Search:

SIYE Time:17:26 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Time To Love
By WaterLily

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Fluff
Warnings: None
Rating: PG
Reviews: 5
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2006 ***

Looks at Harry's thoughts and feelings as he tries to let down his friends gently. He doesn't know when his sacrifices will end, especially when Dumbledore's portrait reveals some unwanted news to him. He is adamant that nobody else will be hurt and knows that the only way to do this is to go on alone. See how his friends try and convince him otherwise...
Hitcount: Story Total: 2754







ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer: All belongs to JKR…*sobs* Wish something apart from the plot was mine!

[A/N: Hope you like it — this is my first attempt at angst so please don’t be too mean when you review (BIG hint)!!!]


The Time To Love

Sacrifice

Harry slouched up to the sixth years’ dorm, the place where he would probably spend his last night at Hogwarts, once his home. He crawled dejectedly under the covers and stared at his two best friends.

Merlin, he was thankful for them. More than they could ever know.

They looked at him, their faces portraying their veiled concern. He knew they cared for him, and that they would follow him to the ends of the earth, but he couldn’t take that burden with him. He couldn’t deal with the guilt he would have if he had lead them into danger.

The guilt of taking Ginny with him, however, was even more, and he was forever grateful for her understanding. He loved her. And that was infinitely more important to him than…than…even these two great friends in front of him.

He would gladly give himself to Voldemort if it meant that Ginny could have a few more seconds of happiness and life.

He had rid himself, painfully, of the burden of having someone to love; now he had to let down his friends as gently as possible. When would his sacrifices end? When could he just get on with his life?

Probably never. He could never be able to save the world and be the same person he was, that Ginny had fallen in love with. She wouldn’t want him anymore, and he would be better off if he died trying.

He grimaced and smiled bitterly as he echoes Oliver Wood’s words from third year. It really was his fault that Voldemort came back. He should have let Remus and Sirius kill Peter then and there.

Then Sirius would still be alive, Voldemort would still be…incapacitated. And they would have had more time to sort themselves out for when he finally did come back.

But he would not have had Ginny. At least he was comfortable in their love and he could be content in the knowledge that she was safe.

His Ginny.

Maybe this was what Dumbledore was talking about. His ability to love would protect him. If he knew that his loved ones were safe, he could continue on without panicking. Just a deep, ever-lasting, pain in his heart. The fear of never saying goodbye.

At least he would know they were safe. That they would live and have happy lives. For that, he hoped.

He looked up, startled out of his trance as Hermione cleared her throat nervously, gazing into his green eyes, knowing the worst, but still wishing for better.

He would really regret leaving them behind, especially since they had so willingly offered to accompany him.

He felt desperately sorry about these circumstances, but he would have to search for these Horcruxes alone. It was his destiny. The best he could give.

“Harry. We’re coming with you. You’re not leaving us. I can see it in your eyes. And we won’t let you do this to yourself.”

Ron’s voice was firm, laced imperceptibly with hurt and anger that his friend would even consider leaving them behind.

“I have to Ron. There’s no choi-”

“You DO have a choice. DAMNIT, Harry. You DON’T have to do this ALONE! Stop acting like a BLOODY MARTYR!”

His voice ended in a shout so loud that Hermione winced as he punched Harry’s trunk on the floor next to him. Harry shook his head, even more regretful, more determined, to end this sorrow in the world. People deserved to live.

Hermione gently took Ron’s hand and led him gently back onto the bed, like a mother leading a lost child. She cradled his head on her shoulder as he began to sob, looking tearfully back at Harry, whose emerald eyes were refusing to stop leaking.

Her voice was almost steady, calm, as she took on her persistent expression, the one she used when the boys hadn’t done their homework.

“Ron’s right, Harry. Pushing us away won’t help. You need to rely on other people. You need to let others shoulder some parts of the world. You can’t carry it by yourself.”

“Yeah, Harry,” Ron mumbled, looking up now, furiously wiping the tears from his eyes; the fight had left him now, as quickly as it had come, “You’ve already pushed my sister away. The least you could do is keep us with you.”

He steeled himself and stared from Ron’s clear, trusting, loyal blue gaze, to Hermione’s warm, intelligent, knowing hazel stare.

He sighed in frustration. They had him there, with those words. He had to let them help. He needed their help. But he still wasn’t willing to give up so easily.

“Look. You guys are great. You really are. And if I were sensible, I would use your talents to help me. But I can’t, don’t you see? I love you both too much. I can’t take you into battle with me. It would be downright distracting.”

Hermione sat up straight and one could almost see the wheels turning in her head.

“That’s it! Your power to love! Harry! We have to go and see Dumbledore’s portrait. Now,”

She grabbed his hand tightly and dragged him out of the dorm, with Ron following closely behind. It would be easy, now, to enter the office without being seen. Everyone was still down at his grave.

~*~

They ran up the moving staircase and burst into the office, panting.

“Ah! I wondered when I would be seeing you again, Harry. I presume you have come to talk to me about what will happen now that I am dead, hmm?”

“Sir. I have to go on alone. I can’t take them with me. It’s too dangerous!”

“I completely agree.”

Harry, Ron and Hermione were flabbergasted. Harry had thought that he would have to fight some more; Ron and Hermione had thought that Dumbledore would allow them to go.

He only smiled at them and went on to explain his reasoning.

“Harry, I need you to call a meeting of the Order. Make it as soon as possible. I will tell everyone what I deem necessary and allocate Horcruxes for different teams to destroy. And before you ask, Harry, yes, it is vital to do this. You only need to worry about Voldemort. When I had told you to refrain from divulging the secrets of our lessons, I had in mind a plan of destroying the Horcruxes before your seventh year. That plan is now in shambles, Harry, and we need to plan a course of action that would benefit us. We need to work together, not alone: that’s where Voldemort failed. There is no ‘i’ in ‘teamwork’, Harry.”

Harry hung his head, accepting that the Order would have to help. But he would do his utmost to make sure no one was hurt. Not the Weasleys, not his friends, not his mentors. Especially not Ginny. He couldn’t involve her in this. Not ever.





[A/N: What’s this I see? It’s an email! What does it say? You have received a review for your story, The Time To Love! How delightful! *Wakes up and checks email, just to find out I was dreaming* Please make my dream a reality!!!]
Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear