The Lost Year by _kb_



Summary: After the battle in the Department of Mysteries, Ginny seems different and more confident; she also inspires Harry to change. How did that happen? (gray H/G)
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2021.02.09
Updated: 2021.03.24


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3
Chapter 4: Chapter 4
Chapter 5: Chapter 5
Chapter 6: Chapter 6
Chapter 7: Chapter 7
Chapter 8: Chapter 8
Chapter 9: Chapter 9
Chapter 10: Chapter 10
Chapter 11: Chapter 11


Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Author's Notes: When I first thought of this story, I’d envisioned a long oneshot. Somehow this has become a multi-chapter story of ~70K words over 11 chapters -- essentially a book 6 replacement. I’d say “sorry for all the extra words and story”, but I suspect a number of you won’t mind. The first draft is complete and I’ll post as I polish, which generally takes about 5’ish days for each chapter assuming real life cooperates.


The Lost Year

[A/N: The first four sections in bold are quoted from book 5, “The Order of the Phoenix” by JK Rowling. The story starts during “The Battle at the Department of Mysteries”.]

The jet of red light flew right over the Death Eater’s shoulder and hit a glass-fronted cabinet on the wall full of variously shaped hour-glasses; the cabinet fell to the floor and burst apart, glass flying everywhere, sprang back up on to the wall, fully mended, then fell down again, and shattered.

“Ginny?” Harry said fearfully. “What happened?”

But Ginny shook her head and slid down the wall into a sitting position, panting and holding her ankle.

“I think her ankle’s broken, I heard something crack,” whispered Luna, who was bending over her and who alone seemed to be unhurt. “Four of them chased us into a dark room full of planets; it was a very odd place, some of the time we were just floating in the dark.”

“Harry, we saw Uranus up close!” said Ron, still giggling feebly. “Get it, Harry? We saw Uranus, ha ha ha…”

A bubble of blood grew at the corner of Ron’s mouth and burst.

“Anyway,” continued Ron, “one of them grabbed Ginny’s foot, I used the Reductor Curse and blew up Pluto in his face, but…”

Luna gestured hopelessly at Ginny, who was breathing in a very shallow way, her eyes still closed.

“Harry, it’ll suffocate him!” screamed Ginny, immobilized by her broken ankle on the floor when a jet of red light flew from one of the Death Eater’s wands and hit her squarely in the face. She keeled over sideways and lay there unconscious.

Bellatrix aimed a curse over her shoulder. The tank rose into the air and tipped. Harry was deluged in the foul-smelling potion within: the brains slipped and slid over him and began spinning their long colored tentacles, but he shouted, “Wingardium Leviosa!” and they flew off him up into the air. Slipping and sliding, he ran on towards the door; he leapt over Luna, who was groaning on the floor, past Ginny, who said, “Harry -- what?”, past Ron, who giggled feebly, and Hermione, who was still unconscious. He wrenched open the door into the circular black hall and saw Bellatrix disappearing through a door on the other side of the room; beyond her was the corridor leading back to the lifts.

Ginny watched Harry run after Bellatrix Lestrange. She wanted to help, but her ankle felt like it was killing her. Luna wasn’t going to be of any help nor were Ron and Hermione, so it was up to her. To save her ankle, she started crawling.

When she entered the next room, she realized she’d made a mistake and gone the wrong way in her confusion as she was in the time room. She started to turn around when she saw several variously shaped hour-glasses on the floor next to the wall near a shattered cabinet.

She’d heard the story from Ron about what Hermione had done two years ago. She’d heard of these devices from her father. This could give her a little extra time to fix things -- to help Harry … somehow.

Ginny grabbed the biggest one she saw and looped the chain over her head and looked at the hour-glass right in front of her nose. A quick look around showed she was alone. Screwing up her courage as her heart continued to race and she could hear the pounding in her ears, she twisted the hour-glass once and then let go.

The world around her exploded in a so many colors she couldn’t comprehend it and blacked out.




Ginny felt herself swimming to consciousness and opened her eyes. It was a very plain room and smelled faintly of antiseptics. She was in a hospital; that filled her with some relief -- she hadn’t been captured by Death Eaters.

Trying to raise up, her head lifted enough she saw something across the room in the low light she couldn’t make out. More importantly, she noticed she was tied to the bed. “What--” she slurred with a gravelly voice as she dropped her head back to the pillow.

“You’re awake, what good timing that I was here,” said a female alto voice that wasn’t Pomfrey. A woman who looked to be about 40 with short brown hair and in a dark brown cloak appeared in her sight and waved a wand over her. “Yes, still weak but improving. I believe you’ll live after all.”

“Who are you and where am I?” gasped Ginny.

The woman turned away and then back with a glass of water in her hands with a straw. She held the straw to Ginny lips. “Slowly my dear and rest. Don’t worry, we won’t hurt you.” She pulled the glass and straw back. “We’ll talk in a few hours.”

Ginny started to ask her questions again when a red light flashed and she blacked out.

– – –

When Ginny awakened this time, she heard a low murmur of voices so she kept her eyes closed, hoping to gather some information.

“Please open your eyes, my dear,” the woman from before said. “I know you’re awake as I spelled you so.”

Ginny fluttered her eyes open. As she reached up to rub them, she realized her arms were no longer tied. The light was a little brighter this time and she could see that she was in a room made of ivory colored rock walls, brown cabinets with a white countertop on one side, a solid door on the other side of the room, and the woman still in her brown cloak plus an older looking man with wispy white hair in a light gray cloak. The two were sitting in comfortable looking chairs and watching her.

It wasn’t until now that she realized she was in a hospital gown. That caused her to frown. She sat up to lean against the wall behind her but was careful to keep the sheet pulled up in front of her.

“Good afternoon, Ms Weasley. This is an official welcome to the Department of Mysteries. I’m the director here, Algernon Croaker at your service. The woman with me, well, you can call her Betty. As you can guess, we’re both Unspeakables.”

Betty handed her a small tray with a little food and a glass of water. “You won’t be able to eat much even if you think you’re starving. We’ll do many small meals until your system returns to normal. Please eat while we explain a few things.”

Ginny nodded and took the tray. It did smell good. She really had no option but to trust them at the moment, though she’d stop if anything tasted off in case there were potions in it. After her first bite that made her mouth water and realize how hungry she really was, she ate quickly.

“Now,” Croaker leaned forward and put his forearms on his knees as he looked at her, “I need you to tell me how you got here and why you are here. However, before you start, you need to know that only the full truth will help you here. With the truth, we’ll be able to understand a few things and we’ll attempt to make things right for you. Lying to us and withholding the truth will make us assume you can’t be trusted and then what happens will not be so rosy. We won’t hurt you physically, your safety is assured, but we can make you forget everything if required -- probably things you’d like to remember.

“Do we have an understanding, Ms Weasley?” Croaker stared at her with a kind look on his face though his eyes were hard and bore into her.

Realizing she didn’t have a choice here, especially based on a few things she’d heard her dad say about the Unspeakables, she nodded.

“A verbal answer would be helpful,” he prompted.

“Yes, yes I understand,” she answered in a loud whisper. She also realized she’d finished the small meal and handed the tray back to the woman but kept her glass of water.

“Very good,” he said, the hardness leaving instantly before he sat up and then leaned back in his chair. The woman continued to watch her as if trying memorize her face.

“Perhaps a few facts should be shared before you answer my questions, to help you understand a little more and to help you with your story.” Croaker reached into a pocket and pulled out an hour-glass on a chain. “I believe you used this?”

“Yes,” Ginny answered meekly, knowing she was in deep trouble now.

Croaker nodded and return the hour-glass to a pocket. “It’s really very surprising you survived using it. The last person who tried died.”

Ginny’s eyes went very wide and her hands flew to her face to cover her mouth as she looked at him in horror.

“Yes, you have the proper reaction,” he agreed casually, “but you didn’t die and we’d like to know why.

“In addition, you should know that you’ve been in a coma for eight days and nearly did die. Betty,” he waved lazily in the woman’s direction, “came in early that morning and found you and has nursed you back to your present adequate health.”

“You’ll still be weak for some time,” Betty added, “probably for another week, perhaps longer.”

Ginny lowered her hands slowly as she tried to take in what had happened to her; how close she’d come to death a second time.

“As you can see, the shocker for us is that you survived at all. The shocker for you is that it is the 30th of June…” he paused, “1995.”

Again Ginny gasped and she covered her mouth with her hands. She made no sound but in her mind she was screaming, “NO!”

“Breathe, Ms Weasley,” Betty commanded; Ginny looked at her but felt frozen.

“BREATHE!” Croaker shouted.

Ginny looked at him and then gulped air out and then in. She concentrated on her breathing for several long moments as her mind did its best to come to grips with this information but it was hard. This was almost going to be like her first year in school all over again, only without Tom. She wanted to cry but managed to hold it in.

“I’m sorry for shocking you so,” Croaker said gently, “but there really was no way I could think of to ease into that. You picked up a Time Turner that goes back one year per turn, not one hour as most do. Fortunately for you, it can only be turned once, or so we believe.

“So yes, that means that at this moment there are two of you in existence. There’s the you that’s here and the you who’s a year younger who’s probably at your family home. Yet another fact is that the two of you cannot meet nor can any of your family know that you’re alive here.

“Generally speaking, when that happens the ‘unexpected you’ -- meaning this you -- ends up dead. That’s because everyone else thinks you shouldn’t exist and therefore you’re an imposter and someone gets spell-happy, usually some troglodyte Auror, and you snuff it. Eventually when the other Ginny Weasley uses the Time Turner, she disappears and Ginny Weasley is considered dead going forward because you’re never found. So let’s not go there, shall we?

“Obviously, that means you’ll be with us for the next year, at which time we’ll insert you back at the proper place at the proper time and you go on with life -- leaving out a few details as to how we get there.”

Croaker leaned forward again. “So Ms Weasley, now that you have the basic facts, I need to know how you got into the Department and why. Tell us everything up until you spun the Time Turner -- and I do mean everything connected even if it doesn’t seem important at first.”

“Can you change things? You know, fix the problems?” Ginny asked hopefully.

“No, Ms Weasley,” he answered. “Oh, we can try, but all of the important events will happen anyway. For example, if you tell us you came in through the Floo Network and we block that, you’d just come in a different way. We’ve found that the only true recourse is to let the events happen anyway but be available to pick up the pieces a little faster. This is why Time Turners are so dangerous. Now, my questions please,” he commanded.

Ginny nodded and considered where to start as she tried to put a timeline together.

“Don’t worry about time,” Croaker said, surprising her. “Pretend you’re in 1996 telling a story about your past and time is going on. I’ll worry about how it loops.”

She nodded and looked at the glass in her hands and came to a decision. “During my third year, so a year or more ago, we had the Triwizard Tournament at Hogwarts.” She looked up.

“I recall,” Croaker said.

“During the last task, Harry Potter was taken to a graveyard and something was done so that Tom Riddle somehow gained a new body--”

“Wait, who’s Tom Riddle?” Betty asked.

“That’s You-Know-Who’s real name.”

“How do you know that?” Croaker asked, looking a little excited.

“That’s another story with Harry,” she answered, dreading its retelling but knowing she’d probably not be able to avoid it.

“Very well,” Croaker conceded with a sigh, “so Voldemort really does have a new body?”

“Yes,” she nodded. “Because of that Fudge and others didn’t want to hear about it, so they did their best to discredit him and Dumbledore, including sending a hag named Umbridge to teach Defense this last year -- though a toad could have taught it better.”

Each of the Unspeakable chuckled at that. “I’m sure, go on.”

“So I grabbed the Time Turning hoping to go back an hour so I could do something to help Harry. I did look around and saw that I was alone when I used it.” Ginny sighed. “That’s what happened, I swear.” She finished the water in her glass, thankful for it as she was parched after the long story.

Croaker looked at Betty who nodded, and he returned his own nod. “That helps us understand a few things and it’s very interesting. I know you haven’t been awake long, but why don’t you get some rest. I’ll return tomorrow and we’ll talk more.”

“I’ll bring another small meal in soon,” Betty said. “Eat it all as that will help you gain strength faster. There is a small curtained area over in the corner,” she pointed to an area Ginny hadn’t noticed before for some reason, “that contains a toilet and a shower. I’ll also bring clothes your size when I bring the meal. Lastly, there is a thick white line on the floor near the door. Do not try to cross it or you’ll be very, very, and I mean very unhappy.” Betty cocked her head with a questioning look.

Ginny sighed. “I understand.”

“I’m sure you don’t feel like it, but it’s for your own protection,” Betty told her. “There are a few of us who know who your father is and so could work out who you are. As Algernon told you earlier, that would be bad for you.”

“So I’m stuck here for the next year?” Ginny complained bitterly.

“If you want to be,” Croaker said as if he didn’t care while he stood, “but there are at least two other options that I can think of. Nevertheless, get used to this as I believe you’ll be here for at least two weeks and possibly three. I’ll bring some books by for you tomorrow to help you pass the time. Any requests?”

Ginny could hardly think straight by this time with so much swirly through her mind. “Whatever is easy for now.”

“I can do that,” Croaker said before he turned and left.

“I’ll be back shortly,” Betty said and then left too.

Ginny continued to sit there. All she could think of at the moment was how stupid she had been for picking up the Time Turner. This was the second time she’d picked up something she severely regretted and now she wondered if she was doomed to continue picking up innocent looking but harmful objects for the rest of her life … perhaps not as it might be a short life.

Betty returned with a tray and a small box. “The foods this time don’t need warming, so eat when you like.” She turned the box over and emptied it before vanishing it and enlarging all of the items it had contained. “Here’s two sets of clothes; leave dirty ones in a pile here on the counter and they’ll be laundered. I had one book for pleasure in my office that you can borrow.” She held it up before setting it down. “I don’t know where you are in your cycle, but I put a few feminine items in the stack too.

“You’ll noticed that the curtain in the bathroom area doesn’t go to the floor, but it will cover to your knees for privacy while still allowing us to know you’re in there should you be in there when we visit. There are towels in there. Finally, in case you were wondering, I changed you into that gown and we were alone. I promise I won’t let anyone take advantage of you physically while you’re here.”

“Thank you,” she said quietly, hoping that was a promise the woman could keep.

“Get some rest.” Betty pointed to a clock on the wall. “That does have the correct time so it really is a little after five in the evening. We’ll be back tomorrow morning around eight. Good evening.”

Ginny watched the woman leave and the door close. It was so quiet she could hear a pin drop. Walking over to the counter, she found cheese and crackers along with several fruits. Her glass was on the counter so she could refill it from the tap as needed. The book looked like something Hermione had shown her once. A glance showed it was Muggle in origin as it was made of paper; that was also true when she considered the cover was something she’d never seen in Flourish and Blotts. She had to admit that the shirtless man with long golden hair -- who was holding a woman whose dress had fallen off of her shoulders and seemed to be enjoying his embrace -- was someone who was easy on the eyes.

Grabbing a set of pyjamas that had been with the clothes, she went into the bathroom area and took a quick shower, including washing her hair which had felt very unkempt. It wasn’t her usual soaps, but they worked. Happy to be wearing something more normal she returned to sitting on the bed.

She didn’t have her wand, she had no power to do anything, she was a prisoner for the next year. That broke the dam and she started to cry. Eventually she fell asleep.




The next morning, Ginny was awakened when the door opened and the lights were raised to half. It had taken her several minutes to find a control for the lights on the counter last night in order to turn them off.

“Good morning,” Betty said briskly yet mostly friendly. She set a tray of steaming food on the counter. “I suppose we should get you an alarm clock too. Is there anything else we need to get for you?”

“The soaps I’m used to and a window,” Ginny replied. While not expecting it, she added, “My wand would be nice too.”

“Give me the name of the soaps; I’ll see if I can find a small window. As for your wand, eventually. Right now it’s important you not use magic in order for your body to recover faster,” the woman replied. “I’d suggest you get dressed first then eat. Algernon and I will return in about half an hour.” She left as quickly as she’d come a moment ago.

Not having any good reason to rebel, she turned up the lights all the way then changed quickly and put her pyjamas in a cabinet drawer. She also put her extra set of clothes away before she started on her breakfast. With no one to talk to, she easily finished eating her breakfast before they came. In fact, she ate a little of the fruit left over from last night too.

At half past eight, the door opened again for the her two… What did she want to call them? Jailers seemed to go a little too far. While they might consider themselves protectors she didn’t. Somewhere in between she decided before settling on “minders”.

“Good morning, Ms Weasley,” Croaker said cheerfully.

“Ginny will be fine since I’m going to be here for some time,” the girl said with some resignation.

“As you wish,” he agreed with a nod. “I’ll reciprocate and allow Algernon; Betty is always and only Betty.

“Now, you might not be as excited about this as we are, but it’s time to start gathering information on why you survived.”

“You mentioned talking about what would happen to me for the year,” Ginny reminded him.

“We can do that at the end if we have time, else there’s tomorrow,” Croaker told her. “I can guarantee you’ll be here for at least two weeks. Oh, I almost forgot.” He moved to the counter and pulled out a small box which he opened and dumped before an almost negligent wave of his wand enlarged all of the items.

“School books, used but serviceable, plus a Muggle spiral notebook and a few pens.” The man grinned. “Given what your father does, I’m sure you’ve seen a Muggle pen. So very fascinating and inventive. I use them personally when I don’t have to turn in official work.” Croaker picked one up and pressed the top so it clicked, then did it again for a slightly softer click before setting it down. “Brilliant.”

Ginny had seen Hermione use a pen, so she had a small clue, but she’d have to experiment when she was alone, not that she’d tell them that.

“Now, stand up very straight against the wall, please?” Croaker directed as he walked over.

When she’d moved, he ran his wand horizontally across the top of her head. She only knew what he was doing because her mum had done it once a year every year. That gave her a small pang she pushed away immediately. Moving to the side she saw him pull out a set of folded sticks and unfold them into a long one with numbers on it.

When the device was long enough, he held touched it to the floor and then measured to the mark. “Hmm, a touch over five-two; you’re a short one.” At her glare, he chuckled, “But you have an attitude to make up for that.” He put the folding ruler away and pulled out a small device he enlarged. “Step on that please and stand very still.”

She complied and let him adjust it. “Hmm, I think that weight is about right. Betty?” He shrunk the scale down and put it away.

“Yes, it’s reasonably proportional to her height,” Betty answered as she pulled out a cloth tape measure like Madam Malkins used. “Arms out straight please.”

Ginny rolled her eyes but did as she was told. Several measurements later Betty stepped back and wrote the answers on something on her clipboard. “I can’t imagine how my measurements would affect the Time Turner.”

“They probably don’t,” Betty agreed, “but we also don’t really know, do we?”

Croaker waved his wand over her. “I find nothing magical in her other than her own magic. I believe you said there were no magical marks on her skin anywhere.”

“Correct,” Betty replied while writing.

“Hey!” Ginny objected when she realized what they were discussing.

Betty fixed her with a sharp look, though Ginny didn’t lose any of her pique. “I had to examine you for injury, it was easy enough to make sure you weren’t marked for some ritual done to you when you were a baby.”

Ginny blinked and her temper cooled a little. “Seriously, people do that?”

“Yes,” Croaker answered, “and you know a person like that. Here, take this stick and do a Lighting charm and then hand it back.”

She took the stick but asked, “Who?”

“Something for you to think about later. The spell please?” he directed. “I know Betty doesn’t want you using magic, but I don’t think this one spell will hurt.”

None of her friends had any special marks, so maybe someone else from school she wondered. At his pointed look she cast, “Lumos!

He took the stick back and examined it before writing something down. Looking over, she saw him enter “87”.

“What does 87 mean?” she asked, since he answered most questions, even if only briefly.

“It means you scored an 87 for magic. Well above average and almost exceptional but not quite so,” he replied. “No, the scale does not stop at 100,” he anticipated next her question.

“Also, the score is not completely accurate since you’re only fifteen,” Betty added. “It will be more accurate in a year and we’ll contact you for a quick test in three years if you’re still alive. For the next few minutes, please stand very still.”

Ginny sighed and watched both of them cast several spells, but had no idea what they were checking for. Instead she considered the earlier question. Who could have been marked for a ritual when a baby? That seemed like a cruel thing to do. They talked like it’d leave a permanent mark, maybe something like… “Harry!” she exclaimed with a small jump.

“Ms Weasley! Be still!” Betty admonished her.

Croaker just looked disappointed in her. “Obviously; now be still so we can finish our other measurements quickly.”

She could almost imagine Snape saying that given his tone of voice, she thought with a grin. Still, Harry had had a ritual done on him as a baby? Oh, right; it had to be why he’d survived that night. “He did survive the Kiling Curse,” Ginny said softly, “but Tom still affects him when he’s near. Harry said he gets a killer headache and it usually knocks him to his knees if they’re close enough.”

Croaker jerked his wand away from her and stared while Betty kept working. “Seriously?”

“Yes.”

“Very interesting, but a topic for another time.” Croaker resumed his work, though she never felt a things from either of them

About another ten minutes later, Betty stopped and then Croaker did too. They stepped back and conferred with one another for a few minutes in hushed tones as they pointed at their clipboards. Eventually they stopped and just looked at each other, much like she’d seen her father and mother do to hold a silent conversation, making her wonder.

“Are you two married?” she asked. The two Unspeakables twirled towards her so fast and in sync that it was comical, making her have to put a hand over her mouth to prevent a giggle.

“No,” was all Croaker said before he looked at the clock and then conjured his comfortable chair, with Betty doing the same.

“Betty will continue to monitor your health and do a few checks over the next week, but I shall not return until you are again at full health,” said the director.

Croaker looked at her intently. “I shall give you that time to consider what you’d like to do to hide for a year. Betty told me of your desire for a window and I’ll get a small one for you so you at least know if it’s day or night while you’re here. You have three choices, in no special order.

“First, you may stay here as you are now. Personally, I think you’re too normal to do that as it will get very lonely. Only Betty and I know you are here and it shall stay that way. Eventually, the only individual you’ll see on a daily basis is a house-elf to bring your meals, with Betty or I stopping by for a short check a few times a week.”

Ginny tried to keep a neutral face, but mentally she was cringing as that sounded horrible. “Second?”

“Second,” he continued, “we can put you in a coma with Draught of Living Death and then wake you up a couple of days before we reinsert you into the timeline, while wiping your memories of the short time you’ve been awake with us. While that may sound frightful, it’s the best option in some ways as you’ll return looking as you do now. One month awake won’t really change you enough to matter and then you don’t have to worry about the boredom. I’ll also make a magical vow to you that we will wake you.”

Ginny didn’t like the sound of this either, though she could see the advantages if she could ignore her feelings on this -- which she couldn’t at the moment. “What’s the third?” she asked in a quiet voice, almost afraid to hear what it was.

“Have you heard of an island named Hugh Town?”

Ginny shook her head.

“It’s an island in the Celtic Sea, a little beyond the western tip of Cornwall. There are a number of islands there and the Department has a small island hidden near Hugh Town for experiments when we need it. It’s sort of an oblong oval shape and a little over a square mile that’s mostly forest with some clearings and a small house. There are wards there to keep it hidden plus we can make it so only the two of us can go there and you can’t leave.

“You’d live on your own with Betty to stop by a couple of times a week. The obvious downside is that you’d be fairly lonely there too. The upside is that you wouldn’t be stuck in a room and the weather is fairly decent there in that it rarely freezes. But some would consider it cold for much of the winter, at least naturally. The wards on the island do temper that so it’s not so bad, though it’ll never be hot even in the summer.”

“That’s only slightly better, and very slightly,” Ginny commented acidly. “None of those are good options.”

“Actually, the last option could be significantly better if you let me finish,” he said a little perturbed. At her nod, he added, “While you would be living independently, it would mean you’re awake and so you could learn and revise. I can also put your name on the list of home-schooled students who want to take their OWLs in early July, usually a week after Hogwarts lets out. You would have your wand there to help you. That means that if you worked hard enough, you could skip a year at Hogwarts and join your brother and his friends in their classes if you wanted. You’d also be a full year older also.”

Ginny blinked at him and they let her think. “I can see some advantages to that,” she said eventually and slowly.

“You’d have to convince your parents to let you take the exams, but that’s up to you.” Croaker’s hard look came back. “For the first or last options, I will require an Unbreakable Vow not to divulge you used the Time Turner, where you spent your time, and a few other things. For the second option where you’re asleep, we’ll just remove your memories of your time with us and put you back in the Time Room to be found by the Aurors.”

Croaker stood. “I really don’t care which option you pick, but you have until the end of next week to give me an answer and the sooner you do the less time you’ll have to spend here, or awake, if you pick either of the last two options as I don’t expect you to want to live in this room for a year.”

“I don’t,” Ginny confirmed.

Croaker nodded and left.

Ginny looked at Betty who was tidying up but obviously getting ready to leave. “He was serious about all three options?’

Betty looked at her completely serious. “Yes. I suppose if you could come up with another option he’d consider it, but I doubt you can if we can’t.”

“I can’t now,” Ginny told her. “What’s the island really like?”

“Like he explained. It’s not bad when I’ve spent the weekend there when I wanted some quiet time to get away. It rains more than I’d like for a holiday spot, but the cottage house is pleasant enough. It will keep you busy enough that between doing your daily work and learning, you won’t be bored.” Betty paused, “Don’t underestimate the isolation though. You’re from a larger family and when you’re not with them you’re at school. It will be you and a few small animals like chickens only. I’ll stop by a couple of times a week and I’ll answer any questions you have about your schoolwork, but otherwise, it’ll only be you.”

“That sucks,” Ginny groused.

“You used the Time Turner, this is the consequences,” Betty returned with no sympathy. “If you don’t like it that much, take the Draught and Obliviation then you’ll never know this happened.

“An elf will bring lunch to you soon. If you need anything, either wait until I return next time or give a note to the elf if it’s more urgent.” Betty turned and left.

Ginny looked at the clock and noted it was only about eleven in the morning. “This really sucks!” she said sarcastically to the room.




(A/N: Now you can see how a year “gets lost”. :)

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Author's Notes: (A/N: Thank you for the kind reviews. It seems a number of people haven’t seen an idea like this before, so hopefully this will be fun. :)


Chapter 2

It was two days before Betty returned. “How are you feeling?”

“Restless,” Ginny answered.

“I’m not surprised.” Betty did a couple of spells.

“Should I assume you’ve determined why I survived?”

Betty snorted. “You should assume nothing of the sort. We have a good lead, but nothing more. You need to finish healing before we can continue testing. You may not feel it, but your body took a real beating getting here. That’s also part of the mystery.”

“Oh, all right.” Ginny sighed and looked at the woman. “If I choose the island, could I make a list of things to have, you know, that you’d supply?”

Betty pulled a small square out of her pocket and enlarged it before she stuck the artificial window to the wall with a spell. Ginny now had a view out into London; the other end of the window was on the top of some building. It didn’t matter too much what she saw out of it, at least she now knew when it was day and night.

“You can make the list,” Betty replied, “as long as the items aren’t hard to get or expensive then you’d probably receive them. You can assume that the basics that you’ll need to live are there, like a stove, cookware, a bed, a well, and so forth. There are also some chickens living there now, so you’ll have eggs and some meat from them. There are no predators on the island so it is quite safe. You may also assume you’ll have more notebooks and pens, since they’re smaller.”

“It’s tempting,” Ginny said as she sat on the bed.

“Algernon almost didn’t give you that option as food for a year is a significant investment, but I pointed out you’re helping to solve one of our mysteries plus you can grow most of your own food. There’s are chickens and you can fish as fish are not stopped by the wards. The wards extend into the water and go fifty yards into the seabed, so don’t try to swim under them as they’d render you unconscious and you’d drown.”

Ginny shook her head in amazement. “Right, don’t try to escape.”

Betty smiled. “Is there anything else for now?”

“No.”

Betty nodded and left. Ginny returned to the school books and sighed. She might as well finish looking them over as she considered her options for the year. She crossed a couple of questions off of her list and considered what else she wanted to ask Betty next time the woman came. At least she was making an effort to help.




Ginny had made her own calendar, so she knew it was a week after she’d awakened that both Croaker and Betty returned.

“Ms Weasley, excuse me, Ginny, how are you doing?” Croaker asked as he walked in and stood in front of her. Betty had stopped beside him but started doing spells on her. That was so common now Ginny barely paid her any attention.

“Bored out of my mind but otherwise I feel all right,” Ginny replied. “I have a question or two, otherwise I think I have my answer for you.”

“That’s fine,” he told her as he pulled his wand out. “You hold onto those for a bit.” He looked at his companion. “How is she?”

“She’s fully healed or close enough to it,” Betty replied. “I think we can do the next round of tests.”

“Splendid, truly splendid. Let’s see what we have for a baseline.” He held out the wand-like stick to her again. “A light spell please?”

Ginny did it and handed the stick back.

“Yes, write down an 88 this time,” Croaker said.

“It’s only 1 point higher,” Ginny pointed out.

“It matters,” Croaker told her as he started casting spells on her with his wand. Betty joined in a moment later.

Ginny just stood there and considered her options yet again. She’d been so bored she’d even written down all the people she knew and considered what would happen, or her guesses on what she thought they’d do or think, if she went to the island and came back a year older -- something she thought Hermione would have done. The answers had surprised her in a few cases.

A tingling running through her entire body -- from the top of head down to her toes and everywhere in the middle -- brought her out of her thoughts. “Hey!”

Betty looked at Croaker. “No nerve damage. Physically, she’s perfectly healed and in good form.”

“I can’t find anything magically off either,” Croaker said with exasperation. He pulled out the stick, tapped his wand to it and handed it back to Ginny. “Hold this for a moment please.” She complied.

The two Unspeakables stepped back towards the door and had a private conversation with only the occasional indistinct murmur being heard. Ginny ignored them and looked at her window. She knew she couldn’t stay here for a year, but living on an island by herself sounded so … daunting.

Suddenly a blast knocked her backwards so she slammed into the wall and started her heart racing. Looking towards the Unspeakables, she saw Croaker looking at her with a gleam in his eye and his wand pointed at her.

Betty was sprawled on the floor. “Ginny, protect yourself! That’s really a wand!”

Croaker cast what looked like cutting curse at her, heading for her wand hand. She dodged left so the spell barely missed her. His wand moved to track her and she said the first dangerous spell she could think of. “Reducto!” She looked at the wand in horror when nothing came out.

Looking back at her attacker, she saw that Croaker had turned and was helping Betty off the floor. “My apologies for the surprise, Ginny,” the man said.

Betty was smiling and walking toward her while Croaker stayed where he was, his wand away.

Ginny looked at each of them in shock not understanding what was going on and trying to figure out what she should do. Her pounding heart wanted to run, but there was nowhere to run to.

Walking up, Betty gently pulled the “wand” from Ginny and looked at it. “It reads 95,” she said over her shoulder to her colleague before looking at Ginny. “That’s very respectable and pushes you into the exceptional range -- at least when you’re emotional.”

Looking between the two, she finally figured out that had been another test. “What the bloody hell were you doing?!” she all but screamed.

Croaker pulled his wand out and conjured a chair and sat, as did Betty. “That really was the last test, Ginny. You can take a seat.” He was as calm as ever as he indicated the bed with a wave of his hand.

“I’ll stand,” she ground out through a clenched jaw.

“As you wish,” he replied casually. “To answer your question, I’m sure you’ve noticed that you can do … let’s call it larger magic, when you’re emotional. When you were younger, it’s what triggered accidental magic. Generally, being very emotional, whether that’s anger or fright or any other intense emotion, will raise your magical potential from 1 to 10 points on our scale. To go up seven points is rather amazing really. I only go up five; Betty can get six more points. Amusingly, if you were to average all the women and all the men, the women go up about half a point more than the men … something we don’t advertise because some men’s ego couldn’t handle it.”

“So you did that just to make me frightened and angry?” Ginny asked, only slightly calmer now.

“Yes,” he agreed. “Again, I’m sorry for surprising you and putting you through that, but we needed the reaction to be real for a good test.”

“Was it good?” she asked, still edgy.

“Very much so,” Croaker said. “It doesn’t answer the mystery because that would take at least several more people using the Time Turner to test our hypothesis, but at least we have a hypothesis now when all we had before were a number of random guesses. So excellent progress.”

“So why did I survive?” Ginny asked as she dropped onto the bed, the fight mostly out of her now -- the anger only starting to calm.

“We believe it was because of your amount of magic,” he explained. “We’re not sure if you would have survived if you had used it normally. However, you were all ‘pumped up’ as they say from fighting and worries about your friend that you probably pulled in five or more points of extra magic. We believe that’s what did it. We’ll test it again someday now that we have this information.”

Ginny shook her head at the strangeness of all of this, fairly convinced she could never work here.

“With that done, I believe you had some questions for us and maybe a decision?” Croaker prompted.

Shaking her head again Ginny turned and grabbed her spiral notebook and flipped to the back. “If I stay on the island and then decide to take my OWLs when I return, are they permanent or can I retake them later if I don’t do well?”

“I’m sorry, but you can not retake them. If you don’t take the OWL for a subject, you can take that OWL later, but you may not retake an OWL exam,” he answered.

“Figures,” she said morosely. “When you sign me up, can you sign up a friend of mine and if you can, does she have to take the tests or can she ignore them and take them at school later?”

“I can sign her up when I sign you up, but she doesn’t have to take them, nor will you. If you show up, either of you can take them; if you don’t show, no one will care and you’ll have to take them at the end of next year,” he replied.

“I’ll have lived for 17 years on what everyone thinks is my 16th birthday. Will the Trace on my wand be removed then or the following year?” she asked, hopeful it was the first.

“It depends,” Croaker said with an amused smile. “If you use that wand, then you have no worries as there isn’t a Trace on it now because it’s not really yours, is it?”

That startled her. “No. My mum said it was my grandmother’s.”

“The Trace was removed when your grandmother turned 17. I can tell you,” he continued, “that while it’s a reasonable match, it’s not the best match for you. I would suggest you find a way to get a personally fitted wand. If you do, then the Trace put on it will wear off on your supposed 16th birthday.”

That pleased Ginny and she hoped she could convince her father to take her to get a new wand.

“Betty said that the basics of everything I’d need to live on the island are there, do you believe that’s true?” Ginny noticed that Betty didn’t seem offended, for which she was glad.

“Other than food, it’s all there,” he replied. “We’ll give you some food, but we’ll also give you some plants and you’ll be expected to grow your own vegetables, in addition to having chickens and fish.”

“Some of us go there and spend some time there occasionally, whether to do larger experiments or to take a cheap holiday. Obviously, I’ll tell everyone that is not an option until next summer as a long running experiment is being conducted there by Betty and myself. That’s not unheard of, by the way, so no one will say anything or try to go there. Should I take it that’s your decision?”

Ginny ripped a page out of her notebook and held it out for Croaker to take. “Can I have these items?”

Croaker smiled at the first item. “Yes, you can have your wand back then. The food items shouldn’t be a problem, nor the clothes. A calendar is easy as is rope. The books listed or those like them are possible but you won’t be able to keep them.” He looked up. “You’ll want to learn to conjure as soon as possible.” Looking back at the list his eyebrows rose in surprise. “You want three pairs of rabbits?”

“And some goats,” she added, knowing that was next on the list. “Chicken is great and beef in tins will work; but I’ve never been one for eating a lot of fish, although I’ll find out if fresh fish makes it better or not. So yeah, rabbit for variety. The goats will help a little with that but I want them more for the milk.”

“I don’t recall those types of animals being discussed in the Care of Magical Creatures class,” he said with amusement.

Ginny rolled her eyes. “That’s because they’re not magical,” she answered sarcastically, causing Betty to smile. “We have chickens at home as well as goats -- well, sometimes. Mum usually gets a goat in the spring, gets some milk from it to make cheese and things, then we eat it for a special occasion, like for Christmas one year when I was much younger. I still remember it.”

“If you’re sure.” Croaker stood. “We’ll need a few days to get this together and I have something else for you, so we’ll take you on Friday afternoon.”

“I’ll be by to see you every Friday afternoon and probably every other Tuesday evening,” Betty informed her.

“While I’ll come one Friday a month with her,” Croaker informed her as he pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to her. “That is the Unbreakable Vow you’ll be required to swear to if we do this. If you don’t want to do that, then the long sleep and Obliviation is what will happen.”

“Why didn’t you tell me that first?” Ginny demanded.

“Because I wanted to see what your decision was.” He gestured towards the paper. “It’s not that onerous. You just have to never communicate what you did to anyone and in any form. No telling, writing, gesturing, nothing -- for the rest of your life.”

“No even with permission from you? What about a future husband?” She protested.

He looked at his assistant for a moment. “I’ll grant that and change the vow, but it’ll have to be after you receive permission from one of us first. Of course, he’ll have to give an Unbreakable Vow not to tell either.”

Ginny didn’t like it but thought she wouldn’t get any other concessions. “I’ll agree.”

“Excellent! Continue your planning and we’ll return on Friday, do the Vow, then take you to the island. Have a good day, Ginny.” He left and Betty followed.

Ginny angrily hit the mattress with her fist. Her father had been very clear never to do an Unbreakable Vow and yet here she was about to do just that.




After Ginny finished lunch on Friday, she took a quick shower, not knowing when her next one would come. Then she packed what little she had and waited. Spying the novel Betty had left for her, she picked it up and reread the last part, avoiding the part that had made her blush so much before when reading it lest she look flushed when they came for her.

It was a little after three when the door opened and the pair came in looking as they always did, although Betty had what looked like a cloak over her arm.

Croaker handed her a piece of paper with the new vow on it for her to look over.

It was as he said it would be. “I’m ready,” she said, even though a large part of her was screaming not to do this. She’d decided that there were more advantages to taking this option.

She made the Unbreakable Vow on her magic to Croaker with Betty being the bonder … and it was done.

Betty handed her the cloak before she conjured a cardboard box and put all of Ginny’s things into it, plus shrinking down the clock and adding it to the box. “You’ll find that cloak hard to see out of. It safeguards you from seeing things you shouldn’t and others from seeing your face.”

“All right. Oh, you can keep the novel, but I’d like to borrow another one or two if it’s easy enough.” Ginny was glad she’d pulled the hood up as she was sure she was blushing.

Betty laughed huskily anyway. “I have a whole shelf of them as they’re one of my guilty pleasures. I’ll bring a few next time I visit. I doubt you’ll have time to read for fun before then anyway. Carry this and I’ll guide you.” She handed the box to Ginny.

Ginny only saw very fuzzy images, not really able to make anything out as they walked, other than Croaker’s form in front of her. She felt Betty’s hands on her shoulders to guide her from behind. Eventually they came to a small room and a metal ring was pushed into one of her hands before the other two grabbed it also.

“Island,” said Croaker and they were pulled away.

Betty kept her upright when they landed and she pulled the hood of the heavy cloak back so Ginny could see. “Welcome to Unspeakable Island. I know, not very imaginative, but we don’t use it too much either.”

Ginny looked around and saw a grassy area at first with a thin forest beyond. A few chickens were clucking and eating and a family of three goats were munching on grass, tied to a nearby tree. Turning, she saw a small structure about the size of her father’s shed with a good-sized porch and a number of boxes under the covering. It was also misty, not really raining but sort of threatening to, while the sun looked like it was trying to poke through the clouds in a few places.

“Come on,” Betty told her and walked toward the small house. Croaker was gazing around, looking like he was there to enjoy the day more than anything.

The small house was old looking, weather-beaten, but it stood. If the porch was anything to go by, it had a thatched roof; she hoped there was magic applied so it wouldn’t leak.

Inside where more boxes, a small fireplace, a bed, a kitchen area (not a separate room as the bed was in this main room too), and one door besides the one to the outside. There was a large wall of shelves between the kitchen area and the door to what was probably the bathroom, or she hoped that what it was and she didn’t have to go outside.

