Accidental Contact by Emlyn



Summary: A chance encounter on the streets of Diagon Alley lead to a life-altering experience for Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley.
Rating: PG starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: The Bond Challenge (2012-4), The Bond Challenge (2012-4)
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2012.11.14
Updated: 2012.11.15


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3
Chapter 4: Chapter 4
Chapter 5: Chapter 5
Chapter 6: Chapter 6


Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Author's Notes: Here is my entry for "The Bond" challenge. It is mostly unbetaed - I didn't even bother trying to find a beta during NaNo.


Chapter One


On one side of the street through Diagon Alley were Hagrid and Harry, buying school supplies. On the other side was Mrs. Weasley and children doing the same thing. When 11 y/o Harry and 10 y/o Ginny saw each other, they stopped, and then walked towards each other meeting in the middle of the Alley. Mrs. Weasley caught Hagrid’s attention when she called out to her daughter to come back. When the two children met up, they looked at each other for a few seconds then hugged each other like long lost, adult friends. A bright, golden white light started to engulf them for over thirty minutes while they didn’t move.

In the meantime, all the instruments in Headmaster Dumbledore’s office either spun out of control or exploded. Fawkes brought him to the source of his sensors at the same time the head of Gringotts Wizarding Bank arrived to witness this occurrence. The herald Goblin spoke first, breaking the silence of all those around.

“A Soul Bond. The strongest of the four known Bonds, never witnessed in over 1700 years. Gringotts will prepare for them.” And then he left, knowing the names of the new, bonded couple.


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Molly Weasley turned to Albus Dumbledore, confusion evident on her face. “Albus, what was that goblin talking about? What did he mean ‘a Soul Bond?’ My Ginny can't be bonded. She's just a baby.” She paused to take a breath and then continued. “Who ever heard of a Soul Bond anyway? Everyone knows they are just a myth. The only people who believe in Soul Bonds are authors of romance novels. It's all a bunch of balderdash!”

She turned away from Albus, before he even had a chance to reply, and approached the two children with a determined look on her face. Molly had had enough of this nonsense. She didn't have time to waste. She still needed to finish shopping for school supplies for her four sons, and she needed to return home to the Burrow and prepare supper for her family.

Before Albus could call out a warning, Molly Weasley was hurtled across the street and landed with a sickening thud against the exterior wall of the cauldron shop. He hastened over and bent solicitously over the stricken woman.

“Molly, can you hear me?” he inquired softly. He was attempting to not draw attention to their group, but his efforts were rather futile, considering the fact that two children were surrounded by a bright light in the middle of the Alley.

The Weasley boys looked torn. They didn’t know whether they should keep watch over their baby sister, or attend to their mother, who was still lying unmoving against the shop-front.

Dumbledore took charge. “Percy, watch your sister. If anything changes, let me know immediately.” He turned to the next eldest. “Fred, George, run to the Leaky Cauldron and Floo your father. Tell him he is needed in Diagon Alley and ask him to contact Andromeda Tonks and let her know we might need her services.”

Finally, he turned to the youngest Weasley boy, “What is your name, young man?” He asked brusquely, then without stopping to wait for an answer, Dumbledore continued, “I think it best if you went and sat down next to your mother. It will be reassuring to her to see you safe when she comes round.” He patted the boy gently on the shoulder.

“My name is Rrrron, sir,” he managed to eventually stutter out. He was rather overwhelmed at being addressed personally by the great Albus Dumbledore. He'd only ever seen him from a distance, and the elderly wizard was quite an imposing presence, especially up close. “What's wrong with my mum? Will she be all right? And why did Ginny do that to her? That wasn't very nice.”

Dumbledore looked around and was surprised that, apart from a few curious glances directed at the fallen Mrs. Weasley, no one was stopping and the expected crowds were not gathering. Had the Goblins done something to discourage people from noticing what was going on? Perhaps he ought to look into it, but first he had to deal with the situation at hand.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


“Excuse me, Mr. Potter, Director Ragnok respectfully requests a meeting with you, at your earliest convenience.”

Harry let go of the red-headed girl’s hand and turned to face the Goblin who had just addressed him. Recognition flared in his eyes.

“Griphook, isn’t it?” he began tentatively. At the Goblin’s affirmative nod, Harry continued. “Erm, I think I could come right now. Let me check with Hagrid.”

“Hagrid,” he called to the giant man who was standing a bit to the side. “Do we have time to return to Gringotts? They say they need to meet with me.”

Hagrid hemmed a bit and then admitted that they had no further commitments. He wasn’t certain that Dumbledore would approve, but the Headmaster was busy speaking with the angry red-headed woman, and he hated to bother him. He reasoned that since the Headmaster hadn’t told Harry couldn’t visit Gringotts, it would be alright.

“Erm, I ‘spect so, Harry. Don’t forget we need to finish yer shopping. Can’t have ye going off to Hogwarts missin’ half yer supplies,” he cautioned, giving Harry his reluctant approval.

Harry handed Hagrid his list. “That’s a brilliant idea, Hagrid. Here’s my list. You finish buying the supplies, whilst I meet with the Goblins. That way, I won’t be holding us up, and you can make certain I have everything I need.”

Hagrid stared bemusedly at the list in his hand and watched Harry walk swiftly away in the direction of Gringotts, Griphook by his side. Shaking his head, he glanced at the list and slowly set off to gather the rest of Harry’s supplies. At least he could buy Harry something special for his birthday, he consoled himself. He’d have to check out Eyelops Owl Emporium and see what they had in stock. Perhaps he could find something exciting for Harry - at the very least, he could buy him an owl.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Director Ragnok greeted Harry courteously and then glanced around expectantly. “Mr. Potter, where is your bond-mate?”

“Bond-mate? What’s a bond-mate?” Harry’s confusion was obvious.

The Goblin took a deep breath, then motioned for Harry to take a seat. He then seated himself behind his massive desk and steepled his long, thin fingers. He took a moment to appraise the young wizard sitting in front of him. He had much to impart to him, and he hoped the young man was sufficient to the challenge.

“Mr. Potter,” he began delicately, “when you and the young lady connected a short time ago, you created a bond between the two of you. She is your bond-mate. By initiating the bond, you have set into motion several momentous changes that will have tremendous repercussions.” He paused, gauging Harry’s reaction.

Harry sat in front of the Goblin, his face impassive. It was a skill he had perfected, living with his relatives. His uncle tended to be quite volatile, and he had learned early on that allowing his thoughts and feelings to show often proved to be detrimental to his health. He wasn’t certain how to react to what the elderly Goblin was saying, but he was determined to hear him out before coming to any conclusions.

“Please, sir, do continue,” Harry quietly urged. “I want to hear everything you have to say. There is so much I don’t understand. I never even knew I was a Wizard until early this morning. Hagrid was the one who explained to me that my parents hadn’t died in a drunken car crash.”

Harry looked a bit overwhelmed at the thought, but forcibly suppressed his emotions and focused his attention on the Goblin in front of him, intent on learning all that he possibly could. Here was someone who was offering to explain things to him, and, unlike Hagrid, he didn’t appear to be attempting to conceal information, and Harry wanted information.

There was one thing Harry had learned in his short life, and that was that the more information he possessed, the more he could protect himself. It didn’t necessarily give him power, but it did help to make wise, or at least wiser, choices. And wise choices led to a happier, healthier life - or at least that had been his experience up to this point.

“Having a bond-mate,” continued Ragnok in an even voice, “means that you are now legally considered an adult according to both wizarding and goblin laws.” He was about to continue, when Harry’s soft voice interrupted him.

“Excuse me, sir, why would having a bond-mate make me an adult? I’ve only just turned eleven.” Harry’s face revealed his extreme puzzlement.

“Marriage automatically grants one legal adult status,” was Ragnok’s succinct reply. He was curious as to how the young man would react to this pronouncement.

Harry mulled the statement over, before he jumped up from his seat, eyes wide, and started to pace around the room. After a minute, he resumed his seat, his face once again impassive. “Are you telling me that having a bond-mate means I’m married?”

Ragnok nodded his head.

“But I can’t be married,” Harry protested. “I’m only just eleven. And the girl, I don’t think she’s even as old as I am. We can’t possibly be married. We can’t.” Then he closed his mouth, bit back his protests and motioned for the Goblin to continue.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Several hours later, Harry emerged from Director Ragnok’s office holding a thick stack of parchment and a large cage containing an impressive-looking snowy owl. Upon entering the lobby, he met a sizeable contingent of people who looked to be waiting for him. He took in the group in front of him, and noted Hagrid’s absence. He wondered where he was and what had happened to his school supplies.

Since he wasn’t acquainted with anyone in the group, he made to move past them, but was stopped by the voice of an elderly man whose white beard easily reached his waist. He was clad in a rather flashy royal blue robe adorned with moons and stars.

“Wait, Harry, we must talk,” insisted the man.

“Excuse me, sir, how do you know my name?” asked Harry politely. Politeness he had learned, tended to smooth his way.

The elderly wizard laughed, blue eyes twinkling merrily. “Why, Harry, my boy, everyone knows your name. Be that as it may, I am Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”

“Oh, then you must be the one who placed me with the Dursleys,” stated Harry blankly.

“Why, yes, so I am,” responded Dumbledore, a bit non-plussed that Harry was aware of that fact. “Which brings us directly to the topic we must speak about. Lend me your arm, and I will be happy to answer your questions while I escort you back to your aunt’s and uncle’s.” He held out his arm for Harry to grasp, and was unnerved when the boy moved back several steps instead of taking his arm.

“Come, my boy, it is time to go. We have tarried here too long, and we are starting to attract attention. It is no longer safe for you to be here. Voldemort,” he whispered, “has eyes and ears everywhere.” He looked around, attempting to ascertain the level of interest Harry’s presence was generating.

Harry took two further steps backwards, and replied. “Thank you, sir, but I’m not planning on returning to my aunt’s and uncle’s. They would much prefer never to see me again, and I would hate to disappoint them. I’m going home.”

“But Harry,” Dumbledore spluttered, “your home is with the Dursleys. It is the only home you have. They are your only living relatives, and, as such, are providing you a level of protection you will not have anywhere else.”

Harry just shook his head. “I’m sorry, sir, but they aren’t my only living relatives. And my home was never with them. They hate me and everything about me. I’m never going back.” He turned around and addressed the Goblin standing behind him.

“Mr. Griphook, would you be willing to escort me home?”

Griphook indicated that he would be more than glad to help out such an esteemed customer.

“Don’t forget to check with the Director before we leave,” cautioned Harry. “I would hate for you to get in trouble for leaving your post.”

Albus stared at Harry in amazement. This could not possibly be happening. The boy had to return to his home. He needed the protection the blood wards afforded him. He made one further attempt to persuade the young boy to accompany him.

Stepping closer, Dumbledore reached out his hand to clasp Harry’s shoulder. Before his hand made contact with the young wizard, Harry had shrugged it away and was inching closer to the Goblin guards stationed at the rear of the bank.

Harry looked around warily at the other members of the group. The red-haired man didn’t look very threatening, but one could never be certain. The tall, stern-looking lady almost seemed to be gazing at him sympathetically, but she was in the company of Mr. Dumbledore, whom he wasn’t sure he could trust. The other man puzzled him. He was dressed quite shabbily, and looked tired and care-worn. The man almost looked sad to see him. Harry wondered why, but he didn’t have time to find out, because, at that moment, Griphook returned and proceeded to lead him out of the bank and into the street.

