The Hidden Path by harrystwin1



Summary: Ginny discovers a hidden pathway in the hills behind Hogsmeade. The week before Halloween, she meets Harry there and shows him what she found at the end of this secret path in the woods.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Post-DH/AB
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2022.03.20
Updated: 2022.06.13


The Hidden Path by harrystwin1
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

The Saturday before Halloween began with grey skies that threatened snow and a chilling wind whistling through trees bereft of their leaves. Nearly all the colorful vegetation had fallen from their branches, blown away by the winds that swept the grounds of Hogwarts almost daily for a month.

Ginny Weasley climbed the stairs into the castle after Quidditch practice and hurried to the main staircase. If she ran to the dormitory, she’d have half an hour to shower and change for the first Hogsmeade trip of the school year.

She decided that becoming Captain of the Gryffindor House team had its advantages, as she could call an end to practice whenever she liked.

Forty minutes later, Ginny flew down the stone steps from the castle and down to the gates. She passed several third and fourth-year students on their way into the village. She felt relieved that almost everyone in her year had long ago lost interest in Hogsmeade visits, and she could arrive only slightly late for her date.

When Ginny entered the Three Broomsticks, she found it nearly full of patrons and a familiar face at a corner table.

Harry Potter watched her approach with green eyes she loved. His untidy black hair fell over his eyes and partially hid his forehead’s lightning bolt scar. He raised a hand and waved her over to meet him.

“Hello,” Harry said and kissed her warmly when she sat down.

“Wow,” Ginny said and grinned at him. “You’d think we hadn’t seen each other in a month.”

Harry rolled his eyes and squeezed her hand tight. “Very funny.”

“How long have you been waiting?”

“About five minutes. I was late getting a start this morning. Yesterday’s training class went late, and I was exhausted.”

“How’s the remodel at Godrich’s Hollow going?”

“I’m nearly finished. I’m quite anxious to show you.”

“I’m excited to see it. I know you’ve wanted to finish since the day after “ well since you returned the Elder wand to Dumbledore’s grave.”

Harry went quiet and then said. “Yeah, but it was more important to help everyone rebuild Hogwarts. I know I shouldn’t feel this way, but sometimes the things magic can do astounds me.”

Ginny nodded. “I know what you mean, Harry. During Quidditch practice, I looked over at the castle, and once again, it was a bit unbelievable to see it standing there as if nothing happened.”

“I think every wizard in Europe pitched in at one point,” Harry said as he thought about standing beside hundreds of others and casting spells to repair and clean up the mess made by the defeat of Voldemort.

“Dad said he met a few people from Australia, America, one old wizard from Russia, and a hag from Mongolia.”

Harry laughed as the crowd around them increased in volume. “Hey, you want a butterbeer, or should we go?”

“Both,” Ginny said and winked at him.

They left the Three Broomsticks twenty minutes later after Harry successfully convinced Madam Rosmerta to take his money for their drinks.

“I wish people would stop trying to give me free drinks, meals, the latest Quidditch supplies, etc.” Harry complained as they walked through the cold wind.

“They want to show their gratitude,” Ginny said.

“I know, but there are other ways. I have enough gold from mum and dad and Sirius to never have to work again. I may as well spend some of it instead of hoarding it in a Gringotts vault.”

Ginny took his hand. “You’re right, Harry, but maybe you can let them show their thanks once in a while.”

Harry blew out a breath. “Tell me about Quidditch practice.”

Ginny talked steadily for ten minutes, and for most of that time, Harry didn’t realize they were heading up the hills toward the cave where he’d met with Sirius in his fourth year. When he did recognize the turnstile, he stopped Ginny and said. “Where are we going?”

“I have something I want to show you. I found it two weeks ago.”

They continued past the turnstile and into the hills until Ginny stopped him. “Here’s the path.”

Harry stared at the heavy growth of underbrush that blocked them. “Um, Ginny. What are you ““

Ginny stood staring hard at a spot between two elm trees, and suddenly the evergreen brush opened a path in front of them. Ginny said. “After you.”

Harry gave her a look, and she shrugged. “I know where I’m going.”

“If you say so.” Harry stepped onto the path, and they walked through the trees lining the walkway to their left and right. He heard the underbrush behind him and turned to see it close off the path. “Ah, Ginny.”

“Don’t worry,” Ginny said. “We’ll find our way out.”

“Why not apparate in?” Harry asked.

“Because I’ve tried, and it doesn’t work. I don’t know why.”

Ginny led him further into the woods, and after about a five-minute hike up a hill, they left the woods for a small clearing with a perfectly round pool of crystal clear water and a stone bench that reminded Harry of something he’d seen once in a book. He couldn’t remember which book or the subject matter.

“Wow,” Harry said as he looked at the pool of water and golden grass carpeting the clearing. “It looks like something out of a fairytale.”

“Yes,” Ginny said.

“How did you find this place if it’s hidden?”

“I’m not entirely sure. I was visiting Grawp one day, and I found it.”

“You were? How is Grawp?”

“He loves the cave. He’s getting better at communication with people other than Hagrid. His favorite treat is Hagrid’s rock cakes, so I took him a bag. When I left, I felt homesick and “ missing you,” Ginny glanced over at Harry, who’d taken a seat on the stone bench.

“Come here,” Harry said and held out a hand to her.

“I walked down the path from the cave, and something made me stop and look. The path appeared just like it did today, and I decided to explore it.”

She saw the disapproval in Harry’s eyes, and she said. “I know it was foolish to enter an unknown path, but I found this pool and the bench. I’ve come back here twice to think and write letters to you. Something about this place makes me feel close to you.”

“It’s like the Room of Requirement,” Harry said.

“Yes, a bit.”

Harry leaned over and kissed her gently. “I’m glad you shared it with me.”

“Thanks. It’s so peaceful and beautiful.”

They were silent for a few minutes, and Harry said. “Tell me about school. How’s Hermoine?”

“She’s having the time of her life. I thought she was crazy coming back for the seventh year, but I suppose it suits her.”

“Hermione never quits at anything, except for Divination,” Harry said.

Ginny giggled. “Yes, well, she loves school and thrives on homework.”

“So I gather,” Harry said and put an arm around Ginny’s shoulders.

“Still, she could’ve had a job anywhere. Dad said the Minister of Magic was disappointed when she turned down his offer to join the new Muggle Relations Panel.”

“It’ll still be there in a year,” Harry said.

“I know, that’s what dad said Hermione told Kingsley.”

“Your dad is enjoying the panel. He said that Wizard-Muggle relations are already improving.”

“Yeah, he is having fun. His happiness makes Mum happy,” Ginny said. “Even if she still thinks dad is a bit mad.”

Harry chuckled. “I used to think that your mum and dad were completely unsuited to each other, but now I realize they compliment each other.”

Ginny reached down, picked a pebble from the ground, and tossed it into the pool. The water rippled outward and then went smooth as glass once again. “Yeah. Mum once told me that dad keeps her on an even emotional keel, most of the time,” Ginny said with a smirk.

“He does have a talent for talking her around,” Harry said.

“Dad once told me that Mum’s greatest gift is supporting him even if she thinks he’s mad about Muggles.”

“As you support me,” Harry said and reached for her hand. “I couldn’t have done what I did six months ago with your love. I never said thank you for loving me.”

A tear welled up in Ginny’s eye, and she sniffed a little. “I’ve loved you for most of my life, Harry Potter.”

They were silent until the sun began to dip down into the western hills. “Come on,” Harry said. “It’s getting dark, and if you don’t show up for dinner, McGonagal will send me a Howler.”

Ginny rolled her eyes as they went back down the path to the brush that barred the way back to Hogwarts. “She doesn’t know I’m with you.”

“If you’re late, I’m sure she’ll figure out why.”

The underbrush parted as they approached, and soon they reached turnstile. “I wish I could go with you,” Harry said wistfully. “I still miss Hogwarts.”

“The first Quidditch match of the season is next week. We can see each other again.”

“True. I’ll see you in a week.”

“Love you, Harry.”

“I love you too, Ginny.”

“I never get tired hearing you say that, Harry Potter.”

“I like telling you,” Harry said and kissed her. “Now, get back to school. I’ll see you later.

“Yes, sir,” Ginny said and grinned as Harry sniggered.

“Behave, or I’ll send a letter to your Head Girl,” Harry teased.

“Go home,” Ginny gave him a playful shove. “I’m hungry.”

“Then you better get back to the castle,” Harry said.

“I will if you let me,” Ginny said.

“You always have to get the last word, Luv.”

“No, I don’t,” Ginny said.

Harry shook his head and said. “Goodnight, Ginny,” and with a loud crack, he was gone.

Ginny grinned as she hurried back to the castle. Harry always knew how to make her smile.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130622