“You can put your box here for now,” Betty said, indicating the small table for eating that had only two chairs. There was a small box on the table already.

“It’s minimal,” Betty told her, “but it’s all here. The linens stacked on the bed were cleaned by our department house-elf yesterday. There are two changes plus towels and such. There is no running water for the kitchen, unless you’d like to add that somehow. You can get water from the well outside and bring it in. We usually put it in that cask,” she pointed to one on a shelf next to the sink that would have held maybe two galleons, “to use as we need. The stove works. That cabinet will keep things chilled; that smaller cabinet will keep things frozen. I’ll let you find the pots, pans, and cutlery.

“Through that door,” she pointed, “is the bathroom. Don’t drink the water in there as it’s all conjured. The toilet is standard and self-vanishing whatever you flush. The water for the shower is heated, but it doesn’t heat very quickly. You’ll learn how to use it I’m sure,” the woman said with a knowing smile.

Walking back to the table she opened the small box that had been there. The first thing she pulled out was Ginny’s wand, which Ginny snatched and held it to her, so happy to have it back, causing the two adult to chuckle.

“Please pay attention,” Betty told her. “I’ve given you a few potions for your safety, as we vowed to keep you safe as much as we could. There are a few Pepperup potions for if you get sick. Please don’t use them for just sniffles, but if you really come down with a severe cold or something, you should take one.

“If you hurt yourself, take it easy and take a Strengthening potion. If you cut yourself and can’t heel it, I have a jar of Dittany and some bandages. There’s a Blood Replenishing potion for a really bad cut where you had trouble stopping the bleeding.

“If you do something really stupid or just have really bad luck,” Betty held up the tiniest phial Ginny had ever seen, “I’ve left you three Phoenix tears. This is for only the direst of emergencies like if you’ve practically cut your hand off or something. Use them one drop at a time if at all possible as they aren’t cheap. I’d like them returned if at all possible, but if you truly need them you have them.”

“That takes us to the ultimate emergency,” Croaker cut in, surprising Ginny as she’d forgotten about him since he’d been so quiet. “On a peg by the door,” he pointed, “you’ll see a white rabbit’s foot on a chain. ”If something catastrophic happens, like a medical emergency you can’t handle or a sudden storm that is knocking down the house -- which is unlikely and I’ll explain why in a moment -- then you can grab the rabbit’s foot and say ‘Life or death’ and it will Portkey you to Betty’s office.“

Croaker fixed her with a stare so intimidating she took a half-step back. “I must warn you, Ms Weasley, to do that only in the direst of emergencies where it is literally get away to live or stay and die. If you take that Portkey, it will set off an alarm and there is the very real possibility that someone other than the two of us will find you. If that happens…” he continued to stare at her.

“My Vow will be broken,” she whispered.

“Rightly so,” he nodded. “Of course, if you feel you’re dying anyway, then you don’t have much to lose and perhaps Betty or I will find you first and can hide you and save you.”

Croaker turned to the two stacks of good-sized boxes that were next to him and as tall as he was. “Here is a task for you in repayment for our helping you, as I have paid for it out of my own pocket and will not get the money back until you and your friends come to help the Death Eaters destroy my department a year from now.”

He sighed and paused for a moment. “This stack of boxes has materials for making the glass orbs that will be destroyed. There are instructions for making the orbs in the top box. As you make them, use this other stack of boxes for the finished orbs. As you fill all of those, you can use the now empty material boxes to hold the other half you will create.

“I’m aware that your first few days if not your first week here will be quite busy as you organize, but when I return in a month I expect you to have made an effort such that I can see at least a few completed to know you can do this or at least see your attempts so we can correct the problem. You will need to finish all of these before you leave this island in a little less than a year. While I’m not certain what I’ll do if it appears you’re not likely to finish before the end, I am certain you won’t like what I have to say or possibly do. Are we clear on this?”

Ginny nodded and meekly said, “Yes.”

“Very good, there are a few more things outside.” He turned and left the house.

“Do not fret over his task, but do get it done or I’m sure you’ll be sorry. By the way,” Betty pointed at some more boxes, “I left supplies for your monthlies. Come.”

Ginny followed the woman out, trying to find her confidence again after the small scare.

“The chickens are used to being under the porch to be out of the weather. I suggest you build a coop for them as soon as you can,” Croaker said back to his normal casual manner. “I’ve left you a large box of nails for that and any other projects you want to build. If you need boards, you have the woods to harvest from and there are probably some trees that have already been felled.

“Oh, your well is over there,” he pointed and she could see a classic one with a rock wall and wooden top with a crank on the side.

“The path to the closest beach is over there.” He pointed at that too but Ginny couldn’t see any path.

“There is a ward that goes around the house about seventy yards out that will keep the animals inside. There are three pairs of rabbits loose; you’ll have to find them when you want one.

“Lastly, the island as a whole is very protected. Only Betty and I can get here, and you won’t be able to leave. A ship could sail by the edge of the island, which they’ll think is a shoal of rocks they don’t want to run aground on, and you could be standing on the beach and waving and they’d never see you.

“As I mentioned earlier, the wards here offer general protection from the weather, blunting it at least. So even a heavy gale will generate strong winds but not nearly as strong as they’ll be outside the wards. So short of a hurricane passing directly over the island you shouldn’t have to worry about danger from the weather.

“Any questions?” He looked at her with an expression that said he hoped not.

“Uh, just one.” Ginny felt like she had to ask this. “If you’re the only ones that can come here and I can’t leave except by the emergency Portkey that isn’t safe for me, what happens if both of you stop coming and my year runs out?”

Croaker didn’t look pleased while Betty snorted and then chuckled. “It’s unlikely both of us would die in the next year,” the woman said, “but if the unthinkable happens, there is one thing you can do. Do you remember the exact time you used the Time Turner?”

“About half after one, I think, or at least we arrived at the Ministry around one in the morning and I think it took about a half hour for us to find the prophecy and then the fighting,” she answered.

Betty nodded. “If we stop coming, then we are dead, although if something happens to one of us and not the other, it’s very likely that we’ll find a new backup person. But if the worst happens, watch your calendar and on the night you need to return, take the emergency portkey at a quarter before two and assuming you don’t hear any fighting, go lie somewhere out of the way and stun yourself to let yourself be found by the rescuers. Also, in my office where you’d arrive, you’ll find a box on my shelf that has ’GWC’ on it. Those are the clothes you arrived in. Change into them before you try to reinsert yourself into the timeline. I’ll leave a note for my hypothetical successor to leave the box there. Don’t bring anything back with you other than your wand.”

That…” Croaker said emphatically, “shall not be needed.”

“I should hope not,” Betty agreed, “but I thought it was a good question. Then again, if she tries when she shouldn’t, well, the Vow will correct her mistake.”

“It’s time; I have other things to do,” Croaker said and held out the metal ring.

“I’ll be back Tuesday evening for a few minutes. Good luck, Ginny.” Betty grabbed the ring and they were gone.

Ginny looked around again and this time the main thing she saw was how much work she had to do to survive. The animals could wait she thought, so she returned to the house.

At least Betty had done basic cleaning as there wasn’t a layer of dust on everything. The bathroom was simple but clean as well. Since she was here and she did have to go, she used the toilet and found that worked as advertised.

Food was important so she headed to the kitchen area and searched everywhere to see what she had and did find what she’d probably need. The stove looked older than the one at home, but she was able to make it work before she turned back it off.

There was nothing left for it but to start unpacking all of the boxes and putting things away, which also allowed her to see what she had. Food went on the wall of shelves like a pantry. She had a decent selection that would last her a month, or so she thought.

During a break, she looked out on the porch to see what was there and found the little plantings that were marked for what each was and was to be her garden. She’d have to find a place for that and do something to keep the animals out of it or she was sure the rabbits and goats would see it as food for them.

After a dinner of some soup and bread, she made her bed before she went back to unpacking. By the time she was exhausted and had to go to bed, she realized she’d unpacked and organized half of the boxes inside. It was going to take her at least two more days, she thought wearily.




(A/N: Her year starts here and runs through only the next chapter, so we’ll only see her on the island long enough to see her change a bit.)

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Author's Notes: Sorry about the delay, but I'm one of the ones that was caught in the big freeze down the middle of the US for the last week. We got above freezing today! :)


Chapter 3

Tuesday morning, she knew because the calendar on the wall said it was with the previous days being crossed off, and her ultimate final day eleven months in the future circled, Ginny cooked and ate breakfast slowly before she threw another log on the fire, wrapped herself in a blanket, and settled into the chair in front of it … relaxing and trying to make herself comfortable as best she could.

Looking around now, the house was settle and organized. Through the front windows she could see that the porch area was reasonably clear now, though her garden still needed to be planted. She was going to take it easy today just because she could.

Eventually she got up long enough to get her notebook and pen before she resettled herself in front of the warm fire. She crossed a few items off of her to-do list and studied it. A fence for her garden would be the first thing she started on tomorrow when she felt better.

Flipping to the back of the notebook, she looked through the notes she’d made as she’d rationalized why this was a good idea.

Her extra or ‘lost’ year was going to be hard to explain in a few cases, like with her parents and saying she’d studied enough over this year to take her OWLs two weeks after she returned. Explaining to Luna was going be hard too, as her friend was very observant and intelligent; yes, it was going to be hard to explain to Luna without breaking her Vow.

Her brother, Ron, was going to be another negative as she was sure he wouldn’t like her joining him in his classes. Hermione would also be difficult, suspicious and almost as hard to deal with as Luna. Fortunately the twins wouldn’t care.

Then there was the last one…Harry. She’d always felt he was smarter than he acted, but she felt he wouldn’t give her a hard time like Ron and Hermione would. Despite the negatives she’d just listed to herself, the positives with Harry balanced them out and possibly exceeded them, or so she hoped.

Hermione had mentioned Harry had asked about her a few times, but nothing had happened between them in her third year. This last year though, they’d spent some time together and developed a friendship. What they really lacked to possibly do more was time together.

Ginny sighed as she looked into the fire and continued to think. Perhaps something -- all right she was going to say it, a relationship -- with Harry wouldn’t work out and it’d only be a short fling. Yet, how did you know who was ‘the right one’ unless you tried?

So he’d asked about her and she really was still interested in him. She thought he was cute. He was fairly easy going, yet he also had an intense streak in him too -- as she’d seen in the Department of Mysteries or when he played Quidditch. They each liked Quidditch and flying she thought with a smile.

The smile dropped as she also considered that of all of her friends, only Harry truly understood her fight in her first year, and she understood his fight now. They’d each been touched by Tom Riddle personally. She shuddered over that as well as her memory of when she’d told Betty about the Chamber of Secrets and Tom Riddle, whom she was sure had told Croaker.

Shaking herself, she moved to happier thoughts as she thought that she and Harry shared a similar sense of humor. He was also strong magically and a leader, two traits she liked in a boy.

Oh, she could probably return and date someone like … Dean, who was nice guy and she’d probably enjoy it for a short time, but he didn’t really compare to Harry.

So if she could learn the fifth year material on her own and pass enough OWLs, she could move into the sixth year with Harry, spend more time with him, and see what happened. Perhaps she’d get lucky she thought with a grin.

– – –

As Ginny was eating a simple dinner, still in her pyjamas and wrapped in a blanket at the table, the door opened and Betty walked in.

“It’s looking good,” the woman said before she took a good look at the new resident. “That time of the month?”

Ginny nodded. “Yeah, the first day isn’t good, I can normally handle the rest fine. I thought I deserved a rest day after all the other work too.”

Betty did something halfway between a nod and a bob. “I can understand. Still, I’m impressed with what you’ve accomplished. Otherwise, how are you?”

“Fine so far,” Ginny answered. “I don’t think I’ve ever thought about how much work my mum does in planning meals and cooking.”

Betty laughed before she pulled a small bag out of her pocket and put it on the table. “A few things you can’t easily get. Any problems before I leave?”

Ginny put her spoon down and went over to get her notebook. Looking over her list she looked up. “One. Can you get me some fencing? I need to keep the animals out of the garden or I won’t get to eat anything out of it.”

Betty laughed again. “You’re probably right, but fencing is out. I can do something better though. Grab your cloak and come outside for a few minutes.”

Ginny did as she was told and hoped her slippers would keep her feet warm enough. It was cool despite it being June and it was sprinkling again, as it’d done for much of the day. “Does it ever stop raining here?” She stood at the edge of the porch where it was still dry.

“Sometimes,” Betty grinned. “I think I said it rains more than I’d like for a holiday spot, but that will help your garden.” She conjured four sticks and walked out into the grassy area, the light rain running off her cloak like water did off of a duck. “How about here?”

“I guess. Maybe five by twenty?” Ginny guessed.

“Sure,” Betty said and put a stick in the ground and walked it off, putting the other sticks in the corners.

Ginny had thought feet while Betty was doing yards. She knew she didn’t have that many plantings, but Ginny remembered she’d found a box with envelopes of seeds.

Betty did a spell and the grass stripped off the top of the ground, where she directed it to a pile among the goats, who moved to it and started eating. Four flat rocks the size of her hand were summoned and then engraved with runes before being placed at the four corners of the now bare patch. One final bit of spell work before the woman walked back over and stood under the porch too.

“Algernon would be disappointed in my helping you like that as he feels you need to earn your way, or some rubbish like that,” she said with a shrug. “I understand, but there’s no need to punish you that much either. You’re still going to have a lot of work to turn that into a real garden, but now I’ve warded it to keep out animals larger than bees, which is better than a fence.”

“Brilliant! That’s impressive and I wished my family did that for our garden!” Ginny gushed. “Thank you!”

“You’re welcome. I’ll see you Friday.” Betty disappeared in a quiet pop from the Portkey.

That task accomplished made her feel better. Deciding on a test, Ginny kicked her slippers off and stood on very cool ground. Grabbing a single planting, she strode across the wet and even cooler feeling grass and put the little potted plant in the garden area. Hurrying over to the goats she untied them before racing back to the porch where she noticed the chicken were huddling or nesting in a few empty boxes she’d left there.

Snagging her slippers, she hurried into the house and stood on the small hearth to warm her feet. Yes, Betty had given her a wonderful gift. If the plant hadn’t been eaten by morning, she’d try to plant tomorrow.

Opening the bag Betty had left for her, Ginny pulled out a bar of chocolate, which made her mouth water. There were also a few apples. In the very bottom were two paperback books with the same shirtless hunk of a guy on them, though each with a different woman which had their dress strap off one shoulder.

A warming charm on her dinner allowed her to finish that. She considered that she might need to do a wash tomorrow too as she didn’t have that many clothes. Still, life didn’t seem so bad and she could do magic here to make it easier.




Her plant had survived and now her garden was planted, both the little plantings in the little pots and the seeds.

Ginny had also found what might have been a path and with a number of Cutting charms, made her way to a narrow beach of course sand and freezing water. She wouldn’t be swimming in that or she’d freeze her bum off … and possibly other body parts as well.

She’d tried fishing with a pole she’d found on the porch and given up after ten minutes. She wasn’t in a patient mood. A quick Summoning charm and a fish the length of her forearm was flying at her. She let it land on the beach and watched it until it quit flopping around before she picked it up by the tail and walked back to the house.

Gutting and skinning it in the sink was harder than she had thought it would be, but she made it. Betty had seen to it that she had a number of spices, so she added a few that she thought might work and put it in the oven to bake while she cleaned up her messes and herself.

Ginny had never been a fan of fish. She didn’t hate it, she just preferred other foods more. The fresh fish wasn’t bad, but it didn’t change her opinion of it either. It’d be something for variety and to extend her other food -- only, she thought.

Tomorrow’s chores were a chicken coop and then try to find where the rabbits where living. She hadn’t been able to find the chicken’s eggs, but a coop would help with that.

She’d milked the female goat today and she thought the kid would be old enough to eat in a few months. Perhaps the two older ones would produce more young.

For the first time in her life, Ginny was glad she was raised in a home of modest means where she’d had to work around the house doing things for herself and the family. This was hard, but she knew just enough she was confident she’d make it. If she’d been raised in some posh house waited on hand-and-foot by house-elves, she was sure she wouldn’t survive.




Ginny was reading about Charms, making notes and trying the spells, when Croaker arrived for his first visit since bringing her here. He was accompanied by Betty as usual. She watched them through the front windows looking around outside for a moment before they came in.

“Good afternoon, Ginny. I hope you’re doing well?” he asked in a friendly manner.

“Hello Algernon,” she returned. “I am, thank you. It’s nice to see you here. Hello again, Betty.”

Each nodded to her. “You’ve done well,” Croaker complimented her. “I see the garden is taking off. I like the chicken coop. Did you have any trouble with that?”

Ginny snorted. “Yes, learning how to cut boards from trees was a pain, but as you can see I figured it out. I transfigured a stick into a hammer since I can’t conjure yet.”

“A perfectly acceptable substitute,” he allowed as he looked around and spotted a make-shift table from a few boards on top of his boxes. Three glass balls were on top. “Jolly good on the attempt. I can tell which was your first.” He picked up the best looking one and examined it closely. “Nearly there, I think. Come show me how you made them.”

Ginny walked over and demonstrated as she created a fourth orb.

“Very close,” Croaker said with a nod. “Add a little twist to the end of the spell.” After another try that did look a little better, Croaker tested it. “Yes, very good, just like that.” He vanished the previous four attempts.

Walking over he looked at her shelves of food. “Your stock seems to be holding up well considering your garden isn’t producing yet.”

“I’ve been trying to eat a little more fish to compensate, but I’ll be glad when I can eat less of it. I’m still not fond of it,” she explained.

He chuckled. “Yes, having to make do can give you a new perspective. Nevertheless, good job. How are your … classes?”

“Not too bad for the fifth year. I wished I had my notes from my previous classes,” she said with a sigh. “As is, I’ll have to review the books. Thank you including all of the years.”

“You’re welcome and you can thank Betty for thinking of that,” he gave a nod of acknowledgement to the woman and Ginny beamed at her. “We’d recently received a load of books in and we found those in the midst. We were about to sell them, but we can do that after you’re done.”

Croaker looked around again before looking at her. “I’m pleased this is working out. I know I can come across as a hard-nosed bastard at times, because I have to be that way in my job, but I prefer it when everything works as it should and I don’t have to worry about it and can just be pleasant. Carry on.” He gave her a smile and slowly walked out.

“Be impressed you heard that,” Betty said in amazement before she walked out.

Ginny smiled to herself before she got herself a glass of water. Stepping outside, she walked over to her garden and saw that it was going well, the plantings were blooming and the sprouted seeds were coming up. She eyed one of the roosters that crowed a little more often than she liked and thought he might make up a few dinners as soon as some chicks were hatched.

Going back she found a box to the side of her door that she was sure hadn’t been there before. Opening it, she found six bottles of Butterbeer. She smiled and took them inside, wondering who she had to thank for that. This didn’t seem like a Betty present but she had trouble seeing Croaker giving her this too. Perhaps it was a reward for starting on the orbs she considered.




“…Happy Birthday to me,” Ginny finished the song over her breakfast. She did her best not to be too depressed she was alone on her fifteenth birthday. She finished her breakfast before a few cleaning spells took care of the dishes.

As it was her birthday, she gave herself the day off and stepped outside to go on a hike. To her surprise, there were two brightly colored boxes waiting for her. “Thank you, Betty,” she said to no one while she promised herself to thank the woman later.

Taking them inside, she found a small cake in one box and three sets of clothes in the other, each one size larger than she normally wore, which she would admit were getting a little tight in places. The woman must have noticed that too. They were colorful and pretty too, she thought with a smile.

She changed out of her old jeans and into a new pair of jeans. Yes, these fit better. Perhaps if it’d been just her and Harry on the island, she’d have continued to wear the tighter jeans she thought with a wicked smile.

Buoyed by the presents, she walked outside again and went on her walk. Along the way, she caught sight of at least five little bunny noses who were so very cute she had to grin to herself. That meant that she could start having rabbit for dinner occasionally and have that much less fish.

In a way, it was too bad she wasn’t fond of fish as she had a whole sea of them so she could eat as much of it as she liked. Oh well, she liked chicken and enjoyed rabbit when her mum fixed it.

As she thought about it, Britney looked pregnant (“Way to go, Billy!” she thought), so perhaps she should have goat for dinner tonight for the special occasion. She’d never named the kid goat on purpose. In fact, the youngest goat would give her enough meat she’d probably need to freeze some of it for later.

Walking through the woods, she picked up some fallen branches to take back for the fireplace. It hadn’t taken her too long to realize that if she kept the fire going all the time, which she tended to, then it was going to take a mountain of firewood to keep that going. She’d quickly learned to transfigure trash and other unneeded items into small logs to burn so she didn’t have to go hunting firewood on a daily basis. Still, she was out today so no reason not to bring some home and she’d enlarge these before throwing them in.

That evening, she feasted on goat and the first potatoes that were out of her garden; she also drank her next-to-last Butterbeer. Half of the small red velvet chocolate cake was dessert. Yes, she really needed to thank Betty for the cake.

She was also close to finishing the first box of orbs. She wondered if she’d get more Butterbeer when she did that.




Ginny eagerly watched Betty to see what she thought of her Christmas present. The woman had come to spend Christmas Day with her. While Ginny was ecstatic for the company, she was sad the woman wasn’t married and had no close family, just extended family.

“Thank you, Ginny, they’re beautiful,” Betty said as she looked at the necklace made of perfect shells that had been highly polished to gleam in the light; they were strung together by a thin leather cord that had been ‘donated’ by the kid goat. “Oh, matching earrings too. Lovely.”

“I’m glad you like them,” Ginny said with relief. “I wasn’t sure what to get you and I don’t really have any stores here,” she said mischievously

That caused Betty to laugh. “No, you don’t, but well done with what you have.” She looked at the girl for a moment. “I’m really very impressed with how well you’ve done here. Algernon won’t say it, but he is too.”

“Is that why he leaves little gifts from time to time too?” Ginny asked shyly, having always wanted to ask this.

Betty grinned at her. “Yes, it’s also his reward for completing another box of orbs to encourage you to do more. He also gave me a Christmas dinner to bring along.”

“I thought you were doing that when you told me not to cook one because you were coming,” said Ginny.

“I had planned to do it, but Algernon gave it to me. I think it’s his Christmas present as you should have leftovers for a few days.”

Ginny beamed. “I know, I think I’ll be having ham for a week but it’ll be great.”

“I hope you like this,” Betty said as she handed her a flat box. “I had trouble figuring out what to give you since you can’t take anything back with you.”

Wondering what it could be, Ginny opened her present and was surprised that it was a stack of paper (thinner than parchment) with writing all over it. Looking closely, she realized it was notes on first year Transfiguration, and under that was second year, and… She looked up. “Is this really…” Ginny had trouble finishing the sentence she was so moved.

Betty smiled. “I have a friend whose Ravenclaw son just finished Hogwarts and I made a copy of his notes for the first five years, what he used to study for his OWLs.”

Ginny dropped the notes on the couch beside her and lunched herself at the woman and gave her a tight hug. “Thank you so very, very much. It’s the perfect gift.” She had to work to hold in her tears of joy.

Rubbing her back, Betty said, “I’m glad it worked out; I wasn’t sure what you’d think.”

“I’m really happy as it will make revising so much easier,” Ginny exclaimed as she pulled back. “I can do this. I will pass my OWLs,” she ended with determination.

“I’ve never had a doubt,” Betty smiled. “Now, let’s go start lunch as the ham will take a few hours to fully heat. Once that’s done, perhaps this would be a good time for me to tutor you in whatever is giving you trouble as I’ll be here all day.”

“That would be lovely, both you being here and the help. Maybe I should write a thank you note to Algernon for the ham,” Ginny said, pleased with how the day was going and how well she and Betty were getting along now.

“I’m sure he’d like that,” Betty said as she walked to the kitchen area and opened the large box she’d brought with her. She was sure Ginny would like a few of the extra things she’d brought with her, include a few new romance novels. The woman almost giggled over that.




It was officially 1996 -- again. Ginny sighed and wished someone was here with her, but she knew Betty had a New Year’s Eve party to attend tonight.

Honestly, she’d have preferred Harry to be here with her. Just the two of them, alone, all night long. She shook her head as she needed to get those hormonal thoughts out of her mind for the moment. One day they’d kiss, she was sure of it. After that, well, she’d just have to hope it worked out between them.




Ginny concentrated carefully and conjured a shovel. Happy that had worked again, she put her wand away and started working on her garden in the crisp morning air. She wouldn’t work here long this morning, just enough to get turn the dirt over and maybe kill a few bugs. It wouldn’t be time to plant for another couple of weeks, but she had good weather today including almost no wind which was unusual.

After that, she took a walk to check her traps. She was pleased that she’d caught two rabbits as that meant they were coming out of their winter hiding. She’d not eaten rabbit in the last month because of the cold of winter, so this would be a pleasant change from all the chicken along with the occasional fish she’d been eating.

Again taking care, she conjured simple little box cages and transferred the animals over before resetting the traps. There was a decent rabbit population so she didn’t fear eating them all. She was also pleased her conjuring was working fairly well now as it made life easier.




It was time for Potions, both reading and practicing as Betty had brought her a student kit plus a few extra ingredients. As Ginny opened her book on fifth year Potions again to revise once more, she considered with amusement that the subject was like fish: she didn’t hate it, but she wasn’t fond of it either.

One real positive of this year was that she’d get to skip a year with Snape. She was also undecided about if she’d continue the class into the NEWT level. Sure, it might be useful, but it just wasn’t all that fun or interesting to her.

Turning a page, she skimmed it for information and a phrase caught her eye. She was sure she’d read it before, but it hit her completely differently this time.

Picking up her wand and putting it in a pocket before she grabbed a light cloak to protect her from the wind, Ginny walked out of the house and to the beach. With a small smile at the odd thought, she thought she’d miss this place when she left as she liked to walk the beach and think.

Looking over the waves glimmering under a rare day of sunshine, she considered what she’d read in the book again. She also considered what she’d be returning to in a month. She’d used the Time Turner to have more time to help Harry. That had not worked out like she’d planned, and yet there was a way to help Harry, to help everyone really.

The question was could she do it? Well, sure, she could … do it, it was physically possible and very probable she would succeed with some care. But … could, as in was she able … to do it?

She turned and stared into the wind so her long hair wasn’t in her face but blowing behind her. Ahead, a rabbit was on the edge of the woods looking around. Without much thought, she pulled her wand out and summoned the rabbit, stunning it in the air as it approached her -- a move she’d perfected over time. Grabbing the unconscious rabbit as it came to her like a thrown Quaffle, she held it by the fur of its back in one hand downwind of her while she cut the head off and let the blood drain out so she could use it for dinner in a nice stew.

As she watched the blood drain, she knew she had her answer. Some things weren’t pretty, but they had to be done. That thought wasn’t just about her either, Harry had already set the example.




Ginny looked at her calendar, seeing Jun 24 was circled and it was tomorrow. Betty had been by on Friday, two days ago, and told her the plan. Ginny was so relieved her fear of being completely alone on this day hadn’t happened.

She looked around with an unexpected fondness. It had been a lot of hard work for the last year, but she had not only survived but thrived in several ways she hadn’t expected. Perhaps the biggest change was that she understood herself and her place so much better. Her self-image was better, she understood her family and her place in her family better, plus life in general as she’d had a lot of time to think. Sure, there were so very many things she didn’t know, but she had changed and for the better she thought. Simply, she had grown up a lot by living alone and having to be responsible for herself.

Honestly, that was going to be a problem she hadn’t anticipated at the beginning. She was going to have to hide herself for a bit, let the change out slowly. She could do that though; pulling pranks had helped her learn to show what others expected to see.

The house was fairly barren now, once again with boxes stacked but with far fewer boxes. She’d eaten almost all of the food in her pantry so there would be less to deal with. The chickens and rabbits had benefited from that, as had the last youngest goat -- although she was still a little young to eat.

The boxes for the orbs were long gone, finished two months ago to Algernon’s pleasure. She had no idea where he was storing them, but that was his problem.

Her things were reduced to two boxes: one for things she had no more use for like books and extra clothes, and the other box for things she’d use for the next day only. Then there was the small item in her pocket which would stay with her.

It was nearly eight when they arrived, but Ginny understood. It was a Monday evening and they’d needed to get everyone else out the department.

“Ready?” Croaker asked.

Ginny donned the cloak Betty gave her, the one with the Obscuring charms on it, then she grabbed the only box she’d need. “I am. That box,” she pointed, “contains clothes and everything else that’s left that can be connected with me … other than what’s in this box.” She indicated what was in her arms. “I burned my notebook last night.”

Croaker shot a spell at the dying embers in the fireplace and fully put the last of the fire out.

Betty grabbed the other box and they left via Portkey. Ginny was soon back in the room she’d woken up in nearly a year ago. It looked just the same.

“Make yourself comfortable,” Croaker told her. “We’ll be back tomorrow to join you for dinner and then stay here until it’s time to put you back. They won’t be able to get into this room.”

“How will we be sure it’s the right time?” Ginny asked, ready for this to be over with.

“I have a monitor they shouldn’t be able to detect placed so we can watch, think of it like your window there,” the man said with a grin. “Have a pleasant evening.”

Ginny watched them leave and then settled in. She had no more books from Betty; she’d finished the last a couple of days ago. Her notebook was gone. Opening her box, she pulled out the one thing she had to read: her Christmas present of the OWL notes. She sort of read them yet again, but she was really thinking more about tomorrow and after.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4

Author's Notes: Bonus chapter since I had extra time recently. :)


Chapter 4

Croaker and Betty joined Ginny a little after six with dinner. A conjured table and chairs would have to do. Betty also had a box that had ‘GWC’ on the side.

Croaker had also done something to her window and the view changed to show a corridor, one she remembered from a year ago. It was all quiet so far.

They ate mostly in companionable silence, although Ginny would occasionally ask a question she thought might be on her OWLs and they’d answer, although it was usually Betty.

It was Betty who noticed the change first. “There,” she said and pointed at the “window”. A small group in dark cloaks but without masks crept through the corridor.

“Of course, Rookwood is how they got in,” Croaker said quietly and intently. “I think he and I will be having a conversation later tonight.”

“Which one is Rookwood?” asked Ginny. “The one in front?”

“Yes.”

“I don’t remember what happened to him,” Ginny said.

“I have to let it play through to when you used the Time Turner. After that,” Croaker smiled almost evilly, “things can change.”

It was another two’ish hours before they saw Harry and his group, including a younger looking Ginny, on the monitor. Betty studied the image closely.

“You look older now, but still close enough most shouldn’t notice,” Betty said before she reached for the box and handed it to Ginny. “Go change in your bathroom area; it’ll be time soon.”

Ginny nodded and took the box to the bathroom and closed the curtain. She changed or tried too. “These slacks don’t fit too well now,” she complained.

Betty chuckled and said, “Hand them out and try on your blouse.”

Ginny thrust the slacks through a crack in the curtain. “It’s a little small too.” She handed the blouse out and her slacks were handed back.

“I’ve transfigured them larger instead of using the Enlarging charm,” Betty told her. “That should let them stay that size long enough for you get back to school. You’ll have to figure something out then, maybe borrow something from an older girl.” She handed the blouse back in too.

“All right,” Ginny answered, not sure how to handle this wrinkle. She dressed quickly and then pulled her special item out of the pocket of her other slacks and transferred it to her current slacks. Pulling her shirt down she didn’t see any bulge and smiled.

Leaving the bathroom area, Betty looked her over and then held up a photo. “Close. Sorry dearie, but your hair needs to lose nearly six inches.”

Ginny grabbed it and pulled it around to look at the end. “Really? I like it like this.”

“I’m sorry,” Betty said before she conjured some scissors and then handed the photo to Ginny.

Looking at the photo of herself from a year ago as she was lying on the bed she’d eventually wake up in, she could see what the woman meant, but she still hated to lose the length. She knew Harry liked girls with long hair. She sighed and promised herself she’d grow it out to her waist again.

Betty snipped the hair off and then vanished it.

They all watched the action, some of which caused Ginny to wince. She also realized, now that she could watch more objectively, that the Death Eaters hadn’t really tried all that hard to win, at least most of the time. She did remember the spell Hermione had been hit with though; Dolohov had not been playing nice then. Well, maybe she could change some of that.

Eventually, the battle seemed to move on and the corridor was quiet again. Ginny noticed it was about one-forty by her clock.

“Betty,” Ginny said quietly.

“Yes.”

“Thank you for everything this past year. I’ve learned so much and … I wished you were my aunt or something,” Ginny told her, meaning every word.

The woman stretched out an arm and gave the girl a hug from the side. “It’s been a good year for me too and you’re a big part of that. I’d be happy to be your aunt; but I’m sorry, I’m not related to you at all.”

Ginny nodded. “Thank you, Mr Croaker, for allowing this year. I’m really sorry about using the Time Turner, but I think it’s been good for me.”

He spared her a glance and gave her a smile. “I’m glad you see it that way. I do hope you’ve learned a valuable lesson though about picking up things you know nothing about.”

“I have.”

“Then I suppose it has worked out. Look,” he pointed at the monitor and they all saw Ginny crawling by herself.

Croaker did a spell and the white line near the door disappeared. “Let’s go and be absolutely quiet.” He opened the door and led them out.

As they neared an intersection Croaker held them there until they all saw a bright flash of light from their left. “You’re gone,” Croaker whispered, “hurry.”

Walking quickly around the corner and down a short corridor, Ginny saw they were in the Time Room.

“I’ll take these now.” Croaker summoned the remaining Time Turners and put them in his pocket.

“On the floor on your stomach,” Betty commanded her. “Do you remember your stories you’ve worked up?”

“Yes,” Ginny told her as she lay down.

“Good. I’m sorry to have do this,” Betty told her.

Ginny started to ask what when a flash of red light came and she slumped.

– – –

“I really don’t like this, but we must be consistent,” Betty said before she did one more spell.

“It had to be done to preserve the timeline,” Croaker agreed. “Now, let find Rookwood. I’d like a conversation with him. I think he might be this way.” They head off on their hunt.

– – –

Ginny woke and found herself alone. Betty had stunned her. She mostly understood. Moving to get up sent fire up her leg. “Crap!” she cursed quietly at the pain in her ankle. “Really Betty, did you have to?” She cast a numbing charm and a localized petrification on her ankle. That would help for a little while. She also conjured a cane.

Getting to her feet, she put the cane in her left hand and held her wand out. Time for her own little hunt.

The second room she visited, she found Dolohov and another who had a baby head but seemed to have knocked himself out. Moving over, she found the two were both still alive. Reaching into her pocket, she pull out a small bottle and thanked Merlin Betty hadn’t found it and confiscated it.

Taking the top off, she held it over the man’s mouth, pulled his jaw open, and squeezed the little bulb on top to squirt out a dose. Because it was Dolohov, she gave him a second dose. She had twenty doses in the bottle. The other Death Eater received a single dose. Her work done here she returned to her search, doing her best not to think about what she was really doing.

Two rooms later, she still hadn’t found her friends yet, but she found the remaining parts of the Order and about half of the Death Eaters who were lying on the floor and most were tied up.

Ginny managed to hobble down the stairs into a room with a stone arch and a veil hanging from the arch. As she reached the floor, it was Remus Lupin who saw her first -- all of the others were sitting or lying and trying to catch their breath, most were waiting for medical help. None of those seemed to be aware she was even there.

“Ginny, are you all right? Are you hurt?” Lupin asked her softly.

“My ankle has been better but I’ll live. Where are the rest?” she asked, looking over the six Death Eaters.

“Don’t know,” he answered. “You should sit down; help will be here soon.”

“All right, but I want to make sure they’re not going anywhere. We had to fight a few of them multiple times.” Now she hid the small bottle in her left hand as she leaned over whoever was in front of her and checked the ropes around this one.

“He’s not going anywhere,” Lupin told her.

She moved so her body was between the Death Eaters’s head and Lupin and gave this one a dose. “I think you’re right, but it makes me feel better to check.”

“You sound like Moody,” Lupin told her with a hint of humor as she crawled on her knees to the next one.

“Where is he?” she asked as checked this one too, also checking none of the others were looking at what she was doing. Moody could probably see what she was doing with his magical eye, though she wonder if he’d stop her or not. This one received a dose.

“Upstairs getting help. Don’t know how he managed to be able to walk away,” he said.

Ginny moved on. This one had a cut so she pushed the end of the bottle into the wound and squeezed a dose in since that was easy to hide. That was three and there were three more.

She crawled over and found this one wasn’t tied up. She put a dose in his mouth and then conjured ropes. “You forgot one,” she told him as he sat against the wall behind her.

“He looked too battered to go anywhere.”

“I still don’t trust him,” as she crawled over to the fifth. Another dose in a cut.

Finally the last and the one she’d purposefully saved for last. Lucius Malfoy was petrified and watching her. She whispered so only he could hear her. “You’re going to pay for giving me that diary, you bastard.” To avoid issues, she stunned him before she used her wand to make a small cut on his arm and pushed the end of the bottle in the cut.

“Ginny, he’s not going anywhere,” Lupin said as he got up and shuffled over.

Ginny squeezed the bottle a total of three times to make sure it took. Sliding the bottle back into a pocket as she stood, she moved a little further away so Lupin couldn’t stop her. Rising shakily to her feet, she balanced herself carefully with her cane before she stomped hard, twice before he got there.

“Damn it, Ginny, you can’t injure him more now that’s he captured; it isn’t right. And to kick him between the legs, at least he can’t even feel it now. Come sit.” Lupin pulled her over to the nearest wall. “Why did you do it?”

“You don’t know what he did to me?” Ginny growled, causing the man to look at her sharply for making a noise like that. At his blank look, she added, “He was the one who gave me the diary in my first year that possessed me. I had Tom Riddle … You-Know-Who … in my head for most of a year because of him.”

“I’m really sorry,” he told her. “I understand your anger but I can’t let you do that again or you might get into trouble.”

“It still felt good to get that out of my system though and I bet he feels it when he wakes.” She looked at him and they both started to chuckle then laugh.

Lupin stopped first. “Ginny, are you good friends with Harry?”

“Good enough, I suppose,” she replied while hoping to improve that.

“Help him as much as you can then. He, uh…” Lupin struggled and then stopped.

“What? Tell me he’s still alive?” she asked almost in a panic. “I saw him jump over me not long ago and he was alive then.”

“Sirius was killed tonight,” Lupin said quietly as he looked across the room at the arch, causing Ginny to look at him in horror. “Bella hit him with a spell and he flew backward into the Veil, the Veil of Death.”

Ginny looked at the arch of stone a little differently now and even felt like she wanted to move further from it. “Oh no,” she finally got out in a hoarse whisper.

“He’s going to need his friends,” Lupin said.

Ginny sat there in shock for a couple of minutes, which was just long enough for help to arrive in the form of Aurors and a healer to do triage.

It seemed to take forever, but Ginny was finally helped up when it was found she could walk even if it was slowly. Heading up, she found a bathroom and went inside. Quickly, she pulled the bottle of poison with its squeeze applicator and vanished it all before washing her hands and then leaving the room to head up to where the rest of the healers where. Eventually, she was sent back to Hogwarts by the Floo and Madam Pomfrey fixed her up, as she’d done for Luna and Neville.

“Where’s Ron and Hermione and Harry?” she asked.

“Your brother and Ms Granger are at St Mungo’s,” the medi-witch answered. “As for Mr Potter, I don’t know but I’d guess he’s with the Headmaster. Make yourself comfortable dear, you’ll be here overnight.”

