The Hunter by Gryffinclaw_31



Summary: All was well in the Wizarding World. When murders started occurring- seemingly at random, Auror Potter was given the job to solve it. How would he solve it with his new skills and a new life? 
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Post-DH/AB
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2020.09.28
Updated: 2021.05.25


The Hunter by Gryffinclaw_31
Chapter 1: I.
Author's Notes:

The Auror Office was known for its tidiness. At least, that was what visitors thought, for they had never visited the Auror cubicles or an Auror's Office.

Hidden behind two piles of papers was a young man with his head on the desk, hand sprawled lazily over the edge.

"Harry! Wake up, mate!" Ron Weasley exclaimed at the sleeping form.

Twenty-year-old Harry Potter jerked at the sound of his best friend, "Whuzzgoinon?" He stretched his hands.

"Did I fall asleep?" He asked, staring at his work incredulously. He never fell asleep at work.

"I think so, you did insist on not sleeping for three days," Ron replied, leaning on the table. "Robards has something for us, told me to fetch you as soon as I stepped into the office,"

Harry nodded, running a hand through his hair on their way. "I still don't know how I fell asleep,"

Ron shrugged and nodded at Kelly, the Head Auror's secretary, before knocking on his door.

"Come in," said a deep voice from the inside.

Gawain Robards sat at a much neater desk, scribbling away on parchment. At their entrance, he looked up and nodded at both of them. The window behind him lit the maroon room brilliantly; he had always been fond of summer.

"Potter. Weasley," He said, greeting the two.

"Morning, sir," Harry replied, Ron, stuck to merely nodding.

"I need the two of you to go to the Leaky Cauldron. There's a body in one of their rooms." Robards, never the one to beat around the bush, said in a clipped tone.

"A body?" Harry asked, frowning.

"In Leaky's? That's unusual," Ron said. Robards nodded.

"Unusual indeed, I am sending you because Longbottom is there, and since you're all friends out of work, it should not look suspicious. Go in civilian clothes, Weasley. Potter, take that cloak of yours. I do not want the press to spread rumours about Voldemort's return," Robards said, a frown on his face.

"We'll leave immediately," Harry said, turning to exit the room.

"Oh, and Potter, Weasley," Robards's voice called out,

Ron turned back, "Yes, sir?"

"You need to submit those files soon." his tone was much lighter this time.

OoOo

Harry wrapped the cloak around him before Apparating to Diagon Alley. Ron was right in front of him. He tapped Ron on his shoulder to confirm his presence.

Ron nodded and entered the pub.

"Neville!" Ron exclaimed, effortlessly switching into a casual tone. A few heads turned around and whispered, most remained undisturbed.

Neville looked confused, "Ron-" he began, but was silenced as Ron thumped him on the back.

"Haven't seen you for so long mate," Ron grinned at him, Harry waited patiently as they dropped the careless attitude. Neville looked around him. Harry walked gently and stepped on his shoe. Neville stared right past him and nodded.

"Oh, yes, I remember. Let me show it to you right now!" Neville said with a forced smile.

Harry removed the cloak as Ron set up privacy charms around the room. Neville and Harry smiled at each other, but it was short-lived.

"Hannah found it this morning, we've left it untouched since then," Neville said sombrely, opening the door, a strange feeling settled over Harry as he saw the big eleven on the door.

"Has anybody left recently? Has this person been living here for long?" Harry asked.

Neville shook his head, "No. Nobody has left the place yet. This person has been living here since yesterday."

"You better come in, Harry," Ron's voice called out.

"Can you seal the Floo? And place some wards around here? Place a Tracking charm at the boundaries, if anyone does leave, we should be able to see where they go," Harry said. Neville nodded.

"I'm going to leave you both here, I will seal the first-floor for now, "under maintenance", but you better hurry," Neville said from the stairs, making quotation marks with his fingers.

Harry stepped in, almost immediately hit by a stench. The room was peculiarly neat, except for the red stains on the sheet where the body lay, and the cracked mirror. He shuddered before shaking his head to focus.

Ron was bent near the mirror, examining its broken shards. Harry walked over to the body and saw a long piece of the mirror vertically under the hand, which was nearly touching the floor.

"It looks like he did it to himself," Ron said as he straightened. Harry frowned and examined the body closely; there were no signs of harm on the body, except for a slit in the stomach. The person looked old, silver hair on his side stood starkly in contrast to the black.

"No, Ron, he couldn't have used a mirror to create such a big gash, there should be something else." Harry looked around, but he could not find the victim's wand.

"Yes, but do you see any signs of disturbance?" Ron asked, examining the body closely.

"Accio wand." He said finally. Two wands flew to him; he threw Ron's back and examined the other. It was overly bent "Prior Incantato."

"Looks like a slicing charm was used," Ron said.

"Yeah, but there's something fishy," Harry said as he looked around the body, "He still has his watch, he's dressed in.." he looked around. "He was going out, Ron," Harry said, pointing at the cloak on the chair.

"You might want to have a look at this, Harry," Ron said grimly, handing him a wrinkled paper.

Dearest Barton,

If you are reading this, then it may well be possible that I have perished at the hands of the Hunter. He has already sent me another letter. You must run away immediately, go to a crowded place, you must save yourself. You must protect yourself, save the family's name-


Harry looked up frowning, "This seems to be a warning, but where's the rest of it?"

Ron shrugged, "Beats me, it's not in this room, I've tried Summoning it,"

"The Hunter? Do we know anyone with that name?" Harry asked, bending down next to the body, it looked eerily peaceful.

"Nobody I know, family's name seems to be an interesting concept, though," Ron said from behind him.

They searched the room in vain; there were no personal items except for the cloak.

"I think we should head back and send this body for a closer examination, that might give us some clue," Ron said, tapping Harry on the shoulder from where he was examining the mirror.

Harry nodded and levitated the wand into a sealed packet, along with the glass shard, he took another case and put the note inside it. The two returned to the pub after closing the room.

"Neville! Thanks for that mate! Come up here!" Ron said, he had always been good at changing his tone, a skill Harry wasn't very good at.

Neville looked at both of them, anxiously, "Well?"

"It's too early to say anything; we don't know if he did it to himself or somebody else did. We'll send some people to pick the body and clean the place. Has anybody left yet?" Harry asked.

Neville shook his head. "Everyone's still down; we only have five people living here, four now. Besides, I don't think a killer would have stayed around for tea."

He nodded, "I'll send a team of Obliviators, let's see if the rest of the people have something to say," he said as he put the Invisibility Cloak on.

The stairs creaked under them. Harry twirled the sealed letter in his hand; there was something off.

OoOoOoOoOo

Author's note: This is going to be my first time writing anything bigger than a one-shot. As of now, uploaded every two weeks. I would love to read your reviews, they are my only way of knowing if you liked it or your views, they are always encouraging me, and I always reply! A huge thanks for to Arnel for helping me with this one.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130494