The Winding Road by NotAWriter



Summary: A Harry Never attended Hogwarts Story
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2022.01.12
Updated: 2022.03.09


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3
Chapter 4: Chapter 4
Chapter 5: Chapter 5
Chapter 6: Chapter 6
Chapter 7: Chapter 7
Chapter 8: Chapter 8
Chapter 9: Chapter 9
Chapter 10: Chapter 10
Chapter 11: Chapter 11
Chapter 12: Chapter 12
Chapter 13: Chapter 13
Chapter 14: Chapter 14
Chapter 15: Chapter 15


Chapter 1: Chapter 1

It took all of Ginny’s willpower to roll over and turn off the muggle alarm clock that her dad had repaired for her. ‘Repaired’. Ginny snorted, more than likely the thing was empty on the inside and ran solely on magic. Ginny made to sit up and immediately regretted it. She couldn’t remember everything she had had to drink, but she had clearly had too much of it.
Ginny laid back down on her back, groping around for the bottle of hangover portion she knew was in her nightstand. The motion nearly caused her to lose what little she had in her stomach. Ginny finally found the small bottle and downed it in one go. “Oh, thank Merlin.” Whispered Ginny fervently. The relief from the potion was immediate.

She racked her brain as she got ready, trying to remember just what had happened the night before. Her and Ernie had finally closed their case on the gang that had produced most of the potions and poisons that Voldemort and his death eaters had used. She grinned at the thought. In the 8 months since the Ginny’s admittance to the auror corps, she had fought in several battles, seen the end of the war and now she had closed her first case. It had been a big deal for her and Ernie and they had gone out to celebrate. She remembered being at the Leaky and then at some muggle establishment, but after that it was nothing but a blur.

She sighed and set about finishing up. Ginny knew she still looked a bit pale (which was saying something for her) and peaky. She decided that she didn’t really care. Ginny figured that Robards would let her appearance slide a bit in light of her recent solve, and set off for the Ministry.

Stepping into the auror’s office, the first thing she saw was the pale caricature of Ernie MacMillan.

“ ‘Lo Ginny.” Said Ernie miserably.

“What’s the matter Ernie, no hangover potion this morning?” Asked Ginny. Ernie groaned in response. “Suz wouldn’t let me. Says its my punishment for missing the toilet when I was throwing up last night.”

Ginny clucked in sympathy. Yet another reason she generally avoided significant romantic entanglements. Too many expectations.

“Well, I know that Mills keeps a secret stash on her desk. I’d go beg some off her.”

Ernie perked up and looked longingly over at Mills desk, which was currently unoccupied.
“Yeah, maybe I will. Robards wants to see us right away, but maybe I can -“

Ernie was cut off by a yell that originated from the direction of the Head Auror’s office.

“WEASLEY, MACMILLAN, MY OFFICE NOW”

Ginny winced. That did not sound like a happy yell.

“Soooo, I’m guessing that this isn’t about what a great job we did on our case?” Asked Ginny, hoping she was wrong.
Ernie, if anything, looked even more pale. “Ginny I just remembered-“

“NOW, YOU TWO.” Came Robards yell again.

Ginny and Ernie looked at each other before hurrying over to the office. They found Robards pacing inside his office. He looked up at their entry, angrily gesturing with his wand to slam the door behind them.

Ginny looked over the Head Auror. Gawain Robards was a survivor. An auror after the likes of Mad Eye Moody. He had fought against Voldemort for the entirety of the war and had suffered for it, losing his left hand and many friends. He was straight forward and seemed almost incapable of deceit. The epitome of a fighter made into a leader. And now he looked angrier than she had ever seen him. He didn’t invite them to sit.

“What were you two thinking?”

The question was quiet. Deadly. Ginny definitely preferred the shouting. Ernie had started shaking but Ginny didn’t understand what the big deal was. So, they had gotten a little drunk. If that were an issue, then every auror alive would be joining her for this lecture.

“Sir.” Ginny began, “I don’t see what the big deal is. We had just closed a major case after months of work. We just needed to let off a little steam!” Ginny finished somewhat heatedly.

Robards just stared.

“So, you definition of letting of some stream is picking a fight with a bunch of muggles and then cursing them in the middle of the street?” Asked Robards.

And suddenly the memories were back. Or flashes of them. A large angry man, drinks spilling. Then out in the street, spells flying. Bodies on the ground.

“We…no..oh no no no nonono” Ernie was murmuring,

Ginny stood there stunned. It couldn’t have happened. No. They didn’t drink that much did they? She never lost control like that! Had she had just thrown their careers away? 8 months as aurors. Her and Ernie had probably just set the record for shortest auror tenure in the history of the department.

“I should throw you out on your asses. Hell, I should bring charges against you. Do you realize the damage you’ve done? We just finished a war meant to show that the ministry would not stand for the magical abuse of muggles. And its even worse given your father’s position, Weasley. Do you realize how fragile we are right now? If this gets out it could undermine EVERYTHING that we have FOUGHT FOR!” Gawain finished with a yell.

This was too much for Ernie, who leaned forward and vomited straight onto the floor of Robards office.
Robards watched with disgust as Ernie vanished the mess.

“Get out of my office MacMillan. Now.” Said Robards softly. Ginny stayed behind as Ernie hurried out of the office. “Sir, I just want to say how sorry both of us. We would…we would never have done something like this…I’m sorry sir, I can’t tell you how ashamed I am, and I know Ernie feels the same.” Ginny said, near tears. She prided herself on not being an easy crier, but the emotional rollercoaster of the morning was proving almost too much.

Robards grunted in response.

Taking it as a sign of encouragement, Ginny pressed forward. “Sir, did you say that this hasn’t been reported yet?”
Robards eyed her critically, then nodded grudgingly. “The Prophet hasn’t found out yet and we may be able to keep it out of the papers. It’s the only reason you’re still allowed in the ministry employee entrance.”

Ginny blanched at that.

“If, IF, we can contain this disaster, you may yet keep your job. Now get out of my sight. I’m tired of seeing your face. I’ll send a message when a decision has been reached.”

Ginny wobbled back to her desk in a haze. Robrads hadn’t told her she had to leave the office, so she was going to wait right there. She figured it might be the last time she was allowed, so she would enjoy it while she could.
Ernie joined her. They didn’t speak. The rest of the day was spent in a cloud of depression. She mostly ignored the other aurors that came to offer their condolences. And glared at the aurors that came to have fun at their expense.
It was near the end of the day and Ginny had become positive that Robards was intentionally letting them stew. She couldn’t fault him for it. They deserved it, she thought dejectedly.

Finally, after what felt like years, an owl swooped overhead, dropping a letter on Ginny’s lap. Another landed on Ernie’s a moment latter.

“Must have thought we went home.” Rasped Ginny. It was the first thing that she had said in hours, and despite the hangover potion, she still wasn’t fully recovered from the night before. She wondered how poor Ernie was dealing with his hangover.

Ernie stood from his seat and offered his hand to Ginny to help her up. She ignored it and stood on her own.
Ginny took a deep, steadying breath and looked over at Ernie.

“Are you ready?” She asked.

Ernie nodded, though Ginny thought he still looked a little green, and together they started over towards Robards office. The walk past the large, poster covered cubicles and desks made her realize just how little time she had been an auror. Ginny hadn’t even decorated her cubicle. Seven years at Hogwarts, two long years of training at the auror academy, a year as a trainee, and it was all going to be for nothing.

The walk to Robards office may have taken an eternity. It seemed that the door got farther away with each step that she took towards it. And then she was there. Ginny’s heart was beating out of her chest. She couldn’t breathe. Ernie reached forward and rapped on the door, and together they waited.

“Enter.” Came Robards call.

Ernie and Ginny shuffled into the room, heads hung and fearing the worst.

“Sit”

Ernie and Ginny sat.

Robards looked them over, contemplating. Then he spoke.

“You will both remain in the department as full-fledged aurors”
Ginny couldn’t believe her ears. Relief poured through her body and her limbs seemed to go slack. Ernie leaned back in his chair with a breath that seemed to come all the way from his toes.

“You were both lucky. DMLE officers were able to smooth things over and obliviate all the muggles involved. The Prophet never found out, and neither did the heads of the ministry. We got very very lucky.”

Ginny chanced a grin at Ernie who smiled back weakly.

“You two, however, are not going to get off so easily. I’m taking you off all your active cases. You’ll both serve a two-week unpaid suspension, and when you come back you are on close personal protection until I say otherwise.” Said Robards evenly.

“Close personal protection? You mean Babysitting.” Groaned Ginny.

“Do you have a problem with that Weasley?” Asked Robards icily.

“Ah, no sir, I meant Babysitting! Yay!” Responded Ginny weakly, trying to inject some enthusiasm into her voice. She knew that this was a best-case scenario for them; if things had gone differently she would be on her way out of the auror’s office for the last time. The thought did make her appreciate the assignment a bit more.

“Sir, have you decided who we will be assigned to protect?” Asked Ernie, shooting a warning glance at Ginny.

“Yes, MacMillan, and you and Weasley here will be taking alternating shifts, so I suggest you say goodbye now.” Said Robards. Robards sat back down and began pulling some parchment towards him, probably to write a memo regarding their suspensions.

“Sir, can I ask who we will be assigned too?” Asked Ernie.

Robards looked up with a small, cold smile.

“The worst detail I could find.” Robards paused to let that sink in.

“Harry Potter”

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Author's Notes: Sorry if it's a bit slow! Trying to build out the world a bit!


Chapter 2
Ginny stepped out of the ministry into the slightly cool September night. That only 12 hours had passed since she woke with a hangover seemed impossible to her. It should have been days or weeks, not hours. Her feet carried her automatically to the apparition point, but she paused as she considered her options. Returning to her empty, rather spartan apartment did not seem appealing at the moment. She needed time to think. With a shake of her head, she set of walking, figuring she could just apparate once she figured out, well, everything.
Walking the cool, well light streets of London helped, despite the steady stream of catcalls. Normally, Ginny would have paid back such comments with a well worded insult and the glare she learned from her Mum, but not tonight.
Harry Potter. That thought was too complicated to start with and so pushed it down, focusing instead on what had happened the previous night.
Ginny knew that she had a temper. It was almost a family heirloom, passed down from Mother to daughter. But that she had attacked a muggle, with magic too, almost sent her back into a panic. Ginny never thought she was capable of such a thing.
The circumstances though, made her reconsider. Months on a difficult and time demanding case, participating in the final battles of the war, years of grueling training before that, and with little time to recuperate or relax. She supposed that, combined with the clearly excessive amount of drink they had had, it was possible that her emotions may not have been as in check as she thought.
Not a pleasant thought, but there was some relief in making sense of her own actions.

‘Definitely not drinking again for a while though. Definitely not til after this assignment is done.’ She said to herself
.
Next came the decision of whether to tell her family. The very thought of telling her mum what had happened made her want to lock herself in her apartment and avoid everyone for the next two weeks. But Ginny was positive that her father knew what had happened. And it would be worse for her mum to find out from him. She sighed, knowing what was in store for her and not relishing the thought of her mums anger, or her brothers teasings.
She wished she could tell them everything. About the case, why she had pushed herself so hard on it, and about the people they had saved. About her new assignment. But she couldn’t. Ginny thought she had made her piece with that but clearly hadn’t realized how much it all came to weight on you.
Her thoughts turned back to her soon to be new assignment. Harry Potter. She knew that there were aurors assigned to protect him, but the war had made Robards paranoid, and now every assignment was known only to the aurors working on them. This had been relaxed a bit in recent days, but with so many death eaters still out there, there was still a healthy amount of secrecy between aurors.
‘The location and protection of the Savior of the World seemed to be one such secret’ Thought Ginny idly as she continued walking.

She had seen him before, of course. During the final battle it was impossible to miss the duel between him and Voldemort. Ginny wasn’t sure what had been different about this battle, as before their duels had lasted minutes at most before one or the other fled.
The last time though. It had been to the death.

She had seen him after too. Seen him when collapsed whether from his injuries, exhaustion or from seeing the cost the final battle had wrought, Ginny wasn’t sure.
And then he was gone. Not to be seen again by anybody, except perhaps the aurors assigned to protect him. One of which she would soon be. The thought hit her with a thrill. Ginny had never been a Harriet, as they called female Harry fans. Sure, she had a bit of a crush on what she had imagined Harry Potter to be, but how could she not? She grew up on his story, for Merlin’s sake. She had left that all behind of course. Or been forced to leave it behind, as he had never shown up for Hogwarts. In fact, Harry Potter had all but disappeared from the minds of the wizarding world until Dumbledore had announced the return of Voldemort, corroborated by Potter’s testimony of his kidnap and part in Voldemort’s return. Harry had seemed so stoic, and grown up, standing in front of the shocked heads of the ministry. Now she knew he had only been a kid, barley 15, when it happened. Back then she had thought of him as some sort of white knight. Now she all she felt was foolish for her romanticized view of his trauma. Ginny understood better now what it meant to fight.

But, still, there was something exciting about being close to the most powerful wizard of the age and most revered person in the wizarding world.
Ginny forcefully shook her head to clear her mind of those pesky thoughts, and looked up, hearing a family voice “Mind the Gap.” Her feet had led her straight to the muggle underground station that would take her to Devon. She smiled bit. It seemed Ginny where she was going even when she didn’t.
She checked around her before slipping into a darkened corner, and disapparated with a quiet crack, and reappeared in front of her childhood home. And it was home. Ginny knew she could grow up, move away, maybe even get married one day, but the Burrow would always be home.
Ginny couldn’t help but chuckle at the collection of Wellingtons by the front door, or the murmur of what had to be gnomes in the side yard bushes. Somethings never changed. Her happiness at returning home slowly faded as she approached the door though. This visit would not have a pleasant ending, and Ginny dreaded the aftermath.
Stepping in through the door, she wasn’t surprised by the rich scent of something roasting that greeted her. In a family of 7 children, someone was always hungry.
‘6 now’ she reminded herself forcefully. It was easy to get lost in the past occasionally.

“Ginny! What a surprise! Come in, sit down, are you hungry? I just put something in the oven!” Said Molly Weasley.

“Hi Mum! Yeah, that would be great actually, I haven’t eaten all day!” Answered Ginny gratefully. And she was grateful. Grateful for the food and grateful that her dad, who had been sitting next to her mum moments early had apparently not said anything yet to his wife. Ginny knew that her greeting would have been much less enthusiastic if she knew what had happened in the last 24 hours.
“Um, mum, before we eat, I have to tell you something. Something…something “ “

“Ginny, sorry, but would you help me quickly with something in the shed? Won’t take but a moment, thanks!” Said Arthur, as he strode from the room.

“Um, sure, dad.” Ginny followed her dad from the room, confused why he had chosen that moment to interrupt. Unless it was just a coincidence, and he didn’t know what had happened. Ginny hoped that wasn’t the case. IT would make telling them that much harder.
“What’s up dad?” Ginny asked carefully, as she followed him into the shed.

Arthur looked fondly around the shed; filled to the brim with various muggle artifacts and experiments, it was Arthur’s second home. Ginny knew he hadn’t spent much time here since his promotion and that he missed it.
Arthur’s eyes seemed to intensify as they swung down onto Ginny.

“Ginny, I know what happened. I know what you were about to tell you mother. I don’t think it’s…necessary…right now.” Said Arthur.
“Not…necessary?” Repeated Ginny.

“Yes, not necessary.” Arthur said firmly, before sighing deeply and looking back around his shed.

“Ginny, I can’t tell you how disappointed I am with you. What you did…“Arthur stopped and shook his head. “I cannot condone it. No wait,” said Arthur, holding up his hand to forestall Ginny, who had opened her mouth to respond.
“I cannot condone it, but I may understand it.” Ginny closed her mouth, more confused than ever.

“You’ve, well, we’ve been living in a world where every hostile action could have and may have been a threat against your life. I don’t think you’ve had a chance to really relax since about your first year of school. And though I don’t like knowing that you drink, I understand what you were doing. So, let’s chalk this up to a mistake, an unfortunate, and unrepeatable, mistake.” Finished Arthur forcefully.
“Thank you, dad, I really needed to hear that.” Said Ginny emotionally and moved to hug her father.

“But why not tell mum?” Asked Ginny, slightly muffled by her dad’s returned hug.

“Well, for one, its auror business. Technically, I’m not even supposed to know. And two. Your Mum worries. And this will worry her. I don’t feel any need to worry her over something that was a random one time event that will not happen again, do you?” Asked Arthur, looking straight at her now.
Ginny shook her head meekly. Arhtur sighed again, dropped his arms, and began fiddling with was at some point, a type of muggle electronic. “We’ve all had to sacrifice things in the war, Ginny. I just wish you hadn’t had to sacrifice your childhood. I think we all forget how young you, and everyone else your age, really is.” Arthur shook his head, dropped what he was fiddling with, and turned towards the door.
“Now let’s not keep your mother waiting, shall we?” Ginny smiled and followed her father out of the shed.

Of all the changes that the war had caused, she suspected the most profound had been on her father. Following the conclusion of the war, he had been chosen to head up a new department, the Department of Non-magic Equity and Fairness. The name sounded fluffy, but the department received real power to oversee and make changes in the laws and rules created by other departments to ensure equal treatment under the law. Ginny suspected that her father had been chosen for a number of reasons, his pureblood status, but known muggle love not least among them, but also because he was seen as soft.
Apparently, they didn’t know that he had been living with Molly Weasley for over 40 years. Nobody could have foreseen the way Arthur was able to consolidate his power and become a real political force in the months following the death of Voldemort. These days, there was little that happened in the ministry without Arthur Weasley knowing about it.
If Ginny had to guess she would say that the art of subtly manipulating 7 toddlers into successful and happy adults also lent itself well to the apt handling of politicians.
The rest of the dinner was uneventful, much to Ginny’s relief, and she was just getting ready to say her goodbyes when she the sound of footsteps on the path.
“Oh, I completely forgot to tell you, Ron should be getting back. From his date. With Hermoine.” Molly finished in a whisper.

“WHAT?? He asked her out?? I can’t believe it! Why didn’t anyone tell me??” Exclaimed Ginny.

“Well, dear, you were so busy with your case, why I think this is the first time we’ve seen you in at least a month!” Said Molly sternly.

Ginny felt a flair of guilt, recognizing the truth in the words, and knew that her mum knew the impact the words would have. Ginny hated that it still worked on her.’ Never too old for a mother’s guilt, apparently’ thought Ginny wryly.
Ginny’s response was premempted by the sound of the closing door and footsteps in the hallway. Ron entered the room, visibly flinching at finding his family sitting around the table looking at him.
“Ron! How was it?! Sit down, let me get you a spot of tea and you can tell us everything!” Said Molly before grabbing an additional cup and saucer.

Ginny fully expected Ron to roll his eyes and leave for his old room immediately. Ron had moved out when he joined the aurors, the year before Ginny, but with the end of the war Ron had decided that he had done enough and left the corps. While figuring out the next step he had moved back home. Ginny had also noticed that being at home tended to cause Ron to revert to a teenager, and so was very surprised to see Ron drop heavily into the chair across from her.
Ron sat quietly and refused to answer questions until he had a cup in front of him. Ginny couldn’t believe how down he was after finally going on a date with the girl he had been interested in for at least 5 years.
Arthur seemed to be thinking along the same lines and asked kindly “So, did it go poorly, then?”

Ron looked up, a bit of a strangled expression on his face. “No….no, nothing like that. No, it went really well in fact. Best date I’ve ever been on, honestly.”
Ginny couldn’t help but laugh at his expression. “Ron, you have got to be the most miserable man in the world if you look like this after the best date of your life.”
Ron didn’t respond, which made Ginny worry that there was actually something wrong with him. “Its just…” Ron took a deep breath to steel himself “I think I might…love her?”

Molly, Arthur and Ginny all stared at Ron for a moment, before bursting out laughing. Ron immediately sprang to his feet. “What’s so funny, what that I would care for her? Or that she would care for me? Stop laughing, its NOT FUNNY!”

Molly was able to calm herself down and waved at Ron to sit down. “Ron, Ronnie, no of course its not funny, its just, I can’t believe it took you so long to realize! I had you too pegged from your 3rd year in school!”
Arthur wiped his eye, “Ahh you always were the perceptive one, Molly. Took me til 6th year!” He said cheerfully.

Ginny shook her head. “I didn’t see it till a few years ago, during your final year in training, while I was there! Always so eager to see her, you were.”

Ron’s anger seemed to drain from him, and he slid boneless into his chair. ”Blimey, what do I do now?” He asked quietly, dropping his face into his hands.
Ginny realized she may not be needed for the conversation to come, excused herself and made her way out to the apparition point, buoyed both by her father’s understanding and her happiness that Ron was making progress in his love life. Now if only she could do the same…

The next two weeks passed slowly. Being trapped in her small apartment was very close to torture, in her mind. And because she wanted to keep new of her suspension quiet, she couldn’t even go out to see friends or spend to much time at the Burrow! Ginny had resolved to save going out flying until at least Saturday morning, so that her being out would seem more normal. She made it to Wednesday afternoon.
Finally, finally. It was the Sunday before her suspension was to be lifted and Ginny could not have been readier. The final two days had been the worst. She had even been reading, actually reading, all of the letters she got from Percy. She knew more about the regulation of wand wood imports that she had ever cared to know. It has also started to seem interesting, which was how she knew she needed to get back to work.
Robards found her waiting outside his office when he showed up to work, a random amount of time before his shift technically started. Something about keeping a schedule made him uneasy, apparently.

Robards just grunted when he saw Ginny, though she thought she saw a hint of a smile. “Well, come in then, lets get this over with.”

Ginny sat and waited as Robards put away his cloak and bag, before sitting across from her. “Since we’re here might as well get started. MacMillin will have a different brief anyway, since he’s starting as the night guard.” Robards leaned back in his chair and considered Ginny.
“I’m sure I don’t need to tell you the importance of this assignment, correct?” Ginny nodded emphatically. “Good,” Robards continued “then I don’t need to tell you that the people see him as the focal point of hope for a better future. Or how weak the ministry is at the moment. Or how his death would probably cause a cascading effect that would probably finish what Voldemort started.”

Ginny swallowed. “No sir, you definitely did not need to tell me that.”

Robards smirked at her. “Good. Now go see Marzoc, she’ll give you the point by point details you’ll need. She’s just coming off that assignment. Come back and see me when you’re done.” Robards nodded to the door and began reading the memos that had come in over night.

Ginny made her way over Marzoc’s desk, trying to remember what she knew about the veteran auror. It wasn’t much. They had never worked together directly and the 10ish year age gap meant they didn’t run in the same circles. But the other aurors respected her, some even liked her.

Marzoc looked up at her approach, standing to greet her. Ginny looked up at the significantly taller woman and wondered just how she had got the small, consistent scars that littered one half her face.
“Weasley right? Robards said to tell you ‘bout Potter. Not much to tell. Doesn’t go out. Except to cut down trees off a plot of land near his cottage.”

“Cuts down trees? Why?” Interrupted Ginny.

Marzoc shrugged. “Dunno. Never asked. He’s a quiet bugger. Spends most of his time cutting down trees or respondin to letters. Gets a lot of mail, he does. It’s all screened of course, and he’s been told he don’t need to respond. Feels like he has to, I’d bet. Anyway, get approval before he goes anywhere new, keep him in sight, and call the department to report any assassination attempts”
Ginny chuckled at that but stopped at the look on Marzoc’s face. “There were two in the last month. One was a cursed package. Clever curse, too. Targeted at him. The other was an attack. 3 men. During his monthly St. Mungo’s trip. That…That was a mess, that was. But I wouldn’t worry too much. Robards has tightened security. And, honestly, Potter can handle himself. Barely had time to lift my wand before he took care of those 3 I mentioned.”

Ginny cleared her suddenly dry throat. “mmm, and what about visitors?”

Marzoc stared at the question. “He’s at a secure, undisclosed, warded safe house? You think civilians are just popping over for tea?”

“No, of course not” Ginny responded coolly “But what about friends or family? Who’s on the approved visitor list?”

The older auror shook her head. “Weasley, he’s got nobody left. I think every person he knew in the wizarding world died the night be killed Voldemort. The list is Robards, and maybe Prime Minister Bones. Nobody else is allowed.” Marzoc clapped Ginny on the shoulder. “Good luck. It’s gonna be a long 6 months.” And with that, she turned back to her desk, leaving Ginny to find her way back to Robards office.
“Oh, before you go” Marzoc’s voice called her back. “just…watch out for Robards. He isn’t…all he seems to be. So, you know, be careful.” She finished quietly, without looking up from her work.

Ginny nodded her thanks, and despite her confusion and desire to ask what she meant, made her way back to Robards office. Marzoc had painted a bleak picture of both the assignment and Potter’s life, and it was not filling her with enthusiasm. She made to knock on Robards door, only to realize it was open a crack, and voices were drifting out. With the warning she had just received fresh in her mind, Ginny stepped closer. The deep rumbling voice of deputy minister Shacklebolt was easy to distinguish, if not understand.

“I know, I know you aren’t comfortable using Arthur’s daughter this way, but just think of it as killing two birds with one stone.” Robards responded to Kingsley’s question. Ginny felt a thrill at the mention of an Arthur. That must be her father. How many Arthurs were there high enough in the ministry to be on a first name basis with Gawain Robards and Kingsley Shacklebolt?
Shacklebolt responded and again Ginny couldn’t understand him, but Robards reply came through clearly. “Of course he doesn’t know, you think he would allow something like this? Look, Kingsley, this is my department, and I will run it as I see fit. And if this works you will be thanking be me soon enough. And if it doesn’t then we are in the same position we started in. Thank you for coming down.”
Ginny quickly stepped back as Shacklebolt marched from the room, his face unreadable. He spotted her and stopped. “Ah, Ginny, it is good to see you! I’m just on my way up to talk with the Prime Minister but tell your father I say hello.” He nodded once and left quickly.
Ginny waved goodbye and turned to find Robards looking at her from his doorway.

“That was quick. Get everything you need from Marzoc?”

“Yeah, I think I learned what I need to learn.” Ginny responded, looking Robards in the eye. It was a strange feeling knowing you were being used, Ginny decided. She couldn’t understand how she had been so wrong about Robards, but she would play this game until what he wanted became clear.

“Good. Be here at 6:30 am tomorrow morning. You’ll be given the location and the route to take then. Should be an…informative assignment!” Robards said with a small, distinctly predatory smile, before turning back into his office.

‘Oh, don’t worry Robards, I’ve learned plenty already’ thought Ginny as she left. And despite everything going on, there was still a part of her that was excited to finally meet Harry Potter. Tomorrow. It would all start tomorrow.

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Ginny rushed into the meeting with the representative of the Department of Magical Transportation. It had not been a good morning for her, and she was nearly 20 minutes late.

“Sorry, sorry” she gasped out “had an issue with my alarm and didn’t realize the main employee entrance was closed this early.” The issue she had with her alarm clock was that she had smashed it in frustration nearly a week before. The two-week suspension may have gotten to her a bit more she had let on.

“Oh no worries deary, I’m Agnes Agincourt, I’ll be walking you through the procedure for getting to and from your assignment.” Responded Agnes kindly.

What followed from the kindly old transportation agent could only be described as pure English vindictiveness. 5 minutes into the instructions, Ginny began to wonder if this was the standard procedure or if Agnes had it out for Ginny specifically. After 15 minutes Ginny began to feel her eyelids drop. After 30 minutes, she alternated between digging her nails into her hand to stay awake and struggling not to yell at kindly old Agnes. On the dot at 45 minutes Agnes stopped and looked at Ginny expectantly.

Ginny, who had been busy contemplating the magic it would take to send herself back in time, stun Agnes and assume her identity for this discussion, apologized in confusion. “Sorry Mrs. Agincourt, could you repeat that?”
Agnes smiled her kindly old smile, though Ginny could definitely see a hint of triumph hiding behind the expression. “I was just asking, deary, if you had any questions?” Ginny may have been imagining it, but the question seemed a bit mocking. Agnes only smiled under the responding glare.

‘Must be losing my touch’ thought Ginny, before wracking her brain for something intelligent to say.
“Weeellll, if I’m understanding correctly, I’ll get two portkeys in the morning, one for me and one for the return of the auror from the other shift. Hmm interesting, I think I just summarized your entire presentation. That took, what? 10 seconds? 11 tops?” Ginny smiled as Agnes sniffed haughtily at her.
“You missed some key point-“
“What, like don’t give the portkey to death eaters?” Asked Ginny sarcastically.

Agnes only glared icily. “Then you are ready to go?” she finally asked.

Ginny nodded then stopped. “Wait, where is the safe house? And what happens if my replacement doesn’t show up?”
“Those are good questions. Here, catch!” Agnes responded, while tossing a small gold ball. Ginny instinctively caught it, and immediately felt as if it were glued to her hand. The ball began to glow blue before Ginny realized what had happened.
“Oh, you old biiitt-“ And then she was gone.

The jarring stop that accompanied the portkey dumped Ginny on the ground. By the time the world had stopped spinning, she realized that she was on the ground, looking at two pairs of feet, one familiar, one not.
Ginny slowly raised her eyes, hoping that it wasn’t what she feared. Standing there was Ernie, looking exhausted and embarrassed. And there he was. Harry Potter. She stared at him from the ground, and her eyes flicked up to see the scar that stood out on his forehead.

To Ginny’s mind Harry looked distinctly unimpressed. Maybe she was wrong though.
Harry looked away from Ginny over to Ernie. “So, this is who they’re sending over to me now? My confidence in the ministry only continues to grow.” Potter was definitely not impressed.

And with that he turned and started back towards the house about 30 meters away. The house that Ginny hadn’t even noticed in the confusion of arriving. It was a small cottage type house that seemed to have been expanded to include several external rooms and a second story with some kind of viewing room. It almost reminded Ginny of a nicer version of the Burrow, if she tilted her head and squinted.

Ernie walked up to Ginny and offered his hand, which Ginny took. “Just had to come in like that, didn’t you Weasley. I’ve been talking you up all night to give you chance. But, now…” Ernie shook his head. Ginny’s groan was not entirely intentional. “So not a great first impression, then?” Asked Ginny sarcastically.

“No, not especially. Merlin Ginny, what happened to you?” Ernie asked seriously.

Ginny could only groan again. “I couldn’t sleep, then over slept, then didn’t have time to get ready, then got stuck with the transportation agent from hell.”

“Ah” said Ernie “So you met Agnes?”

“YES” Exploded Ginny “What is wrong with that woman?” Ernie only laughed. “Oh, Agnes is okay, as long as you aren’t late and don’t antagonize her. You didn’t do that did you? Oh no, you did, didn’t you!” Accused Ernie as Ginny could only mumble and look away. “You are out of luck then, Ginny old girl. Now, I believe you’ve got something for me?”

Ginny dug into her coat, dropping the return portkey into Ernie’s waiting hand. Ernie looked from the portkey to Ginny and began to ask “Any idea when it will-“ before disappearing in a blue flash.

Ginny smiled briefly then turned towards the house and took a breath, and immediately slipped on something in the grass and tumbled down again. Ginny thought she heard laughter drifting over head. She reached under her, feeling for what had caused her fall, and found the portkey, realizing it was an old golden snitch. Ginny rose and pocketed the snitch, before setting off towards the house.

At the door, she paused, unsure if she should knock or just walk in. Deciding to error on the side of politeness, Ginny knocked softly. “You” came a voice from right behind her, causing her to nearly jump out of her skin, “don’t have to knock. If you’re to be following me around, all the knocking will get tiresome. Except maybe in the bathroom. Maybe knock then.” Potter said without smiling. He stood there, leaning against one of the trees that lined the entranceway. “Do you need anything?” Potter asked after a beat of silence.


Ginny cleared her throat “Um no I think I’m good?”

Potter nodded. “Then let’s go.” He said before turning and picking up a bag behind him that Ginny hadn’t seen and setting off down on the pathway. Ginny quickly followed and scrambled to catch up, before falling in behind him. Potter didn’t speak. Ginny wasn’t sure how to break the silence and so simply followed him. She took the time to examine Potter more closely. He was taller than she had expected. And the combination of the jet-black hair and the bright green eyes was…compelling. He walked along the path quickly and surely, moving easily despite the large bag across his back.

After nearly an hour Ginny was beginning to wonder if the walk would ever end. She had long ago removed her coat and auror cloak and shoved them into the small bag where she carried her lunch and a few other necessities. Potter stopped so suddenly that Ginny almost crashed into him. Ginny peered around him and saw that they had come to a meadow, while Potter shrugged out of his bag.

Looking at the uniform shape of the meadow and the stacks of wood that lined one edge, Ginny realized that this was in fact their destination. Her realization was confirmed when she saw Potter remove an axe from the bag that he had carried. Without a word to her, or even acknowledging her presence, he turned and began swinging at a tree on the near side of the meadow.

At this point Ginny was more than a bit frustrated. Potter had insulted her, failed to greet her or introduce himself, and not even warned her that they would be departing on an hour hike first thing upon arrival. That he had no idea who she was and so had no way of letting her know of their plans and that it was her job to follow him were things that she knew. They were also things that she chose to ignore. And besides those were no excuses for rudeness!

Walking over to where Potter was working, Ginny sat grumpily on a stump that had recently been a full tree. The stump was not comfortable, and Ginny quickly grew bored. And sore. Glancing at Potter, who seemed full engaged in whacking at the tree in front of him, she set about practicing her dueling forms. She had almost finished when she felt eyes on her. Ginny slowed from her mock duel and, breathing heavily, turned to find Potter watching her.

“It doesn’t work, you know.” He said simply. “What doesn’t?” Ginny snapped back. After this morning, any pretense of civility had obviously gone out the window. “Those forms, that formal dueling stuff. In a real fight against someone who knows that they’re doing, formal dueling makes you a sitting duck.” Potter said slowly, as if explaining to a child. Ginny felt her hand creeping up and resisted the urge to hex the arrogant berk. “I’ll have you know that I fought 3 major battles and the final battle. I think I know what I’m doing.” Ginny responded stiffly.

Potter let out a bark of a laugh. “You fought? Or were you part of the reinforcements that would come in to give the real fighters a break?”

Ginny blushed to her roots. It was true that she had fought, but Potter was right in that most of her action had been in a relief capacity and not as a front-line fighter. “At least I remember I’m a witch! You’ve become so bloody reclusive you might as well be a ghost. For Merlin’s sake you could clear this whole forest if you wanted to! Do you even remember how to do magic?” Ginny nearly shouted, furious and embarrassed. After pausing to taking a breath Ginny continue while Potter looked on stunned. “And whose genius idea was it do this so bloody far from the house?? You realize there are plenty of trees within spitting distance. Your decision again right? Looks like we’ve got a regular Dumbledore here! I get it Potter, you’re the savior of the wizarding world. You beat Voldemort. Congratulations. Doesn’t mean you get to be such a bloody arsehole!”
Potter, quickly shifting from stunned to angry, turned to walk back to his tree. “I’ve got a question for you, auror, does all that yelling make you better at your job. Cause seems like I could’ve been killed at any point during that tirade, and it would have been all your fault.” He called back, finishing in a sing song voice.

It was a miracle of willpower that Ginny didn’t respond, either verbally or magically.
‘he’s bloody lucky he’s the bloody savior of the world. Stupid git.’ Ginny thought angrily. Plus, she figured there would be a pretty severe punishment for the person that killed Harry Potter, no matter how justified. Besides, his back was turned. Would have been unsporting.

They didn’t speak for the rest of the day. When the sun went down, Potter removed a small metallic device from his shirt pocket and clicked it a few times. Small balls of light surrounded him, and he continued to work, with only the rhythmic thunk, thunk, thunk sound of the ax on wood to measure his progress.

Ginny had cooled down enough over the past several hours to be curious about how he had created the light but would not be the one to break the silence. She didn’t have to though, as a few minutes later Potter paused between swings and turned to look at her. “Has the shift length changed?” he grunted out.

“Was it 8:00 pm before?” She asked back. Potter nodded. “Then no, Potter, it hasn’t changed.” Ginny knew she was being a brat but couldn’t help it. “Then we should get going, shouldn’t we, since your replacement should be here in about 35 minutes.” Potter said with a smirk.

Ginny closed her eyes, taking a deep breath and clenching her jaw to keep from yelling again. “Yes, I’d say we should get going.” She ground out. Ginny knew it was her fault. She hadn’t brought a watch, hadn’t thought she would need one. And now her mark was telling her how to do her job. And in a very self-satisfied way too.

Potter set a quicker pace on the return trip, and though she arrived sweating, covered in pine needles and out of breathe, they made it back before Ernie showed up to replace her. By about 30 seconds.

“ ’Lo…Ernie…” huffed Ginny, still glaring at Potter. Ernie, picking up on the obvious tension between the two, simply stepped forward and offered the return portkey to Ginny. This time it was a shrunken version of the Hogwarts quidditch cup. Ginny examined it, grateful to have something to look at besides Potter’s smug face, and eager to be home. Ernie and Potter had begun to walk away, and the portkey had begun to glow blow when she heard one final comment from Potter. “What is the other aurors name again? I never got it from her.”

Ginny was fairly certain that she hated Harry Potter.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4

Author's Notes: This is my first story, so if you have any words of advice for improvement, I'm all ears!


Chapter 4
The night after her first day as Potter’s protection was a long one for Ginny. Just thinking of their interactions was enough to send her back into blind rage. Replaying the day prevented her from getting much sleep, as she couldn’t get Potter’s stupid smirk and oddly green eyes out of her mind.

When the alarm went off the next morning, it came as a surprise to Ginny that she was able to sleep at all. Unfortunately, the alarm also meant that she had to start moving. And though it was clear that she had been asleep, it sure didn’t feel like it. But Ginny was determined to not be late to get her Portkey from Agnes again and so set about getting ready for the day.
All her efforts were for naught, though, as Agnes wasn’t in, and her replacement simply handed Ginny her portkey before leaving her alone in the auror office reception area with over an hour before the portkey was set to depart. Ginny settled down into one of the nearby chairs to wait, making sure to keep a hold of the portkey, this time a small plastic pumpkin. Perhaps it was because of Ginny’s late night, or her early morning, or because of the soft music being piped into the reception area, but whatever the reason, the result was that Ginny was half asleep when the portkey activated, leaving her dumped on the ground again in front of Potter’s house.

“You know, Auror Weasley,” came a familiar voice from overhead, placing emphasis on her name “perhaps portkey travel just isn’t for you.”

“Shut. It.” Snarled Ginny, aware that he was goading her for both not introducing herself the prior day and for her fall.
Ernie helped her to her feet, before quickly grabbing the portkey and disappearing. “Coward” muttered Ginny under her breath.
She turned to look at Harry, who already had the bag from the day before over his arm. He cocked an eyebrow at her in question. “Yeah, yeah, let’s go then,” Ginny answered the unasked question, and then they set off for the clearing.
Ginny was determined not to talk to Potter today. She couldn’t figure out why he got under her skin so easily, but she would not let it happen again today. And the easiest way to do that was to avoid talking to him. Or looking at him. Or thinking about him.
That plan worked till they got to the clearing. Then it was just silence and the sound of an axe on wood. Through sheer might of will, Ginny avoided conversation for nearly two hours, but she was worried that the prolonged isolation might result in her insanity and so decided to chance some conversation.

“Sooo…what are you building out here anyway? I mean, or do you just like cutting down trees?” asked Ginny.

“Pitch.” Grunted Harry in response.
Ginny’s wand was in her hand before she had time to think. “What did you just call me?” she asked in a low dangerous voice.

Potter looked up in confusion, then smiled, actually smiled, at her! Suddenly she was nose to nose with him. Or well, nose to chest with him, and staring directly into his oddly green eyes. “If you weren’t Harry Potter and I weren’t an auror assigned to protect you,” she hissed, jabbing him in the chest with her finger “I promise you, you would be flat on your back right now with bats coming out of every orifice I could think of.”

Potter took on a slightly worried look before stepping back and raising his hands in surrender. He made to speak, but Ginny held up a hand to stop him before returning to the stump where she had been sitting.

‘That’s what I get for trying to make civil conversation! Maybe I can stage an accident that puts me in St. Mungo’s for the duration of this assignment’ Ginny mused idly.

“Um…before, um I said Pitch, with a P, as in a quidditch pitch. Not, um, the other word.” Potter finished delicately, as if afraid of setting her off again.

Ginny was glad she was facing away from him because based on the amount of heat coming off her face, she was sure she resembled a sun burned tomato. She slowly lowered her head into her hands, unable to turn and look at him.
She didn’t speak again for the rest of the day.

The portkey exchange with Ernie went smoothly and Ginny felt an immense sense of relief upon returning to the auror’s office.

Ginny sighed deeply, eager to be home and put another long day behind her. It was not to be though. Marzoc stormed over as Ginny watched wearily. “Weasley!” she nearly shouted “Where are your reports from yesterday? You never checked in after your shift.”

Ginny groaned internally. She had been in such a mood yesterday she had forgotten to report to Marzoc, who was to be her point on the assignment.

“Sorry Marzoc, I can prepare them now if you’d like?” Said Ginny apologetically. Marzoc shook her head. “It’s fine, just tell me the results and I’ll get it written up. I know the assignment isn’t ideal.”

“Oh merlin, thank you Marzoc. This whole thing has been a nightmare. All he’s done is chop down stupid trees all day and we’ve done nothing but fight and take shots at each other.” Vented Ginny.

“Wait, wait” Marzoc cut her off. “he’s talked to you? Like actually talked, with words?” “Well, it was more yelling than talking…but, yes?” Said Ginny. Marzoc’s eyes widened. “Wow, he must like you. He literally said maybe 6 words to me the entire length of my assignment. And I even yelled at him about a few times. And nothing, not a thing.”

Ginny snorted “Yeah or he hates me.”
“I don’t think so.” Responded Marzoc thoughtfully. “He seems like the type to shut out someone he hates.” Marzoc shrugged. “Just my thought. Anyway, your reports?”

“Yes, right, I checked for any signs of dark magic at 6 and 12 hours, checked the wards before leaving and he didn’t prepare any potions or new wards of any kind. Same for today.”

Marzoc made a note and nodded. “Got it. Make sure to check in next time. Robards is serious about this. Not sure why. Anyone crazy enough to attack Harry Potter deserves what’s coming to them.”

Ginny shrugged off Marzoc’s comments and headed for the door, eager to escape the looming presence that was Harry Potter. It was not to be. Despite going back to her apartment, making herself some dinner (okay, fine, it was a reheated meal from her mother) and putting on the Arrows-Harpies match on the wireless, she couldn’t get the day out of her mind. She had insulted Potter, damn near attacked him too. And this time he hadn’t done anything. Not really. Her consciousness wouldn’t let it go, nor her pride as an auror. Ginny was a good auror, damn it, and good aurors didn’t attack those they were assigned to protect.

Ginny sighed as she climbed into bed. She would have to make it up to him. But how? Closing her eyes, she hoped that her subconscious mind might come up with something. But for some reason, all that was coming up was that scene of her, standing in front of him, looking into his eyes. Stupid subconscious mind was useless apparently. Her thoughts suddenly shifted to Marzoc’s words “must like you, must like you, must like you.” She snorted, pulled her covers up and thought about something else.

The next morning though, felt like a fresh start. As soon as Ginny opened her eyes, she knew what she could do, and it seemed perfect. And to make things even better, Agnes didn’t work that day either!

Ginny also managed to not fall off her face after the portkey, which had to be a good omen. Potter and Ernie were again waiting for her, though Potter didn’t say anything, just gave her a brief nod as Ernie departed.

They again set off, Ginny carrying her same small bag she brought her lunch in and Potter with his larger one. It was as they got into the clearing that Ginny put her plan into action. Potter pulled out his axe and was turning towards a tree when Ginny spoke.

“Wait, Potter, I just…um” she paused as Potter turned and looked, a cautious expression on his face “look, I just wanted to say that… I’m sorry, and um see if I could maybe, well, help?” Ginny asked, reaching into her bag and pulling out the axe that she had conjured earlier.

Ginny examined Potter for a reaction. He stared at her. “I mean, obviously, I won’t be as good as you are at it, but I can learn and I just thought that, well, this seems…important…to you.”

Potter’s face was inscrutable. Ginny began to panic and blurted out “But if this is something that you have to do alone…”
“No! No.” Interrupted Potter. “I would…actually appreciate the help.” His voice was certain but there was a note of confusion as well. “Um, shall I show you how to start?”


Potter ran her quickly through the do’s and don’ts of clearing trees, which ultimately came down to “Hit the tree and not yourself.” And with that, they set to work. The awkward tension didn’t dissipate, but it lessened, as Potter called out advice and Ginny followed his instructions.

It was all going well until Potter, apparently overheated, took off his shirt and continued to work. Ginny forgot the one rule she had been given and nearly took her foot off in the process. “You okay?” Potter called out. “Good, yeah, yeah I’m…I’m good” Muttered Ginny, not willing to look in his direction again. She did anyway as soon as he turned back to his tree. ‘No bad Ginny. You won’t look again.’ Ginny looked again and then scolded herself. Honestly, though, it wasn’t her fault. Ginny was human, and Potter, despite his flaws, was marginally good looking, and obviously in shape thanks to all his tree cutting.
The rest of the day continued in much the same way, but Ginny soon lost herself in the work. After a few hours she was dreading the walk back to the house, she was so tired. Ginny wasn’t sure if Potter had noticed her state, or if he was as tired as she was, but he called an end to the day a good while before the sun had set, thankfully putting his shirt back on. Their walk back to the house took longer than usual, but their normal silence seemed much more companionable.
When they finally made it back Ginny collapsed into a rocking chair in front of the house that she had never noticed, certain she had never been more grateful for anything in her life. Until, that is, that Potter exited the house with two cold butter beers and a slip of paper.

Ginny grabbed the butterbeer and downed half in one go and groaned in appreciation.

“Thirsty, then?” asked Potter wryly.

“I don’t reckon I’ve been this sore and tired since auror training.” Complained Ginny. “Not that I’m complaining” she hastened to add “just didn’t realize how tiring it is to swing an axe all day.”

Potter huffed in amusement. “Yeah, it takes it out of you. Auror training is a pretty good comparison though. Except less bruises.” He added as an after thought.

Ginny looked up in surprise. “You went through auror training? When??”

“Oh, uh” Potter stammered, apparently surprised that he had given something about himself away “yeah I did. It wasn’t the full thing though, just certain parts. And when I was 15. Special request from Dumbledor.” He finished with a grimace.
Ginny could only stare. “You went through auror training…at 15? 15?” Potter ran his hand through his hair, looking thoroughly uncomfortable, before nodding. Ginny shook her head “Merlin, Potter your guardians must have been sadists! I went through at 18 almost 19 and still almost died!” Potter’s head shot up and he looked straight at her, before chuckling a bit. “I mean, yeah a bit. But not for the auror thing, that was actually my idea.”

“Then it’s official Potter, you are touched in the head!” Ginny exclaimed before draining the last of the butterbeer. Potter huffed again. A bit off they saw the flash that signaled Ernie’s arrival and set off to swap shifts. As she prepared to leave Potter held out the slip paper. “You’re gonna be sore. Especially cause you’ve never done that before. I’d recommend you take the potions on this list tonight or there’s no way you’ll be ready to go again tomorrow.” He paused blushing a bit.
“… I mean, that is, if you want to… do it again tomorrow.” Potter finished a bit shyly. ‘He’s cute when he’s shy’ thought Ginny, then mentally shook herself from what was obviously an errant thought and smiled at him. “Don’t be silly, of course, I do.”
Potter half smiled back. “Good. That’s good. Oh, and that last one is the most important. Do NOT forget that one.”
Ernie watched the exchange with a blush that seemed to intensify with each word. “Gin-ginny, um what uh are you…” Ginny looked over at Ernie, seeing his blush and realizing how that conversation must have sounded simultaneously. “NO!” she shouted. “we were just…it was just… we were chopping wood is all!”

Ernie’s eyes drifted towards Potter’s beltline, before Ginny grabbed him and hauled him down to eye level. “Listen, Ernie, whatever you thinking, that isn’t what happened! I was just helping him with his trees okay?”

Ernie nodded uncertainly. “Okay, sure Ginny, I believe you!” Ginny let him go and Potter chimed in. “Yeah, we were just chopping down trees all day. The potions are just to help her muscles heal. You can check them if you want.”
Ernie shook his head more firmly. “No, I believe you. Have a good night Ginny!”
Ginny nodded but found that the embarrassment was too acute and couldn’t do more than stare at the ground as the portkey activated.

Upon arriving Ginny kneaded her eyes deeply, willing herself to forget the last 30 seconds of her life before going to find Marzoc to give her report. She found her with Robards, deep in discussion in the office eating area.
“Thanks for the report, Weasley. By the way, what’s that slip you got there?” Asked Marzoc after Ginny finished. “Hm? Oh, just a list of potions that Potter recommended to help with sore muscles. I was helping him with the trees.” She added, seeing the older aurors look of confusion.

“A potions list? From Potter?” Interrupted Robards. “Give it here!” He snatched the list and began poring over it greedily. A shocked Ginny watched as Robards finished going over the list, before handing it back. “Well, seems to be all in order. Just standard potions for muscle repair and pain relief.”

“Sir, why the inspection? It’s just a list of potions?” Asked Ginny a bit angrily, as Marzoc watched on in interest. “Ah, well, Weasley this is Harry Potter you’re dealing with. His safety is top priority!” Robards responded, his mind clearly elsewhere.
“Yes, sir, clearly, but this was a list coming from him, how could it be dangerous?” Demanded Ginny. “Look Weasley there’s no such thing as too careful alright? Marzoc I need to see you in my office.” Replied Robards, brushing off Ginny and then quickly left for his office. Marzoc shrugged and followed, leaving a bewildered Ginny behind. Everything about Robards attitude seemed off. And Marzoc’s warning returned to her mind. Between her issues with Potter and whatever Robards was doing, it was driving her up a wall.

Ginny set off for her apartment, hoping that a decent night sleep would help her figure out Robards and give her some hope for the next day with Potter.

Sleep came that night but the morning brought no resolutions. That Robards suspected Potter was trying to poison her was the only thing she could think of and that made no sense. If Potter wanted her dead, he had all day to figure out to do it, and it was Harry bloody Potter, savior of the world. Ginny tried to clear the mystery from her head and focus on the upcoming day. She hoped that the tension would thaw a bit as a result of the work together.
Ginny was half right. While there was no more awkward, angry tension, instead of leaving space for
companionship, it had been replaced with an even worse type of tension. Potter couldn’t even look her in the face upon her arrival, and Ginny felt torn between embarrassment that probably matched his own, or an inexplicable anger. What did he have to be embarrassed about anyway!

The day was torture and passed in silence, except for brief coordination about which trees to focus on and the steady sound of axes on wood. Ginny was grateful though, as the potions had done their trick and she hadn’t felt the awful soreness that often follows a new exercise. Trudging back to the Portkey point, Ginny resolved to take them again that night.
The next day was somehow even worse. The silence from the day before compounded with the silence of the new day, and now they could barely look at each other. Ginny found herself glancing at the sun, willing it to set faster, and was all to glad to get away from the accursed clearing.

That night, laying in bed, waiting for the potions to take effect, Ginny found that she was incredibly happy that the next day was Sunday. Robards had arranged for new aurors to come in to give her and Ernie one day off a week, and Ginny planned to take full advantage of it.

It would have been a glorious morning; shining sun, warm fall day, and no reason to wake up. Except, of course, for the fact that the alarm clock that she thought she had repaired decided that going off every 5 minutes from 6:15 until 7:30 was the correct course of action for the day.

Still waking up early had its benefits. Ginny wasn’t sure what those benefits were, but there had to be some. Otherwise, why else would people that woke up early brag about it so much? Granted she was able to finish nearly all her chores before most reasonable people were out of bed, but Ginny could not, in good conscience, consider that a win.
That afternoon, having finished everything she needed to do, Ginny decided to head over to the Burrow. Sunday dinner was sure to be in the works and Ginny felt confident in her ability to scrounge a snack from the predinner preparations. What she was not prepared for was the sheer number of people already at the house. Yes, the Weasleys were a large family, and yes Sunday dinner was an event, but Ginny had been hoping for some quiet before the storm that was her family struck. Instead, she discovered Fred, George, Ron, and her parents, of course, already at the house, with Bill and Fleur (plus Victoria) walking in behind her.

“Ginny! We haven’t-
-seen you in ages!
Can we interest you in pasty?” ping pong the twins. Ginny just shook her head. “Fred, George, how many times do I have to tell you. Ron is the easier target. Just slip it on his plate of existing pasties and I’m sure he’ll eat it without noticing.

“Ah dear sister, I wish it were that easy.” Replied George mournfully. Fred nodded along. “You see, little Ginnikins, dear Ronald won’t eat a bite. To nervous. About Hermoine coming for dinner!” finishing in a stage whisper.


Bill and Fleur, who had taken a seat in the living room laughed as Ron blushed.

“Oi! I can hear you, you know! And I’m not nervous I’m just-“ A knock at the door interrupted him and Ron was up in flash, nearly bowling over the twins in an attempt to get to the door. Moments later Ron re-entered the room dejectedly, with an amused Percy following behind.

“You know Ron” Said Fred slowly “I reckon you’re right. Cause that is how a totally sane, non-nervous bloke reacts-“ Fred never got to finish as Ron tackled Fred and a wrestling match quickly ensued. George got close, poised to enter at the opportune time, while Percy watched, only slightly disapproving.

“Say Perc, I put 5 knuts on Ron, what do you think?” Said an amused Bill. Percy sniffed dismissively, then paused as George jumped on Ron’s back. “hmm what would you say to a sickle?”

“Ron! Think of Hermoine coming! Do you really want to get all dirty before she gets here!” Ginny called out, trying to calm the chaos. Ron was unable to respond as either Fred or George had managed to get an arm around his throat, and he was steadily turning purple. Shaking her head at her brother’s antics, Ginny went to find her mum and dad.

“Ginny dear, how are you?” asked Molly as Ginny entered the kitchen. “It’s been a while since we’ve seen you, I take you started your new assignment?” Ginny nodded “How’d you know mum?”