By the time Dumbledore reached the steps of Gringotts, the two of them had completely disappeared.

Minerva looked at him disapprovingly. “I seem to recall warning you, Albus, that they were the worst sort of Muggles, and that nothing good would come of this.” She turned to the shabby-looking man. “It was a pleasure to see you again, Remus. I do hope you will stop in for tea. I’ve missed our chats.” She nodded to the rest of the group. “Gentlemen, I shall take my leave. I have much to attend to before the opening of term. Albus, if you need me, you know where to find me. Arthur.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Upon landing, Harry thanked Griphook for his assistance and asked him to convey his appreciation to his superior. Griphook promptly disappeared, after all “Time was Money,” and Harry found himself alone in front of a stately looking manor built of cream coloured stone. He stared at it with awe. He owned a house! He’d never owned anything before. This was amazing!

Clutching the sheaf of parchment in his hands he slowly approached the house, eyes darting everywhere at once, trying to take it all in. He was not surprised when the door opened and several small creatures appeared in front of him and bowed low. The Goblins had informed him that his family owned several house elves who had been caring for the property in both his and his parents’ absence. The Goblins had explained that the elves would be overjoyed at his return and for the opportunity to serve him.

Several hours later, he was seated in the Potter family study, steadily working through a stack of mail and financial and legal documents. It appeared that someone had been blocking his mail. This had been discovered when Ragnok had mentioned the quarterly statements he was supposed to have been receiving. Harry had looked at the Goblin blankly. His Hogwarts letter had been the first piece of mail he had ever received in his entire life.

Ragnok had not been pleased to learn that and had done his utmost to retrieve the missing mail. Fortunately, it was not possible for anyone other than the intended recipient to dispose of mail. Thus, it simply remained an issue of locating the missing mail and retrieving it. Ragnok was not terribly surprised upon apprising the location of Harry’s missing mail. The man had appointed himself Harry’s caretaker after all.

Harry had quickly sifted through large stacks of fan mail and put those aside. More interesting were the enrolment letters he had received from several other schools of Magic. He read through those much more slowly, and then stuck his head into the Floo and called Ragnok for a conference. At the end of the conference, he had a much better idea of the opportunities being afforded him.

It was only eight in the evening when he pulled his head out of the Floo, but he ached all over, and he had a hard time focusing his eyes. Quickly recalling the information on bonds Ragnok had provided him with, Harry realised that he needed his bond-mate. Thanking the stars that the Director had provided him with not only her name, but also her address, Harry grabbed a bit of Floo powder off the mantel and concentrated on stepping through the Floo while clearly enunciating, “The Burrow.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


The Burrow was a scene of chaos and confusion. People were milling all about, talking loudly and gesticulating. At the table, slumped over wearily, head resting on her crossed arms, was his bond-mate. She looked completely defeated and quite uncomfortable.

Surprisingly enough, Harry’s entrance was scarcely noticed. The only person who espied him was a red-haired boy who looked to be a few years older than Harry himself. He grinned wickedly and nodded towards the table. It seemed that Harry had at least one ally.

Harry debated his next course of action. He was being physically compelled to join his bond-mate at the table, but knew it would be rather rude of him not to announce his arrival. While he was inwardly debating what to do, his bond-mate raised her head and the look in her eyes left him no choice. He slid in beside her, gently leaned her against his chest, and took her hand in his. Then he started speaking to her in a low soothing voice.

Ginny gave him a tired smile. With all that had happened this day, seeing him in her kitchen was hardly surprising, and she welcomed his presence. The short time they had had together earlier in the day had been nothing short of spectacular, and she had been heartbroken when her mother had whisked her away before she had had a chance to say goodbye, or anything else, for that matter.

After speaking together for quite some time, completely unnoticed by most of the room’s occupants, Harry gestured for the red-haired boy to come over. He introduced himself and asked for some help in acquiring the means with which to write a short note. The boy, who had identified himself as George, was quick to comply.

It didn’t take Harry long to compose a short note explaining the situation, and for he and Ginny to slip quietly out of the house via the Floo. In fact, it was the spark of green flames as they departed that drew everyone’s attention, and then - pandemonium ensued.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Chapter Two


Harry and Ginny were much too tired to do anything other than sleep, so they headed upstairs to the master bedroom where they found clean pyjamas (for both of them) laid out on the bed and toothbrushes and combs on the counter by the sink in the en-suite. They cleaned their teeth, donned their pyjamas and, by mutual consent, climbed into bed, curling up together under the covers. It felt a bit unusual, but perfect all the same. They would talk more in the morning.

Harry woke first, stretched, and almost fell out of bed in surprise. Slowly the previous days events re-played themselves in his mind, and he remembered why he was in a giant bed curled up next to a beautiful flame-haired girl. He lay there for a few minutes simply enjoying the sensations, before the call of nature forced him to scramble out of bed and hurry to the loo.

When he returned, he found that Ginny was now awake, eager to exchange places with him. Looking around the room, he notice two piles of clean clothes stacked on one of the chairs near the door to the dressing room. He grabbed his pile and emerged a few minutes later clad in new clothes that actually fit. House elves were amazing!

When Ginny re-emerged, still rubbing the sleep from her eyes, he called her attention to her pile of clothes.

Ten minutes later, the two were happily devouring a large breakfast at a round wooden table in the kitchen. They kept exchanging shy glances, blushing, and dropping their eyes back to their plates. Finally, Harry decided that this was ridiculous - after all they were bond-mates. They couldn’t continue behaving this way forever.

“Come on, Ginny,” he urged, extending his hand, “Let’s go outside and find a place to sit and talk.”

Ginny flashed him a grateful smile and eagerly took his proffered hand, following him out into the bright sunshine.

It was an uncommonly beautiful day, and both children were eager to take advantage of the excellent weather. Their explorations led them to a large shade tree overlooking a quiet pond, and they sat down cross-legged facing each other, knees barely touching.

Harry began. “I’m sorry for sneaking you out of your home last night. I hope your Mum won’t be too angry.”

“Harry, I’m not sorry,” responded Ginny earnestly. “Thank you for rescuing me. As for Mum, she’ll have gone spare by now, but I don’t see how we could have avoided that. In case you didn’t notice, it was loony in there last night.”

“Yeah. What was all that about?” Harry asked curiously. “I couldn’t make heads or tails of what they were talking about.”

Ginny reached across and brushed a stray lock of hair out of his eye before answering. “It was about what happened at Diagon Alley,” she explained bashfully. “Mum was going around the bend. She was furious with you and even more furious with Dumbledore for allowing it to happen. She kept insisting that someone had to do something about it. ‘She wasn’t going to stand for it.’”

Ginny paused, then looked inquiringly at Harry. “The thing is, I don’t know what she wasn’t going to stand for. Every time I tried to ask, she told me it wasn’t important, and I didn’t need to worry my pretty head about it.” She lowered her eyes again, and Harry was barely able to catch her next words. “But I think you know what it is, and I’ll bet a stack of Galleons that it is important.”

Harry took both of her hands in his and gently rubbed his thumb across the backs of them, as he sorted out the proper words with which to reply.

“Ginny,” he began gently, “do you know what happened yesterday? Did anyone explain anything to you?”

“Er, I know something happened when we touched. I think there was a bright light. I vaguely remember being surrounded by a dome, but not much else.” She bent her head forward, red hair hiding her fiery blush, as she continued. “I remember everything feeling right, like I’ve always known you.” She peeked up at him, trying to gauge his reaction.

Harry simply tightened his hold on her hands and continued to run reassuring circles over the backs of them.

“I felt that way, too,” he confessed quietly. “I knew I could trust you, even though we’d never met before. This is the first time I’ve ever felt that way about anybody.” He paused, inwardly debating whether or not to share his next set of thoughts with her. “I’ve never even had a friend before,” he confided. “Dudley always made certain of that.”

At her puzzled expression, Harry explained. “Dudley is my cousin. He hated me and threatened anyone who even attempted to speak with me.” He shrugged. “But that’s in the past. Things are different now. Now I have you,” and he flashed her a hopeful smile.

Ginny returned it, a bit tentatively, and then spoke. “But there is more to it, isn’t there, Harry? I wish I’d been able to go with you to Gringotts when the Goblin invited me, but Mum insisted we had to go home. She said Dumbledore would fix everything.”

Harry swallowed nervously. “The truth is, Ginny, Mr. Dumbledore can’t do anything about it. Please don’t hate me for what I’m about to tell you. I didn’t do anything on purpose.”

“Harry, stop babbling and just tell me what’s happening. I promise you, my imagination is probably worse than anything that you have to say.” Ginny pulled one of her hands free and rubbed it against his cheek.

Harry blushed and covered her hand with his own. “I swear to you, I didn’t even know what happened, until Mr. Ragnok explained everything to me,” he assured her earnestly. “You see, Ginny, because of what happened yesterday, you are now my bond-mate.”

Harry held his breath. He hoped she knew what a bond-mate was, and that he wouldn’t have to explain everything to her. There had to be some advantage to having grown up in the magical world. This beautiful, enchanting girl was his first friend, and, if the Goblins were right, his wife. He couldn’t bear for her to turn against him because of what had happened.

Ginny closed her eyes and concentrated on Harry’s words, which were repeating themselves in her mind in a seemingly endless loop. She was his bond-mate. His bond-mate. How could that possibly be true?

She had always been fascinated by the story of Harry Potter, and dreamed of meeting him and falling in love with him some day. But that day purported to be some time in the far distant future, not here and now. If Harry was telling the truth, that would never happen. She no longer had a choice. That concept was a bit strange, seeing as she was still only nine, and everything was rather surreal. She wondered if there would come a time when she would regret not having a choice, but, as of this moment, she didn’t mind in the least. She was with Harry, and it was right.

Of course, she knew what a bond-mate was. What magical child didn’t? Especially witches. It was what they all dreamed of - a fairy-tale come true. But everyone also knew that that was all it was - a fairy tale, like those found in Beadle the Bard. Yet, if Harry were to be believed, it wasn’t a fairy tale, after all, and it had happened to her. And to him.

Suddenly, Ginny’s head snapped up, a stunned look on her face, and she demanded, “Harry, does that mean we are married? That can’t possibly be true. We’re too young to be married. I’m not even old enough to attend Hogwarts,” she insisted.

Harry drew in a relieved breath. He wouldn’t have to explain everything. And, so far, she didn’t seem to hate him or blame him. Maybe there was hope, after all. “Yes,” he replied quite seriously. “According to Mr. Ragnok, we are married. Even if, technically, we are too young to be married. Apparently, a bond like ours supersedes all existing laws. It is what it is and can’t be changed.”

Ginny looked rather dazed. “Do you think this is what my Mum meant, when she said she wouldn’t stand for it?” she queried softly.

“I’m guessing it is. You do realise, don’t you, that this means we are adults in the eyes of both goblin and wizarding law. We can make our own decisions and do all the things that grown-ups can do,” Harry informed her.

Ginny processed this new bit of information. No wonder her Mum was so angry and hadn’t told her anything - she was afraid of what would happen now. She sat up straighter, pulling her hands out of Harry’s, and looked him in the eye, a new thought having suddenly occurred to her.

“Does this mean I’m no longer a Weasley?” she asked breathlessly, nervously plucking a blade of grass.

“Yes,” answered Harry, a bit smugly. “You’re a Potter now.” He nervously awaited her reaction.

A slow smile blossomed on Ginny’s face. “I think I like that. Ginny Potter. Ginevra Potter. Ginevra Molly Potter.” The smile grew even wider. “Yes, I most definitely like that.” She took Harry’s hand in her own and squeezed it. “Does this mean we are family now?”

“Yes. Yes, you and I, we are family. That is, if you want to be,” Harry quantified. He drew in a deep, ragged breath. “Now, we just have to face your family.”

Ginny’s face grew pale, and she bowed her head. She knew he was right, but she wasn’t looking forward to this at all.

Harry pulled his hand free, and tipped her chin up, so he was looking straight into her eyes. “Before we meet with your family, we need to finish talking about what we are going to do. Mr. Ragnok told me a great many things, and I found out I have more choices than I ever imagined, and you do, too.” He smiled at her reassuringly. “But, first, do you know where we are?” he asked teasingly.

“Erm, not really. Is this your home?” she guessed.

“It is now. This is the Potter family home. It’s called Gryffin’s Den. Do you think you might like to live here?” he queried, his voice a bit unsteady.

Ginny nodded her head. “Yes, I think I would. I like the feel of your house.”

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t you know? Every house has it’s own feel. The wizards and witches who live in a house rub off on it, contributing to its feel. Yours has a rather nice feel. It feels peaceful, and beautiful, and quite comfortable. Real people have lived here.”

Harry looked at her in astonishment. He had never thought about houses in that way before, but, now that she had explained things, it made perfect sense. “I’m glad you like it here,” he ventured shyly. “This can be your home from now on, if you’d like. We can live here together.”

Ginny nodded her head, then thought to protest. “But what about my family? Won’t I have to live with them? How could we live here alone? I don’t know enough to live by myself.”

Harry placed his finger against her lips. “Ssh, calm down. Relax.” He waited until she quieted, then removed his finger. “You don’t have to live with your family, if you’d rather live here,” he assured her.

“I don’t know your family, but if you’d rather live with them, I will go with you to live there,” he gamely offered, although he would really rather not. “Remember, we are family now. Where you go, I will go.” Harry caressed her cheek with the back of his hand. “If you’d rather live here, or if we have to live here because your family won’t accept me, we will figure things out. We have the house elves, who have taken very good care of me since I’ve arrived. Honestly, though, I’d prefer having a grown-up around to aid us. The problem is, I don’t know any adults I trust.”

Harry frowned as he continued. “You may not be used to living by yourself, but I’ve had plenty of practice.” He sounded quite disgruntled. “I’ve had to do all of the cooking and cleaning at my relatives’ house, and they’ve never lifted a finger to help me or take care of me for as long as I can remember.” He indicated his clothes. “These are the first clothes I’ve ever owned that fit me. I’ve always had to wear my cousin Dudley’s hand-me-downs, which wouldn’t have been quite so dreadful if he weren’t four sizes larger than I am. I had to filch a bit of string to hold up my trousers. They couldn’t even be bothered to get me a belt.”

Ginny reached across and gave him a comforting hug. Even though the prospect terrified her, it was nice to know that at least one of them knew how to live independently. She thought about her life at the Burrow. They didn’t have a lot of money, but at least they had had love. It seemed as if Harry had had neither. She had an overwhelming desire to provide all the love he had been missing up until now, and it startled her.

A terrifying new thought crossed her mind. “But Harry, you’re supposed to start Hogwarts in September, and I’m not old enough to attend. I can’t stay here alone,” she practically wailed.

Harry smiled a sly sort of smile. “Ah, that is where you are wrong. I almost forgot that we needed to discuss what we are going to do for school. Thank you for reminding me.”

Ginny gave him a rather puzzled look. “What am I wrong about?”

“Well,” he drawled, “You aren’t necessarily too young to start–“

“Of course I am,” she insisted. “Everyone knows you can’t start Hogwarts until after you turn eleven.”

“That may be true, but who said we had to go to Hogwarts?” Harry tossed out.

Ginny stared at him incredulously. Did he really suggest what she thought he was suggesting? Was he truly considering not attending Hogwarts? The thought verged on blasphemy. Everyone attended Hogwarts, or at least she supposed they did. What could Harry possibly mean?

“Did you know that Hogwarts is not the only school of magic in the British Isles? There are at least two others that I know of. On top of that, there are quite a few more scattered throughout Europe,” Harry continued.

Ginny’s eyes widened. This was news to her. Her family had always attended Hogwarts, the best school of Witchcraft and Wizardry there was, according to her mother. If there were other options out there, she’d never heard of them.

“No. Mum and Dad went to Hogwarts, and so have all my brothers. Nobody’s even hinted that there might be other schools out there. Hogwarts is the best,” she assured him.

“Actually, according to Mr. Ragnok, that’s not necessarily true. They may call themselves the best, but not everyone agrees with them, certainly not the Goblins,” insisted Harry.

“But, Harry,” Ginny protested, “don’t you want to go to Hogwarts? Professor Dumbledore is the Headmaster there, and he’s supposed to be the greatest wizard there is.” She was truly puzzled by his seeming reluctance to attend the school she had always dreamed of attending.

“That’s just the problem, Ginny,” Harry replied. “It was Mr. Dumbledore who decided I needed to live with my Aunt and Uncle. The thing is, though, he wasn’t supposed to do that. I found out I have a godfather. He was the one who should have taken care of me. The only problem was they put him in Azkaban for something he didn’t do,” he continued sadly.

Ginny wasn’t sure how to respond to this information. Surely it couldn’t be true. The Ministry would never let something like that happen, would they? Her father worked at the Ministry. He wouldn’t work for people who imprisoned Wizards falsely, would he?

“But Harry, how could that have possibly happened? Didn’t they give him Veritaserum during his trial?” Ginny asked, a faint frown marring her features.

“That’s just it. They didn’t give him a trial, they simply sent him to Azkaban.” Harry looked exceedingly angry at the the thought. “And Mr. Dumbledore was the Chief Mugwump, or at least that’s what Mr. Ragnok told me. He should have done something about it, shouldn’t he? Wouldn’t he have had the power to make sure that my godfather was given a trial?”

Harry picked up a stone lying next to his leg and threw it into the pond, scowling as he did so. “Plus, Mr. Ragnok told me that the Goblins tried to tell Mr. Dumbledore that my godfather was innocent, but he refused to listen to them. The Ministry wouldn’t listen to them either. Just thinking about it makes me extremely angry.” He pounded his fist into the ground.

It took him several minutes before he was able to regain his equilibrium. “It reminds me of what happened to me in primary school. I once tried telling a teacher about my life at the Dursleys, but they wouldn’t listen. They told me I had a vivid imagination, and that I should be careful about what I said about my guardians - that I wouldn’t want to get them in trouble. The Dursleys had the foresight to warn them that I was prone to telling fantastical tales. And Dudley obviously wasn’t neglected.” He clenched his fist in helpless rage.

Ginny scooted over so that she was sitting next to Harry. She pulled his hand in to hers and rubbed the back of it. “I’m so sorry, Harry. I wish I could make everything better for you, but I can’t.”

“It’s not your fault, Ginny,” Harry flashed her a tight smile. “You couldn’t have done anything, even if you had known. Grown-ups don’t tend to listen to children. Not the ones I’ve known. Maybe things are different in the magical world and in real families,” he added hopefully.

Ginny squeezed his hand reassuringly and called to mind all she knew about the Ministry and the Wizengamot. “I think you’re right, Harry. As the Head of the Wizengamot, Professor Dumbledore should have had the power to make certain that all prisoners received trials.” She cocked her head to one side. “I wonder why your godfather didn’t receive one. It sounds a bit fishy.”

“I agree. Now do you understand why I’m having a hard time trusting Dumbledore? He seems to mean well, but it sounds like he’s been careless, at least where my godfather and I are concerned.”

Ginny sat there, hard at thought. She weighed what her parents had told her about Dumbledore against the new information Harry was presenting her with. She was getting two very different pictures of the same man, and she was naturally having a hard time reconciling the two opposing viewpoints. Given what little Harry knew about the Headmaster, it certainly wasn’t surprising that he was uncertain about trusting him.

“What else have you heard, Harry?” she asked softly.

“Mostly small bits. As you can see, I have this wonderful house, where I could have been living all along. It’s quite safe. The Goblins have checked the wards, and they are some of the best they’ve ever seen. Mr. Ragnok said something about them being powered by powerful ancient magic. Then, there’s my vault at Gringotts.”

Ginny turned a questioning gaze upon him. “What’s wrong with your vault?”

“Well, nothing really. It’s just that the Goblins have been sending me statements and reports, and I’ve never received them. And Mr. Dumbledore had my key, which was rather peculiar, since he’s not one of my guardians. The Goblins don’t know how the key came into his possession.” Harry grimaced. “If I’d known I had money, I could have spent some on food and clothes. But then maybe my aunt and uncle would have tried to take it from me, just like they’ve been taking the money intended to provide me with food and shelter. All these years, they’ve complained about how expensive it has been to raise me, even though they hardly fed me, and never bought me clothes. The funny thing is, the Goblins assure me they were being paid monthly for my expenses.”

Ginny was biting her lip trying to hold back her tears. She knew Harry would never tolerate anyone pitying him, and it wasn’t that she was feeling pity, rather her heart was breaking to think of anyone treating someone as wonderful as Harry so poorly. He’d lost his parents, lost his guardian, had been forced to live with relatives who hated him, and been denied his heritage, yet he was still this loving, caring person. It was truly a miracle he had survived at all.

Before she could say or do anything, Harry leaped to his feet, grabbed her hand and pulled her up. “I’m famished! Let’s see what the elves have made us for lunch. Race you to the house. Last one there is an ugly troll.”

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Chapter Three


Over lunch, Harry told Ginny all about the different magical schools. Some were day schools, and some were boarding schools, like Hogwarts. Some accepted students as young as nine, and others wouldn’t accept students until they were thirteen. Some required a placement test before accepting a student, and many schools offered classes that differed greatly from Hogwarts.

The two poured over the brochures the Goblins had provided Harry, and Ginny was thrilled to realise that perhaps she, too, could start school in September. They eagerly discussed the advantages and disadvantages of the various schools, and, eventually narrowed their list down to five schools they were seriously considering. They wanted a school they could both attend that would offer accommodations to them as bond-mates. Ideally they wanted to start in the same year, they couldn’t imagine being apart for a year while Ginny finished schooling.

Both Harry and Ginny knew they would have to return to the Burrow, but neither was eager to hasten the inevitable confrontation. They discussed their options and decided that, even though they would prefer to have a firm plan in place before they sat down with her family, they could not, in fairness to Ginny’s parents, put off the meeting for even one more day.

They quickly penned letters of interest and inquiry to the five schools, and then hurried upstairs to spruce themselves up before presenting themselves to what amounted to a firing squad. Meeting back downstairs, they looked each other over. Ginny ran her fingers through Harry’s hair, then sighed as she gave it up as a lost cause. The two clasped hands and made for the Floo. Exchanging nervous glances, they silently decided Ginny should go through first. They would have preferred going through together, however they weren’t sure that was possible, so they chose the safer course of action.

When Ginny emerged from the Floo, she found the kitchen deserted, which she found a bit odd, considering her mother would normally be working on supper by this time. She waited for Harry to exit, grabbed his hand and whispered that she thought she could hear voices in the sitting room.

Together, the two of them tiptoed to the door that led to the sitting room and peered in. The room was full of people, some draped on chairs, others sitting on the floor. Dumbledore was seated at the far end of the room in a comfy chintz armchair, and it appeared as if he was holding court.

George was the first to spot them. He simply grinned, winked, and sat back, waiting for the show to begin. Molly, who had risen to fetch more refreshments from the kitchen, was the next to spot them, and she let out a shriek and rushed over to gather Ginny in her arms, holding on to her tightly, tears spilling down her face.

“Oh, my baby, my poor baby. What did that horrid boy do to you?” She pulled back slightly, looking Ginny over, to make certain that she was healthy and whole.

The Weasley matriarch then turned to Harry and glared menacingly at him. “How dare you take my daughter? Not even a note! You are a dreadful child, even if you did defeat You-Know-Who. I’ll have you brought up on charges before the Ministry, see if I don’t!”

Arthur rose and stood behind his wife, laying a soothing hand on her shoulder. “Now, Molly, why don’t we wait and see what Ginny and young Harry have to say. No sense in overreacting and causing more problems.” He hugged his daughter lovingly, and turned a stern gaze upon Harry.

“Young man, what do you have to say for yourself? Are you aware of how much distress you’ve caused our family by your careless actions? My wife has been beside herself with worry following Ginny’s disappearance yesterday. We’ve been frantically searching for her everywhere.”

Harry paled as he took in Ginny’s father’s stern visage and words. In truth, he hadn’t thought about her family’s reactions. He simply knew he had to find her, had to stop the discomfort he was feeling - they both were feeling. It had been easier just to slip away so they could converse in peace. His whole world had been spiralling out of control, and he had needed some space and tranquility. Without thought, without pre-meditation, he had pulled Ginny into the still pool that was his home.

Harry squared his shoulders and met Mr. Weasleys’ eyes. “I’m sorry, sir, for any trouble that I might have created. I didn’t mean to cause you and your family any concern.” He suddenly looked indignant. “Why did Mrs. Weasley accuse me of not leaving word? What happened to my note? I left it right on the kitchen table. It was intended to spare you some worry.”

Ginny piped up. “He did, Dad. I watched him write it.”

Molly tried to shush her daughter, murmuring that she shouldn’t be defending that dreadful boy.

Arthur, on the other hand, noted that Harry had not apologised for having taken Ginny with him, and he found that an interesting omission. He wondered what knowledge the boy possessed and what were his reasons for having absconded with Ginny. He nodded his acceptance of the apology, but his expression did not soften.

“Molly,” Arthur asked gently. “Was there a note on the table? You were the first one to notice Ginny’s absence.”

Molly looked abashed. “There might have been. I’m not certain. Ginny was gone, and he,” she accused, pointing at Harry, “stole her, and that was all that mattered.”

Arthur cast a disappointed look at his wife, and strode into the kitchen. There, on the floor, beneath Ginny’s chair, lay a piece of parchment, overlooked during the previous night’s unrest.

It was at this point in the confrontation that Dumbledore chose to intervene. “Mr. Potter, Harry, you have caused a great deal of worry to a great many people,” he rebuked the boy.

Harry noticed that his eyes were no longer twinkling the way they had been the day before. It appeared that Mr. Dumbledore was seriously displeased. He wondered why. Based on what Mr. Ragnok had told him, it could be any number of things.

“I must insist that you come with me, Harry,” Dumbledore demanded sternly. “You need to return to your Aunt and Uncle. Your disappearance yesterday caused them a great deal of concern. You cannot be running off like this. It is not safe.”

Harry took a step or two away from Dumbledore, not trusting that the man would not resort to means other than verbal persuasion to impose his will upon Harry. Out of the corner of his eye, he gauged the distance to the Floo and located the container of Floo powder, which had been moved since his visit the previous day. He wanted to be certain he had his retreat mapped out, in the event that that the situation turned unpleasant.

I’ll bet they were concerned. They were worried the money they receive for keeping me would stop, he thought bitterly.

Aloud, he stated. “Mr. Dumbledore, sir. I very much doubt my Aunt and Uncle cared one whit about my whereabouts, other than to count themselves fortunate that I wasn’t around.” He paused a moment, a speculative look crossing his face. “I dare say, they might have missed me, as there was no one do the chores. They might have to hire a maid now that I’m gone.” With a sly look, he added. “And then there is all that money they’re being paid to take care of me. I wonder what they spend it on? They feed me bread and water, I sleep in a cupboard under the stairs, and the only clothes I have are my cousin’s cast offs.”

Dumbledore’s face paled slightly at hearing Harry’s words, but he was unwilling to back down. “I will not tolerate any more cheek from you,” he declared, staring hard at the boy. “It is time for this game to end. I no longer have the patience for your childishness. Come along, now. Let us be off.”

Dumbledore turned to the Weasleys. “I am terribly sorry to have intruded. I will make certain that this young man does not trouble you again. It is clear that I will need to take him in hand. Arthur, Molly, thank you for your patience and your hospitality.” He reached over to take hold of Harry’s shoulder and missed.

Narrowing his eyes, he went to reach for his wand, but before he could free it from the sleeve of his robe, Harry had dashed across the kitchen, grabbed a handful of Floo powder and leapt into the Floo, his destination masked by outraged cries from the assembled Weasleys.

In the ensuing confusion, Ginny slipped around her parents and the Headmaster, and, with a few muttered words, disappeared in a swirl of green flames.

Fred and George were the only two who noticed her departure, and they were too excited at how well Harry and Ginny were pranking everyone, to bring it to anyone’s attention. As much as they respected their parents and the Headmaster, they were beginning to think that their attitudes bordered on overbearing and were much more inclined to encourage Harry’s and Ginny’s little bout of rule-breaking.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Back at Gryffin’s Den, Harry and Ginny sat the kitchen table, holding hands and looking quite upset.

“Harry, I don’t think we should return, or at least you shouldn’t. It’s not safe for you,” Ginny remarked. “The Headmaster seems quite determined to make you do what he wants you to do. What are we going to do? He’s the most powerful wizard of our time.” She was shaking in fear.

Harry rose, rounded the table, and sat down next to her, drawing her back against his scrawny frame. “Hush, Ginny. Everything will be all right. I’m not going back, and I’m not going to let him catch me.” He tipped her head back to look into her eyes. “We do need to let your family know that you are safe, though. I don’t want your dad mad at me. He’s a bit scary.” He shuddered in remembrance.

Once the note was written, Harry asked Hedwig to deliver it and wait for a response, although he knew this last decision was a bit risky. He was concerned that someone might be able to trace Hedwig’s movements and decipher their location.

Although Harry knew this was not what Mr. Weasley had in mind, he was not about to risk his freedom by returning to the Burrow himself. He was equally concerned that, if Ginny returned, he might never see her again, despite the fact that her family no longer had the legal means to prevent them from being together.

xxxxxxxxxxxx


Early next morning, Harry and Ginny were awoken by the sound of an owl tapping on the bedroom window. Harry groggily arose and let the speckled owl in. I hope it’s a reply from one of the schools. Going to Hogwarts is right out.

Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Harry struggled to unfasten the letter from the owl’s leg. As he had never done this before, it took him some minutes before he was able to free the scroll. By the time he was successful, the owl was giving him irate looks and had nipped his fingers several times.

Harry stood in the middle of the room sucking his finger and attempted to unroll the parchment with one hand. A muffled curse woke the other occupant of the room, and she sat up in the bed, a confused look on her face.

“What’s wrong?” Ginny demanded sleepily. “What are you doing over there? It’s much to early to be up.” She dropped back down on the pillows, and pulled the covers up over her shoulders.

“This infernal owl woke me up. But look, I think it’s a reply to one of our letters. Can you open it?” he begged. “I don’t want to get blood on it.”

Ginny mock glared at him, and grasped the scroll from his free hand. She hastily unraveled it and read the contents aloud. It was indeed from one of the schools they had contacted. They were disappointed to learn that this particular school would be unable to accommodate their special circumstances, however, it did allow them to narrow down the list.

Harry and Ginny were debating returning to bed or rising for the day, when another owl started tapping at the window, this one considerably larger than the first. Ginny decided it would be wiser for her to collect the missive, since she had more experience with owl post than Harry, and he was already nursing a sore finger.

After thanking the owl and offering it some owl treats and a bit of water, the two sat down on the bed to read over their newest piece of correspondence.

“Yes,” cheered Harry, quite relieved that they had at least one option for the upcoming school year. Whatever else happened, they would not be forced to attend Hogwarts.

The school, Beauxbatons in France, was quite willing to accommodate their various needs. They looked through the class offerings, pictures of the school - magical ones that moved, which startled Harry no end - and were quite excited at the possibility of attending there. The school was beautiful and the curriculum was well-rounded and included interesting extras that Hogwarts did not offer.

Ginny was thrilled that they had Quidditch. She was also interested to learn that they had advanced classes in Arithmancy and Runes and beginning classes in Curse-breaking and Wards. She explained to Harry that her oldest brother, Bill, who was presently in Egypt working for Gringotts, was a Curse-Breaker, and she had always thought that, if she couldn’t become a Quidditch player, she might like to follow in his footsteps and become a Curse-Breaker.

The more Ginny explained to him about what her brother did, the more fascinated Harry became. He resolved to work hard to keep that option open, even if he did end up changing his mind later on. This spurred his determination to learn all he could of the magical world. He did not want to be crippled by his lack of knowledge and understanding. He decided to spend the remainder of the summer sampling what the library had to offer.

Over breakfast, the two consulted their list once again, put a check mark next to Beauxbatons, and crossed out the small school in Italy that had first responded to their query.

Harry suggested that they spend some time outside exploring the grounds, and then devote the remainder of the day to exploring the library. He confided to Ginny that he was hoping to locate books that would help explain the magical world and, if they were truly lucky, a book on bonds.

Ginny just snorted at the chances of that happening, but happily followed him outside.

Hours later, they were ensconced in the library, each having found a book that caught their attention. They might have read straight through dinner, had not an elf popped in and reminded them it was time to eat.

They were just finishing their sandwiches and crisps when Hedwig finally returned. The envelope she was holding rather gingerly was red.

Ginny turned almost as red as the envelope and looked pleadingly at Harry, as she repeated over and over again. “I’m so sorry, Harry. I didn’t mean for this to happen. Please don’t hate me.” She wrung her hands in distress and continued muttering to herself. “I should have known this would happen. I can’t believe Mum is doing this. This is so humiliating. I just wish she would try to understand.”

Harry was torn between staring at the smoking envelope and his bond-mate who was beside herself. Finally, he could tolerate it no longer. He turned his back to the envelope and pulled Ginny into his arms, rubbing her back and murmuring soothing reassurances into her hair.

When the envelope started shrieking in Molly Weasley’s voice, Harry fell over backwards and landed on the floor with a thump, inadvertently pulling Ginny along with him, eyes wide open in shock. He started looking all around the room, certain that the wards had failed and that Ginny’s Mum was standing somewhere in the room berating him.

The feel of Ginny shuddering in his arms distracted Harry from the message’s content, so he ignored the sound of her mum’s voice, as much as was physically possible, and concentrated on assuring his bond-mate of his continued concern and care for her.

Several minutes later, Harry realised that silence now reigned in the kitchen, and Ginny no longer seemed on the verge of a breakdown. He slowly pushed her off of him, tried righting her on the bench, and then scrambled up himself.

“What in the blue blazes was that?” demanded Harry, more than a bit undone by what had happened. He was still glancing around, not entirely convinced that Mrs. Weasley was not lurking just around the corner, ready to hex him to depths of Hades.

Ginny drew in a deep breath and explained. “That, Harry, was a Howler. It’s my mother’s favourite way of communicating her displeasure with her children, especially if they’ve been misbehaving at school. I think Fred and George average at least two per term,” she added with a smirk.

