Harry Potter and the Other Worldly Beasts by Seeker_Quill07



Summary: There is no prophecy. Harry is an orphan who joins the wizarding world at 16. James and Lily are dead. Sirius and Remus are alive. Voldemort was vanquished and resurrected. Strange beasts are attacking the world and Voldemort seems to have a plan that crosses the boundaries of the universe.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2022.02.02
Updated: 2023.04.22


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3
Chapter 4: Chapter 4
Chapter 5: Chapter 5
Chapter 6: Chapter 6
Chapter 7: Chapter 7
Chapter 8: Chapter 8
Chapter 9: Chapter 9


Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Author's Notes: Got this new idea and wanted to put it into words. I'm still working on my other story though, Harry Potter and the broken wizard . I edited this chapter a bit so it won’t clash with certain things ahead. All the characters in the story belong to JKR. I am not making any money from this story. My previous story ‘Harry Potter and The Broken Wizard’ is at a temporary pause as I am stuck at a place, I will go back to that after I am a bit clear with things. And thanks to Jui (FGHermione) for her amazing work as always. Ron was born in September 1979 and Ginny was born in 1980 in this story, making them attend school the same year. I like the idea of Ginny being with Harry and co.


CHAPTER 1

Look in the A.N for some details you need to know.


And I am sorry. I didn't notice that the incantations and other lines weren't italicized. I am going to italicize all of them. I directly pasted the story and published it and was expecting everything to be right. I corrected it for this chapter, but the chapters upto 8th have this problem. Sorry for the inconvenience, I am quite new to this. I am going to fix them and thanks for the sticking with the story!!!
_______________________________________________________

“Crucio.”

A scream shattered the slimy dungeons, accompanied by a mad cackling issued from a woman with a gaunt, hollow face, long, thick black hair and heavily lidded eyes which were alive with a fanatical glow.

A boy who didn’t look above sixteen years, clad only in trousers was backed into a corner, whimpering in pain. He had a pale face and jet-black hair with various cuts across his torso. He was shivering

The room they were in was a cold and dimly lit dungeon. The whole air around it had a chilling coolness that permeated into the very soul.

“Did you like that Haawwy? Perhaps a bit more pain… or do you want me to stop it? You didn’t like that, did you? Answer me,” Bellatrix said, and with a flick of her wrist, she made another slash across his torso.

Harry hissed in pain. He didn’t want to lose the small shred of dignity he still had after being tortured for… he didn’t know how much time had passed since he had been brought here. He didn’t know how many had had a go at him. Bellatrix was draining his energy with every torture session since she had brought him as her play toy. He still couldn’t get his mind around everything that had happened; that there were other people who could do magic. But whatever happiness that revelation would have brought was shattered on seeing this demented woman and the others who had taken enormous pleasure in causing him pain.

“Come on Hawwy, say something. Crucio,” said Bellatrix in that same mocking voice she used with him.

And Harry screamed in pain. A pain which tore at his nerve endings; the sensation of his blood being boiled in his veins and the feeling of having been stabbed by a hundred knives at the same time…

His mouth was hoarse with all the screaming, a welcome blackness was consuming him, and he was screaming and screaming…



Bleep Bleep Bleep

Harry woke up with a gasp and hit the alarm off. He could still feel the phantom of pain; his body was still sore and there was a slight tremble to his hands even after a month. He never would have believed such a pain could be caused if he hadn’t personally suffered from it.

Today was September first. The day he would be attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for the first time. It had been nearly a month and a half since he had learnt about the existence of the magical world. He would be attending his sixth year. He would have to attend his exams (OWLs, weren’t they…?) at the end of the year along with the fifth years’. That Dumbledore bloke, who Harry thought was the wisest weirdo he had ever met, had told him that since he already had a good grip on his magic, he could catch up to the sixth-year level if he worked hard. Tonks, who didn't like to be called by her first name and who was also on the rescue team that had helped him, gave him some books on magic and also tutored him on all the basic things he should at least have a grip on. The people he met (which were not many) were surprised at his grip on magic without a wand.

He could hear Tom the landlord’s hustle and bustle downstairs. The room he was staying in was small and cramped with a cot and desk occupying most of the room, but Harry didn’t mind as he had lived in far worse places. Preferring his solitude, he had refused Dumbledore’s offer of a place to stay. He didn’t want the looks of pity he was getting at the place he stayed. Dumbledore didn’t try to force him, but warned him to be cautious because the death eaters who had caught him wouldn't be very happy with his escape and his aiding to the escape of other victims. Harry had asked for a place where he could have some work and a room.

He needed some fresh air after staying in the sterile hospital (St. Mungos, was it?) atmosphere and then Tonks’ house. Even though they were kind and good to him he didn't feel very comfortable there. He wasn't used to that sort of treatment. He also felt like he was intruding despite them saying otherwise, not to mention that Tonks’ mother had a rather striking appearance to Bellatrix Lestrange, whose face he was sure he would never forget. Tonks still visited him sometimes, looking like a different person every time; she could morph herself into different people. She was also fun to talk to and could continue conversation even with less input from him.

His savings, which he had brought from his previous home, if you could call it that, helped him buy some books to learn more about magic, which was very fascinating. He wanted to save the money Dumbledore gave him as a scholarship- one could never know when he would need the money. He still needed to get used to the galleons, sickles and knuts.

The wand he was using was bought by Dumbledore, who had insisted on buying it despite his protests. The wand felt good in his hand, and he still remembered Mr.Ollivander’s words, who looked very creepy,

“The wand chooses the wizard Mr. Potter.”

Though he felt unsettled at the fact that his wand shared a core with Voldemort, the dark wizard of whom everyone seemed to be afraid of so much so that they didn't even speak his name, which he found bizarre.

Running a hand through his hair, Harry got up and started getting ready. “Your hair is a lost cause dearie,” came the voice from the mirror which still spooked him. He didn’t think he would be able to get used to it anytime soon.

________________________________________________________

Ginny Weasley arrived at King’s Cross Station with her family with fifteen minutes whole minutes to spare, which was a great achievement for them.

This year only she and her brother Ron would be the ones still attending school from her family. Hermione Granger, her long-time best friend and her brother’s girlfriend was also with them. Her mother, father and her very much identical twin brothers, Fred and George had come to see them off.

They passed through the barrier between platform nine and ten to reach platform nine and three-quarters, with its scarlet gleaming train billowing smoke and the rush of students and parents bidding goodbyes. Ginny observed that there was a slight tension in the air and Aurors were patrolling the platform. The fear of a Death Eater attack was palpable in the air. Parents threw fearful glances to their surroundings as though expecting a Death Eater to appear from the ground any moment to curse them. Her parents and even Fred and George appeared serious which she didn't think was possible.

Death Eater attacks were increasing with the passing months and some small muggle villages had even been entirely burnt down.

Her mother hugged them all tightly and said, “A new student is going to be joining in your year; don’t nag him for any details and do try to befriend him, he will need some friends.”

“Who is he, Mum?” asked Ron, his curiosity evident. Hermione too was looking at her expectantly.

“Don’t ask me any questions dear, it's not my place to tell you,” said her mum.

The train whistle sounded, and everyone started clambering into the Hogwarts Express.

Her mum, dad and brothers hugged them again and told them to have a nice year.

After getting on the train, Ginny asked, “Why do you think someone joined school this late? I didn’t know Hogwarts gave admission this late.”

“He must be a transfer student. Look, we have to get to the prefects’ compartment. Can you please look after Crookshanks for a while?” said Hermione, impatiently checking her watch.

“Yeah, watch after Pig too,” said Ron.

Rolling her eyes at Ron’s ever-present manners, she took Crookshanks’ carriage and Pig’s cage and set off towards finding an empty compartment. She chatted with some friends from different houses along the way. At the final compartment, she saw Luna Lovegood with her radish earrings and wand tucked behind her ear. She was reading the latest edition of The Quibbler upside down. Luna was her friend who was a year below her. Ginny entered the compartment, pushed her trunk onto the rack, placed the owl cage and the cat carrier on it and greeted Luna; who had looked up to see who had entered the compartment with her protuberant blue eyes.

“Hello Luna, how was your summer?”

“Hello, Ginny. It was good, Dad and I went on an expedition to find the Crumple-Horned Snorkacks. It was fun. We nearly caught one too. How was your summer?” said Luna.

Ginny, who was used to Luna’s bizarre and eccentric behaviour, replied fondly, “That’s great, Luna. My summer was good. Not as thrilling as an expedition to find a Snorkack, though.”

Only now that she sat and looked, really looked around the compartment did she see that a person was half-facing the window and sleeping. The train had crossed London and was now going through the grass fields. The boy by the window looked like he was about their age.

“Do you know him, Luna?” she asked, gesturing towards him.

“No, he was asleep when I came in here; looks like someone new to me. I didn’t want to disturb him,” said Luna, observing the stranger like he was one of the creatures Luna seemed to think of as very real. From the reflection on the window, Ginny could say that he had a pale face and several scars that looked recently healed. His clothes looked worn out from wearing them repeatedly.

She could remember her mother’s words that someone new was coming to Hogwarts. He must be that someone.

Ginny and Luna spent some time exchanging their summer stories, and whiled away their time, temporarily forgetting about the new boy.

After some time, the voices of her brother and best friend floated through the air.

“Sixth year is for preparing for the NEWTs for next year, Ron, not for wasting time“”

“Quidditch isn't a waste of time, Hermione and there is nothing wrong in enjoying the time we have. We won’t get that time in our seventh year.”

The compartment door slid open, and her long, lanky brother strode in along with her bushy-haired friend, carrying their trunks. Even after a year of having a relationship, their arguments still prevailed. The only change was the way they “made up” after their fights… gross. She didn’t even want to think about that.

Hermione, who spotted the new student faster than Ginny had, asked,
“Is he the new boy your mum talked about?”

“Yes, I think so,” said Ginny.

“He looks like a strong wind would knock him out,” said Ron.

“Ron! You shouldn’t talk about someone like that,” said Hermione, appalled at his words. How Hermione could still be surprised at her brother's pig-headedness, Ginny didn’t know.

“I am not insulting him or anything, Hermione, just stating the obvious. You can't deny it, look at him. And remember, Mum said not to bother him with questions and all. Something must have happened to him,” said Ron, quickly backpedalling.

The compartment door opened, and a familiar but unwelcome drawl came through the now opened door.