“Oh, your father mentioned something about it, said it was quite important.” Said Molly as she bustled around the kitchen. “Ah, that makes sense” mumbled Ginny as she ducked her head. Nothing her father had said had been untrue she supposed. Ginny jumped in and began helping her mum prepare dinner, and she marveled at her ability. True, as a mother, Molly Weasley could be a tad overbearing and a bit controlling, but there was nobody that walked away from her table unfed or uncared for. And she was loved in return.

“How’d you do it, Mum?” she asked suddenly, as they sat after putting the last of the vegetables in the oven. Molly looked at her in question and Ginny continued. “I know you’re one of the reasons dad has been more…ambitious lately. And I know that you’ve had Minister Bones and Deputy Minister Shacklebolt for dinner, not to mention all the other politicians, most of whom hate each other, but nobody ever says a bad word about you or dad. Why is that?”

Ginny knew she had pressed too hard. Molly’s ‘mother’ sense had been triggered. She set down her cup of tea and considered Ginny shrewdly. “What’s this about Ginny? Having trouble at work? Or is this more…personal? I’m hoping the latter.” She said with a small smile.

Fighting hard against the inexplicable blush that came to her cheeks, Ginny responded. “No, mum, nothing like that. It’s more just a complication with this assignment I’m on.”

“Mmmhmmm” Said Molly in an unconvinced tone. “Yes, well, in that case. Do you know why I cook so much? Never thought about it? There’s the obvious reason that if I let your father cook we’d all be long dead. But no, the reason I cook is because there is power in sitting at the same table as some one and eating a meal. There is a connection that comes from breaking bread together. It is…human…to sit and share a space. Have you eaten with this person you are trying to woo?”
“Muuummm” Ginny complained her blush now firmly back in place. She hadn’t been expecting the question, which was a mistake on her part as it had been one of Molly’s moves for years. “I’m not trying to woo him, just, ya know, ease some tension.”

“Alright, alright.” Said Molly with a smile. Their conversation ended as the boys began trooping into the kitchen, Bill chuckling and dropping some silver into his pocket. “You lost?” exclaimed Ginny in the direction of Fred and George. “There’s two of you!”
“He cheated!” Whined George.
“Yeah!” Continued Fred “Since when has biting been allowed! And blows below the belt will be returned in kind, little brother!” He called out to Ron’s retreating figure. The door bell rang again, and Ron’s smile melted away as he quickly hurried to open it. Ginny didn’t understand why he was so nervous. Hermoine had been here dozens of times. But, she thought, it might be a bit different as a significant other.

“Hermoine!” Ginny yelled excitedly as the older bushy haired girl entered. She rushed forward and threw her arms around her. “It’s been forever! You’ve got to stop spending all your time with my git of a brother and make some time for me!”
Hermoine smiled at Ginny before looking at Ron. “Oh, I don’t know, your brother makes for pretty good company sometimes.” Ron beamed while Ginny harumphed. “So, tell me, how is the Department of Magical Law? Everything you hoped it would be?”

“If only” Hermoine said with a shake of her head. “Sometimes it feels like I’m fighting a tsunami. There is so much history and tradition associated with every law that making even minute changes is nearly impossible. I’ve found a few sponsors for a new bill I’m introducing though, so I have high hopes for this one.”

The family took their seats at the table and conversation and food flowed. Ginny was amazed to see how happy and easy Ron and Hermoine looked together. They had spent most of the dinner locked in their own world, talking contentedly in low voices, and remaining in almost constant physical contact. All too soon the dinner was gone and Arthur stood and raised a glass. “Thank you everyone for coming here tonight. I know it’s not often we make it all together, and I’m grateful for times when it happens. Before we go our ways, as I know is soon to happen,” He nodded to Fleur who was holding an obviously very sleepy Victoria” I just wanted us all to raise to remember Charlie. To Charlie!” “To Charlie!” the rest of the family echoed.

“May wherever he be, there also be dragons!” Added George.

“In a purely…platonic way, of course.” Continued Fred.

There was an appreciative chuckle and the family began their preparations to depart their own ways. Ginny took the moment to examine her family. They had all taken the death of their brother so differently. Fred and George had gotten serious about their joke business, Ron had decided to apply for and had gotten his dream position as an assistant coach on the Appleby Arrows. It wasn’t the Cannons, but he was working to make a way over to his favorite team. And Bill and Percy…Ginny looked over as Bill and Percy hugged goodbye. Charlie was always the one that had held the eldest three together, and with him gone, Bill and Percy had made much more of an effort to connect. Somehow it seemed he was still around, as he was the one who had suggested Victoria as the name for Bill’s daughter. It was an aspirational name at the time, but maybe Charlie just knew something nobody else did, because it was one year to the day after Victoria’s birth that the war was ended. And it was the day following that Charlie’s wounds proved to be too much.

Ginny wasn’t sure that that wound would ever heal for their parents, though. She wasn’t sure that was something anyone could ever heal from.

As was her custom, Ginny began grabbing leftovers to make a few meals from, and remembering the advice from her mother, packed more than she usually would, easily enough to feed two people. Molly, seeing what she was doing, began to help, without saying a word. Ginny knew that it would not last. And she was right.

“Ginny, I know what you said before” she began, handing Ginny her packaged food, “but I have to say, I haven’t seen you that blushed and flustered since…well… before Dean. Just something to think about, dear.”
Ginny immediately resolved not to think about it.

The next day dawned full of promise. Though Ginny doubted the insight into her personal life, Molly understood people and had to make a bad meal. Still, that morning was as awkward as it had been the days prior. The oppressive silence only seemed tougher to break as time went on. Ginny and Potter fell into their normal routine of clearing trees, and though it was still exhausting, she knew that she had adapted somewhat to the demanding exercise. But as the sun rose higher, Ginny’s nerves grew. It was a good plan, Molly approved even, but still what if he refused? And why was the prospect of talking to him suddenly terrifying? Ginny shook herself a bit. She was Ginny Weasley, for merlin’s sake. She had fought in several battles, led a resistance group at Hogwarts and survived growing up with Fred and George. She could talk to Harry bloody Potter. The decision made, she let her axe fall and threw herself onto the grass.

“I’m beat. Think I’ll have myself some lunch.” She called out opening her bag. Potter glanced at her before nodding slowly and sitting on a stump a few feet away. Ginny had never paid much attention to what he brought for lunch but hoped it would be something that would allow for an invitation to join her. Potter pulled out some kind of muggle container and began shoveling…something… into his mouth mechanically. It was brown. And lumpy. And, Ginny thought it might be her imagination, smelled faintly of feet.

“What…what is that?” Ginny asked wide eyed. Potter looked up in confusion before following Ginny’s eyes down to his ‘meal’. “Soup.” He responded as if explaining the obvious.

“Potter..” Ginny said slowly. “I hate to break it to you, but that is not soup. I’m not sure it’s technically even food.” Ginny smiled as she said, hoping to take some of the sting out of the words. It seemed to work as Potter sighed a bit and mournfully examined his lunch. “I, um, never really learned how to cook. I was on the move too much as a kid. Now I kind of experiment and see what happens. This one…did not turn out. But I’ve eaten worse so…” Potter said with a shrug.
Ginny shook her head before picking up the several baskets that made up her lunch and brought them over to where Potter was sitting. “Come on,” she said to him. “My mum always makes way too much food and she would kill me if she knew I was letting you eat whatever that is instead of her cooking.”

Potter stared skeptically before seeing and smelling the food that Ginny was laying out, and promptly joining her on the grass. As they ate together, Ginny could feel the tension that had been mounting the last several days melt away little by little.

“Can I ask something?” Said Ginny tentatively. Potter stopped buttering what had to be his 5th roll and nodded to her. “Why a quidditch pitch?” Potter took a bite of his roll and chewed it contemplatively. “I don’t know if you know this, but I was raised by my godfather, Sirius Black.” Ginny rolled her eyes. Only Harry Potter wouldn’t know that the whole world knew almost everything about his life. “We moved around a lot. A lot of time it was just us, but we had a bunch of other people that would join us for periods. Anyway, Sirius loved to fly. Didn’t care much for quidditch, but I was mad for it. We even went to a few matches. In disguise, of course. Most of the places we stayed were in large cities. Harder to be tracked down. Meant there wasn’t much room to fly. We always talked about building a place where we could fly, free from prying eyes or threats. After the final battle and his…I just thought this was a good idea, I guess. Sorry, that doesn’t really make sense-“
“No” Ginny interrupted “It makes perfect sense.” Potter nodded, not meeting her eyes. “So if you love to fly so much, why haven’t I seen you up in the air? In fact, I haven’t even seen any brooms around here.” Potter nodded towards a tall growth of underbrush. “There’s a broom shed under there with brooms in it. I haven’t because….” He took a deep breath “it’s not only my broom that’s in there.”

With a flash of understanding, Ginny understood. The first time she had opened the broom shed at home and seen Charlies old Cleansweep 3, she had broken down and cried for what seemed like days. It seemed to be proof that he really was gone.

Ginny leaned forward and placed her hand on top of Harry’s. “I understand.” She said softly. It was all she said, and they sat for a moment before Ginny sat back up. “So, mad for quidditch huh? Well, who’s your team then? And if you say the Cannons, I may never share food with you again.”

Their conversation quickly fell into an easy cadence, Ginny sharing that she had considered professional quidditch and Harry calling her crazy for not doing it. Ginny was surprised at the response. Most people she had told thought she was crazy for even considering it. “I couldn’t” she explained “With the war going on, all public events were shut down from my 7th year until just a few months ago. That included quidditch.” “I see” teased Harry “so you thought, ‘well, why not just become an auror instead?’”.


“What? Like it’s hard?” Replied Ginny cockily.

It was with some regret, at least on Ginny’s part, that they easily finished off the food she had brought. Before heading back to their tree’s Ginny mustered her courage and grabbed the forgotten container of ‘soup’. “Can I try this?” she said, holding it up. Harry grimaced and began to shake his head but ignoring him, Ginny opened it up and took a small bite. Ginny had been right early. It not only smelled of feet but tasted of it too. Ginny managed not to spit it out. Barely.
She turned to look at Harry who had been watching her anxiously. “Look Harry, I know you’re set on finishing this pitch, but I think one of these days I may need to teach you how to cook. You could kill somebody with this stuff if you’re not careful!”
Harry looked a bit surprised before smirking. “I never told you to try it…Ginny. But I suppose I would allow that. For safety reasons, of course.” He responded. They smiled at each other before turning and going back to their work, both a bit pink.


The next 2 weeks were much more enjoyable than the first, and Ginny found herself looking forward more and more to meeting with Harry every day. She made a mental note to thank her mum, because since their shared meal, Harry had been opening more and more to her, and for some reason, Ginny found this exhilarating.

It was late on Saturday night, during the second week of October. Ginny and Harry were packing up and getting ready for the hike back when several muted cracks broke the tranquility of the forest. Ginny’s wand was in her hand before she had time to think, but before she could find the source of the noise, she felt a hand shove her in the back and she tumbled down. A purple spell split the air above her head, and Ginny rolled, knowing they had seen her go down while searching for the source.

Harry took a different approach. Spells continued to fly out of the woods, and Potter stood tall, dancing around them. He seemed to have cast several semitransparent shields that would step around to return fire. Ginny was surprised to see several bodies already on the ground. Seeing motion on Harry’s left, Ginny quickly sent a stunning spell from her place on the ground that found its target. Harry nodded his thanks before returning to the fight.

Ginny watched as Potter banished his shields and walked towards the final two combatants, casually deflecting or dodging the barrage of spells that rocketed towards him. One of the two, a smaller rounder attacker, quickly took several steps back. “Avada Kadavra!” He yelled out in a weak, high-pitched voice. It was not the first killing spell that he had cast, but instead of being directed at Harry, it was sent at one of the unconscious attackers. The man quickly repeated his actions, ensuring that all the would-be assassins on the ground were no longer unconscious. His work down, the small man turned his wand on the only other surviving attacker. Ginny knew what was going to happen before it did. The bright green flash illuminated them briefly before the sound of a body hitting the ground reached her.

“My master will come for you, Potter,” The voice called again. “Your time is limited!”
A crack cut the newfound silence, and Ginny and Harry were left along with nothing but bodies and the sounds of their heavy breathing.

Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 5

Chapter 5
The Malfoy family had held their land in Wiltshire for centuries. Taken in one of the countless goblin wars, they had held the land through power and blood. The lush rolling hills had long been a symbol of the Malfoy family’s opulence and position in the wizarding world. The final battle had robbed the Malfoy’s of both the land of its richness and the family of its heirs. Or so it was believed.

Deep in the wilted and battle-scarred forest, a murder of ravens was startled out of their home by loud crack, accompanies by the sudden appearance of a short, round man. He took a moment o orient himself before setting off hurriedly through the dying forest.

After several minutes of scurrying, he paused, seeming to sniff the air, before walking back and forth in front of a large burnt alder tree. “I know you’re there, Travers.” The man whined “I can’t find the trigger, just let me in!”

Another man seemed to appear from behind a tree only a few feet away. “Pettigrew” he said with disgust “I think you’ve spent too much time as a rat if you can sniff me out.”

“Or maybe you need to bath a bit more Travers.” The shorter man retorted. Travers stepped forward threateningly. “what did you say?” he growled out. Pettigrew seemed to shrink into himself. “Nothing! Just… nothing.” He said in a squeaky voice. Travers just leaned back against a tree, laughing cruelly. “You always were a coward Pettigrew.” The heavy-set man reached out and tapped a branch with his wand. Immediately, roots began to move beneath the ground, and large tunnel appeared, leading into the dirt at a severe angle.

Pettigrew half slid half walked into the hidden dimly lit cavern. A large, blazing bonfire dominated the center of the cave, but the light wasn’t quite strong enough the reach the walls, and Pettigrew knew that he was being watched from the shadows.
Pettigrew approached a singular figure, sitting in a high-backed chair at the edge of the firelight. Shadows danced along their face, as they stared sightlessly into the twisting flame.

Pettigrew fell to his knee in supplication. “My lady! I did as you instructed. I led the scout team and tested the information given to us by the spy. The ward stone was misplaced, just as they said it would be. Potter and his bodyguard killed the rest of the team, but I was able to fight my way clear.”

“Liar” whispered a voice from the throne. “You ran at the first sign of danger.” Pettigrew flushed from his position on the ground. “ Did you at least ensure the rest were unable to give away any secrets?”

“Yes, my Lady.” Pettigrew replied sulkily, still kneeling.

“Good. At least your cowardice has it’s uses. Now fetch me the mirror.”

Pettigrew hastened to grab a small silver mirror from a small chest along the back of the cave. He placed in gently into the waiting hand. A wand extended from the shadows to tap delicately on the face of the mirror. “James Potter.” Said the voice softly.

A cloaked face appeared. “You promised me he would be dead.” A quiet intense voice said through the mirror. “You promised you would be here personally. Now Potter is still alive and he knows you’re coming for him.”

“Now I know your information is accurate. Do you believe me a fool, to trust you on your word? But you have proven your worth, and now we can plan in earnest.” Replied the sitting figure.

“Do you know how much work it was to create that gap in the wards? How hard it was to conceal it? I never agreed to-“
“Do you want Potter dead, or not?” came the cruel question.

“…Fine. But tell you man not to warn his opponents next time. Bloody stupid to tell your target that you’re coming for him.”
The cloaked image disappeared from the mirror, as the Pettigrew shrank against the wall and tried to slip away. “Ohhhh Peteerrrrr” sang a soft voice. “you did what now? Naughty, naughty Peter.”

“No Lady Lestrange! Please” Yelled a terrified Peter, as Bellatrix’s wand slowly raised to rest on him.


Ginny stood impatiently as Robards began his questions from the beginning. Again. “So there was nothing out of the ordinary? You didn’t notice anything?”

Ginny sighed deeply. “No, I didn’t notice anything Robards. Everything was normal. Suddenly they were inside the wards and spells were flying.”

Robards nodded, making a note on a parchment he was carrying. Ginny had no idea what he could be writing down, as she had answered this same question at least 3 times. “And one away?” Continued Robards.

“Yes. Killed the others and then disapparated.” Said Ginny shortly.

“Funny.” Called out Marzoc who was walking by. “He usually never lets anyone get away. Usually kills them all himself too.” She finished in a low voice, apparently talking mostly to herself.

Ginny looked over at Harry, who was undergoing his own interrogation. He seemed calm and unruffled, as if he hadn’t just survived an attempt on his life and seen the deaths of five men. It had never struck Ginny before what kind of life Harry must have had. The lives he must have taken. She felt a rush of admiration for the man who had suffered and given so much.
“I know this must have been a bit traumatic for you Ginny” Said Robards in an undervoice. “If you want, I can reassign you, find you something else?”

“No!” Burst out a surprised Ginny. “I mean, I’ll stay on Harry. I mean Potter. I mean stay on his body. As his body. Body guard.” She forced herself to stop talking before the blood rush to her head became permanent. Taking a deep breath she asked, “So any leads on how they got it and who they were?” mostly to distract the smirking Robards.

Robards face turned to stone. “Preliminary results show there was a ward stone that was misplaced. Someone is going to lose their job for that.” He paused, his shoulders slumping. “The attackers…missing witches and wizards. Missing for months. Likely imperiused. probably tortured. Innocents.”

A wave of nausea hit Ginny so severely that she almost feel to her knees. “Oh Merlin.” She breathed out.

Robards nodded in agreement, face like stone. “We’ll catch the bastard behind this, you just worry about watching Potter’s back.” Robards clasped her shoulder and wandered towards Potter.


Ginny didn’t sleep that night. The assumption of safety that Ginny had built since the end of the war had been shaken badly. As had her ability in a fight. Ginny knew herself. She was a good auror. And a great fighter. One of the best, if not the best, in the department. But how Potter had moved, how he had fought, was unlike anything she had ever seen.


Harry and Ginny were quiet the next morning, both seeming to prefer the company of their own thoughts.

As Harry laid down his bag, Ginny broached the silence. “Harry?” Harry turned towards Ginny. “Could you teach me?”

“Teach you?” Repeated Harry in confusion.

“How to duel like you. I’ve never seen anyone fight like that.” Ginny explained softly. “Please, Harry.”

Harry stared at her, before sighing and nodding resignedly. Ginny didn’t know where he kept his wand, but it was suddenly in his hand. Ginny pulled her own wand and took position across from him.

“The first rule is movement. All those rules about bowing and standing are all crap. You stay in one place, you die. The second is creativity. Combine spells, alternate your casting pattern, take advantage of the terrain.” Harry ran his hands through his hair. “But…the only real way to learn is to practice. So let’s begin.”

Harry suddenly cast a full body bind at Ginny. Ginny, caught completely by surprise, still managed to get a shield up, but the force of the spell shattered her shield and she found herself on the ground. Harry cast the counter charm, and Ginny say up angrily. “You could have warned me!” She yelled, sitting up on her elbows.

“I told you, you have to move, be creative. In a real fight no one is going to yell go.” Responded Harry calmly.

Ginny rubber her side, where she had landed on a large root. “You could have at least cushioned my fall.” She grumbled. Harry shrugged. “Pain is a good teacher.” He responded simply.

Ginny, hoping to catch him unawares cast a sudden stunning spell. Harry ducked under it easily. “Not bad! Though your aim is too high. A hit in the head or the leg is the same and its harder to dodge low spells.”

Back and forth they went, but it was only moments later that Ginny’s wand was ripped from her hand. Harry didn’t gloat or smirk. He handed her wand back and demanded she go again. This continued for hours, but the result never seemed to change; Harry standing over her, hand extended to help her back to her feet.

Ginny was exhausted. As she took her place again, she thought quickly. Potter initiated it, casting a powerful confundus charm at her. Ginny dove out the way, rolling up and casting a shield against the hex she knew was coming. The spell crashed against her shield, giving off a blinding flash. Ginny sensed that another spell was coming and took a risk. She put her arm in the path f the spell, hoping it would seem she had stumbled, and felt her left arm go numb up to the shoulder. Ginny fell to the ground with a cry.

Ginny laid on her stomach, listening to Potter get closer. When he was standing right over her, she slipped her wand out from under her body and whispered “Stupify!” The spell took Harry in the leg sending him flying into the ground.
Ginny rolled to her back, laughing tiredly, before reviving Harry, who sat up with a look of shock.

“That was incredible Ginny!” He yelled excitedly, bouncing over to her. “I can’t believe I didn’t see it! I’ve never heard you yell out when hurt before. It was brilliant!” He said, helping her to her feet and hugging her.

Ginny instinctively wrapped her arms around him. Suddenly she didn’t feel so tired. The hug went on and Ginny was suddenly very conscious of how sweaty and dirty she was from their hours of dueling.

She pulled away from Harry who seemed…disappointed.

“Can we take a break?” asked Ginny. “I’m beat. And Dirty.”

Harry laughed and they sat, sharing the water that Harry had brought.

“You really are good, you know. One of the best I’ve ever dueled.” Said Harry suddenly. Ginny blushed, but smiled, pleased with his compliment. “Thanks Harry. And I guess I did beat you.”

Harry snorted. “Yeah, like one time. Bring you’re A game next time Weasley. Make it more interesting,”
Their good natured ribbing continued as they set off back towards Harry’s house.

“Well, some of us didn’t get a lifetime of training. Seems like an unfair advantage!” Said Ginny with a bit of heat.
Harry laughed before turning solemn. “I wish I didn’t, you know.” He said with a sigh. “Didn’t what?” asked Ginny. “Have a lifetime of training. My whole life has been training, or running, or manipulation. Makes a body paranoid.” Replied Harry.
“What do you mean manipulation?” Called Ginny, as she walked around a large tree trunk.

“Weeelll” drew out Harry as the path came together again “After Voldemort came back, everybody wanted a piece of “Harry Potter’. To use for whatever agenda they saw fit. The ministry, Dumbledor, Voldemort. They all had their plans. Made me question every interaction, look for ulterior motives. Like why they sent you here.”

Ginny scoffed. “Please. They sent me as punishment. And it has been.” She finished with a teasing smile. Harry and Ginny exited the forest and began walking towards the portkey point.

Harry nodded “I’m sure it has been.” He agreed seriously. “But that wasn’t the only reason. They send that last auror because she had seen almost as much fighting as I had. Probably hoped we would bond over it. They sent Ernie cause he’s my age, a contemporary. They sent you cause you’re….you.” He finished lamely.

Ginny was intrigued now. “No, go on, why do you think they sent me.”

Harry breathed through his nose before quickly saying “You’re fun, young, brave. A proven auror and a fighter. Your father is a high ranking in the ministry. So any positive perception of you reflects back on the ministry. And you’re so…alive.” He paused, thinking deeply. “You love life, make the most of it.” He shook his head. “Not to mention you’re beautiful.”
Harry’s eyes widened as he realized what he had said. Any response Ginny would have had was preempted by the flash of light that signaled Ernie’s arrival. Ginny took the portkey from Ernie not hearing what he was saying, or taking her eyes off Harry, who welcomed Ernie, then turned to look at Ginny, eyes dark and intense.

The portkey whisked Ginny back but she still felt his eyes on her. She quickly gave her report to Marzoc before setting off for the Burrow.

She walked in the door to find Fred and George sitting at the dining room table.

“What’s up with you Ginny?” Asked Fred, looking up from their game of exploding snap.

“She looks like Ron after a date with Hermione.” Chortled George.

Ginny felt the smile she didn’t realize she had slip from her face.
Oh no.

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6

Chapter 6
24 hours later

Ginny gulped down a large swallow of firewhiskey before lowering her head to the table with a groan. “This was a terrible idea.” She muttered vaguely to the table. “Why did I let you convince me to do this, again?” She directed her question to a laughing Luna and Demelza.

“First of all” began Demelza indignantly “you chose this…bar if that’s what you want to call it. Second of all, I’ve never seen you so stressed before. You need a chance to relax, Ginny. This auror shite is no joke.”

Ginny glared a bit at Demelza, who despite drinking nearly as much as Ginny, seemed annoyingly sober. Luna, who was very pregnant, just hummed contentedly as she watched them slowly lose their wits.

“Alright, I think you’re drunk enough. Spill!” commanded Demelza. Ginny took another sip, letting her head fall back to stare at the ceiling. Her alcohol addled brain took a moment to chug through the mental gymnastics of what to say, and more importantly, what not to say. “It’s just a new assignment.” She finally signed.

“I don’t think so,” piped up Luna. “During your last assignments, it seemed to make you so happy. It was like you were had eaten a generous portion of Snorkack horn, which is said to make you levitate and tie your mood to the ambient magic in the air.”

Ginny, unfazed by Luna’s unique perspective, knew there was some truth in her words. It forced Ginny to remember the facts that had landed her in the situation she was in. She called out to the waitress to bring something to sober her up. Both Luna and Demelza looked up in surprise at Ginny.

“Look,” Ginny said softly. “I screwed up. I hurt somebody. An innocent somebody. I was drunk. It was a mistake. I…I don’t know…It’s just made me question a lot about myself and thrown off my focus. It’s…hard.”

Luna reached out and stroked Ginny’s face. “Ginny, I know you. I’ve known you since we were 8. If what happened, happened the way you think it happened, which seems an unlikely happenstance, then what happened, must have been something that needed to happen.”

Ginny blinked trying to sort out what Luna said, while Demelza nodded sagely. “Right, Luna, Ginny would never hurt someone without them deserving it. What happened?” she asked with a small smile.

Ginny quickly gave a rundown of what she remembered. Before she had even finished, Demelza was shaking her head. “Ginny, I’ve been around you drunk. In fact, I was there the first time you were drunk. There are two types of drunk Ginny; playful Ginny and recluse Ginny. I don’t believe for a second that you did that. And if you did then something truly horrific happened that you don’t remember.” Luna hummed in agreement.

Ginny, despite her misgivings, felt a rush of warmth for her friends. It was as if a fog that settled into her brain had been dispelled. Unfortunately, it also brought the day’s events to mind. Ginny strongly reconsidered her decision to sober up.
Luna saw the sour expression on Ginny’s face and leaned forward to examine her more closely. “Ginny” Luna said in a delighted voice, “I think you have wrackspurts!” Ginny’s head shot up. “That’s ridiculous Luna!” Ginny burst out.

Demelza looked back and forth in confusion. Though Demelza had spent some time with Luna, she still hadn’t learned the implications of Luna’s ‘sightings’. “Sorry, what are wrackspurts?” Demelza asked curiously.

“Wrackspurts are small magical creatures that are attracted to specific emotions. Specifically, strong attraction and lust. But love attracts them most of all. And you’ve got a lot of wrackspurts Ginny.” Luna finished matter-of-factly. Demelza raised her eyebrows in surprise, before investigating Ginny’s beet red, yet defiant face. “It IS boy trouble.” Demelza cackled.

“Alright alright, keep your pants on!” Ginny hissed, not eager to have this sort of thing shouted out to the bar. Demelza rolled her eyes.
“Nobody in here cares about that Ginny. Merlin, I can’t believe it. You haven’t even looked at boys since…well, what happened to Dean.” Demelza said softly. “Is that what’s bothering you? Ginny, I know what it’s like, but you have to move on at some point.”

“This isn’t about Dean.” Said Ginny sadly. “Honestly, it's everyone else that seems so caught up on the past. Even you, Dem, bring up Dean as soon as another guy shows up.” Ginny shook her head at friends, then stopped as they stared at her. “What?” She challenged.