“I take it she’s displeased with us?” remarked Harry, stating the obvious. “I didn’t catch what she said, did you?” He looked inquiringly at his bond-mate.

“Erm, not everything,” replied Ginny, blushing. “I was a bit distracted by how nice it felt for you to hold me in your arms,” she confessed in whisper, hiding behind the fiery curtain of her hair.

Harry turned a bright scarlet. Perhaps he wasn’t meant to have heard her comment, but he had to admit, it did feel nice to know that she liked it when he comforted her. This was all so new for him. Experiences such as this, that most people took for granted, were life-changing for him, and he was busy storing up wonderful memories of his new life with Ginny.

“Erm, well, erm, did she say anything important?” prodded Harry, trying hard not to embarrass Ginny any further.

“Not really. She just threatened to send you to Azkaban and demanded that I come home immediately.” Ginny paused to mentally review what she had heard. “Oh, and she said that Professor Dumbledore was going to set the Ministry against the Goblins for having, what was it, oh, yes, “aided and abetted” your rebellious behaviour.”

They both smiled at the absurdity of that last bit. Then their expressions sobered. They weren’t certain what the Ministry could do against the Goblins, but Harry decided that another visit to Gringott’s might not be amiss. They would hate for the Goblins to be inconvenienced as a result of their decisions.

Ginny suggested that the best course of action would be to Floo to the Leaky Cauldron and then proceed to Gringotts from there. They looked at each other and wished they could do something to disguise themselves, but they really didn’t know any magic, and had no adult to help them.

Harry briefly considered trying Muggle methods, but felt uncomfortable spending too much time outside the wards of Gryffin’s Den. They would simply have to go as themselves and hope that no one was lying in wait for them.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4

Chapter Four


With the help of the house elves, Harry and Ginny were able to procure caps. Ginny plaited her hair and wound it up under her cap. Harry wore his pulled down low, in an attempt to cover at least part of his face and his scar. The clothes they wore drew little attention to themselves, yet their arrival at the Leaky Cauldron was noted, and their progress down the Alley was closely followed.

Upon entering Director Ragnok’s office, Harry and Ginny were surprised at the sight of a tall red-headed man seated in front of the Director’s desk. Ginny let out a shriek, “Bill,” and launched herself at the man, who caught her up in a giant hug and swung her around, kissing her on the forehead.

Harry held himself back, not certain of his welcome. He surmised that this was Ginny’s oldest brother, Bill, who worked for Gringotts. Since, thus far, his reception by her family members had not been terribly reassuring, he wanted room to manoeuvre should hexes started flying.

“Hey there, Firefly!” Bill greeted his sister enthusiastically. “I’ve missed you.” He looked at Ragnok and received a slight nod in return. “What’s this I hear about you being soul bonded to the Boy-Who-Lived?”

Upon hearing this pronouncement, Harry wished very hard that he was a turtle, so he could disappear into his shell. He despised the moniker the Wizarding world had ascribed to him and equally despised the attention the death of his parents brought him.

Despite his unease, however, he watched with interest the interaction between brother and sister, and imagined what it would have been like if his parents hadn’t died. Perhaps he, too, would have had a sister or a brother, or perhaps even both.

Bill walked over to Harry and extended his hand. “I’m Bill Weasley, Ginny’s oldest brother. You must be Harry.”

Harry tentatively shook his hand and nodded his head.

“I hope you don’t mind, but Director Ragnok recalled me from my dig in Egypt. He thought it might be more useful to have me around to help out here with this…delicate situation.”

Harry winced and glanced at Ginny, trying to gauge her reaction. He wasn’t certain how he felt about her brother knowing about their connection, and he was more than a little disconcerted that Director Ragnok had been discussing him without his permission.

Bill noted the uncertainty in Harry’s expression, despite his usual blank demeanour. “Harry, I think it is imperative for you to know that I am bound by Gringotts’ oaths of confidentiality. Anything we discuss will stay between us, unless you expressly give permission for me to share information with others.” He looked at the two youngsters, noticing how tense they were. He waved them into the remaining chairs. “Sit down, relax, I won’t bite.”

Ginny snorted, and Harry looked slightly less uncomfortable, however, he still perched on the edge of his seat, ready to move quickly if he needed to. Despite the sincerity of Bill’s words, he still wasn’t certain what to make of him.

“Normally, Director Ragnok would not have shared the details of your situation with me, however, due to the fact that you are my sister,” Bill looked at Ginny, “and there was a potential ‘situation’, he thought it prudent to bring me in and apprise me of the basics.”

Bill paused a moment, allowing his words to sink in. “Now, why don’t the two of you tell me what has been happening. If you’ll allow me, I am here to help you, however, in order to be of the most help, I will need to know as many details as you are willing to share. Remember,” he reassured them, “everything you tell me will be held in confidence. You are clients of Gringotts, and I am their employee.”

Harry looked over at Ginny and received a slight nod in return. He scowled at her. Since Bill was her brother, he thought it would be appropriate for her to do the explaining, but apparently she would much rather have him do the talking. It just wasn’t fair.

“Erm, what exactly do you want to know?” ventured Harry.

“Anything you can tell me. What do you remember about what happened?”

Harry launched into a detailed account of all that he recalled of the events of the past few days. Bill periodically stopped him and asked for clarification, and Ginny interrupted him every once in a while to add a detail or two, but essentially it was Harry who recounted their story.

When Harry was finished, Bill sat back in his chair and regarded the two children thoughtfully. This was a bigger mess than he had originally anticipated. He had assumed that Harry and Ginny would simply live at the Burrow and attend Hogwarts. It was now clear that those options were no longer viable.

Bill drew in a deep breath and sighed. He tended to avoid conflict, unless it occurred over shots of Fire Whiskey. The solution he was about to propose was guaranteed to create an enormous amount of discord and lead to a great deal of ill-feeling, but he could not envision any other recourse.

“Well, it certainly sounds like the two of you have managed to make a right mess of things.” He held his hands up to stave off their protests. “Now, I’m not saying that you’ve done anything wrong, however,” he looked chidingly at Harry, “you might have acted in a more diplomatic way.”

Harry cringed at the implied criticism. He had no doubt that Bill was correct, however, hearing that he’d mucked things up was hard to swallow. “I suppose you’re right,” he grudgingly admitted, “but I didn’t know what else to do at the time, or even whom to turn to for advice.” His tone grew a bit defensive. “I am only eleven, and it’s not like I’ve anyone who’s served as a role model in my life.”

“Easy there, Harry. What’s done is done. Now then, we need to decide how we are going to proceed from here on out. I have an idea,” Bill glanced at his sister out of the corner of his eye, “but it may cause a bit of trouble for everyone here - oh, who am I fooling - it very well may lead to disaster.”

Ginny focused all her attention on her brother. He had been her hero ever since she was six, when he had shown her how to unlock the broom shed and supervised her first forays on a broom. She had the distinct impression that whatever he was about to suggest would precipitate momentous changes in her life.

“What I am proposing is that I take up residence with you at Gryffin’s Den and act as your mentor - your advisor. I would be available if you needed someone to talk to, I would be someone who could provide another opinion should it be required, in essence - a friend in time of need.” He fell silent, having run out of suitable words to describe the vision he was attempting to convey, waiting to see how they would react to his offer.

Ginny stared at her brother in a state of complete and total shock. She thought his idea was brilliant, really, but she knew her mum would go absolutely spare. What Bill was suggesting could potentially tear their family apart. Not that it hasn’t already been torn apart, she reminded herself glumly. Her mum’s inability to accept her bond with Harry was fast eroding their mother-daughter relationship. But this…this…this would, Merlin, this would truly destroy the integrity of the family her parents had worked so hard to build.

Could she accept her brother’s generous offer, knowing the repercussions? Could she not? She was more than aware that they needed guidance. There was too much of the world and it’s complexities that they were not cognisant of, too many pitfalls that awaited them.

As simple as it seemed, they didn’t even know whom to trust. Dumbledore’s machinations had effectively cut them off from most of the adults in her sphere of existence. How could they be certain where people’s allegiances really lay? It was fairly obvious that very few had Harry’s good in mind, else he wouldn’t have been left to suffer at the mercy of his relatives.

Harry was not quite certain what to think. Could he trust someone he had just met? All he had were the stories Ginny had shared with him about growing up with Bill, and tales of Bill’s experiences in Egypt. He eyed the tall man warily and weighed his options, which were discouragingly few.

If he didn’t take Bill up on his offer, Ginny and he would have to go it alone. He didn’t know anyone, really, in the magical world; for that matter, he didn’t know anyone in the non-magical world, either. The only other friend he had was Hagrid, and, while Hagrid seemed quite nice, and he had rescued him from his relatives, he wasn’t exactly someone Harry could turn to in a pinch. Additionally, Hagrid was a firm supporter of Dumbledore and believed the Headmaster could do no wrong, which was of no help to him.

Harry looked at his bond-mate, eyes practically boring through her head. He desperately wished he could see into her mind, ascertain in which direction her inclinations lay. Could he trust her brother with his life?

He gasped quietly with the sudden realisation it was no longer only his life he was responsible for - he now had Ginny to think of, too. And the house elves. What a novel concept. Harry exhaled slowly, as he mulled over this new reality. The more he thought about it, the more accustomed to the idea he became - to tell the truth, he actually liked the idea. It meant that he was no longer alone. He decided that that was a good thing.

Ginny could feel Harry’s gaze on her, but she didn’t look up from her contemplation of the floor. She didn’t want him to influence her. She needed to reach a decision on her own. Yes, they were bond-mates, but this was her brother. The decision she, they, would make would determine the direction her life would take over the course of the next few years, and she recognised that she must take a stance rather than simply let others decide for her.

All her life, her parents had told her what to do, what to think, and whom to follow. A chance encounter had led to her being bonded with a boy she had previously only read about. Now she was an adult - well, really only a child, but still, an adult, and she needed to begin to act that way. So much had changed over the past few days, she could scarcely breathe.

Everything felt so completely overwhelming. She felt like escaping back to the Burrow, hiding in the comfort of her room, curling up in ball on her bed, and weeping. She longed to feel her mother’s arms around her, stroking her hair, and have her murmur soothing words of comfort in her ear, telling her that everything would be fine.

But as much as she wished for that to happen, she didn’t want to go back. She couldn’t imagine being parted from Harry. He had become an integral part of her world, of her very essence. She needed him, and it was clear that he needed her. Even though they had known each other only a short while, she felt like she was better acquainted with him than her own family. They understood each other. It was at once wonderful and terrifying.

Ginny glanced up at her brother and saw the sincerity and love in his eyes. He wasn’t judging her. He didn’t want to separate her from Harry. He was offering to come live with them, to give up his aspirations and re-work his life so he could aid her. He was aware of the potential repercussions of his offer, nonetheless he had made it.

Rising from her seat, Ginny crossed the room and sat down in her brother’s lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and murmured, “Are you certain about this? Mum will probably never speak to you again. Professor Dumbledore won’t be pleased with you. The entire Ministry may be against you.”

Bill put his finger against her lips to stop the rush of her words. “Hush now. Director Ragnok and I have discussed this from all angles at great length. I know what I am offering. I know what may happen. But I just can’t leave you to flounder on your own, Firefly.” He winked at her. “You might crash into a goalpost if I did.”

