The Dark and Winding Path by SSHENRY



Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

"He did not feel the way he had so often felt before, excited, curious, burning to get to the bottom of a mystery; he simply knew that the task of discovering the truth about the real Horcrux had to be completed before he could move a little farther along the dark and winding path stretching ahead of him, the path that he and Dumbledore had set out upon together, and which he now knew he would have to journey alone." ~HBP NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN EXTENTION OF THE S.S.POTTER SERIES, BUT IS AN ENTIRELY NEW STORY. Enjoy!
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Post-HBP
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2005.09.23
Updated: 2007.09.20


Index

Chapter 1: THE MOUTH OF THE MATRIX
Chapter 2: THE FIRST TURNING
Chapter 3: THE SECOND TURNING
Chapter 4: THE LEO AND THE LION
Chapter 5: THE THIRD TURNING
Chapter 6: INTERLUDE
Chapter 7: THE FIRST BASTION
Chapter 8: CONFLAGRATION
Chapter 9: REPRIEVE
Chapter 10: A LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS
Chapter 11: INTERLUDE 2
Chapter 12: DISCOVERIES
Chapter 13: UNICURSAL: The Path Unfolds
Chapter 14: THE PORTAL
Chapter 15: THE TUNNEL
Chapter 16: THE SECOND BASTION; Requiem for Rowena
Chapter 17: THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM
Chapter 18: Approaching Center
Chapter 19: The Color of Christmas
Chapter 20: Skirting Center
Chapter 21: INTERLUDE 3
Chapter 22: Chapter 22
Chapter 23: RECOVERY
Chapter 24: Losing Luna
Chapter 25: Hide and Seek
Chapter 26: The Accidental Bastion
Chapter 27: To Your Health
Chapter 28: Thinking It Through
Chapter 29: Turning the Tables
Chapter 31: Hearts & Kisses
Chapter 32: Working the System


Chapter 1: THE MOUTH OF THE MATRIX


“He did not feel the way he had so often felt before, excited, curious, burning to get to the bottom of a mystery; he simply knew that the task of discovering the truth about the real Horcrux had to be completed before he could move a little farther alon






"He did not feel the way he had so often felt before, excited, curious, burning to get to the bottom of a mystery; he simply knew that the task of discovering the truth about the real Horcrux had to be completed before he could move a little farther along the dark and winding path stretching ahead of him, the path that he and Dumbledore had set out upon together, and which he now knew he would have to journey alone."


~HBP




~*~


 












Labyrinth (lab’e rinth’) n. 1. A structure containing an intricate network


of winding passages hard to follow without losing one’s way 2. A


complicated, perplexing arrangement, course of affairs, etc. 3. The


inner ear.


~Webster’s NewWorld Dictionary, 2nd Ed


 


 


 


THE DARK AND WINDING PATH












CHAPTER ONE: The Mouth of the Matrix


 


 


Lupin had been right. The grove of trees on top of the hill overlooking Godric’s Hollow was the perfect place to Apparate. Harry had pictured it in his head a thousand times; Godric’s Hollow. He had seen it as a small, sleepy town along the lines of Ottery St. Catchpole, the town outside of which Ron and Ginny lived.


Ginny . . .


Harry’s hand went automatically to the leather pouch he wore on a cord around his neck as he gazed down on town which was the object of his quest. The softness of the supple leather was as soothing to the touch as thoughts of Ginny were to his troubled mind.


Ginny . . .


It was she that had given him the pouch after bill and Fleur’s wedding . . .


* * *


The wedding had been a phenomenal success by anyone’s standards and not even the scars marring Bill’s once-handsome features could have hidden the happiness bubbling just under the surface. Bill had bounced back remarkably well, his personality as vibrant as ever it had been. Fleur of course had been glowing, dazzling everyone with her wit and open devotion to her intended.


Harry had expected the atmosphere to be subdued, given the tragic events at Hogwarts not even two weeks previously, but everyone involved seemed to be working on some sort of mutual agreement; determined to put the events behind them and get on with living. In a way it was fitting. Bill had nearly died, it was only right that he and Fleur and those they had invited to share their special day should have a chance to celebrate the life that had been given back to him.


Ginny had pulled him aside just after the service; her hair shining red and gold — like living flames in the mid-July sunlight; her pale skin offset dramatically by the shimmering silvery material of her bridesmaid’s dress.


"Harry, I need to talk to you."


He’d been purposefully avoiding her ever since he arrived at the Weasley’s, just in time for the ceremony. He knew Ginny was bound to bring up their last conversation at Hogwarts where he’d told her they could no longer be involved, that it was too dangerous for them to be together. He owed her an explanation, he knew that, yet he wasn’t entirely certain he would be able to explain it in such a way that she would understand. She couldn’t come with him. He couldn’t let her. And besides, as long as he knew that she was here, alive and safe, he had a reason to finish this. He had a reason to finish this and make it back alive. Even if she had gone on with her life by the time he came back, she would still be there, a sort of living symbol of what it was he was fighting for. As for Ron and Hermione . . .


Dumbledore had counseled him to open himself up to his friends, not to isolate himself from those for whom he cared. But how could even Dumbledore have possibly understood?


As much as he appreciated Ron and Hermione’s offer to come with him on his quest for the remaining Horcruxes, Harry knew that he couldn’t let them. The litany that had been repeating itself over and over in his head ever since Dumbledore’s funeral was too insistent;


He must abandon the illusion he ought to have lost at the age of one, that the shelter of a parent’s arms meant that nothing could hurt him. There was no waking from his nightmare, no comforting whisper in the dark that he was safe really, that it was all in his imagination; the last and greatest of his protectors had died, and he was more alone than he had ever been before.


It was time to finish this and it was something he had to do alone.


At the site of Ginny, at the sound of her voice, Harry had felt his heart clench, steeling itself against his sudden and desperate desire to loose himself in her arms; steeling himself against whatever it was she was about to say, what it was she was going to ask him to do.


"Ginny, I wish it didn’t have to be this way, but I can’t -"


"I’m not asking you to," Ginny had said softly, cutting across his protests by placing a finger on his lips. "I know why you’ve been avoiding me, Harry, and I just wanted to tell you that I understand. I know what you have to do and I know why."


Her hand had gone to her throat then, to a white leather cord she was wearing around her neck and she had removed a white leather pouch from the bodice of her dress.


"All I’m asking, Harry, is that you take this with you." She’d slipped the pouch’s cord over Harry’s neck before he could protest.


Harry had fingered the supple leather, swallowing hard as he realized that the pouch was still warm from having been next to her skin. There were various runic symbols etched into the leather of the pouch. Some of them were shimmering slightly; almost as if . . .


"It’s enchanted," she’d said, smiling slightly. "Muggles won’t be able to see it, so you can keep your wand and anything else you don’t want seen, safe."


"You did this?"


"Well, no. Ron made the pouch itself. Nearly sewed his own fingers together, clumsy git. Hermione did the enchantments of course and I, well, there’s something from inside it from me— don’t open it now!" she’d said, her hand closing over his as it made to open the flap of the pouch. "Wait until you’re on the road. I don’t want you changing your mind about this and then blaming me for your lack of willpower."


They knew then. Harry glanced over his shoulder to where Ron and Hermione were standing. Ron’s arm was draped loosely around Hermione’s shoulders, her hand resting lightly on his chest. Did they know how natural they looked together? Had they come to terms yet with the feelings they had for each other? He didn’t think so, not yet. But they would. It was inevitable.


He met Ron’s eye and Ron gave him the shadow of a nod. Go if you must. We’ll be here if you need us.


Harry tried to smile. It was a relief really; they knew and understood. He had to do this alone.


"You’ll never be alone, Harry," Ginny whispered, and Harry felt his gaze snap back onto the slim girl standing beside him. Her eyes were dark . . .and inviting . . .he felt as if he were drowning. . .


"Not really. We’ll be with you no matter where you go, Harry, here . . ." she’d touched the pouch with a finger, then moved her hand until it was resting lightly on his chest, just over his heart. " . . .and here."


He’d kissed her then, there was nothing else for it; kissed her so deeply, so searingly that he knew he was branding her, the roaring beast inside of him marking her as his own for the whole world to see. Voldemort be damned!


Voldemort . . .he would find out about her. He would kill her. He would kill her and then Harry would truly be lost. He couldn’t bear it . . .he couldn’t stand it!


The beast inside him had shrieked in fury as Harry had wrenched himself away from the comfort of her arms. He’d fully expected Ginny to be visibly upset, crying even, but the hard, blazing look on her face said it all; he thought he’d been branding her, but she’d been branding him, claiming him as her own. He could feel the tear of his heart splitting clean in two as he dis-Apparated, leaving a part of himself inside of her forever.


 


* * *


 


He hadn’t gone far at first; only to the clearing behind the Burrow where he, Hermione and the Weasleys had played so many happy games of Quidditch. Here, two days ago in the gnarled roots of an ancient oak tree, Harry had stashed the things he’d be taking with him.


Two changes of clothes, a few toiletries and a light blanket took up half the space in the old leather knapsack he’d nicked from the back of Fred and George’s closet. To this he’d added his invisibility cloak, the fake Horcrux and note he’d taken from Dumbledore’s body that nightmarish night back in June as well as a thick roll of Muggle money he’d exchanged a number of Galleons for the last time he’d been at Gringotts.


While all of this had made for a nearly full pack, it hadn’t been an especially heavy one, so when Harry hefted the pack onto his shoulders, he’d been astounded at how heavy it suddenly seemed. A quick check had told him all he needed to know. Someone (and Harry had a shrewd idea who) had crammed every spare inch of his pack with sealed packages of Fred and George’s newest merchandise; mini-meals ("Just pull the tab and watch your appetite grow!"), along with several bottles of water and two large bars of chocolate.


Harry had grinned in spite of himself. He really did have the best friends in the world. It had taken him only a moment to remove his Firebolt from the lowest branches of the oak where he’d stashed it for safekeeping, but before he could make the next jump in his trip Hedwig had glided out of the trees to land on his shoulder with an admonitory hoot.


"I can’t take you, Hedwig — ow!" yelped Harry, for Hedwig had chosen that precise moment to squeeze Harry’s shoulder with her talons a bit harder than she normally would have done. "Hey, don’t take it wrong girl, but I’ll be Apparating," he said guiltily, stroking her silken feathers with his free hand.


Hedwig gazed at him with baleful amber eyes. She seemed to be reminding him; He was underage. He shouldn’t be Apparating yet. He needed her!


"No, really, I can’t take you with me, not this time."


Harry had sworn loudly as Hedwig nipped his ear with such fierceness that he was certain she’d drawn blood. He couldn’t take her, not without drawing undue attention to himself. It wasn’t fair, she’d always been there for him. Hedwig had been his only friend when he’d been stuck on Privet Drive. He’d stood quietly, thinking hard. He would need a way to communicate with the Order, with Lupin and the others. If he didn’t take Hedwig, how would he be able to get messages to the others . . .unless . . .


"Dobby?" No sooner had Harry said the name, than the elf was at his side with a sharp pop of displaced air.


"Harry Potter called Dobby?"


"Yeah, I did. Dobby, will that work anywhere?"


"Will what work sir?"


"Calling you, like I just did. Say I needed to get a message to someone, if I called Kreacher-"


"Harry Potter needs to be calling Dobby, sir, not nasty Kreacher!" Dobby had said emphatically, his lip curled in distaste.


"But you’re a free elf, Dobby, and I don’t want to infringe-"


"Harry Potter would not be infringing, sir. Dobby is a free elf. Dobby goes where he whishes. He does as he chooses. And he chooses to come when Harry Potter calls, sir."


Harry had given the elf a rather sheepish grin. "Yeah, well, I was kind of hoping you’d say that, Dobby."


Dobby had beamed, his great tennis-ball shaped eyes shining with happiness.


"Anything Harry Potter wishes Dobby to do sir, just say it and Dobby will see that it is done."


"See girl?" Harry had said, addressing Hedwig. "Dobby will be there if I need him.


Hedwig had ruffled her feathers, clicking her beak in the way that clearly meant that she was annoyed with him.


"Please, Hedwig. I need you to stay here. There’s something very important that I need you to do."


Hedwig had given a low, questioning hoot.


"I need you to stay with Ginny, Hedwig. I need you to stay with her in case-" he’d had to swallow hard. He’d almost said ‘in case anything happens to me’. "In case she needs to contact me. I need to know that she can get in touch with me if she needs to. Can you do that for me?"


Hedwig’s expression had seemed to soften at his words. She’d given him an affectionate nip before sticking out her leg.


"No, I don’t think she’ll need a note, Hedwig. If you just show up, she’ll understand."


Hedwig had looked at him for a long moment before taking off into the clear blue sky with only the slightest of pressures on his wrist.


* * *


Had his parents really lived here? Harry wondered as he looked down on the bustling town laid out below him. Somehow the terms ‘Godric’s Hollow’ and ‘bustling town’ had never made any sort of connection in his head. But he had to admit that far from being the sleepy burg he had imagined, Godric’s Hollow was, from the looks of it, a thriving community.


Cars and lorries of all sizes and colors were zipping along the main thoroughfare that wound through the center of the town, past the old stone church and it’s sprawling graveyard, for a good while paralleling a sparkling river. The road and river parted company when they reached a number of older, established houses on well-kept lots that in turn led into the commercial district. Here the late afternoon sunlight glinted off the glass display windows in the storefronts and prisimed into rainbows around the bubbling fountain in the center of the small park. The pavements were littered with afternoon shoppers, all of them intent on their errands. Even from this distance he could see women pushing prams in the park.


On the far side of the park the river joined the road again, slipping beneath a stone bridge that led to a long, low building which, if the bright playground equipment was any indication, was probably the local Primary school and beyond the school, a sprawl of newer, smaller homes.


Harry had been thinking that he would have to wait until dark to slip into town unnoticed, but from the looks of it he would be able to just stroll into town and no one would be the wiser. In Jeans and a T-shirt, with the leather knapsack over his shoulder, Harry knew that he looked enough like a Muggle that no one’s suspicions would be roused. Now, if he could only find a safe place to stash his broom . . .


Struck by a sudden, Hermione-like burst of inspiration, Harry pulled his wand out of the pouch around his neck and muttered a shrinking spell. Even if the Ministry of Magic detected the spell, according to Lupin there were other witches and wizards in the area. It was highly unlikely that they would be able to trace the spell to him. A moment later he was holding a toy broom the size of his wand. He tucked this into the pouch. Then, taking a deep breath he began picking his way down the hillside toward the broad carriageway leading into town.


 


* * *


 


Harry felt the powerful pull of normalcy creep over him as he walked the length of road between the old stone Church and the primary school. There were people everywhere; doing their shopping, carrying packages, pushing prams, chatting animatedly on street corners and under shop awnings; everyday people living everyday, ordinary lives.


I could live here.


He had lived here. He and his parents had lived here. He paused in the park to watch a young woman with long, curly blonde hair pluck her baby out of it’s pram and sit him on the edge of the fountain so he could dabble his fat toes in the cool water. The baby gurgled with happiness, splashing himself and his mother until both of them were laughing. Had his mother done that with him once upon a time?


Had Lily and James perhaps brought him here to this very park on a picnic, like that family he saw sitting on a blanket in the shade of some old and gnarled yew trees? He paused again to watch a pack of small boys in shorts and T-shirts blithely kicking a football back and forth on a smooth, grassy place, watched indulgently by parents lounging on park benches.


What would it have been like to have grown up here? What would it have been like to grow up here with his parents, to have a place like this to come back to on school vacations? He paused again, watching an old couple strolling slowly hand-in-hand on the park path that bordered the riverbank and was amazed to feel tears prickling at the backs of his eyelids. What would it have been like for his parents to grow old together, to grow old together here, where everything seemed so peaceful . . .so ordianary . . .so normal?


"Deceptive normalcy!" he hissed, blinking rapidly as he passed the old couple, crossed the bridge and pulled even with the primary school. Even here, things were not as they appeared. Right here in this very town his parents had been murdered just sixteen years ago. Now what? Somehow he didn’t think that what he was looking for would be on this side of the bridge.


He sat down on a swing and rummaged in his pocket until he found the piece of parchment Lupin had given him. He unfolded it slowly, squinting against the glare of the sun. There, in Lupin’s neat block letters was printed:


Number eleven, Holly Lane, Godric’s Hollow.


That was all fine and good, Harry thought grimly, refolding the parchment and making to tuck it back into his pocket, but how on earth was he supposed to find out where, exactly Holly Lane was located? Harry hesitated, considering, then stowed Lupin’s scrap of parchment in the pouch around his neck instead of his pocket. As he slipped it into the pouch Harry’s fingers brushed another piece of parchment; thick and long and flat.


Ginny’s letter.


He knew it was a letter, and he knew it was from Ginny, but he also knew that he had to wait to read it. He would wait until he was finished here, in Godric’s Hollow. He would wait until he had seen the place where his parents had lived; the place they had lived and where they had died and where they were buried. Only then would he allow himself to read Ginny’s letter.


Harry took a deep breath, taking comfort from the feel of the letter beneath his fingers. If he closed his eyes he could almost convince himself that he could detect a trace of the perfume she wore, that citrusy blend that she always wore.


How hard could it be? He secured the flap of the pouch and got up from the swing, turning back towards town. How hard could it be to find one street in a town no bigger than the average postage stamp? It wasn't as if he were pressed for time after all.


 


* * *


Holly Lane hadn’t been so very difficult to find after all. He’d thought of asking someone, say in the grocer’s or perhaps at the library, but he didn’t want to arouse suspicion. Seeing the library, however, had given him an idea.


The library was an older building made of stone with high, arching windows, it looked as if it might once have been a church. Indeed, it looked as if it were closely related to the old stone church that marked the edge of Godric’s Hollow. Inside though, it was definitely a library. The smell of dust and mildew hit him full in the face as he walked inside, giving him an almost nostalgic longing for the Hogwarts library, even for a glimpse of Madam Pince and her squeaking shoes. He found himself half expecting to see Hermione spread out at one of the long, low tables, her bushy brown hair crackling with the excitement of another assignment properly done.


Just as he’d hoped, directly inside the front doors, hung a handsome map of Godric’s Hollow, complete with street listings and topical references. Holly Lane would have taken him some time to find without the map. The second street on the same side of the carriageway as the church was Oak Drive. This led, in turn to Willow Way and there, branching off of Willow Way was Holly Lane. According to the map, it paralleled the river as it looped away from Godric’s Hollow’s town center, dead ending in the point of land where the river began to loop back toward town and just beyond which the park proper began. If he started back towards the church it would take him only minutes to get there from here.


Three quarters of an hour later Harry stopped at the branch of Willow Way and Holly Lane to take a long drink from his water bottle. The map, he decided, must have been an artistic rendering of the town. Either that or the residential section of Godric’s Hollow was a lot bigger than it appeared to be.


He supposed he was used to Little Whinging, where the houses were laid out in geometric grids, each house situated on the same size lot; each lot laid out in the same straight lines. He’d been walking briskly ages, and the roads had definitely not been straight. Oak Drive had wound up and down several hills before it had intersected with Willow Way, which had looped down into a rather steep valley before branching off into Holly Lane. At least he’d been right about Holly Lane bordering the river.


The houses on Holly Lane were even bigger, if possible, than the large stately homes he had seen on Oak Drive. These were huge old rambling stone affairs, each surrounded by acres of artistically landscaped lawns; lawns dotted with perfectly positioned groupings of trees or cunningly designed terraces.


It took him another twenty minutes to walk the length of Holly Lane. The even numbers were ranged along the right-hand side. The odd numbers bordered the river. There, at the end, between number nine and where number eleven should have stood was a thick boxwood hedge. Neatly trimmed on number nine’s side, the boxwood was absolutely wild on the side which should have belonged to number eleven. The tangle of vines, trees, weeds and overgrown shrubbery that had grown up over number eleven’s plot had even partially reclaimed the low stone wall which had once separated number eleven from Holly Lane.



There was a break in the wall about halfway down its length. It looked actually, as if there had once been a stone arch here. Beyond it the tangle of undergrowth looked a little thinner than it did anywhere else. This, Harry decided, must have been the drive — or perhaps it had been a walkway. Whichever it had been, it still seemed impossible that a mere sixteen years worth of neglect would yield such an unkempt appearance.


"Welcome home, Harry," he murmured out loud before stepping over the remains of the arch and into the shadows inhabiting number eleven Holly Lane.


 


* * *


 


Harry sat on a broad, flat stone beside the smoothly flowing river, watching the sky over the river as the broad band of blue turned briefly orange and pink and magenta before fading slowly to a deep, dusky violet.


It had crossed his mind to break out one of the mini-meals Ron had packed in his bag if for nothing else than to give himself something to do, but had decided against it. He wasn’t really that hungry anymore. Not after . . .Harry swallowed, hard. He’d spent the late hours of the afternoon exploring the grounds and poking through the remains that had once been number eleven, Holly Lane.


There hadn’t been much left of the main structure, merely a stone shell and the foundations on which it had been built. Most of the roof timbers and the supporting structures of the floors and ceilings had collapsed into a heap of rubble that partially filled the basement.


It had been a large house, though not as large as some of the more pretentious structures that lined Holly Lane. It had been composed of only two stories, and probably had looked more like a rambling cottage than a manor house. The way it had been laid out, it must have been spectacular views of the river. In fact, in spite of the undergrowth, he could still discern that there had been several wide terraces leading from the house itself down nearly to the water’s edge. There had also been the more intact remains of several low outbuildings and sheds. Harry had poked about in these for quite a while, uncovering a number of interesting items, though nothing of any particular importance.


It had been strange, poking around in the remains of a house that he knew he had once lived in. The tangle of roses outside the front door (the vines of which were now nearly smothering the front half of the house) gave him a real wrench. Had his mother planted those? How come no one had ever mentioned the fact that she liked roses? How come he’d never asked? He’d continued to scratch about, uncovering a teakettle, a bent candelabrum, and an old rusted cauldron, but nothing that rang a bell.


What was he looking for?


I’ll know it when I see it.


See what?


I don’t know. But there’s something here, something I’m supposed to find.


Just as the light had begun to fail he’d finally given up on the search (not wanting to risk lighting his wand in case he alarmed the neighbors) and had begun instead to look for a place in which he could stay the night. It had been in his reconnaissance of the largest of the outbuildings that he had discovered the thing that had stolen away his appetite.


On the south side of the largest shed was a gnarled old apple tree in which he had discovered the beginnings of a tree house. The platform had been secured in the crotch of the tree some six feet off the ground and hung from this was a rope ladder, which had been secured to the ground so that it wouldn’t swing precariously. It had been obvious, given the piles of lumber stacked on the platform, that this had not been intended to be a simple tree house, but a deluxe model. There had been a rough sketch drawn on one of the boards propped against the trunk. But it had been the words printed below the sketch that had taken his breath away: "Yes, Lily, I’ll make sure to install a hand rail!"


James Potter had been building this tree house. James had been building this from his son. He’d been building it for him! Harry had stood there, his fingers tracing the words for nearly ten minutes, not bothering to wipe away the tears that had begun to flow in earnest. Now, sitting on the riverbank, he felt a powerful sort of longing well up in his chest. This was the life that could have been his, would have been his —if it hadn’t been for Voldemort.


Voldemort . . .


He was the one who had stolen this away. He was the one who had stolen so much away from so many people. Harry felt his fingers tighten painfully around the fake Horcrux he still carried in his pocket. The answer was here, he knew it was; in the note tucked so tightly into the locket; in the initials R.A.B. If whoever R.A.B. was had truly destroyed the locket Horcrux then there was one less Horcrux to worry about. He, Harry would be one step closer to his goal. Voldemort had to be stopped, and it was up to Harry to stop him.


He stood up abruptly, tossing his knapsack over his shoulder and heading back towards the house and the shelter of the apple tree. His time with Voldemort would come, he knew it would, but for tonight, just for tonight, he would pretend that he was small once again and that safety lay just a breath away, in the shelter of a parent’s arms. Tonight he would sleep in the tree house. He had a strange feeling that this was as close to home as he would ever get.


* * *


Harry sat with his chin on his knees, ignoring the tears trickling steadily down his cheeks, unable to tear his gaze away for the unpretentious headstone that bore his parents’ names as well as the date of their death:


Lily and James Potter


1959 — 1981


Harry traced the dates with his finger. Had they been the same age then? He remembered seeing his father in the Snape’s memory. If his mother had been taking her O.W.L.’s at the same time he supposed it wasn’t impossible that they had been the same age. Why had he always thought that his Dad must be older?


With a jolt Harry realized that when his Mother and Father had only been five years older than Harry was right now when they’d died. They’d married young then, although from what he’d seen, that wasn’t completely unusual in the wizarding world.


Harry swallowed, hard. They’d been so young; young and in love and with their whole lives ahead of them. The words inscribed beneath the dates said it all:


partners in a love so strong even death could not divide them


He closed his eyes, letting the cool smoothness of the marble sooth him like a mother’s caress. Who had been responsible for the headstone, surely not Aunt Petunia? She would never have sprung for marble, not for the sister whom she had declared to be a freak. She would have slapped up a granite marker, that is if she’d bothered with a marker at all. No. This was the work of someone who actually cared about Lily and James Potter. Who then, Sirius? No, he would have been in Azkaban by the time Harry’s parents were buried; Lupin then.


Poor Lonely Lupin, howling at the moon in despair of the world that had robbed him of his two best friends in the same night. No wonder he’d gone prematurely gray. Harry shuddered to think what his life would have been like if he hadn’t had Ron and Hermione as friends, or what would happen if he lost them. They were always there for him; making him laugh, helping him out of tight spots. Shit, if he had given them half a chance they’d be here right now, rising their lives for him.


And that was exactly why he was here alone. No one else was going to die to keep him safe. No one; not Ron, not Hermione, and definitely not Ginny. He was stronger with them, he knew that, but they were safer without him, and he didn’t think he could bear it if anyone else he cared about died. They couldn’t die. They were the only things that were keeping him going now.


You’ll never be alone.


Harry’s hand went instinctively to the pouch at his neck at the memory of Ginny’s words. Had she understood then? Had she understood how much he needed them? How much he needed her?


And then he remembered the letter; Ginny’s letter. He removed the thick packet of parchment from the pouch, shook out the pages and began to read;


 


Dearest Harry,


I knew it would come to this. I just hoped it wouldn’t be so soon. It did seem rather like a dream didn’t it, those few weeks that we had together? A dream come true; a dream I’ve been indulging myself in ever since I saw you for the first time on platform 9 ¾ all those years ago.


I meant what I said you know; I understand what you have to do and, more importantly, why you have to do it. ‘Neither can live while the other survives.’ Yes Harry, I know what it was that Voldemort was after at the Ministry of Magic. I know about the Prophecy (no, Ron and Hermione didn’t tell me, give me some credit, I am Fred and George’s sister after all!)


I also know you, Harry, and trust me when I say that killing someone like Lord Voldemort (and you will, there’s no question whatsoever in my mind about that bit) will not make one iota of a difference in how your friends feel about you.


I know that you think killing someone, anyone, even someone as twisted as Tom Riddle (that’s how I knew him best of course) will make you a murderer, but I for one would see you as more of a liberator. Yes, a liberator, for think of all the people you will save from getting murdered once that git’s dead!


I also know you think that by pushing me aside a). you’ll be keeping me out of harm’s way and b). that you’ll make it easier for me to ‘get on’ with my life when you’re gone. So let me make one thing perfectly clear;


IF YOU THINK FOR ONE SECOND THAT I’LL SETTLE FOR ANY OTHER IDIOT ONCE I’VE HAD ‘THE BOY WHO LIVED’ THEN YOU’RE DELUSIONAL!


So understand that if you die out there, my life will go on, yes, but it will go on alone.


As for pushing me aside to keep me out of harm’s way, don’t get too cocky! I’m a Weasley; we’re a marked family, you of all people should know that; we have been for years, generations even!


I could be snuffed tomorrow just because someone wants to get back at my Dad for a decision he made about some damned hiccupping toaster, or because Charlie pissed someone off by losing control of a dragon again like he did when I was eight (long story). And of course there is always the chance that I could be targeted because of who my Mum’s family is, so don’t think that by keeping me away you are going to necessarily keep me safe!


Besides, don’t you realize that it isn’t only my own safety at stake here? Not just mine, not Ron’s, not Hermione’s, not even my family’s. This is about the safety of humanity Harry. Tall order, eh? So don’t be surprised if you find us fighting beside you at the end after all. If it comes down to it you won’t be able to keep us away. You may think this is your battle, Harry, but in truth this battle belongs to every decent human being alive, magic or Muggle. You just have a bigger part to play than most.


And finally, as you do what you must, I want you to keep in mind why you are doing this. You are doing this for your parents, Harry, for the happiness Voldemort stole from them. You are doing this for Sirius and the thirteen years he spent in that hell hole of a prison. You are doing this for Cedric and the life that was stolen from him before it had barely gotten started. You’re doing this for Madam Bones and Bertha Jorkins. Don’t let them have died for nothing.


You’re doing this for Bill, Harry. You’re going to give him and Fleur the chance to raise a beautiful family. You’re giving Lupin and Tonks the chance to find happiness and Moody the chance to enjoy his remaining eye. You’re going to give Ron and Hermione the chance to find each other.


You’re fighting for Neville and that twisted half-smile of his; for Luna and her Crumple-horned Snorkacks; for those two little witches at the Quidditch World Cup, Harry remember? The ones with the toy broomsticks, you’re going to make the skies a safe place for them to fly and you’re going to give the Dracos of the world the opportunity to choose their own destinies.


I know that it won’t be easy, and it sure as hell won’t be fun. There will be times when you want nothing more than to run away and never look back, but you won’t. You’ll fight him, Harry. You’ll fight him and you’ll win and you’ll live to tell about it, and you’ll do that for me because I love you Harry. I love you and I am NOT going to ‘make do’ with anyone else if something happens to you, so don’t get any weird ideas about making some sort of ‘noble sacrifice,’ because heaven help me because if I have to follow you to Hell itself and bring you back myself, then so be it. You’re mine now, Potter. Remember that.


Yours Always,


 


G.M.W


 


 


Harry wasn’t entirely certain as to what exactly it was he had been expecting the letter to say, but the letter had been exactly what he’d needed, and her parting shot — that bit about following him to hell if need be — Harry found himself chuckling aloud as he’d finished reading it. His laughter was strangely loud and out of place in the eerie silence of the shadowy cemetery. Trust Ginny to give him cause to laugh in a graveyard — in the very face of death as it were!


It wasn’t as if his parents would mind after all even if they could hear him, Harry thought musingly. And if Luna was right, if Nearly Headless Nick was right, his Mum and Dad, Dumbledore, Cedric, Sirius even, they weren’t gone, not really. There were there, all of them, waiting for him, waiting for him just beyond that thin black veil. His hand tightened on the letter; his letter; Ginny’s letter which he had refolded after he’d read it through the first time.


She loved him!


The thrill that shot through Harry at this realization nearly knocked him off his feet.


She loved him and he — "I can’t love anyone!" Harry said out loud in a small and miserable voice. If he admitted it, if he let himself love her, she’d be taken away from him; just like his parents and Sirius and Dumbledore.


The thought of Dumbledore, of the kindly face with its too-crooked nose and twinkling light blue eyes stopped Harry in his tracks. Dumbledore had said that it was love that would save him. That it was his, Harry’s capacity to care about others that would prove to be Voldemort’s undoing.


But what sort of love? Harry thought desperately. There were several different kinds, weren’t there? There was the kind he had felt for Dumbledore — as a Mentor, protector and respected friend. And Sirius, that love had been different even than that he had felt for Dumbledore; more like that of a big brother — almost a father figure. Was that enough to be getting on with? But hadn’t it been the thought of never seeing Ron and Hermione again that had saved him when he was in the grip of the red-eyed beast?


Harry shivered involuntarily at the thought of what his life would have been like without his two best friends. The three of them had been inseparable for the last six years. He’d given both of them the opportunity to distance themselves from him, but they hadn’t taken him up on his offer. They were in this now, nearly as deep as Harry himself. There wasn’t a soul at Hogwarts that didn’t know how he felt about Ron and Hermione. But as for Ginny . . .


He’d thought to give her the same chance he had given Ron and Hermione, but if her letter was to believed, ("I love you and I am NOT going to ‘make do’ with anyone else if something happens to you, so don’t get any weird ideas about making some sort of ‘noble sacrifice,’ because heaven help me because if I have to follow you to Hell itself and bring you back myself, then so be it. You’re mine now, Potter. Remember that") then she’d already made her decision to stand by him — beside him — no matter what.


That didn’t mean he would put consciously put her — or anyone else he cared about — in harm’s way, that’s why he was alone after all. But surely, if they knew what they were risking by caring about him, if they chose to care about him anyway, surely that meant that he was allowed to care about them as well?


Harry unfolded Ginny’s letter and read it through again.


She loved him.


"I love you too Gin," Harry whispered, hoping against hope that wherever she was right now, whatever she was doing, that somehow she would hear him and understand.


 


 



Back to index


Chapter 2: THE FIRST TURNING







The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.


-J. R. R. Tolkien



~*~



CHAPTER TWO: THE FIRST TURNING



 


Harry wasn’t entirely certain as to what he had expected to discover by coming to Godric’s Hollow, but by the end of his fourth day he was clear on one thing; until he knew what it was he was looking for here, he was wasting his time. Even the mirror couldn’t help him.



He’d found the mirror buried beneath a heap of pulpy wood and rotting fabric that had probably passed as a bed or possibly a sofa in it’s previous life. Its frame had long ago fallen off, but the reflective surface was still intact with only a thin spider-web of a crack marring its appearance. Of course he’d nearly dropped it in surprise when his dirt-smudged reflection had let out a congested, barking sort of cough.



"Took you long enough dearie," it wheezed, brushing dirt out its hair even as it tried to polish the inside of the reflective surface with its sleeve.



Harry had taken the hint and used an old T-shirt from his pack to clean off the worst of the accumulated muck and grime.



"Have you been here this whole time?" Harry asked, starring at his disheveled reflection in stunned disbelief.



It smirked at him, raising an eyebrow. "What do you think?"



"Err . . ."



"Stumped the boy hero, did I?" crowed the reflection, its smirk broadening. Harry stared at himself uneasily. There was something in the smirk that reminded him disturbingly of Draco Malfoy.



At the thought of the boy who had been Harry’s sworn enemy since their first train ride to Hogwarts, Harry felt the unmistakable heat of anger creeping up his neck. Malfoy . . . who had been responsible for cursing Katie with that damned necklace . . .who had nearly killed Ron by giving Slughorn the poisoned wine as a gift . . .Malfoy, who had been responsible for trying to kill Dumbledore and who, in the end, had succeeded, even if someone else had ended up doing it for him.



"Disturbed you did I?" said the mirror softly, reaching out one finger as if it could reach through the glass and touch Harry’s face.



Harry flinched reflexively and his reflection chuckled appreciatively.



"Fear and Anger." The mirror’s quiet tone was contemplative now, almost sad. "Not a good mix Mr. Potter, not good at all."



"What are you?" asked Harry before he could help himself. He knew what it was after all; a mirror. It was just a mirror, and a mirror couldn’t hurt him, could it?



"I’m you," said his reflection, shrugging delicately and sticking its hands in its pockets.



"I- I mean, when no one’s here. When there’s nothing to reflect, what are you then?"



"I just -am," said the mirror with a half smile. "I simply exist until it is time to reflect."



"Not doing a very good job of it, are you?" said Harry, looking critically at his reflection which was now slouched against the inside of the frame as if it had the weight of the world on it’s shoulders, its hands still jammed in its pockets. Harry himself was standing upright, his arms crossed against his chest, watching his reflection through narrowed eyes.



"My job is to reflect the truth, Mr. Potter, whether it can be seen on the outside or not."



"What do you mean?" asked Harry, his breath catching in his chest as the reflection’s eyes slowly took on a red glow, its pupils narrowing into snake-like slits. "Oh my god!"



"That is what I see in your mind. It is what you fear the most," said the mirror conversationally, shaking itself like a dog after a bath, its features once more reflecting those Harry was so familiar with. "You are afraid that he will use you; possess you, like he did at the Ministry-"



"That’s not-" began Harry, but stopped as his reflection raised a hand to stem his flow of words.



"Possess you, and then use you to hurt those you care most about," finished his reflection.



Harry, who had opened his mouth to protest, closed it again.



"How – How did you know?" he asked finally, eyeing the mirror suspiciously.



"I told you," said the mirror tiredly. "I reflect the truth. It doesn’t matter if you believe it’s the truth or not. I say what I see; whether it is a first gray hair or a love bite whose owner has tried to cover it with makeup, or the deep and abiding fear of hurting those you care about that you seem so intent on denying."



"I’m not denying-"



"Please, Potter. Why do you think you’re here alone?"



"I – well I-"



"Exactly."



"But it’s for their own good," Harry whispered.



"That’s what you keep telling yourself," snapped the mirror.



"Well, it’s true!" Harry insisted. "They are safer without me, and besides, I’m not going to be very good company until I’ve figured this damned thing out."



"You know, Potter," said the mirror quietly, regarding Harry with an expression very much like pity, "there was once a wise man who said; The glory of friendship is not in the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is in the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."



"Ralph Waldo Emerson," said Harry automatically, then did a double take. "When did you ever read Emerson?"



"I didn’t," said the mirror, the smirk once more firmly in place, "you did."



* * *



Harry had thought that he’d have to leave the mirror when he moved on, but then had decided to ply it with the same charm he’d used on his broomstick and shrink it down to an easily manigable size. No point in leaving it around for the Muggles to find after all.



His reflection had muttered incessantly about "the indignity of it" until Harry had silenced it by wrapping it tightly in the dirty black T-shirt he’d used to wipe it clean and sticking it into the bottom of his pack.



He had, until his conversation with the mirror, been at a loss where to look next in his search for the remaining Horcrux’s. But in the end, it was something the mirror had said that had helped him make up his mind. It had gotten him thinking. . . remembering where he’d been when he’d read the words the mirror had quoted at him . . .realizing that there was someone he needed to talk to . . .something he had left undone.



 


Harry spent one last night in the tree house, taking comfort in the now-familiar night sounds around him; the babble of the river, the chirping of the crickets and voice-like rustlings of the wind in the trees; like a small child clutching a well-loved blanket or teddy-bear to it’s chest.



He was up before dawn, eating quickly; one of the mini-meals Ron had packed for him. A quick dip in the river; with the hot air trick of Hermione’s to dry him off, some clean clothes from his pack and he was ready to go.



With a final look around him, Harry took leave of number eleven Holly Drive. He’d be back. There was something here that he was supposed to find. He could feel it, like a splinter in his mind. But somehow, instinctively, he also knew that it was not yet time. His path would lead him back here, oh yes, he was almost as certain of that as he was of where he needed to go next – and it was the last place on earth that he wanted to go.



* * *



Privet Drive looked just the same as it ever did. The neat square houses squatted squarely on their neat, square lots, all of them looking rather out of place in the surrealist colors of an unusually vivid Thursday morning sunrise.



Harry, who had seen plenty of sunrises over Privet Drive, felt that he was well-qualified to judge. It wasn’t simply unusually vivid, but downright spectacular. So clear! The air seemed to have crystallized somehow, the colors refracted, purified, until each shade of pink and magenta; every orange and yellow stood out from the rest with startling clarity. He could feel the colors burning into his skin, searing into his bones until his very brain seemed to be on fire with the intensity of it. Had he ever seen anything properly before?



The color and splendid clarity of light acted on his soul much like Phoenix song, in that suddenly he felt lighter, braver, as if every fear had fallen away, leaving only the color and light and sound . . .



Sound?



He could have sworn that he had heard the briefest snatch of Phoenix song, but it couldn’t be. . .not here . . .not on Privet Drive . . .



Fawkes?



Harry swiveled about, squinting back over his shoulder, toward the west where the dark purple shadows of night were fast being overlaid with streaks of chartreuse and vermilion; nothing.



He turned slowly in a circle, breathing deeply, his eyes absorbing the light, ears listening hard for even the smallest scrap of music; but the silence was so deep he wondered for a moment if he was still asleep. Never, even in the earliest hours of the morning, had Privet Drive ever been as perfectly silent as it was at this moment.



"A tribute to the sunrise," Harry murmured, then winced. He had broken the spell. Whatever toehold magic had held over Privet Drive, however briefly, was gone. As if someone had flipped a switch, Harry was suddenly aware of the swishing of traffic on Magnolia Drive; of the underlying hum of the power wires and the incessant barking of a dog from somewhere in the vicinity of the play park. The vivid colors of sunrise were fading into an indistinct blue. Somewhere nearby a car door slammed and Harry came to himself with a start.



It wouldn’t do for him to be seen lurking around number four, especially by Uncle Vernon who (Harry glanced at his watch) would be leaving for work in a little less than an hour.



 


* * *



It wasn’t that Harry was afraid of Vernon Dursley. He hadn’t been truly afraid of his Uncle in years. But there was something he needed to know; something he should have asked a long time ago. He had to talk to his Aunt. He had to know the truth about some things and he had the distinct feeling that it was not something that she either would not, or could not bring herself to speak of them in front of her husband. So Harry would stay out of sight, lay low, until his Uncle had left for the day, Dudley too, come to think of it. Harry didn’t put it past that porky son-of-a bitch to call for his Daddy if he were to catch site of Harry after they thought he was gone for the summer.



A tabby cat had once perched on the very wall Harry was sitting on, though he couldn’t have known it. The cat had most definitely caught Vernon Dursley’s attention when he’d come home that fateful Tuesday sixteen years ago. Uncle Vernon, however, didn’t so much as blink at the tall, black-haired, bespectacled boy perched on it now; though the fact that the boy was hidden by an invisibility cloak probably had a lot to do with his inability to see him.



Harry had been sitting there, waiting, for the better part of an hour, and, in spite of the promising warmth of another perfect July day, was definitely beginning to feel the night chill of the stone even through the fabric of his jeans. It was a relief to finally see Uncle Vernon step across the threshold, looking every inch a businessman in his light-gray suit, and to see him climb purposefully into his light-gray sedan, take a moment to adjust the mirrors precisely, then rumble away toward the interchange into the city, leaving a light gray plume of exhaust in the air behind him.



Dudley emerged half an hour later, a knapsack slung over one shoulder. Aunt Petunia stood behind him in the shadow of the doorway, watching his progress down the garden walk.



"Be careful Diddy."



Harry, with a clear view of Dudley’s face, saw him wince at the endearment.



"See you tonight, mum."



"Will you be back for supper?"



"Don’t think so," grunted Dudley. "Supposed to be going to Gordon’s."



"You know, I really wish you’d let me have all the boys over for supper one night. It’s really not fair, you’re at one or another of their houses all the time."



"S’okay Mum, really." Dudley waved a ham-like hand over his head and took off at top speed.



He didn’t hear his mother’s heavy sigh, but Harry did. The look on Petunia Dursley’s face as she watched her son disappear around the corner of Privet Drive and Magnolia Crescent was one of mixed pride, concern and a sadness so deep it could almost be called despair.



While his aunt was sweeping off the front walk (an unalterable part of her morning routine) Harry slipped through the still open front door, removed his invisibility cloak, stuffed it in his knapsack, and helped himself to a cup of coffee.



He was halfway through the morning paper (which Uncle Vernon had left on the kitchen table) when his Aunt walked back into the kitchen, glanced once at Harry where he sat at the kitchen table, staring at her over the top of the Daily Mail. But instead of starting, or screaming, or even yelling at him to get out as he’d half expected, she walked directly to the kitchen sink where she proceeded to wash her hands thoroughly.



"I was wondering when you’d be back," she said calmly as she dried her hands on a kitchen towel.



Harry remained silent, waiting as his aunt finished drying her hands before pouring herself a cup of coffee and joining him at the table.



"Then you know why I’m here?"



His aunt shrugged delicately, raised the cup to her pursed lips and took a sip. "I knew that you would be wanting answers," she put the cup down with a clink of china, "answers that only I have, now that that old fool is dead. And, since you’re leaving for good this time, I don’t see the harm in answering them."



Harry twisted his hand in his lap, resisting the urge to reach across the table and toss the remains of her coffee in Aunt Petunia’s thin, horsy face. Instead he steeled himself and asked; "how did you know that he’s dead?"



Aunt Petunia raised her lightly penciled eyebrows. "I’m not completely stupid you know."



Swallowing an instinctive retort, Harry remained silent, fists clenched beneath the table, waiting for her to continue.



"He – he didn’t come this year," she said finally, in such a low voice that Harry could barely hear her.



"What do you mean he didn’t come?" said Harry sharply. "He’s come here before? Dumbledore I mean?"



"Every summer; well, ever since Dudley turned two."



"What for?" Harry blurted bluntly.



"To renew the spell," said Aunt Petunia with a slight grimace. "Every year, like clockwork he’d come to the house the day before your school ended."



"Was he renewing the protection charm?"



"Protection charm?" repeated Aunt Petunia, frowning slightly. "No, the memory charm."



"What memory charm?" asked Harry stupidly.



"The memory charm," repeated his Aunt in a matter-of-fact sort of voice. "The one he does every year on Dudley.



Dudley? Harry gaped openly at his Aunt, not even attempting to conceal the surprise in his face.



"Come again?" he managed finally.



"Do you think I did this for you?" spat his Aunt, her narrow face twisting with dislike. "Do you think I would have willingly put my own life – not to mention the lives of my son and husband – do you really think I would have put them at risk to take you in after what happened to James and Lily? After what happened to my parents?"



Her voice was quivering with fury and, for the first time in his life Harry saw in her face not merely dislike and annoyance with him, but a pure, unadulterated hatred that chilled him to the bone.



"I-"



"Everything’s about you, isn’t it?" said his aunt bitterly.



"What are you-"



"Just like your mother. She was only thinking of herself, of her reputation as an Auror. She didn’t think about the consequences, did she, when she and her idiot husband stood up to Him. She killed them Harry."



"She killed who?"



"Our parents." Aunt Petunia was staring at him, daring him to challenge her.



 


"Don’t be ridiculous! My Mum wouldn’t have killed her own parents," said Harry heatedly.



"As good as." Aunt Petunia shrugged. "If she hadn’t been what she was-"



"What, a witch?" asked Harry innocently and was rewarded by seeing his aunt flinch as if he’d threatened to hit her.



"A freak."



"Look, Aunt Petunia, I don’t see what my Mum being a witch has to do with your parents being killed."



"Don’t you?" replied his aunt acidly.



. . .born to those who have thrice defied the Dark Lord . . .



"You mean Voldemort killed your parents – my Mum’s parents - because of my Mum and Dad stood up to him?"



"He couldn’t get to them, could he? Too smart they were. He couldn’t get to them directly, but he had his ways, oh yes, he had his ways."



Harry stared at his aunt, unblinking, a whole army of emotions vying for prominence in his brain. It hadn’t been his mother Aunt Petunia had been remembering that night in the kitchen when Harry had told the Dursleys about the return of Lord Voldemort. She’d been remembering her parents.



"I’m the one who found them you know," said Aunt Petunia finally, her voice so low that Harry had to lean forward to hear her. "I was still living at home then. Vernon and I had been out . . ." her voice trailed off and Harry wasn’t surprised to see the lone tear trailing down his aunt’s cheek. She shuddered involuntarily and then said in a bitterly furious voice. "I swore right then and there that I would have nothing to do with the magical world ever again."



That explained a lot, thought Harry silently. Her refusal to answer questions, her aversion to any mention of magic, even the punishments that had been meted out every time he did something unexplainable by mistake. But one thing it didn’t explain . . .



"Aunt Petunia," said Harry quietly, "if you swore off of any contact with the magical world, why would you have agreed to take me in when my parents died?"



"I didn’t do it for you, if that’s what you were wondering," she said, chuckling humorlessly, "anymore than I did it for my freak sister."



"Then why . . .?"



"I did it for Dudley," said his aunt a last, a beatific smile gracing her face.



Harry blinked. Of all the answers he had imagined, his Aunt’s doing it for big, porky, self-absorbed Dudders was the thing he would have imagined her saying. He thought she’d say that she’d done it out of some warped sense of family pride, or . . .or . . .



"For Dudley?" murmured Harry incredulously.



"Agreeing to take you in was the only way I could ensure he had anything resembling a normal life."



Harry was feeling very slow and stupid as he tried to wrap his brain around what his Aunt was saying but it just didn’t make any sense. He would have thought that taking him in was the last thing Aunt Petunia would have wanted.



"I – I don’t understand."



"Why am I not surprised?" said his aunt waspishly. She sighed then, and rubbed her temples as if she were warding off a headache. "But it doesn’t matter now. He’s too old now for it to make a difference."



"Dudley’s too old for what to make a difference?"



"I knew it before he was born even. He talked to me, while I was still carrying him."



"Who talked to you?"



"Dudders of course."



"He talked to you, before he was born?"



"It was more like a voice in my head," said Aunt Petunia, shrugging. "All during the pregnancy, he’d tell me what he needed . . . what he wanted; food, exercise. And then, that whole first year he’d just sort of do things."



"What sort of things?" Harry managed. But he knew. Somehow, before his aunt said even one more word Harry knew what she was going to say.



"Strange things," whispered his aunt in a barely audible voice. She shivered again and then wrapped both hands around her coffee cup as if trying to warm herself. "He dropped a toy once. He was in his playpen and I was across the room. I was going to get it for him – it was his favorite, the rubber elephant, you know?"



Harry shook his head slowly, unwilling to speak unless he broke the spell that was keeping his aunt talking.



"Well, before I could finish what I was doing, it was soaring through the air right into his hands. That happened lots of times after that. Sometimes things that I knew were still in his toy box would suddenly just appear, right in his playpen. And then there was the baby food . . ."her voice trailed away, sounding horrified.



"I’d be feeding him a jar of green beans, or beets, lord how he hated beets!" she was smiling slightly now, but her lip was still curled as if even that happy memory could not erase what the horrors she was about to relate. "And I’d put the spoon in and it would have changed . . .into sweet potatoes or squash, once even into chocolate pudding. I thought the first time that I must be hallucinating, but I know I wasn’t, because there were still green beans on the spoon!"



Harry chanced a glance at his aunt. She looked pale, pinched, and absolutely horrified at the memories she was dredging up.



"But that wasn’t the worst of it," she said quietly, as if confessing some horrid and grievous sin. "The worst thing happened the July after Dudders turned one." His aunt took a deep, shuddering breath, and then began to talk very rapidly, as if saying it fast would somehow blunt the horror of it.



"We’d taken a beach house in Brighton; two weeks of holiday. Do you know how hard it is to get Vernon to take a break from those retched drills? Anyway, a week into our stay and Dudley was having problems sleeping. He missed his old bed I think, because one night I woke up to hear him screaming. Then the screaming cut off abruptly, like someone had flipped a switch. By the time I got into his room he was gone!"



"Gone?"



"Just -gone. He was barely walking and there was no way he could have gotten out of his crib. I thought – I thought someone must have taken him, but all the doors and windows were still locked."



"Let me guess," said Harry dryly. "He’d gone home?"



"He was sound asleep in his own bed," admitted Aunt Petunia shakily. "I called that mad Fig woman; she has a spare key in case of emergencies. She went in and sure enough, there he was, sleeping like a baby angel."



Harry wasn’t certain if he wanted to scream or laugh. Dudley, a wizard? But if what she was saying was true – and he didn’t see why it couldn’t be, his mother and Aunt Petunia had been sisters after all - why hadn’t Dudley gotten a letter from Hogwarts too? Unless . . .



"You made a deal with Dumbledore, didn’t you?" said Harry suddenly, not caring anymore if the subject were hurting his aunt’s feeling or not. "When he asked you to take me in?"



"He agreed to strike Dudley’s name off the list," said Aunt Petunia in a wavery voice. "And to wipe his memory so he wouldn’t remember anything about having any sort of unnatural talent."



"Didn’t work though, did it?" asked Harry, guessing the truth.



Aunt Petunia was shaking her head. "No. It kept, I don’t know, coming back to him I guess. So he, Dumbledore, began doing the charm every year, every summer. Of course it wasn’t fool proof. Just because Dudley could no longer remember anything about having unnatural talents didn’t mean that every now and then he wouldn’t do something by mistake."



And that, Harry realized, was why they had punished him so badly every time he had done magic. They wanted to reinforce in Dudley’s brain just how unnatural anything even remotely magical was. By making him, Harry into a scapegoat, a sort of model of everything they despised about magic they would deter Dudley from doing magic himself, however inadvertently.



And that, Harry thought triumphantly, was most likely what the Dementors had forced Dudley to remember – all the times he had acted unnaturally by doing the magic that his parents so despised. He would have thought that he was loosing his mind.



"And this year he didn’t come," said Aunt Petunia softly, taking a sip of the now stone-cold coffee and curling her lip in disgust. "And then I got a letter from that werewolf fellow-"



"Lupin?



Aunt Petunia pushed the cup away from her across the table while Harry wracked his brain trying to remember when he’d ever mentioned Lupin’s being a werewolf to his Aunt or Uncle.



"The letter came just a few days before you came home. Lupin. Yes. His first name was Richard or Regulus or-"



"Remus," Harry corrected.



"That’s it. Yes. He was a friend of your fathers," she said, nodding. "He didn’t know all that was involved. I don’t think he knew anything about Dudley, but he knew that Dumbledore had been in contact with me, that I had made an agreement with him to take you in. He thought I had a right to know."



"So – what’s going to happen now?" Harry wondered, staring at the rings on his aunt’s bony hands as if mesmerized. Lupin had written to his aunt? Why had he taken it on himself to act in Dumbledore’s behalf?



"You’re going to leave for one," said his aunt decidedly. "You’re going to leave this house, and you’ll never come back. Don’t you think I know what this means? Dumbledore is dead! Any protection he put on this place – on you – will be gone, or at the very least, weakened."



Harry opened his mouth to argue; didn’t she realize that the protection came from the blood bond that he shared with her? That Harry’s strongest protection was in his mother’s blood? He closed it again with a snap. It didn’t matter anyway. Not now. Not now that he knew that his aunt had taken him in not out of good will, or of love for her sister, but purely as a means of protection for her son.



. . .as long as you can call home the place where your mother’s blood lives . . .



Privet Drive was no longer his home. It never had been, not really, he understood that now.



"So, what’s going to happen to Dudley," Harry asked without thinking. "I mean, now that Dumbledore is no longer putting the memory charms on him?"



Aunt Petunia shrugged. "I’ve already talked to the school counselor. She’s arranged for therapy sessions, just in case he goes into remission."



"You make it sound like a disease," said Harry bitterly.



"Well it certainly isn’t normal!" retorted his aunt, turning on him with flashing eyes. "Besides, I don’t think he remembers any of it now. It’s been years since he’s done anything . . .well . . .unusual. I don’t think he remembers any of it now."



Harry, who was thinking of a certain alleyway between Magnolia Crescent and Wisteria Walk two summers ago, wasn’t so sure. There had definitely been something Dudley had been remembering . . .and he doubted very much if had anything to do with the damned boxing title.



"Aunt Petunia, if you want, I could ask someone to come and do the charms."



"No!" His aunt’s voice was furious. "No one else knows! If they knew – they might – they might change him . . .they might take him away!" She broke down entirely then, sobbing uncontrollably into the hem of the tablecloth. "He’s all I have left, Harry, don’t you see? I can’t loose him too!"



Harry watched her for a full minute before getting to his feet. There was no point in staying. His aunt had told him all she knew. He had always known that she didn’t love him, but somehow, deep down inside, he’d always hoped that in some small way she actually cared about him. Another dream shattered.



Sighing deeply, Harry stood up and carried his coffee cup to the sink. There was nothing left for him here. Everything he owned was either in his pack, or in his Hogwarts trunk under Ron’s bed. Memories were all that was left, and most of those he’d rather not keep.



He didn’t know why, but on his way out the door he leaned down and kissed his Aunt Petunia on her bony cheek.



"Thank you," he said softly, tasting tears made all the more bitter for his knowledge that not one of them was for him. She had saved his life. Grudgingly maybe, bitterly perhaps, even resentfully, but there it was.



As he stepped out onto Privet Drive, Harry felt as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He was free of Privet Drive forever! Free! God, he couldn’t imagine coming back here to live after leaving this place for good. Poor Sirius, what torture that must have been, to have to go back to Grimmauld Place after he thought he was free of it forever.



Sirius.



Harry tightened his fingers around the fake Horcrux. He didn’t need to open the locket to be reminded of what the note said; the one that had been signed with the initials R.A.B.



Yes! Why hadn’t he thought of it before? Grimmauld Place. It was the logical place to begin looking for the Horcrux that had cost Albus Dumbledore his life.



 



Back to index


Chapter 3: THE SECOND TURNING





"There are places and moments in which one is so completely alone that one sees the world entire."


-Jules Renard, Journal, December, 1900



~*~



 


CHAPTER THREE: THE SECOND TURNING



 


 


The battered black door closed behind Harry with an ominous thud, punctuating the absolute silence of number twelve Grimmauld Place with a disturbing finality.



Harry waited a full minute in the dark, taking deep, steadying breaths of the dank, musty air in order to calm his nerves; nerves which were strung so tight it was a wonder that his heart hadn’t leapt out of his chest in protest.



He didn’t want to be here.



The last time he had been here — well, the last time his head had been here — he’d been looking for Sirius. Sirius had been alive; upstairs in this very house, taking care of Buckbeak.



Harry had been looking for Sirius. He’d demanded an answer from Kreacher as to his master’s whereabouts and Kreacher had lied to him, leading him to believe that Sirius had gone to the Ministry of Magic. Thank heavens the little beast was at Hogwarts. If he hadn’t been, Harry wasn’t entirely certain that he would have been able to control his temper. He wasn’t here however, and for a brief moment Harry teetered between wondering which was worse, being here with Kreacher, or being here alone.



"Lumos," whispered Harry, drawing his wand. The wand tip ignited instantly, casting the contents of the downstairs hall into sharp relief. He was relieved to note that Mrs. Black’s Portrait was still covered by its heavy drapes; last thing he wanted was to wake that beastly woman up. Let her snooze on for another decade or two.



Harry stepped cautiously into the Parlor, holding his wand out in front of him like a light saber. "Come to the dark side, Luke," he muttered, then shivered. Here, in this place, the reality of Dark Magic was disturbingly real.



The parlor looked exactly as it had the last time Harry had seen it, albeit a bit dustier. The de-doxied drapes still hung limp and lifeless at the grime-streaked windows (the grime was on the outside, he could testify to that. Mrs. Weasley had subjected the windows like everything else to a thorough cleaning). The writing desk stood quiet and unmoving against the far wall. And there, there on the wall hung the Black Family Tree of which Sirius had been so disparaging.



Not trusting himself with the gas lamps, Harry walked closer to the tapestry, holding his wand before him so that it illuminated the tiny embroidered names and gold connecting threads. There, the burn hole where Sirius’s Mum had removed Sirius’s name and there, next in line;


Regulus Alphard Black, 1961 — 1980



Harry traced the stitching of the name with one finger; R.A.B. "I found you!" Harry whispered into the darkness. It looked as if young Regulus had not only gotten cold feet, but had decided to undermine his previous master in the only way he knew how.



But if Voldemort guarded the slivers of his soul so carefully, how had Regulus found out about the Horcrux in the first place? More to the point, what had he done with it after he had removed it from its hiding place? And even more specifically, had he gotten around to destroying it before Voldemort had destroyed him? (And Voldemort would have destroyed him, probably personally if he suspected that the turncoat had any information that could be used against him).



Oh yes, it looked as if the ‘right little hero’ as Sirius had so lovingly called him, had been more important in the scheme of things than his big brother could possibly have imagined.



"Come on buddy," Harry whispered, rubbing his finger over the raised embroidery. "Cough it up now. Tell me where you stashed it."



As if in response to his words there was a sudden rustling slithering sort of sound from behind the baseboards. Harry took a step backwards, lowering his wand till the light was pointed at age-warped gap between the baseboard and the floor. A brief impression of eyes on a low-slung body drove him back another step. The eyes blinked, and then were gone with another shivery, slithering sound that made the hair on the back of Harry’s neck stand up.



"What the hell?" He turned in a complete circle, his wand falling on the chair (still stained from the bag of bloody rats Sirius had dropped there) finally lighting on a thick book standing on an end table. There, winking up cheekily at him from the cover, was a handsome blonde wizard with a dazzling smile.



Gilderoy Lockhart’s Guide to Household Pests



"Bingo!" Harry flipped open the ornately bound book, grinning at what Ron would think when he told him that there had actually been a time he’d been grateful to see Lockhart’s ingratiating grin.



"Boomslang, Bowtruckles, Bugbear, Bandimuns, ha!" He ran his finger over the corresponding passage, reading out loud as he went. "Greenish fungus with eyes. Ergh! No wonder it seemed low to the ground! An infestation of Bundimuns can destroy a house, as their secretions rot away the foundations. This same secretion, in diluted form, is used in some magical cleaning solutions. Weird!" Following the brief description was a series of steps one could take. It looked nearly as involved as some of the potions Harry had done for Slughorn the previous year.



"I don’t have time for this!" he groaned, reading the step that would take two whole days to complete. If he didn’t take care of it (and there was no doubt in his mind that the creature he had glimpsed was indeed a Bandimuns) then it would most likely leave Grimmauld Place in a shambles. But his first priority was the Horcrux. He had to find it. He had to find it and destroy it or verify that it had already been rendered harmless.



Suppose for a minute that he ignored the Bandimuns and went after the locket. Where should he start looking? Where would Regulus have stashed a piece of Lord Voldemort’s soul? As if in response to his question, the words Sirius had uttered in this very room, almost on this very spot seemed to reverberate inside of Harry’s head;



"It’s ideal for headquarters, of course. My father put every security measure known to Wizard-kind on it when he lived here."



Of course! Regulus had been just nineteen years old when he’d died, barely two years out of Hogwarts, and his parents had not only known about his being a Death Eater, but had been supportive of his cause. He would have brought home, here to Grimmauld Place! Harry threw his head back and began to laugh, the sound reverberating through the empty rooms like a dozen Harry’s all laughing together.



"Watch out Mr. Mold!" Harry called, brandishing his wand at the floorboards where he had seen the Bandimuns. "It looks as if I’ll have time for you after all!"



 


* * *



 


Harry stood upright, wincing as his back protested its change of position. He’d been bent nearly double over this damn cauldron for most of the day. And he thought Snape’s potions had been fiddly! This one had took the cake.



He’d found all of the ingredients in a shallow cupboard carved into the side of the great stone fireplace in the basement kitchen, and had gone to work, silently blessing the Half Blood Prince for having at least taught him patience in Potion-making.



The potion was just the first step in ridding the house of the Bandimuns. It now had to be injected into the walls, using a clever little charm that Lockhart had conveniently included in the footnotes. As he made his way through the house lugging the cauldron from room to room, muttering the incantation under his breath and using his wand to inject the potion into the moldering walls, Harry wondered vaguely what witch or wizard’s memory had been wiped clear so that Lockhart could take credit for this useful little household charm.



That was it then. Now all he had to do was wait for 48 hours before reversing the charm so as to remove any residue. (According to the footnotes, any residue left inside the walls would reanimate within 24 hours). The protection ingredients included in the potion would continue to work for a whole year and the potion itself could be stored indefinitely, so Harry had made sure to pour the rest of the cauldron’s contents into a stoppered bottle. He was planning on using those 48 hours to begin searching for the locket, and he knew just where to start.



* * *



With a vague sense of uneasiness, Harry surveyed the nearly empty shelves of the glass fronted cabinets in the parlor. He remembered that long afternoon he and Hermione and the Weasleys had spent cleaning out these cupboards.



He’d nearly been bitten by those damned walking tweezers, and hadn’t there been a box of wartcap powder? Sirius’s hand had looked like a nasty brown glove after coming in contact with it. And a music box that played an odd, tinkling tune that had made them all sleepy and listless; except for Ginny, who had slammed the lid on the box so fast she’d nearly caught Ron’s fingers in it. But hadn’t there been a locket? Hadn’t there been a locket that no one could open?



What had happened to all the stuff they’d mucked out of these cabinets, anyway? He’d seen Fred and George nick some of the stuff; the wartcap powder for one, and a box of small, marble like spheres that Sirius had called "tremblors," as well as a small sack of what he now knew was the Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder that Death Eaters had used at Hogwarts with such effectiveness. But what on earth had happened to the locket?



"Please tell me it didn’t go in the rubbish sacks!" Harry murmured out loud.



It didn’t look promising. All that was left in the glass-fronted cupboards were a number of highly polished but rather plain looking stones in a shallow wooden bowl, a tarnished brass key ring bristling with an assortment of brass and silver keys in a variety of sizes, a number of empty crystal phials, a stack of saucer-sized wooden discs and a plain wooden box that was filled with what looked like porcupine quills.



"What the hell happened to the rest of the stuff?" It was true that a good bit had been thrown out, but those things that were not obviously cursed or related to dark magic had been put to one side. Harry had assumed that Sirius had put those items back into the cabinets, but perhaps he had stored it somewhere else.



Harry sighed, thinking of the three floors (not including the basement or attic) with all their cupboards, cabinets, wardrobes and odd niches, any of which could be housing the item he was looking for.



"Well, no time like the present," he told a fat black spider crouched on the wall just above his head. And who knew, perhaps he’d stumble across something else that could be of use to him in his search for the remaining Horcruxes; some sort of hint, or clue.



 


* * *



 


Harry awoke on his second morning in Grimmauld Place with the distinct impression that someone was watching him. He knew they were by the way all the hairs on the back of his neck and arms were standing on end. He simultaneously whipped out his wand and opened his eyes to find only the fat black spider (was it the same spider?) hanging on its thread just inches above his nose.



"What?" said Harry groggily. "You hungry or something? Go on, shoo, I’m not breakfast."



The spider retreated a ways up its thread, intent on avoiding the wand which Harry was now waving energetically above his head. He stifled a giggle at what Ron’s reaction would have been had he awoken to find such a healthy specimen hanging over his face.



"Probably would have woken up the whole dorm," Harry informed the spider, "before smashing you flat of course."



The spider retreated a few more inches.



Harry winced at the stiffness in his back. He’d spent the night — both nights - wrapped in his blanket on top of the trestle table in the kitchen — just in case (he couldn’t entirely rid his mind of that slithering, creeping piece of mold he’d spied in the parlor) — using his knapsack as a pillow.



The roaring fire he’d built in the fireplace before going to bed was now only a bed of glowing coals. How long had he slept this time? Last night he’d woken up every couple of hours, each time feeling as if he’d just closed his eyes. Harry glanced at his wristwatch, and somehow wasn’t surprised to find that it was only four in the morning. He had to wait until six that evening before he could perform the reverse charm that would remove all the Bandimunds’ residue.



"Damn!" His sense of time was all skewered in this place. He’d fallen asleep at various times during the day, feeling groggy and muddled when he woke up instead of refreshed. It was as if Grimmauld Place occupied its own place in space and time, thumbing its nose at traditional time keeping.



"No wonder Sirius was getting restless," Harry told the spider, which had now retreated to the relative safety of the kitchen light fixture, where it had a large, intricate web spread, awaiting unwary insects. "I would have gone nutters in no time cooped up in a place as fundamentally weird as this!"



He’d stayed up until nearly one in the morning in order to complete his search of the house. He had encountered some downright bizarre things — including a mantle clock whose hands ran backwards, a pair of fire tongs which, when he had knocked them over by mistake, tried to bite his ankles and had to be stunned, a large cardboard carton filled to the brim with something that looked like snow, smelled like toasted coconut, but tasted like cardboard, and, in the attic, two large, round-topped, intricately carved trunks that had proven to be locked tight.



Harry had gotten very excited when he found that the trunks were locked; certain at last that he had found the hiding place he’d been searching for, but was disappointed upon opening them to find them full of nothing but ancient robes, high-heeled slippers and hats of all shapes and sizes.



"To be perfectly honest, I don’t know where else to look!" Harry confessed as the Spider began wrapping a small flying bug that had blundered into its threads. The spider paused in its task, as if considering his words. A second later Harry was completely distracted from this oddity as a voice spoke from directly behind him.



"If I knew what it was you were looking for, perhaps I could help."



Gulping for breath, Harry spun on his heels, his wand already in his hand, to find Remus Lupin standing in the kitchen doorway, leaning against the door, his arms crossed and a look of mild curiosity on his face. He was struck at once by how much better Lupin was looking. While still haggard and gray, at least some of the worry lines around his eyes had smoothed out and he looked as if he’d put on at least ten pounds. It looked as if Tonks were taking very good care of him.



"What the hell are you doing here?" ejaculated Harry, stowing his wand back in the pouch.



Lupin raised an eyebrow. "And hello to you too," he said mildly.



"Sorry," said Harry hastily, "it’s just . . .you startled me!"



"That much," said Lupin coolly, "is obvious."



"Yeah, well . . ." Harry grinned sheepishly. "How did you know where I’d be?"



Lupin shrugged. "Wasn’t difficult actually. You asked me how to get to your parents’ house in Goddric’s Hollow. Then Arthur and Molly said that you just disappeared right after the wedding. Anyway, I figured once you’d seen where your parents lived you’d probably come here, and then, when I received your school letter-"



"You received my school letter?" interrupted Harry. "I thought owls could find anyone anywhere they happened to be?"



"In most cases, yes," explained Lupin patiently. "But there seems to be a shielding charm in effect around you, for no less than three school owls have been returned as ‘undeliverable’."



"A shielding charm?" Harry’s hand went automatically to the pouch around his neck. Hadn’t Ginny said that it was enchanted? Figures Hermione would include something like a shielding charm. He hesitated only momentarily before drawing it out and holding it up so that Lupin could see. "Do you think this could have something to do with it?"



Lupin took the pouch from Harry, turning it over in his hands and squinting at the runic symbols etched into the leather. "Where did you get this?"



"Ginny," said Harry simply, then added, "I keep stuff in it that I don’t want found. She gave it to me, Ginny I mean. Ron made it, and Ginny said that Hermione charmed it so that Muggles couldn’t see it. "



"She did more than that," said Lupin admiringly, tracing an odd looking symbol near the bottom left-hand corner. "See this sigil? That’s a shielding charm, and this one? That’s a tracking spell that has all three of their names worked into it."



"And that means what, exactly?" asked Harry, squinting at the tiny gold threads Lupin was pointing to.



"What it means is that as long as you have this pouch on your person only the three of them will know exactly where you are."



"But you found me."



"It’s not like the Fideleous Charm, Harry. You can still be found — if someone knows where to look. But it makes it damned near impossible to trace you using any form of magical tracking."



"But you said there was a tracking charm worked into it too."



"Yes, but it’s exclusive, see?" Lupin was pointing to a connecting line between two of the sigils. "It bypasses the shielding charm, but only for Ron, Hermione and Ginny, because this links their names to the tracking charm."



"Sneaky," smirked Harry, once again amazed at Hermione’s ability to complex spellwork.



"But brilliant," said Lupin, smiling. "She really is the smartest witch I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, well, except for one."



"Tonks," said Harry, nodding. He didn’t know if he’d consider Tonks to be smarter than Hermione, but she was an Auror after all, and what with Lupin’s fancying her, it was natural to think that . . .



"No, actually, I was talking about Lily."



Harry blinked. "My Mum?"



"Everyone thought your Lily should have been in Ravenclaw," said Lupin reminiscently. "Top of her class in everything. I think that was one reason James was so attracted to her. I mean, precious few people could show James up in anything. He was easily the best in our class at Transfiguration, well, he and Sirius, and he was pretty damned good in Herbology. But Lily consistently beat them both in Charms and Potions."



"What about Defense Against the Dark Arts?" Harry wondered.



"I’d call it a tie," said Lupin cheerfully. "Lily and James were always vying for top position in Defense classes. Some of the hexes they used on each other during practice. . .!" He chuckled at the memory. "There was one afternoon at the end of our sixth year when they both refused to back down during the practical, talk about disastrous!"



"What happened?"



"They hexed each other so bad that they ended up in the hospital wing. As an extra punishment Professor McGonagall made certain that Madam Pomfrey put them in beds right next to each other."



"My Mum must have hated that!" said Harry wincing as he remembered Snape’s memory and how Lily had seemed to absolutely detest James early on in their acquaintance.



 


"Especially since neither of them were allowed visitors for the duration of their confinement," Lupin added.



"How long were they in there?"



"Three days," said Lupin, smirking, "they went in yelling, and by the time Madam Pomfrey discharged them three days later they couldn’t keep their hands off of each other."



"You’re kidding!" said Harry incredulously. "You mean that’s all it took?"



"It appeared so," said Lupin comfortably. "Oddly enough, James would never go into detail about what exactly went on while they were in there, and I can’t say how unusual that was. Normally he would regal Sirius and Peter and me with stories of his assorted conquests."



"Assorted conquests?"



"Harry, your dad was young, good looking, rich, smart and an excellent Quidditch player. Trust me, he had girls throwing themselves at his head; him and Sirius both." Lupin looked sideways at Harry, then innocently added, "from what I’ve heard, you haven’t been exactly lacking for admirers yourself."



Harry smirked, remembering Romilda Vane’s thwarted attempts to trick him into taking her love potion.



"Yeah, I suppose, but with most of them it’s because I’m the bloody boy-who-lived, isn’t it?" He paused, then added, "except for Ginny of course."



"Of course." Lupin remained silent for several minutes as he busied himself in making a cup of tea for the both of them from a tin of ancient leaves tucked into the back of one of the cabinets. It wasn’t until he had seated himself across from Harry, his back to the fireplace that Lupin spoke again.



"Harry, I want to apologize to you for how I behaved after Sirius . . ." he cleared his throat. "This whole last year and then, with Dumbledore and . . .well . . .I couldn’t deal with it."



"Who could?" muttered Harry, staring intently into his own cup of tea, wondering idly what the tea leaves would show now if he were to turn over his cup.



Lupin’s head snapped up at Harry’s words, he looked angry; angrier than Harry had ever seen him. "The point is, Harry, I should have! I had no right wallowing in self pity when I needed most to be strong."



"Don’t give me that shit!" Harry snapped, forgetting entirely that he was dealing with an Adult; a man who he respected; a man who was old enough to be his father.



"You’re my responsibility now Harry and I-"



"I am not yours or anyone else’s’ responsibility," said Harry flatly, cutting across Lupin with a tone that seemed to stop the older man in his tracks. Lupin stared at him, but Harry was not about to be deterred. "All my life people have been taking responsibility for me. My parents, Sirius . . ." Harry swallowed the lump that was forming in his throat, " . . .Dumbledore."



"Harry, I know you’ve been hurt-"


"No Remus. I haven’t been hurt." Harry felt the change in his voice; the icy, steel-like quality that had crept into it’s timbre. "I haven’t been hurt because every single person who has stepped between me and Voldemort has been killed protecting me. That stops, now. Today. No one else is going to be hurt because of me Remus. I am going to take care of this once and for all."



"Harry-"



"No." Harry took the older man by the shoulders. "Don’t you see? It’s time for me to take responsibility for myself."



Lupin closed his eyes and took several deep shuddering breaths before speaking again. When he opened his eyes, Harry was more than a little startled to see that he was crying.



"Professor . . .what is it?"



Lupin gave a ragged laugh and wiped his eyes with the hem of his sleeve. "You just — you just remind me so much of your father Harry. When you talk like that, the look in your eye . . .that was just how he sounded whenever he talked about Voldemort . . .about fighting him. . ." his voice broke and he pulled Harry into a bone-cracking hug. "Harry, I don’t want to loose you too!"



Harry remained silent. What could he say? Lupin had lost as many people to Voldemort as Harry had; people he was close to; people he loved just as much as Harry loved Ron, Hermione and Ginny. Not for the first time Harry felt the stirrings of a hot, bubbling anger at the man (if he could still be called a man) who was responsible for causing this kind of pain and suffering.



* * *



 


"Like I was saying, Harry, it was most likely the shielding charm that kept the school owls from finding you."



It was two hours later and Harry and Lupin were both sopping up the remnants of a beef stew from the bottom of their bowls with large chunks of bread. Harry simply nodded, not bothering to speak. He hadn’t realized just how hungry he was until Lupin’s thrown together stew had begun to simmer in the great cauldron over the fire.



"Only those owls who have been put under the corresponding finding charm will be able to find you with any accuracy. That would explain why they ended up sending the letter to me."



"What letter?" said Harry thickly around the last bit of bread he had just stuffed into his mouth.



"Your school letter; haven’t you been listening to me?"



"Well yeah, but . . .hey, I thought they weren’t going to open Hogwarts this year?"



"It was a close thing, let me tell you!" said Lupin, rummaging in the pockets of his jacket and finally extracting a thick yellow envelope with a fat wax seal on the back.



Harry wiped his hands on his jeans before slitting open the seal with a fingernail and shaking out the creamy sheets of parchment. He felt a distinct pang as he remembered the first time he had received a letter. Hagrid had done copious amounts of magic in order to get it to him, finally breaking down the door to the hut-on-the-rock in order to hand it to him in person.



The unusual thickness of the letter proved to be not only the usual welcome-back note and book list, but a letter of the precautions being taken to ensure the safety of the students and staff of Hogwarts, as long as several permission forms to be signed by the parents of those students still under seventeen.



"The board of governors had a rough time of it; took them nearly a month to decide," said Lupin, nodding at the forms Harry was holding. "But they finally agreed to allow those who wish to return to do so, provided that those under age have the appropriate release and permission forms signed."



"Doesn’t matter," said Harry, shrugging as he tossed the letter and forms onto the table.



"Well no, of course it doesn’t, not now that you’re almost of age."



"No," interrupted Harry, tapping the slightly creased parchment pages with one finger. "It doesn’t matter because I won’t be going back, at least not until I’ve settled this business."



"But — you’ve got to finish you’re schooling!" stammered Lupin, spluttering over the last bit of bread he had nearly inhaled at Harry’s revelation.



"You sound like Ron’s mum! Honestly, Professor, what do you think I’ll learn this year that could be of any possible use to me in what I’m about to face?"



"Well, I . . ."



"Exactly. Dumbledore . . .he was working with me last year," said Harry carefully, weighing each word before he spoke. "He, Dumbledore, he wanted me to understand Voldemort so that I would have an idea of what I was up against. He showed me — memories; memories from people who knew Voldemort from before, when he was just Tom Riddle. Things about him that he thought I should know, that he thought might help."



"Is that what you’re looking for?" asked Lupin, watching Harry through narrowed eyes. "Memories?"



"You could say that," said Harry, smiling slightly. Then, without thinking added, "actually, I’m looking for objects; objects of power that may have been of particular significance to Voldemort, things he may have used to store . . ." Harry looked sideways at Lupin, who was staring intently into the fire, his forehead creased. "Memories," he finished lamely, standing up suddenly and taking his bowl to the sink to cover the sudden rush of color to his cheeks.



Damn but he was going to have to watch himself. He couldn’t be letting things slip. Dumbledore had told him to let Ron and Hermione in on the secret, but he hadn’t said anything at all about Lupin. Still, he owed Lupin something, didn’t he? Didn’t Lupin have a right to understand what it was Harry was trying to do? Or would Lupin try to take the responsibility for finding the Horcruxes on himself?



To his surprise, Lupin’s slightly horse voice began speaking in a dreamy, rhythmic chant, his eyes very nearly closed, as if he were repeating something he had learned by heart a long time ago.



The objects of power


contain in their depths


the wisdom of ages


when combined by adepts.



The cup that was Hufflepuff’s


Is the fountain of youth.


The mirror of Gryffindor


Contains nothing but truth.



The locket of Slytherin


Contains power and might,


And Ravenclaw’s harp


Sings the wisdom of night.



When these four come together


Drawn by one hand


He who controls them


Will heal our land.



The darkness will vanish


The hatred will end,


And the gaps between creatures and wizards


Will be his to mend.



The silence when Lupin finished speaking was deafening. Harry was so amazed that he couldn’t bring himself to speak.



"What?"said Lupin curiously, opening his eyes at last and noting Harry’s intense stare.



"That — that poem," said Harry gruffly, clearing his throat and starting again. "That poem. Where did you hear it?"



"It’s just a nursery rhyme," said Lupin, shrugging. "My sisters would sing it when they skipped rope."



"Who wrote it!" Harry insisted. He had Lupin by the shoulders now, his fingers gripping the older man so tight that he winced.



"Let go Harry, you’re hurting me. I have no idea who wrote it, weren’t you listening? It’s a nursery rhyme; something that’s been around forever. It doesn’t mean anything."



"Then why did you repeat it?" said Harry, rounding on Lupin as if he were under attack.



"I don’t know, probably what you said earlier, about objects of power."



"My god," whispered Harry, sitting down heavily on a nearby chair. "That’s it! The cup, the locket, something of Gryffindor’s, something of Ravenclaw’s, but not the snake; never the snake. It never was the snake! Couldn’t have been!"



"Harry, what are you on about?"



Lupin’s horse, gravelly voice seemed to be coming from a very long ways away. Harry blinked, shook his head. He had to focus. The song, it had named them. . .it had named all four of the objects. Harry looked about wildly, grabbed a sheet of parchment from a stack at the far end of the table and rummaged in the drawer beside the sink until he found a bedraggled looking quill and a bottle of ink.



"Harry?"



"Say it again," Harry demanded, loading up his quill and looking expectantly at Lupin. "The nursery rhyme, say it again."



 


* * *



"So you’re telling me that Voldemort has split his soul seven times?" asked Lupin, looking rather sick.



"Yeah," said Harry, grimacing. "That’s what Dumbledore thought, anyway."



Harry had ended up telling Lupin everything about the night that he and Dumbledore had gone looking for the locket, about the theories that Dumbledore had concerning the identity of the other Horcruxes.



"Horcruxes," said Lupin, shaking his head. "I think I heard something about them once, ages ago. But I never paid it any mind. I didn’t realize what they were."



"Who would?" said Harry, shrugging. "They’re not exactly something you’re going to find described in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade Six."



"So he can’t be destroyed until all seven pieces have been found?"



"Six pieces," corrected Harry. "According to Dumbledore, one of the pieces has to be in Voldemort himself."



"Makes sense," said Lupin. "That would also explain how he was able to survive after the curse he was aiming at you rebounded on himself. If it wasn’t his entire soul that was destroyed then he couldn’t actually die." Lupin paused, considering. "So you’re thinking that he used these four objects of power?"



"We know he had access to at least two of them," said Harry. "Those memories Dumbledore showed me? One of them was when he discovered that one woman, this little old witch named Hepzibah, that she had both Hufflepuff’s cup and Slytherin’s necklace. According to Dumbledore she died not more than a couple of weeks after Voldemort discovered she had them."’



"So there are six Horcuxes floating around."



"Four actually," said Harry. "Two have already been destroyed. Dumbledore destroyed one, the ring, a big signet ring that belonged to the Riddles. That’s how he hurt his hand. And then that diary, Tom Riddle’s diary that I destroyed in the Chamber of secrets? That was one of the Horcruxes, that’s how come he was sapping the life right out of Ginny, he was going to use her body to come back."



"And then the fake Horcrux you found in the cave," said Lupin thoughtfully. "Someone replaced the real Horcrux that Voldemort had hidden there with a fake one."



"Yeah, the fake locket had this in it." Harry withdrew the note and handed it to Lupin.



" R.A.B.? So you’re thinking it was Regulus?"



"Who else could it be?" said Harry, shrugging. "Who else with those initials would have been able to find out where he’d hidden it?"



"Talk about hiding your light under a bushel," said Lupin grimly. "I always considered Regulus a right little idiot."



"So did Sirius," said Harry, nodding.



"And you think he would have brought it here?"



"Where else?" said Harry, shrugging. "Sirius himself said that his dad had put all sorts of charms and stuff on this place. And then, we were going through the cupboards in the parlor when we found a locket — a big, heavy gold locket that wouldn’t open."



"You think that was it then?"



"I guess I’ll never know. It’s not here now, anyway."



"You’ve looked everywhere?"



"Feels like it. But from the looks of it, someone else has gone through this place with a fine tooth comb. Anything of any real value is gone."



"Mundungus," said Lupin, grimacing. "Filthy little thief. He was doing right well for himself for a while there."



"Was?"



"Didn’t you hear about that? He was killed just last week, the day after Bill and Fleur’s wedding; that raid on Diagon Alley. The Death Eaters killed four shop keepers and dozens of shoppers in cold blood."



"What raid on Diagon Alley?"



"You really have cut yourself off from the magical world, haven’t you?" said Lupin, suddenly serious. "It was an attempt to take Gringotts, at least that’s what the Ministry thinks."



"Did they-"



"Didn’t even come close," said Lupin, smiling coldly. "The goblins have their own methods of security; very effective, especially against wizards. No, they were rebuffed, that’s why the Death Eaters turned on the shops. They were furious that they’re plan didn’t work. They completely leveled half the shops in the street and burned the Leaky Cauldron to the ground."



"But why?"



"They’re Death Eaters Harry! Since when do they need a reason to cause as much mayhem and destruction as possible?"



"Yeah, I know, but — what about Fred and George?" asked Harry, suddenly feeling incredibly sick.



"They’re fine, they and Lee dis-Apparated just minutes before the Death Eaters got to their shop. They even managed to save everyone who happened to be shopping in their store as well as most of their merchandise."



"Figures," said Harry, snorting. "Glad they’re okay though."



"So’s Molly, trust me. She’s still berating them about taking the time to save their merchandise."



"Sounds like her." Harry paused, considering. "Who was killed? Anyone we know?"



"Tom, the bartender in the Leaky Cauldron. He died in the fire. And Madam Malkin’s assistant, the tall thin girl? Then there was Lawrence Weatherby, the Cauldron shop’s proprietor, and Madam Mince, the owner of Eylops."



"Damn. Anyone else? What about the shoppers?"



"You know Susan Bones?"



"Oh god, not Susan!"



"No, no, her family. Susan was in Fred and George’s, she got out okay, along with Neville, who was there for the day with his Grandmother. Susan’s family was killed outside of Madam Malkin’s and Neville’s grandmother nearly died herself trying to pull old Tom from the Leaky Cauldron."



"Poor Neville!" groaned Harry. "Is she okay, his grandmother I mean?"



"She was pretty badly burned but she’ll pull through."



"And Susan lost her whole family?"



"Mother, father and two younger sisters. They were twins, supposed to be starting at Hogwarts this year, they were being fit for their robes."



"What’s the Ministry done?"



"Publicly condemn the attacks."



"That’s it?"



"So far, yes."



"And people thought they’d be safer with Scrimgeour in office," murmured Harry.



"I don’t think there was anything the Ministry could have done. The attacks came with absolutely no warning. And speaking of safer," said Lupin, giving Harry a sideways look. "Molly is absolutely frantic to find you. There were rumors that you’d been seen in Diagon Alley just before the attacks."



"Load of rubbish."



"Yes, well, that doesn’t stop Molly from being frantic."



Harry stood staring at the fire for several minutes, thinking hard. Mundungus had died in the attack on Diagon Alley. Lupin had said he’d been doing fairly well for himself these last few months.



"So you think Dung cleaned us out?" Harry wondered. It wouldn’t surprise him. He’d seen Dung with the goblin wrought silver goblets that had been emblazoned with the black family crest. He’d felt like killing him right then and there. Perhaps it would have been better if he had. What if he’d had the Horcrux on him right then?



"Good silver’s gone," Lupin was saying, motioning towards the stainless steel flatware they’d been using for their impromptu supper. "And most of the knickknacks. He probably figured that with Sirius dead and Dumbledore — gone . . ."



"That no one would care? I have to find that locket, Remus! It’s important! If Dung did get a hold of it he could have sold it to anyone! I supposed he might have tried to sell it in that second hand shop, or maybe Brogin and Burke’s."



"You’d be dead in minutes if you showed up in Knockturn Alley Harry. Half the shopkeepers down that way are in league with Voldemort or supply his Death Eaters without asking too many questions. And, well, you can’t exactly go strolling into Diagon Alley at the moment asking if anyone’s seen a gold locket with Slytherin’s insignia on it. You’d probably end up in a cell in Azkaban, right next to Stan Shunpike!"



"They still haven’t let him out?"



"Haven’t even given the poor bloke a trial."



"That is so stupid! Stan’s no more a Death Eater than I am!" growled Harry.



"Yes, well, they have to appear to be doing something to protect us all now, don’t they?"



Harry opened his mouth to argue, then promptly closed it again. What was there to say? He’d come here looking for answers, and he’d gotten one all right. The locket had most likely been sold to some little country witch looking for a trinket to take home from her day’s shopping in Diagon Alley.



"God, Remus, what am I going to do?"



"About the locket? There’s probably nothing else you can do, well, short of hunting down whoever Dung sold it to. No, you’re best bet right now is probably to start reading up on the other two objects, what were they?" He picked up the piece of parchment Harry had scribbled the nursery rhyme down on. "Gryffindor’s mirror and Ravenclaw’s harp."



"Great," snarled Harry, kicking the large iron cauldron sitting stolidly on the hearth and receiving nothing more than a pain in his foot for his efforts. "Just great. Two mythical items that might not even exist for all we know. I don’t have a clue Remus, not a clue! What do they look like? Where would he have hidden them? I don’t even know where to start!"



"Then why not start with the one you do know about," said Lupin mildly, watching Harry nurse his injured foot with raised eyebrows.



"Which is that?"



"The cup."



"But I don’t know where he stashed it!"



"Think Harry, Slughorn said that Horcruxes were made by splitting one’s soul — and that it required a murder to activate it."



"Yeah."



"Well, we’ve agreed that he most likely killed his Father to turn the ring, his Uncle’s ring, into a Horcrux."



"Probably, yeah."



"Did Dumbledore tell you where it was hidden, how he found the ring, who had it?"



"No, I saw it in the Pensieve, and then I saw it in his office, and then it was gone."



"And most likely he turned the diary into a Horcrux when he killed Myrtle. Probably the first Muggle-born he’d killed. That would be a big step for him. And from what we can tell, he had given the diary to Malfoy for safekeeping, someone just like him who can’t abide Muggle-borns."



"It was Mr. Malfoy that slipped the diary into Ginny’s cauldron," said Harry, nodding. "After he and Mr. Weasley had the fight in Flourish and Blots."



"And the Locket, the fake Horcrux, the one that was supposed to have been Slytherin’s locket, for some reason Regulus was able to find out where it was. Is it possible that he had been told where the Horcrux was? I mean, he was a pureblood after all, from a family who staunchly supported a pureblood’s superiority. Perhaps there’s a trend here."



"You think that he only told one other person about each of the Horcruxes?" wondered Harry. "You know, that feels right somehow. That’s something he’d do, isn’t it? He’d try to cover all his bases, spread the Horcruxes out as far as possible; only tell one other person where it was. Someone would have to know after all. Someone besides himself would have to know where each of the pieces were in case he was incapacitated, like what happened when he tried to kill me and the spell rebounded."



"I think you might be on to something Harry," said Lupin, nodding in agreement. "And he chose the person to guard the Horcrux based on the object itself and how it tied Voldemort to that particular Death Eater."



"So he chose Malfoy to guard the diary because Malfoy hated Muggle-borns as much as Voldemort himself, and the diary had been created with the intent of ridding Hogwarts of Muggle-borns. And then he made Regulus the guardian for the Locket because his family were big supporters of the Purebloods right to rule. But what about the others?"



"Well, maybe we’re asking the wrong questions," said Lupin, frowning slightly. "Perhaps we should be asking who his most loyal Death Eaters are? Those closest to him? Would they be the logical choices to guard the pieces of his soul?"



"Yeah, but Regulus is already dead, and the locket is gone, lost. Malfoy is in prison and the Diary has been destroyed."



"What about Barty Crouch?" asked Lupin. "I mean, he was definitely a faithful Death Eater."



"Yeah, but his father had him locked up. Voldemort didn’t even know he was alive until he got a hold of Berth Jorkins," Harry pointed out.



"Okay then, what about Avery, or Nott maybe?"



"They were groveling!" sneered Harry, his lip curled. "When Voldemort confronted his Death Eaters in the graveyard, they were groveling at his feet."



"You’re right, someone who had been close enough to him to be entrusted with a bit of his soul wouldn’t grovel. Well, who else was close to him?"



"What about Wormtail?" suggested Harry.



"Peter? Oh please!"



"No, Remus, listen, he was the only one to go looking for Voldemort, don’t you see? Voldemort himself said that he rewards those who are faithful to him."



"But with something that important? You don’t know Peter like I do, Harry, he’s a self-absorbed, conniving little-"



"Voldemort trusted him with his life," Harry pointed out grimly. "Not that he had much of a choice, mind you, but still, he brought him back from Death’s door, he nursed that foul slimy thing from a bottle Remus, I’ll never forget the sight of it’s arms wrapped around Pettigrew’s neck." Harry shuddered uncontrollably.



"All right. You could be right. We know for certain that two have been destroyed and one has been taken from its hiding place, and I’ll concede that Peter may be guarding the fourth, whichever one that might be. But that still leaves three more."



"The cup," said Harry firmly, still staring into the fire. "Wormtail’s guarding the cup."



"How can you possibly know that?"



"Healing powers," said Harry, a grin slowly spreading across his face. "Hufflepuff’s cup was supposed to possess all sorts of powers. I bet healing is just one of the things it does."



"But why would you think that Peter would be guarding the cup particularly?"



"It just feels right. Besides, I saw the cup, in the Pensieve," said Harry, "it was just a small golden goblet with two finely wrought handles and a badger engraved on it. But it contains powers, Hepzibah said that herself, and the poem, that nursery rhyme says that it contains the fountain of youth. But who’s to say that it always looks like a cup?"



"You mean it could look like something else?"



"Well, in the Grail legends the writers would describe it, but sometimes it was a cup or a goblet, sometimes it was a bowl, and sometimes, sometimes it was a cauldron!"



"And that is supposed to mean what exactly?"



"Well, the night Voldemort came back, Peter was using the biggest damned cauldron I’ve ever seen, it was big enough for a grown man to sit in. He put that deformed proto-person thing in it, and Voldemort came out."



"Healing powers," whispered Lupin, his eyes getting big. "It would make sense!"



"He told the Death Eaters that it was a charm," said Harry excitedly. "Peter recited a little incantation; bone of the father, flesh of the servant, blood of the enemy, but what if the real magic was in the cauldron itself, especially if it already contained a bit of his soul?"



Lupin remained silent for several moments, digesting this latest bit.



"Damn. I think — no, Harry, I think you just might be right. He would have had to use one of the Horcruxes in order to come back. Until he could get his hands on one of them he was powerless, just a weak proto-human. So he had to come back, back to where he knew one of the Horcruxes was hidden."



"The Riddle House," said Harry. Then stopped short. He hadn’t realized he was going to say that until he had actually said it. He hadn’t even been aware that he was even considering the Riddle House as one of the places where a Horcrux could be hidden.



"But if he’s used it, then why would he put someone to guarding it?" Lupin wondered.



"Unless he made it back into a Horcrux," said Harry "Dumbledore says that he doesn’t think Voldemort can feel when one of the Horcruxes has been destroyed. But Voldemort knew he’d used that particular Horcrux, so he’s remade it, which means he’s killed someone else. Or maybe he just used Bertha Jorkins, or the old man, Frank."



"Either way, he probably would have left it where he had hidden it initially. I mean, it stayed hidden and undetected for thirteen years after all, and most likely whoever he had initially set to guarding it was killed, or sent to Azkaban," Lupin pointed out.



"Which means that the cup would need a new guardian." Harry stopped short, remembering, remembering what he’d seen, how Voldemort had told Wormtail that he would be as useful as Bertha Jorkins, that his part would come at the very end, that it would be a task many of his followers would have given their right hands to perform.