“Well… Well… Well… If it isn’t the Weasel, Weaslette, Know-It-All and Loony. All in a single compartment, how fitting.”

“Can’t start your school year without visiting us, can you, Malfoy? One would think you missed us in the summer,” said Ron impatiently.

“Just came to warn you to be careful this year Weasley, you wouldn't want to mess with me this year. Who is the other beggar, Weasley? He looks even poorer than you. Maybe now you could at least say you are richer than someone,” said Malfoy laughing with his goons, Crabbe and Goyle, who looked even more stupid laughing.

“At least we don’t resort to licking anyone's shoes, Malfoy. Heard your father did more than that. I wouldn't be surprised if that isn’t the only thing your father licked clean,” said Ginny scathingly.

Ron and Luna laughed loudly at that, and Hermione's face was struggling between scandalised at the thought and mirth. Eventually, mirth won out.

Malfoy flushed at the implication and looked about to take his wand when a groan sounded from the compartment. Ginny had completely forgotten about the new boy in the compartment. Malfoy’s face paled on seeing inside the compartment and he left the compartment with his goons following him looking as bewildered as they felt.

_________________________

A.N: Hope you like it..

I could never imagine Harry with any other name so yes, he is Harry Potter in this. He thinks he is a muggleborn and there is a reason he has that name. Potter and Harry are common names and surnames in muggle world.
Thanks to Jui (FGHermione) for her wonderful advice and help in correcting my mistakes.
It's her idea to changing Ron and Ginny's birth dates to keep them in the same year without them being twins, which became a routine.


Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Author's Notes: A.N: All the characters of Harry Potter belong solely to JKR and I am just using them.

And some changes were made in chapter 1 and some things were added, so better check it out once.

Thanks to Jui (FGHermione) for her great beta work.


Chapter 2

Ginny looked at the others, not quite understanding why Malfoy left suddenly. They looked like they didn't have any idea either except that he looked like he had seen someone he hadn’t expected nor wanted to see. He had seen the new boy. The others turned to see the new boy and now Ginny could get a good look at him. There was nothing extraordinary nor scary for Malfoy to run away after seeing. In fact, like Ron said earlier, he looked like a strong wind would knock him out. Ginny felt a pang of sympathy seeing his face, which had a few scars that looked like they must have hurt badly.

“What was that about? You would think he saw a blast ended skrewt,” said Ron, breaking the silence. He too was looking at the bespectacled boy.

“I don't know Ron. Something is definitely up. Though it's a good thing a fight didn't start,” said Hermione.

“Well, he doesn't look very healthy,” said Luna stating the obvious.

“Probably a wrackspurt infestation,” said Ron, grinning. Hermione elbowed him, though she too was smiling. Hermione had finally gotten used to Luna eccentricities. Otherwise, they would still be arguing about the existence of heliopaths.

“Wrackspurts make you confused, not unhealthy,” Luna stated like it was an obvious fact.

Ginny too smiled to herself and started solving the crossword in The Quibbler with Luna. Ron took a chess board and challenged Hermione to a game which she accepted, looking determined to beat him this time… which she couldn’t.


_____________________________

Harry could feel himself shaking, something which his sleep fogged brain couldn't quite grasp, and then all of a sudden, his brain came into an immediate function mode and grasped the fact that he wasn't just shaking: he was being shaken. A week of being held captive did not help with his dislike of sudden touches, and he pushed whoever the offender was to the compartment wall and raised his fists, ready to punch even before his eyes came into focus, all the while mentally kicking himself for being so careless to drop his guard; though a part of him was happy that he had managed to have a good sleep despite his sleeping draught being used up.

Now that his eyes got adjusted to the surroundings, Harry could make out that the person he was holding was a redhead with blue eyes and a lot of freckles. He was long and lanky and could easily throw Harry off if he wanted to. He held up his palms in a peace gesture,

“Whoa mate, slow down there. I was just trying to see if you wanted anything to eat,” the boy said, his voice like any other boy who had hit puberty. He was gesturing towards the door of the compartment. There was a lady holding a trolley which contained some assortment of things from which Harry could only identify half of. She was looking on with wide eyes. Harry could also see that there were other people in the compartment who were holding their wands half raised.

Harry removed his hands from the redhead, feeling himself flushing in embarrassment and said to the trolley lady, “No I’m not hungry”, which was a lie, but Harry didn't want to waste his money when he would probably eat in a few hours at the school.
After the lady went off muttering to herself, Harry once again took notice of his surroundings. There was a bushy brown haired girl with brown eyes beside the redhead and was checking over him. On the opposite side there was a dirty blonde haired girl with protuberant blue eyes and a red haired girl who must be the sister of the boy. She had waist length hair and chocolate brown eyes and freckles sprinkled across her face. All of them were staring at him clearly waiting for him to speak.

“I'm sorry, I was startled. I didn't hurt you, did I? Harry asked the boy, still feeling embarrassed about the whole thing.

“Nah! I’m alright. I am Ron, Ron Weasley by the way,” he said, offering his hand. Harry shook the proffered and then the bushy haired girl introduced herself as Hermione Granger and the dirty blonde hair girl as Luna Lovegood. After introducing herself, Luna immediately went back to reading her magazine and is she holding it upside down?. The red haired girl, as expected was the boy’s sister and her name was Ginny Weasley.

Harry introduced himself, “I’m Harry, Harry Potter.”

“Potter as in the Potter? Wasn't he dead?” blurted Ron, then probably realising that his statement may be taken as offensive, said, “Of course you are not dead, I just mean…”

“No, I am just Harry Potter, a muggleborn, I think they said,” Harry said, still not completely used to all the terms.

“But- you said Potter,” Ron said. Harry understood his confusion.

Dumbledore had told him that the Potters were a very well known family who were all now dead, killed by that Voldemort guy. Before he could say anything, Hermione answered Ron’s question.

“Potter is a common name in muggle world, Ron.” Hermione then turned to Harry, looking at him speculatively. “I have never seen you at Hogwarts, which house are you in?”

“I would be worried if you had seen me at Hogwarts, I am a new student here. I will be joining in sixth year,” said Harry.

“We all are in sixth year except Luna who is in her fifth year. How come you are joining Hogwarts this late? Are you some transfer student? We don't see transfer students here often,” said Ginny.

“More like never,” said Ron.

“Well, I am not a transfer student. Dumbledore thought I am eligible for sixth year,” said Harry running his hand at the back of his neck, feeling uncomfortable with the way the conversation was heading.

He knew this would be inevitable sometime or another, though they all seemed good enough, he just didn't know them, and he didn’t really want to go into everything that happened.

They must have understood his hesitation because they immediately switched topics.

“So which house do you wanna be in?” asked Ron, and he chucked a small box at him. It was a chocolate frog like the Tonks’ had given him, which actually jumped around. Wizards' brains seemed to work really weirdly, though he was one of them now.

But Harry tried to refuse, he was starting to feel really awkward now. He could tell they had questions but were refraining from asking, for which he was grateful. But he was feeling like an odd one and he didn’t know whether he should accept the chocolate or not. For all he knew Ron may have given it to him because Harry didn’t have any and he felt obligated to give him.
But Ron said, “Go on mate, it tastes good,” and chucked a chocolate frog in his mouth.

“So, which house do you want to be in,” asked Hermione, throwing a half exasperated, half fond look at Ron who had finished the entire frog in one go.

“Um… I really haven’t given it much thought,” said Harry, but in reality he thought that this was all a big mistake of sorts and he wouldn’t end up being sorted into any house and would wind up going back to his old life.

“Well whatever house you happen to be in, better hope it isn't Slytherin,” said Ginny, appearing to be very serious about it.

Seeing his confused look, Ron said, “They are a nasty bunch, the Slytherins. The whole lot of them are dark and evil.”

“You shouldn’t judge the whole house based on a few people, Ron,” said Hermione, though she didn't sound very sure herself.

Ginny scoffed, “Few people, Hermione? More like more than half of them. And would you suggest him getting into Slytherin? He is a muggle born. They will all hate him on principle and hurt him too. Don’t worry, though. I don't know any muggle born getting placed in Slytherin,” directing the last sentence towards him.

Harry didn’t believe there was a whole house of evil people and everyone let them be in school without saying anything, though he kept his thoughts to himself.

“Some Slytherins just keep to themselves and don’t act like Malfoy and his gang. Though I think it's the Blibbering Humdingers’ and Wrackspurts’ influence that makes them all act like they have lost half their brain cells,” said Luna. She was still reading the magazine upside down and had a quill in her fingertips and a wand behind her ear, and she… she had radish earrings. He had never thought he would ever meet anyone as odd as Dumbledore, but he was proven wrong.

“What are Gibbering Humdinger and Wrackspurts?” asked Harry. He was still quite enthusiastic about the magical world, though there was a war going on and he had experienced it personally. Harry always liked to forget about the past and just move on with life. He had always thought that the past hindered everyone; he has mostly succeeded (at least he hoped so), but it wasn’t always easy. Sometimes the past didn’t like to be forgotten, so it always chose to make him not forget it. It may not be healthy to just brush away whatever happened to him, but that's how he always coped.

“They’re called Blibbering Humdingers, and they add unnecessary thoughts into your head. Wrackspurts make your brain confused,” said Luna earnestly, lifting her head from the magazine. Ron and the others were looking like they were holding their laughter.

“Well, that explains Crabbe and Goyle’s gormless expressions- a troll appears more intelligent if you compare,” said Ron, who was now laughing along with everyone. Harry felt totally out of place as he didn’t understand whom Ron was talking about nor did he know what a troll looked like; except having some imagination about how it may look.

Harry was now having new thoughts about them making fun of someone who wasn’t there. He hoped they weren’t some sort of bullies; he was starting to like them. A part of his brain said, they wouldn't be kind to you if they were bullies now, would they?
Well, maybe they are waiting for the opportunity, said another part of his brain.

Harry knew now he was overthinking about the whole thing, but he couldn’t help it; he was like that. Seeing Harry’s baffled state, they went into another round of laughter.

After taking a deep breath, Ginny said, “Don’t worry, we all are a bunch of oddballs.”

“Yeah, I could see that, and I am not one you would call normal either,” Harry said, with a slight grin. Ginny laughed again and Harry thought it suited her.

“How do we get sorted?” asked Harry. He had been wondering about this for a long time. When asked, Dumbledore had just said “I wouldn’t want you to miss out on the experience, Harry,” with twinkle in his eye which he had come to associate with Dumbledore.