Ginny punched him lightly on the arm. “Well, if you’re certain, and Harry agrees, then I’d love to have you.” She paused, gnawing her lip, then blurted out. “You’re not going to go round the bend when you find out that Harry and I are sharing a room, are you?” she whispered against his ear.

Bill pulled back and looked at her in amazement, then looked grimly at Harry. A smile broke over his countenance. “Of course not, little one. I wouldn’t have expected anything else. You are bond-mates, after all.” He smirked at the two of them.

Harry sat up straighter. If he had wanted proof that Bill was on their side, his response to Ginny’s question had just given it to him. He walked over to where Bill was sitting and offered his hand. “Thank you. Thank you for your offer. I don’t quite understand all the implications, but it seems like it will cause quite an uproar.”

Bill took his hand and shook it, then pulled the young boy into a quick hug. He could feel Harry tensing as he did so, and resolved to look into the unusualness of his reaction. He was eager to learn more about the boy who had recently become his newest brother.

“Don’t fret yourself, Harry. I’m a big boy, and I can handle whatever they throw my way, even Mum.” He grimaced. “Welcome to the family, Harry.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


When they finally emerged from Director Ragnok’s office, Bill was shaking his head in bemusement. For someone who had only just discovered the magical world, Harry had come an unbelievably long way. That he was impressed with what Harry had accomplished in such a short amount of time was an understatement.

During the meeting, they had discussed Harry’s concerns that his decisions were causing problems between the Ministry and the Goblins, and Bill was amazed at Harry’s protective attitude towards beings most Wizards regarded with contempt. His respect for the boy grew even more.

Several letters were dispatched to the Ministry, absolving the Goblins from any wrong-doing with regard to Harry’s situation. Bill, as Harry’s representative, outlined the issues for the Minister in a way that could not be dismissed. He made it clear that Harry and Ginny were soul-bonded, that they were adults in the eyes of the law, and as such were entitled to make their own decisions.

Bill subtly hinted that any interference on the part of uninvited parties would not be tolerated, and that action would be taken should the situation necessitate it. Harry (and Ginny) were to be treated with all due respect.

Given the tension that existed between Dumbledore and the Minister, Bill was certain that Cornelius Fudge would be quite gleeful at this marvellous opportunity to thwart the man he viewed as his nemesis. Bill was a bit concerned that his father’s position in the Ministry might be jeopardised, however, he decided not worry about it unless his fears came to fruition.

The four of them had also reviewed Harry’s list of potential schools, discussed the advantages and disadvantages of each one. Director Ragnok was able to offer valuable insight into the workings of some of the schools, which proved to be extremely helpful.

During the course of the discussion, Bill was amazed at how quickly Harry’s mind worked and at the amount of insight he demonstrated, as he explained the reasoning behind his selections. He concurred with the conclusions Harry and Ginny had reached, and urged them not to make a final decision until they heard back from the other three schools.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Bill apparated the three of them to the outer boundaries of the Burrow’s wards and accompanied them up the walk towards the back door.

Harry and Ginny, approached the house, fingers interlaced, uncertain of their reception. It was quite empowering to know that, this time, they were not alone, but that knowledge didn’t completely quell their doubts and fears.

Harry wished that this visit could be postponed, but he knew that Bill was right when he had urged the two of them to sit down and discuss the situation with Ginny’s parents before the end of the day.

He turned his head and quipped to Bill. “It’s a good thing we brought you along, else I’m not certain I’d be re-emerging in one piece.”

Bill laughed. “One piece perhaps, but you’d have lost your hearing, at least temporarily.”

Harry winced. “I’ve already had a taste of that.”

Bill looked at his sister inquiringly. “Mum sent you a howler, yeah?”

Ginny laughed. “It was dreadful. Poor Harry was set to hide under the table. He thought Mum had somehow invaded his home.”

Harry growled. “It wasn’t that amusing,” he maintained, poking Ginny in the side.

All too soon, they were standing before the door. The three of them looked at each, and finally Bill huffed, reached over their heads, and rapped on the door. It felt a bit peculiar to knock on the door of his own home, but he wanted to give his parents warning of their arrival.

Fortunately for the three, it was Arthur who opened the door. His eyes widened in surprise, but he beckoned them to enter. “Why don’t you have a seat in the sitting room. I’ll fetch Molly.” He looked pointedly at his eldest son. “You might want to ward the room.”

Bill led them into the sitting room and began waving his wand around in a series of complicated patterns.

“What are you doing?” Harry asked with interest.

Bill flushed. “I’m setting up silencing charms and cushioning charms. I’m also erecting some wards so that no one other than my parents can enter. The twins can be awfully nosy and have probably devised a way to listen in on conversations” He grinned. “And if they haven’t, they will have before they finish Hogwarts. I’d stake a hundred galleons on that.”

Ginny smothered a laugh. She wouldn’t be surprised in the least, if Bill’s prediction came true. The twins were geniuses, evil geniuses, to be sure, but geniuses nonetheless.


Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 5

Chapter Five


Molly stopped dead upon entering the room. It was obvious to the visitors that Arthur had not forewarned her as to the reason he was seeking her out.

Before any sound could pass her lips, Bill raised his hand for silence and motioned for her to sit down.

“Hello, Mum, Dad. It’s good to see you again.” He walked over and gave his mother a brief hug and shook hands with his father. He grabbed a seat and pulled it closer to the settee upon which Harry and Ginny were anxiously seated.

“I’m sure you’re wondering what we are all doing here, and why Harry and Ginny are here with me.”

His father nodded and his mother simply narrowed her eyes. He knew this was not going to be easy, but was relieved that, so far, things were proceeding better than he had expected.

“The Director of Gringotts recalled me from my dig in Egypt yesterday, because he thought that perhaps I could be of help in dealing with the situation in which Harry and Ginny have found themselves.”

Molly looked like she wanted to interrupt him, but Bill help up his hand. “Please, allow me to finish. I think some of the problems have arisen because people have been too quick to react and too slow to listen.”

Arthur nodded his head in agreement and took his wife’s hand in his own, offering her his comfort and support. He knew that this meeting was going to be excruciating for Molly.

As Bill began to explain things to Arthur and Molly, Harry and Ginny began to visibly relax. It meant the world to Harry to have someone who supported him and believed in him, especially in such difficult circumstances.

It was clear that Molly was not pleased with what Bill was saying, but Arthur managed to keep her sufficiently calm. All that changed, however, when he began to discuss living arrangements and educational plans.

“Absolutely not!” Molly cried. “I will not allow my little girl to live alone with a boy, even if you claim he is her husband. She’s just a baby.”

Ginny cringed. She hated the way her mother talked about her, as if she were still six. She knew she wasn’t old enough to be living on her own, but that wasn’t the issue. Deep down inside, she understood her mother’s feelings. She was not yet ten, and it was expected that she would live at home with her family, at least until she finished at Hogwarts. Now that no longer seemed possible.

Although Ginny wished she could just live at home with her family, she knew her mother would never agree to the necessary living arrangements. Her mother would probably insist that Harry bunk with Ron, and she couldn’t imagine Harry living in the dreadful orangeness (was that even a word? she wondered) of Ron’s room listening to him prattle endlessly on about the Chudley Cannons.

Bill looked at his mother straight in the eye. “Mum, she won’t be living alone. I plan on living there and supervising and caring for them. You’ve raised me to be decent and honourable. I think I can do the same for Ginny and Harry. There will a responsible adult around - me. We are not suggesting that you simply allow them to run wild, not that they would,” he muttered that last under his breath, however he had an inkling that his father had heard his words, from the look Arthur shot him.

“As much as you may dislike it, Mum, the decision of where Ginny lives is out of your hands. It is up to Ginny and Harry, and, at present, they are choosing to live in his family’s ancestral home.” Bill hated to be so blunt, but he knew his mother required nothing less.

“Well, what about school?” blustered Molly, determined not to be thwarted on at least one point.

“Didn’t you hear me, Mum?” asked Bill patiently. “Have you not understood how Dumbledore has interfered where he had no right to, and how he has been the direct cause of Harry being neglected all these years? Can you not understand Harry’s unwillingness to put himself under the authority of a man who does not seem to have his best interests at heart?” He paused to let his mother ponder his words.

After a few moments of silence, he pressed on. “More recently, Dumbledore attempted to prevent Harry from speaking with the Goblins. He encouraged you not tell Ginny the truth about what happened, and, more importantly, he is the one who insisted he would undo the bond.”

Bill looked hard at his parents. “You are aware, are you not, that had he done that, he would have been responsible for at least one, if not both, of their deaths? At the very least the one who survived would have been condemned to a life of loneliness and misery and the surety of an early demise. Is that what you wanted for Ginny? For Harry?”

His parents fidgeted under his gaze.

Bill’s words were harsh, but necessary. He was honestly unsure as to whether or not they were cognisant of the full consequences of Dumbledore’s plan. He noted that his father looked genuinely shocked, whilst his mother was unable to look him in the eye. He suspected she did know of the potential consequences, and had either decided it was worth the risk, or had chosen to believe that Dumbledore had been exaggerating. Unfortunately, he had not. In all likelihood, they would have both been dead within the year, and it was imperative that his parents understood this.

His father spoke up. “Harry, Ginny, I am terribly sorry about all the misunderstandings. I am starting to realise that the Headmaster has not been as forthcoming as he could have, perhaps even should have, been with us. I apologise if our actions have caused you distress.”

Arthur was painfully aware that Molly’s and his conduct had led to a loss of trust between the two couples. There was nothing Arthur wanted to more than to regain his daughter’s trust. It was up to Molly and him, as parents, to demonstrate to Ginny - and by extension, Harry - they could indeed be trusted, and they were dedicated to preserving the well-being of both her and Harry, no matter the cost. Given time he was hopeful that the relationship with their daughter and her bond-mate could be restored. Referring to him as her husband was a bit difficult at the present time, bond-mate was easier to contemplate.

Harry and Ginny exchanged glances, then Harry responded. “We accept your apology, sir. I know this must not be easy for you. I wish that things could have been different. Ginny and I did not mean to cause such a bother, and we apologise for any distress we’ve caused you and Mrs. Weasley.”

Harry paused, then continued, his voice growing stronger as he spoke. “However, you do need to understand that nothing can separate us. We will be together. If you or Mrs. Weasley can’t accept that, then relations between us will be rather strained.” He did look a bit regretful as he finished, but he did not back down.

Arthur nodded his understanding. He couldn’t say he was happy with the situation, but he would do his best to be understanding and supportive. He turned to Molly and was pleased to see that she was smiling at Harry, a bit tremulously, to be sure, but smiling nevertheless. Arthur’s demeanour lightened considerably. Bridges were being built.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Over the next few days, Harry and Ginny were the recipients of several owls. A week later, they had heard back from all five schools. One more had been unable to accommodate them, due to lack of facilities, but the other two had responded enthusiastically. They now had three schools to consider.

One was in Wales. Harry, and Ginny, was surprised to learn that there was more than one school of magic in the British Isles. He had, wrongly, assumed that Hogwarts was the only school in Britain. When he considered the fact that Wales was its own separate country, the concept of there being a magical school in Wales made more sense.

The second school was in Ireland. Unfortunately, they soon learned that it was more of a day school than a boarding school, especially in the upper years, and commuting was not a feasible option for them, as Harry owned no property in Ireland. It was with great regret that they crossed that particular school off their list as it had looked quite promising.

That left them with two schools to choose from. After reviewing all the information they had received, and several consultations with Bill, and even one with Director Ragnok, they decided they would attend Baron Hill on the Isle of Anglesey or Ynys Môn, as it was know in Welsh, in Gwynedd. The school had been open since the end of the Second World War and was fast gaining a reputation for providing a top-notch magical education.

Baron Hill was perched on a hillside overlooking the Menai Strait and had extensive grounds. The climate there was much milder than at Hogwarts. Both Harry and Ginny were quite excited to learn that the school had stables, and students could take riding lessons if they chose. Ginny had always loved horses, and this was a dream come true. The crowning glory, however, in Ginny’s mind, at least, was that Baron Hill wasn’t all that distant from Holyhead, home of the Holyhead Harpies, her favourite Quidditch team.

Many of the classes were similar to those offered at Hogwarts, but some were quite different. Baron Hill didn’t ignore the Muggle world and provided classes in foreign languages - Welsh was mandatory - science, and maths. History covered both magical and Muggle history.

They also provided an introductory course to the magical world, and, for those who would were interested, offered electives in Magical Law and the Wizengamot, Elementary Wards, Curse-Breaking, Wand Lore, and Broom Construction. Both Harry and Ginny were fascinated by the class listings and couldn’t wait for the term to begin.

Although Baron Hill was quite a bit smaller than Hogwarts, and lacked its history and reputation, it sounded innovative and forward-thinking, which appealed to Harry’s Muggle background. The deciding factor, however, was that they welcomed Ginny’s attendance, despite her age, and were willing and able to provide quarters for them to share. In their return missive, they indicated that they had had other students in similar situations.

Harry wondered at that, as he was unfamiliar with the way the magical world functioned, but Bill explained that some members of the magical world - Veelas and werewolves, for example - mated for life, and when they met their bond-mates they formed a bond with them, similar to the bond he and Ginny shared.

Harry found that quite fascinating and secretly hoped that there was another bonded couple at the school, so that he would not feel quite so unique and alone. Whether or not that would be the case, he had the distinct impression that the school would be welcoming of him no matter what.

Bill was also rather intrigued with the school’s position. It certainly appeared that Baron Hill’s policies were not quite in alignment with those of the Ministry. Not that Bill objected to that in the least. The Ministry’s attitudes towards other magical beings, including Goblins, were reprehensible, in his opinion. Voldemort and his followers were not the only ones who were proponents of pure-blood prejudices.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx


Several days later, they met with the elder Weasleys for supper and announced their decision. Mrs. Weasley was rather skeptical - she had never heard of Baron Hill - but Mr. Weasley was a bit more open-minded, as he had a colleague whose daughter attended the school.

“You never mentioned that to me,” chided his wife.

“Actually, Molly, I have. Maximus is full of stories about Hyacinth’s experiences at school.” He looked appraisingly at her. “I expect that you were simply expressing your loyalty to Hogwarts by turning a deaf ear to tales praising another school. It’s not always easy to hear about activities and classes our children are missing out on.”

Molly huffed at the thought that her children might be receiving a second-rate education, after all the greatest wizard of their age, Albus Dumbledore, was the Headmaster of Hogwarts. If he was overseeing her children's’ education, then it must be far superior to anything they might receive elsewhere.

Privately, Arthur wondered if the education his children were receiving really was up to snuff. He questioned Severus Snape’s ability to successfully teach youngsters. Professor Binns was a disgrace. The Divination Professor was a sorry excuse for a witch, let alone a teacher. And the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts was supposedly cursed. No teacher lasted more than a year, and the teaching quality was declining steadily.

Arthur decided it might be wise to consider enrolling some of his other children elsewhere. He would wait to see how Harry and Ginny fared during their first term, and then re-evaluate his options. Whilst Percy was thriving at Hogwarts, Fred and George were, not exactly floundering, rather they were not living up to their potential. Baron Hill might be just the right environment in which they could flourish. Hmm, I’ll just have to sit down with Bill ask for his input. This could prove to quite interesting…

“What courses do they offer?” asked Molly brusquely, still not willing to believe there could be a school comparable to her beloved Hogwarts.

Bill fished the brochure with the list of courses out his rucksack and passed it over to his mother.

Ginny and Harry sat sipping their tea whilst the adults poured over the brochure. They had been apprehensive about this meeting and were quite chuffed to see it going so smoothly.

Harry found it quite fascinating to watch the Weasleys interact with each other. He was impressed with how well both Mr. Weasley and Bill had subtly defused Mrs. Weasley, and was thankful for their intercession on Ginny’s and his behalf.

Whilst Arthur peppered Bill and Harry with questions about some of the Muggle courses, Molly looked over at Ginny, a tender smile on her face. “I read that they have stables there. You’ve always wanted to have a horse. Now you’ll finally have a chance to learn to ride.”

Ginny’s face lit up with excitement and wonder. “It will be smashing, Mum. I can’t wait. And they have swimming, and we’ll be able to take walks to the village, and I’ll be able to study maths. I always regretted that Hogwarts didn’t offer maths. Arithmancy is similar, but you have to wait until Third Year to study that.”

Molly was delighted to see how enthusiastic her daughter was about starting school. She was less excited to learn that Bill’s school-to-work transition at Gringotts had been hindered by the lack of upper level classes at Hogwarts. Classes that were available through other schools.

Molly was unaware that Hogwarts had not adequately prepared him for his chosen career. She had been blinded by her certainty that Hogwarts was the best school out there, and she had simply binned the other acceptance letters her children had received. Perhaps she had done them all a disservice.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


“Harry, I’ve spoken with Director Ragnok about your godfather. We must tread very carefully. Director Ragnok has discovered that Minister Fudge was one of those directly involved in sending Sirius to Azkaban without a trial.”

Harry stared at the older man, a frown on his face. The news sounded rather grim. He wanted, more than anything, to secure his godfather’s freedom. The problem was, he had no idea how to accomplish his goal. Unfortunately, it sounded like no one else had any brilliant ideas, either.

Bill paused, and ran his fingers through his hair. He really wasn’t certain what to tell Harry. The chances of securing a trial for Sirius Black, at this point in time, were slender. Fudge would not appreciate the negative publicity such a trial would generate, and he and his supporters were capable of wielding a great deal of power.

The other issue concerned Sirius’ health and welfare. If they were to attempt to bring him to trial, chances were high that he would not live to stand trial. It was for this reason that there was a high level of secrecy surrounding his discussions with Director Ragnok. It would not do for anyone associated with Fudge to hear even a whisper of their plans.

Bill knew that the only way they would succeed in freeing Harry’s godfather, is if they secured allies - powerful allies. And that would be hard, considering Harry was not attending Hogwarts, which the majority of British witches and wizards attended for their schooling. It would be that much harder for him to make connections with those whose parents or guardians may be of assistance.

“Does this mean there is nothing we can do?” Harry asked despairingly.

Bill ruffled the younger boy’s hair. “No. It simply means we have to be careful. Very, very careful. If word of this gets out, Sirius’ life may be in danger. While you are off at school, we will be working on building support and making plans.”

“But that could take years!” Harry was beyond frustrated. Why did his life always have to be so complicated?

“Patience, grasshopper. We will work as quickly as we can, but we cannot afford to make mistakes. A man’s life is on the line.” Bill pulled Harry into a quick hug. The boy was getting better at tolerating them. “Your job is to do well in school. To learn all you can and take care of my sister.”

Harry gave Bill a look that implied he was dimmer than a troll.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Harry and Ginny sat facing each other on their bed, the night before their departure for Baron Hill. It had been an eventful month, and they were both glad for an opportunity to experience normalcy, for a change.

“Are you scared, Harry?”

“Yes, I am. Are you?”

“Petrified. At least if I was going off to Hogwarts, I would know someone there. I’m going to miss seeing my brothers this year. I don’t actually know their friends, but I’ve heard stories, and I recognise names. Where we’re going is a complete unknown. And the Muggle subjects. I’ve never had to bother much with them. What if I’m not good enough? What if I make Dreadfuls in everything?”

“Ginny, you are such a goose. You’ll be brilliant.” Harry reached over and tickled her side.

Ginny scooted away, shrieking, then turned around and launched a counter-attack. Harry curled up in a ball and tried to roll away from her questing hands, but she sat on his legs and pinned him to the bed.

Suddenly the door flew open, and Bill appeared in the entryway. When he saw what the two were up to, he simply laughed. “You had me scared there for a moment,” he remarked between peals of laughter. “If you’re going to torture each other, keep it down, or you’ll find yourselves in danger of being hexed.” He backed out and closed the door behind him.

Harry finally flipped Ginny off of him, and caught her hands in one of his own. “Pax!” he entreated. He sat up and pulled her up next to him. They leaned back against the head of the bed.

“Ginny, what if no one likes me? I’ve never had a friend before. I don’t know how to be a friend. And school. I don’t know how to do well at school. Living with the Dursleys only taught me to how do poorly. I don’t want to disappoint you or Bill, but I don’t know if I can be a good student.”

Ginny lifted his arm and dropped it over her shoulders. She scooted closer, leaned her head against his chest, and closed her eyes. She loved being close to Harry. It felt so nice. She was so thankful that the school wasn’t going to separate them. She’d be lost without this closeness.

“Harry, you’ll be brilliant, too. You’ve been a wonderful friend to me, and you are so smart. I’m always amazed at how quickly you absorb knowledge.” She leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Seriously, we have each other. Together we will succeed. And we will make Bill proud. I don’t know about you, but I want to make the sacrifices he’s made worth it. He’s given up so much for us; I don’t want him to ever regret it.”

Harry looked into the intense face of his bond-mate and couldn’t help but agree. Bill was fast becoming his hero. Harry was already starting to grow his hair out, in imitation of the way Bill wore his. It wasn’t quite long enough to tie back yet, but it was much more manageable, plus Ginny liked it.

Bill had persuaded him to wait on an earring until he was older, on the off chance he changed his mind and decided he’d rather not wear one. Harry was certain of one thing, however, when he grew up he wanted to be as noble, honourable, and self-sacrificing as his brother.

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6

Author's Notes: We've come to the end of the beginning. So much more could be added to this story, but this is a challenge story, and we are encouraged to limit the word count to 20K. I hope you've enjoyed the ride. I enjoyed writing the story and hope that I stayed true to the focus of the challenge and didn't allow myself to get too sidetracked by all the what if possibilities. Thanks for reading.


Chapter Six


Christmas hols saw the return of Harry and Ginny to the Gryffin’s Den. Bill was waiting for them at the station and apparated them home. He could barely get in a word edgewise, they were so busy recounting their eventful term. They told him they were thrilled to be home, but they couldn’t wait to return and see all their friends again.

Bill was astonished to see the changes in the two youngsters. Harry had grown half a head taller, and it looked like Ginny was trying to keep pace with him. Harry no longer looked like a scrawny, timid boy. His cheeks were ruddy with good health, and it was apparent he had gained several stone. He held himself with new-found confidence, and his eyes shone.

Every once in a while, his eyes would dart over to look at Ginny, and Bill was amused to see the awed expression on Harry’s face each time he did so. It was apparent to him, that Harry adored his sister, and their relationship was thriving. The idea that anyone could have considered tearing them apart was abhorrent to him. They completed each other and made each other stronger. It was clearly apparent that they belonged together.

Ginny was busy relating stories of her riding adventures and her new four-footed friend, Ambergris.

Harry, listening with one ear, was smiling indulgently, interspersing a comment here and there. As soon as he entered the house, he threw off his coat, and rolled his shoulders. It felt so good to be home. He had no sooner collapsed onto the settee, when a house elf popped in, welcomed him back, and asked for his drink preference. He ordered a butterbeer for both himself and Ginny, and looked up inquiringly at Bill. “Make that three butterbeers, please,” Harry requested politely.

Bill was encouraged to see that Harry’s attitude towards other magical beings had not changed in the months he’d been away. He seated himself in a chair and started peppering the two with questions about their classes, their friends, and their activities. It was apparent that school agreed with them, and it was encouraging to see that they had made a wise choice.

During a lull in the conversation, Ginny glanced over and noticed, really noticed her brother. She subtly poked Harry in the side, and he leaned towards her to hear her whispered comment, and then he too stared at Bill.

Bill, who had been busy woolgathering, suddenly noticed the silence, and looked up to find two pairs of eyes fixed on his person.

“I say, Bill, is there something wrong?” inquired Harry solicitously.

Bill gazed at the young man thoughtfully. “Not necessarily wrong,” he responded slowly. Gathering his thoughts together, he leaned forward, arms resting on his knees. “Harry, do you remember our conversation right before you left?”

Harry nodded. He shot him a wry smile and sat back against the cushions, pulling Ginny into his side. He was fairly certain that he would need his bond-mates help in dealing with whatever Bill had to share.

“Yes, you said something about the need to gather allies, if there was to be any hope of freeing my godfather.”

“Precisely,” responded Bill with approval. He looked pointedly at Harry. “We don’t have Dumbledore on our side, which may or may not be to our advantage. After several long discussions, Director Ragnok suggested we speak with Madam Augusta Longbottom, whose son and daughter-in-law were seriously injured, just after your parents were killed. She is a very opinionated, very powerful woman. Her grandson Neville, has just started Hogwarts. I was thinking that it might be useful to arrange for a meeting over the hols.”

Harry and Ginny looked intrigued at that suggestion. Although they loved their school, and had made many friends, few resided close enough to visit over the Christmas holidays. It would be fun to meet someone they might be able to socialise with while not in school.

“Bill, might we invite the Longbottoms over for Boxing Day?” suggested Ginny. “We could invite the rest of our family over also. Perhaps Ron knows this Neville.”

Harry barely heard her, he was too deep in thought. “Ginny, doesn’t Cecily Marchbanks have a grandmother on the Wizengamot?” he asked suddenly.

Ginny considered the question. “I think you’re right. And I think Constantius Ogden has a grandfather who has a seat also.”

Bill brightened upon hearing these tidbits of information. “This might be extremely useful. Both Griselda Marchbanks and Tiberius Ogden are influential members of the Wizengamot. If we could garner their support, it would certainly help us in our quest to free Sirius.” He gave them a hopeful smile. “Neither one of them is a great supporter of Minister Fudge. Can you think of anyone else with ties to Britain?”

“Erm, Ginny, what’s the name of that boy in Third Year, the one who is always out in the woods looking for unusual creatures?”

“Oh, erm, I think it’s Ralph. No, Roger? No, that’s not it either. Wait, I have it, it’s Rolf. Rolf Scamander. Why do you ask?”

“His grandfather is the one who wrote the Magical Creature books we use. I wonder if he might be helpful,” suggested Harry.

Bill’s eyes grew round. “You know Newt Scamander’s grandson? He’s amazing. And quite…unique,” he remarked enigmatically. “What is his grandson like? I wonder if he’s anything like his grandfather.”

“Oh, Rolf is always outdoors searching for wildlife. He’s quite friendly, but I’m not sure he has that many friends. He seems to enjoy exploring on his own,” Harry replied.

“His grandfather works for the Ministry of Magic. He even has an Order of Merlin, Second Class. He’s quite well respected. Having him on our side may be quite useful, in more ways than one,” Bill remarked.

“Ooh, I know someone else. Philippa Horton’s grandfather owns the Comet Broom Company. She sits next to me in Charms and is always telling me about all the important people her grandfather knows. I bet she’d help. Her grandfather hates the Minister, because Fudge keeps trying to buy more stock in his company, so he can control it.”

Harry smacked himself on the head. “How could I have forgotten Philippa? All she talks about is her grandfather this and her grandfather that. You’d think he was the Prime Minister the way she goes on about him.”

Ginny laughed and slapped him on the arm. “Be nice. It’s thanks to her that the school has been supplied with new brooms this year. Can you imagine if we’d had to learn to fly on those antiques that have been stuffed in the back of the broom shed?” She shook her head in disgust. Those brooms were worse than the ones in the Weasley broom shed. It was a wonder anyone could fly on them.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Boxing Day dawned bright and clear. Harry and Ginny raced downstairs to confer with the house elves. They had invited quite a few people over to help them celebrate, and they were eager that everything should go off splendidly.

Christmas Day had been spent at the Burrow, and, while enjoyable, the day had had its fair share of tension. Molly was still not comfortable with Ginny and Harry’s relationship, and frowned at all signs of affection between the two.

In addition, Mrs. Weasley was distrustful of Baron Hill, and the education they were receiving there. Hearing about the broom designing classes had not helped matters. She had a poor opinion of Quidditch and did not believe it was a valid career option. She had been quite pleased that Charlie had decided not pursue professional Quidditch, although, truth to tell, she wasn’t too chuffed that he had taken up dragon handling, either.

Ron had been rather leery of Harry and had stayed away from both Harry and Ginny for most of the day. Percy was not shy in expressing his disapproval of their choices and spent most of the time expounding on what a brilliant wizard Dumbledore was.

The only ones who seemed completely at ease with them had been Fred and George, which unfortunately meant that they became prime pranking targets. The twins soon learned that Harry and Ginny were not without their own resources, and ended up spending a great part of the day with blue hair and sparkly nails.

It had been a relief to return home and relax with bowls of popcorn and a warm fire.

The first guests to arrive were the Scamanders. Harry and Ginny hadn’t been certain that they would accept the invitation, as Rolf was more of a passing acquaintance than anything else, but it turned out that Mr. Scamander had known his parents and their friends and was eager to meet Harry.

Harry looked up at Bill several hours later. It seemed as if their get-together was something of a success. Bill had had the occasion to sound out several of the guests about the Sirius situation, and the response had been quite positive. People had been quite appalled to learn that someone had been imprisoned without a trial and had vowed to see that justice was done. None of them were particularly supportive of Fudge and his administration, thinking him rather incompetent and easily swayed.

Throughout the evening, Arthur had stayed by Molly’s side and had successfully been able to moderate her critique of Baron Hill and effusive support of Dumbledore. She did draw the line at supporting Fudge, for which Arthur was quite grateful.

After speaking with Madam Marchbanks, Arthur learned that she had urged her son to send his daughter to Baron Hill due to the declining test scores at Hogwarts. Tiberius Ogden, who was close friends with Professor Tofty, another one of the Hogwarts examiners, had been instrumental in sending his grandson there for similar reasons. All this was causing Arthur to rethink his choice of schools for at least some of his children.

Arthur took some time during the party to sit down with Fred and George and discuss the situation with them. He found it fascinating to learn that, despite their heavy involvement in the Quidditch, and the close friends they had made at Hogwarts, they were quite open to the idea of changing schools, and were willing to join their sister and her bond-mate at a moment’s notice. Perhaps the situation at Hogwarts was worse than he realised.

The final nail came towards the end of the evening as he stood in the parlour exchanging farewells, he overheard Neville Longbottom promising to see Harry and Ginny the following week at school, if his grandmother was able to arrange the transfer quickly enough. At that moment, Arthur knew it was time for some things to change.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Harry and Ginny returned to Gryffin’s Den in April for Easter hols. They were met at the station by Bill, who promised them a surprise when they arrived back at the house.

A tall, thin-looking, man with long dark hair stood waiting for them. He held out his hand and introduced himself. “Harry, I’m your godfather, Sirius Black. I was good friends with your parents.” He had to stop speaking at that point, as he was too choked up to continue.

Clearing his throat, Sirius continued in a broken voice. “I’m terribly sorry I wasn’t here for you these past few years. I let my hot-headed side take over and acted extremely foolishly. I wish to Merlin that Remus here had been around to knock me upside the head and talk some sense into me,” he murmured, pulling his best friend up and introducing him to his godson.

Harry looked up at his godfather, tears welling in his eyes, and then he was pulled into a fierce embrace. He’d never met the man before, but he felt like he’d known him all his life. And perhaps he had. As he pulled away, a brilliant smile lit up his face. He was no longer alone. He had a family now, and friends, and the future had never looked brighter.

“It worked! It really worked. I can scarcely believe it! Ginny,” he crowed. “We did it!” He started dancing around the entryway.

Ginny smirked at the scene he was making, and stuck out her foot, in an attempt to trip him up. “Prat!” she chided him gently. “Aren’t you going to introduce me?” she demanded, hands on her hips, foot tapping impatiently.

Harry stumbled over her outstretched foot and righted himself, the smile never leaving his face. He reached over and pulled Ginny to him, proudly introducing his bond-mate to his godfather and his friend.

Harry looked at Remus consideringly. “Haven’t I seen you somewhere before?” he asked suspiciously.

Remus met his gaze head on. “Yes, I was there with Dumbledore, in the lobby of Gringotts, when he tried to return you to your relatives.” Harry muttered a curse. “I owe Dumbledore a great deal. He treated me fairly and gave me a chance. Not many would have done that in his place.”

Seeing the growing distrust on Harry’s face, Remus hastened to finish his explanation. “Bill approached me months ago and shared his conjectures about Sirius with me. After meeting with Director Ragnok, I’ve been working tirelessly to free Sirius. I would never betray him, or you. Your father was a great man. He was my best friend.” He shoved Sirius, who was mock glaring at him, away. “Shut it, you.”

Remus faced Harry again, sincerity shining from his eyes. “I will always be grateful to Dumbledore for what he did, but that doesn’t prevent me from seeing the mistakes he has made in regards to your life. He’s as human as the rest of us. I would be honoured to make your acquaintance. Again.”

Harry gave him a short, tight nod. It took strength of character to admit to having made a mistake. He had the impression he could come to like and respect this man - this friend of his father’s. Remus looked as scarred on the outside as he felt on the inside, yet, he had not become hardened and bitter. Harry surmised he could learn a great deal from him. He held out his hand.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Bill stood watching the scene, and thanked Merlin that Director Ragnok had chosen to involve himself that day, almost a year ago, when Harry needed a helping hand. He was under no illusions that the Goblin had acted out of the kindness of his own heart. The Potter family had significant holdings in Gringotts, and Harry was one of their most important customers.

It was clear that Ragnok had chosen to ally himself with Harry with an eye to the future. Ever since the demise of Voldemort, the night Harry lost his parents, there had been stories circulating that Voldemort was not truly dead and that he would seek Harry out should he eventually return. If the rumours were true, and Harry was destined to confront Voldemort, it was a wise Goblin who chose to help the one who could potentially defeat the man whose goal was the complete subjugation of the world.

The Goblins weren’t stupid. They knew that having Voldemort gain power spelled not only the end of the Goblin nation, but also of their financial empire. If Harry Potter was the one destined to defeat him, then it was Harry Potter who would receive their help and support. It certainly didn’t hurt that Harry Potter was an incredibly honourable wizard, who failed to display the prejudices so rampant in the rest of the Wizarding world, and Director Ragnok genuinely liked him - a rare situation for a Goblin to find himself in.

Watching his sister and her bond-mate animatedly chatting with Sirius Black, a notorious former prisoner, and Remus Lupin, a werewolf, all due to the interference of a Goblin, Bill knew his world was changing, and this was a good thing.



Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129646