Harry had been given plenty of opportunities to think over Voldemort’s words since that horrid night in the graveyard, and he’s always assumed that Voldemort had been referring to Wormtail’s cutting off his own hand to activate the potion. But what if that had only been a part of it? What if he had been referring to something else altogether?



"Well," said Harry, shrugging slightly. "At least I have an idea of where I need to go next."



"We’ll start first thing in the morning-" began Lupin, but Harry cut him off.



"We won’t be doing anything, Remus. I’ve told you before, no one else is going to be put in danger because of me."



"Harry, you can’t just walk up to the Riddle House and ring the doorbell!"



"Why not?"



"Because, you have to take precautions. This could be exactly what Voldemort is expecting!"



"I very much doubt if Voldemort is anywhere near any of his stored souls," said Harry acidly. "He wouldn’t want to take that sort of chance, would he?"



"Probably not."



"Then it’s most likely just Peter," said Harry, a cold smile sliding slowly into place across his face. "And I don’t think that he will be a problem."



"But what if it’s booby trapped, cursed or something, like this last one."



"I’ll deal with that when I come to it," said Harry, still smiling.



"When we come to it, Harry, you’re not going by yourself!"



"Watch me!"



"You can’t stop me coming."



"Can’t I?" said Harry coolly, raising his wand. "This is my fight now, Remus. I’m going alone, that’s all there is to it, and if you show up I just might jinx you myself, if Peter and his silver hand doesn’t get to you first!"



"Harry-"



"Besides that, I need you to take a message to Ginny for me."



"A message?"



"Yeah, a letter. She gave me a note you see, just before I left. I haven’t had a chance to reply yet."



"I’m not a messenger boy, Harry, send it with an owl, why don’t you?"



"Because I also want to make certain that she’s all right," said Harry slowly. He’d been avoiding Lupin’s gaze ever since he started talking about Ginny, but now he finally made eye contact. "I love her Remus, I’ve just figured that out for myself, it’s what I have to tell her, and if I’ve figured it out, chances are Voldemort himself has figured it out, and he already used her once . . ."



"Harry . . ."



"I don’t know what I’d do if anything happened to her. I can’t stay and protect her myself. Not only would it be too dangerous, but I have to do this, I have to trace these Horcruxes. But I’d feel a whole lot better about what I have to do if I know that she’s got someone looking out for her."



"She’s fairly capable of looking out for herself," said Lupin dryly.



"Damn it, Remus! I’m scared for her! I don’t want to loose her!" his breath caught on a hitch, then he added, "I don’t want to loose you! Please, for my sake — for my sanity, please take care of Ginny."



Lupin stared at him for a full minute before finally inclining his head. "I’ll do it Harry. It’s against my better judgement, but I’ll do it — on one condition."



"What’s that?"



"We take you down to the Ministry tomorrow and get your Apparition test taken care of. Can’t have you arrested for Apparating without a license when there’s so many other laws you’re intent on breaking."



"But I can’t take the test until I turn seventeen," Harry pointed out, a frown creasing his forehead.



"Check your calendar mate, tomorrow’s the 31st unless I’m sorely mistaken, so Happy Birthday, and may you live long enough to see another year."



"Amen," said Harry fervently. "Amen and Amen."



 


 



Back to index


Chapter 4: THE LEO AND THE LION




"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."


-Albert Einstein



 


 


CHAPTER FOUR: THE LEO AND THE LION



 


"Do you really think this is necessary?" hissed Harry under his breath as the phone booth’s rather dilapidated door folded open to reveal the Ministry of Magic’s bustling Atrium.



"Just pin on the damned badge and follow me," said Lupin exasperatedly.



Harry knew that Lupin had every right to be exasperated with him. Harry had only been repeating the same question every five minutes for the entire duration of their journey.



Lupin had explained it all. So far, he said, Harry had been lucky by Apparating or performing his magic in places where it was difficult to detect. (As Harry had expected, Grimmauld Place was still under so many enchantments that one could probably perform an unforgivable curse and it wouldn’t register). And, although Harry had assured Lupin that he had planned it that way, Lupin was equally insistent that Harry’s luck would run out eventually and that the Ministry would finally have a reason to haul him in.



"Why would the Ministry want to haul me in?" Harry had asked Lupin, perplexed as they had boarded the tube at Angel station.



"Harry, how many times has Rufus Scrimgeour tried to bring you over to his way of seeing things?" Lupin had asked finally.



"Erm . . .twice?" Harry had said.



"And if I’m not mistaken, he was rather desperate that last time," Lupin had pointed out. It was true too Scrimgeour had seemed rather keen to get Harry to side publicly with the Ministry.



"But I don’t see what that would have to do with them hauling me in," said Harry confusedly.



"Don’t you?" said Lupin dryly. "Think Harry, what if they had something to hold over you?"



"What do you mean?"



"If they could prove that you’d done illegal magic . . ." Lupin’s shrugged eloquently.



"But I’ve done illegal magic," Harry had said, laughing. "If they want something on me, all they have to do is bring up Aunt Marge, or the Patronus. Besides that, I’m seventeen now, so I can’t get in trouble for doing magic outside of school."



"First of all, it is still illegal to Apparate without a license, whether you’re of age or not. Secondly, you have been cleared of all charges by the Wizengamot for the use of the Patronus and Fudge himself expunged your record of the incident involving you blowing up your Aunt." Lupin’s lips had twitched as he’d said this and Harry had to wonder just how much he actually knew about the entire affair.



"Your record is clear as far as this administration is concerned Harry, but that could change in a heartbeat. And let me tell you, Scrimgeour wouldn’t hesitate to hold something like illegal magic over you."



"How do you know that they won’t try to, um, haul me in anyway?" Harry had demanded. "I mean, if Scrimgeour is that desperate."



"I have the Minister’s word that you will be able to leave — I think I used the word — unmolested."



"What did you have to do to pull that off?" Harry had asked shrewdly. He knew that things weren’t going well for Scrimgeour. The wizarding population had given him the job of Minister of Magic in the desperate hope that he would be able to put a lid on the killings and violence that were spreading like wildfire throughout the wizarding community.



So far it did not seem to be working. If anything, there had been even more attacks since Scrimgeour had taken office. He had already tried to convince Harry to at least give the appearance that he was supporting the Ministry’s actions in the ongoing war. Harry, of course, had refused.



Now, with Dumbledore gone and Harry (whom many had for over a year regarded to be "the chosen one" and whom they now saw as the natural successor to Dumbledore’s position as ‘the greatest wizard of the age’) refusing to support the Ministry’s actions, many witches and wizards seemed to be loosing confidence in the Ministry altogether.



"Agree to let Scrimgeour have one more go at you."



"Damn it Remus, you didn’t!"



Harry had at first flat out refused to take Lupin up on his offer, saying that he’d risk the fines if he were caught Apparating without a license; that he didn’t want anything at all to do with the Ministry. But Lupin had been persistent, and finally Harry had agreed, although he still wasn’t entirely comfortable with the prospect of walking right into the Ministry of Magic, especially when Rufus Scrimgeour was so anxious to get his paws on him. Scrimgeour had, after all, been keeping Stan Shunpike locked up for nearly a year now on nothing more incriminating that the suspicion of his being linked to the Death Eaters.



"Remus," said Harry, stopping just short of the security guard’s gate. "Remus, if Scrimgeour is so very anxious to get me to endorse the Ministry’s position, what’s to keep him from just detaining me or something, regardless of what he’s promised you?"



"Public opinion," said Lupin quietly. "He wants to be seen as having your support, but he is also very aware of the fact that if he were detaining you, news of it would get out. You’re entirely too valuable to the wizarding community. They wouldn’t stand for it."



"But how would they know?" Harry insisted. "I mean, we could just walk into the Ministry, you and I both, and just sort of, I don’t know, disappear or something."



"Ah, Harry," said Lupin, grinning broadly. "I see you have about as much trust of Scrimgeour’s ‘word’ as I have myself. But never fear. Do you really think that I would bring you hear without having ensured our safety by other, more effective means?"



Harry stared at his longtime friend with a renewed feeling of respect.



"You’ve let someone else know we’re coming, haven’t you?" asked Harry, but Lupin was spared the necessity of answering as a familiar voice called to them from the other side of the security guard’s desk.



"Harry! Good to see you, and Remus!"



It was Mr. Weasley. He looked less shabby than usual and was waving genially at them, beaming all over his face.



"Thought I’d catch you on my way to lunch," he said brightly as Harry and Lupin checked in their wands. "Have I got news for you!" he added, lowering his voice as Harry and Lupin joined him on the other side of the gate. "Crispin Glover has resigned as the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement!"



"What?" said Lupin, even as Harry said, "Who’s Crispin Glover?"



"Yes. He was the bloke that took Madam Bones’s position after . . .well . . .he’d been her assistant for years."



Mr. Weasley led the way through the golden gate and into the lift, brushing away the little flock of memos that followed them in. The memos retreated to the relative safety of the light fixture, flapping their paper wings restlessly.



"So, have they replaced Glover yet?" asked Lupin as the lift grumbled into motion.



"Yes, as a matter of fact they have!" said Mr. Weasley, beaming at them. "It was just announced this morning!"



"Level seven," announced the coolly detached witch’s voice as the lift doors opened on a hallway littered with posters of various Quidditch teams. "Department of Magical Games and Sports," continued the witch’s voice. "Incorporating the British and Irish Quidditch League Headquarters, Official Gobstones Club, and Ludicrous Patents Office."



"Who-" began Harry, but was interrupted by a warning glance from Mr. Weasley as a trim witch with a large stack of paperwork joined them in the lift.



"Level six," began the voice, but the rest was drowned out by Lupin saying. "This is our stop, Harry."



They exited the lift, leaving the trim witch looking after them with curious interest.


A sign labeled "Apparition Test Center" pointed them down the left-hand corridor.



"Nervous Harry?" asked Mr. Weasley kindly.



"Not really," said Harry, shrugging. He’d become fairly confident in his Apparition ability.



Mr. Weasley raised an eyebrow, but Harry hastened to add, "The instructor at Hogwarts said I was doing really well, and then I did side-along Apparition with Dumbledore." This last bit wasn’t entirely the truth, he had been the one to bring Dumbledore back from the cave, but that wasn’t something he thought should be made public just yet.



"He’ll do fine, Arthur," said Lupin gruffly, clapping Harry on the back. "Here you go, Harry," he added, pointing Harry into a room above which was a sign reading Ministry of Magic Apparition Test Center.



"We’ll wait for you out here Harry," said Mr. Weasley, smiling down on him. Harry grinned back and opened the door.



 


* * *



"Well?" said Mr. Weasley expectantly as Harry emerged from the office half an hour later.



"What is it Harry?" asked Lupin concernedly, noting Harry’s serious expression.



Harry, who was struggling not to laugh, handed the scroll of parchment over to Lupin, adding a deep sigh for effect as he did so.



"You little . . .! Excellent Harry!" he added, handing the scroll to Mr. Weasley who took one look at it and began chuckling.



"Fred and George are going to be envious," he said brightly, handing the parchment back to Harry. "With Highest Distinction! That’s excellent!"



They made their way back to the lift, joining several witches and wizards as well as a veritable migration of memos.



"Here, Harry, we’ve got half an hour until you’re expected in the Minister’s office, so why don’t you stop by mine?" asked Mr. Weasley, exchanging a grin with Lupin as they got out at the second level.



Instead of heading toward the broom-cupboard sized office Harry had visited two years ago when Mr. Weasley had been working in The Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office, he steered Harry toward a large corner office just past the receptionist’s desk. On the ornately carved mahogany door there was a brass plaque which read:



Arthur Weasley


Head, Magical Law Enforcement



"Ah, Mr. Weasley?" said Harry, turning to Mr. Weasley, a slow grin spreading over his face. "I thought that you had been made the head of The Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects?"



"I was," said Mr. Weasley, beaming at him. "But when Glover resigned . . ." he tapped the brass plaque and then tapped his chest, expanding it slightly. "They asked me to step up."



"Excellent!" said Harry. If anyone deserved a break, it was Mr. Weasley, who had worked so hard for so long for the Ministry, only to be repeatedly sidelined because of his soft spot for Muggles.



Harry couldn’t, however, help the sudden sinking sensation he felt in the pit of his stomach at this announcement. Was this timing a coincidence? Was it possible that Scrimgeour had promoted Mr. Weasley for ulterior motives? What would he do if Scrimgeour tried to use his loyalty to the Weasleys to try to coerce him into supporting the Ministry?



Something of what Harry was feeling must have made its way onto his face, because once they had stepped into the office Mr. Weasley closed the door behind them and, taking Harry by the shoulders, said, in a firm but quiet voice, "I haven’t become that attached to the view yet though, Harry, so don’t let anything Scrimgeour says influence you one way or another on my account."



"But-"



"No, Harry. I’d be thrilled to be Head of Department, of course I would, but I don’t want to be used as a pawn," said Mr. Weasley, grimacing, "especially not in a cause that I don’t support. Can you understand that, Harry?"



"Perfectly," said Harry, nodding. Hadn’t he said as much to Scrimgeour when he had come looking for Harry’s endorsement of the Ministry’s actions? It was a relief really, to know that Mr. Weasley understood his predicament.



"But you don’t really think that he’d . . ." Harry’s voice trailed away as he looked from Mr. Weasley to Lupin and back again. Both of the men looked rather uncomfortable.



"I’m not entirely certain if there is anything he wouldn’t do," said Mr. Weasley slowly. "If he thought it would bolster public opinion of the Ministry right now."



"Shouldn’t he be a bit less concerned with public opinion and a little more concerned with the public’s safety?" said Harry, his lip curling.



"The problem is, the Ministry is doing everything it can," said Lupin resignedly.



"No, Harry," said Mr. Weasley, taking in Harry’s skeptical expression. "Remus is right. Scrimgeour is bound by the law. The laws - our magical laws - are in place to protect us — to protect our rights and our property, even our lives."



"But Voldemort doesn’t abide by the Ministry’s laws," Harry pointed out.



"Exactly," said Mr. Weasley, nodding sagely. "So you can see what a bind we’re in. If we break our own laws to bring You-Know-Who and his Death Eaters to justice, we’ve stooped to his level; we’ve betrayed everything we say we’re defending."



"But since Voldemort, as you so rightly pointed out, holds our magical laws in contempt, it makes it very difficult to affect him in any way that is likely to have an impact," said Lupin wryly.



"And since we no longer have Severus’ input," added Lupin, ignoring Harry’s start of surprise at the sound of the name, "we have no way of knowing in advance where he or is Death Eaters will strike next."



"You still think he passed you useful information?" said Harry scornfully. "After what — after what he did?"



"Harry, I know this is going to be difficult to understand," said Mr. Weasley calmly, "but the Order owes much of what it knows about You-Know-Who and his Death Eaters, how they’re organized, who reports to whom, to Severus Snape. Many of the most successful raids I conducted were carried out using information that he had passed to the Order."



"It was Snape that introduced me to the werewolf pack," said Lupin, shrugging slightly. "I never would have been able to pass on so much useful information myself if I hadn’t had the inside edge."



"He would have to play both sides if he were a double agent, wouldn’t he?" said Harry, remembering Draco’s sneering voice telling Dumbledore He’s a double agent, you stupid old man, he isn’t working for you, you just think he is!



Harry fought down the familiar boiling sensation is his stomach at the thought of Draco’s pale, pointed face so twisted with hatred as he’d held his wand pointed at the Headmaster. But it hadn’t been Draco who had killed Dumbledore, had it? It had been Snape after all. Snape had killed Dumbledore and here these two were defending him!



"But he killed Dumbledore!" hissed Harry angrily. "He killed him with his own hands, I saw it happen!"



"We don’t begin to understand everything that happened," said Lupin heavily, laying a hand on Harry’s shoulder. "What Severus did was completely unexpected and unacceptable."



Harry twisted out from under Lupin’s hand. "Yes, it was," he said icily. "What I’m really finding difficult is how you lot can be so accepting of the whole situation!"



"Accepting?" said Mr. Weasley in a strangled sort of tone even as Lupin made a sound like an angry cat. "My son is disfigured for life, Harry! Three of my children were in that fight with the Death Eaters! I could have lost them all! Nearly my entire family is in the Order, and the way things are going that might as well be a death sentence for us all! We gave everything we had to the Order and now . . ." his voice broke off and Mr. Weasley turned quickly to the window, as if he didn’t want the others to see his face.



Harry steeled himself against the pain in Mr. Weasley’s voice, focusing instead on the bit about the Order. "And what’s the Order doing to find Snape? Surely you lot must have some idea of where he is!"



"The Order is on its knees, Harry," said Lupin, still sounding as if he had something very large stuck in his throat. "Without Dumbledore, we’re nothing more than a bunch of hopeful idealists!"



"Don’t tell me you actually believe that crap!" said Harry, rounding on Lupin, his anger focused now on the thin, ragged man standing beside him. "It wasn’t Dumbledore out there collecting the information!" he added heatedly. "I didn’t see Dumbledore out there risking his neck, living with werewolves."



He turned to Mr. Weasley, grasping him by his shoulder and turning him around so that he was looking at Harry. "And I don’t recall him getting bit by a giant snake while he was on guard duty either!"


"But — but his hand," began Mr. Weasley, blinking rapidly.



"That was something altogether different," said Harry casting a warning look at Lupin who had opened his mouth as if about to say something. "What he was doing was doing when he hurt his hand, that was not something that could have done by any other member of the Order."



"Then what’s the use?" said Mr. Weasley miserably. "He said that it was detrimental, Harry. Detrimental to our success, and if he can’t do it . . .if he can’t finish the job . . ."



"But I can," said Harry quietly.



Mr. Weasley looked at him blankly. "But Harry, what-"



"No, Mr. Weasley, it’s better if you don’t know," said Harry firmly. "Just keep in mind what you’re fighting for," Harry felt a small smile creep across his face as his hand went automatically to the pouch around his neck, Ginny’s words illuminating his heart as if a wand had been lit inside of it.





. . . . I want you to keep in mind why you are doing this. You are doing this for your parents, Harry, for the happiness Voldemort stole from them. You are doing this for Sirius and the thirteen years he spent in that hell hole of a prison. You are doing this for Cedric and the life that was stolen from him before it had barely gotten started. You’re doing this for Madam Bones and Bertha Jorkins . . . You’re doing this for Bill, Harry . . .You’re fighting for Neville . . .for Luna . . .


You’ll fight him, Harry. You’ll fight him and you’ll win and you’ll live to tell about it, and you’ll do that for me because I love you Harry . . .You’re mine now, Potter. Remember that.





He knew what he was fighting for. But did Mr. Weasley? Did Lupin? Did any of the rest of them truly understand what was at stake here?



"You’re fighting so that no one else will ever have to go through what we’re going through right now," said Harry simply. "If we do this, if we end this, we will be in a position to make certain that this can never happen again."



"But Harry, where do we start? How do we-" Mr. Weasley’s voice broke. "How do we go on?"



"Use your assets," said Harry, grinning broadly now.



"Assets?" said Lupin, regarding Harry through narrowed eyes.



"Yeah, for starters, I bet Fred and George could come up with a dozen different ways to eavesdrop on Death Eaters."



"Well -" began Mr. Weasley, a skeptical look on his face.



"Not to mention I’m certain that if they had the proper incentive they could vastly improve their line of defensive merchandise — maybe even make some special stuff for you lot."



"Incentive?" said Lupin warily.



"Yeah, that’s another thing. Would you talk to them for me? Ask them if they’d be willing. If they say yes, I’d like to sign over Sirius’s money to them. Well, to you rather, to use as the Order sees fit, but I think that would be a good start."



"Harry, I can’t-"



"It’s my money isn’t it?" Harry pointed out.



"Well, of course it is."



"Then there you go," said Harry brightly. "I’m of age, and this is what I want to do with it."



Mr. Weasley and Lupin exchanged slightly amused glances.



"Harry, money would certainly be helpful, but it can’t replace-"



"And it’s not just Fred and George," said Harry quickly, talking over Mr. Weasley’s protests, "you’ve got a curse breaker, haven’t you?" Harry pointed out. "From the way he was talking at the wedding I take it that Bill’s not about to give up without a fight."



"Well no, he’s not," agreed Mr. Weasley.



"You’ve got two Aurors," continued Harry. "Three if you count Moody, I’m certain they could come up with a good many ideas, they’re used to fighting Dark wizards after all. Then there’s McGonagall, she can transfigure anything just by glaring at it I think, and Sprout, she knows more about plants and poisons than most people give her credit for, and then you’ve got Flitwick — I bet he’s got Charms up his sleeve most of us have never heard of. Then there’s Deadalus Diggle-"



Mr. Weasley choked back a snort of amusement, but Harry went on as if there had been no interruption. "No, really, haven’t you ever heard Professor McGonagall talk about him and his shooting stars? Brilliant! You can’t tell them from the real thing. Put him together with Fred and George and their fireworks, and I bet you’d get something pretty impressive. Look," he said exasperated as Lupin and Mr. Weasley shared another skeptical look. "Find out about the other members. Really! Find out their strengths and weaknesses. I’m certain there’s a lot of talent when you put it all together. It would give you- give you something — something to work with, anyway . . ." Harry’s voice died away as the full import of what he had just said came him.



What a hypocrite he was! Here he was talking about pooling resources, and he was off, leaving Ron, Hermione and Ginny behind him, determined to do the whole thing on his own.



This is different! Harry told himself sternly. They’re safer without me.



Well, wouldn’t the members of the Order be safer all together if they just went home and kept their heads down? Said a small, truthful voice in the back of his voice, sounding very much like Hermione when she was in a logical frame of mind.



But I’m the only one who can finish this! The prophecy says so! Harry thought desperately.



But that doesn’t mean that you wouldn’t do better, get this over with faster if you had your mates to help you? Whispered another voice, this one sounding very much like Ron.



No one else is going to be killed because of me! Harry insisted.



And what happens if you get yourself killed before you can finish this? said another voice, Ginny’s voice, and this one was harder to argue with, for it spoke to Harry where he was most vulnerable. If you rush into this without backup, without support, you may very well end up joining your parents in that graveyard and leaving the rest of us to get on as best we can. Can you imagine a world where Voldemort runs unchecked?



Harry grimaced. He could imagine it. He could envision it altogether too vividly.



"Harry, are you all right?" Mr. Weasley’s concerned voice broke through his reverie. Harry realized with a start that he was still standing in Mr. Weasley’s office, his hands gripping the edge of the desk so tightly that his knuckles were white, the words I will not tell lies standing out starkly on the back of his hand.



Had he been telling lies? Had he been lying to himself that he was better off without them? That he was doing this for their own good? Had he been lying to Ron and Hermione, telling them that this was something he had to do on his own? Had he been lying to Ginny when he told her that she’d be safer if they weren’t seeing each other? He realized with a sudden jolt that Snape already knew how he felt about Ginny, he had seen them together. If Snape knew, it was a given that Voldemort already knew.



Jesus Christ, I left her alone! Harry thought desperately, swaying slightly before realizing that Lupin and Mr. Weasley were waiting for him to speak.



"Er . . what?" he said looking around to find Lupin and Mr. Weasley both watching him with worried expressions. "Yeah, I’m okay," he added quickly, sticking both hands in his jeans pockets.



"Right," said Mr. Weasley, who didn’t appear to be fooled. "Because, well, we’re expected in Scrimgeour’s office in five minutes."



"We should get going then," said Harry, nodding. And gripping the fake Horcrux tightly in his fist as if it were a sort of talisman, he turned to leave.



 


* * *



While Harry had met Cornelius Fudge when he was the Minister of Magic he had never had occasion to visit Fudge’s office at the Ministry. Whatever changes may have been made when Rufus Scrimgeour took office, Harry didn’t know, but the entire scheme had obviously been designed to impress the visitor.



The office, located one floor above Mr. Weasley’s, was large and square, with dark mahogany paneling, plush wall-to-wall carpeting of the same peacock blue as graced the ceiling of the Atrium downstairs with heavy velvet drapes gracing the magical windows through which bright afternoon sunlight slanted. A heavy mahogany desk sat in front of a large, handsome fireplace in which a fire was crackling merrily. The room was empty, or at least that was Harry’s initial impression.



"Please, have a seat," said the trim, dark-haired witch who had greeted them at the receptionist’s desk outside of Scrimgeour’s office. "The Minister will be with you shortly."



Harry chose a comfortable looking armchair beside the fire and sat. The witch backed out of the room, closing the door silently behind her. At least he didn’t have to worry about something happening to him, disappearing or something during this interview. Mr. Weasley and Lupin were both in the outer office waiting for him.



Harry wasn’t entirely surprised when with a rushing, roaring sound the flames suddenly turned green and doubled in height. A moment later the barrel-chested form of Rufus Scrimgeour had climbed out of the fireplace and was brushing ash off into the grate.



"Sorry dear boy, so sorry. I was having a chat with the Prime Minister."



"The Prime — you know the Prime Minister?" said Harry, staring at Scrimgeour, startled out of his self-imposed composure.



"Of course dear boy, of course," said Scrimgeour, removing a traveling cloak and stowing it in a closet which had been cleverly concealed behind a section of heavy paneling. "We are only one of many Ministries in the British Government," said Scrimgeour, taking a seat in the armchair opposite Harry and waving his hand at a small round table beside him. With a pop, a tray holding a tea service and a plate of scones appeared, revolving slowly in midair. Scrimgeour guided it down to the table and proceeded to pour them each a cup of tea. "We report directly to the Prime Minister though," said Scrimgeour airily, "none of this mucking about with committees and parliament and such."



"Then you are under the Prime Minister’s control?" asked Harry.



Scrimgeour choked on his tea, putting down the cup with a clatter. "Don’t be silly my boy. The Ministry of Magic is under no one’s control."



Harry raised his eyebrows.



"It’s a matter of politeness," said Scrimgeour looking a bit put out. "He is the Prime Minister in name only. We only keep him informed of what is going on in the wizarding world."



"Then shouldn’t your title be the Prime Minister of Magic?" wondered Harry idly.



"Now look my dear boy," said Scrimgeour shifting uncomfortably in his chair. "We’re getting off the subject."



"That’s funny," said Harry, allowing himself a small smile. "Had we actually gotten around to a subject yet? I had the impression that we were still engaging in small talk."



"Then I shall come directly to the point," said Scrimgeour, his expression hardening perceptibly.



That, thought Harry viciously, would make for a nice change.



"It is perfectly obvious to me that you have absolutely no interest in what is in the wizarding public’s best interest, so I won’t bore you with another appeal to your better nature. If you want to maintain your self-enhancing moral high ground in your position regarding the ministry’s actions, so be it." Rufus Scrimgeour gave a heavy, theatrical sigh and leaning back in his leather chair.



Harry had been all ready for Scrimgeour to make another sales pitch for Harry to come work for the Ministry, or at least to take up his position as their official mascot. In fact, he had his answer all ready and was opening his mouth to respond when the full impact of what Scrimgeour was saying hit him.



"You mean that?" asked Harry, suddenly on his guard. This wasn’t like Scrimgeour. There had to be something behind his resigned tone.



"Completely my boy, completely," said Scrimgeour, folding his hands across his stomach. "Pity," he sighed, more to himself than Harry. "It really will be a shame to have to close Hogwarts."



"Close Hogwarts?"


"Well, of course, with public opinion being what it is . . ." Scrimgeour’s voice trailed away delicately.



"It’s up to the board of governors as to whether or not Hogwarts will close or remain open," said Harry, his jaw clenched. "And according to my sources, they’ve already decided to remain open."



"That was, of course, when they had the Ministry of Magic’s assurances that there would be Aurors on hand to ensure their children’s safety," said Scrimgeour. "And you see, I’m afraid that what with the way this war is going, I just don’t see how I’ll have any Aurors to spare."



"But you’d have Aurors to spare if I agreed to side with the Ministry," said Harry.



"Well, of course we would," said Scrimgeour genially. "Have to protect our assets now, don’t we?"



Harry stared at him. He’d expected another sales pitch, perhaps even a threat against Mr. Weasley’s appointment, but this?



"Are you telling me," said Harry, slowly and carefully, "that you would put the lives of hundreds of students at stake simply because I refuse to come in on your side?"



"Now, now Harry, don’t jump to conclusions," rumbled Scrimgeour. "I never said anything of the kind." He was smiling, but there was a glint in his eyes that told Harry that they were now very close to the heart of the issue.



"Care to rephrase your statemtment then, sir?" asked Harry, emphasizing the last word. "Because from where I’m sitting that is exactly what it sounds like."



"It’s really quite simple," said Scrimgeour, his large, gnarled hands now lying flat on his knees. "Without Dumbledore at the school, parents are rethinking sending their children so far away. I can’t say as that I blame them, what with the way things are going . . ." his voice trailed away and for a moment Scrimgeour no longer looked hard or tough, but old . . .and tired . . .very, very tired.



Scrimgeour ran a hand across his face as if ridding it of cobwebs, and sat up a little straighter. "If the parents of the Hogwarts’ students don’t have confidence in the Ministry’s abilities it wouldn’t matter if I send every Auror I have, they’d still choose to keep their children at home."



"Look, minister," said Harry exasperatedly, "I understand your point of view. The wizarding world has labeled me ‘the chosen one,’ they see me as the inheritor of Dumbledore’s power, but don’t you see? I could side with you, I could support your position, but it would only be a temporary fix."



"A temporary fix? No, no! It would give us the chance to-"



"Minister, think about it. It might buy you time, but in the end, they would see that nothing was being done and-"



"Things are being done!" roared Scrimgeour, his face a mask of fury. "We’re doing everything in our power-"



"And it isn’t working," said Harry quietly. "How many people have died this week minister? My giving the Ministry my support isn’t going to change the facts. Voldemort is killing people. You are having no luck locating him or his Death Eaters. If I were to come out in support of what the Ministry is doing, people would loose faith in me too, and then we'd both be screwed. You see Minister, all that hype about a prophecy and me being the chosen one? It’s true."



Scrimgeour blinked, but Harry hadn’t finished yet.



"There is only one way to end this Minister, and it’s not by bolstering your public opinion by turning me into your poster boy." Harry stood up and set his untouched teacup on the table beside him. "Threats aren’t going to work Minister. The only way you’re going to get me to side with you is if you stop worrying about public opinion and start doing something that will actually make a difference in this damned war!"



"Like what!" snarled Scrimgeour.



"Stop imprisoning innocent people for starters," said Harry, fighting to keep his face straight at the look on the Minister’s face. "And stop treating people as if they were children," he added, picking up a copy of the leaflet on protection against the dark forces that had been distributed the previous summer.



"This stuff is useless, Minister. It just scares people. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows to do this stuff. Teach them how to defend themselves — to really defend themselves! Teach them how to resist the imperious curse — there are ways! Teach them how to ward of Dementors! Teach people how to fight the Inferi — yes, they can be fought! Lift the restriction on unauthorized Portkeys — especially for underage wizards who haven’t learned how Apparate yet. That Side-Along-Apparition is all fine and good, as long as there is someone around who knows how to Apparate!"



"This kind of stuff-" Harry shook the leaflet under Scrimgeour’s nose. "All this does is make them dependent on you. You’ll get mad old ladies calling the Ministry up every time their next door neighbor sneezes and those who scream Inferi every time they see a ghost or a light summer mist because they haven’t been taught how to tell the difference!"



Harry crumpled the purple paper up in his fist and lobbed it into the crackling fire. "You’ve got a chance to really make a difference, Minister, and I have a job to do. Let’s not fuck it up."



Without another word Harry turned on his heel and strode out of the office, leaving Scrimgeour staring after him with an expression appropriate to his having been hit over the head with a club.



 


 



Back to index


Chapter 5: THE THIRD TURNING





"Hatred ever kills, love never dies such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred."
Mohandas Gandhi



 


 


 


CHAPTER FIVE: THE THIRD TURNING



 


 


The scent of newly mown grass and lavender hung heavy on the late summer afternoon air. The sun was shining warmly, dappling the grass and sheep, casting weirdly writhing shadows as it filtered through the leaves of the large, gnarled Yew tree just beyond the stone wall bordering the Little Hangleton churchyard. The only sound to be heard was the droning of bees, the occasional bleat of a startled sheep, and the soft sighs of the wind rustling through the lacy leaves of the Yew.



The rustling sound of the wind increased slightly, then died away, leaving behind a shadow beneath the Yew tree, this one much more solid than those cast by the shifting leaves and, oddly enough, carrying a battered leather knapsack over its shoulder.



A teenage boy stepped out from the shadows of the tree. He was dark haired and pale, a stranger to these parts, having only been here once before in his life, and that not being under the best of circumstances.



"It looks a lot more cheerful in daylight!" muttered Harry, looking about him with wary interest.



Indeed, the scene was idyllic. The rolling hillsides, the bleating sheep, the picturesque stone church with it’s overgrown gravestones, the sleepy little town nestled between two larger hills, the large, handsome manner house standing a ways apart as if looking down on the less-worthy dwellings.



It was hard to believe that it had been in this very graveyard that Cedric had been killed; that he, Harry had been tied just here as Wormtail had performed the Dark Magic that had given Lord Voldemort back his body. Harry traced the words TOM RIDDLE etched in the headstone. The marble was smooth and cool to the touch.



Had it been a dream then? He glanced to his left and saw another tombstone, this one cracked clean in half and another, a marble angel whose wingtip had had been shattered. No, it hadn’t been a dream. He remembered when that had happened; he’d dived behind it to avoid the Death Eaters Stunning spells.



"Sorry mate," said Harry, patting the angel’s arm. "Reparo," he muttered, pointing his wand at the angel’s wingtip. Shards of marble flew together from a spray some twenty feet wide, leaving the wing whole and gleaming once again. He waved his wand then at the smaller cracked headstone, leaving it unblemished.



Harry wasn’t entirely certain why he was bothering to fix the stones, but it felt right somehow. These had been people once, people who had loved and been loved after all. Harry saw the white tomb beside the lake in his mind’s eye, the two simple headstones in the Godric’s Hollow graveyard and blinked back the tears that were prickling behind his eyelids. And Sirius . . .Sirius had never even gotten a grave!



Harry smiled grimly, took a deep breath and walked steadily between the plots, heading for the aloof-looking manner house on the opposite side of the cemetery, pausing only briefly to slip under his invisibility cloak as he approached the road that wound past the church. Lupin’s admonitions to be certain to wear it were still ringing in his ears.



Both Lupin and Mr. Weasley had tried to talk him out of this last stop but how could he make them understand? There was something here that he needed to find, some information just waiting for him; information that he needed to know.



He’d wanted to give in to them, oh yes. He was tired of this ceaseless searching. Mr. Weasley’s pleas for him to come to the Burrow, his telling Harry about how Mrs. Weasley had been frantic every since he’d disappeared at the wedding (coupled with Harry’s own growing desire to see Ginny, to make certain that she was safe, to hold her once more in his arms) nearly made him give in. But in the end he had insisted, and so here he was.



Harry had protested at Lupin’s insistence that he at least wear the cloak. After all, Voldemort couldn’t possibly be using the house any more, the Ministry was certain to be keeping an eye on it.



"Which is all the more reason you should wear it!" Lupin had insisted. "Do you really think that if an Auror sees you he’ll just step aside and let you walk right in?"



"Are they guarding the house then?" Harry had asked.



"Well, not exactly guarding, now, but according to Tonks they do intermittent checks, just to make certain he hasn’t come back. You want to find what you’re looking for, make certain you’re not seen, and keep an eye out for Aurors, remember, they’re great at disguises."



It was good advice, Harry conceded, for on the way up to the house he did indeed encounter two Aurors. One was disguised to appear to Muggles as an innocent cow grazing by the side of the lane. The second was using a glamour (rather sloppily applied) to make him appear as a sapling with its branches hanging over the garden wall of the big house. It was the way the roots ended in sturdy leather boots that gave the whole thing away.



Harry circumvented them both, cambering over the wall near an old stone cottage at the back of the property. A tarnished brass plaque mounted beneath an even more tarnished brass bell read: FRANK M. BRYCE, GARDENER.



"The Gardener’s cottage," whispered Harry.



Odd snatches of a dream almost forgotten, a dark, disturbing dream about an old man and a snake, were coming back to him now. Harry let himself in the kitchen door, following the same path Frank had taken three summers ago, straining his ears for the slightest whisper of sound.



He crept silently up the broad staircase, his wand in front of him, it’s beam dialed down to the very faintest of lights, following the footprints etched in the decades deep layer of dust, noting with some trepidation the undulating track that could only have been made by Nagini'’s muscular body.



A sudden vision of objects shimmering in strange, vibrant colors . . .a man’s outline gleaming in the dark . . .the taste of him on the air . . .the feel of his fang’s sinking deeply into the man’s flesh, the satisfying warmth of blood gushing into his mouth . . .



Harry stopped dead halfway up the stairs, his heart beating a mile a minute. He hadn’t thought of the night when Mr. Weasley had been attacked in weeks, months even. Why now? Was it because Nagini had been here? But why hadn’t he felt anything in the graveyard? She’d been there too, he could remember how she’d circled the grave, waiting for her chance to feast . . .on him.



Harry lifted his wand a bit higher, his every nerve vibrating in expectation. Could she still be here? A sudden skittering noise nearly startled Harry into crying out. He turned sharply, just in time to see a bald rat tail disappearing into a crack in the wall.



"Get a grip, Potter," muttered Harry beneath his breath. He turned on the stairs, retreating to the ground floor. He’d begin by searching the house. He knew what he was looking for; the cup, he’d seen it in Dumbledore’s Pensieve. He’d look for the cup and also look for any signs that people had been here in the recent past. Kill two birds with one stone. "Or two rats," he murmured, shuddering as another, smaller rodent, a mouse, scuttled across his shoe and beneath a low bench in the hall.



There was something to be said for Muggles, thought Harry as he entered a large, gloomy parlor, empty except for several large pieces of furniture draped beneath dusty shroud-like sheets. At least they didn’t jinx every other object in their house.



* * *



The Riddle House was much larger than it appeared at first glance. With extensive cellars (one containing nothing but dusty bottles of vintage wine), at least a dozen bedrooms as well as warren-like servant’s quarters, it took three entire days for Harry to admit that except for the occasional rat or mouse (all right then, lots of mice) that he’d seen scuttling into the baseboards; the bats hanging limply upside down from the rafters in the attic (their frail bodies wrapped in their own leather wings) and the sleekly plump mother cat curled up in a corner of the Master Bedroom with a nest of kittens, the Riddle House was completely devoid of life.



He hadn’t found anyone hiding beneath the beds or lurking in the dark, cobwebby corners of the closets. He hadn’t seen any sign of Hufflepuff’s cup, but he had found a room at the top of the house; a room in which a large, rather moldy looking armchair was drawn up before a low stone fireplace. On the mantelpiece in this room was ranged a number of baby bottles; some with curdled milk crusting their edges, some gleamingly empty. In this room, lying in a discarded heap behind the door, was a long, paper-thin snakeskin, its diamond pattern just barely discernable in the glom of the dust-caked windows.



This was it then, thought Harry, nudging the snakeskin with the toe of his trainer. With the exception of this room, which had been where Pettigrew had tended to his master, there was nothing in the house to indicate that anyone else had been near the house in decades.



Harry sat down on the raised stone hearth. He’d come here looking for what, Hufflepuff’s cup? He hadn’t seen a trace of it, but that didn’t mean it wasn’t here, hidden. Harry remembered with a shudder, the concealed entrance to the underground lake and the way it had required its tribute of blood. If something like that had been done here, to conceal the cup, he could walk right by it and never know it was there!



But he hadn’t come looking for the cup. Not really, he’d come looking for . . . .a gleam of silver beneath a low table caught his eye. He’d gotten so used to the scuttling of the rats and mice that he hadn’t stopped to wonder if . . .



"Hello Scabbers," said Harry to the plump gray rat crouched beneath the ragged tablecloth. Except for the silver sheen of its right front paw, it looked identical to the rat Harry had once known as Ron’s pet.



The rat gave a terrified squeak and bolted for a crack in the baseboards but was thwarted by Harry’s summoning charm which sent him soaring into Harry’s hand.



"The way I see it, Peter, you have two choices," said Harry coolly, holding the flailing rodent up by the tail until he was looking it in its beady eye.



"I can use the same charm Sirius and Lupin used on you to turn you back," the rat writhed, shrieking in Harry’s grip, tiny teeth barred. "Or you can change back yourself and we can talk like civilized people."



The rat stopped flailing, gave Harry a look of utmost loathing and, with a sharp pop, turned into a rather nervous looking wizard who was clutching a wand in a hand which looked as if it had been fashioned from molten steel.



"You are — alone?" squeaked the wizard, his small black eyes darting frantically around the room.



"Well, unless you’re counting the cow in the lane or that footed sapling hanging over your garden wall, yes."



Pettigrew snorted in derision. "They couldn’t be more obvious. They only disguise themselves at all because of the Muggles. They don’t really believe there’s anyone here. I’ve heard them talking. But still, I’m not about to take chances. Why do you think I’m disguised as a rat?"



"Because it suits your personality?" said Harry coldly.



Pettigrew blinked rapidly.



"Or maybe because you enjoy running around with filth," Harry added, not bothering to disguise the hatred in his voice.



For an instant, something very like anger flickered in Pettigrew’s beady eyes, a feral sort of intelligence that brought Harry up short. For all his seeming stupidity, Peter Pettigrew was a Death Eater. He had shown himself to be merciless, first in betraying one of his best friends and his friend’s family to the Dark Lord, then in killing twelve innocent people and pinning the blame on his other best friend just to save his own skin.



He had also proven himself clever by managing to avoid detection for twelve years and then, once his disguise had been ripped from him, once more managing to remain at large for another three.



"Didn’t expect to find you here," Harry lied. He’d considered the possibilities, of course he had, but it was true, he hadn’t actually expected Pettigrew to be here, not really. You wouldn’t think that he would have had the nerve to come back here, after everything that had happened, even disguised as a rat!



"Is that why you cornered me then?" rasped Pettigrew, running a nervous tongue over his chapped lips. "Why you threatened me with curses, because you didn’t expect me to be here?"



"Oh shut up, would you?" said Harry easily. "Didn’t you notice that it took me a bit to figure out it was you? Bit stupid of me. I saw your paw — I mean, your hand. That’s what gave it away."



"If you weren’t looking for me, then why are you here? Why have you been turning the house upside down? What are you looking for?"



"Clues," said Harry enigmatically. "What are you doing here, anyway?" Harry wondered out loud, trying to look as if it had only just occurred to him to wonder this.



For the briefest of moments Pettigrew looked sulky. "I’m on assignment," he said crossly, "the Dark Lord had decided that it is of the utmost importance to maintain a presence here, given the history of the location."



"Really?" said Harry, looking around at the dusty hangings and molding furniture with mock interest. "A presence to impress who, the spiders?"



"I am not foolish enough to question the Dark Lord," said Pettigrew glowering at Harry. "He commands, I obey, that is all."



"But he must have given you a reason," Harry insisted, fingering his own wand casually. He saw Pettigrew’s eyes dart from the wand to his face and back again.



"I wouldn’t tell you if I knew," spat Pettigrew, barring his teeth in a very rat-like manner. But he didn’t stop there; he went on, the words spilling out of him with enough gall to eat through stomach lining. "First he assigns me to assist Severus! Assist Severus! Me! As if I were some common manservant."



"He wanted Snape watched of course," said Harry, nodding.



"Of course," snarled Pettigrew. "Didn’t trust him, did he? Thought he might be corrupted, didn’t he, having been with Dumbledore for so long?"



"And now?"



"He takes off with his new favorite and leaves me here. Tells me I have to stay. You’d think," muttered Pettigrew, more to himself than to Harry. "You’d think that after all I’d done for him, seeing as that it was me who found him, me who brought him back . . .and now here you come, giving me a hard time. Can’t leave a fellow alone, can you? Any of you!"



Harry felt his stomach drop unpleasantly; another dead end. Pettigrew knew nothing. He’d proved himself useful to the Dark Lord, which was probably why he was still alive, but other than that . . .



You don’t just hand in your resignation to Voldemort. It’s a lifetime of service or death.



Where had he heard those words . . .Sirius . . .Sirius had been talking about his brother being killed . . .No. Pettigrew would still have to be useful for Voldemort to keep him around, so either he was a very clever actor or he was unaware of the service he was providing. While Harry suspected the latter, he couldn’t be absolutely certain. Pettigrew had proven himself to be a convincing actor. He had the rat routine down pat, anyway.



"Talk about getting into your role!" Harry muttered, grinning at his own feeble joke as he turned to Pettigrew. There was only one way that he could be entirely certain.



"Look," said Harry loudly, stowing his wand back into his pocket and turning away from Pettigrew. "I’m not in the mood to fight, all right? I’ll just get on with what I was doing then." He took a few steps away from Pettigrew. He’d been hoping that, due to Pettigrew’s owing Harry his life, that he would take this lack of aggression as a show of trust and respect it, but he’d been mistaken.



A sudden sharp intake of breath (Harry could very nearly feel the wand being raised behind his back) announced Pettigrew’s intention to curse him. Harry grabbed for his wand, only to realize with horror that it had fallen out of his pocket and onto the floor.



"Stupe-" began Pettigrew.



Levicorpus! thought Harry desperately and, to his great astonishment, Pettigrew was hoisted unceremoniously into the air, his shabby robes falling over his head, his wand clattering across the floor to land at Harry’s feet.



"You gormless worm!" snarled Harry, too astonished with his sudden demonstration of wandless magic to be too creative in his name calling. He stepped on Pettigrew’s wand, feeling it snap beneath his foot.



"Did you really think I’d have taken the chance of turning my back on you? After all you’ve done?"



"My wand!" screeched Wormtail, his eyes on the shattered bit of wood beneath Harry’s heel.



Harry, who on hearing Pettigrew’s lament had been forcibly reminded of Ron’s first reaction at seeing the Unicorn hair poking out of his own broken wand, had to fight back the sudden urge to laugh hysterically. God, he wished Ron were here to see this idiot who was now revolving slowly in mid-air, suspended by his heel!



"Put me down!" snarled Pettigrew, flailing in vain to get loose.



"In your dreams!" Harry laughed mirthlessly. "Look at you Peter, all trussed up like a pig in the slaughtering pen." He observed Pettigrew critically for nearly a minute before adding quietly, "I could kill you, you know."



Pettigrew’s small, beady eyes grew wide and he suddenly stopped moving, holding still, very still, like a rat who has been cornered.



"I should kill you," Harry added thoughtfully. He leaned almost casually against a wall, arms folded, resisting the urge to smirk at the mingled look of discomfort and terror on Pettigrew’s face.



"But to kill you I’d need my wand, wouldn’t I?" Harry added, almost as an afterthought. He glanced at his wand where it lay a good few feet away. This had better work or he would be feeling incredibly stupid.



Harry waved a hand lazily toward his wand. Accio wand! he thought fiercely, remembering the night when the Dementers had attacked him and his cousin in Little Whinging. He’d needed light to find his wand. He’d said the spell and his wand had lit, even though Harry hadn’t been touching it; if it had worked once, and then again, just now with the Levicorpus spell . . .



Without so much as a hesitation Harry’s wand flew neatly into his outstretched hand.



"You — you can do wandless magic?" said Pettigrew hoarsely, looking stunned.



"I’ve come a long way from the scared little boy I was that night in the graveyard, Peter," said Harry quietly, turning his wand over and over in his hand but not once taking his eyes off of the man suspended in mid-air above him.



"I — I could help you-" began Peter, but stopped, gulping as Harry laid the tip of his wand between Pettigrew’s eyes.



"Why would I want the help of a nasty coward and traitor, like yourself?" asked Harry reasonably.



"I — I could tell you things-" squeaked Pettigrew.



"Peter, come on!" interrupted Harry scathingly. Even if you told me everything you know right here and now, I’d still have to kill you! I mean, what’s to keep you from running back to your master? You did it once before."



"I know — I know where-"



"Yeah, I’m sure there’s lots you know," spat Harry, his dislike for the whimpering, cowardly little man growing by the minute. "You knew where my Dad and Mum were too! You were their Secret Keeper, and you betrayed them to Voldemort!"



Pettigrew cringed, his already scarlet face turning a deep plum at the sound of his master’s name.



"And then you went and pinned the blame on Sirius! You pretended to be my best mate’s pet rat for twelve years. When you were finally found out you went skulking back to your old master, using god only knows what kind of unnatural magic to bring him back. Milking snakes, Peter? Letting that foul, repulsive travesty of a child wrap its arms around your neck?"



Pettigrew shuddered uncontrollably.



"But you didn’t stop there, Peter, did you?"



Pettigrew’s eyes snapped back onto Harry’s now. He was terrified, shaking like a leaf.



"Oh no," continued Harry, tracking his wand tip over Pettigrew’s cheek, letting it trail down the older man’s neck and chest until the tip was pointing directly at Pettigrew’s chest.



"It wasn’t enough, was it? You killed Cedric! Don’t shake your head, Peter, I was there! I heard you! I saw you! He told you to kill the spare, and that is exactly what you did! And then — then, you did the spell that brought him back. You cut off your own hand to give him back his body."



He could kill him. He should! Look at what this cowardly little man was responsible for! Harry felt the hatred boiling up inside of him, a fierce, cleansing anger. Let him have a taste of his own medicine! Something of what he was feeling must have shown in Harry’s eyes, for Peter finally got up the courage to speak.



"He-he made me!" choked the little man, finally finding his voice.



"Liar," said Harry softly, looking into Pettigrew’s eyes. "There was no one standing over you Peter. No one forced you to pick up that dagger."



Harry leaned forward, putting his lips very close to Pettigrew’s ear. "No one forced you to draw my blood Peter. You chose your own path that night."



The urge to kill this sorry excuse for a human was increasing by the minute. It wouldn’t be hard. He wouldn’t even have to use an unforgivable curse. Sectumsempra would be enough; let him bleed to death, right here and now.



With some effort Harry forced himself to take a step back from the pitiful little man who had once been his Father’s best friend. "And now I chose mine," said Harry. "Unlike you, Peter, I take responsibility for my own actions." He gave his wand a wave and Wormtail fell to the floor in a heap, gasping for breath.



"There really is no need to kill you Peter, is there?" said Harry, unable to keep the sneer out of his voice.



"What — what do you mean?" wheezed Wormtail, looking up at Harry through his small, watering eyes.



"You’re holed up in this god-forsaken place . . .all alone . . .deserted by your master."



"I am here on his orders!" squawked Pettigrew. "I am his most loyal servant!" he muttered distractedly, now clutching his silver hand to his chest. "He paid me back, didn’t he?" wheezed Wormtail, holding up the shimmering hand with a look of wonder on his face.



"Oh please," said Harry in a disgusted tone. "All that hand means, Peter, is that he owns you."



Pettigrew stared at Harry uncomprehendingly.



"Yes, Peter. Voldemort giveth, and Voldemort taketh away. Do you think he really cares about you?" sneered Harry, looking the balding little man up and down. "You did him a favor. That’s all. He’ll ask something else of you one day. He’ll need a stooge, someone who will blindly obey him, someone to distract the Ministry while he and his more useful Death Eaters slip by. You’ll die in the process Peter, but that’s only to be expected, isn’t it? I mean, you’re not much use for anything else."



Peter was now looking from his Hand to Harry and back again, as if unable to believe what Harry was saying.



"Go turn yourself into a rat Peter. Go join your mates in the sewers, why don’t you? That’s where you belong after all."



Harry turned his back on the little man, but not before he heard him whisper, "I don’t know if it’s of any use. Maybe you’ll be able to understand it, but check out the gardener’s cottage."



Harry looked over his shoulder, uncertain if he’d heard properly, but only caught a glimpse of a long, piebald tale slipping beneath the floorboard. Pettigrew was gone.



* * *



Harry had been hoping for the small golden cup - the one he’d seen in the Pensieve - to be sitting prominently in the center of the kitchen table, perhaps with a nice little spotlight pinpointing its exact location.



What he found was a small, cramped, one room cottage littered with days, weeks, perhaps even years worth of detritus. In one corner, unwashed dishes filled the sink; crisp packets and butter beer bottles mingling with cardboard food boxes from Muggle food shops. Odd pieces of clothing lay tangled up with the blankets of the narrow, unmade bed pushed against one wall. Haphazardly stacked piles of Daily Prophets vied with burnt out candle stubs, crumpled up pieces of parchment, stacks of dusty spell books and a rusting pewter cauldron for space on the rickety table in the center of the room.



Harry doubted very much if Frank Bryce had left the cottage in this condition. In fact, it was a sure bet that he hadn’t left the newspapers or the spell books, and definitely not the cauldron. It looked as if Harry had finally found the rat’s bolt hole.



Harry shuddered as he realized just how foolish he had been to sleep unguarded in enemy territory, for the tumbledown outbuilding he’d spent his nights in was abutted to the wall of the gardener’s cottage. Had he been sleeping just feet from Peter these last three nights? If Pettigrew knew he’d been staying there, why hadn’t he killed Harry in his sleep? It wouldn’t have been difficult, Harry hadn’t even bothered to lock the shed door.



It didn’t take long to sift through the layers of rubbish. Harry was thumbing through the spell books, silently cursing Wormtail for another dead end when several yellowing pieces of parchment fluttered from between the pages of a book on candle magic.



Harry scooped them up off of the floor, his heart pounding faster as he realized that the pages had been torn from another book, a very old book, to judge from the antiquated spelling and elegant flourishes to the letters. He puzzled over it for several minutes before carefully tucking it in his pack. It was going to take some time to decipher this lot, and he could think of only one place where he would be able to that in relative peace and safety.


* * *



 


It was amazing, thought Harry as he let himself into number twelve Grimmauld Place, as to just how much difference getting rid of the Bandimuns had made on the atmosphere of the whole house. Not only was the overpowering smell of mold completely gone, but even the windows seemed to be letting in more light. It was as if some sort of curtain or veil that had been cloaking number twelve had finally been stripped away letting the sunlight in for the first time in decades; centuries even.



Harry lit the fire in the kitchen fireplace with a wave of his wand before taking a mini-meal out of his knapsack. There was a bottle too. He pulled it out, frowning at the label. A merlot? The bottle was old and dusty, probably one of the ones from the Riddle’s wine cellar. Funny though, he couldn’t remember putting any of the bottles in his sack.



Harry sat staring at the label for several minutes before pulling the cork. He waved his wand over the bottle and muttered "Specialis Revelio!" Nothing happened. Which only meant, Harry thought darkly, that no potion or part of a potion had been added to the wine. It could still be poisoned.



"And who, exactly, would have poisoned a bottle of wine that’s been in the Riddle’s wince cellar for the last fifty years?" Harry wondered out loud. "God, I’m starting to sound like Mad Eye! Look at me, next thing you know I’ll be turning people into Ferrets!" With a snort of amusement, Harry conjured a glass out of thin air and poured himself a generous serving. Who knows, depending on what showed up for supper, he just might need a stiff drink.



Harry tossed the mini-meal cube from hand to hand for a moment before finally pulling the tab, grinning as the small cube unfolded itself into a tray of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and applesauce. That was one thing about the mini-meals, they weren’t labeled, you never knew what you were going to get. If nothing else it made for interesting meals, especially when you opened chicken teriyaki for breakfast or kippers and eggs for supper.



He hadn’t realized just how hungry he was until the scent of the chicken met his nose and he began taking great bites of his supper. The pages would wait. Now ever Hermione could expect him to translate this lot properly on an empty stomach.



* * *



 


 


Two hours later Harry leaned back in the rickety chair, an amazed smile on his face, re-reading the words he had just written and wondering what Hermione would think if she could see this information on the castle that quite obviously had never been included in Hogwarts; a History;



 




There is a power in the very walls and foundations of the noble halls of Hogwarts. No one who has been to the very roots of the castle can argue that this is so. It is told in story and rhyme that the location for the school was chosen because of the potent and ancient magic contained in the land itself.



Added to the powerful magic stored in the land on which it stands, the four founders fused into the very foundations and walls of the school the magical protection afforded to them by the Objects of Power that had been passed down in their respective families for generations and which were made all the more powerful for being brought back to the location of their origins.



According to the most ancient of texts, it is purported that each of the four objects; the mirror of Gryffindor, the Locket of Slytherin, the Cup of Hufflepuff and the Harp of Ravenclaw, has a high magical potency and is supposed to have powers related to its physical form, which in turn is connected by various means to it’s respective governing element.



While the exact nature of the supposed magical powers attributed to each object varies from telling to telling, the categorical types of powers remain the same; wisdom, power, healing and accurate oracular visions.



So great has been the obsession with these objects, that the multitudes of stories that have grown up around each of the items have even insinuated themselves into Muggle folk lore and legend. Muggle fairy tales are full of magic harps and mirrors, as well as cursed lockets and goblets of unimaginable power.



Most beloved of all the stories told, whether by Wizards or Muggles, is that of the One who will reunite the objects of power and use them for the betterment of mankind.



Known to the Muggles as The Once and Future King and in the wizarding world as He Who Will Heal Our Land, the individual spoken of in every account uses the objects, which he has finally reunited at great personal cost, to drive an ancient evil from the world and reunites the warring factions of humanity under a banner of peace and prosperity.





"Wow!" breathed Harry, reading the translation through for the third time. "No wonder Voldemort wanted them all for himself!"



Items that powerful would make the perfect choice for Horcruxes, and Voldemort’s own desire to keep the bits of his soul safe, combined with the natural powers of the individual objects, would make it extremely difficult for anyone to find the objects at all, let alone bring all four objects together again which, of course, also served Voldemort’s purposes perfectly. He, after all, had not been collecting the items for their power to heal the world, but for the other powers they possessed which were spectacular in and of themselves.



What exactly did he know about the four remaining Horcruxes? Harry pulled out another piece of parchment, loaded up and his quill, took another sip of wine (he was on his third glass now, and felt — instead of groggy and sleepy as he’d been half expecting — incredibly aware and alert) and began to write.







































Or perhaps, just perhaps there was more to Voldemort’s desire to return to Hogwarts than just the ancient magic purported to be accessible there. Perhaps there was something at Hogwarts that he wanted, something that was of great personal value to him but which he had been unable to remove while he was a student . . . .or something that had come to Hogwarts after he had left the school?



Harry poured the remainder of the wine into his glass and took a sip as he contemplated the facts.



Voldemort had applied for a teaching post just after Dumbledore had been appointed Headmaster; when had that been? Was there something significant about the timing? Also, Snape had come to teach at Hogwarts just after Harry’s parents had died. He had claimed that he was devastated by their death. Dumbledore had believed him and had given him a job and his protection.



It was obvious, after the events in June that Snape had been working as a double agent the entire time he’d been working at Hogwarts. What if it hadn’t only been information he’d been collecting? What if he’d been looking for something — else? But if Snape hadn’t found what he’d been looking for in sixteen years, what made Harry think that if he could somehow sneak back into Hogwarts that he’d be able to find the item he was looking for, provided he even knew exactly what it was he was looking for.



It could take decades to search every corner of Hogwarts — the unknowable room alone, the one where Malfoy had hidden the vanishing cabinet and Harry the Potions book belonging to the Half Blood Prince; that room alone could take years all by itself! God, the very thought of searching Hogwarts made him feel incredibly sleepy.



Harry looked down at his list, taped his quill against the parchment, ink droplets splattered in a spray pattern across the surface of his list; a few landing on the tabletop where a dried blot of scarlet ink stood testament to the last letter that had been written here. He could feel his eyes unfocusing. He could see again the words he had written. In fact, he had been sitting just here, hadn’t he?



Dearest Ginny . . .



Harry shook his head, attempting to clear it. He couldn’t be thinking about Ginny, not now, there was so much to do! He looked back at his list, trying to concentrate on the points he had already made, but other thoughts, thoughts about Ginny, kept intruding, coupled with a warm, fuzzy feeling that seemed to be creeping into his extremeties.



Had Lupin given Ginny the letter? Had she read it yet? What would she think? Would she understand?



You were right Gin, I would have blamed you if I had stayed, and I would have stayed if I had read that letter before I’d left. How could I have left, knowing that you love me? Especially now that I’m going to go ahead and say something that I promised myself that I wouldn’t say to you —



I love you too, Ginny.



I’m sorry, more sorry than you can possibly know, that you have to read these words instead of hearing me say them. God, I’d give anything to tell you in person, but I’m afraid I’m a coward; not about telling you that I love you, but because I have a sneaking suspicion that if I were to tell you in person I would use every excuse in the book to avoid having to leave you again, and you of all people should understand why I have to do this.



I have to stop him Ginny, it may be that I’m the only one who can. You can tell Hermione that stopping Voldemort should be right up my alley, she always did say that I had a "Saving People" thing, well, here’s my chance to prove just how good I am at it.



It had taken him hours to write the letter. He’d been up until nearly dawn the night before Lupin had taken him in for his Apparition test, and it hadn’t been until just before they’d left for the Ministry that Harry had hastily rewritten the ending. He went over it now in his head as he finished his wine gazing into the crackling flames, feeling his body getting heavier . . .and heavier . . .



It would have made it so easy, Ginny, to go to meet him; to go to meet Voldemort with nothing to loose and only myself to worry about. But you had to go and make it difficult for me, didn’t you? You had to go and give me a reason to walk out of this alive. I mean, if I belong to you I can’t go around getting myself killed now, can I?



I’m going to finish this Ginny. I’m going to finish this and then I’m going to find you and collect on your promise and when I do, when Voldemort is gone and I have you in my arms again, perhaps then we can get on with living.



Love always,



Your Harry



 


* * *



Harry awoke with a start what must have been hours later (judging from the stone cold fireplace and remnants of congealed mashed potato), his face glued to the crumbling pages he had brought with him from the gardener’s cottage, every muscle in his body screaming out in agony from having been in one position for so long.



He stumped around the kitchen for several minutes, trying to force some life back into his tingling limbs and aching joints; some semblance of comprehension back into his sleep-fogged brain, but it was rough going.



For one thing, his watch hands were both pointing to twelve, which meant — seeing as that it wasn’t night time - that either his watch was malfunctioning, or he had been asleep for at least eighteen hours.



Was it possible to sleep for eighteen hours in one stretch? God, he must have been more tired that he’d thought! Or perhaps the run-in with Wormtail had really drained him, physically as well as emotionally.



Harry wolfed down another mini-meal and set to work on the list he’d made the previous evening. The connections were much easier to make in the light of day with a solid night’s sleep (all right, two nights worth of sleep) under his belt.



It was obvious; at least one of the missing Horcruxes had been hidden in Hogwarts. That was the only possible reason Voldemort had been so keen to be hired on as a teacher, and a sure reason he had installed Snape there with what had appeared (at least to Dumbledore) to be an impeccable cover story. In fact —



Harry found himself standing by the fireplace, grinning madly as he remembered a long ago day, when a much younger version of himself had slipped through the forbidden third floor corridor door with Ron and Hermione to find a snoring Fluffy and an abandoned harp.



A harp!



The harp?



Harry began pacing up and down before the fire, considering. Was it possible that the harp Quirrell had used to play Fluffy to sleep had been one of the Horcruxes? But how would Quirrell have come by it? Had Voldemort found it when he was in school? Had he hidden it, and then guided Quirrell to it? But why would he have left it unguarded for so very long?



But he hadn’t left it unguarded, had he? He’d sent Snape to guard it! Was that one of the reasons Snape had been sent to Hogwarts? Was he supposed to have been guarding one of the Horcruxes?



But Voldemort had thought Snape had left him forever, hadn’t he? He thought that Snape had deserted him, so he had Quirrell steal it right out from under Snape’s greasy hooked nose. If Voldemort thought that Snape had betrayed him, he wouldn’t have let him in on the plan to steal the Sorcerer’s Stone, either. And Snape, still acting under Voldemort’s original orders to collect information about Dumbledore, to guard the Horcrux, not realizing who it was Quirrell was working for, would have taken the theft as a personal insult. No wonder he’d tried to stop him!



Harry shivered slightly as he remembered Snape’s threatening words to Quirrell there in the Forbidden Forest; "You don’t want me as your enemy, Quirrell."



"As usual, Potter, you have put your keen and penetrating mind to the problem and have come to the wrong conclusion."



Harry stopped dead, entire families of centipedes suddenly erupting up the length of his spine at hearing the words Sirius had used on Snape in the Shrieking Shack over three years ago thrown back at him in the oily tones of the very person who had been occupying his thoughts.



Snape!



He turned abruptly, wand in hand, to find himself looking at an empty kitchen.



"Show yourself!" Harry hissed, his eyes darting from table to counter, from stove to chair to door. The hairs on his neck began to prickle, on instinct he shouted "Protego!"



The curse he’d felt rather than heard, ricocheted off Harry’s shield, shooting back towards a section of the wall which suddenly shivered — and shifted sideways. A moment a section of the wall had detached itself from the rest of the wall and was striding toward him (striding?).



"Stupefy!" shouted Harry, but the wizard disillusioned to look like a wall blocked the curse and kept coming. Now he was part of the stove . . . the table . . . a chair . . . the mantelpiece. Harry, his eyes narrowed in concentration, kept the shivering shimmer that betrayed the wizard’s location in sight.



"Impedimenta! Expelliarmus! Patrificus Totalus!" Curse after curse after spell rebounded off the continually shifting shimmer which Harry was intent on keeping as far away from himself as possible.



He was beginning to wonder if it was possible that he was still dreaming. After all, the wizard, if it was indeed a wizard, had yet to speak a single word not even to retaliate with a single curse or hex. Perhaps the voice he’d heard as he stood before the fire had been nothing but his own imagination. God, he was going to feel so stupid if he turned out to be hurling hexes at a figment of his own imagination!



"What the hell do you want from me!" Harry yelled finally, and was rewarded this time with a dry chuckle.



He knew that laugh! The anger welling up in him was terrible in its intensity. There was a red haze clouding his vision now, obscuring the shimmering, obscuring everything but the need to lash out — to hurt Snape as badly as Snape had hurt him. Only once before had he felt anger this all consuming, and that had been as he’d pursued Bellatrix Lestrange up the highly polished halls of the Ministry after she sent Sirius reeling through the Death Arch.



"It is you!" spat Harry, lunging toward the last place he had seen the betraying shimmer. He stopped suddenly, grasping his throat and gagging slightly as his tongue stuck fast to the roof of his mouth; he’d been hit with the Langlock curse.



"Incarcerous!" said the voice coolly, almost casually, and before Harry could move to defend himself he found himself shoved roughly into a chair by unseen hands even as thick rough ropes sprung up out of thin air and bound him binding him to his seat.



"Your thoughts betray you, Potter," said Snape softly, his face materializing out of thin air just inches in front of Harry’s nose. "I have always said it would be your downfall."



Unable to speak, Harry glared at the man he had last seen dashing from the Hogwarts grounds, Dumbledore’s blood fresh upon his hands.



"You blame me for Dumbledore’s death, yes?" Snape’s eyes were dark tunnels, absorbing Harry’s pain with a sort of demented glee. "Ah yes, and for the death of your sainted parents and your darling godfather."



Harry continued to glare. What was the counter curse for Langlock, anyway?



"It’s Langlibra," said Snape, sounding amused. "For all the good it will do you without your wand."



Langlibra! thought Harry furiously, and was rewarded by his tongue springing free. "Blame you?" spat Harry, feeling himself go very cold as Snape’s cold black eyes bored into him, eyebrows arched as he realized what Harry had done. "Blame you? Of course I blame you! You killed him! I saw you! I heard you! I was there, Snape! I watched you do it!"



"Once again, Potter, you demonstrate your uncanny ability to jump to unjustified conclusions."



"Unjustified!" roared Harry, straining at his ropes. "You used the killing curse! Dumbledore trusted you! To the last he trusted you, and you betrayed him! He begged you for help and you killed him!"



A spasm momentarily twisted Snape’s features, but an instant later his familiar sneer was firmly in place.



"You have no idea what you saw." Snape’s voice was low and dangerous and Harry was suddenly very much aware of the fact that he was bound tightly to his chair, unable to move, at the mercy of a Death Eater who had already proved himself capable of killing in cold blood.



Snape reached a yellow nailed hand into his robes and Harry cringed, expecting at the very least to find himself on the receiving end of the older man’s wand. Instead, Snape pulled out a folded newspaper which he slammed upon the table in front of Harry.



"Once again, Potter, I’ve saved your worthless neck. Not that I expect thanks." He took a step towards the kitchen door, but turned at the last minute, eyeing Harry with something very like amusement in his eyes. "Oh yes. I recommend that unless you wish to find yourself in the company of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named that you leave immediately. He has been dying to know the location of the Headquarters of the Order, and it is my happy lot to be able to tell him that the Fideleous Charm has finally worn off. It was an exceptionally powerful charm, to have lasted this long beyond the caster’s death but, he was a powerful wizard." With that, Snape turned, and swept out of the room, leaving a swirl of dust motes dancing in the lone ray of sunshine that was shining through the now nearly transparent basement window above the sink.



 



Back to index


Chapter 6: INTERLUDE







DCHAPTER SIX: INTERLUDE


 


Ginny stood at the top of the house, looking down out of Ron’s window on a deceptively serene looking summer afternoon. What she wouldn’t give to be outside, right now; preferably playing Quidditch with Ron, Hermione and Harry; or working in the garden even; hell, she’d even pitch gnomes at this point, anything to get out of the house!


But she was stuck; stuck inside a house where things were anything but serene; where her mum talked to herself as she peeled potatoes or folded laundry, sometimes bursting into tears for absolutely no reason whatsoever; stuck inside a house where every time she turned around she found Ron and Hermione with their heads together, talking earnestly (about Harry she presumed, seeing as that they would stop talking every time they saw her looking at them); stuck inside of a house where members of the order were always coming and going, speaking in whispers and throwing up imperturbable charms at the drop of a hat. Not that it mattered.


Ginny touched the bracelet on her wrist, allowing herself a small half smile. It was a wholly unremarkable bracelet; a simple gold chain on which were hung a number of gold discs, each one engraved with a runic symbol which also stood for a number. Hermione had remarked on the runic symbols, asking Ginny why she was wearing a bracelet with numbers on it.


"Reminds me to count to ten before I loose my temper," Ginny had replied brightly, and Hermione had gone away; if not satisfied, at least no longer curious.


Served her right for not noticing the matching earrings and putting two and two together, thought Ginny wryly, listening to Ron’s and Hermione’s voices discussing the subject that everyone in the house (or out of it, from the look of today’s Prophet) had on their minds.


Ginny kicked at today’s Prophet where it lay tented on Ron’s cluttered bedroom floor. It showed a large picture of Harry in full Quidditch gear, leaning casually on his Firebolt.


"WHERE IS HARRY POTTER?"


The headlines said it all, and what they didn’t say, Rita Skeeter said with some eloquence and not a little drama in her two page article. And for once Hermione didn’t seem to mind. Rita was only saying what everyone was thinking. Where was Harry? The wizarding world was in an uproar, and the Order of the Phoenix was in a dither. Harry, it seemed, had disappeared from the wizarding world as completely as if he had been erased. No one had seen him since he had left the Ministry of Magic on the 31st of July.


About mid-August Lupin, who was by this time beginning to get concerned himself, had told the Order about Harry’s determination to go to the Riddle House when they had parted at the Ministry. This news had, not unexpectedly, been met with a general uproar. Her mum was furious with Lupin for letting Harry go off on his own, for at the very least not sending an Auror with him.


"What was I supposed to do, tie him down?" Lupin had asked dryly when Molly had verbally attacked him after he’d announced Harry’s intentions.


"You could have stopped him!" her mother had said, outraged. "Talked him out of it, refused to let him go, something!"


"He’s seventeen Molly, I can’t tell him what to do anymore, as much as I would like to."


There had been a Ministry search of the Riddle House not long after this, but they had found nothing, as Ginny had known they wouldn’t. Harry hadn’t. Or rather, what he’d found hadn’t been in the Riddle House itself. But this wasn’t something she could tell them. She knew that the Order was now keeping a discreet eye on the Riddle House (for all the good it was do. Harry was long gone from there by the time they’d gotten around to keeping an eye on it).


She did tell Ron and Hermione about the Order keeping an eye on the Riddle House. But they hadn’t questioned her as to how she’d obtained this particular bit of information, not like they had when she’d told them about the planned search of Snape’s last known residence at Spinner’s End; not like they had when she’d told them about what had been found there; about how the Ministry had located Bellatrix Lestrange, but then had lost the two Aurors who had gone after her.


Maybe they had already heard about the Order watching the Riddle House, more likely they were becoming used to Ginny seeming to have ears everywhere which wasn’t, thought Ginny, touching another of the gold discs, so very far gone from the truth after all.


Ginny knew that she should tell Ron and Hermione how it was she always seemed to know what was happening in the Order’s meetings before even Fred and George got around to telling them (as they usually did, usually with only a minimal amount of pleading and/or bribery on Ron and Hermione’s parts), but some contrary-wise demon, probably the same one that gave her a nasty jolt every time she walked in on Ron and Hermione alone in a room together; (an occurrence that was happening with more regularity as the summer progressed) wouldn’t let her.


Let them stew. She was the only one who could say with any certainty that Harry was alive and well and, while she had about as much certainty of his exact location as the rest of the Order, she did know where he’d been last and a shrewd idea of where he was now, which was more than they did.


She should tell the Order; at least tell them that he was alive and well, but that would involve telling them how she knew, and she wasn’t ready to tell anyone that yet. Not only would she probably get in trouble with her parents, and most likely be put on Fred and George’s black list (seeing as that it was in a roundabout way, their fault she knew as much as she did) and besides, the Order would they want to take the means away from her, they would want to use it for themselves. They would say that it was in Harry’s best interest, but they didn’t care about him; not really, well, Lupin and Tonks might, but the rest? Ginny sighed deeply.


The rest of them cared about ending the war, about Voldemort being destroyed; about wiping out the Death Eaters. They didn’t care how this was done precisely; she’d heard Moody say just that! If Harry couldn’t be found, if he was ‘out of the equation’ what came next? Who could they turn to? What was the plan? For all their moral sincerity, sometimes the Order made her sick.


And it wasn’t just the Order’s attitude. If she told them what she knew; if she turned over the means of her knowledge, they would also be able to figure out how it was that she always seemed to know what the Order had discussed behind closed doors, and she wasn’t ready to turn over the one advantage she had, especially now that her mum had seen fit to ensure that none of them could leave the house without supervision after her dad had received a direct threat on his and his family’s lives.


No one had told them this of course. They didn’t want ‘the kids’ as they’d called her and Ron and Hermione, getting too worried. As if they weren’t worried already! It was obvious, at least from Ginny’s point of view, that Voldemort and his faithful were taking full advantage of Dumbledore’s being out of the picture.


The increase in attacks on Order members and known Dumbledore supporters in the last month had become downright alarming. Most members of the Order were taking extreme precautions, a number of them had dropped out of sight altogether, going into hiding so deep not even other Order members could find them.


She assured herself that were Harry to be in any real danger, she’d be the first to know. She could alert the Order, or at the very least convince Ron and Hermione to come with her if he needed rescuing


"He could be at Hogwarts already." Ron’s voice, so very eager in its need to be right broke through her musings and she snorted, earning her a reproachful glance from Hermione.


"Well, he could!" insisted Ron. His face wore an expression of anxious hopefulness that Ginny found rather pitiable. "I mean, I know he said that he wouldn’t be coming back this year, but-"


"Ron!" Hermione’s tone was sharp and Ginny felt, rather than heard the look that Hermione gave her brother.


"It’s all right, Hermione," said Ginny quietly. "I know what Harry said, about not coming back to Hogwarts this year."


Ron gaped at her but Hermione’s eyes narrowed in suspicion. "How could you possibly know about that?" she said slowly. "We were alone when he told us that."


"Yes, it was after the funeral," said Ginny dismissively. "After he - erm — broke up with me."


"Stupid git," muttered Ron, but was hushed by a reproving glance from Hermione.


"It didn’t, ah, look much like he’d broken up with you at the wedding," said Hermione carefully, a smile playing around her lips.


"He thought he was doing the noble thing, breaking up with me," said Ginny, allowing herself a smirk. "You know, protecting the fair damsel and all of that."


Hermione actually giggled. "Yes, he would think like that, wouldn’t he? It fits. He goes off saving people, so he assumes that by breaking up with you that he’ll save you from a fate worse than death or something."


"Death would be enough, thanks," said Ginny, wrinkling her nose. She shivered slightly, remembering an account she’d overheard at one of the Order’s meetings; a nineteen year old witch had been abducted by a group of Death Eaters who were passing through the town where she lived. She had been put under the Imperious curse, and then used as a sort of sex slave for three whole months according to her account.


The Death Eaters had turned the witch loose when they were done with her, assuming no doubt that between the Imperious curse she’s been under and the Befuddlement charm they put on her before they let her go, that she would be confused enough to keep her from ratting them out. The girl however, had remembered enough to give the Aurors who had questioned her a detailed description of each of the Death Eaters in question. Ginny hadn’t told Ron and Hermione about this particular incident, though it did explain why Hermione had not been allowed to return to her home over the summer and why both Ginny’s mother and father were being more than their usual protective selves.


"But Ginny," said Ron, doggedly pursuing Hermione’s original theme. "How did you know what he’d said?"


"Maybe he told me," said Ginny, with a mischievous grin.


"Or maybe you found out the same way that you find out everything else that’s going on," said Ron, pointing an accusing finger at her. "Fess up Gin, how are you doing it?"


"Extendables?" asked Hermione hopefully.


"What, with all the Imperturbable charms this lot use?" said Ginny derisively, "please! Besides," she added, with a shrug. "Most of the times when they’re having meetings, mum bans us all up here, and you haven’t seen me using any, have you?"


"Well, no, but-"


"You haven’t been using Legilimency have you?" asked Ron shrewdly.


"Legilimency takes eye contact, Ron," Hermione pointed out.


"Yeah, I suppose. So how are you doing it then, Gin?"


"I’d rather not say at the moment," said Ginny enigmatically.


"Well, it can’t be magic, cause you’re still not allowed to use it outside of school," said Ron with just enough emphasis on the word you’re to remind Ginny that he, having reached the mature age of seventeen, could now do magic outside of school, while she, only just having turned sixteen, could not, or at least wasn’t supposed to.


She smiled serenely at him, and was rewarded by watching the tips of his ears turn red.


"Now look here Gin!" he said pompously, sounding so much like Percy that it was all she could do not to burst out laughing. "You know underage wizards aren’t supposed to do magic outside of school. It’s against wizarding law."


"Give me a break, won won, said Ginny, imitating Lavender’s breathy endearment so precisely that Ron went purple. "How in heaven’s name do you think that Fred and George managed to come up with all of their trick stuff while they were at Hogwarts? They made most of it during the summer — using magic I might add. We’re not supposed to do magic, but if we’re careful . . ."she shrugged delicately and watched in amusement as Ron puffed himself up like a self-righteous toad.


"I’m a prefect, Ginny, I’ll have to report you, you know that."


"Actually," said Hermione, sounding very much as if she would like to burst out laughing herself, "you’re Head Boy, Ron, according to your letter."


"Exactly!" said Ron triumphantly, shaking his finger under Ginny’s nose. "So if I catch so much as a hint of underage magic-"


"Of course being Head Boy, or even a Prefect, gives you no authority whatsoever over your sister during the summer holidays," said Hermione thoughtfully.


Ron stopped in mid rant, staring at Hermione as if he’d never seen her before, especially as she began quoting a ministry statute. "The regulation of underage magic, in wizarding households at least, is the duty of the wizarding parent, that’s according to sub section 23 of-"


"Are you saying that you approve of her using magic outside of school?" spluttered Ron indignantly.


"She never said she was using magic," said Hermione sweetly. "Of course, if you actually caught her at it, you could of course report her infringement to the proper authorities, in this case your parents."


"Oh, there will be no need of that," said Ginny coolly, crossing her arms and watching Ron from narrowed eyes.


"What, you don’t think I have the nerve to report you to mum and dad?" asked Ron. He sounded distinctly ruffled, and Ginny had to bite her lip to restrain a giggle as he ran a hand through his already rumpled hair, standing it on end so that he looked as if he’d just flown his broom through a thunder storm. "I’d do it you know. Don’t think I wouldn’t!"


"Yes," said Ginny thoughtfully, "I’m sure you would. And it would be the right thing to do after all. No, it’s just I just know that you’ll never catch me at it is all," said Ginny allowing herself a mischievous grin.


"Ha! So you are using magic to spy on the Order! I knew it!" crowed Ron.


"It doesn’t matter what I’m using, or not using," said Ginny, turning her back on the pair of them and slipping her hands into the pocket of her jeans. Her fingers folded themselves around a piece of parchment that she’d carried with her everywhere since it had arrived on the evening of Harry’s birthday.


A letter from Harry.


It hadn’t arrived by owl, which had been something a relief, seeing as that she would have had to share its contents with Ron and Hermione at the very least, and, at the worst, with the entire Order so they could assure themselves of Harry’s safety.


No, Lupin had given it to her himself, slipping it into her hand as he’d given hugs all around and told them all about Harry’s eventful day at the Ministry. He’d arrived for supper on the 31st with Mr. Weasley, and without Harry, which had been a blow to Mrs. Weasley who had prepared a cake and everything in anticipation of her husband being able to convince Harry to come back to the Burrow.


Her mum had been so upset that Ginny had no trouble whatsoever slipping out of the house and up to the small clearing at the top of the hill. She’d known the letter was coming, but not what it would say, and her hands had been trembling as she’d removed the seal Harry had bound it with and had begun to read.


Dearest Ginny


You were right Gin, I would have blamed you if I had stayed, and I would have stayed if I had read that letter before I’d left. How could I have left, knowing that you love me? Especially now that I’m going to go ahead and say something that I promised myself that I wouldn’t say to you —


I love you too, Ginny.


I’m sorry, more sorry than you can possibly know, that you have to read these words instead of hearing me say them. God, I’d give anything to tell you in person, but I’m afraid I’m a coward; not about telling you that I love you, but because I have a sneaking suspicion that if I were to tell you in person I would use every excuse in the book to avoid having to leave you again, and you of all people should understand why I have to do this.


I have to stop him Ginny. It may be that I’m the only one who can. You can tell Hermione that stopping Voldemort should be right up my alley, she always did say that I had a "Saving People" thing, well, here’s my chance to prove just how good I am at it.


It would have made it so easy, Ginny, to go to meet him; to go to meet Voldemort with nothing to loose and only myself to worry about. But you had to go and make it difficult for me, didn’t you? You had to go and give me a reason to walk out of this alive. I mean, if I belong to you I can’t go around getting myself killed now, can I?


I’m going to finish this Ginny. I’m going to finish this and then I’m going to find you and collect on your promise and when I do, when Voldemort is gone and I have you in my arms again, perhaps then we can get on with living.


Love always,


Your Harry


 


She’d carried the letter with her ever since the day it had arrived; re-reading it every chance she got; sleeping with tucked beneath her pillow.


He loved her.


She could stand anything now; even Ron’s everlasting interrogations.


"What do you think, Ginny?" Hermione’s voice, so reasonable in its tone took Ginny entirely by surprise. She’d become so used to Ron’s line of questioning, at his continual haranguing to tell her how she was coming by her information, that she’d become adept at tuning it out altogether and only looking as if she were listening.


"I’m sorry, say that again?" asked Ginny, feeling rather foolish as she looked around at the pair who were seated, side by side on Ron’s bed.


God, they looked so good together, so comfortable that it made Ginny’s heart ache. The way Ron was sitting, with his arm angled behind Hermione’s back so that she was leaning just slightly against his shoulder. Granted, she hadn’t seen anything yet to confirm her suspicions of their obvious attraction to each other, but it was only a matter of time. She wondered with a start of concern, what Harry would think if he were to come back and find that his two best friends had become an item.


"Well, Ron was mentioning about how the Prophet is putting out the story that he may be dead," said Hermione tentatively. "And I said that it’s ridiculous; that if the Death Eaters or Voldemort had killed Harry, that they’d make as big a deal of it as possible, to demoralize the wizarding world if nothing else."


"Sounds about right," said Ginny grimly. "That’s exactly what they’d do."


"But what do you think?" asked Ron abruptly. He was watching Ginny closely, a shrewd, appraising look on his face. "Where do you think he is? What do you think has happened to him?"


"I think he found something at the Riddle House," said Ginny quietly, keeping her gaze firmly on the garden, where the gnomes, having gone unchecked for over two weeks, were now thick on the ground, grubbing around Mrs. Weasley’s flowers and terrorizing the chickens.


She felt the look Ron and Hermione exchanged behind her back and allowed herself a small smile, unseen by either of them. Let them think she was psychic. Let them think that she was using some sort of magic. It didn’t matter. What mattered was that she knew the truth.


"He found something and he took it somewhere where he could examine it in peace." Her hand wandered to the disc dangling from the earring in her right ear, she rubbed it idly, a gesture so familiar to the others that it didn’t even register anymore. "If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say he went back to Grimmauld Place."


"Grimmauld Place!" shrieked Hermione so loudly that Ginny winced and Crookshanks, who had been purring contentedly on her lap, leapt down at once, looking affronted.


"Where else would he have to go?" asked Ginny reasonably, looking at Hermione with something very much like pity before stooping down to scratch Crookshanks (who was now wrapping himself around her ankles) behind the ears. "He can’t go back to those nasty Muggles he lives with, and if he came here, mum would give him no rest whatsoever, she’d insist that he turn whatever it is over to the Order."


"And she’d be right!" exclaimed Hermione, sounding close to tears. "Oh Ginny, do you really think he was in Grimmauld Place?"


"Yes," said Ginny simply. "Yes I do."


Hermione burst into bitter sobs, burying her head in Ron’s shoulder. Ron looked startled, but recovered himself immediately, wrapping his arms loosely around her and smoothing her hair.


"Shh, Hermione, its okay," he whispered, his voice oddly gruff. "It’s all right. He’ll be okay, you’ll see."


"How — how can you be sure?" asked Hermione, lifting her tear streaked face to his.


Whether on instinct, or by pure dumb luck, Ron chose exactly the right thing to do at that moment, and that was to gently wipe Hermione’s tears away with his free hand, finally letting his lips linger, ever so lightly on her forehead; more of a comforting gesture than a romantic one, but there was no mistaking the way Hermione’s breath caught in her chest, or the glimmer of hope — a hope completely unrelated to Harry’s safety — that entered her eyes in the briefest of seconds.


"’Mione, listen, even if he was — is in Grimmauld Place, there’s nothing that says he’s not perfectly all right," said Ron reasonably. "We don’t know what happened to the place after all."


"But it’s gone!" whispered Hermione, her face twisted with horror. "You heard Moody, they thought the same thing, that Harry might have gone there after he got back from the Riddle House. They went to Grimmauld Place just last week, and they couldn’t find it! It was like it had disappeared off the face of the earth!"


"It’s there," whispered Ginny, and she could feel both of their gazes snap onto her as one. "Harry’s inside number twelve. He’s inside and he’s alive."


"How do you know!" came Hermione’s strangled whisper.


"I just — know," said Ginny softly. Her fingers caressed the disc in her right ear and she allowed herself a small smile as she wondered what they would think if they could hear what she could; the slight, distant echo of soft, rhythmic snores; Harry’s snores.


 


 



Back to index


Chapter 7: THE FIRST BASTION







"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."


~Douglas Adams



 


"When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize my friends are my energy."


~Anonymous



 


CHAPTER SEVEN: THE FIRST BASTION



 


 


Harry felt the ground solidify beneath his feet even as the constricting bands around his chest (a now familiar, though still unpleasant side-affect of Apparating) eased, allowing him to take in great gulps of air, which promptly sent him into spasms of coughing as the acrid smoke filled his lungs.



He took a step forward, eyes streaming, and stumbled over an unexpected obstacle; Mrs. Weasley’s clock, or what remained of it, lay face up in a pile of rubble, it’s nine hands now all melted together, fused to the clock’s face in a formless lump of molten metal.



Harry starred, uncomprehendingly, at the clock, unable to tear his eyes away. It was true then. He’d freed himself from the ropes that had bound him barely minutes after Snape had left, then had stuffed his notes and the newspaper Snape had left on the table into his knapsack before slipping out of the house under the cover of his invisibility cloak.



He’d had a rather bad moment when he’d turned to make certain that Grimmauld Place was still there, only to find that it wasn’t. He’d tried saying Dumbledore’s note over in his mind – nothing. He’d looked again at where the house should be, Snape’s final words ringing in his ears:



". . .it is my happy lot to be able to tell him that the Fideleous Charm has finally worn off. It was an exceptionally powerful charm, to have lasted this long beyond the caster’s death but, he was a powerful wizard"



But if Dumbledore’s Fideleous charm had worn off, shouldn’t he be able to see the house now? Shouldn’t it be clearly visible, just like every other house in the square? Unless. . . an entire family of centipedes made their way slowly up his spine as more of what Snape had said filtered into his adrenaline drenched brain;



"Once again, Potter, I’ve saved your worthless neck. Not that I expect thanks."



Still covered in the cloak, Harry had waited, perched on the roof of a house across the square, to see what would happen. He hadn’t had long to wait. Barely five minutes after he had scrambled to the top of the roof, Death Eaters began Apparating into the afternoon shadows which were beginning to lengthen and stretch across the pavements of Grimmauld Place.



At least two dozen of them had converged on the decrepit patch of grass in the center of the square. They looked like creatures from some sort of surrealistic nightmare; completely out of place here, on a Muggle street, with dark green bulging bin bags providing an odd contrast to the pale cloaked and hooded figures, each sightless hood facing in the direction where number twelve should have been; and then one Death Eater had stepped out from the others, his wand held high as he spoke his rasping incantation into the sultry summer afternoon. Harry felt his heart and stomach trade places; he recognized that voice! He had heard it just minutes ago in the kitchen of number twelve.



Snape!



Harry had stared; dumbstruck as, seemingly out of nowhere, number twelve Grimmauld Place inflated itself between numbers eleven and thirteen. As one the crowd of Death Eaters swarmed over the house, reducing it to a pile of smoldering rubble and leaving the sparkling image of the Dark Mark hanging like a demented firework over their handiwork. The Death Eaters hadn’t been gone more than ten minutes before the first of the Muggle policemen arrived on the scene.



"Hell of a business!" grumbled one blue-coated officer who was standing on the lawn of the house on whose roof Harry was perched. "As if we didn’t have enough to do on a Monday!"



Monday?



It was only then that Harry had bothered to fish the paper Snape had given him out of his knapsack. He’d left the Riddle House on a Thursday morning, so that meant he hadn’t slept just eighteen hours, but more like . . .four days? It wasn’t possible! One glance at the paper had caused his stomach to take an icy plunge, for the date read Sunday, September 1st. He’d been asleep not for just four days, but for nearly four weeks!



"Impossible!" Harry had gasped, but then his eye had fallen on the headline and his stomach had dropped clear into the soles of his feet, lodging there with a leaden weight that threatened to drag him to a messy fall off the steep sloped roof.



"HEAD OF MAGICAL LAW ENFORCEMENT’S HOME DESTROYED IN LATEST DEATH EATER ATTACK!"



 


It had happened when? Harry scanned the story, desperate for reassurance that everything was all right, that no one had been hurt that Mr. And Mrs. Weasley and Ron and . . . "Ginny!" Harry moaned, loud enough that the policeman below squinted up at the roof as if expecting to see some sort of exotic bird perched on the ridgepole.





At 2 a.m. on Sunday, the first of September, Aurors were called to the scene of the latest Death Eater debacle. Destroyed was none other than the home of Arthur Weasley, presently the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Due to a timely tip-off, the entire Weasley household escaped unscathed, although the family Ghoul is currently being treated for burns at the Magical Creature Ward of St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.



It is believed that the target of this attack was none other than Mr. Harry Potter, a close personal friend of the Weasley’s youngest son, Ronald and who is currently believed to be in a romantic relationship with the youngest child and only daughter, Miss Ginevra Weasley.





Who wrote this? thought Harry, suppressing a snort as he flipped back to the front page. "Ah, Rita! I should have known!" he muttered, wondering what Hermione would think of Rita’s latest scoop. Granted, she seemed to have toned down her style a bit (probably afraid that Hermione would rat her out if she got too carried away). Trust Rita to announce his interest in Ginny to the world. So much for keeping it a secret! Even if they both denied their being involved, no one would believe it, especially not if the prophet said it was true!





The Weasley family claims that while Mr. Potter was indeed a guest in their home for a portion of the summer that he was not in fact in residence at the time of the attacks. It is assumed that this attack was directly related to last week’s attempt to corner Mr. Potter at his primary residence in Surrey (see article on pg. 4).



It must be added that all attempts to locate the boy who has been dubbed ‘the chosen one’ have so far been unsuccessful (see article on pg.2). Anyone with information as to the whereabouts of Mr. Harry Potter is encouraged to contact the Auror Office of the Ministry of Magic immediately.





Harry had wasted no time in Apparating directly to the Burrow. It was worse, far worse than he could have imagined. Far worse than the picture that had been plastered across the front of the Prophet. It was, in fact, a scene of total devastation.



"Harry! Oh, Harry!" Before Harry could get a bead on who was calling him, Mrs. Weasley had thrown herself into his arms. She was trembling from head to toe, covered in soot and clutching the blue velvet hat the twins had given her the previous Christmas, but which was now charred around the edges, several of its embroidered stars hanging by mere threads.



"Thank god!" said another voice, Mr. Weasley’s from just behind him. Harry detached himself gently from Mrs. Weasley’s grip to find himself being drawn into a bone-shaking hug from Ron’s father. "We were beginning to get worried," he said gruffly, taking a step back and ruffling Harry’s hair. "I mean, when no one could find you . . ."



 


"Is Ginny all right?" asked Harry anxiously. "And what about Ron and Hermione? Was anyone hurt? The Prophet said everyone got out okay, but-"



"They’re fine, Harry, just fine," said Mr. Weasley gruffly.



"A few bumps and scratches from having to leave so fast," said Mrs. Weasley, sniffing loudly, "but nothing that couldn’t be repaired."



"They were worried about you, of course. When we heard about Grimmauld Place, well, everyone thought the worst!"



"You heard about that?" asked Harry, frowning slightly. "How did you know? I mean, it just happened!"



"We’ve known about it for at least two weeks now," said Mr. Weasley with a grim smile. "Scared us to no end, what with thinking you might be inside and us not being able to even find the place."



Harry stared, something wasn’t adding up.



"Mr. Weasley, I just came from Grimmauld Place."



"Yes, yes, we thought you might have still been in there."



"When it was destroyed you mean?"



"Destroyed? No, when it disappeared."



"I-" Harry paused, trying to make sense of everything that he’d just heard. Obviously Mr. Weasley was talking about something else entirely. "Mr. Weasley, what are you talking about?"



"Well, two weeks ago, when Remus finally told us that you’d been thinking about going to the Riddle House, we decided to send someone over to Grimmauld Place, just in case you turned up. You know, to keep an eye on you," said Mr. Weasley with an apologetic smile. "Moody volunteered of course, and Bill went along, and Tonks, but the house was gone."



"Gone?"



"Yes, gone. We tried everything, but it was as if the house had just – disappeared – been erased, if you will."



With me inside, thought Harry, grimacing. Yes, no wonder they’d been concerned.



"Well, I was inside," said Harry slowly. He wasn’t entirely certain as to how much of this he should divulge, right here and now, but he decided on a modicum of the truth. "I drank a bottle of wine that I’d brought with me from the Riddle’s wine cellar – I swear, it hadn’t been opened!" he said, seeing Mr. Weasley open his mouth at this. "But I fell asleep. When I fell asleep it was around six in the evening. When I woke up, my watch said that it was noon. At first I thought I’d just had a good rest, you know, like about eighteen hours worth? But then I found this," he pulled the paper out of his knapsack, "and I realized that I’d been asleep for nearly four weeks!"