“I knew you had wrackspurts,” hummed Luna. Demelza laughed as Ginny spluttered, trying to deny what she had let slip. “Spill, spill, spill.” Chanted Demelza, pounding her fists on the table.

Ginny reluctantly gave in.
“Fine, fine. There is…somebody. Maybe. But Merlin, it's all a bloody mess. He’s someone I work with.” She added for clarification, seeing their confusion. “In fact, he’s…kind of my current assignment.” Luna made a small ‘o’ of surprise.

“The ol’ forbidden fruit, huh Ginny?” Asked Demelza wickedly. “It's not like that, okay!” Ginny replied earnestly. “He just…he gets it okay?”

“Gets what?” asked Luna. Ginny paused, forcing her newly sober brain to think. “He knows, knows what its like to face evil, and darkness and despair and come out the other side. But not come out full. Not come out untouched.”

Demelza and Luna sat in contemplative silence for a moment before Demelza spoke. “So, what will you do?”

Ginny groaned. “I don’t know. I had to see him again today, and I have to see him again tomorrow. And it's just so bloody awkward. We couldn’t even look at each other.”

“Why?”

“Cause he told me…well he told me that I’m beautiful,” Ginny said blushing. The other girls laughed.

“I’m not totally sure but wouldn’t that normally be a good thing?” queried Luna.

“Yes, normally, when I didn’t have to bloody see him every day, and when both people are functioning adults, capable of being in a relationship.” Replied Ginny through ground teeth.

“I still don’t see the problem.” Complained Demelza.

“It. Is. Wrong.” Replied Ginny slowly. “As an auror, I cannot be…involved with someone I’m assigned to protect. It can’t happen.”

Demelza nodded her understanding. “So, what will you do?” She asked again.

Ginny squared her shoulders. “I’m a grown woman. I can control my feelings.”
Ginny almost believed herself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginny stared at herself in the mirror the next morning. “You can do this. Yes, you may have developed…feelings” she told herself with a shudder. “but that doesn’t change who you are. You are a grown witch, a capable adult and a bloody good auror. You will not let this effect you!”

Ginny hoped her pep talk would help. The day after Harry’s accidental confession had been nearly unbearable. He seemed to regret what he had said and that infuriated Ginny for some strange reason. Meanwhile, Ginny knew she couldn’t, as an auror, encourage those types of feelings and so had been distant and polite. It made Ginny want to beat her head against a tree.

Hours later, Ginny was forced to admit that the pep talk probably did not help. Ginny and Harry had almost completed the pitch, with only a few trees left to fell, but hadn’t talked almost at all throughout the day. Ginny hated herself for what she was doing. Hated that she felt like a fraud for changing her behavior. Hated that Harry seemed her hurt by her lack of willingness to engage. He’d even taken the initiative and tried to talk to her a few times, but Ginny had stuck to monosyllabic responses, and Harry had given up.

But Ginny knew it was what she had to do. She could do it. She could do it…

The rest of the day followed much the same way. By the time it came to head back to the house, Ginny wanted nothing more than to throw down her axe and curse Potter. She couldn’t explain why she felt that way. But Merlin, did she want to. They said frosty goodbyes before Ginny took the portkey back to the Auror’s office to give her report.

The next day began much the same. Ginny followed Harry, her eyes drifting slowly down his back…’No! Bad Ginny!’ She reprimanded herself.

They set to work in silence, picking up where they had left off the day before. Ginny’s eyes kept sliding over to find Harry, seemingly of their own accord. Harry, engrossed in his task, apparently didn’t notice.

Ginny cleared her throat, and Harry paused in his swing, turning to look at her. “Harry…” Ginny began, but paused as she noticed movement. Without thinking, Ginny tackled Harry to the ground, throwing a shield up around them as she did so. Ginny knelt, watching something silvery moving through the woods towards them, wand trained on it. “What is it?” asked Harry softly. He had his own wand out, but was trapped beneath her, and didn’t seem inclined to move. Ginny swallowed, realizing just how they were positioned. “I’m… not sure. There’s movement in the trees.”

Harry nodded. “Maybe you should let me up then?” He asked, looking up at her, but still not moving. Ginny hurriedly climbed to her feet, offering her hand to help him up.
Together, they turned to face whatever was coming. Suddenly a creature burst from the trees. It was large, probably 7 feet tall, and seemed the mix between an upright Rhino and hippogriff, with leathery skin, a spiraling horn, but also wings and taloned feet. It also seemed to be made of pure silver. It ran towards them, stopping outside the barrier of the shield.
“Is that a patronus?” asked Harry, intrigued.

It opened its mouth, and Luna’s voice came out. “Ginny, the babies coming. It’s too early, and Rolf is still in the Arctic. Help, Ginny.” The voice ended with a whimper. Ginny forced herself to breath. She had to think. What could she do? She would need permission to take Harry anywhere. She would need a portkey to get back if she left. Merlin, what could she do?
“So, are we going?” Harry’s voice broke her train of thought and she whirled on him.

“No, we can’t bloody go!” She nearly shouted. “We don’t have time to get permission to leave, and I really don’t want to bother Robards for permission for something like this. Merlin, she sounds like she needs help.” Ginny agonized, before hearing Harry clear his throat.

“Yeah, um, I don’t actually need permission to leave the wards. I just need an auror to accompany me. Rules of my…protection.” His voice was slightly bitter, but Ginny ignored it. “You…don’t need permission to leave?”
Harry rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet. “Umm no? I kinda just said that to my first guard cause I just didn’t want to go anywhere. It…became a whole thing.” He confessed.

“Okay. Okay. But I don’t know how to get back!” Ginny thought furiously, while pacing. She stopped and looked hard at Harry.
“Do you trust me?” Asked Ginny.
The question stilled Harry who had started to repack his bag. “….yes.” His response was almost inaudible, and seemed to cost him. Ginny fought against the sudden exultation his response brought, but couldn’t keep the smile from her face.
“Good, grab my arm. I’ll side along you there, and you can side along me back.” Ginny explained.

Harry moved forward to take hold of her arm, and together they disappeared and reappeared outside Luna’s house, inherited after her father’s death early on in the war. Ginny staggered, using Harry to keep balance, before hurrying forward towards the house. As they approached the door, the muffled cries reached their ears. Ginny increased her pace, and knocked urgently on the door. “Luna!” She called out. “It’s Ginny!” There was a muffled cry and the door swung open.
Ginny hurried into the house before pausing. “Harry,” She called “just stay here in the sitting room. Luna’s house is heavily warded, so you should be fine, and I’m not sure if Luna will want…strangers in the room.” She finished with a grimace.
Harry shrugged and took a seat in the sitting area just inside the doorway, choosing the one shaped like a radish over the bright yellow, canary shaped chair.

Ginny rushed into Luna’s bedroom, to find Luna sitting, covered in sweat, with a mediwitch sitting next to her. “Ginny, you came, I knew you would.” She said in an exhausted, strained voice. Ginny rushed over to take Luna’s hand. “What can I do?” Ginny asked anxiously. “Nothing right now, she’s almost ready to push, but I may need help after the baby comes.” Ginny nodded, wiping some sweat off Luna’s head as she leaned against Ginny. It was only minutes later that the mediwitch gave the signal that it was time to start pushing. Luna strained through a contraction that seemed to cramp her entire body. Luna groaned and Ginny whispered encouragement into her ear, uncertain what she was even saying. Another contraction racked Luna and suddenly a small cry filled the air. “One more big push, okay Luna?” Said the mediwitch in a calming voice. Luna nodded and bore down. Suddenly the mediwitch stood, and in her arms was a small bundle. Ginny couldn’t believe it. She had been in finishing her auror training when Victoria had been born, and she was positive that Fleur would never have allowed her in the room.

“Ginny, is it?” The mediwitch said to Ginny, who had been staring in a haze. “Would you mind conjuring some heated blankets, preferably some that will retain heat for, oh, about a week, and then start preparing a weight potion? The baby is a bit early, and will need to stay warm. The potion, Luna can take and it will get to the baby through the breast milk.” Ginny nodded, still a bit in shock, before conjuring the blankets. The mediwitch laid the baby on Luna’s chest, who smiled down at her child and began cooing.

“Maybe also some pepper up for this one. It was a hard birth.” The mediwitch added. Ginny nodded before departing and enlisting Harry to help her with the potions. The mediwitch had brought most of the ingredients that the potions would need, and together Her and Harry made quick work of it. She filled a few flagons with the potions, and her and Harry carried them back to the room.

Luna looked up at their entry, her eyes gliding over Harry in an exhausted way. Ginny quickly brought the pepper up potion over to Luna who quickly swallowed it and immediately flushed and sat up a bit more. The mediwitch put stored her wand, finished with cleaning and analysis of the baby. “Congratulations Luna, you have a healthy, 5 lb. 3 oz baby boy. What name shall I put down for records?”

“Panphilius. Panphilius Scamander.” Replied Luna, here eyes still on her baby. Harry quietly brought forward the flagon of the weight potion and set it down softly on the bedside table. The mediwitch nodded. “Perfect, well, I will be back to check on you in about 2 hours. Please let us know if you need anything before then!” She gave Ginny a few more instructions and then departed the room, leaving Harry, Ginny and Luna alone.

Luna seemed to finally notice there was another presence in the room. She looked, wide eyed, from Harry to Ginny, while Ginny, remembering their conversation just the other day, tried to convey a silent threat while also looking lovingly on the new baby. Somehow Luna seemed to understand though. “You’re Harry Potter, you know.” She said simply, fixing her large eyes on him. Harry shifted a bit, but nodded. “Would you like to hold little Phily?”

Harry blinked. “Oh don’t worry, he’s just a baby. Any bite is very unlikely to hurt.” She continued in a reassuring voice. Harry moved forward uncertainly, awkwardly reaching down to take the baby into his arms. He looked down at the soft bundle, amazement on his face. “You’d think you’d never held a baby before.” Teased Ginny. Harry shook his head. “I never have.” He replied, not taking his eyes from the sleeping newborn. “I…always wanted…kids, a family. But never thought…never thought I’d even see a baby. He’s beautiful.” The tenderness in his voice and eyes almost brought Ginny to tears. A vision sprang unbidden to her mind of him holding another child. A child with bright red hair.

Suddenly the bundle in Harry’s arms jerked, and a thin cry rang out. Harry hurried to return Phily to Luna, who cooed softly at him. “Is someone hungry? Yes, you are!” She opened her robe and began to nurse him as Harry and Ginny turned away.
“We’ll just be outside if you need us, okay Luna?” Said Ginny softly, and together they left the room. Their stay in the sitting room was short lived, as a tall thin man in brightly colored robes rushed into the house.

“Is she-“ He called out, before dashing up the stairs to Luna’s room upon seeing Ginny’s nod. Ginny looked over at Harry. “I suppose we can head out now. Right? She shouldn’t need us now.” She asked. Harry smiled at her and Ginny had to suppress a shiver. “Ginny, I know nothing about babies. It’s up to you.”

Ginny nodded and together they set off back to the edge of the apparition wards. When they hit the edge, Harry held out his arm and Ginny stopped confused. “You’ll have to take my arm if you want me to take you back to the house,” Harry said with a chuckle. Ginny flushed a bit before grabbing his arm, then readjusted, perhaps taking his arm more tightly than strictly necessary.

The contact sent a thrill through her, and Ginny had to admit one thing. She might be in trouble.

Back to index


Chapter 7: Chapter 7

Chapter 7
Ginny staggered slightly as her and Harry appeared just outside the cottage that was his home. Ginny stood for a moment before realizing she was still clutching Harry’s arm.

Hating herself for the slight blush that came to her face, she quickly let go. Harry shot her a small smile that Ginny returned reflexively. Harry set off and Ginny trailed slightly behind. To her surprise, they headed not toward the clearing but instead towards the house itself.

Ginny paused at the doorway, suddenly nervous. In all the weeks that she had protected Harry, she had never actually been inside the house. Harry looked back at her; eyebrows raised. “Would you like something to drink?” He asked, jerking his head towards the interior of the house. Ginny nodded, stepping over the threshold.

It was bigger on the inside than she expected. More due to the sparse decoration than anything magical. A comfortable looking chair and a small bookshelf dominated one corner, and a small couch sat in front of a large fireplace that acted as the focal point of the room. A small kitchen could be seen through an open doorway off to the right, while a hallway immediately to the left of the door most likely led to the bedroom. There was very little adornment to the house. Books were scattered around, and there were few glass instruments that looked remarkably similar to some of the dark detectors that Robards had in his office. There were no pictures.

Ginny sat on the chair, nearly facing the far end of the couch. Harry entered just a moment later, carrying two cups of steaming tea. He handed one to Ginny before settling into the couch with a sigh. Ginny fiddled with her tea for a moment as they sat in an awkward silence. “Sorry,” Harry said quickly “did you want to sugar, or milk?” Ginny grimaced. “No, no, this is fine! I was just thinking about Luna. I’m so happy for her, that everything turned out okay. And also slightly traumatized. I can’t believe that my mom did that seven times.” Ginny said with a shake of her head.

Harry’s eyes widened. “Seven times? SEVEN times?? And people think I’m crazy!” Ginny smiled, but didn’t say anything, her thoughts drifting back to Charlie.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean anything by it, I just can’t imagine that many siblings. What was it like?” Harry added hurriedly, with more than a bit of jealousy in his voice.

“I loved it,” Ginny responded fervently. “Oh, it was hard sometimes. I mean, six older brothers is…well, it was a lot growing up with them. I don’t think I experienced true quiet till they all left for Hogwarts. But I knew they would always be there for me. And they were. Whenever I needed them.” Ginny swallowed heavily, unable to keep talking.

“You lost someone, didn’t you?” He seemed to already know the answer.

“My second oldest brother, Charlie. He died the day after the final battle.” The words seemed to come out easier than she had expected.

“I understand.” He responded simply. Ginny knew he did.

“Charlie was incredible. The easiest to get along with, the most sure of who he was and what he wanted to do. He was a rock. Someone I thought would always be there. And now he’s not. Doesn’t seem fair sometimes. Or ever, really.”

Ginny shook her head to dispel the forming tear and cast around looking for a way to change the subject. “ You know, I’ve got five brothers, most of whom are very much single bachelors, and I have to say I was expecting your house to be much…different.”

Harry let a startled laugh. There wasn’t much amusement behind it. “Yeah, I suppose it could be called clean.” He shook his head ruefully. “Honestly, I’m not a clean person. Not really. But growing up, I lived out of my trunk. Got used to keeping everything in there in case we needed to move quickly. Still haven’t broken the habit I guess.”

“You were raised by Sirius black, your godfather, right?” Ginny asked curiously. Harry nodded in response, looking down at his tea. “What…what was it like? Growing up with him.” Ginny knew she was pushing him. Knew it would make him uncomfortable. But she couldn’t help herself. So much of harry was wrapped up in his past, and Ginny wanted badly to understand.

Harry didn’t move, didn’t seem to breathe even. The silence stretched and Ginny was sure that Harry wouldn’t respond. She opened her mouth to say something when Harry took a deep breath “It was good. Really good.” He said, exhaling rapidly. “we… we moved around a lot. Sirius, well, he was a bit paranoid. I’m, um, not sure how much you know about my…past,” Ginny almost snorted at that. It was cute that the most famous person in the wizarding world thought people may not know nearly every detail of his life. “my parents were betrayed by one of their friends to Voldemort. Sirius never really recovered. So, the number of people that Sirius let into his circle of trust…well I could count it one hand. Two, maybe, by the end. Remus Lupin, Dumbledor, Nymphadora Tonks, a few others. But Sirius was great, a best friend, older brother and father figure all in one. Ha. And a pet. He was an animagus, a big black dog.” Harry said in explanation.

Harry began chuckling, reminiscing about Sirius. “He loved to scare people, especially bakers. He’d sneak into a town square and wait for someone carrying bread. He’d get in real close, usually by crawling along on his belly, then spring out barking like mad. Poor sods almost always had heart attacks. Bread would go flying and then boom. Pigeon cyclone. Funniest thing I’d ever seen. I…I still can’t believe he’s gone…” His chuckling trailed off as he looked out the window.
“In fact…they’re all gone. Dumbledore and Sirius a few months before the battle. Lupin, Tonks, Hagrid. All gone in the final battle. I…”

Ginny watched closely as Harry suddenly seemed to collapse in on himself. Tears began rolling down his cheeks. Ginny sat stunned, before standing quickly and moving to sit next to him. She put an arm around him and pulled him down to lean on her as his tears continued. They sat like that for what could have been an eternity or a minute, Harry leaning on her shoulder, Ginny softly running her hand through his long hair. The moment was broken when Harry sat back up suddenly, turning his face away from Ginny.

“I’m sorry” he muttered, his voice thick “I didn’t mean to cry on you. It just…sort of hit me….
They really are gone. I don’t think I ever cried for them before. I think that’s why I started on the pitch. Easier to do something than to think, ya know? Plus seeing Luna with her son…it was hard. Amazing but hard. Especially because of the date.”

Ginny could have slapped herself. Halloween was only a few days away. Halloween to Harry Potter meant something very different. Ginny reached out to rub his back. “You don’t have to apologize, Harry. I understand. I’ve been there. My first real boyfriend, Dean, he… well when Voldemort’s thugs began rounding up muggle borns, he ran for it. We never broke up, but he had been gone for nearly a year with no contact. I think I knew what had happened, even before knowing. They…they killed him. Just for being a muggle born. It was hard. Bloody hard. But I hated how people danced around the subject, like they were afraid to bring it up or that it would break me. I let myself mourn, then moved on. Ironically, it got better after…after Charlie…” Ginny closed her eyes, breathing through her nose. She opened them to find Harry looking at her intently.
“I haven’t really dated since. And I learned that grief will eat you from the inside out if you let it. And it sounds like you’ve been holding it in so tightly. Thank you for sharing with me.” They paused taking comfort in the presence of another person who understood and wouldn’t trivialize or patronize their pain.

Ginny bumped Harry’s shoulder with her own. “So why don’t you tell me more about Sirius. He sounds like a riot.”
Harry gave her a slightly watery smile before taking a breath and began speaking again.

Ginny walked away that night with a much better understanding of what made Harry, well, Harry. He’d suffered so much, it was a miracle that he had survived, let alone become the hero that he was.


She made sure to watch Harry more closely over the next few days. They had finally finished the pitch, but the weather had taken a turn and so they had taken shelter inside the house, spending most of their time talking, playing chess and teaching each other new games. Ginny told herself that she was just making sure that Harry was okay, as the anniversary of his parens' deaths drew closer. The funny thing was that it seemed that Harry’s eyes were already on her whenever she snuck those glances in.

It took all of Ginny’s willpower to spend that time with Harry. Ever since the night they had talked they seemed to be in constant physical contact. Every touch seemed to set her skin on fire, and every look sent goosebumps racing along her body. She wanted more. Needed more. But she held off. She was an auror. He was her charge. She couldn’t become involved, it was a basic and fundamental auror rule. So, she drew back every time they got close. Looked away every time his green eyes landed on her brown ones. And it seemed to her that Harry did the same, as eager, but unsure, almost the same as her.

But as it got closer to Halloween, it became easier to be around Harry. He withdrew, became sullen and reflective. Halloween day he barely spoke. As the time for the shift change came, Ginny was desperate to remain, but unsure how. She knew Harry would need her but couldn’t create a scenario that would require her presence, and so took the portkey from Ernie and watched as he and Harry trudged back to the house. Harry watched her over his shoulder.

Ginny decided not to go out that night. She knew her friends would be out celebrating Halloween, but Ginny couldn’t get the look on Harry’s face out of her mind. She worried herself sick but couldn’t think of a way to contact him that wouldn’t be both highly obvious and extremely inappropriate. Something was going to happen; Ginny knew it deep in her bones. Around midnight Ginny woke with a gasp, a dream at the edge of her memory. Uncertain why, Ginny got up and began getting dressed.

Robards patronus found her mostly ready, sitting on the edge of her bed. Ginny half thought it was all a dream until Robards voice came out of the mouth of a large silver bull. “Get to the ministry now. Get a portkey to Potter’s cottage. Do so immediately.” Ginny felt her stomach drop. His voice made it clear that this was a command, not a request, and Ginny shot off the bed, grabbed some shoes, and immediately disapparated. Agnes was waiting for her with a portkey ready, and Ginny grabbed it, ignoring everything that she said. Ginny couldn’t think straight. What if he had been attacked? What if he had been hurt? She was supposed to be there to protect him, damn it.

The portkey activated and Ginny felt the familiar tug behind her navel, landing with steady feet outside Potter’s house.
Robards was there, deep in conversation with Marzoc and a few other senior aurors. Ginny jogged up to Robards, who turned to her as she approached. “Good, you’re here Weasley. I’ll need you to join the other aurors on a search party, you may know Potter better than any person alive, so think about where he may be.”

Ginny felt an icy clutch around her heart. “He’s…gone?”

Robards nodded grimly. “I came by to drop something off for MacMillan. Found him unconscious on the floor. Potter gone. But no sign that the wards have been tampered with or come down, so at least there’s that.”

Ginny inhaled slowly, trying to calm her beating heart. She began to ask another question when Robards eyes shifted to something behind Ginny and his face turned hard. Ginny whirled to see Harry walking out from among the trees, apparently surprised to see an entire auror squad and then some outside his house.

“Potter!” Robards snarled. “What in the devil is going on! MacMillan unconscious, and unrevivable, you gone. You’d better have a bloody good explanation for this!” Robards stalked over to glare at Harry, who returned the look coolly.
“It’s good to see you’re so concerned for my health, Robards. I was just out taking a stroll. Isn’t night just lovely this time of year?” Harry said sarcastically.

“What happened to MacMillan?” Demanded Robards.

“I don’t know.” Replied Harry, rolling his eyes. “I couldn’t sleep, came out to find him out on the couch and decided he needed the sleep. So went for a walk by myself.”

“Then why can’t we revive him.” Asked Robards through ground teeth. Harry ponded the question exaggeratedly before answering. “Hmmm I don’t know Robards, have you tried finding a more…accomplished wizard?”

Robards paled. “If I find out you did something to him, if I find out you hurt one of my aurors…”

Harry snorted. “You’ll do what? Confine me to my house? Press charges? If I want to leave, Robards, not you nor any of your little thugs, nor anyone at the ministry will stop me. I’ve been content to let you imagine you have some semblance of control Robards. But Do. Not. Push It. I’ve seen what you ministry morons due with a bit of control.” He snarled, venom in his words.

“This is all for your own protection! We told you that you needed to move after the wards were breached last time but you refuse. This is the cost of your refusal.” Robards shouted back.

“Protection?” Harry scoffed. “This has never been about protection.”

Harry turned his back on Robards and began striding towards to the house, avoiding Ginny who was trying to catch his eye. Inside, there was a flash of light and then a dazed looking MacMillan was shoved out the front door.

Ginny could barely keep up with what had happened. Her relief at seeing Harry okay had quickly been overcome by her confusion about Robards reaction and hostility. And what had happened? Harry had rather easily dodged the questioning, but he hadn’t even denied doing something to MacMillan. Harry had also threatened Robards and the other aurors, implied some nefarious purpose for Ginny’s own presence and made it clear he did not trust or support the ministry. It was a side of Harry that she had never seen, and it unnerved her.

Ginny didn’t believe that Harry would ever hurt an innocent person. But then what had happened, and why wouldn’t Harry tell them? And why did Robards assume immediately that Harry had done something to Ernie? Ginny felt as if she was trying to finish a puzzle without all the pieces, and it was only making her more confused.

Robards stopped next to her, breathing deeply. “Go home, Weasley. Get some sleep. Tomorrow you’ll be taking over the night shift from MacMillan. Maybe you can keep a better eye on Potter. Marzoc!” Robards called out to another auror. “Have you seen Mills, I need to talk to her.”

Ginny nodded, not confident in her ability to speak, and departed with none of her questions answered.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Late the evening, hundreds of miles away in London, just outside the entrance to the ministry, a cloaked figure stepped into a small side alley. They reached into a bag and withdrew a small silver mirror. They tapped it softly with their wand and whispered “Sirius Black.”

The mirror changed and inside of showing the hood that covered their face, another image appeared. A woman, heavily lidded, with a pale, unhealthy look, as if she had not seen the sun or sleep for a long period of time.

“I trust you have good news?” Asked Bellatrix

“Yes” Responded the figure “I had another reason to visit his house tonight. I was able to rig the wards. Hit the right stone and the whole thing comes down. I’ve marked the stone with an engraving of the dark mark, but you’ll need a spell to reveal it. Lumos Mavros. But you only get one shot. As soon as the wards go down, they will know, and they will know it was me when they look at the magical signatures.”

“Good. Then watch him. Keep us informed. Tell us the right time and I will make sure that Potter gets the end he so richly deserves.” Purred Bellatrix.

“I will. Just make sure it actually happens this time.” The figure ended the conversation with another tap of the wand and walked out of the alleyway, almost getting knocked to the ground by a man coming from the opposite direction.

The man staggered for a moment before catching his balance and turning to see who he had run into. “Ah Marzoc” he called out “glad I caught you. I had a quick question.”

Marzoc swept back her hood, glancing to make sure the mirror had stayed in her pocket.
“Sure Robards, what can I do?”
“Were you able to check all the wards before we left Potter’s house tonight? I didn’t have the time.”
“Oh, yes, don’t worry.” Replied Marzoc with a smile. “They are all set up perfectly.”

Back to index


Chapter 8: Chapter 8

Ginny glanced down at her watch. It was 5 past noon, which meant that Hermione was late. An unthinkable thing in their Hogwarts years, but her work had taken precedence over everything as of late, including basic punctuality. The arbitrary change in shift had meant Ginny hadn’t had to go see Harry, something for which she was grateful, and had decided to take some time to catch up with her soon to be sister-in-law. Or, at least, who Ginny hoped would be her soon to be sister-in-law.

Ron had definitely been happier lately. A fact that Ginny both appreciated and refused to examine further. Anything that made Ron that happy was something Ginny really didn’t want to know the details of.

Ginny jumped as a large bag thumped onto the table in front of her. Hermione, looked as frazzled as ever, dropped into the seat across from her and threw her head back with a groan.

“Sounds like you are having a wonderful day.” Remarked Ginny. Hermione raised her head enough to glare at Ginny through squinted eyes.

“Do you have any idea how frustrating it is trying to convince people who have all the power to give up some of their power?” Hermione hissed in response. “The arrogance, the conceit, of some of the seat holders in the Wizengamot is astounding! All we want is some additional legal protections for non-human magical creatures, and you’d think we were threatening to dismantle the whole of the wizarding world!”

Ginny sat and listened, nodding sympathetically at strategic points as Hermione vented. Ginny knew Hermione well enough by now to know that any attempt at conversation was futile.

Hermione paused to order some food and then continued unabated until their food arrived. Hermione stopped, breathing heavily as their waiter hurriedly dropped their food down and then scurried away, apparently afraid Hermione would target him next.

“Ughhh, I’m sorry, Ginny, I didn’t mean to dump that all on you. It’s just so frustrating and exhausting sometimes. Poor Ron really gets the brunt of it, though. Where I would be without that man…” Hermione finished with a shake of her head.

“Ron is a good listener?” Ginny asked, only partially feigning shock.

“Well..no, not especially.” Conceded Hermione. “But honestly, that’s part of the appeal. I can vent to him and say whatever I want and it just kind of..rolls off him. Plus, he’s great at helping me destress.”