Ginny nodded and tried to do as she was told. However, she had trouble getting to sleep despite how late it was and how tired she was. Thoughts of wondering if Harry was all right and what she’d done to eight Death Eaters as well as continually justifying her actions to herself kept her awake for some time.




Ginny woke up late the next day, at least late for what she was used to during the last year. Looking around she saw Neville eating a brunch and Luna just sitting on her bed staring into space. She was still a little tired but determined to not go back to sleep.

“Are you two all right?” she asked.

Neville stop eating. “I’m good now. Pomfrey fixed my nose before I went to sleep. How are you?”

Ginny wiggled her foot and found her ankle was just fine, though maybe a little stiff. “I’m good now. Luna?”

The blonde turned slowly to look at her. “I’m perfectly fine, thank you for asking.”

The conversation had apparently been enough to attract the attention of the school nurse as she came bustling out. “Oh good, you’re awake. How are you feeling Ms Lovegood and Ms Weasley?”

Each replied they were good and a quick diagnostic spell confirmed that before she left as quickly as she’d come with a hurried, “I’ll send for breakfast” over her shoulder.

Ginny had no idea why the woman was in such a hurry but it was obvious she felt she was needed elsewhere. Dreading this moment yet not wanting to put it off, Ginny arose, found a gown at the end of her bed, put it on, and then went over and sat on Luna’s bed very close to her. “Can we talk?” she asked quietly.

Luna cocked her head and looked at her. Just as quietly she said, “You’ve changed.” Reaching up she put a hand on Ginny’s forehead, which shocked the redhead. “No,” the blonde said as she pulled her hand back, “it’s not from the Heliopaths.”

Ginny blinked and then did her best to ignore that statement and instead focused on her planned conversation. “Luna, I really can’t tell you so please don’t ask.”

“You’re not allowed to, all right,” Luna said getting straight to the point in her unusual way and with acceptance.

That made Ginny a little happier. “Listen, they give the OWLs at the Ministry in two weeks for those who don’t go to Hogwarts. Have you ever considered taking them early to skip a grade? I’ve been thinking about it and preparing, but I’d like you to join me if you feel you can do it. You’re a Ravenclaw and so smart, so if anyone could do it I know it’d be you. But if you’re not ready, then you shouldn’t.” She stopped there, aware she was starting to ramble a little.

Luna blink at her for a moment. “It’s strange. I received a letter a little after Christmas that wasn’t signed. It suggested I study for the OWLs and maybe take them early. I mentioned that to you and you scoffed and yet here you are asking me.”

Ginny stared blankly trying to remember what would have been a year and half ago for her. Slowly the conversation on taking their OWLs early returned and she felt bad for not remembering. Ginny looked down for a moment. “It was too much at the time and I didn’t think you were serious; I’m sorry.” She hated to do this but she was going to have to stretch the truth. “Maybe you influenced me anyway without me realizing it.”

Luna looked at her carefully. “I don’t think that’s the whole truth, but I sense you can’t tell me this either. I’d be concerned about Wrackspurts but I don’t see those about you. I suppose the real question is if you can take them.”

“I’m ready now. The problem is,” Ginny sighed, “I haven’t asked my parents yet. I think Dad will let me so I plan to ask him.”

Luna nodded. “I’ve already asked Daddy and he’s said yes. He tried to sign me up and found that my name along with yours is already on the list. Isn’t that strange?”

“Yes,” Ginny agreed with a smile, “but convenient.”

“I suppose.”

Looking around, she noticed that their breakfasts were waiting on them, being delivered by a silent house-elf she imagined. She also saw that Neville had finished eating and was doing a poor job of acting like he wasn’t trying to listen in.

“Neville, you won’t say anything, will you?” asked Ginny. “I want it to be a surprise.”

The boy turned slowly and looked at them. “You don’t know what you’re getting into. They’re hard.”

“Neville, you’re my friend,” Ginny said as she turned to face him and give him her full attention, “but not a word to anyone or my Bat-Boogey hex will be least thing I do.”

He nodded vigorously.

As the trays were identical, Ginny grabbed one and handed it to Luna before taking one for herself. “Let’s eat and then go since we’re all feeling fine.”

“All right,” Luna answered airily before she started to eat.

Neville just looked at her, a little fear showing, amusing Ginny. It was just like when she had to deal with Ron sometimes.

Madam Pomfrey was still gone when they finished breakfast so the two girls changed into their normal clothes before the three left without being stopped.

Ginny gave Luna a hug when they parted and then she and Neville continued on to Gryffindor Tower.

“You can be scary at times,” Neville said quietly as they walked.

Ginny smiled again. “I have six brothers so I like to think I’ve learn a thing or two about dealing with boys.”

It was quiet for a long moment before Neville added, “I pity your first serious boyfriend.”

A laugh escaped Ginny, she couldn’t help it. Michael had never been serious, but a serious boyfriend? “He’ll do just fine if he wants to or he wouldn’t be a serious boyfriend.”

“You’ve changed,” he told her as the approached the Tower.

“Last night changed a lot of things,” she said, her standard answer for a lot of question she knew she’d receive over the coming weeks.

After a shower to clean up, Ginny returned to the common room and walked over to Neville. “Is Harry upstairs?”

“Yes, but go easy on him. He looks like crap and he’s moody.”

Ginny nodded. “He has a really good reason for that.”

As she left for the boys’ staircase, she heard Neville say, “I really don’t think you want to go.” She didn’t respond and kept going. This was going to be either the hardest or easiest conversation for the next two weeks. Perhaps Luck was smiling on her and it’d be easy for the conversation with Luna had been easier than expected.

Ginny pushed open the door to the fifth year boys room since it was partially open and blinked. There was Harry in only a towel walking out of the bathroom.

“Wow,” she said as coolly as she could manage given the circumstance that made her feel warm, “I could sell tickets for this but I get a free show.”

He blushed but returned, “Do you mind giving a bloke a little privacy? It’s not like I can walk in on you.”

“I don’t think I’d mind,” she smirked and watched his previous blush deepen, “but I understand your point. We need to talk about a few things, but I’ll wait.”

She reached for the doorknob but stopped when he said a little demandingly, “What?” His normal disposition was not present, showing Neville’s comment to be true.

“Several things,” she repeated and closed the door before taking a seat on nearest step. Maybe this wasn’t going to be so easy, but she was going to do it because she’d promised herself in addition to her promise to Lupin.

Lee Jordan came down the steps from above and saw her, stopped, and grinned. “There’s rumors going around the school about the six of you. Also, Umbridge is gone; so good job on that. Then there’s you sitting here and I know Ron’s not in there. Are tickets available because I can sense something fun coming?”

She’d always like Lee because he fit in so well with her twin brothers. She smiled at him. “Hard to say on that and I don’t have any tickets, but you’re welcome on Umbridge though that was really Harry’s and Hermione’s doing.”

“I’ll thank them later.” The door opened and there stood Harry. “It’s about time,” Lee said before he continued down the stairs.

Harry watched Lee Jordan leave and then looked at Ginny. “What was that about?”

“You know Lee,” she shrugged and stood, “friendly banter.”

“I’m not going to like this conversation, am I?” he asked with a frown.

“That’s hard to say, but it should probably be private,” she answered. She watched him debate it with himself and she thought he’d probably determined he wasn’t going to be able to get out of this, which was true if she could help it.

“Let’s go then, I need to be outside.” He started down the stairs and she followed.

“It seemed to be pleasant when I walked by the window in our dorm room,” she replied easily as she considered what she was going to say.

Harry walked thru the common room with barely a pause, garnering looks from everyone who was there. She caught a few looking at her as she followed closely behind Harry. Once they were out of the Tower she sped up to walk beside him.

“In a hurry?” she asked casually.

He looked at her then slowed down a little. “Sorry, I’m just … not at my best. This really may not be the best time to talk about whatever you’re thinking about.”

“What do you think I’m thinking about?” she returned with a hint of amusement and watched him.

It took a long moment but he finally said, “Last night.”

They continued walking. “I have several topics, some much more pleasant than that,” she said vaguely.

He looked at her but kept going in silence until they walked out the front door. There were a few others out but they were all in the distance. They walked towards the lake and stopped under a large tree that gave shade from the mid-day sun but it was obvious no one else was around.

Harry looked at her expectantly but didn’t say anything.

“Fine,” she told him, “let’s get the big one out of the way first.” Slowly, she reached forward with one hand and placed it on his upper arm, something he watched with a slight frown. “I didn’t see it, but Remus told me what happened.”

He stiffened.

“I’m so sorry, Harry. I know you’ll miss Sirius most of all, but the rest of us who knew him will miss him too.” She watched him struggle for a second. “He was fun and silly at times, even occasionally immature, but he loved you; he told me so that first summer before you got there.”

His head dropped and he started to turn away.

Ginny grabbed his other arm and pull him to her, wrapping him in a gentle but firm hug. “He was like a favorite uncle to me so I can only imagine how you feel right now.”

His arms grabbed her and his head went to her shoulder so his face was in her hair. She could feel him shaking even if he wasn’t making a sound.

“It’s all right,” she soothed softly and patted and rubbed his back. “Let it out anyway you want. We can scream and shout about it together also if you want.”

Harry snorted and shook a little more but kept his face in her hair. She smiled to herself and continued to hold him as he let a little of his grief out.

It was several minutes before he sniffled and then pulled back a little to pull his glasses off and wipe his eyes. She let him move only a little, still holding him loosely and he either didn’t notice or didn’t seem to care.

“I know it’ll take time, but is it a little better now?” she asked.

He put his glasses back on and nodded. “A little, thanks.”

“Anytime.” She noticed his hands went naturally to her sides and he held her loosely as well.

“You’ve changed,” he told her. “I’ve seen glimpses during the year, but now...”

“Big events do that,” she told him. “I have a different perspective on a few things now; don’t you?”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“Do you want to know a secret? I think you’ll like this one,” she teased him with the news.

“Sure.”

“It took me longer than I’d like to admit, but I realized this isn’t...” She had to pause. “I don’t know how to explain it, but this wasn’t just arguing. This is really war.”

Harry nodded slowly. “Yeah, people are … dying.”

Ginny nodded back not wanting to mention Sirius again just yet. “I started to wonder why it’s just us, you know, the good guys getting hurt. Good is supposed to win over evil but it doesn’t feel like it far too often.”

He nodded again. “I know.”

“I did something to help you, to help all of us,” she whispered.

Harry looked at her sharply, his look demanding to know what.

She pulled him close into a light hug and whispered in his ear. “Some of them aren’t going get out of jail or prison.” Ginny leaned back and looked into his eyes and she could see hope. “I also kicked Lucius Malfoy where it counts — twice.”

Harry’s looked turned to one of incredulity before he started laughing a deep and almost hysterical laugh.

When he calmed down and was only smiling broadly, she added, “Sadly, he was stunned at the time, but I bet he wasn’t happy when he woke.” If he woke, she added to herself.

Harry was still grinning when he said, “I’m sure. Merlin I’d have liked to have seen that and when he woke.” After a moment, he sobered up. “What did you do to them?”

Ginny wasn’t sure how much she wanted to admit nor how she could explain how she so conveniently had a poison on her, so she finally said, “Let’s say that Tom will have fewer Death Eaters to help him out in a day or maybe two at most, plus I got revenge on Malfoy for the diary, and leave it at that. Please?”

He considered it for a long moment. “All right, we all have our secrets.”

If you only knew she thought. “Can I ask you about two more things?”

He shrugged, “I suppose,” before he grinned and added, “I might even answer.”

She smiled at him and looked into his green eyes as well as enjoyed their embrace that he seemed to have either forgotten about or enjoyed too. “Did you find your OWLs hard?”

He blinked, not expecting that topic obviously. “The written parts, the practicals were pretty easy though.”

“Good. I was thinking about taking them this summer and then joining you in sixth year. Would that be all right with you?” She asked innocently and almost laughed at his shocked look.

“Seriously?!”

“Yes, if I can convince my parents and I think I can.” She watched him.

“Sure, if you think you can,” he told her with amusement. “I hope I’m around when you tell Ron though.”

Ginny giggled. “That will be epic, but I’d also ask you keep this a secret for a few weeks. For me please?”

“Sure, as long as you tell me what happens if I’m not there.”

“I can do that.” Here it goes, she thought. “I’d like to spend more time with you … like this even.” She watched him think about that for a long moment before she saw the proverbial sudden understanding look and it was comical.

When he started to squirm, she popped him lightly on the back with one hand and he stilled. “We’ve been holding each over almost the entire time we’ve been out here,” she pointed out. “Has it been bad?” She gave him the look daring him to disagree.

“No,” he said finally.

“Just no?” she pressed.

He finally shook his head. “No, it’s been … pleasant actually.”

“I won’t demand more of an answer for now, but I’d like you to think about this. Promise me?” she almost pleaded.

He looked into her eyes and finally nodded. “Maybe we can write?”

“I’d like that,” she smiled at him. “We can talk too when we get together.” She frowned at a thought. “Where are you staying this summer?”

Harry looked down. “Probably have to go back to the Dursleys like usual.”

Ginny worked through a few thoughts. “Why?”

“I’m supposed to, it’s where I grew up.” He looked very uncomfortable saying that.

“But you don’t like it ... at all, do you?” She ventured.

“No.”

She considered that some more. “You could go stay at Sirius’s house, but my guess is that wouldn’t be a good idea right now, would it?”

He shook his head.

“Come to my house; you’re always welcome there, you know,” she reminded him.

He snorted and smiled. “That’d be brilliant but Dumbledore won’t let me.”

“I’m sorry to keep repeating myself, but why?” She pressed. “He’s not your guardian, or does Sirius’s will say Dumbledore gets custody of you?”

Harry looked at her in surprise. “Dumbledore says it’s the safest place for me. I have no idea what Sirius wanted, but he did tell me once that I was his heir.”

“Maybe write Lupin and ask him where Sirius’s will is … or ask Tonks, she’s family too,” Ginny suggested. “I’d tell you just stay at Hogwarts but I don’t know how you’d do that and not get caught.”

Harry looked at her and then cocked his head for a moment before he started to laugh.

“What?” She asked with a smile, his laughter infectious and she was happy he was out of his earlier moodiness.

“The Room of Requirement,” was all he said.

She grinned wider and then started laughing too. “Ask Lupin about Sirius’s will first and if you can’t get an answer or don’t like the answer then you can do that. I’ll even help.”

“Really?”

“Really, although,” she paused and looked at him mischievously, “it might come at a small price like...” She smiled coyly at him, “...a kiss, and I mean a real one not some peck on the cheek.”

He looked taken aback.

“Would that be so bad?” she pushed him to answer.

He blushed slightly and had trouble maintaining eye contact, but he answer, “No, no it wouldn’t.”

“Write Lupin and ask,” she advised. “It’s your life, Harry. You’re about to turn sixteen and I think it’s time you thought about taking control of your life. Maybe a little at a time, maybe all at once, but it’s your life, Harry.” It seemed like she could see the wheels turning in his mind, as the saying went.

Harry looked at her again. “You really have changed.”

“Do you like the new me?” she asked innocently.

“The old you was nice, but I might like this Ginny a little more,” he teased her.

“Growing up isn’t always easy,” she said as she loosened the embrace finally and gestured at the front door.

“No it’s not,” he agreed as he dropped his arms and turned.

They walked back slowly side-by-side in companionable silence and with Harry in a much better frame of mind. She was amused when she noticed him giving her glances.

As they entered the front door, they saw Neville hurrying their way. “There you are,” he cried. “Come on, Ron and Hermione are back.” They picked up Luna on the way to the hospital wing as well.

Everyone grinned to see the others, the greetings loud enough to bring Madam Pomfrey out of her office. “Be quiet or you four can leave,” she huffed. After they all agreed to tone it down, the nurse shook her head and returned to her office.

Ginny hurried over to Ron and hugged him hard. “I’m so glad you’re all right,” she told him softly. She held in sniffles that were threatening to appear, glad she could see and hug him again after a year, something she couldn’t tell him.

“Are you all right?” Harry asked first, looking at the two in their own bed.

“I’m fine now, it wasn’t too bad,” Ron said easily as Ginny let him go and looked for a seat.

“I’m better too,” Hermione said, though Harry noticed she seemed to be moving carefully as she sat up straighter on the bed. “We’re in a special edition of the Prophet,” she announced, as Harry and Ginny took a seat together on Ron’s bed, Luna sat on Hermione’s, and Neville pull a chair over to sit between the beds.

As Luna pulled out the latest edition of The Quibbler, Hermione began tell them what was in the Prophet. “It says You-Know-Who was seen in the Ministry of Magic by Aurors and even the Minister, and that was after a battle where ten Death Eaters were caught.”

“Err, wait,” Harry stopped her. “I’m sure there were twelve and I saw Bellatrix go with Voldemort, so where’s the missing Death Eater?”

Hermione skimmed further. “They say there does appear to be one missing as the other Death Eaters claimed someone named Augustus Rookwood was there but he hasn’t been found, so they assume he escaped somehow.”

Ginny guessed he hadn’t escaped but Croaker had found him. She kept silent on her guess.

“It says Harry Potter and five other students were there, as were some other witches and wizards that helped capture them, plus Albus Dumbledore who was also there. It says there was a big battle in the Atrium between Dumbledore and You-Know-Who.” Hermione stopped and looked at Harry.

“It’s true, I watched it,” Harry told them. “He wouldn’t let me help either,” he said a littler bitterly.

When no one else said anything, Ginny said, “I’m sure you’ll have a chance later if you want as he’s not going away on his own.”

Harry nodded.

Hermione returned to the article. “The Ministry is trying to figure out what to do while cleanup is happening. Oh, it lists the Death Eaters with a late update that Lucius Malfoy and...” Hermione looked up in surprise. “...Antonin Dolohov never woke up and died from their injuries.”

Neville reached over and patted Hermione’s shoulder. “You don’t have to worry about him now.”

Harry looked at Ginny who gave him the barest of smiles that no one else noticed. She could tell he wanted to ask if that was her doing but knew better than to ask at the moment, for which she was grateful.

“Are each of you,” Harry looked at the two in the beds, “going to be all right, you know, fully healed.”

“Sure, mate,” Ron told him cheerfully.

“In a couple of days we’ll be fine,” said Hermione a little more somberly. “Don’t worry about us, Harry. We’re always with you.”

“Yeah, mate,” Ron echoed as did Neville. Luna looked up and nodded, proving she had been paying attention after all. Ginny placed a hand on his back and nodded too.

“Thank you,” he said softly before he cleared his throat. “If you haven’t heard, Sirius died last night; got knocked into the Veil of Death by Bellatrix.”

Hermione and Ron gasped while Luna looked at him sharply. Neville looked down, apparently already knowing like Ginny did. They talked for a bit about the man, those that knew him said how much they liked him. Ginny kept her hand on Harry’s back and rubbed lightly to hopefully soothe him a little.

After they talked a little about going home on Friday and what they might do this summer, Harry stood and said, “I need to go write a letter and I’ll come back later. Ginny, would you come too and give me a hand?”

“Sure, Harry.” She joined him but heard whisperings behind her as they left, making her smile.

When they were alone, Harry looked at her for a moment as they walked. “Did you, uh, you know?”

Ginny smiled bravely but answered somberly. “I didn’t sleep well last night because of it, but there should be eight less at the end. I’ll also guess the missing one won’t be returning. I believe some old friends of his in the Ministry might have found him before the Aurors. Sorry, but that’s all I’ll say.”

They walked on towards Gryffindor Tower for a few minutes more. “Thank you,” Harry said quietly. “It’s only what we’ve all wanted to do but weren’t able.”

“Sometimes the good guys get lucky. For example, all of us lived,” she reminded him. “I’m not sure if they took it easy on us because we were kids, because most of us were not Muggle-born — I’m sure you noticed Hermione was hurt the worst — or if there was some other reason. You were spared because you had the prophecy; but if you remember, Malfoy said they could kill the others if necessary. One of them hit me in the face with a Stunning spell; if it has been a Cutting curse we wouldn’t be talking right now.”

“I’m sorry I dragged you along and--”

“Stop right there!” she demanded and pushed him to the wall and got into his face. “We went because we’re your friends and we cared about Sirius too. It’s not your fault, Harry.” She was upset with him for saying that.

He looked at her for a moment. “Maybe you’re right,” he allowed, earning a raised eyebrow from her. “He possessed me in the Atrium; it hurt a lot.”

Ginny took a half-step back and gasped. “I’m sorry; no one should have that done to them, I know.”

“Something else we have in common, I suppose, though not something to brag about,” he said with self-deprecation.

“No it’s not.” She took another step back and then a step towards the Tower and he joined her. They didn’t talk the rest of the way, each lost in their own thoughts.

Harry wrote a quick letter to Remus and let her read it for her approval before they went to the owlery to send it off with Hedwig with instruction to wait for a reply.

They returned to the hospital wing to rejoin their friends, who gave them strange glances but no one said anything about them going off together.

Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The next morning Ginny, mailed the letter she’d written last night to her father, hoping to start him thinking about letting her take her OWLs in a couple of weeks. She was under no illusion he’d keep that from her mother, but perhaps that was best too as she’d get her first reaction out before Ginny arrived. She didn’t expect a reply back since they’d be home in a few days.

She sat with Harry and his friends for a show of solidarity considering all that was being said about them. Ginny also thought that reminding Harry to think about her wouldn’t be remiss either. He was a little slow with girls she’d noticed.

When the owls arrived bringing the morning mail, she saw an unfamiliar owl with a small package land in front of her that had her name on it.

“Why did your mum send you something?” Harry asked. “You’ll be home in a few days.”

“I was wondering the same thing,” she replied as took the package so the owl could leave. After a moment’s thought, she set the package beside her and returned to her breakfast. “I’ll open it later.”

“Would she really send you something embarrassing?” Harry asked.

Ginny chuckled. “To her, it wouldn’t be, but it could be to me if I opened it here. Or are you wanting to see my knickers, Harry?” she teased and noticed Neville choking on his food such that Dean had to slap him on the back. She was pleased to see Harry turning a bit red.

“Don’t think I need to…” He suddenly smirked, “…unless you’re wearing only them.”

Now Ginny felt herself warming in the face and she was sure she was blushing, but she wasn’t going to back down. She was going to win this contest. “I’m sure that could be arranged that if you’d be willing to wear the same.”

Harry’s smile dropped as he looked at her in open-mouth surprise.

“Point to Weasley,” she said with a smile and returned to her breakfast. She noticed Harry glancing at her again, as were Neville and Dean. She considered herself lucky Ron hadn’t been here to hear that exchange. Flirting with Harry was fun but Ron would have interrupted she was sure. She also thanked Merlin she’d grown up enough she could flirt with him now.

Harry said, “I’m going to go see Ron and Hermione when I finish. Anyone else want to come?”

Neville quickly agreed.

“I need to drop this package off but I’ll meet you there,” Ginny told him. “Since I’m done I’ll leave now.” Grabbing her package, she walked quickly to her dorm room.

In her room, she opened the package and was surprised to see a number of doll-sized clothes and what looked like a pack of Exploding Snap cards. Recognizing the color of the clothes she expanded them and saw what she’d been wearing since Christmas. Expanding the small container showed it to be a box, which contained the notes she’d been using to study for her OWLs. “Bless you, Betty, all is forgiven,” she whispered.

Today she’d found clothes which were loose enough she could wear them, but it was the only set she’d had in her trunk that fit well. Now, she’d have enough to get some laundered and then she could get new ones when she arrived home. She was at the right age for growth spurts, even if she was the smallest of the group.

Putting those away, she hurried to the hospital wing and found the others only now about to sit down. Amusingly to her, they’d left a space next to Harry so she took it. He gave her a questioning look but he also smiled.

Hermione pulled out her newspaper from this morning and held it out. “You need to read the story on the bottom half.”

Harry took it and looked, with Ginny looking on too. It wasn’t hard to figure out which article as one was titled “Nine Death Eaters Dead”.

“What does it say?” Ron asked.

“It says,” Harry said slowly as he continued to read it quickly, “that eight of the Death Eaters from the battle at the Ministry have died now, even some who weren’t wounded, so Director Bones is starting an investigation. It also says Rookwood, the one who’d been missing, was found. He’d been hiding and in a room with an experiment that killed him; that’s why he was the last to be found. He was also found by the Unspeakables not the Aurors.”

Ginny snorted when she hadn’t meant to so now everyone was looking at her.

“What?” Hermione asked pointedly.

Thinking quickly she said, “The Unspeakables have a reputation for being people not to mess with. It’s possible he was the experiment for breaking in.”

Hermione was aghast, but it was Neville who said, “That’s their reputation and it could be true.” He wouldn’t elaborate and Ginny wondered if an extended family member of Neville’s was an Unspeakable.

Harry folded the newspaper and handed it back to Hermione. “It ends with that only Vincent Crabbe Sr and George Mulciber of those captured are still alive and they’re being watched closely.”

“The only good Death Eater is a dead Death Eater,” Ron said authoritatively. The others nodded, except for Hermione who was deep in thought.




The day before they were to go home, Dumbledore stopped by as they were finishing breakfast. “Harry, I’d like a word with you, please.”

Ginny watched him go and wondered what that was about. It could be any number of things, but she was concerned for what it could be because Harry had not received a response from Remus Lupin yet.

Going to the common room, Ginny leaned against the wall next to the opened main window. Here she could watch the Portrait Hole and look outside. It was over an hour later that she finally saw Harry flying outside and he was taking risky dives, or at least they would have been for her.

With a sigh, she left for her dorm room to get her old but trusty Comet since she was mostly packed. Taking her broom back downstairs, she mounted and flew out the main window since it was bigger than the one in her dorm room. She thought she heard a few gasps behind her, but she didn’t care.

It didn’t take her long to reach the area Harry was flying in. She flew in the area so she could keep a watch on him yet give him space. It was nearly ten minutes before he stopped and only flew slowly at height.

Ginny took that as the cue that he’d gotten over the worst of his anger. What a pair they’d make if they ever became angry at the same time, she thought. Flying over, she flew beside him and asked, “Feel a little better?”

“A little,” he said, anger still tinging his voice. “He makes me so angry at times.”

She didn’t have to ask who. “What did Dumbledore do?”

Harry huffed. “The short version is that Remus went to Dumbledore about my letter and Dumbledore said not to worry about Sirius’s will or anything else and to go back to the Dursleys’ because it was the safest place for me. When I asked why it was so safe when the Dursleys hated me, he reminded me of the Blood Wards he told me about the other night. When I reminded him that Voldemort had my blood and was able to touch me now, he looked surprised as he’d obviously forgotten me telling him that, but he still said I had to go back. If he’s not pissing me off like this, then it’s telling me the stupid prophecy right after Sirius died. While I shouted at him again, I did manage not to trash his office like I did last time -- barely.”

Ginny blinked at those revelations. A quiet “Damn!” was all she could manage.

Harry looked at her and laughed. “That was a lot milder than I was thinking. I’m sure Ron would have given me at least a ‘bloody hell, mate!’,” he told her with a grin.

She snorted. “I was thinking much worse, I promise. So it’s plan B?”

“Yep, I’ve already put that in motion. I stopped by the kitchens on the way here and found Dobby, the house-elf. You remember me telling you about him?” he asked.

“Yeah, the one that used to belong to Malfoy … and so forth.” She still didn’t like talking about her first year at school.

“That’s the one,” he confirmed. “I asked him if he’d like to work for me, whether for pay or as part of the family. He wanted to be part of the Potter Family so that’s done.”

Ginny snorted again. “Hermione isn’t going to like that, but that’s her problem.”

Harry harrumphed. “Yeah it is because I also learned more about house-elves in the ten minute conversation with the little guy then I’d known before. Hermione’s heart is in the right place, but she’s so wrong about them it’s not even funny -- which is something that’s unusual for her since she normally researches things to death.”

“She doesn’t fully understand the Wizarding World -- our culture,” Ginny commented. “Even I’m still learning a few things and I grew up in it.”

Harry nodded. “Me too. Being raised in the Muggle world makes it hard, even more so when everyone expects me to know this stuff because I’m a Potter.” Now he snorted and shook his head at the travesty.

“I’d be happy to teach you,” she said suggestively and raised an eyebrow.

He looked at her seriously. “I’ve actually been thinking about that, now that I’m over my shock.”

Ginny laughed. “Poor Harry. He can stand up to Death Eaters but is flummoxed by a girl batting her eyes at him.” She did that too, which caused him to grin as he looked down in embarrassment for a moment.

“So, you’d help me get away tomorrow as well as write me and let me know what’s going on while I’m in hiding?” He looked at her hopefully.

“Yes.”

“For a small price?”

Now she grinned. “I’m glad you haven’t forgotten about that. I’ll do my best to make it enjoyable too.”

He gulped. “Right.”

They plotted and planned for the next few minutes while they flew around lazily.

By the end Harry was smiling and again back to his normal self. He looked at her. “You’re really something, Ginny. I don’t know how, but you’re able to calm me down in a way that Hermione and Ron have never been able to do.”

She smiled at him and hoped she wasn’t giving anything away. “Thank you. I will have to say that I do like you better this way and…” she paused for a second, “…Merlin help the person that riles up both of us because I have a temper too. It comes with the red hair.”

Harry laughed. “I like your red hair … and a lot more about you.”

Ginny smiled even more at hearing that and considered that her campaign was working.

– – –

Ron and Hermione returned just in time for dinner and they were welcomed back. Ginny and Neville were around the other three most of the evening and she noticed Harry never mentioned his new plans. That made her feel special, but she also remember Harry telling her that the fewer who knew the better, which had made her promise him she wouldn’t tell anyone.

He’d also suggested she ask her brother Bill about Occlumency, as he suspected Bill might know it, and to see if he’d teach her at least the basics. She’d agreed readily.

The group broke up about nine to go pack for tomorrow.




Ginny was with her friends, and most of Gryffindor it seemed, heading towards the train to go home for the summer. They’d barely reached the front door when Harry said, “Oh! I forgot my broom under by bed. I have to go get it.”

“Mate,” Ron called out, “you don’t have much time.”

“Yeah, I know. I’ll have to run or maybe fly back. Go ahead and I’ll meet you there,” Harry told them.

“We can wait,” Hermione offered.

“No, go ahead,” He told them again. “I can run faster by myself.” Harry turned and pushed his way through the crowd coming out, getting looks and laughs.

“Come on,” Ginny urged them. “No need for us to have to hurry or miss the train.”

“But--” Hermione started to argue.

“He has a broom,” Ginny interrupted her, “and if he really does miss it, you know McGonagall will help him to the station after she gives him an earful, which he’ll deserve.”

Ron and Neville laughed, while Hermione still looked like she wanted to wait. Ginny nudged them forward and the four started walking. Halfway there they caught up with Luna who was walking slowly so they all walked together.

They grabbed a cabin near the end of the train and kept a lookout for Harry. Just before the train was due to leave, Ginny said, “Oh, I think I see him near the front getting on. I’m sure he’ll find us in a few minutes.”

“Are you sure?” Hermione asked trying to look that way.

“How many heads of messy black hair that won’t lay down are there in the school?” Ginny joked.

“Just one,” Ron answered with a grin.

The train started with a jerk and Hermione fretted. “He’s still not here.”

“Relax,” Neville encouraged her. “Harry’s good enough he could fly and catch up to the train to get on.” That brought a laugh to everyone, even Hermione.

Five minutes later, Harry still wasn’t there so Hermione said, “I’m going to check.” Ron volunteered to go with her so they left.

Neville looked at Ginny. “Are you sure you saw him?”

“I didn’t see his face, but who else looks like him from the back?” the redhead defended herself.

“Michael Corner and you should know,” Luna pointed out suddenly.

Ginny looked away for a second slightly embarrassed. “Considering I dated him, I’d like to hope I could tell those two apart.”

Neville smile. “So what is it with you and Harry. Something’s changed in the last week.”

Ginny smiled and looked out of the window for a moment to sort of hide her face. “We’re … talking.”

“Does he like the new you?” Luna asked causing Neville to give the comment a surprised look.

Ginny shot her a look that she hoped Luna knew to mean ‘be quiet’. “That’s something between only the two of us, but let’s say things are looking positive at the moment.”

A few minutes later, Hermione and Ron returned. “He’s not on the train.” She shot Ginny a dirty look.

“We were discussing that,” Ginny replied. “I didn’t see his face and he was at a distance, so it could have been Corner. Don’t worry though, the Professor will help him get back.” The others didn’t look so confident at that, but Ginny just leaned back and relaxed. She was smiling on the inside because the plan was working so far and this meant Harry owed her -- a payment she definitely planned to collect.

– – –

When the students thinned so Harry was by himself, he ducked into the opening of a secret passage. Pulling out the Marauder’s Map, he checked it and found a few stragglers in Gryffindor hurrying to leave so he waited. He also pulled out his Invisibility Cloak and put it around his shoulders. A few minutes later he deemed it safe enough to leave for the seventh floor.

When he arrived at the where the entrance to the Room of Requirement was, he wished for a place to hide. When the door appeared, he entered to find an absolutely huge room with piles of things nearly to the very tall ceiling. He closed the door and wished to remain hidden and was pleased when the door disappeared.

He walked further in and started looking around. It didn’t take long before realized he wouldn’t be bored this summer if he didn’t want to be. Besides doing what he wanted, he could look around the room and see what was here. He might even find some interesting treasures that had been lost or left here.

“Dobby?”

The elf popped in. “I have set up Master’s place over here.” Dobby led him around several large piles before Harry saw a bed, several chairs for lounging, a wardrobe, plus a desk and chair. He also found what looked like a small standalone shed. Opening the door he realized it was a portable bathroom -- wizarding style.

“Excellent work, Dobby.” Harry suddenly realized he was looking at everything in natural light, so another look around and he saw two long windows, each open that let in a pleasant summer breeze.

“I have already unpacked Master’s things. Dobby will serve lunch in an hour.”

“Thank you, Dobby. You’re really brilliant.” Harry was amused that Dobby looked giddy from the praise before he left.

His only concern had been if the other elves would report him being here, but Dobby had assured him they wouldn’t. Harry suspected because Dobby had demanded it of them, but whatever the reason, it was fine by him.

“Hedwig,” he called out joyfully when his owl flew in the window and landed on a perch with two bowls that he hadn’t noticed before. He walked over and petted her, which she enjoyed and gave him a few barks and a coo. “Just think,” he told her, “no Dursleys and I think you’ll get a bit of a workout taking letters for me.” Hedwig seemed happy about that.

Harry put his Invisibility Cloak in the wardrobe with his clothes, noticing his trunk on its end next to the furniture. He then realized he had no walls for his “room”, but as he was the only one in here that was fine. His books were on his desk and ready for him when he wanted them.

He shook his head. He really should have done this or something like it after his first year. Oh well, he had been younger and more nave, not to mention more trusting of the Headmaster.

Albus Dumbledore was someone who really frustrated him at the moment. He mostly trusted the old man, but he was starting to realize the man had some agenda or plans in regards to him that he wouldn’t tell. Harry believed the two had the same final goal, but the difference was how to get there. Oh well, a problem for another time.

He tried each of the three chairs to find the most comfortable and then waited for lunch. He wasn’t being lazy, but he did want to relax for a bit after the efforts he’d made this morning. He was sure his friends would be upset with him until he explained.

Then there was Ginny. He owed her now and from her various comments he knew he’d have to pay up. On the other hand, that wouldn’t be a bad thing. No, it would probably be quite pleasant. The question was did he want something with her.

Ginny was cute. For that matter, Hermione was attractive as was Luna, but Ginny appealed to him more. Was it the red hair? He definitely liked her longer hair, longer than the other two girls. They had things in common too. He was amused that despite how she acted around him when she was younger, she had grown up and they got along quite well now. He had been serious when he said she was able to calm him down better than anyone else.

He also recalled Fred and George once saying she was a lot of power in a small package. He could appreciate that because if she was going to be around him, that would be needed. He didn’t want to endanger her, but he liked that she did seem to be able to handle herself if given the chance.

With a sigh, he considered the largest problem he had: the prophecy. He hadn’t told anyone yet. Should he tell the other five or just Ron and Hermione? Perhaps he’d tell them all but just the part Voldemort knew -- maybe. He didn’t have to decide now.

A new thought hit him as he considered the prophecy. With a smile, he headed to the desk and found something to write on and made some notes before he wrote a letter. Pleased with it, he walked over to his kit and pulled out a small Potions phial. It took a little effort, but he pulled a memory out of his head and put it in the phial. Thinking, he could still clearly recall the episode, so he was sure he’d made a copy of it. He put that in the envelope with the letter before moving over to Hedwig who was watching him.

“Yes, I have a letter for you. I’d like you to take this to Madam Amelia Bones, but it’s probably best to go to her home not where she is now at work. If you don’t know where that is, I’d tell you to head towards wherever Susan Bones lives as I’d think that would be nearby.” He tied the letter to Hedwig’s leg and petted her for a moment before she took off.

Dobby arrived soon and Harry returned to the desk to eat. He wondered if he could find a small table for that in case he had work all over the desk in the future. He had time to look this afternoon.

– – –

By the time the train had reached King’s Cross Station, Hermione had worked herself up into a tizzy, muttering about what she’d do to Harry when she get her hands on him. Ginny knew what she planned to do to Harry which caused her to smile, but she was sure that was not what Hermione was thinking about.

When they got off the train, they found a small group from the Order had cornered the Dursleys to threaten them into good behavior. Ginny almost lost it, barely holding her laughter in. Harry would like to hear about this. It was even better when the news broke that he wasn’t here.

“What do you mean Harry wasn’t on the train?” Remus Lupin asked with deep concern.

“Obviously that he didn’t come with us,” Hermione told him. “Just wait until I get my hands on him for worrying us so.”

“Why didn’t he get on the train with all of you?” Molly Weasley asked, fixing each of her two children there with a stare.

Ron caved. “He said he forgot his broom under his bed and went back to get it. He promised he’d meet us on the train. Ginny said she saw him.” He pointed at her, which caused her mother’s focus to shift.

“I said I saw someone who I thought was him get on the train but it turned out to be someone else. I didn’t see his face just his dark hair from the back,” Ginny defended herself. “Didn’t the professors bring him?” she deflected.

“No,” Remus answered.

“The boy’s not here?” Vernon questioned, finding his spine after the intimidation by Moody. “All this way for nothing. You can keep him then; we don’t want him to ever darken our door again. Let’s go Petunia.” He turned and walked away with his wife following.

Ginny narrowed her eyes and envisioned doing a few vile things to them as it confirmed a few thoughts she’d had on Harry’s home life. Perhaps that was a task for her seventeenth birthday.

“That poor boy. What do we do?” Molly asked and looked almost ready to panic.

“We contact Professor Dumbledore,” Arthur told his wife before he looked at Moody. “Do you have time or do I need to after I take the children home?”

“I’ll do it,” Moody volunteered. “I have a few questions for him, starting with what he did to piss off Potter. After last summer and then with losing Black, I have a feeling this wasn’t accidental.” The retired Auror Apparated away.

“This reminds me of Sirius when he was sixteen,” Lupin said before he left with a crack, probably to chase after Moody.

“I guess I’m going home,” Tonks announced and left.

The other students found their parents, father, or grandmother as needed.

“Let’s go,” Arthur told his children. “We’ll Apparate you to the Leaky Cauldron and then Floo home. Ron?” He took his son, leaving Ginny to her mother.

Soon they were home and Ginny had to work not to weep from happiness at seeing the place again since it had been over a year and a half since she’d seen it.

“What wrong dear?” her mother asked.

Ginny realized she hadn’t held her emotions in as well as she’d thought. Since the episode with Harry on the train platform had prevented hugs, she threw herself at her mother. “It’s so good to see you and to be home,” she said into her mother’s shoulder. “I’ve missed you and dad more than I thought.”

Her mother gave her a tight hug. “You’ll always be our daughter and we’ve missed you too.” When they let go, her mother put her hands on the girl’s shoulders to hold her in place at arm’s length. “My, you’ve grown like a weed too over the last term. Where did you get that blouse? I don’t remember buying it for you.”

Ginny smiled. “One of the older girls outgrew it and gave it to me, along with a couple of others. I need to go shopping.”

“Well it is about that time,” her mother said softly. “I remember growing quickly too at your age.” Her focus returned and she fixed Ginny with a hard look. “Your father and I will talk to you and your brother about that foolish stunt you pulled recently too. Leaving school like that -- really?!”

“We had a very good reason,” Ginny told her, expecting something like this.

“We’ll see. I’m tempted to tell you no on your other request simply because of that!”

“Mum!”

“Don’t you mum me. Take your trunk upstairs and unpack. We’ll have dinner soon and we’ll all talk after dinner. Go!” The woman twisted her around and Ginny had no choice but to grab her trunk and lug it upstairs to her room.

She met her dad on the way up. She stopped on the landing to set her trunk down and threw her arms around him.

“It’s good to see you at home too, Ginny,” he told her as he returned her hug.

“Dad, about the--”

“We’ll talk about it later, young lady. It and more. Head on up and unpack,” he commanded kindly.

This was going to be a hard talk, but it was so good to be home.

– – –

Alastor Moody walked into the Headmaster’s office with Lupin on his heels. “What did you do to Potter to piss him off?” he asked gruffly.

“What are you talking about, Alastor?” Dumbledore queried at the two men who’d walked in without knocking.

“Potter didn’t get on the train and none of his friends know where he is,” Moody said. “He made an excuse and left them just before the train departed. Sounds like he ran away. I know his godfather was recently killed and I’m sure that affected him, but I doubt that was enough. Then there’s the way you isolated him last summer then ignored him this year from what I’ve heard. That makes you the only person I know who could affect him so much. So what did you do to cause him to go off on his own?”

Dumbledore took his glasses off and rubbed his eyes. “Remus brought me a letter from Harry where he asked about Sirius’s will and who his guardian was now because he didn’t want to return to his aunt’s house. I told him not to worry about it and that he’d be safer at the Dursleys and I insisted.”

Moody harrumphed and was incredulous. “You call yourself a Headmaster of children? As I became too old to run after the young criminals, you’re too old to be Headmaster as you’ve forgotten what children are really like. They’re little rebels and hellions at his age.” He huffed and shook his head. “When I think of all the trouble I got into as a teenager I’m surprised I survived at times. Potter’s not any different as his stunt early in the week showed.

“You screwed up by the numbers this time, Albus.”

“Albus, we have to find him,” Lupin said after Moody had finished his rant.

“Aye, and mend the bridge,” Moody added. “Hell, let him stay with his friends and put one of us there all the time like you were planning to do at his relatives. Or I’m sure one of the Order members would take him home and keep him if you asked nicely. But if he’s as important as you say, you’ve royally botched it, old friend.”

With his words said, Mood walked over to the fireplace, grabbed a pinch of Floo Powder from the bowl on the mantle and left.

“Do you have any idea where he might have gone?” Dumbledore asked Lupin tiredly.

“Sirius’s house is the only place I can think of, which I’ll check, but I don’t expect him to be there.” Lupin thought some more. “Try a letter with an owl, or your Phoenix.”

The two looked at the majestic bird who looked back at them for a moment before Fawkes tucked his head under his wing.

“I’ll try a letter via an owl,” Dumbledore said. “If you’d tell me what you find #12?”

“Of course.” Lupin left to check, only to report back a few minutes later that Harry was not at #12.

Dumbledore gave his letter to an elf to send.

– – –

Not long before dinner an owl arrived with a letter with loopy writing that Harry recognized. He removed it from the owl to let the bird return to the owlery. After a moment’s thought, he decided to at least see what the old man wanted instead of simply vanishing the letter. As he’d guessed, the Headmaster wanted him to present himself, which he had no desire to do. The letter now disappeared.

While he had a few reading assignments for summer homework, Harry ignored those for the moment and grabbed his broom. He wanted to continue his search throughout the large room for a small table to eat on. The way things were stacked, he’d found he couldn’t see items at the top of the piles very well when he’d walked around and looked this afternoon; flying up was the only way to deal with the tall piles.

He also looked at the nearest stack to his bed and eyed it warily, imagining what might happen if it fell during the night. He’d work on taking that down this evening and tomorrow. He snorted, maybe sorting through all of the things here would be a fun diversion for the summer and it’d definitely keep him busy and he could practice spells on the worthless things. He was also a little curious as to what he’d find.

– – –

At The Burrow, dinner conversation was a little stilted as the proverbial elephant in the room wasn’t mentioned. Either Ron was told what was coming or he’d guessed as even he had little to say other than about the Quidditch season and he thought he’d passed all of his OWL exams. After all were done eating, her parents sent them to the living room while the two adults quickly put the extra food away but left the dishes for later.

Sitting down, their parents fixed them with intense looks. “Explain why you went to the Ministry,” their father said bluntly.

Ron and Ginny looked at each other; she gestured to him and he nodded. “Harry had a vision that Sirius was at the Ministry and in trouble and Harry decided to go rescue him. We went to keep him safe. We didn’t know it was a trap until the Death Eaters showed up.”

“Why didn’t you tell a professor?” their mother asked sharply.

“Who were we supposed to tell?” Ron complained. “The only teacher we could find was Umbridge and she was trying to do things to us. Dad,” he looked at his father, “she tried to use the Cruciatus on Harry!”

His father frowned.

“What about the others?” his mother persisted.

“There were no others from the Order who’d understand. Dumbledore was gone as was McGonagall.” Ron’s voice rose in frustration.

“Actually,” Ginny said softly, “I think Harry told Snape and it took us hours to get to the Ministry, so you’d have to ask him why you didn’t know sooner.”

“Why didn’t you try to Floo-Call me?” their mother asked.

Ron and Ginny looked at each other. “We didn’t think of it. Harry did try Sirius, but Kreacher answered and said Sirius wasn’t there.” Ginny hung her head. “It was a lie but we didn’t know that at the time. Not to blame Harry, but he was adamant to save Sirius and would have gone alone if the five of us hadn’t insisted he needed help. I shudder to think what would have happened had he gone alone.”

Ron nodded vigorously. “Too true.”

“I’m still very upset you two did that. You could have been killed!” their mother insisted.

“I’m sorry, Mum, but there really was no one there to turn to and we couldn’t think of everything. It really was all we could do to keep Harry from running off by himself,” Ron explained, holding his hands out in a helpless gesture.

“Sirius meant the world to him,” Ginny added. “I’m sure you don’t want to hear it, but if you or dad had been taken, Ron and I would have gone to save you. That’s what it was like for Harry. I know you didn’t think very highly of Sirius, Mum, but to Harry Sirius was the equivalent of his father.”

The two parents looked at each other for a long moment. “I’m afraid we didn’t consider it like that and we’ll need to talk about it some more,” her father said.

“Now about the other matter…” her father paused. “You have told Ron, haven’t you?”

“No, Dad, I wanted your permission first. If you said no it wouldn’t have mattered,” Ginny explained.

“Told me what?” Ron looked between them all.

When her father looked at her, Ginny took a deep breath and said, “I’ve asked for permission to take my OWL exams week after next at the Ministry with those who don’t attend Hogwarts.”

“You’re joking,” he accused her.

“I want to finish Hogwarts in two more years, Ron, and that means I need to start sixth year next year, which means I need to take my OWLs now, just like you did,” she said.

“Why?”

“Because Ron, I can see it as clearly as you can. It may limited for a time, but the war has started.” Ginny ignored the noise from her mother. “While I will try to avoid it as much as possible,” that was for her mother’s ears, “it’s going to come and I need to know as much as possible to defend myself and stay alive. Eventually, it’s going to come to Hogwarts and I don’t want to be there then. I don’t know if that can be avoided for two years, but I hope so. I’ve studied extra hard and I’m ready, or as ready as I can be.”

“The fifth year covers a lot of material and some of it is difficult,” her father said and Ron nodded.

Ginny pulled out her wand and before anyone could say anything, she softly said the spell for conjuring and a wooden chair appeared in the middle of the room. “Conjuring was the hardest thing I found,” she told them. “After conjuring, everything else was pretty easy other than there was simply a lot of material to cover and memorize.”

Her father stood and walked to the chair and examined it, including picking it up. Setting it down he sat in it then looked at her. “Well done.”

“You’re not supposed to use magic outside of school, young lady,” her mother admonished her.

“Mum, I know how the magic sensors work now,” having asked Betty over Christmas, “so I know I won’t get a warning here at home, as I wouldn’t have at Sirius’s house either. Magic would have made cleaning there go so much faster and better.”

“You’re not supposed to,” her mother insisted and glared.

Her father cleared his throat to prevent an argument. “Did you have any other reasons?”

“Yes, one more,” she replied. “I want to leave Hogwarts as soon as I can because I don’t feel it’s very safe.”

“Of course it’s safe,” her mother replied with a hint of indignation, “Professor Dumbledore is there.”

Dumbledore’s incompetence was a topic she knew was best not discussed with her mother, as least directly; it had to be done indirectly. “Mother, did you have to deal with You-Know-Who in the school because he possessed a teacher? Or a student being possessed? Or a basilisk? Or Dementors? Or forced to fight a dragon? Or a Death Eater disguised as a professor? Or a student being kidnapped by a Death Eater? Or a professor from the Ministry who forced students to write lines with Blood Quills and encouraged Purebloods to bully non-Purebloods?”

“You haven’t had all of those,” her mother retorted.

“I experienced all but the first and Ron has experienced them all,” Ginny replied back a little hotly, “and that’s with Dumbledore as Headmaster.”

“I think we get the point,” her father spoke up quickly, again to prevent an argument.

Ginny took a deep breath to calm herself and more normally said, “Dad, did you and Mum experience any of the things I listed when at school or watch others have to deal with them?”

Her father looked at her mother for a moment before he answered, “No dear, we didn’t, so I suppose I can see your point that things have changed over the years.

“Now, if we said yes, how ready are you and how do you think you’d do?” he looked at her.

Ginny brightened, hoping this meant they’d say yes. “I revised the most in Transfiguration, Charms, and Defense, so I believe I’d get an Outstanding in those. Harry said to be sure to do my Patronus for extra points.”

“You can do a Patronus?” her father asked amazed.

“Yes, it’s a horse; Harry taught us.”

“Ron?” Arthur asked.

“I only get mist or sometimes a small blob,” Ron said sadly. “Wait, I don’t remember seeing you do it last year,” he accused her.

She thought of holding Harry and how happy that had made her feel. “Expecto Patronum!” Instead of a horse as she’d seen on the island, a Pegasus came out of her wand. “Well, that’s different,” she said slowly, “but it’s still a Patronus.”

Her parents each looked impressed and proud. Ron looked upset she’d done that, so she hurried back to the other topic.

“I’ll probably only get an Acceptable in Astronomy because I don’t care about it, but I think I’ll get an Exceeds Expectations in all of the rest.”

“Ginny!” her mother exclaimed. “You should care about that class too and get a good grade in it also!”

“Mum, it’s boring and I haven’t found a single thing it’s good for. If it wasn’t a core class but an elective I wouldn’t have taken it,” she said matter-of-factly.

“Does my opinion count?” Ron asked, still upset.

Ginny willed her expression to say no but didn’t say anything verbally.

“Why would you not want her to?” their father asked.

“Because she’s only doing it to steal my friends,” Ron stated. “You should have seen her with Harry this last week, hanging out with him all the time.” He glared at her.

However, Ginny noticed her mother perking up at that news. Thank you, Ron, she thought, knowing that her mother had always liked Harry and she wouldn’t have been surprised if her mum had a secret desire to her and Harry to get together.

There was some truth to Ron’s accusation because she really did want to spend more time with Harry, but she wasn’t going to admit to that. “They are already my friends too, Ron,” she pointed out. “Also,” she looked at her parents, “Luna plans to take the exams too, so she can join me.” The other three all looked surprised at that.

“I think,” her mother said, “we need to talk more about that now that we’ve heard your reasons. I don’t like you talking about the war though,” she said with a frown.

“I’m sorry, but it doesn’t change the truth, Mum,” Ginny said. “Look at all the things that I listed that have happened to us at school over the years. I was really affected my first year and this last year. Ron has been pulled in a lot of times too. I really don’t think school is as safe now as it was when you went.”

Her mother looked like she wanted to disagree, but it was her father who said, “We’ll talk about it and let you know tomorrow.”

– – –

Amelia Bones entered her house a little after seven, late from work as usual considering how early she normally started her days. Her one Auror guard walked around the house and checked things out, as usual, and Amelia let her. Her house-elf had dinner ready, for which she was thankful.

As she was finishing her meal, a pecking was heard on the window. Her guard went over and opened the window, checking the letter for magic, which received an angry bark from a beautiful white owl, before she removed the fat letter and handed it over. The owl clicked her beak before leaving, causing Amelia to laugh.

“I don’t think you made a friend with that one, Jones.”

“Better safe than sorry, Director,” the Auror replied.

Opening it, she started reading and was surprised at whom it was from and that there was a memory with it.

When she finished the letter, she looked at her guard. “Back to the office, Jones; I need to use the department Pensieve.”

Jones let out a soft groan, but said, “Of course, Director.” The Auror headed back to the fireplace.

After viewing the memory in the privacy of her office with Jones guarding the door on the other side, she used her personal Floo connection and called an old friend. Luckily, he was at home and stepped through when she asked.

“Thank you for coming, Alastor,” she told him.

Moody grunted. “I’ve retired, but you’ve earned my help multiple times over.”

She nodded. “We’re both lucky to be alive.”

“What’s so important you called me at this time of day?” obviously not wanting to be nostalgic.

“I have a letter from Harry Potter and it’s very interesting,” she told him, just as happy to let some of their adventures lie unmentioned.

“Really? That’s good to know as he ran away today. Dumbledore is vexed with him but it’s his own damn fault the way he’s treated Potter, at least from what I can tell,” Moody said with something that might have been a self-satisfied smile. “What did the letter say?”

“He was very polite. Started by thanking me for his help to find the truth at his trial nearly a year ago then he made some suggestions. I was thankful for his wording as so many come to me making demands,” she told him. “Here.”

Moody took the proffered letter and read while Bones dug into her cabinet and pulled out a Pensieve and set it on her desk. Moody’s artificial eye swiveled that way before returning to the letter.

When he finished, he put the letter on the desk. “I agree with his parting comment that you need to be safer and move. I think his guess that Voldemort will come after you is correct.”

“I will not move every six months like you do, Alastor.”

“I didn’t say you had to, but where you live now is very well known and in these times, that’s a liability. He’s right, we need you,” Moody insisted.

“Shall we view what he sent us?” she asked and held up the memory. At his nod, she dumped the memory in the Pensieve and they both entered. When they finished the memory, both came out in a slight daze.

“That took stones!” Moody said vehemently.

“I’m fairly sure none of my Aurors would have come out of that alive, nor do I think I would have,” Amelia said, still surprised by what she’d seen in the graveyard scene.

“They all underestimated the kid and he had a large dose of luck, especially with that connecting of the wands,” Moody pointed out.

“True, but I wished we’d had this memory right after it’d happened. Damn Fudge!” she swore.

“You saw him at the end,” Moody pointed out, “denying it in the hospital wing afterward, as well as the news that he’d had a prime witness kissed so we couldn’t interrogate him. We can’t get rid of Fudge fast enough.”

Moody fixed her with a stare from both eyes. “Lass, that is why you have to move and stay safe. You’re very good in this position, but we need you -- an honest person -- at the helm of the entire ship for this war. Fudge would be a disaster; Bagnold -- rest her soul -- wasn’t all that good either. There really is no one better to take over and fight this war more effectively than you.”

Bones sat down in her chair to think. “Rufus is the only other.”

“Bah!” Moody objected. “Make him Director in your place. That would be a better spot for him.

“Back to Potter, what do you think about the prophecy thing he brought up in his letter?” He looked at her.

“It’s interesting,” she sort of agreed, “but I think what’s more interesting is his question about why Voldemort didn’t fully die and that Dumbledore knows but hasn’t said anything to anyone, at least not that I’m aware of.”

“You won’t get much out of Dumbledore, but you should ask anyway,” he suggested. “He doesn’t like to share secrets. By the way, if you get the chance, don’t let him be reinstated as Chief Warlock or be sent back to the ICW as Supreme Mugwump. I don’t know why people want to do that to him, but you should know he likes to collect positions and that stretches him too thin so he doesn’t do any job effectively. I think that’s why he screwed up with Potter so badly; he didn’t have the time to do a good job. Not that he’s all that great with kids I found out, but at least he can keep them safe from attacks by Death Eaters.”

“You have some good points,” she said with a nod. “I’ll see if he’s safe and if so tell Potter to stay where he is. There’s no need for Potter to return to an abusive home. I think I’ll ask if he’ll share a few more memories.”

“Good idea,” Moody agreed and rose. “You were always better at the big picture than most of us. That’s why you need to be the new Minister … and move to a safer place!” He barked the last before he left.

Amelia laughed at her old friend as he disappeared, but she agreed he had a point. Calling Jones into her office, they both left for her home. She had a letter to write and a lot of planning to do. There was that little house her brother had owned before he died. She wondered what condition it was in and sent her house-elf to find out and report back.




(A/N: Why didn’t Harry try to Floo Call the Weasley house after Sirius didn’t answer? Fun plot hole.)

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6

Author's Notes: As a few people pointed out to me, Umbridge pulled Harry out of the fireplace as he was trying to contact Sirius, making it harder for him to Floo call the Weasleys. All right, but after Harry and Hermione got rid of Umbridge via the Centaurs, why not go back to the Floo? They’d already taken care of the Inquisition Squad, IIRC. Or they could have found a Floo to use in Hogsmeade, or so I’d think. Yet as someone else pointed out, when you (Harry) are in a panic you don’t always think too well or logically and that would have described Harry fairly well at that time. Still, it’s a fun question to consider what else Harry could have done.


The next day, Ginny found out she and Ron weren’t going to be punished for the Battle at the Ministry and she was going to get to take her OWLs. She was ecstatic and went to Luna’s house to tell her. Ron moped around the house and grumbled about her trying to steal his best friend when she was near.

– – –

Harry received a letter from Amelia Bones and he was pleased she’d taken him seriously. She'd advised him to stay where he was if he was safe and she'd asked for more memories. He would run out of potions phials from his potions kit if he used those, but he was in the school’s lost and found with all sorts of things around him as he’d discovered. It didn’t take long to find enough small bottles when he searched.

With Dobby’s help, he’s started sorting the items he found into: books, clothes, furniture, trash, and keep just because he wasn’t sure.

A lot of the old clothes he’d simply vanished. In fact, the amount of underwear (from both genders) he’d found was simply staggering. He found a few shirts his size and were recent enough to look good that he kept. A few clothes for girls he planned send to Ginny to see if she or Luna wanted them.

As for the books, he wouldn’t run out of reading material anytime soon. He was pleased to have found the Standard Book of Spells - Grade 6 and one for grade 7 in the first pile; each was also fairly recent so he could read ahead for classes and in case he found anything useful in dealing with “those against him”.




Harry had been in hiding for several days now. He’d finally sent letters to his friends apologizing for not showing up on the train and explaining that he hadn’t wanted to go back to the Dursleys although he gave no details on why. It was the same basic letter to each of them, although he added an extra “thank you” to Ginny’s knowing she’d understand what it was for.

He was not looking forward to the return note from Hermione, but he helped that along by telling Hedwig not to wait for a reply. He hoped that would give his friend more time to calm down.

– – –

Alastor arrived at Bones Manor via the Floo. He looked around and said, “Since I see boxes, I assume you’re really moving?”

“Yes,” she answered as she placed a drink on the table for him, used to his preferences. “In fact, this is my last night here. I plan to have my house-elf change lights and such at night to make it look like I’m here. What you see packed are the few personal things I’d like to make sure don’t get destroyed if the house is attacked. The people who know where I’ll be living will be very limited.”

“I like the plan,” he said with a nod. “What did you bring me over for, lass?”

“Jones is guarding the place and will raise an alarm if needed, but I have the department Pensieve to look at the new memories Potter sent me today. His letter with them is quiet illuminating. There are a number of things Dumbledore has kept hidden.”

Moody snorted. “I think I mentioned he likes to keep secrets.”

“You did and I received knowledge of that first hand earlier today,” she told him with a hint of annoyance. “I stopped by to see him and have a chat. He was actually put out that Potter had shared some of that information with me. When I asked about how Voldemort had stayed alive all he’d say was some form of Dark Arts, but I had the distinct impression he actually knows.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised,” Moody agreed. “Shall we?” he gestured at the Pensieve.

Bones nodded and they each entered. It was a couple of hours later before they came out. Bones immediately grabbed the bottle she’d left out earlier and filled the two glasses instead pouring the usual shot. Each of them tossed half of it down at once.

“It’s a wonder he’s still alive,” Bones exclaimed after the initial burning of the drink subsided.

Moody’s eye was whirling, checking things, including making sure Jones was still outside. “Aye. The popular tales about him are obviously made up, but the boy has some steel in him. I’d also swear he had the gift of luck, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s the protection of Fate.”

“You believe the prophecy is unfulfilled then?” Bones watched him.

“That’s a tough one, but maybe.” Moody took another sip. “He’s still only sixteen, or about to be. I can see why he wrote you and I’d agree. This really is the Ministry’s job. Dumbledore is an old friend and I support him, but you need a functioning Auror force for what’s coming. Fudge has set us up for failure with allowing the force to dwindle.”

Bones made an angry expression. “He let Malfoy pull his strings.”

Moody grinned a little evilly. “That’s not going to be a problem now. Did you ever find out anything about those Death Eaters?”

“Nothing definitive,” Bones answered with a sigh. “Theory goes they were poisoned, but by the time we thought to check for that we couldn’t find a trace. That’s also the theory because Crabbe and Mulciber who aren’t dead were away from the others. That means that someone in Albus’s organization that you’re also a part of did it.”

Moody didn’t look bothered by the accusation. “Or someone on the force didn’t want them to talk; they had access too. Could be a sympathizer or a Death Eater who didn’t want them interrogated.”

“True, but I doubt we’ll ever really know and I’m not all that bothered they died either to tell the truth,” Bones admitted. “About Potter and his information, ignoring what Albus is or isn’t doing, what are your suggestions?”

“I think Potter has the right of it,” Moody said. “We need to go get the Death Eaters and those we can’t get a hold of, we need to make them public enemies to put pressure on them. I know you’d have trouble with the traditionalists in the Wizengamot, but we need a law that having the Dark Mark carries an automatic prison sentence in addition to whatever else they do.”

Moody looked at her seriously. “I also think we need to start questioning them with Veritaserum to make sure we get the truth about their intentions, and use that to find others and where they might be hiding and then go hunting. This is war and if we don’t squash it soon, we’re going to be in deep trouble.”

Bones sighed. “I don’t disagree with the sentiments, but some of that is illegal with our current laws.”

“Change them, even if only for the next year,” Moody barked. “Do you want to win or die? Remember 1981? If it wasn’t for the Potters, we would have lost. You have the guts, lass, use them. You can get a lot done in the first few months because people will want to see what you can do; use that opportunity.”

“There is a Wizengamot meeting next week. I know Fudge won’t keep his office,” she told him. “I’ll think about it.”

“You can do more than think,” he said as he rose from his seat. “Start by recruiting for a new Auror class now and make it large…”

“I don’t have the budget yet!” she complained.

“Let me finish!” He stared back with both eyes. “Get rid of the fluff; you know we have it. Use those salaries to pay for the new ones and buy equipment you need. After you’re Minister, transfer from the other departments to the Auror force as trainees for those that are younger or else use them to take over the desk jobs that Aurors presently hold to get those back on the street.

“Most importantly,” he growled, “clean out the department and have everyone make a loyalty oath to the Ministry and not to support usurpers. After you’re Minister, extend that to the rest of the Ministry workers. You can’t afford to have spies and those actively working to bring you down from the inside.”

Bones stood too. “Do you know the outrage I’d hear about if I did that?!”

“So what, tell them that if they don’t like it to go get another job,” Moody said with a predatory smile. “For the Wizengamot, if they don’t like it then tell them the Aurors are a little conflicted and if Death Eaters show up at a Wizengamot member’s home that they’re on their own. That should get them on your side.”

“Alastor, I can’t do that!” She told him pointedly.

He shrugged. “Maybe or maybe not, but I think it would motivate them to support you and would also probably solve some of your problems. Thanks!” he said as he held up the almost empty glass before he drained it. “Good luck, you’re going to need it.” He stumped over towards the fireplace with a chuckle at his comment. “Let me know if you need more advise; I appreciate it when you bring out the good stuff.”

Amelia stared at the fireplace even after he’d left. “That man!” she muttered while knowing she’d like to do what he’d suggested if she could get away with it.




The Ministry was extra crowded today as Ginny and Luna accompanied her father who was escorting them to their fourth day of OWL exams. “What’s all the fuss?” Ginny asked.

“Wizengamot meeting today,” he replied. “It’s why I’m dropping you off a little early; I need to be there.”

“I don’t think Minister Fudge will survive the Heliopaths,” Luna said.

Ginny watched her father give Luna such a look that she had to put a hand over her mouth to keep her giggle quiet. Then she heard a stray conversation between two people as they passed the two.

“Dad, did something happened to Madam Bones?” Ginny asked as they turned into a quieter corridor.

“The Daily Prophet said her house was attacked last night by You-Know-Who and destroyed, but she wasn’t there so she’s safe,” her father replied reassuringly as they came to the testing room. “Good luck, girls.”

“Thanks Dad!” Ginny replied, not worried about today for the subject was Charms, probably her best subject.




Harry looked out the window and was happy he was inside as a summer shower had been plaguing them for over two hours. It was also a Saturday, not that the day of the week really mattered all that much to him this summer.

Turning back to the pile he was currently working on, he eyed some of the larger items he could see, like an old fashioned bike with the large front wheel, another brass bed, and a mannequin of all things. That didn’t count the smaller things like more books and a bedpan with a reddish-brown stain on it that he really hoped was rust.

Not really wanting to know, he pulled his wand out and vanished the bedpan without further inspection. He’d noticed the other day that he’d cast some of these spells so many times that he barely even whispered them. The Vanishing and Levitation spells he could do silently now, making him wonder if he should practice more spells as he could see silent casting being a real advantage in combat.

An owl winged its way in and landed on the back of a chair before it fluttered its wings to try and dry off a bit. Harry pulled the damp envelope from the owl and said, “There’s a bowl of water on the table if you want it. You can stay here a bit or go to the owlery to rest.” The owl eyed Hedwig who was watching it closely before it took off and left.

Opening the envelope, Harry was pleased to see it was from Ginny, who was replying to him. He smiled when she said she thought she’d passed all of her exams but it’d be a few weeks before she found out for certain.

Her brother Bill was back from Egypt and had promised to teach her the basics of Occlumency when he had time in the evenings as he was now working at the main bank in Diagon Alley. Harry was glad for Bill helping her.

He smiled even more and laughed when he read that Fudge was out of office and Amelia Bones was now Minister for Magic. He was surprised that Bones’s house had been destroyed but she was alive as she’d been elsewhere. He wondered if his warning to her had helped with that.

Harry dropped into this comfortable sitting chair with a chuckle as he read that Bones had requested that Ogden remain as Chief Warlock, which he had been for the last year, instead of reinstating Albus Dumbledore to that position and it’d passed. Dumbledore had also not been returned to be Britain’s representative to the ICW. Therefore, his only official position was now Headmaster … in addition to his unofficial position as head of the Order of the Phoenix. Harry wondered how that would affect things and he hoped it helped.




Harry was looking at the potion in his hand with some doubt even if Dobby swore it would work. “You’re sure it will come out?”

“Yes, Master Harry. Old mistress used it at times to be in disguise as a spell will not change it back,” Dobby said as he held up another phial. “This will return your hair to its original color.”

“Very well.” A shirtless Harry went into the little bathhouse he had and with his head over the sink applied the potion all over his head, rubbing it in well. When he was done, he looked at himself in the mirror and had to admit as he turned and looked closely that he was now blond all over. It looked weird on him, but it was the start of a good disguise.

He turned and Dobby was right there with a small jar. With a sigh and trying not to think too much that he was using women’s makeup, he put the tip of his finger in the jar and rubbed it on his famous scar. The makeup changed to match his skin and it mostly filled in the scar making it very hard to see -- especially if he brushed his hair over his forehead.

Putting on a shirt, Harry grabbed his wand and the letter he’d received from Gringotts yesterday. He wasn’t chuffed to have to do this, but it needed to be done. With his broom and wearing his Invisibility Cloak, he flew very slowly to Hogsmeade. He hoped that his going in the early morning around sunrise would help him not be caught. Dobby would stay in the Room of Requirement to ensure it stayed like it was.

In Hogsmeade he used the public Floo to go to Diagon Alley. Instead of Gringotts, his first stop was a shop that sold eyeglasses. He had to wait a half hour for it to open, but he sat under his cloak and considered what he needed to do.

When the shop opened, he quickly took off his cloak and hurried into the shop, startling the proprietor as he’d just unlocked the door a moment before. “Err, hi, I need some new glasses,” Harry told him with his glasses in his hand, forcing him to walk slowly and squint.

“Come this way,” the man said.

An hour later, Harry had new glasses that allowed him to see better, had very slim sliver frames, and made him look different. He gladly paid the five Galleon fee before he left for Gringotts.

At the bank, he looked and was relieved to not see Bill Weasley, not sure if Bill would mention this to Dumbledore later or not. He presented the letter he’d received to a teller, who gave it to a younger Goblin with a command in their language. That Goblin motioned for Harry to follow him.

In an office, an old Goblin took the letter and the young Goblin left, closing the door behind him. “I’m Rokfist,” the Goblin said as he dug in a drawer of his desk, reaching his entire arm in before he pulled out a folder. Placing it on his desk, he started to pull out documents.

“Is that Sirius’s will? Harry asked hopefully.

“We’re a bank, Mr Potter. This is for the disbursement of Mr Black’s vaults.” Rokfist eyed him. “We don’t keep, distribute, or execute Wills -- no matter what some may think. Perhaps you’ll find his Will in his vault, but I wouldn’t know. Now, if you’ll sign here, we can turn them over to you and give you keys to the two vaults he had.”

Harry looked over the document quickly and saw it was as described, so he signed it. “Do I have a family vault here?”

The Goblin gave a toothy smile. “You do, but you’re not old enough to get in yet; you must be seventeen.” He handed two keys over.

“Does anyone else have keys for these vaults?” Harry asked.

“They might have had them before, but I doubt it,” Rokfist told him. “The keys are changed every time the owner changes and Mr Black didn’t have possession of the vaults for very long. Do you have any other questions I can answer?”

Harry understood that to mean these were brand new keys and he was the only one to have copies. “Can I combine vaults, like the smaller one into my vault?” he wondered aloud.

Rokfist reached into his drawer again, but not as far this time. “Sign this,” he said after he’d filled in a few blanks.

Harry read it and saw he was moving the contents of vault 711 into vault 796 (his) and releasing the first. As that was what he’d wanted, he signed it. “No more questions, but I’d like to go visit the two.”

The Goblin rang a bell then said, “We’ll move the contents of vault 711 this evening after hours, so you will be charged for today, but not for tomorrow.”

“Key please?” the younger Goblin requested.

Harry handed the two keys over as he said, “Thank you, Rokfist.” The Goblin only nodded.

The cart ride was as enjoyable as always. The smaller vault 711 was like his trust vault in size and contents -- money only. Vault 36 was apparently a high security vault behind a dragon! Harry was in awe and looked closely.

The Black family vault was probably four or five times the size of the other with built-in shelves. Searching the paperwork in there, he found a copy of Sirius’s Will. With a mixture of fear and anticipation, Harry read it quickly.

There was only one line about him, and that was Harry was Sirius’s heir should the man die childless. Looking at the top again, he read more slowly and noticed that it was written in August of 1980, or shortly after he was born.

The Will did say that Andromeda Tonks was the executor, so he assumed she would say what would happen to him. As she had yet to contact him, he had to assume she either didn’t know or had forgotten. For the moment, he decided to let the issue of his guardianship stay as it was (with him doing what he wanted) and if required, he could bring this Will out. He had control over the Black vaults at least so neither Bellatrix nor Narcissa could get anything out of them.

As he didn’t find anything special he wanted to take with him, he gathered some gold and left the vault and then the bank.

Since he didn’t want to go back to the school until it was dark, he decided go see Fred and George’s new store. He found it to be packed with people and he didn’t want to go into that, so he turned and left.

There was also #12 to check out. He walked into Muggle London and called for the Knight Bus. When Stan asked for his destination, he said, “#1 Grimmauld Place”. When Stan asked his name, he said, “#1 Grimmauld Place” and took a seat. Stan huffed but the bus dropped him off next as it was so close.

While he walked to #12, he thought about what he should do with Kreacher. He was torn between trying to show mercy because it was the right thing to do versus telling the elf to put his head on the wall for contributing to Sirius’s death.

Walking inside the front door and keeping quiet, he was about to call for Kreacher when he heard a noise. Pulling his wand out, he walked very quietly through the house towards the noise. When he heard it again, he was sure it was from the Parlor.

Creeping slowly, he paused by the doorway, took a deep breath, then spun around the door frame and growled, “Stupefy!”, pointing vaguely in the direction of a shape in the middle of the room. He got lucky in that it hit the man who dropped with a large thump and he was lucky that it had been only one man. Rolling the unconscious man over, he saw it was … “Dung! What are you doing here?” he asked to himself. Looking around he could see a sack with silver candle sticks, some gold jewelry, and who knew what else was in it.

“Kreacher! Come!” Harry bellowed.

The elf popped in and looked at the two of them. “What does nasty Master and nasty thief want?”

Harry closed his eyes for a moment, not sure if he was happy or sad that the elf acknowledged him as the master. “Kreacher, I order you to never insult me again. Now did you know the thief was in the house?”

The elf struggled, obvious wanting to insult Harry but his magic wouldn’t let him. “Not today, but he has tried before.”

Harry searched Dung and other than his wand and a money bag without much in it, Harry found nothing of value. Harry did remove those two things and dropped them on the floor. “Kreacher, are you capable of taking Dung here somewhere else, like dropping him in the middle of Knockturn Alley?”

“Yes,” Kreacher said with a hint of enthusiasm, or so it sounded like that.

“Please do that now and then return.” Harry took a seat and watched the elf grab Dung’s arm and then pop away.

“What to do?” he muttered and considered the problem. An elf was a valuable and useful resource, but he hated this one and the elf probably hated him -- sort of like him and Snape he supposed.

Kreacher popped back in. “It is done.”

“Can you changed the house wards so that only you and I can come in and out?”

“Yes, master.”

“Dobby, come!” Harry ordered and Dobby popped in. The two elves glared at each other with loathing. “Both of you stop, no fighting. Kreacher, I want you to change the wards so no one can get in this house except for me and Dobby and yourself. Go.”

Kreacher grumbled but left to return a moment later while the other two waited. He popped back in and said, “It is done.”

“Excellent,” Harry said with a smile. “Here are your new orders, Kreacher. You are to clean the house to the standard your former Mistress would have required. You are also never to leave this house for any reason unless I call you to me. You are not to fight with Dobby.

“Dobby, since today is Tuesday, every Tuesday starting with today, you are to go shopping and buy enough food for Kreacher to eat for one week and leave it in the kitchen of this house since he can’t leave. You are to also ask him if he needs anything else, like cleaning supplies, and go get what he needs and bring them here. You are not to fight with Kreacher, and you are to stay here for as short a time as possible.

“Do each of you understand me?” Harry received two yeses. “Very good. Dobby return to where you were and make sure the room I need is still there. I’ll be back a little after dark.” Dobby left and Harry stood. He’d take a quick tour to see what else was in the house.

After the tour that had shown him very little but took up an hour, he left the house and walked to the end of the block where he called the Knight Bus to take him back to Diagon Alley. He didn’t go in yet, but he wasted time in Muggle London until it was getting dark. Using the Floo, he went back to Hogsmeade and then flew on his broom to his room where Dobby was waiting with his dinner.

“You can go shopping for Kreacher,” he told the elf, handing over some coins. “Be sure he has enough to eat, don’t starve him. I don’t know what I’ll do with him, but I’ll figure it out later.” Dobby agreed and left.

It had been a long day for him and he hoped he didn’t have to go out like that again any time soon. He did decide on a task for tomorrow though.




As usual, Ginny was awakened by Hedwig as the owl flew into her room to give her letters privately, though this time it was with a small box. Ginny petted the owl and told her, “Rest up. Let me see what he sent before I give you my letter.” She pushed her glass of water from last night over for the owl to drink out of; she’d take the glass down to wash shortly.

Opening the box, she found a short note.

Ginny,

Thank you for the news, that’s all very interesting and gives me some hope for a better outcome. Not much going on here other than I found Sirius’s Will at Gringotts. It was written back when I was born and only says I’m his heir. Based on the other information I can guess who my guardian really is now, but since I haven’t been contacted, I’m going to continue on like I am and see what happens. At least it’s not Dumbledore.

I’ve also locked up #12 so you might hear some fun stories about that. I’ll explain more when I see you, whenever that is. I haven’t figure out if I’ll come see your family at the end of Aug or wait until the train on Sep 1.

You can decide about what’s in this box and what you want to do with it. I’m cleaning up where I am and found these clothes. A few fit me and looked decent enough that I’m keeping them. The ones I sent are obviously for girls and look reasonably modern. I tried to pick out ones that are about yours and Luna’s size. You can share with her, or give them away, or anything else you want. I’ve already vanished all the old and hideous ones already. I’d say to consider this a birthday present, but I’ll keep looking for one of those here.

Harry

She snorted and smiled, laughing on the inside. Dumping the box of doll-sized clothes, she looked them over. Several of them didn’t look too bad and she’d keep them if they fit her. The rest, she supposed she’d offer them to Luna, vanishing whatever was left.

Enlarging them, she did find a few she liked. With the appropriate charms, she gave those a good cleaning before she put on the dark blue blouse that was her size.

Going down to breakfast, Ginny walked into the kitchen and filled a plate directly from the pans on the stove.

“Where did you get that blouse from?” her mother asked. “I don’t remember buying that one for you the other day.”

Ginny smiled and decided to help Harry a little more. “Harry sent it and a few others to me. He said he found them in the house he’s staying out and thought I might like them.”

“He’s written you?” her mother gasped. “What else did he say? Is he really all right? Tell me!”

“He said he’s fine, Mum, and he’s apparently staying busy. He also said he’d see us at the end of the summer or at school, he hasn’t decided which. It was a really short letter.” She didn’t mention the other letters she’d already received as she thought Harry would prefer she didn’t.

As her mother hurried off to contact someone, Ginny took a seat and ate her breakfast. While she’d prefer Harry was over here where she could talk to him, she could wait another five or so weeks; she’d already waited over a year for him.




Harry had his feet up on his desk as he looked over his Charms book for the coming year, doing the reading assignment. It was his last class to do this for. He’d decided to skip the Potions assignment as he never wanted another lesson with Snape again and, honestly, Potions didn’t excite him -- sorry Mum, he mentally apologized.

As he flipped a page, he had a new visitor: Ron’s owl Pig. Harry had no desire to chase the little thing that was flittering around him, so he picked up his wand and silently did a gentle Summoning spell on the owl, catching it with both hands as best he could without hurting it.

“If you’d act like a normal owl I wouldn’t have to do that,” Harry told it, causing the own to hoot excitedly. He removed the letter and told the owl, “Rest if you need to and return when you want. I have nothing to send with you now.” The owl hooted again and then flew away.

Looking at his name on the envelope and recognizing the writing, he knew it was time to pay the piper as the saying went; Hermione had borrowed Ron’s owl. As he read the letter through, he grimaced a few times. Even Ron’s reply back to him hadn’t been this bad. Considering how scathing the letter was, Harry was glad Hermione couldn’t do magic over the summer as he was sure this would have been a Howler otherwise.

Closing his book he considered what she said about him not obeying Dumbledore and therefore not being safe. It also seemed she hadn’t forgiven him yet for not showing up for the train and making her worry. There wasn’t much he could do about the last part as he’d already apologized for that, other than do it again, but the first part deserved a targeted response. He considered his words for a few minutes before he picked up a quill.

Dear Hermione,

Again, you have my sincerest apologies for not meeting you on the train and causing you worry. My absence had nothing to do with trying to hurt your or anyone else’s feelings. I was merely trying to avoid returning to the Dursleys and couldn’t think of any other way to accomplish that.

As for not minding Dumbledore and returning to the Dursleys, I will not apologize for that. I have two things for you to consider carefully.

First, Dumbledore is not my guardian; therefore I don’t have to do what he wants outside of school in the summer just like you don’t have to. Does he dictate what you do in the summer? No, and nor should he for me either. No matter how wise you think he is, he still makes mistakes.

Second, consider the situation that you don’t have your parents. Yes, stop and think about that for a moment. Then consider you being forced to live with people who hate you -- yes hate! -- only because you’re magical. I haven’t told anyone else this and I expect you to keep it to yourself, but they tried to beat the magic out of me. They starved me. They locked me in my room and let me out only once per day. They put bars on my window and locks on my door that only opened from the outside. My aunt and uncle encouraged my much larger cousin to beat me up regularly, and my cousin would get his friends to help hunt me down and beat me up too. My aunt tried to hit me in the head with a frying pan multiple times over the years. No, I’m not making any of that up and I’m actually giving you the milder versions of the stories. Would you want to go live with people who treated you like that? Honestly?

I’m tired of that and won’t take it anymore. I’m also now old enough to realize I don’t have too. I have some place safe to live for the summer so I’m doing that. I’ll see you on the first of Sep.

Harry

Harry sealed it in an envelope and gave it to Hedwig. “Take this to Hermione, please, and don’t wait around. I don’t know how she’ll react, but you probably don’t want to be there for it.” Hedwig gave a soft sound and then flew away.

A small part of him hoped it would open her eyes to what he’d been through and even make her cry as she realized how wrong she’d been. All right, he really didn’t want to make her cry, but he really did want to make her understand that Dumbledore wasn’t always correct nor was she.

Back to index


Chapter 7: Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Harry opened letters with birthday wishes from his friends on the day he turned sixteen.

Reading Hermione’s very normal birthday card, he realized he hadn’t heard back from her on the subject of his staying elsewhere this summer, so he assumed she must have understood his points -- finally.

Ron, Neville, and Luna had sent him birthday letters also. He’d sent a card to Neville the day before as well. He knew Ron’s birthday was in March as they celebrated at school, but he really needed to find out when Luna’s was.

Ginny’s was the longest and most amusing. Apparently the Order had tried to enter #12 and found they couldn’t enter in any way: door, Floo, or even a window. She’d heard from Bill about how Fletcher had been found beaten up and practically stripped in Knockturn Alley, though Fletcher wouldn’t say how that had happened or what he’d been doing before. She’d also mentioned that she was making progress on Occlumency with Bill, but it was slow going, mainly because Bill didn’t have much time for it. She’d also thanked him for the clothes since she kept about a half-dozen pieces. Luna had only taken one piece she liked. The rest had been donated to a Muggle charity in their local town.

Dobby had surprised him and brought him a chocolate cake with a candle on top. Harry was glad he had the little guy around and Dobby seemed to be happy to work with Harry on the room, so it was a win-win in his book.

Perhaps the biggest surprise though was when Harry realized he hadn’t heard from Remus Lupin at all this summer. No letter asking where he was and no birthday card too. Harry wondered why that was and if Lupin was really a friend of the family.

After some thought and considering Lupin had never written him in the two years after the man had stopped teaching, the only thing that made sense was the Lupin was really a friend of his parents and Sirius and not a friend of the Potter family. That was a little sad to consider but it was Lupin’s choice. Harry decided he wouldn’t expect anything more from him and he’d let Lupin live his own life.




While Ginny was a little sad they couldn’t have had a birthday party for Harry the previous day, everything changed when there was a knock on the back door and her mum opened it to find Professor McGonagall there.

“Professor, please come in,” Molly told her. “This is a surprise.”

The older woman walked in looking as she usually did. “It’s something of a surprise for me too. Ms Weasley, I need to talk with you, although,” she looked at Molly, “perhaps you should send for Ronald as well since I don’t see him.”

A quick yell up the stairs brought her brother down, who was also surprised to see his teacher in the summer. He took the letter held out to him.

“I didn’t see the need to send these when I was coming over anyway,” McGonagall said before she looked at Ginny. “Ms Weasley, I didn’t expect this, but here are your OWL results also.”

Ginny noted the woman actually smiled at her. Ron had already torn his open and had a very pleased look. Despite thinking she’d done well, she couldn’t help but feel a little trepidation and she noticed her hands were shaking slightly as she opened her results. With a deep breath she finally looked. “I did it!” she shouted, “I did it!”

Her mother, who’d just finished hugging her brother, came over to hug her too. “I’m so happy for you, dear.” Ron still didn’t look happy for her, but he’d stopped complaining a week ago.

“I was very surprised to see results for you,” McGonagall said. “How did you accomplish that without asking for help from the teachers? Even Ms Lovegood had to ask Professor Flitwick about a few topics.”

“Did she pass too?” Ginny said excitedly.

“She did.” McGonagall gave her an expectant look.

“It was a lot of late nights and a few questions to the older students,” Ginny explained, knowing she couldn’t mention Betty as being the “older student”.

McGonagall didn’t look like she believed her, but didn’t continue the questioning. “Since you did not follow the normal path, I suppose we should have the usual career and NEWT discussion now. May I borrow your living room, Molly?”

“Of course,” her mother replied. “I’ll bring tea in a moment.” Ron returned to his room while McGonagall and Ginny went to the living room.

“Have you considered what you’d like to do for a career?” McGonagall asked as she pulled out a small box and enlarged it. “I have various brochures you can look at if needed.”

“I was hoping for a career in Quidditch with the Harpies, then after that something with Charms,” Ginny answered. “I would think I have an inside track to work with Fred and George if I want. A lot of their products use Charms.”

Her mother came in with a tea set and handed a cup out to everyone.

McGonagall fished in the box for a moment and pulled a brochure out. “Here’s a list of careers that heavily favor those good with Charms. I’ll leave this with you to look at to see if any of them interest you also. You’re Outstanding on that exam shows that you should do well there. You’ll need to fill out the form for what NEWT classes you’d like to take. Please send that to me by the 20th. Do you have any questions for me?

“Will I move to the sixth years’ dorm room?” Ginny asked.

“Yes, that would be normal. Do you expect any issues there?” McGonagall asked before sipping her tea and giving a nod to Molly.

“No, Hermione is probably my best friend there and I’ve never had any issues with Lavender or Parvati,” Ginny replied. She considered her next question carefully. “Is it correct for me to assume Professor Snape will continue to teach Potions?”

McGonagall looked surprised. “Yes. It’s interesting you should ask that because he was almost moved to Defense Against the Dark Arts, but Professor Dumbledore was unable to convince Horace Slughorn to return and teach Potions.”

“Professor Slughorn is still around?” Molly asked in surprise. “I would have thought he’d be off on the continent; he was always going on about his plans to do more there.”

“I don’t have all the details,” McGonagall said a little confidentially, “but the Headmaster talked to him here in Britain last week.” Looking at Ginny she asked, “Why do you ask?”

Ginny considered what to say and decided to go with the truth. “Because I’d prefer not to have another lesson with him. I’ll assume you’ve heard that before?”

McGonagall sighed but nodded.

“Who will be teaching Defense then?” Ginny asked. “Surely the person would have to be better than Umbridge.”

McGonagall sniffed. “That would be a very easy standard to exceed. To answer your question, I don’t believe the Headmaster has picked someone yet. All of the other teachers will resume the subject they had last year.”

Ginny sipped her tea as she thought. “I don’t think I have any other questions for now, but I’ll need a few days to think about what classes I want. I’ll send my form in with Ron’s.”

“Very good, Ms Weasley.” McGonagall drained the rest of her tea and stood. “Thank you, Molly.”

When the professor had gone, her mother said, “What were your scores?”

“They came out exactly as I predicted.” Ginny handed the results over. “An Outstanding in Charms, Transfiguration, and Defense, plus an Exceeds Expectations in everything else other than Astronomy.”

“I’d hoped you’d do better in that one,” her mother said a little disappointed, “but your father will be pleased to see this.” She hugged her daughter again.

“Thanks, Mum!” Ginny went upstairs to see what Ron was taking next year and then to write Harry and Hermione.




Ginny was having a pretty good day, considering. Her entire family minus Percy and Charlie was coming this evening (Bill said he would be late but he’d be there), plus Neville, Luna, and Hermione were here for her birthday party. Only Harry was missing and she knew why.

She didn’t like it, but she agreed with him that if he turned up it was likely to stir up issues. He’d also pointed out that it was a little hard for him to move around. Still, she wished he was here. Well, she only had to wait about three more weeks to see him.

Since he’d said it was hard for him to get out, she’d wondered how he’d managed to get this lovely box of chocolates he’d sent her. It’d taken a moment before she remembered about Dobby then it was obvious.

As they were all talking and having fun, Bill Apparated in and he’d brought a visitor, a stunningly beautiful young woman that all of the teens instantly recognized. Looking around, it was obvious all the women had reacted negatively to her, although Hermione’s was the shortest. For Bill’s sake, she pasted a smile on her face.

“Hello, everyone,” Bill greeted them. “This is Fleur Delacour, a co-worker at Gringotts. We recently started dating.”

“Yes, we remember her from the Triwizard Tournament,” Hermione replied first. “Bonjour!”

Fleur actually looked a little withdrawn when she arrived, but smiled more now. “Thank you, it is good to be here.” Her accent was still there but less than from over a year ago.

As Bill introduced her around, Ginny watched the reactions and found some of them amusing. Her mother was obviously restraining herself, not happy with the girl coming but probably more unhappy with Bill dating her. Ron looked smitten again. The twins were doing better, but they couldn’t stop glancing at her more frequently than they really should have. Neville coped by just not looking at her. She wondered how Harry would have fared, considering he’d already had to be around her more in his fourth year.

When Fleur went in the house for a few minutes, Ginny grabbed Bill’s arm and pulled him over to the side.

“Happy Birthday!” he told her with a smile. “Good day?”

“Mostly, I wished Harry was here, but I guess we can’t have everything.” She fixed him with a look and asked snarkily, “I guess she’s why you’ve been cancelling our Occlumency lessons the past couple of weeks?”

Bill actually looked embarrassed. He hem’d and haw’d for a moment before he finally said, “Yes. I’m sorry about that.”

“I suppose I can understand,” she told him begrudgingly, “but I’d really like to get this skill down and I leave for school in three weeks. Can you at least keep up the lessons that long? You’ll have all the time you want with her after that.”

Bill nodded and looked around before looking back at her. “Ginny, you’ve always been straight with me. Can you tell me why you and all the others have such an obvious reaction to Fleur?”

Ginny snorted. “Do you really not know?”

He shook his head.

She looked at him for a moment. “All right, let’s try this. When Harry was one and eleven, he drove off a Dark Lord. When he was twelve he slew a fifty foot basilisk with a sword. When he was thirteen, he could cast a corporeal Patronus and drove off about a hundred Dementors. When he was fourteen he won the Triwizard Tournament against thee others who were three years older than he was -- including your new girlfriend. This last year, with the help of a few friends who hadn’t finished Hogwarts, he stood up to twelve Death Eaters. Gee Bill, why haven’t you done all of those things too? How do you feel when compared to Harry?” she asked sarcastically.

He looked at her with an open mouth and awe.

“Yeah, you don’t really feel you can compare and you feel inadequate, don’t you?” She pointed out perhaps a little unkindly. “Not only is she beautiful, but she has magic to ensure that. I’ll do my best to be polite when she’s around, but being friends with her is going to be hard. I’ll see you Monday evening for our next lesson.”

Ginny walked away to go visit with Hermione and Luna some more. The older girl had been happy for Ginny to join her in their classes and dorm room, for which Ginny was thankful for. She was even more thankful Hermione hadn’t pestered her endlessly with questions on how she’d done it, which Ginny attributed to Hermione being distracted by Harry’s disappearance.




Harry looked around the large room and smiled to himself, feeling a great sense of accomplishment. He also felt better physically and emotionally at the end of this summer than for any other summer he could remember. Sure, he’d cleaned only about two-thirds of the room, but there was a marked difference. The head house-elf had also come by yesterday and praised Harry for his work. Apparently working hard and doing a lot of cleaning had impressed the head elf.

Harry also felt much more confident in his spell work now, having had plenty of time to work on it.

He looked at Dobby. “Thanks for all your help this summer. Will you be good here?”

“Yes, Master Harry. I can work in the kitchens until you need me. I’ll take care of your trunk too,” Dobby told him.

Harry looked down at his new three compartment trunk. He’d found it in the room along with some homework from back in the 1930’s, so its owner was long gone. His original trunk was at #12 and he’d use this one going forward.

“If you’ll meet me at the Shrieking Shack in a few minutes?”

“Yes, Master Harry, Dobby will be there.”

Harry mounted his broom with his Invisibility Cloak on and left the Room of Requirement for only the second time this summer. As before, he flew into the sunrise. A few minutes later he was at his destination where he removed his cloak and Dobby appeared with his book bag. Handing his broom over and taking the bag but keeping the cloak in a pocket, Harry walked into town to use the public Floo connection.

A few minutes later he was in Diagon Alley before he headed into Muggle London for breakfast and to walk to King’s Cross Station since it wasn’t overly far away and he had several hours.

At the train station, he pulled his Cloak back out and put it on in the protected area by the portal to the magical platform before he went through. Since it was only a little after ten, he easily walked across the empty platform and boarded the waiting train with no one stopping him.

It wasn’t a surprise to him that Hermione was the first of his friends to board the train. He removed his Cloak as she came to his cabin, looking in to find a place to sit. Hurrying in she gave him a hug and held on. “I’m so sorry, Harry, I never realized how bad you had it growing up. I hope you don’t mind, but I talked it over with my mother who explained a few things to me. She promised to keep it to herself though.”

Harry sighed as they disengaged. “Please don’t tell anyone else here, all right?”

“Of course, I promise,” she told him. “Are you otherwise all right?”

“I am,” he told her as he put her trunk up before they sat. “It was fairly relaxing, I got all of my reading for homework done very early and even had time to read the first half of my sixth year books, not to mention I had enough to eat and didn’t have people yelling at me. Other than spending time with friends, I couldn’t have asked for anything more.”

She looked down at his mentioning eating enough, but she looked back up at the end. “I’m glad. I had a good summer too. We traveled to Ireland and spent a couple of weeks there and it was lovely. Oh, did you hear about Ginny’s news?”

“You mean where she’ll be joining us in our classes? Yes,” he answered with a smile. “I think that’ll be interesting.”

Hermione’s looked turned a bit more calculating. “Do you like her, as in fancy her?”

Harry leaned back in his seat. “I’ve been asking myself that question. I think I need to talk to her to be sure of my answer … but maybe,” he grinned. “We have things in common and most importantly she treats me like ‘just Harry’ now.”

“Unlike when she was ten?” Hermione teased, making him blush a little.

“Yeah, she’s grown up since then, sort of like you have too, I’ve noticed.” He looked her over and caused her to blush slightly.

There was a knock and the door opened. “May I join you?” Luna asked.

“Sure.” Harry practically jumped up and helped her with her trunk while Luna took a seat on Hermione’s side but sat next to the window.

Neville showed up. “Hi everyone.” He put his trunk up and sat next to Harry but next to the door.

They’d barely made themselves comfortable when Ginny and then Ron joined them. Harry looked at his watch. “Wow, ten minutes to spare. What has the world come to?” he joked.

Ginny laughed and then handed her trunk to Harry before she sat across from Luna. Harry good naturedly put her trunk up. “Hi Ron!” he called out before he sat between Neville and Ginny.

“Harry!” Ron greeted him before he put his trunk up too and sat next to Hermione, across from Neville. “Glad you could make this train,” he teased, causing the rest to laugh. “By the way, where did you stay?”

“Some place very safe,” Harry joked back but reached under his bench for his bag. “I have something for most of you. You can think of them as birthday presents.”

Opening his book bag, he pulled out two books. “Someone told me these are rare so I was hoping you don’t already have them.” He handed a book on plants to Neville and a book on creatures to Luna.

“No, I’ve never seen this before,” Neville said, taking the old book with care.

Luna took the old book. “I’ve heard of this but never read it; thank you, Harry.”

“By the way, Luna, when is your birthday?” he asked.

“May third,” she answered.

The next book he pulled out he handed to Ron. “I know you’ve read this one, but if you look you’ll find this is a first edition.”

“A first edition Quidditch through the Ages! This must have cost a fortune!” Ron struggled as he looked at his friend.

Harry could tell he was about to try to hand it back. “Didn’t cost me a thing, so keep it. I found all of these when cleaning where I stayed and they would have been thrown away.”

Pulling out the largest book yet, he handed it to Hermione. “It’s not a first edition, but I thought a third edition was rare enough you’d like it.”

Hermione’s eyes went wide. “Seriously, a third edition of Hogwarts: A History?” She grabbed it from him and checked it out almost reverently.

Harry looked right and said, “Sorry, Ginny, but you’ve already received one present and I didn’t know what kind of book to get you. If you have a preference, I’ll see what I can find next time I return.”

Ginny looked at him for a moment and considered several funny ideas she could say that would probably embarrass him and be fun for her, but decided this wasn’t the time for that. “An old Charms book,” she answered finally, “that’s my favorite subject.”

“I’ll see what I can find next time.” He looked at her for a long moment as she looked at him, her smile growing slightly as if she was aware she was making him uncomfortable and found it amusing. “Err, about you questions…” He wasn’t sure how to fully answer it here in front of the rest of his friends.

“We could see if we could find an empty cabin to discuss them, or maybe just wait until this evening,” she suggested, still smiling at him.

“Maybe this evening after the feast?” he suggested.

Ginny nodded. “That will do.”

Harry was grateful he’d handed out the presents first as they’d been a great distraction for the other four.

“I do have some interesting late news,” she spoke out a little louder and the others all looked at her. “I’ve been having Bill teach me a few things,” she looked at Harry who gave her a knowing look, “and he has a new girlfriend, Fleur Delacour.”

“From the Tournament?” Harry asked surprised.

“Yes, that one,” Ginny confirmed. “Between her and his latest job, he’s had trouble coming to see me. But his job,” she smiled now, “affects all of us at least a little.”

“What?” Hermione asked, her book forgotten for the moment.

“McGonagall hired him to come look at the school and he determined there really was a curse on the Defense course.” Ginny had to pause at the surprised exclamations. “It was something like a Taboo. Every time the name Dumbledore was said it strengthened it. He thought it would have taken a full year without that name said before the curse would have fallen on its own.”

“That’s very clever,” Hermione said, “as everyone says his name all the time. Did Bill figure out how it got there?”

“That part was easy,” Ginny said with a snort. “Riddle or You-Know-Who did it, probably back in the seventies since that’s when we started having new teachers every year, or so he told me.”

“So we might have the new teacher for more than a year?” Harry asked.

“Probably won’t have this one back next year,” Ginny replied. “I was told that whoever it was was hired at the last minute.”

“Still, if we ever could find another good one like Lupin,” Harry said as he considered the idea.

Everyone nodded in agreement on both the “if” and that Lupin had been good.

– – –

As the group entered Hogwarts, Harry considered it very unusual that Draco Malfoy had not stopped by to insult them on the train ride. Harry thought that was a first. He’d found “the ferret” waiting for a carriage ride a little in front of his group and watched the boy. He was acting very aloof and kept rubbing his hip with is arm -- very weird.

Harry sat at the Gryffindor table and noticed that Ginny sat next to him, as if she didn’t want him to get away. She didn’t pester him or anything, she was just present. He enjoyed her presence and friendship, but he wasn’t used to it just yet.

He also noticed that Dedalus Diggle, from the Order of the Phoenix, was sitting at the head table. Sure enough, when Dumbledore started the feast he introduced the man as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for the year. He looked as old as Dumbledore so perhaps he knew a few things; he certainly couldn’t be any worse than Umbridge, Lockhart, or Quirrell.

As the feast ended, he was surprised to see McGonagall hurry down and speak to the Prefects before the fifth year Prefects led the first years up to Gryffindor Tower. McGonagall also motioned him to her. They took up the end of the line of Gryffindors, with Ginny and Neville talking and going in front of them.

“Mr Potter, a word please?” the Professor called out. She walked beside him and spoke quietly. “Professor Dumbledore would like a word with you. He had hoped to make that tonight, but I informed him you were unavailable until tomorrow. Therefore, you need to speak with him after dinner tomorrow evening. His password is ‘apple pie’.”

Harry just blinked at her for a moment while they walked slowly. “A few questions if I can. Why am I unavailable this evening?”

“Because we’re about to have a house meeting and it’s late enough as it is,” she told him.

“Really? We’ve never had one before,” he pointed out.

McGonagall cleared her throat lightly and lowered her voice a little more. “Yes, well, I haven’t had time before. However, now that Professor Dumbledore is only Headmaster, I’ve returned the duties I had been covering for him when he didn’t have time.”

Harry had never considered that before, but it made a lot of sense. “Err, I’m glad you’ll have more free time.”

She actually smiled. “I am too. Oh, I nearly forgot. Ms Bell has decided she wanted more time to revise for her NEWT exams this year. Would you be willing to take this on?” She held out the Quidditch Captain’s badge.

“Yes I would,” he said a little eagerly and took it.

“It will also give you access to the Prefect’s bath if you want to use that,” she told him. “The current password is ‘oak leaf cluster’.”

“Thank you,” he told her and admired the badge for a moment before he pinned it on his robes.

“Do you know why he wants to talk to me?” Harry asked.

McGonagall gave him a judging look, as if trying to figure him out. “I suspect it’s about this past summer, but he didn’t inform me.”

Harry wasn’t happy about that, but what could he really say since she didn’t know.

“If you’re wondering,” she added after a moment, “I think that as long as you were safe almost anywhere else was a better place for you. I met your aunt once when I took the letter to your mother when she was eleven, and I watched your aunt for most of the day before you were dropped off there. I can say that I wasn’t impressed with Petunia either time.”

Harry couldn’t help his smile. “Thank you for telling me that.”

When they all were in Gryffindor Tower, McGonagall moved over to stand a few steps up on the girls’ stairs. “Welcome to Hogwarts, first years. I’m the head of this house and can answer questions any of you have.

“Prefects, please raise your hands.

“First years, if you can’t find me or would prefer to ask another student, please see one of these Prefects. Mr Potter?” she called out and he raised his hand. “Mr Potter is Quidditch captain this year and has the same status as a Prefect, so you can ask him questions too.”

That generated some whisperings, causing Harry to feel a little embarrassed and lower his hand.

“For all students, I’ll have more free time this year and so I will be a more active head of house. For example, I’ll be here in the common room every Thursday evening from seven to nine, as well as at other times as needed.

“Are there any questions?” She looked over her lions.

“Will you help with lessons from subjects other than Transfiguration?” a seventh year asked.

“I will,” she answered, “or at least where I can. Especially for those in the upper years, you might be better off seeing the professor for that subject, but I will help as much as I can.” When no one else asked anything, she bid them good night and left.

“That’s going to be different,” Ginny said from next to his right elbow, surprising him. “Congratulations too. When did you get the badge?”

Ron pushed his way over. “Harry, why didn’t you say something before?”

Harry snorted as he looked at his two friends. “I just received it like five minutes ago. Total surprise, mate.”

Hermione and Neville walked over too. “Congratulation,” each of them told him.

Katie Bell walked over and smiled at him. “I’m glad you took that. I really don’t think I have time this year, as much as I’d like to do it.”

“It’s no problem,” he told her. “Not sure when we’ll have tryouts, probably in a couple of weeks.”

“I look forward to it,” Ron said eagerly.

Ginny nudged him gently and raised one eyebrow when he looked at her.

“Oh, right, I guess we do have time now. Sorry everyone, I -- err, I need to have a conversation with someone.” Harry moved to the left around a few people. When he was to the portrait hole, he noticed Ginny was right behind him.

Outside, he looked at her. “I guess the nearest empty room?”

“Sure. There’s one not too far that way,” she pointed.

A minute later they were in the room by themselves and Ginny was looking at him expectantly and smiling slightly -- knowingly.

“I’ve considered your questions, at least some. Do you want to talk first, or--”

Ginny cut him off by stepping forward into his personal space, standing only a few inches from him. “How about we take care of what you owe me first, then we can talk. That may give us something more to talk about too.”

“Err, all right,” he answered nervously.

Ginny didn’t look nervous as she stepped forward and put her arms around his neck and pulled them together, his arms automatically going around her. With the tilt of her head she kissed him.

Harry felt her body pressed against him, her arms around his neck then she was kissing him. He was barely conscious of a hand threading it’s way its way into his hair so he couldn’t get away, not that he wanted to. As they continued to kiss, his hands moved to her back and pulled her to him, not that she could get any closer physically.

When their lips broke apart, they rested their foreheads against each other for a moment.

“That was everything I’d hoped it would be,” Ginny said a little breathlessly. “Again?” she asked hopefully.

Harry was breathing hard too, but he moved and kissed her this time, one of his hands moving up a threading into her hair as if to prevent her from getting away.

Hands continues to roam on the other’s back for each of them after the second kiss.

“I was wondering about … err, never mind,” Harry said slowly, still trying to catch his breath. “You do know that things can be dangerous around me. Are you really sure you want to?”

“I’m fine with a little danger,” she told him, “I think you’re worth it. I think you need to actually ask though.”

Harry smiled at her. “Will you be my girlfriend, Ginny Weasley?”

“Yes,” she answered softly before she stretched up a little, grabbed his head with both hands and kissed him again.

Harry held her to him tightly so she couldn’t get away as they kissed for the third time.

When they broke apart breathing heavily this time, Ginny put her head on his shoulder to catch her breath and to talk to him. “That was so lovely, I’d like to do that all night, but we should probably go back.”

He kissed her forehead. “I agree about going back although I’d prefer to stay here with you.”

She giggled slightly before pulling back. “I read some romance novels recently and I know what we should be doing next if we were older … well, older and ready for it.”

“Ginny!” he sort of snorted in surprise.

“Yeah, I know, we won’t ready for that for some time, but that doesn’t mean part me doesn’t want to,” she teased him. “Come on.” With effort, she pushed back and he let her move although he grabbed her hand.

She smiled, as did he, and they walked back to the Tower.

When they entered the common room, several people stared at them. Harry snorted in mirth, “You’d think they’d never seen anyone hold hands before.”

“I think it’s the timing,” she told him with her own silly grin. “We should probably go up to our own rooms.”

“Probably,” he agreed and walked her over to the girls’ stairs. “One more?”

“Of course, good night, Harry.”

Their kiss this time was much shorter in deference to an audience being present.

Harry went up to his dorm room where he found Dean and Seamus already there. He wondered where Ron and Neville were only to find the pair coming in behind him.

“So my sister, huh?” Ron asked with a sigh.

Neville nodded and gave him a smile. “It’s about time.”

“Why does everyone keep saying that?” Harry said with some exasperation before he turned to Ron. “Yes, Ron. Is that going to be a problem?”

“I don’t think I’m allowed an opinion on that, or so it was explained to me that way recently,” Ron said as he moved over to his bed. “Can you at least try not to do things where I’m around? You know, beyond holding hands?”

Harry chuckled. “Yeah, I can do that although I can’t speak for Ginny.”

“You and Ginny, huh? Seamus asked. ”About time, Potter.“

“It is about time,” Dean said, trying to hold his laughter in.

“Damn it! Will all of you quit it?!” Harry tried to stare them down but was only laughed at.

– – –

In the girl’s sixth year dorm room, Ginny found herself to be the first there. Turning around, she saw the other three hurrying in after her.

“I wondered who the other trunk was for,” Lavender said. “How’d you do it?” Parvati looked eager for the answer too.

“A lot of extra study so I could take my OWLs at the beginning of July at the Ministry,” Ginny answered.

“It’s about time you got together with Harry,” Parvati told her with a gleam.

Ginny couldn’t help but to return the look. “I know, it’s been hard to wait on him. He’s a little clueless about girls, so I had to nudge him a little.”

“A little?” Parvati exclaimed incredulously.

Ginny realized what the girl was thinking about. “Yeah, just a little now. You also caught him at a bad time back in fourth year, I think. Did any of the fourth year boys then have a good clue about girls? Neville took me and I can say that he didn’t back then.”

Lavender nodded sagely. “You have a good point; they were just starting to really notice us as girls.”

“I suppose,” Parvati agreed, looking like she wasn’t sure she agreed, but she wasn’t going to argue it either.

“I’ve got six brothers,” Ginny reminded them. “None of them were all that clueful until about fifth year or even later. Girls are just better.” She looked at the other two and all three started giggling. Hermione only smiled tolerantly.

“It’s good to have you here,” Lavender said and gave her a hug.

“It is,” Parvati agreed, also giving her a hug. “We look forward to stories about Harry too. Is he a good kisser?”

Apparently she wasn’t too upset about her date with Harry any more, Ginny thought. “That works really well for the two of us,” she answered with a smile, drawing “ooh’s” from the two.

When the two headed into the bathroom, Hermione said softly. “I can’t believe you connected with them so quickly.”

Ginny walked over still with her smile. “I’m more willing to talk and gossip than you are. I don’t think it’s any more than that. You should try it more instead of avoiding it.”

Hermione looked dubious, so Ginny shrugged and started unpacking. She really looked forward to the year, although it was mostly because of Harry.

Back to index


Chapter 8: Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The next morning on the first day of classes, Ginny was pleased to be going down to the Great Hall not only with her friends, but her classmates as well. She slipped her hand into Harry’s and was pleased when he smiled at her and held on while he continued talking to Ron.

In the Great Hall, McGonagall came by and handed out timetables to each of them. She looked at Harry’s and they compared. They had Defense first today and Charms this afternoon. Transfiguration was tomorrow as was Care of Magical Creatures. They shared those four classes. Finally, she had Arithmancy while he had decided to continue Herbology.

“Why are you doing Herbology?” she asked him.

“I’d probably be taking Potions, but I really didn’t want to put up with Snape anymore,” he told her.

Ginny nodded. “I know. I stopped taking it for the same reason. Ron, are you taking potions?”

“No,” he managed around a mouthful of eggs.

“Is any sixth year taking Potions?” Ginny asked and looked around. Everyone shook their head except for one.

“I am,” Hermione said and looked around at all of the shaking heads. “I’m the only one?”

“Looks like it,” Harry told her.

“But I thought you needed it to be an Auror?” Hermione gave him an expectant look.

“Either I’ll learn it on my own and see if they’ll give me time to get tested or I’ll do something else,” Harry explained. “My thoughts have changed a little since I told McGonagall that.” Like from hearing a prophecy, he thought.

Hermione didn’t look happy to hear that but she couldn’t really complain when it was everyone’s individual choice.

They soon went to class and Ginny naturally sat next to Harry, much to Ron’s consternation. It happened again in their afternoon class. Only Ginny saw Ron’s reaction in each case and she only smiled sweetly at him, making him frown more -- to her amusement.

– – –

By dinner, everyone was getting back into the rhythm of being in school again. Harry looked at Ginny. “Did you enjoy classes with us today?”

“I did,” she answered him with a smile. “Sitting beside you made it all a little more fun too. I also liked having Luna join us since it was all houses together, so it was the best off all cases.”

Harry looked over at their blonde Ravenclaw friend who was sitting next to Padma; the two seemed to be carrying on a quiet conversation. “I hope this year goes better for her. Some of the others were taking her things sometimes,” he said with a hint of anger.

Ginny sighed. “I kept telling her to put some protective charms on her trunk and wardrobe, but she wouldn’t. I also tried to get her to go the Flitwick about it but she wouldn’t either for some reason.”

“I didn’t know you tried to help,” Harry said with some surprise, “she never mentioned it when we talked.”

“I’d be surprised if she did,” Ginny told him.

Harry looked up and saw Dumbledore looking pointedly at him so he nodded. The Headmaster nodded back before he rose and walked out slowly, as he’d pause and say a few words to various teachers on his way. “I have to go talk to Dumbledore, but I’d really rather not.”

“Why not?” Hermione asked, surprising him as he didn’t think she had been listening.

“Because,” Harry said as he looked at her and saw Ron listening in also, “he’s going to ask questions that really aren’t any of his business, or at least I don’t think so. Oh well, if I do this now then at least it’s over with.”

He put an arm around Ginny’s shoulders and squeezed lightly. “I’ll find you in the common room after.”

“Sure,” she agreed, “I’ll be working on my Defense homework. At least Diggle taught us something today, unlike how last year went.”

Harry snorted as he rose. “That wasn’t a hard standard to better. Later.”

As Harry walked to the Headmaster’s office, he considered what he thought he’d be asked and what answers he’d give. He’d thought about this conversation multiple times over the summer. He hoped this time went well, but he thought he’d hear answers he didn’t like as the Headmaster rarely answered his questions fully.

He gave the password McGonagall had given him and was knocking on the door a moment later.

“Enter!”

Harry walked in. As expected, it was only the two of them, plus Fawkes. He walked over and petted the immortal bird with a smile. The phoenix gave him a soft happy trill.

“I see Fawkes is still happy with you,” Dumbledore said easily, “that’s always a good omen. Have a seat, Harry; we have much to discuss.”

Harry warily left Fawkes and took a seat. “Since I haven’t had time to get into trouble yet this year, what do we have to discuss, Headmaster? I can’t think of anything.” He had a good guess though he hoped he was wrong.

“I think this last summer would be a good place to start.” Dumbledore looked at him with concern. “Why did you not return to the Dursleys’? I thought I explained it was the safest place for you because of the blood protections.”

Harry sighed as he found his guess was correct. “Your answer at the end of last year is why. I never felt I knew how to get away from them until this last summer or I would have done it sooner.”

“To what are you referring to?” the Headmaster asked.

“Your statement that you knew you were condemning me to dark and difficult years and that I would suffer,” Harry answered. “I’m tired of the abuse, Professor, and I’m not going to put up with it any longer even if I’m a little unsafer -- which I don’t think I was since no one found me.”

“Harry, you needed to return there once a year. Because you have not,” Dumbledore paused and glanced over to a shelf as if for confirmation before looking disappointed at him, “the protections I established around your aunt’s house have fallen.”

“It doesn’t really matter anyway,” Harry said casually.

“How so?”

“Have you still forgetting that Voldemort has my blood now?” Harry asked. At Dumbledore’s raised eyebrows Harry snorted. “Ah, you have or else think it doesn’t matter. I can assure you that I have not forgotten. In addition, I’d only be there for a month next summer before I turn seventeen, so why bother for that short of a time.

“Anyway,” Harry continued, “the important thing is that I was safe and it was the best summer I’ve ever had. I wasn’t starved. I wasn’t yelled at and threatened for things I didn’t do. I wasn’t threatened when I woke up from a nightmare from what’s happened to me over the years. Plus, I wasn’t forced to work like a house-elf while my cousin did nothing, nor was I chased and beaten up by my cousin and his friends. You know,” Harry smiled innocently, “all of those dark and difficult things.”

Dumbledore bowed his head for a moment, but Harry didn’t feel guilty at all for saying any of that.

When he looked back up, Dumbledore changed the topic. “Harry, because you were unavailable, I was unable to convince an old teacher to return and we really needed him for information about Voldemort.”

“Ah,” Harry said with a nod, “that’s why Professor Diggle is here. He’s not too bad if the first lesson is a good indication of what he’ll be like. He’s not as good as Lupin or even the fake Moody, but he’s close.”

“I’m afraid you misunderstand, Harry,” Dumbledore told him. “I needed to find Professor Slughorn to come teach Potions so Professor Snape could teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. You need Professor Snape’s experience and knowledge there, as we both needed special information from Professor Slughorn.”

Harry couldn’t help but make a face. “Snape for Defense? I’m glad that didn’t work out because I’m glad to be done with classes with him.”

Dumbledore sighed. “That’s Professor Snape, Harry, and you will be worse off because my plan did not come to fruition.”

“Hmm,” Harry considered that, “based on what you’ve told me I think I probably don’t really care and I’m better off not taking classes from Professor Snape ever again. As you said last June, it was a mistake to put us together.”

“I said it was a mistake not to teach you Occlumency myself,” Dumbledore said tiredly. “To the last matter, we need to have some extra lessons this year. I have information for you on Tom Riddle that you’ll need.”

That was a strange way to word it, Harry thought. “To learn advanced magic to defeat him?” he asked hopefully.

“It’s possible,” Dumbledore allowed, “but we shouldn’t limit ourselves only to that. There is much to learn about multiple topics.”

Harry thought that was again strange. “Very well, I’ll try one.”

“We’ll need to have several meeting this year to cover it all,” Dumbledore corrected him gently. “Please return Saturday evening after dinner and we’ll discuss the first bit of information that I have.”

Harry was suspicious of the arrangement. “Why not just start in the morning and do it all in one day? Why spread it out over time?”

Dumbledore smiled tolerantly. “We’re both very busy and there’s no hurry as long as we finish before the end of the school year.”

“Oh, so it’s really not all that important then,” Harry replied.

“No, this is very important,” Dumbledore informed him.

“If it’s that important, let’s do this next weekend and do it all at once,” Harry repeated.

“Harry,” Dumbledore said with disappointment.

“Fine, I’ll do one to see,” Harry said as he stood. “If there’s anything else, you can tell me then. I have homework to do and unlike your lessons which apparently can be done whenever, my homework has a due date. Good evening.”

His patience mostly exhausted, Harry turned and left; the Headmaster didn’t call him back.

He fumed as he returned to Gryffindor Tower. The meeting went much as he’d expected, except for the offer of lessons about vague things that were apparently important except they weren’t. He’d have to think about how he wanted to react to them over the coming week.

Upon his return to the Tower, his friends led by Hermione, pulled him to the side. “What did he want?” she asked.

“The expected,” Harry replied. “He wasn’t happy about my not going back to the Dursleys’; I told him I was happier that way. He also wanted my help to get some Potions teacher but couldn’t since I was unavailable.”

“Potions?” Ron asked confused. “But Snape does that.”

“Yeah, well, apparently he was going to move Snape to Defense but that didn’t work out -- thankfully!” Harry smiled, as did Ron and Ginny. “He also wants to have some sort of lessons with me about Voldemort, but he was fairly vague about that.”

“Ooh,” Hermione exclaimed excitedly, “I bet you’ll get to learn some advanced magic. You will teach us, right?” She looked expectantly at him.

“Don’t know, but when I asked him that very question he got a bit dodgy, like it might come up but he didn’t plan on it.” Harry shrugged. “The more I think about it the more I’m thinking it won’t.”

“That’s disappointing,” Ginny said with a hint of sarcasm.

