Search:

SIYE Time:12:38 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Searching for the Moon
By WaterLily

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 7
Summary: Ginny is frustrated with Harry as he trails after Cho. Harry is frustrated as Cho keeps on crying. Trail their thoughts on a bright, fateful day in Hogmeade...just a little missing thoughts moment set in the cringeworthy Madam Puddifoot's.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4267







ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer: None of JKR’s work is mine…obviously! The inspiration for this story comes from a quote that my friend once told me, but I can’t remember the exact wording

[A/N: These are mainly thoughts that run through Harry and Ginny’s heads. I switch POVs a couple of times, but it should flow with the events that happen. It’s not all that confusing but just a little warning that it could be. Another point, I do know that Michael and Ginny break up after the match but I broke them up slightly earlier to fit into the story. This should make the story go into AU but it is really, really minor and the story on the whole is Canon — it wouldn’t fit well into the AU category. That was just another warning. Not a spoiler. Enjoy!]


Searching for the Moon

Ginny’s POV

I walked down Founders Street on Valentines Day, on the arm of my gorgeous boyfriend. Gorgeous, brainy, but not Harry. It was Michael Corner.

I had told Hermione some time ago that I wanted desperately to give up on Harry, and she told me that the best way forward on that road…was to get a boyfriend. She said that I had to act like myself; otherwise, he would never notice me.

If I were always hiding behind those around me, I would never get seen.

At the time, Harry had a crush on Cho Chang. Tall; stick-thin; long legs; straight dark hair; clear blue eyes; ahem…developed, in certain areas. That was Cho Chang. That was my pole opposite. I was petite; not curvy, not skinny, slightly on the slim side; had shorter, curly, red hair framing a pale, shadow-eyed face; ordinary brown eyes; and I was…let’s say, lacking in all that puberty brings.

He would never notice me against a stunning beauty like that. I was proven right as Michael and I went into Madam Puddifoot’s.

There was Harry, sitting at a table with Cho Chang, like they were on a date. The only thing that brought my hopes up from the scrunched up ball of rubbish in the dustbin was that Harry looked incredibly awkward and slightly bored, while they talked.

Maybe that was because of the slurping couples around them. I had to admit though; Roger Davies was being really disgusting, sucking that Hufflepuff’s face like that.

I saw Harry glare threateningly at the Cupids, and then look back down at the table after receiving a face full of the pink confetti. They really were annoying, those Cupids. I frowned, myself, as one of them poked me threateningly with its arrow and pointed me to the just-vacated-booth Michael was already sitting in.

Cho looked extremely put off about something as Harry awkwardly fished some confetti from his cup, before gulping half of it down in one.

Ooooh! That’s painful! I could even feel the scalding in my throat. And I hadn’t drunk anything yet!

I threw one last, longing glance at Harry and turned back to Michael, tears burning in my eyes.

He was too occupied to notice anything anyway. The fact that he and Cho were not glued at the mouths was a consolation, though, if any.

How could he not notice me? If he did, he wasn’t letting on. And if he did, he would only ever think of me as Ron’s baby sister. He always had. Ever since I had run after the train when we first met, ever since I put her elbow in the butter dish that summer before my first year, his entire knowledge of me was that I was a quiet, shy little girl who was his best friends baby sister.

It didn’t really help that Ron said, loudly, that I never used to shut up. The bumbling fool brought out my carefully hidden secret without even realising it. That ten-year-old Ginny Weasley had an enormous crush on the Boy-Who-Lived.

I blinked hard and looked down at my coffee, that Michael had ordered for me. I didn’t even like coffee! What right de he have to order me coffee?! I blinked me eyes to get rid of the tears and looked up at him. Even in depression and love-aches, no one could keep down a Weasley’s anger.

But when I looked up, my anger dissipated as fast as it had come. Michael was trying fruitlessly to catch my gaze, to see if I approved of his decisions. When we had just started to go out two weeks ago, he used to never do anything on his own. He always waited for me to do everything. And it drove me nuts.

Now, he was slowly doing things on his own. But the next thing that drove me nuts was that he also started making decisions for me, too! I smiled weakly, wryly and rolled my eyes as he blushed and looked down.

Turning my gaze to Harry again, I saw there was trouble in paradise. Cho was starting to cry. But Harry was still trying unsuccessfully to calm Cho down.

That was the problem with him. And me. He only had eyes and a heart for Cho. He never even wanted to see any other girl. I always thought I was so unworthy of him that I tried to hide myself in the shadows of the preening beauties.

He was searching for the moon. I was a star nearby. And if he’s searching only for the moon, then he’ll never see the stars. Never.

~*~

Harry’s POV

Just do it. Just reach out, Potter, and grab her hand.