“Hermione, I never want you to repeat that, and I am going to pretend you never said it.” Ginny intoned hollowly.

“Oh, not like that!” Hermione responded, waving her hand. “Okay, sometimes like that, but mostly not like that.”

Ginny covered her ears “ew ew ew ew ew”

“Oh, do grow up, Ginny, we’re all adults here. Besides, I hear you might have some man trouble yourself!” Hermione stated with raised eyebrows. Ginny felt herself settle back into the melancholy cloud that had followed her since the night before.

“That bad?” Asked Hermione sympathetically. “Is he not interested?”

Ginny flared up immediately. “What do you mean is he not interested?? Why wouldn’t he be interested in me??”

Hermione raised her hands in a placating manner, but Ginny continued. “Look, first of all, I don’t even know how you know that, but I only told two people, and they are both going to suffer shortly for it. Second, it’s complicated, alright. Third, I’m pretty sure he’s interested. Or at least…I think he is.” Ginny trailed off, suddenly questioning if she had misread the entire situation. And a bit hopeful she had. It would make things much simpler.

“Indeed. Well, then, to answer your unstated question, Luna mentioned something to me the other day. Also, I’m aware it is a bit complicated. Luna again said that it was someone you are assigned to protect. Finally, if he is around you every day and uninterested then he must be blind and or gay.” Hermione rattled off.

Ginny stared for a second. “Why were you talking to Luna?”

Hermione rolled her eyes. “Really, of everything that I just said, that is what you latch onto? Yes, alright, I work with Luna occasionally. She has a unique perspective on the desires and needs of some of the non-human magical communities. And her insights are…uncanny.” Hermione shook her head before continuing. “But as far as it being complicated, you should know that it is not as complicated as you think. I’ve seen the auror case files. The whole bodyguard/assignment thing is… well, it is not, shall we say, uncommon. The department may make it sound like a big deal, but Merlin, I can’t even count the number of files I’ve found that casually mention some form of ‘involvement’. Who are you assigned to, anyway?”

Ginny stared, trying to take in the information that Hermione had just shared. And taken aback at how casually Hermione had discussed the apparent rule breaking. She didn’t look even remotely scandalized. Ginny commented as much. “Look, I’ve come to realize that there is an unassailable gap between rules that exist and rules that are enforced. Only rules that can and are enforced, count. Everything else is nothing but an idealized daydream. Now, are you going to tell me who you are assigned to?”

“I can’t,” Ginny sighed. “That is one of those rules that they do care about. And this is a big one. They’d have my head if I told you.”

“At least tell me he’s around your age. If you’ve fallen for one of the wizards on the wizengamot….” Hermione finished, eying Ginny threateningly.

“No, no,” Ginny chuckled. “He’s only a bit older than me. Maybe a year. But…”

“But what?” Prompted Hermione.

“Well, it’s just that he’s powerful. Magically. And he doesn’t trust the ministry. I’m just starting to realize that the version of him that I know may not be the real version of him.”

Hermione listened with widening eyes. She leaned forward. “You’re protecting Harry Potter??” Despite her whisper, Hermione managed to convey her shock quite effectively. Ginny sat up straight, slapping her hand over Hermione’s mouth and looking around to make sure no one overheard. “SHHHHH, do not say that again. We’ve had a hard enough time keeping him safe as it is, alright?” Ginny replied urgently. Hermione nodded and Ginny lowered her hand. “How did you figure it out?” Ginny asked resignedly.

“Oh, um, it was quite simple, really. You mentioned that it was someone that was magically powerful, important, but apparently not political, and someone who had not had good experiences with the ministry. Also that they were only a year older than you. There aren’t that many young, magically powerful ministry dissidents that would also merit ministry protection. Could only be one answer really,” Hermione finished.

Ginny shook her head. “You should be an interrogator, Hermione. Merlin, this is embarrassing.” Hermione sat and waited.
“Oh, fine!” Ginny snapped. “Okay, yes, it is…him. And yes, he is gorgeous, and I can’t stop thinking about him. But he’s dangerous. Apparently. I don’t even know what he’s capable of.”

Hermione didn’t squeal the way Ginny had expected. In fact, Hermione looked downright scared. “You should know, Ginny. You should know what he is capable of. I know you were at the last battle. I was too. But you weren’t there for the final confrontation between him and…you know who. Come on, I want to show you something.”

They paid for their food and set off, heading back to Hermione’s apartment. Ginny sat at her small kitchen table as Hermione pulled out a pensieve from a magically hidden compartment.

“I didn’t realize that you had a pensieve, Hermione!” Looking up at the older girl, surprised. Hermione nodded grimly. “I got it after that final battle. We had to testify as to what we saw. I found it easier to just show them. And it makes my own memory less…prominent. I don’t have as many nightmares at least.” Ginny’s nerves jumped at Hermione’s words. “Is it…is it that bad?” Hermione looked straight at Ginny. “Yes.” Then she grabbed Ginny, and together they landed in Hermione’s memory.
To say that it was chaotic would have been an understatement. Bodies and spells flew, and the cacophony of voices, screaming spells, or just screaming, nearly overwhelmed Ginny. She took a deep breathe, closing her eyes and focusing on the real Hermione, who had landed next to her. When she opened her eyes again, she could begin to make some sense of the battle.

They had landed in the middle of a shallow basin, with cloaked and masked death eaters attacking from one side, and a hodgepodge of different uniforms and groups making up the other. Ginny could make out DLME officers, auror robes, Hogwarts patches and then just a lot of people. Ginny instinctively ducked as a spell flew past her head. She turned to track it and watched as it found its mark on a non-death eater, driving her into the ground. She did not get back up.
Ginny turned back to find Hermione. She had her eyes closed, breathing quickly and shallowly. Ginny reached out and touched her shoulder, and Hermione flinched. “Sorry. Don’t like being back here is all.”

Ginny nodded, seeing memory Hermione fighting back to back with Ron just a few yards away. Ron was bleeding from numerous wounds, and even as she watched Ron narrowly avoided two separate killing curses. Memory Hermione saw it too, and with a cry sent a blasting curse at the wizard who had almost killed Ron, leaving nothing but a smoldering crater where the wizard had once stood. Hermione, the real Hermione, tensed beside her. “What I wanted you to see, it’s coming.”

From across the battlefield, Ginny heard a scream. A scream that seemed to cut through the noise all around her. It was unlike anything Ginny had ever heard before and it broke her heart, there was so much hurt in it. But there was also a promise of pain, a promise of retribution that nearly drove Ginny to flee. The rest of the combatants seemed to feel the same way and most seemed to slow and turn towards the direction of the scream. And from that direction came destruction. Ginny watched in amazement as spells began flying out faster than she had imagined possible, each spell landing with concussive force, blasting apart trees and dirt and bodies. Voldemort’s fighters began to flock toward the new attacking force, but Ginny was forced to remain near memory Hermione, who was exhaustedly clutching Ron.

But Ginny didn’t have to move. The battle shifted closer and closer to her. Bodies that had been blasted out of the way began landing next to her. And then it was upon them. Ginny had expected an elite force, a group designed to protect Harry and get him close to Voldemort. Instead, it was just Harry. But it was Harry as she had never seen him. His face was hard, frozen in a snarl that made him nearly unrecognizable. He rolled under a spell, casting a spell in return without stopping. His roll brought him close to another death eater, and Harry stepped close, forcing his wand arm away and causing his killing curse to hit another death eater who had been trying to flank. Harry then shoved his wand under the head of the death eater whose arm he held and barked a spell that caused most of said death eater’s head to disappear in a fountain of gore. Much of it landed on Harry.

Harry dropped the body and turned toward another bunched group and quickly cast another spell that encircled them in a wall of flame. Ginny watched and heard as they burned. It was not a quick death. It was at that point that death eaters began to flee. Harry didn’t stop. Any that stood against him were cast down and cast aside without mercy. Those that fled at least got to keep their lives.

And then He was there. Voldemort himself. Harry dispatched his final opponent and turned to face Voldemort, eyes wild, still covered in the blood of those he had killed. Ginny tensed, knowing that the final duel had been, by all accounts, terrifyingly powerful. Instead, Harry approached Voldemort slowly, wand at his side.

They spoke to each other. Ginny, frustrated that they were too far away to hear, turned to look at Hermione, who was sitting on the ground, arms around her knees. Ginny turned back to the conflict, unwilling to make Hermione suffer more than she already had.

The conversation continued, until suddenly Voldemort’s wand jumped up to land on Harry. Harry didn’t move. Then he dropped his wand. Ginny’s heart stopped as Voldemort’s mouth curved into a cruel smile. Even across the field, Ginny heard Voldemort’s cry of “AVADA KEDAVRA!” Ginny suppressed a scream and fell to her knees as the green spell hit Harry in the chest. Harry slowly crumpled into the muddy ground. Ginny’s heart stopped. She whirled on Hermione. “What is this?” Ginny yelled hysterically. “This isn’t real! Why are you showing me this!!?”

Hermione, still on the ground, just shook her head. “Just watch.” She whispered back. Ginny spun back, confused and furious. Then, to her amazement, Harry moved. He slowly levered himself off the ground, coming back into a standing position. Ginny watched, mouth agape, as Voldemort also got back to his feet. Ginny had been so focused on Harry, she hadn’t even noticed that Voldemort had collapsed as well.

In the silence that followed, even across the field, Ginny could hear Harry say quietly, “You shouldn’t have done that.” Voldemort screamed and then the duel began in earnest. Spells flew back and forth, but Harry seemed to have regained his control. He fought, clear eyed and calm, as Voldemort actions became more and more desperate. Voldemort stopped, apparently exhausted and confused. Harry faced him, and again more words were exchanged. Then both wands leapt up. There was a flash of light so bright that Ginny had to look away, and then it was over. Voldemort lay dead on the ground, and Harry collapsed to one knee, head in hands.

Suddenly Ginny was back in Hermione’s apartment, sitting at the table with her. “Are you alright, Ginny?” Asked Hermione softly. Ginny made to respond, then jumped up and sprinted to the bathroom, immediately vomiting into the toilet. Hermione waited patiently at the table, and Ginny slowly made her way back.

“Why did you show me…that?” Asked Ginny shakily.

“Because…because you need to know,” Hermione responded, and Ginny could tell she was close to tears. “Harry Potter is probably the most dangerous wizard alive and certainly the most powerful. He’s dangerous, Ginny, and a killer. And,” Hermione continued delicately, “he apparently cannot be killed.”
“Ginny. Potter is not a good person. If he decides to hurt you, or anyone else, in all likelihood, nobody could challenge him. He is-“

“You don’t know him.” Interrupted Ginny. “He isn’t some unfeeling monster, Hermione. He’s just a man. And I don’t think you should judge. I say what you did in that memory too, you know.”

Hermione paled. “I know what I did, Ginny, it doesn’t change the fact that he’s dangerous, and your feelings put you in danger. You need to get out.” Hermione implored.

Ginny stood. “You just don’t understand Hermione.” But the response sounded weak, even to her.

Leaving the apartment, nothing was clear, and Ginny struggled to harmonize what she knew of Harry and what she had just learned.

Ginny knew she needed to figure it out, and soon. After all, she had to see him in less than eight hours.

Back to index


Chapter 9: Chapter 9

Chapter 9
The taste in Ginny’s mouth wouldn’t go away. Figuratively. Though the literal taste of shepherd’s pie coming back up was…unpleasant. It would be a while before she had mash again. But more pressing was the litany of scenes that kept running through her mind; the killing of the death eaters, Voldemort’s death, Hermoine and Ron almost dying. They all kept playing on repeat. But…Harry’s ‘death’. It dominated. And it made her stomach drop every time. A more focused memory caused her hands to shake. Ginny arrived home, laying on her bed and rubbing her forehead to try to clear her head. Ginny hesitated, then reached over to her end table and pulled a sleeping potion out of the drawer. Ginny considered it. She knew she needed to rest. It would be a long 12 hours otherwise. And on the off chance that she could sleep, she knew that her dreams would heavily feature the images from Hermoine’s mind.

Ginny closed here eyes, yanked the top of the potion off and downed it in one swift motion, laying back and breathing out as she let the potion run its course.

It was dark when Ginny clawed her way out of the dreamless sleep. Ginny grasped at her clock, glad to see she still had a bit over an hour before she had to see Harry. Staggering over to her bathroom, Ginny splashed some water on her face hoping to would dispel some of her fogginess. Maybe even shed some light on what she was supposed to do.

Harry was dangerous. He was a killer. Ginny had known that before. But seeing it happen had made impacted her in a way that she had not foreseen. And had he attacked Ernie? What else could have happened? Harry certainly seemed to harbor some ill will towards the ministry. But the press, and by extension the ministry, had spent years trying to destroy his credibility and invading his privacy. Was his enmity deserved? Were Harry’s actions during the war the actions of a cold-blooded killer, or a man doing his best to protect what remained of his family? Ginny’s intuition said the latter, but how well did she really know him?

These thoughts so engrossed Ginny that it came as a surprise to her when she looked up and saw the entrance to the ministry. A moment of panic overcame her. She wasn’t ready to see him. And she had forgotten to brush her teeth, so she was sure her breath smelled like death. Not that she planned on kissing him. Just as an example of things she definitely would not be doing with Harry, so having bad breath would obviously not matter. Obviously.
Ginny squared her shoulders and shook her head, driving out the strangely intrusive thoughts. Fear had never stopped her before. It wouldn’t today.

Waiting had always been difficult for Ginny, and as she stood, waiting for her portkey to activate, her apprehension almost overwhelmed her. But then the sensation of a hook behind her navel took hold and when the whirl of color and sound stopped, Ginny found that she was alone.

Seeing the light that was on in the house, Ginny quickly set off, alarms already ringing in her head. Why would they not be waiting at the change point. Ginny burst through the front door, fearing the worst. Instead, she found Ernie and Harry apparently deep in conversation at the small kitchen table. Harry had his hand on Ernie’s shoulder and Ernie with his head in his hands. Ernie looked up, eyes slightly red, and gaped in surprise. Looking quickly at the clock over the fireplace, he gasped. “Oh Merlin! Lost track of time!” Ginny quickly fished the return portkey out of her robe and tossed it to Ernie, who caught it as it began to turn blue. Ernie disappeared and silence enveloped the room.

Ginny stood awkwardly, unsure of what to do. She glanced at Harry, feeling his eyes on her, and then quickly looked away. Ginny had never felt so uncomfortable. Even when they had first started working the pitch it hadn’t been this bad. At least at the pitch there had been some space to get away from each other.

Harry shifted awkwardly on the balls of his feet before gesturing half heartedly at the couch. “Um, make yourself at home?” It came out as a question and Ginny, unsure what to do, looked back at him before sitting, mouth suddenly dry. Harry nodded silently, as if reassuring himself, before sitting at the chair in the corner, as far as possible from Ginny in the small house. The tension was palpable. It set Ginny’s teeth on edge. Harry seemed to be reading a book. Ginny pretended to read her own. The silence stretched and frustration swelled within her. Harry actually seemed to be relaxed now, reading through his stupid book without even a second thought for her. The gale. It was unacceptable, unpalatable!

Before Ginny had even considered what she might say, words burst from her. “What happened yesterday, Harry?” Her voice came out harder than she intended and winced internally as she saw Harry’s face harden. He closed the book and looked up slowly. “Who is asking?” The question threw Ginny.

“Who is...I’m asking! I need to know, deserve to know!” Ginny retorted. She knew right away that she had made a mistake. Harry stood suddenly, his face granite. Ginny flinched back, hand flying towards her robe where her wand was stored. Harry saw and sorrowHarry noticed. Aorrow colored the anger on his face. “You deserve to know?” He asked, his voice soft, anger and hurt reverberating in every syllable. “You are my guard. A ministry official, here at their orders. What makes you think you deserve to know anything about me or about my life? You want to know what happened? It became clear to me just how tight my leash is!” Harry stormed into the bedroom slamming the door behind him.

Ginny sat for a moment, stunned, before she felt tears forming. It was suddenly clear to her how Harry must see her. A burden. An intrusion. A reminder of the ministry’s attempts at control. Ginny laid her head on the couch, trying to understand how she had been so stupid. Harry clearly didn’t feel anything for her. How she had concocted such an involved fantasy was beyond her, and she had never felt so stupid.

With deep, shuddering breaths, Ginny fought the tears that she refused to let fall, and unwilling to make any noise that might indicate to Harry how badly he had hurt her. Ginny sat, despondent, staring at the ceiling, wishing more than anything that she could just leave and never see Harry again. Instead, she would be trapped here with him for hours. And weeks. And months.


The hours passed and Harry’s door stayed closed. Ginny sat in the same spot, her dejection sapping her energy, occasionally half dozing. Around 3:00 AM the sound of the door opening snapped Ginny out of her shell and she sat up quickly. Ginny hadn’t lite any lights, but her eyes had long ago adjusted to the dark. She watched Harry stand, apparently waiting for his eyes to adjust, before cautiously feeling his way through the room. Ginny felt a spurt of vindictive joy when he smashed his toe on edge of the couch. She may have even snorted a bit.

Harry stopped. “Are you awake, Ginny?” he asked, voice nothing but a whisper. Ginny was more than tempted to stay quiet. But before all, she was an auror. “Yes, Potter, I’m awake.” Ginny answered, voice rough. Harry swallowed. “Do you…mind if I sit?” he ventured tentatively.

“It’s your house, Potter. You can do what you want.” Ginny answered, again enjoying seeing him squirm.
Harry dropped down heavily. “I’m sorry Ginny.” The apology was abrupt, but no less sincere for it. “I shouldn’t have said what I said. I’ll…I’ll answer whatever questions you have.”

Ginny bit back a biting remark, wanting to continue to punish him, but seeing his regret was sincere. Instead, She took a deep breath. “I’m sorry too Harry. I shouldn’t have asked like that. And…I’m sorry for how I…reacted.” They sat in the dark for a moment, Ginny at least grateful that the dark obscured her features.

“Are-are you scared of me?” Harry’s question cut Ginny to the core. She couldn’t respond and her silence seemed to be the answer that Harry was expecting. “I don’t blame you, you know. I understand.” Yet despite his statement, his words carried deep bitterness.

“I’m not scared, Harry. Not in the sense you think. I know you’re strong. I’ve always known. But my friend showed me her memory of the final battle. It wasn’t…It wasn’t what I expected. I know you wouldn’t hurt me. Or anyone that didn’t deserve it. But what happened with Ernie, and what the memory showed me…” Ginny shook her head. “Sometimes I feel like I know you, like I’ve always known you, but sometimes I feel like an idiot for thinking I understand you.”

Harry sat, still as a statue. “What did the memory show?” He eventually asked. Ginny shuddered. “There was a scream. Then you, kind of, appeared… and fought through the death eaters surrounding-surrounding Voldemort. You…you burned some of them alive. You fought him… Voldemort. You won”

In the darkness, all she saw was an unmoving silhouette. Harry seemed to have stopped breathing.

“That was probably the worst moment of my life. And believe me, that is saying something. I had just watched them…watched Tonks die. She, she was pregnant. Her and Remus had asked me to be godfather. She was my friend.” Harry’s voice was raw with pain, and anger. Ginny shivered as the air itself seemed to turn icy and tried to swallow past the painful lump that had formed in her throat. Every time Ginny thought she knew his story, some new piece of information about his life would humble her. “I lost control, Ginny. I won’t deny what you saw, nor will I claim to regret it. Those bastards deserved everything they got and more. And you should know that I’ve hurt…and killed…a lot of people. I don’t think anyone would call me a ‘good person’, but I never hurt anyone that wasn’t trying to hurt me or someone I cared about or someone innocent. Never.” Harry finished emphatically.

Ginny found that she believed him. The pain of his past had marked him in a way that gave his explanation undoubtable. But despite this, Ginny still had questions. “But what about Ernie?” Asked Ginny quietly.

Harry ran his hand through his hair. “I can’t tell you everything cause some of it is Ernie’s story, but I can say this. I didn’t hurt him. He’s been having some….struggles. And he may have gotten into some muggle prescriptions that I keep around for emergencies. Renervate doesn’t really work for that type of unconsciousness. And I was just taking a walk. It was the anniversary of my parent’s deaths, I just wanted a moment alone.” Harry finished emotionally.

“I’m sorry, Harry.” Ginny scooted closer to him on the couch. “I shouldn’t have assumed the worst. I think that between Robards and Hermoine, I just overthought everything.”

Harry shrugged, his movement nothing but shadows shifting in the dark. “It’s okay Ginny. Would you like to see my parents? I was looking at old photos of them earlier.”

Shame swelled within her. Harry had been looking at photos of his parents, the day after the anniversary of their deaths, and Ginny had decided to pick a fight with him. And yet he not only forgave her, but had apologized and continued to open up to her. How could Harry Potter be a real person?

“Yes,” She answered in a slightly choked voice. “I would love to see them.”

Harry stood, again pulling a small object from his pocket and clicking it to create a ball of light that hovered in the middle of the room, illuminating everything like a small sun. Ginny blinked at the sudden light, while Harry grabbed the book and returned to sit next to her. Ginny scooted to closer, til their shoulders were touching.

Harry seemed a bit startled, but smiled. “These are them.” Harry’s father looked just like him. Same messy hair, glasses, even the face and nose shape. Everything except the eyes. He had his mother’s eyes.

“You carry them with you.” Ginny said softly stroking Harry’s face. Harry stared at Ginny’s face, transfixed. Ginny suddenly became aware of what she was doing and quickly dropped her hand, embarrassed. “Um what’s this picture?” Asked Ginny quickly, hoping to change the subject. Harry blinked several times.

“Oh, uh” Harry looked down at the picture in question. It showed what looked like the back of Harry’s head. He was holding a small, stylized silver mirror. But the mirror wasn’t showing Harry’s reflection, instead it showed a pale man with long black hair. “That’s how Sirius and I communicated. My dad and him were best friends growing up. They made the mirrors so they wouldn’t have to use owls. This one” He tapped on the mirror in the photo “was my dad’s. He was also an animargus. A stag, that’s why it looks that way.” Ginny examined the picture more closely and could see elaborate antlers that seemed to surround the mirror. As Ginny watched, the face in the mirror seemed to say something and young Harry threw his head back and laughed. It was shocking to see how young he looked, only a few years ago.

Harry began to chuckle. Ginny looked at him in question. “Sirius had forgotten about those mirror’s. Found em when we stopped by his family home. But he couldn’t remember how they had made them, so he couldn’t change the names associated with them. I always teased him about growing dumber with age. He seemed strangely proud of outsmarting his older self.” This time Ginny chuckled with him.
“Do you still have them?” Ginny asked. “Hmmm, oh, no.” Harry shook his head. “I left them at his old house a few years back. Right before Sirius’ death. Could never go back to the house because there was a question of ownership. From what I hear Bellatrix Lestrange took it as her headquarters after Sirius’ death.” The thought clearly disturbed and angered him.

Seeing that they were straying into dangerous territory, Ginny jumped up. “You hungry?” Harry looked surprised but nodded. “Starving, actually.”
“Well I promised you I’d teach you how to cook, and no time like the present!” Ginny said with enthusiasm.

Harry looked at her like she was crazy. “Ginny, it’s nearly 4 am!” He protested weakly. Ginny fixed him with a stare. “I thought you were hungry?” Ginny stuck out her hand and Harry took it with a sigh. Ignoring the tingle that ran through her arm, she heaved him to his feet and together they went into the small kitchen.

“Alright” Ginny said rubbing her hands. “so what have we got here…”

“I don’t have much.” Responded Harry a bit sheepishly. “I haven’t had food delivered in a bit. I’ve only got a small roast and some vegetable that I was going to make a stew with.”

“hmmm, well how about a Sunday dinner? A roast, some vegetables, if you have some flour I can make some bread. That’s perfect” Said Ginny happily.

Harry nodded and pulled the meat from his small icebox. He immediately set it on the counter and began salting it. “What are you doing??” Ginny cried. Harry looked up in surprise. “Um, just getting it ready?” Ginny stalked over and yanked the salt from his hand. “If you salt it now it’ll draw all the moisture from the meat, and it’ll be tough and dry! You need to let it sit and get to room temperature and then salt it right before it goes in!”

“Ooookkkkaaay” Harry drew out, again apparently attempting to discern her sanity.

“Harry, Harry, Harry” said Ginny in a sing song voice. “You’ll just have to learn to trust me.” Harry laughed and nodded and together they set about preparing the rest of the dinner. Harry began working on some bread. Ginny, finished with the vegetables, turned in time to see flour fly into Harry’s face as he attempted to knead the dough.

Ginny laughed as Harry scowled at her. “Wow, Harry, that’s a good look on you!” Ginny wished she were kidding. Harry’s scowl deepened and he grabbed another handful of flour. Ginny stopped laughing. “Harry…don’t do it. Do you have any idea how long it takes to get flour out of long hair? Harry, NO” Ginny screeched and bolted as Harry lunged for her.

She made it nearly to the doorway but was done in by Harry’s longer frame, and his arms wrapped around her. He pinned her to him with one arm, and then grinning evilly, sprinkled flour all over Ginny’s head as she squirmed and yelled.

Harry ran out of flour and Ginny stopped and looked up at him. The atmosphere seemed to flip like a switch, and Harry’s arm wrapped even tighter around her. Her heart pounding, Ginny leaned into him, not taking her eyes off his. Harry paused, eyes burrowing into hers, before slowly lowering his head. Ginny could see the subtle shading of his eyes he was so close.
They both jumped when a loud bump sounded in the kitchen. The oven was ready. Ginny turned back, hoping that Harry would ignore it, but the moment was broken, and they quickly returned to finishing the meal, Ginny, at least, blushing furiously and not looking at Harry.

They sat with a cup of tea while the roast cooked, talking and laughing, and sharing glances that seemed to linger more than they should as the smell of the meal filled the home.

When it was finally finished, Harry cut them both a portion, before digging in himself. His eyes went wide as soon as he took the first bite. “Thish ish amazhing!” He said around a mouthful!

Ginny laughed and took a bite. “It’s not bad, but my mum makes a Sunday dinner that would put you into a coma! You should come try it sometime.”

“A bit early to be meeting the family, isn’t it?” Harry teased back. Ginny stopped, thinking hard. Tomorrow was actually Sunday, and suddenly the idea of not seeing Harry tomorrow seemed unthinkable. Something was happening, Ginny knew it and she didn’t want to lose it.

“Actually,” Ginny began carefully “Tomorrow, or technically today I guess, is Sunday. If you’d like, I know my mum would love to have another mouth to feed.” Ginny tried not to be sound too hopeful.

Harry slowed his chewing. “You would be there?” Ginny nodded. “….Yeah. Yeah I’d love to come.”

Ginny smiled and they went back to their food. It wasn’t until Ginny was on her way home that Ginny realized that she had just asked out Harry Potter. And to her parents house with the rest of her family.

The realization made her stomach dropped. Tomorrow, at the very least, would not be boring.

Back to index


Chapter 10: Chapter 10

Chapter 10
Ginny tossed and turned in her childhood bed. She knew she should be sleeping. It was her one night to actually sleep on a normal schedule, but sleep continued to elude her. Ginny turned to her side, facing the wall that had once held her Harpies poster, Gryffindor quidditch jerseys and, once upon a time, a kids book about Harry Potter. Ginny forced her eyes closed, willing herself to sleep. It had been an eventful evening that had gone poorly from the beginning and Ginny was ready to leave the day behind.

Ginny had just started to doze when she heard the door creak open behind her. Assuming it was her mum, coming to check on her, Ginny feigned sleep, not wanting to rehash the nights events. Ginny came fully awake when a body dropped into the bed behind her, an arm coming to rest around her midsection. An arm she recognized…

“Harry??” Ginny whispered in a panic. “What…what are you doing here??”

“Hmm well…I decided to hang around for a bit. Thought you might have gotten cold. Decided I might come help you…stay warm…”

Ginny lay, wide eyed, frozen in shock. She knew she should throw his arm off. Knew she should throw him out of the house and hex him for good measure. But then Harry’s hand slipped under the bottom of her blouse, and he began slowly dragging his fingertips across the skin of her stomach. Ginny gasped a bit, the sensation spurring feelings she’d not had in a long time. Ginny pressed harder back into Harry, realizing that he was shirtless and that she didn’t mind that at all.

Just as Ginny began to gather her wits, and the enormity of what was happening began to press upon her mind, Harry leaned forward, brushed her hair out of the way and began feathering kisses along the base of her neck. Ginny shivered, reaching back to grab his head and pushing him more firmly against her neck. He gave her a small nip that elicited a gasp. She could feel every part of him. She needed more.

Ginny rolled quickly, turning to face him, and Harry stroked the side of her face before leaning down to kiss her gently. Ginny grasped his sides, feeling the muscles that were taught under his skin, and pulled him into a real kiss. Harry was happy to oblige.

Ginny growled a bit as Harry pulled away, both breathing heavily after the kiss, but Harry smiled and bent down, kissing the underside of her jaw, before slowly kissing his way down her body. “Harry, my parents and…and my family…they’re here.” Ginny protested weakly as he undid the buttons on her blouse, kissing the skin that the undoing of each button exposed. Ginny also noticed a faint buzzing that seemed to be coming from no where.

“Hmm, yes they are. We’ll have to be quiet then, won’t we?” He paused to look up Ginny. “Are you saying you want me to stop?” He asked the question earnestly but smiled when Ginny hesitated and continued to kiss her body. “No” Ginny breathed out “Don’t…Don’t stop.”

Harry slowly pulled off her pajama bottoms, continuing to place kisses on every new inch of skin, and finally pulled them off and stood, admiring her. Ginny was suddenly grateful she was wearing a decent pair of underwear. “Merlin, you’re beautiful Ginny.” Harry said reverently, though Ginny had trouble hearing him, as the buzzing was suddenly much louder.

Harry slowly began to undo the ties the held up his pajama pants, not taking his eyes off Ginny. She saw his mouth move, but couldn’t make out the words, the buzzing had gotten so loud, but somehow Harry didn’t seem to notice it.

Still staring at her intently, Harry finished with the strings and-


Ginny sat up suddenly, alone, in her own bed, alarm clock blaring and the afternoon sun streaming through her windows.
Ginny fell back into her bed, pulling her pillow over her face, still breathing hard. Years had passed since she’d had THAT type of dream. But she was a healthy 21 year old woman. It was totally normal for her to have dreams, and the fact that she spent most of her time around Harry and, well, yes because she fancied him, explained why Harry had made an appearance. Ginny refused to examine why it had taken place in the Burrow. Still, as much as she was… attracted… to Harry, she hadn’t felt real desire since Dean. Between his death and the ongoing war, romance had taken a back seat. Or been shoved into the trunk and forgotten about. Unfortunately, those carefully contained feelings seemed to have gotten free.

Damn you Harry Potter.

Ginny rolled out of bed with a frustrated sigh. Frustrated in more ways than one. ‘I didn’t even get to see anything’ Ginny groused, getting ready. She had a few hours before Harry was to meet her at the Burrow and Ginny had errands to run, wanted to clean her apartment a bit, and it would be the first time that Harry would see her in anything other than auror robes. The thought made her stomach flutter.

It suddenly dawned on her that she hadn’t even asked her mum if it was okay that he came. To dinner. Ginny quickly started a fire before throwing some floo powder on it and shouting “The Burrow!”

Ginny’s head appeared at the burrow and Molly Weasley came into view, bustling around the kitchen, probably already getting ready for dinner. “Oh, hello, Ginny dear! You’re still coming over for supper tonight, aren’t you?” Molly asked, eyeing her daughter sternly. “Yes, mum.” Ginny responded with a roll of her eyes.

“Good! I might need help getting dessert ready, do you think you can come by early?” Asked Molly, already turning back to keep working. “Sure, mum, yeah. Listen, mum, is it alright if I, um, bring someone over for dinner tonight?” The words rushed out of Ginny before her mother could think of another chore to ask.

Molly paused in the action of dusting the mantle. “Of course dear, that would be lovely. Can I ask who it is?” Molly said delicately.

Ginny swallowed. She hadn’t planned this far ahead. She couldn’t tell her mother that it was her assignment, but if she just said ‘Harry Potter’ there would be a lot of awkward questions. Ginny ultimately decided on a vague half truth. “Just someone that I, uh, work with.” She responded, avoiding her mother’s eyes.

Molly was unconvinced.

“Hmmm. Okay Ginny, tell your ‘work acquaintance’ that dinner is at 5:30.” Ginny had never meet anyone that could put air quotes around her words without changing inflection as well as her mother. Ginny nodded and quickly ended the call, eager to escape without further interrogation.

The rest of the day seemed to sprint by with no consideration for Ginny or her anxiety for the coming dinner.
Ultimately Ginny decided on a simple blouse and muggle jeans, albeit her best (tightest) muggle jeans and a blouse that was a bit lower cut than she would normally wear. She also applied just a small amount of makeup but decided to leave her hair down. Dream Harry had seemed to like it that way.

When Ginny arrived at the house, dinner was mostly done and ready to go into the oven, but true to her word, the dessert still needed to be made. Ginny set about working, greeting her mother and then immediately working to avoid answering any questions, which flew thick and fast almost from the moment she stepped in the door. Well, from the moment Molly saw how Ginny was dressed.

“Mum” Ginny finally snapped “look, you’ll see who it is when he gets here, alright? Please, just please leave it alone.”
Molly considered for a second. “So it’s a boy, is it?” She finally responded. Ginny groaned internally, but Molly left it there and didn’t ask again. “Would you set the table dear? And Victoria is sick so no need to include a place for Bill or Fleur!”
The dessert ready and table set, Ginny finally went into the sitting room, ready to relax. But as the time crept closer, Ginny found herself more and more on edge. Her stomach clenched every time a sound was heard, but relaxed when she heard the door open. Harry would knock.

Fred and George weren’t helping. They had started on her as soon as they came in. Ginny ignored them, her anxiety already doing their work for them.

“You know George, old chap, do you know what Ickle ginnikins reminds me of right now?” Asked Fred conversationally.
“Hmmm a niffler about to go for some gold?” Offered George.

“Oh that is good, but no, I was actually thinking of Ron. Remember him from a few months back? The night that Hermoine came over?” Remarked Fred.

“Ahhhhh. I do believe you are right, old bean. Sooooo, Ginny, who’s the lucky guy?” Asked George “Or girl?” he added hastily seeing her glare. “Honest, Ginny, it’s fine, we won’t judge.”

“Though I might mock. Or maybe-

“Ask for tips?” Interrupted Ron, who had been sitting quietly by. Fred and George looked outraged. Then they seemed to consider the words.

“Say, Ginny-“Began George in an offhand manner. He was cut off when Ginny sprang from her seat. “Alright, I’m leaving before you can say anything that would require an obliviator.”

Ginny’s heart skipped and she nearly tripped when she heard a knock at the door, and she rushed over to throw it open.
Hermoine stood there, a bemused look on her face. “Not who you were expecting?” Asked Hermoine, seeing Ginny’s surprise.

“Um, no, I just didn’t realize that you were coming!” Ginny stepped forward to hug Hermoine, suddenly anxious about her reaction when Harry showed up. If Harry showed up.

Chuckling filled the room, and Ginny turned to see her brothers standing in the doorway.

“Shut. IT.” Ginny growled, pulling out her best glare and reaching for her wand. Ron, who stood at the front, quickly turned and began trying to push the rest of his brothers through the door. Fred, George and Percy just stood and laughed, keeping Ron in the line of fire.

Ginny took careful aim, when a soft voice came through the still open door.

“Am I, uh, interrupting something?”

The brothers froze, posed in the doorway, while Ginny turned slowly. Harry stood in the doorway, wearing jeans and a dark green button-down shirt. It brought out the color in his eyes. Ginny swallowed and quickly stepped forward, “Harry! Come in!” She gave him a quick hug and pulled him over the threshold into the house. She noticed the replacement auror that trailed behind him, but the figure simply stepped to the side and took a seat on the porch. He said nothing and gave no impression of intending to enter.

Her brothers were still frozen in the doorway. George suddenly took a step back and Ron feel to the floor with a crash. The sound seemed to bring them back to life.

“You’re Harry Potter!” Ron said from the floor.

“Oh, uh, I suppose I am. Though I assure you, its not by choice.” Harry replied.

The room stared. “That was joke.” Harry said into the silence with a grimace.

Percy suddenly stepped forward, offering his hand. “Mr. Potter! Its an honor to have you in our house. Before we begin, may I just offer my personal apologies. I was party to the writing of the stories about you that ultimately proved to be fictitious. It is something that I have deeply regrated since its occurrence and am grateful for the opportunity to offer my apologies in person.”

Harry took his hand and continued to shake it during the whole of Percy’s monologue, a perplexed look on his face.

“Oh, uh, that’s um-“

Harry was interrupted when Fred and George rushed forward, also thrusting their hands forward. “As I live and breath, Harry Potter, an honor sir an honor!”

They stepped back bowing deeply. “Sir, if I had a hat I would doff it!” Ginny, knowing that this was their version of joke and loving the alarmed expression on Harry’s face, burst out laughing. The rest of the room joined in, while Percy scowled.

The group dissolved into conversation until Hermoine stepped back into the room, followed closely by Molly and Arthur. Hermoine must have slipped out in the confusion, and she stood off to the side, not interacting with the group.
The other girl must have mentioned Harry, as Molly wasn’t surprised to see him.

She stood in front of him, looking up at the much taller young man. “Harry, are you a bad man?”

The kitchen quieted. Harry considered the question seriously. “I, I don’t think so. I try not to be.” He answered.

Molly continued to look at him. “Would you ever hurt my daughter? My family?” Molly asked, taking hold of Harry’s arm.

Harry’s eyes blazed at the question, but then he calmed. “Never.” The answer was emphatic.

Molly nodded, then flung her arms around him. “Then welcome to our home. And thank you. Thank you.” Molly seemed close to tears, and Harry wasn’t far behind. Arthur stepped forward and pried her arms off of Harry, who seemed not to know how to respond. “Welcome to our home, son. We’re glad to have you!” Said Arthur, smiling kindly. “Though” He added, directing his comments to Ginny. “it would have been nice to have some warning.” Ginny blushed.

Molly ushered them all to the table and everyone sat, eager to eat and grateful that the tension had eased. Ginny wasn’t sure what had happened between Hermoine and her mother, but she would be having a word with Hermoine sometime soon about it.

Ron, Hermoine, Ginny and Harry all ended up together and it wasn’t long before they had launched into a passionate discussion of quidditch.

“All I’m saying is that the Cannons are a good keeper and seeker away from really competing!” Ron said passionately. Ginny groaned. “Ron! The Cannon’s have competed, really competed, in years!” Ron opened his mouth to respond but Ginny cut him off.
“No Ron, the problem for the Cannon’s isn’t they’re players! Look at the players that go into the Cannons! They go in great players, and leave to become great players on other clubs. But they stink on the Cannon’s. It’s not that they can’t play, its that nobody wants to play for them!” Ginny finished. Ron scowled.

“What’s your take on this?” Ron asked, jerking his head toward Harry. Harry held up his hands. “Ummmm I’m with Ginny.” He said looking between them. “Coward.” Ron muttered turning to Hermoine for support.

Hermoine hadn’t taken her eyes off Harry. Harry noticed. “Is something wrong, Hermoine?” He asked quietly. Hermoine started, then nodded. She leaned forward and dropped her voice. “How could you do it? How could you hurt and kill so many people?” She whispered vehemently. Ginny stared, aghast, but Harry just nodded, apparently expecting such a question.

“Have you ever had someone you cared about threatened? Attacked? Killed?” He asked quietly. Hermoine hesitated, eyes sliding to Ron, before she nodded once. “Then you know the answer to your question. I have power, Hermoine, should I not have used it? Should I just let those people kill and maim and rape? I did what I had to do. And I hated it.”

Hermoine nodded quickly before gasping out. “I’m sorry Harry, I’ve, well, I’ve been rather uncharitable. But you’re nothing like I expected. I hope you can forgive me.”

Harry inclined his head. "I don't blame you. It's all water under the bridge." Hermoine gave him a slightly watery smile.

“You know” said Ron contemplatively “I reckon we would all have been friends at Hogwarts. What?” Ron asked indignantly as the others laughed. “I just think we would have, alright!”

The dinner continued and it warmed Ginny more than she would have thought possible to see Harry laughing and talking with her family. The idyllic scene was interrupted though, by George suddenly sprouting antlers and Fred grew a large horn where his nose had been.

George and Fred shouted with surprise, pointing at each other, before clasping their hands to their respective outgrowths. The table howled with laughter. George and Fred rounded on Harry, both shouting incomprehensibly. Harry, blushing furiously, grinned. “Sorry Fred, George, but I had heard too much about you. I just put a simple switching spell on my and Ginny’s cups, made anything that went into them go into your cups. Your hands floated over our drinks one time too many.” He explained with a shrug.

The rest of the family clapped Harry on the back. “So what was the joke?” Ron asked. Fred and George turned and looked at him. “Oh, come on. Every prank has some joke you make with it. Come on, then!” Ron said, rolling his eyes.
Fred and George replied something that sounded suspiciously like “Mutter mutter, horny, something something.” In low voices. Ginny and Harry blushed in unison and the rest of the table howled, with the exception of Molly, who seemed to be fighting to keep it in.

The rest of the dinner was uneventful and dessert was just being served when there was a knock on the door. Molly stood to answer it, a perplexed look on her face. At the door stood the auror that had accompanied Harry.

“Ma’am.” He said in a deep voice. “I must speak with your husband for a second.” Arthur stepped outside for a moment, before coming back inside.

“Harry, it seems that there has been some indication from the auror in charge of finding those who attacked you that your house may not be safe. Would you mind staying here tonight? Just to make sure nothing happens.” Arthur said seriously. Ginny almost fell out of her chair, her dream seeming more and more like a premonition. He turned to Ginny. “Ginny would you also stay here tonight? You can act as his bodyguard for the night.” Ginny swallowed, but nodded.

Harry looked surprised but nodded. “Honestly, Mr. Weasley, as long as Mrs. Weasley keeps making treacle tart, I may stay forever.” Molly smiled at the compliment. “Actually, Harry, Ginny made the dessert.” She said slyly.

Harry gave Ginny a smile that melted her. “Merlin, Ginny is there anything you can’t do?” Molly and Arthur shared knowing look. “Ugh, don’t encourage her mate.” Said Ron in disgust. “She’s cocky enough as is.”

Once the dessert was finished, everyone began making their excuses and within a couple of hours everyone actually left, leaving Harry and Ginny and Molly and Arthur. Ginny set off for her room, hoping to find some old pajamas, while Arthur went off to find something for Harry to sleep in. Ginny eventually found an old jumper, deciding that would be enough for the night. Ginny peaked her head out the door, and seeing nobody stepped out quickly, heading over to the bathroom. She got there right as Harry stepped out, nearly running into her. “OH, sorry…” Harry trailed off, seeing what Ginny was dressed in.
A thrill ran through Ginny seeing the effect that she had had on Harry and decided to see how far she could push it. “Oh, not a problem Harry” She said, reaching up to dust some pretend lint off of him, knowing it would cause her jumper to ride up. Harry’s rapid inhale told her that he noticed.

“Are you done with the bathroom?” She asked, keeping her hand on his arm. Harry seemed to have lost the power of speech, but nodded dumbly. “Good, I need to shower. Get so dirty during the day. Well, night Harry!” Ginny strolled towards the bathroom, hips swaying, knowing Harry was watching her. Ginny closed the door and started the shower, then listened carefully. She was gratified when it took at least 30 seconds for Harry to move away. A Cheshire grin on her face, Ginny got ready for bed, knowing that at least she wasn’t the only one that would be going to be frustrated.

That night Ginny laid in her bed, sleep a distant memory. Harry had been put up in Ron’s room, and she could hear him get ready for bed, her traitorous mind bringing intriguing and unwelcome images to mind.

Hours passed. Ginny lay awake, both not tired and too nervous to sleep, running through different scenarios in her mind. A creak cut through her thoughts. Ginny knew the sounds of her family’s footsteps. They had been the soundtrack that Ginny fell asleep to for most of her life. These steps were not by someone in her family. Ginny’s breath picked up as she realized that the steps were descending the stairs. The steps drew closer.

Each step seemed to reverberate in Ginny’s chest. They were right outside her door. They stopped. He was right outside.
Then the steps kept descending, passing her, and heading down to the kitchen. Ginny went limp in her bed. She knew it had just been a dream. Ginny should feel relieved. Should being the operative word.

Ginny sat up. Now that the moment had passed, Ginny was more curious than anything else, and slipping a robe on, set off down the stairs. She found Harry sitting on the couch, reading, of all things. “What are you doing?” Asked Ginny in a stage whisper. Harry jumped, nearly sending the book flying.

“Merlin, Ginny, you scared me half to death. How did you get down those stairs so quietly??” Asked Harry.
Ginny smirked. “I’ve got years of experience sneaking out of this house, Potter. You think I don’t know how to avoid a few squeaky stairs?” Harry smiled and Ginny moved to sit next to him. “What are you reading?” She asked curiously.

“Oh, well, the only book I could find in Ron’s room.” He answered, holding up the book so that the title Cannon’s through the Ages was visible. Ginny snorted. “Typical. So are you such a Cannon’s fan now that you felt the need to stay up and bone up on their history?”

Harry huffed in amusement. “No, not quite. I don’t really sleep much. Too many bad dreams. Bad memories. All that.” He said with a wave of his hand. Ginny nodded. She understood and Harry knew she understood. “What about you?” Harry asked with a glance at her. “Why aren’t you sleeping?”

‘Well I had a very hot dream about you and thought for a moment that it was about to come true.’ Is what Ginny thought. “The switch to the alternate schedule has made it hard to sleep.” Is what she said with a shrug. Harry nodded his understanding and leaned back on the couch. Ginny leaned next to him and let his weight pull her into him. They sat for a long while, enjoying the contact.

Ginny wasn’t sure how much time had passed, but she had started to doze at some point. “You awake Gin?” Harry asked softly. Being mostly asleep, Ginny decided to stay quiet. “Merlin, I hope you’re real Gin. I hope that what I see in you is the truth. I don’t think I can take it if I’m wrong.” Ginny, only half hearing him, gave up trying to decipher what he was saying.
Ginny complained softy as she felt Harry move next to her. Then he felt his arms under her as he softly lifted her and turned to walk towards the stairs. Ginny figured the new position was okay, and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer.

It seemed only a moment later that he was settling her into his bed. She was loath to let go of him, but he gently pried her arms off and tucked her under the covers. Ginny snuggled into the bed. She felt Harry lean close and kiss her gently on the check. “Night Gin.”

A glow of happiness from deep inside seemed to fill Ginny and she closed her eyes. Though things hadn’t played out the way she had dreamed, the gentle kiss, that a brief moment of intimacy, would be enough.

For now, at least.

Back to index


Chapter 11: Chapter 11

Chapter 11
Ginny slowed suddenly, faking a shot before darting to her left, drawing Harry out of position and letting her get more power into her shot. Harry dove back, trying to get back into line, but he had bitten hard on the fake. The shot sailed past, Harry not even getting close the quaffle that was curling away from him. The quaffle went through the far-left hoop easily and Ginny let out a whoop of triumph.

“HA!” Ginny shouted out. “That’s what? 80-20?”

Harry harumphed grumpily. “Technically, 80-30. Just because you were distracted doesn’t mean my goal didn’t count.” Ginny pulled up, offended. “Distracted?? I was performing my duties as an auror!” She yelled back.

“All I know is that you weren’t guarding the rings.” Harry replied loftily.
Ginny murmured angrily, giving him the evil eye. “Besides” Harry continued “who won more of the seeker battles?”

“You have the better broom!” Ginny burst out. “How can I compete when your broom hits its top speed in half the time mine does!”

“Excuses, excuses” Came Harry’s sing song voice as he drifted back towards the ground. Ginny momentarily struggled with the urge to drop something on him. She took comfort in the fact that she had absolutely destroyed him in the keeper-chaser competition. Harry was a decent chaser, but fairly hopeless as a keeper. His two ‘saves’ has actually been misses on Ginny’s part, a fact that still irritated her to no end.

Ginny swooped down to land next to Harry. The days that had passed since their night at the Burrow had been wonderful for the most part. Ginny felt closer to Harry than she ever had, but he continued to pull back for some reason. They would get close, and Ginny could literally feel the electricity between them, but then Harry would disengage, disappear into himself. He was honestly driving her crazy, wondering if he felt the same or if it was all in her head. She found herself overanalyzing every interaction.

But those nerves and worries seemed to fade whenever they could sit and talk. Being close to Harry was…right. That was a close as Ginny could get to describing it. It felt right to be close to him, to be held by him. Harry felt it too, she was sure. Or at least she hoped.

The unseasonably warm night had led to them using their quidditch pitch for the first time. It had been easy to set up the goals, and Harry’s handy little light carrier had easily given enough light to play by. Ginny couldn’t remember the last time she had as much fun. Her and her brothers hadn’t played quidditch in ages. Life gets busy, it seemed.
They shouldered their brooms, continuing to argue about the actual outcomes of their matches, as well as the relative value of the chaser and seeker positions. A foregone conclusion, in Ginny’s opinion.

It was dark as they walked through the forest, arguing good-naturedly, and the temperature dropped quickly as the night wore on. As they neared the house, Ginny’s hands and toes were starting to go a bit numb, despite their warming charms, and Ginny was eager to get into the warm house. As she stepped onto a log, she cold deadened foot slipped out from under her, sending her crashing into Harry, who had been following closely behind her.

Harry wrapped his arms around her, preventing her from tumbling onto the rocks below, but also prevented him from breaking his own fall. They tumbled down and Ginny lost track of the world and she rolled down the small ridge they had been walking along, Harry still wrapped around her. Then, with a shout, Harry was gone. Ginny rolled to stop, head spinning and aching. Rising to her feet and trying to get her bearings, Ginny began searching for her wand. “Harry?” She called out, feeling along the ground. A small groan was all she got in response.

Concerned now, Ginny searched more frantically, finding stumbling on a few feet away from where she fell. “Lumos” She said urgently, and directed the light towards the hill. The small cone of light from her wand revealed Harry laying on his back, most of the way down the hill. Ginny hurried over to him, concerned about his lack of movement.

“Harry, are you okay? Harry!”

Harry slowly opened one eye. “I think… I think my leg….” He croaked out. Ginny quickly shifted down to examine his leg and found that his foot had gotten caught between two rocks and the force of their fall had wrenched his leg into an unnatural angle.

Working quickly and ignoring the sudden fear in her belly, Ginny cur away his pants around the extra joint. In the dim light Ginny hadn’t noticed, but his pants had been soaked in blood. Ginny grabbed her wand again and directed it at his leg, and almost fainted. The break had forced the bone through his skin midway up his calf.

Ginny swallowed her rising panic. “Harry, your leg is broken, I can heal it, but I need to get your leg straight first. This is going to hurt.” She warned. Harry just nodded, sweat beading on his forehead despite the cold night.

Ginny slowly raised his foot out between the rocks, eliciting a gasp from Harry. Once free, Harry’s leg almost flopped back on its own, forcing Ginny to catch it. Harry was still silent, aside from a deep inhale that he held for a 10 count before letting it out.

Ginny held the leg straight and took a breath, forcing herself to focus on the outcome of the spell. Losing focus at the wrong time could cause some pretty horrible things to happen, and she really didn’t want to banish all the bones in his leg by mistake.

Ginny cast the spell and watched as the bone slid back into Harry’s leg, leaving behind a small cut. His leg straightened out on his own, and Harry breathed a sigh of relief and sagged onto the forest floor.

Reaching out a hand, Ginny helped him to his feet. Harry staggered against her, limping heavily.

“Thanks Ginny” Harry muttered, obviously exhausted. Ginny just nodded, not trusting her voice. “Stay here Harry, I’m going to grab my broom.” She finally got out. Ginny hustled up the hill, then returned, helping Harry onto the broom, before sitting behind him and hugging him tight.

They got to the house and Ginny helped him limp into the room. He hadn’t said a word after his initial thank you. Something was off, and Ginny’s anxiety over his wellbeing was skyrocketing. Ginny laid him down on the bed and hovered, unsure whether to stay or go.

“Ginny?” Harry asked from the bed, eyes closed. Ginny stepped forward. “Yes, Harry?”

“I need to ask you something. I need you…I need you to answer me truthfully.” He said in a pained voice.

Ginny paused, surprised at the hurt in his voice, but nodded. “Of course, Harry!”

“Did…was that on purpose?” Harry asked in a small voice. Ginny blinked several times, confused by the question. “OF course not! Why would I do that?” Ginny answered, affronted, hurt that Harry would think that of her. She wasn’t some damsel in distress, throwing herself into his arms. If that’s what he thought…

Ginny quickly turned and stomped towards the door. “Wait…” Harry’s voice pulled her up short, her hand on the doorknob. “Would you stay with me?”

All of Ginny’s prior anger was washed away in the wave of guilt that followed Harry’s question. Ginny dropped her hand from the doorknob, and sat on the bed next to Harry. He reached out and placed his hand on top of hers, before seeming to slip immediately into sleep. Ginny didn’t move, confused by Harry’s actions, but not willing to leave his side, especially when he was in pain and needing her.

Ginny came awake suddenly, movement in the bed drawing her attention. Harry was thrashing in his sleep, mumbling and sweating. Ginny reached forward to touch his should, but a sudden yell from Harry caused her to jump and flinch back. His screaming continued and suddenly took form. “NO, stop, please, GINNY. No no no no.why Ginny.” Harry’s thrashing grew more violent and Ginny jumped out of the bed, grabbing her wand off the bedside table.

“Auguamenti!” Yelled Ginny, and a stronger stream of water than she had intended blasted Harry out of the bed and onto the floor. Ginny rushed to his side, finding him breathing heavily, face down on the floor. Ginny crouched next to him, placing her hand on his shoulder, nervous that he would begin thrashing again. Harry looked up at her, eyes wide, unseeing. Slowly, understanding returned to him, and he reached out to touch her. “You’re here.” He murmured, voice rough.

Ginny reached down to grasp his hand and pulled him up to sit on the edge of the bed. Harry leaned into her, still breathing heavily, then pulled back, looking down at Ginny, intensity written into his features. She froze, eyes wide, as he slowly lowered his head, drawing closer to her. He paused, uncertainty flashing across his face, his lips only a hair away from her own. They sat like that for a moment before Ginny closed the distance between them and pressed her lips to his.