“Well, you have to battle a troll and then complete a set of tasks,” said Ginny seriously. Harry was sure she was having him on, but he couldn’t be completely sure. These wizards sure seemed like the type to set a battle with a troll for a sorting and a battle with perhaps a dragon for graduation.

Hermione looked about to say something but stopped herself and nodded seriously, though he could swear he saw a hint of a smile at the corner of her mouth. Ron grinned evilly and looked like he was enjoying himself, but his demeanour changed suddenly as though remembering something and said, “They are just having you on. You don’t need to fight a troll or anything. I won’t spoil it for you, though.”

Ginny had her mouth open and even Hermione looked like she hadn’t expected this.

“You are no fun, Ron. The twins aren't wrong, Percy is rubbing off on you,” said Ginny.

Ron looked scandalised at the very thought, but Harry blurted out,
“You have three more brothers?”

Harry knew they could have taken offence to his statement, but he was just shocked that there were three more brothers.

They all grinned at that, and Ron said, “Not three, but five more. We are total seven,” he sounded a bit embarrassed at the end. But Harry thought it was great to have such a huge family.

“Well, it must have been fun growing up,” Harry said, a note of wistfulness escaping through his mouth. He hoped they didn't catch it.

“Well, I wouldn't say growing up with these gits and pricks was fun,” said Ginny, and Ron swatted at her playfully. Hermione rolled her eyes at them, and Luna simply smiled.

“Well, I hope you get sorted into Gryffindor, it would be good to have another boy in the dorm. My dormmates are good and all, but, you know, we are not that close,” said Ron.

“Yep, it would be good to have at least one boy who isn't completely dense,” said Hermione.

“Hey!” exclaimed Ron, acting like a wounded puppy, while Ginny nodded enthusiastically and laughed.

Harry didn’t know why he was feeling a warm comfortable weight settling in him, it was just an offhand command.

“It would be good to have you in Ravenclaw too, but we wouldn’t have classes together,” said Luna, her voice not sounding as dreamy as it did when she was talking about her magical creatures.

“Isn’t Ravenclaw the house for the intelligent? I don’t think I am that intelligent,” said Harry. If he was sure about one thing, it was the fact that he wasn’t a coward. And he also knew he that despite not being very intelligent, he wasn’t dumb. But there was a lot of difference between both.

“Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure, and sometimes that treasure is hidden till the right moment,” said Luna.

And before Harry could think about the quotation she had said, the train gave a huge jerk, and a loud sound of something heavy falling on the train reached his ears, and someone screamed very, very loudly.

A.N: You may be wondering where Neville is, he is in the next chapter.




Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

A.N: Thanks to Jui( FGHermione) for her amazing beta work.

CHAPTER 3

Ron Weasley liked this new boy, and he wasn’t lying when he said he would like a bloke to befriend. Seamus and Dean were good, but he didn’t quite connect with them. And after everything that happened in the first year, he spent the next year mostly with Hermione and Ginny. The girls were good friends and all. But a bloke always needs another bloke. Ron hoped he and Harry would connect, and he could see that the chap needed some good friends.

Ron’s musings were interrupted by a loud thump and the sound of someone screaming their head off.
The compartment opened and Neville entered, looking scared. He was a round-faced, blond-haired boy in the year below him. He was a friendly Gryffindor with all smiles.

“What is it, Neville?” asked Hermione.

More people could be heard screaming now. Harry got up from his seat, and Ginny, Luna and Hermione followed suit. Ron looked outside the compartment to see what was going on, but he couldn’t see anything except the heads of the people from other compartments craning to look at what was going on. Some first years were running, scared, into another compartment with seniors. Ron couldn’t blame them; with You-Know-Who and his Death Eaters going rampant outside, everyone was on edge on who was going to be the next victim.

“Some strange creatures “” Ron could hear the disgust in Neville’s voice “ “landed on the train. I was going to the front to inform the Aurors before they managed to get into the train. Thought you lot should know and try and get the firsties to this side of the train.” With that, he went outside and ran towards the front of the train.

“What do you think they are?” Ron asked Hermione and started outside the compartment.

“I didn't even see those creatures, how should I know?” said Hermione; she sounded panicky. “Okay, Luna, Ginny, you both go and inform the other prefects of the situation. We will go and send the younger kids this way.”

Though Ginny looked like she wanted to argue, she agreed and went in the other direction with Luna.
Hermione now turned towards Harry and said, “You can stay in the compartment. We can take care of this.”

Harry just raised his eyebrows, started forward and said, “Come on, the earlier we send the young ones to safety, the better,” Ron now liked Harry even more.

The sound of something heavy moving was coming from the top of the train. They started moving fast; it looked like there were many of these creatures on the train. Students were rushing towards them, all of them screaming. Ron, Hermione and Harry moved to the side to let them go. After the screaming students all went to the further side. Ron exchanged a nervous glance with the other two and started forward again.

After crossing a compartment, they understood why all of them were screaming bloody murder and running away.
There was something standing in the middle of the compartment: it was unlike anything he had ever seen. It had a grey and slimy body and four legs which looked equally slimy. It was facing away from them, towards another carriage, which was locked. The students inside looked scared out of their wits. And when Ron thought the creature couldn’t get any more disgusting, its head went inside its body and came out from its arse (at least that was what Ron thought it was). Its whole body sort of bubbled up and its legs started rotating, and it now faced them (didn't this bloody thing even have bones, thought Ron).

The creature's face looked grotesque with two lemon-sized holes that must be its nose, long sharp teeth, and a hideous violet coloured eye. With a sudden pop, another eye appeared beside it. Ron had a sudden urge to throw up; which he miraculously held in. Beside him, Hermione too appeared to be controlling herself, and Harry looked paler than normal.
The creature slowly started towards them, smelling the air (probably ensuring we are tasty enough, thought Ron frantically), and Ron pointed his wand at it and slowly started edging backward. The other two followed him. The unsaid plan was simple; get out of the compartment and lock the creature inside it.

Suddenly, the sound of a glass breaking came from the carriage behind them and another beast came inside. It looked even larger than the previous one. Harry immediately changed his position and faced the other beast, putting Hermione in the middle; looking scared but determined. Ron was liking him more and more.

“Didn't you say the glasses on the compartment walls have an unbreakable charm, Hermione?” said Ron, thinking of all the ways in which they could get out of this situation alive and coming up with none.

“Unbreakable charms only make them very, very strong Ron, the charm has its limits,” said Hermione, her voice shaky.

Well, there goes the plan of getting into any compartments and locking. The doors won't be hard to break if they have broken the windows of the compartment, thought Ron.

“Where are the bloody Aurors when you need them,” he said loudly.

“Language, Ron!” admonished Hermione automatically, as if on instinct.

“Is that what you are worried about now, Hermione? My language?” exclaimed Ron.

“I don't know about you, but I am not going down easily,” said Harry. Though he was looking like a tough nut outside, Ron could detect the slight shake in his voice.

“Well, let's attack and hope we can take them down,” said Ron, getting ready. “You lot in the other compartment try to distract them.”

The students in there started to bang on the compartment wall, producing a loud noise and the ugly creature’s eye popped back into its head with a squelch. Damn the bloody creature.

Ron took that moment to fire off a stunner, which didn’t do anything. He at least hoped the creature would slow down a little, but its eyes popped back again, and it gave a huge roar, accompanied by another from Harry’s side.

“Use fire or something like that,” said Harry, and a sound of whoosh reached his ear and from the corner of his eye he could see a gush of flames and the creature gave another shriek, but this time it sounded like pain and fear; at least he hoped so.

Incendio,” Ron and Hermione shouted in unison. Two jets of fire latched onto the creature, lighting it aflame, and the creature shrieked madly and started banging itself towards the walls of the carriage.
The people inside the other compartment cheered, but Hermione gasped, and Ron saw why. The creature was slowly absorbing the fire and its grey skin started to tinge red.
REDUCTO,” shouted Ron in panic and the jet of light hit the thing and a hole formed in its body, and its body parts flew outwards, but the hole was slowly healing itself and becoming whole again, and the bits of it which had fallen were coming together and forming another creature similar to the others, but small in size.

“Bugger,” exclaimed Hermione.

Hermione Granger swearing was so out of character that he was momentarily distracted; which was enough for the already enraged beast to lunge at him.

DEPULSO,” screamed Hermione. The banishing charm threw the creature a few feet away. Harry did the same thing on the other side, and slid a compartment open and entered it, waiting for both him and Hermione to enter and then shut it.

“What in the name of Merlin are those things?!” said Ron, pacing the compartment.

“I have never seen pictures of them in any book I have ever read,” said Hermione. It seemed like she didn’t like that very much.

“The door won't hold much longer. Other such creatures must have entered the train… the aurors must be battling with them. What shall we do?” asked Ron, turning towards Harry, who was looking at the window.

“I don't hear any more sounds above the train. Do you?” Harry asked. Now that he mentioned it, Ron couldn’t hear any sound.

“But that means all those things have entered the train. Oh! I hope someone knows how to destroy them,” said Hermione.

“Well, it also means there is nothing on the train, at least near us,” said Harry.

He couldn’t be thinking about that, but looking in his eyes, Ron was sure he was suggesting to get on the roof of the train. Hermione’s exclamation of “That is insane” confirmed it.

Just then, they heard a crack of the glass on the door. The creatures would be in the compartment in no time and devour them. Ron looked at Harry and nodded; Hermione too reluctantly agreed.
Harry slid open the window and gestured for Ron to climb, Ron swallowed and obliged. Ron quickly, struck his head out and pulled his body outside. Harry was holding his legs and ensuring he didn't fall down, Ron felt very lucky for being tall, he quickly got hold of the roof of the train and used it as a leverage to pull himself up, Harry gave additional support from below by giving his feet a support with his hands, though he looked thin he is quite strong.

Wind was blowing very fast and the sky was cloudy, and it was chilly outside. Ron felt a bit unsteady on his feet, there was thankfully nothing on the train.

“There's nothing here,” he called to them. He could hear another crack over the sound of the wind roaring, coming from the carriage.

Ron was very tense, Hermione struck her head outside looking very pale, she had never been fond of brooms and overly speeds. Ron bent down and gave his hands for her to latch onto. She got hold of them and Ron used all his strength to pull her and with the help of Harry from below Ron managed to pull her onto the train.
Then the sound of the door breaking reached Ron’s ears, “Harry, quick.”

Suddenly, Harry jumped out of the window, holding his wand out followed by that beast, Hermione shrieked in terror and Ron felt the blood draining from his face, Harry was pointing his wand to the train top and shouted, “ACCIO.” He was moving towards the train very quickly, Ron whooped, but the beast somehow managed to get his ankle. Harry hissed in pain, but luckily, it wasn't able to get a good hold of it and went tumbling down the tracks and into the water below the bridge.
Harry managed to climb the train, Ron and Hermione rushed forward to him, “That was bloody insane!!” Ron exclaimed.

“Are you okay?” asked Hermione, looking at his mangled ankle. “I am fine,” Harry said breathlessly, and started to get up, only to fall again.

“Yeah, you're looking fine,” Ron said sarcastically. Hermione, pointed her wand at his leg and said, “Ferula”
Bandages appeared out of thin air and wrapped themselves around his ankle. “Thanks,” he muttered, and stood with the help of Ron.

“Well, at least one of them is down,” said Ron, trying to see the best of the situation. Not even a moment later, the bigger one of the creature’s legs appeared, and then slowly its body came into view. The beast was snarling at them. Well, at the very least, these beasts aren’t very intelligent. A good banishing charm took care of it.

“Is it just me or the air is suddenly feeling very cold,” asked Harry.

“No it’s not just you; the air is suddenly very chilly,” said Hermione. “Come on, let's go forward and see what's happening down there.”

Shrieks could be heard from the further compartments. Harry pulled himself from Ron’s support and started towards the front. Ron was rather impressed to see that he managed to go a bit steady on his feet, though a tiny bit miffed. After exchanging a glance from Hermione, they started after him.

It was steadily getting colder, and the sky was getting very dim. Ron had a great feeling of foreboding; the cold seemed to crawl to his very bones. Both Hermione and Harry started shivering too, but Harry was also getting more unsteady. When Ron was about to go help him, Harry suddenly fell to his knees and was muttering,
“No… No…”

“Harry, you alright mate?” Ron asked, but he didn’t receive any response. Ron started slapping his cheeks lightly, but he seemed to be in his own world, which seemed painful if he took his muttering into consideration. Ron looked beside him for Hermione’s advice, he was started to get freaked out, but Hermione wasn't beside him. He looked back and saw Hermione frozen in her spot, looking towards…

Many things in dark cloaks seemed to be coming towards them, bringing an air of despair and coldness. Ron now understood the cold; it was the dementors. And he thought things couldn't get any worse.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4

Author's Notes: All the rights of Harry Potter belong to J. K. Rowling not me.


AUTHOR’S NOTE: Nothing special goes on this chapter, and this chapter is mainly to just show I am starting to continue the story.





Harry looked very pale, and Ron looked helplessly towards her. They didn't know how to repel Dementors, they never learned it in their classes, and Hermione read that it was very hard to perform. She could feel the coldness in her bones, and her mind was turning foggy. She never felt this helpless in her life before.

In front of her, Harry completely lost consciousness. She would have wished for that if he didn't look so miserable in his unconsciousness. She could see Ron was trying to fight the effects, but the swarm of Dementors very nearing them rapidly all around the dim evening light completely vanished. Hermione Granger was on the verge of having a panic attack, and she thought she knew panic when she forgot to mention Borduk the bearded in her O.W.L exam. She turned towards Ron, hoping he knew what to do, and saw Harry on his knees muttering to himself and was supported by Ron. She felt herself going into the pit of hopelessness and despair.



Harry could hear a faint muttering around him, he felt very tired and washed out, and then the memories rushed back. Of talking with Ron and group, of that ugly creature with popping and squelching eyes, jumping out of the train and the cold and clammy feeling and memories of being in torture and Harry woke up.

Harry squinted his eyes against the light and groped around for his glasses. He could feel the lights dimming and glasses being handed to him. He wore the offered glasses and looked around, the room seemed to be an infirmary of sorts, except from some history film. In front of him, a group of people were assorted, looking a bit expectantly.

Hermione and Ginny looked a bit tearful but were smiling widely, and Ron was grinning and looked relieved.

“Glad you woke up, I was getting a bit bored here,” said Ron, Hermione, and Ginny swatted him on the head, this seemed to be a common scenario.

“Ignore him, Harry. How are you?” asked Hermione, some concern seeping into her voice.

“Yeah I am good, you alright?” Harry said. He felt a bit of warmth seeping into him at their concern for his well-being, but at the same time he felt humiliated to have fainted before them.

“Yeah we all are good, nothing a bit of chocolate can't cure, thank merlin Dumbledore and the others came or else the situation would have been so much worse,” said Ginny.

“What happened? What were those things and how did they get into the train?” He asked them but at that time a woman in her mid-fifties and in a nurse's apparel came out of her office along with Dumbledore and McGonagall whom he met at the headquarters.
“What did I say about calling me when he woke up?” said the woman who must be the matron here.

“He just woke up, Madam Pomfrey, we were about to call you,” Ron said. They were clearing the space for the matron, who immediately shoved a big slab of chocolate in his hand and said, “Eat up, you will feel better.”

She then started to inspect the leg wound, which he totally forgot about, and then his arm, which he got pulled when he used the summoning charm after jumping outside the train.

“You're lucky you didn't tear your arm, Mr. Potter, your friends said what you did, and your ankle is fine, I have mended, it was a slight sprain. But the venom from the claws prevented the healing quickly, so you may experience some stiffness and a bit of pain. I want you to come for a checkup again tomorrow. And do try to stay out of my infirmary in the near future.”

“Yes, Madam Pomfrey,” said Harry, who was still thinking about what happened on the train, about how helpless he felt. He could still feel the ghost of pain from his period in captivity, the all encompassing agony, the humiliation, and the vulnerability. How he didn't want to feel those emotions again. Harry felt very weak.

“Eat the chocolate Potter,” said Madam Pomfrey, this time with a bit more soothing voice, that grated him as much as it comforted him.

He took a bite of the large slab and instantly felt the change, his body regained a bit of temperature. He felt a bit more alive, but sadly the chocolate didn't drive his thoughts away.

“Dementors, the worst and the foulest things to be roaming around this earth. Even great men fall into misery in their presence. I am sorry that your first journey to Hogwarts went this way, Harry,” said Dumbledore in a sombre tone.

Times like these make him wonder whether Dumbledore can really read minds. But he was nonetheless grateful for his words.

“So, Mr. Potter, every year the sorting of houses takes place in the great hall before the feast, but considering the circumstances we think it might be prudent to do it now. Is it okay Mr. Potter or would you rather wait till tomorrow to do it in the Great Hall,” prof. McGonagall asked in a kind but brisk tone, which she used a lot around him.

“I would rather do it now, professor.” Harry didn't want to be in front of a whole Hall with students and being on a display like a monkey in a zoo.

“I assumed so. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history, and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour,” she said.

“Didn't she say the same thing in our first year,” Ron whispered to Hermione,
“Shhh Ron.”

“I assume you know the defining traits of each house without any bias, Mr. Potter,” McGonagall said with a glance towards the other three.

“Yes Professor.”

“Then we shall begin with the sorting,” she said, and took a ratty looking old hat which had a huge tear from a stool nearby which Harry didn’t see earlier, and placed it on his head.

Before Harry could wonder whether McGonagall’s gone mad, Harry heard a voice in his head, ”Prof. McGonagall is quite sane, Mr. Potter, I can assure you that.”

Harry was startled, and he could hear the same voice chuckling and then,
“Ah! You have a good deal of bravery no doubt and are quite resourceful and cunning too to have managed to live till now, and not a bad mind either, where shall I put you… Looks like you made a few friends and already wish to join them. Well, I won't begrudge you that… GRYFFINDOR,” the Hat finished loudly.

Ron and Ginny whooped loudly and Hermione and Dumbledore clapped their hands, even McGonagall had a small smile on her face.
Harry couldn't help but give a small smile and Ron patted his back enthusiastically claiming, “I knew it!”

McGonagall pulled the hat off his head and said, “I trust you will take Mr. Potter to the tower?”

“Yes, professor.” said Hermione, nodding her head. And after nodding her head to the headmaster and the matron, she left the infirmary. Then the matron retired to her office after reminding him to visit her the next morning.

“It has been a long and eventful day, hasn't it? Why don't you retire to your dormitories and try to get a good sleep, since you have classes tomorrow,” said Dumbledore, getting up to leave.

“What are those monsters, Professor?” Hermione blurted, who seemed to be holding back the question for a long time. Dumbledore gave her a long look and an even longer sigh and said.

“That we don't know for sure, Ms. Granger, but if Legends have to be believed and I, for one, think it's the most plausible answer, they do not belong in this world. By that I mean they belong to a different universe and to be specific the dark dimension.”

“Dark dimension, and are you saying there are different universes like a multiverse?” asked Hermione, whose face was with a blend of fascination and wonder. Harry had to admit, it is very intriguing, that there are other universes out there.

“If I keep you here any longer, I am sure Madam Pomfrey wouldn't hesitate to kick me out, so good night,” and with that Dumbledore left in a swish of his robes which contained brooms and stars. Harry could swear there was a smile on his face like he knew something, which Harry understood after seeing Hermione’s face.

Author’s Note : Are any of you interested in doing beta reading, my previous did a great help but is now busy and unable to do it. I hope I did it good, but I am not great with grammar. If interested, DM me.

Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 5

Harry felt at ease in the present company. It was easy to forget that it was just 2 days ago that he escaped a hellhole after a nightmarish week filled with pain and hopelessness along with humiliation and vulnerability, which he hoped to never experience again. His right hand is still shaking from the after affects. Mrs Tonks said it would take time for the shaking to go away. His body is still in a flight or fight mode.

Yesterday, he broke Sirius’s nose because he didn’t see Sirius coming from his behind to call him and was thoroughly startled and punched him. He apologized to Sirius profusely, but Sirius apparently found it funny, as did Tonks, who was laughing uproariously seeing Sirius choke in his blood while laughing. Remus quickly cleared Sirius’s airway, though he too was smiling, but gave Harry a concerned look which he pretended to not see.

At present, they were explaining a bit of how the wizarding world works.

“Unlike muggle world, people here come of age at 16,” said Tonks, smiling mischievously.

“Which means you can officially have your first taste of fire whisky,” said Sirius, with the same smile. Now Harry could see how they could be related.
Harry could feel a small smile creeping up his face. It was liberating to hear that he has come of age and is responsible for himself, even though he spent most of his life looking after himself.

“We were lucky that you were of age, or else things could have got a bit complex in getting you to safety,” said Remus.

“Well, we would take him in as my brother. I am pretty sure my mum loves him much more than she loves me,” said Tonks, and winked at Harry.

“Andi loves me much more,” said Sirius, to which Tonks replied, “You wish.”

Harry could feel his face colour and his heart filling with warmth. Though, his introduction to the magical world wasn't pleasant in the slightest, he is feeling happy enough now.

“So, Harry, you should select the subjects you wish to study in your sixth year. Generally, students get to choose which subjects they want to take depending on their marks, but Dumbledore got you a special permission. He believes you will get good marks in your O.W.Ls and I must say I agree with him,” said Remus.

“You should definitely take up the advanced magic course class. It is about how to control magic and learning more intricately about it. They will also give the basics of wandless magic, and the advanced wandless magic will be taught in the next year if you choose to study another year,” said Sirius.

“It is entirely your wish if you continue another year of study or not, it's for people who are really interested in the subject. You can stop at sixth year and join different jobs or become a trainee where you learn according to the job,” said Tonks.

“You can also join the same jobs after the seventh year, it all depends on your wish, and you have to chose subjects based on the job or career you wish to pursue. Like you need DADA, that's defence against the dark arts, Charms, Transfiguration and Potions and Advanced magic level 1 and any other electives, for the Auror job. Curse Breakers need the same qualifications along with Ancient Runes,” said Remus.

“What do Aurors and Curse Breakers do?” asked Harry, who was feeling overwhelming, but also a little excited because as tedious as it sounds, Harry knew there were times when he deeply wished he was part of a school and be a normal student.

“Aurors are basically dark wizard catchers, like the muggle police. Curse Breakers are basically treasure hunters, they remove curses on ancient treasures and tombs, but they also do all sorts of work related to curses, hexes, and jinxes. Mind you, It's very hard to learn Ancient Runes, and it will be even more hard without any basic knowledge,” said Sirius.

“Yes, there are also professions like healer, working in the departments of ministry which are mostly desk jobs, and also“”

“I want to be an Auror,” Harry interrupted Remus, and Harry knew even if Remus mentioned any other jobs which are far more exciting and adventurous like a Curse breaker, he would still want to be an Auror.

Harry always wanted to be a police officer or join the army, but he mostly wanted to be a police officer. Harry was always a thrill seeker but wanted to do something worthwhile, and Auror sounds just perfect.

“I knew he would like to be an Auror, I mean did you see him that day using fire, I haven't seen anyone manipulate it that way. You should teach me that,” said Tonks.

“Yeah, that was really great. James and I tried countless times to control the fire or water, but we always ended up wet or singed,” said Sirius wistfully.

Remus nodded with his eyes seeing something which Harry couldn’t see, he said, “Yeah and I remember well that you didn’t like that fact. James attempted it wandlessly after watching a muggle film, burnt his hands, though.”

“Well, we managed to become animagi in our fifth year. So, of course we were miffed. James even more so. He thought he could impress Lily, she was gushing about that film to Marlene,” Sirius said with a short laugh.

“Who are James and Lily?” Harry asked a bit uncertainly, Harry could tell that it was a sad topic, and he didn’t know if he could ask about it.

Sirius and Remus looked at him for a bit and then Sirius said, “They were our close friends, Voldemort killed them along with their son. You know, if we didn’t know the kid had died and that you were a muggle born, we would have thought you are their son. You look a bit like James, mainly the hair and your eyes look like Lily’s.”

Harry didn’t know what to do with that information, he sort of wished he hadn’t asked them anything, when Tonks said, “I don't remember them much, but they were good people and made a great couple.”

“So, this Voldemort, why did he kill them?” asked Harry.

“We don’t know for sure, Voldemort must have a reason to directly kill them, maybe they escaped him three times, and he didn't like that, they were great in magic and opposed Voldemort quite strongly,” said Remus, his tone sombre.

“Oh! Come off it, you don’t believe that. I opposed him as much as James did, I escaped him too, but he didn’t take much interest in me. You foiled his plans too, when you captured Greyback, half of the others got scared and ran away and some joined our cause too, and he never came after you,” whispered Sirius harshly, his breathing a bit ragged.

“Well, maybe he thought a werewolf was beneath him, or he thought he could manipulate a werewolf and a blood traitor whose whole family was in support of him,” bit back Remus, who also looked a bit agitated. But Harry couldn’t hold back his exclamation of, “Werewolves are real!”

When the other three looked at him at his exclamation, he and Remus said at the same time,

“I didn’t mean any offence.”

“You don’t need to worry about that.”

Harry’s brain, which was screaming at him for being a dim-witted idiot, came to a sudden halt at Remus’s words.

“I am not afraid of you, Remus. You saved me.”

Remus looked relieved as Tonks and Sirius said, “I said to you that he wouldn’t mind,” and looked at each other.

Harry could understand why some people maybe afraid, and fear makes people very irrational.

“It must be difficult living like that,” said Harry, who had an idea of how it would be to live like an outcast.

“It is better now, people aren’t as afraid as before and the wolfsbane helps with the transformations, I can have control of my mind. It would have been good to have a cure, but it could have been far worse,” said Remus with a strained smile.

Harry didn’t even think about the transformations. Harry had a billion questions in mind, but he didn’t want to be insensitive. Seeing Harry’s half intrigued and half hesitant face, Tonks said, “Go on, ask him, he doesn’t mind. At least from you.”

Remus nodded with an encouraging smile. Seeing this, Harry’s curiosity won over.

“Can you, like, smell me now?” asked Harry, which he immediately regretted, Of all the questions he could have asked. Harry wished the floor to swallow him as whole.

Sirius and Tonks laughed uproariously, while Remus chuckled, looking thoroughly amused.

“No, I can’t. But my senses are heightened near full moon and the input can be a bit much, but I am used to it right now,” said Remus, who still looked amused and Harry could swear he thought he saw a bit of wistfulness.

Recovering from his embarrassment, Harry asked, “The werewolf is like an animal inside of you, right?"“ Remus nodded“" So did you ever try to control it, or I don't know, tame it.”

“Werewolf isn’t a pet, Harry. It is a vicious monster. It can’t be tamed.”

“But aren’t you the werewolf. I mean, hear me out. The werewolf, despite the reason how it came into existence, is essentially you, right? Just with extra fur, snout, tail and not in control of your mind. Did you ever try to accept the werewolf, maybe then it would listen to you. Maybe it becomes like an animagus for you. Isn’t animagus an animal form of us.”

“I accepted long ago I am a werewolf, Harry. It is a curse I have to live with,” said Remus who was trying to be patient.

“That's what I am trying to say. You accepted it as a curse, but not a part of you. And you are not a monster, Remus. So, maybe, the wolf part of you need not be a monster too,” said Harry, who can see that Remus thought the whole time that he is a monster within that he couldn’t imagine it being any different.

“Maybe he is right, Remus, there is nothing wrong in testing it. We saw Greyback he showed signs of the wolf part even though it's not a full moon. Just imagine it Moony,” said Sirius who looked hopeful and excited.

“Yeah Remus, it's high time that you stop seeing yourself as a monster,” said Tonks.

Remus looked cautiously hopeful, like someone who don’t want to get their hopes up, and then the portrait of Sirius mother started screeching, Sirius got up from his chair and headed towards the door saying,

“It must be Molly with the food.”

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6

Author's Notes: AUTHOR’S NOTE: Hey guys, I am back again and this time I hope I give the updates consistently. And thanks to all those who have read and reviewed.


CHAPTER 6


Things could be far worse, Harry thought. For one, he is alive, and the future isn’t as uncertain as it once was. But most of all, he got some friends (at least he hoped so). The cold water pouring from the shower did wonders to wake him up properly. Harry never much preferred hot water. Though he didn’t like to shower with cold water during winters, cold water always felt soothing to him.
 
Harry met Dean and Seamus last night, though they all went to sleep after the introductions, he found them friendly enough. Looking into the mirror in the bathroom, Harry could see the scars on his body, the ugly gash on his torso still looked black and was protesting the healing. Harry didn’t know how long he could manage not showing his scars to his dorm mates and not telling his story to his new friends.
 
After toweling his body and hair dry and wearing his school uniform, Harry came out of the bathroom feeling fresh and awake. It was 7:00 in the morning and everyone were still sleeping. Harry didn’t know whether to wake them up or leave them be, as they were much more used to the school schedule than him.
Harry decided to head to the common room and come back half an hour later to wake Ron up if he already isn’t. As Madam Pomfrey said, his leg was still sore and a bit stiff. He slowly climbed down the stairs hoping at least the girls were up by now. There were a few people in the common room.
 
A short boy with mousy brown hair was cleaning his camera while talking to another who looked like his brother. A couple were in a corner busy with a morning make-out session, a group of girls were giggling and talking in whispers with each other, reading something Harry couldn’t quite figure out and was happy that he couldn’t. Harry spotted a bushy mane on the top of a couch near the common room fire and went over there, happy to spot a familiar face or hair or whatever.
 
“Good morning Hermione,” Harry greeted her, going to sit on a small seat opposite to her. Hermione looked up from the book she has been reading with a surprised look which turned into a warm smile upon seeing who greeted her.
 
“Good morning Harry, I wasn’t expecting anyone to come down for another half hour. Good, that you aren’t lazy like them,” Hermione said, closing her book and putting it aside.
“How are you feeling, by the way? Did you get good sleep?”
 
“I am fine, Hermione, feeling much better and yes, I slept well,” Harry answered with a small smile.
“What were you reading, by the way?” Harry asked, interested to know what she was reading this early in the morning.
“Oh, this, it’s just a book I bought in the summer but didn’t have time to read and”- Hermione showed the book cover, which read ‘Arcane and Forgotten Magic's’ - “the title sounded interesting.”
 
“Did you find anything about those beasts in there?” asked Harry, who understood why she was going through it this early in the morning.
 
“There isn’t much known about the dark dimension, this book went briefly into it. Apparently, there were three different dimensions, the wizarding dimension, the sorcery dimension and the dark dimension,” said Hermione with a keen passion and Harry was listening with rapt interest. Perhaps Hermione liked that he was listening with interest, she resumed with much more enthusiasm.
 