"You’re joking!" said Mr. Weasley, even as Mrs. Weasley gasped, grabbing Harry by the arm, as if trying to convince herself that he really was alive and well. "You slept? The entire time?"



"Well, yeah, and other than being a little stiff, I really wasn’t any the worse for wear," said Harry, shrugging slightly. "But when I saw this," he said, tapping the newspaper with his forefinger, "I decided I should come here as fast as I could. Well, no sooner had I left Grimmauld Place then a bunch of Death Eaters swept down and leveled the place."



"Leveled . . .!" said Mr. Weasley, staring at Harry as if he’d gone mad. "But . . .Harry. . . are you sure? When did this happen?"



"Just now," said Harry, looking at his watch, "not more than a quarter of an hour ago."



"Oh Harry!" cried Mrs. Weasley, hugging him again so tightly that his glasses were knocked askew. "Oh my dear boy, you’re all right? You’re okay?"



"Is the whole place destroyed?" asked Mr. Weasley, looking dumbstruck.



"Completely," said Harry heavily. "But you lot got out okay," he said, looking dismally around at the debris strewn lawn. "Where’s Ron and Ginny?" asked Harry worriedly, "and Hermione was here took right? You said they’re okay?"



Harry knew he was sounding a bit frantic, but when he’d heard about the Burrow, the first thing he’d thought of was Ron, Hermione and Ginny, lying still, side-by-side on a debris strew lawn; the light gone out of their faces, leaving them vacant-eyed, just as Cedric had been when his body had landed next to Harry in the Graveyard of Little Hangleton.



The pain that had pierced him when he’d thought of never seeing them again had been so intense he’d thought for a moment that he’d die of it. The thought that he might never hear Hermione’s no-nonsense voice explaining what he’d done wrong on an essay, that he might never again see Ron’s quirky grin as he recounted something of which he was ashamed; that he might never again know the feeling of Ginny’s slim body in his arms scared him so badly that it had taken him a full ten minutes to pull himself together. Even then, when he’d arrived at the Burrow he’d been shaking so badly he was surprised that he’d been able to concentrate enough to Apparate at all.



"We sent them directly to Hogwarts," said another voice, a woman’s. Harry turned just in time to be clapped on the back by Tonks, whose Bubble-gum pink hair was smudged and smeared with soot and ash. "Scrimgeour thought it would be best. They’d just be targets here."



"Then Hogwarts did reopen?" asked Harry incredulously. Somehow, he’d been half expecting Scrimgeour to follow through on his inferred threat of no Auror presence at the school. "I thought Scrimgeour was threatening to refuse an Auror presence?"



"Well, he didn’t have much of a choice," said Mr. Weasley, chuckling darkly.



"Yeah, half of the Aurors threatened to up and quit if he didn’t send a delegation to Hogwarts," said Tonks, smiling grimly. "And he can’t afford to loose any of us at the moment," she added smugly.



"Nymbphadora," said Mr. Weasley briskly. "Harry’s just come from Grimmauld Place."



"Yeah, we thought you might have gotten caught in there," said Tonks, nodding sagely. "When we couldn’t get in, we were wondering if perhaps whoever was inside couldn’t get out."



"You won’t have to wonder any more Tonks," said Harry heavily. "It’s destroyed."



Tonks stared blankly at Harry. "Harry, are you certain?"



"Well, seeing as that I barely made it out before the roof came down," said Harry, exaggerating slightly, "yeah, I am."



"But I didn’t – we would have heard!" stammered Tonks, looking stunned.



"It just happened," said Harry patiently. "Where’s Lupin, anyway?" asked Harry, looking around at the pile of Rubble that had once been a happy and cheerful home."



"Hasn’t got back yet," said Tonks, recovering herself with a quick shake of the hand and running her hand once more through her short, spiky hair. "He took Ron, Ginny and Hermione up to the school. He’s supposed to be staying until they’re all settled in and have arranged for their stuff to be replaced. The Order’s paying for everything," she told Harry, seeing the look of concern on his face. They both knew how poor the Weasley’s were, or had been until lately. "It’s coming out of Sirius’ money, the bit you signed over."



"So they’re at Hogwarts? Ron, Hermione and - and Ginny?" Harry asked Tonks anxiously.


"And its safe do you think?"



"Hogwarts has been given every protection available," said another, deeper voice. From out of the shadows stepped a tall, dark wizard with a shiny bald head and one gold earring dangling from his ear. "Students are, of course restricted to the castle and its immediate grounds. Mr. Potter, if I may, that would be the safest place for you at the moment."



"I-" Harry opened his mouth to argue, but at a warning glance from Mr. Weasley, he closed it again. Why bother arguing? He had been planning on going to Hogwarts anyway, not as a student, but to look for the Harp. He might as well go and talk to McGonagall now. "You heard about Grimmauld Place?" he asked Kingsley curiously.



"That’s why I’m here," said Kingsley, looking around from Mr. and Mrs. Weasley to Tonks. "The Ministry was called in immediately of course, because of the Dark Mark. When we heard that the mark had been found over the place . . ." he spread his hands wide and gave a slight shrug. "I’m afraid that we were prepared for the worst. But once again, Mr. Potter, you seem to have given the Death Eaters the slip."



"Yeah," said Harry, anxious to change the subject. "Er, Mrs. Weasley? My trunk was in Ron’s room, under the bed."



"Yes, well, I’m afraid that both of you will be in the same boat," said Mrs. Weasley distractedly, fishing a small, charred wooden box out from a pile of what looked like kindling but which, on closer inspection, appeared to have been a wardrobe.



"Arthur!" she breathed, dropping the charred hat and prying open the box with her blackened fingernails. "I think its okay!" She wrenched the box open and withdrew a golden necklace consisting of eight small gold discs, ranged four to each side of an ninth, larger disc. This disc was thicker than the others and appeared at a closer glance to be a locket.



"Isn’t it beautiful?" sighed Mrs. Weasley, holding the necklace up to the fading light.



Without thinking, Harry snatched the locket out of Mrs. Weasley’s hand, feeling his fingers tingle as he touched the largest of the discs, on the cover of which was engraved an ornate number eight. Harry squinted at the locket, if his eyes weren’t deceiving him, the original engraving had once been an "S", that part was etched more deeply than the rest, which had turned the "S" into an ornate vine pattern that twisted across the surface of the locket.



"Where did you get this!" asked Harry, his hands trembling as he tugged at the clasp holding the locket closed only to find it sealed shut.



Fred and George gave it to me," said Mrs. Weasley, sounding rather put out and reaching out a hand to take the locket back from Harry.



"Harry, what is it?" asked Tonks, grabbing him by the elbow as Harry swayed on the spot, his hand tightly clutching the necklace. He reached into his jeans pocket, his fingers closing around the fake Horcrux with the note to Voldemort tucked inside it, the object Dumbledore had given his life to find, and held the lockets in either hand, staring at them dumbly, unable to do so much as move a muscle for the shock.



I found it!



It had to be it! It had to be! Fred and George, of course! They’d bought all sorts of rubbish from Dung. Dung had nicked all sorts of stuff from Grimmauld Place, Harry had caught him hawking some of it in Diagon Alley. It made perfect sense. He’d nicked the locket, Fred and George had bought it from him, converting it into a necklace for the mother.



Harry might have stood there indefinitely, gaping at the treasure in his hand like a fish out of water if Lupin hadn’t chosen that precise moment to Apparate with a discreet pop of displaced air. The older man took one look at Harry, at the two lockets clutched in his hands, and steered him to an overturned cauldron, forcing him to sit.



"Is that the locket?" asked Lupin, his voice so low that the others, who were standing only a few feet away couldn’t hear him.



"It has to be!" said Harry. His voice sounded oddly breathless, as if he’d just run uphill for a very long distance. "There’s no mistaking it, Remus! This is the same locket I saw in the Pensieve. Whoever had it added the rest of the pattern, see?" said Harry, pointing. "It used to be an "S", I bet my life on it! It looks exactly like that one we found in the cabinets in Grimmauld Place, the locket that wouldn’t open, remember?"



"We’re going to have to tell them," said Lupin, glancing up at the Weasleys, who were now talking animatedly to Kingsley.



"No! We can’t tell anyone!" Harry hissed, shaking his head vehemently. Dumbledore had been very explicit; only Ron and Hermione were to know about the Horcruxes although; he was going to have to tell Ginny, he realized that it was inevitable that Ginny be told. Dumbledore would have understood. Ginny could be trusted. It was bad enough that Lupin knew, but he couldn’t take chances, not with anyone else, not with so much at stake.



"We can’t just take it from her, Harry," Lupin insisted, fingering the locket’s thick chain, "it was a gift! She has no idea what it used to be."



"Do you think it’s been destroyed then?" asked Harry hopefully, his fingers once again attempting to open the clasp, which remained firmly closed.



"We should show it to Mad-Eye," said Lupin thoughtfully. "He’d know how to tell if it was destroyed, and if it hasn’t been, he’ll know what to do."



"No," said Harry firmly, shaking his head. "Not Mad-Eye."



"He’s the best at this sort of thing, Harry, he’d know-"



"I can’t ask Mad-Eye!" Harry said, loudly enough that the rest of the group had stopped talking and were now looking at him curiously. Dumbledore hadn’t said anything to Moody about the locket. There was only one other person Harry could think of that might be able to tell him something about how to tell if a Horcrux had been destroyed, and that was the man who’s memory had begun this entire nightmare.



Now he had another reason to go to Hogwarts; he needed to speak to Professor Slughorn.



 


* * *



 


Mrs. Weasley had been shocked to find out that the centerpiece of her necklace had been nicked from Grimmauld Place, most likely by Mungdungus and all but insisted on Harry’s taking the necklace back.



"Only the locket," said Harry, his voice rather shaky. "In fact," quickly he removed the note from the fake Horcrux, then touched his wand tip to the fake Horcrux. A moment later the fake Horcrux and Slytherin’s locket had changed places. "There, good as new," he murmured apologetically.



"Actually," Lupin took the locket from Harry, murmured a couple words, and an ornate pattern of vines appeared on the surface of the fake Horcrux.



Mrs. Weasley held the necklace up to the light, turning it back and forth. "I really can’t tell the difference. Are you sure you don’t want to keep the whole thing? They’re both yours after all."



"No, really, just the locket," said Harry with an attempt at a smile. It had been a wrench giving the fake Horcrux to Mrs. Weasley, it had been the last thing Dumbledore had touched after all, the very thing that Dumbledore had risked his life to find.



No. He had risked his life for the Horcrux, Harry told himself, tightening his fist around the solid weight of Slytherin’s locket. This was the Horcrux. The other didn’t matter. It was just a thing. Let Mrs. Weasley have it. After everything she’d done for him . . .


Harry sighed, looking around him, seeing with fresh eyes; Mrs. Weasley’s eyes, the devastation that being associated with him had cost. This had been her home. Her home and her family were her life. Let her have her bauble. She deserved something pretty; especially now.



* * *



 


"I’m afraid Mr. Potter, what with the new security measures put in place by the ministry, that unless you are a student or a member of the staff you can not be allowed to remain at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."



Harry stared at the thin-lipped woman before him, unwilling to believe what he had just heard. He hadn’t expected it to be difficult. He had planned to simply announce his intentions to Professor McGonagall, talk to Professor Slughorn, find the Harp, and be off, well, maybe a quick detour to see Ron and Hermione and, if he could catch Ginny on her own, so much the better. He had never even considered the possibility that she, as a member of the Order of the Phoenix, wouldn’t see fit to allow this.



"Professor-"



"And, since you have made it perfectly clear that you are not interested in returning to the school as a student," continued McGonagall as if he had not spoken, "and seeing as that you are not a fully qualified wizard, and thus unable to be offered a post as an instructor at Hogwarts-"



"Professor, I just need a few days to search for-"



"Mr. Potter," said Professor McGonagall sharply. "You must understand my position. As Headmistress of this school, the safety and well-being of the students constitutes my highest priority. Any sort of disruption – and I believe that your presence in this school would qualify as a disruption – would effectively hamper my abilities to properly govern this student body."



Harry, who had opened his mouth to argue, promptly closed it again. She had that look in her eye, that hard, determined look that said nothing, absolutely nothing, was going to change her mind. Harry had seen it often enough to know that it was pointless to argue.



Here she was talking about security measures and the well being of the students. Didn’t she understand how important this was? He’d explained as much as he could to her. He’d told her that he was searching for a piece to the puzzle that would allow him to defeat Voldemort. He had expected that she would be more than willing to help.



Well, he’d just have to find another way to get into Hogwarts. There were ways. He’d gotten out of Hogwarts often enough, there had to be ways to get in, the tunnel through Honeydukes for one and-



"Be advised, Mr. Potter. I have enlisted the help of Remus Lupin in securing every secret entrance in and out of this castle. He assures me that no stone – or tunnel for that matter – has been left out of the equation."



It was Harry’s turn to grace McGonagall with a shrewd look.



"Have you been studying Legilimency, Professor?"



"I don’t need to read you mind to know what you’re thinking, Potter." The corner of her lip twitched slightly in what Harry was certain was a barely suppressed smile. "Six years of looking out for you and Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley teaches one to expect certain – alternatives."



Harry sat very still; waiting. He had the distinct feeling that Professor McGonagall had something else to say.



"Now, Potter, if you were to request my permission to return to Hogwarts as a student . . .well, as Headmistress, I can assure you that certain arrangements could be made; arrangements that would allow you to not only continue your studies in preparation for the N.E.W.T. exams in June, but would grant you ample opportunity to pursue the several goals that you have outlined in our meeting tonight."



Harry stared. Come back to Hogwarts as a student? What he wouldn’t give to be able to be just another student at Hogwarts for the next ten months! He’d like nothing better. And, if he could continue his search . . .he knew the Harp had to be here, and possibly the mirror as well. He had to find them, and being a student would put him in a perfect position to talk to Slughorn on a regular basis, perhaps enlist his help in determining the status of the one Horcrux he had managed to find (quite by accident mind you, but there you were).



To be able to not only continue his search for the other Horcruxes but to be here, at Hogwarts with Ron, Hermione . . .and Ginny . . . . But there were things that needed to be considered, the safety of the students for one. If Voldemort was looking for him, if he was determined to kill Harry (a fact that the attacks on Privet Drive, the Burrow and Grimmauld Place certainly seemed to support) , his coming back to Hogwarts officially, as a student, would put everyone in the castle at risk.



McGonagall stood up finally, walked around the large, highly polished desk and came to stand by Harry’s chair. "Those are my terms as Headmistress, but Harry, as a member of the Order, I have other priorities. I want this finished. Do you understand? I want this finished – I want him destroyed! I believe what the prophecy says; about you being the only one who has the power to destroy him; and you will destroy him, I have no doubt about that Harry. Nothing could give me more satisfaction than to see an end to this entire business," she said heavily, placing a cool, dry hand on Harry’s shoulder. "Nothing except seeing you manage to do it – and seeing you live to tell about it."



Harry couldn’t bring himself to look at her. The odd prickling sensation behind his eyelids was threatening to overwhelm him again, as it had so very often in these last few weeks.



"As I’m certain you already know, the Ministry of Magic has graciously agreed to an increased Auror presence at Hogwarts," said McGonagall, her voice more businesslike now. "They will not only be patrolling the halls and grounds, but have been a tremendous help in reinforcing the protections that Dumbledore had placed on this school."



Harry looked up at her curiously, thinking of Grimmauld Place and how the Fideleous charm had worn off, "But I thought, that when a wizard died, his powers died too; that any spells he was working were no longer effective?"



"For regular spells, that is certainly the case," said McGonagall gravely. "As you experienced yourself, when the Full Body Bind was lifted at Dumbledore’s death, but there are other spells; older magic . . ." her voice trailed away. "I won’t hide it from you, Harry, Professor Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard. He was gifted in all branches of magic. He was, however, particularly adept at the very ancient – and much neglected arts of Blood and Binding Magic."



"Blood and Binding Magic?" said Harry, frowning slightly. "But I thought that Blood Magic-"



"Is very often used in the Dark Arts, yes," said McGonagall, nodding. "As you witnessed during the ritual which brought He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named back to his body. But like all magic, it has positive uses too, such as the spell used on you as an infant, the one that used the sacrifice of your mother’s life and the binding of her to you through your Aunt’s blood. It was very ancient magic that Dumbledore invoked to place that protection on you, Harry, and spells of that sort are not dependent on the caster still being alive to be effective."



"So you’re saying that he placed some sort of spells on the school – using this old magic – and that the spells he put down are still effective?"



"More effective actually," said McGonagall, giving Harry a small, sad smile. "He had bound himself to this school you see; he bound himself using blood magic and the effectiveness of the spells relied on his body being buried here on the grounds, It was partly this fact – as explained in his personal papers – which was one of the reasons that the school board agreed to allow Dumbledore to be buried here."



McGonagall gestured out of a window, and Harry realized with a wrench, that from his vantage point he could just make out the marble crypt that marked Dumbledore’s final resting place and suddenly, the true power of the words he had once heard Dumbledore used; words he had used himself, just weeks ago when he’d been talking to Scrimgeour.



He’ll never be gone from this school as long as those who remain are loyal to him



And now he really never would be gone. It was like Hagrid had said; you couldn’t imagine Hogwarts without Dumbledore. Hogwarts had been such a big part of Dumbledore’s life that it had seemed to define him and now – now Dumbledore would be a part of Hogwarts – forever.



It was as if the great weight Harry had been carrying inside of him since Dumbledore’s funeral had finally lifted off his heart. He knew, without knowing how he knew it, that even though the phoenix had gone; even though Fawkes had left Hogwarts for good, even though Dumbledore had left the world of the living, he hadn’t left Hogwarts, not really. He never would. He had woven himself into the very fabric of the school’s existence.


He was a part of it now; a part of the powerful magic that lay at the very heart of the school.



Harry found himself smiling. Yes. He would stay at Hogwarts. There were things he needed to do here; people he needed to talk to; things he needed to find. He hadn’t planned on returning as a student.



He had thought to do this alone; that he needed to do this alone. But he’d had time to think this summer, and, somewhere along the line, he had realized that even if he was the only one that had the power to conquer the Dark Lord, his power came, as Dumbledore had said himself, from the power to love, how could he feel that love – truly feel the power of the emotion that had saved him at the Ministry of Magic – if he cut himself off from the very source of that emotion; if he cut himself off from his friends?



This is about the safety of humanity Harry. Tall order, eh? So don’t be surprised if you find us fighting beside you at the end after all. If it comes down to it you won’t be able to keep us away. You may think this is your battle, Harry, but in truth this battle belongs to every decent human being alive, magic or Muggle. You just have a bigger part to play than most.



Harry looked up at McGonagall then, the words from Ginny’s letter still ringing in his ears. "Sure Professor, I’d really appreciate being able to come back to Hogwarts as a student," he paused, looking away before glancing back at her cornerwise, "that is, if you’ll accept me."



"That, said McGonagall, gracing him with a rare and radiant smile, "would be my pleasure."



 



Back to index


Chapter 8: CONFLAGRATION









Because of a great love, one is courageous.
Lao Tzu



 


CHAPTER EIGHT: CONFLAGRATION



 


"You will of course be continuing the N.E.W.T. courses that you began last year," said McGonagall, holding open the door so Harry could precede her out of her office and down the spiral staircase. "Am I right to assume that your personal effects were lost in the attack on the Burrow?"



"Yeah, but the Order doesn’t need to worry about me," said Harry quickly, "I can pay to replace my own stuff."



"Are you sure? Your Firebolt alone-"



"My Firebolt was with me," said Harry, grinning slightly as he pulled the small, wand-sized broomstick out of the pouch he still wore around hi neck. He tapped it with his wand and it sprang back to its normal size.



"Well, that’s a relief," said Professor McGonagall, smiling slightly. "It seems that the odds of Gryffindor winning the cup for the fifth year running are looking better every moment."



"You mean, I can still play?"



"Well, I am assuming that you still want to play?"



"Of course!" said Harry instantly.



"Mr. Ronald Weasley has called tryouts for tomorrow night I believe," said McGonagall briskly. "And it is a fairly safe assumption that he will want you back as Seeker."



"You’ve made Ron captain," said Harry slowly. It wasn’t a question. Of course she would have made Ron captain. He was the next logical choice. Harry had told them he wasn’t coming back. Even so . . .he knew Ron would make an excellent captain, but that didn’t stop his stomach from producing a dull, sinking sensation as the reality of it hit home.



"Yes, Mr. Potter. When it was thought that you would not be returning, we offered the position to Mr. Weasley."



"Yeah," said Harry, tying hard not to show how much this had stung. "Yeah, I guess . . .I mean, that’s great! Ron will make an excellent captain." It was true too. Ron had an excellent grasp of strategy and could quote you every statistic for every major game for the last two hundred years.



"Look at it this way, Potter," said McGonagall, sounding rather apologetic. "That’s one less thing that will be standing in the way of you finding what it is you came looking for."



Harry, however, had stopped listening; what he had been looking since the moment he had entered Hogwarts’ gates had just walked around the corridor’s corner, her arms full of books, her long red hair shining like a beacon in the late afternoon sunlight streaming in through the high, arched windows that ran along the passageway.



Ginny saw him, and froze; a series of expressions crossing her face in such rapid expression that Harry had barely registered them before the surprised delight in her eyes had hardened slightly into a frosty challenge; he could almost hear her voice taunting him; ignore me if you dare, Potter.



Real or imagined, her response tickled him and Harry didn’t think twice about laughing delightedly as he opened his arms to the girl standing still as a statue before him. The books spilled from Ginny’s arms, forgotten as she threw herself into Harry’s embrace.



Every concern; loosing his position as captain, searching for the last of the three Horcruxes, every worry; about how he’d get through the next week of classes without his books, about what was yet to come in his fight against the Dark Lord, everything that had happened in the last six weeks; it all disappeared in Ginny’s kiss. Nothing mattered anymore; not here; not now; not even the sound of McGonagall’s hearty sniff made the slightest impact on a kiss that had transported him to heaven.



 


* * *



 


"Well, now that you’re back we can get to work!" Hermione said happily as she dished large helpings of roast chicken and boiled potatoes onto everyone’s plates.



When Harry had walked into the Great Hall (Ginny’s hand held firmly in his) the silence that had fallen across the hundreds of students ranged along the four long house tables had been so sudden and so complete, that for the briefest of moments Harry had wondered if he’d inadvertently cast a silencing charm. The roar of sound that followed rivaled that of a crowd celebrating a Quidditch victory -instant uproar.



The welcome he’d received from the Gryffindor table was hardly less subdued. All through the meal there had been shouts and yells directed at him, a seemingly endless parade of girls telling them how glad they were he was back, and Romilda Vane had actually kissed him! (Albeit on the cheek, but only because Harry had turned his head when he’d seen her coming at him). He’d fended off the Creevey’s enthusiastic questions, with promises to fill them in later, as he had to Neville, Dean and Seamus (who, Harry was glad to see, had braved his mother’s protests to come back for his last year). Lavender Brown, who was looking rather lonely without her constant companion, Parvati Patil and who was casting despairing glances at Ron and Hermione who were wedged in tightly on the same bench with Neville, Harry and Ginny, had merely given him a small smile and a nod.



"To work on what?" Ron asked thickly, through a mouthful of chicken.



Ron had greeted Harry with a hug so tight that Harry was certain his Ribs had cracked under the strain.



"On the clues of course," said Hermione brightly. She cast a glance at the chattering crowd around them before pulling out her wand and casting the Muffliato spell on those closest to them.



"Hermione," said Harry in a voice of mock astonishment.



Poor Neville was shaking his head as if trying to dislodge a fly, and Lavender, who had been listening closely to everything Ron and Hermione said to each other, as she became distracted by Dean, who was drawing caricatures of everyone around him on a paper napkin.



"I thought you didn’t approve of the Prince’s spells?"



"Well, that one does have its advantages," said Hermione brightly.



Hermione’s squeal of "Harry!" as he’d approached the Gryffindor table, had been the first coherent thing Harry had heard in the din of noise his entrance had produced.



Something about her had appeared different, even from across the room when he’d first caught sight of her and Ron sitting together partway down the Gryffindor table. But it wasn’t until she pulled back from an enthusiastic hug that he realized what had changed.



For once it seemed she had made an attempt to tame her hair, for it had been bundled into a heavy braid that hung past her shoulders, but from which little curls and tendrils had escaped and which she was continually tucking behind her ears. Every now and then, Ron would reach up a hand and pull a curl out from behind her ear, but far from seeming annoyed, Hermione would simply smile sideways at Ron and tuck the wayward curl behind her ear again.



"Now look, Harry, I think we have a good chance of finding out who he is!" whispered Hermione, pouring pumpkin juice into Harry’s goblet and spilling half of it in her excitement.



"Find out who who is, Hermione?" said Ginny as she siphoned off the puddle pumpkin juice with a wave of her wand.



"R.A. B. of course!" said Hermione in a stage whisper.



Harry opened his mouth to tell her that he already knew who R.A.B. was, but she was off again, talking so fast that he didn’t have the opportunity to get a word in edgewise.



"I know we tried to track him down last year, but really, now that we’re back at school, finding R.A. B. should be a snap. The library’s bound to have something, if we split up and keep focused, we should have him nailed within a few days-"



"Hermione," said Ron, casting Harry an apologetic look, "I think Harry’s trying to tell you some-"



"And then of course I’ve uncovered an entire section on Genealogy, I’m sure we can pinpoint him in no time – if we can just figure out what family he’s in."



"Hermione-" began Harry, laying down his knife and fork, but she went on, waving him into silence as she dismissed his protest.



"Honestly, Harry, this is really important. And you know what McGonagall’s always saying, ninety eight percent of all important discoveries is research-"



"Hermione," said Ginny firmly, "what Harry was trying to say is that he already knows who R.A.B. is."



"What?" said Ron and Hermione together.



"How did you find out?" Harry said in a low tone, looking at Ginny cornerwise as Ron and Hermione began shooting a barrage of questions at him.



Ginny, however, merely gave him an arch look and began taking dainty bites from her roast chicken.



Even with the Muffliato, Harry didn’t think it prudent to go into much detail in the Great Hall. There were just too many ears, he couldn’t take the chance. So as soon as Ron, Hermione and Ginny had finished eating, they made their way out to the grounds. They settled beneath their favorite beech tree as Harry proceeded to fill them in on everything that had happened since he’d last seen them at Bill and Fleur’s wedding.



"You mean you found it?" breathed Hermione, her eyes huge. "You actually found a – a," She glanced sideways at Ginny as she said it, obviously uncertain as to whether or not she should say anything else while Ginny was listening.



The previous year Harry had made a point of not telling Ginny too much, not because he thought he couldn’t trust her, but because he didn’t want her put in danger from having too much information. Too late for that now, he thought, holding out a hand so that Ginny could twine her fingers with his.



"A Horcrux, yeah. Look, Hermione, I’m not keeping secrets from Ginny any more," said Harry firmly. "What she doesn’t know already she’ll know soon enough. She’s a part of this too, has been since she got handed Riddle’s diary."



Hermione, Harry noticed, looked relieved, but Ginny . . .as the words left his mouth he felt her fingers tighten around his and, looking at her, he was brought up short by the expression on her face; Ginny was positively beaming. Did being included mean that much to her?



"But you found one?" said Ron, oblivious to Hermione’s concern or Ginny’s proud glow. "You found a Horcrux?"



"Yeah, I did," said Harry, nodding.



"Which one?"



"The locket," said Harry. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the heavy gold necklace and handing it out to Ron.



"But-" Ron weighed the locket in his hands. "How did you know?"



"How did I know?"



"That this was it, that it wasn’t another fake."



"It’s the same as the locket I saw in the Pensieve," said Harry, shrugging "But that’s not all, I can feel it too."



"Feel it?" said Ron, who was now trying to pry open the locket with his fingernails.



"Yeah, it tingles when I hold it, can’t you feel it?"



Ron scrunched up his face, holding the locket in his cupped palms. "No," he said finally, frowning slightly. "I mean, it’s pretty heavy for something this size, and it’s cool to the touch, but-" he gave Harry an apologetic look and shrugged.



"Let me see," said Hermione impatiently, taking the Horcrux from Harry and holding it out in her own hands. She held it for a full minute, shifting it from one hand to the other before saying, "I don’t feel any tingling Harry. Did you use a spell or something? I mean, to find out that it was a Horcrux?"



"No," said Harry, as Hermione passed the locket to Ginny. "As soon as I saw it – I just knew."



Ginny, who had taken the locket almost reluctantly, was holding it now in one palm, her eyes closed.



"You say mum had it?" asked Ron, a frown still creasing his forehead. "My mum has been wearing a – a piece of You-Know-Who’s soul around her neck?"



"For pity’s sake, Ron, can’t you say the name?" said Hermione exasperatedly. "And we don’t know that the Horcrux is still active, Ron. Sirius’s brother could have figured a way to destroy it."



"Why is it still here then?" asked Ron reasonably. "I mean, Harry said that Dumbledore had Riddle’s ring, that it was a Horcrux, that was how Dumbledore hurt his hand, getting that ring and then it disappeared."



"I didn’t say it disappeared," Harry corrected him. "I just said that it was no longer on the table where he’d been keeping it when I left the his office that time."



"Ron?" came Hermione’s voice, but Ron ignored her, turning to Harry again.



"But it had been damaged, right? Didn’t you say that when you saw the ring after Dumbledore got it that it looked different?"



"Harry?" Hermione sounded tense, but Harry – concentrating on Ron’s question, didn’t register the worried tone of her voice.



"Yeah, yeah I did! In the Pensieve it was whole, but when I saw it, first on Dumbledore’s hand and then on that table in his office, it was cracked right down the middle.



"So it was damaged when Dumbledore destroyed the bit of soul that was inside of it," said Ron slowly.



"Seems that way, yeah."



"Harry!" Hermione was shaking him by the arm now, her voice high and tight with fear. "Harry, Harry look! What’s wrong with her?"



Harry spun on the spot to see Ginny, still standing exactly where she had been, the Horcrux held tight in her hand, her eyes still closed, except now she was shaking from head to foot as if caught in a high wind.



"Ginny? Ginny!" He was beside her in a heartbeat, holding her by the shoulders. "Ginny! What’s wrong? Open your eyes, look at me!"



"Harry!" Ron’s voice was scared, he’d been trying to pry open the hand that Ginny had clenched around the Horcrux, but it he hadn’t been able to move so much as a finger. "Harry, I can’t get her to let go!" Ron’s face was deathly pale.



"Move!" Hermione had her wand out and was pointing it now at Ginny.



"Hermione, no!" yelled Harry, reaching out an arm to stop Hermione."



"I’m not going to hurt her," said Hermione, her voice shaking but determined. "Finito!" she cried. Nothing happened. She tried again. "Expelliarmus!".



Ginny’s eyes snapped open. But it wasn’t Ginny looking out. What was looking out had blood-red eyes, it’s pupils vertically slit and the voice, when it spoke, was high pitched and cold, cold enough to chill the blood in their veins. All three of them took an involuntary step backwards.



"You can not stop me!" hissed the voice, its eyes locking onto Harry’s. "I will kill them all, Harry Potter. I will kill everyone you care about. I won’t stop until you are alone and then – ah yes, then we will see just how strong you are."



"Let her go!" the words were out of Harry’s mouth before he could stop himself. Damn, damn and damn! This is exactly what he’d been afraid of, he should never have come back. He knew something like this would happen, he just knew it!



The voice spoke again, this time sounding amused. "I think not, Harry Potter. She proved useful once before . . .an easy victim . . .very easy to control. Don’t you think she will make a much better vessel than a simple locket?"



"No!" the voice that tore out of Ginny’s throat was her own, a scream of absolute horror.



Harry started forward, but was restrained by Ron and Hermione who were each holding an arm. Ginny began to writhe and squirm as if trying to get out of her own skin.



"Hush, little Ginevra. We are old acquaintances, you and I," soothed the voice in a sing-song tone.



"You. Don’t. Own. Me." Ginny’s own voice came out in a harsh staccato, her eyes were rolling in her head now, her whole body spasming.



The laugh that issued from her lips was high, mirthless, and cold. "Ah, but I do, little one! I gave you what you wanted; I gave you a friend."



"No!"



"Oh yes – yes I did! And the payment, I never received my payment. Your body I took, it was so easy. You put up no fight. But I never received my final payment. I never received your heart. So close, just minutes later it would have been finished, but it seems we were – interrupted." The inhuman eyes locked once more on Harry’s. "It is time now I think, to finish this."



"Yes." It was Ginny’s voice that spoke. She had suddenly gone very still. She blinked, and her eyes were her own again, Ginny’s eyes, warm and brown. Her gaze met Harry’s and she smiled, and it was as if the sun were rising instead of setting. "You’re right Tom," she said in a conversational tone. Still looking directly into Harry’s eyes, as she triggered the locket’s closing mechanism. "It is definitely time to finish this."



With a shriek of triumph, the locket, which had refused all of Harry’s attempts to open it, sprang apart on Ginny’s palm. From the inside erupted a dazzling green serpent, made entirely out of light, which instantly coiled itself around Ginny, encompassing her from head to toe in a cocoon of neon-green scales. The serpent’s form pulsed once – twice – then twitched and began falling away, scale by scale, like leaves from a tree in an autumn wind.



The serpent was shrieking now, attempting to coil itself tighter, but an instant later, Ginny had brushed away the clinging scales like an annoying flock of midges.



"Miiiine!" the high, cold voice was not coming from Ginny now, but from the scales which were now rising, coiling up and up into the branches of the beech tree. They were reforming themselves now, even as they watched the scales were reforming themselves into a snake; a snake which was rearing it’s ugly, red-eyed head back, preparing to strike.



"We shall see." Ginny’s voice was calm, completely unconcerned as she stood there, arms spread wide in welcome as the snake dropped from the tree, like a lightning bolt, straight towards Ginny’s chest.



Harry wrenched himself free of Ron and Hermione’s grip, but it was too late, the snake had pierced her; filled her with it’s golden green glow and sizzling anger and, for a second, Ginny was gone, obscured from view by a flaring flash of golden green light.



"Nooooooo!" The one word seemed to reverberate around the lake and an instant later, the light was gone, shooting up out of Ginny’s head, up into the branches of the Beech, which erupted into a torch of golden-green flames.



"Ginny!" Harry caught her as the light left her and she collapsed. He pulled her backwards, Ron and Hermione beside him, until they were well away from the blazing tree.



"Is she, Harry, is she okay?" asked Ron, his face pale, eyes glittering strangely in the light of the burning tree.



"Ginny, can you hear me?" Harry sat awkwardly on the grass, pulling Ginny’s limp form onto his lap. "Ginny, wake up. Please be all right – please!"



The tears were pouring down his face now, unchecked. First his parents, then Cedric, then Sirius and Dumbledore, and now . . .his heart clenched. He couldn’t take any more of this, he couldn’t bear it!



"Harry?" Her voice was barely more than a whisper and shouldn’t have been audible at all, what with the fierce crackling of the unnatural flames above them.



"Thank god!" he buried his face in her hair, his tears dampening her face and neck. "Ginny! Oh god, I thought I’d lost you!"



"No such luck," said Ginny dryly, reaching up to wipe a tear from Harry’s eye.



"But what stopped him – he said he was going to collect-"



"His final payment," said Ginny, smiling slightly as she looked up into Harry’s face. "We’d made a deal you see, although I didn’t realize at the time what it meant," the smile turned into a grimace. "I thought it was a joke – I didn’t know . . ." she closed her eyes and for a moment Harry thought she had passed out again.



"Ginny?"



"I didn’t know what he meant until just now," she said softly, her eyes still closed. "When he said that he would be my friend. He said he’d take care of everything . . .the teasing about my robes, about not having any friends of my own . . .he told me he understood, that he’d felt exactly the same way when he’d been at Hogwarts. He said – he said if I’d be his friend, that he would take care of everything, and that he’d send me the bill later."



"She’s okay?" Ron’s voice was rough with concern as he fell to his knees on Ginny’s other side, looking shocked and relieved. "Ginny, he’s gone? What stopped him?"



"He said he’d come for your heart." Hermione’s voice was tight with concern as she stood over Harry’s shoulder, observing Ginny with a worried look.



"There’s just one problem with that," said Ginny, grinning slightly as she pulled herself into a sitting position on Harry’s lap. She wrapped her arms tightly around Harry’s chest and buried her face in the fabric of his shirt. He voice when she spoke was muffled, but still audible. "I can’t pay him with something that is no longer mine to give."



 


 


 


 


 



Back to index


Chapter 9: REPRIEVE







"Do not be misled by the fact that you are at liberty and relatively free; that for the moment you are not under lock and key: you have simply been granted a reprieve."




~Ryszard Kapuscinski


 




CHAPTER NINE: REPREIVE


 


Harry had insisted that only Tonks and Kingsley of all the Aurors clamoring for explanations, be present when he, Hermione, Ron and Ginny explained to McGonagall what had happened under the beech tree.


"I don’t care what you tell them," said Harry, holding out the warped and twisted locket that Ginny had still had clutched in her hands when they’d brought her back up to the castle. "But you can’t tell them about it’s being a Horcrux. We can’t risk news of this getting back to Voldemort."


Tonks looked at it carefully, seeming almost amused at the way it appeared to have melted, comparing it to a painting she had once seen in a Muggle art museum. "It was a painting by a surrealist painter, only in his picture it was a pocket watch and it was draped over a tree."


"I’ve see that," said Hermione at once, "Salvadore Dali, he did some fascinating work."


"Yes, well, if I show them this, Harry, they’re bound to ask questions-" interrupted Kingsley, his low, soothing voice now tinged with exasperation.


"I’m showing this to the two of you," said Harry flatly, taking the twisted locket from Tonks "but only because you need to know what really happened here. They can’t know. Don’t ask me to explain. You don’t need to know any more about this than I’ve told you."


"Tell them it was an attack," said McGonagall briskly. "Tell them Voldemort made an attempt to possess Ginny directly, after what happened at the Ministry last year, they shouldn’t have a hard time believing you."


"You’ll loose students, Minerva," said Tonks, running her fingers through her short, spiky hair in frustration. "If parents think that a student was attacked directly on school grounds-"


"That’s what happened to the tree," said McGonagall quickly, standing up from her desk and striding across to the window from which the unnatural flames could still be seen. "The school’s defenses detected the attack and thwarted it. Yes, that is exactly what happened."


"It might work . . ." said Kingsley thoughtfully. "Yes, Nymphadora, come, we’ll tell them that the tree was one of the posted guardians."


Tonks and Kingsley left, leaving Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny alone with Professor McGonagall.


"I am assuming that this locket is no longer an active Horcrux," said McGonagall, gesturing to the twisted locket in Harry’s hand.


"That’s probably a safe bet," said Harry with a twisted half smile.


"And it appears that the question of whether You-Know-Who can use Miss Weasley as a subject again is answered as well."


"Damned straight," said Ginny flatly. "Sorry, Professor," she added, casting an apologetic look at Professor McGonagall, "But he won’t find me as easy to use as he did the last time."


"That much," said McGonagall dryly, "is obvious."


* * *


The four of them watched from the windows of the Gryffindor common room in stunned amazement as the tree flared and writhed, its branches flailing against a fire that continued to burn but somehow did not seem to consume.


Aurors ringed the tree now; all of them standing with their wands out, pointing at the blazing tree. Not one of them seemed to have a clue as to what to do next. They had tried pouring jets of water on the flames, but the water had acted as gasoline would have, causing the tree to explode in jets of fire that reached out for the school; fingers of golden-green death grasping blindly in the cool evening breeze coming in off the lake.


The common room was packed; everyone was vying for a glimpse of the ever-burning tree; speculations flying like the sparks flying from the tree’s branches. Only Ron’s broad shoulders and Hermione’s sharp tongue kept the four of them from being chivvied away from their window.


"I guess that will teach us to handle a Horcrux so — casually," said Hermione finally, sounding abashed.


Harry, who was standing in front of the window, his arms wrapped around Ginny from behind felt his stomach cramp guiltily at Hermione’s words. He could have lost her. He could have lost Ginny. God, he’d been so stupid! Reflexively, his grip on Ginny tightened. In response, she leaned her head back against him, the hair on the top of her head just tickling his chin, making him smile.


"We’re really lucky that no one was hurt," added Hermione anxiously. "But I mean, there’s no way we could have known it was going to react like that."


"I knew," said Harry quietly.


The silence went on for at least ten seconds before Ron broke it.


"Come off of it, Harry, there’s no way you could have known how it was going to react!"


"Didn’t I?" Harry’s voice sounded suddenly very cold and hard to his own ears. "I knew that Dumbledore had injured his hand going after the ring. I saw what he had to go through to get that fake locket. I knew."


"Harry," said Hermione tentatively after another few seconds of silence. "You can’t go blaming yourself for the way the Horcrux reacted."


"No," said Harry flatly, resting his chin on the top of Ginny’s head. "Voldemort is to blame for how it reacted. You’re right Hermione, I can’t blame myself for that. But I can and will blame myself for not taking it more seriously. I should have taken precautions. I should have put it in a safe place as soon as I got here instead of carrying it around."


Harry felt a shudder wrack his body. He’d carried that damned thing next to his heart for days! Mrs. Weasley — the closest thing to a mother he’d ever known — had been wearing it around her neck for months! It had sat for years on a shelf in the parlor cupboard at Grimmauld Place. So why had it chosen tonight — of all nights — to open? Why had it responded to Ginny’s touch when none of the rest of them had had any luck with it? And how on earth had Ginny been able to drive that presence out of her?


And he will have a power the Dark Lord knows not.


That is what the prophecy had said. Dumbledore had said that Harry’s key to defeating Voldemort lay in his ability to love. It had been his love for Ron, Hermione and Sirius that had driven Voldemort out of his body there on the floor of the Atrium. And what was it Ginny had said?


"I can’t pay him with something that is no longer mine to give."


It looked as if love had saved her as well; her love for Harry.


She loves me.


The chill that went through his body at this thought was so delicious that for a moment Harry felt absolutely terrified.


She loved him. She loved him like that!


It had been one thing to read the words she had written in her letter. Ginny had always been good with words, both written and spoken. A letter was safe. There was always the outside chance that she hadn’t meant it the way it sounded, or not meant it in the way he’d interpreted it. But to actually see the depth of his own feelings reflected in someone else’s actions; it took his breath away.


What could he possibly say to something like that? Where was a bloke supposed to start? Somehow ‘I love you too, Gin,’ just didn’t seen to cover it.


* * *


It wasn’t until nearly dawn that the fire was finally spent. The last tendrils of smoke curled up into the mists rising up off the lake, leaving in their wake a blackened, twisted shell where a proud and towering beech tree had once stood.


Harry watched as the now exhausted looking Aurors sheathed their wands and began to disperse. It was over. Voldemort was gone. The Horcrux had been destroyed. Harry took a deep, shuddering breath and shifted slightly in the armchair that someone (he thought it had probably been Hermione) had pushed him into round about midnight when she and Ron had finally left for their own beds. Harry found that he was suddenly feeling incredibly tired.


In his arms Ginny stirred slightly. She had fallen asleep cradled against his chest and he hadn’t had the heart to wake her up so that she could sleep in her own bed. As for himself, he hadn’t slept. He hadn’t dared to sleep; not until he was sure that it was over.


He looked down at the figure in his arms and somehow wasn’t surprised to see that her eyes were open.


"Hey," he said, leaning down and placing a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Sleeping beauty wakes I see."


"How long have I been asleep?" she wondered, shifting in his arms so that she was sitting up straighter and casting a surreptitious glance out the window at the now dead tree.


"About four hours," said Harry, glancing at his watch. "You fell asleep around two."


"You held me the whole time?"


Harry nodded.


"You didn’t have to," said Ginny, smiling at him.


"I wanted to."


"Did you sleep at all?"


Harry shook his head. "No." He hadn’t slept; how could he have, with those living flames out there burning so greedily, so hungrily . . .flames that were aware. . . .watching him . . . .waiting . . . .


"Well, at least it’s over," said Ginny quietly, sliding off of Harry’s lap and turning to the window.


"It will never be over." Harry wasn’t aware that he had spoken out loud until he suddenly found Ginny’s furious face just inches from his. He pulled back instinctively (he’d seen that look before, and it was usually followed closely by one of Ginny’s trademark Bat Bogey hexes) but was brought up short by the back of the chair in which he was still sitting.


"This bit is over." Her voice was hard and the first rays of the early morning sun glinted dangerously in her large, dark eyes and turned her hair into living fire. "As for the rest . . ." she kissed him; a soft, lingering kiss that left him strangely breathless and ended all too soon. "We’ll just have to deal with it when it comes."


 


* * *


 


The new books and equipment Harry had ordered by owl post arrived with Sunday’s mail. The four large boxes and a smaller, much grubbier one were waiting in his dormitory when he got back from the Gryffindor team’s first Quidditch practice just before lunch.


The smaller box did not contain any of the items Harry had ordered to replace those that he’d lost in the attack on the Burrow. It was from Mrs. Weasley. Inside of it were a few of his things that she had been able to salvage from the rubble, including; his sneak-o-scope, which was looking rather tarnished around the edges now, but still seemed to have enough life left in it to stand up smartly on its point; his omnioculars, which didn’t appear to have been damaged in the least; a small model of a dragon, which seemed a bit singed in the wings, but stalked about happily on Harry’s bedside table when he set it down and finally, wrapped in a square of leather, several shards of what appeared to be a broken mirror.


Mirror. Harry’s heart suddenly doubled its rhythm. Gryffindor’s mirror?


No, no. That would be to easy. This was Sirius’s mirror, the one Sirius had given Harry the last time Harry had seen him . . . .the one he’d given him so that they could keep in touch . . . .the one Harry had never used. What on earth had prompted Mrs. Weasley to send him the pieces of a broken mirror? He thought she would have chucked it; after all, there was no way she could possibly have known what the mirror had been. Unless it had been Mr. Weasley who had realized that it was more than just a broken mirror . . . .


 


Harry gingerly picked up the pieces and placed them so that they once more made up a whole mirror. "Reparo," he murmured, pointing his wand at the shards. They seemed to shiver, but nothing happened. Harry looked down at his wand, then back to the mirror’s pieces.


"It had been charmed somehow," Harry muttered, scowling at the broken glass. "If they could see each other in it — talk to each other through it."


"What are you on about?" Ron’s voice from behind him nearly made him jump out of his skin. Still damp from his bath, Ron was toweling his hair dry with one hand, the other was rummaging in his new trunk for clothes.


"Just trying to fix something," said Harry, turning back to the mirror.


"Try Reparo?"


"Yeah. Not working."


"Not working?"


"Not on this," said Harry, his scowl darkening. "It was charmed or something. It was Sirius’s he — he gave it to me before . . . ." Harry had to pause to swallow the egg-sized lump that had suddenly formed in the back of his throat. "The Christmas before he died."


"What did it do?" asked Ron curiously, picking up one of the slivers.


"He — he said that he and my dad had used it, well, from what he told me I guess there were two of them. Sirius had one and my dad had one. Anyway, they used them to talk to each other when they were in detentions. He wanted me to keep it so we — so we could keep in touch. He didn’t want Snape giving me a hard time without him knowing about it."


"A two way mirror?" said Ron, his eyes lighting up. "Wicked! But . . ." his voice trailed away.


Harry looked up to find Ron scowling, his gaze on the shards, and he knew before Ron spoke what it was he was going to ask.


"Look, mate, if you had this mirror all along, why didn’t you use it instead of Umbridge’s fire to make sure he was all right?" blurted Ron, his ears went red and he stopped abruptly.


"It would have saved us all a lot of grief," said Harry grimly. "Just one problem with that, I didn’t know what it was. He gave it to me all wrapped up. He didn’t tell me what it was exactly, only that I could use it to get in touch with him if Snape was giving me too hard of a time and I didn’t unwrap it because I didn’t want him and Snape getting into it again. I didn’t want Sirius getting in trouble because of me. I — I found it when I was packing up my trunk after everything had happened."


Ron rubbed absently at the scars that were still clearly visible up and down his arms. The shiny tendril-like scars encircled his chest as well and, while they were much better than they had been, Madam Pomfrey didn’t think that the scars would ever disappear entirely.


"You mean, if you’d used this," he nudged one of the glass slivers with a finger, "instead of Umbridge’s fire . . .?"


"I would have known Sirius was really okay and that would have been the end of it," said Harry flatly.


"And everything that happened at the Ministry . . ."


"Would never have happened, yeah," said Harry heavily.


Their eyes met and Harry watched Ron’s face go through a wide range of emotions, settling, finally, on something that looked suspiciously like pity.


"You never knew," said Ron finally, he looked as if he’d like to be sick. "You never opened it until it was too late so you never knew." He shook his head slowly. "God, Harry, how can you stand it?"


Harry didn’t answer, but prodded the pieces closer together with his wand. What was he supposed to say? How did you tell your best friend about the nights when you woke up twisted in your sheets, soaked in sweat because you’d had to relive everything that happened that night at the Ministry and had to realize once again that all of it had been your own fault because you’d been too thick to put two and two together? Over and over again the faces of the people that had died because he’d been too slow or too stupid went through his head. Over and over he would think of what he might have happened if he’d done things differently . . . .


If only I’d opened the damn package sooner!


If only I’d been the one to drink the poison instead of Dumbledore.


If only I hadn’t insisted that Cedric take the Triwizard cup with me.


Harry shook his head as if trying to dislodge a fly. "Would it have mattered?" he wondered, and it wasn’t until he saw Ron’s face that he realized he’d spoken out loud.


"Would what have mattered?"


Harry sank onto the edge of his bed, turning his wand over and over in his hands. "If I’d done things differently," he said, shrugging. "I mean, what if I hadn’t helped Cedric? He would have been finished when Krum used the Cruciatus curse on him. He never would have gone with me to the graveyard. He’d be alive right now."


"Harry-"


"And if I’d let Lupin and Sirius kill Peter back in the shrieking shack, he would never have run off and found Voldemort," Harry ignored Ron’s shudder, "and chances are Voldemort would still be looking for a way to get himself a body."


"But those — you did what you did at the time Harry," said Ron, rubbing furiously at his forehead as if he were battling a headache. "You can’t change it now."


"But if I’d just done something different then . . . ."


"What matters is that you do the right thing at the time," said Ron slowly. You saved my dad. You saved Ginny. Do the right thing now, and the rest will sort itself out."


Harry raised his head to give Ron a sharp look. "You channeling Dumbledore now?"


"As if!" said Ron with a snort. "Why?"


"That just — sounds like the kind of thing he would have said."


"Good advice then," said Ron, his face clearing abruptly. "Come on Harry, let’s go get some lunch, my stomach is killing me!"


 


* * *


Professor McGonagall looked up when Harry knocked on the half-open door of the Headmistresses office.


"You wanted to see me, Professor?" asked Harry stiffly. The stiffness didn’t have anything to do with Professor McGonagall. It had to do with the room. He couldn’t bring himself to think of it as McGonagall’s room. It was Dumbledore’s room; Dumbledore’s office; it always had been; it always would be.


He wasn’t entirely certain as to why she’d asked to see him, but the little second-year girl that had brought Harry the scroll in Professor McGonagall’s left-slanting script at lunch had seemed rather over-awed (though whether this had been because she was acting as a messenger for the Headmistress or because she was delivering the letter to Harry, Harry wasn’t sure).


"No need to look so worried Potter, come in and close the door, have a seat."


Harry stepped through the door, closing it quietly behind him and took the seat Professor McGonagall had indicated with her wand.


The early afternoon sunlight was streaming through the many mullioned windows of the tower room, painting the thick, blood red carpet beneath McGonagall’s desk with diamond patterns of light and shadow. Behind the desk, the sun glinted off the case in which Gryffindor’s sword resided (a sword that Harry remembered thrusting double-handed into the open craw of a snarling Basilisk). The egg-sized rubies blazed scarlet in the sun; as scarlet as the blood that had gushed from the beast’s head, soaking the twelve-year-old Harry from head to foot. Above it, on a shelf of its own, sat the Hogwarts Sorting Hat looking, if possible, even more frayed and patched at this close of proximity than it did from a distance.


Other than the new carpet and the picture of the tall wizard in ornately embroidered midnight-blue robes that hung behind the Headmistresses desk, the only changes in the office were the things that weren’t there; Fawkes and his golden perch for one, the spindly tables and their burdens of silvery machinery for another.


"He’s not moving," said Harry finally, nodding at the picture behind the desk.


"Yes. He’s been like that since we hung him. I thought that perhaps the charm hadn’t been performed properly, but Filius assures me that everything is functioning properly it just . . ." she waved her hand at the painting and sighed, "chooses not to move."


"Could it be because things happened so . . . .quickly?" Harry wondered out loud.


"No. The portraits are commissioned when the witch or wizard takes the post of Headmaster or Headmistress. Then the memories and such are updated regularly-"


"Updated?" said Harry quickly. "You mean, like a computer file?"


"Computer file?" McGonagall scowled at him for a moment. "Yes," she said slowly, "I suppose it is rather like a computer file. But this is much more accurate of course, the Immemorium spell is performed-"


"The spell that allows for the detaching of memories?" Harry wondered, "Like when they’re being used in a Pensieve?"


"Exactly, yes," said McGonagall, nodding. "Except a complete record is made — all of the subjects thoughts to date, and the latest — well, I suppose you could call it a file — takes the place of the last update."


"So he’s complete then," said Harry, eyeing the sleeping Dumbledore curiously. "Well, right up until his last . . .er . . .upload?"


"Which according to his journals was the night before you went off together — wherever it was you went," said McGonagall with a small shrug. Her mouth tightened into a thinner line as she watched Harry, who was, in turn, watching the unmoving portrait. "But it’s not him, Harry. It is simply a recording."


"They seem alive enough," said Harry, gesturing to the other portraits of previous Headmasters and Headmistresses who graced the walls of the office.


"That, would be because we develop personalities of our own," came Phineas Nigellus’s oily voice from his heavy-framed portrait. The shrewd-eyed wizard was leaning against his canvas’s frame, picking at his nails with a small, but lethal-looking dagger.


McGonagall put a hand to her eyes. "Thank you, Phineas."


"It’s not like a photograph though," said Phineas Nigellus thoughtfully. "A photograph is a picture of you — as you are, or were rather — at that particular moment in time. It retains your personality, your traits, but it is not you. It can not grow and learn. We on the other hand-"


"Thank you, Phineas," said McGonagall firmly.


Phineas Nigellus made a sort of half-shrugging, half-dismissive gesture and went back to his nails.


"Don’t mind him," said the red-nosed wizard who had resided behind the desk when Dumbledore had been Headmaster. "He’s a bit put out because he is restricted to this one portrait now."


"Yes," said Professor McGonagall heavily. "His other was in Grimmauld Place. The destruction of Phineas’s other portrait was quite a . . .. Loss." she glanced at Harry and he could have sworn that there was a ghost of a smile playing at the corners of her lips.


"I can imagine," said Harry dryly.


"Quite. Now, Potter, as to why I asked you here," she paused, observing him over the tops of her square spectacles. "There are several concerns. Three actually. The first being a confession. You see, I’m afraid that I wasn’t entirely honest with you at our first interview."


Harry remained silent, waiting for her to continue.


"I said then that you were not old enough and that you did not have the proper qualifications to be a teacher at Hogwarts."


She paused again, removed her spectacles and wiped them with a tartan handkerchief. She replaced her glasses and sat forward in her chair, placing both hands on the desk in front of her, one on top of the other.


"And while what I said was, in fact inarguable - being as that it’s school policy - I am afraid that what I am going to ask you could be taken as being diametrically opposed to that statement."


Harry blinked. Where the hell was Hermione when he needed her?


"Professor," said Harry slowly, his brain still trying to sort out the implications of what she’d just said. "Are you asking me to — teach?"


"Not in so many words, no," said McGonagall, looking tense.


She could say that again, thought Harry frowning slightly. "Professor, if you want me to teach — I’m assuming you need a Defense teacher?"


McGonagall nodded once.


"Then why didn’t you just ask-"


"I can’t ask a student to teach, Potter," said McGonagall, her teeth clenched. "The Board of Governors would never allow it."


"Then why-"


"Because, Potter, we are currently without a resident Defense teacher. No one is willing to take the risk. And so, I have formulated a plan. The schedule which I submitted to the Board lists each of the instructors as taking a turn teaching the Defense classes, rotating through if you will, each of them has been instructed to use items from their own specialties that could be used for defense against a Dark attack."


"Sounds good to me," said Harry, frowning slightly. "Dead usefully actually. I mean, there’s lots of things — charms, transfiguration work, that could be used-"


"But when it comes down to actual defense," said McGonagall, cutting across him and continuing to speak as if he hadn’t said anything. "We have no one who is — adept, shall we say — at putting it all together."


"And that has what to do with me, exactly?"


"Well, several of your instructors — most of them actually — all mentioned the fact that not one of the students who was in your army-"


"Dumbledore’s Army," Harry corrected her.


McGonagall gave him a nod. "Yes, of course, Dumbledore’s Army, or the D.A. as it was called; not one of them failed to receive an O.W.L. in Defense Against the Dark Arts that year."


"Really?" said Harry, his interest piqued. "Everyone?"


"Yes Potter, everyone," said McGonagall, and Harry was amazed to see that she was actually smiling at him.


Harry didn’t even bother to fight the sudden rush of fierce pride he felt at these words. It had worked! They’d remembered! "Cool!" he said, then, with a sideways look at McGonagall, said quickly, "I mean, that’s great, Professor."


"It has been suggested that we use the first method, that of the rotating instructors, to teach those in fourth year and below, but to turn over the O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. level classes to someone more — qualified to teach at those levels."


"But you said I wasn’t qualified," said Harry without thinking.


"And as far as the Board of Governors is concerned you’re not," she said briskly. "And officially, the classes would still be listed as being under a rotating schedule. But Harry," she removed her glasses and rubbed wearily at her eyes. "You know the kind of danger that’s waiting out there. You know what can happen to people who encounter things for which they are not prepared." She sighed heavily. "I need you, Harry. The students need you. Hogwarts needs you."


Harry sat very still for a full minute, watching the fire devour its log. "And I’ll still be able to search out what I came for?" he said finally.


"Of course. In fact, as a — well, I guess you could call it a Professor’s Assistant, you would have the full privileges of a Prefect . . ." she raised an eyebrow at him, and Harry couldn’t help the grin that spread across his face. Prefects were answerable to no one but the Professors of course, and the Head Boy and Girl; in this case Ron and Hermione.


"Sweet," he murmured, then arranged his features immediately into an expression of polite gratitude. "I mean, thank you, Professor, I would be glad to help."


"Yes," said McGonagall, observing him with a sort of detached amusement. "I thought you might. Well, that’s settled then. Now, I’ve taken the liberty of assigning your classes to Friday afternoons," she said, tapping her wand on a schedule that was tacked to the wall behind her desk. "All houses together of course. Fifth years just after lunch, sixth years at two and seventh years at four." She rummaged briefly in one of her desk drawers and finally produced three rolls of parchment. "Your class rolls. Make certain you take attendance; record all tardies and absences, the roll should be turned in to me after your final class." She paused, looking at Harry over the tops of her glasses. "You can assign someone to keep take the roll for you if you like," she said, smiling slightly at the look of shock on Harry’s face as he scanned the lists of students.


"Er . . .Professor?" said Harry, looking up from a brief count of the fifth years who totaled fifty-three just by themselves. "Where is there going to be enough room for classes of this size?"


"The Great Hall of course," said McGonagall matter-of-factly. "I will take care of the arrangements after lunch each Friday. Are there any books you will need? Materials?"


"Yes," said Harry slowly. "I’ll make a list, shall I?"


"An excellent idea," said McGonagall crisply. "And perhaps a sketch of how you’d like the room set up."


"Er . . .right," said Harry. It felt odd to be talking to Professor McGonagall like this, as if they were — equals. "Ah, Professor, you said there was something else?"


"What?"


"The third thing you wanted to see me about?"


"Oh yes, of course," Professor McGonagall stood abruptly and walked around the end of the desk. She opened a closet door and rummaged around for a minute before emerging with a large cardboard box in her hands. She placed the carton on her desk and stood for what seemed like a very long time, looking down at it, one hand resting on the edge of the box.


"Albus Dumbledore’s last Will and Testament was read just after you disappeared this summer," said Professor McGonagall slowly. "The contents of this box contain the items that he wished you to have. There was also the matter of a goat . . ." Harry looked up to find McGonagall shaking her head, a rather bemused look on her face. "But I’m not entirely certain why the beast was even mentioned in connection to you. Still, I thought it best to leave the creature in Hagrid’s care."


"Of course," said Harry automatically. "Er . . .Professor, did you say a goat?"


"Yes. It belonged to his brother you see."


"Then why didn’t he leave it to Aberforth?"


"Because Aberforth has disappeared," said McGonagall with a confused shrug. Nothing to do with the Death Eaters as far as I know, but the last anyone saw him was at the funeral." She paused to scowl at the box. "That will be all, Potter."


* * *


"Blimey, she’s made you a teacher?" said Ron, stopping dead so that Hermione, who’d been watching Hedwig’s progress as she swooped along beside them, walked right into his back with a small "oof" of displaced air.


Harry had proposed a walk around the lake as the perfect cover to be able to tell the other three of what had happened in McGonagall’s office. It was a perfect afternoon. The sun was warm, but there was a cool breeze blowing in off the lake. They’d been wandering along the shore (in the opposite direction of the blackened beech tree) for half an hour, accompanied by Crookshanks (who was poking his head into every available hole and bush) and Hedwig (who had not let Harry out of her sight ever since he had returned) while Harry had told them about McGonagall’s request.


"Oh don’t come across as all surprised, Ron," said Ginny dismisively, holding out an arm to Hedwig. The owl came to her at once, giving a soft hoot as she landed gently on Ginny's outstretched arm. "You said yourself that Harry was the best Defense teacher you’ve ever had."


"Well yeah, but I didn’t mean it."


Harry raised an eyebrow.


"I mean, well, it as a joke," stammered Ron uncomfortably.


"You think Harry teaching defense would be a joke?" said Ginny, throwing a calculatedly evil look over her shoulder at her older brother who’s ears were quickly turning a vivid red.


"Come on, Gin, you’re twisting my words, I didn’t mean-"


"Lay off him, you two," said Hermione unexpectedly.


"What did I say?" said Harry innocently.


"You’re egging her on," said Hermione, gesturing to Ginny who was walking beside her and on whose shoulder Hedwig was now happily perched.


"She likes you," said Harry over his shoulder to Ginny, reaching back a hand to stroke Hedwig’s satiny feathers.


"Of course I do," said Hermione.


Harry stopped walking and it was Ginny’s turn to walk into him.


"Of course you do what?" asked Harry, tentatively, uncertain as to whether or not he had heard her properly, or if it had meant what he thought. It sounded as if Hermione had thought he’d been talking to Ron.


"Like him," said Hermione matter-of-factly. "And it’s not fair for the two of you to be goading him into losing his temper."


"Hermione?" said Ron questioningly. "Er . . .what are you talking about?"


"I told Harry that he’s egging Ginny on, encouraging her to tease you, and I don’t think it’s fair, not when they know how little it takes to set you off."


Normally this statement would have been enough to set Ron off all by itself, but for some reason he seemed to be, for once, speechless. Hermione, who seemed to be the only one who didn’t find this exchange in the least bit odd, went on. "And then Harry told you that I like you," she said, turning to Ron, who blinked, "and I said that of course I do. I mean, we’ve been friends for over six years and-"


"That’s all I am to you then," said Ron abruptly in a strangled sort of voice. "You’re friend?"


"I-" Hermione paused, looking from one astonished face to the next. "Well of course you’re my friend, Ron. You and Harry are the best friends I have."


"Fine then," said Ron, and all the warmth seemed to suddenly have gone out of his tone. He turned abruptly and had taken all of two steps back towards the castle when Hermione caught hold of his arm.


"Ron, please, don’t go. What’s the matter? What did I say?"


"You know what you said."


"But what — why are angry? Ron, I don’t understand!" When he didn’t respond, she reached a hand up to his cheek, cupping it in the palm of her hand. "Ron, say something! You’re scaring me!"


Ron stood still quite still and slowly, ever so slowly, turned his head so that he was looking down at her and for a moment Harry didn’t recognize him. The look on his face wasn’t one he’d ever seen before. It was colder; sharper; older than any look Harry had ever seen him give before. It changed everything about Ron, turning him in an instant from the fun-loving, easy-going Ron Harry had known for the last six years into a shrewd, calculating, dangerous man.


Damn


The look on Ron’s face chilled Harry to the bone. Harry opened his mouth to intervene. He had to say something — anything, but Ginny’s grip on his arm tightened suddenly; warningly and he shut it again quickly, looking from Ron to Hermione, seeing them as if for the first time.


Hermione was standing, one hand on Ron’s arm, her face turned up to his, her eyes imploring. When Ron’s expression changed Harry could hear her sharp intake of breath; see the way her eyes widened slightly. Hermione released his arm, the hand on his face withdrew of its own accord and she would have taken a step backwards except that Ron, moving with a speed Harry had only seen on the Quidditch field, was now holding both of Hermione’s wrists in his much larger hands, effectively pinning her in place.


"What do you want me to say?" he asked, and his tone was ice. "Do you want me to say that we’ll be best friends forever, no matter what?"


"I-" Hermione’s voice was suddenly very small and uncertain.


"That I’ll always be here for you no matter how many McClaggen’s you date, or however many Krum’s you snog in the rose bushes?"


"I never-" The color rushed back into Hermione’s face and she made a wild attempt to twist out of Ron’s grip, but he was having none of it.


"I’m sick and tired of trying to figure out what it is you want from me, Hermione," snarled Ron, his lip curling. "What is it you want, just a friend you can talk to? Someone whose essays you can correct? Someone you can flirt with? Tell me, Hermione," he said, tightening his grip, "What. Do.You. Want?"


Hermione had stopped struggling. She had gone quite still and Harry could see the tears glistening in her eyes. But instead of pulling back or twisting out of his grip, Hermione took a tentative half-step towards him.


"I — I want," she paused and took a deep, shuddering breath then raised her face so that she was looking Ron directly in the eye. "I want what I’ve always wanted," she said finally, her voice was tinged with tears and when she spoke again, two of them spilled out of her eyes and made their way down the curves of her cheeks. "I want you, Ron."


Ron’s iciness melted entirely in the heartbeat between her words and his kiss. And Harry might have stood there indefinitely; staring stupidly as his two best friends snogged each other senseless if it hadn’t been for Ginny’s persistent tugging on his arm.



* * *


They’d been walking in silence for a good five minutes before Harry finally spoke.


"Well," he managed finally, giving Ginny a small, sideways smile, "that settles that."


Ginny stopped dead (dislodging Hedwig, who swooped away to land on the branch of a nearby tree) and turned to stare at him. "It doesn’t bother you then?" she asked finally. "Seeing them together I mean?"


Harry shrugged and looked away. He’d thought it would, and he’d been dreading it even though he’d known deep down that they would end up together. It was inevitable. He’d worried about what might happen to him — to their friendship - if Ron and Hermione became an item. He’d worried about what might happen if they got together and then had a falling out. But after what he’d witnessed this afternoon . . .somehow he didn’t think that this was anything like Hermione and McClaggen, or Ron and Lavender. This went way deeper. As for their friendship . . .


"Come off it, Harry," said Ginny, she was standing in front of him now, looking up at him with an expression of concern creasing her forehead. "You just watched your two best friends snogging each other’s faces off. You can’t tell me that doesn’t bother you."


"Actually, I’m surprised that it’s taken Ron this long to get around to it," said Harry finally, looking away from Ginny, who was watching him through narrowed eyes. "I mean, I’ve known they fancied each other since fourth year."


"But they’re you’re two best friends," Ginny insisted, "don’t tell me that you’re not worried about how this will change the friendship you three share."


Harry stared off across the lake for a full minute before answering. "I thought it would bother me," he said finally, then turned to look down at the slim figure beside him. "And yes, I was worried about what it would do to our friendship but after seeing them . . ." he gestured back towards the place where they’d left Ron and Hermione. "After hearing them . . ." he paused, suddenly uncertain as to how to explain to her what he’d felt. "This is right for them, Gin, can you understand that?"


Ginny nodded.


"Even if this new relationship between them does, out of necessity, exclude me from some of it’s . . .er . . .finer aspects, (Ginny snorted) it’s not as if I’ve been left alone," he added softly, pulling Ginny toward him until their bodies were just touching. "I have you." He tangled his fingers in her hair, marveling as always at the silken softness of it, of the way it glinted, like living flames in the afternoon sun as it spilled across his hand.


Ginny closed her eyes, her face turned up to him, her body vibrating as he traced the contours of her face with his free hand.


"And there’s nothing better I can think of than being left alone with my other best friend, the one who also happens to be the woman I love."


Ginny’s eyes snapped open, locking onto his with an intensity that nearly bowled him over. "I was wondering when you’d get up the nerve to say it," said Ginny in a light tone that belied the fiery fierceness in her gaze. "I mean, a letter’s nice and all," she added, her voice huskier now, "but there’s nothing like hearing it in person."


"Nothing?" murmured Harry, his eyes mesmerized by the light in her eyes and the dancing flames in the hair beneath his fingers.


"Nothing," breathed Ginny and the word ended on a sigh as Harry’s lips moved over hers.


In that moment there was nothing, nothing but the two of them and for the moment it was just enough.


 



Back to index


Chapter 10: A LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS






Love is friendship set on fire.
Jeremy Taylor


 


 


CHAPTER TEN: A LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS


 


Harry stood with his back against the stone wall of the Great Hall, waiting. The first of the students for his first Defense class should be arriving at any moment and he wasn’t ready. Well, all right, he had his lessons planned out for the entire semester, thanks to Hermione, but he couldn’t quite get over his nerves.


This wasn’t the D.A. These weren’t just people who admired him, who believed him. The people about to walk through that door would be representatives of every opinion – good and bad – that had been expressed regarding Harry and his notoriety.


Ron had been telling him all week to get a grip, that he didn’t have to answer to the students after all, seeing that he was only, officially at least, a teacher’s assistant, but somehow that hadn’t helped, not like Hermione’s rosters, anyway. Thanks to her he might die of nerves, but at least he’d die organized.


Hermione had been quite insistent that he plan his entire semester’s lesson plans out all at once and had even helped him set up a roster that used a tricky little charm to automatically sign in the students as they arrived and tabulate the rosters at the end of the day so he could send them in to McGonagall.


"Wow, Hermione!" Harry had said wonderingly as she’d shown him everything he could do by just touching his wand to the various squares at the bottom of the rosters and the different options he could select by touching one of the tabs at the top. He was amazed that she could come up with something this complex, especially with everything else she had to do. "How on earth did you come up with the idea for just touching the squares?"


"I based it on Windows," Hermione had said matter-of-factly.


"The computer system?"


"The software, yes, I suppose it was a bit of piracy, but then, I don’t need an Intel chip to get this to run now, do I?"


"Windows?" said Ron, looking over Harry’s shoulder at the multi-colored squares and tabs. He looked up, squinting, at the large, mullioned library windows before adding. "They don’t look like any windows I’ve ever seen."


"Windows is a computer program," explained Hermione. It came out in 1995, but my parents didn’t bother upgrading our computer until just this last year, and since you need an Intel 80386 running in protected mode in order for it to run . . ." she shrugged.


"What’s an Intel?" Ron asked Harry, who shrugged.


"Dunno, something the newer computers run on I guess. Dudley just got a brand new computer this last summer, it’s supposed to have all the latest and greatest updates. All sorts of games and stuff too, but I don’t know how it runs exactly."


"But you’ve seen how Windows works?" asked Hermione.


"Well yeah, it’s sort of standard now on most computers," said Harry, shrugging. "Everything tabbed and all. Supposed to make it easier I guess."


"Why do they call it windows," asked Ron, scowling at the parchment, "when it’s written on a piece of parchment."


"They call the computer program Windows," said Harry. "Hermione’s just copied it to use for my rosters."


"Suffice it to say," said Hermione implacably, "that by setting up the charms so that they are nested, Harry can keep all of his rosters, notes and assignments for any one class all on the same sheet of parchment."


"Wicked!" said Ron appreciatively as he poked at Harry’s roster with his wand. Minutes later, however, Hermione had to chastise him for having mixed up the colored blocks and had rolled up the rosters and given them to Harry for safekeeping.


Harry unrolled the fifth year roster now, scanning the list of students that McGonagall had given him. Fifty three? How on earth was he supposed to teach fifty three students all at the same time? Trying to ignore the butterflies that were now swarming in his stomach, Harry tapped the ‘notes’ tab and began scribbling items that he wanted to make sure he covered by the end of the lesson.


"Ahem." Harry looked up ten minutes later to find Professor McGonagall standing beside him, a questioning look on her face. "Ready Potter?"


"Yeah, uh-" His mouth went dry as he looked beyond Professor McGonagall and saw the large group of students that had assembled silently while he’d been preoccupied with his notes. "Er . . . as ready as I’ll ever be I guess."


"Very good," said McGonagall, giving him a small, reassuring smile. "Shall we begin?"


 


* * *


It went much better than Harry could have expected. Professor McGonagall stood up at the beginning of each class and explained that due to the nature of the spellwork involved and the tight schedules of the assorted Professors responsible for the classes, that the staff had decided that O.W.L. level and higher would be taught some practical defensive work by an exceptionally qualified student and then she had introduced Harry.


The response had varied. Some students (Harry had a sneaking suspicion that they were Slytherins) had been downright hostile, booing and hissing like angry snakes. McGonagall had silenced them with a look, informing each group that Harry had full authority to dock or award points as would a regular instructor, and then dropping her surprise bombshell and announcing that there would be an Auror present during each class to ensure that things did not get out of hand.


"She should have you teaching this!" Harry had muttered to Tonks, who had been assigned to the fifth year time slot just after lunch.


"Conflict of interest," Tonks had replied with an apologetic grin, "We’re just to post ourselves in the Hall, keep you lot from getting out of line. But I don’t mind, I’ve heard a lot about your teaching abilities, got me interested. I’ll be curious to see you in action, so to speak."


Just great thought Harry sourly as he set Luna to pairing up the fifth years so that they could practice some of the more basic defensive spells. That was all he needed, to make a fool of himself in front of Ministry of Magic Aurors. Chances were they could do most of these spells with their eyes closed.


As far as Harry was concerned, the student assistants were a godsend. In a stroke of brilliance Professor McGonagall had assigned each of his classes a student assistant – who just happened to also have been a member of the old D.A. - to help Harry with keeping up with the sheer number of students he’d be teaching. Unsurprisingly, both Luna and Neville had volunteered for the job, as had Hermione; Luna working with Harry during the fifth years’ class, Neville with the sixth years and Hermione with the seventh.


Almost like old times, Harry thought as he watched Luna dreamily instructing a rather worried looking fifth year Hufflepuff girl in the best technique for casting a disarming spell. Neville, whose spellwork seemed to have improved beyond all recognition over the previous year, actually held up his own end of an impromptu duel that Harry had demonstrated to the excited sixth years, never getting past Harry’s defenses, but never getting hit by the various spells Harry had shot at him in rapid succession.


And Hermione, Hermione was the best, hitting Zachariah Smith with a brilliant babbling hex during their duel after he’d boasted about the impenetrability of his shield charms. The stupid git had gone around for the rest of the day talking non-stop about anything that came into his head.


By the time the last of the seventh years had filed out of the great hall, Harry had to admit that it hadn’t been as bad as he’d thought. Different than the D.A., yes, but satisfying nonetheless.


"Well, Professor," said Ginny with a smirk, slipping her hand into his as he left the Great Hall – the huge double doors closing behind him so that the room could be set back to rights in time for supper. For once the Entrance Hall was completely deserted. "How did it go?"


"Not bad actually," Harry admitted. "Not like the D.A. of course. Not as much . . ." he paused, at a loss for words.


"Camaraderie?" suggested Ginny.


"Yeah, that’s it! There may not have been as much Camaraderie. I mean, everyone in the D.A. was united against Umbridge and all, but it was still pretty interesting. Most everyone seems keen to learn and I think that at least for now they find it interesting enough – unusual enough – to pay attention."


"Neville did good," commented Ginny, pulling Harry down to sit beside her on the bottom step of the marble staircase. "That was an excellent demonstration you two pulled off for our class! I never knew he could move that fast!"


"Neither did I," said Harry, grinning. "He says it’s his new wand, but I think there’s more to it than that."


"Could be because he’s getting shagged regularly now," said Ginny unexpectedly.


It was a full minute before Harry realized that he was staring at Ginny as if she’d just sprouted an extra arm from the top of her head. She merely looked back at him, eyebrows raised questioningly.


"Something wrong, Harry?"


"Say that again?" said Harry slowly. "The bit about Neville."


"I said that the improvement in his spellwork could very possibly have something to do with the fact that he now has a steady girlfriend."


"That’s not what you said," Harry knew that his tone sounded accusing, but he couldn’t help it. She had to be joking! "You said he was getting shagged regularly!"


"Well, that too I suppose."


"You suppose?"


"Well, according to Luna, it’s been a regular occurrence ever since this summer. She spent some time at his house this summer, or so she told me, and, well, according to her they really hit it off."


"I . . .Neville wouldn’t . . .Luna? . . . you’re winding me up!"


"Of course Neville would! He’s a bloke, isn’t he? Wouldn’t you, if you had the chance?"


"Wouldn’t I what?" gasped Harry, his cheeks now so hot that he was certain he would have been able to fry an egg on them.


"Like to get shagged?"


"I-"


"Careful how you answer that, Potter," Ginny said warningly, and dropped Harry a broad wink as a knot of Ravenclaws made their way past them to stand grumbling outside of the still-closed doors to the Great Hall.


"Well, of course I would," muttered Harry, his face now flaming. "Just not with Luna!"


"What about Luna?" said Neville’s voice from behind them.


Harry didn’t know just how hot a human could get without spontaneously combusting, but he was more than a little certain that he was fast approaching the flashpoint.


"I was just telling Harry about how you and Luna are now an item," said Ginny matter-of-factly. "I don’t think he believed me."


"Oh, yeah," said Neville, his round face went a delicate shade of pink, but other than that there was no drastic change. He sat down on the other side of Harry and shot Ginny a broad grin over the top of Harry’s head. "I find it kind of hard to believe myself."


"So – ah – you two are . . .er . . .going out?" Harry managed. His cheeks were still flaming, but he felt better. If Neville could talk about it so calmly, it couldn’t be anything too drastic.


"Sure. Weird isn’t it?" said Neville, beaming at the pair of them. "Who would have thought?"


Harry was spared having to continue the conversation as the doors to the Great Hall chose that precise moment to open with a sigh, eliciting applause from the Ravenclaws. He filed in behind Neville and Ginny, still shaking his head over Ginny’s news. Neville and Luna? He knew that they had both been devoted to the D.A.; that he’d seen Luna helping Neville into his seat at Dumbledore’s funeral, but he’d thought it had just been a friend thing. Somehow he just couldn’t see the two of them . . .he sighed heavily.


"Problems, Harry?" asked Ron, sliding onto the bench across from Harry, beaming as he helped himself to a huge helping of Sheppard’s pie.


"No – I just – did you know about Neville and Luna?" blurted Harry.


Ron grinned. "Hell yeah, they got caught on the train – an empty compartment. McGonagall has them doing detentions – separate detentions – every Saturday until Christmas."


"They got caught?" Harry glanced down to the other end of the table where Neville, Dean and Seamus had their heads together.


"Yeah. Had to be a first year that found them, yeah? Anyone else would have simply closed the door and let them get on with it. But no, she couldn’t even have told one of the prefects, she had to go running to that witch that pushes the trolley." Ron shook his head over the follies of first years while Harry contemplated the structure of his Shepard’s pie trying to wrap his brain around the idea of Neville and Luna alone together in an empty train compartment . . .it wasn’t working.


"Excellent lesson Harry, don’t you think?" said Hermione as she slid onto the seat next to Ron. "Harry, are you okay? You look ill."


"He just found out about Neville and Luna," said Ginny with a snicker.


"Really?" said Hermione, giving Harry a quizzical look. "But that’s right, you didn’t come on the train! That was a bit of a scandal. They didn’t even remember to lock the door, can you imagine?"


"I’d rather not," said Harry with a grimace that elicited laughs all around.


All through supper Harry found himself casting surreptitious glances at Ginny. She’s mentioned the fact of Neville and Luna’s shagging so casually. Had she ever . . .? Did he really want to ask that question? He remembered when he’d lifted that tapestry to find Ginny and Dean snogging so enthusiastically; how the beast inside him had roared to life, and he wondered how he would have felt if they had been doing more than kissing.


"Something on your mind, Harry?" Ginny wondered as they made their way out of the Great Hall and mounted the marble staircase. "You haven’t said much of anything since you found out about Neville."


"Well, you have to admit, that is rather a disturbing piece of information," said Harry.


"Why?"


Harry turned to look at her. "Well, I mean, it sort of seems like it’s rather personal. You know, a private subject."


"Normally I’d agree with you, but you have to admit, being found on the train . . ." she shrugged, grinning broadly. "I must admit though, Neville took it far better than I would have expected. He didn’t even try to deny it. According to Ron – yeah, it was Ron who went with him and Luna to McGonagall’s office– the joys of being Head Boy, you know! Anyway, according to Ron he took full responsibility for not having locked the door, saying that he should have remembered that there were ‘impressionable children on board’ – those were his exact words! I think the main reason neither of them was suspended, or expelled even, was because of Neville’s coming right out and admitting everything without so much as a blush! From what Ron said, McGonagall was momentarily speechless."


"Now there’s a first," said Harry, chuckling.


"Yeah. She recovered enough to give them detentions, but left it at that. She didn’t even deduct points."


They’d reached the top of the marble staircase and Harry paused, leaning on the railing to look down at the milling throng in the Entrance Hall; so many couples! Had there always been this many students paired up at Hogwarts? Or was he just becoming more aware of it? His eye fell on Ron and Hermione as they exited the Great Hall. Ron’s arm was draped loosely around Hermione’s waist, a smile on his face as he bent his head to hear whatever it was Hermione was saying.


"God they look good together," he murmured. He wasn’t aware that he had spoken out loud until he felt Ginny’s arm slip around his waist.


"There’s some who would say the same about us," she murmured, eyes sparkling in the late afternoon sunlight that was slanting in through the Entrance Hall windows, and there was nothing for it but to kiss her.


"God I love you, Ginny," he murmured into her hair.


"Say it again," said Ginny, her eyes closed, an uplifted expression on her face.


"I love you."


She opened her eyes. "I don’t think I could ever get tired of hearing you say that," said Ginny seriously.


"Shall I say it again?" said Harry brightly. He reached out a hand and ran it through Ginny’s long, shining hair. It was, he thought, almost the exact same shade as the light spilling through the windows. He lifted his hand, admiring the way it glowed so richly vibrant in the light and he suddenly found himself wondering what that gorgeous riot of hair would look like spread out across the white linen of his four-poster’s pillow.


"Are you in love with me or my hair?" said Ginny teasingly, extracting her hair and deftly winding it into a less-tempting braid that she secured with a rubber band fished out of her bag.


"I love you," said Harry quietly, "and everything about you, including your hair."


His cheeks suddenly felt rather warm again. Where on earth had that come from?


He glanced at Ginny only to find her regarding him with open amazement. "Harry James Potter, was that a compliment?"


Harry shrugged. What could he say? He had no idea why he’d just said that. He’d been thinking it – and it had just sort of slipped out.


"That was beautiful!" said Ginny, her voice sounded strange, almost as if she were fighting tears, but when Harry looked into her eyes he saw no tears, just an added shimmer.


"Sorry," said Harry, grinning sheepishly.


"Don’t apologize," said Ginny, she kissed him lightly on the cheek. "You can compliment me any time you want." She turned as if to lead the way back up to Gryffindor Tower, but she hadn’t gone more than two steps before Harry had wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her back against his body hard enough so that there was no way she could miss his growing interest. He felt rather than heard her quick intake of breath as their bodies made contact.


"Do you want to know what I was thinking?" murmured Harry, his lips brushing the column of her neck. "Do you want to know why I was so enraptured with your hair just now?"


Harry heard the words coming out of his own mouth – thoughts that had been running through his brain like molten lava spilling over onto his tongue without so much as a by-your-leave from his senses. But he couldn’t stop himself. He didn’t want to stop himself, the look on Ginny’s face, the way she bit her lip as he as his lips hesitated at the sensitive juncture of neck and shoulder, was worth every word.


Ginny murmured something incoherent as Harry tightened his grip on her waist, pinning her tightly against him.


"I was imagining what your hair would look like spread out across my pillow," he murmured, his lips just brushing her ear.


Ginny let out a little moan of longing that broke off abruptly as an all-too familiar, and not-at-all welcome voice intruded.


"Now, now, can’t have my two favorite pupils getting in trouble for public displays of excessive affection now, can I?"


Slughorn’s jovial voice grated on Harry’s ears and made his clenched teeth ache.


"Of course it’s all a load of rubbish. We teachers can’t be everywhere after all. And I must say, I can’t blame you," he chuckled dryly and dropped Harry a broad wink. "Now, my dear boy," he placed a plump hand on Harry shoulder and Harry resisted the urge to shrug it off. "I believe that you placed a request to speak with me in private?"


Harry stared at Slughorn, trying to remember. So much had happened this week. Yes. Yes, he had. The evening he’d arrived he’d put in with a request to talk to Slughorn. He’d been meaning to ask him about the Horcruxes, if there was a safe way to deactivate them, but then the whole incident with Ginny and the locket – he’d forgotten all about talking to Slughorn. Still . . .it couldn’t hurt. There were still three others to find after all.


"Yeah – I did Professor."


"Well I’m free now my boy, so why don’t you toddle up to my office, there’s a good chap. Care to accompany us, Miss Weasley?"


"Another time, Professor," said Ginny brightly. "See you in a bit, Harry!" She shot him a wicked grin over her shoulder and ran off up the staircase, leaving Harry to follow Slughorn’s rotund figure down the hall to his office on the second floor.


It was time then. Harry felt oddly deflated (and not for the obvious reasons). It was as if he’d been living in a dream this last week; a beautiful, hazy sort of dream, with the search for the Horcruxes just a foggy sort of idea floating around in the back of his head; little bits of free-floating anxiety, no more important than the twenty page research paper professor Sprout had assigned them on exotic healing herbs, and which was due in December. Suddenly all the pieces free-floating bits had coalesced into a solid mass that fell like a brick into the pit of his stomach. The spell had been broken. It was time to get on with what he had come here to do.


"Well, Harry," chortled Slughorn genially as he showed Harry into his office. "It’s good to see you back my boy. You had us worried there!" Slughorn pointed his wand at the fireplace, which erupted obediently in a rush of merrily crackling flames. He gave his wand another flick, and two cut-crystal glasses filled themselves with a thick amber liquid that Harry recognized as oak-matured mead.


"And yes, I’ve tested all of the liquids in my stock," said Slughorn, taking his own glass and clapping Harry on the shoulder. "Drink up my boy. To your health."


Harry took a deep swallow of the mead, remembering the first time he had tasted it. That had also been in Slughorn’s presence, but Dumbledore had been there, and they had been trying to convince Horace Slughorn to come back to Hogwarts as a teacher. Harry blinked rapidly. He would not cry in front of Horace Slughorn. He would not!


They sat in silence for a few minutes, sipping at their drinks. Finally, Harry decided to break the silence.


"I was wondering where you’d gone, Professor. I haven’t seen you all week." It was true, too. All week the seventh year N.E.W.T. Potions class had been taught by a wispy little witch who barely said two words all during class, but would respond to most questions that were asked her by pointing her wand at the board, on which would then appear her answer.


"Yes. Amanda Drooble is quite a dear. Her father invented the blowing gum they sell at the candy shops. She was quite brilliant at Potions, but I must say, she was never one for conversation."


"Yeah, I sort of figured that bit out," said Harry dryly. For a while he’d been afraid that he’d risked his foray into the Room of Requirement the previous Saturday for nothing. For so far the bubble gum queen (as Ron had so aptly named her) had given them nothing more taxing than a babbling beverage to brew.


He hadn’t told anyone, not even Ron, Hermione or Ginny that he had rescued the Half-Blood-Prince’s old potions textbook from its fate amongst the piles of treasures and heaps of rubbish that had been hidden away over the millennia. He’d simply replaced his new copy of his Advanced Potions book with the Prince’s, feeling a twinge at the thought that it had been handled by Snape, scribbled in by Snape. Still, he had to admit that the Prince had been brilliant at potions. If he simply kept to the potions and ignored any of the potentially dangerous spells that had been written in the margins, he should be safe enough.


Come to think of it, the spells in the margins, while dangerous and deadly in their own right, could possibly be useful. He had determined to write all of the extra spells down and practice them on pumpkins or something that couldn’t be killed if a spell turned out to be hazardous. The memory the slashes appearing on Draco, of Draco’s bloody body, of the blossoms of blood in the water on the bathroom’s floor, swam to the surface of Harry’s mind. He could have killed him.


I should have killed him. I should have let him die.


But Draco had lowered his wand. There at the end, on the top of the Astronomy tower, Draco had lowered his wand. Harry felt a piercing pang. Why couldn’t the Order have held the Death Eaters off for just a moment longer? Dumbledore had convinced him. It would all have been over in minutes. It took Harry a moment to realize that Slughorn was speaking again.


"Unfortunately I had to go attend to leave on personal business; most unfortunate. But here we are, right as rain and all together again. Now, my dear boy, I know that you have other things on your mind – more enjoyable things than exchanging pleasantries with an old man into the wee hours." He dropped Harry another cheeky wink. "So tell me, what did you need to speak to me about?"


"I wanted to know about Horcruxes, sir-" began Harry, but was interrupted by Slughorn who had leapt to his feet, upsetting his tumbler and sending the contents of a sweets box skittering into every corner of the room.


"I am not going to have this conversation again! I will not tell you anything about Horcruxes young man, so I think it is time that you left!"


"Would you please shut up and listen, Professor?" said Harry, slamming his glass of mead down on the table so hard that it shattered, the golden liquid puddling amongst the shards of glass like honey escaped from a bee hive.


"I beg your pardon?" said Slughorn, looking scandalized.


"If you would do me the courtesy of listening instead of jumping to conclusions, you’d know that I’m not asking you how to make a Horcrux. That is something I already know too much about," said Harry bitterly. "I need you to tell me how to recognize one once I find it, and how to destroy it once it’s been found."


"My dear boy, surely you don’t need to be worrying your head over things of this nature! I can guarantee you, there will be no questions about Horcruxes on your N.E.W.T. exams!"


"I don’t give a damn about the N.E.W.T. exams," said Harry bluntly, earning him another scandalized look. "I need to know what it is I’m looking for."


"Looking for, but Harry, surely you don’t-"


"Haven’t you figured it out yet, Professor?" said Harry, not caring if he was upsetting Slughorn. Let him squirm. He needed the information. He could have used the information long before now. "Lord Voldemort – the boy you knew as Tom Riddle – has split his soul, that’s what enabled him to come back after everyone thought he was dead after he tried killing me as a baby. And he didn’t just split it once, he’s split it multiple times."


"Seven," said Slughorn in a barely audible voice. "He said – he said seven . . ."


"Yes, that’s what Dumbledore thought too," said Harry, nodding.


"Harry, you can’t be sure that he made them," said Slughorn, shaking his head in denial. "Just because he knew about them doesn’t mean-"


"That wasn’t a natural fire that burned the beech tree, Professor."


Slughorn stopped, letting out a woof of air as if he’d been punched in the stomach.


"Ginny accidentally activated a Horcrux that I had found. Voldemort tried to possess her, well, the bit of him that was in the Horcrux did. He tried to come back through her! But she destroyed it. There are others though."


"How do you know?" said Slughorn, his face had gone a pasty white, he looked as if he were going to be ill.



"I destroyed one myself, Professor, quite by accident during my second year. And Professor Dumbledore – how do you think he injured his hand? He hurt it destroying another one of them. What do you think we were looking for when we left the school grounds the night Dumbledore died?"


"You mean – there are - more?"


"Six total. The seventh bit being in Lord Voldemort himself. Three now are destroyed, including one that was inside of Slytherin’s locket," said Harry, removing the warped and twisted locket from his pocket and holding out for Slughorn to see. "It is a safe bet that the three remaining Horcruxes made use of the other objects of power."


"The objects of power are just legends," said Slughorn, waving a dismissive hand.


"I saw them, professor! Two of them at least; the locket and Hufflepuff’s cup. What’s to say that Ravenclaw’s harp and Gryffindor’s mirror aren’t also actual objects?"


Slughorn sat very still, looking as if he’d just been told that someone had died.


"Dumbledore believed they existed Professor, and so do I."


"But-" Slughorn paused, looking up at Harry with stricken eyes. "What can I possible do?"


"Teach me!" said Harry fiercely. "Teach me what to look for, Professor. Show me how to recognize them, how to destroy them without risking people’s lives!"


"But I don’t know-"


"But you can find out!" Harry insisted. "Surely someone with your sort of contacts . . . Professor," said Harry, lowering his voice and taking both of Slughorn’s doughy hands in his own. "This may just be the last chance we have destroy Lord Voldemort, to keep him from ever coming back. It’s up to me to destroy him, Professor, but I don’t have a chance in hell if he keeps coming back. I have to destroy the Horcruxes first."


"All right boy, all right," said Slughorn, seeming to wilt as he spoke. He suddenly looked very old and very, very tired. "I’ll see what I can do."


* * *


"Are you sure about this Harry?" Hermione stood very still in the center of the Headmistress’s deserted office, wringing her hands and looking extremely nervous.


"I told you, McGonagall said we can help ourselves. She’s given me –given us, permission to go through all of Dumbledore’s books. Look, see? She even gave me a list of titles!"


"But – Harry, this is the Headmistress’s office! I can’t just-" she looked around and waved her hands at the bookshelves crammed with leather-bound books and scrolls of parchment "-make myself at home!"


"Why not?" said Harry, sitting down cross-legged in front of one of the bookshelves and pulling out several promising-looking volumes.


"Its just not – right!" Hermione insisted.


"Look, Hermione, I’m not completely stupid you know. Do you really think I’d risk detention – or expulsion – to come search through the Headmistress’s personal library? Okay, scratch that," said Harry, noting Hermione’s raised eyebrow. "Try this, how do you think I knew that these particular books were here?" he said, waving the scrap of parchment at her.


"Lucky guess?" she said dryly. "Or Dumbledore could have told you!" she added accusingly.


"Well, he didn’t," Harry said firmly, "and you’ll just have to take my word on that one, Hermione. Just like you’ll have to believe me when I tell you I have permission to be here!"


Harry sighed. McGonagall had given him permission. She’d called him into her office the morning after his little chat with Slughorn.


"Professor Slughorn informs me that you are looking for information on Horcruxes," she’d said in a stern voice.


"On how to recognize and destroy them, yes."


"Of course. I didn’t think . . . .well, he also informed me of where he believes that you can find the information you are searching for."


Harry had felt himself tense. He didn’t want to leave Hogwarts; not yet. But if the information was in some remote location, he wouldn’t have much of a choice. Screwing up all his available courage and willing his voice to remain steady he’d asked, "and where would that be?"


McGonagall had waved a hand around the room, at the dozens of bookcases, each crammed to overflowing with books and scrolls of every shape and size. "Here."


