The Duke by sweeet_babe



Summary: Some time ago a prophecy was made, one that said about two powerful and strong souls who would be able to defeat even the strongest of wizards, bringing peace that the Wizarding World has not seen for centuries. But for that to happen, they would have to be entwined through marriage.
Everything was going well, the children were born healthy and were promised to each other, until one of them was kidnapped.
Rating: R starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2020.11.17
Updated: 2021.08.26


The Duke by sweeet_babe
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

The son of James Potter, Duke of Godric's Hollow, was the hope that the people carried in their hearts. The climate of tension in Yeovil was only increasing and citizens began to fear that soon the wizards would rebel and start an overnight war against the city, as they had done years ago.

And that, too, put pressure on James and Lily.

His wife cried every month that her rules came and made their bed dirty, they needed to have an offspring, to continue the bloodline, to have someone to leave their lands and fortunes to, to whom to entrust the people. 

But no request to the Gods was granted.

It was in the month of November the rules of Duchess Lily did not go down, nor in the following month, much less in the next seven that followed. The people celebrated, it was the joy that the kingdom needed, James would be a father and his heir would soon arrive. It had to be a boy, not just because of the throne, but because it needed to be.

It was already rumored that the Duchess would have a belly as thin as silk, letting her offspring slide out; others said that the wedding was nothing but a farce, in the end, Godric's Hollow would end up throwing the moths and care for some distant cousin who understood nothing. There were even creatives, who sold tabloids about all royal pregnancies generating a girl, and that they making sure to give it to any street vendor who passed by.

And then, on July 31st, in the starriest night that England's summer had ever witnessed, the Marquis Harry James Potter of Godric's Hollow was born. A boy with the emerald-colored eyes that Lily carried in her wedding ring, and also in her eyes, dark and rebellious hair like his father; big and showy, healthy as a bull, inheriting a great and glorious duchy. It was the gift that Merlin sent them and finally, they finally were parents.

The city sang the most lively songs for hours, pierced the skies with fireworks, newspapers ran to inform everyone who hadn’t heard, the servants gossiped at full speed about the boy. All the while, the child's cry echoed through the castle room, shuddering the walls and proving that he was there to get attention, claiming everything that was rightfully his, and bringing joy to the couple.

Less than two weeks later, James learned of the birth of the daughter of the Viscount of Ottery St. Catchpole, Ginevra Molly Weasley. Of course, a duke originally was supposed to marry a duchess, however, James had plans and agreements with Arthur, a great friend, so he declared that the two would be destined to marry as soon as they reached the proper age. It needed to be done, there was no doubt.

But, there was a problem that no one could ever have predicted: Harry J. Potter, heir to the Duchy of Godric's Hollow, was kidnapped.

---------------

Ginny didn't like going to dances, and not just because they were boring, because she was sure that if she had friends - besides her brothers and her personal safety -, or suitors to take her out to dance, the party would be cool. But also, because it was there, that she felt more alone than ever.

She was sitting at the back of the room, listening to the beat of the music and watching everyone dance in front of her, rolling around the room and having fun like never before, some looked at her with pity, others with curiosity, but nobody came too close. Not because she was ugly - she at least didn't think that was the problem - or because she was boring - she would need to be talked to, to prove this theory - it just seemed that Ginny wasn't a magnet for anyone. Sometimes it was good, when she could be alone and breathe, but she also wanted someone to at least speak to her.

Annoyed that she had spent more than two hours sitting alone, or talking to people in her family, Ginny stood up, stomping firmly on the polished floor of Prescott Manor, heading for the back door that led directly into the garden.

Ignoring the minefield of couples kissing and being all together nauseating, Ginny went as far as she could, sitting on a bench that faced the lighted and well-kept greenhouses, breathing in the pleasant air and taking the heels off her feet, tired of them squeezing her ankles all time.

"How are you, madam?" The voice sounded thick behind her, almost startling her, but that would only happen if she hadn't heard it for more than two years in a row.

''Everything is fine, Henry.'' She didn't even look back, annoyed that the only man who spoke to her, was one who had been hired for this. ''Just suffocated.''

''Shouldn't you be inside? I didn't see anyone bothering you.'' Henry commented, in that same calm but observant tone as always, never seeming to judge her. Not that he was going to demonstrate that, Ginny thought the man looked like a stone most of the time.