“The sorcery world had sorcerers and also witches, just like how we have wizards and witches, though both dimensions practiced a different type of magics.”
 
Harry’s mind tried to come up with imaginations of the different magics and couldn’t come up with anything other than sorcerers’ doing some weird tango to perform spells.
 
“The dark dimension was very dangerous. It was full of vile creatures and fearsome beings, and both the dimensions tried not to access it. Something happened along the way and fights started between the two dimensions and someone has unleashed the dark dimension and things grew worse. Somehow they managed to close off the dark dimension and, had to sealed off our dimension from them.”
 
“That’s….” Harry didn’t know what to say, all these time, he was fascinated by the wizarding world, but now it’s something more than that. Harry knew it could just be a theory, but damn him, if it did not intrigue him.
 
“Yeah I know, very interesting isn’t it,” Hermione sounded even more fascinated than him, and a bit sad, “it is also said that so much knowledge has been lost on how to reconnect with the other dimensions once more.”
 
~~~~~~~~~
 
After Ron and Ginny came, they all went to have breakfast and Hermione was relaying all the information she told Harry, and Harry could see in Ron’s and Ginny's eyes the same wonder that must have been reflected through his.
 
“Blimey!! of all the things I was expecting, this is way out of proportion,” said Ron, who paused eating his toast.
 
“Yeah, we were never even told about these legends, guess even my parents don’t know about it,” said Ginny, who wore her hair in a ponytail and is looking much more awake after drinking a cup of tea.
 
Professor McGonagall was giving out their schedules. She gave him a once over and after finding whatever she was looking for, she gave him his schedule and told,
“Mr Potter, I trust you are adjusting well and don’t waste your time unnecessarily as you just have two months to give your O.W.Ls which is rather hard to do along with not slacking off this year’s portion, I am sure Miss Granger would be more than happy to help.” She directed the last to Hermione, who responded with a bewildered, “Of course professor.”
 
After professor McGonagall left, all three turned towards him and were staring at him with wide eyes. Ron chose to break the silence with a,” Bloody hell!!”
On their way to the classes, Harry explained to them that he just needed to pass the O.W.Ls as he had a serious disadvantage, and him passing in this short time proves that he is a good enough candidate to continue.
Hermione still looked a bit concerned,” It’s still going to be really hard though.”
 
Ron slung an arm across Hermione and said,” Of course he will pass Hermione. You are there to help him.”
 
“Of course I am going to help him, I will create a timetable for now and after seeing how good he is, I will adjust his timetable,” said Hermione, taking out a parchment and ink. Ron and Ginny looked on amusedly and looked at Harry with pity.
 
While Harry felt grateful, he didn’t want her wasting her time. “I really appreciate it, but you don’t need to waste your time.”
 
Hermione looked offended by that and said, “Of course I am going to help and no this isn’t wasting time, and no buts’.”
 
“Yes, Harry, we all are going to help you. What are friends for, huh?” said Ginny with a bright smile.
 
Ron slung his other shoulder on him and said,” Yes mate.”
 
“Thanks,” was all Harry could manage, he knew he was being silly, but being called friend and having a sense of belonging were so alien to him and he didn’t know what to do with growing warmness he was feeling in his heart towards them.
 
“So Harry tell me what all you know in general-” Hermione was cut off by a large scream. They all looked at each other, all their faces expressing the same dread and question of what now.

AUTHOR’S NOTES: Hey I know this chapter was more of an info dump, I promise I will try to improve and try to make sure the chapters don’t feel like info dump. And sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, I tried my best and used websites to check and all:)

Back to index


Chapter 7: Chapter 7

A.N: Okay here comes the new chapter. I wish I had written down what all I planned for this fic. As it has been some time, I couldn’t recollect a few things and sat and brainstormed for day or two. At last, I remembered what I wanted to do, the sad thing I wouldn’t even know if I planned any other plot point because I forgot it. Wait… I just now remembered a huge detail and now want to beat myself, like how could I forget. Okay enough rant.

CHAPTER 7

“Bloody Hell!” exclaimed Ron.

Harry couldn’t agree more, they all sprinted towards the source of the screaming which wasn’t stopping. Harry’s injured leg was protesting the sudden strain, but he ploughed forward.

Harry didn’t have time to appreciate the castle. He hadn’t really focused much last night, tired as he was and with the pain relieving potions making him a bit drowsy. They rounded a corner that had a tapestry and a painting that seemed oddly empty. They all saw the source of screaming; it was a group of children, probably first years, and they were huddled together. A few of the children were crying and all of them looking towards the shadows of a nearby classroom in terror.

Harry looked carefully in the shadows for the source of their terror while Ron and Hermione went to console the first years and find out what happened.

“Hey! It is alright. What happened?” Hermione asked a girl, her voice laced with confusion and concern. Ron and Ginny were trying to console a girl who was hyperventilating.

The girl was pointing towards the shadows. Harry looked where she was pointing and couldn’t see anything unusual… until… Harry wondered whether his eyes are playing any tricks on him, because if they weren’t, the shadows were moving and forming a shape and they were unnaturally black.

Harry took a step back, the shadows seemed to be solidifying but at the same time struggling. Behind him, a few first years shrieked again and he could hear Hermione, Ron and Ginny’s gasp.

Harry looked towards the others while keeping the shadows in his vision; Ron was coming towards him, the freckles on his face standing starkly against his skin. Then, suddenly, Harry felt his feet being jerked out from under him and he hit the floor with a thud. He could hear Ginny and Hermione shouting his name and kids shrieking again. Then, he felt Ron helping him up and he screwed his eyes shut in pain from his injured leg. A moment later, he opened his eyes to see that it was a hand with long claws from the shadows that had pulled him down. Ron was dragging him towards the others.

“Come on, mate!” shouted Ron, his voice filled with panic as he dragged Harry towards the others, and Harry came to his senses. The two started walking even though Harry’s leg was protesting; the sharp pain receded and his leg began to stiffen and throb dully.

As the two reached the others, the shadows around them were slowly growing and morphing into solid shapes. Harry couldn’t identify the shapes, but they appeared large and had a beastly form.

He heard Ginny shout, “Incendio.”

The wall near the shadows lit up in flames for a brief moment and the fire slowly died off. The brief moment was enough to scatter the shadows there and they now again appeared weak and didn’t look as solid as before. Hermione was using the same spell on the opposite wall and having some success, so Ron and Harry followed the suit. However, the shadows weren’t completely being destroyed by their spells: if a place was being lit up, they were gathering at another place with shadows and there were plenty of places with shadows.

They tried variety of spells to illuminate the corridor, but they proved to be insufficient. Harry pushed himself to produce a huge light that covered the whole corridor by pouring as much as magic as he could muster and temporarily blinded himself, but it only provided relief.

The shadows were coming from everywhere now, even a tiniest bit of shade was growing into full blown beasts, and the corridor consisted a few rooms and had statues and suits of armour.

Even with all their efforts and Hermione’s attempts with various advanced spells, the group wasn’t having any success. They needed something powerful and lasting to drive the shadow beasts away. Through it all, the first years continued to scream and looked so fear”stricken and all Harry could do was pity them.

Harry heard rapid footsteps from one end of the corridor, he couldn’t see much, as the whole corridor was steadily getting darker. Suddenly, the whole corridor seemed to light up with a light so intense Harry had to cover his eyes and bend down. It remained constant for a few minutes before it dimmed to a reasonable degree and Harry could open his eyes. He opened them just in time to see Dumbledore striding down the corridor with an expression of intensity Harry had never seen before: he looked every bit the greatest wizard alive that everyone knew him to be.

There were four spheres of light in the corridor moving swiftly to every corner and crevice they could find.

“Is everyone okay?” asked Dumbledore, his gaze sweeping everyone and checking for any possible injuries.

“We are fine, professor, except for the first years. They are a bit shaken, we all are to be honest. What is happening professor, what are those things?” asked Ron.

“No time for explanations, I am afraid, Mr. Weasley. Take the first years to the Great Hall. Professor McGonagall will give you”” he was cut off by a voice from behind them.

“Headmaster, your assistance is needed in the dungeons. The shadows there are much more violent and solid and Professor Snape couldn’t fend them off and protect the students at the same time. Those shadow-things are finding more places to hide and re-group,” said a portly man on broom from a portrait. Before Dumbledore could respond a woman in a flowery robe came rushing into the portrait.

“Dumbledore, two students in the sixth floor corridor, they are fighting but they won’t last long. Must be third years and no teachers are available to help them,” the lady said, taking huge gulps of breathe.

Dumbledore’s face was creased with worry and he suddenly seemed his age to Harry and before Harry could voice his thoughts Ginny did it.

“We will help, professor; we can at least help them hold off those things until help can be reached.”

Ron and Hermione voiced their agreement and Harry nodded his head. Dumbledore looked a bit unsure but they all knew there wasn’t any other option.

“Maybe you can tell us the spell you used; we can try and maybe we would be lucky,” said Hermione, her voice trying to convey her determination.

“It is an ordinary Lumos spell Miss Granger. You just need to focus on moulding it to your need. It is hard to make it work but if you put enough will into it” ” here he looked at Harry ““it will work. Be careful, I hoped the day wouldn’t come when I have to ask students under my care to fight for me,” Dumbledore gave a wan smile, and left taking the first years with him.

“Come on, I will show you the way,” said the portrait lady and off they went.

Hermione conjured some blue colour flames that were floating beside them. She and Ginny were working on making the sphere much brighter and were looking thoroughly disgruntled with the lack of success.

Ron was making sure there aren’t any of those shadow beasts and Harry was trying to ignore the pain in his leg. He was remembering the time when Dumbledore told him,

“Magic is nothing more than a wizard’s imagination and his will power to make it possible, Harry, and you are proof of it. You don’t know many spells and yet you can perform those spells and far more advanced magic than many, dare I say, grown wizards and witches. You still need improvement, Harry; most of the magic you learned yourself was for your survival and you understand magic in an intimate way, but now you are going to learn how to use it in far more ways than you have ever dreamed of and also a few fun tricks.”

Harry knew he could make those spheres if he tried hard enough, but right now he was drained (he didn’t understand why he was drained so easily), both mentally and physically. To will something to happen needs mental strength. To make it powerful enough, he need much more of it. Harry was also trying to ignore the pain in his left leg, and his attempts at numbing it (even though he knew numbing the pain would only make it worse later) were a thorough failure. He didn’t know if he could manage the light spell now.