Harry had stared at her, not entirely certain he had heard her correctly. "You mean . . ."


"He wouldn’t allow books on the subject into the Hogwarts library of course, not even into the restricted section, but according to Horace, Albus had collected a goodly number of texts on the subject, which he claims are located among Albus’s private collection. According to Professor Slughorn, Dumbledore was quite obsessed by the subject."


"P – Professor Dumbledore?" Harry had hated the way his voice had come out sounding strangled.


"Oh, I don’t think it was out of personal interest," said McGonagall with a tight smile. "Horace thinks that Professor Dumbledore suspected that You-Know-Who had been dabbling with the idea and that he wanted to be prepared."


"Yeah, I suppose," Harry had paused, considering before asking, "Professor, when I talked to Professor Slughorn, why didn’t he tell me about this himself? Surely it didn’t take him this long to remember where the information might be!"


"Ah yes, of course," McGonagall had said, smiling slightly. "I do believe that Horace wishes to distance himself as much as possible from any perceived threat to the Dark Lord – just in case it doesn’t work."


Harry had felt his lip curling. "Self-preservation," he’d said, unable to keep the sneer out of his voice. What was it Phineas had said? About Slytherins knowing when to save their own skins?


"Yes," said McGonagall, nodding as she noted the look on Harry’s face. "It does take a certain – personality – to be a Slytherin. Anyway, Albus left me his entire collection and, well, I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface, but you are more than welcome to come in and look through them any time you’d like – provided of course that it is before curfew."


"What, here?" said Harry, startled.


"Of course here," said McGonagall. Her eyebrows had contracted into a hawk-like line. "We can’t have books of this nature wandering the corridors. Surely you can understand this."


"Well, yeah, but-"


"You may of course make notes to take with you - provided that you use the proper concealment charms, but the books themselves need to remain here."


Harry had looked around him, stunned at the sheer number of texts. It wasn’t as bad as the library of course, Dumbledore’s office wasn’t that large, but there was still a tremendous amount of information, and he was willing to bet that Dumbledore hadn’t been nearly as meticulous about organization of his own private collection as Madam Pince was in regards to the school volumes.


"If you think that Mr. or Miss Weasley or Miss Granger could be of assistance in your search, Potter, by all means bring them along. I’ll make certain that I give you notice if I change the password."


And so, here he was, with an extremely uptight Hermione standing stock still in the middle of the room, afraid to so much as breath for fear of disturbing something.


At that precise moment the door behind them opened and Professor McGonagall walked briskly into the room.


Hermione, who had been reaching out a hand to a nearby bookshelf, sprang back into the center of the room, looking about wildly as if she were going to bolt.


McGonagall, however, didn’t so much as blink, she merely smiled and said, "Mr. Potter, Miss Granger, finding everything then, are you?" before walking over to her desk, picking up a large stack of parchment sheets and walking out again.


"Now will you believe me?" asked Harry exasperatedly.


Hermione gave him a reluctant smile and said, "I suppose we’d better get to work then."


 


* * *


It really was amazing, thought Harry as he thumbed through the titles on the stack in front of him, just how many books on Dark and Deep Magic Dumbledore seemed to have accumulated over the decades he’d served as Headmaster.


There were dozens of them, many in languages Harry had never heard of, several in French, half a dozen in German and at least a dozen Runic scripts (most on rolls of crumbling parchment) that had Hermione exclaiming.


Soon she had a large stack of books through which she was thumbing, her dict-o-quill (this year’s birthday present from Harry) scribbling frantically as she flipped through pages so fast it was rather alarming.


"Oh look, Harry! Disarming the Dark Arts! It’s the French translation! That went out of print three hundred years ago! And Undoing the Danger –oh my! The Journal of Forthright Alabaster? It can’t be! There’s never been any solid evidence that the man actually existed, let alone that he’d written a journal, and look at this . . .!"


But Harry wasn’t listening. He had just pulled a thick, stubby black-bound book out from between two slimmer volumes. Stunned, Harry stared at the gilt-edged tome in his hands, his heart thumping madly; Thicker Than Water; Blood Magic Through the Millennia.


Professor Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard. He was gifted in all branches of magic. He was, however, particularly adept at the very ancient – and much neglected arts of Blood and Binding Magic.


McGonagall’s words were still clear in his mind, but Harry hadn’t realized until just this moment that it mean he’d had actually books on the subject! Books he could read. Books he could learn from! He wasn’t worried about the Horcruxes, not now that he had Hermione working on the problem. But Magic so powerful that its protection lingered on, even after the wizard who had conjured it was dead? That could very well be worth knowing!


Harry glanced at Hermione, but she was oblivious to everything except the text in her hands, so he didn’t hesitate, but slipped the volume into his bag. McGonagall had said not to take anything relating to the Horcruxes out of her office, she’d said nothing about books on other subjects, so technically he was doing nothing wrong.


Then why are you hiding it from Hermione? said a small, truthful voice in the back of Harry’s head.


Because technically she only gave me permission to read the texts relating to Horcruxes and I know Hermione wouldn’t approve.


Yeah. That was it. He was taking it anyway though, there was no way he could possibly pass up a chance like this! Hell, he might not even be able to find it again if he tried!


A moment later he was helping Hermione sort through her stack, adding notes to the pile she had already taken, and doing his best to pretend that he found them as interesting as she did.


 


* * *




"The active Horcrux gives off a tingle to those attuned to Deep Magic (see Magic of the Spheres, Volume six, pages 694 – 843). To those without the proper training, however, the object will appear as nothing more or less than that which its castor wills it to be seen as."




"Harry, have you heard a word I’ve said?" Hermione’s voice was sharp and peevish, which was understandable, seeing as that it was two in the morning and the middle of the school week.


Harry, who had been staring into the fire of the deserted common room, his chin propped in his hand while Hermione read excerpts from her notes, looked up at the sound of her voice.


"Ronald, you were supposed to be helping me!" snapped Hermione, rounding on Ron, who was stretched out in an armchair, his feet propped up on a footstool. Ron grunted and turned over.


"Oh, honestly!" Hermione stuffed the sheaf of notes she’d been reading from back into her bag. "Look, Harry, if you’re not interested in this, just say so!" She paused for a heartbeat then added, "did you hear me, Harry?"


"I heard you, Hermione," said Harry quietly, picking up a sheet of parchment that had escaped Hermione’s wrath and handing it out to her. "But lets call it a night, okay?"


"Harry, this is important! We need to know-"


"And you need some rest," said Harry firmly. He stood and, taking Hermione by the shoulders, handed her the bag and steered her towards the stairway leading up to the girl’s dorm. "And I don’t want to see you down here before lunch, all right?" he added, shaking his finger under her nose.


"But-" Hermione looked over her shoulder, her foot on the bottom step of the spiral staircase. "What about Ron?" she asked, her expression softening as she gestured back towards the figure snoring by the fire.


"Easy enough, Mobilicorpus," muttered Harry. He pointed his wand at Ron, who rose gently a few inches off his chair. "I’ll just take him upstairs – float him right into his bed . . .unless you’d rather I floated him to yours?" Harry asked innocently.


Hermione went scarlet. "Don’t be ridiculous, Harry. Lavender would have a fit! Besides, There’s probably some sort of spell that would kick him right out a window or something. Remember what happened when he tried to come up in fifth year?"


Harry snickered. The spiral staircase to the girls’ dorm was charmed to turn into a steep stone ramp if a boy tried to climb it. Ron had tried to get up to Hermione’s dormitory, and had ended up in a heap at the bottom of the ramp.


"Goodnight, Hermione," said Harry.


He floated Ron’s prone figure up the staircase and into its bed, chuckling to himself as Ron clutched his pillow to him with a sleepy moan of "oh god, Hermione!"


"That’s right Ron, you tell her," he murmured, pulling a blanket over Ron.


"Feels soooo good, hmmmm."


"More than I needed to know mate," said Harry with a grin, and tugged Ron’s hangings closed.


He’d never seen Ron as happy as he was this year. No, not so much happy as – contented. Yes, that was it. It was as if the moment he and Hermione had sorted things out, something inside of him had clicked. While still the same irrepressible Ron, he had changed; the biggest change being that he hadn’t picked a fight with anyone in the last three weeks, not even with Hermione, which had to be a record.


Still mulling over Ron’s changed behavior; Harry changed out of his robes, slipped off his shoes and socks and had just un-tucked his shirt when a noise from behind his bed hangings brought him up short. Harry’s wand was in his hand before he had placed the sound. It had been the rasping sound of fabric on fabric, as if someone were shifting positions as they lay in bed – his bed.


"Who’s there!" Harry hissed, poking at the curtain with the tip of his wand. Nobody answered. His heart beating madly, he took a handful of the curtain and yanked it open, prepared to curse whoever it was into oblivion, only to be brought up short by the sight of a slim form sitting cross-legged on his bed, his comforter thrown over her shoulder, her riot of red hair spilling down across the light green material of her thin cotton shift.


"Jesus, Potter, do you always curse a girl when you find her in your bed?" said Ginny in an amused voice.


"I – Ginny? What the hell are you doing up here?" said Harry, too startled to remember to keep his voice down.


"Shut up!" hissed Ginny, she reached out, grabbed him by the shirt and hauled him onto the bed whipping the curtains shut just as Neville’s sleepy voice could be heard from across the room calling, "Harry, you all right?"


"Fine Neville . . .er . . .stubbed my toe is all," said Harry lamely.


Neville muttered something incoherent and must have fallen back asleep, for a minute later his snores were reverberating through the dormitory at their full and considerable volume.


Ginny snatched Harry’s wand out of his hand and waved it at the hangings. They glowed blue for a moment, then returned to normal.


"What was that?" whispered Harry.


"An imperturbable Charm. You can talk normally now."


"Why didn’t you use your own wand?"


Ginny motioned to her own wand, which was floating about two feet above her head, its tip glowing softly, giving her just enough light to read the thick, leather-bound book she had propped open on her knees.


"Gin . . .er . . .it’s good to see you and all," murmured Harry, "but what are you doing here? How did you get in without anyone seeing you?"


"I used a disillusionment charm," said Ginny breezily. "Walked in on Dean while he was changing," she grinned wickedly. "Quite the educational experience. Anyway, I wanted to show you this," she indicated the volume on her lap. "And I didn’t feel like doing it in front of Ron and Hermione."


"But – why?" asked Harry, perplexed. "Is it for a class or something?"


For answer, Ginny lifted the book so that Harry could read the title that had been etched into the leather cover. The spidery, silvery letters appeared to undulate gently in the glow of Ginny’s wand light.


The Ties That Bind


"What is it?" asked Harry curiously, one finger tracing the shimmering script.


"It’s a book on binding magic," said Ginny. Her eyes glittered strangely in the wand light.


"Binding magic?" said Harry, and felt his heart skip a beat.


Professor Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard. He was gifted in all branches of magic. He was, however, particularly adept at the very ancient – and much neglected arts of Blood and Binding Magic.


"Where did you get it?" asked Harry slowly. He had a sneaking suspicion that he knew exactly where she’d found it.


Ginny gave him a mischievous smile. "The same place you got this," she said simply, pulling Thicker Than Water from beneath his pillow.


Both Ron and Ginny had been popping into McGonagall’s office as often as their class schedules would allow to help Harry and Hermione with their note taking, it hadn’t occurred to him that either of them would consider doing what he had done himself, and liberate a book that had nothing to do with the subject at hand. Not that he should have been surprised, Ginny was a sister to Fred and George after all.


"You nicked one of McGonagall’s books?" said Harry, raising an eyebrow at her.


Ginny snorted. "Liberated more like. I’m not going to keep it, but ever since McGonagall mentioned the Blood and Binding Magic I’ve been keeping an eye out. I mean, he had to have learned it somewhere, yeah?"


"Who must have learned it somewhere?" said Harry, frowning slightly as Ginny turned a page.


"Dumbledore of course," said Ginny, shrugging. "It could be really important for you to know these kind of spells. Look at this, Harry, it covers everything! I mean, there’s the standard stuff, like the Lost and Found charm; that’s the one that binds small objects to the one casting the spell. Mum’s been after Dad to learn that one for years! He’s always loosing stuff. But then there’s stuff like the Unbreakable Vow."


"The Unbreakable . . ."


"Vow, yeah. If you don’t live up to your end of the bargain you die."


"Die?"


"Yeah, really old magic; powerful stuff. They used to use a variation of it in wizarding weddings. It’s not used much anymore. But then there’s stuff I’ve never heard of! There’s one here, it bind’s a copy of a person’s soul to the world – I think this is how ghosts are made! But then, look here," she turned the book around so Harry could read the page she was pointing to.




The Ultimate Protection of a Place comes from the casting of the Soul’s Home. Great care should be considered in casting the Soul’s Home seeing as that it forever bonds a part of the castor’s soul to the desired location.




"Do you think that’s what she was talking about?"


"What who was talking about?"


"McGonagall, when she told you about Dumbledore’s protection charms? I mean, it makes sense. See?" she pointed to a section in the directions that discussed full potency of the charm being effected by the body of the castor being buried within the bounds of the location in question. "In order for it to be cast at all, the castor has to spill their own blood – not to death, but in ‘willing sacrifice’ and then it’s worked into the charm, see? Doesn’t that sound like what she was talking about?"


Harry felt everything inside of him go very still. "Ginny, I never told anyone what McGonagall told me, about the Blood and Binding Magic," said Harry slowly.


Ginny froze. She stared at Harry for a full minute before finally speaking.


"What?"


"I told you lot all about McGonagall asking me to teach, but I never said anything about the Blood and Binding Magic."


"Harry-" she held out a hand to him, to draw him to her, but he grabbed her by the wrist, keeping her at arms’ length.


"How did you know?" his voice sounded detached, distant, even a touch cold.


Harry wasn’t entirely certain as to how he had expected her to respond, but Ginny suddenly kneeling up on the bed (her book sliding unceremoniously off her lap) and wrenching her hand out of his grip was definitely not in the top ten. A moment later she had him by the front and her slim fingers were deftly unbuttoning his shirt.


"Ginny . . .what . . .?"


But before he could finish his sentence, before he could even register the icy heat of her fingers on his skin, she’d drawn back. The leather pouch which she had given him at the wedding, the one he still wore – more out of habit than anything – clutched firmly in her hand.


She held it up, turned it over and let the assorted objects inside spill out onto the bed. When it was empty she began loosening the stitches along one seam, until finally, from a fold of the material, she withdrew a small metal disc about half the size of a Knut.


"Cordless extendables," she said, handing it out to Harry with a mischievous grin. "Works like a transmitter, see?" She lifted the hair from her neck to show Harry two identical discs, which hung on a pair of matching gold hoops in her ears. "I just rub this one, like so," she squeezed the disc on her right ear, "And I hear everything that is said within a fifty foot radius of the one you’re holding."


Harry stared at the disc, amazed.


"A cordless-"


"Extendable," said Ginny, nodding.


"Something Fred and George came up with, yeah?"


"Well . . .in a way."


Harry looked up, suddenly suspicious. "What do you mean, in a way?"


"Well . . ." Ginny paused and Harry was rather amused to find that she was blushing.


"All right then, I’ll tell you, but don’t tell anyone else, all right?"


Harry nodded.


"Well, not to put too fine a point on it, they were working on the idea and, well, I sort of – stole their notes."


"You stole-"


"Their notes, yeah." Ginny gave Harry a half smile and shrugged. "I couldn’t let them get finished Harry, I . . ." Ginny paused, looking extremely uncomfortable. "I – I found out that the Order had commissioned Fred and George to come up with something to help keep track of you, you know, listen in on what you were doing and make sure that you didn’t do anything stupid."


"They what!?" said Harry, staring at her in horror. "They wouldn’t!" he spluttered. "Not your Mum and Dad . . .or Bill . . .and Lupin . . .he wouldn’t, would he?"


His insides were crawling unpleasantly. Who in their right minds would do something like that? Have him tracked, tagged, like one of those wild animals on the nature shows that would be treated by Veterinarians, tagged, and then let loose. They had the illusion of freedom, but everything they did was sent back to a bank of computers in the Vet’s lab. And let the animal step one toe out of line or show one abnormal symptom, and bang, they’d find themselves back on the Vet’s table faster than you could say ‘Wild Kingdom."


"Please tell me you’re joking!" said Harry, his voice strangled.


"I don’t know who asked them to do it, Harry," said Ginny tiredly. "All I know is that it was someone in the Order, they wouldn’t tell me who. I’ll tell you one thing though, Fred and George didn’t like the idea much, they kept putting it off, saying that they couldn’t get it right."


"Well, before the raid on Diagon Alley, Mum and Ron and I were visiting their shop. I was rummaging around in the back room and saw all these notes laid out. I asked George what it was about – and he told me everything, but swore me to secrecy. He said he didn’t like it, but that it was almost done, that there were just a couple of bugs to get worked out. Anyway, then he left the room and . . .well . . ." she shrugged. "When he came back, the notes were gone. They never did get around to trying again, you disappeared not long after."


"Then they know it was you that stole them," said Harry, scowling. "I mean, Gin, it’s pretty obvious."


"I don’t think either of them were too fussed actually," said Ginny with a grimace. "Anyway, I brought the notes home and worked them out myself."


"Bugs and all?"


"Yeah, simple really, once you know what you’re doing." Ginny grinned mischievously.


"Brilliant is what it is Gin," said Harry admiringly. He reached out a hand to touch the ring in her ear. "So you could hear me, the whole time?"


She nodded, her eyes were large and luminous, but there was a slightly anxious expression on her face. "You’re not upset, are you? I mean, I know it was an invasion of privacy, but Harry . . .I couldn’t just let you go," she whispered, her voice sounding anguished. "Not without making sure that I’d know if something – happened to you."


Harry closed his eyes. Ron, Hermione and Ginny; they had accepted his leaving without question, understanding that he needed to be by himself for a while. But they hadn’t given up on him. Hermione had put the tracking charm on the pouch and Ginny had secreted the cordless extendable in it so that they would know instantly if he were in trouble. Why didn’t that bother him?


The knowledge that they had cared enough about him to go to those sort of lengths filled him with a warm, golden sort of glow. Unlike the news of the Order wanting the same ability to keep him safe, to keep him from doing anything stupid as if he were a six year old and not to be trusted out on his own. That left him with a stomach full of roiling anger.


"I – I don’t mind you lot knowing," he said, nodding at the disc. "It, well . . ." he paused, at a loss for words, "it makes me feel like all the time I was out there I wasn’t really alone, you know?" he said slowly.


"Whereas you’d like to tell the Order to bugger off and mind their own business," said Ginny, nodding her head sagely. "Exactly. The tracking charm on the bag, it only-"


"Worked for you, Hermione and Ron. Yeah, Lupin told me when he saw it," said Harry with a smile.


"But this," Ginny reached up to touch the disc in her ear. "Nobody knows what it is. I didn’t even tell Ron and Hermione."


"Why?" said Harry without thinking and, to his astonishment, Ginny went scarlet.


"I-" she swayed slightly where she knelt and put out a hand, resting it on Harry’s now bare chest to steady herself. "I guess it sounds selfish, but I wanted to know something about you no one else did," she said, her voice was barely louder than a whisper.


Harry sucked in a breath. Her touch was like fire . . .like ice . . .the place where her hand rested burned with a tingling heat that was rapidly spreading through his veins like some sort of magical enervating elixir. He inhaled and the flowery scent of her hair filled his head, making it nearly impossible to think clearly. He was suddenly very much aware of the fact that they were kneeling just inches away from each other, so close that he could feel the heat of her body radiating against his skin.


A moment later she was in his arms. Had he kissed her, or had she kissed him? Did it matter? His shirt was gone and the feel of her hands against the bare skin of his back was mesmerizing. The way he could feel every curve and contour of her through the thin fabric of her shift, seemed to be breaking through some sort of barrier that had until now kept him in check, even with Ginny.


He intensified the kiss, his tongue probing deeper; demanding more, and more, but she matched him with her own demands, and then the barrier inside him snapped, and he gave himself up to the kiss completely, pouring into her everything he had . . .everything he was . . .


Their clothes were gone . . .where had they gone? When had they gone? He found that he didn’t care; the feel of her skin beneath his hands . . .the feel of her skin against his had ignited a fire inside of him that burned with an all-consuming heat. She was all he could think of . . .all that he wanted . . .all that he was.


Harry! The voice, Ginny’s voice, sighed through his mind like a summer wind through the trees and in that moment her body went fluid, molding itself to his so perfectly that he couldn’t tell where his body ended and hers began, and then he found that it didn’t matter. He didn’t have a body of his own any more. It was their body, his, and Ginny’s.


And there was a moment, one precious, perfect moment when he could feel her heart beating inside of his, feel her thoughts twining around his and for that single moment . . .a moment that contained an eternity . . .he was no longer simply holding Ginny Weasley, he was Ginny Weasley. He was the two of them together. And then the world folded in on itself and disappeared in a burst of white-hot light.


 


 



Back to index


Chapter 11: INTERLUDE 2





CHAPTER ELEVEN: INTERLUDE 2



 


Ginny Weasley lay quite still, listening to Harry’s rhythmic breathing. With her head pillowed against his chest she could even hear the liquid beat of his heart. There had been a moment – just – just before, when she could have sworn that she’d felt their hearts beating inside of each other and it had been that sudden realization, that he was inside of her – truly inside of not just her body, but her heart, that had sent her over the edge.



She could feel a tear slipping out of the corner of her eye, but didn’t dare move to wipe it away. She didn’t want to wake him. She didn’t want to see those clear green eyes boring into hers, making her very soul catch its breath. Because she knew that when they did she’d see the question there – the question that he had every right to ask, and for which she truly didn’t have an answer, at least not one that made any logical sense.



The tear ran off the tip of her nose and dropped silently onto Harry’s chest, shimmering briefly as it quivered on a hair at Ginny’s eye level before sliding down it and out of site.


As if in response to the tear, Harry’s arms tightened around her protectively and even now, satiated as she was, Ginny could feel the heat stirring inside of her at the feel of his hands against her skin.



She hadn’t come to Harry’s bed tonight with the purpose of getting him to make love to her. She’d only meant to show him the book on binding magic and then she’d planned to leave.



Liar, said a small, truthful voice in the back of her head. You were hoping that he would do exactly that.



Well, all right then. She’d been hoping for exactly that ever since he’d returned to Hogwarts. She’d been wanting that ever since he’d returned to Hogwarts. Several times she’d thought that now, finally, he’d gotten up the nerve, that now was the moment, but he always backed off. It was a good thing he’d waited though, for if he’d worked up the nerve even a week ago she would never have been able to perform the spell whose magic she could feel stirring in her veins even now.



It hadn’t been until tonight that he’d broken through whatever barrier it was that had held his passion in check. And when the dam inside him had finally burst, she’d nearly been swept away by the tide of emotion, the surge of power that he’d poured into her in that kiss. In fact, she’d been so overwhelmed by it that she’d barely had time to murmur the last words of the spell it had taken her the better part of a week to prepare, before he’d slipped inside of her.



But would it work, truly? The tingling burn that the book said she’d feel just under her skin if the spell worked properly, that was definitely there. But would it be as effective? Would it work when he needed it most?


She’d found the spell in the book of binding magic she’d liberated from McGonagall’s office. It was, according to the text, one of the most powerful Binding spells known to wizarding kind. Voluntarily performed by the witch about to give up her virginity, the First Blood Bond provided the wizard who took her virginity with the most powerful protection available, short of doing what his mother had done and giving her very life to protect him. But would the First Blood Bond work if she hadn’t technically been a virgin?



Ginny smiled wryly against Harry’s chest. It would have to be enough. Surely the magic could tell the difference between the first time she’d given herself voluntarily to someone and being forced into a deal with that abomination that had used her when she’d been too young to even understand what was happening.



Was it possible to be raped by a ghost?



* * *



 


"Ginevra, my beautiful Ginevra!"



His voice, Tom’s voice, had been like silk, wrapping itself around her mind.



"I promise it won’t hurt. Don’t cry little one, it will all be over soon."



But it hadn’t. Tom had kept her awake, aware as he made her descend that last time into the Chamber. That, in and of itself, had been horrible enough, she hadn’t been able to actually remember being down there before. It had been dark and dank and cold; a chill that worked itself into her very bones; the slithering sounds of the Basilisk inside of the statue making her skin crawl.



If that had been all – oh god, if that had been all – perhaps it wouldn’t have been so very bad. But it hadn’t been all. Slowly, oh so slowly, Tom Riddle had risen up out of the diary that she’d been clutching like a talisman to her chest. He rose up out of it and had actually reached out and touched her – his hands ghostly cold, but terrifyingly solid for all of that. But it hadn’t stopped there.



Still awake, still aware, she had watched in horror, unable to do so much as lift a finger while he’d forced himself on her, touching her in ways that made her want to be sick, taking over not only her body but pouring himself into her mind; dark thoughts and images that would haunt her for the rest of her life.



And then, when it was all over, when Madam Pomfrey had examined her and put her to bed with a large dose of chocolate and a murmur of comforting words, Ginny had listened to the low voices beyond the curtain; listened to Madam Pomfrey talking to her parents, describing the blood that she’d found on their daughter’s clothes, telling her parents that it appeared as if their daughter had been sexually assaulted and did they want to look into the matter any further?



But Dumbledore had arrived then, his voice low and soothing. He’d spoken briefly to her parents and Madam Pomfrey before coming in to talk to Ginny.



"Ginevra, can you tell me who did this to you?" he’d asked, his face creased by concern.



She’d explained about Tom coming out of the diary, about his hands feeling so solid . . .she had tried to explain what had happened afterwards, but had been a point when she was unable to go on, shaking her head, the tears pouring down her face.



Dumbledore had understood even her silence, she could see it in his eyes, in the way his expression remained serious, even grave. He had not tried to get her to stop crying. He had simply sat beside her, holding her hand, stoking it gently with his own gnarled one until her tears had come to a snuffling halt.



"Ginevra, I wish that none of this happened," he said finally, his voice low and soothing. "I wish that you could have been spared this . . ." his voice had broken and Ginny had looked up, amazed to find that his light blue eyes were filled with tears. "But believe me when I say that it will all work out in the end . . .there may even prove to be a reason that this happened. All that matters is that you remember one thing; it wasn’t real.



Ginny had opened her mouth to protest that it had certainly felt real enough, but Dumbledore had raised his voice slightly, holding up his hand to stem her flow of words.



"In all the ways that truly matter, it was not real, don’t ever question that."



And she hadn’t. She’d clung to Dumbledore’s words for the last five years. Every time that the nightmares would resurface, she’d play his words over and over again in her head;



. . .in all the ways that truly matter, it was not real . . . .



* * *



 


Ginny shuddered involuntarily and suddenly found herself looking into Harry’s vividly green eyes.



Oh god, he was going to ask her, she just knew it. There was no way he could have missed the fact that she was not a virgin. He’d want to know – he’d ask her who had been the first. What could she possibly say to a question like that?



"Hey," Harry whispered, reaching down a finger to wipe away the second tear that was following the first down it’s lonely track. "Are you all right? I – I didn’t hurt you, did I?"



Ginny shook her head, and suddenly found herself crying in earnest. "No, it has nothing to do with that," she said, shaking her head with a smile. "It’s just – oh god, I love you so much, Harry!"



"And I love you," said Harry, smiling down at her. He ran a hand down the length of her body, making her shiver deliciously. "So much," he added, and there was no question in those gorgeous eyes, no accusation, only love; unconditional love and then he was kissing her again, his fingers tangling in her hair. He broke the kiss, raising his head slightly so he could see her face. "Should I show you how much?" he murmured with a grin.



"Oh god yes!" she moaned, drawing his head down to her kiss.



And he did.



 


 



Back to index


Chapter 12: DISCOVERIES





CHAPTER TWELVE: DISCOVERIES



 


"Harry!"



Harry heard the voice on the very edge of his consciousness. The rest of him was too comfortable to bother with it. God, why did he feel so good?



Ginny . . .



Harry felt a smile lift the corners of his mouth as he remembered everything that had happened last night. Just thinking about it was causing stirrings that had absolutely nothing to do with the way his hangings were rustling right now.



"Hmm." Harry sighed and drew Ginny more tightly into the protective circle of his arm, luxuriating in the feel of her skin against his; the silken feel of her hair where it lay, fanned out across his chest.



"Psst! Harry!" The voice again – and it wasn’t Ginny’s.



The voice.



The hangings.



Harry’s eyes snapped open and he winced as full daylight slammed into his eyes, sending a bolt of pain straight into his brain. From the quality of the light it had to be close to noon.



Damn, I – we must have overslept.



Harry shaded his eyes, squinting up for the source of the voice. The curtains were being held back by a pair of hands. Above the hands Harry could just make out Neville’s round, anxious face peering in at him anxiously.



"Jesus, Neville!" yelled Harry, yanking the spread up over his and Ginny’s entwined forms. "What the bloody hell are you doing here? What time is it? What happened to the Imperturbable charm?"



"They wear off if you don’t renew them, but Harry, come on! I’ll explain everything later, just get her out of here, hide her, something! I heard them downstairs, someone in Ginny’s dorm reported her missing, McGonagall’s on her way up!"



"McGonagall?" said Harry, stunned.



"Bloody Hell!" exclaimed Ginny, who appeared to have woken up. She sat up abruptly and began poking around in the tangled bedclothes. "Where’s my wand? Harry, can you find a wand? Doesn’t matter which just hand it to me!"



"Morning Neville!" she said brightly as Harry joined her in sifting through the sheets.



"Afternoon actually," said Neville with a lopsided smile.



"Gin, I can’t seem to find-"



"For heaven’s sake, Neville, can I see your wand?"



"Downstairs in my bag," said Neville apologetically.



"Oh never mind," snapped Ginny exasperatedly before closing her eyes, balling her fists as she scowled in concentration and, with a puff of displaced air, turned into a sleek calico cat with golden eyes.



"Bloody hell!" yelled Harry and Neville together.



The cat winked at them, leapt lightly off of Harry’s bed and settled herself onto Neville’s just as the door burst open and Ron came striding purposefully into the room followed by a slightly flustered looking Hermione and Professor McGonagall looking very tall and stern.



"Good afternoon, Mr. Potter, having a bit of a lie-in I see," said Professor McGonagall dryly.



"I . . .er . . .overslept," said Harry lamely.



"And he’s alone, Professor, just like I told you he would be," said Ron with a self-satisfied nod. "She must have been making things up."



"Who’s making things up?" said Harry and Neville in unison.



"We’ve looked everywhere else, Mr. Weasley," said McGonagall firmly. "And the Fat Lady says that she hasn’t seen her come out yet today. And I must admit," she said, advancing into the room, "that after finding that both Mr. Potter and Miss Weasley had missed both their morning classes and the fact that neither one of them has yet been seen leaving Gryffindor tower is rather suspicious and tends to lend credibility to her story."



"Who’s story?" asked Neville.



"But Harry’s here!" said Ron triumphantly, ignoring Neville. "So everything’s all right, yeah?"



"And Ginny’s just walked off the face of the planet then, has she?" asked Hermione acidly.



Ron’s ears went pink, but he answered her stoutly. "Look, Hermione, just because Ginny didn’t come back to her dormitory last night doesn’t mean she necessarily spent it up here!"



"I never said she did!" snapped Hermione. "Jessica Hamilton, the sixth year prefect, she reported Ginny as missing this morning at breakfast. And then after two of her teachers reported her as missing classes I had to report her to the Headmistress! What else could I do?"



Ron opened his mouth, probably to tell Hermione exactly what else she could have done, but Professor McGonagall chose just that moment to speak up.



"You did exactly the right thing, Miss Granger. The safety of our students is of utmost importance, and that means checking in at the appropriate times and alerting the proper authorities if alternative arrangements prove to be necessary. What I would like to know is why you did not report Mr. potter as missing after he’d missed his morning classes Mr. Weasley?"



"Well, I wasn’t too worried, was I?" said Ron, shrugging. "I knew Harry’d been up late. I figured he’d decided to skive off classes, you know, have a bit of a lie in."



"As admirable as your loyalty to your friends is," said Professor McGonagall in a sharp, brisk tone. "Exceptions are not to be made for those closest to you. A rule is a rule, and I expect all rules put into place by this institution to be honored regardless of who it is that is breaking them. Do I make myself understood? Mr. Weasley?"



Ron muttered something indistinct.



"If I catch you at it again, Mr. Weasley, you will loose your badge. Is that understood? As for you!" she said, rounding on Harry. "I want you out of bed this instant. This is a school we’re running Mr. Potter, not a private hotel! You’ve missed all your morning classes and will be lucky if you are not late to your afternoon sessions as well."



"I . . .er . . .Professor . . .you might want to . . ."



"Out of bed Mr. Potter, now please," snapped Professor McGonagall.



From behind him, Harry could hear Neville sniggering.



"Professor, I really don’t think you want me to-"



"It doesn’t matter what you think of the matter, Mr. Potter. I want you out of your bed, now."



Harry cast a sideways look at the cat, who lay purring smugly on the end of Neville’s bed, her eyes slitted as she kneaded Neville’s comforter. Harry shrugged and swung his legs out of bed, going from a sitting to a standing position in one fluid movement.



Hermione dropped her wand.



"Bloody hell, Harry, when’d you start sleeping starkers?" yelled Ron, snatching a sheet and tossing it to Harry.



Several items, including Harry’s wand, fell out of the sheet and clattered, or fluttered to the floor and, to Harry’s horror, McGonagall managed out to catch to one of them before he could.



"And when, may I ask," said Professor McGonagall in a rather peevish tone, "did you begin collecting ladies undergarments?" She raised her wand – on the end of which had been impaled a pair of Ginny’s white lace knickers.



Ron stared at the incriminating piece of fabric for a full ten seconds before he spoke. "You’d be surprised at the sorts of things Fred and George’s fake wands turn into," he said in a rather strained voice.



"I’ve got two rubber chickens now," volunteered Neville brightly, "as well as a tin parrot, a pirate flag and a honking daffodil that plays ‘God Save the Queen.’"



"One they gave me just turns into a pair of briefs with fat black Quaffles all over it," said Ron glumly.



From the corner of his eye Harry saw Hermione quickly scoop something up and pocket it as McGonagall looked from Ron to Neville to Harry and back again before sighing deeply.



"Fine then. Detention Potter, for missing two classes with no excuse. Eight O’clock. Saturday night. My office." She turned on her heel, marched to the door then paused, looking around at them with her hand on the doorknob. "If any of you hears from Miss Weasley, please let me know immediately." And with that she was gone.



The door had barely clicked shut behind her when Harry found himself pinned to the wall, Ron’s arm at his throat, his other hand brandishing Ginny’s knickers in his fist.



"What have you been doing with my sister!" Ron growled, his face was scarlet, his expression furious.



"What are you doing?!" shouted Neville springing forward, but Ron shook him off.



"Seeing as that I just saved his arse, he’s going to answer a question for me. Are you shagging my sister?" spat Ron, his face was now an alarmingly dark red and was even more disturbing being seen from just a few inches away.



"Let him go Ron!" cried Hermione, tugging ineffectually at Ron’s arm. "He can’t tell you anything if he can’t breath!"



The pressure of Ron’s arm eased up slightly and Harry spluttered incoherently for a moment, sucking great gulps of air into his lungs. He was about to answer when, with a soft pop, Ginny appeared perched on the end of Neville’s bed where the cat had been a moment before, her hair tumbling over her shoulders in a cascade of brilliant fire. She was wearing nothing but a smile.



"Of course he is," said Ginny sweetly."



For the second time Hermione dropped her wand, but somehow Harry didn’t think it had anything to do with what Ginny had said.



An odd mixed of emotions seemed to be vying for possession of Ron’s features. He settled at last on a combination of shock and anger.



"I answered your question you great prat," said Ginny contemptuously. "Yes, your little sister is shagging your best mate. Happy now? Tell me something Ron, what did you think we were going to do, hold hands for a whole year?"



Ron opened his mouth, but the only thing that came out was a thin sort of squeak. "Ginny?"



"No, I’m the bloody Queen Mother."



"I – you’re-" spluttered Ron.



"What, not of age?" said Ginny, standing up and stretching her back with a wince. "If I remember correctly Lavender was only what, sixteen? And I don’t recall that stopping you, you hypocritical eel."



From behind him Harry could hear Neville’s muffled laugh.



"I didn’t . . .we never . . .Ginny you – you’re-"



"What?" said Ginny challengingly. "I’m what Ron? What exactly am I?" she was standing toe to toe with him now, her eyes snapping furiously. "What’s the matter Ron, cat got your tounge?"



"Jesus Ginny, you-you’re-"



"Beautiful," breathed Harry, grinning broadly. Even stark naked and furious she was absolutely gorgeous.



"Naked?" suggested Neville.



Harry handed her the robe from the back of his chair and she slipped into it with a grateful smile.



"You’re an Animagus," said Hermione in an awed voice. "That’s really difficult magic Ginny, how long have you been able to turn?"



"Sirius taught me," said Ginny, shrugging. "The summer before my fourth year. He said he thought I had a natural ability, but he-" she glanced sideways at Harry, then added, "he wasn’t able to finish our lessons and I didn’t dare try it on my own until just this past summer.



"I-" Ron swallowed, looked from Ginny to Harry and then sank onto Neville’s bed with a groan, his head in his hands. "Harry, mate, I’m sorry," he said in a muffled sort of voice. "I know that you – that you wouldn’t hurt her, I saw those knickers and I sort of . . ."



"Lost it," said Harry, rubbing ruefully at his throat. "Yeah, I noticed. Look, Ron, if it’s any consolation, I love her."



"I think everyone knows that," said Neville unexpectedly with a twisted half smile.



"You two are so stupid!" said Hermione suddenly. "Here is you’re sister suddenly revealing the fact that she’s an Animagus and all you can think about-"



"She’s my sister, Hermione," said Ron, looking up at last. "No matter what kinds of magic she can do, she’s still my sister and I worry about her, you know?"



Hermione nodded - a softened expression on her face.



"I’ll tell you what else I am," said Ginny quietly, putting a hand on Ron’s shoulder. He looked up, his eyes oddly bright. "I’m not only your sister, I’m in love with your best mate and I’m probably in a hell of a lot of trouble for being out of my dorm last night without McGonagall knowing what exactly it was that I was doing."



"I get it," said Ron, grinning up at her. "I won’t be reporting you – at least not yet."



"Ah, blackmail," said Ginny, grinning back at him. "About time you had something on me I suppose."



"But Ginny," said Hermione quite suddenly. "You’ve told McGonagall, right?"



"Are you kidding?" said Ginny, staring at the older girl incredulously.



"Not about this," said Hermione, waving at Harry dismisively. "I mean, about being an Animagus."



"Why would she want to that?" asked Ron bluntly.



"She has to!" Hermione insisted. "It’s the law! She has to register herself with the Ministry of Magic!"



"I’m not registering with that lot," said Ginny, her lip curling.



"You know they’re still holding Stan Shunpike?" volunteered Neville. "There’s a petition out now though, asking the Scrimgeour to at least give him a trial. Gran signed it just before we came back to school."



"Well, that’s a start," said Harry frowning. "But Ginny’s right Hermione, she can’t register with the Ministry."



"Of course she can," said Hermione dismisively. "Professor McGonagall will know how to do it and-"



"Are you listening to me, Hermione?" said Harry and something in her voice got through to her and Hermione stopped talking abruptly. "If she registers now she risks the chance of the other side finding out about it. You said yourself back in third year that the records of those who register are open to public inquiry."



"Well . . .yes, but-"



"Ginny is already enough of a target, Hermione," said Harry quietly. "Anyone associated with me is a target, but the last thing we need if for someone like Snape to find out about Ginny being an Animagus."



"I – I don’t understand," said Hermione in a small voice.



"Look, Hermione," said Ginny, putting her hand on the older girl’s shoulder. "Being able to transform is a tactical advantage, right?"



"Well yes, of course, but the Order would never ask you to spy for them or anything."



"The other side doesn’t know that," put in Neville. "Harry’s right, they would target her just so that the Order couldn’t use her."



They all looked at each other for a full minute before the bell signaling the end of lunch broke the silence.



"Well, that settles that," said Ron grimly. "Ginny’s being an Animagus stays inside of this room. I’d suggest that both of you both report to your next classes before you get in any more trouble. Ginny, I’m going to have to tell McGonagall that we found you."



"I’ll tell her," said Hermione briskly. "It will sound better coming from me. If you tell her she’ll assume you’re covering up for Harry. Come on, Ginny," she said, tugging on Ginny’s arm. "Everyone’s going to be up in a minute. You don’t want to be seen. And here, your wand." Hermione reached into her pocket and pulled out Ginny’s wand, which Harry realized must have been what Hermione had picked up off the floor. "You’ll be needing this."



Ginny twisted her arm out of Hermione’s grip, snagged Harry by the neck and kissed him deeply. "See you later Potter," she said, smiling into his eyes. "Provided McGonagall doesn’t give me the death sentence."



 


* * *



"So, what’s the damage?" Harry asked as he slid onto the bench beside Ginny at Supper five hours later.



Ginny was thumbing through a copy of One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, scowling at it as if it had personally insulted her.



"A week’s worth of detentions," she said darkly. "Out in the greenhouses with Madam Sprout. She’s supposed to have gotten a large shipment of Levitation Leeks and needs someone to help her milk them."



"Good thing its Sprout," said Ron, flopping down on the bench across from them and lobbing a roll at Ginny, who ducked.



"Why good?" asked Harry.



"Because, she goes to bed at what, eight O’clock?" said Ron, looking to Neville for confirmation.



"Nine most nights," said Neville, shaking his head.



"See? So at the worst she’ll be putting in about three hours a night. You’re supposed to report at six, yeah?"



"Still three hours wasted," grumbled Ginny.



"Er . . .Ginny," Hermione was staring at the book in Ginny’s hands, a small frown creasing her forehead. "Aren’t Levitation Leeks the ones that look like . . ."



"Yes," said Ginny quickly, her scowl deepening and a slight flush creeping up her neck. "And if that’s not bad enough you have to . . .er . . .stroke them to get them to release their milk."



On the other side of Ginny, Neville made a choking sound.



Harry snatched the book from Ginny and began flipping through the pages.



"You don’t think she knows?" said Hermione in a low voice.



"She suspects," said Ginny shrugging. "why else would she have assigned me to help Sprout with a plant that not only looks like . . ." she cleared her throat and shot Harry a sideways glance. "But one that, well, you know, even it’s scent acts as an aphrodesiac."



"Aphro – what?" said Ron blankly.



"Aphrodisiac," said Hermione, sounding as usual as if she had swallowed the textbook. "A very powerful but naturally occurring producer of endorphins, particularly those that stimulate reproductive urges."



"Try that again," said Ron slowly, putting down his fork. "Only in English this time."



"The Levitation Leek gives off a scent that tricks the body into wanting sex," said Hermione, her face now a brilliant pink. "It is very powerful. Prolonged exposure keeps the person handling it in a continued state of sexual arousal."



"Bloody hell!" exclaimed Ron. "And Sprout’s going to have her working with these things for a week? That would be like-"



"Torture," said Ginny, nodding grimly. "Which makes me think McGonagall knows."



"But then, why did Harry get off so light? I mean, he just got the one detention."



"And twenty points from Gryffindor," Harry reminded him, looking up from the book "she told me after Transfiguration."



"Yeah, well, it still wasn’t so bad, considering."


"Harry only missed two classes," said Ginny resignedly, switching her fork to her left hand. "I on the other hand not only missed two classes, but was out all night." She sighed deeply, dropping her right hand into her lap, then added in a petulant, little girl voice. "I’ve been a very bad girl and will have to mend my ways."



Harry, who was the only one aware of where, exactly Ginny’s right hand had come to rest was relieved of the necessity of maintaining a straight face as Ron, Hermione and Neville all laughed loudly.



"Walk me down to the greenhouses?" Ginny murmured in his ear as the others resumed their suppers. "I’m supposed to report to Sprout by six."



Harry, who had lost all interest in his supper agreed readily and ten minutes later she was finishing what she’d started at supper behind greenhouse three.



"Damn, Ginny, that was bloody brilliant!" moaned Harry when she finally came up for air.



"You liked it then?" she asked demurely, standing and straightening her robes.



He kissed her for answer, holding her hands above her head by the wrists, effectively pinning her in place against the greenhouse wall with his lower body as he kissed her deeply, feeling her arch against him, trying to get even closer. He could taste himself on her lips and he marveled at the things those lips – that tongue – had been doing to him just moments before.



"I’ll take that as a yes," said Ginny, her voice now husky with desire as Harry nuzzled the side of her neck.



"I suppose I should be insanely jealous," Harry murmured into her hair.



"Jealous? Of what?"



"Of the lucky guy you perfected that technique on," said Harry, grinning down at her.



"Then you’ll have to be jealous of yourself Mr. Wizard," said Ginny. Her voice was teasing, but the look on her face was deadly seriously. "That was what would have to be called a maiden voyage."



Harry glanced reluctantly at the watch on his wrist. "I’d suggest returning the favor," he murmured, kissing the tip of her nose. "But it’s seven minutes until six and we’re both in enough trouble as it is."



"Save it," said Ginny, grinning wickedly. "I’m going to need it after tonight."



"I’ll be here when you get out – I’ll bring the invisibility cloak."



"How will you know when I’m done?"



"Neville said nine," said Harry, releasing her reluctantly.



"Tell you what," said Ginny in a brisk, business-like tone. "Do you still have the cordless extendable?"



Harry pulled out the pouch and shook out the small disc. "What are you going to do?"



But Ginny already had her wand out and was muttering under her breath, poking at it with her wand tip.



"There," she said finally. "It should work both ways now. I just opened the incantation."



"So I can hear you now? Just like you can hear me?"



Ginny nodded, touching the hoop in her hear and grinned at him cheekily. "Exactly."



"Cool!" Harry held the extendable up to his ear, grinning broadly. "Hey, Gin, isn’t it going to be sort of weird, holding my hand up to my ear all the time?"



Ginny looked at him thoughtfully before removing the small hoop from her left ear. With a deft twist she removed the disc already on it, held Harry’s disc up to the pointed end, muttered a few words and slid the disc smoothly onto the hoop.



"Now then, Mr. Potter," she said in a perfect imitation of Professor McGonagall’s brogue. "Have you ever considered taking your turning your cool factor up a notch by adding an earring to your already considerable attractions?"



* * *



Two minutes later Harry was studying his reflection in a small mirror Ginny had produced from her schoolbag. It reflected a small gold hoop with an even smaller disc attached to it and it looked, at least in his opinion, not half bad.



"What do you think?" he asked, turning to Ginny. "How does it look?"



"Sexy as hell," growled Ginny low in her throat as she looked him up and down. "Dashing and dangerous at the same time, I knew you could carry it off!"



"You know," said Harry, poking at his earlobe with a finger, "I was afraid it was going to hurt. Muggles use needles, you know."



"Needles?" said Ginny incredulously. "Muggles actually poke holes in their ears with a needle?" she shivered slightly.



"Well, they can’t just say the spell like you did," said Harry shrugging. "But I think I prefer it this way."



"Now, Harry, if you want to hear me, just rub the disc like this," she demonstrated on her own, "on the side with the raised pattern on it. To turn it off, do the same thing on the smooth side."



Harry rubbed the disc.



"So you’ll let me know when you’re done?" he said, grinning as he heard his own voice coming back to him in a whisper from the disc on his ear.



"You’d better believe I will," said Ginny, kissing him fiercely. "After three hours in the company of Levitating Leeks?" she said loftily, "If you’re not here, I’ll come hunt you down myself!"



* * *



"I still think you should have picked a lightning bolt," said Neville, grinning at Harry over the top of his Transfiguration essay. "You know; lightning bolt scar, lightning bolt earring, make it a matched set."



"He looks like a poofter," grumbled Ron, scribbling the last few lines of his own essay and tossing it aside with a sigh of relief. "Bloody stupid assignment. How on earth is she going to read through three rolls of parchment for each of us?"



Hermione, who had of course finished the essay the day before, looked up from her Rune translation and gave Harry an appraising look. "I stand by what I’ve been saying for the last week," she said finally. She dropped Harry a surreptitious wink behind Ron’s back and said, "you look good enough to eat, Harry."



"That’s not what you said before!" said Ron, whipping his head around so fast that he appeared to have cricked his neck.



"Well something along those lines," said Hermione, shrugging.



"First time you saw it you said he looked dashing, not good enough to eat."



"Did I?" said Hermione innocently, turning a page in her Rune dictionary.



"Dashing, delicious, they both start with a ‘D’," said Neville from behind the pages of Advanced Transfiguration.



Harry groaned and put his head down on his arms, lightly smudging the last two lines of his essay.



"You’d think that after a whole week they’d have found something else to talk about" came Ginny’s barely audible voice from the disc in his ear. Harry grinned into his arms, imagining her milking the Levitating Leeks – she’d explained the process to him in detail over the weekend, and Harry personally thought that half of the discomfort probably came from the process of getting the milk, not just the scent or pheromones or whatever that they exuded.



He’d had his own detention in McGonagall’s office on Saturday night, reading through over a hundred first years’ essays on the theory behind turning beetles into buttons and correcting them for content. He’d found it deadly dull, and had emerged after four hours with a splitting headache, which was probably due to the background of bagpipe music she’d had playing in the background more than a result of reading through the essays.



Sunday Ron had called for an all-day Quidditch practice. Harry thought this had been going a bit far, seeing as that they weren’t due to play their first game until the second weekend in November, but Harry bit his kept his silence, looking forward to supper and a few hours in Ginny’s company. Harry had talked Dobby into packing him a picnic lunch and they’d wandered off into the grounds, making sure to be back before Ginny’s ten O’clock curfew.



It was now Wednesday evening, the fifth and final night Ginny would be required to spend in the company of Professor Sprout and the Levitating Leeks. The Cordless Extendables were all fine and good, but he was looking forward to being able to spend time with Ginny in the evenings again.



He could ignore the snide comments by the other blokes about his earring when he had Ginny to take his mind off of things, and the girls with their lingering glances, would think twice about approaching him overtly as Romilda Vane had just last night. They didn’t do more than look when he was with Ginny. Harry groaned again as he remembered the previous evening.



* * *



"You and Ginny broken up then?" Romilda had asked, eyeing his earring with an approving glance.



"You wish" had come Ginny’s voice in his ear. Harry had repressed a snort with some difficulty.



"Why, you interested?" Ron had said maddeningly before Harry could answer.



"I’m always interested," Romilda had said saucily, tossing her head and batting her eyes at Harry. "And I haven’t seen her around lately, so I figured maybe . . .she’d paused, her eyes raking him from head to toe, "maybe you’re back on the market."



"Like a piece of meat," came Ginny’s voice, sounding disgusted.



"You figured wrong," said Harry told Romilda shortly, unable to keep the grin off his face.



"Then why haven’t I seen her around in the evenings?" Romilda had asked boldly.



"She’s in detention," Harry had said with a warning glance at Ron who threw up his hands in defense, a look of high amusement plastered across his thickly freckled face.



"Oh, pity." Romilda had stalked off grumpily, leaving Harry to growl at Ron who was now laughing fit to burst.



"Back on the market!" Ron had chortled, wiping the mirth from his eyes. "Oh god, I should get you a price tag, Harry, hang it from your ear."



Harry’d had to threaten him with telling Romilda that it had been he, Ron, who had eaten the love-potion filled chocolate cauldrons she’d given Harry the previous year before. That had shut Ron up for a while, but it hadn’t lasted, and he was still chuckling every time he looked in Harry’s direction so Harry had finally given up and gone down to the greenhouse an hour early.



* * *



"So why did you choose a disc?"



Neville’s voice brought him back to the present with a snap. Harry raised his head from his arms to find Neville watching him with interest.



Of all the seventh-year Gryffindor boys, Neville alone had come out as saying he actually liked the new addition to Harry’s wardrobe though he admitted he’d never dare try it himself. "My grandmother would kill me!" he’d said rather wistfully when he’d first seen it.



Ron, on the other hand, had hooted with hysterical laughter, saying that all Harry needed now was an eye patch and he could pass himself off as a pirate, which was better than the comments being made by Dean, mostly behind Harry’s back and of quite a derogatory nature. Seamus had shrugged the whole thing off, saying he thought it looked ridiculous, but that he had observed that the girls all seemed to like it, which is why he assumed Harry had done it and commended him on his foresight.



Harry opened his mouth to answer, but Hermione beat him to it. "He picked the disc because it matches the ones Ginny wears of course," she’d said airily.



Ron turned his head back to Harry, observing him critically this time. "She does have hoops like that, doesn’t she? In fact," he reached out and touched the disc with a forefinger, "I think she used to have a bracelet that matched them, just a bunch of discs on a chain, but they looked a little like this one."



"That’s right, she did," said Hermione, standing up and coming around Harry to take a closer look at the disc. "And I haven’t seen her wear it – well – since this summer I guess," she added slowly. "Hold on, those are runic symbols!" said Hermione, her eyes going wide. She scurried back to her seat and began flipping through the pages. "Look Harry, see? The runes on your disc, it says, ah, ‘heart’ and ‘blood.’ But the order, it’s inverted, so it’s possessive, the translation would be ‘heart’s blood.’ What do you think it could mean? Harry?"



But Harry wasn’t listening. His brain had frozen on the words "heart’s blood." He’d heard those words before – seen those words before, but where? And why would they be written on the disc Ginny had originally put in his pouch?



"Harry, where are you going?" Hermione’s voice cut through the turmoil of thoughts in Harry’s head; thoughts that were leading his feet upstairs, to his trunk, to the two books that were kept at the very bottom, wrapped in old towels and hidden beneath a layer of rubbish that no one in their right minds would bother sifting through.



"Give me a minute," he called over his shoulder, and mere moments later he found himself flipping through the pages of Thicker Than Water looking for something . . .yes!





Much has been written of the Life Bond, that ancient magic which bonds one wizard to another when one wizard saves another’s life. It is understood that in situations of this sort, the one rescued owes to their rescuer a life debt. It has been said that the Life Bond is magic at its deepest and most mysterious level and yet there is one level of magic that goes beyond the Life Bond and that is the Soul’s Blood Bond.



Like the Killing Curse, the Soul’s Home, the Matriarchal Charm and the First Blood Bond, the Soul’s Blood Bond is impenetrable magic (meaning that its origins are shrouded in mystery and that once incurred there can be no reversing the effects). With the exception of the Soul’s Home, the Soul’s Blood Bond is the only spell which can be strengthened over time. Unlike the Soul’s Home, it does not require the death of the witch or wizard to increase the spell’s power.





Harry frowned at this, trying to recall what Ginny had been reading to him the night he had found her in his bed. It had been something about the Soul’s Home, he remembered that, but what had she said?



. . . .In order for it to be cast at all, the castor has to spill their own blood – not to death, but in ‘willing sacrifice’ and then it’s worked into the charm . . . .



That didn’t sound like it required the death of the witch or wizard – but this was talking about a death being needed to strengthen the spell. Harry shivered as the realization of the depth of magic he was dealing with here finally began to sink in.



Was it possible that Professor Dumbledore had died on purpose? Was it possible that he had been sealing the Soul’s Home charm, or perhaps strengthening it for the protection of his students – for Harry’s protection? But that would mean that Snape . . .



Harry shook his head, unwilling to even consider the fact that Snape was anything other than a cold-blooded killer. But if he was . . .why didn’t he kill me at Grimmauld Place when he had the chance? Harry wondered and suddenly he felt sick and shivery. No, he’d been there, he’d seen it with his own eyes; Dumbledore had begged Snape to help him . . .no, he’d merely said "Severus, Please . . ." and then Snape had killed him, just like that. What was it that Dumbledore had been asking Snape to do? And what was the name of a powerful bonding charm doing engraved on the disc that Ginny had given him? Scowling slightly, Harry turned back to the book.





Like the Life Bond, the Soul’s Blood Bond does not require any incantations or potions to be activated. It is one of those few pieces of magic which is triggered entirely by the actions of the witch or wizard; in this case by one witch or wizard not only risking their own life to save the life of another, but shedding their own blood in the process.



Unlike the Life Bond, in which the life debt owed by the one rescued may be repaid by saving the life of the rescuer, the Soul’s Blood Bond can not be repealed or repaid. It can, however, be strengthened.



If the one whose life was saved initially in turn sheds their blood in saving their rescuer’s life, a rare event called Doubling occurs. In these rare instances of Doubling, the bond between the rescuer and the rescue does not simply even out (as is the case in a standard Life Bond) but doubles, strengthening the original bond in ways that stretch the boundaries of magical comprehension.



For example, nearly every instance of Soul Bonding known to wizarding kind has occurred between those who have doubled the Soul’s Blood Bond, although there is some controversy over whether the Doubling was the catalyst for the Soul Bonding or whether the original bonding was induced because of the instinctive soul attraction between the two individuals.



 




Harry closed the book, his hands shaking slightly. Did this mean what he thought it meant that he and Ginny shared a bond? Was what they had; was what he felt for her simply due to the fact that he had risked his own life to save hers once upon a time?



"No," Harry whispered, staring at the gilt-edged book in his lap. "There’s more to it than that."



"More to what?" Ginny’s voice in his ear made him jump, he’d completely forgotten about the disc – about the fact that she could hear him. For a full minute he sat, contemplating what to say. She’d obviously stumbled across the description of the Soul’s Blood Bond a while back, recognized it for what it was and had engraved it on his disc to identify the disc her corresponding disc as the one that connected her to himself.



"Harry?"



"I – I was just reading about the Soul’s Blood Bond," Harry said, his voice was shaking slightly. "Hermione read the inscription off of my disc."



"Yes, I heard her," said Ginny softly. She gave a deep sigh that sounded almost sad. "I was wondering when you’d make the connection."



"Doesn’t it bother you?" Harry burst out, unable to contain himself. "Doesn’t it bother you to think that everything we have-" he paused, his voice catching in his throat, "that everything we feel for each other might be because of – because of some stupid spell?"



"It’s no because of the spell," said Ginny firmly. "I You had read about it, weren’t you, and you were thinking about what we have when you said that ‘there’s more to it than that,’ weren’t you?"



Harry nodded his head, remembered that she couldn’t see him and then said, gruffly, "yes."



"Well doesn’t that answer your question?"



Harry remained silent for a moment, trying to understand what she was trying to say.



"Ginny, I don’t understand . . ."



"Did you read the last part," asked Ginny calmly. "The part about possibility of the original bonding being due to the two Souls’ natural attraction to each other?"



"Yeah."



"Doesn’t that feel – right?"



It did feel right, much more right than the thought of it being an activated piece of ancient magic drawing them together in spite of themselves.



"You saying that you think we would have ended up together anyway, even without the bond?" Harry asked quietly.



"I don’t think we would have, Harry, I know we would have."



She was right, Harry thought, smiling to himself as he put away Thicker Than Water and headed back to the common room. They would have ended up together; there was no getting around it. She’d said it all in the letter she’d put in his pouch. He belonged to her now. Harry glanced at his watch and grinned broadly as he saw that it was almost nine O’clock. Time to go meet his fate.


* * *




Ron breezed into the library just as the last of the afternoon light faded from the high mullioned windows and flopped into the empty chair beside Hermione.



"Hey, you lot, you do realize that we’re going to be late for the Halloween Feast if we don’t get a move on? Ten minutes guys!"



"Really Ron, the Halloween Feast?" said Harry in mock surprise, not looking up from the notes he’d been reading. "You mean the same event you reminded us about an hour ago?"



"And at lunch after McGonagall announced that afternoon classes were canceled," put in Hermione from behind a large sheaf of parchment.



"And after Charms," interjected Harry.



"No, that was during Charms," corrected Hermione. "Remember? I was trying to practice that Haze charm on him, the one that makes your mind go all fuzzy."



"Yeah, it’s supposed to leave you open to suggestion," said Harry, sniggering



A pair of arms wrapped themselves around his neck from behind. "Let me guess," said Ginny, her breath tickling Harry’s ear. "Hermione tried to suggest that he stop thinking about the Feast and he went right on talking about what he was looking forward to eating."



"Cor, Gin, how’d you guess?" said Ron, sounding amazed.



"You’re my brother, Ron," said Ginny, and Harry could feel her smile against his cheek. "As long as I’ve known you there’s nothing that can come between you and your food."



"Except his fingers," muttered Harry.



"Hey, that was an accident!" said Ron indignantly.



Harry raised an eyebrow.



"How the bloody hell was I supposed to know that those weren’t regular Every Flavor Beans?" growled Ron. "Some best mate you are, Harry, giving me Fred and George’s Jumping Beans!"



"You bit your fingers?" chortled Ginny gleefully. "Really?"



Ron held up the bandaged fingers of his right hand and Ginny went into gales of laughter, finally collapsing into the chair beside Harry.



"You gave them to him Harry? Oh god, I can’t wait to tell Fred and George that they worked!"



"I’m surprised they haven’t gotten in trouble for those Jumping Beans!" said Hermione with a disapproving sniff. "Someone could get seriously hurt!"



"Oh come off it, Hermione," said Ginny, wiping at her eyes with the hem of her sleeve. "How many people do you think would try to catch the things in their mouths and end up biting their own fingers instead?"



"Well . . ." Hermione took Ron’s bandaged fingers in her hand and gently kissed the tips. "They should just be more careful is all."



"God," said Ginny, rolling her eyes at Harry. "I do believe I’ve just lost my appetite."



"Damn, I almost forgot about the feast!" cried Ron, grabbing Hermione’s hand and tugging her out of her chair.



"Ron, I have to pick these up," protested Hermione, gesturing to the table strewn with parchment."



"You two go on," said Ginny brightly. "Harry and I can clean this up. You want them in your trunk, Hermione?"



"Yes please, if you don’t mind. Are you sure, Ginny? They were all ordered and everything."



"I think between Harry and I we can manage," said Ginny with a dismissive gesture. "Go on, Hermione, before he busts a gasket or something."



"You sure, Ginny?" said Hermione anxiously.



"Go on," said Ginny with a grin.



Harry watched them go; Ron rearing at the bit.



"Honestly," said Ginny, waving her wand across the table in a broad, sweeping gesture. The various pieces of parchment flew together in neat stacks, the leather bands Hermione had used to secure them, knotted themselves tightly. "You’d think he hadn’t eaten in years or something."



"Excellent!" said Harry appreciatively. "Was that a Packing charm? Tonks used that once on my trunk."



"A variation of," said Ginny. She waved her wand again. "Evanesco Relegatio– Hermione’s trunk."



The stacks of parchment vanished, leaving the table as clean as it had been when Harry and Hermione had sat down at it just after lunch.



"Er . . .Ginny? Wasn’t that a vanishing spell?"



"And a banishment charm. They’re now in Hermione’s trunk."



"But couldn’t you have used just the banishment charm?"



"Sure, if you don’t mind detailed notes dealing with advanced Dark Magic soaring through the halls," said Ginny brightly.



"But won’t they still be invisible?"



"What? Oh yeah, Revelare! There, now they’re visible again, thanks!"



Harry shook his head. Sometimes Ginny’s aptitude with spellwork was spooky; especially when she made them look so easy! Her Bat Bogey hex was magnificent. Harry had seen it several times, and it never failed to impress him, and then on the train, when had it been, the beginning of his fifth year? She’d cleaned up all the Stinksap with just a wave of her wand. It took most people several tries to clean up a mess of that size, and Ron had problems with even small messes.



"What?" said Ginny, catching his look.



"How do you do it?" said Harry wonderingly.



"Do what?"



"Spells like that – from a distance? It’s supposed to be lots harder. And that thing you did with the parchment . . .I mean, even Tonks has problems with that one. She bundled everything into my trunk every which way. But you," he waved a hand at the nearly bare table, "everything nice and neat and presto, back to where it was, ordered and everything."



Ginny shrugged. "Dunno," she said lightly, turning away from him under the pretense of picking up the quill Hermione had left on the table. "I’ve never really had to think about it." Her voice was quite steady, but Harry noticed that the hand she reached out for the quill was trembling slightly.



"Ginny," said Harry sternly, taking her by the shoulders and turning her to face him. "This is me you’re talking to."



"Harry, I-"



"Mr. Potter, I will ask you once to release that young lady before I report you to your head of house!"



Madam Pince’s sharp voice made them both jump guiltily. Harry released Ginny at once. He turned to find Madam Pince standing over them, her hands on her hips, glaring at them as if she had just caught them desecrating her precious books.



"I should report you anyway . . .a clear breach of regulations . . .excessive public show of affection!"



"Er . . .sorry!" said Harry, standing quickly and picking up his own bag clutching it against his chest almost defensively.. He’d never forgotten the two of them being chased out of the library while being beat around the head by his own things and didn’t care to repeat the performance.



"Excessive public show of affection?" said Ginny, gaping at Madam Pince in disbelief. "He was barely touching me!"



"I will tolerate no funny business within these hallowed halls!" screeched the librarian, rounding on Ginny with her teeth barred. "You are here to study, Miss, not to spoon!"



Spoon? Harry stared at the librarian, transfixed. She seemed completely deranged. Her gray hair was coming out of its usual prim knot, several strands hanging limply against the wrinkled skin of her neck.



He took a step backwards and stumbled over his chair. Ginny caught him by the arm, which seemed to infuriate Madam Pince even further, she raised her wand and they ran for it, arms over their heads to ward off the sudden shower of spoons that came raining down from overhead.



* * *



The Great Hall had, as usual, been decorated magnificently for the Halloween feast. Hagrid had outdone himself with the pumpkins. Several of the largest had been carved into Jack-O-Lanterns so large that a first year could easily walk through the gaping mouths without having to duck. Clouds of live bats swooped among the rafters never once running into any of the hundreds of floating candles or gently bobbing pumpkins that someone had magicked into mid-air.



But neither Harry nor Ginny, who were both quite out of breath by the time they reached the Great Hall, took note of the decorations. Both of them were still dodging the odd spoon that leapt out at them from the shadows and a rather largish silver serving spoon gave Harry a nasty clunk on the top of his head before he was able to immobilize it and throw it aside. It sailed right through Nearly Headless Nick, who gave Harry a long-suffering look before swooping down to take his place at the end of the Gryffindor table.



"Spoons!" spluttered Harry, collapsing onto the bench beside Hermione. "She chased us with spoons!"



Ginny, who was giggling uncontrollably slid in beside him.



"Who chased you with spoons?" said Ron thickly around a mouthful of chicken.



"Madam Pince," said Harry, grinning broadly at Ginny whose giggles had turned into full-fledged whoops of laughter as she removed a small silver teaspoon that had become tangled in her long mane of hair. She placed it on the table where it flopped about feebly, gave a final shiver, and lay quite still.



"That would explain this then," said Hermione, reaching to the back of Harry’s collar and removing a very solid looking silver ladle that had lodged itself in the back of his robes. "Seeing as it is highly doubtful that you would have put this there yourself."



"Real spoons?" said Ron, looking from the ladle in Hermione’s hand to the now lifeless teaspoon in front of Ginny, to Harry, who was rubbing the top of his head and wincing.



"Why spoons?" said Hermione, examining the one she held with mild interest.



"Be-because" spluttered Ginny, who was laughing so hard now that tears were running down her face. "Because she thought we were spooning!"



Ron, who had just taken a drink of pumpkin juice promptly sprayed it across the table, earning him a disgusted look from Lavender Brown who was sitting across from them beside Dean. Dean solicitously cleared her plate with a flick of his wand and she began serving herself fresh helpings of food.



"Oh get a grip, Ron," said Hermione, as Neville, who was sitting on Ron’s other side, thumped him hard on the back. "I’m sure they weren’t doing anything wrong, not in the library."



Harry, who could remember several rather interesting occasions during the last couple of weeks when he and Ginny had been alone in the deserted stacks, avoided making eye contact with Ginny for fear of setting her off again.



"We’d just finished cleaning up," said Harry, pointedly spearing a baked potato and putting it on his plate. "I asked Ginny a question – had my hand on her shoulder, nothing more – and Madam Pince just-"



"Exploded," said Ginny, who was now taking deep breaths in a desperate attempt to bring her giggles under control. "She – oh god, she said-" Ginny snorted with laughter and mopped ineffectually at her streaming eyes.



"She said we were showing ‘excessive public display of affection,’" Harry finished with a shrug.



"She’s mad!" said Ron, staring at them both over the top of his goblet.



"Yeah, well, I sort of figured that," said Harry dryly.



"No funny business within these hallowed halls!" crowed Ginny in a perfect imitation of Madam Pince’s infuriated tones, and then slumped against Harry, once again overcome by the giggles.



"She said that?" asked Hermione turning to Harry, her eyebrows raised. "She actually called the library ‘these hallowed halls’?"



"Barking," said Ron, shaking his head.



"I can only assume she meant the library," said Harry, helping himself to a steak and a large helping of peas.



"Here, Harry," said Ginny, reaching down to one of the outer pockets of her own bag and pulling out a rather dented table spoon that had wedged itself into the pocket, handle first, "Do you need a spoon for your peas?"



From the other side of Ron, Neville snorted so loudly that across from them, Lavender jumped.



"Luna keeps saying Madam Pince has got Gondrallies in the brain," he said grinning


broadly at them behind Ron’s back.



"Gondrallies Neville?" said Hermione skeptically. "You don’t seriously believe-"



"Of course I don’t, but you know Luna," he gave a smart salute with a potato filled- fork to the girl sitting across from him at the Hufflepuff table.



Luna smiled back serenely, raised her glass in response, and promptly turned it over, pouring its contents deftly onto Susan Bones’ plate. Susan shrieked and fell off her bench, pumpkin juice dripping down the front of her robes.



"A libation to the god of foreplay," said Luna in a dreamy voice that carried across the hall.



Neville turned bright pink and hid his head behind a special Halloween edition of The Daily Prophet.



"Speaking of mad," murmured Ginny in Harry’s ear. Harry, who had just taken a largish bite of steak, choked and was thumped on the back in turn by Hermione.



For all Ginny’s hilarity, however, it hadn’t escaped Harry’s notice that she had barely touched her food. She’d pushed her chicken and vegetables around on her plate, but hadn’t really eaten much of anything. Instead, once their laughter over the spoons had died out, she’d spent most of the evening staring with morbid fascination at the jack-o-lantern hanging almost directly over their heads; by some trick of the light its eyes, which were cut in a diamond shape, were glowing red instead of gold.



Come to think of it, she’d been quieter than usual for the last few weeks. She still smiled and joked and joined in with the conversations, but her usual joviality had been rather subdued, almost as if . . .as if she had something on her mind . . .something that was bothering her.



"What up, Gin?" Harry wondered as McGonagall waved her wand, causing all of the house tables to fly up against the walls, clearing the floor for dancing as the musical group she’d booked for that evening’s entertainment took their places on the golden-draped stage.



"I’m fine!" she said, hitching an unconvincing smile onto her face.



"Don’t give me that, there’s something bothering you. You’ve been staring at that pumpkin all evening."



"Maybe I find him attractive," said Ginny, her eyebrows raised and a touch of her usual humor in her voice. "You have to admit, he does have a rather alluring smile."



"Yeah, and I’m attracted to Moaning Myrtle," retorted Harry. "Come on Gin, let’s skive off the dancing. Take a walk with me?" he suggested, nodding his head towards the double doors that led to the Entrance Hall. They slipped out unnoticed in the general uproar caused by the first number, barely avoiding Filch who was stalking back and forth across the back of the Great Hall as if on guard duty.



"I never can tell," murmured Ginny as the crossed the Entrance Hall and let themselves out of the great oak doors, "if he’s just putting on an act, or if he really hates the students."



"Hates them," said Harry promptly. "Didn’t Ron ever tell you about Filch being a squib?"



Ginny stared at him. "Really? I mean, I’ve never seen him do magic really. I guess I just thought he was a lousy wizard. If he really is a Squib, well, that would explain a lot."



"Especially his not wanting to see magic in the halls," said Harry, nodding.



Ginny didn’t answer. They’d reached the edge of the lake which was now a deep liquid black, its mirror-smooth surface reflected the scattering of stars above them and she was staring into its depths as if transfixed.



"Look, Gin," said Harry, wrapping his arm around her waist and drawing her tight against his side, "something’s bothering you."



Ginny shivered, wrapped both her arms around him and buried her face in his robes.



"Oh god, Harry, I’m so scared," she whispered, so low that he had to bend his head to catch her words.



Scared? Did she think something bad was going to happen or (Harry felt his heart trade places with his stomach) was it because of – of what they’d been doing? He thought she’d wanted what they had as much as he did. She had certainly seemed willing enough but maybe she was having second thoughts . . .



"Ginny," Harry swallowed, wet his lips and tried again. "Look, Gin, if you’re not ready for this-"



Ginny’s head snapped back, her eyes flashing. "What the bloody hell are you talking about, Potter?"



Harry stared at her, bemused. "I – you said that you’re scared and, well, you’ve been so quiet lately, I thought you were talking, you know, about us . . .and, well, if we’re going too fast . . . ." his voice trailed off and he found himself staring down at the darkly glistening rocks that bordered the lake here.



A moment later Ginny had his face bracketed in her hands and had turned it to hers.



"Harry James Potter, get that idea out of your head right now!" she said severely. "I’ve never been more ready for anything in my life!"



"Yeah?" said Harry. His heart was back in its proper location.



"Of course ‘yeah’ you great prat!" she said with a smile and then kissed him.



"God, Gin, you sure know how to warm a bloke up," said Harry breathlessly a few minutes later. "But you still haven’t explained why you’re scared."



Ginny turned her head away to look out over the lake.



"Ginny?"



Ginny took a deep breath. "I love you Harry, you know that, right?"



Harry nodded.



"Its just – I don’t want to have any secrets from you Harry, you mean too much to me, and I’m going to tell you this, even if-" she paused, her voice catching in her throat. "Even if it means that . . .Harry, I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t . . .if you couldn’t bring yourself to – to want me – after I tell you . . ."



"Ginny," Harry had her by the shoulders now, concern etching a furrow in his forehead. She was shaking, and it wasn’t from the cold. "Ginny, look at me." He put a finger under her chin, raising her head until she was looking at him. "I love you Ginny Weasley, now and always. Nothing is going to change that! I don’t care if you were to tell me right now that you’d been raped by Voldemort himself, I’d still love you!"



To Harry’s complete and utter astonishment, Ginny burst into tears, throwing herself into his arms and sobbing uncontrollably into the front of his robes. After several minutes, during which Harry held her, thoroughly nonplussed, Ginny’s sobs eventually died away, but she still clung to him as if he were a lifeline.



"I – I always feel weird, you know, on Halloween," whispered Ginny finally, her voice barely audible for being muffled against his chest. "That was the first time – the first time that Tom . . .that he took me over."



Confused, Harry continued rubbing her shoulders. Why was she bringing up the Chamber of Secrets now?



"Well, it was the first time I realized that something was wrong anyway. He must have taken me over when I killed the roosters too, but I didn’t think it was too weird, I mean, one minute I was visiting with Hagrid, the next I was back up at the castle a half hour later with feathers all over my robes. I just thought – I thought I must be tired, you know."



Ginny reached into her pocket, pulled out a tissue and blew her nose.



"But that Halloween I was up in my dormitory, getting ready to go down to the Halloween Feast and then it was midnight! Six hours just – gone! Well, that’s when things really started getting weird. It took me the longest time to stop trusting that diary," Ginny whispered. "I didn’t want to think that Tom would do something like – Harry, he was the only real friend I’d ever had!"



"Friend?" said Harry, intrigued in spite of himself, "Ginny, he tried to kill you," and me.



"I didn’t know that then," said Ginny, shaking her head. "I didn’t understand. The only think I understood was that he was kind to me – yes he was!" she insisted, seeing the look on Harry’s face. "At least at first he was. He listened Harry. No one else had time for me. Ron would brush me off and Fred and George, if it isn’t wizzing or banging they loose interest in it in minutes. Well . . ." she shrugged against him and gave him a wry smile. "I was lonely, and he was my friend. Or at least he made me think he was; which to an eleven-year-old-girl amounted to the same thing."



Harry felt a sudden twinge of guilt. Why hadn’t they paid more attention to Ginny that year? True there had been a lot going on, but it wouldn’t have been, not if they taken the time to include her, make her feel wanted – loved. If they had, perhaps none of the events second year would have happened.



Ginny sighed deeply. "It wasn’t until Christmas that I realized that the things he was saying in the diary – that they must have something to do with my big chunks of missing time. That the ideas that had begun to rattle around in my head – the ones that worried me so – that they were really his. Then, when you found it," she shuddered again. "When I saw you had it – I freaked out - I realized by then that I’d been influenced by some sort of Dark Magic, but I was afraid that you’d find out somehow, that I’d be punished, maybe kicked out of school. I had to get the diary back."



Harry shivered slightly, remembering his ransacked belongings. They’d all been repaired easily enough, but for Ginny to actually do something like that, perhaps the diary – or Tom through the diary – had already been influencing her, even before she got her hands on it again.



"I kept missing chunks of time," said Ginny quietly, her voice shaking. "And then, at the end, I knew! He took me over, and I stayed awake and aware. I watched him walk me down to the Chamber, god it was cold in there." She shivered involuntarily.



Harry pulled her closer, trying to share his body heat. She was shaking like a leaf. She was also crying again, the tears silently spilling down her cheeks.



"And then – then he came right out of the diary-"



"His memory," said Harry automatically.



"No," whispered Ginny in a shaking voice, "he was real, Harry. He-he touched me."



"He didn’t have a body," said Harry, frowning. That was right, he remembered it clearly the apparition of Tom Riddle had been fuzzy around the edges; but solid enough to pick up his wand. Voldemort – or the part of Voldemort that had been inside of that diary had been sapping Ginny’s strength, her very substance, using her to become more powerful, more solid. Had he been solid enough to . . . Harry shivered involuntarily. "He touched you?" He looked down, but Ginny had her face buried in his robes again and suddenly it clicked; everything she’d been saying tonight;



I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t . . .if you couldn’t bring yourself to – to want me – after I tell you . . .



"He did more than touch you Ginny, didn’t he," said Harry quietly.



He’d realized the first time they made love that Ginny wasn’t a virgin, or at least not technically a virgin. It had crossed his mind to wonder who had been the first . . .Michael . . .Dean . . . whoever it was, he envied them. Oh god how he envied them. He had only himself to blame for not getting his act together sooner, he knew that, so whenever it would cross his mind to wonder, he’d tell himself sternly that it didn’t matter; not really. She was with him now, that’s all that mattered. But this . . .! Voldemort . . .



Harry swallowed hard. It wasn’t her fault. It wasn’t something she’d had any control over. Voldemort used her . . .used her like he’d used so many others and it was only because of Hermione’s discovery about the Basilisk traveling through pipes that Harry had thought to look in Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom; that he had found the faucet that really wasn’t a faucet at all; that he had found the Chamber and pure dumb luck that had enabled him to find Ginny at all, not to mention some marvelous maneuvering by Fawks that had allowed him to rescue her.



"Harry?" Ginny’s smooth, cool hand was on his face, wiping away a lone tear that he hadn’t realized was making it’s way down his cheek. "I wanted you to know . . ." she paused and drew in a great, shuddering breath. "I knew the first time we made love that you’d realize that I wasn’t . . .well, I didn’t want you always wondering who it was, getting jealous and all of that. I’ve never . . ." she hesitated, biting her lip, "I’ve never made love to anyone else Harry, ever. You were the first."



Ginny’s eyes in the moonlight were large and luminous and Harry felt his heart ache as he thought of everything she’d gone through . . .because of him . . .because of Voldemort . . .it took him a moment to realize that Ginny was talking again.



"Did you read the book?"



"Book?"



"Yes, the one on Binding Charms?"



"Er . . .yeah, actually, I did," said Harry, surprised by this turn in the conversation.



"Do you remember reading about the First Blood Bond?"



"Yes, but Gin what-"



She held a finger up to his lips, silencing him. "Did you read the bit on how to recognize if the spell has been performed correctly?"



Harry nodded. Of course he remembered. There had been several Binding Charms listed that had also been listed in the book on Blood Magic seeing as that they were binding charms that relied on the blood of the participants in order to be effective. The First Blood Bond was one of these. A translation of an ancient Latin text had been included in The Ties That Bind, and Harry remembered wrinkling his nose in distaste at the archaic speech in which the spell had originally been written.



"It was said of old that the blood of the virgin womb has the power to protect from mortal harm he who is first to spill in it his seed." The text had gone on to explain that when first discovered, this ‘natural protection’ combined with the complex charm known as The First Blood Bond, had the effect of protecting the male against the worst effects of most harmful and mortal curses.



It appeared that one of the main affects of the charm was to cause the woman to act as a sort of lightening rod; absorbing most of the spell into herself, thus leaving the man free to continue whatever it was that he was doing.



It had been dreadfully misused in ancient times with power-hungry men forcing themselves on young women, performing the complicated charm that bound the woman to him, making her a sort of human shield. This abuse was one reason that this particular bit of knowledge had been restricted for centuries. The text went on to say that while the protection extracted by force was powerful, that the same protection willingly given, was counted to be " . . .equal even to that of the Matriarchal Charm in which the mother willingly exchanges her life for the life of her child."



Harry’s forehead furrowed slightly as he tried to remember the end of the chapter in which the signs of a properly cast First Blood Bond could be recognized.



"First there’s the tingling under the skin, but that’s when the spell if first performed. Later it can be verified by-ow!" He pulled his hand out of hers, staring uncomprehendingly at the drop of blood welling up out of his thumb. "Ginny, what . . .?"



"Oh stop being such a baby," she said with the ghost of a smile as she pocketed the pin she’d used and then showed him her own thumb on which a drop of her own blood was gleaming. "You didn’t hear me yelling."



"Well you were expecting it," said Harry defensively. "I wasn’t."



"I bet you weren’t expecting this either," said Ginny softly, and pressed their thumbs together, holding her wand over their hands she murmured "Revelare."



It was as if a many-peatled flower made entirely of bright white light had suddenly unfolded from the spot where their thumbs touched, wrapping around their joined hands to form a net of pure light. And then, from the heart of the flower there rose a single, blood red flame that burned clear and steady above their joined hands.



"Finito," murmured Ginny, and the light died away, leaving them standing in what now seemed to be quite dim starlight. "I was right," she said seriously, staring at where the flame had been just a moment ago. "It worked!"



"Ginny, I-" Harry stared at her, at a loss for words. What had she done? Did she realize what she had done? It was a gift beyond anything Harry had ever received before – unless you counted his mother’s sacrifice; priceless; a gift that could be given once, to one person, and never again. Could Ginny know what it meant, binding herself to him in such a way? Did she understand that this was something that couldn’t be reversed? Did she really love him that much?



"I understand perfectly," whispered Ginny softly. She was standing very close to him now, her body just touching his. "Besides, you already bound yourself to me by saving my life."



"I-"



"It’s your turn to be rescued, Mr. Wizard," Ginny interrupted, smiling again and this time her smile was radiant, lighting her up from the inside. "Let me repay my debt."



"Ginny-"



"No, Harry," said Ginny softly, placing a finger on his lips. "I told you, you’re mine now, and I refuse to give you up without a fight. If that means fighting beside you – or giving you a slight advantage by taking the brunt of a curse meant for you, then so be it."



Harry closed his eyes feeling awed and honored and very slightly sick. He’d promised himself that no one else would get hurt and now Ginny had gone and done this.



"You could be killed, Gin! If I don’t doge it, if someone gets past my guard . . ."



"Then don’t let them," Ginny advised. "Look, Harry, I wasn’t going to tell you at all, but it was the only way to prove to you – and myself - that Dumbledore was right."



"Dumbledore?" said Harry blankly.



"Yeah, right after – after what happened in the Chamber - he told me that regardless of how realistic it felt when Tom took me over, that in all the ways that matter, it wasn’t real. You don’t know how much that meant to me . . . there were times . . .sometimes I still have dreams about it, you know, but then I would remember what Dumbledore had said, and it made me feel better – hopeful." Ginny shivered slightly. "And now I know he was right – and you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there has never been anyone else – not really. This is my gift to you Harry. Now I belong to you as much as you belong to me."



"We belong to each other," Harry whispered. He took Ginny in his arms then and, holding her tightly, feeling the solid realness of her body against his, he felt a surge of emotion so deep, so powerful, that he felt his grip on her tighten reflexively, as if he were afraid that he was going to be washed away. Harry felt a shudder pass through his body, as if the surge of emotion had been transmuted into physical form.



What is it? Harry wondered silently, his eyes closed and his face pressed against the chill silkiness of Ginny’s hair. He wanted her – god yes, there was hardly a moment when he didn’t want her, but this – this went way beyond mere passion and was as far removed from simple lust as it was possible to get. It felt so big – so all-encompassing; so complete that took his breath away.



Harry, I – I think its love, Ginny’s voice was breathless, awed and filled with a wonder that was so strong, Harry felt that he could almost taste it. What else can it be but the physical manifestation of unconditional love?



It was a full minute before Harry realized that Ginny had responded to his silent question, and more than that, she had replied not in words that he could hear, for she had not spoken aloud, but somehow, incredibly, he had heard her response in his mind; felt it in his heart, felt it as even now he could feel the wonder flowing through her as she became aware of what had happened and for tonight, here, and now, it was enough.




Back to index


Chapter 13: UNICURSAL: The Path Unfolds




"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."



~E.M. Forester



 


 


 


CHAPTER THIRTEEN: UNICURSAL: The Path Unfolds



 


 


Harry lay very still, letting the layers of sensation settle into his awareness. The smoothness of the sheets, cool against his bare skin; the silken texture of Ginny’s hair where it lay fanned out across his chest; the hypnotizing sensation of her fingers as they traced lazy circles on his stomach.



It was times like this, with Ginny in his arms and the scent of their love making in the air that he could forget about everything that waited for him. He could forget about Voldemort and the attacks he had instigated on Halloween. He could forget about the increasing frequency of the Dementor attacks in the last few weeks. He could forget about what he was up against.



God, what he wouldn’t give to just stay right here forever!



Ginny’s fingers stopped in mid-circle. Harry could feel her smile against his chest.



"You were thinking something," she said softly, her breath was warm against his chest. "Something about us."



It wasn’t the first time she’d picked up on his thoughts, nor he on hers for that matter. And it didn’t seem to be anything either of them could consciously control. The first time it had happened had been on Halloween, just two weeks ago when they’d been out by the lake . . .or had it?



Thinking back he could have sworn that the first time they’d made love that he’d felt Ginny’s voice inside of his head, calling out his name. It was odd though, because no matter how hard he tried to hear her — no matter how hard he tried to project his own thoughts so that she could hear him, it was only times like this; times when they were together, both of them feeling completely relaxed and contented that one or the other would hear the other’s voice in their minds, or sometimes just receive the impression that the other was thinking something that related to both of them.



"I was wishing that I could stay here — with you — just like this — forever," Harry murmured into her hair.



"Why not?" said Ginny, a mischievous note in her voice.



"You really want McGonagall in here again looking for you?" asked Harry only half joking.



"Of course not. Why do you think I wait until after Jessica goes to sleep to sneak up here?" said Ginny, raising herself on an elbow so that she could look down at him.



"You know, if anyone catches you sneaking up here you could be in big trouble — not that I want you to stop of course," said Harry quickly as Ginny raised an eyebrow at him.



"And that is why I come up as a cat," said Ginny leaning down and kissing him lightly. "I’ve been up here, what, five times in the two weeks since Halloween?"



"Tonight makes six," said Harry promptly.



"Well, there you go. I’ve come up here six times — each time as a cat. No one is going to question a cat going up the boys’ staircase." She reached a hand out and smoothed back his unruly hair, letting her finger linger lightly on his lightning bolt scar. "And since I make a point of being back in my bed before Jessica’s alarm goes off at six . . ." she grinned down at him and shrugged. "But I don’t think you were thinking about staying right here in this bed forever; not really."



"Wasn’t I?" said Harry, not looking at her directly, but past her, at the patterns embroidered into the bed’s hangings.



"You were thinking about us, Mr. Wizard," said Ginny, her voice suddenly serious.



"About us?"



"About us staying together . . ." Ginny hesitated only a moment before she added, " . . .forever."



Harry closed his eyes. He could see it in his mind. He’d seen it in his mind a hundred times; a house; a rambling stone cottage by a river; a stone wall that enclosed not a tangled mess of trees and vines, but a neat garden; the two of them sitting in chairs on a sunlit patio and, in a gnarled apple tree, a finished tree house and the sounds of children’s laughter.



It was beautiful; too beautiful to be real; too beautiful to belong in a life as twisted as his was fated to be. For in his mind’s eye, the idyllic scene inevitably dissolved into a twisted, smoking heap of rubble, a tangled mess of trees and vines; Ginny’s lifeless body draped over a crib that would remain empty forever. In the garden there would always be a half-finished tree house and, hanging over the wreck, the glittering green Dark Mark signaling the end of the dream.



Harry wasn’t aware of the fact that he was crying until he felt Ginny’s lips on his face, kissing away his tears. When he opened his eyes he realized that she’d shifted her position and was now straddling him; leaning over him, her riot of flaming hair enclosing them like a living curtain, her eyes glittering strangely in the scarlet tinted light of her tented hair.



"It doesn’t have to end that way," she whispered, trailing her kisses down his cheeks . . .his neck . . .his chest. "And I know that it can’t be now." She crossed her arms against his chest, leaning down so that she could look him in the eye. "Not only are we both still in school but you, Mr. Wizard, have a job to do." She smiled down at him lazily, seductively. "I was talking about after."



"I’d like nothing more," said Harry seriously. "But you might not want me — after."



"Why in Merlin’s name would you say that?" said Ginny a frown knitting her forehead.



"Well, Dumbledore, he said once that committing Murder rips the soul apart — that’s what enables a witch or wizard to make a Horcrux; tearing their soul apart by committing a murder. Anyway, Dumbledore said that a person can never be completely whole after they’ve done something like that. So if I kill Voldemort . . ." Harry paused, swallowed. "If I kill Voldemort I’ll be a murderer. I won’t be the same person that I was — before."



"I love you, Harry," said Ginny softly. "I love you now. I’ll love you after you’ve sent that son-of a-bitch to hell where he belongs. Nothing can change that Harry, nothing! Besides that, it won’t matter," she said matter-of-factly, shifting her weight against him.


She grinned down at him mischievously as she felt his response to her proximity.



"Of course it will matter," said Harry gruffly.



"No, it won’t," said Ginny confidently. "There’s too much good in you, Harry. Too much good to be ruined by something as necessary as killing a monster like him."



Harry stared at her, wishing with all his heart that he could be as confident about that as she was.



"I’m right and you know I am," said Ginny quietly. It was she who was crying now. Two silent tears had welled up out of her eyes and were tracing their way down the smooth curve of her cheek. "I’m not going to loose you, Harry. I won’t let you go! Murderer or not, I belong to you — and you to me. Can’t you get that through your head?"



Harry shifted his own weight, reaching up to bring her down to his kiss and felt her breath catch in her chest, felt her body melt against his as he ran his fingers along the smooth skin of her back. A moment later he had reversed their positions and was looking down at her; her vivid hair spread across his pillow — just as he’d seen it in his daydreams



"I’ll make you a deal," said Harry, breaking the kiss and wiping Ginny’s tears away with his fingertips. "When this is all sorted out; when Voldemort is dead and it’s all over, if — after everything — you still want me, we’ll have that house by the river Ginny, I swear we will."



"And the tree house?"



"I’ll finish it," said Harry. "I swear to you, I’ll finish it." He weren’t talking about the tree house any more. Or maybe he was. Did it really matter? Weren’t they the same thing? He would finish this. He would finish this. He would come back to her. And, if she would still have him he would rebuild the house on Holly Lane; finish the tree house in the apple tree; pick up the pieces of the dream that had shattered when Voldemort had walked into James and Lily Potter’s home sixteen years ago.



And if she no longer wanted him? If she found that she couldn’t bear the person he had become? Well, he would go back to Goddric’s Hollow alone and he would sit by the river and dream of what might have been. It felt right somehow, even to think about it. Without Ginny, without the love he felt for her, his life would be an empty shell. Even the love he felt for Ron and Hermione — for Sirius, for Dumbledore and Lupin, it couldn’t make up for what he’d found in her arms.



And as he lost himself in Ginny, in the feel of her skin warmth of her heart, he knew that it would all be over soon. One way or another, when it was all finished he would come back to Goddric’s Hollow. With her — to pick up the pieces of the dream, or without her, to where it had all began sixteen years ago and where it would end once and for all.



* * *



"Oh my god!" Hermione’s horrified voice drifted over the top of her morning edition of The Daily Prophet.



Harry, who had just slid onto the bench across from Hermione, feeling exhausted and yet strangely euphoric from his night’s exertions, felt his heart sink. He had thought that it couldn’t get any worse than the eight simultaneous attacks that had occurred on Halloween night (that must have been occurring even as he and Ginny had been down by the lake) but he’d been wrong.



The coordinated attacks had resulted in sixteen deaths, a number that (when Harry had read the Headline of the next morning’s Daily Prophet) had struck a resonant —if rather frightening — chord in his mind. Was it simply a coincidence that on the sixteenth anniversary of the night Voldemort had made his first attempt on Harry’s life sixteen people had been killed?



Hermione kept insisting that it was merely a fluke; that Halloween was a significant time of the year for any witch or wizard and of particular interest to those who practiced the Dark Arts, but somehow Harry didn’t think that this was the case and every time he saw caught sight of Terry Boot, Stuart Ackerly or the Creevey brothers (all of whose parents had been among those killed) Harry’s insides roiled with guilt. And it hadn’t gotten any better.



The week after Halloween there had been two more Werewolf attacks — one on a small boy in Hogsmeade which had occurred in broad daylight (effectively canceling any chance that McGonagall would ever allow any of the Hogwarts students back into Hogsmeade) and the Prophet had reported six more Dementor attacks making it one of the worst weeks in Harry’s life.



He’d started dreading mornings, wondering what would have happened now; who else had been killed, and so now, two Saturdays after the Halloween attacks, Hermione’s words sent a wave of panic crashing over him. Harry would have bolted from the table then and there if it hadn’t been for Ginny’s small, warm hand slipping into his at that precise moment.



Harry shot her a grateful glance, wondering as he did so, how it was that she managed to look so fresh and alert when she’d spent the better part of the night in his bed; doing anything but sleeping.



"What’s happened now?" said Ron around a mouthful of scrambled eggs.



"It — it’s awful!" said Hermione, sounding sick.



"What?" said Dean, leaning across Ron to peer at Hermione’s newspaper. "More werewolves?"



"Who else has been killed?" asked Neville fearfully, his fork falling from his suddenly slack hand.



"No, no, it’s not that!" Hermione spread the newspaper out on the table in front of her, pointing to a long article on the second page. "The mists — they’re dispersing!"



Everyone stared at her.



"Hermione," said Ron slowly, "what are you talking about?"



"Remember all that cold mists that we’ve had all this last year?" said Hermione looking around at them all with wide, frightened eyes.



"Yeah, they ruined my birthday party over the summer," said Dean ruefully. "Mum had everything planned out, we were going to have the whole thing outside, sort of a picnic, but then it got all cold and misty — miserable stuff."



"Exactly," said Hermione. "Uncharacteristic mists in the middle of summer; unusually cold winters; lots of cold, miserable weather all around."



"Yeah, Dumbledore said those mists meant that the Dementors were breeding," said Harry quietly.



"But if the mists are dispersing, that’s good then," said Ron, waving a forkful of egg towards the paper. "Means they’re no longer breeding, right?"



"What it means is that the gestation period is over," said Hermione in a significant tone.



Harry looked around at the others. Ron and Dean were staring at Hermione with rather blank expressions while Neville looked rather green.



"But juvenile Dementors . . ." Neville’s voice trailed away. He cast Hermione a stricken look, gulped, then said, "they get really, really hungry."



"They’re insatiable," said Hermione in a hushed voice.



Harry felt as if a fist were squeezing his heart. "Does this mean there will be more Dementor attacks?" he asked shakily.



"Not yet," said Hermione with a grimace. "Or no more than we’ve had so far, at least not the kind where people’s souls are in danger."



"But I thought — if that’s what they feed on . . ." Dean looked from Hermione to Neville and back again, a confused expression on his face.



"Adult Dementors will suck the soul out of someone if they have the chance," said Hermione heavily. "But juvenile Dementors simply suck all the hope and happiness out of everything."



"I thought that’s what regular Dementors did?" said Ginny, frowning slightly.



"Adult Dementors suck the hope and happiness out of people," explained Hermione patiently. "Juvenile Dementors suck the hope and happiness out of everything."



"What, like rocks and stuff?" said Ron with a small disbelieving laugh.



"Not just rocks, Ron, everything!" said Hermione, her voice now sounding slightly frustrated. "Rocks, earth, air, plants, animals — everything!"



"How can you suck the happiness out of a rock?" said Ron, who was now scowling at his cold eggs.



"The last record of juvenile Dementors on the loose saw extremes in weather unlike anything ever recorded before," said Hermione, her voice now shaking slightly. "Unexplainable storms, floods . . ."



"The ground looses hope and nothing can grow," said Neville in a slightly dazed voice. "Droughts, plagues . . .most of the plants that are now considered to be rare were very nearly lost the last time there were juvenile Dementors on the loose.



"And wars," said Hermione, her voice barely audible. "They love wars — all Dementors do, but the young Dementors are particularly good at causing the sorts of arguments and misunderstandings that have resulted in some of the worst wars in history. And that’s not the worst of it," said Hermione gravely. She was pushing the last bits of her breakfast around her plate with a fork.



"What can be worse than a pack of Dementors swarming around starting wars and sucking out hope and happiness and people’s souls?" wondered Dean, who seemed to have lost interest in his own food.



"A pack of Juvenile Dementors that grow up to be adult Dementors with the same appetites as their parents," said Hermione.



"Damn," said Ron, very quietly.



Harry felt Ginny press against his side. She was shivering. He wrapped his arm around her, drawing her closer.



"Is there any way to stop them?" Ginny whispered. "Is there any way to kill a Dementor?" Her voice sounded very small and young and Harry found his arm tightening around her protectively.



Hermione made a helpless gesture with her fork and Harry heard himself answering without being aware that he had planned on doing so.



"I’ve never heard of a Dementor being destroyed," he said quietly. "They can be driven off; kept at bay; but I don’t think that Dementors are alive; not like we think of things being alive."



"But what’s to keep them from just continuing to multiply?" said Dean, sounding angry. "I mean, without Ministry control, what’s to keep them from just — oh, I don’t know — taking over the planet or something?"



"They were never under Ministry control," said Hermione grimly. "Not really. I mean, how do you control something like a Dementor? I think there’s more to it than that. I think that all this fear is encouraging them to — oh, I don’t know - take a more active role I guess."



"That doesn’t make any sense Hermione," said Ron who was still scowling. "Dementors feed on hope and happiness — they drain people of all their good feelings, but why are they breeding now?"



"Because they can?" said Hermione tartly. "Perhaps there was some sort of restraint put in place on their breeding capabilities while they were working for the Ministry."



"Maybe happiness isn’t the only thing they find appetizing," said Harry quietly. Everyone turned to look at him. "Think about it. They feed on hope and happiness, yes, but perhaps they also draw energy - not nourishment, but energy — from fear. That would explain why they’re suddenly so very active."



"So the more fear they generate by floating around and terrorizing people, the more energy there is available to them," said Hermione, nodding now. "Perhaps it takes a certain fear threshold for them to become active enough to be able to breed."



"And Voldemort is certainly providing that," said Harry darkly, ignoring the various shudders and squeaks that greeted his use of the name.



"So if we can get rid of You-Know-Who then maybe the fear level would drop below whatever threshold it is that’s encouraging them to breed?" said Dean slowly.



Ron and Hermione both shot Harry significant looks and Ginny’s grip on his hand tightened perceptibly.



"Yeah," said Harry, fighting to speak normally around the egg-sized lump that had suddenly formed in the back of his throat. "I think that just about sums it up, Dean."



Dean’s succinct assessment of the situation might as well have been a jabbing finger of accusation as far as Harry was concerned. It didn’t matter what he did, for the next few days he kept hearing Dean’s words in his head:



"So if we can get rid of You-Know-Who then maybe the fear level would drop below whatever threshold it is that’s encouraging them to breed?"



Dean was right; more right than he could possibly know, for getting rid of Voldemort was not only the solution to the problem with the Dementors but was, Harry knew, inevitably wrapped up with his own future. Just because he was safely ensconced at Hogwarts didn’t mean that the problems had gone away. They were there, waiting for him. Voldemort was waiting for him; biding his time; waiting for the perfect moment to strike. He knew, deep down, that it was time to get on with his search. If only he knew where to start looking!



* * *



 


"Harry, mate, what’s this?"



Ron’s muffled voice was coming from somewhere under Harry’s bed.



"What are you doing under there?" asked Harry, lifting the edge of his comforter and peering beneath his bed. Ron’s large, lanky frame could just be made out in the gloom. He was poking about in the assorted items Harry had stashed beneath his bed as if searching for something.



"Looking for . . .something . . ." muttered Ron, emerging a moment later with lint all over the front of his robes and a large cardboard carton in his hands.



"You find it then?" said Harry, glancing at the box.



"No. I — I was looking for the present I bought Hermione for Christmas," Ron said, his voice so low that Harry could barely hear him and his ears a brilliant pink. "I thought I might have dropped it, you know." He shrugged helplessly.



"Ron," said Harry slowly, a grin creeping onto his face. "It’s only the middle of November and you’ve already got Hermione a Christmas present?"



"It’s not much," said Ron, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. "I — I ordered it just after Halloween by owl post."



"It looks a good size to me," said Harry, gesturing to the box in Ron’s hands.



"This isn’t it — I, this was wedged under your bed — up at the top behind the post. I thought you might have forgotten about — whatever it is. See? It’s covered in dust."



Harry stared at the box. "I don’t remember . . ." he said slowly then hesitated. He did remember. "Damn, that’s the box of stuff Dumbledore left for me! I — I forgot all about it!"



Professor McGonagall had given him that box in her office. She’d said that it contained the items that Professor Dumbledore had left for Harry in his will. He had accepted the box but had stowed it under his bed not wanting to think about Dumbledore right then and there. Well, it had worked. He hadn’t thought about the box at all since he’d received it.



"Dumbledore left you something?" said Ron sounding amazed.



"In his will; Professor McGonagall told me ages ago, but I — I didn’t want to think about it right then and then I — I forgot!"



"Blimey, Harry! It could be anything!" said Ron, his eyes glowing with curiosity. "You going to open it?"



"I — I suppose so," said Harry reluctantly. He didn’t want to admit it to Ron but he was afraid, desperately afraid of what he would find in that box; of the memories that would be dredged up when he saw whatever was inside of it."



"Harry, if you’d rather open it alone I — well, I’d understand," said Ron awkwardly, his ears now a brilliant scarlet. "I mean, if you’d rather I left-"



"No, stay!" said Harry a bit more forcefully than was necessary. "Please?" he amended. "I mean, if you don’t mind. I . . ." he gave Ron a sheepish sort of grin, "I would like to see what’s in it, but like you said, it could be anything."



"Wish Hermione was here," said Ron, brushing off his robes and plopping himself on the end of Harry’s bed.



"I just bet you do," said Harry with a smirk. Ron went scarlet. "But she’s in Runes, Ron, you know. Then we’ve got Charms and then lunch. If we don’t open it now we might not get a chance to until after supper." Harry tugged at the lid, quite as anxious as Ron now to see what was inside. The lid, however, wasn’t cooperating.



"Did McGonagall charm it shut?" Ron wondered, squinting at the lid.



"Must have," said Harry, shrugging and taking out his wand. "Alohamora," he said firmly, pointing his wand at the box. Nothing happened.



"Now what?" said Ron, his eyes fixed on the carton.



"Dunno," said Harry, poking at the lid with his wand.



"A password maybe?" came Ginny’s voice in his ear.



"Makes sense, said Harry, nodding. "The last password to Dumbledore’s office," he muttered and waved his wand over the lid’s box. "Sugar Quill."



"Harry, who were you talking to. . .awesome!" breathed Ron as Harry removed a layer of foam padding, revealing the contents underneath.



In a shallow wooden box, three of Dumbledore’s silvery machines sat, docile and uncharacteristically quiet; their highly polished sliver surfaces gleaming brightly in the sunlight streaming through the dorm windows.



"But — what are they?" Ron said wonderingly, reaching out a finger to touch one of the machines. It gave a squeaking purr and shivered slightly in its box. Ron withdrew his finger quickly. "What do they do?"



"No idea," said Harry, removing one of the machines from its niche. Beneath it lay a small scrap of parchment. On it, written in the slanted, loopy handwriting that Harry knew so well were a series of detailed instructions.



"It doesn’t say what they are, or what they’re for, just how to work them," said Harry, frowning at the directions.



"You gonna try them now?" asked Ron, looking excited.



"Better not, not just yet, anyway," said Harry, glancing at his wristwatch. "We should wait until we have more time — and a place where we can try them out without anyone walking in."



"Yeah, I guess you’re right." Ron sighed and poked at the wrappings. "What else is in there?"



Harry removed the tray, which held the three small machines and laid it carefully aside. Beneath it, and appearing to take up the remainder of the box, were four wooden boxes each about a foot square.



"What’s in them then?" asked Ron, reaching in to remove a box, which proved unsuccessful as the boxes were packed in so tightly that there wasn’t enough space between them to give his fingers leverage.



"Ron," said Harry, laughing as Ron sucked on his still-sore fingertips. "It’s a cardboard carton, there’s easier ways to get them out" He tapped his wand on the side of the box. "Evolvere" as if it were the skin of a fruit, the sides of the cardboard carton peeled themselves down, laying flat to expose the four boxes packed inside; or five rather, for when the cardboard had peeled away, the four smaller boxes was another, larger box on which the four smaller boxes were resting.



"Wish I could remember spells like that," said Ron, scowling slightly and picking up the box closest to him. "Here, Harry, open this one first."



The box Ron handed him was very heavy and covered with intricate carvings. Harry let his fingers trace the carvings feeling as he did so an odd, tingling sensation, not entirely unlike that which he had felt when he had been handling the Horcrux. But there was no foreboding in the feeling, simply an aura of possibility, a distinct impression of great age and an undercurrent of raw power.



"It looks really old," said Ron, his voice seemed to be coming from the far end of a tunnel.



"It is old," said Harry softly. He opened his eyes, this time looking more closely at the lid. There, engraved in the very center was something that looked very much like-



"Is that a phoenix?" said Ron, squinting at the figure beneath Harry’s hand.



Harry didn’t answer, but merely lifted the lid of the box, expecting something relatively impressive, given the weight of the box. Instead he found half a dozen long scarlet and gold feathers. Fawkes.



"Phoenix feathers?" said Ron incredulously, lifting one of the feathers from the box and holding it up to the light. He peered into the box, his forehead furrowed. "Is that it then?"



"Looks like it," said Harry. He removed the rest of the feathers and felt around the bottom of the box. There was nothing else there.



"Why is it so heavy then, if all that’s in it were feathers?" wondered Ron, scowling at the feathers in Harry’s hand.



"It must be the box," mussed Harry out loud. He handed the feathers to Ron and picked up the box. "Damn!"



"What?"



"Feel it, the box," said Harry, handing the box to Ron, who laid the feathers on the bed.



"No way!" said Ron, looking startled. "It’s tons lighter now! There’s no way that the phoenix feathers could possibly weigh that much!"



Harry picked up the feathers, placed them in the box and Ron staggered under the suddenly increased weight. Harry took the box from Ron, weighing it carefully before he put it on his bed.



"How can two items that separately weigh so little weigh so much together?" he wondered.



"Ask Hermione," said Ron with a grimace. "She knows everything, Hermione does."



Harry shot Ron a sharp look. His tone had seemed a little resentful.



"You all right mate?" he asked carefully. He had sworn when Ron and Hermione got together that he wouldn’t interfere, but he and Ron were still friends, he couldn’t let something like that pass.



"What? Oh yeah," said Ron with a shrug. "I’m fine."



"I meant — between you and Hermione," said Harry carefully, shifting his gaze from Ron back to the box on the bed. Ron remained silent for a full minute before answering.



"I love her, Harry, you know that, right?"



"Sort of figured that bit," said Harry, grinning.



"It’s just that . . .she’s so smart Harry."



"You’re just now figuring that out?"



"Well no, of course not, but it’s scary sometimes, you know?" Ron paused, letting his fingers trace the carving on the top of the box before he drew a great breath and added, "and there’s times when she makes me feel downright stupid. She doesn’t mean to, I know she doesn’t, but I feel stupid and it makes me wonder why — why she loves me. I mean . . ." he held his hands up in an empty gesture. "Who am I, Harry? What have I ever done to make her love me? I’m nobody!"



"Don’t give me that!" snapped Harry, rounding on Ron with a fierceness that surprised even himself. "You can’t deserve love, Ron, it doesn’t work that way! Love just is. You find it, you hold on to it — with both hands — because you can’t guarantee that it will ever come around again!"



He had Ron by the shoulders now and was shaking him slightly as if he could shake the truth into him.



"You so much as think of doing something stupid — like giving her up because you think she deserves better than you — than I’ll personally hunt you down and hex you into the next millennium," said Harry threateningly. "She loves you, Ron. You love her. That’s enough."



"All right, all right!" said Ron, grinning. He picked up the second box and tossed it at Harry. "Guess you learned your lesson, trying to break up with my sister for her own good, didn’t you?" This box was completely devoid of any carvings, just a simple pine square with a lid.



"Yeah, I guess I did," said Harry with a grin as he caught the box neatly and flipped open the lid.



"You know," said Ron, who had leaned across the bed to look into the box. "The man was either a total genius or he was completely mad."



Harry had to admit that looking into the second box he was half tempted towards the latter assessment. The pine box was filled to the brim with what appeared to be lemon drops.



"You know," said Harry, more to himself than to Ron. "It’s a pity that Dumbledore never really got to know Luna, I think they would have had a lot in common."



"Hey, at least he didn’t make necklaces out of them," Ron pointed out as Harry closed the lid and put the second box aside.



The third box was of a rich mahogany inlaid with a pattern of leaves that appeared to be made out of ivory. This box too gave off an aura of great age, but the undercurrent here was not of power, but of ancient memories and things long forgotten; glimpses of scenes of breathtaking beauty and scraps of songs not heard in millennia flooded his brain causing him to reel slightly.



"Harry?" Ron’s voice was dim and distant, trickling down from the meaningless now.



Harry wrenched himself back to the present, shaking his head as if to clear it of cobwebs.



"Sorry . . .what did you say?"



"What is it?" asked Ron, sounding frightened. "What did you feel Harry? You went all blank and sounded as if you were listening to something I couldn’t hear."



"Yeah. It’s really old, this box," said Harry. "And really . . .sad."



"Sad?" said Ron, picking up the box and turning it over in his hands. "How can a box be sad?"



"I don’t know," said Harry through gritted teeth. He was feeling a bit frustrated that he couldn’t explain it better, or at Ron’s infernal pig-headedness, he couldn’t decide which.



"He couldn’t feel the Horcrux either," Ginny’s voice in his ear reminded him. "Neither could Hermione. Don’t blame them, they’re just not as . . ."



"Just not as sensitive to feeling where magic has been done," Harry muttered, nodding in agreement. She was right. He couldn’t blame Ron and Hermione for not being able to feel what he felt.



"Harry, who are you talking to?" Ron asked, but Harry headed him off.



"Sorry mate, I didn’t mean to snap. But it’s just — I can feel it so distinctly and when you can’t, I get frustrated."



"Feel what?" said Ron distractedly.



"The tingling feeling that comes from things that have been touched by magic," said Harry, running his fingers lightly over the box. "I can feel it — I guess I always have been able to, I just didn’t understand what it was . . .not until Dumbledore explained it to me."


"You can feel magic?" said Ron, nonplussed.



"It’s sort of like the memory of magic," said Harry, shrugging. "You know, when powerful magic has been done in a certain area — or around a certain thing, it sort of holds onto the feeling."



"Sort of like a ghost?" asked Ron, looking puzzled.



"Yeah, that’s it," said Harry, grinning in relief. "It’s almost like walking through a ghost. You might not be able to see it, but you know it’s there from the icy feeling that you get."



"But you said it tingled," said Ron blankly.



"Never mind," said Harry, "Just trust me, all right?" He lifted the lid of the box. There, nestled on a lining of richly red velvet was a thick roll of parchment tied with a scarlet and gold ribbon. Harry was on the verge of opening the roll when Ron nodded pointedly at Harry’s watch. Five minutes before the end of this period. The others would be back soon.



Harry put the scroll back in the box and laid the box aside, picking up the last of the four small boxes. This one was just old, very old. So old Harry could feel the weight of it weighing on his mind like a living thing.



He opened the lid carefully, revealing a book with a warped leather cover and pages so brittle he was afraid that they might crumble at his touch. There was no inscription on the cover. Harry opened it carefully and glanced at the first page. It was a journal, and it appeared to have been written in the same sort of English as the pages that he had found inside of Wormtail’s spell book in the gardener’s cottage.



"Wicked!" said Ron, touching the leather cover with something very like reverence. "How old do you think this thing is?"



"Dunno," said Harry, carefully replacing the book in its box. "One more to go, bet I know what this one is!" said Harry as he lifted the list of the box on which the other four had been resting.



"Is that what I think it is?" said Ron, staring at the basin in awe.



He was right. It was the Pensieve. Harry recognized it at once from the symbols around the rim.



"It’s empty," said Ron, nodding at the stone basin. "You said that Dumbledore put memories he’d collected in it."



"He kept them in little crystal vials," said Harry, frowning at the Pensieve.



"No vials here," said Ron, lifting the basin and looking beneath it. "But there’s probably something in wizarding law that says that when a wizard dies his memories have to be destroyed or something," said Ron, frowning.



"Yeah, but they weren’t just his memories," said Harry, feeling his stomach sink perceptibly. "A bunch of the ones he showed me were from other wizards — their memories of Voldemort. You’d think they’d have at least kept those."



Both of them stared into the empty basin for a long time. It was the bell signaling the end of classes that startled them out of the reverie and spurred them to quickly pack the boxes into Harry’s trunk for safekeeping.



* * *



"Well, it’s not as if you can’t use the Pensieve without the memories," said Hermione thoughtfully that night after supper. "I’m sure I’ve read the spell. I think it was in the standard book of spells, grade six."



"I don’t remember learning that one," said Harry, frowning as he stretched his legs out towards the fire.



They had all claimed their favorite spots by the fire. The common room had emptied early that night. Whether it was due to the sudden urge of the rest of the Gryffindors to suddenly get a full night’s sleep, or the lingering after effects of the dozen dung-bombs Ginny had let off an hour ago, Harry could only guess, although he had a shrewd idea. The smell had been horrendous, but had been easily countered by a clever air-freshening charm Hermione admitted to having read in Lavender’s copy of Witch Weekly.



"You wouldn’t, would you?" said Hermione, smiling slightly. "We went over that one right after you and Ginny got together last year."



"Oh yeah, right," said Harry, fighting to keep from blushing. "I guess I would have been a bit . . .er . . .distracted."



"You’ve got that right," said Ginny, stretching out on the sofa beside Harry and laying her head in his lap. "I don’t remember half of what we learned at the end of last year — good thing they delayed the tests."



"That’s right, you never did take your O.W.L.’s, did you?" said Harry who was tracing the pattern of the freckles scattered across the bridge of Ginny’s nose.



"For your information, Potter," said Ginny, in a perfect imitation of Professor McGonagall, "Miss Weasley took her tests on the first of August and passed with flying colors!"



"Really? How’d you manage that?"



"What, taking my tests or passing with flying colors?" said Ginny, her eyebrows arched questioningly.



"Taking your tests," said Harry, just as Ron said "Managing to pass at all of course."



"Just because you managed to only get seven O.W.L.’s," said Ginny loftily, "doesn’t necessarily mean-"



"I think he did brilliantly," said Hermione. "Better than Fred and George at any rate."



Ron, who was sitting on the floor, his back against her legs, tipped his head back so as to see Hermione’s face and so missed the gagging gesture Ginny made as Hermione leaned down and kissed the tip of his nose. A moment later it seemed that Ron and Hermione had forgotten all about Harry and Ginny’s being present as Ron kissed her back enthusiastically.



"McGonagall sent us a letter with the testing date," said Ginny, acting as though Hermione had never spoken. "The tests were given at Hogwarts of course. Floo transportation was provided for all of those scheduled to take their O.W.L.’s or N.E.W.T.’s."



"So, how’d you do?" said Harry, wrapping a strand of her silky red hair around his finger and tugging on it gently.



"Eight O.W.L.’s," said Ginny airily, extracting her hair and tucking it behind her ear. "Two ‘Outstandings.’ One in Defense Against the Dark Arts."



"Big surprise," muttered Harry, grinning as he remembered some of the spectacular jinxes Ginny had pulled off during the D.A. classes.



"And another in Transfiguration," said Ginny, shrugging against the sofa pillows.



"Which took me by surprise," said Ron, tearing himself away from Hermione long enough to give Ginny a grin of brotherly pride, "but which now makes perfect sense, seeing as that she’s an Animagus and all."



"Shh, Ron!" said Hermione quickly, looking around to make certain that they really were alone. "That’s not something you need to be spreading around."



"There’s nobody here, Hermione," said Ron wearily. "I’ve already checked twice — and Harry’s used Muffliato, so no one could hear even if they were around!"



"I know, it’s just . . ." Hermione gestured helplessly. "It’s not like discussing what Dumbledore’s left Harry or how to use it — I mean, what Ginny’s doing is illegal!"



"So is keeping people locked up who haven’t been given a trial," said Harry darkly.



He’d read it in Hermione’s copy of the Daily Prophet just that morning. Stan Shunpike’s parents had filed a protest with the Ministry of Magic and had been rebuffed. The Ministry had told them that Stan’s incarceration was a matter of "Ministry security" and that they would be contacted when the Ministry had more information on Stan’s case.



"But you can teach me how the Pensieve works," said Harry, steering the conversation back towards the original topic.



"Of course I can," said Hermione dismisively. "But Harry, remember what Dumbledore said?"



"Which bit?" said Harry tiredly.



"About Slughorn’s memory — the memory about the Horcruxes — about it being the most important memory he had collected."



Harry nodded.



"Harry, I think that the Pensieve has done you all the good it can do."



"What are you on about?" said Harry scowling. "You said that you could show me how it works."



"Well yes, of course, but I don’t think you really need it any more."



"Er . . .Hermione, if the Pensieve’s no good, why’d he leave it to me then?" said Harry blankly.



"I didn’t say it would work Harry, I said that I think it’s worn out its usefulness."



"Er . . .Hermione . . .?"



"Look, Harry, the Pensieve helped you and Dumbledore to make the connection between Voldemort and the Horcruxes. It showed you that there are very likely seven of them. It even helped to make the connection between Voldemort’s past, where he collected things from people he’d terrorized as sort of trophies and the idea of his using the objects of power as his Horcruxes. All of that’s fine and good."



"We know what Voldemort did. He split his soul into seven pieces, storing six of them in special objects, turning them into Horcruxes, which he then parceled out for safekeeping. We know that he was obsessed with the objects of power and that he acquired at least two of them, possibly all four. We know that three are now destroyed, leaving three that we need to find and put out of commission before you can even think about going after Voldemort himself. But I don’t think the Pensieve is going to play a part in your actually finding the other Horcruxes. It got you this far. Now it’s up to you."



"Up to me?" said Harry with a harsh laugh. "What am I supposed to do, Hermione, start pulling cards out of a deck like Trelawney? Oh look, it’s the lightning struck tower," said Harry in a passable imitation of Trelawney’s airy-fairy voice.



"Well, she was right, wasn’t she?" said Ron. "The lightning struck tower represents death and chaos and destruction, and Dumbledore’s getting himself killed filled the bill for all three."



"Dumbledore didn’t get himself killed," said Harry darkly. "Snape killed him. I was there, remember?"



"But he was on a tower," said Ginny mussingly.



"Yeah well, Trelawney goes on about a lot of things. Once when I was on my way to a lesson with Dumbledore I heard her going on about the cards she was drawing, and they didn’t have anything to do with a lightning struck tower. She pulled the two of spades-


"



"Conflict," said Ron, nodding."



"And then the seven of spades."



"An ill omen," said Ron automatically. "So what came next Harry, the ten of spades?"



"How did you know?"



"They’re all part of s suit," said Ron with a shrug. "Lavender was big into cardmancy. The first card tells what’s happening, followed by what is to come — that would be an ill omen, and then the ten of spades is the result, in this case violence, the final card in the draw is supposed to tell who or what is the cause of the problem."



"The Knave of spades," muttered Harry.



"A dark young man, possibly troubled, one who dislikes the questioner," said Ron with a grimace. "Do you think she was talking about you?"



"She could have been talking about anyone," said Ginny sharply. "Tom Riddle for instance. He was a dark young man — very troubled and he definitely didn’t like Dumbledore questioning him about anything."



"It’s all rubbish," said Hermione dismisively. "McGonagall herself says that divination is a very imprecise branch of magic."



"And yet there really are prophecies," Harry reminded her. "You saw them yourself, stored in those globes in the hall of prophecy."



"And most of them had never been released," said Hermione reasonably. "I mean, come on Harry, if someone never hears a prophecy about themselves, about what is supposed to happen to them, they’ll never know the difference, will they? They’re going to go on making decisions just like they would have if they never knew, won’t they? What’s to keep them from making a decision that cancels the prophecy out altogether? It would only apply if the person its about hears it and says, oh well then, I’m fated to kill the Dark Lord, and then goes out and gets himself killed doing something he normally wouldn’t have done."



"Like searching out the person who killed his parents and his godfather and his headmaster?" said Harry acidly.



Hermione looked stricken, but determined. "The point I’m trying to make Harry, is that Voldemort had never heard about the prophecy he wouldn’t have come hunting your family in order to destroy the boy that the prophecy had said would be his downfall, would he have? I mean, he might have killed them anyway, they’d already escaped him three times after all, but it wouldn’t have been for the same reason."



Harry groaned and put his head in his hands. His head was aching fit to burst.



"I think," said Ginny slowly, "that what Hermione is trying to say is that maybe prophecies are only accurate if they are heard by the people to whom they apply. That hearing a prophecy about themselves probably causes the person to act out of character, fulfilling the terms of the prophecy because they think they don’t have a choice."



"Maybe that’s why they were kept in the Department of Mysteries," Ron suggested. "So that people wouldn’t just stumble onto them and change the course of history."



"Or maybe so they could," said Ginny quietly.



"So you’re saying that the prophecy that Trelawney made about me is self-fulfilling?" asked Harry. "That because I know about it I’m going to do something that will bring it about? But what if I refused to believe it? Could I choose to ignore it, to just walk away from the whole thing — right now?"



"Well," said Hermione slowly. "Hearing the prophecy certainly made Voldemort react in a specific sort of way. I mean, would he have known who to go after if he hadn’t heard the prophecy?"



"He’d gone after them already," Harry pointed out. "Three times to be exact. Neville’s parents too. Chances were he’d have gone after them again."



"And you could walk away," said Hermione as if she hadn’t heard Harry’s response. "You could turn your back on the whole lot — give up magic and go live as a Muggle. Only problem is, Voldemort is convinced that you’re the key to his gaining unlimited power and glory and he’d hunt you down. He’d find you eventually, no matter where you went."



"So you’re saying I have no choice," said Harry shortly. "You’re saying that because Trelawney made a stupid prophecy that I-"



"All I’m saying is that the prophecy was about you and Voldemort. He heard part of it — and acted accordingly, bringing you into it whether you like it or not.



"Then you’re saying I have no choice," said Harry flatly.



"You always have a choice," said Ginny softly.



Her words brought Harry up short and remembered then what Dumbledore had said in his office what seemed a lifetime ago. Harry had just shared with him Slughorn’s restored memory. They’d been talking about the prophecy, about what Voldemort would have chosen to turn into a Horcrux. Dumbledore had explained that because Lord Voldemort set such store by the prophecy that he would continue to hunt Harry, making it certain that one of them would have to kill the other in the end.



He, Voldemort, had chosen to believe the prophecy. He had chosen to act on it in a way that had changed Harry’s life forever. He had, in effect, taken away Harry’s freedom to choose whether or not to believe the prophecy for himself. He had, for all intents and purposes, robbed Harry not only of his parents love, of a normal home life, of his friend, his godfather and his Headmaster, he had robbed him of his chance to ever live a normal life.



"Well, I’ve made my choice," said Harry quietly, and all three turned to look at him. "I’m going to finish this. I’m done reading about how to destroy Horcruxes," he said, giving Hermione a lopsided grin. "I’ll just have to trust that when I find the next one you’ll be able to tell me how to disarm it."



Hermione nodded, looking scared. Ron took her hand before saying. "We’ll all look Harry. We’ll help you find it. But where should we start looking?"



Harry opened his mouth, he had been about to suggest that they start in the Unknowable Room where he’d hidden his Potions book and Malfoy had stowed the Vanishing Cabinet, but it was Ginny who spoke.



"We’ll start by looking in Snape’s office," she said, an odd, unfocused sort of smile spreading across her face.



"Snape’s office?" said Ron, sounding startled.



"Yes, I think so," said Ginny quietly. "I remember being there once before . . .I was looking . . .looking for something . . .I can’t remember what exactly. It is all rather hazy now. But I know he had me looking in Snape’s office."



"Tom had you looking for the Horcrux didn’t he?" said Harry, suddenly excited. "When he possessed you he sent you looking for it, and later, when he sent Barty Crouch Jr. to Hogwarts, he had him looking for it too! Remember, I saw him flitting around Snape’s office — he wasn’t just looking for Potions ingredients!"



Harry looked around at the others excitedly. That was it! He knew where to start looking now. The search was on.



 



Back to index


Chapter 14: THE PORTAL








"Action will remove the doubt that theory cannot solve."


~Tehyi Hsieh


 


 


CHAPTER FOURTEEN: THE PORTAL


Harry rapped three times with the brass knocker shaped to look like a griffin (or was it a griffin shaped to look like a brass knocker?)


"Come in."


Professor McGonagall was sitting behind the desk and appeared to be marking through a stack of essays. Harry shuddered, remembering the night he’d spent marking up first years’ essays. She looked up as Harry entered, a rare smile playing around the corners of her mouth.


"Good morning Mr. Potter, up and about early aren’t you?"


"I suppose so, for a Sunday," said Harry with a shrug.


"First Quidditch game of the season next Saturday Mr. Potter. Are you ready for it then?"


"As ready as I’ll ever be, though Ron seems to think we’re in need of a lot more practice."


"Yes, yes." McGonagall shifted some of the papers on her desk and withdrew a sheet of parchment and squinted down at it. "He’s booked the pitch for Gryffindor for Monday Wednesday and Friday evenings of this week."


"I’m surprised he didn’t book the whole week," said Harry grimly.


"He would have if Ravenclaw hadn’t clamored for Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday," said McGonagall. "But you didn’t come up here at the crack of dawn to talk Quidditch Mr. Potter. Are you after more books? Or do you have a question?"


"A – a question. Or more like an update."


"An update?" said McGonagall, looking sharply at him over her glasses.


"Yes Professor. I need to search Snape’s office."


"It’s been searched," said McGonagall, leaning back in her chair and observing Harry critically. "It’s been searched by the Ministry’s Aurors and by members of the Order. Even Alastor Moody couldn’t find anything illegal or out of place."


"Professor, what I’m looking for would not be discernable to just anyone."


"Alastor Moody is hardly just anyone Harry."


"Professor, I’m not asking for your permission," said Harry carefully. "When I spoke to you about coming back to Hogwarts you said that I would be able to search for the Horcrux, that you would not interfere. I’m telling you now that I need to search Snape’s office. I just wanted you to know so that if someone reports anything unusual you won’t become too concerned."


"Define ‘anything unusual’," said Professor McGonagall, her eyes narrowing in suspicion."


"To be honest Professor, I have no idea what to expect," said Harry honestly.


Professor McGonagall watched him closely for nearly a whole minute before she spoke. "And you’ll be searching his office today?"


Harry nodded slowly.


McGonagall sighed. "All right then. I’ll give Mr. Filch an assignment in another part of the castle; something to keep him busy."


"Thank you Professor," said Harry. He turned to leave but stopped, his hand on the door. "One more thing Professor. I’m going to need help with what I’m doing. I’ve asked Ron, Hermione and Ginny to help me."


"I wouldn’t expect anything less," said Professor McGonagall with a slight smile. "But Mr. Potter, please keep in mind that it is the duty of the Head Boy and Head Girl to check in with all the House Prefects after curfew and Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger will need to be finished in time to perform their duties."


"Good thing she doesn’t know what her precious Head Boy and Girl get up to on their rounds!" came Ginny’s voice in Harry’s ear.


Harry repressed a smile with some difficulty, wondering as he did so what McGonagall would have thought if it had been she who had descended the stone staircase to the kitchens two nights ago instead of himself and Ginny.


They’d been on their way to the kitchen for a late night snack (using the highly useful invisibility cloak) – something they had indulged in twice before with rousing success, when they’d ducked into a side passage to avoid Peeves (who for some perverse reason had decided to take up a round of tennis just ahead of them), and found themselves in an alcove where Ron and Hermione were engaged in a particularly vigorous snogging session.


Harry had been witness to enough of Ron’s vertical wrestling matches with Lavender. Those had seemed (at least to Harry) to be acts of desperation on both of their parts; partially disgusting and a little sad. This had been something entirely different.


For starters, from the looks of it (and much to Harry’s amazement, given Hermione’s usual hand’s off behavior during school hours and if you took into account the fact that Hermione’s fists were full of Ron’s robes and that Ron seemed to be pinned against the wall by her) it would have appeared that it had been Hermione who had instigated the kiss.


"Damn Hermione," Ron had said, breaking the kiss at last. He appeared to be panting slightly. "I thought you said this sort of thing wasn’t proper behavior when we’re on rounds?"


"And since when do you ever listen to what I have to say?" said Hermione, a wicked grin stealing over her face as she slid the robes off Ron’s shoulders, leaving them to puddle on the alcove floor.


Harry and Ginny had at this point quickly backed out of the alcove, choosing to take their chances with Peeves than to witness anything further, but Harry had been impressed nonetheless. It had been a real eye-opener to see Hermione in action. And, given the fact that Ron hadn’t made it back to the dorm until nearly two in the morning, Harry was fairly certain that the pair of them had done a bit more than some heavy snogging in that alcove.


"Are you making light of the responsibilities of the Head Boy and Girl?" Professor McGonagall’s sharp tone brought Harry back to the present with a snap and he realized with Chagrin that he was grinning from ear to ear.


"No Professor, of course not," said Harry quickly. "I won’t ask Ron or Hermione to do anything that will interfere with their Prefect duties."


"Hmm." Professor McGonagall’s eyebrows contracted into a rather hawk-like line. "Very well Mr. Potter, off with you then."


Ten minutes later Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were all standing together in the corridor outside of Snape’s Dungeon office.


"Alohamora." Hermione’s spell popped open the thick oak slab of a door with a sharp snap.


"Wands out then?" said Ginny, withdrawing her own wand with a hand that was shaking slightly.


"Keep an eye out for anything unusual," said Harry, holding up his own wand so that the light from its tip spilled through the doorway into Snape’s office. "And remember, we’re not looking for an item exactly. It’s highly unlikely that the Horcrux was hidden here. We’re looking for an entrance of some sort."


"Like the stone archway Dumbledore uncovered?" said Hermione quietly, adding the light of her own wand to Harry’s.


"Exactly," said Harry, nodding.


"But, if it’s invisible, how will we know what it is – if there’s anything there at all?" said Ron curiously.


"Just keep any eye out for anything unusual," said Harry with a slight shrug. "If Snape really was guarding some sort of entryway, he probably used something significant to mark it."


"Significant to him you mean," said Ginny shakily. "And knowing Snape it will probably be something foul."


"And for heaven’s sake, if you do find something you think might be the Horcrux, don’t touch it!" said Hermione, casting a reproachful look at Ginny. "There’s a spell – a holding spell in one of Dumbledore’s books that will act as a sort of stasis chamber for any item that has a spell on it, but I have to perform it before anyone touches it! Remember what happened with the locket!"


"We’d all handled the damn locket when we were at Grimmauld Place," said Ginny defensively. "It wasn’t like any of us expected it to react the way it did the way it did by the lake!"


"Of course not," said Harry quickly. "We’ll all be extra careful this time Ginny, Hermione’s just letting us know how to handle the Horcrux when and if we find it."


"All right then, let’s not just stand here all day," said Ron brightly, and stepped through the doorway. Harry, Ginny and Hermione were on his heels.


"Looks about the same as it ever did," said Ginny, her nose wrinkled in distaste as the light from their four lit wands fell across the shelves full of slimy creatures and other unspeakable items which still hung suspended in their jars of multi-colored liquids.


"Why didn’t he take these with him when he moved the rest of his things to the Defense classroom?" Hermione wondered as she peered into a jar that contained a number of objects that looked suspiciously like hairy eyeballs. "Didn’t most of these used to be in the Potions classroom when Snape was Potions Master?"


"Maybe they don’t like the light," offered Ron grimacing at another jar which appeared to be housing a brain suspended in an evil-looking green liquid.


"Or maybe he didn’t think they were relevant to the subject of Defense," said Ginny quietly. "I mean, what exactly do fingernails or eyeballs, or brains even have to do with Defense Against the Dark Arts?"


"By themselves, in jars, nothing," said Hermione, smiling slightly. "Unless he were to use some sort of Potion as a form of Defense."


"And there are plenty of those," said Harry, frowning slightly as he looked around the room. "But most of the ones I’ve heard of take ages to brew up and aren’t any good for spur of the moment defense."


It was going to be a difficult job to go through the office thoroughly. There were so many cupboards and shelves, most of them full to overflowing with books of all sizes and shapes or jars filled with liquid. There were even some stoppered bottles that appeared to contain potions of various types (some labeled, some not).


"Okay, let’s split up – remember - I doubt very much if the Horcrux is here in the room, so unless something looks – or feels – particularly dodgy, don’t worry about touching it. We’re looking for a hidden entrance – or possibly a clue to where the Horcrux is hidden."


Harry stood quite still; waiting; listening as Ron, Hermione and Ginny spread out and began to search the office. For several minutes there was nothing but the sounds of cabinets being opened and closed; books and bottles being shifted on shelves and the creaking of floorboards as they moved across the floor.


Harry looked down, his scalp prickling. Floorboards?


"Stop!" Harry’s voice sounded loud, even to him.


The others looked up, Ron, his hands full of papers he’d been shuffling on Snape’s desk; Ginny, who was poking about in a tall wardrobe and Hermione, who was thumbing through a stack of books she had retrieved from the bookshelf in front of which she was standing.


"Harry?" Ginny’s voice sounded as if it were coming from the far side of a very long tunnel. "Harry, what is it?"


Harry ignored her. He was staring instead at the floor – more particularly, at a particular segment of the floor very nearly in the center of the room and very nearly equidistant from each of the heavy stone walls. There was no rug covering the spot. No item of furniture stood over it; nothing at all to indicate that this particular piece of flooring was any different than the rest. So why did his gaze keep coming back to the one spot?


Harry slowly walked across the floor, crossing the space that had pulled his gaze and wasn’t at all surprised to feel on the hairs on his arms and the back of his neck stand upright as if he’d crossed some sort of barrier. He stopped dead still, looking around him, trying to see something, anything that would indicate why the very air in this few square feet felt different.


"Harry?"


Ron’s voice this time, and Harry, without looking up heard himself respond. "This place has known magic," he said, and his voice, while still his own, sounded different, fuller, as if there were several Harries, all of them speaking at once. Where had he heard those words before? Oh yes, Dumbledore had said something very like that when they’d stood before the invisible stone archway in the cave. But there was no archway here. There was nothing but empty air and the floor beneath his feet and . . .it was then that Harry looked up. There, carved into the beam above where he stood, was the perfect replica of an eagle in full flight.


"It’s an eagle!" said Ginny in a hushed voice.


"Bloody hell!" Ron had dropped the papers, which were fluttering gently to the floor, like leaves that had fallen from a tree, like the shed feathers of a bird . . .of an eagle . . .


"There’s something here." Harry had taken a step backwards, moving backwards through the invisible barrier. He circled the center of the room slowly, carefully, keeping his eyes on the floor.


"You don’t think it marks an archway or something?" said Ron, who was still looking up at the carving.


"Not up there, anyway," said Hermione who was watching Harry through narrowed eyes. "You’re wondering why this room has floorboards instead of flagstones, aren’t you, Harry?"


"Blimey," said Ron, seeming to notice the wooden floor for the first time. "You’re right Hermione. You think there’s something hidden beneath the floor? You think it might be the Horcrux?"


Harry was shaking his head, but it was Ginny who answered. "Not the Horcrux," she said quietly in a tone that belied the hard, blazing look in her eyes. "I looked – I looked all around the office. Tom had me look all around the office, but he wasn’t looking for the Horcrux."


"He was looking for the entrance to wherever it is the Horcrux is hidden," said Harry, taking Ginny’s hand in his own and squeezing it tightly. "He knew Snape was guarding it, but he didn’t think he could trust Snape to tell him where it was."


"I went around the whole room," said Ginny. Her hand was shaking slightly but her voice was firm. "He had me looking at every inch of each of the walls . . .under the carpets . . .behind the books . . .inside every cabinet. But not here . . .never here."


"Here?" said Ron, looking around blankly.


"Under the floorboards," said Hermione, nodding sagely. "You think it’s another opening Harry?"


"Probably," said Harry, still staring at the floor. "I don’t see where else it could be. He had Ginny look, but because she couldn’t feel the residual magic, there’s no way that he would have been able to tell, at least through her. He probably thought that he would recognize the entrance when he saw it."


"Why can I feel it now then?" asked Ginny curiously. She removed her hand from Harry’s and extended it in front of her until it seemed to have reached some sort of a barrier. "Here," she said, poking at the air in front of her with a forefinger. "Right here. I can feel a sort of tingling on my skin."


"That’s the magic," said Harry quickly. "That’s what I felt in the cave. But you couldn’t feel it before? When Tom had you looking?"


Ginny shook her head. "Odd now that I think of it," she said slowly, turning to look at Harry, a strange sort of light was shining in her eyes as she spoke. "I felt like there was something odd in the room when we walked in, but I didn’t know where the feeling was coming from until you pointed it out. But it’s not just this," she said, reaching out again to where the tingling started. "There are a lot of things that I can do now – things that I couldn’t do before."


So much more that I know.


Harry looked at her sharply. She hadn’t spoken that last sentence, the voice hadn’t been audible to Ron and Hermione for Ron was responding to what she had said about being able to do things she hadn’t done before.


"You think it’s because he possessed you?" said Ron bluntly, looking around at his sister with a skeptical look on his face. "But You-know-who possessed Harry, or tried to back in our fifth year, and Harry’s no different now than he was then."


But that wasn’t entirely true, thought Harry with an internal grimace. That night in the Atrium wasn’t the first time Voldemort had been in direct contact with Harry. Voldemort had tried to kill him as a baby. He’d left Harry with a scar shaped like a bolt of lightning and powers that he never would have had if Voldemort hadn’t tried to destroy him.


Perhaps something like that had happened when Voldemort had poured his soul into Ginny. Perhaps even when the Horcrux had been destroyed something of Voldemort – or part of the Voldemort that had been in the diary - had remained. Harry met Ginny’s eyes and he couldn’t help but grin. Something else they had in common then. Ginny grinned back at him, one eyebrow raised.


"It doesn’t matter why I can feel it," said Ginny, still grinning at Harry. "What matters is that there is something here. I don’t know what it is, but it can’t be a coincidence that both Harry and I can feel it and that we just happen to be looking for something that used to belong to Rowena Ravenclaw, and that whatever it is Harry and I can feel is located directly beneath a carving of the bird that has come to be her symbol."


"So you think the entrance is here?" Said Hermione, scowling at the empty space Harry had been staring at for so long.


"But where would it go?" wondered Ron. "I mean – if there was an invisible arch or entrance or whatever – it’s not like it opens into a rock wall or something, like in the cave. There’s nothing here!"


"There is a power in the very walls and foundations of the noble halls of Hogwarts. No one who has been to the very roots of the castle can argue that this is so. It is told in story and rhyme that the location for the school was chosen because of the potent and ancient magic contained in the land itself."


Ginny’s voice spiraled around the room and Harry felt his skin crawl as he recognized the words he had read from the crumbling parchment while all alone in Grimmauld Place – the words that had clued him in to where he might find at least one of the Horcruxes; the words that had led him back to Hogwarts. How had she known? Had he read the parchment aloud then?


The roots of the castle. But they were in the dungeons. Wasn’t that as far down as they could go?


"So there must be someplace lower," said Ginny as if he had spoken out loud. "The Chamber of Secrets was lower. The tunnels, the pipes I had to slide down, they went on forever."


"So was the chamber where Dumbledore hid the Philosopher’s Stone," agreed Harry. "We had to jump through that trapdoor," he said, turning to grin at Ron and Hermione. "Remember?"


"How could I forget," said Ron with a grimace as Hermione made a noise somewhere between a cough and a snort. "We’d still be down there if Hermione wasn’t so good at Herbology."


"So you really think this is some sort of entrance?" said Hermione, eyeing the space beneath the carving with professional interest.


"What else could it be?" said Harry shrugging. "Neither the Ministry Aurors or the Order lot were looking for an entrance – they were all looking for items that might incriminate Snape; clues as to his being a double agent; clues as to where he might have gone, not an entrance to a lower dungeon."


"So if it’s an entrance," said Ginny, squinting at the space beneath the carving. "Like a door, how do we open it so we can get through?"


"That’s easy enough," said Hermione, whipping out her wand and pointing it at the carving. "Alohamora."


Nothing happened.


"Recludere"


"It’s not going to be that simple," said Harry, shaking his head as he remembered Dumbledore’s having to use his own blood in order to reveal the entrance to the cave.


But this entrance had been sealed by Snape, and somehow blood sacrifice didn’t seem in line with Snape’s personality. He would have used something more subtle and less obvious than a blood spell. "For one thing, it’s probably not a door, but an entrance."


"Well, I can try can’t I?" said Hermione tetchily. She waved her wand again. "Revelare!"


"If it’s just an opening, there’s nothing he could have hidden, so the Revealing Charm isn’t going to do any good," Ginny pointed out.


Hermione gave her a rather dirty look then raised her wand again. "There has to be a spell that will show us how it is hidden! Exhibere!"


"But if there’s nothing to exhibit-" began Ron.


"That’s not the point!" snapped Hermione. "There’s only so many revealing and opening spells available. Invenire!"


"There’s nothing to find Hermione," said Ginny gently. "If it’s an opening, not a door or a stairway or any other tangible item that was disguised, all the standard opening, finding or reveling charms aren’t going to do any good."


"What would you suggest then," said Hermione acidly. "I suppose we could all just go back up to the common room then and forget that any of this ever happened." Hermione looked flushed, hurt and angry that all her memorized spells had let her down.


"Isn’t there a spell for opening a space?" asked Ron reasonably, coming up behind Hermione and wrapping his arms around her waist. She leaned into him, her tension visibly draining away at his touch.


Harry and Ginny exchanged amused grins.


"Please Ron, how can you open a space?" Hermione’s tone was calmer now, more relaxed. "There has to be something to open."


Ginny’s eyes went wide and when she spoke it was in an odd, dreamy tone that Harry had never heard from anyone other than Luna. "It’s not a space," she said slowly. She pulled out her wand and pointed it at the eagle carved into the beam. "It’s a portal, a hidden portal! Recludere Occultus Portae!"


The effect was instantaneous. The air in a space of about six feet in diameter below the carving began to shimmer. An instant later everything shifted slightly and the air snapped back into place.


Where, a moment before there had been solid wooden flooring, there was now a dark, circular hole; an empty space that seemed to absorb all available light as if the darkness were somehow alive, or . . .


"Hungry," said Ginny softly, and once again Harry turned to look at her. "It looks hungry." She was shivering slightly, which wasn’t surprising seeing as that the temperature in Snape’s office had apparently dropped by about ten degrees.


"Well," said Ron, shrugging slightly. "It would seem we’ve found the entrance to wherever it is we’re trying to go." He looked around at Harry, his face creased with concern. "Any idea where it goes then?" he asked, trying to sound nonchalant.


"Only one way to find out," said Harry, and, without another word, stepped forward into the darkness.



Back to index


Chapter 15: THE TUNNEL






"Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable."


~H.L. Mencken


 


 


CHAPTER FIFTEEN: THE TUNNEL


 


Silence


Darkness


Total Silence


Absolute Darkness


. . . and a presence. He wasn’t alone. There was someone – or something else with him in the darkness.


"Lumos." Hermione’s voice cut through the silence and a second later light flared in front of Harry’s eyes, making him squint. "That was stupid Harry," she said flatly, turning in a circle so that the light from her wand illuminated the chamber in which they now stood. "It could have been a trap. You realize that, don’t you?"


The steady light fell on a crouched, shadowy form. Harry hesitated, but Hermione went right up to it and, placing a hand beneath the creature’s elbow, helped him to stand.


"You all right Ron?" she said, brushing dust and cobwebs from his shoulders and hair.


"Yeah – cor, Hermione, what the hell was that?"


"The portal," said Ginny, slipping her hand into Harry’s. Harry started. He hadn’t seen her when Hermione had made her first circuit with the light from her wand. "I had to make sure and close it behind me after you lot came through."


"So where are we then?" asked Ron, lighting his own wand and holding it high over his head.


Harry and Ginny copied him and, in the light of the four wands, the room came into clearer focus. It was a large stone room, oddly enough it looked nearly identical to the room they had just left.


"Hey," said Ron, his voice startled. "Isn’t this-"


"Snape’s office?" said Harry, nodding. "Sure looks like it."


"But this one’s empty," Hermione pointed out, gesturing towards the bare walls and floor. "No furniture, no books . . ."


"No bottles of pickled eyeballs," added Ginny with a slight smile.


"How can it be the same room?" said Ron confusedly.


"It’s not," said Harry quietly. He pointed to the door, the door that, in Snape’s office led to the dungeon corridor. "That’s not the same door."


Snape’s office door was a solid slab of oak, completely devoid of ornamentation. This door looked like a darker wood, walnut maybe, or mahogany, and was intricately carved. Every inch of its surface was covered with carvings. The detail of the carvings was breathtaking in their intricacy.


At the top of the door was an eagle in flight, every feather rendered perfectly. In its claws was a serpent, every scale distinct and instantly recognizable for what it was. Out of the serpent’s mouth issued a stream of water in which a dragon was cavorting while in the snake’s coils was wrapped a human figure, its arms extended in supplication. A griffin, it’s regal head held high was perched on the pinnacle of a mountaintop whose roots extended like those of a tree into the bowls of the earth. A unicorn in full gallop was trampling a lion in whose paws rested a gem-encrusted crown. There were moons and stars, suns and clouds, birds and beasts and creatures magical and non-magical, people, plants, musical instruments and a number of things Harry couldn’t put a name to.


Harry stood in front of the door, letting his fingertips trace the carvings, letting his eyes take in the intricate juxtaposition of creature and object, plant and instrument. There was power here and a message . . .a message he could feel but not quite read.


"Blimey," said Ron, blinking at the door as if certain his eyes weren’t working properly. "Where did this door come from?"


"It’s been here," said Ginny softly. The dreamy tone was back in her voice and her eyes had come unfocused, as if she could see something the rest of them couldn’t. "It’s always been here."


"Come off it," said Ron bluntly. "The door’s in the castle, isn’t it? You mean it’s been here since the castle was built."


"It has been here since the beginning."


"The beginning of what, Ginny?" Hermione’s voice was calm and cool as if she were merely drilling Ginny in questions from Magical Herbs and Fungi.


"The beginning," said Ginny enigmatically.


"Do you know where the door goes?" asked Hermione, her voice still steady, though, when Harry glanced at her she looked pale and shaky.


"It leads to the heart," said Ginny, her face was expressionless and she appeared to be looking not at the door, but through it.


"The heart of what?" managed Hermione, her voice wavering slightly now.


"The heart of the beginning."


Ginny blinked, shook her head slightly and then looked at the door as if seeing it for the first time.


"Wow!" she breathed, touching the griffin with a fingertip. "That’s amazing! But it doesn’t look like Snape’s door, does it?"


Harry, Ron and Hermione all exchanged rather alarmed looks.


"What?" said Ginny, looking around at them all.


"Don’t – don’t you remember what you just said?" managed Ron finally.


"I said that it’s an amazing piece of work, but that it doesn’t look anything like Snape’s door, even though from the looks of it I’d have to say that we’re in his office, or something very much like it," said Ginny, shrugging.


"That’s not all you said," Harry told her, taking her hand in his. "When you first saw the door your eyes went all misty and you said that the door has always been here."


"That it’s been here since the beginning," added Ron, swallowing hard.


"That it leads to the heart of the beginning," finished Hermione gently.


Ginny stared at them uncomprehendingly. "I did not." She looked from Ron, who was shrugging to Hermione, who was nodding, to Harry, who wrapped his arm around her and drew her close to his side.


"Doesn’t matter," he said firmly. "You may have said it, but we still don’t know what’s behind it."


"Guess there’s only one way to find out then, isn’t there?" said Ginny, throwing his own words back at him as she laid her hand on the door and pushed.


The door swung inward, revealing a stone stairway that looked, for all intents and purposes, exactly like the stairway that led from the Entrance Hall of the castle to the dungeons. Even the torches in their brackets (though these were unlit) were identical to those that lined the stairway to the Potions classroom each of them had traveled multiple times a week for years.


"This can’t be possible," whispered Hermione. "There is no door at the top of the stairway to the dungeons."


"Then this isn’t the stairway to the dungeons," said Harry reasonably.


"At least not the stairway to the Hogwarts dungeons," added Ginny shakily.


They all looked at each other. Harry shrugged and stepped forward, Ginny followed, then Hermione with Ron brining up the rear. The staircase was long, longer than it looked. What seemed like an hour later Harry stepped onto the flagstone floor at the bottom of the stairway, only to find himself at the top of the circular stairway leading down from the top of the Astronomy tower.


Harry blinked. This couldn’t be right. There was no way that they could come to the bottom of the dungeon stairway only to be at the top of the Astronomy tower staircase. Ginny’s hand slipped into his, it was trembling. He looked down at her only to find her staring ahead, down the stairs.


"Oh my god!" Hermione’s voice had lost any pretense of calm as she stepped onto the landing behind them and saw what lay ahead.


"No way!" ejaculated Ron from behind her.


"What do you think will be at the bottom of this one?" asked Ginny finally, looking up at him, an odd, determined look in her eyes.


"Another staircase?" suggested Harry. He was only half joking, and it ceased to be funny when at the bottom of this staircase they found themselves at the top of the staircase that contained the trick step in which Harry had become lodged the night he had taken his golden egg out for a bath in the prefects bathroom - or what appeared to be the staircase the contained the trick step. He knew it couldn’t be. It was an illusion, all of it.


"Why don’t we try one of the doors?" suggested Ron half an hour later as they came to the bottom of the trick stairway and found themselves standing at the top of the Marble staircase that led to the Great Hall.


"No Ron!" said Hermione sharply, snatching his hand as he made to try one of the doorknobs. "We don’t know what might happen!"


"Well, it can’t be the real staircase to the great hall, that has to be, like, miles above us by now."


"Exactly!" said Hermione patiently. "If these staircases are just illusion, then probably whatever is behind these doors are too."


"Well, the staircases aren’t doing any harm," said Ron, frowning at a door which, on the real marble staircase, would have led to one of Filch’s broom closets, "and if what’s behind the doors is an illusion too, than it probably won’t hurt us."


"Use your brain Ron!" said Ginny scathingly. "Where do you think we are, right now? For real?"


"Er . . .somewhere below the dungeons?"


"Exactly," said Ginny. "We’re underground Ron."


"And that means what, exactly?" said Ron bemusedly.


"Well, obviously this staircase is a real staircase," said Hermione, tapping the stone beneath her feet with the sole of her shoe. "I mean, we can feel it, we’re walking down it. We may not be able to see what the real staircase looks like, but it’s definitely a staircase, or at least a way down. But we don’t know what’s behind these doors."


"Rooms?" suggested Ron.


"But we don’t know for sure," said Hermione pointedly. "What may look like a room to us may be just earth. If you were to walk through one you could find yourself in a cave or a mine shaft, sealed off from the world above."


"You think all these doors are caves or mine shafts?" said Ron skeptically


"Not necessarily," said Ginny gravely. "They could just be earth illusion to look like rooms. You walk in, the door shuts behind you and you’re buried alive."


Harry felt the robust family of centipedes that lived in his spine take a leisurely morning (was it still morning?) stroll up his spine.


"Damn, Ginny, can you get any more cheerful?" asked Harry with a shuddering sort of laugh.


"Well, he asked," said Ginny, feigning a pout.


"So what if the stairway decides to just – end?" asked Ron, a frown creasing his forehead. "I mean, if whoever buried this thing, this Horcrux, doesn’t want anyone finding it – you could take the next step and end up buried alive, right?"


"I don’t think so," said Harry slowly. "I think that’s what they want us to think. I think that all these stairways," he motioned towards the bottom of the marble staircase where a tantalizing slice of sunlight spilled across the flagstone floor of the Entrance Hall, "are supposed to unnerve us just enough that we’ll feel tempted to either turn around and go back or to step off the staircase – even try opening one of the doors."


"If I were down here by myself that’s probably exactly what I would have done by now," said Ginny, nodding. "I mean, it is pretty unnerving even with you lot here, but can you imagine finding all of this on your own?"


"It’s enough to drive a person nutters," agreed Ron. "So, on with the staircase then?"


"Unless any of you want to turn back now," said Harry hopefully. He was glad for their company, he really was, but he was starting to get nervous. He had the distinct impression that it wasn’t going to get any better. In fact, if his encounter with Voldemort’s last hiding place for a Horcrux was any sort of lesson, it was probably going to get a lot worse in the very near future.


All three of them looked around at him as if he had sprouted an extra head and Harry couldn’t help but chuckle. "All right then, let’s see just how deep the rabbit hole goes."


 


* * *


 


"How many staircases are there at Hogwarts?" panted Ginny an hour later as they descended what appeared to be a grossly elongated version of the cramped circular stairway in North Tower beneath Professor Trelawney’s classroom.


"One hundred and fourteen," gasped Hermione, who looked ready as if she were ready to collapse. "You think that’s how many we’ll have to go down?"


"Well, I haven’t seen any so far that I don’t recognize from Hogwarts," said Ginny with a shrug. "And we’ve gone down a fair lot."


"It makes sense actually," said Hermione, sagging against the wall in an attempt to catch her breath. "Symbolic even, to have representations of every staircase in Hogwarts."


"Symbolic?" said Ron incredulously.


"Yes, you know," said Hermione, shrugging slightly, "we might not be on a staircase at all. We could be on some sort of lift, or a ramp even, or this could be some sort of escalator. The staircases might be a sort of symbolic measurement system, telling the one traversing it how far down they’ve gone. Of course, that would assume that the person on the staircase is in a position to have access to that sort of information."


"Of course," murmured Harry, repressing a smile as Ron struggled manfully to come to grips with what Hermione was saying.


"Or it could be representational," said Ginny, shooting her older brother a nasty grin. "The stairs might be actual stairs, but the varying appearance of the staircases could represent any number of things - like states of consciousness, alternative realities-"


"Multiple personalities?" suggested Harry.


"Of the person who thought this thing up maybe," growled Ron, scowling as they stepped onto the landing and found themselves once again at the top of a staircase. "This one seems familiar," said Ron, his scowl deepening as he took in the smoothly moving staircase that ended, at the bottom, with thick wooden door that appeared to be adorned by a brass knocker.


"Of course it does," said Hermione sharply. "We’ve only been climbing it nearly every day for the last few weeks."


"The Headmaster’s office," said Ron, the frown ironing itself out of his forehead, to be replaced with a look of relief.


"Headmistress," corrected Hermione.


"Whatever!" said Ron happily. "This could be it then!"


Something was wrong though. Harry couldn’t shake his concern as he stepped onto the smoothly moving stairway and felt himself being drawn down towards the green door.


Down?


"The door to the Headmaster – I mean Headmistress’s door is at the top of the stairs," said Harry slowly. "Not at the bottom. Which means that this-"


"Isn’t the Headmistress’s office," said Ron, looking over Ginny’s head with his eyebrows raised.


"At least not our Headmistress’s office," said Ginny quietly.


Harry turned his head to look at her, and felt a shiver go down his spine. What if they opened the door and found a room like Professor McGonagall’s office, a room like the replica of Snape’s office they had found, a room that was empty except for some horrible travesty of a Headmistress – an Inferi perhaps, all waxy skin and empty, soulless eyes sitting behind a moldering desk. If you would all open your books to page three hundred and forty two . . .


He hesitated outside of the door, the vision of the Inferi (had it been his or Ginny’s?) still fresh in his head.


"Go on," said Hermione, nodding at the brass knocker in front of them.


Reaching out, Harry laid his hand on the familiar smooth wood of the door and, bracing himself for the worst, gave it a push.


Nothing happened.


Harry pushed it again, harder this time.


The door continued to remain solidly, inexplicably, closed.


Hermione whipped out her wand, trying several variations of opening and unlocking charms and Ginny even tried the spell that had revealed the opening of the portal, to no avail.


"Do you think it would be worth our while to try to force it open?" suggested Ron as Harry stood, his forehead resting against the smooth green wood, trying desperately to think of something that might work.


"If it were a common Muggle-made door, it just might," said Hermione grimly from where she sat on the bottom most step. The staircase had stopped revolving the moment Ron had stepped off of it. "Or at least we might be able to go through the wall beside it, or dismantle the doorframe – something – but this," she gestured hopelessly at the door. "It doesn’t have a key hole, and it’s not responding to any spells, so we know that it never was designed to unlock in the normal way, whether Muggle or magical ."


Of course it wouldn’t unlock in the normal way, thought Harry. What door at Hogwarts ever opened in anything that could be described as a normal way? Take the door to the kitchens for instance, you had to tickle the picture of the pear, which would then turn into a doorknob. Then there was the door to the Room of Requirement that would only work if you were concentrating on what it was you needed and walked past it three times. And the door to the Gryffindor common room that wasn’t really a door at all, but a hole in the wall behind the picture of the fat lady who would only let you in if you knew the correct password. And then there was the gargoyle that guarded professor McGonagall’s office. You had to give the gargoyle the correct password before it would leap aside and let you enter the door that was hidden behind the wall – the door that led to the ever-revolving stairway that led up to McGonagall’s office . . .the same kind of stairway that Harry and the others had just come down.


Harry straightened up and took a step back from the door, squinting as he did so at the brass doorknocker. This was no griffin! This was a gargoyle!


"Damn!" said Harry forcefully as his brain struggled to catch up to what his eyes were seeing. "It’s a gargoyle!"


"What’s a gargoyle?" said Hermione, looking up at him with a faint frown.


"The doorknocker, don’t you see?"


"Well, like Ginny said, this isn’t really the door to McGonagall’s office, is it?" said Ron, shrugging. "So some things are bound to be different."


"But then why have a gargoyle at all?" wondered Harry. "I mean, what’s the point? But there is a gargoyle guarding the entrance to the revolving staircase that leads up to the Head’s office – it can’t be a coincidence!"


"So, you think it’s keyed for the same password as McGonagall’s office then?" asked Hermione curiously. "That would seem rather odd, for someone who was guarding something they wanted to keep hidden." She shrugged, then pointed her wand at the gargoyle. "Timbuktu," she said firmly. Nothing happened.


"No," said Ginny, speaking for the first time since they’d reached the bottom of the staircase. She was standing very close to Harry and reached out a finger to trace the contours of the gargoyle. "It wouldn’t be keyed for McGonagall’s password, not if Snape is the one who keyed it."


"You mean . . .!" Harry turned to look at her, his eyes blazing. "Dumbledore’s password then? His last password?" He withdrew his wand, pointed it at the gargoyle and murmured, "Sugar Quill."


The door swung open soundlessly the darkness from the chamber beyond was absolute and spilled out into the entranceway in a torrent of malicious intent.


"Bloody hell!" yelped Ron, leaping backwards onto the bottom step beside Hermione as the sinuous shadows moved across the floor in undulating ripples.


"Harry?" Hermione’s voice from somewhere above him sounded oddly distorted, as if Harry were hearing her through actual water instead of liquid darkness, but since he was still breathing normally he knew that it must be some sort of illusion.


Harry looked around at her, but found he couldn’t see past the darkness that had engulfed him the moment the door had opened. They were gone. But he could see. He could see the liquid darkness as it swirled and billowed before him, around him, through him; darkness so thick he could taste it on his tongue, feel its faintly oily texture as it caressed his skin. For a moment he fought the panic threatening to rise up in his chest but then a small, warm, human hand slipped into his and he felt the panic receding.


"Ginny?"


The darkness absorbed his voice before it had even left his mouth; absorbed it so completely that he could not even hear himself speak, and yet, as if she had heard him, the grip on his hand tightened perceptibly.


Harry reached out with the hand that was not grasping Ginny’s. A wall, a rough stone wall; the doorframe and then, open space; the open doorway. The wall was mere inches in front of his face, yet all he could see was the oily, smoke-like darkness. Harry raised his hand, waving it back and forth in front of his face. Nothing.


His fingers traced the doorway again. It was solid, real, as real as Ginny’s hand, which was grasped tightly in his. Dared he step through? Dared he bring Ginny with him? What would happen to them when they stepped through?


For a horrible moment the image of Sirius falling backwards through the rippling, ragged black veil played in front of his eyes. Was this a Death Arch like the one that was kept in the Department of Mysteries? If he and Ginny stepped through would they ever be able to come back?


"Ginny," he tried to speak, but the darkness ate his words, stealing them from his lips before he could even fully form them. Harry tried again, this time letting the thoughts form in his head, willing her to hear him.


Ginny?


I’m here, Harry.


You have to go back Ginny.


No.


Ginny, we can’t take the risk! If I don’t come back . . .if I’m not able to come back.


You think it’s like the Death Arch. It was a statement, not a question. All the more reason for me to come with you.


Don’t be stupid! You could die!


So could you, Harry.


Ginny, I-


No Harry. I’m coming with you. We belong to each other now, remember? I told you I’d follow you to hell its self if I had to. Did you think those were just words?


He remembered. He turned, catching her to him in the darkness, his hands running the length of her body, pressing her so tightly against him that he could feel the very beating of her heart. His lips found hers and the kiss was searing, made all the more desperate by their blindness in the roiling darkness around them.


I can’t let you, Harry began, tearing himself away from her he dove for the doorway and a darkness, deeper and blacker than anything he had ever before experienced enfolded him.


* * *


"You brave, noble, stupid idiot!" Ginny’s breath was tickling his ear.


Harry wrenched his eyes open, squinting against the glare of wand light. He blinked. He was in a dark, circular stone room, sprawled inelegantly on a rough flagstone floor, his head pillowed on Ginny’s lap.


"Wha-what happened?" moaned Harry, trying to move and finding that he could, although it hurt like hell.


"You tried to go all noble on me you prat, and very nearly sliced your thick head open when you dove through that door!" Ginny informed him, the annoyance in her voice belied by the gentle way her hands were caressing his face and neck.


"You – you followed me?" croaked Harry, struggling to sit upright and wincing at a sudden, piercing pain in his side.


"No, I came with you. Big difference. You forget Harry, you were thinking those words at me, not saying them. I saw what you were going to do well before you did it, and just hung on when you jumped."


Harry began to laugh, but it turned into a gasp as the sharp, hot pain pierced his side again.


Ginny lowered the wand so that its light was directed at Harry’s side. He winced as she unbuttoned his shirt, revealing a large purplish black bruise on his left side.


"Broken ribs," she informed him prodding the edge of the bruise with her fingers. "Thought you must have cracked something when I saw what you’d landed on," she pointed to a rough spot just inside the doorway where a large flagstone had become dislodged and was now standing on its side. "Hold still, I think I can mend it."


Ginny pointed her wand at the bruise. "Episkey."


Harry felt his side go very hot, and then very cold. He attempted a shallow breath, only to find that the piercing pain was gone as if it had never been.


"Thanks Gin."


"Just be glad it wasn’t your head," said Ginny, a small smile playing around her lips.


Harry lit his own wand and held it up to join the glow from Ginny’s. What had appeared in the light of the single wand to be a circular room carved out of solid stone proved, in the combined light of both their wands was now show to be made up of huge stone blocks, each of which was easily ten feet tall and at least as wide. The blocks were fitted together like interlocking pieces of some indescribably large jigsaw puzzle to form walls, walls that towered over them by at least thirty feet.


"There’s nothing like this in Hogwarts," breathed Ginny, turning in a full circle as she attempted to determine the breadth of the chamber they’d found themselves in.


"I don’t know," said Harry dubiously. "That Unknowable Room was like a cathedral, several cathedrals."


"The place where you hid the Prince’s book?"


"Yeah. It was huge – heaped with all sorts of rubbish."


"But it was above ground," said Ginny, nodding at the towering walls and at the earth visible in the cracks between the flagstones. "I don’t think this is."


"Admit it, Gin, you don’t have a clue where this is," said Harry with a halfhearted laugh. "Hermione was right – you were right! We could be anywhere. Above ground, below ground-"


"We’re below ground," said Ginny seriously. "Can’t you feel it?"


"Feel what?"


"The weight," said Ginny wrapping her arms around herself as if to ward off a chill. "Even the air is heavy! I can feel the weight over me like – like . . ."


"Like a boulder hanging over your head," said Harry as he looked up at the ceiling, which was shrouded in shadows. "Yeah, I guess I do feel it." Harry shivered and squinted across the room, trying to gauge the distance from wall to wall. "How big do you think this place is?" Harry wondered out loud


"A better question would be what is this place," said Ginny, turning in a full circle. "I mean, there doesn’t seem to be anything here, does there?"


"Ceiling, walls, floor."


"Exactly. And no doors."


"What?"


"No doors," said Ginny, nodding at the walls. "Except the one we came in, and that one worries me," she fixed the offending opening with her gaze and frowning at it in consternation.


"You mean, if we were to walk through it right now, would it take us back to Ron and Hermione or would it take us somewhere – else."


"Exactly. But I don’t see what choice we have really. I mean, there’s nothing here."


"We searched the whole room yet," Harry pointed out.


It took them all of tem minutes to search the cavernous chamber, but it appeared that Ginny was right. The room was completely empty, devoid of even the faintest traces of magic. Even quartering the floor hadn’t turned anything up. The flagstones, while old and worn, were completely devoid of any sort of markings and, except for the single dislodged flagstone just inside of the entrance, were all fitted securely in place.


The only odd thing - or things rather - were the four stone blocks situated in the center of the room. But, seeing as that they were completely bare and gave no clue whatsoever as to what they had ever been used for, Harry had to dismiss them as unimportant.


With a sigh, Harry turned back to the door, but a gasp from Ginny brought him up short. The door was gone. Where wooden green door had stood a moment ago there was now a curved archway. Beyond it, clearly visible, was the flickering light of torches mounted in brackets along an up-sloping hall.


"That wasn’t here before," said Ginny, pointing to the hall beyond the door. "We came down a spiral stairway – it dropped us off right in front of the door."


"I know."


"Well, where did the hallway come from?" demanded Ginny, she was staring up the hall with something very like panic creeping into her voice. "And the torches and . . ."


"I don’t know." Harry felt the words fall from his lips and felt his stomach sink. So far he’d been operating on pure logic, following one step at a time, certain that eventually he would stumble across whatever it was that Snape had hidden down here. The Horcrux was within his grasp, from the time he had felt the power of the portal pull on his mind he had known that it was only a matter of time.


Harry had followed the prickling of magic to the portal. He’d followed the portal to the staircases – each of them different and disturbing, but all of them leading down, so that was the way that he’d gone. Then, then he had come to a door that looked like the one that led to the Headmaster’s office. He’d used Professor Dumbledore’s old password to gain entrance and had forced himself to ignore the billowing darkness in order to step over the threshold. But what now?


There was no logic here, no reason; nothing to account for their being a torch-lit tunnel leading off of a chamber that he’d never even heard rumor of; a chamber that did not even appear on the Marauder’s Map and which, as far as he knew, might not even exist in Hogwarts itself. How could he be certain that it wasn’t a trap?


"How did we know that the portal wasn’t a trap?" said Ginny, her eyes glued to the torch-lit tunnel. "Or the staircase for that matter, or the door to the Head’s office? Harry, we’ve been at Snape’s mercy ever since we entered that portal. Why the sudden hesitancy?"


Harry stared at her. He hadn’t said anything out loud about it being a trap. She’d intuited his thought – again. That seemed to have been happening a lot ever since they’d stepped through the portal.


"Yeah, I know," he said finally. "It’s just – well, it looks so real is all." Harry felt his breath catch in his chest as the faintest of breezes touched his skin.


"So did the staircase," Ginny reminded him.


"But there wasn’t anything – else," said Harry weakly. "I mean. It was just stairways. Lots of them. All sorts. But nothing like – like torch light, or a breeze, did you feel it?"


Ginny nodded, smiling slightly as the air stirred the tendrils of hair clinging to her damp neck. She lifted her face, inhaling deeply. He breathed in too. It did smell good, all soft and sweet, with a faint whiff of grass and sunshine.


"Do you think it’s a way out?" Ginny wondered, taking a hesitant step towards the tunnel.


Harry hesitated, considering. There was something going on here. Something he didn’t understand. Why would Snape have used Dumbledore’s password if he was trying to keep something hidden from the Headmaster? Who had managed to get down here to light the torches? Why, when it felt as if they were miles under the castle, could he suddenly smell the out-of-doors? Harry shrugged in answer to Ginny’s question, then took her hand and stepped into the torchlight. He wasn’t sure of anything anymore.



Back to index


Chapter 16: THE SECOND BASTION; Requiem for Rowena




We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
~T. S. Eliot



 


 


CHAPTER SIXTEEN: THE SECOND BASTION; Requiem for Rowena



 


 


There was nothing obviously wrong with the torch-lit corridor. It was, as far as Harry could tell, just a corridor.



"A corridor without doors," murmured Ginny as they passed what had to be the fiftieth hissing and crackling torch.



"At least it’s going up," Harry pointed out. He refused to admit that the doorless, featureless corridor was unnerving him as well, but the incline of the corridor was unmistakable, as was the continual freshening of the air. Wherever this tunnel led, at the end it opened on the out-of-doors. The knowledge that they would soon reach open air resonated in Harry’s blood like a tune picked out on quivering harp strings.



"Shh, did you hear that?" Ginny placed a restraining hand on his arm.



"Hear what?"



"Quiet, listen!"



But there was nothing; nothing but the sigh of air past the stones and the hiss and crackle of the torches. And then, so faint at first that Harry thought it must be a figment of his imagination, came the faint, tinkling sounds of a harp.



"Whose playing it do you think?"



"No idea."



It grew louder as they walked; sure proof that they were reaching the end of the tunnel, or at least what they were searching for. The tune was sad and sweet; as if someone had set to music all the wistfulness of the ages and the voice! Someone was singing with the harp. At first the words were indistinguishable, but gradually they became clearer.



I sing of love forgotten,


I sing of times grown dim,


I sing of times of peril


And of hope, however thin.



If tomorrow all I cared for


Was taken from my grasp


I would still have hope inside my heart


And to it I’d hold fast.



And so it is I lift my voice


A blessing on the ones who hear


May you achieve your heart’s desire


And keep your hope forever near



 


Another five minutes of steady walking brought them to a set of smooth stone steps which led not to another corridor or even to a room, but which opened out onto a terrace overlooking the lake; a terrace bathed in the richly gold sunlight of a late summer’s afternoon.



Harry craned his neck, looking behind him for the reassuring turrets and roofline of the Hogwarts castle. Instead he found himself looking at a simple round structure — a tower of sorts, though only half as high as the Astronomy tower, it was nearly five times as wide; a very rudimentary castle tower with a number of smaller, simpler structures attached its base. Dwellings? Storage sheds? Stables? There was really no way to tell what they were used for.



"All right," said Ginny quietly, as she stepped out onto the sun-warmed paving stones behind Harry and caught a glimpse of their surroundings. "Now I’m seriously freaked out. That’s the lake, and those mountains, I recognize them, but — where’s the school?"



"Dunno," said Harry, repressing a shiver. "I’d definitely have to say that we’re not in Kansas any more."



"Kansas?" said Ginny blankly.



"I just meant that I don’t think that this is Hogwarts."



"Of course it is."



Both Harry and Ginny jumped, withdrawing their wands, turning on the spot to find a young woman standing just behind them. She was dressed in robes of a rich, sapphire blue with silver embroidery at the collar, cuffs and hem. Her hair, which she wore in a long plait down her back, was so darkly brown that it could very well pass for black, but her eyes were of the same shade as her robes and they sparkled with interest and intelligence.



"There is, of course, no need to be alarmed," she added, taking in their startled expressions and drawn wands. "I have been waiting for you for a very long time indeed."



"Waiting?" said Harry blankly.



"For us?" added Ginny.



"Well, for you at least," said the woman, nodding at Harry. "He said that when the time was right you would come to collect what was rightfully yours. He did not mention your lovely traveling companion, but seeing as that you appear to have come together and that you," she inclined her head to Harry, "do not appear to be under any coercion by the young lady, I will take it to mean that she has been informed as to what it is you are searching for and perhaps that she is even helping you in your quest."



"Er . . ." Harry stared at the woman, his brain a complete blank.



"Who said this?" said Ginny, her eyes narrowing slightly.



"The one who binds us to this place."



"Us?" said Ginny, who was now frowning slightly. "You mean there’s more than one of you?"



"More than one of me?" The woman threw back her head, laughing delightedly. "Heavens no, there is only one of me. Rowena," she said, extending her hand to Ginny. "Rowena Ravenclaw."



Ginny took the woman’s hand, her eyes met Harry’s and one eyebrow arched questioningly. Harry didn’t need to hear her thought to know what she was thinking. How could she be Rowena Ravenclaw, the founder of Ravenclaw House if she was here, now? She was a descendent maybe, but not the real Rowena Ravenclaw. The real Rowena Ravenclaw had died ages ago.



"The Rowena Ravenclaw?" said Ginny, sounding stunned and once again seeming to intuit Harry’s thought. "One of the four original founders of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry?"



The woman inclined her head with a gracious smile.



"That’s impossible," blurted Harry before he could think about it. "You can’t be Rowena Ravenclaw. Rowena Ravenclaw died hundreds of years ago."



"Of course I did," said the woman, shrugging.



"Are you a ghost then?" wondered Ginny.



"More of a - memory," said the woman matter-of-factly.



Harry felt a chill run down his spine. He’d had more than one run-in with so-called ‘memories.’ And while the memories in Dumbledore’s Pensieve had been relatively benign, the ‘memory’ stored in Tom Riddle’s diary had taken on a malicious life of its own. Ginny’s mind must have been running in the same direction, because Harry felt her edge closer, her trembling hand slipping into his.



"If you’re a memory," said Harry carefully, "then where are you . . .er . . .stored?"



"Stored? Well, in here of course," said the woman, gesturing to an intricately carved wooden harp that leaned against the wall of the circular structure behind them.



The harp.



Harry felt his stomach clench tightly and it took him a moment to realize that the woman was speaking again.



"Although, since the Other has used it for his purposes, I find it much more agreeable to remain in the form that you see me. Shut up with that part of the Other that now inhabits my charge is, well, unpleasant."



"This Other," said Ginny slowly. "Would that be the same as the He you were speaking of? The one who binds you to this place?"



"Oh no, the Other came first. It is he who has manipulated the power of my charge for his own twisted purposes." she said sadly, gesturing to the harp. "He would keep its powers for himself instead of sharing them with all who have a need. No, the He of whom I spoke was set the task of guarding us. I believe that the Other was under the impression that he would be able to access what he had stored in my charge at any time, should he so need it, but unknown to the Other, He sent us here," she made an all-encompassing gesture.



"Where exactly is here?" asked Harry.



"You would be better to ask when is here," said the woman with an amused smile. "What you see here is a shadow of an ancient time; a time well before my own recollection of this land. He, the guardian, thought it prudent to separate my self and my charge from the time in which we originally came to be so that the Other would not be able to trace us so readily. It is said, and not without good cause, that he is bound in a most intimate way to the objects of his choice."



"You weren’t hidden so very well," said Ginny with a laugh. "We found you easy enough."



"Only because you were supposed to find me," said the woman coolly. "If you had not been the right person — the heir of Gryffindor," she said, nodding at Harry, "you would have found yourself stepping not into the portal which led you to me, but into another place where, while no harm would come to you, you would also have nary a hope of obtaining that which you seek."



"All right," said Harry, rubbing at his forehead in a desperate attempt to understand what the hell this woman was talking about. "We were supposed to find you. I was the right person, the heir of Gryffindor, whatever that means. Does that mean — now that we’ve found you and your charge, your harp - that we can just take the harp and leave?"



"He said that the one who would make his way to this place would know the power of my charge and the dangers inherent to its having been handled by the Other and that I was to allow him to remove it from it’s hiding place, but that I was to warn him that once removed from this time, my charge would once more be accessible by the Other, who would most likely want to regain it for his own evil purposes. Also, that I was to remind he who came to collect my charge, that its power, while great on its own, is nothing next to that wielded by all four of the objects on which we founded the Halls of Hogwarts, especially when united by the hand of He Who Will Heal Our Land."



Harry stared at the woman, nonplussed. Heir of Gryffindor? He Who Will Heal Our Land? Was that — were they supposed to be him?



"Did — did He give you any instructions as to how we were to handle your charge so as not to set off the evil properties that have been stored in it by the Other?" Harry wondered. "Or are we just supposed to take our chances?"



"Wisdom is a powerful tool," said the woman with a gentle smile. "And it is within my power — and my nature - to keep the Other’s properties in check, so long as my charge remains within the boundaries of the Hogwarts grounds."



"The locket was within the grounds," said Ginny warningly to Harry, "there was nothing keeping that in check, let me tell you!"



"You found Salazar’s locket?" said the woman delightedly. "Dearest Salazar! He invested the locket with his power, but he would not tie himself to it by blood or death. He wouldn’t have done something so selfless as leave a part of himself to guard the object of which he was keeper." She sighed deeply, and then smiled mischievously at Harry and Ginny. "He did not consider it to be necessary or prudent," said the woman tactfully.



"You mean it wasn’t in his own best interest," said Harry with a snort as he remembered something Slughorn had said, once upon a time, a Slytherin always knows when to save his own skin. "I can believe it," he said finally. All the Slytherins he had known had been selfish at heart, out for whatever they could get, and not shy of using any means to achieve their desires. Look at Draco, so desperate to prove himself to the Dark Lord that he had agreed to attempt to assassinate the most powerful wizard of the age. But in the end it hadn’t been Draco who had managed to kill Dumbledore, it had been Snape.



Another Slytherin. A Slytherin that Dumbledore had trusted with his life; a trust that had been repaid by treachery. An unformed thought was hovering at the edges of Harry’s mind, and he didn’t like what it was suggesting.



The Other had used the harp, an object deeply magical in its own respect, for what this woman had called ‘evil intentions’. She had seemed thoroughly disgusted by what she had called the Other’s ‘twisted purposes’. Harry could only assume that the Other was none other than Voldemort himself; a Voldemort who had most likely used the harp to create another one of his foul Horcruxes.



If this were the case, then it would explain why Voldemort had been so very anxious to stay at Hogwarts and teach — and why he had felt compelled to apply again for a teaching position so many years later at a time when he most likely not only had the locket, but the cup too in his possession.



But, assuming he had turned the harp into a Horcrux before he left Hogwarts in his seventh year, he had not hidden it as he had the hidden and guarded the locket. Perhaps he had thought that the very power of the object itself, or this spirit guardian who seemed tied in some complex way to her ‘charge’ would keep the Horcrux out of harm’s way. Or perhaps he had thought that the very nature of its being in Hogwarts would deter the casual seeker.



More likely Voldemort had probably thought that he would have no trouble convincing Professor Dippet to give him the Defense position. Nor had he given it to a trusted friend to guard. Or had he?



Snape was the guardian. He had to be, the entrance, the portal, had been in his office after all. It made perfect sense. Snape had — at Voldemort’s orders of course — pretended to come over to Dumbledore’s side and thus had ensured himself a position at Hogwarts where he would have been in a perfect position to search out and put his own protections around his master’s fragment of soul.



But hadn’t Snape come to Hogwarts after Voldemort had lost his power? Why would he have come after — unless of course he had been following Voldemort’s last instructions? That would definitely explain why Snape had never clued Dumbledore in to the fact that there was a Horcrux hidden at Hogwarts. If Dumbledore had known that there was a Horcrux hidden in the castle he would have turned the place upside down to find it, to destroy it. But what it didn’t explain was why if Snape really had been working for the Dark Lord, why he had hidden the harp in such a way that even Voldemort himself would not have been able to find it; why he would have hidden it in such a way that only the heir of Gryffindor — the antithesis of Slytherin — would have been able to find and remove it?



"I see that you have many questions young master," said the woman gently. "And I wish that I could help you to decipher them. Unfortunately, I can only give you the information that is directly related to the object to which I am tied." She shrugged delicately. "And yes, you may remove the harp from this place, but unless you wish to activate the evil that has tied itself to it, I strongly suggest you keeping it within the bounds of the castle grounds."



"If I do take it from here, what will happen to you?" asked Harry, picking up the harp and wondering at the weight of it and the intricacy of its carvings.



"I shall of course remain with my charge," said the woman quietly. "Though once you pass through the portal I will be indistinguishable from the harp itself."



"But I thought you said that it was uncomfortable to remain locked up with the part of the Other that is stored here," said Harry, gesturing to the harp.



"It is for the best," said the woman gently, placing a slim, long-fingered hand on Harry’s shoulder. "Do not fear for my discomfort, young master. Do what is right and the rest will follow."



* * *



In seemingly no time they were back in the stone chamber. No sooner had they entered then there was once more a door in place of the archway they had just passed through. By all appearances it was the door they had originally passed through to get into the stone chamber in the first place.



"That is just too weird," said Ginny, shaking her head.



"Weird, but convenient," Harry amended.



"Here I will bid you farewell young master," said Rowena as Harry and Ginny made to approach the door. "Remember though, that I will only be a thought away." With a smile she faded into a shimmering mist which briefly encased the harp in Harry’s hands before disappearing altogether.



"I wonder what all that was, about me being the heir of Gryffindor," wondered Harry, staring at the harp curiously.



"I bet Hermione will know," said Ginny with a shrug. "And speaking of Hermione, I wonder if she and Ron are still out there."



"They probably gave up on us hours ago," said Harry realistically. "I mean, they were supposed to be back by curfew in order to perform their Prefect duties, and I’m sure it’s well beyond curfews. Who knows, we could have been gone days, not just hours."



"But they wouldn’t have been able to get back through the Portal," said Ginny thoughtfully. "Didn’t Rowena say that only you would be able to pass through it?"



"Yeah, but they came through on their own earlier," Harry pointed out.



"No, they came in after you did," Ginny reminded him. "Maybe the portal is sensitive to your thoughts or something. It could know that Ron and Hermione were with you — that they are doing what’s right. Anyway, she only said that they wouldn’t be able to come in, not that they wouldn’t be able to leave."



"Well then, I guess there’s only one way to find out," said Harry, grinning, and pulled her through the door after him.



 


* * *



"Bloody hell!" yelped Ron, leaping backwards onto the bottom step beside Hermione as the sinuous shadows moved across the floor in undulating ripples. "What the fuck is that?"



"It came out of the door when Harry opened it," said Hermione, clutching at Ron’s arm as if afraid that the darkness would reach up and wrap itself around her, dragging her down into some sort of bottomless pit of liquid terror. She retreated several more steps up the staircase, dragging Ron with her as the malicious darkness lapped relentlessly against the stone.



"Where did they go?" wondered Ron, sounding scared.



"Harry?" called Hermione, then louder, "Harry?"



"Are they in that stuff?" said Ron, his face now pale with shock.



Before Hermione could register what he was doing, he had kicked off his shoes and was pulling his shirt off over his head.



"No!" screamed Hermione, grabbing his arm and digging in her heels. "We don’t know what this is!"



"Doesn’t bloody well matter now, does it?" snapped Ron, prising her fingers off of his arm and turning back to the relentlessly pounding surf of darkness. "I can’t just let them drown now, can I?"



Hermione screamed as a hand, Ginny’s hand, appeared above the surface of the roiling darkness. There was a muffled thud as if somewhere very far away a door had been closed. A moment later the darkness was draining away like water down a drain and there stood Harry and Ginny, looking rather tired and windblown, but none the worse for wear.



"Harry!" cried Hermione, flinging herself into his arms. Ron in the meantime had pulled Ginny into a bone-crushing hug.



"Damn, Gin, I thought I’d lost you!" he said gruffly.



"What — where did your shirt go?" laughed Ginny, pulling away from Ron and getting her first good look at the state of his appearance. "And your shoes!"



"I was — I was coming in to get you," said Ron in a choked voice. "But then the darkness went away almost as fast as it came in."



"We thought you’d drowned or something," said Hermione, pulling away from Harry and wiping at her eyes with her sleeve. "You scared us, disappearing like that! What happened?"



Harry and Ginny exchanged confused looks.



"What do you mean that it left as fast as it came in?" asked Ginny carefully.



"Well, just that," said Ron, shrugging. "One minute it was there, the next it was gone."



"Harry opened the door and all that darkness spilled out," explained Hermione. "It was like some sort of water spilling out all over the floor and filling up the landing. It roiled around for a couple of minutes and then jut - drained away."



"A couple of minutes?" repeated Harry. "But Hermione, we were gone for hours!"



"Five minutes, tops," said Ron as he slipped his feet back into his trainers.



"But we found another chamber," said Ginny, frowning slightly. "A stone one, and then that stone corridor with the torches. It took us nearly an hour to climb it!"



"And a courtyard, where we found this," said Harry, holding up the harp.



"Ravenclaw’s harp!" breathed Hermione, reaching out a finger to touch the satiny smooth wood. She paused, her finger mere inches away. "Is it a Horcrux? Should I put the stasis charm on it?"



"It’s all right," said Ginny, reaching out and taking the harp from Harry’s hand. "It’s protected by some very old magic — it has what appears to be a built-in guardian. As long as it stays on the Hogwarts grounds it is perfectly safe."



"But it is a Horcrux, yes," said Harry, taking the harp back from Ginny and holding it up to the light. He could have sworn that for just a moment he could hear the song that had guided him and Ginny down the stone corridor; the sad, mournful tune that spoke of the sadness of the ages. Sadness and longing and, at it’s heart, a hope, however faint, for the future. "A Horcrux," whispered Harry. "A Horcrux and so much more."



 


* * *




Back to index


Chapter 17: THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM











"They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm."


~Dorothy Parker


 


 




CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: The Calm Before The Storm


 


It was very difficult, after everything that had happened in the chambers (had they been actual chambers, or simply alternative spaces, times even?) below Snape’s office to sit quietly in, say, Transfiguration and take copious notes on complex conjuring charms. Even Defense classes, interesting as they were, didn’t seem to take his mind off of what had happened — or what was yet to come.


What was worse was to try to pretend that he had the slightest interest in learning to cast glamour charms that would make him appear (at least to casual observation) to be a tree or a fencepost, when what he really wanted was to be working on dismantling the time-bomb that was sitting quietly on a shelf in the same cabinet that had once housed Dumbledore’s Pensieve.


Professor McGonagall had been duly impressed that they had found another Horcrux, but had seemed even more impressed by the harp itself. She’d held it in her hands for the longest time, gazing at the carvings as if entranced.


"Ravenclaw’s harp, my dear boy, you must know how ancient this is!"


"About the same as the locket?" Harry had suggested, gesturing at the twisted lump of metal that lay on the shelf of the cabinet. He’d brought it here at McGonagall’s recommendation just a few weeks earlier. She had given him express permission to use the cabinet that had once housed Dumbledore’s Pensieve, letting him protect it with whatever spells he thought necessary.


"Heaven’s no!" McGonagall had breathed, sounding genuinely astonished that he could even suggest such a thing. "The locket may be a thousand years old, more even, but the harp goes back for millennia! There are stories . . ." her voice trailed away, sounding awed and overwhelmed. "And you say that He used it as a Horcrux?"


"Yes, that is what the guardian said,"


"Guardian?"


Harry — with frequent interjections by Ginny — had then told her the whole story of following the music and finding the harpist, and what the woman who had called herself Rowena had been able to tell them about how she had come to be where she was and the uses to which her charge had been put.


And now the harp was safely locked up with the locket and Harry couldn’t help but wonder how long it would be before he’d be able to add the cup and the mirror to the items in the cabinet.


Other questions kept plaguing him too, until he felt certain that his brain was going to burst. For one, what had the guardian Rowena meant when she had called him Gryffindor’s heir? Why had Snape used Dumbledore’s password for the door to the final chamber? Better yet, why had he rigged the portal so that only Harry and those he brought with him would be able to pass through? Even more pressing was his need to find and if not destroy, at least to isolate the other two Horcruxes. He had the most pressing feeling that time was running out.’


* * *


Time was running out until the first Quidditch game of the season too, and Ron was quickly running out of patience. To his mind, three practice days before the game were not nearly enough to ensure them a win over Ravenclaw.


"They’re good!" he’d growled furiously when Ginny had brushed off his warning about the new Ravenclaw Chaser, Allison Parker, with a comment about ‘twittering chits.’ "They’re all good, but especially their new Seeker."


Harry had looked around at that. He’d been playing against Cho Chang for so long he had come to take her playing style for granted.


"Who’s the new Seeker?"


"Orla Quirke."


"Orla-"


"Quirke, yeah," said Ron with a grimace. "She’s a third year and she’s good. Best I’ve seen mate, next to you of course. And she’s flying a Cleansweep Eleven, which has nothing on the Firebolt of course, but she’s lighter than you, so you’ll have to keep an eye out."


Slightly taken aback by this warning, Harry had kept on the lookout for the new Ravenclaw Seeker, but didn’t get a good look at her until the morning of the game.


Ron was right, she was good. Just her pre-game warm-up proved her to be an excellent flyer and Harry was hard-pressed to keep ahead of her. In fact, if it hadn’t been for the superior speed of his broom, he might not have beat her to the Snitch. But he managed to snag it just seconds ahead of her grasping hand.


"Experience," Harry said grimly, shaking his head as they changed out of their Quidditch robes in the changing room. "That’s the only thing that I had on her, she is good Ron, better than good, she’s excellent!"


"And she’d never flown at all until she came to Hogwarts," said Ron with a sigh. "Pity she’s in Ravenclaw though. You realize of course that they’re going to have to replace both of us next year."


"Replace us? Why?" Harry wondered, then stopped, chagrined. Of course they’d have to replace them. It was their last year, wasn’t it? He gave Ron a rather sheepish grin. "Sorry, I forgot."


"Thought as much," said Ron, grinning back. "You know what you want to do yet?"


"Do?"


"You know, are you going to follow the career advice you got from McGonagall in fifth year?"


"I don’t know how much advice it was and how much of it was retribution for Umbridge’s interference," said Harry darkly.


"You still want to be an Auror though, yeah?"


Harry shrugged. He’d always thought he wanted to be an Auror. It had always seemed like the kind of thing he’d be good at — the kind of thing he’d be expected to do. But did he really want to be a Dark Wizard catcher? Provided that he was able to survive this upcoming encounter with Voldemort, would he really want to spend the rest of his life chasing after others of the ilk? But what else was there to do?


He supposed he could teach, they’d been using him as a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher in everything but name all of this year and a good part of his fifth year as well. But if Professor Dippet had seen fit to refuse Voldemort a position due to his youth, what made him think that McGonagall would want to hire him on as a full-time teacher? Besides, somehow he couldn’t see himself living at Hogwarts; taking up the solitary bachelor quarters that had belonged to the long list of Defense teachers.


Whenever he thought of the future that rambling stone cottage by the river, Ginny’s face and the laughter of children always seemed to take preeminence in his mind. More than anything else he wanted to make a life with her. He wanted to hear the laughter of children — his and Ginny’s children. He wanted to finish that tree house. But more than anything else he just wanted to be. Not the boy-who-lived, not The Once and Future King or the Heir of Gryffindor. For once in his life he wanted to be Harry; just Harry.


 


* * *


 


To the casual observer passing by the table tucked away in the back of the library it would have appeared that Harry Potter was studying for his Potions final. He had stacks of Potions notes on the table beside him, a number of large, heavy textbooks piled in front of him, spare rolls of parchment, two extra quills and a look of determined concentration on his face. But he wasn’t studying.


Harry should have been reviewing his Potions notes. He needed to review his Potions notes. The term final was coming up and Slughorn had informed them — delicately of course — that no books or notes would be allowed during the test.


"You won’t be allowed any for your N.E.W.T. exams at the end of the year," he’d informed the class just the previous day. "So I think that a bit of practice is in order."


To make matters worse, he wouldn’t even tell them which Potion they’d be expected to complete for the test. Slughorn had instead given them five possibles, telling them that he expected that one of these would be the one he would test on, and that the entire class should make certain they were proficient in the methods for all five.


Harry, however, wasn’t studying for Potions. He wasn’t studying for any of the finals (which were only two weeks away now). He was, instead, trying to work out the whereabouts of the last two Horcruxes. Even more urgently, at least in Harry’s mind, was to figure out once and for all what the Guardian Rowena had meant when she’d called him "Gryffindor’s Heir."




Most beloved of all the stories told, whether by Wizards or Muggles, is that of the One who will reunite the objects of power and use them for the betterment of mankind.


Known to the Muggles as The Once and Future King and in the wizarding world as He Who Will Heal Our Land, the individual spoken of in every account uses the objects, which he has finally reunited at great personal cost, to drive an ancient evil from the world and reunites the warring factions of humanity under a banner of peace and prosperity.


 




Harry read the words he had translated (what seemed like ages ago now) from the original text he had found among Peter’s things for what seemed like the thousandth time.


The Once and Future King.


That sounded familiar. Hadn’t there been a legend about the Once and Future King? It’d had something to do with the stories of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, of that he was quite certain. Something about King Arthur, when he’d been mortally wounded. Someone had taken him away in a boat to a magical island where he was supposed to be resting even now, waiting until the time was right to come back and reunite Britain. Yes. That sounded something like.


But the parchment had made The Once and Future King and He Who Will Heal Our Land out to be the same individual and what was it the guardian Rowena had said?


"If you had not been the right person — the heir of Gryffindor, you would have found yourself stepping not into the portal which led you to me, but into another place where, while no harm would come to you, you would also have nary a hope of obtaining that which you seek."


She had also said that, ". . .I was to remind he who came to collect my charge, that its power, while great on its own, is nothing next to that wielded by all four of the objects on which we founded the Halls of Hogwarts, especially when united by the hand of He Who Will Heal Our Land."


If he was indeed the Heir of Gryffindor (which seemed likely given the fact that he had been able to step through the portal and the door) was it possible that he was also the one who was supposed to heal the land by brining the four objects together in order to drive an ancient evil from the land?


He didn’t know about ancient, but Voldemort was certainly evil enough. But didn’t that imply that whoever defeated Voldemort would need the four objects at his command in order to destroy him? But the Prophecy had said that he would have powers that the Dark Lord ‘knew not’ and which Dumbledore had informed him was nothing more or less than his ability to love.


Perhaps the objects enhanced that power in some way. If it was possible that they could help him in his final confrontation with Lord Voldemort, Harry had even more reason to find the last two Horcruxes.


The Cup and the Mirror.


Harry sighed and bent over a sheet of parchment, scribbling incoherently as Madam Pince squeaked by, her pale eyes swiveling in their sockets, intent on the safety of her precious charges.


The Cup was easy enough. Voldemort had stolen it from Hephzibah Smith when he’d reacquired the locket. It was a safe assumption to say that the Cup (which reportedly had healing powers) had acted a major part in bringing Lord Voldemort back to a real body. Harry’s first instinct was that the Cup had been left at the Riddle estate, or perhaps the Little Hangleton graveyard.


He’d gone back to Little Hangleton with the explicit purpose of finding the cup. He’d found Wormtail, but while Wormtail had eventually pointed him in the direction of the ancient texts that had explained a bit more about the four objects of power, he had not appeared to have any knowledge of the Cup’s whereabouts.


The Mirror now, that was different. He didn’t have a clue where to look. Even Dumbledore . . .well, Dumbledore had said that the only known object belonging to Godric Gryffindor — and he’d been referring to the Sword — was safe. But, come to think of it, that hadn’t been entirely true.


Harry distinctly remembered his first year when the Sorting Hat had sung about the four founders and how Gryffindor had whipped the hat off his head; the four founders had put brains in it and let it sort out the students for them. Technically that would mean that the Hat itself was still an object that had once belonged to Godric Gryffindor; although the Hat too was safe enough in McGonagall’s office.


Perhaps Dumbledore hadn’t known about the mirror? The Four objects of Power were, after all, not much more than a myth. If Harry hadn’t found the old text referring to the objects themselves, he would have thought them no more thought than Lupin had — as words in a children’s skip-rope game; London Bridge is falling down — my fair lady.


What if the cup — like the Locket or the Harp, had been passed down from generation to generation? Father to son; or mother to daughter. Then Dumbledore wouldn’t have known about it. After all, he hadn’t known about the Locket or the Cup until he had seen the memory in which Voldemort had stolen them from Hephzibah. What was to have kept the Mirror from being a family heirloom as well?


Harry frowned what had, when he’d sat down, been a blank piece of parchment. It was covered with scribbles now. Words, pictures; a rough sketch of a harp, a snake with a forked tongue, a lightning bolt, a mirror. Some words were gibberish, but some were legible; locket, cup, harp, mirror. Heirloom? Heir — loom. Something that belonged to the heir of Gryffindor? A mirror that belongs to the heir of Gryffindor. Me = Heir of Gryffindor? Symbolic heir of actual? How can I know?


Harry stared at the last four words, a grin slowly spreading across his face. He might not know, but he would bet his Firebolt that if Hermione didn’t know, she’d be able to find out. The hardest bit would be to convince her that this was important enough to interrupt her studying to finals. He’d just have to convince her is all. Harry shivered inadvertently. He wasn’t entirely certain what would be worse at this point; interrupting Hermione when she was studying for an exam or making any further moves before he knew what exactly he was dealing with. Ah well. No time like the present.


 


* * *


Hermione refused point blank to help him until after their end-of term exams.


"It’s important, Hermione! I need to find this out, as soon as possible."


"Important or not Harry, it can wait until after exams," said Hermione bluntly as she bent over a large stack of Potions notes with an almost obscene enthusiasm. "And it wouldn’t hurt you to do a bit of studying yourself you know."


"Yeah, well, I’m a bit more concerned with finding the Horcruxes at the moment!" Harry tempered. "This has got to be done, Hermione!"


"Look, Harry, I realize this is important — especially to you, and I will help you, I promise, but I have to study!" She gestured hopelessly at the piles of notes stacked in tottering piles all around her.


Harry shrugged and turned to go, feeling disappointed, only to have Hermione’s voice bring him up short.


"Harry, exams are next week. We’ll be done with everything by Thursday. Can you wait that long? Harry, look, I’m staying here for Christmas to be with — I mean, to keep you, Ron and Ginny company," said Hermione, going rather pink. "We can look for it once the holidays start."


"Christmas?" Harry blinked at her. He hadn’t spent a Christmas at Hogwarts since his fourth year but he supposed it made sense. After all both the Burrow and Number Twelve Grimmauld Place were nothing more than piles of rubble at the moment.


"What about Ron’s mom and Dad, and Lupin?" Harry wondered. "Will they be coming here for Christmas?"


"I wouldn’t put it past McGonagall to have half the Order to Hogwarts for Christmas," said Hermione with a small shrug.


"You know, Hermione, I feel stupid for not asking before, but do they have a place to stay? Ron’s mum and dad? I mean, if they need help, their house being gone and all . . ."


"They’ve been staying with members of the Order, that’s all McGonagall will say — for safety’s sake of course. But yes, they’re coming for Christmas."


"Well, at least they have a place to stay," said Harry heavily. Somehow, the thought of facing Mrs. Weasley, of knowing that her beautiful house was gone, all their things, all their years worth of memories; made his insides roil with guilt."


"It’s not your fault, Harry," said Hermione, putting a hand on his arm.


"Hermione, if it wasn’t for me-"


"Oh don’t start that, Harry!" snapped Hermione, rounding on him angrily. "Wallowing in guilt isn’t going to help anyone! You of all people should know that! Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were targets long before they met you, and now they’re members of the Order. Voldemort would have gone after them sooner or later. Just be glad that they got enough warning to get out before the place was leveled!"


Harry shrugged. What was he supposed to say? She was right, as usual. But he couldn’t shake a creeping feeling of dread. As bad as the destruction of Grimmauld Place and the Burrow had been, there was worse coming, much worse. He could feel it.


* * *


 


Harry threw himself into reviewing for the end-of-term exams with a fervor that took everyone by surprise. In truth, his sudden and intense interest in academics had absolutely nothing to do with a desire to get a good score and everything to do with keeping his mind off of the last two Horcruxes.


Well, maybe not everything. Like Hermione, Ginny was also immersed in studying for her end-of-term exams and Harry, knowing how important they were to her, didn’t want to distract her — too much.


"Come on Harry! Do you realize just how many notes I still have to go through?" Ginny moaned as Harry cornered her in the library on Sunday afternoon.


"Do you realize just how blind you’ll be if you try to get through all of those tonight?" Harry countered, thumbing through a stack of parchment notes stacked on the library table.


"Too late," said Ginny fretfully, rubbing at her forehead. "My eyes are already crossing."


"Then take a break. Come on, Gin, let’s take this stuff back up to the common room. We’ll take a walk around the castle before you tackle the rest of this."


"I’m too weak to walk," said Ginny with a mock pout.


"That’s because you skipped supper. Come on. We’ll stop at the common room first. I’ll get my cloak and then go down to the kitchens."


After they’d eaten plates of beef stew and steaming hot biscuits slathered in butter while sitting by the roaring kitchen fire and had drunk tankards full of hot Butterbeer presented to them by a beaming Dobby, Harry and Ginny took a leisurely stroll around some of the least used corridors, taking full advantage of some of the quieter corners to get some serious snogging in but was as good as his word and had her back in the common room before ten.


From his squash armchair by the fire, Harry watched her surreptitiously over the rim of his copy of Advanced Potion Making as she, Colin and several other sixth years drilled each other on Charms notes.


Just being in the same room with her made him feel calm, content even. The way her hair gleamed in the firelight, the quick sure movement of her hands as she flipped through pages or made notes with her quill mesmerized him. He wasn’t aware that he had dozed off until he felt her arms around his neck and the warm weight of her on his lap.


"You didn’t have to wait up for me," she said reprovingly, but there was a smile in her voice that said she was glad that he had.


"I’d wait forever for you," Harry whispered, pulling her closer. It was a sappy thing to say, he knew it the moment the words left his lips, but he meant it, god how he meant it! And, from the way Ginny’s eyes glistened darkly in the firelight, she felt it too.


"Harry," she whispered, leaning closer so that he could feel the softness of her breasts pressing against his arm and the brush of her long, silken hair against his neck, "you don’t have to wait."


And she kissed him, her lips soft and warm against his mouth, his throat, his chest. Her hands were like silk against his skin and the flowery scent of her hair rose like a nimbus around them; filling his head; driving out all rational thought. It no longer mattered that he could be killed tomorrow, or that he had no clue where to start looking for the next Horcrux. It didn’t even matter that they were in the middle of the Gryffindor common room in plain view of the stairways to both the boys and girls dormitories, all that mattered was the girl in his arms.


 


 



Back to index


Chapter 18: Approaching Center








"Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery."


J.K.Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire



 




CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Approaching Center



 


"Harry, how much do you know about your family, Harry?" asked Hermione curiously.



It was early Friday afternoon and the common room was very nearly deserted. Of Gryffindor House only Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Harry were remaining at Hogwarts over Christmas. From the looks of the Great Hall at lunchtime only about a dozen students total were staying over. Everyone who possibly could go home had left on the Hogwarts Express that morning, and Harry couldn’t blame them.



People were scared. Not only had there been an increase in attacks on Muggle-borns and Muggle-sympathizers, but during the last week the Daily Prophet had been reporting a rash of dark creature attacks all over the country. The Daily Prophet was reporting Vampire and Werewolf attacks on an almost daily basis. Seamus had been receiving daily letters from his mother, who seemed close to hysterics due to the sudden increase in deaths related to wayward banshees (of whom she was deathly afraid) and the Muggle Health Services was reporting a higher than usual infant death rate in the Southeast which the Prophet was calling ‘Alleged Hag Attacks’.



And it wasn’t only in Britain that Dark Creatures seemed to be stirring. Jamaican wizards were hunting a Lethifold which was supposedly responsible for over 14 deaths in two weeks and East African wizards were going frantic trying to subdue a Nundu which had wiped out three whole villages and a buss-load of European tourists in the last four days.



Especially frightening, at least in Harry’s opinion, were the severe weather fluctuations that had been occurring in the last few weeks and which Ministry experts were attributing to the feeding frenzy of Juvenile Dementors. Stretches of dry weather and sudden storm surges had not been uncommon. But by far the oddest of these events had been a temperature spike that had occurred after sunset one day in mid-November.



Muggle weathermen had been at a loss to explain the sudden surge in air temperature but the Daily Prophet had quoted a Ministry spokesman for the Department for the Control and Regulation of Magical Creatures as attributing the spike to a sudden increase in the energy intake of the Juvenile Dementors.



According to Hermione the Juveniles would go through four stages before reaching adult-hood and it was her opinion (and an informed one as far as Harry was concerned, given the amount of reading Hermione did in any particular week) that the temperature spike had marked the passage of the young Dementors from the first to the second of these four stages, a prospect that scared him more than he was willing to admit.



Nothing was entirely certain any more, and without Dumbledore, even Hogwarts was not seen as the safe haven that it had once been considered. It was little wonder that wizarding families wanted to spend as much time with their children as was possible. So it was no surprise that they were the only Gryffindors who hadn’t gone home for the holidays.



Harry stared at Hermione, nonplussed.



"Hermione, what?"



"How much do you know about your parents?" Hermione asked again, her forehead furrowed.



Harry wracked his brain, trying to recall anything in the last hour’s conversation (which, as far as he could recall had been all about the juvenile Dementors and the increase in Dark creature attacks) that had had anything to do with his parents. True, he’d asked Hermione Thursday evening if she knew anything about who the Heir of Gryffindor could be – telling her everything that Rowena had said and everything that he’d been able to cobble together so far. She’d said that she’d have to look into it and had promptly disappeared into the library. Harry hadn’t seen her again until this morning at breakfast. He’d assumed that she would have answers – not barrage him with questions.



"Er . . ." said Harry unhelpfully.



"Show her your photo album mate," said Ron, nudging Harry in the ribs with his fork.



"I know what they looked like Ron," said Hermione scathingly and Ron shrugged, digging into the apple pie he’d liberated from the kitchens with nearly indecent enthusiasm. "What I mean," she said, turning back to Harry, "is what do you know about them?"



"Er . . .they were a witch and wizard," began Harry, feeling completely flummoxed.


"My dad played Quidditch and my mum was really good at Potions-"



"And Charms," interjected Ginny helpfully.



"Yeah, well, my dad and mum were in the same year. She hated him for the longest time and they finally started dating in their seventh year. They got married after they left school."



"He wore her down," said Ginny conversationally.



Hermione ignored her. "Anything else?"



"Well, my dad liked to show off," said Harry, feeling the heat creep up his neck as he recalled the memory he had seen in the Pensieve. "And sometimes he’d jinx people for no good reason. But he saved Snape’s life once, so he wasn’t all bad."



"Of course he wasn’t," said Hermione quietly. She paused for a moment, then added, "Harry, how much do you know about your parents’ families?"



"My mum was Muggle-born," said Harry slowly. "But my Aunt Petunia said that their parents were really proud of having a witch in the family. I never knew my mum’s parents. They died before I was born. I didn’t know my dad’s either for that matter. All I know about my Dad’s side of the family is that they were Purebloods and that his parents sort of adopted Sirius as a surrogate son after he ran away from home."



"That’s it?" asked Hermione, her voice had a note of pity in it that Harry didn’t understand.



"What else is there to know?"



"Aren’t you curious at all?" asked Hermione seriously. "I mean, didn’t it ever occur to you to wonder-"



"Of course I’ve wondered," snapped Harry. "I never got around to asking Sirius or Dumbledore about them. I always thought there’d be time. But there isn’t exactly anyone I can ask about my parents now, is there?"



He’d meant to sting her, but she gave him a look of infinite patience.



"Harry, you could have found out about them any time you wanted."



"How do you figure?" said Harry bluntly. "What was I supposed to do, just walk up to someone and say, ‘hey, you, tell me about the Potters?’"



"Which ones?" said Ron.



Harry stared at him, certain that it was some sort of joke.



"What do you mean, which ones?" said Harry suspiciously when Ron failed to crack a smile.



"Harry, you know that the Weasley family is Pureblood," said Ginny quietly. "Well, there’s only a handful of families that are pureblood anymore. Our family of course, the Bones, the Malfoys, the LeStranges, the Prewetts – well, I guess the Prewetts died off, didn’t they?" she said looking at Ron.



"Yeah, the Prewetts used to be one of the biggest Pureblood families," said Ron, nodding. "The Prewetts were mum’s family. She had so many aunts and uncles we could never keep track of them all. But in her immediate family it was just two sons and one daughter – that was mum of course, she was the youngest. Mum married my dad, who also happened to be a Pureblood, but from a different family."



"What happened to your mum’s brothers?" Harry wondered idly.



"They died fighting You-Know-Who the first time he came to power, didn’t they?" said Ron flatly.



Harry felt a twinge. Gideon and Fabian Prewett died like heroes. Who had told him that? Had it been Moody, or Dumbledore? He’d never made the connection though, between the Prewett brothers and Molly Weasley.



"Anyway," said Ginny gently, "the Potters used to be considered one of the oldest and most respected Pureblood wizarding families."



"And very powerful, magically speaking," put in Hermione.



"Everyone knows about the Potters," said Ron bluntly. "I mean, there was Alexander Potter, he would have been like your great grandfather. He had, what was it Hermione, six sons?"



"And two daughters," added Hermione, nodding.



"Yeah, and they all went on to become really famous and important people," continued Ron, warming to his subject. "Nearly everyone can tell you the names of the six sons of Alexander Potter."



"Sort of like the six wives of Henry the VIII?" said Harry with a wry smile.



"Not that far off actually," said Hermione seriously. "Only Alexander didn’t arrange to have any of his children killed."



"Well, there was always the rumor about Marquis," interjected Ron.



"A rumor," said Hermione, waving a hand dismissively. "Marquis, Alexander’s fifth son disappeared without a trace. People always start rumors about things like that. The thing is, if they’d done any sort of research, they would have quickly learned that old Alexander had been dead nearly five years when Marquis and Celestia disappeared."



"Yeah, well, it’s still fishy," muttered Ron. "The pair of them disappearing like that.



"Not really," said Hermione offhandedly. "I mean, have you ever seen the disappearance records?"



"The what?" said Ron and Harry together.



"The disappearance records," repeated Hermione, her voice now tinged with exasperation. "Honestly, don’t either of you ever read? The Ministry keeps detailed accounts of witches and wizards who have just up and disappeared. It happens all the time."



"Name one!" challenged Ron.



"Bertha Jorkins," said Hermione immediately.



"Well, we know what happened to her!" said Ron defensively.



"Yes, we do, but there is no official record of her death. It is believed that Voldemort killed her, but no one actually saw it happen, all we have are second hand accounts."



"And the testimony of Barty Crouch Jr.," Harry reminded her.



"Yes, but that hardly does any good when he’s now in the Long Term ward at St. Mungo’s," replied Hermione tartly.



Harry stared at her. "Are you telling me," he said slowly, "that one of the men who is directly responsible for torturing the Longbottoms into insanity is now sharing a ward with them?"



"But it’s not like he knows who they are," she said quickly. "How could he? I mean, after the Dementors kiss. . ." she shivered, rubbing her hands up and down her arms for warmth.



"But they could know him," Harry pointed out. "I mean, Neville’s mum seemed to know Neville right enough."



"Only because he’s been visiting them ever since he was little. I don’t think she realizes that Neville is her son, not really."



"Speaking of sons," said Harry, turning to Ron, "Can you really name them all? All Alexander’s children I mean?"



"Sure," said Ron, shrugging. "There was Charles, Anthony, Damocles, Duncan, Marquis and Lazarus. Charles was Minister of Magic for about six years. Anthony was a Professor here at Hogwarts for a good bit, he taught Ancient Runes for about ten years or so. Damocles was one of the best known Aurors ever. It may have been Dumbledore who defeated Grindlewald back in 1944, but according to all accounts it was Damocles Potter who was responsible for the information that led to his discovery. They were great cronies from all accounts."



Harry, who had just taken a swallow of his drink choked, spraying Butterbeer all over the hearthrug. "Damocles was great cronies with Voldemort?"



"Don’t be stupid. It was Dumbledore he was friends with. Anyway, then there was Duncan, he was a curse-breaker for Gringotts, just like Bill – you should hear the stories Bill can tell about him! Then of course Marquis,"



"The one who disappeared," said Harry nodding. "And Lazarus?"



"A well-respected Healer."



"With a name like that he’d have to be exceptionally good," murmured Ginny, eliciting laughter all around.



"That’s six," said Harry, frowning slightly. "What about the other two, the daughters?"



"Er . . ." Ron glanced sideways at Hermione, his ears going rather pink. "I . . . er . . .don’t know the girls’ names."



"Typical," murmured Hermione and Ginny at the same time, then looked at each other and giggled.



"Honestly, Ron, you’ve heard of both of the Potter girls," said Hermione sweetly


"I know you have. There was Calliope, she married a boy from the Randolph family."



"Not the Calliope Randolph?" said Ron in awe. "Not the one who was the star reporter for the Daily Prophet way back?"



"Exactly," said Hermione looking smug.



"Cor!" breathed Ron, turning to talk to Harry, an amazed expression still firmly fixed on his face. "She was the first woman reporter for the Daily Prophet and could she write! Not only that, she covered some of the most sensational stories of that day. She was on the scene at the defeat of Grindelwald. That was an incredible piece of writing, let me tell you! Few years back the Prophet put together a book of her articles, sort of a compilation of the best stuff she did. Dad’s got a copy, I’m sure he’d lend it to you."



"Then there was Eunice," continued Hermione, her eye fixed on Ron as she spoke. "You’d know her better as Eunice Murray of course."



Ron gaped at her, but it was Ginny who spoke. "Eunice Murray, the Seeker for the Montrose Magpies?"



Hermione nodded. "Only the most successful Quidditch team in History."



"Two times European Champions!" gasped Ron, looking thunderstruck. "And they won the British and Irish League thirty two times! Eunice, wasn’t she the one who asked for a faster Snitch?" he said, looking around at Ginny, who nodded, grinning broadly.



"A faster Snitch?" asked Harry skeptically.



"Yeah," said Ron, exchanging a grin with Ginny. "She said she’d like a faster one because-"



"This is just too easy," said Ron, Hermione and Ginny all together.



"So what happened to them all?" wondered Harry aloud. "I mean, there were six sons and two daughters, you’d think that some of them, or at least their descendents, would be around."



Hermione sighed and gave Harry a look of pity. "Well, you know about Marquis of course, but Charles, the oldest, he was assassinated in office in 1939."



"Assassinated?" said Harry, dumbfounded. "By who?"



"No one knows," said Hermione. "But since he was found in a locked room and there were signs of a struggle . . ." her voice trailed off.



"Just like Madam Bones," muttered Harry distractedly.



"And then it turned out that his family, all of them except for his youngest son Charlus, were killed in the same night." Hermione was watching Harry, waiting for his reaction.



"They think it was Grindelwald?" wondered Harry.



"It would make sense," said Ron with a shrug. "He was at the height of his power then, and Charles was a double target – a Potter and the Minister of Magic. They didn’t have as good of security measures then as they do now."



Harry opened his mouth to ask why being a Potter would have made Charles a target, but before he could Hermione had picked up her thread. "And then Anthony died in the Hogsmeade raid of 1941."



"What Hogsmeade raid?" said Harry quickly.



"The Hogsmeade raid of 1941," said Hermione patiently, "was covered in our History of Magic class, fifth year."



"Er . . .it was?"



"I’ll grant you that it was probably during one of the classes when you and Ron were playing hangman, but still . . ." Hermione gave a disapproving sniff.



Harry shifted uncomfortably in his chair. He had failed his History of Magic O.W.L. and while he’d had a very good excuse for not finishing the exam, he probably would have gotten that question wrong anyway; there had been a lot going on fifth year. He’d had more important things to worry about than memorizing the dates of Goblin rebellions and Giant wars.



"It was a nasty bit of business," interjected Ginny helpfully. "Grindelwald’s supporters attacked the village on a Hogsmeade weekend. They killed over a hundred students and six teachers as well as dozens of villagers."



Harry shivered. He missed going into Hogsmeade on weekends, but he understood the reason that the visits had been suspended. Obviously the Board of Governors wasn’t about to risk the students when there was another Dark Wizard loose.



"Calliope was the third child and oldest daughter," continued Hermione. "She reported the downfall of Grindelwald, but she was killed just a few weeks later by some of his surviving supporters in retaliation for her unflattering representation of their leader."



"Sounds like something Malfoy would do," said Harry bitterly. "What about the others?"



"Well, Damocles and Lazarus both died in the final battle that led to the capture and defeat of Grindelwald himself. Damocles had been assigned to Hogwarts for extra protection and Lazarus was just visiting his brother when the attack came. Damocles had never married, but Lazarus had a wife -no children though. His wife remarried about a year after Lazarus died. She was supposed to be really distraught – gave up magic and everything. She married a Muggle ambassador and moved to somewhere in Sweden I think. She died with her Muggle husband in an airplane crash about twenty years ago."



"Sounds like nearly all the Potters died while dealing with Dark Wizards," said Harry glumly. "Or because of Dark Wizards," he added.



"Except for Duncan . He ran into a Sphinx that was guarding one of the tombs he was trying to break into. This was back in the twenties. He was very young – only about twenty-eight when he died. And Charlus, that was Charles’ youngest son, he was away, traveling when his family was attacked. He survived, in fact he married into the Black family."



"The Black family?"



"Yeah, Dorea Black, she was one of Phineas Nigellus’s grandchildren."



"A wonder she wasn’t struck from the family tree," said Harry bitterly, remembering the look on Sirius’s face when he’d mimed his name being blasted off the hideous tapestry his mother had kept secured to the parlor wall with a permanent sticking charm.



"The Potters were Purebloods though," Hermione pointed out. "So it would have been quite the suitable marriage."



"So you’re telling me that Sirius and I were, like, cousins or something?"



"The easiest way to explain it would be to say that you were distant relations; very distant relations. Something like 3rd cousins twice removed or something. But most of the Pureblood families are interrelated somewhere. I’m sure if you could get your hands on a Potter family tree you’d see that you’re related to nearly all the Pureblood wizarding families at some point."



"Well then, what about the youngest girl, the Quidditch player?"



"She and her husband were found dead in their home the summer before Grindelwald’s defeat," said Hermione sadly. "She was twenty six years old. Turns out she was three months pregnant too. She was very outspoken against anything to do with the Dark Arts. Someone must have figured she was just too much bother."



"So they’re all gone," said Harry quietly. He knew the others were looking at him, he could feel their pity almost like a weight against the back of his neck. "Which –which was . . ." he couldn’t say it, he just couldn’t.



Ginny slipped out her chair and came up behind Harry, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Marquis and his wife Celestia were your father’s parents, Harry," she said quietly. "Your father, James, was their only son."



"And Voldemort killed them too?" said Harry. He could feel the old familiar anger boiling away inside of him.



"There’s no proof that Marquis and Celestia were killed by Voldemort or anyone else for that matter," said Hermione quickly.



"But if it was just weeks before my parents were killed-" began Harry.



"According to The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts, Marquis and Celestia were on holiday on the continent when they disappeared," Hermione pointed out. "It could have been Voldemort or his followers of course, but there really is nothing suspicious or sinister about their deaths Harry."



"If they’re dead," murmured Harry.



"They were declared dead seven years ago in accordance with Statute 64E of the Lifeclaims Litigation of 1793," said Hermione briskly.



"Try that again," said Harry, frowning at her. "In English this time."



"After ten years a person or persons who have gone missing are declared legally dead and their estate is settled among their beneficiaries," explained Hermione, talking rapidly.



"Beneficiaries?" said Harry curiously.



"Well, in this case, since you’re parents are dead, it would have passed to you," said Hermione, shrugging.



"What would have passed to me?" said Harry blankly.



"Your grandparents estate of course," said Hermione briskly. "According to Decisions of the Wizengamont, 1990 edition, the Potter estate was settled "in favor of the beneficiary of the beneficiary" – that’s you."



Harry stared at her, trying to digest the amount of research she had done into his family. He wasn’t even aware that such a thing as Decisions of the Wizengamot existed.



"So," he said slowly. "The gold in my Gringotts account is not only from my parents, but from my grandparents?"



"It would appear that way," said Hermione with a shrug.



"At least you’ve got a Gringotts vault," said Ron, scowling into the fire.



"You could open an account," Hermione pointed out.



"With what?" said Ron flatly. "No good opening an account until I have something to put in it, Hermione."



Harry and Hermione exchanged glances. This was an old subject – Ron had always been a bit touchy about money, or rather, his lack of it.



"Anyway," said Ginny quickly, "the whole point of Harry’s knowing about his family was what, Hermione?"



"Well, there are rumors," said Hermione slowly.



"Rumors?" said Harry blankly.



"About you’re family – about their . . .er . . .origins," finished Hermione.



"What, are we descended from Hedgehogs or something, Hermione?" laughed Harry.



"Of course not," said Hermione primly. "And I don’t like repeating rumors – there may be nothing to them after all, but it would explain why Voldemort was so desperate to wipe you’re family out." Hermione fell silent, staring at her fingernails as if they were the most interesting items she had ever looked at.



"Come on, Hermione, we’re dying of suspense here," said Ginny laughingly.



"Well, all right, but remember Harry, this isn’t provable fact, it’s just speculation." Hermione sighed, twisted her hands a bit, then said, "It is possible that the Potters – that’s you now Harry, are the last direct descendents of Godric Gryffindor."



Harry waited for nearly a whole minute before he realized that no one was going to tell him that this was a joke.



"You’re not serious," he said finally, looking at Hermione with incredulity. "I mean, you’re right, it would explain Voldemort’s obsession with the Potters. It would also explain why that Ravenclaw woman called me the Heir of Gryffindor, but my last name is Potter, Hermione, not Gryffindor. Isn’t that sort of a giveaway?"



"Not necessarily," said Hermione slowly. "I mean, there used to be a Gryffindor line – he had several children after all, but they the last of the Gryffindors died childless over four hundred years ago."



"Well there you go then," said Harry, shrugging.



"He also had a daughter though," said Hermione thoughtfully. "She was Gryffindor’s youngest child. And while the history books chronicle the lives of Gryffindor’s male heirs, they barely mention Enid except to say that she was born just before the official opening of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. And there is nothing about who she married or anything; nothing official, anyway."



"So you think I could be related to Gryffindor through his daughter, what was her name, Enid?" said Harry skeptically.



"I don’t know, Harry, I’m just repeating the rumors. What we need is a copy of the Potter family tree but that would be next to impossible."



"There’s books on Genealogy in the library," Harry pointed out. "Loads of them, Madam Pince could probably tell you where to find a copy."



"I already asked her," said Hermione sharply. "She says that according to certain references she has access to, Alexander Potter had the last copy of the Potter family tree – it was never published you see, for years the genealogy was passed down from parent to child and they were very protective of it, never letting anyone outside of the family catch so much as a glimpse of it."



"Weird," said Ron, frowning as he picked at a worn spot in the armchair in which he sat.



"Yeah," put in Harry. "Why all the secrecy? I mean, all the other Pureblood families seem to be really proud of their ancestry. Look at Sirius’s mum, she had that damned tapestry attached to her parlor wall with a permanent sticking charm!"



"Maybe they were just paranoid," suggested Ginny, resting her chin on the top of Harry’s head. "You know, protective of their privacy, something like that."



"Maybe there’s more to it then that," said Hermione thoughtfully. "Something about the family tree that they didn’t want seen."



"Like them being the direct descendents of Gryffindor?" Harry wondered idly.



"Or maybe there was a Dark Creature that married into the line somewhere," said Ron excitedly. "You know, a werewolf maybe, or a vampire."



"I was thinking more along the line of an incubus," murmured Ginny, her lips warm on Harry’s neck.



Harry ignored Ron’s groan of disgust and pulled her onto his lap, kissing her soundly.



"Like I said, what we need is to get our hands on a copy of the Potter family tree," put in Hermione.



"Well, that takes care of that then," said Harry with a laugh. "My parents house was destroyed, Hermione, even if they’d had a copy of this family tree it would only be so much ash by now."



"It wouldn’t have been destroyed by a fire," said Hermione slowly. "Something that important? They would have put some serious protection charms on it – they might not have even kept it in the house. I would have thought they’d have put it somewhere safe – Gringotts maybe, or given it to someone they could trust when they went into hiding – like they did with their key to their Gringotts vault, or your dad’s invisibility cloak."



"The scroll!" shouted Ron so suddenly that all of them started in surprise.



"Ron, what?" said Harry and Hermione together as Ginny tumbled off Harry’s lap with a quiet "Damn!"



"The scroll Harry, in the box Dumbledore gave you – you said you could feel the box, maybe that was the enchantment or something! I bet you anything that scroll is a copy of the family tree!"



Harry sprinted up the spiral staircase, grabbed the box engraved with the ivory inlaid leaves from the carton under his desk and bolted back down to the common room at breakneck speed.



"Oh!" breathed Hermione, running her fingers appreciatively over the intricately carved patterns in the box. "It’s beautiful, Harry!" She passed the box to Ginny who took it gingerly.



"Should I?" asked Ginny.



Harry nodded, watching as she lifted the lid and removed the thick, creamy parchment scroll from its nest of red velvet and untied the red and gold ribbons.



"Gryffindor’s colors," said Ron, sounding rather excited. "Looking good, Harry!"



Ginny handed the scroll out to Harry who knelt down on the hearthrug, spreading it out so that they could all get a good look at it.



There wasn’t much to see. Or rather, there was so much to see that none of could be seen clearly. The names printed so neatly in scarlet ink were so minuscule that even squinting didn’t seem to do any good.



"Well, it’s definitely a family tree," said Ron, pointing to the hundreds of tiny boxes, each of which appeared to contain a name and a date and were connected to each other by barely visible gold lines. "But a bloody lot of good it’s going to do us if we can’t read it!"



"Honestly," said Hermione in exasperation. "Anyone would think that the lot of you had been enrolled in Eaton for the last six years." Whipping out her wand she pointed it at the unrolled parchment. "Engorgio," she muttered, and suddenly the four of them found themselves kneeling on a corner of a family tree that was the size of a carpet.



They scrambled off, just in time to have Hermione whip the parchment out from under them with another flick of her wand. She guided it to one wall, where she attached it at eye level with a quick sticking spell. They all stood back, taking in hundreds of interconnecting names with something like amazement.



"Look there!" said Hermione, her voice breathless with excitement. "There at the top, see the first set of names? I knew it! It explains everything!"



Harry squinted up at the two small and lonely boxes at the top of the tree. The name Enid Gryffindor was connected by a double gold thread to Henry Potter. It was true then; the Potters were direct descendents of Godric Gryffindor which made him –



"The Heir of Gryffindor," he murmured, touching the small box all by itself at the bottom of the parchment.



Harry James Potter


b. 1980 –



Harry wasn’t aware that he had spoken aloud until he realized that the other three were all staring at him.



"Er . . .Hermione, what did you mean, that it explains everything?"



"The blood feud, Harry, between Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor, that’s why Voldemort chose you as a baby. He wanted the Gryffindor line finished – well, now since the Potters are the last living descendents of Godric Gryffindor, I guess that falls on you."



"Blood feud?" said Harry blankly. "Wait, don’t tell me, this is something else that I missed because I was playing hangman in History of Magic?"



"No, Harry, I – hold on, I’ll be right back." Without a word of explanation Hermione leapt to her feet and went tearing up the staircase to the Girls’ dormitories.



Before Harry had a chance to do more than exchange bemused looks with Ron and Ginny, Hermione was back, a large book which he recognized as being Hermione’s personal copy of Hogwarts; A History, tucked under her arm.



"Here," she said, as she flipped through the pages feverishly. "I read it in here years ago." A moment later she stood back, her finger pointing to a block of text quite near to the beginning of the book.



 






And so the differences between the founders grew. Salazar Slytherin undermining the authority of the other three; sewing seeds of discord among the students and encouraging the students of his own house in acts of outright hostility against the students of other houses, and particularly against those students who had the taint of Muggle blood.



His aim, no doubt, was to follow through on his own belief of the need of a Blood Purge amongst the magical community. Eliminating the magical community of all Muggle-borns and reducing those of mixed parentage to a lower social standing (particularly denying them more then a basic magical education, reserving higher magical learning strictly for those of Pureblood houses), he insisted, was the only way to reclaim the true power of our Magical Heritage.



At last, tired of the continual struggle, Godric Gryffindor, with the support of his fellow founders Rowena Ravenclaw and Helga Hufflepuff voted to break ties with Salazar Slytherin and his agenda of Magical Blood Cleansing.



Forced at wandpoint to leave the castle, Salazar Slytherin vowed to revenge himself on the founders, particularly on Godric Gryffindor, whom he saw as the progenitor of his banishment.



As the castle gates closed behind him the hundreds who had assembled to see him go heard Slytherin’s final words:



"In spite of what you do, my noble aim will be brought to pass, and I curse you for not seeing the truth of it! The lives of the three will be shortened for their conspiracy, but on Godric alone, I lay claim to his seed for generations as a tribute to mine own humiliation, and though I die before the deed is done, I vow on the blood of mine own house that until the last of Godric Gryffindor’s line is dead, neither me nor mine shall have rest in this world or the next."



Though it is true that all three of the remaining founders died early deaths, there is nothing to prove that any of the deaths was in any way related to Slytherins curse.



The blood feud between the houses of Slytherin and Gryffindor though were real enough, for Salazar Slytherins heirs took his words to heart. As a result, the pages of history are red with Gryffindor blood spilled at the hands of Slytherin’s heirs. Underhanded attacks, poisonings, even a case of a seduction of one of Gryffindor’s granddaughters by a great-grandson of Salazar Slytherin, which resulted in her most brutal and public murder.



As a result of this most ancient of feuds, both the lines of Salazar Slytherin and of Godric Gryffindor were, over the years, severely reduced in number. There are rumors that the Gryffindor blood lives on in the Potter family line; into which Enid Gryffindor (Godric’s youngest child and only daughter) is rumored to have married. But since no concrete evidence of this union has ever been uncovered, there is no way to prove or disprove this theory.







Harry finished reading the passage, then glanced back at the family tree tacked up on the wall in front of him.



"Some rumor," he muttered, looking at the lone name printed at the bottom of the tree.



His was the only square that didn’t have a date of death neatly printed beside the date of birth. This was the end. He, Harry, represented the last of the Gryffindor line, just as Voldemort was the last living heir of Salazar Slytherin.



Harry swallowed. He’d always known that he didn’t have any living relatives besides the Dursleys, but somehow, seeing it in black and white like this (or scarlet and white rather) brought it home with a rather nasty jolt. They were all gone. He was alone.



You’re not alone, Harry.



He put his hand to his ear, touching the disc before he realized that he hadn’t actually heard her voice. The voice, Ginny’s voice, had been in his head. He met her eyes and saw something there that made his mouth go dry. There was a fierce, blazing look on her face that he’d seen before, a look that booked no argument.



When this is over there will be another name on this sheet, Harry. Yours and mine will be linked by a double golden line. And we’ll break the curse by starting another sheet – a fresh piece of parchment with our own names at the top.



To Ron and Hermione’s surprise, Harry threw his head back, laughing wildly as he pulled Ginny into his arms.



"God I love you Ginny Weasley," he murmured, and he meant it. Just then, with Ginny in his arms and his friends at his side, he felt as if he could conquer the world.



 



Back to index


Chapter 19: The Color of Christmas




"Blood is the god of war’s rich livery."


~Christopher Marlowe


 


 


CHAPTER NINETEEN: The Color of Christmas


 


 


Mr. and Mrs. Weasley arrived the next morning with a suitcase each and several large and interesting looking bundles (which Harry suspected were full of gifts), the bad news that Lucius Malfoy had been spirited out of Azkaban ("not that we weren’t expecting it!" Mr. Weasley had told him grimly) and poor old Errol in a cage. They would be staying for a week and were promptly given one of the most comfortable guestrooms, which were located down by the kitchens off the same stone hallway that led to the Hufflepuff common room.


Mr. Weasley had letters from Bill, Charlie and the twins all assuring their parents that they would be up to Hogwarts to spend Christmas day with their family and a curt note from Percy declining his mother’s invitation to join them and which, (McGonagall assured Harry privately) was probably for the best, seeing as that a good number of the Order had accepted her offer of Christmas dinner at Hogwarts.


Ron had been worried that having his parents (particularly his mother) at Hogwarts for an entire week would be more than he could reasonably stand, but all his fears turned out to be unfounded. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley divided their time fairly evenly between their own guestroom down by the kitchens, taking long walks around the grounds hand-in-hand like a pair of teenagers or chatting with the other teachers and staff in the living area full of squashy armchairs that Professor McGonagall had conjured up in one corner of the Great Hall beside one of the larger Christmas trees.


As Christmas came closer, more and more order members began arriving at the castle and the corridors were no longer as empty as they had been and it was no longer a shock to walk around a corner and find Mad Eye Moody talking intently to Professor McGonagall or to walk into a deserted classroom and find a small knot of witches and wizards conversing in low and earnest tones.


Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny began spending more time in their own common room and dormitories, although this was hardly a hardship, seeing as that one common room and seven boys dormitories were more than large enough for two couples to loose themselves in.


It was an odd sensation to be able to wake up in the same bed as Ginny and not have to worry about her sneaking back to her own dormitory before someone found out. And Harry found that it was a sensation he liked entirely too much. How on earth was he going to be able to go back to sleeping in his four poster all by himself?


"Who said you’ll have to be by yourself?" retorted Ginny one afternoon about two days before Christmas. They were standing, wrapped in the comforter that had been stripped from Harry’s bed, looking out the window at the fat, goose-feather like flakes that were drifting slowly down out of a slate-gray sky.


The four of them had retired to the common room after a long lunch (during which Mrs. Weasley had regaled them all with stories of her own Hogwarts days), with the excuse that Harry and Ron wanted to continue a Wizard’s Chess game they were in the middle of.


It was a days old game – they’d been using the excuse with some regularity, but somehow never seemed to get more than a move or two in each before they became distracted. Not that anyone was complaining.


"Yeah, well, I suppose you can keep coming up as a cat," said Harry, pulling her closer under the comforter.


"I wasn’t talking about school, silly," murmured Ginny, brushing her lips lightly against his chest.


Harry’s grip tightened instinctively and Ginny giggled as he ran his hands down the length of her, making her squirm as he brushed her ticklish sides.


"I was talking about after," she said softly, putting one hand on his cheek and turning his face so that he was looking at her. "When all of this is over and we won’t have to be apart, ever again."


Harry turned his head away, looking out the window again to hide his rapidly blinking eyes.


"Don’t start that again, Harry," she said reasonably, wrapping her arms around him and pulling him closer. "You’ll end this, I know you will, and we’ll start over."


"Yeah, but Gin, you still have a year of school left," Harry pointed out.


"There have been married students at Hogwarts before," said Ginny with a shrug.


"Ginny, what?"


"I’ll be seventeen in August, Harry. We could get a room in Hogsmeade until I'’ done with my seventh year.""


"Would you parents," Harry stopped, looked down at her, and grinned. "Would McGonagall go for it? I mean, just because it’s been done before doesn’t mean she’d be willing to go for it now."


"No use worrying about it now, anyway," said Ginny, shrugging in a way that brought even more of her body in contact with his. Harry could feel his ability to reason quickly slipping away. "It may take you longer than another year to track down the last two Horcruxes – let alone track down Voldemort himself, in which case, I’ll be waiting for you when it’s all over. But if things were to come to a head sooner than that, and provided Hogwarts doesn’t get leveled in the process or something, I don’t see how McGonagall or anyone else would be able to see their way clear to denying you anything you asked, let alone something like letting your wife finish her final year at Hogwarts."


Not having to wait another whole year to be with Ginny? It was more than he could have hoped for. But the thought of what he might have to face between now and then made him shiver involuntarily. But then Ginny was snuggling against him with a contented sort of sigh and Harry found all worries about the end of the holidays – or anything beyond right here and now melting away. He’d worry about that later, he had more important things to do, like-


"Harry!"


Ginny’s hands had grasped his wrists in an almost painful grip.


Harry looked up, startled by her tone.


"Ginny, what, did I hurt you?"


"No, Harry, look!"


She was pointing out the window to where the edge of the Forbidden Forest came closest to the lake. Harry looked, but he couldn’t see anything but the fat snowflakes, which were falling so thickly now that they nearly obscured his vision.


"I – I don’t see anything," said Harry, squinting at where she pointed. Just then, beneath the trees, a shadow shifted.


"There, did you see it?" said Ginny, her voice rising slightly.


"I saw something more," said Harry, frowning, "could be a Thestral maybe."


"It wasn’t big enough to be a Thestral. And besides, they don’t come that close to the edge of the forest," said Ginny a note of nervousness now in her voice. "Not unless Hagrid lures them with meet or something.


"A Centaur maybe?" suggested Harry. "Or Grawp maybe, he’s been helping Hagrid with his gamekeeper duties."


"I’d know if it was Grawp," said Ginny with a grimace. "Couldn’t bloody well mistake him for anything else now, could I? No, this was closer to being man-sized, but it didn’t look like any sort of man I’ve ever seen. In fact, it didn’t look like anything I’ve ever seen before. And it crossed there," she pointed to the span of ground between the lake and the forest. "Right there, see the footprints?"


Harry could just make out some oddly shaped depressions in the snow. He could feel his frown tightening slightly. "Think we should tell someone?" asked Harry, staring at the section of forest where he had seen the shadows shifting. "Hagrid maybe, he could get Grawp to look into it. There weren’t very many creatures in the forest that could stand up to Grawp. Harry had a feeling that even the Acromantulas would steer clear of him.


"I don’t know Harry. Telling Hagrid might not be such a good idea," Ginny pointed out.


"Why?"


"You know Hagrid," said Ginny with a sigh. "If Grawp doesn’t kill it, Hagrid would probably defend it."


"You’ve got a point," Harry conceded. "Lupin then," he said after a moment’s consideration. "He just got in this morning. I saw him at breakfast."


* * *


After an hour’s searching Harry found Lupin in Professor Slughorn’s office. The pair of them were seated in armchairs by the fire while Slughorn occasionally gave the potion bubbling on the hearth a vigorous stirring.


"Coming up on the full moon, Remus?" said Harry by way of greeting.


Lupin gave Harry a wry smile before pulling him into a bone-crushing hug.


"I was wondering where you’d got to, Harry," he said brightly.


"Come in Harry, come in!" called Slughorn. "Have some crystallized pineapple, or a glass of mead perhaps? I’m just finishing up the Wolfsbane potion for Remus, he’ll be needing it in a day or two. Remus," he said, barely pausing to draw a breath. "Our boy here has been doing a wonderful job as Defense teacher. The students have been making excellent progress!"


"I’m certain they have," said Lupin, smiling at Harry. "Harry is known for his excellent instincts when it comes to dealing with the Dark Arts."


"Naturally, naturally," said Slughorn, patting Harry’s shoulder with a plump hand. "We were just reminiscing about old school days," said Slughorn, beaming at Harry.


"I’m sorry to interrupt, Professor," said Harry quickly. "But could I borrow Remus for a moment? There’s something I need to ask him."


"By all means my boy. The potion won’t be ready for another two days anyway," said Slughorn to Lupin. "So take you’re time. I’ll bring you some when it’s ready."


Harry explained all about the shadow at the edge of the woods that Ginny had seen, and the set of footprints it had left behind.


"Could have been anything," said Lupin thoughtfully, "but if Ginny said it was like nothing she’d ever seen before-"


"Then it was probably something unusual," finished Harry.


"It should be looked into at any case," said Lupin, nodding. "I’ll take Moody and Hagrid. If it’s a creature, Hagrid will know immediately. If it is something else, then it would be best to have Moody along. In any case, we should know more by suppertime. See you then?"


Harry nodded and watched, feeling inexplicably anxious as he watched Lupin walk briskly away.


* * *


But Lupin wasn’t at Supper. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were all waiting anxiously to find out what the strange thing Ginny had seen had been.


"Probably a vampire," said Ron, looking excited.


"What is it with you and vampires, Ron?" wondered Harry idly.


"I’ve just never seen one is all," said Ron with a shrug.


"No," said Ginny with an evil grin. "He’s got neck-biting on the brain is all."


To Harry’s astonishment, Hermione turned bright pink and tugged at the collar of the high-necked jumper she was wearing.


It hadn’t escaped any of them that not only had Lupin not shown up, but Hagrid and Moody were both absent from the dinner table as well.


"You don’t suppose they actually found something, do you?" wondered Ron as he ate his way through his fourth slice of apple crumble.


"You saying I was lying?" said Ginny in an icy voice.


"Of course not," said Ron with a dismissive wave. "You saw something, but you said yourself, you didn’t know what it was."


"No, I said that I’d never seen anything like it before," Ginny corrected him.


Harry, who was working on his second helping of pudding, ignored them. He couldn’t seem to shake his growing sense of dread; a dread accompanied by an almost certain feeling that something, somewhere had gone terribly wrong.


* * *


"Harry?" The gravely voice wasn’t Ginny’s. Neither for that matter was the hand on his shoulder.


"Whatimzit?" muttered Harry groggily, reaching for his glasses. He fumbled them on, to find Remus Lupin standing beside the bed. In the harsh light of the wand he held above his head, Lupin looked even older and grayer than he did in daylight. Harry started guiltily, glancing to where Ginny lay tangled in the bedclothes beside him.


"After midnight," said Lupin briskly. He didn’t seem in the least disturbed to have found them in bed together. "Look, Harry, you need to come downstairs, now, both of you," he added, nodding towards Ginny who was now sitting up beside him, the sheet drawn up to her chin. "Where’s Ron?" Lupin added, looking around the dormitory.


Harry opened his mouth to say he didn’t know, but Lupin preempted him. "We need to find them, now. Everyone’s meeting in the hospital wing. Tonks is upstairs now in the girls dorm, she was supposed to be collecting you and Hermione," said Lupin to Ginny.


"The hospital wing?" said Ginny, speaking for the first time since Lupin had entered the room. "Please don’t tell me that someone else has been hurt!"


"I-" Lupin cleared his throat. "McGonagall sent Tonks and I to collect you lot. We’re not supposed to tell you any more until everyone is accounted for." At the look on Ginny’s face he added gently, "it’s no one from your family, Ginny." He turned to Harry. "Do either of you know where Ron or Hermione might be?"


"I can find them quicker if – I’ll get them," said Ginny, turning quickly into her cat form and slipping into the shadows.


Lupin stared after her. "Minerva’s suspected for some time that Ginny had Animagus powers," he said slowly to Harry. "But I don’t recall her ever saying that Ginny had ever managed to actually change."


"That’s probably because McGonagall doesn’t know," said Harry, unable to keep the grin off of his face as he remembered the stunned looks on Ron, Hermione and Neville’s faces as they had watched Ginny turn from a cat back into a girl after McGonagall had made her surprise visit to the boy’s dorm a couple of months previously. "Sirius taught her the basics the summer before her fourth year and she figured the rest out for herself."


"Incredible," said Lupin, shaking his head as Harry slipped into a pair of jeans and a T-shirt and pocketed his wand.


Ginny reappeared just minutes later. She was back in girl form (and, Harry noted with amusement, fully dressed) and had a scared-looking Ron and Hermione in tow with Tonks trailing along behind. Ten minutes later the six of them, Lupin in the lead and Tonks brining up the rear, entered the Hospital wing.


The hospital wing was as full as Harry had ever seen it, though not with patients. The handful of Hogwarts students who had not gone home over the holidays were clustered together just inside the main doors, whispering and talking together in low voices and eying with some curiosity the large group of adult witches and wizards who had congregated at the farther end of the ward.


With a heavy, sinking sensation, Harry realized that most of the activity centered around a bed around which a series of screens had been erected.


Not Hagrid, thought Harry wildly as they approached the screens his eyes desperately jumping from knot to knot of witches and wizards, looking for Hagrid’s reassuring largeness. Please don’t let it be Hagrid.


Lupin led them around the screens and for the briefest of moments Harry thought that his worst fears had come true, for there was Hagrid sitting on one of the very fragile looking hospital chairs; beside him stood Mr. Weasley who was patting Hagrid’s massive shoulder. Even standing Mr. Weasley (who was very tall) only came up to Hagrid’s nose, and it took Harry a moment to realize that while Hagrid was, as usual, appearing to take up all the available space in the cramped cubicle, he wasn’t the occupant of the bed.


Lying against the pillow, his mane of grizzled gray hair matted with blood, lay Mad-Eye Moody. He looked gray, as if all the color had been leached from his face. Mrs. Weasley was bent over him, applying cold compresses to his wrists.


"Oh my god!" Hermione’s small gasp was clearly audible, but the occupant of the bed didn’t do as much as stir.


Hagrid, however, looked up. His face was puffy from crying, and he had a nasty gash that ran from the corner of his eye to just below his jaw. Madam Pomfrey had obviously already treated it, but it looked as if it had been dreadfully deep and Harry thought that it would probably leave a scar.


"He’s not gonna make it," said Hagrid, his voice gruff with emotion. "Madam Pomfrey says that even if we could get him to St. Mungo’s, that there’s nothing they could do."


"There are Healers on the way," said Madam Pomfrey who had just bustled behind the screens with a spoonful of greenish medicine at the ready. "We couldn’t risk moving him. I’ve given him blood coagulants and replenishers, but he’s bleeding internally."


"What happened?" said Ginny in a very small voice. "What did this to him? A werewolf?"


"We don’t know," came a new voice; McGonagall’s.


Harry looked around. Professor McGonagall and Kingsley Shaklebolt were standing just inside of the privacy screens, both of them looking very grave.


"Poppy, the Healers have arrived," she said quietly.


The rest took this as their cue to file out from behind the screens. Professor McGonagall motioned them into Madam Pomfrey’s office where they would have a degree of privacy even as two very serious looking wizards in dark blue robes made their way down the crowded ward.


"We went out to investigate that shadow you saw," said Lupin once he, Professor McGonagall, Tonks, Hagrid, Kingsley, Hermione, Harry and the Weasleys had settled themselves on the various pieces of furniture scattered around Madam Pomfrey’s rather cramped office.


"It had left footprints all right," croaked Hagrid, shaking his great shaggy head. "But they weren’t footprints left by any creature I’ve ever seen. There were three of us, all of us armed, so we didn’t think twice about following the footprints into the forest."


Beside him, Hermione gave an involuntary shudder. Their last foray into the Forbidden Forest had brought them into contact with a heard of murderous Centaurs.


"Did – did you find the owner of the footprints?" asked Ron, his voice rather shaky.


"It found us," said Hagrid flatly.


"We’d stopped in a clearing," began Lupin, trying to explain. "Or rather, the footprints had stopped in the clearing."


"One minute they were there, the footprints and the next they were gone. They just – stopped." supplied Hagrid helpfully. "And then – then it, the creature, just – appeared."


"You mean it Apparated?" asked Kingsley quickly.


"Seemed like it," said Hagrid, shaking his head. "Couldn’t have been though, could it? I mean, creatures like that can’t Apparate."


"No, of course not," said McGonagall reassuringly.


"So whatever this thing was, it just sort of appeared out thin air and fell on Moody as if he had been the intended target all along," said Lupin heavily. "We tried to get to him, but the thing – whatever it was - just kept brushing us aside like we were midges. Nothing seemed to affect it."


"I even tried to flatten the bloody thing," growled Hagrid, looking fierce. "I’m a head taller than it was at least, but it threw me, gave me this," he said, pointing to the gash on his cheek.


"Threw you?" asked Harry incredulously. He couldn’t imagine anything short of a giant being able to manhandle Hagrid, let alone throw him. "How big was this thing?"


"Man-sized," said Lupin tiredly. "Not much taller than me. A little heavier and definitely broader across the shoulders, but it shouldn’t have been powerful enough to throw Hagrid."


"It did look pretty fierce though," said Hagrid shakily. "I don’t think it was natural. It . . ." he paused and swallowed hard.


In the quiet Harry could hear Moody’s ragged breathing from behind the screens. The occasional rasps and gurgles sounded as if something very nasty were taking up residency in Moody’s chest.


"It stood upright, like a man," said Lupin, when it became clear that Hagrid wouldn’t be able to finish the description. "It had a head and two legs and two arms. It even had five fingers on each hand, but the fingers ended in talons, not finger nails, and I could swear that the damned thing was double-jointed – I bent it’s whole arm backwards, and it didn’t so much as blink."


"Skin didn’t look human," grunted Hagrid. "It didn’t smell human either."


"Its skin was mottled," explained Lupin rather shakily. "Part regular looking skin, part some sort of scaly substance – like Dragon hide. And it’s face . . ." his voice trailed away and he shivered.


"Hagrid told me that the face was contorted," said Mr. Weasley, taking his glasses off and rubbing them on his jumper. "Like a person partway through some sort of transfiguration to something lizard – or dragon like."


"Polyjuice Potion?" said Harry quickly, remembering the bubbling feeling as his skin had melted when he had taken the potion in his second year.


"We’re considering that possibility," said Kingsley gravely. "Polyjuice Potion, as I’m sure you’ve learned in class, is not for cross-species switches."


Harry and Ron both turned to look at Hermione who had turned very faintly pink.


"Why would anyone voluntarily take Polyjuice Potion that would turn them into a creature like that?" wondered Mrs. Weasley in a tear-filled voice. "Especially when they understood the risks involved?"


"We don’t know that it was Polyjuice Potion, Molly," said Lupin soothingly. Lupin glanced at Professor McGonagall, who nodded. "Minerva thinks that it may have been a human using some sort of Transfiguration spell."


"But you said it Apparated!" said Hermione abruptly. "No one can Apparate inside of the Hogwarts grounds! It says so in Hogwarts; A History."


"I said it seemed like it had Apparated," said Hagrid, shaking his great, shaggy head. "It could have been using something else. A cloak maybe, or an invisibility shield. But even it’s ability to appear and disappear doesn’t worry me as much as the teeth. Nastiest collection of teeth I’ve seen short of a Manticore and razor sharp too, bit clean through a sapling Remus was using to ward it off."


"Why – why didn’t you use magic against it?" said Hermione in a very small and tentative voice.


"Oh, we tried all right," said Lupin with a dry chuckle.


"Everything just bounced off," said Hagrid with a grimace.


"You mean like a dragon, or an acrumentula?" wondered Harry.


"No," said Lupin slowly. "It was more like it had some sort of defensive shield up."


"Which is another thing that makes us think that it is – or was at one time – human," said Tonks with a shudder. "Regardless of how magical the creature – if it was a creature, some of the spells that were used against it should have had some sort of effect on it."


"So you think it’s still in the forest?" asked Ron, looking nervous.


"Most likely," said Lupin with a shrug.


"What I’d like to know," said McGonagall darkly. "Is how this – this thing – got past the wards."


"That’s something we’d all like to know," said Kingsley in his deep, calming voice. "I’ve put together a group of Aurors and other experts who will be running a thorough search of the castle as soon as we’re finished here."


"That’s why we’ve collected everyone in the hospital wing," said Professor McGonagall, nodding. "Easier to keep track of everyone, besides keeping them out of the way while we conduct our search."


"Mr. Weasley, Ms. Granger?" she said, addressing Ron and Hermione who were sitting side by side on a low dresser. "I want you two to take a complete roll of the students – make certain everyone is accounted for. All visits to the restrooms – we’ll use the ones here in the hospital wing – will be done in groups of no less than three . . ."


"Do you think they’ll find it?" murmured Ginny, her hand slipping into his as they slipped out of Madam Pomfrey’s office and made their way toward the knot of students.


"Before it finds us you mean?" said Harry with a wry smile.


 


* * *


The search of the castle, which was completed by breakfast, had turned up nothing. It was a subdued group that sat down to breakfast in the Great Hall, for in spite of the Healer’s best efforts, Alastor Moody had died around three in the morning from severe internal injuries.


Instead of everyone going their own way at the end of the meal, Professor McGonagall stood up and made the following announcement.


"As most of you know, Alastor Moody died early this morning from injuries he received while investigating an intruder on the school grounds. We have conducted a thorough search of the castle and its immediate grounds and, while we have been able to conclude that the attacker is not within the castle, until we have made a thorough search of the grounds I am imposing the following regulations: All students will remain inside of the castle walls. Any air or exercise will be taken in the courtyards. No student, I repeat, no student will leave this castle by any means or for any reason, unless I have personally given them permission and detailed instructions."


"Those guests who are currently staying in the castle, you are free to come and go as you will, but due to the reinforced security on the wards, you will have to have either myself, Remus Lupin, or Mr. Kingsley Shaklebolt escort you off the premises and contact us by the usual means when you are ready to return."


* * *


"So what happens if I suddenly discover where another Horcrux is hidden?" Harry wondered to the others that evening by the common room fire.


"You’ll have to go to McGonagall," said Hermione, shrugging.


"But what if I just have an idea of where it is?" Harry insisted.


"Is there something you’re not telling us, mate?" asked Ron curiously.


"Nope," said Harry comfortably, propping his feet on the fender so that his socks (which had gotten wet through during an impromptu snowball fight he and Ron and Ginny had gotten into in the courtyard after supper) could dry out.


Hermione, who didn’t seem to think that snowball fights were appropriate so soon after the tragic events of the previous evening, had refused to participate, watching the three of them instead from the doorway with a severely disapproving expression on her face.


"It’s not that I’m glad Moody’s dead," Harry had explained to Ginny when they’d trooped back up to the common room, sopping wet and chilled through. "It’s just that – I can’t make myself think about it every minute or I’ll go crazy."


It was true, too. He found himself going for big chunks of time without thinking of Moody at all. Especially seeing as that Christmas was the very next day. Of course then all it would take was a word – someone mentioning his name – and the whole bucket of guilt would cascade over him in a chilly wash, claiming that it was all Harry’s fault, seeing as that he had been the one to point out the anomaly to Lupin in the first place.


Whether it was because he had never been as close to Alastor Moody (the real Alastor Moody) as he had been to Sirius, or Dumbledore, Harry couldn’t get overly worked up about it. Oddly enough in fact, Harry found that instead of feeling angry or frustrated over Moody’s death, he felt an odd sort of anticipation. A small, elated part of his brain was screaming that this was it! While another, more logical part of him warned him that he wasn’t ready – he didn’t have the last two Horcruxes – he didn’t even have a clue where they could possibly be.


Like now, sitting here by the fire, his damp socks steaming slightly in the heat from the fire, Harry found himself grinning for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Well, maybe not for no reason. Tomorrow was Christmas after all, and he was looking forward to Ginny’s reaction when she saw his present. Boxing Day now, the prospects for Boxing Day were looking pretty gloomy.


Professor McGonagall had announced at supper that there would be a memorial service for Moody at noon the day after Christmas. It was being held at the Ministry, in commemoration of Moody’s long tenure there as a highly-respected Auror and arrangements for transportation would be made for those guests and students who wished to attend.


Harry, who had felt his spirits pick up a bit at the thought of getting out and doing something different, even if it would be to go to the Ministry for Moody’s memorial, had his hopes dashed when Lupin had let him know that the Order thought it best that he not attend something so public.


Mrs. Weasley agreed wholeheartedly, and so Harry would be staying at Hogwarts with Ron, Hermione and Ginny and a skeleton guard to ensure that there were no surprise attacks on the school, although, as Lupin and Tonks both repeatedly reassured him, that with the reinforced wards that had been placed on the school, that even a mouse would have trouble sneaking into Hogwarts undetected.


And that, thought Harry, was the problem altogether, for even if the wards could detect a wayward mouse, it couldn’t catch it; and for that matter, what about the mice already in residence?


 


* * *


"Oy, George, do you think mum knows about these sleeping arrangements?"


Harry opened a bleary eye to find Fred’s face about six inches from his own. The effect was like having an ice-cold bucket of water splashed over one’s head, especially since Harry was suddenly and terribly aware of the fact that Fred’s baby sister was laying naked in the bed beside him, her arms and legs entwined with his beneath the comforter, her head pillowed on his chest.


"I doubt it," came George’s voice from the other side of the bed. "Seeing as that they both still appear to have all their appendages, and neither of them seems to be blithering."


"It’s not the appendages that worry me," said Fred reasonably, "it’s what they appear to have been doing with them."


"Fuck off, Fred," came Ginny’s voice, still fuzzy with sleep.


"I take back the blithering bit," said George brightly.


"And Merry Christmas to you too, little sis!" said Fred congenially. "I’d enjoy it if I were you, since it may be your last."


"Yeah, when mum finds out-" began George


"She’ll only find out if you’re stupid enough to tell her," muttered Ginny.


"Oh she’ll be upset all right," said Fred, beaming down at them.


"But not at us," added George.


"When the dust settles she’ll be on her knees, thanking us for alerting her to the fact that her daughter is a-"


"If you call me a scarlet woman Fred, it will be the last thing you ever say," said Ginny warningly.


"Is that supposed to scare me?" said Fred, his eyebrows arched skeptically.


"It should," said Ginny, burrowing back into the covers and nestling her head under Harry’s chin. "I’ve improved my Silencing Charm Fred-o."


"And that means what, exactly?"


"Think of her Bat Bogey Hex, only with your tongue so twisted and swollen that it hurts like hell to swallow," said Harry, speaking for the first time since he’d woken up to find the twins on either side of the bed.


"Really?" said George.


"You can ask Goyle if you want," said Ginny creamily. "He spent a week in the hospital wing the last time he called me a blood-traitor bitch."


"He was on a liquid diet for a week and a half," said Harry, grinning at the looks of admiration that both twins were casting at Ginny.


"Pea soup through a straw," said Ginny. She caught Harry’s eye and they both sniggered appreciatively.


"Serves the git right," said George approvingly. "But honestly, Harry, nothing like subtlety, what? I mean, the boys dorm? Couldn’t you think of anything more, uh, romantic at least?"


"What, like you and Gloria Dawson going at it in the Owlery?" said Ginny acidly.


"Damn, Gin! Did you have to remind me?"


"The Owlry?" hooted Harry in glee. "Who was Gloria – no!" said Harry in astonishment, turning to look at George. "You didn’t – not with her!"


"I’ve told him a hundred times that he’ll never live it down," said Fred, shoving Harry’s legs over so that he could sit down on the end of the bed. "I mean, she shagged nearly every bloke in our year."


"Look who’s talking," said Ginny pointedly.


"Apples and Oranges little sis. I don’t shag blokes."


"But you’ve had your share of girls," said Ginny with a delicate shrug.


"Lot you know about it," growled Fred.


"Well, I know about Angelina in the back room of the shop last summer," said Ginny conversationally.


Harry had to restrain himself from laughing outright at the way all the blood seemed to suddenly drain from Fred’s face.


"You told me you were doing an inventory!" said George accusingly.


"He was," sniggered Ginny. "Just not of the stock."


"How the hell did you find out about that?" said Fred in amazement.


"The same way I found out about you and Katie in the locker room at the end of last year said Ginny with a delicate shrug.


"You and Katie?" said George incredulously.


"In the locker room?" put in Harry.


"Nobody knew about that!" said Fred, his voice dangerously quiet.


"I knew," said Ginny with a wicked grin.


"How did you find out?" wondered Fred.


"I have my ways," said Ginny sweetly.


Harry bit his lip, suppressing the urge to laugh at Fred’s look of total disbelief. He had a sneaking suspicion as to Ginny’s ‘ways.’ And was, frankly, surprised that Fred and George hadn’t yet put together the fact of Ginny’s knowing things she shouldn’t and her presence when their notes for the cordless Extendables had gone missing.


"Don’t sweat it, brother mine. I won’t tell if you won’t."


"Looks like you’ve got yourself a deal sis," said George with an evil grin at his twin.


"You bet your arse we’ve got a deal," said Ginny comfortably.


"Good," said George, tossing Ginny’s robe to her. "Now get dressed, there’s presents waiting here," he added, motioning to the two piles of presents at the bottom of Harry’s bed. "And if you don’t open them muy pronto, I may just have to open them myself."


"Looks like someone knows where to send your presents anyway," said Fred with a scowl. "How long have you been shagging The Boy Who Lived?" he asked Ginny.


"Well," said Ginny, sashing her robe and sitting down cross-legged on the end of the bed to peruse her presents. "He is the Chosen One after all."


"That much," said Fred as George sniggered into the bed hangings, "is obvious."


 


* * *


 


Christmas dinner was a sumptuous, if rather subdued affair. Two of the house tables had been left set up and were heaped with good things to eat, but the diners were anything but festive. Most were quite solemn and serious; several were crying a few, most of them younger students, kept looking over their shoulders as if they expected to be attacked at any moment.


Harry, Hermione and the nine Weasleys took up nearly one whole end of one of the tables all by themselves. Harry kept finding his eyes drawn back to Bill, who was sitting between Fleur and his father. He remembered first being introduced to Bill in the Weasley’s kitchen the summer before his fourth year, remembered wishing that he had Bill’s rugged good looks and casual way of carrying himself. If he hadn’t known that the man sitting beside Fleur was Bill Weasley, he never would have recognized him as the same man.


Except for the casual attitude, which he still wore with as much aplomb as his dragon-skin boots, Bill was a changed man; his hair, which he had worn long and in a pony tail, had been shaved to allow some of the deeper cuts on his scalp to heal properly. It was growing back now, but was still much shorter than Harry was used to seeing, and though the Healers had done a fantastic job reconstructing his face, the scars were deep and, according to the Healers, permanent. The way the thick white scars divided his face into unequal segments reminded Harry of a painting he’d seen once in a book. The artist had divided the subject’s face into different sized squares or cubes and then had rearranged them in odd configurations.


The overall effect (of the painting and of Bill’s face) was at once utterly fascinating and oddly disturbing. It was all Harry could do not to stare. But it was still Bill beneath the scars and the change in his features had done absolutely nothing to the way Fleur looked at him; with obvious adoration and pride.


Charlie, who was sitting on the other side of his mother, looked tanned and fit. There were a few new burns on his muscular arms and a scar on his left cheek that hadn’t been there before, but otherwise, he hadn’t seemed to have changed at all.


When Fred and George (who were resplendent in jackets made from the skin of the Chinese Fireball dragon) weren’t teasing Ron and Hermione about playing footsie under the table, they were regaling the rest of the table with stories about the rebuilding of Diagon Alley and the latest merchandise that the Ministry had commissioned from them.


Some of these inventions were truly amazing bits of magic, and Harry found himself wondering – and not for the first time – why Fred and George had only managed to land themselves three O.W.L.’s apiece. Their Freezing Fog for instance, could be dispensed at the touch of a button and would Stupefy anything it touched, giving the user the chance to either disarm their opponent or get away before they could be hurt. According to George, the Ministry had ordered cases of the Freezing Fog, which along with the shield cloaks, hats and gloves, had become standard Ministry issue.


Lupin, who was sitting with Tonks just on the other side of Harry and Ginny, seemed particularly interested in hearing more about the twins products and was plying them with questions while Tonks, who looked very happy, was chatting animatedly with Mrs. Weasley about their plans to rebuild the Burrow.


Neither Harry nor Ginny were talking much. They were listening instead to the conversations around them and holding hands under the table. He was glad to see that she was wearing his Christmas present.


He’d had the unique piece made especially by a jeweler in Diagon Alley that George had recommended. The bracelet consisted of three strands of metal (one each of gold, silver and bronze) that had been woven together to form a series of intricate Celtic-style knots. At the center of each of the seven knots was a small crystal that caught and refracted the light.


As unusual as the bracelet was, the real gift was in the intricate protection charms that Harry had (with the help of Professor Flitwick) woven into the bracelet and concentrated in the crystals. It was the least he could do – after what she’d done in binding herself to him. He wasn’t sure if it would have any impact on an unforgivable curse, but perhaps if she were wearing it and a spell aimed at him rebounded on her, she might at least have a fighting chance.


Harry touched the bracelet on his own wrist. Odd that she would have chosen the same format for her gift that he had for his – or perhaps it wasn’t so odd. But while he had designed the bracelet he had given her as a last line of defense, she had designed hers to be a tool to fight with.


The bracelet, which she told him she had been working on ever since Halloween, consisted of several dozen small, knut-sized, multi-colored discs which were suspended from a sliver-link chain. At least his first impression had been that it was silver. On second thought he knew that it couldn’t be, for the links seemed to have an almost liquid look to them.


"It’s a suspension charm," Ginny had told him when he’d commented on the way the links seemed to shift and melt into each other as if the metal were more fluid than solid. "It holds the whole thing together and keeps the individual charms from going off before they’re needed."


She said that it was in case he found himself in a situation where he needed help and he didn’t have his wand. She’d then explained that each tiny disc represented a different spell – indicated by the color – and that the spells could be activated by removing the disc. The defensive spells, like the black ones, which contained enough Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder to provide a temporary shield, and the gold shield charms, would activate immediately when they were removed. The offensive spells, such as the blue, which were silencing spells, and the green, which were full body binds, would only activate when they touched someone other than the one who was wearing the bracelet.


There were all sorts; Confunding charms, Binding charms, Severing charms, several Healing charms, a couple of trip jinxes, several Impediment charms and a number of red Flagrate, or burning spells.


Harry was more than a little impressed by the gift. Not only had she put an incredible amount of time and energy into making it, but it was an incredibly ingenious idea and one that he was certain Fred and George would make good use of if they ever found out about it, the Ministry too if it came to that.


Best of all though, was the note she had sent and which was, even now, burning a hole in his pocket. Hedwig had brought it to him at breakfast, landing on the table instead of Harry’s shoulder, she’d seemed rather reluctant to give it up but, with coaxing and the offer of Harry’s bacon rinds, she had given in.


The note, which had been printed in neat block letters had been a stylized invitation that read:


Ginevra Molly Weasley


Cordially Invites Mr. Harry James Potter,


To an afternoon of Sweet Temptations


When: 12 Noon December 26th


Where: Room of Requirement – 7th Floor.


Dress: Optional


Underneath, in Ginny’s flowing script was the following message:


I can’t wait to give you the second half of my Christmas Gift! Don’t tell anyone and don’t say anything about it where anyone can hear you. I don’t want to ruin this. We’ll give the guard the slip by leaving separately from lunch and I’ll meet you by that Tapestry of the Trolls learning ballet on the seventh floor.


Love, Ginny


* * *


As people finished eating they drifted off in groups of two and three, some to sleep off the huge dinner, others grouping together to chat, play chess or cards or play music. There was an impromptu jazz band assembled in McGonagall’s Transfiguration room, several Order members had brought their instruments with them and even Harry, who knew next to nothing about music, had to admit that they were really quite good.


Harry and Ginny found themselves sharing a poof in the makeshift living area in the Great Hall. Here the rest of the Weasleys, Lupin, Tonks and Hermione were lounged about chatting animatedly or (in the case of Fred and George) shooting random fireworks into the enchanted rafters of the Great Hall.


Harry watched lazily as the snow falling from the ceiling turned iridescent in the light of Fred and George’s handiwork. It was all so comfortable; the fire crackling merrily in the huge fireplace around which they sat; the suit of armor beside the mantle that was singing snatches of Christmas carols and humming through the parts it didn’t know. He especially liked the warmth that was Ginny snuggled against him and the tingle of anticipation that flowed through him every time he thought of


It was all so very comfortable that he wasn’t entirely surprised to find that he had fallen asleep. He must have been asleep, for he as talented as Fred and George were, he had never before heard them give their fireworks a human voice, but he’d be damned if they weren’t speaking now, in a high, cold voice that Harry found disturbingly familiar . . .


"Kill the boy," said a high, cold voice that Harry recognized instantly as belonging to Voldemort. "You will find that there is nothing and no one who can now stand in your way."


"Yes master."


"Kill him and I will remove the curse. You will be free to go."


"I’ll do anything."


"Yes Lucius. I know you will."


Harry woke with a start. The voices were gone, replaced instead by the incessant buzz of the Weasley’s chatter and the fizzling sounds of Fred and George’s fireworks twinkling above them.


Harry took a deep breath, trying to purge himself from the overwhelming feeling of helplessness that had seemed to paralyze him as the voices spoke. He was all right. Everything was all right. He’d been dreaming. He squeezed Ginny’s hand reassuringly, but when she spoke her words chilled him to the very bone.


"Hey, Harry, look at that," she said, pointing up to where the fireworks were winking above them. "Those two red sparks, no there, up near the ceiling, don’t they look like eyes?"


Harry found himself shivering uncontrollably. They certainly did resemble eyes . . . and suddenly he had a terrible urge to wonder if the last thing Moody had seen had been a pair of vertically slit, blood red eyes . . .


 


 



Back to index


Chapter 20: Skirting Center


The Dark heart of oblivion; the Labyrinth is an opening onto the void, the twisted, spiraling vortex at the centre of the tempest."




~James O’Rance


 


CHAPTER TWENTY: Skirting Center


 


Harry woke up as abruptly as if someone had thrown a bucket of water in his face. It was the cold that registered first — a bone-chilling cold that set his teeth to chattering even bundled as he was beneath the heavy bed clothes. He reached for Ginny, but remembered belatedly that she had spent last night in Hermione’s dorm.


He had to give Fred and George credit — they’d tried to talk Charlie into sleeping with them in one of the empty dormitories, but Charlie, practical as always, had said that it made absolutely no sense to make the house elves do a lot of extra work by heating an extra dorm when they could all comfortably fit into one, especially seeing as that there were just beds enough for all five of them.


So, for the first time in a week Harry had found himself alone in his bed and morosely contemplating the periods of forced abstinence he’d have to endure once the new term began while Charlie regaled Fred, George and Ron with his latest dragon adventures. He couldn’t even say goodnight to her using the disc for someone would have been certain to ask him who he was talking to, or why he was talking to himself.


The Room had been toasty last night; the pot-bellied stove in the middle of the room glowing cherry red from the heat in its middle and Harry was at a loss as to what could have caused such a sudden temperature change. It was a cold that got inside him and made his skin crawl and his scalp prickle uncomfortably.


A sudden string of curses from George’s bed told he wasn’t the only one who seemed to have registered the chill. In fact, Fred, George and Ron all seemed to be stirring. Charlie, however, was still sound asleep in Neville’s bed and was snoring rhythmically.


"Why the bloody hell is it so cold?" groaned George, burrowing deeper into his covers.


"Firegout?" muttered Fred from beneath his pillow.


"Stove’s still red," said Ron groggily. He swung his legs out of bed and yet out a yelp when his feet came in contact with the stone floor. "Bloody hell, it’s like ice!" He pulled on his slippers and shuffled to the stove, holding his hands out. "It’s still hot," he said, frowning at the brightly glowing stove. "But I can’t feel it until I’m, like two a foot away."


"Needsmorewood," grunted Fred, his head still buried beneath the pillow.


"The fires in the dorms don’t go out Fred," said Harry, speaking for the first time since he’d woken up. He sat up, making certain to keep the covers wrapped tightly around his body, and rubbed at his tingling temples. "House elves keep the stoves banked all night, you should know that."


"They made a mistake then," growled Fred angrily. "Some poor dolt fell asleep on the job." With a heavy, dramatic sigh Fred stumped over to the stove, grabbed an armful of firewood and flung open the stove’s door.


The wood scattered across the dormitory floor as Fred let out a howl of pain. He was now clutching a hand which was blistering before their eyes from the heat of the stove’s door.


"Told you it was still hot," said Ron with a grimace as Fred danced around the floor and waving his hand as if he were on a parade float.


"Leme see," came a new voice. The yell appeared to have done what the cold had not and had woken Charlie Weasley.


Charlie took Fred’s hand in his, pulled out his wand and pointed it at the rawly red palm and muttered something under his breath. A thin white mist began spraying from the end of his wand, coating the burn in its cool whiteness.


"That should hold until you can get up to Pomfrey," said Charlie briskly. "Toddle on to the hospital wing Fred-o, there’s a good chap."


Fred pulled on his clothes one-handed and headed for the common room. Harry could hear him grumbling and growling at George all the way down the stairs.


"You think he’ll be all right?" Harry wondered out loud.


"I’ve had loads worse myself," said Charlie with a lopsided smile. "Don’t worry Harry, Pomfrey will fix him up in no time. Bit chilly in here, what?" he said amiably.


Harry stared at him.


"What are you, a bloody polar bear?" growled Ron, grabbing his clothes and climbing back onto his bed to dress.


"Thick skinned is all," said Charlie good-naturedly. "Eight Romanian winters will do that to you." He padded barefoot back to his bed and began to dress.


"How can you stand it?" said Ron, shivering as he pulled on his jeans and tugged his jumper over his head.


But Harry, who had been contemplating who — or what — might be responsible for the sudden temperature drop, felt his insides relax at Charlie’s words. It was just cold; nothing unnatural, nothing to get concerned about. With cold feet, but a much lighter heart, he brushed off the continued tingling that now seemed to be concentrated around the area of his scar, and he began to get dressed himself.


* * *


They met up with Hermione and Ginny (both wrapped in their winter cloaks against the chill) in front of the fire in the common room and made their way down to breakfast together.


The warmth of the Great Hall was a welcome change from the icy halls and Harry sank onto a bench next to Bill and Fleur with a sigh of relief.


"Why’s it warm in here?" wondered Ron aloud.


"A heating charm," said Lupin genially, sitting down across from Harry with a wan smile. "Flitwick tapped a couple of the house elves-"


"Tapped?" said Hermione sharply.


"For power," explained Lupin. "It’s mighty cold out there. A standard heating charm wouldn’t be enough in this weather. McGonagall asked them to perform the charm, and they were more than happy to oblige."


"Why don’t they just use the elves to heat the whole castle then?" wondered Ron, helping himself to eggs and kippers.


"They could," said Lupin slowly. "But there’s no need, not with most of the castle unused right now. "She’s authorized them to heat the dorms and common rooms — they should be back to normal by the time you get back — and if this weather persists she’ll extend it to the classrooms, but there’s no reason to overtax them, they have enough to do."


"They shouldn’t have to do anything," said Hermione with a hearty sniff.


"Hermione, look at it this way," said Bill reasonably. "It’s been almost a thousand years since the elves gave their magic over to the wizards’ control. Institutions like that don’t change overnight."


"It took four hundred yearz for my anzestors to achieve their freedom," said Fleur throatily. "Even zen my grandmozer was clazzified as a magical creature and my grandfazer had to have a lizenze to have her in ze house."


"What?" said Ginny and Ron together.


"But — he was married to her!" exclaimed Hermione, sounding shocked, but Fleur was shaking her head.


"Zey would not have been allowed to marry," said Fleur matter-of-factly. "You zaw the Vela at ze Quidditch World Cup, no? Mascots!" she spat contemptuously. "Even now true Vela are seen as little more zan magical creatures zat happen to look like women."


"Fleur’s mother can tell you horror stories about growing up as, well, as a half blood," said Bill with a humorless laugh.


"Your grandfather didn’t have to have a license for his children did he?" asked Ron. "You know, to have them in the house?"


"My grandfazer was oztracized for treating a veela as an actual person, let alone for having one in hiz bed," said Fleur with a grimace, "but hiz children were half wizard and zerefore of legal wizarding status. It upzet many people and people who are upzet can zay many cruel things."


"What those people didn’t count on was the volatility of the veela temperament," said Bill, smiling slightly.


"Even half veela are quick to anger," said Fleur brightly. "And while half veela no longer have ze ability to change zeir appearance, they do maintain many of their veela powers and will not hesitate to use zem if disturbed."


"It’s the same with elves," explained Bill. "They were always considered to be volatile, sneaky even, but they had phenomenal magical powers — natural powers — no elf has ever needed to go to school to learn how to perform a spell and so the wizards didn’t dare to lift a finger against them."


"They found a way to enslave them, obviously!" said Hermione heatedly.


"Only after the elf uprising of 1066," said Bill conversationally.


"I thought 1066 was the Norman invasion of England," said Hermione thoughtfully.


"And 1945, when Grindlewald was defeated marked the end of the Second World War," said Bill with a shrug.


"Odd isn’t it," said Lupin quietly, "how events in the Muggle world seem to have corresponding effects in the wizarding world."


"I don’t remember reading anything about the elf uprising of 1066," said Hermione skeptically.


"Well, it’s not something that’s put in your average history book," said Lupin in a reasonable voice. "Definitely one of the nastier pieces of wizarding history; not something to be proud of."


"Well," said Bill conversationally, "for nearly a thousand years the elves had lived in their own villages and communities. They had their own government — their own way of dealing with crimes — everything. Anyway, there was a division in the elfish government. A group gained power that had no respect for the way things had been done for millennia. On top of that, they were very anti-wizard."


"Anti-wizard?" said Ron curiously.


"Actually, that’s a rather mild term," said Lupin mildly. "They were determined that elves would never truly be free until they had rid themselves of wizard kind."


"Well, they were right!" said Hermione stubbornly. "They would be better off without us."


"I’m not talking about wanting to have nothing to do with wizards, Hermione," said Lupin gently. "I’m talking about total annihilation of wizard kind."


Hermione stared at him, stunned. "You’re joking," she said finally in a rather strained voice.


"I wish I was," said Lupin heavily. "But it’s true. They wiped out whole villages of wizards before the rebellion was subdued."


"But still, to enslave all elves because of something a handful did!" insisted Hermione.


"It wasn’t that simple," said Lupin with a grimace. "The wizards would never have been able to trace them if it hadn’t been for the members of the elfish government who didn’t want to follow an agenda of bloodshed. They turned the names of the rebel leaders and the location of the rebel camp into the wizarding authorities."


"Well, you can imagine. The wizards incarcerated the rebels of course, and executed the leaders, but it wasn’t enough. The rebels — or a good number of them, anyway, escaped and began to take their revenge on the elves who had sided with the wizards."


"They killed their own kind?" said Hermione, sounding astounded.


"Hundreds of them," said Lupin grimly.


"The elfish government was desperate," said Bill sadly. "There was nothing they could do. They begged the wizards for help, but the wizards had plenty on their plate as it was and unfortunately many of them thought that fighting for elves wasn’t worth the effort. In fact, many wizards thought that the unrest that was spreading across the country right then might have been instigated by the elves, that the elfish government was using the rebel elves as cover for their real agenda."


"Real agenda?" asked Ron curiously


"Subjugation of all wizard kind," said Bill with a half smile. "The wizards were convinced you see, that elves saw themselves as superior to wizards and that if given half a chance, the elves would take over.


"Finally, after several months of arguments, the wizarding and elfish governments came to an agreement," put in Lupin. "In exchange for the protection and fair treatment of the wizards, the elves would agree to give up their magical powers."


"Must be a definition of ‘fair treatment’ that I have yet to hear," said Hermione pointedly. "And they certainly don’t appear to receive very much protection from wizards!"


"Enslavement is not usually something that happens to a people overnight, Hermione," said Lupin gently. "It took nearly a hundred years before what had begun as an agreement of mutual benefit between wizards and elves turned in to the sad state you see it today. As you can see, the belief that they ‘belong’ to wizards is now so entrenched in their minds that they consider even the prospect of freedom to be an insult."


"And all because the wizards were afraid of their powers," murmured Hermione sadly. "Now they can’t so much as lift a finger without a by-your-leave from their masters."


Harry thought about this as he demolished a plate of bacon and eggs. Who was it that had told him that house elves had their own powerful brand of magic, but weren’t allowed to use it without their master’s permission?


But that wasn’t entirely correct, thought Harry as he buttered his third slice of toast. Dobby had belonged to the Malfoys, but during Harry’s second year at Hogwarts Dobby had used his magic to not only leave the Malfoy’s house, but to stop Harry’s mail, smash his Aunt’s pudding, block the barrier to Platform 9 ¾ , and bewitch a Bludger that had been the direct cause for Harry’s having to regrow all the bones in his arm.


But then again, Dobby seemed to be a law unto himself. Dobby craved freedom. He enjoyed wearing clothes and receiving wages. He had risked his master’s wrath to leave the house in order to warn Harry off of going back to Hogwarts Harry’s third year. And Winky…for all her love of Mr. Crouch, she had disobeyed a direct order and had left the tent during the Quidditch World Cup in order to stay with her master’s son.


So it wasn’t that a house elf couldn’t do magic without their master’s permission. It was more a matter of integrity. A house elf wasn’t supposed to leave their house or do magic without permission and so they’d risk everything to uphold their word. Harry supposed that before they had turned their magic over to the wizards that elves had probably maintained some sort of code of conduct where their word was there bond or some such sentiment.


"You’re awfully quiet," murmured Ginny, nudging him under the table with her knee.


"Just thinking," said Harry, pouring himself another goblet of orange juice.


"You going to miss me?" she asked teasingly.


"What?"


Ginny called loudly down the table, "Oy, Ron, didn’t you tell him?"


"Oh no! Damn!" said Ron eloquently, choking on a bit of toast. "Harry, sorry mate, mum told us last night — she’s taking Ginny and me to Hogsmeade this morning to get new robes."


"New robes?" said Harry, frowning slightly. Aside from the fact that this might very well put a dent in the plans Ginny had made for after lunch, it seemed to be pointless to buy new robes this close to the end of Ron’s seventh year. "It’s your last year Ron, we’ll be done in June."


"And with the way he’s growing the robes he has now will be up to his knees," said Mrs. Weasley who had appeared suddenly at Ron’s elbow. "Besides, if he doesn’t grow out of the new ones by the end of the school year we can alter them to fit as work robes. Time to go, are you ready Ron? And you, Ginny?"


They both nodded. Mrs. Weasley turned to go, Ron on her heels, but Ginny hung back.


"I’ll be back by lunchtime Harry," she breathed in his ear before kissing him on the cheek.


"I certainly hope so," said Harry, arching an eyebrow at her.


"Trust me love, I wouldn’t miss it for the world. Don’t forget, the password’s Lemon Bright."


Before Harry could ask her why he would need a password to get into the Room of Requirement, Ginny was gone.


* * *


Harry spent the morning in the now toasty Gryffindor common room playing wizard’s chess with Hermione and using his earring disc to listen surreptitiously to Ginny’s conversations with Ron and her mother as they did their shopping in Hogsmeade. From the sound of it, Robes were only one of the things Mrs. Weasley was set on getting.


As the hands of his wristwatch crept closer to noon Harry became increasingly restless. At the rate Mrs. Weasley was going on (chatting merrily now with the couple who ran Honeydukes) Ron and Ginny would be lucky to make it back by supper, let alone lunch.


Finally, unable to stand the suspense, Harry deactivated the disc. She’d either make it or she wouldn’t. There was no use stressing over it. He’d just go up to the seventh floor corridor and wait until she showed up, that was all.


 


* * *


Half an hour later Harry turned the last corner into the seventh floor corridor where the hidden entrance to the Room of Requirement was hidden in its blank stretch of wall. There, opposite of where the door should be, was the tapestry of the ill-conceived ballet lesson and standing in front of the tapestry, studying it as if it were an artistic masterpiece, was a slim, red-haired figure.


Ginny!


She hadn’t seen him yet, so intent was she on the scene she was studying. Harry flattened himself against the wall opposite the tapestry, treading softly, determined to surprise her, grinning to himself as he imagined her squeal of surprise when he came up behind her, unseen.


Three more steps.


Two.


Harry stopped, wincing as his scar gave a nasty twinge. What was it with his scar today, anyway? Harry blinked, trying to focus on Ginny, but he was having a difficult time of it. Something about the way the sleeves of her robes were fluttering around her — as if she stood in a high breeze — was distinctly odd, especially since there was not so much as a breath of wind in the corridor.


Robes? Thought Harry confusedly. When had Ginny changed into her school robes? Hadn’t she been wearing her cloak over jeans and a jumper when she’d left for Hogsmeade?


Ginny, still oblivious to him, reached out a finger to trace the outline of the largest troll’s pink tutu. It was only then that Harry realized she wasn’t wearing his bracelet.


This isn’t right.


His scar gave another, more painful twinge and Harry took a careful step backwards, drawing his wand from his jeans pocket as he did so. Whoever — or whatever that was standing there — it wasn’t Ginny.


Another step.


Harry reached a hand behind him for the support of the corridor wall, but what he encountered wasn’t the cool smoothness of the stone, but a rough, scaly hide that was slightly greasy to the touch.


Before he could scream; before he could do so much as draw a gasping breath, a pair of large, muscular arms had pulled him roughly backwards. Harry stumbled, tried to regain his balance, and very nearly dropped his wand as the arms propelled him through a door which now stood where there had been solid stone walls only moments before.


* * *


Propelled by the force of the creature who had thrown him, Harry fell hard against a rough, uneven stone surface and felt the skin on the palms of his hands split. His knees too were stinging and, as he leapt to his feet he could feel the warm drip of blood on his calves, but he didn’t stop to assess the damage. Wand in hand, Harry turned in a circle, braced for the sight of the beast with the scaly skin. Nothing. He was alone.


Harry had made use of the room of requirement before. It had turned into a large, well-equipped classroom when he’d been leading Dumbledore’s Army. And last year, last year when he had needed to hide his Potions book it had been a huge, cathedral-like structure jam packed full of items that people had secreted there over the centuries. This room was entirely different.


It was a huge oval of a room, at least as large as the Great Hall. Its large, domed ceiling was supported by massive pillars that ringed the perimeter of the room. The pillars appeared to have been carved out of the same rough-hewn stone as the walls. The walls themselves were lined with flickering torches that cast flickering shadows across the uneven flagstone floor. It took him nearly a minute to realize that though he had come in by what was unmistakably the door to the room of requirement, that there was no door or opening visible in the solid stone of the great, cavernous chamber’s walls.


Seeing that he was under no immediate threat, Harry drew several great, calming breaths, wiping his bloody hand on his jeans as he did so that he could have a firmer grip on his wand. As his wildly pounding heart began to assume a more regular rhythm he realized with a nasty jolt that he wasn’t alone in the chamber after all. Whoever, or whatever it was in here with him (and it sounded huge) was drawing deep, rasping breaths that sounded like a bellows.


Unnerved, Harry moved away from the wall and into the center of the room. Whatever it was must be hiding in the shadow of a pillar — probably at the far end of the room. As he moved, the ragged breathing grew louder, accompanied now by what sounded like the tick tick tick of claws on the flagstone floor. Harry’s nerves were on fire; his muscles poised, ready to spring.


Without so much as a warning, Harry felt a blast of hot air on the back of his neck and instinctively rolled to his left. Something that felt like a handful of nails raked his side and he felt a warm gush of blood.


Hissing at the stabbing pains in his side, Harry rolled into a low, defensive crouch, wand at the ready. But how the hell was he supposed to use it against an enemy he couldn’t see?


Close your eyes Harry. Close your eyes and listen — you’ll hear it coming.


"Ginny?"


Harry reached up to the disc in his ear. He’d forgotten about the disc! If he could get Ginny’s attention she could get some help — the guards — they could come find him!


"Ginny! Ginny, can you hear me?" Harry shouted, but even as his fingers touched the disc he felt his heart sink — it was turned off! He twisted it, and yelled again, "Ginny! Help me, Ginny, I’m in the room of requirement! Gin-aaaaargh!"


The handful of nails raked him again, this time tearing into his back. Harry staggered into one of the pillars, grasping it with both hands, then aimed his wand over his shoulder, shouting "Stupefy!"


Harry twisted around, just in time to see the bolt ricochet off an invisible barrier. Whatever it was — it was shielded! This wasn’t just an invisible monster, someone was using magic!


Heartened, Harry used a repeated Relashio spell to release a continuous jet of fiery sparks. The sparks fizzled and popped against the barrier, tracking its movements. Keeping one step ahead of it, ducking and swerving, Harry wracked his brain, trying to think, he couldn’t keep this up forever. He was losing blood for one thing, quite a bit to judge from the way his vision was beginning to go gray around the edges. He had to get through the barrier.


Magic.


A magical barrier.


A magical barrier or shield would have to use a spell to keep it going.


"Finite!" bellowed Harry.


The spell did exactly what it was supposed to do, removing not only the shield the beast had been using, but the invisibility spell it was hiding behind.


Harry blinked. He’d been expecting to see a person, a Death Eater perhaps, or maybe Voldemort himself. Instead he found himself staring at a hideously mutated creature that looked as if a very tall and muscular man had been caught halfway through being transfigured into a dragon.


What the hell?


Harry slipped in something he very much feared was his own blood. He staggered and fell, which probably saved his life. The beast leapt, it’s hideous talon-fingers extended, missed him by inches, and skittered into a nearby pillar with a roar that brought to Harry’s mind the disturbing memory of the noise the Hungarian Horntail had made while defending her eggs.


Gasping at the pain, trying to ignore the feeling of what could only be shreds of skin flapping against his back, Harry used another pillar to pull himself up to a standing position.


"Sectumsempra!" Harry yelled, pointing at the mutated figure.


Red jets of light burst from his wand and hit the creature dead on. Nothing happened. He’d hit it, there was no way he could have missed at this range, but the spell had just seemed to bounce off it’s dragon-like skin.


Dragons.


If whoever this is — or was — had been crossed with a dragon, they’d probably gotten a thick, nearly spell-proof skin like the dragons at the Tri-wizard tournament. It had taken twenty wizards all working together to take down the Horntail. Giants were the same way. Look at Hagrid. Hagrid had repelled six simultaneous stunners when Umbridge had tried to take him into custody. Which would explain why it hadn’t changed back to human form when Harry had used the Finite spell; it wasn’t entirely human any more.


"Damn," said Harry quietly.


The beast’s eyes lit up with a fiendish excitement as it closed in on him. Harry couldn’t run any more, he was so tired he felt that he could close his eyes and go to sleep right here, standing up, propped against this pillar. The gray at the fringes of his vision was closing in, narrowing his field of vision until he felt as if he were looking through the wrong end of a telescope.


Harry tried to take a step backwards, away from the approaching beast, but his legs refused to obey him. Instead his knees buckled and he tumbled to the floor, landing on his back with a splash. Whatever he’d fallen in was very warm and sticky; something that smelled metallic.


Blood, thought Harry, trying to push himself up to a sitting position and only managing to lift his head off the floor a few inches. He lifted a hand that was now coated in a red sheen like a glove and held it up in front of his eyes. My blood.


A breath of hot air on his face caused him to look up. The beast was standing over him, the black, vertically slit pupils of its lizard-like eyes narrowing slightly as its great mottled head bent closer. The all-too-human looking lips curled back to reveal great yellow fangs glistening with was undoubtedly some sort of poisonous saliva.


Harry closed his eyes. He might not be able to move. He might not be able to fight, but he’d be damned if the last thing he saw in this life was that hideous creature’s mutated form. Even the back of his eyelids was preferable to what lay just outside of them.


Would it hurt? Harry wondered as the cool darkness enclosed him. Of course it would hurt, but Harry had the distinct impression that it wouldn’t hurt for long. He didn’t have the strength to hold on much longer. It would be over soon. Over . . .he’d never seen Ron, Hermione or Ginny again . . .


Harry wrenched his eyes open, startling the lizard-like creature leaning over him. Ginny! She’d never know what had happened to him! No one would know! They’d never find him, not here! No one would know where to look! His body spasmed as he tried to move, but no matter how hard he tried, his arms and legs just didn’t seem to be listening.


The beast put a claw-like hand on his middle, holding him down, holding him still, and bent over him once again. Desperate now, Harry tried to raise his wand, only to discover that it was laying in a puddle of blood just inches from his face. His mind groped for a spell — any spell — perhaps, with his wand lying so close . . .but the graying of his vision seemed to be affecting not just his eyes, but his entire brain, he couldn’t think! No spells were coming to mind. He couldn’t remember a single one!


A lone tear traced its way down Harry’s cheek as he realized that this was it. This was the end. Not only would he never see those he cared about again, not only would they never know what had happened to him, but he hadn’t expected it to end like this! He’d at least hoped to go out in a blaze of glory — hand to hand combat with Voldemort himself perhaps, not pinned to the floor by some mutated minion!


"Damn," Harry said quietly as he felt the tips of the creature’s claws sink into his middle. "Get it over with, would you?" he croaked, and was more than a little surprised when the beast released him; released him and then sprang over him towards something beyond Harry’s field of vision with another dragon-like roar.


Not that it mattered. The darkness took him, leaving only his pain; his pain and the sound of the beast’s vicious snarls and then a voice — a voice filled with hatred, a voice dripping with venom and barely repressed rage cried out, "Avada Kedavra!"


Harry barely had time to register his surprise at the fact that this was the first time he’d heard the beast speak before a rushing sound filled his ears and he found himself engulfed in a burst of green light that was visible even through his closed eyelids.. Then there was no more pain, just a crushing weight and finally, as if from a great distance, came the unmistakable sound of phoenix song.



Back to index


Chapter 21: INTERLUDE 3



CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: Interlude 3



 


It was the cold that woke her. Only at two other times in her life could Ginny Weasley remember being this cold. Once was when the Dementor had entered the compartment of the Hogwarts Express where she, Harry, Neville, Ron and Hermione had been sitting. The other had been in the Chamber of Secrets. For a very long moment Ginny lay very still, remembering . . .



She could still smell the dead, musty smell of decomposing animals; the dry, bitter smell of deep earth and old stone and the slightly sour smell of her own sweat, for she had fought bitterly to avoid Tom’s brining her to this place.



The sweat had dried quickly in the bitter chill of the Chamber. The sweat had dried but the scent had lingered. It had been joined by other scents as the day had crept by, worse scents; the peppery scent of aggression and anger, the metallic scent of blood, the musky, moldy smell of the basilisk and, finally, the dead smell of resignation.



Ginny didn’t dare to move. She’d been dreaming of the Chamber again, and she wasn’t entirely certain if the cold was a residual part of the dream, or the cause of it. Sometimes her dreams about the Chamber were so real that she was afraid that she’d wake up to find herself trapped in her possessed self, sprawled on the cold stone of the Chamber floor, unable to do so much as lift a finger in her own defense as Tom Riddle had drained her of even her will to live.



Slowly she became aware of the light pressing against her eyelids. It hadn’t been bright in the Chamber. It had been dark, gloomy, and full of rustling, restless shadows which meant…she squinted against the overly bright whiteness of the sunlight streaming through the mullioned windows by her bed and couldn’t help the grin that spread across her face. The air against her face was enough to tell her that the cold had been the cause of the dream, not the result.



Pity, really, that she was here in Hermione’s dormitory instead of Harry’s. If she’d been with Harry they could have simply snuggled back under the covers and devised a way of keeping warm. Hell, they probably could have figured a way to generate enough warmth to heat the entire dormitory — maybe even the whole castle! Grinning at the picture this presented, Ginny fumbled for her wand, hissing as her hand made contact with the icy-cold wood.



"Accio winter clothes," she muttered, pointing her wand at the wardrobe beside her bed where she had stashed some of the things from her own dormitory. The door sprang open, and a pair of black corduroy pants, a thick woolen jumper (one of her mum’s, this one a deep chocolate brown) and assorted undergarments soared over to Ginny’s outstretched hand. She was about to start dressing when she thought better of it and cast a quick heating charm on the clothes first before putting them next to her skin.



She had just finished tying her shoes when she remembered the note Harry had sent her the previous morning. She slipped her hand beneath her pillow and gave a squeal of surprise when her fingers touched something fuzzy and warm.



"What’s wrong?" cried Hermione, waking up abruptly and sitting bolt upright, her wand clutched tightly in her hand.



"Damn it, Arnold!" Ginny laughed, pulling him out from the warm nest he had created for himself and holding him up for Hermione to see. "He was under my pillow, nearly gave me a heart attack!"



Hermione’s laugh ended with a teeth-chattering shiver as she reached for her robe.



"Warm it up first," Ginny advised, tucking Arnold in a pocket as she reached for her hairbrush. "It doesn’t come as such a shock."



"What’s happened do you think?" wondered Hermione as she toasted her slippers.



"Can’t be the stoves," said Ginny, nodding at the pot-bellied stove that stood like a squat bug in the middle of the dormitory. "It’s glowing bright red — must be really hot."



"Trying to compensate for the air temperature," said Hermione, nodding. "The heat regulating charms that they use for the castle are mentioned in Hogwarts; a History. It’s supposed to work like the Muggle’s central air or heat."



"Come on," said Ginny as Hermione finished dressing. "Let’s go down to the common room, maybe it’s warmer down there."



 


* * *



Breakfast was a cheerful affair, made all the more comfortable by the delicious heat that had, according to Lupin, been generated by the house elves. Ginny listened interestedly to Lupin, Bill, Fleur, Ron and Hermione’s conversation about the history of elf enslavement and the freedom’s of magical creatures.



She didn’t feel much like talking. For one thing the note Harry had sent her yesterday at breakfast was burning a hole in her pocket.



Dearest Ginny,



I can’t wait to give you the second half of your Christmas present. Meet me in the Prefect’s bathroom on the fifth floor at noon tomorrow. The password is Lemon Bright.



See you then!



All yours,



Harry



It had been a real blow when her mother had announced that she’d be taking her two youngest into Hogsmeade for new robes. Ginny knew that once her mother started shopping it was very difficult to get her to stop and she’d probably want to have lunch in Hogsmeade, most likely at the Three Broomsticks.



Ginny wrinkled her nose at the thought. The Three Broomsticks was all fine and good for a drink, but their food couldn’t hold a candle to Hogwarts and besides, she had better things to do than hang around Hogsmeade watching her mother pick out new yarn colors.



She couldn’t miss out on whatever it was that Harry had planned. If he’d gone to the trouble of planning out a surprise for her that involved the two of them being alone together, she just bet that it would be good!



* * *



Ginny kept her disc turned on, chatting non-stop to her mother, and imagining Harry’s face when her mother pulled her aside while Ron was having his robes fit and had the assistant in the clothing shop measure her for a whole new set of under things.



She’d been afraid that her mum would insist on staying with her as she picked out her new bras and panties, but to her relief, her mum let her quite alone after telling the assistant how much she was willing to spend.



When they had completed their shopping at the robe shop, Mrs. Weasley divided up their parcels and announced that she’d meet them at the Three Broomsticks at noon.



"What about Moody’s memorial?" asked Ron bluntly, taking the packages his mother handed him.



"Your father is going," said Mrs. Weasley, her voice suddenly sounding as if she had a very bad head cold, "and Bill and Charlie as well as Fred and George. That’s enough for one family I expect."



"Mum, I really don’t have anything else to shop for," said Ginny taking her own packages from her mother. "Can’t Ron and I go back to the castle?"



Mrs. Weasley looked at them sharply. "Any particular reason?"



"Dobby says that there’s to be plum pudding again for lunch today," said Ron unexpectedly. "And then there’s the game Harry and I have been playing."



"Chess," said Ginny, wrinkling her nose. "They’ve been playing the same game for three days now!"



"He’s getting better," admitted Ron, glancing sideways at Ginny with a quirky grin on his face.



"Especially his technique," put in Ginny, deadpan.



Ron stumbled slightly at this, but managed to recover his parcels without major mishap.



"Well," said Mrs. Weasley slowly. "If you two promise to stay together, and go straight up to the castle."



"Of course we will," said Ron and Ginny together.



Mrs. Weasley hugged them both tightly, then handed Ron her own bags to take back to the castle for her, instructing him to leave them outside of the guestroom.



"I’ll be back in time for supper," she said, wrapping her scarf more tightly around her throat. "If you see your father before then," she added to Ginny, "make certain he knows where I am. In fact, you might as well have him come met me, he can help with the packages."



* * *



It was ten minutes until twelve by the time Ron and Ginny arrived back at the gates to the castle and rang the signal for someone to come let them in. It was Lupin, looking as shabby as ever in a patched and battered Muggle overcoat who came down to open the gates.



Ginny dashed up to the dormitory (which was once again comfortably warm) and quickly changed into one of her new sets of under things (lace trimmed black satin) and slipped back into her pants and jumper. Let it be a surprise!



Five minutes later she paused outside of the fifth floor prefects bathroom in order to catch her breath.



"Lemon bright," she murmured.



The door swung open noiselessly, revealing the plush Prefect’s bathroom, replete with its crystal chandelier, stacks of fluffy white towels and pool-sized bathtub with its dozens of taps.



"Harry?" said Ginny quietly, stepping into a silence so deep it pressed in on her eardrums.



"He’s not here," said a morose voice from the far end of the room. "Nobody’s here."



Ginny started, looking around. There, floating about six inches above a stack of towels, was moaning Myrtle.



"Hello Myrtle," she said carefully. Ginny had learned the hard way to be careful what she said around moaning Myrtle. Most ghosts had no effect on their physical surroundings (except if you walked through them, that was always nasty, akin to having a bucket of cold water dumped over your head), but Myrtle wasn’t like most ghosts.



The glum ghost of the girl who had been killed fifty years ago by the monster of Slytherin was terribly sensitive. If she took a dislike to something you said she could make your life miserable, following you from toilet to shower to sink, squirting water in your face, wrecking havoc with the water pressure and, in general making a nuisance of herself. She wasn’t nearly as bad as Peeves, but she could hold her own.



"You looking for him then?" said Myrtle sadly, picking at a spot on her chin.



"Do you know where he is?" said Ginny in a neutral tone.



"Not in the castle," said Myrtle with a shrug. "Or the grounds either for that matter. I’d know."



"Not in the castle?" repeated Ginny, a frown creasing her forehead. "Myrtle, what are you talking about? He was supposed to meet me here-" Ginny lurched suddenly, grabbing onto the wall for support as the floor came up abruptly to meet her.



But no, she was still standing. She hadn’t fallen. But her hands, god, her hands and knees both stung as if she had indeed fallen headlong onto a rough stone surface. In fact, she could almost see the rough flagstone floor beneath her hands.



Her hands? They certainly didn’t look like her hands. They looked as if they might belong to . . .



"Harry?" Ginny breathed, reaching for the disc in her ear, only to find that the earring was gone! She groaned out loud as she realized it that she must have lost it while she was coming back from Hogsmeade.



But how was it that she could suddenly feel and see what Harry was feeling and seeing? The disc allowed them to hear each other, not feel each other’s feelings. There had however been rare occasions, when she and Harry had been alone together, times when she’d caught a glimpse of his thoughts, or had her own thoughts picked up by him.



Gripping the stone wall for support, Ginny closed her eyes, willing herself to see what Harry was seeing, feel what he was feeling.



A room. Large. Oval. Pillars carved of stone. Shimmering torches. A rough, flagstone floor. Something breathing. Something invisible breathing. Something invisible, its claws ticking on the stone floor. Fear. Cascades of fear. Nerves on edge. Every muscle poised, ready to spring. . .



Ginny gasped and clutched at her side as what felt like a handful of searing hot knives tore through her skin. Ginny looked down. No blood. No wound. That must mean that the pain must belong to Harry.



"Oh my god!" Ginny groaned, opening her eyes and struggling to stay upright against the blinding pain in her (his?) side.



How the hell am I supposed to use my wand against an enemy I can’t see?



This thought — as clear as her own — reverberated in Ginny’s head



Close your eyes Harry. Close your eyes and listen — you’ll hear it coming.



But he wasn’t listening. At least not to what she’d said. He’d heard her voice though, because suddenly he was shouting her name — and she knew that he’d remembered the disc.



"Ginny! Ginny, can you hear me? Ginny! Help me, Ginny, I’m in the room of requirement! Gin-aaaaargh!"



Her name ended in a blood curdling yell that only lent speed to her feet as Ginny dashed down the corridor and up two flights of stairs, wincing as the searing knives now raked her back.



She knew that she should send for help, perhaps she should have stopped and asked Myrtle to alert someone. But it was already too late; she was tearing down the seventh floor corridor that led to the blank stretch of wall that hid the entrance to the room of requirement.



Ginny shut her eyes tightly, trying now to block out the sounds of Harry’s harsh, ragged breathing, the feeling of blood pouring down his back and side.



I need to find Harry! I need to find him now!



Once past.



Two times.



Had it ever taken so long to go a dozen feet before?



Three times.



Ginny turned, half expecting to find the wall still smooth and blank, and started in surprise at the sight of the thick wooden door that had appeared out of the seemingly solid rock wall.



She wrenched the door open, and dashed through, her wand held in front of her like a sword.



The sight that met her eyes drew her up short. There was blood everywhere; sprays of it; puddles of it and there, lying in the center of room, lying in a pool of his own blood, was Harry.



Ginny barely registered a glimpse of the scaly, mutated looking creature crouching over him before it leapt across him with a deafening roar of fury. It was on her before she could even think of a spell, its great talons tearing across her hip in searing agony.



She stumbled backwards, but was brought up short by the wall behind her. There was nowhere to go, no way to get past the great snarling thing, unless . . .



He’s not in the castle. He’s not even on the grounds. I’d know.



Ginny closed her eyes, pirouetted on the spot, her mind focused on where Harry lay, twenty feet away in a pool of his own blood, and wasn’t entirely surprised to find herself suddenly standing beside him, facing the creature that was now roaring in frustration at the sudden blank space of wall in front of it.



In spite of her situation, Ginny couldn’t resist the grin that spread across her face as she reappeared at Harry’s side. It had worked! She aimed a stunning spell at the beast, only to have it bounce off harmlessly.



What the hell?



The creature turned with a roar, its eyes locking on hers, and crouched, poised to spring.



Ginny took a step backwards, her foot splashing in something warm and sticky. She looked down and felt the bottom drop out of her stomach. She was standing in a pool of blood; Harry’s blood.



It had done this! It had tried to kill Harry and, from the looks of it, may very well have succeeded.



Suddenly Ginny was no longer afraid. She was angry. Angrier than she had ever been in her entire life. She could feel the hatred for this hideous mutated thing welling up inside her, filling her with a clean, burning anger that refused to be denied.



"Avada Kedavra!" roared Ginny, just as the best leapt, its clawed hands extended in front of it like a lion going in for the kill.



The jet of green light hit its shield, hesitated a heartbeat, and then bored through it, hitting the beast square in the chest. The creature’s eyes filled with a stunned surprise and then went blank as it fell, lifeless, to the ground.



 


* * *



It took Ginny nearly a minute to realize that she wasn’t dead. The beast was sprawled across Harry’s prone form, pinning him in place. Gasping, clutching her side, which was still bleeding freely, Ginny levitated the beast off of Harry then collapsed next to him where he lay motionless on the floor, as pale as death.



"God, Harry! Harry, can you hear me? Harry!"



She felt his wrist, his throat, desperate to find a pulse. Nothing. Sobbing, Ginny threw herself across his chest.



This wasn’t supposed to happen! She’d done everything she knew how to protect him from Dark Magic, but it hadn’t crossed her mind to think of his dying of physical injuries! Physical injuries could be healed. How many times had this great lout landed himself in the hospital wing with physical injuries? He couldn’t die! He just couldn’t! Not here, not like this!



"Harry!" Ginny’s voice broke as she brushed his blood-matted hair back from his face. How appropriate, seeing as that her heart was breaking inside of her chest. "Harry, don’t leave me!" She leaned down, brushing his lips with her own.



The jolt that ran through her at the touch of his lips nearly bowled her over; a tingling bolt of pure white light was filling her head, obscuring her vision, blinding her to everything but the man in her arms.



The tingling spread to her chest. She could feel him now. Every fiber of him was in her heart; in her mind. He was still there. Still alive; but only just; clinging to life by sheer willpower.



Ginny!



His voice inside her head made her reel with dizziness. She clung to him, lips still pressed to his, willing him to live. Willing him to take whatever it was he needed, whatever it was that would keep him alive.



Harry! Oh my god, Harry! You’re still alive!



Ginny, don’t let me go!



Never!



The tingling had spread to the tips of her fingers and feet. She could feel it now, her life force, her energy, pouring out of her body and into his. Suddenly the form in her arms drew in a deep shuddering breath and he was there with her.



She drew back, gasping as his eyes fluttered open. His gaze locked with hers and she found herself falling into those fathomless green eyes. His hands were in her hair then, drawing her back down to him. And then he was kissing her, kissing her so deeply, so searingly, that she was surprised they didn’t both ignite from the heat of it.



 


 



Back to index


Chapter 22: Chapter 22

Nobody is bound by any obligation unless it has first been freely accepted.

Ugo Betti

 

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: The Soul Blood Bond

 

"Ginny," said Lupin gently, "can you explain again how it was that you found Harry? If he was in the Room of Requirement — and he didn’t tell anyone where he was going, how could you possibly have known?"

They were in the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey had mended the gashes in Ginny’s hip in minutes, keeping her overnight only to make certain that there would be no infection. Harry on the other hand had been here for three days now, receiving blood-replenishing charms twice a day as well as a variety of potions that were supposed to help with his internal injuries. The mixture of potions had been prescribed by the Healer that had been called in from St. Mungo’s at Madam Pomfrey’s request.

The Healer had been quite amazed to find Harry still alive after the injuries he had sustained and had wanted to take Harry back to the wizarding hospital, but Harry, backed by Professor McGonagall and a rather fierce Remus Lupin, had refused to be moved. And so the Healer had gone about his business, clucking over Harry’s injuries like a mother hen and shaking his head at the resiliency of youth.

Even with his teeth set against the pain of the Healer’s intrusive magic, Harry hadn’t been able to entirely shake the effervescent feeling that had sustained him from the moment Ginny’s lips had touched his there as he lay on the floor of the Room of Requirement, an inch from death.

It hadn’t been the kiss as such, but the power of her life force pouring into him that had set his skin to tingling. But it had been the sudden, overwhelming knowing of her that had come with it that had set his very soul on fire.

He’d thought at first that his sudden ability to hear Ginny’s voice in his head, to know what she was going to say a second before she said it, was nothing more than a lingering result of the power she had expended in bringing him back from the edge. She’d poured her very self into him after all. It was bound to have some sort of residual effect.

But it didn’t fade. In fact, if anything, it was getting stronger. And it wasn’t just being able to hear her now, or even knowing what she was going to say before she said it. He could feel her now; feel the ebb and flow of her emotions as clearly as if they were his own; sense her thoughts even. And it was because of this he knew that it wasn’t just him. She was feeling him too.

They’d had moments; moments when they were both at ease, he and Ginny both completely relaxed, when they’d been able to tell what the other was thinking about, but nothing like this. Never like this. Something had happened in that chamber; something so incredibly powerful that he didn’t have the words to explain it.

It should have terrified him, this sudden knowledge that his deepest, darkest secrets were no longer his and his alone and indeed, there were moments when chaotic waves of panic threatened to breech his heavily reinforced levees of self-control. And perhaps, perhaps if it had happened with anyone other than Ginny he would have been terrified out of his wits, but when he looked into her eyes, when he felt the powerful undercurrent of love for him that lay beneath her every waking thought, Harry knew that he had nothing to fear.

She loved him.

She loved him so deeply that her fear of losing him had breeched the defenses that had been placed around the creature. Defenses that no one, not Hagrid, not Lupin, not even Moody had been able to break. And Harry, skilled as he was with fighting Dark creatures and in dealing with Dark magic had been clueless when it came to breaking the beast’s defenses.

The magic had cost Ginny dearly however. At first it had been pure physical exhaustion coupled with the pain of her own injuries, but then, when the creature had shimmered and changed, she’d been swept by a terrible blackness of spirit that had threatened to engulf her completely.

Harry hadn’t been entirely certain that either of them would make it out of the chamber after that. In fact, if it hadn’t been for Dobby, neither of them would have ever have made it as far as the hospital wing.

It had been Dobby who’d found Harry and Ginny when they had stumbled out of the Room of Requirement, Ginny supporting Harry’s weight as best she could but very near collapse herself. The elf’s tennis ball eyes had grown huge with shock when he’d seen the condition they were in; clothes soaked in blood, Harry pale as death and looking as if he were going to pass out at any moment, and both of them obviously exhausted, though oddly exhilarated in spite of everything.

Dobby had disappeared with a faint crack. He returned not more than five minutes later, magicking them both onto stretchers and down to the hospital wing as neatly as any teacher could have done, staying with them until Lupin (whom he had gone to alert) had sprinted into the hospital wing followed closely by Tonks, McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey, who had been clutching at a stitch in her chest.

Madam Pomfrey had wanted to separate them — put Ginny in another bed — but Harry had adamantly refused, clinging to Ginny’s hand as one would to a life buoy. Madam Pomfrey had relented for fear of upsetting him further, allowing another hospital bed to be drawn up beside his for Ginny.

The Order therefore, had been forced to wait until Madam Pomfrey had declared Harry to be out of danger this morning in order to get the details of what had happened in the Room of Requirement. Even now she had only allowed Lupin, and Professor McGonagall, insisting that the others wait outside the hospital wing so as not to overtax Harry’s returning strength.

Harry and Ginny explained as best they could, telling McGonagall and Lupin about the notes that each had received (supposedly from the other, although neither had sent the other any note at all) telling them to meet in an out of the way place and not tell anyone about it. How they had each gotten to the places mentioned in the notes, Ginny finding nobody but Myrtle and Harry finding the insubstantial Ginny and then being attacked by the creature. Harry had explained about fighting the beast and Ginny about telling the invisible door that she needed to find Harry and its opening onto the scene of the battle, how the beast had attacked her and how she had fought it until it had retreated, giving her the chance to get Harry out of the room.

That’s not the way it happened Gin, Harry had told her, arching his eyebrow at her.

That’s all they nee to know, replied Ginny with a slight nod. You know what will happen if they find out the truth.

So Harry had sat back, listening to her describe how she had held the beast off with stunning spells until she could get Harry out of harm’s way.

"So how did you know?" wondered Lupin.

"I heard him," said Ginny simply.

"You mean by using your discs?" said Professor McGonagall, rubbing the small disc that Mrs. Weasley had found snagged on her cloak where it had caught when Ginny had hugged her goodbye. Mrs. Weasley had showed it to her husband, who recognized it as similar to the design for a listening device that Fred and George had been working on for the Order the previous summer.

"No, that’s the one I lost in Hogsmeade," said Ginny, taking the disc from McGonagall and slipping it back onto its ring in her ear.

"Then how-" began McGonagall.

"I heard him in my head," said Ginny.

"In your head?" said Lupin, frowning slightly.

"It’s happened before," said Harry quietly. "But always when we were . . ." he paused, glancing around to make certain that neither Mr. or Mrs. Weasley were within hearing distance, "together."

"Never over distances of more than a few feet, anyway," added Ginny, ignoring both Lupin’s knowing smile and the slight thinning of Professor McGonagall’s lips. "I mean, he was two floors above me and on the opposite side of the castle."

You know what it was, Harry, what happened to us in there. Ginny added silently.

Harry knew. Down deep he’d known it since the moment Ginny’s lips had touched his there in the cavern where he lay in the cooling pool of his own blood. The Soul’s Blood Bond. What was he’d read in Dumbledore’s book?

… the Soul’s Blood Bond does not require any incantations or potions to be activated. It… is triggered entirely by the actions of the witch or wizard… by one witch or wizard not only risking their own life to save the life of another, but shedding their own blood in the process…Unlike the Life Bond, in which the life debt owed by the one rescued may be repaid by saving the life of the rescuer, the Soul’s Blood Bond can not be repealed or repaid. It can, however, be strengthened…If the one whose life was saved initially…sheds their blood in saving their rescuer’s life, a rare event called Doubling occurs… the bond between the rescuer and the rescue does not simply even out… but doubles, strengthening the original bond in ways that stretch the boundaries of magical comprehension…every instance of Soul Bonding known to wizarding kind has occurred between those who have doubled the Soul’s Blood Bond…

Soul Bonding. Harry felt a shiver crinkle his spine. There were stories of course. Stories of witches and wizards who had shared soul bonds, but they were, for the most part, dismissed out of hand by the modern-day wizarding community; or labeled as romantic fantasies for teenage witches.

He’d shed his own blood rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets all those years ago and now she had returned the favor, spilling her own blood to save him. The effect of the doubling had been instantaneous — and their growth of perception could only mean one thing, the stories were true.

But would they believe us if we told them? Ginny wondered

Probably not.

Ginny sighed, then said out loud, "Professor Lupin,"

"Remus, please Ginny, I haven’t taught here since you were in second year."

"Yes of course, but Prof — I mean Remus - regardless of how I heard Harry, regardless of how I was able to keep him alive, I think the most important thing right now is to find out how that — that thing-" Ginny paused, a shudder of revulsion passing through her slight form, "got into the school."

"The Aurors are working on that as we speak," said Professor McGonagall promptly. "They’ve been scouring the seventh floor for some trace of the beast."

"So they haven’t found it yet?" said Ginny a trifle too quickly, her voice a trifle less composed than it had been. Both McGonagall and Lupin looked at her curiously.

"We’ve tried every possible combination of words we can think of," said Lupin with a grim smile. "But no matter how we word it, we simply can’t seem to find the room where the beast is now. No one I’ve talked to recognizes your description of the chamber you were in."

Harry tightened his grip on Ginny’s hand. He could feel her pulse beating wildly just beneath the surface of her skin.

They’re not going to find out, Ginny.

But what if they do?

Her voice in his head was almost incoherent with fright and Harry knew that she was only moments away from breaking down altogether. Ignoring the people gathered around his bed, ignoring Lupin, who was now explaining something to Professor McGonagall, Harry reached out and turned Ginny’s head so that she was looking at him.

They won’t find him Ginny. They won’t find him because they don’t need to. The room knows if you truly need something or not. It won’t let them in — at least not to where he is. He’s dead, that’s all they need to know.

All they know is that the beast is dead, corrected Ginny.

Her eyes were shiny with unshed tears, and Harry knew that she was remembering those last few moments in the chamber, those moments when the beast which lay motionless on the chamber floor had shimmered — had changed — had turned into a tall, aristocratic man in ragged robes with a tangle of white-blonde hair spread fanned out on the floor like a nimbus around his pale, pointed face, it’s expression frozen in an eternal sneer.

Now, safe in the circle of Harry’s arm, Ginny tried to turn her head; tried to look away, but Harry refused to break eye contact with her, letting the full force of her guilt, the anguish she felt wash over him.

I killed him.

You did what needed to be done. Harry insisted.

But I killed him! I killed Mr. Malfoy!

You didn’t know it was Malfoy when you killed him.

It doesn’t change the fact that I killed him!

He was going to kill me, Ginny, you know he was.

Ginny choked back a sob. It wasn’t just the guilt over what she had done, but the fear of what would happen if the Ministry discovered that she had used an Unforgivable curse. If they did find Mr. Malfoy’s body, if they did somehow discover the chamber in which the body lay, it would be obvious as to what had happened. Harry pulled her closer to his side to stop her trembling.

"Personally," Lupin was saying slowly, in a resigned sort of voice, "I don’t think that we’ll have any luck in locating the chamber where the beast attacked you."

Harry looked up. It took him a moment to realize that Lupin was speaking, and another to realize that he was speaking to him.

"What was that?"

Lupin gave him a tired smile. "I don’t think we’ll find the beast from this end."

"From this end?" said Harry curiously.

"The Room of Requirement makes use of very old and powerful magic," said Professor McGonagall, her voice tight with concern. "There is no actual room behind that particular wall."

"No room?" Harry stared at her. Of course there was a room behind the wall! He’d been in the Room of Requirement, lots of times. They’d used what had seemed to be a Hogwarts classroom for their D.A. meetings during Harry’s entire fifth year. When he’d needed a place to hide the Half-Blood-Prince’s book, it had turned into a cathedral-like structure packed to the rafters with things generations of Hogwarts students and teachers had wanted to dispose of. And then this time — this time it had been an underground cavern with ornate arches and flagstone floors. "But I’ve been in there, Professor, you go through the door and-"

"No, that is an outside wall," interrupted Professor McGonagall with a small smile.

Harry stared at her. Of course it was an outside wall. He’d known that. Somehow he’d always known that. But he’d always thought that it must just be more of Hogwarts’ magic. And he supposed, in a way, that was exactly what it was.

"I — I thought that it was just a space, you know, like a magically expanded room or something," said Ginny shakily. "A place that is charmed or something to provide you with whatever you need, or the kind of room you’re looking for."

"It is charmed," said Lupin patiently. "But not in the way you’d think."

"I had to consult some of the some of the former heads," said Professor McGonagall with a small shrug. "They were able to tell me that it is a temporal and spatial relocation spell that has been placed on the invisible doorway."

"Er . . ." said Harry blankly.

"A temporal and spatial relocation spell?" Ginny repeated. "Are you talking about time travel?"

"In a manner of speaking," said Lupin, smiling slightly at the stunned expression on Harry’s face. "What it does is open a portal between the requester and the place where they can find what it is they are looking for. If that place is in the here and now then that is where the person will find themselves."

"Like Fred and George needing a brook cupboard to hide in," said Ginny slowly. "They were up on the seventh floor once, running from Filch, about to be caught. They needed a place to hide. They were looking for a broom cupboard or something."

"And a broom cupboard is what they found," said Lupin, nodding, "Exactly."

"But if there is nothing like what you need now?" prompted Harry.

"Then it will take you to a time when what you’re looking for is possible and available," said Lupin. His tone was matter-of-fact, but there was a crease between his eyebrows that Harry recognized as his worried look. There was something Lupin wasn’t telling him, something he was holding back.

"So there’s no way to tell what you’re going to get or where you’re going to go when you ask the room for what you need?"

"Not unless you’ve been there before," said Lupin. "Which would explain why you were able to have the D.A. meetings in the same room every time you met. Once you had asked the door for a place where you could learn how to fight — did you ask for a place to fight again? Or did you ask for the room you had used the last time?"

"Well, we’d sort of been referring to it as our Headquarters," said Harry slowly. "So when I went back, I said that I needed to find the Headquarters of the D.A."

"And it gave you the same room."

Harry nodded.

"But see, since you have no idea what the person who requested that room — that underground chamber for the beast — called it, there’s no way you could possibly find it again."

Which would explain, thought Harry, how he hadn’t been able to find Malfoy in the room of requirement last year when he’d been trying so hard. Malfoy had obviously asked for a place where he could work on his project — a place where he could hide the vanishing cabinet — without being discovered. The portal had obliged by giving him access to the cathedral like chamber, which it had obviously used on more than one occasion. The damned thing was probably so far in the future, or so far in the past, that it would never be discovered for real. And he had wanted to find Malfoy — he hadn’t needed to find him — and somehow the room — or the portal — had been able to tell the difference.

It’s all right Ginny! Don’t you see? Harry said excitedly. I was right. They won’t be able to find the chamber because they don’t really need to. They want to find it, but there is a world of difference.

Ginny glanced at him, her eyebrow raised skeptically, but there was a bright flame of hope in her eyes now, a flame warm enough that she was no longer shaking.

"And if we assume that that — that thing — was the one who requested the place . . ." began Ginny out loud, her voice trailing away as she considered the implications of Lupin’s statement.

"Then it, or he rather, would be the only one who knew what he’d asked for," said Lupin, nodding in agreement.

"He?" Ginny managed, her voice decidedly higher pitched than normal at the sound of the pronoun that turned a nameless beast into a person.

Lupin didn’t appear to have noticed her agitation for he answered her directly, and without so much as a look of wariness. "Moody thought it was probably a man," said Lupin evenly. "Or was once a man, anyway. The shields alone were a give away. No wizard can maintain protective shields on a person or thing so far removed from themselves for so long of a time. So, unless there is a witch or wizard of undetected power hiding out at Hogwarts, the only alternative was that the creature was casting his own spells. That would mean that he was most likely a wizard."

"Not if he was wearing one of Fred and George’s cloaks," Ginny pointed out in a rather desperate tone. "They’ve got hats and gloves too now, a whole outfit protected by shield charms. Someone could have put those kinds of things on — on whatever this was."

"But they’re visible clothes aren’t they?" said Lupin, frowning slightly. "I mean, the cloaks and gloves and things. That’s what Fred said in his presentation to the order. He showed us some. They look just like normal clothes, but then they deflect most minor curses and hexes. He said that the Ministry had ordered some for each of its employees. This beast thing wasn’t wearing anything other than its own skin, at least as far as I could see. It would stand to reason then that whatever was protecting it was current, active magic," said Lupin heavily. "Powerful magic."

"Casting a shield as protection for a witch or wizard not in direct contact with yourself takes a tremendous amount of energy," put in Professor McGonagall. "It has been done of course, but even the most powerful of wizards can’t actively protect another by means of shields for more than a few moments at a time."

"So you don’t think that Voldemort was-" began Harry.

"No," said Lupin and McGonagall together.

"We would have known if Voldemort was anywhere near the school," said Lupin smoothly.

"So whoever, or whatever it was," began Harry, "it was working on its own?"

"It had to be," said Lupin with a shrug. "It cast the double of Ginny, obviously a recorded image of her from earlier in the year, since you said that she was wearing school robes."

"That is very advanced magic," said McGonagall, sounding so much like Hermione that Harry and Ginny exchanged fleeting grins of appreciation. "To my knowledge there have only ever been five individuals in my lifetime that would have been capable of casting a complex charm of the type necessary to maintain such an illusion, and three of them are dead."

Harry’s head snapped around so quickly that he cricked it. "My dad?" he asked McGonagall, his voice beating quickly against his ribcage.

"Your father was a very talented wizard," said Lupin, putting a hand on Harry’s shoulder, "but Charms were never his area of expertise. Lily was always one ahead of him in that regard. She’s one of the one’s you’re speaking of I presume?" said Lupin, turning to McGonagall.

"The most talented witch when it comes to Charms that I’ve ever seen come through Hogwarts," said McGonagall appreciatively. "Yes, she is indeed one of the ones I was thinking of. The others were Albus of course, and then Frank Longbottom."

"Neville’s father?" said Harry quickly.

"Yes. He could make a hippogriff sit up and sing if he had half a mind to," said McGonagall with the ghost of a smile. "Used to drive his mother mad; she never was much of a hand at Charms."

"You said five," Harry reminded her. "What about the two that you know to still be alive?"

"Well, there’s Flitwick for one," said McGonagall. She paused then, took a deep breath and added, "and Lucius Malfoy."

Harry felt his heart plummet to the bottoms of his feet. Whether it was his own reaction or Ginny’s, he wasn’t sure and didn’t think it much mattered. Beside him, Ginny had gone so still that Harry had to poke her in the ribs to remind her to breathe.

"Lucius would know about the Room of Requirement either from Draco or from…from Severus," said McGonagall, her lips going very thin as she pronounced Snape’s name.

"Which still doesn’t explain how he got past the intrusion detectors," said Lupin, scowling at his shoes in a way that suggested that they had deeply offended him somehow.

"Could — could the Room of Requirement have been opened from — from somewhere else?" wondered Ginny.

"No," said Professor McGonagall flatly. "The Room of Requirement can only be opened from inside of Hogwarts. The charms and enchantments on it are supposed to prevent its interfering with anyone else in any other place or time."

"So he had to come in another way," said Harry with a shrug.

"Now without triggering the wards," insisted Lupin. "Whoever it was, they had to be an incredibly skilled wizard."

"Why not Snape?" suggested Harry. "He’s good — and he had a working knowledge of how the wards were set up."

"We changed them after . . ." Professor McGonagall took a deep, shuddering breath than finished. "We changed them directly after the events at the end of last year. There’s no way he could have broken the new wards."

"But he could have," insisted Harry. "He knows how your minds operate, Professor, he could have-"

"All that we know for certain, Harry," said Lupin, cutting across Harry with his voice raised slightly, is that there was a raid on Azkaban and that when the dust had settled Lucius was gone, so it would make perfect sense if he snuck onto the grounds and then transformed himself into whatever sort of thing that was."

Much to Ginny’s relief, Madam Pomfrey arrived just then to chivy Lupin and Professor McGonagall out of the hospital wing so that Harry could be given his evening medicine.

As Harry took the bitter potions that had been prescribed by the Healer, it dawned on him that there was only one possible way that Mr. Malfoy could have snuck onto the grounds without triggering the wards; only one way, and only one person who would be able to tell him for certain.

 

 

Back to index


Chapter 23: RECOVERY

I>

You've never lived until you've almost died, for those who fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.

-Anon.

 

 

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: Recovery

 

 

"Not possible," said Hagrid flatly, shaking his great shaggy head as if he were a dog shaking off water. "No creature that don’t belong in the forest could’av gotten through without me knowin’ about it."

"But how can you be sure?" insisted Harry.

Hagrid chuckled dryly. "I would ‘av heard about it, Harry," he said simply. "The creatures what lives in there don’t like intruders. They would have kicked up a fuss if any witch or wizard was trompin’ through their territory. I would have come to hear about it one way or another."

"But if it was invisible . . ."

"Wouldn’t matter," said Hagrid firmly. "Most of the creatures in the forest have extra fine senses of smell. They could tell it was really a human an not one of them."

"But what if the creature — whatever it was — was actually a creature and not human any more?"

"Well . . ." Hagrid ran his fingers through his tangled beard thoughtfully. "You mean, like when a witch or wizard drinks Polyjuice potion and turns into someone else?"

"Yes, exactly!" said Harry excitedly.

"But Polyjuice potion doesn’t work on cross-species switches," Hagrid pointed out. "I mean, look at what happened to Hermione with that cat hair," he said, grinning broadly now.

"Well, what if it was something like that," said Harry doggedly. "What if it was something we don’t know about yet, something that was able, for all intents and purposes, to change a man into a beast, or at least enough of a beast that he looked and smelled like one."

"It would still have a problem getting through" Hagrid pointed out. "There’s charms, enchantments all around the forest to keep people from stumbling into the forest by mistake."

"But what if it knew that," Harry insisted. "What if it still maintained enough human intelligence to be able to get past the barriers?"

"It would have to get through the forest itself," said Hagrid, now frowning slightly. "And the chances wouldn’t be good. If one of Aragog’s children didn’t get him then one of the Centaurs probably would."

"But if he were able to avoid them somehow?" Harry pressed, thinking of the disheveled Mr. Crouch that had turned up at the edge of the forest during his fourth year. "If somehow he were able to avoid the worst of the creatures, what would there be to keep him from slipping into the castle itself? Especially if he were somehow able to make himself invisible?"

Hagrid gave Harry a rather worried look. "I . . .er . . .do you think that’s what happened Harry?" he managed at last, shifting uncomfortably. "I mean, I think it’s pretty thin is all. I don’t see how there’d be many who’d be able to avoid everything in there. There’s the Acrumentlas of course, and the Centaurs, and Grawp, not to mention the last four Skrewts . . ."

Harry started. "They’re still alive, the Skrewts?" he managed weakly.

"Yep. Huge now. Stopped growing at 15 feet. One killed one of Aragog’s great-great grandchildren the other day. Raised its stinger right up over it’s back and there wasn’t a thing the beastie could do about it."

Harry shivered at the thought of a fifteen foot long Skrewt. The little one’s they’d raised as a project for Hagrid had been bad enough.

"Will . . .will they . . .er . . .breed?" Harry managed, his mouth now very dry at the thought of hundreds of tiny, wriggling Skrewts writhing around somewhere deep in the forest.

"Nah. The only ones left is males," said Hagrid sadly. "I suppose I could crossbreed some more females for them-"

"Probably not a good idea," said Harry quickly, wiping his suddenly sweaty hands on his pajama pants.

"Yeah, you’re probably right," said Hagrid with a heavy sigh. "Dumbledore covered for me with the Skrewts after Rita’s article got the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures interested. Great man, Dumbledore."

Hagrid stood for a moment looking at his baby-dolphin sized boots and blinking rapidly.

Harry shifted uncomfortably and was more than a little relieved when Hagrid gave a hearty sniff and seemed to recollect himself.

"Tell ya what, Harry. I’ll tell the Order about the possibility of someone making their way through the forest. It’s a slim option mind ya, but they might think it would be worth it to put wards around the entire perimeter of the forest."

Harry watched Hagrid go, Hagrid’s huge bulk, as usual, making him look out of place in a normal sized room.

"What do you think they’ll do?" Ginny wondered, coming around the curtained partition behind which she’d sat during their conversation.

"Who, the Order?"

"Yeah. Do you think they’ll look into it?"

"You know it’s the only thing that makes any sense."

"Well yes, of course, but Harry, how would they be able to tell if Malfoy — or the beast — or whatever it was — came through the forest?"

"Doesn’t matter really, does it? Gives them something to do besides. . .well, it gives them something to do." Harry’s voice trailed off and he shrugged.

"Something to do besides wonder how it was that I was able to know you were in trouble," finished Ginny with a wry smile.

"And how we were able to get away from that thing without it tearing us apart," agreed Harry, taking her hand and pulling her down to sit on the bed next to him.

"It very nearly succeeded," said Ginny, her fingers trailing lightly across his back.

Even through his pajama top, Harry could feel the slight lines of the scar tissue that had formed where Malfoy’s talons had raked his back. Though still raised and red, Madam Pomfrey promised that they would, in time, turn silvery and be nearly invisible. Right. Invisible. Just like the scar on the back of his hand.

Harry flexed his right hand, making a fist. I will not tell lies. Did that include lying to himself?

"You know, Gin, I think I’ve changed my mind," said Harry abruptly.

"About being an Auror?" asked Ginny with one eyebrow arched quizzically.

Harry gave her a wry smile. It was going to take some getting used to, this ability to for each of them to know what the other was thinking at any given time. "Yeah, that. I think maybe I should stop while I’m ahead. Can you believe that I used to wonder how on earth Moody got all the scars that he had?"

"Well, Kingsley’s an Auror, and Tonks, and neither of them are as scared as Moody was," Ginny pointed out.

"And neither of them has been an Auror nearly as long as Moody was," countered Harry. "But what would I do if I wasn’t an Auror?"

"What else would you want to do?"

Harry shrugged. He’d never given it much thought actually. He’d always assumed, at least until he heard the prophecy, that he would be an Auror, a Dark Wizard catcher when he was finished with Hogwarts.

It had all seemed very glamorous, and he knew that he’d be good at it. Defense Against the Dark Arts had always been his strongest point. But first with Scrimgeour’s attitude — offering him help in his chosen career if he would only be shown to support the Ministry — and then of course, knowing that he was the one destined to kill Voldemort — it all seemed rather pointless now. If he survived, he very much doubted if he would want to spend the rest of his life chasing down more Dark wizards.

"Then don’t," said Ginny simply, following his train of thought with apparent ease. "You know, I bet you’ve never actually counted the money in your Gringotts vault, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was more than enough to live on for the indefinite future."

"And if it isn’t enough?"

"Maybe they need another conductor on the Knight Bus," said Ginny with a mischievous grin. "Or maybe you’ll end up marrying a witch who is phenomenally successful in her own career. The point is Harry; you don’t have to be an Auror. Not if you don’t feel like it."

"I thought that was what I wanted," said Harry truthfully.

"But now you’re not so sure," finished Ginny.

"Right now there are only three things in this world that I’m sure of," said Harry, lowering his voice and tightening his grip on Ginny’s hand. "I’m sure that I want this finished," he said fiercely. I want to finish this, finish Voldemort, end it once and for all. I want it to end and then I want you and me to go to Goddric’s Hollow and finish that tree house."

"And the third thing?" said Ginny, very low.

"That I’m sure I never want us to be apart from each other ever again."

* * *

 

Harry soon discovered that just because Madam Pomfrey had declared him to be ‘out of danger’ didn’t mean he’d be sleeping in his own bed any time soon. What being ‘out of danger’ did mean was that Ginny was no longer allowed to keep him company through the nights, although Harry was more than a little convinced that he would have slept better if she had.

In fact, much to Harry’s chagrin, Madam Pomfrey kept him in the hospital wing until the Friday before the start of the new term to make certain that he finished taking all the potions that the Healer from St. Mungo’s had left.

"She wants to make certain that your internal injuries have healed properly," said Hermione had told him placatingly when Harry told her and Ron the verdict. "Internal injuries can be tricky. The spell Dolohov used on me caused me to start bleeding internally three times before she finally let me out."

Dobby was all for Harry staying in the Hospital wing indefinitely. "Dobby almost lost Harry Potter," he’d said, his tennis-ball shaped eyes brimming with tears. "Harry Potter is too great, too good to loose!"

It wasn’t so very bad. Madam Pomfrey allowed Ron, Hermione and Ginny pretty much constant entrance during the daytimes, and even allowed Ginny to stay with him at both breakfast and supper. During regular visitor hours there seemed to be constant stream of Order members who wanted to wish him well. All things considered, however, Harry was more than a little relieved to find himself back in his dormitory on Friday afternoon.

It had been a rather disturbing trip from the hospital wing to Gryffindor Tower. He wouldn’t have admitted it to Madam Pomfrey, but something seemed to be affecting his vision. Everything looked oddly skewed, as if his glasses were on crooked and yet, at the same time, everything from the vivid redness of Ron’s Hair to the cracks in the stone walls stood out in almost painfully sharp relief.

Harry stood in the doorway of the boys dorm, staring around him in utter amazement.

"It looks different," said Harry, peering around at the five four-poster beds, each hung with heavy, scarlet drapes. He’d never realized before that the hangings were embroidered, but now the deeper red embroidery stood out with a shimmering, scintillating depth that almost made them appear to move of their own accord.

"Nope. Same as it always was," said Ron brightly as he flopped down on his own bed.

"You sure?"

Ron looked around from Dean’s bedside table, which was littered with pieces of parchment and charcoal pencils, to Neville’s, where a row of wooden pegs wedged in between the stones served as hooks for a variety of dried plants and herbs.

"Yep. Must be you, mate. You’ve been gone a little over a week."

"Is that all?" wondered Harry thoughtfully. It seemed longer somehow; much longer. Harry heaved a great sigh as he sat down on the edge of his own bed.

"Dad said once that things change after you almost die," said Ron unexpectedly.

"Come again?" said Harry laughing in surprise.

"You know, everything’s supposed to become much clearer or something. Never could figure out exactly what it meant. Don’t suppose it was very important. You up to a game of chess, Harry?"

Harry shook his head slowly. The last thing he felt like right now was chess. He was too full of energy to sit still. What he needed was to get out of doors, take a walk around the lake.

You want to come with me Gin? A walk around the lake?

Just a walk?

Well . . . Harry couldn’t keep from grinning. It had been a very long week after all.

I’ll meet you downstairs in five minutes.

Harry moved to the window where Hedwig sat, hooting softly in welcome, her large, amber eyes full of a cool, clear logic and unmistakable intelligence.

"How come I never saw it before?" he murmured to her as he reached out a hand to stroke her feathers. Her eyes narrowed slightly, wrinkling at the corners in what was unmistakably a smile.

"Harry? Who’re you talking to?" said Ron, who had sprung off the bed and was now rummaging vigorously in his trunk.

"Hedwig," said Harry at once.

"You sure you don’t want a game? We could play Exploding Snap maybe, or Gobstones, I think I have a set in here somewhere."

"What’s the matter, Hermione in the library again?" asked Harry good-naturedly.

"Putting the final touches on that essay for Slughorn," said Ron with a groan.

"The one you haven’t started yet," said Harry, suppressing a grin. It had been a particularly nasty essay that Slughorn had assigned them, three rolls of parchment on the proper procedure for preparing Polyjuice Potion.

Harry, who had taken an active interest in Hermione’s brewing of the nasty stuff back in their second year, had remembered more than he’d realized and had finished it while he was laid up in the hospital wing, wishing as he did so that he could change into someone else just long enough to slip out from under Madam Pomfrey’s eagle eye.

"Of course. It’s not due until next Friday, no big deal." Ron removed a rather battered looking Gobstones set and a pack of self-shuffling exploding snap cards from his trunk. "Maybe Ginny’ll-"

"Ginny and I are going for a walk," said Harry at once. "I’d ask you to come . . .but . . ." he shrugged, grinning in spite of himself at the look of disgust that leapt onto Ron’s face.

"Enough already. She’s my sister, Harry, I don’t want to know the details." He tossed the Gobstones back into his trunk, slammed the lid and sank down to sit on its lid. "What am I supposed to do them?"

"Start your essay?" suggested Harry. Ron opened his mouth to argue, but Harry overrode him. "Who knows, just having you around her might remind Hermione of what it is she’s missing,"

"Well . . ."

"The two of you . . .lost in the stacks . . ."

"She’d never," began Ron. "Not Hermione. Not in the library."

"Don’t take no for an answer," said Harry, grinning wickedly. "Just go down there and sweep her off her feet."

"Yeah," said Ron, an odd, dreamy smile creeping across his face. "You know Harry, I think you just might have something there."

 

* * *

 

"And he agreed?" wondered Ginny in amazement.

"Yep. Seemed pretty enthused actually," said Harry comfortably. "The real question of course is what Hermione will think if he tries to desecrate her sacred library"

"Actually, she told me about an encounter she and Victor had in the library once during fourth year."

"Encounter?"

"Yeah, after the Yule Ball. They were quite thick for a while you know. Anyway, Hermione might not mind so very much."

Harry wasn’t entirely certain that he wanted to know what Hermione and Krum had been up to in the library. Instead of thinking about it, he leaned back against the blanket, his arms behind his head, trying to ignore the fact that he was lying nearly starkers on the shore of the lake in the middle of winter.

Harry would not have minded being alone with Ginny anywhere, but he wasn’t going to waste the chance to get out of doors again, especially with McGonagall’s relaxing the rule about students on the grounds now that the beast was no longer an immediate threat.

He’d heard of polar bear clubs, where crazy Americans jumped into icy cold water just because they could, but it had never had much appeal for him. He much preferred the latest Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes product that Ginny had brought along in her coat pocket.

The Instant Invisi-Shelter came packed in an egg-shaped container the size of a chicken egg. "Just tap the egg three times with your wand," read the slip of paper that Ginny had handed to him when she removed the egg from her pocket, "and crack open a whole new way to enjoy the out-of-doors."

It had been designed, she explained, to produce the witches and wizards who worked for the Ministry of Magic with portable shelters in case they were forced to be out of doors all night while on assignment. While available to all Ministry personnel, they were to be regulatory issue for those witches and wizards who worked as Aurors.

When activated, the shelters rendered anyone or anything inside of them invisible (so as not to attract the attention of local Muggles) and provided a barrier from excessive heat, cold, and biting insects within ten feet of the eggshell.

The shelter did everything it promised, except give Harry a feeling of security. Even though he knew that no one would be able to see him from the outside, he could see everything outside of the sphere with perfect clarity. And, somehow, the sight of fat, featherlike snowflakes disappearing just a few feet above his head unnerved him slightly.

"Beautiful, isn’t it?" said Ginny softly from where she sat beside him, clad only in her white bran and panties, her arms wrapped around her knees.

"But wrong," said Harry, frowning at the fat flakes. "I’d feel better if I couldn’t see anything else."

"You mean you’d have the appearance of being closed in?" said Ginny, repressing an inadvertent shudder as she turned to look down at him. "I’d get claustrophobic."

"Small spaces have never bothered me," said Harry, grinning up at her and snagging a lock of her red hair in his fingers. "Probably comes from having a cupboard as a bedroom for so long."

"Your aunt and uncle really kept you in a closet?" said Ginny, sounding appalled. "Ron told us, Fred and George and me, what you’d told him, but none of us really believed it."

"Oh, you can believe it," said Harry with a grimace. "It locked from the outside, and if I did anything wrong, as soon as I got home from school I’d be locked up."

"But what did you do in there?" wondered Ginny. "I mean, if they kept you locked up in a cupboard, you probably didn’t have very many toys."

"A few of Dudley’s old things," said Harry, shrugging. "But never anything interesting."

"So what did you do, read?"

"Have you seen my aunt and uncle?" Harry asked her. Ginny shook her head in the negative. "They’re not what you’d call book people. My aunt’s idea of relaxation is cleaning the house from top to bottom. My uncle doesn’t even know the word. His work is his life — if you can call running a drill company a life. And Dudley, well, I’m not certain that Dudley would know what a book was if he came up and bit it on his backside."

"Anyway, my aunt and uncle gave me a Christmas present the year I turned ten — a book — I think it was something someone had given Dudley and that he never touched. Anyway, it was called Emerson’s Essays."

Ginny stared at him. "You actually read Emerson’s Essays?"

Harry shrugged. "Not much else to do when I was locked up in my cupboard."

"Why would someone have given your cousin Emerson’s Essays?" wondered Ginny.

"No idea," said Harry with a shrug. "But that was one of my worst years for getting locked in my cupboard. I was always getting in trouble — making things happen — you know. Anyway, I must have read that book through at least six times that year. Didn’t understand more than half of it, mind, but it was better than sitting on my bed and staring at the wall."

"Why didn’t you get books out of the library?" Ginny asked, frowning. "I mean, mum used to take Ron and I down to the library in Ottery St. Catchpole. It wasn’t very big, but it still had lots of things to choose from."

"My aunt wouldn’t take me," said Harry simply. "And the library wouldn’t let me sign for my own card."

"I tried reading Emerson’s Essays once," said Ginny, a small smile playing at the corners of her mouth. "I didn’t get very far. That’s hard reading, Emerson."

Harry shrugged. "Self-Reliance was — still is - my favorite essay. The power which resides in him is new in nature, and none but he knows what that is which he can do, nor does he know until he has tried. That particular phrase always seemed to stir something up inside of me. It was like I knew that it was talking about me, I just didn’t know what it was that I was supposed to be able to do."

"Very appropriate," said Ginny, "seeing as that you didn’t have any idea that you were a wizard until Hagrid came to collect you. Also, given the prophecy . . ." she let her She stretched out beside him then, so that her head was pillowed on Harry’s shoulder. She turned her face into the crook of his neck, her warm breath tickling his cheek, "but wasn’t there an essay about love?"

Harry grinned up at the snowflakes as he answered, "Her existence makes the world rich. Though she extrudes all other persons from his attention as cheap and unworthy, she indemnifies him by carrying out her own being into somewhat impersonal, large, mundane, so that the maiden stands to him for a representative of all select things and virtues."

"That’s more like it," said Ginny, smiling against his neck. "Goddess worship at its best."

"Oh, you want worshipping now, do you?" he murmured, propping himself up on one elbow so that he could look down at her.

"You have no idea," said Ginny with a demure smile.

Harry waited for a full minute, grinning down at her, letting his eyes, with their new awareness, take in every detail of her face, the satin smoothness of her skin, the vivid depth of her hair, even as he began to see exactly what she had in mind.

"Far be it for me to deny a goddess anything she asks for," whispered Harry, and as he lost himself in the feel and scent and taste of her, he could almost believe that she was a goddess, a goddess which he was worshipping in her proper element here, out of doors, especially as he felt the tendrils of Ginny’s thoughts wrapping gently around his, pulling him into a deeper embrace than either of them had ever known before.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to index


Chapter 24: Losing Luna


One need not be a chamber to behaunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.

Emily Dickinson





CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: Losing Luna

Term began with a spate of very nasty weather; icy rain and bone chilling winds that whipped down out of the mountains and coated all of Hogwarts with a three inch layer of ice that grounded the owls and inspired the students to make the trek through the drafty corridors bundled up in their cloaks, hats and gloves and Hermione found that she had a new outlet for her knitted elf-hats.



“Blimey, Hermione, that’s the fifth one you’ve sold this week!” said Ron appreciatively as Hermione pocketed the six silver sickles Neville had just handed over for a gaudily striped peach and lime concoction.

“Well, its cold,” said Hermione logically, “and the hats, the uniform hats, they just don’t keep a person’s head warm.”

Harry agreed wholeheartedly. Not only were the pointed wizards hats seemingly pointless, they were damned uncomfortable and a downright nuisance if one was trying to do anything more strenuous than sitting in a classroom.

He hadn’t worn his own wizards hat in such a long time that it was most likely way too small now. He hadn’t bought a new hat since third year. Come to think of it, he hadn’t worn the hat since third year.

“Don’t cover the ears is what they don’t do,” grunted Ron in agreement as he gave the blue and white striped stocking cap he was wearing a grateful tug. “These hats are brilliant. This weather keeps up, Hermione,and you could make a bundle.”

“I hope it does keep up,” said Hermione brightly. “The sale of these hats is doing more to support S.P.E.W. than anything else has.”

Ron missed a step, landing on the trick step which Neville almost always forgot to jump. He sank up to his knees and had to be tugged loose by Harry and an exasperated looking Hermione.

“What did you think, Ron, that I’d just binned S.P.E.W. seeing as that no one was interested?” asked Hermione coolly as they turned into the corridor that led to the dungeons.

Ron wisely said nothing, but exchanged a significant lookwith Harry. That was exactly what he’d thought, and Harry knew it. What with Voldemort’s return and Sirius and Dumbledore’s death, Harry, like Ron, had assumed that Hermione had simply had other, more important things to think about than elf rights.

“What are you going to do with the proceeds, Hermione, fund another leaflet campaign?” wondered Harry idly.

“Don’t be a prat, Harry. Honestly, do you think that I am going to waste my time giving out papers that will end up scattered all over the castle and being used as kindling?” Hermione’s tone was condescending, but there was a smile on her face.

“What then, going to buy a house elf?” asked Harry.

“No, of course not. I’d have to sell more than a few dozen hats to buy a house elf. Besides, buying a house elf would sort of defeat the purpose of S.P.E.W.”

“Well, what then?” blurted Ron. “I mean, how are you going to help house elves by selling hats?”

Harry stifled a groan. That was the last thing he needed on a morning like this, to be treated to a ten minute lecture on elf rights.

“Don’t pretend to be interested in S.P.E.W. all of a sudden, Ron,” said Hermione sweetly.

“Never said I was interested in S.P.E.W.,” said Ron defensively. “I’m just curious as to what you’re going to do with the money.”

“Is that all that matters to you?” snapped Hermione, flaring up immediately.

Harry did groan then. Not three days into term and they were already rowing.

“What, you don’t want to hear about S.P.E.W. either I suppose?” said Hermione acidly, rounding on Harry.

“I never said anything about S.P.E.W.” said Harry shortly. “I just like it better when you two are snogging instead of arguing.”

Hermione, who had just opened her mouth to retort, closed it again abruptly and turned a shade of scarlet that would have made Uncle Vernon proud.

“The fact that the elves have been brainwashed into believing that this is what they want, well, it just goes to prove that she was going about it the wrong way,” came a new voice from behind them. “What she needs to do is find a way to re-educate them without their realizing that they are being re-educated, right Hermione?” came a new voice from behind them.

“Now don’t you start!” snarled Ron as Ginny joined them. She was wearing her cloak and one of Hermione’s hats (a purple and orange striped one that clashed horribly with her hair) but no gloves. She slipped her icy hand into Harry’s who gasped at the contact.

“Going to sign up for S.P.E.W. Ginny?” asked Hermione, beaming at her.”

“Don’t have the money,” said Ginny shrugging. “But I have some ideas.”

“That’s good enough for me,” said Hermione happily. “I’ll add you to the list!”

“God, Gin, you’re freezing!” said Harry, chafing both her hands between his.

“Bad in the dungeons?” asked Ron, barely blinking when Harry unfastened his cloak and pulled Ginny in against him before wrapping the cloak around the both of them.

“Not as bad as it is outside,” said Ginny, wrapping her arms around Harry’s waist and slipping her ice-cold hands under his jumper. “Luna’s went down to Care of Magical Creatures and forgot her gloves, so I lether borrow mine.”

“Your hands got that cold that fast?” wondered Harry.

“Well, actually, she borrowed them yesterday,” confessed Ginny with a sheepish grin.

“And she hasn’t given them back yet?” asked Hermione curiously.

“Well no. To tell you the truth, I haven’t seen her since I loaned her the gloves at the end of Charms yesterday. We’ve got a free period after lunch, and she was going down to help Hagrid with the Knarls for the third years.”

“Stupid, boring gits, Knarls,” muttered Ron.

“Yeah, well, she’s really good with the younger students,”said Ginny with a shrug. “And we all know that Hagrid can use the help.”

It was true, too. Hagrid had been stretched pretty thin overthe last week. Besides his classes, the drop in the temperature had caused all sorts of problems for some of the less hardy creatures living in the forest. Four Acrumentlas had been found dead, seemingly of natural causes (not that Harry was bemoaning the loss much) and had been buried with much fuss and many tears by Hagrid. The Bowtruckles were having to be fed (seeing as that theirusual diet of grubs and woodlice were buried beneath the sheets of ice) and theUnicorns had taken to lining up outside of Hagrid’s hut every morning so thatthey could have the ice brushed out of their manes.

“Now, now, Miss Weasley,” came Slughorn’s jovial voice fromthe dungeon doorway. “Best you be getting along to Transfiguration or Professor McGonagall may be wondering as to what’s keeping you.”

Ginny untangled herself rather reluctantly from Harry’s cloak and, ignoring Slughorn, gave Harry a swift kiss on the cheek before heading up the stone staircase that led to the Entrance Hall.

Harry watched her go, wishing that they both had a freeperiod, and then wondering where they would possibly be able to find a moment’s privacy even if they did.

Is that all you think about? Came Ginny’s teasing thought as she disappeared around the twist in the staircase.

Of course not, but Gin, after spending nearly every night with you for three weeks-

Two weeks. Ginny corrected. You were in the hospital wing that last week, in case you don’t remember

Yeah, well, you spent half of that with me anyway, Harry reminded her ashe followed Ron, Hermione into the dungeon and began unpacking his bag.

It’s only been four days, Harry.

That’s all?

Harry paused, considering. Slughorn was going on about something to do with the preparation of base potions as a means of being prepared for the quick production of more complex recipes.

Seems longer.

Only four days. Ginny assured him.

Too long by half. Harry decided, and grinned to himself as he felt Ginny’s responding flicker of lust lick at the edges of his awareness.

“. . .so what do you think, Mr. Potter?” Slughorn’s jovial voice cut through to Harry’s conscious brain with a rather painful abruptness.

“Sorry Professor, what was that?”

“I asked if you were feeling up to a challenge?” repeated Slughorn looking rather put out that his star pupil hadn’t been hanging on his every word.

“Er . . .?”

“Good man. Now then, using base potion 2311, that’s this one here,” he said, pointing to a large cauldron that was steaming gently beside his desk. “I want you to whip up the Reverse Attunement for Posterior Reduction. Remember to start where the base potion leaves off. Extra ingredients will reduce or reverse the effect. Miss Granger, using the same base potion, you will provide me with the straight Attunement for the same potion. Mr. Weasley . . .”

Harry gave a heavy sigh and, ignoring Hermione’sself-satisfied smirk, pulled out Advanced Potion Making, hoping against hope that Snape had written something, anything, that would allow him to maintain his status as top student in Potions.

* * *

It was cold in hell. The iciness was a part of him now. It had crept beneath his skin, chilling his blood and enshrouding his very soul in its crystalline shadow. He couldn’t move. He couldn’t breathe. But he could see, though with eyes that weren’t his own . . .

The room was dark, its window covered by dark and heavy drapes. The only light came from a fire flickering in the large stone fireplace and a lone candle sitting in a puddle of wax on the table pulled up beside the tattered wing chair pulled up before the guttering fire.

“It is a pleasure to have you here Master.” The voice coming from his throat was nasal, petulant.

Liar.” The high, cold voice filled the room, making the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. “You were not expecting me, Wormtail. You did not want me to come.”

“That’s not true my Lord, as you can see, I have kept your room just the way it was against your return.”

The laughter emanating from the shadowy armchair echoed off the walls, making his heart beat faster inside of its cage of ice-encrusted ribs. In the depths of the shadows a figure moved, shifting position until the light of the candle fell across its flat, snake-like features, a sight hideous enough to make him bend nearly double to avoid having to look at it. He was looking down, down at ragged rug, the wide cracks in the age-darkened floors,the hem of his own cloak and his hands, one which had rather stubby fingers with flat, square nails; the other slim and long-fingered and glowing silver in the flickering light of the fire.

“You haven’t even stepped foot inside this room since I left, Wormtail.” It was a statement, not a question, but Voldemort’s voice seemed amused rather than angry. “Not that it matters. I did not come for the small comforts you offer, Wormtail. I have come to tell you that you will soon have a guest . . .”

Harry woke with a start, not only with his scar burning, as was usual when he had these kinds of dreams, but an odd, aching pain in his left arm, almost in the exact location where Wormtail (better known as Peter Pettigrew, the man who had betrayed his parents and pinned the blame for their murder on his best friend, and Harry’s own Godfather, Sirius Black) had pierced him with his blade three years ago as he struggled, bound and gagged, in the graveyard of Little Hangleton. That could mean only one thing — the eyes through which he had been seeing were not Voldemort’s, but Peter’s.

Harry found himself sitting bolt upright as the realization of what this meant. He’d been dreaming of the cold for nearly a week now, ever since he’d felt Ginny’s icy hands down there in the dungeon. He’d seen the room in some of these dreams; seen it as if he were looking through someone else’s eyes, but until tonight there had never been anyone else in the room,and until tonight no one had spoken.

Now he knew. He’d had dreams like this before; dreams where he’d been in Voldemort’s body, looking out as the Dark Lord spoke to his underlings or revealed secret plans or meetings. He’d even had that one dream, or vision rather, where he had been in Nagini, the giant snake who was one of Voldemort’s closest companions. He had been Nagini as she had attacked Mr.Weasley outside of the Department of Mysteries.

This had been different. He’d been looking not out of Voldemort’s eyes, not out of Nagini’s, but Peter’s. That could only mean one thing. He’d been sharing Peter’s mind, his thoughts. Harry felt something thick in the back of his throat and felt as if he were going to gag. He’d been in Peter’s mind? The thought of sharing anything with that foul little-

“Harry?” Ginny’s voice was thick, groggy with sleep. “Harry, what is it? You’re shivering!”

A low murmuring then, Ginny renewing the imperturbable charm on the hangings. And then her arms, her soft warm arms were wrapped around him, drawing him back down into the sleep-scented bedclothes.

“Harry, what was it? Was it the dream again?” murmured Ginny, her breath warm against his neck.

“Yeah, well, not quite.”

“Not quite?”

“There was more this time,” Harry wrapped his arms around the slim form, drawing her tighter against him, luxuriating in the heat radiating from her skin. “This time it wasn’t just the cold or the rooms ofthe Riddle House. This time He was there.”

“He?”

“Voldemort. He was there. He was speaking to someone, to me.”

“To you?”

“Well, to Wormtail, but I was Wormtail. I was seeing the room, Voldemort, everything through Wormtail’s eyes.”

It was Ginny’s turn to shiver. “So this wasn’t like the other dreams. It wasn’t just the cold and the dark rooms. You were seeing through Peter Pettigrew’s eyes? Why?”

Harry paused, considering. Why indeed? A memory surfaced;slowly, sluggishly, Dumbledore’s voice, his calming, reasonable voice calming the disgust and fears of a thirteen-year-old wizard.

…When one wizard saves another wizard’s life, it creates a certain bond between them . . .this is magic at its deepest, its most impenetrable . . .

“I saved his life Ginny, like I saved yours. I remember, Dumbledore said that when one wizard saves another wizards life it creates a bond between them.”

“You mean like what we have?”

“No, not like we have. I didn’t shed any blood when I saved Peter’s life, I just stopped Lupin and Sirius from killing him.Dumbledore told me that in saving his life I’d created a bond between us, but I’ve never felt anything, not before tonight.”

“But Harry, if you share a bond with him, even if it’s just a thin one, why haven’t you felt him before?”

“Perhaps I didn’t need to,” said Harry, thinking hard. “I mean, it’s not like I’ve ever needed anything that a bond between us could give. . .” Harry shivered again. Did that mean that there was something he needed from Petigrew now? Ginny was speaking again.

“Did you see anything? I mean, besides the room and Voldemort? Did he, did Voldemort say anything . . .?”

“He said . . .” Harry paused, trying to remember. “He said that Wormtail obviously hadn’t been expecting him, and that . . .something about expecting a guest.”

“A guest?”

“Yeah, weird, isn’t it?”

“Very weird.” Ginny agreed.

They lay, arms and legs entwined for several minutes before Harry realized that while his brain may have been picking at the riddle of his dream, the rest of him was becoming rapidly distracted by the feel of Ginny’s body warm against his.

“You know what else is weird,” whispered Harry, propping himself up on one elbow so that he could look down at her. He could just see the outline of her face in the ray of moonlight that had found its way through a chink in the hangings.

“Hmm?”

“This time last year if someone had told me that I’d be here, with you, like this, I would have laughed in their face.”

“I thought you said that you liked me all of last year,” said Ginny poutingly.

“Well yeah, but my imagination only went as far as possibly getting a kiss from you — I hadn’t thought of, well, you know…”

“Of this?” whispered Ginny, her hands running over hisbody, eliciting shivers of an entirely different kind.

Harry rolled onto his back, pulling her with him until she was laying on top of him, her long silky hair falling about them like a living thing.

“Or this,” he whispered, pulling her down to his kiss, luxuriating in the feel of her skin against his, the taste of her mouth, the scent of her skin. Ginny shifted on top of him, and Harry found all thoughts of the dream evaporating like mist in the light of a summer’s dawn.



* * *



The cold snap lasted the whole week, as did Harry’s dreams. But it was Luna’s continued absence that had everyone concerned now. No one had seen her since the day Ginny had loaned her the gloves and the rumors were flying thick and fast.

“Well, we can rule that one out,” said Ginny, smiling grimly as they passed a knot of fourth years on their way to supper who were assuring each other that Slytherin’s monster was once more loose in the castle. “What I don’t understand is how she could possibly have disappeared between the castle and Hagrid’s — and in broad daylight too!”

“That — that thing disappeared,” Harry reminded her. “The one you . . .er . . . took care of.”

Malfoy you mean? said Ginny sub-vocally.

Harry nodded.

“Yeah, well, he’s dead, isn’t he? It can’t be him!”

“But what if there was more than one?” Harry said, frowning at a group boisterous Slytherins who cut in front of them.

“What do you mean?”

“Voldemort,” said Harry, lowering his voice to a near whisper. “How do we know that he didn’t use that same charm on someone else?”

“Hagrid,” said Ginny, shaking her head. “According to him security around the forest has been beefed up considerably. The alarm went off just last week because a mooncalf tripped the boarder ward. We’d know if someone had gotten in through the forest.”

Harry sighed heavily as they pulled up seats at the Gryffindor table. There was nothing he could do; not without more information to go on, but the thought of the dottily charming, selectively naive Luna at the mercy of someone like Malfoy was enough to make his stomach churn.

He toyed listlessly with his Shepard’s Pie, hardly noticing when Neville collapsed onto the bench beside him.

“You okay, Neville?” asked Ginny, leaning over Harry to address Neville.

“Yeah. It’s just . . .” he swallowed hard, not looking up from his empty plate. “Have you heard what people are saying?”

“A load of codswollop,” said Hermione primly as she and Ronslid onto the bench across from them. “They don’t know what they’re talking about, Neville.”

“Yeah, I know,” said Neville heavily. He looked dreadful. He’d lost a good deal of weight in the last week, and his thinning face wasn’t complimented by the dark, purplish shadows under his eyes. He looked, thought Harry, as if he were haunted.

“I’ve talked to Luna’s father. He was here just yesterday to talk to Professor McGonagall,” continued Neville.

“He must be going spare,” said Ron around a mouthful of steak. “She’s the only family he’s got.”

“Yeah, I remember her telling me about her mum dying in some sort of spell accident,” said Harry, his forehead furrowed.

“Luna was nine,” said Ginny quietly. “And her mother was trying out a new combination of ingredients, they didn’t take.”

“Exploded in her face actually,” said Neville heavily. “Luna was right there — she saw the whole thing.”

“Poor kid,” said Ron, shaking his head as he helped himself to another baked potato.

Harry felt a chill touch his heart as he remembered Luna’s telling him about her belief that her mother and Sirius and the others were waiting for them just behind the continually shifting veil of the death arch. He felt responsible somehow, as if he could have kept this from happening.

If it was Voldemort that was responsible for Luna’s disappearance, then he was responsible. This was why he had set out to find the Horcruxes to begin with — to destroy Voldemort once and for all, to keep things like this from happening, to keep the innocents like Luna from falling prey to the Dark Lord’s insatiable appetite for violence and fear.

But why Luna? Harry toyed with his goblet of pumpkin juice, surreptitiously watching Neville pretend to eat as he did so. Why would Voldemort take Luna of all people?

Harry stared at the goblet in his hands, at his distorted reflection in its curved surface. Harry but not Harry, as if another Harry, a Harry very similar to himself were waiting, lurking, just under the surface of the goblet’s skin. He removed one hand from the goblet’s stem to tuck an unruly lock of hair behind his own ear and froze in mid-motion.

His hand glowed gold in the light of the hundreds of candles hovering over the four house tables. He could almost imagine that his hand was made of gold, the same way that Peter Pettigrew’s hand was made of shimmering silver . . .and Luna . . .wherever she was, at least her hands would be warm, providing of course that she still had Ginny’s gloves . . .

Harry stood so abruptly that the bench on which he had been sitting tipped backwards, spilling Neville and Ginny unceremoniously to the floor.

“Harry?” Hermione was on her feet, her hand stretched outto him across the table, her pale white hand, slim and supple, a pleading gesture. “What’s the matter, Harry? Harry, stop!”

But Harry couldn’t answer, he staggered from the Great Hall, his head spinning, his breath coming in great, shuddering gasps. He had to go . . .now . . .before anyone stopped him.

“Harry?”

A hand on his shoulder, Neville, his eyes uncharacteristically sharp and shrewd in his pale and thinning face. Neville’s hands were on his shoulders, turning him around, pinning him with his gaze. And behind him, Ginny, her robes askew, eyes wide with comprehension as she felt Harry’s realization rush through her. Ron and Hermione on his other side now, Ron’s arm under his elbow, Hermione’s mouth moving, but he couldn’t hear, he couldn’t hear anything but the pounding of his own heart and the thundering realization: He knew where Luna was. He knew who had her. There wasn’t amoment to lose.

Back to index


Chapter 25: Hide and Seek

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive

The supreme irony of life is thathardly anyone gets out of it alive.  -Robert Heinlein

 

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR:  Hide and Seek

 

 

 “So this is where the Portkey brought you Harry, duringthe Triwizard tournament?” muttered Ron as they Apparated on the hilloverlooking the Riddle house. 

 

Ron released Harry’s arm looking self-conscious.  He’d beenrather offended when Harry suggested that both Ron and Ginny do side-alongApparition when coming to the Riddle house. In Ginny’s case it was a simplematter of keeping her from getting in any unnecessary trouble, seeing as thatshe was still underage. 

 

Ron, however, for all that he had passed his Apparitiontest on the second try, still tended to overshoot his mark nearly every time heApparated.  This had caused some problems, especially when (according to Ginny)he had ended up in the frog pond behind The Burrow while Apparating home fromthe village of Ottery St. Catchpole one afternoon.

 

Harry didn’t think it was a good idea to take the chance ofRon’s overshooting the mark and ending up on the front doorstep of the RiddleHouse, ruining their element of surprise or (heaven forbid) a mile away in thevillage proper.

 

Neville, who insisted on coming too, had surprised Harrywith reports of a perfect Apparition test.  Harry had been even more surprisedwhen Ron had admitted outright that Neville was better than he was atApparition.

 

“Yeah, he’s nearly as good as Hermione,” said Ron, grinningat Neville who had gone a delicate shade of pink. 

 

“Well, Gran’s been having me practice all summer,” Nevillehad muttered.  He gave Harry a lopsided grin and then added, “you should seehow excited she is about me finally being able to do something right.”

 

Now, only a few minutes (but several hundred miles) later,Harry stood with Ron, looking over Little Hangleton with an odd feeling ofdread weighing down his insides.  Getting here had been easy enough.  The hardpart had been in getting everyone out of the castle without being seen.

 

In the end, all it had taken was to set off one of theDecoy Detonators that Harry had gotten from Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes.  Theweird little device had been set off by an unsuspecting Colin Creevey intowhose bag Harry had tucked it (with a whispered spell that would activate itonce Colin reached the seventh-floor corridor) when Colin stopped to tie hisshoe in the Entrance Hall.

 

In the meantime, Ron, Hermione, Neville and Ginny hadhidden out in an unused classroom on the third floor, just around the cornerfrom where a burly Auror stood guard over the one-eyed witches passage out ofthe castle. 

 

When the Detonator had gone off (with a shrieking soundlike a Muggle fire siren, a sound which was completely audible two floors down)the Auror had bolted for the nearest staircase, his watch deserted.

 

Once the five of them had slipped through the narrow spacein the witch’s hump (a much tighter squeeze now than when Harry had beenthirteen), it had been a relatively simple matter to traverse the tunnel thatled to Hogsmeade.  They didn’t even have to walk the entire distance, for onceHermione had determined that they had crossed the boundary of the Hogwartsgrounds, it was only a matter of focusing on the location to which they wantedto go.  And now . . .here they were.

 

 “The graveyard, over there,” said Harry, nodding in thedirection of the stone church with its squat spire and its guardian Yew trees,beneath which lay a scattering of stone and marble tomb stones.  “That’s whereVoldemort came back.  That big headstone in the middle, they had me tied up tothat.”

 

Ron shivered. “And you came back here this last summer,yeah?”

 

Harry nodded, not especially wanting to relive the time hehad spent searching through the Riddle House for the cup.  He’d been so certainthat he would find Hufflepuff’s cup hidden somewhere on the premises.  Hislittle run-in with Wormtail had been a nasty climax to the entire ordeal.

 

There was a crack like a whip, and then Neville was standingbeside them.  His eyes had lost none of their hardness.  He scanned thehillside, taking in the graveyard and the large house at the top of the rise. 

 

“That’s it then?” said Neville, nodding towards therambling brick manor house.

 

Impressed in spite of himself at Neville’s accuracy, Harrynodded, but Ron said, “Come on, Harry, what makes you think someone would bekeeping Luna here of all places?”

 

“Because it’s the last place anyone would think to look forher,” said Harry shortly.

 

“But there’s been Aurors watching this place for a year!”Ron insisted.

 

“Then what better place to bring her?” said Nevilleunexpectedly.  “Harry’s right Ron.  If Aurors have been watching this placecontinually for a year, then they’ll be certain by now that no one is usingit.  They’ll have gotten lax, sloppy.  It would be easy to sneak someone by.Especially if they were disguised to look like something else.”

 

“Or disillusioned,” murmured Harry.

 

There was a soft pop of displaced air and Harry turned tofind Hermione and Ginny standing just behind them.

 

“Bang on, Hermione,” said Ron, grinning at her. 

 

“Well, Harry gave me good directions,” said Hermionebeaming.  “And speaking of directions,

 

Harry had planned on brining Ginny himself and letting Rongo along with Hermione, but Ron had insisted that he and Harry go first,earning himself a frown from Hermione and a scowl from his sister and one ofthem (Harry thought it had been Hermione) had muttered something that soundedvery much like “boys!”

 

“I don’t care what she says,” Ron had muttered to Harry ashe’d taken Harry’s arm, his wand clenched tightly in his other hand.  “I’m notletting her get hurt if I can help it.  If there’s someone waiting for us I’drather it got me first.”

 

Harry had found himself Apparating with a grin on his faceand Ginny’s voice in his ear; what a bunch of macho bullshit, Hermione couldkick Ron’s ass if she had half a mind to!

 

He looked around at them all now; the core of the D.A; thesame group that had risked their lives to fight off the Death Eaters when theyhad snuck into the school last summer.

 

Here we go again, he thought a touch wildly.

 

All except for Luna, Ginny corrected him, and Harry felt hisbreath catch in his chest.  Dotty, dependable Luna.  She’d risked her life twicefollowing Harry into danger; risking his to find her now was the least he coulddo.

 

 

*     *     *

 

 

Harry squinted through the gloom of the cavernous openspace that, he supposed, could have been called a living room, or great room,or maybe a ballroom for all he knew.  One thing was certain, whatever this roomhad been used for when people had actually lived here, number four Privet Drive could have fit inside the room (chimney and all) with room to spare.Behind him, a shadow shifted, and Harry very nearly jumped out of his skin as aheavy hand fell on his shoulder. 

 

“Just me,” grunted Ron’s voice. 

 

Harry shifted his head slightly and found that if hesquinted just so he could just make out the outlines of Ron’s shape against thewarped paneling that lined the walls.  It had been Neville’s idea to use thedisillusionment charm on all of them, though he had given the credit to Harry,saying that his comment back on the hillside had given him the idea.

 

“Damn it Ron,” Harry hissed, “aren’t you supposed to be onthe other side of the room with Neville and Hermione?”

 

“Was,” whispered Ron.  “Found something though.  You shouldtake a look, come on.”

 

He grabbed Harry by the sleeve of his robe (Harry in turn grabbedGinny’s hand) and tugged them across the room to the large stone fireplace thattook up a third of one wall.  Overhead hung a magnificent ten point buck withdeadened, glassy eyes.  Ginny paused and Harry felt her shiver of disgust asshe squinted up at the morbid display.

 

The buck wasn’t the only animal whose head was mounted onthe walls in this horrid room.  On the opposite side were a collection of foxes,about eight of them, grouped around a large, silvery furred wolf.  Harry hadfelt a distinct pang when he’d caught site of the wolf.  Perhaps it was hisaffinity for Lupin, but somehow wolves always seemed as if they were tryingvery hard to tell him something . . .let him in on a secret.  And this one . ..this one had been silenced by a taxidermist’s scalpel.

 

Harry felt, rather than saw, two more shadows slip acrossthe stone mantelpiece’s surface and join himself, Ron and Ginny on thetattered, rotten hearthrug.

 

“What did you want to show me?” murmured Harry.

 

“Just here,” said Hermione’s voice.  “In the fireplace. See the footprints?”

 

Harry did.  There were dozens of them leading not justacross the hearth, but into and out of the fireplace itself.

 

“Why would anyone want to go into a fireplace?” wonderedHarry out loud.

 

“For this,” said Ron’s voice.  Harry watched as — seeminglyof its own accord — a protruding stone in the firebox wall began to sink.  Amoment later a narrow opening had appeared.

 

“How the devil did you find that?” muttered Harry, lightinghis wand with a flick of his wrist.  A narrow beam of wand light appeared wherethe tip of his wand should have been.  It was very odd to see the beam hangingthere in mid-air, like an invisible flashlight.

 

“Neville spotted it,” said Hermione’s voice.  It sounded asif she were grinning.

 

“Bumped into it more like,” said Neville’s rather sheepishvoice.  “I bent over to tie my shoe and my backside hit it.”

 

“Neville,” said Ginny curiously.  “If you’re disillusioned,how did you know that your shoe was untied?”

 

“Tripped on it,” muttered Neville.

 

“Don’t knock it,” said Harry, grinning broadly.  “It workeddidn’t it?”

 

“You think — you think they took Luna through there?” saidNeville in a trembling voice.

 

“Well, someone’s gone in relatively recently,” saidHermione matter-of-factly.  “And chances are that whoever they are, they aren’tup to anything good.

 

“Looks like they’ve come out too,” said Ron.

 

“And more than once,” chimed in Neville.

 

“Oh come off it!” growled Harry.  He readjusted his grip onhis wand, took Ginny’s hand, and stepped into through the narrow opening.

 

 

*     *     *

 

Harry mopped his face with the hem of his robes.  Thenarrow passageway was stiflingly hot and it felt as if they’d been climbingthis damned staircase for hours.  It was a very narrow, very steep staircasewhich, from the feel of it, wrapped itself around the chimney.

 

“Its — its only been three minutes?” gasped Hermione fromsomewhere behind him.  Her voice was barely audible above the roaring of thewind in the chimney and, from somewhere overhead, the creaking of floorboardsand clanking of fire tongs — probably someone putting more logs on the fire.

 

“Seems . . .longer . . .” panted Neville from even furtherback.

 

“What I want to know is why on earth anyone would want toput in a secret staircase in a house this damned big,” came Ron’s exasperatedhiss.  “I mean, there’s at least three other staircases that would be moreconvenient if you were trying to sneak out, or escape or something.  If someonetried to use this one in a hurry they’d end up with a cracked skull.”  Ronwinced again as his head made abrupt contact with yet another ceiling beam.

 

“Only someone as tall as you Ron,” said Hermione sweetly. 

 

“Shh,” cautioned Harry in a whisper.  “There’s a door uphere and I’ve got no way of telling what’s on the other side.”  He pressed hisear to the wooden panel.  There were voices all right — at least two peopletalking.  One voice was higher pitched than the other.  Could it be Luna?

 

They had the element of surprise, there was no doubt aboutthat, but there was absolutely no way of telling how many people were on theother side of that wall — or even what kind of people they were.  There was nopoint in bursting into the room — surprise or no surprise — if Luna wasn’tthere.  If there was more than one Death Eater in the room they would make easytargets popping through this narrow doorway one at a time.

 

“Give me a minute,” breathed Ginny.  A moment later she hadturned into a cat and had slipped through a chink in the plaster of the wallabutting the hidden door.

 

“I still can’t get used to that,” murmured Ron, shaking hishead.

 

A moment later the cat reappeared and, with a soft sigh ofdisplaced air, turned back into Ginny.

 

“It’s Luna all right,” she said in a barely audible voice. She avoided Neville’s eye as she added, “she doesn’t look very good, andthey’ve got her tied up.”

 

“Who else is in there?” murmured Harry.

 

“There’s three of them, Peter Pettigrew and two stocky onesI didn’t recognize.  Anyway, they’re right outside of opening. There’s a chairright up against the door too, although it doesn’t look like a door from theother side.  Just looks like part of the paneling.  So either they know aboutthe passage or it’s just a lousy coincidence.  Either way, we won’t be gettingin there through this,” she said, motioning towards the door.  “At least notwithout alerting them to the fact that we’re here.”

 

“I suppose we could Apparate in,” whispered Hermionetentatively.  “I mean, If you described the room to us Ginny . . .”

 

Ginny opened her mouth to speak but a series of sharpcracks — the distinctive sound of a witch or wizard Apparating — distracted her. Whatever she had been about to say was forgotten as, from the other side of thewall, came the sound of chairs scraping across the floor, muffled shouts andindistinct cries of pain.

 

“Aurors!” breathed Ron, looking excited.  “Bet youanything!”

 

“But how would theyknow-” began Hermione, but Harry wasn’t listening.  Harry was moving; a tightcircle, eyes closed, his entire mind focused on being on the other side of thewall.  And then he was.

“Harry, down!” shouted a voice, Lupin’s voice.  Harry hitthe floor, a flash of bright red light just missing his hair, and an instantlater a heavy weight fell across his legs; one of the Death Eaters who appearedto have been cursed with the Full Body Bind.

 

Harry raised his head a fraction, just in time to seeTonks, who had what appeared to be a nasty burn all down the right side of herface, bring down another burly Death Eater with a well-placed stunning spell.

 

“Avada-” began a voice that Harry knew at once belonged toPeter Petigrew.

 

Another loud crack of displaced air, a yelp of pain, andthen the door to the bedroom slammed shut. 

 

Harry raised his head in time to see Lupin dash across the openspace and fling it open.

 

“Remus?” came Tonks’ rather shaken voice.

 

“Stay here!” barked Lupin, glancing over his shoulder justas Ron, Hermione, Neville and Ginny Apparated (Ron landing on Harry’s shin andgoing down with a “woof” of displaced air.  Hermione, who had Apparated in justbehind Ron tripped over Ron’s outstretched arm and sprawled unceremoniously onthe ragged hearthrug).  “Keep them safe.”  And he was gone, his footstepsthundering down the hall.

 

“Well, since you lot are here, you might as well help me,”said Tonks, pointing with her wand to the stunned Death Eater who was alreadybeginning to stir.

 

Neville didn’t hear her — he had gone directly to Luna whosat crouched by the fireplace, her long blonde hair hanging limp and stringydown her back, her face caked with dust and tears.  One arm seemed to be bentat a rather odd angle and was  cradled against her chest.

 

Hermione sprang to her feet, flicked her wand at the DeathEater and cried “Incarcerous.”  Ropes sprang from the tip of her wand, bindingthe bulky man neatly, the ends of the rope tying themselves into perfect squareknow, ends tucked neatly in.

 

Ginny caught Harry’s eye, one eyebrow raised.  I’msurprised it wasn’t a bow.  And though she hadn’t spoken out loud, Harrycould still detect the smirk in her voice.  She was beside him them, tuggingthe rigid Death Eater off of his legs, rolling him over and over until he layon his side, back propped against the footboard of the bed frame  that took upmost of an entire wall.

 

“Who is he?” Ginny asked, looking at Tonks who was standingvery still as Hermione anointed her painful looking burn with a day-glo orangesalve that she had conjured from thin air.

 

Tonks took a sidelong glance at Luna, to whom Neville wasnow speaking in a low, soothing voice as he used his wand to set her arm.

 

“Name’s Atkinson,” said Tonks, careful to move her mouth aslittle as possible.  “He’s the owner of Pacific Emporium in Knockturn Alley.”

 

“Pacific Emporium?” said Ron questioningly.

 

“The one with the shrunken heads?” wondered Harry out loud.

 

Tonks shot him a sharp look, her eyes narrowed.  “And howwould you have been hearing of Pacific Emporium?”

 

“Er . . .” began Harry rather sheepishly.

 

“Thought Molly would have kept a better eye on you thanthat, the times you’ve gone to Diagon Alley,” muttered Tonks, more to herselfthan to him.

 

“I’ve never been to Pacific Emporium,” said Harrytruthfully.  At least he’d never gone in.  He had been to KnockturnAlley though, twice actually; Once by mistake when he’d overshot his gratewhile traveling by Floo Powder at the beginning of his second year.  And oncejust last year when he’d followed Malfoy to Borgin and Burkes and both timeshe’d passed Pacific Emporium.  “Er . . .Tonks . . .how did you know wewere here?”

 

“Remus has a map,” began Tonks, with a small shrug. 

“No, he gave that back to me at the end of third year,”said Harry, now frowning slightly.

 

“Different map,” said Tonks with a grimace as Hermione’swand slid over a particularly sensitive spot. 

 

“A different map?” managed Harry, feeling stunned.

 

“Yeah.  More like a homing beacon really.  It’s mainly setso that he can make sure you’re all right.”

 

Harry stared at Tonks for a long moment, a number ofthoughts all vying for attention at the same time.  Surprise, shock, and a deeptwinge of anger at finding out that he was still under surveillance.

 

“You lot are watching him?” said Ginny, rounding onTonks with a vehemence that took Harry by surprise. 

 

“What?  No — not like that.  I didn’t know anything aboutit — nobody did — until Remus came flying down the hall shouting somethingabout you playing the bloody hero again.”  Tonks ran a hand through her spikypink hair, her eyes rather wild.  “And speaking of Remus, he’s been too long,”she said distractedly, her eyes darting to the bedroom door which gaped openinto the gloom of the hall.  “Can the four of you keep an eye on these two?”she said briskly, pulling her wand out of her pocket and feeling her facegingerly with her fingertips.  “You all right Luna?” she asked as Neville ledthe rather haggard looking Luna over to the others.

 

Luna nodded, then winced as her arm brushed against theback of a filthy armchair.

 

“Good — we’ll get you back to Hogwarts, I promise, butfirst I’ve got to find Remus.”

 

“We have to find Remus,” Harry corrected her.  

Ginny looked around at her, her eyes wide, then gave him asmall nod.  “We can hold them Tonks,” she said, addressing the pink-hairedwitch who was already halfway to the door.

 

“No Harry, it’s too dangerous,” said Tonks abruptly.

 

“Well, that’s never stopped me before,” said Harrybrightly.  “Besides, I don’t think any of us should be going anywhere alone inthis house, not with Pettigrew on the loose.”

 

As if to emphasize his words a shout from below caused themboth to take off down the upstairs hall at top speed.

 

 

*     *     *

 

They found Moony and Wormtail in the cavernous kitchen. Each had their wand out, covering the other as they slowly circled the largewooden chopping block in the middle of the kitchen. 

 

Both men looked up when Harry and Tonks arrived, unannounced,in the doorway, but it was Lupin who recovered first, hitting Peter with astunning spell that left the mousy little man lying in a crumpled heap on thecold flagstone floor.

 

With a cry of relief Tonks threw herself into Lupin’sarms.  “Thank god,” she said, her voice shaking.  “I thought I might have lostyou!”

 

“You almost did at that,” said Lupin, smiling slightly atHarry over the top of Tonks’ head.  “He’d transformed back into a rat — jumpedat me from a ceiling beam when I walked in, transforming in mid-jump.  Henearly had me.” 

 

Harry shivered, glancing down at the man still lyingmotionless on the floor.  What on earth could change a person so much that theywould attack a person who had once been one of their best friends?

 

Wormtail twitched, his hand jerking in a spasmodic movementand then — he blinked.

 

“Watch out!” yelled Harry, as Lupin and Tonks both sprangapart, wands at the ready.

 

“Not so fast, Peter,” growled Lupin, grabbing the smaller manby the arm as Wormtail shoved his hands under him in an attempt to leverhimself up into a sitting position. What came next happened so fast that Harrycould have sworn that he hadn’t even had time to blink.

 

Lupin bent down to haul Wormtail to his feet whenWormtail’s right hand came up in an abrupt, slashing gesture, catching Lupin aglancing blow across the cheek.  It would have seemed almost comical if Harryhadn’t seen the sudden blossoming of scarlet blood on Lupin’s face and his eyesgrow large with surprise as his grip on Wormtail loosened and he toppled to thefloor.

 

It was Tonks’ scream that brought Harry to his senses asshe shoved past him, her wand making an almost casual gesture that causedseveral gashes to appear in Wormtail’s filthy robes - deep gashes, to judgefrom the copious amounts of blood that suddenly seemed to be covering thekitchen floor.

 

She was at Lupin’s side in a heartbeat, her hands tremblingas she turned him over.  Harry winced at the ragged gash — or gashes ratherthat ran across Lupin’s stubble-covered cheek.  It looked for all the world asif someone had taken their fingernails and — with superhuman strength — scratchedHarry’s old Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher from forehead to chin,cutting him very nearly to the bone.

 

Harry turned to check Wormtail, who was now laying in acongealing pool of his own blood.  All the color had gone from his face.  Harryreached out a tentative hand to feel for a pulse; nothing.

 

“Er . . .Tonks?” said Harry, turning to the witch who wassobbing convulsively over the twitching form of Remus Lupin.  “I . . .I thinkhe’s dead.”

 

She turned her streaming eyes upon him then, and the fiercelook on her face was one Harry hoped that he would never seen on another livingbeing.  “Of course he’s dead, Harry.  You don’t think I’d let the bastard liveafter what he just did, did you?”

 

Harry stared at her, uncomprehending.  He looked back downat Peter Pettigrew.  This time he registered the unnaturally silver glint ofPeter’s restored hand — the hand that had been given to him by Lord Voldemort;the silver hand whose fingers were now caked with quickly drying blood;Lupin’s blood; Lupin’s silver-sensitive werewolf blood.

 

Back to index


Chapter 26: The Accidental Bastion

Author's Notes: My apologies to all those who have been following this story and who have waited so patiently for an update! Real life has been playing havoc with my schedule this past month - a new job, an emergency road trip, a ten-year-old placing third in the National Tae-Kwon-Do Championships (sorry, shameless bragging that!) Anyway. Things have finally settled down,and I should be able to post the remainder of THE DARK AND WINDING PATH relatively quickly now! Thank you so much for your patience!


A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minuteslonger

A hero is no braver than anordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer.

~Ralph WaldoEmerson

 

 

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX:  The Accidental Bastion

 

 

“What can we do?” wondered Harry worriedly.  He didn’t likethe way Lupin’s limbs were twitching sporadically and even more worrying; hisskin was turning a disturbing shade of slivery blue.

 

“We have to get him to St. Mungo’s,” murmured Tonksdistractedly as she tried to lever Lupin into a more manageable position.

 

“No, don’t move him!” came a new voice, Neville’s voicefrom the doorway behind them.

 

“He’s dying Neville!” snapped Tonks, swiping fiercely atthe tears that were now streaming down her face.

 

“If you move him he’ll die for sure!” Neville said warningly. “The faster the allergen spreads through his blood the sooner he’ll succumb toit.”

 

“Besides,” said Harry, frowning down at Lupin’s twitchingform, “if the Ministry gets hold of him Tonks, its over.  He’ll be imprisonedfaster than you can say ‘levitate’!”

 

“Do you think I care about that?” snarled Tonks.

 

“You’ll care if they delay treatment,” Harry pointed out.

 

Tonks glared at him through her streaming eyes.

 

“Don’t either of you listen?” said Neville, raising hisvoice so that it cut through their argument.  “We have to halt the advance ofthe allergen — the silver — right now!”

 

“How?” asked Tonks and Harry together.

 

“There’s only one way,” said Neville desperately, wringinghis hands, “and I don’t know how to do it!”

 

“Do what?” said Tonks in a now shaking voice.

 

“We have to put him in stasis, stop his bodily functions sowe can get him to someone who can help him.”

 

“You mean petrify him?” said Harry with a creepingsense of horror.  He remembered all too clearly his second year when student afterstudent — and Mrs. Norris — had been petrified by Slytherin’s serpent.  “But we. . .er . . .the Basilisk’s gone, Neville.”

 

“We don’t need a Basilisk,” said Tonks briskly.  “Brilliant,Neville!” 

Tonks bent over Lupin’s prone, still trembling form andkissed him gently on the lips before raising her wand and murmuring somethingincoherent.

 

Harry blinked.  Lupin’s body was no longer trembling.  Hewas still; perfectly still.  Even the up and down movement of his chest hadhalted and his skin . . .Harry reached out a finger and touched the back of oneof Lupin’s hands, it was as hard as marble and as cold as ice.  Harry felt ashiver travel the length of his spine as he remembered Hermione lying on hercot in the Hospital wing, her sightless eyes staring uncomprehendingly at theceiling, the telltale scrap of parchment clutched in her lifeless fingers.

 

There was a clatter on the stairs.  Neville and Tonks stood,wands at the ready.  But Harry, who was still kneeling at Lupin’s side merelysaid, “Don’t worry, it’s just Ginny and the others.”

 

Sure enough, a moment later Hermione, Ginny and Luna (whowas being supported by Hermione) appeared in the doorway.  Ron brought up therear.  He was guiding the two bound and gagged figures as they bobbed along in frontof him, their feet dangling several inches above the dusty floor, their eyesrolling wildly from side to side.

 

At the sight of the tableau in the kitchen Hermione groanedand sank to the floor with her head in her hands.  Luna, deprived of Hermione’ssupport, staggered slightly, catching herself against one of the countertops. Neville was there in a heartbeat, his arm around Luna’s weight.

 

“Harry, what happened!” croaked Ron, taking in Lupin’sprone form and Tonks’ tear-streaked face.

 

“Wormtail surprised him,” said Harry gruffly.  “But he’dbeat him, Lupin had beat him, but then his hand, Wormtail’s hand…”  Harrygestured mutely to Wormtail’s prone form where it lay, crumpled in a heap onthe floor in a cooling pool of his own blood.  His hand — the silver hand givento him by Lord Voldemort — had become detached and lay a few feet away fromWormtail’s body.  It had lost none of its silvery sheen and stood out starklyagainst the blood-darkened floor.  Harry stared at it, his scalp and scarprickling unpleasantly. 

 

“Silver?” murmured Luna, her protuberant eyes widening insurprise. 

 

Harry nodded.

 

“Is he…Lupin…is he dead?” said Hermione in a very smallvoice.

 

“No,” said Tonks shortly.  She pointed her wand at Lupin’sprone form, which floated up gently to meet her outstretched hand.  Shemaneuvered him into an upright position, her hand gripping his statue-likearm.  “He’s petrified to keep the silver from intruding any further into hisbloodstream.”  She turned to Harry and added, “I’m taking him back to Hogwarts.” Her eyes lit for a brief moment on the pair of Death Eaters floating next toRon.  “Leave those blighters here,” she said to Ron, a hard glint in her eye. “Harry, let me see your wand.” 

 

Harry handed Tonks his wand.  Transferring her own wand toher left hand (the wand tip still pointed at Lupin’s levitating form) Tonkstook Harry’s wand in her right hand, pointed it at the pair of Death Eaters andmurmured “disaparato!”  A pale golden glow lit the air around the twostruggling men.

 

“There,” she said grimly, handing Harry back his wand andrunning a hand through her brilliant pink hair.  “It’s a disapparition charm. Theywon’t be going anywhere for a while.  It’ll give you lot a chance to get backto the castle before we alert the Ministry that we’ve apprehended a pair ofsuspected Death Eaters.  Don’t stand on ceremony, any of you.  Go directly toMcGonagall. If you work it right no one from the Ministry ever needs to knowthat you were here.  Neville, you all right brining Luna back?” said Tonksbriskly. 

 

Neville nodded and Luna said, “I’ve done side-alongApparition with my cousin, I know what to do.”

 

“All right then, and Ginny, you’ll come with one of theothers?  Don’t want you getting in trouble if someone sees you.”

 

Ginny nodded, still staring at Wormtail’s motionless formas Tonks, looking grim, gave a sharp twist of her body and both she and Lupindisappeared into thin air.

 

“You ready Harry?” asked Ron.  He’d lowered the two DeathEaters to one of the moth-eaten sofas and was standing by the fireplace withHermione.

 

“Er . . .yeah…hang on,”  Without quite stopping to thinkwhy, Harry hurridly tore a segment off his robe and used it to scoop up thesilver hand which he then dropped into the pocket of his robes.

 

“Uh, Harry, did you just put that hand in your pocket?”asked Ron disgustedly.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Do I want to know why?”

 

“Dunno,” said Harry truthfully.  “Maybe if we have it withus — the thing that hurt Lupin — maybe it’ll make it easier for Madam Pomfreyto come up with a cure for him.”

 

“Harry, Lupin’s suffering from silver-poisoning,”said Hermione patiently.  “There is no cure for silver-poisoning.  It spreadsthrough the werewolf’s system systematically shutting down their internalorgans.  That’s why it makes such an effective weapon.”

 

“I know that,” snapped Harry.  “But it’s the right thing todo.”

 

“Taking a traitorous bastard’s hand back to school is theright thing to do?” wondered Ron incredulously.

 

“It’s more than a hand,” said Harry flatly.  He didn’t knowwhy he’d thought to pick it up, but ever since he had he was becoming morecertain by the second of what it was he had in his pocket.  This wasn’t thetime or the place to discuss it however.  They had to leave, now.

 

“Looked like a hand to me,” countered Ron.

 

“Harry’s right,” said Ginny in a low voice.  “There’ssomething about it…” her voice trailed off.  They’d both felt it, he’d felt herattention being drawn back again and again to the hand on the floor, the sameprickling on her scalp as he felt every time he looked at it.

 

Harry stared at her.  Had it been her impression he’d beenpicking up on, or his own?  Did it matter?

 

“Whatever man, we still need to get out of here muypronto,” said Ron making an impatient flapping gesture.  “Just bring the damnedthing then, but let’s get out of here before the place is swarming withAurors.”

 

*     *     *

 

When Professor McGonagall stalked into the hospital wingten minutes later, she found Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny and Tonks allstanding outside of the screens that Madam Pomfrey had effected around Lupin’sbed.

 

Four beds down the ward, Luna lay in a bed of her own. Neville, perched on a chair beside her, was holding her hand as her eyelidsdrooped in response to the Sleeping Draught that Madam Pomfrey had ordered forher on sight.

 

Between Harry and Tonks, with occasional input from Ron andHermione, they gave her as accurate account of the evening as they possiblycould.

 

“So you just left school?” said Professor McGonagall,rounding on Harry, her eyes sparking behind their square-rimmed spectacles, “youjust left without telling anyone?”

 

“Well, I…I didn’t think…”

 

“That much, Mr. Potter, is obvious.”

 

Harry opened his mouth to reply, but the sudden memory ofhis fifth year when he had been determined to go rescue Sirius and Hermione hadtried to talk him out of it, pointing out that he had a complex about savingpeople.  He’d ignored her, and it had cost Sirius his life.  This time she hadfollowed him without question, and now it was Lupin’s life that was on theline.

 

“Damn,” said Harry quietly, dropping onto the end of anempty bed.  He glanced up at McGonagall, only to find her looking at him withraised eyebrows as if expecting an answer to a test question.

 

“I did it again, didn’t I?”

 

“And this time without even the prompting of a vision,”said McGonagall tartly.  “Mr. Potter, may I suggest that in the future you takea member of the Order into your confidence before taking off on anyunauthorized rescue missions?”

 

Unauthorized? Harry starred at her, his insides roiling with a mixtureof guilt and anger.  He’d come back to Hogwarts for one reason and one reasononly — to find the Horcruxes — specifically the one that had been hidden atHogwarts.  This he had done.  The only thing keeping him at Hogwarts now —apart from Ginny, Ron and Hermione — was his commitment to the Defense Againstthe Dark Arts class.  What right did McGonagall have to demand that he consultwith one of the Order before going off on his own?

 

She’s worried Harry.  She sees you as her responsibilitynow that Dumbledore’s gone.

 

I’m not her responsibility Ginny.

 

Of course you’re not, but in her eyes you’re still the babythat was left on the doorstep of Privet Drive.  .

 

Ginny’s voice in his head was soothing, and Harry shot hera grateful glance before taking a deep breath and answering McGonagall in asreasonable a voice as he could

 

“Professor McGonagall, I appreciate your concern, really Ido, and I apologize for dragging the others into this — but when I agreed tostay at Hogwarts, it was under the express condition that I would be allowed tocontinue searching for the Horcruxes.”

 

“But you weren’t after a Horcrux Mr. Potter…” saidMcGonagall at once, but her voice trailed off as Harry removed the wrappedbundle from his pocket and placed it on the bed beside him.

 

“Well, I may not have gone looking for a Horcrux, but aHorcrux is exactly what I found.”  With that, he unwrapped the hand, beingcareful not to touch the object with his bare skin, the burning prickle of hisscar was becoming insistent.

 

McGonagall’s looked from the hand to Harry and back to thehand, her eyes growing wide in disbelief.

 

“That’s the hand You-Know-Who made for that creepy littlePettigrew, isn’t it?” asked Tonks, bending down for a closer look. 

 

“It can’t be a Horcrux,” said McGonagall flatly, stillstaring at the hand glowing luminescently on the white sheets of the hospitalbed.  “You-Know-Who would never have entrusted it to Peter.”

 

“He didn’t entrust it to him,” said Harry, allowinghimself a grim smile.  “He disguised it.  He disguised it as a hand and thenhid it in a place where no one would ever think to look.  The night he cameback Voldemort said that it was the spell he used that allowed him torejuvenate, but I think it was the cauldron.”

 

“The cauldron?” said Tonks, looking up at Harry throughnarrowed eyes.  “You mean the one that Wormtail dropped that baby thing into?”

 

“Yeah,” said Harry.  “That wasn’t your ordinary cauldronTonks.  This thing was huge!”

 

“There’s no size limit on cauldrons, Harry,” said Tonks,her forehead furrowed.  “Just because it was extra big doesn’t mean that it wasanything other than a cauldron.”

 

Think about it!” insisted Harry.  “I mean, allVoldemort said was that it was an ancient piece of magic that had brought himback.  He used his father’s bone, my blood, and Wormtail’s flesh.  Tell meProfessor,” said Harry, addressing McGonagall, “if I were to take blood fleshand bone and put them into a regular cauldron and chant the words he used —would anything happen?”

 

“I — I don’t think so,” said McGonagall slowly.

 

“Exactly!  See?  There is only one object that would havebeen capable of combining those three ingredients and coming up with a wholenew body and then infusing that body with Voldemort’s soul!”

 

“Hufflepuff’s cup…” whispered McGonagall, looking stunned. “Potter, are you telling me that this hand is really — is really Hufflepuff’scup?”

 

“But Harry, you never said anything about the cauldrondisappearing,” said Hermione, looking very serious.

 

“I didn’t see it disappear,” said Harry with a shrug.  “Buta skilled wizard could have transformed it at the same time they conjuredanother that looked just like it, couldn’t they have?”

 

“It’s possible,” said McGonagall thoughtfully.

 

“But it’s not a cup,” said Ron stubbornly.  “It’s a hand.”

 

“It’s a cup,” insisted Harry.

 

“Looks like a hand to me.”

 

“Actually, it only has the shape of a hand,” cameNeville’s voice from just behind Harry’s shoulder.  “But its skin looks likesome sort of molten metal.”

 

“Exactly!”  said Harry enthusiastically.  “It acts andlooks like a regular hand, but its way stronger — I saw him, Wormtail, sliceright through rope with that thing.

 

“Okay,” said Tonks, still frowning at the cup.  “Let’s sayyour right.  Let’s say that it is Hufflepuff’s cup and that’s why he wasable to rejuvenate.  It still doesn’t explain why he left it with Wormtail ofall people!”

 

“Actually, it’s a brilliant idea,” said Hermione quietly. “Peter Pettigrew is hiding from the Ministry who now know he’s alive, thanks toLupin, he’s scared to death of Voldemort, so he wouldn’t dare try anythingagainst him, not when he’s the biggest bully on the block.”

 

“Especially now that Dumbledore’s gone,” added McGonagall,nodding in agreement. 

 

“But how can you tell — if it’s really the cup?” asked Roncuriously.

 

Harry reached out a finger, but was brought up short byGinny, who grabbed his hand, “No Harry, don’t!”

 

Chagrined, Harry pulled his hand back, just as Nevillereached out and picked up the cup in both hands.

 

“Neville!” chorused Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Tonks. But Neville did not answer.  He’d gone rigid; his eyes had rolled up in hishead.  The hand which was clutched in his hands and glowing oddly silver in thedim light of the hospital wing shifted; shimmered and slowly, ever so slowly,began to change.

 

Back to index


Chapter 27: To Your Health

Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today@font-face { font-family: Verdana;}@font-face { font-family: Comic Sans MS;}@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin: .5in; mso-footer-margin: .5in; mso-paper-source: 0; }P.MsoNormal { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Comic Sans MS"; mso-bidi-font-weight: normal; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"}LI.MsoNormal { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Comic Sans MS"; mso-bidi-font-weight: normal; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"}DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Comic Sans MS"; mso-bidi-font-weight: normal; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"}SPAN.bodybold1 { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-style-name: bodybold1; mso-ansi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Verdana; mso-hansi-font-family: Verdana}SPAN.body1 { FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-style-name: body1; mso-ansi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Verdana; mso-hansi-font-family: Verdana}SPAN.SpellE { mso-style-name: ""; mso-spl-e: yes}SPAN.GramE { mso-style-name: ""; mso-gram-e: yes}DIV.Section1 { page: Section1}

Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.
~
Mark Twain

 

 

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:  To Your Health

 

 

“What’s wrong with him!” shrieked Hermione as Neville collapsed to the floor in a silently twitching heap.

 

An instant later Professor McGonagall was on her knees beside Neville, his head cradled on her lap as his body spasmed wildly.  She tried to prise his hands away from the cup clasped tightly in his hands, to no avail, he had the cup in a death grip.

 

Cup? Thought Harry turning his attention from the flailing figure between the hospital beds to the metallic object clutched in his hands.  It had been a silvery hand, or at least a silvery hand-shaped object.  After Neville had picked it up it had changed.  Now it was a delicate golden cup with silver etchings.

 

He blinked at the object now clutched in Neville’s hand.  “Hufflepuff’s cup!” he whispered.

 

Neville writhed on the floor in obvious agony, his mouth open in a silent scream.  Harry was forcibly reminded of his fourth year Defense Against the Dark Arts class when Moody had demonstrated the Cruciatus Curse on the silent spider.

 

“It’s the Cruciatus Curse,” murmured Harry, unable now to keep his eyes off of Neville’s agonized face.

 

“Don’t be ridiculous Potter,” snapped Professor McGonagall.  “The Cruciatus Curse requires a witch or wizard to perform it, you can’t store it in an object.”

 

“This isn’t just any old object professor,” Harry retorted.  “First off, the Cup is a powerful object in its own right — you know this as well as I do.”  Harry watched as Professor McGonagall glanced at the cup, then did a double take as the change it had undergone registered.  It would have been humorous if Neville hadn’t been thrashing about in obvious agony.

 

“Secondly,” continued Harry, “if it really is the fifth Horcrux — which I’d be willing to bet on heavily at this point — it contains a piece of Voldemort’s soul; surely that would be enough to perform a Cruciatus Curse.”

 

“I…” Professor McGonagall stopped dead, looked from the cup to Neville, then back to Harry, swallowed, then nodded.  “So, the only way to get it to stop…” Professor McGonagall’s voice trailed off, her eyes fixed now on Neville’s thrashing form.

 

“Is to destroy it, yes,” said Harry heavily, and raised his wand.

 

“No, Harry don’t!” cried Hermione, grabbing Harry’s wrist.  “You could hurt him!”

 

“What do you think the curse is doing to him?” said Harry shaking off Hermione’s grip.  “You really want to see him end up like his parents?”  Hermione drew back her hand, looking shocked.

 

“Finite!” bellowed Harry as he pointed his wand at Neville’s writhing form.

 

Nothing happened.

 

Harry knew what he had to do.  He’d known it since the moment he’d laid the gleaming hand on the bedclothes.  He also knew that if he said anything Ron and Hermione would protest and Professor McGonagall would probably try to stop him.  Before he could think too hard about it, Harry reached out and wrenched the cup out of Neville’s hand.  The last thing he saw was Ginny staring at him with that hard blazing look in her eye that he’d come to know so well.

 

Their eyes met and an understanding passed between them.  She knew what he had to do.

 

I’ll be waiting.  Her voice in his head, as always, was soothing to his frayed nerves.  Harry managed somehow to give her a small smile before everything went black and the world turned inside out.

 

 

*     *     *

 

 

He was falling; falling through darkness and the darkness had weight; a weight that pressed against his eyeballs in an attempt to drive them back into his head; a weight that wrapped itself sinuously around his chest like Devil’s Snare, constricting his breathing until he wasn’t entirely certain that he was breathing at all.  It was a  darkness so silent that his ears rang with the sheer horror of it.

 

And then it was gone and Harry was left lying on a hard, unforgiving surface, gasping for breath like a fish out of water.  He opened one eye, not entirely certain that he wanted to see where he was, only to find himself staring at what at first seemed to be nothing. 

 

He opened his other eye and blinked.  It was nothing.  Mind you, it was a very blandly neutral shade of nothing — sort of a hazy shade of beige and not the darkness one would expect from a true absence of anything in particular.

 

In an attempt to gain some perspective Harry glanced down at his own body, but it didn’t help.  His body was simply a hazy body shape that seemed to blend in perfectly with the general haziness around it.  It felt real enough though.  He held a hand up in front of his face and wiggled his fingers.  The hazy hand shape in front of him seemed to shimmer a bit, but he couldn’t see anything that looked remotely like fingers. He could feel the fingers though, he could even feel the calluses on his index finger from his continual note taking and the paper cut on his left pinkie finger.  Obviously he still had a body — he just couldn’t see it. 

 

Temporarily satisfied with the assessment, Harry levered himself into a sitting position — or what his brain told him was a sitting position since gravity didn’t seem to be arguing too strenuously with him at the moment.  It was time to take stock of the situation.  Harry stood carefully, planting his feet wide to keep his balance.  Once he was certain he wasn’t going to fall over Harry rotated slowly on the spot…nothing, just the same universally bland beige.

 

“Nice entrance.”  Two words; two words dripping with sarcasm were all it took to send Harry reeling across the vacantly beige space like a drunken sailor.  He stumbled over something he couldn’t see and found himself sprawled once more on the hard, unforgiving surface he had been laying on before.

 

“Tell me, Mr. Potter, do you always conduct your entrances with such…grace?”

 

Harry blinked as a pair of bare feet materialized in front of his nose; if the hot pink polish on the toenails were any clue, he’d have to guess that they belonged to a woman.  The feet were, sensibly enough, attached to a pair of legs that disappeared around mid-calf beneath a voluminous robe of some hideously flowered material. 

 

The flowered robes gave Harry a nasty twinge, and for a moment he didn’t dare lift his eyes any further for fear of finding that he had somehow been imprisoned in this monotonous beigness with one of his least favorite people in the world; Professor Umbridge.

 

“I know, they are hideous, aren’t they?” said the voice, at once waylaying Harry’s fears.  The voice had none of Umbridge’s girlish breathiness.  It was actually rather low pitched, for a woman and now, without its sarcasm, seemed to carry a rather wistful note.  “Can’t help what they buried me in now, can I? — bloody stupid get up if you ask me.”

 

Harry looked up finally, to find himself face to face — or rather face to knee — with a rather short, dumpy looking woman who reminded Harry forcibly of Professor Sprout, even down to her frizzy, fly-away hair.  The eyes though, unlike Sprout’s cornflower blue ones, were an intriguing olive green and the hair, frizzy as it was, was ginger, and not gray.

 

“Couldn’t do a thing with my hair though,” she said, grinning and extending a hand to Harry to help him up. 

 

Harry accepted the proffered Hand and dusted himself off, realizing with a start that he could now see his fingers, his body, even the dust being brushed from his clothes with unusual clarity.

 

“Not that they didn’t try,” she reached into the bodice of her dress and produced a wide pink satin bow.  “I still think that my Pamela did it to get even with me for all the times I made her wash behind her ears.”  She stuffed the hideous bow back into her dress with a grimace.  “I tried throwing it away, but every time I do it ends up right back on my head.”

 

 “Who’s Pamela?” asked Harry, finally finding his voice.

 

“My daughter,” said the witch with a sigh.  “Pamela Hufflepuff.  Isn’t that a beautiful name?”

 

“Er…”  Harry blinked.  Pamela Hufflepuff?  That would mean that this dumpy little witch in front of him was…”you’re Helga Hufflepuff?” blurted Harry, unable to help himself.

 

“In a manner of speaking, yes,” said the witch with a lopsided grin that reminded Harry strongly of Neville.  “What’s left of me, anyway.”

 

“The I must be…” he looked around him.  “Am I dead?  I mean, it still feels like I have a body and all, but that doesn’t mean-”

 

“By all rights you should be,” said the witch with a nod.  “And if you’re not-”

 

“I’m not?” repeated Harry, frowning slightly.

 

“Of course not.  You’re not really here you know, not really.”

 

“So this is a dream then?”

 

“Well, not a dream actually.”

 

“But you said that I’m not really here,” insisted Harry, looking around himself more interestedly now, trying to determine where ‘here’ actually was.

 

“I guess you could call it a dream then, if it makes you feel better,” said the witch who called herself Helga Hufflepuff.  “But in truth, it is more like your spirit is here, with me.  Your body is still wherever it was when you activated the cup.”

 

“The hospital wing,” said Harry slowly.  “But it wasn’t me who activated it — It was Neville, he grabbed it and it turned from that silver hand back into a cup, but then he started convulsing…”

 

“The Cruciatus curse,” said Helga, nodding.  “He had it tied to the activation of the cup.  But you say it changed when he touched it?”

 

Harry nodded.

 

“Then there is only one answer, he must be a direct descendent of mine, for the cup will only activate for the one who is destined to heal our land, or for someone who is of my bloodline.”

 

“It was hurting him!” said Harry accusingly.

 

“That wasn’t me, that was the part of him that that is enmeshed here,” said Helga with a frown that looked distinctly out of place on her plump, round face.

 

“Here?” said Harry, looking around again.  “Then…we must be inside the cup!”

 

“Oh, very good!” cried the witch clapping her hands and giving a small skip. 

 

“So you haunt your own cup?” wondered Harry, taking another look around at the non-descript nothingness around them. 

 

“Oh I’m not a ghost,” said the short witch, shaking her head emphatically.  “I am the part of me that was tied to this particular object of power and now, well” she shrugged and gestured around her.  “I used to be able to get out — see a bit of the world, but ever since he discovered me…” she sighed deeply.  “It does get a bit irksome, being locked up in here.”

 

“So you’re a prisoner -like Rowena,” murmured Harry.

 

“Oh!  You’ve met Rowena then?” said Helga, her face lighting up with delight.  “What did you think of her?”

 

“Well, she seemed nice,” said Harry, uncertain how to explain that the circumstances of finding the harp had left him very little in the way of time to assess Rowena Ravenclaw’s personality.

 

“Nice?” echoed Helga, her wispy red eyebrows threatening to leap off of her face altogether.  “She is the smartest witch I have ever had the pleasure of meeting — my best friend in the world.  He was looking for her you know, I would have bet everything I owned that she’d find a way to outsmart him, but you said she’s a prisoner like me?”

 

“Yes,” said Harry carefully.  “She is bound to her harp in the same way that you seem bound to this cup.”

 

“You freed her though,” said Helga matter of factly.  “When you found her bound up by that vile self-declared Dark Lord, yes?”

 

“Well, I would have,” said Harry defensively, “but I didn’t know how.”

 

“You’ve got to use it silly,” said Helga Hufflepuff with a little laugh.  “I would have thought that to you at least, that much would be obvious — oh don’t look at me like that!” she said as she saw the look on Harry’s face.  “We all make assumptions, now, don’t we?  I knew that the one destined to unite the four objects of power would show up eventually — prophecies are never wrong after all — I just thought that he’d be, well…” she gestured at Harry and gave a small shrug.

 

“You thought what,” said Harry tartly, “that I’d be handsomer?  Or more experienced maybe?”

 

“Older,” said Helga with the smallest of smiles.  “You can’t be more than seventeen, eighteen at the most.”

 

“I’ll be eighteen in July.”

 

“Exactly.”

 

“Er…” began Harry tentatively.  “What do you mean exactly by using it?”

 

“Dear me, what are they teaching you young people today?  Use it my dear boy; play the harp, look in the mirror, drink from the cup.”

 

“What about the locket?”

 

“Not the locket,” said Helga, looking grim.  “There is no way to use it — at least none that we’ve discovered.  And, to be perfectly honest, it is designed in such a way that only a Slytherin descendent — or an extremely powerful witch or wizard can handle the power that it generates.  Even Godric himself couldn’t channel the power that the locket holds.”

 

Harry allowed himself a small smile at the realization that Ginny had been able to accomplish something that even Godric Gryffindor himself had not been able to do.

 

“So I use these other three objects, is that what you’re saying?  I use them and they will, what, deactivate the Horcruxes they’ve been made into?” Harry wondered aloud.

 

“Good heavens, no!  Of course not!  All using the object does is activate the power of the object.  They are all really old you know.  They’ve been in our respective families for generations.  No one knows where they came from originally, but they have their own powers, ancient powers inherent to each object.”

 

“So I keep hearing,” muttered Harry.

 

“So, it is the power of the object — channeled in the way in which it was designed to be used — that will enable you to overcome the power of that soul splitting devil.”

 

“All right then,” said Harry, thinking hard.  “But what about when all four objects come together, what happens then?”

 

“You’re asking me?” said Helga, looking genuinely surprised.  “It hasn’t been done in, well, I’ve never heard of it being done.”

 

“But you said that it was prophesied.”

 

“And so it was, but that doesn’t automatically mean that I would know how they are to be used.  That is your job my boy.”

 

“Great.”

 

“Oh don’t fret, I’m sure that when the time comes you will know what needs to be done,” said Helga, placing one plump hand on Harry’s shoulder.   “If I am not mistaken, you have had moments like that already, what?”

 

“Look,” said Harry, who was not at the moment ready to consider what she had just said.  “If this isn’t actually real — I mean, if my body isn’t actually here, there must be a way for me to get out — to get back.”

 

“Of course there is,” said the witch with an amused expression.

 

“Well, can you tell me?”

 

“No,” she said flatly, then, her eyes twinkling added, “but I can show you.”  With that she reached out and covered his eyes with her hand.

 

Harry blinked — to find himself standing by Remus Lupin’s bedside and it appeared that he was pouring water from the cup into his old Defense teacher’s rigidly set mouth from the gold and silver cup — Hufflepuff’s cup — that he held clutched tightly in his hands.

 

Startled, Harry looked up to find the faces of Professor McGonagall, Madam Pomfrey, Tonks, Ron, Hermione and Ginny all looking back at him from the other side of Lupin’s bed.

 

“I…er…” began Harry, but was interrupted by Hermione’s squeal of surprise.

 

“Harry, look!”

 

Harry looked down and nearly dropped the cup in astonishment.  Lupin’s lips were no longer hard and marble white, but normal looking; the flesh tones and ruddy pinkness of heathy skin was spreading from his lips, across his cheeks and down his neck, but it didn’t end there.  The deep ragged scars where Peter had mauled him were disappearing, smoothing out until not a trace of them remained.

 

For a moment Remus Lupin lay on the hospital bed glowingly pink, but still as motionless as a statue, but then his eyelids fluttered open and, with a gasp, he sat bold upright, his hand plunging into his robes, his eyes darting wildly around the room.

 

“Go to stop…Harry?” he paused as his gaze fell on Harry, who was still bending over him.  Lupin gave another quick glance around him, then looked back at Harry.  “Where — where’s Peter?” he rasped.

 

“He’s dead Remus,” said Harry gently.

 

“You — you killed him then?”

 

“Harry didn’t kill Peter, Remus,” interjected Tonks unexpectedly.  “I did.”

 

A heartbeat later she was at Lupin’s side, her arms wrapped tightly around him, her head buried in his shoulder.  “We thought he’d killed you,” she said, her voice muffled.  “His hand…the silver…I thought I was going to lose you.”

 

Lupin raised a shaking hand to his face, then lowered it with a look of wonderment when it encountered nothing but smooth skin.

 

“How — how did you stop the silver poisoning?”

 

“Tonks petrified you,” said Hermione quietly.

 

“It was Neville’s idea,” said Tonks, raising her head and looking into Lupin’s face.  “And then Harry, well Harry brought you back by having you drink from that cup.”

 

“The cup?” said Lupin, sitting up straighter and turning to look at Harry.

 

“Yeah, Hufflepuff’s cup.  Turns out we were right Remus,” said Harry, grinning now.  “Wormtail had it all along, though if Neville hadn’t…” he paused, searching the faces around Lupin’s bed.  “Where is Neville?”

 

“Still unconscious,” said Ron, jerking a thumb over his shoulder to where Neville lay prone on a hospital bed a little ways down the ward.

 

“He may,” Professor McGonagall cleared her throat, then tried again.  “He may have done permanent damage,” she managed, speaking for the first time since Lupin had woken up.

 

“He was subjected to the imperious curse for far too long,” murmured Madam Pomfrey apologetically, but Harry didn’t hear her, he was already on the move, walking directly to Neville’s bedside where he tipped the remainder of the liquid into Neville’s slack mouth.

 

For a moment, nothing happened, then Neville’s eyes popped open and he levered himself shakily into a sitting position, a wary expression on his face, as if he expected the pain to return at any second.

 

“It’s all right Neville,” said Ginny quietly.  “It’s over.”

 

“Over?” said Neville in a trembling voice as he eyed the cup in Harry’s hand with trepidation.  “How come its not got you in a twitching heap then?” he asked bluntly.

 

“No idea,” lied Harry with a shrug.

 

“He took it away from you mate,” said Ron, “and then he sort of, I don’t know, went into a sort of trance.”

 

“Yeah, he was chanting,” said Tonks, smiling now.  “Play the hark, look in the mirror, drink from the cup.”  She ran her fingers through her hair so that it stood up on end.  “Then he just snapped out of it, walked over to Remus’s bed and started pouring water from the cup into his mouth.”

 

“But where did the water come from?” asked Hermione in a small voice.

 

“What I want to know is if its still a Horcurx,” said McGonagall, eyeing the cup warily.

 

Harry grasped the cup tighter, feeling the tingling in his fingers.

 

“Yep,” he said with an apologetic grin for McGonagall.  “Still active — but not for long.”  He closed his eyes, concentrating on the cup, on the power embedded in its deepest structure.

 

“Then how…” began Professor McGonagall, but she didn’t finish, for the cup in Harry’s hands had begun to bubble and froth like a cauldron out of contro.  A vile green liquid was seething over the rim of the cup, eating its way like acid into the delicate etchings on the cup’s surface.  But then, as if in answer to the acidic bubbling, another substance, this one a vivid, electric blue, had overtaken it and was absorbing it, was retreating back into the cup, leaving it scarred and pitted, bu completely empty.

 

“Wicked!” breathed Ron as Harry opened his eyes and carefully put the disfigured cup on Neville’s bedside table.

 

“What just-” began Tonks just as McGonagall said “was that what I think it was?”

 

Harry shrugged and sank onto the edge of Neville’s bed, suddenly feeling utterly exhausted, his legs shaking as if he’d just run a marathon.

 

“You — you neutralized it!” said Hermione quietly, her eyes wide.  “Harry, how-”

 

“Let him be,” said Neville unexpectedly.  “Explanations can wait.  Can’t you see he’s about to pass out?”

 

“You need rest, Potter,” said Professor McGonagall curtly.  “Mr. Weasley, would you see to it that Mr. Potter gets up to the dormitories…” but Harry didn’t hear the rest.  He felt himself inking…sinking into a blissful darkness that came bubbling up to meet him like an elixir from a cup…

 

 

Back to index


Chapter 28: Thinking It Through

Author's Notes: I apologize for the lapse in my updating this story. I have not given up on it. Between my new job, finishing my Master's Degree and getting my newest book off the ground I haven't had time to breath, let alone write. Once again I apologize and thank you all for your patience and support! SSHenry


Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking whatnobody has thought

Discoveryconsists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody hasthought.

~Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

 

CHAPTERTWENTY-EIGHT:  Thinking it Through

 

 

“Feelingbetter, Harry?” chirped Hermione as Harry slipped onto the bench beside Ginnyand began at once to help himself to kippers and eggs.

 

“Ofcourse he’s feeling better,” said Ron around a mouthful of toast andmarmalade.  “He slept for nearly a wholeday, didn’t he?”

 

I wastrue actually, and the knowledge that he had slept for twenty-four straighthours made Harry feel rather ridiculous. After all, it wasn’t as if he had been kidnapped and mistreated, likeLuna, or put under the Cruciatus Curse, like Neville.  No, all he had done was talk to that wispy littlewitch and then use what she had said to deactivate the Horcrux.

 

It hadbeen dark in the hospital wing when he had woken up.  The luminescent dial of his wristwatch —which he had found beside his glasses and wand on the bedside table — had read11:00 p.m.  Which,oddly enough, had been nearly the exact time that all everything had come to ahead in the hospital wing the night before, though the events themselves had,upon awaking, seemed rather hazy and hard to remember. It had been thesight of the softly gleaming cup sitting beside his glasses, watch and wandthat had brought him back to reality with a nasty lurch.

 

He’dwanted to get up right then-get up and go see the others-but Madam Pomfrey hadinsisted that he stay until breakfast. Even then she had been rather reluctant to let him go.

 

“Ohplease, Ron, don’t begrudge him his beauty sleep,” said Ginny, grinningwickedly over the rim of her goblet.

 

“Nowwait just a minute…!” began Harry, but a voice from behind him interrupted.

 

“Goodthen Potter, glad you’re back with us.” Professor McGonagall had swept up behind them and, before Harry knewwhat was happening, had deposited a sheaf of parchment into his hand.  “Hope you’re ready for this afternoon’sDefense classes.”

 

“Welcomeback Harry,” said Hermione, grinning broadly at him from across the table.

 

*     *     *

 

 

Itwasn’t until late Saturday afternoon that Harry was finally able to catch hisbreath and actually give some thought to what had actually happened.  Things had come flying at him since he’d comeback downstairs to breakfast on Friday morning; flying at him so thick and fasthe hadn’t been able to give more than a fleeting thought to the events of thelast couple of days.

He’dbeen behind in all of his classes of course. Excused by the Headmistress, however, did not keep him from having tocatch up on his homework, and it seemed that every one of their teachers hadtaken advantage of Harry’s being absent to assign heaps of homework, all ofwhich were due on Monday, and a pop quiz in potions had left him reeling andHermione beaming in pride at finally having beat Harry in a class that, by allrights, she should have been getting the credit for top marks.

 

How hegot through the Defense classes that afternoon, Harry was never quitesure.  He’d had nothing prepared, and hadended up reviewing each class on everything they had learned to date.  No one but the assistant’s seemed to noticeanything amiss, and none of them were about to bring it up, although Luna hadshot him an odd look when he’d refrained from attempting to demonstrate ashielding charm.

 

Harryhad been glad to see Luna show up in class, it was the first time he’d seen hersince he’d left the hospital wing.  Shelooked as batty as ever in what appeared to be a vibrant, Christmas-red silkpajama set and a pair of earrings that looked for all theworld as if they had been made out of peppermint sticks.  She was much quieter than usual though, andmerely smiled when Harry had said he was glad that she was feeling better.

 

Harrybarely touched his supper that evening but, feeling rather panicky at the pileof homework he was accumulating, had gone directly to the library afterpretending to eat and had stayed until Madam Pince had thrown him out ateleven, when he had retreated to the Gryffindor common room, finally fallingasleep over his Transfiguration essay around three in the morning.  It had been Ginny who’d woken him up fourhours later with a steaming cup of coffee and a pile of toast and by lunchtimehe actually felt that he had enough of his homework under control…enough tojoin the rest of them in the Great Hall for lunch, anyway.

 

And nowhere he was, six hours later, staring out one of his dormitory windows andwondering why — if everything was truly under control again why he felt — why everything felt - so disjointed andunreal. 

 

“It’slike a dream,” murmured Harry, gazing entranced at the dancing patterns ofsnowflakes just on the other side of the glass, or a story maybe.  Yes, that was it.  It was almost like reading a book, a wellwritten one where the author had you wrapped up in the storyline so that youdidn’t really want to put the book down, you wanted to see how it ended andyet, you knew at the same time that you were really safe in bed or ensconced inan armchair somewhere with a steaming cup of hot chocolate on the table besideyou and that anytime you chose you could just wake up and get on with living.

 

God,what he wouldn’t give right now, to be able to wake up, to be able to put downthe book — that book that he’d inadvertently picked up when he was only elevenyears old — the book that had changed his life as thoroughly and completely asTom Riddle’s diary had changed Ginny’s life all those years ago- the book thathe still seemed to be reading, however unwillingly.

 

“You allright, Harry?”

 

“Hey,Neville,” said Harry without turning around but allowed himself a small smile.  He had been gladder than he had admitted tolearn that Neville had recovered completely from his brush with the Cruciatuscurse.  “Why aren’t you at supper,Neville?”

 

“Nothungry,” said Neville, coming to stand next to Harry at the window.  “Besides, I wanted to make sure you wereokay.”

 

“I’mfine Neville, really.”

 

“Well,it’s just that Luna said you seemed a bit distracted this afternoon in class.”

 

“Morelike I was unprepared is all,” said Harry heavily.  “I didn’t have time to get anything ready…notwith everything that happened and all.”

 

“Aboutthat,” said Neville after a slight pause. “I — I just wanted to thank you Harry, for everything.”

 

“Hell,Neville, you were there too!” said Harry without thinking.  “And it was the Aurors who saved her, notme.”  And on the heels of his words camethe unbidden realization that perhaps this was what bothered him most ofall.  He hadn’t been in time to saveLuna.  He’d been given the credit anywayof course, and somehow that just made it worse. 

 

“Well,they wouldn’t have known where to go if you hadn’t led them to the Riddlehouse,” said Neville with a shrug.  “ButI wasn’t talking about just that Harry; I was talking about after, when Ipassed out.”

 

Harrydidn’t say anything, but kept his gaze on the grounds.  What was there to say after all?  It hadn’t been him, it had been the cup.  When he’d taken the cup in his hands it wasas if it had told him exactly what it was he needed to do next.

 

“How didyou know what to do with it?  The cup Imean?” Neville wondered idly. 

 

For amoment Harry couldn’t do anything but stare. Neville’s question was so close to what he’d been thinking that he mightas well have been reading his mind.  “Shetold me,” said Harry finally.  And it wasclose enough to the truth.  All she’dsaid, actually, was that in order to activate the cup, it had to be used…drunkfrom.

 

“She?”

 

“HelgaHufflepuff,” said Harry with a small smile. “When I took the cup away from you, after it had transformed fromWormtail’s hand back into its goblet form I, well, I guess you could say that Imet her.”

 

“You metHelga Hufflepuff?” said Neville, his eyes huge. “You mean, like her ghost?

 

“Sortof,” said Harry, sighing heavily.  “But not a ghost really. It was the part of her that was inside of the cup — tied to the cup ifyou will.”

 

Nevillegave a soft “wow” of appreciation before sinking into silence, a comfortable,contemplative silence that neither of them seemed willing to break.

 

“Say,Neville,” said Harry, abruptly breaking the quiet.  “Why Luna, anyway?”

 

“Why’dthey take her you mean?” replied Neville with a small, tight smile.  “I know, it does seem rather incongruous,doesn’t it.”

 

Harryblinked, having to remind himself what the word incongruous meant beforeanswering, “Yeah, it does seem a bit strange.”

 

“It’sher Dad,” said Neville with a shrug. “The death eaters wanted him to stop printing those articles of his, theones that criticize the Ministry.”

 

“Hold ona minute,” said Harry, twisting around so he could see Neville’s face.  The Death Eaters want Luna’s dad to stop criticizing the Ministry?  Aren’t they the ones the Ministry has beenfighting all this time?  I’d think thatdissension would be just what they would want.”

 

“Not ifLuna’s father is telling the truth,” said Neville, shaking his head.  “He’s pointing out what the Ministry is doingwrong, suggesting ways they could do things better.  In short, Luna’s dad is enlightening thepublic to just how corrupt the Ministry has become.”

 

“SoLuna’s dad thinks that the Ministry is in Voldemort’s back pocket does he?”said Harry, frowning. 

 

“Not allof them of course,” said Neville with a shrug. “Or there wouldn’t be any war at all, would there?  You-know-who would have just taken over,wouldn’t he have?”

 

“But whygo to all the trouble of abducting Luna right out of the Hogwarts grounds?”said Harry slowly.  “I mean, security hasbeen extra tight ever since…ever since…” the scars on his back gave asympathetic twinge and Harry found himself swallowing hard, trying not toremember the way the flaps of skin had dangled down his back, or the smell ofthe beast’s breath in his face.

 

“Harry?  Mate? You okay?”  Neville’s voicesounded as if it were being piped through a very long tunnel.  Harry could feel Neville’s hands on hisshoulders, steering him to a chair, pushing him down into it.

 

“Harry?”

 

“What?  Oh, yeah, I’m…I’m okay Neville, really.”

 

“Right,”said Neville sharply, keeping a hand on Harry’s shoulder to hold him inplace.  “You’re trying too hardHarry.  You’re trying to do too much toosoon.  You very nearly died Harry, and that was barely a monthago.  Then going after Luna, using thecup, teaching Defense; you can’t keep going like this mate, you’ll snap.”

 

“I’m ashealthy as I ever was, Neville.”

 

“You’rebody, healed, sure, but what about your mind?”

 

“Mymind?” said Harry stupidly.

 

“That’sa lot to take in all at once,” said Neville stubbornly.  “You need time to process everything, sort itout, but things…things keep…”  Neville’svoice died off as he gestured helplessly out the window.

 

“Things keephappening,” Harry finished heavily. And for whatever reason, he, Harry, alwaysseemed to be in the thick of things. As thick as the dust that had been on theground in the Riddle House…surely someone who didn’t want to be seen would havetaken precautions.  The footprints thathad led into the secret passageway had been almost pristine in their perfection,almost as if…

 

“Theywere planted,” said Harry flatly, looking up at Neville with dawningcomprehension which Neville just failed to return.  Instead he gave Harry a look ofbewilderment.  “The footprints Neville!  The ones we followed into the secretpassageway!  Someone wanted us to go that way!”

 

“Youmean that whoever took Luna wanted us to findher?”

 

“No,they wanted us out of the way.”

 

Nevillecontinued to stare at Harry, his forehead scrunched up in puzzlement.  “But Harry, how could they possibly know thatwe would figure our where she was — that youwould figure out where she was?”

 

“This isVoldemort we’re dealing with,” said Harry, scowling as he rubbed unconsciouslyat the scar on his forehead.  “He knowsthat…”  Harry paused and swallowed,hard.  The memory of what Hermione hadsaid to him at the end of their fifth year, just before he’d dashed off to‘save’ his godfather.   “He knows that Ihave a thing about saving people.”

 

“I thinkthe term you’re looking for is Hero Complex,” said Neville with a lopsidedgrin.

 

“Yeah,well, whatever.  He knew that I’d come…”

 

“So heplanted the footprints in the dust to lead you into a secret passageway thatwould lead you to a dead end?” wondered Neville skeptically.

 

Harryscowled at reflection in the window.  Putthat way it didn’t sound right at all; not at all like Voldemort’s usualstyle. 

 

“But ifnot Voldemort, who then?” murmured Harry.

 

“Itwould have to have been someone who knew what was happening but didn’t want youin the thick of things; someone who knows that you’d go after Luna as soon asyou figured out what had happened to her but didn’t want you getting hurt.”

 

Harryfelt his stomach give a lurch as he realized that there was only one person whofit the description; one person who was not only one of the Dark Lord’s mosttrusted advisors and yet had also gone out of his way on more than one occasionto save Harry’s life.

 

Snape.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to index


Chapter 29: Turning the Tables

>“There are nights whenthe wolves are silent and only the moon howls.”

~ George Carlin.

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: Turning the Tables

“Per cambiare rapidamente!” Harry shook his head. He’d had to have Hermione repeat the phrase McGonagall had chosen as her password to him six times before he had gotten it right. It wasn’t even Latin, but Italian. WhyItalian? An odd choice in Harry’s opinion, but not one he was willing to argue with.

The gargoyle leapt aside and Harry stepped onto the eternally spiraling staircase. The note from the Headmistress had arrived only moments after Harry had arrived at the breakfast table.

Mr. Potter,

If you would be so kind as to join me in my officeimmediately it would be appreciated. The password has been temporarily changedto “Per cambiare rapidamente.”

M. McGonagall

“Who’s it from?” Ron had asked thickly, his mouth stuffed with sausage.

“McGonagall,” Harry had answered shortly. “She wants to see me.”

“When?” Hermione had asked, ignoring Ron’s protests as she’d speared a sausage from his plate.

“Right now. She doesn’t say why.”

“Blimey Harry, you in trouble already?” Seamus had called from down the table.

But it had been Hermione’s voice that had haunted him all the way to the Headmistress’s office. “Harry, you don’t think that it has anything to do with Lupin…?”

Harry had felt his stomach give a nasty lurch and had left the table so fast that he hadn’t even bothered to leave a message for Ginny,not that it mattered, he reminded himself as he waited for McGonagall to answer his knock. Ginny knew where he was. Could it be Lupin? He had seemed better after drinking from the Goblet, as had Neville, but Neville wasn’t a werewolf. What if Lupin had experienced some sort of reaction because of his werewolf blood?

The door to the headmistress’s office swung open of its ownaccord and Harry walked in, narrowing his eyes against the bright morning light that was streaming through several windows on the east side of the tower. Professor McGonagall was sitting behind the large, ornately carved desk. The sun glinted off her square-rimmed spectacles and picked out the silver threads in her tightly bound black hair.

“No change then, Professor?” asked Harry, nodding to the still-slumbering portrait of Albus Dumbledore that hung on the wall behind the Headmistresses’ desk.

“No Mr. Potter, I’m afraid not.”

“Change?” came a heavily accented voice from one of the two deep armchairs drawn up before the crackling fire. “Of what change are youspeaking?” it demanded.

Short, balding, with dark hair slicked back from his faceand plastered to his head with something that made Snape’s greasiest hair daylook clean by comparison and wearing robes that gave the impression of being just a tad bit tight across the chest; the person to whom the voice belonged emerged from the depths of the armchair and advanced on Harry with anaggressiveness that made Harry take an involuntary step backwards.

“Relax Marco, he speaks of Albus’s portrait,” came a voice from the second armchair, this one Harry was able to identify even before the lion-like mane of hair and rough-hewn features confirmed his suspicion.

Rufus Scrimgeour looked tired; drained; as if the last yearand a half as Minister of Magic had been some sort of Dark spell that sapped the one under it of all their vital energy.

“An interesting phenomenon in and of itself,” continuedScrimgeour with a small smile and a nod at Dumbledore’s sleeping portrait. “But not what we’re here for of course. Hello Harry.”

Harry nodded in acknowledgement, not bothering to reply. Rufus Scrimgeour knew what Harry thought of him.

“Mr. Potter, may I introduce Dr. Marco Gregorio?” Scrimgeour motioned to the dark-haired, aggressive little man who extended a rather pasty-white hand. Harry gave it a tentative shake. The hand had all the vitality of a dead fish.

“Dr. Gregorio is the head physician of the trauma ward at St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries,” said ProfessorMcGonagall coolly.

Nonplussed, Harry simply stood and waited.

“You must know why we are here,” snapped Dr. Gregorio, his lips curled back in a derisive sneer. “Come now professor,” said Dr. Gregorio,turning to Professor McGonagall and sharply rapping the end of his wand on herdesk. “We know that there was a disturbance here the other day.”

“I have already made the report to Scimgeour’s office,”said Professor McGonagall coolly. “I don’t know what else you expect Dr.Gregorio. This is a school for Magic, not macramé. The advanced studentsroutinely practice complex and often hazardous spells. We take every precaution to avoid accidents of course but…” McGonagall gave a small shrug.

“We could not identify the source of the spell,” said Dr.Gregorio with a fierce scowl. “Given recent events, Headmistress, it would bein everyone’s best interest for you to release the names of the students involved.”

“Hogwarts teachers value the privacy of their students, which is precisely why the Temporal Secrecy Shield was erected at this school’s inception,” said Professor McGonagall through thin lips.

“Come now professor,” said Scrimgeour with a briskness Harry found disturbing. “We all know why the Temporal Secrecy Shield was erected. It is all very good for everyday charms and enchantments, curses even; saves us at the Ministry from having to do a lot of explaining to our various departments about why some twelve-year old used a bat bogey hex on theboy at the next desk. But I told you, Minerva, the records indicate extreme fluctuations in Secrecy shields since the beginning of the school year. Each fluctuation is stronger than the previous one. But this last fluctuation . ..” he made an open gesture with his hand. “Off the charts Minerva, and a definite Unforgiveable signature; an Unforgiveable signature so strong that even the shield could not cover it. The Cruciatus curse Minerva! This we can not ignore.”

“And I’ve told you, Minister, I can not divulge the details of the incident or give you the names of the students involved.”

“So you said,” Scrimgeour replied shortly. “That is why we took the liberty of requisitioning the records of your hospital wing.”

“Which is why you’re here, Harry,” said ProfessorMcGonagall turning to Harry with a tight smile. “Your name is on MadamePomfrey’s list as having been the last person to be treated in our facility.”

“Can they do that?” Harry wondered out loud to McGonagall. “Just take the records like that?”

“The Hospital wing of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft andWizardry was a gift from St. Mungo’s centuries ago,” said Dr. Gregorio with asniff.

“Which in and of itself, of course, does not mean that St.Mungo’s has the right to requisition records,” said Scrimgeour bluntly, “but the amendment to the original school rule codex-”

“He’s talking of the amendment of 1342,” said McGonagall shortly. “Which was added on only because of the then-current situation and the need for shared information between the various medical facilities during thecourse of the plague.”

“The amendment was never rescinded,” Scrimgeour pointed out.

“Our position as a separate institution-”

“Does not legally apply in this case,” finished Scrimgeour flatly. “The amendment was never rescinded, therefore the amendment stands, regardless of the intent of its original use.”

Professor McGonagall, who had opened her mouth to argue, closed her mouth with a small snap.

“Which brings us back to the point that you, Mr. Potter, according to Madame Pomfrey’s records, were the last student to be treated at the facility.” Scrimgeour rounded on Harry like a lion about to pounce. “Would you care to explain?”

“Explain what, Minister?” asked Harry innocently. “My being in the Hospital wing?”

“That will do to start with,” said Scrimgeour grimly.

“Rufus?” began Dr. Grigorio.

“I’m getting there Marco,” snapped Scrimgeour, and the greasy man receded back into his armchair.

“I had a fainting spell,” said Harry at once. Then, at Scrimgeour’s raised eyebrow, Harry added, “I’ve had them before. You can askanyone in our year; Professor Flitwick, Professor Trelawney. It has something to do with my scar,” said Harry casually. “I get these, oh, I don’t know, spells I guess you would call them. I’ve gotten physically ill several timesand fainted at least half a dozen times.”

“Exhaustion, Rufus, it doesn’t fit,” came Marco’s voice from the depths of the armchair.

“But your record clearly indicates that you were treated for, ahem,” Scrimgeour cleared his throat and drew a parchment scroll from his inside pocket. “Symptoms directly related to stress and/or physical exhaustion.”

“Lots of things can set off a fainting spell,” cut in ProfessorMcGonagall. “Just studying for exams has triggered any number of fainting spells in the general student population.”

“But it does not fit his record,” said Dr. Gregorio,emerging once more from his armchair. “In his first year, Mr. Potter wastreated for,” he took the scroll from Scrimgeour and gave it a tap with his wand. “Minor cuts, abrasions and mental trauma” due, Rufus assures me, to your unfortunate run-in with that deranged professor who killed himself in the dungeons of the school.”

Harry bit back a retort. It had been Voldemort who had killed Professor Quirrell. Under Voldemort’s direction Quirrell had attempted to retrieve the Sorcerer’s Stone from where it had been hidden by Professor Dumbledore deep below the lowest levels of the castle.

“In your second year, it seems that you had to have the bones of your arm grown back due to the actions of yet another inept and inadequate instructor.”

Harry winced, remembering the painful re-growing of all the bones in his right arm.

“In your third year it seems that you miraculously surviveda fifty foot fall from your broomstick during an intense game of Quidditch.”

Harry opened his mouth to point out that this was a case inpoint of his having had a fainting spell, but before he could speak Gregorio had continued.

“And in your fourth year you suffered an injury during the course of the Tri-Wizard tournament; specifically a laceration from the spikes of a Hungarian Horntail dragon.”

He’d suffered more injuries during that tournament than Harry expected the greasy little man would ever know, but he’d be damned if he was going to give him the satisfaction of telling him that. Professor McGonagall’s thoughts must have been moving in the same direction, for as the good doctor paused for a breath, McGonagall jumped in.

“Really, Dr. Gregorio, is this an inquiry into thehappenings in the hospital wing while Harry was an inmate there, or is this aninquiry into his entire medical history?”

“Speaking of which,” continued Dr. Gregorio, “why has noreference to the boy’s scar ever been entered into the records? Surely it has been studied, I mean, given the boy’s history . . .”

“Harry was brought up by his extended family; an Aunt and Uncle, both of whom are Muggles. It is highly doubtful that they would have considered the scar anything more than a disfigurement, and since Harry has been at Hogwarts there has never been any cause to-”

“He said himself that his fainting fits are related to the scar,” snapped the little man.

“He assumes they are related,” retorted Professor McGonagall. “But you still haven’t answered my question. What do these inquiries have to do with the current situation?”

“I am trying to determine the accuracy of the medical notes,” began Dr. Gregorio.

“Really!” exclaimed McGonagall, sounding offended.

Harry saw with some amusement, that Professor McGonagall’s lips had become very thin indeed, and Professor McGonagall in a temper was always a force to be reckoned with.

“Now, now Minerva,” said Scrimgeour soothingly. “We all know how much you and Dumbledore before you valued the boy,” he gestured toward Harry. “It is common knowledge that Albus covered for him on more than one occasion. You can’t expect that it would be so very difficult for us tobelieve that you had exerted your influence as headmistress to have the matrondoctor the records.”

“This line of reasoning is getting us nowhere, Minister,”said McGonagall in decidedly chilly tones. “If you wish a review of every incident Harry has been involved in — of his various trips to the Hospitalwing, by all means, start an official inquiry. Personally I would think that you would have more important things to tend to,” she drew a breath, then continued. “For the present, please limit your questions to the present circumstances.”

There was an awkward silence in which Harry could almost hear Scrimgeour’s mind trying to find a way around McGonagall’s roadblock. Behind Scrimgeour, Gregorio fumed furiously.

“I was promised answers Minister!”

“Yes Gregorio, I know what I said. Please bear with me.” Gregorio receded, seething.

“It comes down to this Harry. Who else was in the hospital wing the night you were injured?”

“You mean who came to see me?”

“No, who else was being treated at that time?”

“Er…no one that I can remember,” said Harry. Which was technically true. Neville and Lupin had both been in the hospital wing with him, but neither of them had been treated by Madam Pomfrey, the cup had done that.

“What about the blood?” growled Gregorio.



“What blood?” said Harry and McGonagall together.

“There was blood found on some of the bed linens that were confiscated from the school clinic,” said Scrimgeour with a stern look at Harry. “We have reason to believe that it belongs to a rouge werewolf, one Remus Lupin.”

Harry felt his stomach sink down to the soles of hisshoes. Hermione had been right, this entire business was about Lupin. Harry opened his mouth, but McGonagall beat him to it.

“Rouge?” she said with a sniff.

“Unlicensed,” said Scrimgeour at once.

“But I thought it was just magical creatures that needed to be licensed?” blurted Harry.

“As of February 1st of this year the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures has expanded their list of creatures needing a legitimate license to include all Dark Creatures as well as the usual magical ones.”

“I haven’t heard of this law,” said McGonagall shortly. “And I read the papers religiously Minister.”

“It has not been released to the public,” said Scrimgeour with a small, satisfied smile.

“So you’re going to arrest these werewolves for not complying with a law that they have no idea has been enacted?” said Harry before he could stop himself.

Scrimgeour gave Harry a patronizing look before replying. “Really, Mr. Potter, what good would it do to announce a law like this? Firstoff we’d scare the public into a panic at the thought of rouge werewolves.”

“Not that the Daily Prophet doesn’t do that already!”snapped McGonagall.

“Well yes, but this would be an official omission of aproblem,” countered Scrimgeour. “And we can’t have that.”

“It would be a pity to admit to the public that there is something the Ministry can’t handle,” said McGonagall coolly.

“Come now Minerva,” said Scrimgeour. “First we round them up, then we tell the public how we’ve come upwith another way of keeping them safe — and see what a success it is; all thedangerous werewolves in custody! Forty two have been tagged and sent to the holding camps in just the last two weeks.. You must see how much better this approach is?”

“Does Remus know about your law?” asked McGonagall through tightly compressed lips. “You call him rouge, but I guarantee you that if he had known about your law he would have submitted all the necessary paper work for a license.”

“He knows now,” said Scrimgeour with a small,self-satisfied smile.

“Meaning what exactly?”

“That he has been in our custody since Sunday.”

“What!” yelled Harry erupting out of his chair. He stopped dead however at the look McGonagall gave him over the rims of her square spectacles.

“You are telling me that you are holding Remus Lupin on charges of being unlicensed when he was never even aware that the law existed?” hissed McGonagall.

“Well, no. He came into the Ministry of his own free will— to answer questions regarding the arrest of the Death Eaters in the raid onthe Riddle House.”

“And you took advantage of his being there to have him arrested?” said McGonagall, sounding disgusted.

“Actually, it was pointed out to me by young Mr. Weasley that Remus Lupin had not yet applied for the license. We had no choice but to detain him. We can’t be making exceptions to the rules now, can we?”

Percy again. Harry could feel his fists clenching of their own accord. What wouldn’t Percy stoop to in order to get in with the wizards in power?

“Too many werewolf attacks,” said Gregorio, shaking hishead. “We must not take chances. Six dead. Fourteen turned now. No way to monitor them all. But to require a license will ensure that only those with truly docile natures are allowed any contact with wizards.”

He never came in for tagging Minerva,” said Scrimgeour witha shrug. “What were we supposed to do?”

Harry stared at Scrimgeour, uncomprehending. “How can youdo that to him? He would have applied for the license if he’d known about it!”

Harry sat down again abruptly. His head was spinning. Lupin arrested? Licenses for werewolves? What did they expect, that werewolves like Greyback , the ones who were causing the trouble, would just waltz into the Ministry and line up to submit the forms they’d filled out in triplicate?

“You seem unduly concerned about this Remus Lupin,” said Scrimgeour, looking down at Harry with a smug look on his face. “You and he were close then?”

“Relatively,” said Harry flatly. “He was named my guardian after my Godfather died.”

“Ah, close to your family then,” said Gergorio, nodding. “Which is why you may want to know the results of our analysis.”

“Do you think this is necessary?” said Scrimgeour gruffly, rounding on Gregorio.

“You saw the results Minister, the DNA analysis is conclusive.”

“But do we really need to include Mr. Potter in yourresearch?”

“If he can shed any light on the situation, Minister, we could be on the verge of finding a cure. Surely the risks outweigh the possible results.”

Scrimgeour heaved a deep sigh then made a go-ahead gestureto the greasy-haired physician.

“Well, Mr. Potter, it comes to this. Mr. Lupin came in for questioning regarding the disturbance at the Riddle House. Mr. Weasley pointed out that he was not on the list of licensure applicants, so on his way out we detained him. He put up quite a fuss, but after he saw the law as it has been written, he became somewhat subdued and accepted his lot with good grace.”

Hardly likely, thought Harry, unless they’d drugged him.

“The problem is, when we did the routine blood work-”

“Blood work?” croaked Harry.

“Tests Mr. Potter, to confirm his werewolf status, we must follow procedures after all; and the procedures for the arrest of any magical or dark creature requires that we do the blood work to prove incontestably that they are the creature in question.”

Harry bit back a sharp reply, giving Scrimgeour a nod tosignal that he could continue.

“Well, the results were — rather disturbing.”

“Disturbing how?” asked Harry through clenched teeth.

“Well, as Dr. Gregorio said earlier, the DNA analysis is conclusive. Remus Lupin does not carry the Dominant werewolf gene.”

“Amazing actually,” said Dr. Gregorio, his eyes goingrather dreamy and unfocused. “I have never seen anything like it. There has never been a spontaneous remission in one who is a full-fledged werewolf.”

For nearly an entire minute Harry and Professor McGonagallstared blankly at the off-putting doctor. It was McGonagall who recovered first.

“Wait a minute,” said McGonagall drawing in a sharp hiss of air. “You are telling me that you are holding Remus Lupin in custody under the charges of being an unlicensed werewolf when he is no longer technically a werewolf?”

“Oh, no, of course not. Mr. Lupin is no longer being held on charges of being an unlicensed werewolf. He is now being held for questioning regarding the nature of his spontaneous remission. His is an interesting case yousee; the only werewolf to ever be integrated into wizard society with relative success. It is all well-documented. His parents had exhaustive tests done when he was first bitten, so his DNA and blood samples are all on file. They do not match up with the samples we took at his arrest.” Gregorio was nearly bouncing now, his face had taken on the look of a five-year-old on Christmas morning.

“Oddly enough, however, the original samples — those in which Mr. Lupin tests positive for the mutated gene-do match the blood that was found on the sheets from the Hogwarts infirmary.”

“Perhaps the tests were read wrong?” suggested ProfessorMcGonagall tartly.

Gregorio harrumphed, a sound Harry had read before, but had never actually heard. “We have repeated the tests a number of times Professor. The analysis is conclusive. The Remus Lupin we have in our custody is no longer a werewolf.”

“Then release him,” said McGonagall at once. “You have no reason to keep-”

“We will keep him until he provides us with a believable explanation,” said Scrimgeour grimly. "Which he currently refuses to do."

“On what charges?” shouted Harry, unable to contain himself any longer.

“In the interest of National Security of course,” saidScrimgeour coolly. “If there is a way to reverse the mutation of the DNA caused by a werewolf’s bite we need to know.” Scrimgeour raised an eyebrow and turned to address Harry. “And I believe, young man, that you may just have the answer.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” said Harry instinctively.

“Oh come now Mr. Potter. You can’t pretend that this has nothing to do with you. On the same night that an extreme fluctuation in the Secrecy shield is detected — a fluctuation with an Unforgivable signature nonetheless — you, Mr. Potter, are admitted into the infirmary and the blood,the registered DNA signature of the werewolf Remus Lupin is found on thebed linens. Just days later Mr. Lupin is tested by the Ministry and found to no longer be carrying the mutated genetic strand. So Mr. Potter, would you like to rephrase your statement regarding the events of the night you spent inthe hospital wing?”

Back to index


Chapter 31: Hearts & Kisses

Author's Notes: I apologize! RL has thrown me for seveal loops (job changes / family problems etc). I thank all of you who continue to read!


CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE: Hearts & Kisses

The next morning the common room was unusually full of people, most of whom seemed to be crowded around the notice board. Harry hadn’t slept well, thanks to the numerous questions that were rattling around in his head. Annoyed, he pushed past the knot of people blocking the portrait hole and headed down to the Great Hall for breakfast.

He found Ginny was already ensconced at the Gryffindor table, eating her way steadily through a stack of toast as she perused a copy of Advanced Transfiguration which she had propped open against a jug of pumpkin juice.

“I think you and Hermione are spending entirely too much time together,” he said, grinning as he slid onto the bench beside her. “Transfiguration at breakfast Gin? Are you feeling all right?”

“Honestly, Harry” said Ginny, in an uncanny imitation of Hermione as she snapped the book shut and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Don’t you know that there is nothing in the world more important than homework? Especially seeing as that N.E.W.T.’s are only sixteen weeks away!”

“That was good! Almost too good. I’m afraid to kiss you now.”

“Come again?”

“Well, maybe if I kissed you right now it would feel like I was kissing Hermione.”

“Did you say you’ve been kissing Hermione?” said Neville interestedly as he slid in on the other side of Ginny and helped himself to kippers. “Doesn’t that bother you Gin?”

“No, I said it would be like kissing Hermione,” corrected Harry. “I never said that I’d kissed her.”

“But then that sounds as if you’ve kissed her in the past,” Neville pointed out. “Otherwise how would you know what kissing Hermione would be like?”

“Wouldn’t bother me actually,” said Ginny grinning broadly as Harry squirmed uncomfortably beside her. “Who Harry snogged before we got together is none of my business.”

“Who’s Harry been snogging then?” asked Ron, stifling a yawn as he took a seat opposite Neville and began piling his plate with everything he could reach.

“Hermione,” said Neville and Ginny together.

Ron froze, his cheeks bulging with sausages. He swallowed with some difficulty then turned to Harry and, in a rather strained voice that was struggling to remain genial. “You want to clarify this mate, or should I just kill you now?”

“Why would you want to kill Harry?” asked Hermione, nudging Ron over so that she could take a seat beside him. “Can you pass me the eggs, Ginny?”

“For snogging apparently,” said Neville blandly as Ginny, whose hand was shaking with suppressed laughter nearly upset the entire platter of eggs into Hermione’s lap.

“I thought we’d discussed this Ron,” said Hermione with a heavy sigh. “Look, you’ve upset Ginny. You’ve got to come to grips with the fact that girls today can kiss whomever they choose.”

Ron and Neville goggled at Hermione as she blithely poured herself a glass of pumpkin juice.

“Just because you see something you don’t like doesn’t mean that you have to get all protective,” she continued then, catching their expressions said, “What are you two looking at me like that for?”

“So you’re admitting it then,” said Ron, his voice choked. He was distracted momentarily by Harry snorting into his Goblet.

“Of course I admit it,” said Hermione serenely as Harry’s snort turned into a full-fledged laugh. “I told you Ron, women today can choose how they display their affections.”

“That’s not on!” growled Ron.

“Well you didn’t see Harry or I getting on you about snogging Lavender all over Gryffindor tower now, did you?”

“That was different!”

“How?”

“Well, when I was going out with Lavender I wasn’t snogging other girls, was I?”

“Wait a minute, Ron, what are you talking about?”

“You know what I’m talking about! I’m talking about you snogging Harry!”

“Me snogging-”

“Harry, yeah,” said Ron moodily poking at the eggs on his plate. “I mean, come off it Hermione, you really expect me to just sit back and watch while you and Harry go at it?”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” said Hermione, sounding outraged. “I’ve never-”

“I’d want some privacy if it were me,” said Neville serenely. Ron glared at him.

“Ron,” said Harry, leaning forward across the table. “I haven’t been snogging Hermione.”

“But I thought-”

“This is what happens when you come in at the end of a conversation, idiot,” said Ginny conversationally.

“So you never kissed Hermione, Harry?” asked Neville interestedly as Ron subsided, his ears retreating from scarlet to a more manageable pink.

“No!” said Hermione and Harry in unison.

“Not even back in fourth year?” Neville pressed, a crease forming between his eyebrows. “You were always together, and then that Skeeter woman wrote-”

“Yeah well, Rita Skeeter wrote a lot of things,” said Harry heavily. “Trust me, Neville. Hermione helped me out a lot that year, getting ready for the Tri-Wizard tournament and everything — but we were never, you know, an item.”

“Nope, that was Krum,” said Ginny nastily.

“Here we go again,” Hermione sighed as Ron’s ears once more turned scarlet.

“Ginny!” groaned Neville and Harry together.

“What about Krum?” came a new voice, Luna’s, from behind them.

Harry turned to look over his shoulder. Luna, looking almost normal in a pink and white polka-dotted jumper was standing behind Neville, watching the proceedings with a small half-smile.

“Nothing!” said Hermione, Harry and Neville together.

“No, Victor Krum took you to the Yule Ball fourth year, didn’t he?” said Luna dreamily. “I didn’t dance at the Ball you know. There was far too much mistletoe hung over the dance floor.”

“Nargles, yeah,” said Harry, suppressing a smile.

“So that’s why you only danced the once with Parvati!” said Luna brightly. “Very perceptive Harry. Yes, from the way everyone was acting that night, I’m sure there were whole herds of them.”

What’s a Nargle? Mouthed Neville over Luna’s head, Harry shrugged.

“But I don’t think that will be a problem this time,” said Luna with a small shrug. “Filch is bringing in a flock of Cupid’s, but they’re safe enough if you don’t provoke them.”

“Cupids?” said Harry stupidly, remembering the winged cherubs that had hovered over the tea table at Madame Pudifoot’s.

“Yes silly, you can’t expect to have a Valentine’s Day Ball without some decorations, can you?” said Luna vaguely.

“What Ball?” said Harry, Ron and Neville together.

“The Valentine’s Day Ball,” said Luna patiently. “I expect you heard about it if you’ve got half an ear on you. I mean, its all anyone’s talking about, isn’t it?”

“Guess I missed that bit,” said Harry with a sideways look at Ginny. “That must have been what everyone was crowded around the bulletin board for.”

“The notices went up last night,” said Hermione with a stern look at Ron. “Two week from this Friday. Weren’t you paying attention when McGonagall handed them out at the Prefect meeting?”

“I — no, I guess I wasn’t,” said Ron with a sheepish grin and a significant glance at Hermione who had gone rather pink.

Do I even want to know what they were doing under the table during the prefect meeting? Wondered Ginny sub-vocally, causing Harry to spray his mouthful of pumpkin juice across the table.

“It’s been a while since we had a dance at Hogwarts,” said Neville, who had gone a delicate shade of pink. He cast a sideways look at Ginny who grinned back at him.

“Going to charm someone else in the Fairy Grotto this time Neville?” laughed Ginny.

“That’s right, you went with Neville to the Yule Ball, didn’t you Ginny?” said Luna serenely.

“I’d forgotten about that,” said Ron, scowling darkly at Neville. “I also seem to recall that neither of you made it back to Gryffindor tower until after I did.”

“Yes, well, that was then,” said Ginny complacently. “And this is now — are you game Harry?”

“Game?” repeated Harry.

“Yes, do you want to go to the ball with me?”

“Will there be a Fairy Grotto?” wondered Harry brightly. “With rose bushes and everything?”

“I’ll take that as a yes,” said Ginny giving him a kiss on the cheek as she slid off the bench. “And now I’m off for a scintillating potions session.”

* * *

Harry was amazed at how something normal - like a Valentine’s Day Ball — could lift the spirits of the Hogwarts students so completely.

Over the next week instead of stumbling across knots of students talking earnestly about the latest Dark Creature attacks or the dreadfully depressing headlines of the Prophet, he would round the corner to find groups of giggling girls discussing dress robes or boys in pairs discussing the best methods for getting girls alone long enough to ask them out.

“They’re always in packs!” moaned a Ravenclaw third year to his companion as Harry and Ron passed them on their way to Transfiguration on Thursday.

“What do you think they’re afraid of?” wondered Ron as the third years turned off down the Charms corridor.

“Looking stupid I expect,” said Harry. “Don’t you remember fourth year?”

“Course I do,” muttered Ron as they slid into their seats on either side of Hermione. “Sort of hard to forget.”

“What’s hard to forget?” asked Hermione, looking up from Standard Book of Spells, Grade 7.

“How difficult it was to screw up the courage to ask a girl out for the Yule Ball,” said Ron with a grimace.

“Well you never did ask Padma out, did you?” said Hermione conversationally. “I mean, you sort of yelled at Fleur, but it was Harry who asked Parvati, and Parvati who asked Padma for you, so you never actually asked anyone Ron.”

“I asked you in case you forgot,” said Ron raising his eyebrows at her.

“A little late,” sniffed Hermione.

“Not like this time,” said Ron, grinning at her.

“I take it he’s asked you already?” Harry asked Hermione in an undertone as Professor McGonagall tapped the board so that the instructions for their lesson appeared in her crisply neat script.

“First thing I did mate,” said Ron leaning across Hermione so as not to be heard by Professor McGonagall who was now handing back their last essays on Exceptions to Thermal Laws in the Conjuring of Animate Creatures. “Call it a lesson learned.”

Harry grinned to himself as he opened to the pages McGonagall had marked on the board. Fourth year Ron had dithered over asking a girl to the ball, finally asking Hermione as a last resort, only to discover that she had already been asked by none other than the International Quidditch Player Viktor Krum. Their row in the common room following the Ball had become the stuff of legend. Ron had refused to admit that he had asked Hermione as a last resort, putting the blame on her accepting Krum’s invitation. They had treated each other like polite strangers for weeks afterwards.

For Harry, Ron and Hermione’s fight had been a rather disturbing revelation; for watching the pair of them Harry had first come to the realization that Ron and Hermione were, in truth, attracted to each other. Granted it had taken almost three years for them to admit it to each other…Harry glanced sideways at the pair of them. Ron was reading and Hermione was writing notes, but they were sitting close enough so that their legs touched, and Harry could not help but see the small smile dancing around Hermione’s lips as she scribbled, nor the look of smug satisfaction on Ron’s face when Hermione’s left hand slipped onto his knee.

“Now class,” came McGonagall’s voice, interrupting Harry’s train of thought. “In today’s lesson we will be working without pre-existing creatures. The point of course, as the material covered in the essay so clearly explains, is to conjure an animate creature out of apparent thin air. Can someone please explain the connection between the third thermal law and the conjuring of mammals? Miss Granger?”

Harry sighed deeply as Hermione’s hand shot up, nearly knocking off his glasses. No matter how much some things changed, others remained exactly the same.




Back to index


Chapter 32: Working the System

CHAPTER THIRTY:  Working the System

 

“Blimey, Harry, how did you get out of that one?” croaked Ron as Harry finished telling Ron and Hermione about the events in the Headmistress’s office on their way to Potions.

 

“McGonagall,” said Harry promptly.  “She lit into them — I’ve never seen anything like it!  She told the Minister under no uncertain terms that unless he had an official request for inquiry from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement that he could consider the conversation over.

 

“And figure the odds of that happening while Dad’s in charge!” crowed Ron.

 

“Now Ron,” admonished Hermione, “you know very well that if there was just cause to be investigating Harry your father wouldn’t stand in the way of the law.”

 

“He would if he thought the investigation would jeopardize the work the Order’s doing!”

 

Hermione looked skeptical, but decided not to pursue the issue farther and instead turned to Harry. “So was he telling the truth?”

 

“Mr. Weasley?” wondered Harry.

 

“Of course not Mr. Weasley, I was talking about Scrimgeour.  Was he telling the truth?”

 

“About what?”

 

“About Lupin?  Is he really being held at St. Mungo’s?”

 

“According to McGonagall, yes.  She used that portrait — that healer, what was her name?  The one that checked on your Dad, Ron, after he’d been bit by the snake?”

 

“Dilys Derwent” said Hermione automatically.  “She was Headmistress of Hogwarts — can’t remember the date.”

 

“Be still my heart!” exclaimed Ron, clutching his chest melodramatically.  “You mean to tell me that there is actually a date that the great Hermione Granger can’t remember?”

 

“Oh put a sock in it, why don’t you,” suggested Hermione, but she didn’t bother to hide the small smile that was playing at the corners of her mouth. “So she used Dilys to check on Lupin?” she asked Harry.

 

“Yeah.  By all accounts they have him in an isolation room; top of the building.  It’s an interior room with no outside windows and only one entrance.”

 

“But it must have a portrait” said Ron, frowning slightly. “Otherwise how would she have known so much?”

 

“Interesting actually, the portrait in the isolation room is of Sir Cadogan.”

 

“What, that mad knight that ran us all over the castle third year when we were looking for Divination?” spluttered Ron. “The one they used to replace the fat lady and kept changing the bloody password?”

 

“Yeah,” said Harry, allowing himself a small grin. “Turns out he wasn’t just a wizard — or just a knight.  He invented some potion that used dragon tears.”

 

“Ooh! Tears of Desire!” squealed Hermione.  “Really?  Sir Cadogan?”

 

“The tears of what?” said Ron curiously.

 

“The Tears of Desire,” said Hermione, going a bit pink.  “Dragon Tears are an extremely powerful aphrodisiac.  The potion they call Tears of Desire uses Dragon Tears to make an incredibly long-lasting euphoric performance enhancer.”

 

“Performance enhan- oh!”  Ron’s ears turned scarlet and, more to give him a chance to recover his dignity than to show off, Harry jumped in.

 

“Most expensive one you can buy it seems.  According to McGonagall, Cadogan made a fortune off of his potion. Guess he was really good at getting the tears from the dragons without killing them.  Something about tying up virgins?”

 

“Yes, exactly,” said Hermione excitedly.  “There are only two ways to make a dragon cry, one is to steal its young; the other is to present it with a human, a virgin, bound head and foot.  The dragon cries for the purity with which it is presented.”

 

“So it feels bad for the, er, virgin?” said Ron curiously.

 

“Not so bad that he doesn’t eat her — or him,” said Harry with a wicked grin at the expression on Ron’s face.

 

“Him, yes,” said Hermione with a mischievous smile.  “The gender doesn’t matter to the dragon, only its purity.  So it could be a him. We all start out as virgins after all Ron.”

 

“Well yeah, I-I know,” stammered Ron, his ears once again reaching a boiling point.  “But how can anyone get close enough to catch the tears?  Look at all of Charlie’s burns.”

 

“Charlie’s hardly a virgin,” said Hermione promptly, engendering a hoot of protest from Ron.

 

“Come off it Hermione, you know what I mean!”

 

“Well, according to The Day of the Dragon — don’t look at me like that Ron, I read it back in first year after that business with Norbert.  Anyway, the Dragon is so impressed by the purity of the virgin that they become oblivious to everything around them, savoring each bite if you will.  Another person can approach them, touch them even, and the dragon will be oblivious to their presence.  So it would be easy to collect the tears.”

 

“Not for the virgin,” said Ron grimacing.  “So what happens when someone steals a dragon’s baby?”

 

“Well, the key there is to not let the dragon see you steal it,” responded Hermione.  “They see you take their young and you won’t get far, believe me.”

 

Harry suddenly shivered at the memory of the Horntail’s vicious attempt to disembowel him when he had taken the golden egg from her clutch back during the Tri-Wizard tournament.  He didn’t even want to think about what it would have done if it had been a baby dragon he had stolen, and not an egg.

 

“But if you can steal it away without their knowing, the dragon will mourn their child with no regard to anything around them.  They’ll do this for three straight days, so the collector has plenty of time to collect their tears.”

 

“So Cadogan offered up virgins?” wondered Harry idly.  For some reason Harry couldn’t imagine the stout little knight and his fat pony tying up young virgins so they could be eaten.

 

“Did McGonagall say?” wondered Hermione.

 

“No, but he didn’t seem the type to kill people for dragon tears.”

 

“Well, he was a wizard,” said Ron with a shrug.  “Maybe he used magic to save the girl-”

 

“Or boy,” Hermione reminded him.

 

“Yeah, well, maybe he used magic to keep them from, you know, getting eaten.”

 

“Or maybe there is a reason his portrait is locked up in an isolation room,” suggested Hermione. “And kept up on that lonely landing here in the castle.”

 

“Speaking of isolation rooms,” groaned Ron as the door to the Potion’s dungeon opened up and a line of first years filed out.  “We’re working on the invisibility potion again today aren’t we?”

 

“Quiz actually,” said Hermione, flashing a small, triumphant smile at Harry.  “Closed book.

 

*     *     *

 

Harry couldn’t concentrate, not with the knowledge that Lupin was stuck in St. Mungo’s; not with the knowledge that Lupin was a key member of The Order of the Pheonix.  What if they got tired of waiting for Lupin to tell them what had happened that night in the hospital wing?  What if they decided to slip some Veritaserum into his water jug?  What if…?

 

No.  McGonagall had been very specific.  Before he had left the office — but after Scrimgeour and Gregorio had stormed out — McGonagall had lectured him sternly on not going after Lupin.

 

“I know you would find a way to get to London,” she had said waving her wand dismissively.  “You might even be able to figure out a way to spring him. Heaven only knows how many times you’ve demonstrated your ingenuity. But Harry, please, think.  Think of what will happen if you were to try and fail.  You would alert the Ministry to Remus’s importance.  They might get suspicious; start questioning him.  We can’t risk exposing the Order Harry.”

 

“But Lupin-” began Harry.

 

“This is a job for Arthur Weasley I think,” McGonagall had continued, cutting him off.  “Let the system work for once Harry.  They have no right to keep Remus locked up-not a legal one, anyway,” she’d amended as Harry had opened his mouth to remind her of the fact that Stan Shunpike was still languishing in a cell at Azkaban.

 

As if she could read his mind, McGonagall had then added, “Stan Shunpike was overheard bragging about what he had done.  True or not, they had witnesses to his little speech; no evidence of an actual crime mind you, but enough to keep him locked up, just in case.  So keep your head down on this one.  Besides, you have more important things to be worrying about right now.”

 

It had only been Ginny’s unspoken comment, she’s right you know Harry, let Dad handle this one.  He’s good at working the system, that had kept Harry from flying in McGonagall’s face and taking off for St. Mungo’s right then and there.  So now, here he was, teeth grinding as he tried to concentrate on the questions written on the parchment Slughorn had placed in front of each of them and failing miserably.  But he had to try; if for no other reason than the fact that Hermione would be intolerably smug if he failed another quiz.

 

*     *     *

 

“What did you think Harry, Ron?  Did you put the lungwort in before you stirred twice counterclockwise or-”

 

“For once, Hermione, would you skip the play-by-play?” groaned Ron as Hermione, true to nature, began going over the particulars of the quiz.  “Really, we all know you’re top of the year, do you have to rub it in?”

 

‘I am not!” protested Hermione.

 

“Bullocks!” returned Harry and Ron in unison.

 

“No, really, I’m ahead in most classes, but you’ve got me beat in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Harry,” cried Hermione brightly. “And Potions,” she added through clenched teeth for, much to Hermione’s chagrin, once Harry had been able to clear his head he had aced the Potions exam, a feat that had surprised even himself and had, of course delighted Slughorn.

 

“You’ve still got the rest of the term to catch up,” said Harry nastily.  He knew that part of his grade was due to Slughorn’s ill-founded belief that Harry had inherited his mother’s brilliance for potions.  The rest he owed to the detailed notes in the Half-Blood Prince’s potion book which he still used, in spite of its having once belonged to Snape.

 

When the three of them emerged in the Entrance Hall, they found the usual lunch crowd on their way to the Great Hall.

 

“Harry!  Harry!” Colin Creevey hove into view, his over-stuffed back pack making him look like a turtle in danger of flipping over onto its shell. 

 

“Alright Colin?” said Harry, ignoring a sharp jab in the ribs from Ron.

 

“Harry, I was supposed to tell you, McGonagall’s-”

 

“There you are Mr. Potter,” said McGonagall.  “And Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger too, how fortunate.  If you three would please follow me.”

 

Looking crestfallen at not having been able to deliver his message, Colin moved off toward the Great Hall.

 

“Oh yes, I almost forgot, someone should fetch Ms. Weasley, as this concerns her too.”

 

I’ll meet you there.  Ginny’s thought came through clear and Harry couldn’t help the small satisfied smile that crept onto his face when he felt her in his head.

 

“No need professor, she’s on her way down from Gryffindor tower now and says she’ll meet us at your office.”

 

McGonagall looked at him nonplussed for a moment before recovering her composure.  “Well, all right then.  After me,” and she turned on her heel, heading for the gargoyle guardian that led to the Headmistress’s office.

 

“I’ve had news,” said McGonagall as soon as the door to the office had shut behind Ginny.

 

“About Lupin?” Harry guessed, taking an involuntary step toward McGonagall’s desk.

 

“Seems that Arthur was successful,” said Professor McGonagall beaming at the four of them.  “As you know, yesterday I alerted Arthur to Remus’s unfortunate detention.  Remus Lupin has been released into the custody of one of the Ministry’s most valued and trusted Aurors, Kingsley Shaklebolt.”

 

“Cor, that was some fast work!” said Ron, sounding amazed.

 

“Quite brilliant actually.  It seems that your father,” McGonagall nodded toward Ron and Ginny, “suddenly ‘remembered’ that the Department of Magical Law Enforcement was supposed to do a ‘routine’ sweep of St. Mungos to check for any infractions.  Turns out that they found Remus — and no record of his having been admitted, so the Department of Magical Law Enforcement took him into custody pending an investigation.”

 

“An investigation?” said Hermione, sounding worried.  “Professor, wouldn’t an investigation put the Order at risk?”

 

“Can’t they arrange for Lupin to escape of something?” wondered Harry.

 

Professor McGonagall gave him a sharp look over the rims of her square framed spectacles.  “I’m sure I don’t have a clue as to what you are talking about Mr. Potter,” she said, but there was a smile crinkling around her eyes and Harry couldn’t help giving her a grin in return. 

 

“It’s all being very well documented of course,” continued McGonagall.  “The Department of Magical Law Enforcement has released a statement to the Daily Prophet stating why they have Mr. Lupin in custody and what he is being held for.”

 

“Dad’s nothing if not thorough,” said Ron, trying hard not to grin.

 

“And that’s good that he’s keeping a record of everything,” said Hermione seriously.  “That way if something does happen, there is documentation of Mr. Weasley and his Department having taken every precaution and the blame will not rest with them.”

 

“Scrimgeour would find a way to blame whoever he thought responsible,” said Harry grimly.

 

“Yes, but he wouldn’t be able to prove it,” insisted Hermione.

 

“You mean like how he hasn’t been able to prove that Stan Shunpike is actually a Death Eater?” Harry countered.

 

“You know that’s different Harry,” said Hermione with a dismissive gesture.  “Mr. Weasley doesn’t go about claiming that he’s been practicing the Dark Arts.”

 

“Yes well-”

 

Good thing they haven’t looked in our shed recently, added Ginny sub-vocally.

 

“I will make certain to keep you all informed,” said McGonagall, interrupting the disagreement before it could get out of hand. 

 

“Professor,” said Ginny, speaking out loud for the first time since they had entered McGonagall’s office.  “Is it true what they said, Scrimgeour and Gregorio I mean, about Lupin’s no longer being a werewolf?”

 

“All the tests are conclusive,” said McGonagall with a nod.  “The real test of course will be this next weekend when the moon is once again full.”  McGonagall paused with a glance at the distorted goblet that sat inside the glass shelf beside the melted locket and the still-intact Harp.  “Lupin’s attendants are under instructions for him not to be given any of the Wolfsbane potion.”

 

Harry stared at the cup, a shiver creeping up his spine.  If McGonagall was right, if drinking from the cup had cured Lupin not just of his immediate problems but of his long-term condition, what sort of power had he, Harry, been holding in his hands?  How could anyone be expected to be able to handle that kind of power?

 

If anyone can do it, Harry, you can.

 

“Yeah, right,” replied Harry without thinking.  Ron, Hermione and Professor McGonagall all looked at him.

 

“Er…sorry, just thinking out loud,” muttered Harry.  Damn it Ginny, I’m never going to get the hang of this.  

Just remember what Rowena said, Harry, when she was telling you about the Harp, Ginny reminded him.

 

Harry remembered, she had said  that “Its power, while great on its own, is nothing next to that wielded by all four of the objects on which we founded the Halls of Hogwarts, especially when united by the hand of He Who Will Heal Our Land.”

 

But what, Harry wondered, could it possibly mean?

I suspect that you’ll understand what it means when the time comes.

 

Harry could only hope that she was right.

 

 

 

 

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=8756