looking angry with Ginny's decision. "Arthur, come along. Ginny, I'll be expecting an owl," she said hurriedly, already leaving the office as she said it. "Or several... I'll sleep again when I know you've got SOME sort of plan."

Once the door snapped shut, Ginny slumped miserably in her seat, feeling exhausted. This was emotional hell...

"I'm sorry about all of this," Harry told her quietly, once the footsteps had faded. "Gin, we've made a mistake, but I promise I'll be there. I'll do all I can to help."

"Can we not talk about this?" she asked rudely, looking away from him. "I can't believe this is happening! This is a COMPLETE nightmare," she moaned, covering her face with her hands.

"Ginny, what's wrong?" he begged, persisting in talking with her.

"What don't you understand about leaving me alone?" she snapped at him, just as Dumbledore re-appeared. She was totally fed up with Harry right now and she was worried that Harry insisting on speaking with her just might result in Harry having a broken nose.

"Miss Weasley, I've contacted a teacher to help you become a proper parent. She'll come Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Don't worry about the cost; school funds will be used to pay for it," Dumbledore said matter-of-factly, taking his seat behind his desk. "And Harry, of course, will be expected to attend as well," he added to Harry, who nodded in agreement.

"Ginny, there are options for you, as I'm sure taking care of the baby will be difficult for you on top of your studies. Therefore, you have three options: One, Harry can look after your child; two, you can higher a sitter; or three, take shorter courses. The third option will push your limits, but it will allow you to finish school by the middle of next year, which will be around the time of the birth of your child"

Without having much thought on this, she licked her lips and made a decision. "I'll finish early, sir" she told him, not even glancing at Harry for approval. "It'll be difficult... but I think that's what's best."

"Gin, I could look after the baby you know," Harry reminded her quietly, but right now, she didn't want their child near him. What was the point of having a father whose heart wasn't into having this baby in the first place? And another question, why did she keep asking herself this?

"You're courses start tomorrow. You won't attend class with everyone else. You'll have another teacher, who specializes in this area. Your day starts earlier than everyone else's, ends later, everything is taught quickly, so you really must concentrate. If you're successful, you can finish by December, and you'll have two months left to get a job and prepare for your child," the Headmaster explained carefully.

Ginny nodded. She watched as Dumbledore pulled out a folder and handed it to her. "Everything you will need," Dumbledore told her, watching as both Harry and Ginny got to their feet.

"Thanks," Ginny said and forced another smile. She then left the office; Harry was right behind her.

"Can I talk to you?" he asked irritably, grabbing onto her arm. "I think we've been through too much and known each other too long for you to keep storming off on me or snapping at me, Ginny."

Ginny stopped dead in her tracks and faced him. "Fine, Harry. Go ahead," she replied dully, her eyes flashing dangerously at him.

"Why are you pushing me away? I have just as much right as you do to be with our child!" he asked angrily, finally unleashing his temper. He was fed up with her acting like there had never been a relationship, even if they had made a huge mistake.

"Harry, don't you get it?" she shrieked. "This isn't about pushing you away. It's about you! What you said-"

He stared at her for a few moments and then continued. "Whatever I said...whatever I said that made you think I don't want a part of this...it's not true, Gin," he admitted. "I'm scared as hell I won't be good enough and I'm even more scared I'm losing you, but you have to believe you when I tell you I'm going to be there. I'm going to be there for the classes, I'm going to be there when you go into labor, I'm going to be there when the baby's born, and I'm going to be there when it's growing up. You just...have to believe that!"

She wearily watched his face and opened her mouth to protest when he suddenly leaned in and pressed a firm, passionate kiss to her lips. She was hesitant at first, startled at his lips against hers.

"I love you, and I know that even though you probably want to hex me across the corridor right now, but you need to understand this. My life may be complicated by Voldemort and the dark arts... but that has to all end some day. And on that day, I would have gotten down on one knee and asked you to marry me. I wanted and still want a family with you. I want all of this... and although it's earlier than we planned, I don't think that matters."

He kissed her again, this time a little more gently. "You're the woman I want to be with, and you're having our baby. There's nothing more in life I could have ever asked for."

She believed him; that was that. Well She did question it a bit, but she trusted him, a lot and that said something. "I'm sorry," she whispered, her voice quivering. Tears burned her eyes, she wanted him there, and she always had. But she didn't if he wasn't going to be there. It had all changed, why so suddenly she didn't know.

"I love you," he told her. "Forever and always, I love you" he repeated, as he walked closer; staring intently into her eyes. Seconds later, she wrapped her arms around him and found her lips pressed firmly against his. They were back together...everything was going to be okay!

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4- Forever

Ginny had taken an extra month to complete the combined two years, but now she was just counting down the days until her due date. It had been extremely hard at times, but she'd made it through. Her parents were at least pleased with this, and after seeing that Ginny had dedicated herself to finishing school, had ended their disappointed silence with her.

Harry had constantly asked her to move in with him, so he could take her to St. Mungo's when she went into labor. She, however, said no. Her parents were already disappointed with her being pregnant at 17; she didn't want or need anymore shame on her shoulders. Her mother had always said it wasn't right to live with a man before marriage. Ginny had also gotten a job in Diagon Alley working in the Leaky Cauldron until she could go get a job at the wizarding day care as a teacher.

She was living in an apartment in Hogsmeade, with Harry coming and going often to check up on her. He gave her a special port key, normally used in rescue situations, that now was issued for pregnant mothers. Harry, being an Auror, had managed to get a hold of one, and gave it to Ginny for when she went into labor, if he wasn't there.

Today, Hermione was over for the afternoon, and the two women had just sat down in the kitchen to have a cup of coffee. Hermione, who was engaged to Ron now, was on the verge of lecturing Ginny; she was sure of it.

"So, how are you and Ron doing?" Ginny asked casually, setting a mug of hot coffee in front of Hermione, and a cold glass of water in front of herself. She could have decaf, but her stomach didn't feel like coffee the moment she'd smelled the delicious fumes wafting from the pot.

"Fine, fine. He's in such a wonderful mood," Hermione said with a smile at Ginny. She then turned the tables. "How are you and Harry doing?" she asked finally, wanting to skip the small talk.

"What about us?" Ginny asked, taking a long drink of water, and swallowing.

She smiled slightly. "Well, everyone's wondering, Gin. Are you two getting married?"

Ginny tried to keep her expression neutral. She had been wondering the same thing for a long time now. "He hasn't asked me, and we haven't talked about it." Ginny muttered, looking away from Hermione for a moment. She then admitted her fear. "I don't think he's serious about this."

Hermione shook her head, laughing. "Harry! Not serious? You've got to be joking! He's ecstatic. Besides, he keeps telling you this is what he wants! How many times do you need to hear it."

"Hermione," whined Ginny. "I'm having his baby in three weeks, and he hasn't shown any signs of wanting to propose to me!"

Hermione continued to smile and shrugged. "I wouldn't worry about that... I'd only wondered if you had discussed it.He's good at keeping things bottled up," Hermione said firmly. "Doesn't he kiss you? Tell you he loves you?"

"Of course he does, but-"

Hermione held up a hand to stop her argument. "No, Gin, he'll do it. He's just probably scared of you turning him down or something. He loves you, and if I know Harry, he'll make it right again."

"I just hope it happens soon," she sighed in reply. She wanted to believe Hermione, but it was still difficult. What if Harry was planning to propose, but it wasn't out of love, but out of doing the right thing for this baby? Then there was the impatient pregnant hormonal side of her that dreaded that moment of wearing a white gown. Would she still look as beautiful after having the baby?

"Don't get yourself upset," Hermione warned her suddenly. "It's not good for the baby!"

"That's my point!" Ginny said hurriedly, then lowered her voice, in case Harry had come in without her knowing. "If Harry's not serious, it's not good for the baby once he or she is born"

Hermione frowned, shaking her head. "We already went through this months ago! How can you doubt Harry? He loves you more than anything, and he wants this baby just as much, and you know it!"

"You can't know that, Hermione! You just said he's good at keeping to himself," she exclaimed.

"Who?" said a voice from behind Ginny. Harry was here. Her heart was pounding. Why did he have to show up at difficult times?

Ginny spun around in her chair, and forced a smile. "My friend Joshua from Hogwarts. He came over today with his wife, and there was this big argument," she lied, picking a name off the top of her head.

"Joshua?" Harry frowned, trying to remember a 'Joshua.'

"You didn't know him. He's having marital problems." Hermione added to the lie, covering for her friend. She then looked at Ginny, getting to her feet. "Listen, Gin, I've really got to go. I have to go shopping for dinner tonight."

"Okay," Ginny nodded, getting carefully to her feet, and following Hermione to the front door to get her coat. Within a minute, Hermione left after saying goodbyes to Ginny and Harry.

Ginny turned around to go back into the kitchen, but Harry didn't get out of her way.

"There's no Joshua," he said quietly. She felt a rush of guilt speed to her heart, and reluctantly, she nodded. 'Why did you lie?' he asked

"There are things you don't understand, Harry. It's complicated...I can tell Hermione because she's a girl, and she knows you very well, and I know I can trust her"

"So, you can talk about me to Hermione, but not to me?" he asked painfully, his heart aching from the lies, and this talking behind his back.

Ginny sighed. He had a point... She shook her head, refusing to look him in the eyes. He had her cornered. "No... no I can't. I'm sorry."

"Ginny, what's going on?" he asked flatly, keeping his gaze on her.

"Nothing," she told him, then moved past him into the kitchen.

"Because there's something I need to tell you," he told her urgently, making her stop and turn around, finally looking at him. "Please sit down," he added gently.

She did as he asked because she really didn't feel like arguing with him anymore. She watched him closely, waiting to hear whatever it was he needed to tell her. He didn't want to be apart of this child's life anymore, and this was it, she knew it!

"I got a letter from my boss today. The Aurors are being shipped out to a new base... Voldemort's declaring war in his ways of ... massacre and violence."

This piece of information hit her in the face like a brick. "So...you're leaving," she bit out sadly. "When?"

"Next week. I really don't want to, Gin, but I have to go. All those people he killed... I need to get Voldemort back for all the pain he's caused. And... then there's you. I need to protect you and our baby. As long as he's still out there, I can't keep either of you safe."

She stood up, and ran her hands through her long hair. "When will you be back?" she asked miserably, her heart throbbing in her chest. She felt like she'd been punched in the stomach from the idea of Harry leaving.

"I don't know," he admitted quietly. "But what I need to know is...will you wait for me?"

This was it, the choice she had to make. Did she love him, or was he just some guy who fathered her child? She stared into his eyes, trying to find the answer in the pools of emerald green.

The choice came immediately. After all she'd been through, after all he'd done for her, it was obvious. Why she had not seen it before, she didn't know. Through all the shock of the pregnancy and preparing for this, it had muddled her standing with Harry. It was impossible to deny, however, with this imminent separation.

"Yes," Ginny whispered. She moved towards him, and hugged him tightly. He held her as close as possible with her belly. Tears spilled down onto his robes, as she clutched at him tightly. They stayed like that until Ginny's tears subsided.

She pulled away from him slightly, so she could look him in the eyes. "I'll wait for you... I promise."

He smiled weakly down at her. He leaned down slightly, kissing her lips with passion. He kiss ended after a few moments, and Harry stared back down at her, wanting to plant this moment in his memory forever and always.

"Please come back," she begged him, burying her face into his neck.

"Sweetheart, you know I would promise you this if I could," he murmured, stroking her hair and her back.

"I know," she said weakly, tears building up in her brown eyes once more. "I love you, though I'm not sure how you're still standing here after everything I've put you through. The hormones and stress have made me crazy."

He chuckled and shrugged. "You're my world... we're not saying goodbye or ending anything, okay? This is just... putting things on hold so I can-"

"Save the world?" Ginny suggested sadly, a teasing smile tugging at her lips.

"I was going to say protect you and our baby, but that too. Just promise me you'll keep yourself safe? You'll do everything you can? I need to come home to you, you know. It'll be you and this baby that keeps me going."

More tears spilled down her cheeks. "Of course," she breathed, holding him tighter.

"Good," he managed to get out, forcing a smile, though his heart was breaking. "Because I'll love you for forever, Ginny Weasley, you can count on that."

"I am," she answered with a smile.

------
THE END.

Harry's at war and Ginny is living up to her promise to keep herself safe. Read the sequel "EVERYWHERE" to find out what happens next!

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129045