Amazing, how much more difficult it was to extend my arm twelve inches and touch her hand like the rest of the normal couples, than it was to catch a speeding snitch from midair.

She really was stunning, but somehow, being around her didn’t really feel comfortable, it didn’t seem…right. Whenever we talked, we always had to search frantically for a subject that we both had in common.

It was too awkward.

Especially when she started talking about Roger Davies. Really! Why had she agreed to come out with him, if all she wanted was to have Roger Davies glued to her face?

“I came in here with Cedric last year.”

There it was.

Her reason for coming to this revolting teashop was to talk about her ex.

Her ex, Cedric, whom I had led to his death.

My insides went glacial. Not because of the draught from the door, as a couple left. But because she had the audacity to talk about such a sore topic, in such an open environment, with a guy who was already touchy-feely about what had happened last year.

How could she do that to me?

She was beautiful, but she must have feelings behind her cold smile and fake- maybe not-so-fake tears.

But then, I can’t talk. I probably aren’t that sensitive myself if I didn’t want to talk to her about Cedric. He was her boyfriend.

Maybe I should give it a shot.

No.

I’ve already talked about it to Ron, and Hermione. And Ginny to some extent.

But they’re different. They have been there for me years. I only met Cho, really, last year.

Trying to distract myself, from the cutesy couple that were just coming in, I looked into her eyes, startled to see her crying.

Bloody hell! Not again!

She was worse than a leaking hosepipe!

I wish some other people were here. Hermione was planning something in the Leaky Cauldron; Ron was probably eating…er…stuffing his face…now, after having finished Quidditch Practise; and I haven’t the foggiest where Ginny is.

Maybe she’s somewhere in Hogsmeade.

What am I daydreaming about? I have a crying Cho on my hands!

Must concentrate, Harry! Must concentrate! Don’t think about anything else but the sprinkler in front of you! Salvage your relationship later!

I focused in on her face, ignoring the glances we were getting from some other people.

She was talking angrily, jealously, about how I only hung around with Hermione.

That was laughable.

How could she say that, when all my thoughts were about her? Except the ones about Umbridge, Voldemort, Quidditch, Occlumency, DA, Ginny.

Ginny?! Where did she come from? And since when do you think about her, Potter?

I shook my head vigorously. I really thought I was going mad. She was like a sister to me. Again, I had to shake my head to focus on this mountain of a task ahead of me. I had to show Cho how absurd the idea was about me fancying Hermione, another sister-like figure in my life.

And so I laughed.

Wrong thing to do.

Never laugh at girls.

Never laugh at crying girls.

Never, ever laugh at Cho when she’s crying.

You get stung on the bum. Hard.

I watched, helpless, as she stormed out of the teashop. Would she calm down enough to save our suicidal relationship?

Probably not.

And staggering thing was that I didn’t really care. I got up and left the shop, disgusted. I don’t think I really noticed anything else, but I know that half the shop was staring at me.

~*~

Ginny’s POV

He looked so sad, so helpless. My heart went out to him as Cho left. It really, unbelievably did.

But part of me wanted to just jump up and down, screaming for joy. However, for the sake of those around me, I restrained myself.

As I slurped my coffee noisily, I noticed that Michael was looking at me strangely. Probably because I was grinning like a fool, but maybe because I was drinking the coffee that I had just told him I hated.

For the first time since we started to go out, he looked like he wanted to dump me. No wonder! I wasn’t really a great girlfriend. There is only one boy who could really make me happy and it definitely isn’t Michael. We obviously weren’t made for each other, so I thought I should take things into my own hands. Again.

I put the coffee down and looked into his eyes. But before I could say anything, he opened his mouth.

“Ginny, I don’t think we’re really working out. I can’t go out with you anymore.”

“I was going to say the same thing. We could still be friends though?”

“Sure. See you at the Quidditch! Ravenclaw are bound to win. Gryffindor really isn’t much without Wood, Potter and your two brothers. There isn’t a chance!”

That was the straw that broke the camels back.

“How dare you make a comment like that? You’ll have to eat your words so fast; they’ll be streaming out of your ears!”

I slammed my cup down and to my great satisfaction, he seemed to be quivering.

Apparently, he had heard of my Bat-Bogey Hex.

Pathetic.

I whirled around and stalked out of the disgusting shop. Now that nobody was there to see, I let my emotions go.

Tears were streaming down my face as I hugged myself tightly. To those around me, I would be crying because I had an argument with Michael. But inside, my heart was aching for Harry.

That sounded strange. We were so close, as friends; he had actually started to talk to me. Not much, but enough for me to get to know him as my big brother’s best friend.

As I walked back down the main street in Hogsmeade, I barely registered my surroundings. I could only see one person, walking down the road to the Three Broomsticks.