The feeling was impossible to describe. It was as if there had been an ache, a pain, that Ginny had had for so long that she had become accustomed to it. And then it was gone. Ginny wrapped her arms around him, and the kiss deepened. Ginny felt herself getting lost, focused on the sensation of his lips on hers, his hands on her, his body on hers.

It was a shock when Harry suddenly drew away. It was so sudden that it took a moment for Ginny to realize what had happened. She opened her eyes to see Harry standing, facing away from her.

“Harry?” Ginny asked delicately “Are you okay? I’m sorry was that too fast?”

Harry shook his head and began to pace. “I…I can’t do this…” He responded in a broken voice.

“What do you mean? Seems like we were already doing it.” Ginny said, trying to lighten the situation. Harry kept shaking his head. “I can’t do this….because…because…you aren’t real.” He finished in a whisper.

Ginny, truly mystified, felt anger start to stir. “Not real? What are you talking about? I’m right here.” Ginny wanted to get up and get closer to him, but worried that any sudden movement might send him running.

“I’m not sure…I can trust you.” Harry said quietly, still refusing to look at her. Ginny, fully angry now, had to resist the urge to shout. “When have I ever given you reason not to trust me Harry? What could have I done to make you think I’ve ever been anything but honest?” Ginny hissed back.

A long silence filled the room. Ginny refused to speak, wanting an answer to her question. Harry seemed lost in thought.
“Everybody…everybody I’ve ever cared about has used me, lied to me, or left me. Trust…isn’t something I’m inclined to give.” Harry said.

Ginny shook her head. “That isn’t true, Harry. You’ve told me of your family, Sirius, Dumbledor, these people-“
“Lied to me, used me and left me.” Interrupted Harry angrily.

“I’ve seen your picture, Harry, I know Sirius cared about you, Dumbledor cared-“ Ginny tried to reason.

“Do not. Talk to me. About Dumbledor. He cared” he drew the word out, stressing it “about the greater good.” With a sudden motion Harry whipped his shirt off, and grabbing his wand, waved it over his chest. A large, red, angry scar began to appear. It ran across the length of his chest, angular and jagged. Ginny’s hand flew to her mouth.

“Dumbledor raised me to die. Sent me in to die. And I did die, only it didn’t take. I was never supposed to survive. And they knew. My whole life , they knew and never told me. Dumbledor, Snape….Sirius… they used me. Manipulated me my whole life.” He paused, breathing deeply, close to losing control.

“And then you show up. A ministry agent. Young, beautiful, the daughter of a high ranking ministry official. Energetic, empathetic, fun. Your whole presence here has been a manipulation, another attempt to control me. Whether you know it or not. And, by merlin if this has all been a lie…” Harry shook with anger at the thought.

Ginny swallowed heavily. The insight into Harry’s life, the fact that he had been hit by a killing curse, had caused her brain to lock up. Casting around for a response. “Harry… I would never, have never lied to you. I’m, I’m not here to…to use you, I’m here to protect you!” Ginny protested quietly.

A laugh escaped Harry, humorless, harsh. “Protect me? Ginny, if you believe that, you are more naïve than I thought. Tell me, Ginny, did Dumbledor get protection? Does protection usually entail checking inside protective wards for dark magic? Are wards typically made to keep somebody inside them? This has never been about protection. This is imprisonment. Surveillance. A pretext to keep an auror close by in case I go dark and decide to kill everyone. You are a canary in a coal mine. My first victim, and an excuse to kill me or throw me in Azkaban.” Bitterness made his voice ugly.

Ginny shivered at the sound, ready to deny the allegations. But then the words that he had said penetrated, and suddenly puzzle pieces slammed into place in her mind. Robards hostile, almost provocative, attitude towards Harry. His concern about the potions that he had given her. His eagerness when he was missing from the house. The reports, the checks, the interest that Robards had taken. There had always been a nagging doubt at the back of her mind that Ginny had pushed down, but it all made sense when looked at from the perspective of him, a prisoner and her, his guard.

“Makes sense, doesn’t it?” Harry asked softly. He had been watching her closely, waiting for her reaction. Ginny could only nod. “Please, could I be alone for a bit?” Harry asked. Ginny nodded again and rose heavily from the bed. She had been used, manipulated, and sent in as a sacrificial lamb.

Ginny left the room and began to pace, hearing the door close behind her. As her daze faded, anger began to return. Robads had lied to her, given her bad information, used her like a chess piece. She knew that being an auror was dangerous, demanding. But aurors looked after each other. There was a trust that existed. Robards had betrayed that trust in an unforgivable way.

She stopped pacing and reached a decision. With a crack Ginny disappeared and landed outside the ministry building. Ginny hurried through the doors and lift, fairly certain that Robards would be there despite the late hour. He was known to sleep in his office most nights, a fact Ginny appreciated now. Hurrying down the hall Ginny nearly bowled over Marzoc, who was able to confirm that Robards was in his office.

The door loomed in front of her, and some of her anger was replaced by anxiety. She was going to confront the most powerful person in the auror department. But the gravity of his actions returned to her, and she walked swiftly up to the door and began pounding on it.

A quiet followed her knocking, before Robards called out, his voice rough from sleep. “Come in!”

Ginn crossed the threshold, coming to stand before Robards. “Weasley?” He asked, clearly surprised to see her. “What are you doing-“

“Sir,” Ginny interrupted. “Why was I assigned to guard Harry Potter?”

Robards stared at her before steepling his hands and considering her. “I take it you’ve been talking with Potter?” Ginny stared and waited.

“Well” Robards said with a sigh “I won’t pretend that there weren’t other considerations besides just your punishment. You have a reputation for being kind. And fun. And that reflects well on you. And thus you reflect well on your Father and thus the whole ministry.” He said with a small smile.

On a deeper level, Ginny had known that Harry was telling the truth. And Robards response made sense, even though the manipulation still rankled. And the real question went unanswered.

“No, Robards, why is anyone assigned to guard him. He clearly doesn’t need it. What possible reason is there for spending ministry time and money on somebody that should be protecting us?” Ginny asked sharply.

Robards spread his arms conciliatorily. “Look, Weasley, you can’t believe everything Potter says. He’s paranoid. Delusional. We are only there-“

“Do. NOT. Lie to me, Robards.” Ground out Ginny, teeth clenched. Robards’ face hardened. “ You want to know, Weasley. Think you deserve to know? You’re wrong.” Robards snapped. “This is beyond your petty little feelings. This is about the good of the world, about what is best for the ministry.”

“You sent me in there with incorrect information! You sent me in there willing to let me die!” Accused Ginny.

Robards lost control. “Yes, Weasley” he roared, standing and leaning on the desk, face red. “I sent you in there unaware, because it was our best shot. Potter can sniff out manipulation a mile away. I needed, the ministry needed, someone who could connect with him, keep an eye on him, without knowing what they were doing.” Robards voice dropped to whisper, but only increased in intensity. “Do you know why Ms. Weasley? Because Harry Potter is the biggest threat, existential and otherwise, to the existence of the ministry of magic. And I will not apologize for protecting the ministry.”

“He’s not a threat. I don’t even understand why, or how, you could think that!” Ginny shot back.

“Really? Not a threat?” Robards asked in genuine astonishment. “Well, let me lay this out for you Weasley. Potter is magically and potentially politically powerful. He’s been the subject of assassination attempts since he was barely a year old. He’s been betrayed, manipulated, and even attacked by people he thought of as friends. The Ministry has derided, ridiculed, and isolated him. And now he has literally lost every connection he had to the wizarding world. Tell me, do you think his impression of our world has been positive? Do you think this is a world he’s intent on joining? No, Weasley. The best case scenario is that he decides to leave our world all together. And at worst, he decides to destroy our world break by break. And if we aren’t prepared for that eventuality, then we will never stop him.”

Ginny sat heavily in the chair across from Robards, stunned by the admission and by his view on Potter. “You don’t even see.” Ginny finally said. “You don’t even see that the way you treat him is guaranteeing his view on this world. You’re creating the next dark lord, all in the name of preventing it.”

Robards began to snarl a response but a high pitched shrill from his bookshelf cut him off. One of the instruments that sat there had stopped whirling and was now shrieking loudly. Robards stared, emotions splashing across his face. Finally, he tapped it with his wand and the noise died. He turned and sat across from Ginny slowly.

“Weasley, did you get a replacement when you dashed over here?” Robards asked calmly.

Ginny, confused by the sudden change in his demeaner, as well as the question itself, shook her held curtly. “No. I’m headed right back. Why?”

Robards leaned back into his chair, twirling his wand. “That device is connected to the wards that surround Potter’s house. That sound means that they just went down. All of them.”

Scenarios ran through Ginny’s head, and her eyes widened as she realized what must be happening. Jumping out of the chair, she dashed for the door, only to have it slam in her face. She whirled back around to see Robards still with has wand out, pointed vaguely in her direction.

“Sit down Weasley. I think it’s time we discussed our...options.”


Back to index


Chapter 12: Chapter 12

Chapter 12
“Let. Me. Out.” Ginny shook with anger, disregarding the wand that Robards held in his hand. Robards looked her over thoughtfully. “Weasley, I think you need to consider the possibilities that have been presented to us.

If Potter has broken down the wards, and in so doing, declared war on the wizarding world, I can contact the auror strike team I have situated nearby-

“You had a team stationed nearby ready to attack him?” Ginny nearly yelled.

and we can bring him in.” Robards continued, overriding her. “If it’s an attack, and if he survives then no harm done, just an unfortunate event. And if he doesn’t….well, then, our problem is solved.”

“Are you insane?” Ginny couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “You’re actually recommending that we let an individual under the protection of the ministry die? And not just somebody, but the bloody savior of the wizarding world. Are you out of your BLOODY MIND?!” Ginny’s voice rang through the office, and Robards shifted in his seat, uncomfortable at the accusation.

“Look, Weasley, I don’t love either. But look on the bright side. You’re out of danger, and I can keep this from effecting your career. We must look at what’s best for the ministry. If Potter is gone-“

“If Potter dies, it makes the ministry look weak, incompetent, like we’re on the verge of war.” Ginny interrupted, breathing heavily. Robards looked up at the ceiling seeming to contemplate Ginny’s words. “Robards, this is dereliction of duty. It is wrong. And if you let this happen or try to prevent me from going to help Harry, so help me, you’ll have to kill me. Because if you don’t, and Harry is hurt because of it, I won’t rest until I’ve burned your life down around your ears.” Ginny added in a vicious whisper.

Robards sat forward with a heavy sigh. “Fine, Weasley. Despite your insubordination, you are right. I won’t sacrifice my integrity for Potter. It’s what makes me different.” He muttered to himself. Robards reached into his desk, pulling out a small piece of paper. “This has had a Protean Charm placed on it, the team stationed near Potter’s house is ordered to respond immediately. I’ll have them go check on Potter.”

Robards scribbled quickly and the pair sat, waiting for a response. Ginny fidgeted, stomach in her throat, willing the aurors to respond. Seconds passed, and one minute turned into two. Robards shifted anxiously in his seat. “Something is wrong.” Robards said eventually. “They know they are supposed to respond. We should have heard from them by now. Damn. Damn Damn Damn. If they aren’t responding, then something must have happened. This is bad.”

Ginny’s heart stopped. “Send me over, Robards. I can check it out.” She demanded desperately.

Robards shook his head. “Weasley, if this is Potter declaring war then you wouldn’t stand a chance. And if this is an attack, its by someone who knows some of our most closely guarded secrets.” A troubled look crossed his face as he responded.
“We NEED to know what’s happening. You know that Robards. Send me over and send back up as soon as you can.” Ginny insisted. Robards paused, before nodding. “Fine. I know Marzoc and a few others are in the office. I’ll send them over as soon as I can round them up.” Robards reached into his robe and drew out a small object wrapped in a cloth. Ginny unwrapped it to find a small stone. She looked at Robards in confusion. “Emergency portkey. Will take you there as soon as you touch it. Make sure you’re ready before you go.”

Ginny nodded, pulling her wand and pulling her warded aurors cloak tighter around her. “Hurry over.” Said Ginny, before touching the stone and feeling the familiar pulling sensation.

The scene that greeted Ginny upon her arrival almost cost her her life. Potter’s house was on fire and spell fire could be seen shooting in and out of the darkness beyond the light the burning building provided. Ginny stood, shocked, when a spell flew out of the dark straight towards her. Ginny dove out of the way, feeling the spell pass just over her head.

Ginny rolled, making sure not to stand up right where she had gone down, and began moving forward, trying to find the source of the incoming spells. A sudden silence enveloped the area, the only sound the crackling of the house as it burned.
A huge crack caused Ginny to drop to the ground again. Looking for the source of the sound, she say that a huge hole had been blasted in one side of the house. A figure leaped form the shadows and dashed into the house, bubble charm on their head. Ginny recognized Harry’s figure and only restrained herself from calling out to him.

Ginny watched helpless as Harry disappeared into the flames. A moment later he reappeared, carrying something in his arms. He placed his burden on the ground. Before turning to face the darkness.

“Come on then, you bastards!” Harry called defiantly into the night. Spell fire answered his challenge.

Harry pivoted, avoiding several of the spells, smoothly ducking under the rest, before whipping his spell up into the sky, shooting a flare that illuminated the area. The light revealed several figures crouching in the brush, frozen in surprise.
“I see you now.” Harry’s voice carried across the clearing. He disappeared into a blur of motion. Harry sprinted forward, deflected the few weak spells that were thrown at him. Harry finally stopped when he stood in the midst of the 4 attackers, who, despite the possibility of hitting their allies, continued to spurt out rapid, inaccurate spells.

Ginny watched as Harry, who never stopped moving, stepped forward, thrusting his wand at the closest figure, who flew backwards as the invisible force struck him. The attacker crashed into a tree and slumped to the ground, not moving.
Two other attackers moved forward in tandem, sending spells toward Harry as cover for each other and forcing him to continue to defend himself. Seeing her opportunity, Ginny sprinted forward, sliding to a stop just yards away from the attackers, whose focus was totally on Harry. Her stunning spell took the close figure full in the back, smashing him into the ground. Their partner turned quickly, raising their wand towards Ginny, only to have Harry hit them with a full body bind.
The final attacker scurried back through the forest, and Harry, a snarl on his face, jumped after them. “Harry!” Ginny yelled, taking off after him. But Harry’s head start was too much to overcome and Ginny soon lost him in the trees.

Ginny wandered through, knowing yelling Harry’s name again was as likely to bring an enemy as it was a friend. A scream of pain and terror suddenly echoes around the forest. Ginny spun trying to detect the source of the sound, but the darkness and the forest made it impossible to pinpoint. Another scream rang out, and Ginny couldn’t contain herself. “Harry, where are you?” Ginny yelled, hoping it would be Harry that answered.

“Ginny?” A voice whispered from the brush behind her. Ginny spun around, raising her wand. “Harry?’ she asked tentatively. “No, It’s Marzoc, Robards sent me to help. What’s happening?” Marzoc asked urgently.

“I’m not sure. I’m assuming death eaters are making another attempt on Harry, but something doesn’t seem right. I followed Harry here, but I lost him in the trees.” Ginny explained.

Marzoc nodded, raising her wand again. “Right, lets find him then.” Ginny shrugged and was about to say she had no idea where to look when another scream ripped out, this one much closer. Glancing at each other Marzoc and Ginny took off towards the source of the screaming.

Ginny skid to halt in a small clearing, light blinding her as she stepped out of the thick trees. Clearing her eyes, she was shocked to see Harry standing over a small balding man, who, though he appeared unharmed, let out another terrified scream. Harry backhanded him across the mouth, cutting his scream off.

“Shut up, Pettigrew.” Said Harry harshly. “Merlin knows how you’ve stayed alive this long, but it’s an oversight that I feel ready to correct.”

“Please, please, Harry, I, I, I was forced-I didn’t want-“ The mans pleading’s were cut off by another blow from Harry, knocking him to the ground, where he curled into a ball. Then suddenly the man began to transform, shrinking rapidly.
Harry raised his wand and a loud bang sounded followed by a squeal of pain. “None of that now, Pettigrew. You’ll not get away from me again. Not this time.” Harry paused to deliver a vicious kick to the downed, now sobbing man.

“You’re pathetic. A useless excuse for a man. That you ended my parents life, however indirectly, is a cosmic injustice. One I intend to correct.” Harry raised his wand, glaring. “I’ve never enjoyed killing, Peter, but this…this I might enjoy.”
Ginny stepped forward, her shock broken. She slowly walked towards Harry and rested her hand on his arm. She could feel it shaking under the heavy coat he wore.

“Harry” She whispered into his ear “This, this isn’t you!” Harry’s arm shook harder at her words.

“Ginny” he forced out “do…do you know what he did? Who he is?” Raw pain in every syllable.

“I know, Harry, I know. You aren’t that type of person. You’re better than this. Let him suffer for his crimes, take him to the ministry. But don’t-don’t lose yourself because of him.” Ginny softly pleaded.

Harry continued to glare at Pettigrew, before slowly lowering his wand. Ginny quickly muttered “Incarcerus” and trapped Pettigrew there before turning to embrace Harry.

Harry suddenly shoved her to ground and dove down next to her as several powerful spells shot out of the trees just over their heads. Cruel laughter seemed to float out of the trees.

“I was hoping you would kill him. He was always useless, but served as good bait.” An cruel, unstable, female voice said from the shadows. Harry remained crouched on the ground, trying to locate the sound of the voice.

“Bellatrix” Harry growled “I had thought, actually hoped, that were dead. Preferably of something painful. Like syphilis.”
“Just like Sirius” the voice spat back “always with your muggle jokes.”

Ginny saw Harry’s hand tighten on his wand at the mention of Sirius’ name. Raising his wand suddenly, Harry sent a wall of fire towards the trees. The fire moved forward consuming trees. Scrambling could be heard as someone or multiple someone’s moved to avoid the fire. Then, oddly, the wall of fire seemed to slam into something and stopped in its tracks.
Bellatrix laughed again. “Don’t worry wee Potty, nothing is getting out of here tonight. I learned this spell from the Dark Lord himself. There will be no escape. No backup.”

“Funny” Harry replied shortly “I don’t seem to remember needing backup to turn Old Voldy into worm food.”
A figure suddenly burst from the trees. She was tall and skeletal, her face pale and gaunt. The fire of insanity burned in her eyes, and her wand wavered and bobbed as she held it aloft. And yet for all that she was no less dangerous.

“You will regret every word of slander that you utter against my Master. I will use you to resurrect my Lord and then, oh Harry, your death will be a sympathy of pain. I do enjoy killing, but I think the foreplay with your death will be even more enjoyable.” Bellatrix purred.

Harry didn’t bother to respond. “Ready? Remember what I taught you?” Harry whispered to Ginny. The days spent learning to fight on the move flashed through Ginny’s mind and she nodded. Without preamble, Harry stood, casting several spells towards Bellatrix.

The forest seemed to explode into sound light as other hidden attackers launched their own spells. Ginny stood facing away from Harry, protecting him from anything that came from behind as Harry fought Bellatrix. There was no time to think, and trusting in her training and ability as an auror, and in Harry’s training, Ginny fought. Blocking a spell that came at her, Ginny launching a cutting curse back, severing the hadn the of the large dirty man that stood across from her. A spell hit Ginny in the small of her back but the warding on the aurors cloak seemed to protect her and Ginny quickly got back to her feet, stunning the death eater that had snuck up behind her.

Ginny turned, seeking another opponent. She was surprised to see Marzoc standing off to the side, slightly behind a tree and taking careful aim with her wand. Ginny had forgotten Marzoc was even there and she had apparently not taken any real part in the several minutes of furious fighting that had taken place.

Ginny followed the site line of the wand, and realized that Harry and Bellatrix were still dueling furiously. Harry attempted to close on Bellatrix, but a powerful spell sent him rolling away from her, only feet from where Marzoc hid. Ginny watched as Marzoc’s aim adjusted, urging her to fire. Marzoc’s wand, however, settled on Harry’s downed form and understanding washed over. “HARRY!” Ginny screamed out, diving towards Marzoc. Ginny collided with Marzoc, sending the spell slightly off course. But the distance too short, the warning too late, and Marzoc’s spell slammed into Harry’s side, sending his wand flying. Ginny wrestled with the older woman, pinning her wand arm to the ground. Ginny pulled back her fist and slammed into the traitor’s nose, shocking her. Ginny grabbed for her wand but Marzoc bucked her off, before throwing dirt into Ginny’s eyes. Acting on instinct, Ginny collapsed to the ground, feeling the spell fly past her. Ginny dove, closing her hand around her dropped wand and rolled onto her back, immediately sending a powerful bludgeoning curse towards Marzoc who was only feet away. The spell took her full in the face, sending her to the ground in a boneless heap.

Ginny breathed deeply before remembering that Harry had been hit. Ginny scrambled to her feet, rushing to where she had seen Harry go down. He was gone. Panic closed Ginny’s throat.

“The shield is down, I’ve got Potter! Back to the ritual!” Bellatrix yelled out and Ginny turned to see Bellatrix hauling Harry’s limp body behind her before she disappeared with a crack. A series of echoing cracks followed and soon Ginny was left alone in the forest.

Back to index


Chapter 13: Chapter 13

Chapter 13
Ginny collapsed to her knees on the ground, exhausted and shattered. ‘They had Harry.’ The words seemed to run through her mind on a loop. The threats that Bellatrix had made forced themselves back into her mind and Ginny nearly broke into sobs at the thought of what Harry was going to go through if she didn’t find him.

But the auror department had dedicated nearly half of their staff to finding Bellatrix and the other death eaters and hadn’t even come close. Nobody knew where they operated out of, and nobody had managed to catch a death eater alive since the final battle.

Reaching her arms out to steady herself, her hand landed on something smooth and symmetrical. Ginny lit her wand, searching the area. It was Harry’s wand. Ginny stared at it. No. She refused to accept that this would be the end of their story. Ginny would not leave Harry to die alone, not while she could still fight.

Ginny took a deep, steadying breath and pocketed Harry’s wand. The fear and despair that had overwhelmed her became background noise to her unholy anger. She rose to her feet and began pacing the clearing, pausing only to aim a kick at Marzoc, who was still unconscious, who was bleeding from her nose and ears. Ginny couldn’t bring herself to care.
Ginny continued her pacing, thinking furiously. A large, wriggling lump suddenly appeared in her path and Ginny had a flash of sudden insight.

Ginny reached down and grasped Pettigrew by the small amount of hair he had left. Ginny ripped some of the rope from around his mouth and Pettigrew took a deep shuddering breath. He opened his mouth to scream and Ginny slapped him hard before he could get it out.

“Don’t bother. They’ve abandoned you here, Pettigrew.” Said Ginny dangerously.

Pettigrew swallowed heavily, staring at her in terror. “They’ve taken Harry. Why?” Ginny asked simply. Pettigrew shook his head, sweat running down his face. Ginny dropped down, lowering herself to Pettigrew’s level. “They are going to take Harry, torture him and kill him. If you do not answer me, you will suffer that same fate. Now talk before I start removing body parts.” Ginny said with the type of calmness that precedes violence. Ginny slowly began tracing her wand across Pettigrew’s face

“I- I don’t know. They never told me wha-what they were going to do.” Pettigrew stammered out, following the wand that was now circling his nose. The terror in his voice and face convinced Ginny that he was telling the truth. Ginny dropped the wand away and leaned in close. “Fine. Then tell me where they took him.”

“I-I-I can’t. They’ll kill me!” Pettigrew squeaked. “And you think I won’t? Besides, you me Pettigrew. I saved your life.”
Pettigrew shook and stammered refusing to answer. Ginny shrugged and stood. “I was hoping I wouldn’t have to do this, but Marzoc is a traitor, I’m sure she knows something.” Ginny raised her wand, ready to stun Pettigrew, who mistaking her intention, yelled out. “Please! Okay! I’ll tell you, I’ll tell you.” Ginny lowered her wand. “No, Pettigrew, you are going to show me.”

Ginny and Pettigrew appeared deep in the forest. Ginny reached down and roughly undid the bindings that kept Pettigrew’s feet together. “Start walking” Ginny growled out. Pettigrew, a binding over his mouth, nodded and began walking. The sun had just started coming up through the trees and the dim light gave the forest an eerie feeling, as if it were welcoming them, but for what purpose was unclear.

Pettigrew suddenly stopped walking and Ginny prodded him in the back with her wand, urging him forward. Angry mumbles made it through his gag, and Ginny reached forward towards him. “If you yell, I swear, you will regret it.” Pettigrew nodded and Ginny lowered the gag. He coughed wetly, before gesturing towards a tree.

“That branch. You have to tap it with your wand. It’ll open up a passage that leads to the cave where they’re hiding. I’ve done what you asked, please, just let me go.” Pettigrew whined. Ginny only grunted in response. She had just extended her wand towards the tree when Pettigrew let out a terrified sound and moved suddenly. A bright green spell flew from the shadows. Pettigrew threw himself, whether attempting to save Ginny or trying to evade the spell, Ginny wasn’t sure. Whatever his intentions, his movement landed him right in the spell’s path, dropping him unmoving to the ground.
Ginny immediately began casting stunning spells in the direction of her unseen opponent. All of them were deflected. A large, imposing figure moved, and stepped into the clearing where Ginny stood. Though he was unshaven and his hair had grown long, Ginny still recognized him from the wanted posters in the auror office. “Travers.” Ginny snarled. Travers performed a mocking bow, smiling evilly.

“You know my name. How delightful. Perhaps I’ll learn yours as well, after this is done. Not that I want to kill you. No no no. Much to pretty for that. Yes, much better to keep you alive, wandless. You look like a spirited one. I like that in a girl. Fighters are always more fun to break in.” Travers eyes roamed over Ginny, and Ginny knew exactly what would happen to her if Travers managed to get her wand.

Without warning, Ginny began throwing spells at Travers, who immediately conjured a shield that seemed to deflect everything she could cast at it. Travers began to circle, cautiously throwing spells from around the shield and Ginny was forced to move back. Travers kept pushing forward, no doubt hoping to close the distance and use his physical size and strength to overwhelm Ginny. Travers quickly stepped around the shield and cast several spells at once, most of which Ginny dodged easily. One, however, had been aimed at her feet, and she was thrown backwards when the blasting spell hit the ground in front of her. Ginny rolled, knowing that Travers would be rushing her. She could feel his footsteps thudding on the ground.

Ginny scrambled for her wand, knocked out of her hand in the explosion. She stood quickly and saw Travers running across the clearing, shield in front of him. Forcing herself to think, Ginny raised her wand, sending blasting spells back at him, forcing him to alter his path and slow down. But it didn’t stop him. Travers was only feet away when Ginny raised her wand and in a panic shouted “ACCIO BRANCH!” The branch, as think around as her calf, broke off the tree and zoomed towards her. Ginny dove, placing herself directly in front of Travers, who stopped and looked down at her.
“Giving up already? Sure you don’t want-erkkk” Travers stopped talking, then looked down to the see the branch that Ginny had conjured sticking clear through his chest. He wavered for a moment, then the magical shield popped out of existence and he crumbled to the ground.