Ron, perhaps seeing his grimace when his leg gave a painful throb, asked him, “You okay mate, is the leg bothering you?”

Hermione and Ginny turned to face him. “I am fine,” Harry lied, and tried to smile which came as a grimace. They didn’t look convinced and luckily the portrait lady shouted, “They are in the next right corridor!”

Harry, along with the rest, hurried to the next corridor and saw a boy and a girl. It was Neville, the guy from the train and Luna. They were trying various spells and they were as successful as Harry and the others had been.

Immediately Ginny, Hermione and Ron started their own barrage of spells and were making good enough impact to clear a path for Neville and Luna, both of whom looked beyond relieved to see them.

Harry was busy focusing on his wand tip which was now glowing. As he concentrated, the glow started to steadily gain intensity, he was to happy to see. Then with a flick of his wrist, the light left the wand tip and formed a small ball which was now shining brightly and becoming bigger.

Harry directed the light sphere towards the shadows, and they cowered back not entirely disappearing, there were far too many of them here. Hermione was looking at him with some shock and asked, “How?”

“Focus on the light and nothing but the light and will it to get brighter as you do,” said Harry, who was making the sphere reach blinding intensity without breaking his concentration with light. He didn’t know a better way to explain it, especially in the current circumstances and he was already feeling a bit drained.

“I got it!!” exclaimed Ron. Another light joined Harry’s light and now they are effectively destroying those shadows. Hermione’s face was screwed with concentration while the others threw a continuous barrage of light and fire on the shadows that were trying to escape and regroup.

“You can learn the spell later, Hermione, now do whatever you can,” shouted Ginny in panic when one of the beasts came a bit too near.

More and more shadows were starting to come from different corridors. Harry moved his light sphere to join with Ron’s light and said, “Focus on intensifying the light as much as you can and will it to join mine.”

Ron nodded his head and closed his eyes in concentration.

“Close your eyes,” shouted Harry and he too closed his eyes.

Harry willed all the energy he could muster into both the light spheres and made the light encompass the entire corridor in a huge burst of intensity that still blinded him a bit, even with his eyes closed.

Harry all of a sudden felt too weak and light-headed and the last words he heard before his world turned black was,
“You did it mate.”

A.N: Pheww!! Another chapter completed. A huge thanks to Arnel and her amazing help in correcting my mistakes and her wonderful advice. I am planning keep the action going on for a few chapters with some rest here and there. And Harry going unconscious isn’t just because of doing a big spell. Hope you enjoyed the chapter!!




Back to index


Chapter 8: Chapter 8

A.N: Thanks to Arnel for her amazing help. She has given a great deal of advice, which helped me improve (I at least hope so). And also thanks for the readers for reading my story and for your encouraging reviews.

CHAPTER 8

Harry was feeling cold and hopeless, nothing new for him. The darkness in his cell became familiar to him, the shackles around his legs and hands were hugging him like he was a long-lost lover and were unwilling to let go. If these thoughts didn’t prove he was losing his sanity, Harry didn’t know what would. Harry could smell his own piss and shit and vomit. At least they cleaned the cell regularly (by which he meant whenever they came for new rounds of amusement).

Harry found himself contemplating his life, how the vile stench of the cell didn’t faze him as much as it should. Harry was used to that smell, there were days when he slept near garbage bins in back alleys. Though he had to admit, this was much worse; the stench was constant and his nostrils ached and he vomited a few times at the start of his imprisonment, only adding to the smell. Now he only vomited when the pain was too extreme. A fact which made him unsure of whether he should be proud or not.

The door creaked open and light filtered into the room. Harry braced himself for whatever vile and new methods of torture he surely was going to endure. He very much wished he could use his magic to fight back, but the chains were enchanted to prevent him from using magic.

Bellatrix, the woman with black hair and heavily lidded eyes that gleamed with madness, was intelligent, Harry had to give her that. He also knew that he had, apparently, become a hobby to her and she wanted to break him. During their time together, she used all sorts of torture methods, explaining how each worked as she played with him.

“Hello, Hawwy! Did you miss me?” asked Bellatrix with a broad grin that only made her look more insane.
“Today I am going to teach my nephew the fine art of torturing someone. I volunteered you of course. I hope you don’t mind,” said Bellatrix, and before Harry could make out the silhoutte of the person near the door, Harry found himself suspended between bone-shattering and blood-boiling pain. The pain was relentless, it was constant, it filled every pore and crevice in his body. The pain was suffocating him, it was drowning him. The moment Harry thought, his mind would give in to the pain, it was gone; Harry could breathe again, but every breath hurt him. He wished all his suffering would end. He didn’t know how much more he can tolerate.

Bellatrix was cackling with mirth, like she always did, and Harry wanted to say something spiteful, but he knew that would only make him suffer more.

“See, Draco, see what I mean. Don’t you feel some satisfaction seeing him whimper and shout like a pathetic creature that he is. You can make people cower before you. You can be powerful, Draco. Think of all the people you hate. Don’t you want them to suffer, Draco?” asked Bellatrix, her voice filled with dark passion.

“Yes, Aunt Bella,” stuttered a voice that must belong to Draco.

“What happened, Draco? Lost your nerve? I remember you are the one who asked me to teach you the dark arts. You are the one who said it would be his honour to serve the Dark Lord. Perhaps you are having second thoughts?” Bellatrix asked, her voice no longer holding even a pinch of warmth she had before.

“Of course not. I live to serve the Dark Lord. I want to learn the dark arts,” said Draco who sounded more put together than he did previously. Harry’s only thought was that the voice sounded young.

“Then show what you can do Draco and remember what I taught you: Relish the pain, the more you enjoy it, the more you can inflict the pain,” said Bellatrix, her voice gaining some warmth. Harry would never have guessed that Bellatrix could be anything other than insane and crazy let alone an aunt. Harry braced himself for what was about to come.

“Crucio!” shouted Draco.

Harry felt it, but unlike the times with Bellatrix and others, this didn’t hurt continuously. It felt like a blow, a rather hard one, but not the pain he was expecting. Guess Draco didn’t have it in him.

Then suddenly something strange happened, the world around Harry seemed to shift and morph and Harry found himself in a small dimly-lit room. There was a mattress that looked ancient with springs poking out and looked worn and on it was a stack of newspapers and books and other things; there was a small cupboard and a banner hanging on it; a trunk and a snowy owl in a cage which was sleeping. Harry himself was on a chair with his head leaning on the window and staring at a bunched-up newspaper . He was feeling sad, helpless and lost. Harry could tell these were foreign feelings but at the same time, they were his. Harry didn’t know what was happening and was wondering if he was dreaming. He could make out the words ALBUS DUMBLEDORE REMEMBERED, and before his brain could comprehend what he was reading, Harry felt himself floating upwards and slowly he found himself awake and in the Great Hall. What a strange dream,
Harry thought.

Harry didn’t know when he slept again, but the next time he woke up, Harry was not alone. He groped for his glasses beside him and someone pushed his glasses over his nose for him and the faces of the people beside him came into clarity. It was Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, Neville and two other girls Harry didn’t know. One of them had a curly blonde hair and another had a smooth black hair.

“How are you feeling, Harry?” asked Ginny.

“I am fine,” replied Harry, but he wasn’t feeling fine. His head was feeling wobbly and he felt very weak and seeing the two girls who were looking at him made him feel self-conscious. Harry tried to get into a sitting position, his hands were shaky and he was feeling like a twig that was about to be snapped.

“Blimey! Slow down, mate,” said Ron, who got up and helped Harry into a sitting position and put a pillow behind his back.

“Thanks,” Harry muttered, feeling thoroughly ashamed and awkward.

“You don’t look fine, Harry,” said Hermione, looking concerned. “And don’t feel bad. Madam Pomfrey said you will be feeling weak”” here she looked at Neville, who nodded and left “ “she will explain what happened to you.”

Harry averted his eyes and looked around to see that they were in the Great Hall and there were a few beds arranged in rows, as though a make-shift infirmary.

“You were unconscious the whole day, except for sometime. Thanks for helping us by the way, we would have most probably been dead, without all of you coming. I am glad you are on the mend,” said Luna, giving him a sincere smile, which Harry tried to return.

“Dumbledore thought it was best for the students to stay in the Great Hall under the teachers’ supervision. We may stay here until they erect some wards to prevent further such incidents,” said Hermione, looking anxious.

“It’s probably gonna take two or more days. My brother, Bill, is also here. He is a curse-breaker and they are specialised in this,” said Ginny, who was sporting the same look as Hermione and now that Harry saw everyone’s faces, he could see that everyone looked tense and anxious. It appeared as though there was worse news and Harry got a sense of foreboding. His suspicions were proved true when the blonde-haired girl said,

“Apparently, Hogwarts wasn’t the only placed that was attacked. St. Mungo’s, Diagonal Alley and even the ministry was attacked. The whole wizarding world is in chaos. People are afraid of the possibility of another Dark wizard but if You-Know-Who is behind this, that is even more terrifying.”

Harry stared at her and the other girl, now starting to really wonder what they are doing here.

Perhaps sensing Harry’s thoughts, Hermione said, “Oh! I completely forgot, she is Lavender”” pointing towards the blonde-haired girl” “and she is Parvati.”” gesturing towards the dark-haired girl” “They both are in our year and house.”

They both waved at him and feeling stupid, Harry waved his hand.

“It’s nice to meet you,” said Parvati giving him a small smile.

“Yep, it’s nice meeting you,” said Lavender, with her own small smile.

Harry nodded his head, and reciprocated their words, but he couldn’t quite reciprocate their smile; unfortunately, smiling didn’t come natural to him. Now with the throbbing in his head, it came out even more as a grimace. Thankfully, they both seem to understand.

Then casually Lavender asked something he was totally not expecting, “So Harry, have any girlfriends or boyfriends?”

Harry, who was tentatively drinking some water, nearly spat it out and ended up choking a bit. Beside Lavender, Parvati was smirking while Hermione and Ginny rolled their eyes and looked amused about the whole thing. Harry looked towards Ron for some help, but he shrugged his shoulder, indicating that Harry is on his own for this one and he too was looking as though he is enjoying it. Luna was just looking at him expectantly as though it was a general question.

Harry could feel his face reddening a bit and tried to keep his voice from stuttering when he replied, “No, I don’t have any girlfriends nor boyfriends.” Harry nearly added he didn’t even have friends but managed to stop himself.