Harry smiled at her. “I think you have the right of it.

“Enough about that, have you finished the homework?” he asked.

“No, but I can help you get started with what we’ve found so far,” Ginny told him.

Harry grabbed her hand and smiled. “You’re brilliant.” She beamed a smile back and gave a cute look before leading him over to their table.




Harry walked very slowly back to Gryffindor Tower. It was nearing curfew, but he knew he’d make it in time anyway. He could always sit on the steps in front of the Fat Lady for a few minutes to think by himself if needed. There was no doubt he wouldn’t have time alone to think once he walked inside. Even Ginny, the mostly likely of the three to give him time, would want to know what Dumbledore told him.

Slowly he trudged up the stairs to the Tower. He had a real quandary about what and whom to tell. There was also the question about how much he believed the prophecy. Was it still unfulfilled or not? It would have been nice if the prophecy orbs turned black or something when they were complete, but he had not seen a single orb that looked different in the hundreds he’d seen last June.

Then there were the final words he’d thrown at the old Professor. He didn’t feel he was wrong, but now he wondered if he should have said them.

“Are you coming in or not?”

Harry looked up to see the Fat Lady looking at him expectantly. He gave the password so she opened up. Inside, he walked over to his friends who were doing their homework together. He dropped into the seat next to Ginny.

While they all looked at him, it was Hermione who blurted out the first question -- as usual. “What did Professor Dumbledore talk to you about? Did you learn any useful magic?”

Harry looked at Neville who was there too, but who looked down as if trying to appear as if he wasn’t listening in. “No, he didn’t teach me any magic at all. He just wanted to talk about some history. It seemed like a great waste of time even if he did say it was important. I asked him some questions and as usual he wouldn’t answer any of them. I find it all very frustrating.”

“I’m sure he has his reasons,” Hermione told him as if he should have known that.

Shrugging, Harry said, “Maybe so, but not sharing what those reasons are frustrates me.” He held up his hand when she was about to reply. “I’m not saying I need to know every little detail right now, although that might be nice, but I need to know more than he’s telling me and it’s obvious he knows more.”

“I’m sure he has a plan,” she countered when he’d stopped.

“I’m sure he does,” Harry agreed sullenly, “but what if he dies before he tells me the plan such that Voldemort wins because I don’t know something I should have? Why hold back information that may cause the war to be lost?”

Hermione had no good answer for that, not that Harry expected her to.

As he pulled out his supplies from his book bag, Ginny moved her notes over so they were between the two of them. He put an arm around her back and squeezed lightly as he leaned over to whisper in her ear. “Thanks, you’re the best.”

“I know you needed to do both,” she whispered back to him.

He noticed that Hermione scowled at them but didn’t say anything more, for which he was grateful.

When most went up to their rooms, Harry was only about three-quarters done; he put his things up anyway. “Do you have a few minutes?” he whispered into Ginny’s ear.

She raised an eyebrow but nodded. He stood and took her hand and pulled her over to a chair in the corner and pulled her into his lap, putting his arms around her waist while she leaned against him and put her head on his.

“Was it a more difficult night than you let on before?” she asked softly.

“Yes.” He considered what to tell her because he wanted to tell someone. “Do you know a privacy spell?”

“Sure. I had to learn with Fred and George around; Bill taught me.” Ginny pulled out her wand and did it.

“I need to learn that,” he replied. “I need to tell you a few things and I’m having trouble figuring out where to start.”

“The beginning?” she supplied cheekily.

He snorted at that. “We don’t have that much time. Ginny, we went to the Ministry last June and I found that prophecy. I know what it says now.”

She moved a little and cupped his cheek. “I’ve tried not to think about it, but it says you have to kill the Dark Idiot, doesn’t it?” Ginny had wondered about it quite a bit during her lost year.

“You’re really smart.”

Ginny snorted now. “It’s been in the Daily Prophet, Harry, so it wasn’t that hard of a guess … that’s also easy to guess because it’s the obvious thing it would say. I hope it says you’ll win?” She looked at him hopefully.

“No, but it says I have a power he doesn’t know about.” Harry made a disgusted noise. “Dumbledore thinks it’s love; I think he’s daft.”

Ginny actually giggled. “I doubt Tom does know about love, but I have trouble imaging how that’s useful to you. Unless…”

“Unless what?” he asked when she’d trailed off.

“Unless it’s something like how you love others enough such that you have friends that will help you,” she suggested. “I don’t think Tom has any friends. Even Bella isn’t a friend but rather a favorite servant, or so I’d think.”

“Maybe, though even that interpretation seems like a stretch to me,” Harry replied after a moment not really convinced. “Tonight, all we did was watch a memory from an Auror who’d visited Tom’s family on his mother’s side. They were a really messed up family. I have no idea what it means to me or how it would help me fight.

“As I was leaving I again tried to convince him to look at all of this stuff in one sitting and he again refused saying we’d get to it when there was time. He also hurt his hand doing something that I can tell was part of all this, but he refused to answer that even though I can tell it’s important. If something could do that to him, it probably would kill me if I tried because I don’t have his experience.

“I find it all so very frustrating that I told him that if we were only going to look at stuff like this and he wasn’t going to answer my questions or tell me what the plan was then there was no reason for us to meet again. He told me it was all very important. I think I yelled back that if it was so important why wasn’t he doing anything about it, you know, going out fighting Voldemort. I was so upset by that point I just left. I probably should have given him a moment to answer my question, but I was beyond caring by then.”

Ginny put her arms around his shoulders and neck and held him firmly against her. “I’m sorry that was so frustrating for you.” She also started to rub his head lightly.

Harry just held her and enjoyed the moment and the faint scent of her shampoo, or so he guessed since her hair was near his face. He thought about her to calm himself.

A few minutes later she asked, “Feeling better?”

“A little.”

“You don’t have to, but are you going to tell Ron and Hermione?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I couldn’t decide as I walked back. What do you think?” Her warmth felt good, he determined.

“Hermione is very smart and Ron sometimes has good ideas,” she said. “It’s up to you.”

He considered it a moment more. “I think I’ll wait for now. Ginny, can I ask you something and will you answer honestly?”

“Sure, as long as it’s not a secret I’ve promised to keep for someone,” she replied.

“I’ve thought about what you did at the Ministry.” He felt her stiffen. “I’m glad you did it, I really am.” He felt her mostly relax. “If you had the opportunity to do it again, I mean if we found more Death Eaters and thought we could finish them off without anyone knowing, would you do it again?” He felt her relax the rest of the way.

“Maybe, probably,” she finally answered him. “Who did you have in mind?”

“No one right now, but I’ve been thinking about if I could do that and I think I could after what Bella did to Sirius and the rest of that night. I remember,” he paused, “I remember taking a few down and their friends just revived them and then we had to fight them all over again. I won’t be surprised if the two that survived are released or are helped out of prison so we have to fight them again. I’m tired of that.”

She stroked his hair and his head. “If I’m to be honest, I did it because it was Malfoy who’d hurt me personally and because of what Dolohov did to Hermione. Then once I started it was hard to stop. Despite that I know they have killed others, I’m still not proud of what I did because for the most part they didn’t try to kill us when they had the chance. If they were throwing around Killing Curses, it’d be different.”

“So using equal force?” he queried.

“I guess that’s a good way to say it in general,” she admitted with a shrug.

Harry nodded for a moment. “I can see your point. I’ll think about it some more.” He almost asked her how she’d killed them, but decided at the last second that was her secret and he really didn’t need to know. “I guess we should go to bed.”

Ginny giggled. “Harry, I didn’t think you were ready for that.”

He looked at her for a moment before it dawned on him what he’d said and what she was suggesting and he felt his face go warm. “Ginny!” he growled warningly.

“You’re fun to tease sometimes.” She shifted a little and kissed him soundly for a long moment and he relaxed. “It will be a long time before I think we’re ready for that, so don’t get too excited. However, if we stay together long enough for that day to come, I’m sure it’ll be wonderful. Good-night.” Ginny kissed him once more quickly and then got up and left.

Harry shook his head and watched her walk over to pick up her bag and then leave. He rose slowly and picked up his things before going to his dorm room.

He felt a little better after sharing what had happened tonight and his feelings about it all. He was still frustrated with Dumbledore, but he could ignore it for the moment. He still didn’t understand how Ginny could calm him so well.




The sixth years were consolidating into a group a little more this year and went to breakfast together as was becoming their habit. They didn’t spend all of their time together, but Harry found it interesting in how adding Ginny to their regular group had changed things. Apparently she was the bridge to Lavender and Parvati. Neville had started being with them more after last year. Harry had no idea why Dean and Seamus were hanging around them more, but he’d welcomed them.

As they sat together on this Saturday morning, Harry watched the owls come in, including the usual delivery of the Daily Prophet to Hermione. She was the first of them to turn seventeen, having done that a couple of days ago. He looked at Ginny and considered how her being only fifteen would affect things. Although, if he were honest with himself, she seemed older but that was a silly to think.

“Harry?”

He looked to his friend. “Yes, Hermione?”

“It says here,” she continued to look at her newspaper as she talked to him, “the two surviving Death Eaters from the battle at the Ministry, Crabbe and Mulciber, were convicted and imprisoned for two years, but they aren’t being sent to Azkaban because there are no Dementors there. I think this is the first time the Ministry has acknowledged the Dementors leaving.”

Harry looked around and saw thoughtful looks on his friends’ faces. “Interesting. I also find it good to hear they were actually convicted and not let go.”

“I think,” Ginny spoke up, “not having Lucius Malfoy around to buy their pardon helped.”

“Not sure it would have worked if he’d been here to try,” Ron said as he grabbed more bacon. “Fudge is gone and Bones doesn’t put up with that, or so Dad said this summer.”

Everyone nodded at that and resumed breakfast. It seemed it was possible for things to change for the better, even if only in small ways.

– – –

“How about a game, mate?”

Harry looked up to see Ron holding his chess set. “Sure, we have time. Quidditch practice isn’t until this afternoon.”

“I’m looking forward to that,” Ron said as he set up the board.

Harry reached over and removed Ron’s queen. “To make it more even,” he said with a grin.

“A challenge then,” Ron said not sounding worried as they started. “So, you and my sister.”

Harry made a move. “What about Ginny? It’s going well for us so far.”

“I don’t need details,” Ron groused with his move. “I’m just surprised that you gave in. She’s been after you for years.”

Harry shook his head. “I remember her running after the train in our first year. It was kind of cute in its own way, but she’s grown up since then and she treats me normally like Harry, not like the Boy-Who-Lived.”

He made his next move. “Besides that, she cute and turning pretty, plus we have a lot in common I’ve found out.”

Ron gave him a questioning look as he moved a knight.

“It was a bit of a surprise to me, but I recently found out she likes sports, like I do,” Harry said, moving a pawn in prep for a more deadly move.

“True, she likes Quidditch,” Ron said while moving a rook that would slow Harry down.

“She does like Quidditch, but she really likes sports in general; she likes the competition. She told me the other day that she’d like to go see a football game, like what Dean’s always talking about. I told her I’d take her to see a match next summer, or if I can’t get tickets we’ll go watch a game in a pub and have lunch while watching the game on the big telly. She said she heard about the Olympics from your dad and would like to go to those when they next happen.” Harry moved his queen cautiously.

Ron looked up in surprise. “Really?”

“Yeah. You didn’t know that about your sister?”

“I guess not. What else do you have in common?” Ron wondered.

“She likes to fly like I do. She’s smart, but not like Hermione,” Harry said quietly, lest he be overheard by someone who reported it back to his bushy-haired friend.

Ron looked uncomfortable suddenly. “Err, why haven’t you asked her out instead?”

“Hermione?” At Ron’s nod Harry snorted. “Ron, she’s a good friend but date her? I don’t think so. She nags and while I do my best to ignore it, I don’t like nagging as it’s too much like my aunt. Also, she has this tendency to argue. You should know that as much as you argue with her.”

Ron seemed to relaxed a little and frowned as he looked at the board. “I have noticed that.”

“Come on, hurry up,” Harry encouraged him with a small smile and gesture at the board. “Ginny doesn’t nag me. She’ll remind me once and then let me be. I’ve found she’s easy to talk to. She also has a great sense of humor and she’s devious, like the twins but not so extreme. She’s mentioned a few things in regards to you.” He struggled to keep a straight face as Ron looked up with a touch of fear. He was pleased when Ron moved a piece but didn’t seem to be looking where he’d set it.

“I also like that she’s a powerful witch. I think it was Fred who said she’s a lot of power in a small package.” Harry jumped on what had to be a mistake (or if it was a trap he couldn’t see it) and captured a pawn, pinning a rook, as he said, “Check!”

Ron looked at the board in shock before moving his king out of the way, allowing Harry to capture the rook.

“Yes, I’ve noticed your sister has grown up and filled out very nicely. She’s a good kisser too.” Harry smiled as Ron dropped his bishop, which moved it.

“Damn it, Harry! I don’t need details!”

Harry reached out and moved his queen to take the bishop. “I think that’s checkmate … mate.”

“What?!”

“What’s going on?” Ginny said as she walked up.

Harry jumped up and grabbed her, spinning her around and kissed her briefly. “You’re totally awesome. You won the game for me. Go get your broom and let’s fly for a bit just for fun before lunch.”

“All right,” she said in bewilderment as Harry hurried up to his room. She looked at her brother who was staring at the chess board in shock. “What was that about?”

“He beat me,” Ron said quietly in puzzlement and disbelief as he continued to look at the board. “I started without my queen, but he beat me.”

Ginny shook her head as she turned to go get her broom. Perhaps she could get the story out of Harry in a few minutes.

– – –

Harry saw Dumbledore walk by as dinner was ending and pause near him. “Excuse me for a few moments,” he told his friends quietly as he rose.

As he approached the Headmaster, Harry said, “Sir, if we could talk for a few minutes.” The Headmaster noted his solemn expression and nodded before turning towards the trophy room.

A moment later, Dumbledore closed the door and put up several privacy spells, including the one Ginny had used and then taught him later.

“Professor,” Harry started, forcing himself to remain calm as his emotions had led to the difficulty last time, “I’d like to apologize for raising my voice to you last time. I was quiet upset by the end of our meeting; nevertheless, I shouldn’t have raised my voice.”

“Thank you for recognizing that,” Dumbledore replied with a slight smile.

“I do not apologize for what I said,” Harry noticed the man’s expression fell, “but the delivery was not polite and that was wrong of me.”

“If I may ask, why not for what was said too?” Dumbledore asked without rancor.

“Because I still believe it to be true,” Harry replied. “Perhaps you don’t see it from my view, but you say that this information is very important while your actions show that it’s not important.”

“I’m sorry you see it that way,” Dumbledore commented.

Harry narrowed his eyes, feeling his frustration starting to return. “Professor, I’m no longer eleven. I’m sure I’ll miss things from time to time, but I’ve grown up enough I can recognize people trying to control me most of the time. All I want is honesty and information that I think I’m entitled to have since it concerns me.

“I can also recognize that you can choose not to tell me and not to work with me. Similarly, I can chose not to work with you. I won’t hinder you, but there’s nothing preventing me from thinking the prophecy has already been fulfilled, gathering my true friends, and leaving the fight to others.”

“You’d leave and let Voldemort take over?” Dumbledore asked aghast.

“I’m quite willing to fight, Professor,” Harry scowled at him, willing him to understand, “but why should I fight if I don’t know the plan and why certain things must be done?

“The memory you showed me seemed worthless, but I’m willing to concede it might be useful along with other information to build on that. However, I will not be strung along for months or longer when something could happen to you such that I never get vital information. You could fall down stairs, you could have a heart attack, you could be walking through the Ministry and some Death Eater could hit you in the back with a Killing Curse. So if this information is so important that I must have it, then you should be telling me it and what your plan is to win the war as soon as possible. If not, I have little motivation to fight … just like all of the other sheep who won’t raise their wand to a few Death Eaters walking down the street.”

“I do not appreciate your attitude in this, but I suppose I can understand your view,” Dumbledore said finally. “Let me gather a few things and I will go over as much as I can.”

“As much as you can?” Harry asked incredulously. “Why not all you can?”

“My pardon for an unfortunate choice of words,” Dumbledore said quickly. “I need to gather more information before I can present a few items so the others will make sense to you. That was also part of my reason for spacing out the lessons in presenting it.”

Harry had to refrain from rolling his eyes. “Professor, let’s meet and discuss everything you have. If you find new information, we can always talk about it when you find it. Besides, I think they say no plan survives first contact with the enemy.”

Dumbledore smiled slightly. “They do say that. It will probably take me a month, but I’ll contact you. I’ll clear a day and we start in the afternoon and go as long as you like.”

Harry nodded. “Thank you for listening to me.”

Dumbledore took down his privacy spells and Harry left. A glance in the Great Hall showed his friends had left so he headed to the Tower.

Harry took a seat with Hermione, Ron, Neville, and Ginny. He sat beside his girlfriend because she’d saved him a seat.

“Did it go better this time?” Ginny asked him calmly.

He recognized she was trying to tread lightly and appreciated it. Harry put his arm around her shoulders and let her snuggle in. “It did. I apologized for yelling at him last time and then we had a discussion about a problem and we worked through that. I don’t dislike him, but I don’t like it when he ignores my view on problems that affect me.”

“You yelled at him last time?” Hermione looked horrified while the others were nodding at his statement.

Harry ignored her shrill tone and shrugged. “It wasn’t the first time.”

“But--”

“Hermione,” he cut her off. “Let me put this in a way that will make sense to you. Let’s pretend your parents were killed after your first year here so you were young enough to still needed a guardian and Dumbledore thought it best that you stay with the Malfoys who hate Muggle-borns. Wouldn’t you like your view and opinion on the matter considered? Hmm? This is also very close to the conversation we had on the train.”

She just blinked at him, incredulous.

“Anyone up for a game of Exploding Snap?” Ron asked into the silence.

“Yes.” “Sure.” “Sounds good.” Hermione continued to just look at him thoughtfully while Ron went to get a pack of cards for the game and the others got up off of the couches and chairs to go find a table to play on.

Back to index


Chapter 9: Chapter 9

Chapter 9

It was mid-October as the group of sixth years went to breakfast. Harry was feeling a little uneasy despite their fun day planned with a trip to Hogsmeade because his big talk with Dumbledore was supposed to be this afternoon and evening.

“Mate,” Ron said, “we’re doing really well this year. We’re almost at Halloween and nothing bad has happened yet this year.”

“Thanks for jinxing it, Ron,” Harry told him sarcastically.

Hermione looked at them, ending on Ron. “Based on the last five years, on average you’d have to wait until after Halloween to say that.”

“Hmm, yes to first year,” Ron muttered as he spread jam on his toast, “probably third too, definitely yes to fourth; hard to say about fifth. I think you’re right, Hermione.” The girl smiled knowingly at him, causing him to concentrate on his breakfast a little more although with a pleased look.

By the time they were ready to go to Hogsmeade, Harry was actually antsy because they were close to an hour later than originally planned. Ginny holding his hand and having a whispered conversation about fun things to do mostly kept his mind off of the problem.

The five Gryffindors finally left the castle and started on their short trip, but they were late enough they were by themselves. Harry felt better to finally be going and was smiling and joking with the rest … at least until they neared the gates of the school.

There, he saw Katie Bell with a package in her hand walking back towards the school. He figured she wanted to take her purchase back to her room until he got a good look at her face.

“Ginny,” he said softly, “did Katie look different to you, maybe a little off?”

The redhead looked over her shoulder at the girl who’d just passed them. “She wasn’t smiling like she usually does; she looked very determined also.”

Harry stopped, forcing his girlfriend to stop too and the others to almost run into them.

“Hey,” Ron said indignantly.

“Katie!” Harry called out. The blonde Chaser kept walking. “Katie!” he called out louder, causing the others in the group to look between him and her.

Harry let go of Ginny’s hand and hurried after his teammate, also drawing his wand as red flags were being thrown figuratively although he had trouble naming why. “Katie Bell!” he yelled now.

The girl stopped and turned very woodenly. In fact, her stop was so sudden the contents of the package in her hand came out of the wrapping so she was holding only the paper; a necklace with a strange stone on it was now on the ground. The necklace barely made an impression on Harry. What did grab his attention was the hollowness of her eyes as if “no one was home upstairs”.

Slowly and stiffly, she bent over to grab the necklace.

“No!” he shouted and started running towards her as the probable cause of her strange behavior hit him. When his shout didn’t faze her and she kept reaching down, Harry thrust his wand forward and shouted, “Stupefy!” The spell hit her just before she touched the necklace and threw her back several body lengths before she landed and flopped in a heap.

“Harry! What are you doing?!” Hermione yelled in disbelief of his action.

“Someone, run to the school and get a teacher like McGonagall or Flitwick and tell them to get Pomfrey and get back down here in a hurry!” he commanded, even more intense than he’d been in the Department of Mysteries.

“Harry?” Ginny hurried over and stood beside him, as did Neville.

“Did you see her eyes?” he asked, trying to keep both the necklace and Katie in his vision.

“Yeah, it was like she wasn’t there,” Ginny said and then looked shocked and alarmed. “You don’t think…”

“I don’t know, but either that wasn’t really Katie Bell or something was really wrong with her,” Harry answered.

“I agree,” Neville said. “I’ll be back with help as soon as I can.” He edged around the necklace and then started running towards the school.

“Ginny, keep an eye on her; I’m going to make sure no one touches this thing,” Harry said.

His girlfriend pulled her wand and moved a little closer to her unconscious teammate.

“Do you think she really was under the Imperious?” Hermione asked a little fearfully as she walked closer to him. “Here?”

Ron walked over too and looked at the necklace, although he kept a healthy distance from it. Harry thought it might be because of the brains he’d been attacked by in the Department of Mysteries. Harry couldn’t blame him for that feeling as he felt a little creeped out by this thing too.

“I don’t know,” Harry finally replied, “but something was wrong. If I’m wrong, she can yell at me.”

A few minutes later they saw McGonagall hurrying with her holding the front of her dress up to her knees showing some old fashioned women’s boots. Flitwick and Neville (who was puffing hard from having to hurry both ways) was coming behind. Pomfrey came around the turn a moment later also hurrying as she carried a dark brown bag.

McGonagall went to Katie as did Pomfrey. Flitwick took charge of the probably cursed necklace, or Harry thought it had to be to do that to Katie.

Harry turned to Ron who was still standing nearby. “You really did jinx us this morning by saying nothing bad had happened yet this year.” Ron just shrugged and continued to look on.

Eventually, the students were dismissed and went on into town for lunch. It wasn’t fun in anyway. In fact, after lunch Harry had to leave his friends, after a quick kiss for his girlfriend, and walk back to the school for his meeting.

– – –

Harry knocked on the door to Dumbledore’s office and was invited in. Before anything could be said, Harry blurted out, “How’s Katie? What did that necklace do to her?”

“Have a seat,” Dumbledore said calmly from behind his desk before he cast several spells for privacy on his own office. “Miss Bell will be just fine in a few days or a week at most. Harry, take twenty points for Gryffindor for your excellent observation skills to notice that she was under the Imperious Curse.”

“The Necklace did that?” Harry choked out, amazed that the innocent looking piece of jewelry could do that.

“Oh, no, someone cast that on her. That’s being investigated and has yet to be determined if we ever do,” Dumbledore assured him. “The necklace was cursed too. Professors Flitwick and Snape are still working on it, but they have assured me it would not be good for the wearer as it has at least two very powerful and deadly curses on it.”

“Err… Wow…” Harry managed, not really able to articulate the depth of his feeling about this other than it was very bad.

“Yes, it is all quite the tale.” The Headmaster looked at him carefully. “Is this still a good time to discuss Voldemort?”

Harry blinked and responded, “Yes, Sir.”

“Very well. I have six memories for us to consider,” Dumbledore told him as he rose and walked over to his Pensieve. “Shall we?”

– – –

When they came out of the Pensieve, Dumbledore said, “As you can see from the haziness of it, the last memory was tampered with.” He sighed. “I had hoped to convince Horace Slughorn to come teach here and perhaps he’d give you the memory in honor of your mother, who was one of his favorite students. Alas, that did not work out and we can’t be sure what Tom’s goal was.”

Harry frowned for a moment. “We should be able to work it out though. You said the diary Ginny had and the ring you found were a Horocrux; so that’s two. You believe the Slytherin’s locket and Hufflepuff’s cup are, which would make four. Then Tom should be considered a part so that’s at least five. What’s the next magical number? Ginny told me once that some numbers are considered more magical than others.”

Dumbledore chuckled. “Well reasoned, Harry. The next highly magical number is seven, which makes me think we’re missing something of Ravenclaw’s -- as all of Gryffindor’s special possessions are accounted for and are clean -- plus one other. I suspect Nagini might be it as the reports I have of her make her seem more intelligent than any normal snake. The problem is that we’re having to do a lot of guessing and it would be good to be sure.”

“Professor,” Harry said with a hint of disappointment, “even if you knew the number there’s no guarantee Tom actually made that many. Not everyone reaches all of their goals.”

“True,” Dumbledore said with a nod, “but this was important enough to him that he would have made it happen in some way. Now, let’s discuss the other memories too.”

They did that and ate dinner that a house-elf brought them when they took a break.

Eventually, the discussion returned to the Horocruxes. “So you see, Harry, history is important here. I’ve also been trying to figure out where they are, but that’s going even slower. I fear the task of finding them will fall to you.”

Harry looked at the old man as he thought about it all. “Professor, I do not wish to say this, but you’re making the same mistake you did before.”

“Oh?” Dumbledore said nonplussed as he leaned back in his chair.

“Yes, Sir. I mentioned before that you told me learning this information was important and I can sort of see your point,” Harry saw Dumbledore smile slightly, “but you’re making the same mistake where you’re telling me finding and destroying these objects is very important but you’re doing very little about it.

“Sir, you aren’t Chief Warlock or Supreme Mugwump anymore. You’re only a Headmaster and you don’t teach any classes. Take some time off and go find them. In fact, find someone to take your place and step down as Headmaster at Christmas and go search as you did this last summer. If you can’t find them with your knowledge and contacts, I don’t know how you expect me to as you know a lot more magic than I do.”

Dumbledore nodded. “A brilliant plan with a fatal flaw. Harry, if I disappear from the school, it is almost certain that Tom will attack here in my absence. I am a deterrent Tom cannot ignore, especially in this place with all of the magical defenses it has. In addition, we do not want to tip him off to the fact that we know about his Horcruxes so that he moves them to places that are harder to get to. Do not worry, the prophecy says you’ll figure it out.”

“Or die trying and I think the last is more likely as Tom has 50 years more experience than I do,” Harry said sarcastically. “Professor, the prophecy doesn’t say that I have to do it all, just that I’ll have the final blow. Others can hold him down for me.”

The professor chuckled. “That is a valid interpretation, but I think it more likely that you’ll need to find the remaining Horcruxes before you meet him in a duel to finish him off. I believe you can do it.”

Harry only shook his head. “So that’s the plan? You think I have to find the Horcruxes, destroy them, then defeat Tom in battle?”

“More or less,” Dumbledore agreed. “As mentioned, there are parts of this we’re having to guess at.”

Harry shook his head again but didn’t argue his point anymore as he knew it wouldn’t do any good at this time. “What do you think the Ravenclaw item is?”

Dumbledore considered it for a moment. “The most famous item of hers was her Diadem of Wisdom. Miss Lovegood could show you a picture of it I’m sure. Alas, it was lost centuries ago, so if Tom found it -- which is possible I suppose -- then it will be a shame to destroy it.”

Harry considered that and made a mental note to talk to Luna. “Slytherin’s locket was that heavy gold one with the snake on it that we saw, right?” He thought it looked familiar but couldn’t place it.

“Correct. Hufflepuff’s cup has a badger on it as you also saw,” Dumbledore reminded him. “I would expect the snake would have to be killed last, or about the same time as Tom is killed.”

“How do you destroy them? How did you destroy the ring?” Harry asked. “I need to know so I don’t have the same problem you did.” He gestured at Dumbledore’s blackened hand.

The professor took a deep breath and looked uncomfortable. “There are multiple ways. If you could successfully cast a very strong Killing Curse, then that would probably do it. However, I’m not able to test that and I doubt you would be able to either. It would probably take Tom casting the curse and that’s unlikely to happen.”

“Short of tricking him, I have to agree.” Harry wondered if that was even possible.

“You destroyed one with Basilisk venom. I destroyed the ring with Gryffindor’s sword,” Dumbledore told him.

“What happened to your hand then?” Harry asked and could tell Dumbledore really didn’t want to answer.

After a long moment Dumbledore said, “There are almost always protections around his treasures. I ran afoul of one. I’m sorry, but I’ll say no more on it.”

Harry supposed he could understand; he didn’t like telling others about his mistakes either. “What else do I need to know?”

“I’m sure there are any number of things,” Dumbledore told him sadly, “but it would take years to learn them all. You’ll have to trust your instincts, which I’ve found to be very good when you need them.”

“You’ll let me know if you find out new information?” Harry asked with a hint of demand. He hoped that wasn’t rude but he really did need to know.

“I will.”

With a nod Harry stood. “Thank you for telling me.”

“You’re welcome.”

Harry left to go back to the Tower, deep in thought the entire way. One of his questions was if he should tell Ron and Hermione or continue to keep quiet. He was going to need help but he didn’t want to drag them into it … to get them hurt. Another part of his mind pointed out he’d told Ginny; it also asked why she was different. He didn’t have an answer other than she was different.

When he stepped into the common room, he was pleased Ginny saw him first and came over. The others followed. Knowing he’d have to say something, he walked over to the side of the room that was the emptiest and levitated a couch over before he pulled Ginny to him and onto his lap which she gave a short laugh to.

“Was it that bad?” she asked him and the others sat on the couch or pulled up their own chair.

Hermione looked very eager to hear what he had to say, as expected -- although Ron wasn’t far behind her. That tore at him a little. He was pleased that Neville was quiet but looked supportive.

Harry sighed. “I can’t give details, but Dumbledore answered my questions that I’ve had for years. What I can’t figure out is if what he told me matters or not.” He wanted to tell them about the prophecy but couldn’t bring himself to. His arms around Ginny waist, he held on and leaned his forehead against her shoulder.

“Oh,” he moved to look at them and wasn’t surprised to see disappointed looks. “I found out that Katie was placed under the Imperious curse by someone.”

“By who?” Ron demanded with a tinge of fear.

Harry could understand; he didn’t want it done to him either, even if he could break it. “They don’t know yet. The necklace didn’t control her, but it was highly cursed and probably would have killed anyone who put it on.”

“But it was so pretty,” Ginny protested.

“Probably one of the ways it works,” Hermione said with a sigh, “you know, to make you wear it.” Neville nodded in agreement.

“So now what?” Hermione asked.

Harry shrugged. “Don’t know that there is anything for me or us to do. I think it’s up to Dumbledore as long as he’s around.”

“Does that mean it’s up to you if someone kills him?” Ginny asked with a frown.

Harry shrugged again. “Hard to say, but maybe. Dumbledore gave a good story, but I’m still working out how much I believe it. I’d be chuffed if he was wrong.”

“But he rarely is,” Hermione pointed out.

“I have several examples where he has been,” Harry told her firmly before he felt Ginny rub his arm and neck. He relaxed into her touch. “You do have a good point though,” he conceded.

“Don’t worry about it now,” Ginny told him. “You can think about it for a while and maybe the problem will become clearer.”

Harry smiled at her. “Thanks, Ginny.” He realized she’d calmed him again. As the others returned to what they had been doing, Harry held her in his lap. Whispering, he told her, “I’ll tell you the details tomorrow; you’re right that I need to not worry about it now.”

She kissed the top of his head. “Of course I’m right.”

He chuckled at her.

“They really don’t know who cursed Katie?” she asked quietly.

Harry shook his head. “If you think about it, it could have been anyone since it happened in Hogsmeade.

Ginny shifted and leaned back against the couch back, putting her arm more around his neck, causing him to shift a little to get more comfortable. “But what if it was done by a student. Who could have done that? That’s … that’s something a Death Eater would do.”

He considered that for a moment. “You’re right and I know who I’d want to ask but he’d never answer.”

Ginny snorted in obvious agreement. “I’m sure we’re thinking of the same person. I agree we’re not going to get the truth from him.”

Harry rubbed her back and side. “What if we did? What if he confessed to it, then what?”

“Like if you fed him Veritaserum or something?” She shrugged. “I don’t know. Unless a teacher hears the confession, I don’t think anything would happen.” She looked at him. “I know where you’re going with that, Harry. You’re walking a difficult moral line that you’d probably end up crossing when you shouldn’t. I wouldn’t help you without absolute proof.”

He nodded and squeezed her gently. “I actually agree with you, but I just wonder what if I had the proof, would I be able to really do anything or not?” He shrugged. “I suppose it doesn’t matter since I don’t know.”

“No it doesn’t; leave it be,” she told him as she shifted again. “It’s far more important for you to keep your girlfriend happy.” She moved her face to his and they kissed deeply for some minutes.

Harry felt more relaxed at the end and even had mostly forgotten about his questions. There was something niggling at the back of his mind, but he’d figure it out later.




A few days later, Harry and Ginny walked into the library to meet Luna and revise with her and seeing their blonde friend reminded him of a research project he needed to do. Sitting beside Luna he whispered, “I understand Rowena Ravenclaw had famous diadem. Do you know where I’d find a picture of it?”

Ginny looked at him strangely for the question, but Luna just said, “The easiest way to see what it looked like would be to come into our common room and look at the statue of her there. I think that’s why the Grey Lady never comes in -- it’s sad.”

“Do you think you could take me in?” Harry pressed, glad there was at least one representation of the artifact.

“Harry, we’re in a library,” Ginny stressed the last word with a ‘don’t be stupid’ look.

He looked down sheepishly for a moment and scratched his head. “Do either of you know where I’d find a book with her picture in it?”

Luna rose without saying a word. The other two followed her. Using her wand, Luna tapped a book that was above her head on the bookshelf, causing it to pull out and then float down until she could grab it. Opening it, she flipped through it then stopped and handed the book to her friend.

Harry stared at it for a moment before he swore quietly, “By Merlin’s Staff!” Closing it, he held it next to the bookshelf and let go, allowing it to reshelf itself. “Thanks Luna! You’re brilliant, totally brilliant and I’ll explain that more one day.” He surprised her with a very quick hug. “I need to go tell Dumbledore something.”

Harry headed back to the table where he’d left his bag, grabbed it, and slung it over his shoulder as he headed for the exit. When he reached the door, he realized Ginny was catching up to him with her own bag over her shoulder.

“Err…” He wasn’t sure what to say to her coming with him.

“You have that look,” she said quietly, “that says you’re about to go have an adventure and possibly do something stupid, even if it works out somehow. I’ve spent enough time and effort to make you an acceptable boyfriend that I’d like to ensure that effort isn’t lost.”

Harry blinked at her and realized she looked very serious. “No, I’m not going to do anything stupid, I promise. I just need to go talk to Dumbledore.”

Ginny sighed. “Harry, I’d really like to believe you but we’re walking the wrong way to get to his office.” She glared at him. “Don’t lie to me!”

“Well, I do need to pick up something, or maybe two somethings first, but I really am going to see Dumbledore,” he insisted as he walked up a set of stairs that would take him to the seventh floor.

“Right,” she drawled out, disbelief dripping from the stretched out word. “I’ll help make sure you get there then.” She kept up with him.

Harry consider the predicament he was in. Dumbledore had said he could tell Ron and Hermione about the prophecy and the discussions of the memories, which he took to mean he could tell trusted confidants. That he hadn’t told them much but had told Ginny more was sort of the same thing, wasn’t it?

“I suppose,” he replied thoughtfully, “from what I’ve told you and what you’ve been through, you have the most right to know this.”

Her looked changed to surprise but she kept walking with him. When he was at the correct spot, Harry thought about finding a place to hide things. The door appeared as expected and he opened it and waved her in. Inside, he closed the door and thought about the door disappearing to hide them and it did.

“Wow, there’s a lot of junk in here,” she said in awe as she looked around slowly. “I see some attempt at organization, but there’s still a lot of junk.”

“The head house-elf told me at the end of the summer that I’d done a good job, and he sort of implied for not being a house-elf,” he told her with a grin as he pulled his bag off and took hers, setting them both by the door before he started walking to a specific area.

“This is where you told me you stayed and cleaned? No wonder you’re so good at some of the spells we do in class,” she said as she slowly followed him.

“I did some spells probably hundreds of times over the summer,” he explained. “I became very good at Animation spells as well as the Levitation spell. I lived over in the corner, had my own little bedroom and living area. The rest of the room was a place to do whatever I wanted. I even flew around in here some; sort of had to get some of the stuff down from the top of the taller stacks. Oh, here it is.”

Ginny turned and looked at the shelf her boyfriend was looking at and exclaimed. “You found Ravenclaw’s lost diadem in here?!”

“Yeah, didn’t know what it was at the time,” he told her. “I put all of the unknown but possibly interesting and useful thing on shelves.”

“The wig it’s on is atrocious, but the diadem itself is pretty.” She started moving forward with an arm outstretched.

“Oh no you don’t!” he shouted and grabbed her around the waist and pulled her back, almost knocking both of them over until he caught his balance. She ended up facing him so he kissed her hard for a long moment.

“Yum, I didn’t mind that at all, but why did you pull me away?” asked Ginny as she gazed into his eyes.

“Because I didn’t want you to touch it. Did you feel the need?” he asked with a hint of worry.

“No, I just wanted to look,” she replied. “It’s not every day you find something from one of the school’s founders.”

“A point I suppose,” he conceded, “but you see one every year with the Sorting Hat.”

“True,” she conceded his point. “What’s so special about that you came looking for it? Other than it’s Ravenclaw’s,” she added hastily, “because it seems like you asked Luna for a reason.”

Harry signed and let her go, but grabbed her hand and pulled her over to the section of furniture to find two chairs that were close together where they sat.

“I, uh,” he had to stop. “There’s no good way to explain this that you’re going to like, so please bear with me.” He grabbed her hands as her look changed to worry. “Probably the most important thing Dumbledore and I talked about during our long meeting is how … Tom,” he decided to make it a little more personal for her, “stayed alive over the years.

“There is some very dark -- the darkest of the dark -- magic that allows the person to break off part of their soul and put it in an object. If that’s been done, then if they are killed, they don’t really die and go on. They lose their body, but they don’t pass on. Obviously, Tom did that, which is why he disappeared for about thirteen years before he did some other probably dark magic to get a new body in my fourth year.”

Ginny looked at him with wide eyes and in a fearful voice with dread whispered, “The diary.”

He squeezed her hands and nodded. “It was one of several.”

She launched herself at him, hugging him with a death grip. He held her and did his best to soothe her. When she finally let go, he could see tear tracks on her cheeks.

“After you saved me, I felt like I always needed a bath but couldn’t truly get cleaned,” she said softly. “I feel like that again.”

He pulled her into his lap to hold her closer and she didn’t resist at all. “I said there were several, but the real number is probably seven. We’ve destroyed two, I did the diary and Dumbledore did another. The diadem is one and I know where one more is now that I really think about it. Dumbledore believes he knows what the other two are, but we don’t know where one of them is.”

Ginny nodded and thought for a moment. “Now what?”

“I need the other one.” Harry called out in a strong voice, “Kreacher, come!”

The old elf popped in, looking as he always did, including his surly expression. “Master called?”

“Kreacher, last time I was there, I recall seeing a golden locket with a snake on the floor.” He purposefully didn’t mention Fletcher. When he saw the elf take in a surprised breath, he added, “I see you remember it too. Please bring it to me.”

The elf stood there for a moment. “What does master plan to do with it?”