Ginny stood up, breathing heavily. She spit on the body before making her way gingerly over to where Pettigrew had fallen. Pettigrew lay, limp and unmoving, marking the tree that supposedly revealed the secret entrance. For all his failings, Pettigrew had saved Ginny’s life, intentionally or not. Shaking her head, Ginny moved his body away from the tree and leaned forward to touch her wand to the branch. An tunnel appeared in the dirt, just feet away, and Ginny moved to stand at the entrance.

The insanity of what had just happened and she was attempting threatened to overwhelm Ginny and for a moment she considered sending a patronus to Robards letting him know where she was and requesting backup. Entering an enemy stronghold blind, outnumbered and no exit strategy or backup went against every rule in the auror book. But Marzoc’s recent betrayal and Robards attitude towards Harry had shattered her confidence in the trustworthiness of the ministry.

Steeling herself, Ginny extinguished her wand and stepped into the open mouth of the tunnel. It was dark and damp under the ground, and Ginny felt the opening close behind her. She felt her way forward, following the left wall, keeping her wand arm free. The dark and damp soon overcame her sense of direction as the tunnel twisted and turned.

After several minutes of walking claustrophobia started to set in and it seemed to Ginny that she was walking deeper and deeper into her own grave. The temptation to turn around was almost irresistible. But she wouldn’t abandon Harry. Couldn’t abandon Harry.

Ginny’s anxiety continued to skyrocket until the dancing light of a distant fire flashed through the darkness. Ginny quickly pressed herself up against the wall and crept forward, praying nobody saw her.

A hundred yards farther and the tunnel began to open up, and Ginny found herself in a large antechamber. It was filled with boxes and containers, some seemingly from centuries ago, and some that looked very recent. The fire was coming from another chamber just farther on. As she got closer, voices began to drift out.

Ginny could pick out the shrill voice of Bellatrix yelling commands, while a deeper voice typically responded. Another voice asked a question and a bang and yell of pain followed.

At least three of them, then. Ginny continued to creep forward, knowing that a frontal assault would most likely result in her and Harry’s deaths. She paused and quickly cast a disillusionment charm on herself. It wasn’t the best solution but there was no other way to enter the chamber.

Her heart pounding out of her chest, Ginny moved forward. She was lucky. Bellatrix and the other death eaters seemed focused on preparing some kind of ritual that involved a large pot, a black flame and several vials that sat on a table next to the bound form of Harry. Ginny’s heart stopped at the site of him. He was awake, though he had been badly beaten, and blood seeped through his shirt in several places.

Ginny knelt behind several large boxes, just beyond the light of the torches that light the room. She had few options. The death eaters were spread out across the room, and if she were exposed her position would be indefensible. Any decision was taken from her though when Bellatrix stood from where she had been stoking the fire, whispering spells that caused it to jump and change from black to purple. “Let us begin!” She called out and the two other death eaters hurried to stand around the cauldron. Bellatrix began muttering but her words didn’t reach Ginny’s ears. Bellatrix reached and grabbed a bone from the table where Harry lay. Bellatrix tossed the bone in the cauldron in disgust, before grabbing her wand. More words that Ginny couldn’t make out followed. Suddenly another figure emerged from the darkness.

He was tall, with pale, fading hair. Squinting, Ginny nearly gasped out loud when she recognized an emaciated Draco Malfoy. He had been suspected dead after the final battle, but no body had ever been recovered. Ginny watched, horrified, as Draco staggered towards the cauldron. Slowly, he raised his right arm, then looked and nodded at Bellatrix. Without hesitation, Bellatrix pulled a knife from her robes and quickly swung it downward. Draco screamed as his arm dropped into the cauldron, and Bellatrix casually silenced him and kicked him out of the way.

Bellatrix then turned towards Harry, putting a fresh cut on his face, and holding a small vial underneath the cut to catch the blood that flowed from the injury. Bellatrix turned back to the fire, triumph on her face, and dropped the vial into the concoction. Finally, reaching into the bosom of her robes, Bellatrix withdrew a skull, bleached white and clean. Bellatrix slowly lowered the skull into the potion, before falling to her knees in an act of supplication. Ginny held her breath. The seconds passed, and suddenly a deep chuckle filled the chamber. Ginny’s heart stopped. But then she recognized the voice.
“I told you idiots. He’s gone. Nothing will bring him back.” He said in a tired voice. The blood from his cut had lubricated the covering his mouth and he had managed to get free of it. “All that pain, all that suffering, for someone who, if there is a hell, is burning there now.”

Bellatrix flew to her feet, a deranged look on her face. She pulled the knife from her robe and turned towards Harry, her scream of impotent rage echoing in the chamber.

In a panic, Ginny raised her wand and sent a spell screaming towards Bellatrix. It took her in the back and sent her crashing into the table where Harry lay. Ginny took advantage of the stunned silence that followed and sent another spell that shattered the table and chains that kept Harry captive.

The two remaining death eaters followed the direction the spell had come from and quickly began hammering the boxes that made her shelter with spells. Ginny knew she only had moments before the death eaters flanked her. She popped up to fire of another spell, forcing the death eaters to hunker down. The spell that had hit Bellatrix was powerful, but it wasn’t a killing spell, and it was only a matter of time before she was back up. And worst of all, Ginny was exhausted. She knew that in her state fighting two experienced and vicious death eaters was a death sentence. But what else could she do? If this was the way it ended for her, she would not go out on her knees. Ginny summoned her strength and summoned a light in the middle of the chamber, blinding the other death eaters and illuminating the whole of the cavern.

Searching for Harry, she saw him still laying on the ground, apparently dazed by the spell that had shattered the table. “HARRY! GET UP HARRY! PLEASE, GET UP!” Ginny screamed out, fearing more for him than her own life.
Harry flinched at the sound of her voice, and suddenly he was staggering to his feet. Ginny almost sobbed in relief. But their situation had not improved. Harry was defenseless and Ginny could do nothing to help him while pinned down by the other death eaters. Inspiration flashed in her mind and Ginny stood quickly. “HARRY! CATCH!” Ginny threw Harry’s wand towards him.

Harry watched the wand fly through the air toward him, and with the skill of a seeker, Harry snatched the wand out of the air. Ginny felt a thrill of hope. But her throw had taken her out of position. There, exposed, a spell hit in the shoulder and Ginny was spun around by the force of the spell. Ginny collapsed to the ground, a pain she had never felt before radiating out of her left arm and shoulder. She reached over to feel her left shoulder. Her fingers came away wet.

“GIIIINNNNYYY” Harry’s voice seemed to come from everywhere, and Ginny managed to turn her head to see Harry charging towards her. Spells flew from the other death eaters, but Harry didn’t seem to notice. If they hit him, they didn’t even slow him down. One death eater was blasted clear from the chamber, landing heavily in the antechamber.
The other death eater turned and ran, not towards the exit, but where Bellatrix had gone down. Ginny watched through hazy eyes as the other death eater raised Bellatrix back to her feet. The two remnants of Voldemort’s army aimed their wands toward Harry and forced him to take cover behind the roots of a large tree.

Ginny felt Harry’s eyes land on her and her vision seemed to tunnel until all she could see were bright green eyes, haunted and terrified. Suddenly the eyes turned away, and Ginny became aware of a distant roaring, followed by a crashing sound that Ginny felt more than heard. The whole cave seemed to be rumbling. Ginny tried to call for Harry again, but no sound seemed to come out. Ginny wasn’t sure whether or not her eyes were open until suddenly Harry’s face appeared in her vision. He was right over her, and Ginny wanted to raise her hand to his face but couldn’t find the strength.

Ginny could see Harry’s mouth moving, but no words reached Ginny’s ears. Harry suddenly turned away from her, raising his wand. Golden light poured out, enveloping them both. The golden light illuminated Harry, covered in blood and dirt, but still standing, unconquered.

He dropped to Ginny’s side, taking her hand. Harry was talking again, but Ginny couldn’t make out the words.

“Ginny!” a voice called as if from a great distance. A voice Ginny thought she recognized from somewhere. Then world faded to black and even the golden light disappeared.

Back to index


Chapter 14: Chapter 14

Author's Notes: Obvioulsy, Ginny made it, but I strongly considered letting her die. I still think that would have made for a better story, but didn't seem right for this story. But let me know what you think? Better to have Ginny die or no?


Chapter 14
A bone deep ache was the first thing that Ginny noticed, even before coming fully awake. It radiated out of her left shoulder and seemed to find home in every joint in her body. The second was how dry her throat was. She forced her eyes open on instinct, her mind still struggling to make sense of her pain.

“Hey, its okay, shhh, we’ve got you.” A voice murmured to her. Ginny knew the voice, trusted it, for some reason. “Here, drink this.” A vial was placed against her lips and Ginny swallowed a few small sips. The pain in her shoulder immediately lessened, and Ginny felt herself falling back into sleep.

The pain had receded the next time she woke up, and this time Ginny became aware of the softness of where she lay, as well as the soft rumble of several people talking. She slowly opened her eyes to see the cream-colored walls of St. Mungo’s. Standing at the edge of her bed was her father, talking with a healer.

Ginny tried to talk but the dryness of her throat prevented anything more than a croak. Arthur Weasley immediately turned from the healer and rushed to her side.

“You’re awake. I’m so glad. How are you feeling?” Asked Arthur, reaching out to grasp her right hand. Ginny gestured at for a drink and Arthur summoned a cup and filled it quickly, holding it carefully up to Ginny’s mouth. As Ginny drank, savoring the coolness of the water and the effect it had on her throat, alarm bells began ringing in her head. She had spent enough time in hospital rooms to know that being that thirsty was a very bad sign. It meant days had passed, potentially longer.
The memory of what had happened to land her here hit her like the Hogwarts Express. Suddenly a healer was at her side. “Her vitals just jumped” The older woman stated “she might be remembering what happened.”

“What…What happened?” Ginny coughed out, pain in her throat exploding as she forced out the words.
Arthur glanced at the healer, who seemed to understand and quickly left the room.

“Ginny, you must understand, there’s still a lot that we don’t know. I’ve-“ Ginny grunted angrily, cutting him off and Arthur sighed. “Yes, alright. Just…just listen okay.”

Arthur thought for a moment, composing his thoughts. “I take it you remember most of what happened?” Ginny nodded emphatically, urging him to continue. “Good, you’ll be able to fill in some places. But I’ll tell you want I know. Robards arrived at the Potter residence to find the house in ruins, you, him, Marzoc all gone. “ Ginny tried to sit up, snarling at the name of the traitor. Arthur placed a hand on her shoulder, gently pressing her back into the bed.

“Yes, we know about Marzoc. She was here in St. Mungo’s recovering when the examination of the ward’s showed her magical signature as the culprit for the collapse. She was taken into custody two days ago.” Arthur said reassuringly. Ginny’s eyes widened at the comment. “How long?” Ginny asked croakily. “How long-“

“have you been here?” Arthur finished. “Three days. Well, this is the third, so more like two and a half.” Ginny shook her head. Her pain and confusion had made her think it had been much longer than that. The confusion must have shown on her face, because Arthur continued.

“The spell that hit you crushed most of the bones in your left shoulder. It also prevented clotting of the blood, so you very nearly bleed to death.” Arthur was pale and seemed close to tears at the words. “The blood loss and the healing you need for your shoulder accounts for the pain in your throat and shoulder. Makes your throat dry out.”

Ginny nodded and gestured for him to continue.

“Well, after Robards arrived at the Potter residence and finding it abandoned, Robards rushed back to the auror office. The cloaks that you were are warded you know? One of the wards is a tracking ward. For a brief moment he saw your location on the old Malfoy property, but then it disappeared. He gathered a team as quickly as he could and we rushed over to the spot where the ward failed. We found the bodies of Travers and Pettigrew, and found your footsteps leading to spot and then disappearing.

“It took some doing, but we eventually discovered the branch that granted access to the hidden chamber. We got there right as Potter destroyed it.”

Ginny again tried to sit up at the mention of Harry. Arthur again placed his hands on her shoulders and gently pressed her back down. “Please…please, just listen, okay?” Ginny leaned, back, fear clutching her insides.

“Potter…his spell blew the top of the chamber off. Literally. Draco Malfoy, Bellatrix, two other death eaters were all killed instantly. The chamber collapsed, but Potter created some kind of shield around you two. After it was over we rushed in. But his shield held up. We could see both of you unconscious on the ground, but the spell kept going. It was my decision. I, I couldn’t let you, let you die, while I just stood there and watched.

“It was Bill, actually, that figured out how to bring it down. But there was a risk.” Arthur looked away, pain and guilt on his face. Ginny shook her head, heart in her throat. “Is he alive?”

For a brief moment Arthur didn’t answer and Ginny felt her world shatter around her.

“He’s alive.” The words puller her back from the edge of the abyss she had been standing on. “For now.” Arthur continued, shame in every word.

“The spell he had done, it was drawing on his life force. To end it…we weren’t sure of the consequences. Bill figured out how, I was the one to do it. It…it hurt him. And his injuries were already so terrible…” Arhtur shook his head, unable to continue.

“Where is he?” Ginny asked, throat still on fire.

“Upstairs” Arthur gestured “He needs round the clock supervision.” Ginny rolled away, staggering from the bed before Arthur could react. Ginny quickly pulled on her father’s cloak and grabber her wand from the bedside table where it had been sitting.

Arthur stood to block her path, holding up his hands. “Please, Ginny, it, it isn’t pretty.” Ginny only glared, and her father relented. “Fine, but please, let me help.” Ginny nodded her ascent, and Arthur gripped under one elbow and guided her out.
They made their way through St. Mungo’s taking the lift up to the very top, Ginny’s anxiety climbing with each floor. Eventually they stopped, and Ginny was grateful for her dad’s presence. Ginny could barley see, her fear was so bad. Arthur guided her to a door and stopped, waiting for a signal from her.

Ginny nodded once and Arthur pushed the door open. Ginny wasn’t sure what she had expected. Healers darting back and forth, casting spells in turn, perhaps. It wasn’t a single healer, sitting calmly in chair by a window, monitoring his vitals. The healer looked up sharply at their entrance, before nodding and returning to his task.

Ginny walked over the Harry’s bed. He was heavily bandaged, with just scraps of skin showing. Several of the bandages had spots of red on them, and bottles of skelegrow and blood replenishing potion stood on the table next to him.
“Is he… will he be alright?” Ginny asked, fearing the answer.

The healer shrugged. “It’s up to him, innit? We’ve done what could be done for ‘is body. But seems like ‘e’s not recovering the way ‘e should be. It might be that his magic has been completely drained, or maybe something else. But ‘e isn’t healing right, ‘is vitals keep dropping, gotta be ‘ere round the clock so we can bring ‘im back.”

Ginny looked back down at Harry and summoned a chair, sitting at his side and reaching out to grasp his hand. The healer made a noise as she did. Ginny looked over in question. “ ’is vitals took a leap, sorry.”

Settling back into the chair, Ginny held on to Harry’s hand. They had been there only a moment when the door swung open again. Expecting another healer, Ginny was surprised to see Robards hurry into the room.

Robards made a beeline for Ginny, extending his hand. “Ginny!” He exclaimed “I have to tell you how happy I am to see you up and about. Believe me when I say, I never wanted to put you in that type of danger.” Ginny was surprised to hear a bit of sincerity in his voice. Robards glanced at her dad, and Ginny had a flash of insight. Arthur Weasley had no idea how she had been used as bait.

“Before we do anything else, and believe me when I say that I wish we didn’t have to do this now, would you mind giving me your version of events? Just want to get everything recorded.” The sincerity had disappeared, replaced by a repressed eagerness that Ginny found revolting given everything that happened. “Fine, Robards, but this isn’t ‘my version’, this is what happened and can be confirmed by my memories.” Arthur glanced between Robards and Ginny, clearly sensing the tension between them but didn’t comment.

Taking a deep breath, Ginny launched into a quick retelling of everything that had happened from the moment she had left Robards in his office. Robards interrupted a few times to ask questions, but otherwise let her speak.
As she wrapped up the story, Robards’ face had turned neutral, and Ginny could tell that he was disappointed that there was nothing that had happened that would permit Harry’s arrest. “Very interesting. Well, Ms. Weasley, it seems that you have made quite an impression on Potter. As…unfortunate as this situation is, there is some opportunity here. And a silver lining. The last of the most wanted death eaters are either in custody or in the ground. And given Potter’s obvious preference for you, this could work out quite well.” Robards nodded to himself as he talked.

“What are you talking about Robards?” Ginny asked in a flat, angry voice. Robards didn’t so much as glance at her as he continued.

“Potter is notoriously hard to influence, but with you around…perhaps he’ll be more amenable. Maybe we can say that you’ve been sacked or assigned to him permanently. Given a bit of time, I’m sure you’ll be able to convince him to attend a few ministry functions. Maybe even a public comment or two about how well the ministry is doing following the war. Yes, this may all work out for the best.” Robards paced, smiling a bit as he thought out loud.

He was surprised to turn and find Ginny standing in front of him.

“Go fuck yourself Robards.” Said Ginny vehemently. “I won’t do it. I won’t manipulate him like that. I won’t.”

Robards stared at her. “You’re talking like you have a choice in this matter, Weasley. This is your assignment-“

“THIS is my LIFE” Ginny roared back. “I won’t give it up, not for you.”

“Your life” snarled Robards “belongs to the ministry, to use at it sees fit. You belong to the ministry. You belong to me!”
Ginny’s wand was in her hands before she realized what she was doing. She placed the tip of it against Robards chest, and even through the wards of the auror cloak, the material began to smoke.

“I don’t belong to you, or anyone else, you arrogant manipulative knobhead. I quit. Now get out of this room before I throw you out.” Ginny pushed her wand harder against Robards chest to emphasize her point.

“I am Head Auror, a ministry representative, you have no authority to tell me to leave this room!” Robards shot back angrily.

“Uh, actually, she does, doesn’t she?” The young healer said from the corner.

“What in blazes are you talking about?” Robards shouted back.

“Ah, well, Mr. Potter ‘ere ‘as listed a Ms. Weasley as ‘is emergency contact. ‘er magical signature is included and matches the signature of this young woman ‘ere. As emergency contact, she ‘as the right to decide who can and cannot be present in this room. An’ that includes pompous, controlling ministry representatives. Not meaning you, of course, sir. Just as an example.” The healer winked at Ginny and went back to monitoring Harry.

Ginny turned to Robards with a vicious smile. “Out, Robards.”

Robards swallowed, an ugly look on his face, but turned and swept from the room.

Exhausted, Ginny returned to chair and collapsed into it. “Hey.” A raspy voice from the bed called to her. Ginny’s head shot up so quickly she almost kinked her neck. Harry was awake and staring at her as if he had never seen her before.

“Sorry, did I wake you? Wait actually no, you should be awake, Merlin I’m so glad you’re… awake.” Ginny’s voice caught on the last word and they both knew what she was had almost said. Harry just smiled at her and reached for her hand.
“Did you, did you hear, all that?” Ginny asked tentatively. Harry nodded, the smile not leaving his face. “Merlin, I’m embarrassed” Ginny blushed red. Harry reached over to stroke her face.

“I…I love you, Ginny.” The words were raspy and forced, but to Ginny they were sweeter all the more for it. The tears that had been threatening to fall since she had entered the room began to run in full. “I think I’ve loved you since the dropped onto my lawn.” Harry continued with a rough impersonation of chuckle.

Ginny smiled wetly. “Harry, I love you. I love you more than I ever thought possible.” They stared at each other, lost in a mutual, soul deep joy. A wet sniff brough them back to the present and they remembered there were other people in the room. Both the healer and Arthur sat in the corner, quietly weeping.

Harry cleared his throat. “So what will you do now? Quitting your job and all?” Ginny shrugged still smiling. “I dunno. I’ve always wanted to give professional quidditch another go, though. Probably going to need a lot of practice though after all this.” She added gesturing to her shoulder.

The smile on Harry’s face grew somehow even bigger. “You know, I think I may know a place, quiet, removed, where you could practice to your hearts content.”

Ginny leaned forward, resting her head on Harry’s shoulder. “As long as you’re there too. I’m not quite ready to give you up yet.”

Harry wrapped an arm around. “Always knew I’d grow on you.” He teased.

Ginny snorted. “More like I need a keeper I know I can beat!” She paused for a beat. “You’ll stay, won’t you Harry? You won’t leave?”

“Wherever you are Ginny, I’ll be, as long as you’ll have me.” Harry replied gently.

Ginny nodded, satisfied. “Good. That’s good.”

They sat together, unaware of the light fading or the comings and goings of other healers, content and lost in their own world. And for the first time in a long time, Harry felt something fill him. Something he had almost forgotten.
For the first time in a long time, Harry felt hope.


Back to index


Chapter 15: Chapter 15

Epilogue

Ginny stepped back from door, wiping her head on her sleeve and admiring the newly replaced door. Ginny shrugged out of her coat, enjoying the cool spring morning.

“Looks pretty good!” Harry said from behind her.

“Pretty good?? You’re looking at the most important part of the house Potter, and thanks to me, it looks bloody incredible!” Crowed Ginny in return.

Harry came up and dropped an arm over her shoulders. “I think you’re right, I am looking at the most important part of the house.” He replied, looking down at her.

“Did…did you just call me part of the house?” Asked Ginny, mock glaring at Harry and flexing her wand.

“Yep!” Harry replied cheerfully. “Though most important may actually be bit of a stretch…Toilets, ya know?”

“You twit!” Ginny yelled, raising an arm to smack him. Harry caught her arm and pulled her in for a kiss that Ginny relented to. They pulled away some time later.

“So when does your family get here? They want to see the house, right?”

Ginny nodded. “A few hours I think, probably just enough time to finish everything.”

“Right” Harry sighed and moved to turn away, only to tumble down when his legs refused to move. “What the…” He looked up at Ginny who was grinning triumphantly. “Did you leg lock me?” He asked incredulously.

“You ought to pay more attention to your surroundings Potter.” Ginny replied seriously, holding up her hands to reveal not just her wand but also Harry’s. Harry’s eyes widened.

“Give me that!” Harry shouted, pushing himself back up. Ginny laughed and took off running, Harry hopping and cursing after her. Their happiness filled the house that they had chosen to rebuild together, and for a time, and in that place, they weren’t anything over than Harry and Ginny. It was enough,

In London, Robards sat nursing his drink. It had been a long few months, and this drink was medicinal, in his mind. The moment was interrupted, however, when a tall, thin man dropped into the seat across from him
.
“Weasley.” Said Robards evenly.

“Robards.” Arthur responded.

Silence followed and Robards eyed him with no small amount of apprehension. “Alright then, lets get this over with. What do you want to know.”

Weasley leaned forward. “I want to know what in Merlin’s name you were thinking. I’ve found out most of the story, including your conversation with Ginny right before the attack. I want the rest of it.”

Robards nodded and part of him was glad for the confrontation. It had been a burden to carry, and admitting it would ease some of it.

“It was easy enough, you know. I had Ginny and MacMillan picked out from the start.” Robards began.

“Before that. Start before that. Why do this at all?” Asked Arthur. Robards nodded again, sighing. “I wasn’t lying to your daughter Arthur. Potter is the greatest threat to ministry right now. Maybe ever. And there had never been someone so powerful and so removed from our world that did not try to conquer it. I know there are others that share my feelings, so don’t deny it.” Arthur inclined his head in agreement.

“We needed something. A way to either bring him into the world or push him into a hostile action. Your daughter provided that. Your daughter is amazing, Weasley, and I’ve never regretted anything more than the way I treated her. The way I used her.

“It was easy enough. A small potion in one of her drinks. A hair from a muggle and some Polyjuice. I had a remedy excuse for a detail change, plus it left her emotional and vulnerable. Ginny, Ginny is one of a kind. Tough, strong, empathetic, experienced. I figured if anyone had a chance to break through to him it was her.”

“You drugged my daughter.” Arthur asked quietly. Robards flinched but nodded. “Continue.” He commanded coldly.
“Um, well, after that, I knew it was a matter of time. I laid out the clues in a way that I hoped was not to obvious. Clues to make Potter more sympathetic. The ministries mistrust. His status as a threat. The obvious manipulation putting her there would entail. It was easy. I don’t trust Potter. He is a threat.
“It wasn’t long before her feelings for him changed. It was obvious enough.”

“Why MacMillan?” Arthur asked, obviously more curious than concerned.

“Potter has a complex. Needs everyone to see him as some big hero. MacMillan was a wounded bird. Knew eventually he would do something that would allow for some sort of scene. And it turned out even better than I had hoped. Made me look unreasonable and almost unhinged, while Potter was justified in his anger. Ginny’s a smart girl, I knew she would see his side quickly.” Robards explained casually.

“Was Marzoc in on this deception?” Asked Arthur. Robards face transformed into an angry mask. “Never. I won’t lie, letting Potter die had its appeal. But you know my thoughts on traitors, Arthur. No, she acted alone. Let her rot in Azkaban.” Robards muttered. Then he sighed. “Besides, if you thought she was working with me, or had any proof of it, you wouldn’t have come alone. And since I’m not being arrested right now, I’m assuming you don’t believe I had a hand in it.”

Robards paused to take a sip of his drink. “But things did not go as I hoped at first. Potter’s paranoia runs deep. I knew that I would need to find a way to make him trust her. The attack offered that opportunity. I just seized it. The scene at St. Mungo’s was a bit over the top, but I wanted Weasley to know where she stood, and Potter needed to know too. Weasley was always going to choose him, but I’m not sure she knew that. Now they do. Your daughter and Potter probably think it was just a circuitous chance that brought them together, a winding road, but it was me, Weasley. I went ahead of them, clearing the path.” Robards finished, taking another large gulp of his drink.

“And what would have happened, had my daughter not returned his feelings, or had he not felt that way about her. What would have happened Robards?” Arthur asked pointedly.

“She…we’d probably be burying her right now.” Robards responded wearily.

“You bastard.” The vehemence in the voice made Robards shiver.

“I know Weasley. I know. But I did what I did for the greater good! Can’t you see that? It didn’t go how I wanted, but Potter is part of our world again! Your daughter has the chance to do something she loves. Traitors were caught out and the final death eaters were apprehended! Merlin, Weasley, this was a good thing!” Robards finished desperately.

Arthur stared coldly. “Perhaps. But you also alienated Potter even further from the ministry. Made it clear that there are still traitors in our midst and betrayed your oath as Head Auror.” Arthur leaned forward. “And you used my daughter and nearly got her killed. For that you will pay.”

Robards nodded in acceptance, knowing his career was about to suffer an ignominious end.. “Always knew I would. It’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make if it means I don’t have to bury any more friends.”

Arthur stood, pulling his cloak tighter around him. “I must say Robards, this plan does not sound like you. Deception and manipulation were never your strong suit.”

Robards shrugged, still focused on his drink. “It wasn’t my plan. I found it, or at least the outline of it, in the Head Auror desk when I took over the office. Some sort of contingency plan.”

Arthur turned to head towards the door before hesitating and looking back at Robards. “Just out of curiosity, who’s plan was it?”

Robards looked Arthur in the eye. “Dumbledore's.”

Arthur stared for a moment trying to detect some lie, then turned and departed into the cool night without another word.

“All for the greater good” Robards muttered, finishing his drink and signaling to the barkeep for another. “All for the greater good.”

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130615