''That's why I left. Nobody was bothering me.'' She took a deep breath, trying to control her irritation. ''How does my mom want me to get married if, apparently, I'm a freak?''

''You are not a freak, madam.'' Ah, Henry and his chivalry, they would never fail. ''They are a bunch of idiots, if I may say so.'' Ginny finally looked at him, finding it amusing that he said that.

Henry was easily the most beautiful man she had ever seen. He had emerald eyes that shone in almost the same way as stone, but possibly, his irises were more beautiful and were always hidden behind classic, round-rimmed glasses. His hair was always cut, even though it looked naturally messy and dark as night. His shoulders were strong, as was his entire body, and broad in a beautiful, harmonic way, which made her feel like running her hand or just laying her head there. (It had happened a few times, and she had loved the experience).

He had been her security since she had been threatened with death, and as much as at first she had hated the idea of having someone 24/7 behind her, nowadays, on the days that Henry needed to be gone and another Auror stood in his place, she hated it.

Henry was her only friend, outside the family, even though he didn't talk much and almost always agreed with her, - he was an accomplished gentleman - it was the greatest interaction with another man she had ever had in her life. Usually, men would run away from her, say that Ginny was very smart, very mean, uneducated ... All the adjectives of a woman who was not content with anything less than she deserved.

''Thank you, Henry.'' The two were silent, the noise of loud music resounded distantly, but you could hear the laughter, and the conversations in the garden. There were so many couples around her that there would be no fingers to count. ''Let's go for a walk.’' She didn't even wait for his answer, of course he would follow her, it was his job. Holding her heels in her hand, Ginny walked across the cold grass, the hem of her black dress brushing her toes.

Her chest seemed on the verge of breaking, even though she wasn't sure why, besides obviously being angry that there was so much happiness around her... No, it wasn't anger, it was envy, Ginny would never admit it to someone, but that was it, she was envious of those girls who knew and lived in a world she just never set foot on.

She hated herself for it.

Envious of other women because she also wanted to feel her legs wobbly with anxiety for seeing someone she likes, or for receiving a compliment. To be praised. To be envious of another person because she was not noticed by anyone, not being widows, who became lonely with the hours of a ball. How crude she was.

It was to be expected that no one would notice her.

''You know, Henry..'' She started, without looking back, marching towards nothing. ''..I don't need you to take care of me.''

''Of course not, ma'am.'' He replied, not far from her, looking everywhere as a good security guard.

''I am able to take care of myself.'' She said.

''I would never doubt that.'' Ginny stopped, turning to him, the fabric of the dress swirling, the golden threads that embroidered the piece, shone in the fairy lights that were there, and she stared at him. Green eyes showing nothing more than necessary, never looking away from her, as if he were always willing to listen to her.

''I think you're the only person who thinks that.'' She took a deep breath, her chest on fire, feeling silly for feeling alone. ''The rest of the people think that I will only be myself when the Duke shows up .. As if I needed a man to finally be somebody.'' Ginny said more to herself, wanting to shut up that empty space in her chest that never seemed to fill, no matter how hard she tried.

To want is different, to need. She thought.

She didn't need anyone by her side to be better, but she wanted to at least experience that.

Urg, she would go crazy at one time or another.

''I think they have never been more wrong than now, if I may say so.'' Henry smiled, a little, but he smiled.

''I always allow you to say things. You know that, other than the widows and my family, you are the only human being who talks to me.'' Ginny admitted, shrugging and turning again, not wanting him to see loneliness wander in her eyes. She was not as good at hiding her emotions as he was. 

''Madam, you are certainly the strongest witch I have ever had the pleasure of seeing duel. You definitely don't need the Duke to be someone... Nor any other man.'' Henry was closer, not dangerously, but now she could just turn her head slightly to see him, in Auror's black clothes, closed and tidy, without a thread out of place.

''And even if I needed the Duke, I would end up languishing.'' Ginny looked at Henry, only to see him looking a little more curious than usual. ''He was kidnapped after I was born, barely two months old.''

''Do you think he's alive?'' He asked.

She stopped again, turning and looking deep into Henry's emerald eyes, wondering if he was a nobleman, in which family he would be born.

''Not. And if he is, I'm sure he should be a long way from here.''


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130515