“I am sure a few girls wouldn’t mind asking you out. You do look good, that messy hair suits you. Gives you a windswept look. Not to mention you are intriguing, as it’s the first anyone joined Hogwarts directly in their sixth year,” said Parvati, who was now looking pleased with how uncomfortable and awkward she was making him.

Harry didn’t know what to say to that; he was thoroughly blushing and stuttering now and thankfully Ginny came to his rescue, though she looked a second away from bursting with laughter.

“Oh! Cut it off, you two. Don’t mind them, Harry, they are just messing with you.”

“Yeah, we are just having a bit fun, Harry. Sorry if we made you a bit uncomfortable,” said Parvati, who looked a bit unapologetic.

“It’s okay,” said Harry, thankful that the discussion about how fanciable he was would stop.

“Yes, Harry, though you look cute blushing,” said Lavender and at once Harry’s face reddened again and the others dissolved into laughter.

Fortunately for Harry, Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey along with Neville chose that time to arrive and the laughter came to an end.

“Good to see you awake, Mr. Potter,” said Madam Pomfrey, taking out her wand and performing few spells to check him over.

“Now I am sure you want to know what happened, Potter. After you went unconscious, your friends managed to get you down here. Luckily, they didn’t face any of those shadow monsters. But unluckily for you, the injury you got on the Hogwarts Express due to that beast wasn’t just a scratch,” said McGonagall.

“I am sincerely sorry for the oversight on my part Mr Potter,” said the matron. “The toxin from that beast was something no one has ever seen. It acted slowly and discreetly as though it had a life of its own. It directly attacked the cells of your body one by one and indirectly attacked your magic itself. Your magic constantly tried to fight that venom in your body, leaving you drained. Luckily it was just a scratch, if it was any deeper, I am afraid of the outcome.”

She handed him a potion to drink, which tasted as foul as something could get. Harry handed back the goblet as he was listening to all this feeling detached and knowing there is more to the story.

“The shadow thing which came in contact with you must have somehow boosted the venom in your body ”which we still don’t know how” your total blood was contaminated and your leg too. I performed a blood transfusion and removed all the bones in your leg and had them regrown. And again, you were lucky that you were so out of it that you don’t really remember drinking Skele-Gro, which I assure you is one of the foulest and painful potion to drink,” said Madam Pomfrey. Seeing his look of horror at her mention of removing his bones and having them regrow, she gave a kind smile and said, “Don’t worry Mr. Potter, you are alright now. We are just going to keep you in observation for today which means you are to have complete bedrest for today.”

Harry just nodded; the potion made him feel a bit more himself but he was still feeling disoriented from the dream.

“Take care, Potter, and get some rest,” said Professor McGonagall, offering her own kind smile. With that both of them left, leaving Harry with his current companions and a thousand thoughts.

A.N: Hope you all liked it. Any feedback is welcome and once again thanks to Arnel for correcting my mistakes and giving me wonderful advice.




Back to index


Chapter 9: Chapter 9

A.N: Hey!! I am back. I was busy with college. I just wanted to mention that there is no bashing in this fic. If any character seems a bit ooc there is a reason(I hope I am not characterising our main characters ooc).

He wished his misery would end, but at the same time he didn’t want it to end. He knew he deserved this and much more for what he had done. Peace was something he very much wished right now. A peace of self, to know if he felt any remorse for his actions. He did feel the remorse, he just wanted to know if his remorse came due to his present living condition or if it was real.

He was going insane in this dreary place, with nothing but darkness to watch and silence to hear. He was weak and frail, old age had caught up to him with a vengeance and his imprisonment only made it far worse. He wanted to know whether his imprisonment was an act of mercy or to make him suffer. He wanted to know what Albus thought he was giving him. He wanted to know whether Albus wanted him to suffer or not. So many questions. He didn’t know what the answers would provide him, but he wanted to know them nonetheless.

He wished Albus would meet him and answer his questions. Did he even deserve that small favour. He didn’t think he did. But he knew deep down that he wanted to apologize. His sins were beyond apologies, but he wanted to give them nonetheless.

He did many vile things for many selfish reasons, but the only thing that bothered him the most was what he had done to Albus. Although, luckily, it didn’t work, but it didn’t negate the fact that he tried to do that to his friend.

He wondered how his followers and other friends were doing. He often wondered what they would really think of him, if they knew; to what depths he sank to achieve his goals, would they have still followed him. There was a limit to every person, to even the vilest person. Grindelwald knew he crossed it long ago.

And now there seemed to be someone else who crossed the limits, and if the little words he gained from the guards were any indicator, this someone crossed the limits he only ever imagined.

Grindelwald heard a loud rumble of thunder from one side, he thought he still had a lot of time for his one day meal; enough to keep him alive.

“Hello Gellert, I hope I am not disturbing you at this time,” came a voice from one side of his cell. His cell could never be accessed from the inside in any form, and even for someone to come from outside, it took a tremendous amount of skill. He should know that since he was the one who built the prison.

Gellert recognised the voice as though he had heard that voice yesterday, and he didn’t even have the energy to be surprised. Even though he recognised the voice, there was something odd with it, something new.

“Albus, old friend. A pleasant surprise,” said Gellert.

“I wouldn’t be so quick with my words if I were you. After all, words have certain power to them,” said Albus, his voice coming from the shadows.

“I have been searching for the Darkhold or the Book of Sins or the Book of the Damned. Guess where my search for it led me. I shouldn’t have been surprised that you managed to find it,” said the voice from the shadows. Gellert was having a huge sense of foreboding, he thought that spell didn’t work, he hoped it didn’t. A spell cast out of anger and a feeling of betrayal. That was his deepest regret.

Gellert thought he experienced fear, thought he knew it. But he was wrong, the feeling he was now experiencing was a thousand times worse.

“Weren’t you the one who didn’t want to find it. Didn’t you say it was dangerous to fall into the hands of any human.”

“Ah! Times change, you see. You know better than anyone that sometimes you have to do things you don’t want to. A necessary sacrifice,” said Albus his voice containing a clear sense of fake sincerity. Gellert’s fear only increased, but along with it came anger. The Darkhold was a very dangerous book, it completely manipulates you. Gellert only managed to escape it very narrowly, but the damage was already done.

“Oh! For the greater good now isn’t it. You can’t fool me!” growled Gellert. He knew what was going to happen, he needed to do something. He needed to right his wrongs. This was his last chance. Gellert was preparing himself, he had a few tricks up his sleeve that Albus wouldn’t know. He just needed a connection or a link, even a small one.

“You are the reason this is happening, Gellert, these are the consequences of your action. All this is on you. I wouldn’t have come here. But that fool Voldemort is clever, a puppet in the grand scheme but still clever. He is forcing my hand,” Albus said, his voice calm and expectant.

“I changed, Albus, I understood the consequences of the Darkhold, So I destroyed it, like you wanted,” said Gellert, knowing that he wouldn’t be believed.

“Alas! That’s a bad thing then, goodbye old friend,” said Albus, his voice gaining a sinister edge. Suddenly the shadows in the room grew and warped, they became huge. Gellert was ready, he didn’t know what it was, but he was ready. It felt like this is the reason he was alive till now, to perform a last task. He truly hoped this would work. The shadows wrapped themselves around him, going inside his mouth and nostrils, burning him, his brain was experiencing a tremendous amount of pain, he knew it was being raided without mercy, and in his last moments of life Gellert Grindelwald did his last act for redeeming himself.
---------------------------------

Harry was feeling good enough to move; he really needed to get some blood running in his legs and he was feeling restless. All the students were still in the Great Hall except the few seventh years, who were on request from the ministry went to help them.

The entire world was shaken by the events apparently, and an ICW meeting will be held tomorrow. Dumbledore and a few other teachers were trying to come up with wards to prevent such future attacks and they had been trying since yesterday. Every face in the Hall reflected a dread that this was just the beginning.

Hermione had been asking him to teach her the light ball and to teach her how to control it. Even though Ginny only asked once, he knew she wanted to learn it. Ron could also teach, but Harry showed that he had much more talent in these things. Harry understood their need to learn it, these times were dangerous and having something up your sleeve was always a good thing.

So, Harry found himself in a corner surrounded by Ginny, Hermione, Ron and Luna. Harry didn’t really know how to start; Ginny gave him a reassuring smile which gave Harry some boost.

“Magic is basically like a living thing inside you. It’s not like a pet but it has an intimate connection with us. It grows with us, it evolves with us. I don’t know a much better way to say it, but try to visualise magic like that or in any way you most connect with. Just form an intimate bond with it. See, it’s like how you feel with your wand, I never had a wand before, maybe that helped me,” said Harry, hoping he made some sense.

“That makes a lot of sense to be honest,” said Hermione, with the others nodding.

“That is really an interesting point of view, I never thought of magic that way. Father believes that glimmering faeries bless people with magic, he discontinued his research in that field, though,” said Luna. Harry couldn’t really be sure if she was joking or not, and the others’ expressions only confused him.

“Okay, so we tell this magic in us to perform the spells?” Ginny Asked.

“Well, not exactly like that. You have to sort of coax the magic to do what you want to do. Sometimes you have to force it, sometimes you have to be a bit more delicate. See, even though I said magic is a bit like living thing, I don’t think magic has any feelings. I think magic is just unique to each being, it reacts based on you. It takes practice to really get in tune with our magic. After that it’s just instinct of when to use what,” said Harry, ending his sentence with a yawn.
Harry didn’t understand how could he still feel sleepy after sleeping for so much time. Perhaps sensing his reluctancy to sleep, no one mentioned about him taking rest. They just talked about mundane stuff, to get their minds off their current situation, and Harry, for the most part, just listened and felt a small sense of happiness in this gloom to have made some good friends.

A.N: Once again a huge thanks to Arnel for her amazing help. This is a small chapter, but I hoped it set up the key elements of the plot for all of you. And for the Dumbledore lovers, I just wanted to say that I am Dumbledore admirer too and things are happening for a reason. For all you know that may not even be the real Dumbledore, there are so many possibilities. Do leave reviews to help me improve.

Next chapter I am going to develop Hinny, I don’t know how I will do it. It’s my first time trying to develop some romance.





Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130619