That surprised the boy. “Why? What’s special about it to you?”

Kreacher looked down and wouldn’t look back up. “Master Regulus gave me a command I’ve been unable to fulfill.”

“What?”

“He said I was to destroy the locket, but I can’t.” The elf tugged on his ears before he started to hit himself.

“Stop,” Harry ordered and the elf did after one more hit. “Kreacher, if you’ll bring me the locket, I promise it will be destroyed. It may be a day or two, but I know how to destroy it.”

Kreacher finally looked up and Harry thought it might have been with hope. With a quick move, the elf snapped his fingers and was gone.

Harry helped Ginny up and conjured a box on the chair they had been in before he summoned the diadem, directing it into the box.

Kreacher returned and Harry had him drop the locket into the box. It looked to be the same as what he saw in the memory.

“We all touched that…” she paused to prevent herself from saying something she couldn’t.

Harry just nodded, as revolted as she must be too. He closed it up and conjured brown paper and string, wrapping the box like a present. “There, that will hide them until I can get to Dumbledore’s office. I believe we can destroy these tonight if we’re lucky.”

He looked back at the elf. “I know you don’t like me and I’m not happy with you lying to me so that Sirius was killed, but thank you for this.”

The elf looked at him for a moment and nodded.

“Oh, where did you, or rather Regulus, get it?” Harry wondered aloud.

“It was in a cave by the sea where the Dark Lord hid it and where … Master died.”

“Thank you, Kreacher, you should return to the house,” Harry told him gently. The elf nodded again before leaving.

Harry looked at his watch. “It’s close to time for dinner. You should probably head there. If I don’t meet you there, I’ll find you in the common room.”

“Are you sure you’ll be all right?” she asked with some worry and a glance at the box.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine now. I won’t open the box until I’m with Dumbledore,” he promised and started walking her towards the door.

Ginny reached for their bags and Harry pulled out his Marauder’s Map. Checking it, he frowned.

“What?” she asked.

“Malfoy is outside this door, as are Crabbe and Goyle. I wonder what they want?” He watched and they weren’t leaving. “I guess we’ll have to wait until they go.”

Ginny rolled her eyes at him. “You’ve forgotten us leaving by another door to escape from Umbridge, haven’t you?”

Harry looked up for a moment as if asking for help. “Yeah I have, good one. I should do something else first. Dobby come!”

His other elf popped in. “Master called?”

“Dobby, I need a big favor,” Harry told him. “I’m sure you’re working on dinner, but this is more important.”

“I will do it,” the elf said enthusiastically.

“Splendid,” Harry said and knelt down on one knee. “We’re about to leave here and Malfoy is on the other side of this door. I remember you telling me that elves can do work while invisible to people.”

“Yes, Harry Sir; we do it all the time when cleaning,” Dobby boasted.

“Great,” Harry grinned. “I’d like you to go around to the other side when we leave and watch Malfoy when he comes in here. If you can pop in when the door is open so he doesn’t know you’re here, that would be even better. I’d like to know what kind of room he needs and why he wants in there and what he’s doing.”

“Dobby can do that easily.”

“Oh, one more thing. Can you follow him around a little, invisible too, and tell me if he has a Dark Mark on his arm? I’ve seen him rubbing his arm and I’d like to know.” Harry was hopeful on this too.

“Of course! Dobby will tell you tomorrow.”

“Splendid,” Harry grinned and rose. “I need an exit where we won’t be seen.” They saw all a door open to their left and walked that way.

Looking outside, Harry saw an empty corridor and smiled. With a look at the elf, he nodded and the elf disappeared. The two Gryffindors left and closed the door behind them; it disappeared a couple of seconds later. They watched the map and a minute later, Malfoy disappeared from the map and the two sidekicks stayed where the door should have been. “Most curious,” Harry said dryly as he put the map away and started walking, also having seen that Dumbledore was in his office.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you?” Ginny asked.

“No, I’ll be fine. I’ll find you later and let you know what happened,” he told her.

Ginny nodded. “If anyone asks, I’ll tell them you’re talking to Dumbledore.” She grinned. “That will stop Hermione.”

Harry chuckled. “Right. See you later.” He bent down and kissed her quickly.

“Thanks for telling me, Harry,” she said before she left.

As he neared the Headmaster’s office, he turned the corner and almost ran into Snape. Of all the times, he thought. “Please excuse me, Professor.” He stepped to the side to go around the man.

“Potter, what’s in the box?” He pointed to the thing under Harry’s arm.

This was so like the time Snape took his Quidditch book from him. “It’s something Professor Dumbledore requested. Please excuse me.” Again he tried to leave.

“Not so fast,” Snape stepped in front of him. “After the incident with Ms Bell, we can’t be too careful. Let me see the box.”

Harry took a step back. “I’m sorry, Professor, but this is not for you. It’s something personal that the Headmaster requested.”

“Which is exactly what Ms Bell said about her cursed item. Hand it over.” Snape held out his hand.

“No.”

“What did you say?” Snape said threateningly, daring Harry to say it again.

“I said this is for the Headmaster only.”

“That will be detention with me for refusing an order. Now hand it over,” Snape commanded.

“No, but you’re welcome to come with me and if the Headmaster wants to share the contents with you I guess that his choice,” Harry held firm. Snape narrowed his eyes and Harry felt an attack, but he was ready for it, had been expecting it and shoved the man out of his mind, causing Snape to stagger backwards a half step. “Stay out of my mind,” Harry told him firmly before stepping around the man swiftly and walking quickly. He was not surprised Snape followed him.

Since Harry had the password, he gave it and both went up the stairs. They entered with the Headmaster’s invitation.

“Harry, Severus, what a surprise. I was about to head to dinner,” Dumbledore said. “What can I do for you?”

Speaking up quickly, Harry said, “Professor, I have a small present for you in regards to those things we talked about last time…perhaps a clue to help you. Professor Snape seems to think I shouldn’t be bringing that to you and demanded I hand it over and gave me detention when I wouldn’t.” He didn’t bother looking at Snape, knowing the man would be giving him a displeased look.

Dumbledore smiled. “I so enjoy clues to a good puzzle, thank you for bringing it. Severus, I’ll handle it. Feel free to continue on to dinner.”

Snape was silent for a moment before he said, “As you wish, Headmaster.”

“Headmaster, about the detention?” Harry prompted before Snape could leave.

“Of course, I don’t think there’s any need for that,” Dumbledore said smoothly, “I’m sure it was just a misunderstanding, Severus.”

The Potions teacher nodded before giving Harry a displeased look and left.

“Let’s see what you found,” Dumbledore said eagerly.

Harry set the box on the desk and unwrapped it. “While I think we could touch them and not be hurt, I’ve been careful not to today.”

“Them?” Dumbledore asked with surprise.

Harry just opened the box to show what he’d brought.

“Ravenclaw’s diadem and Slytherin’s locket,” Dumbledore breathed in surprise. “How? Where?”

“The locket was at #12, so you were near it multiple times,” Harry said with a bit of a smile which turned into a grin at Dumbledore’s surprised expression. “As for the diadem,” he shrugged, “it was pure luck I ran across it.”

Dumbledore nodded, not asking for more details. “Would you like to destroy them now?”

“Yes.” Harry was actually happy to be included. Perhaps his talk with Dumbledore a few weeks ago had really helped.

Dumbledore handed him the Sword of Gryffindor and conjured wooden block upon which he set the diadem. “I think cleaving the silver part will be all that’s required.”

As Dumbledore pointed his wand at the diadem, Harry quickly swung the sword as directed and when the sword contacted the diadem he was blown back a few feet and knocked on his bum by the small explosion and a short unearthly scream.

Dumbledore’s hat was now on the other side of the room behind him and his hair and beard were both blown back over his shoulders as well. He looked down at the boy with a disappointed look. “Perhaps you can wait until I erect a shield next time?”

“Sorry, Professor,” Harry apologized as he rose, mindful of the very sharp sword in his hand. The diadem was in two pieces and there was a burnt looking spot on the wooden pedestal. “I guess that worked?”

“It did,” Dumbledore said as he levitated the locket over and then did a spell around the pedestal. “That should contain the magical backlash. When you’re ready?”

Harry swung the sword again, cleaving the locket into two parts, the explosion only going straight up. Again there was an unearthly scream.

“Very good work, Harry,” Dumbledore was smiling.

“Good luck on searching for the cup,” Harry told him as he set the sword on the pedestal. “I think I can still make dinner if I hurry.”

“Of course. Again, good work,” Dumbledore told him as he started to clean up.

Harry hurried to the Great Hall and took a seat at the empty place next to Ginny that she’d saved for him. At her expectant look, he leaned over and whispered, “They were ones and they’re destroyed.”

She brightened and grabbed his hand and squeezed.

Harry noticed a puzzled and almost an unhappy look from Hermione; Ron was only a little better in that he was only puzzled. He was thankful they didn’t ask for details.

After a hurried dinner, they all returned to Gryffindor Tower, where Hermione pulled him to the side along with Ron. Ginny came over on her own.

“Harry, what’s going on?” Hermione asked. “I know something is but you’re not telling us; why not?”

Pulling his wand out, Harry put up a privacy spell as he considered his answer. In the end, honesty was the right answer here. “Hermione, Ron, I’ll admit I have haven’t told you everything I’ve been discussing and doing for Dumbledore, but he’s asked me to keep it private so I am. Also, I’ve only told you a summary because I’m trying to protect you. I’m afraid that if you knew all of the details it’d put you in more danger that you already are as my friends.”

Ron rolled his eyes. “Really, Harry? You can’t tell us but you can tell Ginny? Don’t deny it, I’ve see you two have private conversations with privacy spells and there’s no need for that if you’re only talking about where to go snog.” Hermione nodded her agreement.

Harry glanced at Ginny who was giving her brother a surprised look. “I’ve told her a little more but there are details that I haven’t told her either.”

“But why her and not us?” Ron said, sounding hurt.

“Because she’s affected by it too and I felt she deserved to know why her first year was so bad,” Harry answered.

Hermione gave a meek, “Oh!” as her eyes went wide in understanding.

However, Ron didn’t let it go and asked hotly, “What Hermione I have gone through with you over the years isn’t good enough?”

Just as hotly, Harry responded, “When you’ve been possessed by Voldemort, when you’ve fought him directly and would have died if you lost, come see me and I’ll tell you more. Until then, be happy you’re not as involved.” He grabbed and squeezed Ginny’s hand and then stormed off.

Ron just stared after Harry, hardly believing what he’d just been told.

Ginny put a hand on her brother’s shoulder. “Ron, he over reacted and I’m sure he’ll apologize to you tomorrow, but you shouldn’t have pushed him like that either. You need to apologize to him also.”

“But I just wanted to know; he’s never kept things from us before,” Ron replied, now looking back at his sister, honestly confused.

“From what little more I know,” she told him, “the stakes are higher now and he’s only trying to protect you because he cares about you two. You heard him, he doesn’t tell me everything either. It’s my opinion he has a burden you don’t ever want.” She did her best to allude to the prophecy without saying anything about it. “Give him some space and see what happens. Don’t be surprised if he tells you only a little more.”

Her speech given to try to calm her brother down and bring the trio back together, for it seemed like Hermione had understood a little faster and better, Ginny left for her room. Perhaps she’d put this behind her for the evening by doing something completely different by gossiping with Lavender and Parvati as she didn’t see them down here.




(A/N: Until this chapter, Harry had no idea why Tom Riddle was able to "come back to life". In the books, that was pretty late in book6; so it’s no wonder he didn’t remember (quoted from book5) "a heavy locket that none of them could open" from #12 GP almost two years later. As I mentioned to someone, I have no plans to write a 280K-word Horocrux hunt (a.k.a. book7). Therefore, with one exception, I don’t have to do anything special other than let Harry more fully use his resources than he did in the books. I will admit that timing also helped him with the diadem, by being able to talk to Dumbledore and have Luna’s help without any pressure. In addition, as this chapter showed, you got to see why staying in the Room of Requirement last summer was so helpful. :-) Since I have no need to sell seven books, I can have Harry "force" Albus to talk with him so info is truly shared and with the better "resource" usage the tale is shortened in a way I prefer.)

Back to index


Chapter 10: Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The next morning, Harry felt a weight settle on his bed and almost cried out in surprise at the face and two large eyes that were staring at him from less than the length of his arm. “Dobby?” he whispered.

“Master sir can talk. Dobby has silenced the bed area and no one else can hear us.”

“Thank you and good job,” Harry told him as he sat up and pushed back to lean against the headboard while trying to force his heartrate to slow down. “What can you tell me?”

Dobby shook his head as if in disappointment. “Old master’s son has the mark of the skull and snake on his left arm.”

He was right in his guess, or rather guesses. “Err, how did you find out if I can ask?”

“I looked last night as he was sleeping. Dobby was very quiet and wasn’t seen.”

“Good, good. What of the Room of Requirement?” asked Harry.

“He went to the room of lost and hidden things also,” Dobby informed him. “On the side you didn’t clean is a cabinet that he was working on.”

That puzzled Harry. “Do you know what the cabinet is for or what it does?”

“Dobby does not.”

Harry nodded chagrinned. “All right, thank you for checking. Good job, Dobby.”

The elf looked very please. “Thank you, Master. I go make sure your breakfast is excellent.” With that said, he snapped his fingers and left.

Seeing that it was half an hour before he normally woke and that he’d gone to bed early, he sat there and thought about what this all meant. The only thing that made sense was that Malfoy was up to something, as this was yet more unusual behavior from the Slytherin. He’d just have to watch him and see what he found.

He also remembered that he needed to apologize to Ron for yelling at him last night; he really shouldn’t have done that.




They hadn’t been at the Halloween Feast for long before Harry noticed something. Turning to Ginny he said softly, “Have you noticed a ferret is missing?”

Ginny looked up and casually looked across the room since they always faced that way. Harry didn’t like putting his back to the Slytherin table, a sentiment she whole-heartedly agreed with. “Hmm, I’ve seen him miss other meals too.”

Harry continued to look around slowly. “His two sidekicks are here. I think he does it at times that are busy enough he doesn’t expect anyone to miss him.”

“What’s going on?” Hermione asked from across the table, apparently not able to hear the soft conversation.

“Just checking the mood,” Harry told her normally. “Looks like everyone is forgetting a certain Dark Wizard for the night and having fun, like it should be.”

“Why shouldn’t we?” Ron asked.

“There’s nothing wrong with fun,” Neville spoke up, “but I agree with Harry that we should always be ready for trouble.”

Harry gave his friend a nod. “Well said, mate.”

Ron snorted. “You’re going to turn into Mad-Eye if you keep going like that.”

Ginny gave him a contemptuous look. “We’re not expecting to be attacked right now, but it never hurts to be aware of what and who is around you.”

Ron shrugged not wanting to argue and Hermione looked thoughtful and took a look around herself but didn’t say anything.

Back in the common room after the Feast, Harry pulled Ginny over to a corner where he enlarged a chair to a ridiculous size that made her giggle, since he had enlarged everything not just the width. However, it was also wide enough to act like a couch too. He sat and pulled her onto his lap where she sat sideways and stretched her legs out.

“This is silly but comfy,” she told him with a grin.

“I could have just stretched it, but now you can lean against the arm like a back if you want,” he told her. “Hey, let me teach you a charm Flitwick taught me the other day. He told me my mother came up with it and taught him. Muffliato.”

“What did that do?”

“It muffles our conversation so others only hear background noise. I asked about privacy spells,” he told her.

“I’ve got one I looked up in the library last week. Confundus.” She waved her wand a couple of meters in front of them and smiled. “Now if they get too close, they’ll get confused and turn around. That also means they can see from across the room and we’ll look normal.”

“Great,” he replied with a smile too. “I’ve heard of that one. You’ll have to teach me and I can teach you mine.” He started digging out the Marauder’s Map and laid it on her lap.

“Deal,” she agreed. “What is this for?”

He activated it and said, “Look for Malfoy.” After a couple of minutes searching mostly in the dungeons but also the rest of the school, they could only come to one conclusion. “Since we can’t find him he must still be in the Room of Requirement.”

Ginny sighed. “I think I know what you’re going to suggest and I’m not a fan of it.”

“I’m not either, but I think it’s going to have to be done.” Harry took a deep breath. “I wished we didn’t have to do, but I think we’re going to have to find out what he’s doing and the sooner the better. Since we’ve known for a few weeks that he has definitely has the Dark Mark, that changes a lot.”

“How do you plan to find out?” She asked and frowned. “You better not be thinking of using the Imperious curse.”

“While it is a way, I have a better way,” Harry told her, glad she’d talked first because he had considered using that curse. “The hard part will be covering our tracks if he’s innocent. It would mean having to learn and use the Obliviation spell.”

Ginny put an arm around his neck and leaned against him, allowing him to hold her tighter. “I don’t want to do that either. I’ll do things that need to be done when I’m sure the enemy really is our enemy, but this isn’t obvious.”

“I know,” he agreed, “but he does have the Dark Mark. We should probably ask about that too; you know, what he had to do to earn it.”

“Maybe it was make some promises to follow the Dark Idiot,” she suggested hopefully.

That caused Harry to snort. “I bet that’s unlikely.”

“I know, but I can hope.” Ginny sighed. “How would you do it?

“Look at the map,” Harry said suddenly, causing her to lean away from him to watch the little footsteps labeled ‘Draco Malfoy’ walk to the stairs leading down. As they watched, Harry told her, “I’ve seen him do this a few other times. He either goes just before curfew and stays so late I’m asleep when he leaves, or he goes around dinner time and goes back just before curfew. Hmm, he always takes the same path too. We could use that to our advantage.”

“You mean wait for him and grab him? Then what?” Ginny asked as they watched their possible enemy walk through the dungeons to his common room.

“I wait under my Invisibility Cloak and stun him. You’re backup. We take him into the Room of Requirement and ask him some questions with Veritaserum that Dobby gets us from Snape’s closet like he did the Gillyweed a couple of years ago.” Harry paused for a moment. “If he’s guilty like we think, he disappears. Otherwise, we try Obliviation.”

“What if you can’t learn that spell?” she asked pointedly.

“I have my cloak so he can’t see me. You stand where he can’t see you. We find a spell in the library to disguise my voice. If he does remember anything it won’t help,” Harry told her. “Maybe we should do that as then we don’t have to worry about Obliviation.”

“We’d need to do this when he skips dinner; it would be easier than very late at night,” she suggested.

“Probably true … here comes Ron,” he told her and they both watched her brother come over.

“Ginny…” Ron stopped as he hit the edge of Ginny’s spell. Shrugging, he turned around and left, causing muffled laughter from the two on the couch/chair.

“Good one, Gin.” Harry turned her head towards him and kissed her, which she greedily returned for a few minutes.

When they relaxed again, Harry said, “It’s doable. I’m not going to be complacent and I’ve not going to give those I don’t trust a million chances like Dumbledore does. Perhaps he can handle it, but I can’t.”

Ginny hmm’d for a moment. “That’s something I’ve never thought about before. Maybe he gives so many chances to those who do wrong because he has so much magic and experience he can see and deal with the problems so well.”

“Maybe,” Harry allowed, “but the rest of us can’t.”

“True.” Ginny turned to him again. “Enough talk about that. It’s time for us.” She leaned a little and they were kissing again.




It had taken a couple of weeks, but Harry finally saw Malfoy leave the Slytherin area while they were in the library and not long before dinner; he was alone too. Harry had the map inside the book he was reading, moving it as he needed to read the opposing page. They were revising with Luna again. The great thing about that was that she didn’t ask questions about what they were doing as Hermione would have.

Harry closed his book and looked at Ginny. “I want to take a quick walk before dinner.”

At their prearranged signal, Ginny nodded and packed up as quickly as he was. “Thanks for the help again,” she told their friend who smiled at both but said nothing.

Harry patted Luna on the shoulder as they left.

A moment later they were in a secret passage that went up. Harry pulled the map out and handed it to her while he took his special cloak out also. A quick shrinking spell on his bag and that went into her bag, all while they were climbing stairs. “I’ll be waiting by the door for when you do your part,” he told her before he started taking the stairs two at a time and running up.

Ginny continued her normal speed and looked at the map occasionally, keeping track of where Malfoy was just in case he did something different. At the top of this passage on the sixth floor, Ginny cast a coloring charm on her hair to make it dark and a newly found obscuring charm on her face to hide her identity.

When Malfoy went by her in the main corridor and turned the corner, she exited the secret passage and quietly followed behind him, keeping one corner between them at all times. Merlin, she hoped Harry was right about the ferret.

She could see the label for Harry beside where the door to the Room of Requirement should be, as well as Malfoy moving back and forth not far away. Sticking one eye around the corner, she could see Malfoy moving towards the wall where a door probably was now. Pulling back, she stomped her feet as if walking heavily. Listening, she heard a thump on the floor.

Peering around the corner again, she saw Malfoy on the floor in a heap with an open door propped against him while a hand with a wand floated in the air. Her mission of distraction accomplished, she hurried over while Harry floated the Slytherin inside. She closed the door behind her and asked for them not to be found and the door disappeared.

Harry took his cloak off before summoning the boy’s wand, conjuring a wooden chair, putting Malfoy into it, and tying him up. “Over here,” he said and levitated the chair and boy with him, putting him beside a wooden cabinet not too unlike a wardrobe. “Do you know what it is? I didn’t when Dobby showed me the other day and I still have no clue.” He tossed Malfoy’s wand on the floor next to the cabinet.

Ginny walked around it and then opened a door on it and looked in. “Not a clue. Looks like he is trying to repair it.” She waved her hand at the various wooden parts on the floor around them. “Or else the parts were smuggled in one at a time and he’s trying to put it together.”

“Let’s find out,” he said. “Dobby come!”

The elf popped in with a small phial in his hand. “It is what master asked for. I also have master’s broom as requested.” The second item was placed on the floor.

Harry took the phial and pulled Draco’s head back and placed the three drops in his mouth. “Take it back and be careful my friend.”

Dobby took the phial and disappeared.

“So far so good,” Harry said, motioning her to stand behind Malfoy while he put the cloak back on and put a charm on himself to disguise his voice. When they were ready, he shot a Reviving spell at their captive.

As Draco Malfoy wakened, Harry asked, “Are you a Death Eater?”

Yes,” was returned in a monotone.

“What is this cabinet you’ve been working on?”

It’s a Vanishing Cabinet.”

“What’s it to be used for?”

To bring fellow Death Eaters into the castle.”

“Why?”

To kill Dumbledore.”

Harry blinked at that. “Did you give the cursed necklace to Katie Bell?”

Yes.”

“Why?”

“She was to give it to Dumbledore to kill him.”

While afraid of the answer, he had to ask, “How did you make her do it?”

I put her under the Imperious.”

He shook his head in disgust. “What did you have to do to earn the Dark Mark?” He was curious.

I was ordered to torture and rape a Muggle girl before I killed her.

“Do you know where the Dark Lord is staying?”

Yes.”

“Where?”

At Malfoy Manor.”

“Is his pet snake there too?”

Yes.”

Harry cast a Stunning spell and watched Malfoy’s head droop before pulling the cowl of his cloak back and removing the charm on his voice. “Unbelievable. He’s done every Unforgivable and plans to bring Death Eaters into the castle. There’s no predicting how many students would die during that.”

Ginny canceled the Obscuring charm on her face. “He’s worse than I thought. I still don’t like doing it because I have a conscience, but I’d agree he has to go if you think so.”

“I don’t want to do it, but I think it has to be done.” He shook his head again. “I bet if I took this to Dumbledore that he’d say he’s giving Malfoy a chance to change his mind and redeem himself.”

“And that Snape is helping,” she quipped.

He snorted. “No doubt.” He looked at the cabinet. “If we could fix it tonight, I’d step through it and cast a bunch of Fireball hexes before coming back and destroying this end. I think we’ll have to settle on destroying this one and Vanishing all the parts.”

“I can do that,” she volunteered.

Harry knew she wasn’t trying to get out of the other task as he’d already told her he’d do it. “Be sure you Vanish the wand too.” He picked up his broom and mounted it. Ginny helped levitated their victim over the front of the broom, lying on his stomach with a sticking charm to help hold him in place.

Harry asked the room for a large window that could be opened. “When you finish cleaning up his … things … set up a table and chairs and we can have dinner here before going back to the Tower.”

He pulled the cowl of the cloak back up and flew out the window slowly and spiraled down to the ground being careful to avoid windows. At ground level he made his way over to a ravine and flew in that until he was at the edge of the Forbidden Forest, careful to stay away from Hagrid’s hut, but keeping it in sight to know where he was.

Knowing his spells would make a little light, he flew a short ways into the forest and then started Vanishing Malfoy clothes; he wanted to remove even this evidence.

Flying to the top of the trees, he angled over to about where he thought the giant spiders were. Seeing shining silks in the top of a few trees over on the right, he started to spiral up in that direction until he was several hundred feet over the trees. Tipping his broom forward, he ended the Sticking charm and watched Malfoy slide off his broom and go plunging downward. The weight shift was larger than he was expecting and he didn’t get the broom back under control until he heard the crashing in the trees below.

With his broom normal now, he flew down towards the tops of the trees, careful of his height. He didn’t have to get too close to hear the loud chittering of the spiders. Glad that was done, Harry leveled out and returned to the Room of Requirement as he’d left.

As he flew in the window, he saw Ginny sitting at a table with food on it courtesy of Dobby, waiting for him. He closed the window and joined her. “I don’t think he’ll be found. At worst, Aragog will tell Hagrid about a body falling from the sky at night, but I really doubt that will happen.”

Ginny nodded, not looking like she was in a good mood.

“The Muggle world has standing armies of soldiers. I think I understand them a little better now,” he told her as he reached for a drink.

“How’s that?” she asked.

“Sometimes you have to do what you don’t like to protect others,” he replied. “I sort of thought the prophecy was barmy and it had been fulfilled when I was a baby.” Harry shrugged. “Maybe it was, but it seems like I’m going to end up having to kill old Snake Face whether I like it or not. To do that, some of his followers are going to have to go too -- like it or not.”

Ginny nodded. “I can’t argue against that, but I don’t like having to do it. I’d prefer to finish school, us get married, have a few children, and enjoy life.”

He noticed her blushing a bit as she went through the sequence and wondered if he was too. “That’s a nice plan; I hope it happens.”

She smiled shyly at him before returning to dinner.

When they finished dinner, they returned to Gryffindor Tower with Dobby cleaning up and returning his broom. Since it was a Friday night when most relaxed, their missing dinner and coming back midway through the evening wasn’t considered unusual, especially when they were holding hands, laughing, and giving each other looks that were only for the other.




The next morning, Dumbledore stood somberly as breakfast was starting and a few stragglers were still coming in. “If I may have your attention.” The room instantly quieted down.

“It seems we have a missing person and a teacher died last night.” There were gasps from all of the students.

“It appears that Professor Snape had an unknown health condition that claimed him last night while he was in his office. Professor Sinistra has agreed to take over as head of Slytherin house for the rest of the year. I shall teach Potions for the remaining month or so of this term and try to find a replacement by next term.” The murmurs rose for a moment.

“In addition, Draco Malfoy is missing and no one can recall seeing him after his last class. If anyone can provide more information, please come forward to any teacher so we can search for him more expediently.” Dumbledore sat down tiredly.

Ron looked gleeful. “Imagine, no more Snape or Malfoy; life will be a lot better now.”

“That’s a horrible thing to say,” Hermione admonished him.

“Why? We’re all thinking it,” Ron returned.

“I don’t believe everyone is thinking it,” she told him frostily. “I’m not.”

“It’s hard to get worked up about it though,” Neville added in, also getting a frown from Hermione.

“I agree with that,” Harry supported his friend. Several others, including Ginny, Dean, and Parvati, nodded. “If it makes you feel better, Hermione, it’s not that we wish them dead, it’s that we’re glad they’re not here anymore. That’s what Ron meant.”

“Thanks, mate,” Ron said, gesturing with his toast in a salute.

Hermione huffed and returned to her breakfast.

When they were leaving for their first class, Harry put his arm around Ginny’s shoulders and whispered, “I wonder what happened to Snape?”

“Don’t know,” she said just as quietly, “but the timing is interesting.”

“Indeed.”




At the end of the week, Albus Dumbledore walked into the weekly staff meeting and sat tiredly, the last to arrive. “My apologies, I was advising a student on Potions.”

“How is teaching that class going?” McGonagall asked innocently.

Dumbledore looked at her and wondered if that was really an innocent question based on the questioning looks he was getting from Flitwick and Sprout. “I have been surprised multiple times this week. Various fundamentals seemed to have not been stressed enough, and I’m not sure how Severus kept things under control. I need eyes in the back of my head at times.”

When Sprout and McGonagall smiled, he was sure he’d been set up. “Albus,” Sprout said gently, “we’ve told you for years that Severus has not been doing his job and you refused to listen. Now you know.”

Aurora Sinistra cleared her throat. “From some of the things I’ve heard in the Slytherin common room when I’ve been there, he didn’t do a very good job as head of house either. I regret having to speak ill of the dead, but I’m having to straighten out problems that are just short of chaos. Apparently the Malfoy boy was the cause of much of the trouble. If you find him, my suggestion would be to expel him and send him to Durmstrang.”

“Aurora!” Dumbledore said shocked.

“It’s the truth, Headmaster,” she insisted.

Dumbledore noticed that McGonagall, Sprout, and even Flitwick all looked smug. “You’ve all been sending the students to me, haven’t you?”

“Yes, Albus,” Flitwick admitted. “You are the Potions teacher now. We’re tired of having to tutor in the subject because none of our students would go speak to Severus.”

Minerva cleared her throat. “Albus, what are your thoughts about students joining Potions at this time? I’ve had over a dozen NEWT level students from multiple houses approach me asking that very question, many of whom told me before they didn’t want to take the class because Severus was teaching it.”

Albus leaned back in his chair. “All right, I get the message. As for the NEWT students, they can join the class in the new term assuming the professor that takes it over agrees.

“On to our next topic. Has there been any information shared regarding the disappearance of Draco Malfoy?” Dumbledore looked around.

Sinistra said, “I’ve heard that he had a habit this year of going off on his own quite a bit, especially up to the seventh floor somewhere, although the two that told me that were very tight-lipped about it, barely telling me that much. I’ve also heard he received a number of packages by owl this year, though no one knows what was in them. Perhaps a conversation with his mother is in order.”

“I’ve spoken with Mrs Malfoy,” Dumbledore answered. “She’s quite broken up about his disappearance as you can imagine. She had no suggestions on what might have led to his leaving, whether by his choice or someone else’s.”

McGonagall gasped. “Albus, surely you’re not suggesting someone did something permanent to Mr Malfoy.”

“I’m not suggesting anything since I have not a single clue as to what happened to him,” Albus returned slightly testily for the first time.

“Magic is a blessing and a curse,” Flitwick parroted the popular truism and received a few nods from the staff.

“Moving on,” Dumbledore said more normally, calming himself. “Poppey, anything unusual we need to be aware of?”




Harry was at the Weasley’s for Christmas and was just going to sleep on the cot in Ron’s room, made comfortable thanks to Dobby’s magic, when his elf shook him. He put his finger to his lips and whispered, “What’s wrong, Dobby?”

“Master need not worry, I’ve put a sleeping spell on friend like for babies. Master needs to know that while I was cleaning downstairs I heard four people come outside. They have white masks on and are trying to enter the house,” Dobby told him seriously.

“Crap,” he swore under his breath and searched for his shoes. “Go tell Ginny that I’m going out to take care of them. She can wake her parents if she wants to, but I’d suggest not to unless I call for help.” Throwing his heavy winter cloak over himself and grabbing his broom and wand, he opened the window quietly and looked out. He couldn’t see the main door since it was on the other side of the house, so hopefully they wouldn’t see him either.

Hoping it all worked out, Harry crawled out the window and pushed out as he pulled his broom under him. He was glad Ron’s room was so high. When he had control of the broom, he pulled out his wand and made a hard turn to heads towards the door in the cold air that his cloak did little to stop.

As he turned the corner, he saw the Death Eaters and started a Cutting curse, putting as much power into it as he could as he flew by, stretching the curse the entire length of the porch. Going around the house, he saw no others and slowed as he came back around for a second pass in case they were still able to fight. He didn’t have anything to worry about as all four were on the ground. He stunned each to make sure.

While he looked, he saw the door open and Ginny poke her head out. She joined him wand in hand and he saw she was wrapped up in her heavy cloak with slippers. “Is that all?” she asked quietly.

“Yeah, I didn’t see any others. They were standing together and I surprised them.” He checked them all and found all were breathing but bleeding heavily. He pulled the masks off of their faces. “I don’t recognize any of them,” he said as he held his lit wand near each. “I guess we need to tell your parents since you didn’t.”

“Since you stunned them, come in.” She closed the door and pulled him into a hug and didn’t let go. “I think a few minutes will be enough time.”

He understood what she was saying and held her just as tightly. “What a way to ruin Christmas,” he groused.

She sighed. “I know what you mean, but at least you were here and took care of them and we get to spend more time together.”

“True.” He held her a little longer before he called, “Dobby?”

“Yes, master?”

“Please release the spell on Ron, but don’t wake him if you can help it.” Harry watched the elf leave. “Go get your parents. I think we’ve waited long enough.”

“Got a story?” she asked.

“I was still awake and lying in bed when I heard them pop in before they walked around to try to get in.” He shrugged. “Other than it wasn’t me who heard them, it’s the truth.”

“Very good.” She stretched up and gave him a quick peck on the lips before she left.

Arthur was amazed to find the scene on his front porch, as well as the new gouges on the side of his house, which he told Harry not to worry about it as they were easily fixed. Molly was in shock to be attacked in their home, as was Ron.

The Aurors were not amused to find four dead Death Eaters so they couldn’t question anyone. Harry explained what happened and they took his statement. He was told he’d be contacted later -- he wasn’t.

The next morning, the Daily Prophet announced multiple attacks by Death Eaters at the homes of key Ministry officials in retaliation for Amelia Bones forcing loyalty oaths on all ministry workers that they didn’t and wouldn’t support anyone or group trying to overthrow the Ministry. That had also allowed them to catch eight Death Eaters. Twenty-two others without the Dark Mark had refused to take the oath and resigned.




Harry felt pretty good now. He’d finished the last of his sixth year exams yesterday then went to bed early and slept for twelve hours. That was mostly because he’d had both Charms and Defense exams, each had taken a lot out of him.

The others who’d had the same classes were dragging worse than he was if they were up at all. Presently, Ginny was leaning against him and barely nibbling on toast. Neither Ron nor Hermione were to be seen, and he knew Ron was in his own bed alone; Ginny had confirmed it was the same for all three of her dorm mates. There were only a couple of Hufflepuff sixth years present and one Ravenclaw -- all of who probably hadn’t taken both classes. Harry had no idea why the teachers had scheduled both classes on the same day. His only consolation for next year was that he knew they never scheduled more than one NEWT exam a day.

An owl landed in front of him with a fancy envelope, which he took and opened.

“What is it?” Ginny asked only a little less sleepily than before as she took another sip of tea.

“It’s a wedding invitation from Tonks. Apparently she and Remus are getting married and as Lord Black I’m invited. I also get to bring a friend if I want.” He grinned at her. “Want to go?”

“Sure, if I can get more sleep first,” she all but whined.

“It’s not for another month, so you have time for that and more,” he told her and put it all back in the envelope.

“Have you decided where you’re going to stay this summer?” she asked him. “You know you’re welcome at The Burrow.” Her tone left no doubt where she wanted him.

“I probably will,” he told her. “I appreciated your parent inviting me, but the most important thing is I don’t have to stay with the Dursleys. Ut-oh.”

“What?”

A few seconds later they heard a deep voice. “Harry, I’d like you to come with me to check out something. Also, I have some paperwork you’ll want to sign. I think right after dinner would be a good time as it will hide us from the Muggles.”

“As you wish, Headmaster,” Harry agreed before the man left. “I’m heading back to bed for a nap too then.”

“Hear, hear, and help me up,” Ginny told him raising her arms.

Harry chuckled but helped her up so they could walk back arm-in-arm leaning on each other. “Oh, how about a few protection spells and then napping together on a couch in the common room?”

“You’re brilliant, Harry! I’d love to sleep with you,” she told him sleepily.

Harry suspected she was half-asleep and didn’t realize what she’d actually said. Still, the idea was a nice one.

– – –

A much more refreshed Harry kissed Ginny on the cheek in the Great Hall after dinner as he followed Dumbledore out. He’d promised Ginny he’d be careful and he’d meant it.

In the man’s office, Dumbledore put a few official looking papers in front of him. “If you’ll sign that, Harry, the Goblins at Gringotts will release Bellatrix Lestrange’s vault to you. It has taken me months and a large amount of luck, but I believe we’ll find Hufflepuff’s cup is in there.”

“How did you do it?” Harry asked.

“It took me most of that time to find a few laws that work in our favor and that the Goblins were willing to uphold.” the older man answered. “The key was an old law that allows us to confiscate her vault because she was convicted to life imprisonment in Azkaban but escaped in addition to you being the head of House Black.”

“Interesting. So I do this and then we can search through those things. If found, then all we have left are the snake and Tom.” Harry read through the document and signed it, handing it back. “How did you think to look in there?”

“Very good, I’ll take care of that tomorrow.” Dumbledore looked at him for a long moment. “It was a dose a luck started by the idea that if Voldemort gave one Horcrux to a trusted person to hide, perhaps another had been handled the same way and Bellatrix Lestrange was the obvious person.

“Now,” Dumbledore gave him a very serious look, “I’ve found evidence of one other place that might have a Horcrux that we need to investigate in case the cup isn’t in the vault.”

“But if the cup is in the vault then we should have them all,” Harry protested.

“I believe that’s true, but we should check anyway,” the older wizard insisted.

“Fine, where is it?” Harry asked with resignation.

“In a cave off of the English Channel.”

Harry blinked and then laughed.

“What?” Dumbledore asked politely with tolerance.

“There’s no need to go. That’s where the locket was, but it’s already been retrieved,” Harry informed him.

“Oh, how?” Dumbledore was intrigued.

“I don’t know all of the details,” Harry told him, “but apparently Regulus Black had a change of heart about being a Death Eater and found out about the locket Horcrux and removed it from a cave by the sea. His last command to Kreacher was to destroy it, which the elf couldn’t do. He told me all of that when I asked him to bring me the locket before I brought it to you months ago.”

“Thank you for sharing that story. I suppose we’re done for the evening then,” Dumbledore told him. “By the way, have you had any more visions from Voldemort?”

“Not a one since the battle in the Ministry,” the boy answered.

“Any issues with touching or being near any of the Horcruxes?” the professor pressed.

“No. In fact, I’ve never felt better,” Harry said with a smile.

“Oh, well, that’s good to know,” Dumbledore said with a puzzled tone. “I must assume Voldemort is blocking the connection to you on his end, and that you are as well.”

“Actually, I haven’t been and I haven’t felt any intrusion at all. I’d say that whatever magical connection we had is gone,” Harry suggested.

“I assume,” Harry continued and gestured at the paperwork on the desk, “I’ll get a notification from Gringott’s in the next day or two then I’ll go get the cup and give it to you. So with that all done, when’s the assault on Voldemort?”

“First we’ll need to find him,” Dumbledore told him as if it should have been obvious.

“Get all the Aurors you can and storm Malfoy Manor. An elf told me he should be there. Have a good evening, Professor.” Harry left with a smile and looking forward to more cuddling time with his favorite redhead.

Back to index


Chapter 11: Chapter 11

Author's Notes: Here's the conclusion, I hope you enjoy it.


Chapter 11 -- Epilogue

Harry had indeed gone home with the Weasleys for the summer after his sixth year. However, on the first full day after the term had ended, he was seeing Dumbledore again, although this time in Gringotts. The old Professor accompanied him to see an account manager, who had him sign one more form, before they were taken down to the vaults.

Bellatrix Lestrange’s former vault was a good-sized vault in the high security area. The cup they were looking for was indeed there. Harry grabbed it and handed it to the man with him. “Here you go, Professor.”

“Thank you, my boy.” Dumbledore slipped it into an inside pocket that hid its contents as there wasn’t even a lump visible on the outside.

Harry helped himself to some Galleons since he was there and didn’t feel like taking the extra time to visit his normal vault. A brief look showed nothing else that was special so they left the vault. Knowing he’d need it later, he converted some of the Galleon into Pounds before he left the bank.

Dumbledore had promised to destroy the cup as soon as he returned to the school; he left first.

Harry took a side trip to #12 as he needed to have one more conversation with Kreacher. Before that and while he stood on the porch hidden from the outside world, he called his other helper and Dobby popped to him.

Kneeling down, Harry asked him, “How did it go?”

“Dobby was careful not to be seen. It is still as it was. Old Mistress is no longer there.” Dobby hung his head. “Dobby is not sure but believes Old Mistress may be gone for good.”

Harry considered that as the statement had two interpretations; he supposed he’d find out soon. He might as well continue on with his plan though and pulled out a letter he’d written after his last visit with Dumbledore when he was at school a few days ago. “Take this letter and go to the Ministry. Even if you have to wait, give this directly to Amelia Bones at the Ministry. If she says to put it on the desk or something in front of her, that counts too. Stay just long enough to ensure she doesn’t have a message for me. All right?”

“Dobby understands letter is for Minister only.” He took the letter and popped away.

Standing, Harry thought that would be the start of the end of the war, or at least he really hoped so. Going in the house, he headed for the room with the family tree. Looking it over, he finally found Narcissa Black and noticed it had a death date on it that was only a week after Draco had died. That family was officially gone; he wasn’t too bothered about that considering what he knew the family had done over the years.

Shaking his head, he called out, “Kreacher?!”

The elf popped in and with his usual surliness asked, “Master called?”

“Kreacher, I’ve considered your request of me. Is that what you still want most of all?” Harry was a bit sad by it, but only in a theoretical way. Emotionally he just couldn’t care given the circumstances.

The elf perked up. “Yes, Master.”

Harry nodded. “If all goes well then I shall summon you soon and grant your wish. In the meantime, please keep cleaning. Dobby will come see you soon to help you and you are to do whatever he asks.” Leaving the shocked elf, Harry returned to The Burrow via the Floo Network.

– – –

Amelia Bones had noticed a house-elf in her waiting room when she’d walked through it before a meeting an hour ago and again now as she returned. Before she entered her office she stopped near and asked, “What are your orders?”

“I have a letter for you only,” said Dobby.

That was said more bravely than most house-elves, causing Amelia Bones to wonder who this was from. “Follow me.”

Inside her office, she directed the letter to be placed on her desk where she casts multiple spells on it to check for traps and all came up empty. As she opened it, she noticed the elf stood there and looked around slowly. Reading it, she understood a lot more.

Giving it some thought, she looked at the elf. “Tell Mr Potter to be ready the day after tomorrow, very early in the morning. I’ll send more information tomorrow evening in the manner requested.”

Dobby bowed and snapped his fingers, disappearing. He’d give the message when his master was alone shortly.

Amelia Bones stuck her head out of her office and looked at her assistant. “Send for Scrimgeour and Shacklebolt; I want them here in an hour. Also tell Shacklebolt to send one of his Aurors out to find Alastor Moody and tell him I want him in my office as soon as possible as a consultant. Reactivate him if required.” She knew it would take a while to find Moody.

While the surprised assistant hurried to do those orders, Bones used her Floo connection to conscript a Headmaster -- although she expected he’d want help anyway.

The Dark Wizard Voldemort was still out there and troublesome, but his followers were more of an annoyance now that they had been thinned out some and didn’t have any followers embedded in the Ministry. If it all went her way, Bones was determined to remove those problems too.




Late in the afternoon of the next day, Arthur Weasley came home to find not only their summer visitor there, but another one too. “Hermione, this is a surprise.”

“Hello, Mr Weasley. I hope you don’t mind that I came over, but Harry and Ron invited me,” she told him.

“No, no, not at all.” Arthur looked at the others there. Only his wife was missing from the living room but he could hear her in the kitchen. Pulling out a letter, he held it out. “Harry, I was given this to give to you.”

“Yes, I was expecting that. It’s part of why we invited Hermione over,” he said as he tore the envelope open and began to read immediately.

“So there’s another reason?” Hermione asked, her tone hinting at displeasure for not telling her sooner.

Harry shoved the letter in his pocket a moment later. “We did want to see you, but yes, I knew something would probably,” he stressed the uncertainty, “come up you’d want to be a part of.”

Arthur grew a little nervous. “I was told to come into work very early tomorrow.” He paused and gathered himself. “Are you supposed to be a part of that too?”

“Yes,” Harry answered confidently. “I have a special request from the Minister for myself and my closest friends.” He patted his pocket that he’d shoved the note into. “I’d also like to invite Neville and Luna to join us this evening. I’ll gladly give you money for the extra food.”

“No, that’s not required,” Arthur said waving his hand from side-to-side. “While I don’t know exactly what’s going on, I do know it is an action being taken on by the whole of the DMLE and that makes me nervous for bringing you along.” He looked at his daughter, “That includes two underage witches as well.”

“We’ll be more observers than anything else,” Ginny replied.

“Wait?!” Hermione cried and Ron looked put out too. “How do you know what’s going on?”

“Harry only told me yesterday after he had already arranged it with the Minister,” Ginny answered smoothly.

Reaching into his pocket, Harry pulled the note back out and handed it to the father. “Maybe this will make you feel better. It explains what Ginny just said.”

Arthur read the note then handed it back. “I see. Molly will not like it, but at least I’ll be there to supervise. We’ll also all need to head to bed early. I also better tell Molly we’ll have two more visitors for dinner.”

“Harry, what’s going on?” Ron asked, upset he hadn’t been told either.

“Let me ask Neville and Luna to come over with an overnight bag and I’ll explain all at once.” Harry knelt down in front of the fireplace and made the calls. Just before dinner was to be served, Neville and Luna arrived. After dinner Harry explained about the operation tomorrow, but still didn’t mention the prophecy so that Ginny was the only one fully in the know.

Ron was mollified and a little excited. Neville was nervously excited. Luna was as calm as ever. Hermione was satisfied with most of his answers but nervous about tomorrow. Ginny just held his hand and supported him as she normally did for which he was grateful.




At three in the morning, Dobby shook Harry awake. Harry blinked in the low light and also saw he was the first among the boys to awaken. Deciding now was as good a time as any to ask before they were busy and around others, Harry whispered, “Dobby, are you still all right with what I’ll be asking Kreacher to do?”

Dobby expression clouded. “Kreacher doesn’t deserve any honor for getting his former master killed, but Master is a good master anyway for letting him still serve.”

Harry forced himself to work through that and thought he understood. “Thanks. Has Kreacher told you everything you need to know as I ordered him to do?”

Dobby nodded and his ears flapped slightly. “Yes, Dobby knows what he needs.”

“Very well,” Harry said with some resignation, “please make sure the girls are up and if they’re not then gently wake Ginny.”

Dobby nodded and left.

With effort from his barely six hours of sleep, Harry forced himself out of bed and shook the others awake. Neville was easy, but Ron almost required a face full of water -- almost.

After getting dressed, Harry headed downstairs to see that the two Weasley parents were already up and the Mrs was cooking breakfast. She didn’t look happy when she saw him but didn’t argue with him either, having expressed her displeasure last night about their plans for today.

The boys had barely sat and started serving themselves when the girls came down, led by Luna who seemed to be fully awake. Even Hermione seemed to have work to do what normally came naturally every morning. Ginny took the seat next to him and leaned against him. “It’s really early,” she whispered into the quiet that was broken only by the occasional sound of cutlery on plates.

“Yes it is,” he agreed with his own whisper before pouring her a cup of tea and placing it front of her. She patted him on the back as a thank you before taking it.

At fifteen before four, the seven left a worried Molly Weasley and took the Floo to the Ministry. Several groups of Aurors were leaving with a Portkey. There was also a group with gray cloaks that shimmered in the light when they moved.

“Who are they?” Harry asked quietly and pointed at the group in the gray cloaks who disappeared just after he’d asked his question.

“Unspeakables,” Ginny said sleepily, earning a surprised look from her father, though she didn’t notice. Harry nodded his thanks as Arthur lead them towards the front where Albus Dumbledore could be clearly seen next to the Minister -- Bones, the Director of the Magical Law Enforcement -- Scrimgeour, and the Head Auror -- Shacklebolt, plus Alastor Moody.

A moment later, Dumbledore noticed them and stepped over. “Right on time. If you’ll grab the Portkey, we’ll head to the command tent.” He held out an old yard stick for the seven to touch before he activated it.

Upon arriving, several Aurors pointed their wands at them until it was noticed who they were. The Minister, Director, and Head Auror arrived a moment later. They were flollowed closely by Moody with another squad of Aurors.

After getting her bearings, Bones walked over to him. “Good morning, Mr Potter, or at least I hope it will be.”

“As I do I, Minister,” he replied. “If you’ll give me a moment I’ll check on the status.” She gave him a curt nod and turned to Scrimgeour for a conversation while she waited.

Harry stepped back a few steps and called, “Dobby, come!” When the elf popped in, he knelt down. “Is it all still good?”

“Yes, Master,” Dobby replied. “Snake man and big snake are inside and all are asleep. There are also no more elves in the house.”

“Very good,” he said before looking up at the Minister. “He’s there and all are asleep.” Harry was thrilled and lucky Dobby was still keyed into the wards, an oversight by Lucius Malfoy four years ago.

“A very nice resource to have someone who can go check,” Bones said with admiration. She looked at her watch. “We start in five minutes, and you said you needed one minute in front of that, which is when the Unspeakable will throw up the Anti-Apparation and Anti-Portkey wards which is likely to get their attention. In case you’re wondering, the Floo from that house will go to a very special cell.”

“That’s good to know, thank you. I better prepare my surprise.” Harry noticed Dumbledore was paying very close attention to him.

Looking around, Harry spied Tonks not far away watching and he nodded at her, getting a nod back. As arranged with Bones, Tonks was his protector, beyond Ginny. Looking at Ginny, he got a nod from her. As a last resort, there was Dobby but he wouldn’t be with Harry the entire time.

“Harry,” Hermione spoke up quietly, “why did Dobby answer you?”

He looked at her. “Hermione, that and a few other questions are going to have to wait. Please hold all other questions no matter how much you want to object because there are circumstances you’re not aware of. So please, not a word; I’ve asked Ginny to silence you if you try to interfere.”

“Harry!” she objected.

He ignored her and remained kneeling. “Kreacher come!”

The old elf popped in instantly and looked expectantly but didn’t say anything for once.

“Kreacher, has anything changed in your decision on your last wish? I order you answer truthfully. ” Harry watched carefully.

“No, Master, nothing has changed.”

Harry looked at his watch and saw it was almost time. “Come with me.”

Everyone near Harry followed him as he walked quickly out of the tent and to the back so the tent was between them and Malfoy Manor. He used his wand to draw a white circle on the ground that could barely be seen by the light of the moon.

“Someone please conjure a small torch so we’ll have a little light but not too much,” Harry asked of the group. It was Dumbledore who took care of the task so the circle could be seen a little better.

“Kreacher, you are to let Dobby take you into the house. He will take you to a room that has a big snake in it. You are to bring the snake out and put it into the circle I just drew as fast as you can. After that, I will grant you your last and greatest wish. Do you have any questions?”

“No, Master.”

Harry looked at Tonks who was near the opening to the tent. She suddenly looked at him and pointed.

“Go now you two and be bloody careful!” Harry was looking more at Dobby but also looked at Kreacher.

Dobby grabbed Kreacher’s arm and the two were gone.

“Harry Potter, what are you doing with them? Have you--” Hermione’s shrill hiss was cut off by a spell from Ginny.

“Not now,” Ginny hissed at their friend.

“Everyone, form a semi-circle around the circle on the ground and be ready for a snake to appear. Everyone needs to try to kill it,” Harry ordered them as he rose and pointed his wand at the circle. “Try not to hit the elf.

Dobby popped in next to him and a breath later Kreacher appeared in the circle with Nagini coiling around him and trying to bite him.

Harry was never sure if it was his spell or someone else’s, but someone cut the thrashing snake’s tail off which drove it mad. That action also caused the snake to release Kreacher just enough Harry was able to cut the snake’s head off with a spell. Its death throes spewed blood all over the place for a few seconds as an unearthly shriek was heard.

When the snake fell limp, Harry stepped forward hurriedly to kneel next to Kreacher who was lying on the ground and panting heavily. “Kreacher?” Lighting his wand as he knelt, he saw the blood of the snake on the elf as well as a fang as long as his finger sticking in the elf’s shoulder. “Kreacher, you have served the House of Black well today. Join your ancestors with honor.”

“Thank you, Master,” the elf said in his panting. Raising his uninjured arm, he snapped his fingers one last time. In a small burst and cloud of blood he was gone, his towel and the fang that had been in his shoulder falling to the ground.

Taking a deep breath, Harry rose and looked at Dumbledore. “He’s mortal.”

Dumbledore looked sad but nodded. “I believe so, but we shall learn soon, or I do hope we shall.”

A blasting sound was heard and the early morning dark sky was lit with spell fire, seen even though shielded by the tent.

Harry looked at his friends. “Fire spells as you wish or just watch. Also, protect Ginny and Luna.” He saw Arthur give him a grateful look. He’d actually forgotten about her father being there. Turning he walked towards the battlefield, everyone with him following.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Hermione backhand Ginny on the shoulder and point at her mouth. Ginny grinned but undid the silencing spell. “Just you wait,” Hermione hissed angrily before she strode to the other side of Neville and away from the couple.

“Thanks,” Harry told his girlfriend as they joined the ring of Aurors and other Ministry personnel that were firing spells at the house. Chunks were falling and the house was on fire. Harry cast a Blasting hex too.

“My pleasure,” Ginny told him lightly before casting her own spell. “There are times and places for questions, which also means there are times and places not to ask too.”

Harry nodded as he cast another spell.

Suddenly, people started running out of the house and fired spells back in random directions. The spells of the Aurors who saw them now concentrated on the escapees. One person even leaped into the air and looked like he was trying to fly away except that his flight sputtered and he fell to the ground.

Harry recognized that last person and started forward slowly while casting spells at him exclusively. “Hit the one I’m casting at,” he shouted to those around him. Several others heard and joined him, including Dumbledore and Ginny who flanked him on either side.

Voldemort was having to shield to protect himself. Out on a front lawn there was nothing to hide behind. He tried a few area spells, but people shielded against them. Single spells were just dodged by stepping to the side for a moment.

Dumbledore cast a spell and Voldemort’s shield went down just before Harry’s next Blasting hex arrived and turned the Dark Wizards’s head into a mushy mess.

Watching and listening, neither Harry nor Dumbledore saw or heard anything from Voldemort.

“Headmaster, we got him!” Harry shouted enthusiastically. He was puzzled when he saw Dumbledore watching him closely and with his wand pointing near him. “What?”

Dumbledore continued to watch him for a long moment before he started to relax and actually smile. “Yes, Harry, I think we did get him.”

Harry turned to Ginny and grabbed her and kissed her hard, even if her father was standing not too far away. Surely the man would understand.

Spells eventually petered out and almost everyone stood around and watched the house burn. A few Aurors were processing the Death Eaters who’d run out of the house. Most were dead, but a few would stand trial.

As the sun was coming up, Harry found the Minister who was in good spirits. “Thank you, Mr Potter,” she said happily. “Your help has been invaluable.”

“I’m just glad to put this behind us,” he told her while still holding Ginny’s hand.

“As am I. I believe Arthur has a Portkey for your group to return home. Again, thank you for all of your help starting with last summer.” Bones shook his hand warmly before turning to issue a few orders to start the cleanup.

Mr Weasley wasn’t far away and he was ready to leave as well now that the battle was over. He pulled out some rope and held it out. Soon the seven were back at The Burrow to see a very relieved looking Molly … who had a second breakfast ready for them. Ron was grateful for that and ate heartily; the others joined and ate at least some.

When Hermione fixed him with a determined look, Harry knew what was coming and braced himself.

“Harry James Potter, I’ve ignored some of the things you’ve done this year, but I’ll not ignore this. What have you done with those elves? You know how I feel about slavery. I hope you didn’t really bind them to you. It also looked like you ordered Kreacher to his death, so explain yourself!” she demanded.

Sitting up a little straighter, he said, “Hermione, how many minutes have you spent talking to house-elves and asking about themselves and their culture?”

“I don’t need to ask about them in regards to bonding them,” she returned hotly. “Slavery is always wrong.”

He sighed. “I would guess that would be about zero minutes then. Look Hermione, I’ve actually sat down and talked with both Dobby and Kreacher for an extended time, although I’ve spent more time with Dobby. Hermione, all I’m going to say on the subject of bonding Dobby is that he asked for it and they don’t see it the same way you do. I’ll be happy to discuss it with you later if you’ll spend at least thirty minutes listening to a house-elf explain how he sees the world. That’s not thirty minutes of you asking questions, that’s you asking a few questions and then thirty minutes listening to the answers and preferably taking notes.

“As for Kreacher, it wasn’t as you think it was. I’ve had multiple conversations with him, and as you heard this morning, his greatest wish hasn’t changed: he wanted to join his ancestors but his magic kept him here to serve me and the house he was bound to. Since he wanted to die anyway, I used him to get the snake we needed to kill. Without killing that snake first, Voldemort couldn’t have been fully killed. So I prevented a number of Aurors from losing their life and Kreacher got his greatest wish. I believe they call that a win-win.”

“Then you let him commit suicide and that’s wrong too,” Hermione retorted.

Harry noticed everyone else was studiously ignoring the argument in front of them, except for Ginny who was quietly fuming and glaring at their friend. “Hermione, you may see it that way, but they don’t. No,” he held up his hand when she opened her mouth, “please don’t say anything else until you’ve talked with them and I personally believe you’re going to find that very hard. Even Dobby doesn’t want to talk to you.”

“Why?” she demanded.

“I’m sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but since you’re my friend I’m willing to tell you the truth: you offend them,” Harry told her matter-of-factly.

“Offend them?” she was indignant. “How could I offend them when I stand up for them?”

“I thought I’d already explained that,” Harry told her tiredly. “You’re trying to force your views on them, views they don’t hold. You’re so smart, Hermione, but in this case you haven’t applied yourself very well. I honestly don’t want to hear any more about this until after you’ve had a long conversation with an elf.”

Hermione just glared at him.

“He’s right,” Neville said quietly and looked at her. “I’ve only spent a little time talking to our elves and I’ve found they view some things very differently.”

As Hermione turned her glare on Neville, Harry stood and left the table. She’d come around and understand some day. At least they’d been successful this morning. The Ministry had come around and figured out how to fight Dark Wizards eventually. If they could change, Hermione could too.

The fight this morning had turned out not to be as hard as he’d feared because of all of the work done by Amelia Bones and others over the past months to remove the Death Eater influence from the Ministry. The Aurors had also captured some Death Eaters beyond the ones he and Ginny had removed. The Aurors, the Unspeakables, Dumbledore, and even himself and his friends had all worked together instead of anyone having to do it on their own.

He felt a hand on his back and a body press against his. “Are you all right? I know I wanted to say a few things about her being so stupid for a person who’s so smart.”

Harry snaked an arm around Ginny’s shoulders. “I’m fine. I love her dearly and I know her heart’s in the right place, but I think it’s just hard for me to listen to because I do know what I’m talking about better than she does.”

“She’ll come around eventually,” Ginny told him. “How are you feeling about Tom being gone and that not hanging over you now? Better?”

“Yeah,” he said with a smile, “it’s really nice to be over that. I’m sure there were a few Death Eaters that weren’t there this morning and there are a number of people who sympathized with him, but I hope they’re in the minority and all of us can move past that.”

“I hope so too. I have plans for us,” she told him softly.

Harry kissed the side of her head and enjoyed the moment and the feeling of the morning sun that seemed to promise a good day.




“Are you sure you don’t need me today?” Ginny asked.

Harry smiled at her. “I need you, but not for this trip I think.”

“All right, be sure you’re back by six,” she told him, “and again, happy birthday, Harry.”

“Thanks, Gin. I love you.” He kissed her quickly.

As he was leaving he heard her say, “I love you too, Harry.”

That put a smile on his face as he went to Diagon Alley and then to Gringotts. It didn’t take long before he was on his way to the Potter family vault.

It took a couple of hours of looking around before he felt like he knew everything that was here and had made an inventory that he could take with him of the most important items. Sadly, there was nothing special from his parents. He went to the Black family vault and inventoried it too.

When he was done, he had a list of three properties that he hadn’t already known about. Since it was about time for lunch, he headed home after a brief conversation with the vault manager. He had the contents of Bella’s former vault (who’d died yesterday) moved into the Black family vault. He also asked for the contents of his trust vault to be moved into the Potter family vault.

He made it home just in time for lunch. “Want to go visit houses with me?” he asked his girlfriend quietly, not really wanting to take Ron along. “I have three to check out.”

“OK,” she said with a bright smile.

“What’s up?” Ron asked from across the table, not hearing the actual words.

“I need to go look at some things about my family,” Harry told him. “I imagine even Ginny would be bored if I wasn’t her boyfriend.”

Ron shrugged. “That’s fine, have fun then.”

Ginny smirked at him and Harry just returned a smile at her.

After telling her mother and promising to be back before six, they walked to the road and called the Knight Bus. As they went to the first address, Harry told her, “Other than #12 which I think I’ll sell, I have one property from the Potters and two from the Blacks to look at and see if I’d like to live there. If not, I guess I can sell them and try to find someplace else to stay.”

“That doesn’t sound so boring. I guess you didn’t want Ron to tag along,” she teased.

He leaned over and gave her a quick kiss. “You got it in one.”

The Potter property turned out to be a small flat and it was quite dirty, having not been lived in for years. “I’d guess it came from my mum,” he said as they looked at it.

“It’d be all right for one or two people,” Ginny told him, “but you’d have to be careful about magic here, or so I think.”

“I do wonder why it was purchased instead of rented though; plus there’s nothing here,” he said as they finished looking around the empty flat.

“No idea,” she replied.

“Dobby, come!”

“Master called?” the elf said as he popped in and looked around with delight.

“Dobby, no hurry on this, but when you have time could you please clean this place up?” Harry asked. “I think I’d like to sell it.”

“Yes, Harry Potter, Sir! Dobby would enjoy cleaning this place.”

Harry and Ginny looked at each other and grinned while shaking their heads. “No hurry, Dobby, just some time in the next couple of weeks.”

The Knight Bus took them to the next one. This one was out in the country much like The Burrow was. It was an older house, also in need of repair and cleaning.

“This is sort of nice,” Ginny said as she looked around. “It’s roomy without being so huge I’d feel lost in it.”

“I like the rolling hills out front and the wide porch to sit on,” Harry told her as they continued to look around. “It’s got room to fly on too, though we’d probably have to put up protections to disguise us.”

“Yeah,” Ginny said as they walked into the bedrooms and poked around. “Dad has something that makes us look like birds in the paddock, if Muggles were ever to see us. You should ask him about it.”

“After cleaning it could use some new paint and rugs and such, not to mention some nice furniture, but I think I could live here,” Harry told her as they returned to the ground floor.

“The kitchen could use some updating,” Ginny said as she looked around. “Oh, there’s a good place out there,” she pointed out the window, “for a garden.”

Harry looked at his list. “The third property is actually in Hogsmeade. It’s supposed to be pretty special to live there because there’s a limited number of houses.”

Ginny wrapped her arms around his neck. “I know we’re still only boyfriend and girlfriend, even if we are serious about each other, but if we did…” she paused before rushing on, “marry one day, I’d prefer to live here than in Hogsmeade.”

He held her closely before leaning down and giving her a kiss that turned into a snogging session for several minutes and had her pushed up against the wall, not that she complained. “You keep mentioning that,” he whispered as he trailed kisses down the side of her face.

“I don’t want you to forget about it,” she told him breathily as her hands roamed lower and lower on his back until they were on his trousers while his hands were going up and down her sides. “Oh Merlin, Harry, you we need to stop or we’ll be doing things that will make us late for your party.”

“Promises, promises,” he murmured before kissing her deeply and finally stepping back with both of them practically panting.

“Dobby, come!” he called after a moment to catch his breath.

“Master calls again?” The elf said after a pop.

“Yes. Dobby, after you clean the flat from earlier today, please start cleaning this place.” Harry looked at Ginny and smiled. “I think I’ll end up living here after I finish Hogwarts.”

“Dobby will be happy to clean here too. Can Dobby ask a question?”

“Always, my friend.” Harry knelt down on one knee to put him more at the level Dobby was.

“Winky is not doing well without a family and she needs a home too. She’d be good for children. Could Master bring Winky into the family too?” the elf asked hopefully.

Harry looked at Ginny who looked as amused as he felt. He wondered if Dobby liked Winky but he wasn’t about to ask. “I can do that if you can bring her here.”

Dobby didn’t say anything but grinned manically and popped away only be back a moment later with said elf who really didn’t look too well.

A few minutes later Harry had bonded with Winky who instantly perked up. “Rest and get better and then you can start cleaning here. If you need anything, ask Dobby,” Harry told the grateful elf.

Going outside, Harry Side-Along Apparated Ginny back to The Burrow. “That was really sweet of you,” she told him.

“I have no problem helping Winky out, but no mentioning this to Hermione,” he said seriously.

Ginny actually laughed. “Absolutely not.”

Harry had a wonderful evening, made even better because Hermione didn’t mention house-elves all evening.




The next weekend, Harry came down from Ron’s bedroom and stopped to lean in Ginny’s doorway to watch her finish getting ready. “Looking good,” he commented with a grin. “I’ll also say that’s a look I’ve never seen before.”

“Do you like it?” she asked as she stepped back from the mirror and did a slow twirl for him.

“I do. I’ve never seen you wear make-up or wear earrings before, but it looks good,” he told her.

“Lavender helped me at the end of the year. I told her I wanted to be able to go into Muggle London and look normal,” she replied as she joined him and they started going downstairs.

“You won’t have a problem looking like that. Also, if you’re not sure what to do just do what everyone else is doing,” he said as they walked into the kitchen area where her parents were.

“Where are you going looking like that?” her mother asked, looking her daughter up and down.

“I told you Harry was taking me to Muggle London so we could watch a football game at a pub,” Ginny said, a little put out her mother hadn’t remembered. “This is what Muggle girls look like. A friend at school who lives in the Muggle world helped me.”

“That sounds like fun,” her father said with a big smile. “Can you bring me back a new plug or maybe some new batteries?”

“Arthur!” his wife called in exasperation, who turned so his wife couldn’t see his face and winked at the kids.

“You two have fun and please don’t use magic among the Muggles,” he pleaded lightly.

“Don’t worry, Mr Weasley, we’ll be fine,” Harry assured both of them and escorted Ginny to the fireplace and with a pinch of Floo Powder each they went to the Leaky Cauldron.

They went into the Muggle world and down a few blocks to a pub Harry had searched out earlier in the week. “Sorry I couldn’t get tickets to a real game as they were sold out, but I can try sooner next summer if you like this.”

“It’s all right, Harry,” she told him, happy to be out with him. “This might be better as there won’t be so many people together like in the stadiums you told me about.”

Inside the crowded pub, they secured two seats at a table with a couple named Desmond and Molly who were only about ten years older than they were. The couple was friendly enough but generally left the teens to themselves. The game was about to start on the big telly on the wall, so Harry ordered drinks and food for them.

Ginny leaned over and whispered, “Who do I root for?”

“Let’s just see who everyone else here likes and cheer them on too,” he replied. “Do you remember the basic rules I told you?”

“Yes,” she still whispered. “You score by kicking the ball into the goal. The one in front of the goal is the goalie and he can use his hands but the others can’t.”

“Good enough for now,” he assured her as his order was delivered. He set Ginny’s portion in front of her; she looked at it with interest and smiled in delight after a sip of the fizzy drink.

It was soon obvious who the crowed liked and Ginny was cheering along with them, as did Harry. He scooched his chair over so he was next to her and could put his arm around her as they watched the game. He smiled as he considered doing more events like this with her. Yeah, he could get used to this.




Harry and Ginny walked hand and hand from Hogwarts down to Hogsmeade to catch the Hogwarts express for the last time. They each had survived taking their NEWTs recently. Harry had had a great year as Head Boy. He had given the Quidditch Captain’s badge to Ginny so he wouldn’t be so overworked and because it might help her get on the Holyhead Harpies team. They had also enjoyed their time together and yesterday he’d put an engagement ring on her finger.

After the ride back to London, the six friends all said good-bye to each other and promised to keep in touch, with each leaving on their own. Even Luna Apparated home on her own having recently turned seventeen.

Ginny had a side-trip planned before they went home though. “Ron, tell Mum or Dad that Harry and I’ll be home in a bit. We need to take care of something first.”

Ron rolled his eyes. “Don’t you get enough snogging time in already?” he asked in boredom before he left with a crack, not waiting for an answer.

The two looked at each other and laughed. “If he only knew what we’d done in my room at times,” Harry said with fondness and Ginny agreed.

Ginny reached up by standing on her toes and kissed him quickly. “I’m looking forward to that last step, but that won’t be today. Let’s go to the Ministry.” She let go of his hand and Apparated, even if her mother thought she wasn’t supposed to do that.

Harry followed her, his trunk shrunken and in his pocket as was true for her too.

As they walked through the atrium, he asked her, “Is this where you tell me the big secret you’ve hinted at several times?”

She smiled prettily at him. “Actually, yes. We have an appointment with the person who can make that happen.”

“Ooh, mysterious,” he teased her.

“That’s a good guess, actually,” she teased back.

“What?”

She just smiled at him and led him to the elevators after they passed through security. She pressed the button for the tenth floor.

“We’re going back to the Department of Mysteries?” he asked surprised and a little nervous.

She just smiled at him and pulled him along when they reached their floor. Walking in the door at the end, they were in the spinning room. “Offices,” she said and the doors spun around and the door in front of them opened.

As Harry was about to ask how she knew to do that, he saw a man in one of the gray cloaks that tended to shimmer at times.

“Who are you and how did you get in here?” he asked gruffly.

“I have an appointment with Croaker,” she told him firmly.

Harry also noticed her arm that was sort of behind his back move slightly and guessed she was going for a wand. He almost asked what she thought she was doing when the man snorted and said sarcastically, “Right, sure you do. I said leave.”

She just whipped out her wand and stunned the man silently.

“Ginny! You can’t do that!” He admonished her, his voice rising in pitch and volume in a slight panic.

“He was being an idiot so I can,” she told him and pulled him forward, stepping over the downed Unspeakable.

They had barely gone three steps when a pair of Unspeakables rounded the corner. An older looking man looked at the one on the floor and sighed while the older woman brought her hand to her face and seemed be trying to cover a laugh.

“I suppose that’ll teach Liam a lesson,” the man said, “well, maybe. I do hope he’s only stunned?”

“Yes,” Ginny answered.

“Good enough, come on.” He returned the way he’d come from. The woman shot another amused look at Liam but didn’t wake him. When they’d passed her, she brought up the rear position. A moment later they were in what looked like a much smaller version of the hospital wing at Hogwarts.

As the woman closed the door, the man said, “I’m Algernon Croaker and this is Betty.” He indicated his associate. “As the director of this group, welcome to the Department of Mysteries -- officially.”

Harry winced. “Err, sorry about the mess a couple of years ago.”

Croaker waved it off. “Stuff happens, as they say. It was a lot of work to put things right, but some good came out of it as well.” He looked at the two of them. “Ms Weasley has requested that I tell you, or really allow her to tell you, her secret.”

“Why is that if it’s her secret?” Harry wanted to know. “Why does she need your permission?”

Croaker grinned. “Because it’s not entirely her secret to tell, is it Ms Weasley?” They all saw Ginny hang her head and shake it slowly. “Are you sure about this? I’ll only allow it for one person ever; that was my agreement.”

Ginny smiled and held up her left hand.

“Oh, so lovely,” Betty gushed. “How did it happen?”

“Betty!” Croaker admonished her, “We’re handling business.”

“Hush for a moment, Algie,” Betty retorted and looked at Ginny. “Maybe just the short version for now.”

Ginny nodded. “He took me on a broom to the top of the school near sunset. As we looked out over the entire area and it was so pretty, he asked me. I almost fell off the roof in shock, but fortunately he’d picked a place that was fairly flat. It was very dark before we came in,” Ginny ended in a blush.

Betty cooed but Croaker just waved his hand. “Yes, yes,” he said hurriedly, “I’m sure it was a lovely time. Very well, I shall release you from your previous Unbreakable Vow and we’ll make a new one that’s the same with a condition for Mr Potter to know too.”

“Wait!” Harry called in surprise. “You made an Unbreakable Vow?!”

“It was either that or be obliviated; I chose the Vow,” she told him. “It’s all right, Harry. Be patient for a little longer and then you’ll know the last of my secrets.”

“You’ll also need to take a similar vow, Mr Potter,” Croaker told him and handed him a slip of parchment with the vow on it.

Harry was uncomfortable with this as he read it, but he nodded in the end. “For Ginny.”

It didn’t take long for Croaker to undo the Vow on Ginny since it was made to him before a new one was done that allowed “Harry James Potter” to know. Then Harry made his Unbreakable Vow to Croaker with Betty being the bonder again.

When it was done, Betty said, “Ginny, I’d like to do a follow-up exam on you, since you’re here.”

Ginny sighed and nodded, she’d expected this.

“Mr Potter, if you’d be so kind, would you take this stick and do a spell, any spell with it?” Croaker asked. “Don’t worry, it won’t really do the spell, but please act like it’s a wand.”

Harry shrugged and cast a tickling charm on Ginny, who didn’t laugh as nothing came out. Croaker took the stick back and looked. “A very respectable 103.”

Ginny twisted around. “Really, a 103?”

“Is that bad?” Harry asked.

“Merlin, no,” Betty said as she finished with Ginny. “Speaking of which, there is a lot of debate, but it’s believed Merlin would register somewhere between 120 and 150.”

“Yes, there is a LOT of debate about that,” Croaker said as he put the stick in his robes. “We’re done, thank you for your cooperation, Mr Potter. Ms Weasley, it’s good to see that you’re doing well with no side-effects. We’d like to see you again in five years for another check-up; we’ll be in touch about that as the time nears. Betty will see you out.” Croaker gave them a nod and left.

Betty looked at the pair and smiled as she led them out. “I think you two look good together.” Looking at Ginny, she said, “I’m glad it all worked out for you.”

“Thank you, I couldn’t have done it without your help,” Ginny told her, “all of it.”

“Err, I thought you were going to tell me your secret,” Harry spoke up.

“Oh, she can tell you any time now without penalty,” Betty said. “Pick somewhere very private and put up privacy charms.” They rounded a corner and saw two Unspeakables standing over the very first one who was still unconscious on the floor.

“Betty,” one called out, “he seems only stunned, but would you know why he’s stunned?”

The woman laughed. “As this young lady said, because Liam was being an idiot. I knew about it and left him. Feel free to make fun of him.”

Leading the teens into the circular room and closing the door, Betty called out, “Exit”. When the door opened on the tenth floor, Betty leaned forward and gave Ginny a hug. “Congratulations my dear and good luck in the future.”

“Thanks again,” Ginny told her, her eyes watering.

“Good-bye as well, Mr Potter. Hang on to her as she’s very special.” With a smile, Betty closed the door and disappeared.

Ginny grabbed his hand and led him back to the elevators. “We’ll have to go home and have dinner, but after dinner we can go to your home and talk after we put the Muffling charm in place.”

Harry understood the precaution, but he was amazed at what he’d heard here and wondered just what Ginny had gotten herself into.

– – –

It had taken longer than expected to leave The Burrow as Ginny’s mother had wanted to talk about the engagement and future wedding, which Ginny didn’t plan to have for some months. Eventually they had managed to get away with a vague “we’ll be back later”.

They’d arrived to find a cleaned house that now just needed furniture and decorations.

Three hours later, Ginny’s voice was tired even with all the water she’d drank while telling her story of her lost year. Harry had been a good listener and only interrupted her a few times.

“Well?” she asked when she’d finished.

Harry shook his head. “That’s almost unbelievable. I also understand now why you were able to get rid of the Death Eaters; you had a long time to think about what to do and weren’t only caught up in the battle.”

Ginny nodded. “True.” She hesitated for a moment. “Harry, are you all right with what happened? Do you still love me now that you know what I did?”

He snorted and moved close and pulled her into a hug. “I’m fine with it all, really. In fact, I’m amazed you were able to live by yourself for most of a year and survive. I also have no problem with sending the Death Eaters onward. Besides, I’d be a hypocrit if I said yes after what I did to little Malfoy.

“Oh, I forgot to mention that Narcissa is dead, probably killed by Voldemort after Draco died. Since you got Lucius they’re all gone.”

Ginny nodded. “That’s probably for the best considering what the family has done over the years.

“As for my time away,” she continued, “I’m pretty sure Betty wouldn’t have let me die, but you’re right that it was quite the experience. I definitely wouldn’t have made it without her. It changed me and how I think. I definitely wasn’t so innocent after that.”

“It also explains how you were able to take your OWLs when you did,” he told her.

“Harry, would you be bothered if I didn’t play Quidditch professionally or maybe only did for a few years?”

“What?! I thought that was your dream.” He was very surprised.

“It was,” she replied as she held him close, “but like I said, I’ve changed and I’m not so sure I care as much about about that as I used to. Telling you all of this just reminded me that I enjoy Quidditch, but it’s really not all that important in the whole view of life.”

“What would you want to do instead?” He looked at her closely as she looked out over the rolling hills in front of them. They were quite pretty as the sun set.

“I’d like to finish setting up house here and move in with you. Maybe move the wedding forward to a few months from now, maybe six months at most. I’d also like to travel a bit I think. I know my parents think I’m only about to be seventeen, but I’m really about to be eighteen like you and I feel old enough to go do that … or whatever we want.

“Maybe we spend a year traveling and then see what we want to do when we return. Maybe I’ll play for the Harpies, maybe I won’t. Perhaps I’ll be pregnant by then and start on our two or three children. I don’t know, but I know that I want you and don’t want to be alone like I was for that year, even if good things came out of it.”

Harry squeezed her tightly for a moment before relaxing. “All right, that’s as good a plan as any I have. Getting away for a time sounds like fun, especially when it’s with you. I’m not sure I’ll be ready for children for at least a few years, but I do look forward to children when we’re ready. I look forward to it all … with you.

“Let’s go back to your parents’ house for at least one last night so we don’t worry them and we’ll figure out exactly what we want to do tomorrow and start getting furniture for the house. How’s that?” he asked.

“I love you, Harry.”

“I love you too, Gin.”




(A/N: I hoped this worked for you. I had planned something shorter like only the first 4-5 chapters, but couldn’t figure out how to end it well, so you ended up with essentially a book6 replacement. If you didn't catch it, in the last chapter Albus asked Harry about visions and his connection to Riddle and Harry said nothing since the battle at the Ministry and he hadn't tried to keep his shields up. If that was too subtle, sorry, but Riddle took that part with him when he possessed Harry; the fragment/magic was so small Riddle never noticed. Until next time…Kevin)

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130558