No! I didn’t want him to see me! He wasn’t supposed to see me like this! When he finally looked up, he was supposed to see a beautiful...or... at least presentable...young woman, not the great blubbery mess that I was!

He seemed to sense my gaze as he walked. I just managed to duck into an alleyway when he turned his head and frowned. He probably saw a flash of my hair, but I don’t think he really noticed. Stars blink and then you can’t see them when they go back behind the moon. You think you never saw them.

I longed to go and comfort him, be the one to make him happy. But he would never truly look my way. I would have to accept that.

He was too caught up in his sorrow for the one he couldn’t have.

I was a tiny star. He was searching for the moon. He only wanted the moon.

~*~

Harry and Ginny’s POV

After the Kiss in the Common Room

“Harry?”

His face lit up as they swung their hands, walking casually around the lake.

“Hmmm?”

She took a deep breath as she prepared to ask a question that could change her life, this year.

“Why…why did you kiss me?”

His smiled faded slightly, changing from carefree to careworn.

“I thought that you wanted me to. I wanted to.”

“Why?”

He huffed, not angrily, just pondering how to answer the question that hung in the air between them.

“When I came in, I saw you running towards me with this blazing look in your eyes. You looked so determined. And I was already attracted to you. I have been since the end of last year when you pulled me out of the shell that I was after Sirius died. I knew that you weren’t going out with anyone, and I decided to do it, kind of in a split second, probably not the best decision I’ve made in my life.”

He looked uncertain now, as if she would just get up from where they were sitting, under the beech tree, and leave, never talking to him again.

She smiled reassuringly and rested her head against his shoulder.

“It was the best you’ve ever made. I always knew you worked best under pressure,” she joked lightly.

“Ginny, will you be my girlfriend?”

“If you kissed me like that and you didn’t want to be my boyfriend, then I would be forced to hex you!”

He grinned wryly and they sat in comfortable silence, each was thinking about the other.

Harry breathed out slowly as he gently stroked Ginny’s hair. It looked so beautiful, with the moonlight glittering off the strands of gold streaked in her red tresses.

“I love you, Ginny.”

She sat up, amazed that he would utter those words so soon. Then, her face split into a wide beam, threatening to break her face.

“You really do?”

He smiled lopsidedly and tightened his hold on her; he leaned down and brushed his lips against hers.

“Yes. I really do.”

She snuggled up to him, restlessly. Then, not finding any position next to him comfortable enough, she climbed onto his lap, mildly surprising him, and hugged his head, kissing the top of it.

“I love you, too. Have for ages. Even if you are a moron.”

“Hey!” He cried, indignantly, drawing back and putting on a mock scowl, “I would go to the moon and back for you!”

She smirked casually and started running her hands through his hair, something she’d always wanted to do.

“You already have.” She replied softly.

“How so?”

She sighed and moved so that she could relax against him again. She might as well eliminate any embarrassing secrets from between them now.

“You had gone out on a date with Cho, hadn’t you, last year?”

“Uh huh. But you wouldn’t call that a date.”

“Ok, so I used to think that Cho was the moon and that I was a star. The moon is absolutely gorgeous and if you just look at that, then you can’t see the stars around it. It’s a saying I once heard: Those who are searching for the moon will never see the stars. Last year, and even the year before, I remember you wanting to only be with Cho, and how jealous you were of Cedric. You went on a date with her and then you…sort of…‘came back’ to go out with me.”

He was amazed at the symbolism behind that one phrase.

“Ginny, I look at a star everyday. The moon isn’t seen every night, like when there’s a new moon, like tonight. And during the day, even the moon hides behind a star’s light.”

“I don’t get you.”

“Did you know that the Sun is a star?”

“Really? Wow!”

“And you know, the moon has craters all over its surface. And it relies on the sun to reflect light to the Earth. It’s nowhere near perfect. But stars give off their own light; each star is unique; and apart from a few hotspots, stars are perfect.”

Ginny had tears trickling gently down her cheeks, even though she was smiling.

She reached up and they shared a long, sweet, loving kiss. When they broke apart, Harry bent down to whisper in her ears.

“There’s only one star I could ever see, Ginny…You.”

They held each other in the starlight until it became too cold for them to stay any longer.

As they walked back, Ginny looked up at her first love and felt a warm shiver in her heart.

Harry, too felt a flutter in his chest as they held hands tightly.

They knew in the deepest corner of their minds, that their souls were touching.

Love was, indeed, a beautiful thing.


[A/N: Hope you liked it! It is a bit too perfect, but it’s fluffy enough for me. Also, some of the content may not seem believable enough, and all I can say to that is “Perfection doesn’t have to be real!” Thanks for reading... Next step is reviewing...]
Reviews 7
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear