When Ginny and Harry Eloped-- Sort Of by GryffindorHealer



Summary: It's a press and paparazzi feeding frenzy when one of Wizarding Great Britain's most famous couples announce their engagement. They expected that, but when someone from the Ministry unexpectedly moves to take over the planning of their big day, Ginny becomes most unhappy. Harry tries to set things right for her. And thus, as it so often does, upon what seemed a simple, small decision did the future turn.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Post-Hogwarts
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2021.01.31
Updated: 2021.03.14


When Ginny and Harry Eloped-- Sort Of by GryffindorHealer
Chapter 6: Chapter 7: Weasley Family Wagers
Author's Notes:

After all her brothers danced with Ginny, and all the ladies with Harry (who blushed very deeply when Minerva complemented him on how much he'd improved his dancing since the Yule Ball during the Tri-Wizard tournament), Ginny and Harry were pushed together for one more dance. As Harry gathered Ginny into his arms, she stood on tip-toes to whisper in his ear, “Harry, when did you learn to waltz so well?” He smiled at her as they stepped in time to a slow-dance piece.

“I wanted to make you happy at our wedding, and Fleur said a waltz is mandatory for weddings. So I asked her, on New Years. Did I mess up?”

Ginny rested her head against his chest, inhaling his scent. “No, Harry, you didn't mess up.” She pulled back slightly and caught his eyes. “Unless you ever try telling me you don't like dancing again.” Harry laughed.

“I'm surprised how much I enjoy dancing with you, my Soul.” Her eyes lit up at his words, she lay her head against his chest again, listening to his heart. As the dance drew to a close, Mrs. Weasley called out, “Dinner is ready, we just need a bit of help getting everything onto the table.”

Charlie, George, Angelina, and Ginny's teammates Gaia, Ginger, and Doozer all started levitating multiple dishes into the dining room, as the rest of the family and guests began to settle in. They helped distribute the bowls and platters around the table for dinner.

Between family and the additional guests invited, nearly 30 people gathered around the magically expanded table. When Molly spotted the newlyweds she called for everyone to sit. Bill glanced at his father, who nodded, and Bill remained standing. A filled wine glass was at every table setting (except for Teddy and Victoire's, whose glasses were filled with water), and Bill tapped his glass for everyone’s attention.

“Normally, we as a family don't do toasts before dinner, but due to some shenanigans on the part of a couple of us, today isn't quite normal, is it?” Laughing rolled around the gathering. “And, when we do a toast on those special occasions, it's either Dad or I who do the honours. Today, though, I believe the honour is yours, brother Ron.” Bill sat, and Ron stood slowly, looked around and cleared his throat.

“Well, even though everyone here is either family or our closest friends, this is still too much like speaking in front of a crowd and you all know how good I am at that, so...” This brought more laughter. Ron looked at Ginny and Harry. “Harry, mate, who could have guessed when we met on the Express ten years ago we'd be here today? I mean, what with all we've been through, there were a lot of times it didn't look like we'd even finish school.”

“You didn't finish school,” called out George, “or did that escape your memory?” Laughter again, even from Minerva McGonagall.

“Shut it, George, this is my speech, yeah? Anyway, Harry, time and again we've gotten through things together. I even went into the Forrest with you after those giant spiders, you still owe me for that one. And while I didn't figure it out, someone had to pour it into my emotional teaspoon,” he nudged Hermione, “I get it now how you worried about fancying your best mates sister.

“Ginny, you've made it really clear we your brothers don't have to defend you. But we're going to, because you're our only sister. Nor am I going to stop telling you two to cease and desist on the public displays of affection you're always doing. Even though I know it doesn't work.” More laughter as Ginny and Harry deliberately turned to each other with a quick snog. “My point, exactly!

“Thing is, Ginny, you've shown us all how clever, witty, strong, and independent you are, that you make good choices, and it still makes me so happy that you've chosen a bloke I happen to believe is one of the best people in the world to make your life with; Harry, I'm so happy you are now more than simply my blood-brother, you're my brother-in-law and you didn't let me chase you away from the best person in the world to complete you.” He lifted his glass, as did everyone at the table.

“To Ginny and Harry, Happiness, Health, Love, and a long life to enjoy it.” With a chorus of 'Here, here” and “To Ginny and Harry” everyone drank to the newlyweds. Ron set his wineglass down and called, “Now let's eat!”

Arthur raised his hand. “There is one more order of business that must be completed before we eat. Welcome to our guests, please indulge us patiently. This is a major family event, and so we must settle up on some Weasley Family Wagers. As Head of the Ancient and Noble House of Weasley, I see that all parties to wagers involving Ginny and Harry are present. Is the Keeper of the Keys and Purse ready?”

Molly stood behind Arthur. “Yes, I am.” Harry noted that her Grin came back to her face.

“I'd like to go first, please. Because... well, most of you know why,” said George. Arthur nodded, and George and Charlie stood. “Feorge and Gred wager two galleons that Ginny and Harry will elope.”
“Charlie wagers, Ginny would, but Harry won't.”

Arthur then asked, “And the outcome?” George reached into his pocket and handed two golden galleons to Charlie, then the two of them shook hands, and Charlie handed the coins to Molly.

“Wait, why isn't Charlie keeping his winnings?” asked Doozer.

Molly answered, “After the wager is paid off, the winner places the funds into our Family Emergency Fund; that's managed by the Keeper of the Keys and Purse. Which is why I can't make any wagers.”

“It's a practice that's helped us out quite a bit over the years,” said Arthur. “Who shall be next?”

Fleur and Percy stood up. “Fleur wagers a galleon, Ginny will be a Beautiful June Bride.”

“Percy wagers, She'll Not be a June Bride, that's too cliché.” Fleur turned Percy's winnings over, and the rest of the ritual as well.

Hermione and Angelina stood next.

“Wait, how many of you made wagers on us?” asked Harry.

Hermione laughed. “Quite a few of us, actually. Hermione wagers a galleon they will be married in September.”

“Angeline that they will marry in July. So neither of us win” Both ladies placed galleons on the table, and shook hands. Molly scooped up the coins.

“For the benefit of our guests, if the wager is a draw, both pay,” said Arthur. “Next?” Harry shook his head, laughing.

Bill and Ron stood next. “Bill wagers two galleons with his brother Ron, they will have a long engagement.”

Ron laughed. “They'll be married within six months of getting engaged.” Both brothers smiled as the coins and handshake were exchanged, and then passed to Molly.

Arthur and Ginny stood next. “Wait, you wagered on us too, Ginny? I am betrayed even before our wedding day!” Everyone laughed, Ginny kissed his forehead. Then she nodded to her father.

“Arthur wagers five knuts with his daughter, Harry won't propose.”

“WHAT? No, I did!”

Ginny laughed loudly. “Ginny wagers, Harry Will Propose. But I won’t say yes at first, because we will be too young.” Arthur came around the table to give Ginny her winnings, but instead of a handshake the two embraced. As Ginny whispered something into her father's ear, Arthur winked at Harry. Then he returned to his place at the head of the table. Ginny turned to Molly. “Mum?”

“Go ahead, dear.”

“Harry, it was the summer after the war and you were in a rough place in your head, and I was trying to help you out of it. This happened while talking to Dad about it. I knew you would propose. I actually expected you to do so during my last year at Hogwarts, instead of just after I got home.” She cupped his cheeks in her hands, leaned forward and kissed him deeply. “And thank you for trusting me, believing me, when I told you we were too young and not ready yet.”

Harry pulled her lips to his again, and when they parted this time, he said, “You've always been worth waiting for. I love you.”

“I love you more, Harry, because you've made me the happiest woman in the world today. Love, even though it's not much, I asked Mum if instead of my winnings going to the Family fund, they could go to one of the charities you support.”

“And I replied,” said Molly, “that I think all of the winnings from these wagers will go to the one you tell us, Harry. It seems to me a great wedding present for you two. Since you surprised us all and didn't give us time to get something else.”

Ginny and Harry blushed lightly, but Molly's huge smile let them know that as Arthur told Harry earlier, all was forgiven. Then someone started applauding, and others asked if they could contribute to the donation as well. He looked around the family and friends gathered at the table and his heart swelled that so many people cared about him, he and Ginny, and causes he held dear. Ginny's hand cupped his cheek, turning him to face her. As she brushed his face with her thumbs, he said, “Happiest day of my life so far. And I still can't believe you all made a bet on us!”

“I will always bet on us, my Soul.” Ginny closed her eyes and kissed him deeply.

“Oi, Mate, if you don't stop snogging and we don't start eating I'll wager we're all going to toss the two of you into a room somewhere so we can,” called out Ron, and Sunday Dinner commenced. Harry looked about at everyone dishing food onto their plates. Conversations between several people overlapped and intertwined with others; elbows were nudged and jokes made. He felt the warmth and love between everyone, and looked into his bride's gleaming chocolate brown eyes. Leaning close, he whispered to her again, “I love you, Ginny.”

Their noses touched, but before they could kiss: “Oi! Less Public Display, More Eating!” Ron's voice rolled over them. Laughing, they turned to their plates.

 


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130552