Search:

SIYE Time:0:36 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


How Do I Live?
By herbiegirl8

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:None
Genres: Songfic
Warnings: None
Rating: PG
Reviews: 14
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

What will happen when Harry, Hermione, and Ron return?
Hitcount: Story Total: 12062; Chapter Total: 2498





Author's Notes:
And here it is, the fourth chapter.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“Well, as I live and breathe, Bridget Evans,” said Tom.

Bridget flinched a little, but recovered quickly. She turned to Tom, and smiled her famously disarming smile.

“I’m sorry sir, but I don’t know who you’re talking about, my name is Audrey,” she replied, hoping Tom would buy into the flat-out lie.

“Don’t try that with me, you are wearing your Aunt’s necklace. You would never sell it. Not to mention your brother would kill you if you let it out of the family.”

She decided to give up, and closed her eyes, a thoughtful look covering her face. Her golden blonde hair darkened to a deep red, and curled into angelic ringlets. Her pale skin darkened into a healthy tan. Her face filled out a little, and her nose shortened. When she opened her eyes again, they were no longer a piercing gray. They were instead a startling blue. A dark line of gray circled the iris and thin lines of gray threaded their way through the blue.

“That’s better,” Tom said, a small smile gracing his features, “Now, have you been to see Harry yet?”

“No,” came the sullen reply.

“And why not?”

“Because I’m scared Tom, okay! I admit it, I’m afraid,” Bridget hissed, upset that he was already forming opinions, after only having know she was back for a couple of minutes, “I am afraid he will reject me, I’m afraid he’ll hate me for Scott and me not coming forward sooner,” she said, referring to her older brother.

“He won’t hate you. He will understand. He has always been like that. He tends to accept things easily. Of course, he will be angry with you; however, he’ll get over it. And he certainly won’t reject you and Scott, because family matters too much to him for him to do that.”

Bridget looked down. Her hand rose and she began fiddling with the necklace that had given her away. It had been in her family for as far back as her family tree went. It was an ornate design of swirling diamonds and emeralds, set in solid white gold.

“How are you so sure?” Bridget queried

“I’ve been watching him since he was eleven, and I talk to those around him. Now, I have to close up now, but will you do me a favor?” Tom replied.

“What is it? I have to know before I agree,” Bridget replied carefully.

“Will you come here tomorrow and tell me what you, your brother, and your sisters have been up to for the past eight years?”

“Sure,” Bridget said, looking forward to catching up with an old friend.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Not long after Harry, Hermione, and Ron had returned to the Burrow, Harry had received a letter from Headmistress McGonagall.

July 3

Dear Mr. Potter,

It seems we are in need of yet another Defense against the Dark Arts professor. After reviewing your O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. scores, along with looking at your practical experience, we believe you would be the best choice for this post. On a more personal note, I do hope that you will last longer than your predecessors did. Please reply before August 1.

Yours Sincerely,
Headmistress McGonagall


Harry had jumped at the chance to take the job, since it meant that he and Ginny could be together, instead of being separated again.

“I didn’t know that you took your N.E.W.T.’s,” Ginny commented after Harry had showed her the letter.

“Yeah, all of the professors would owl the material to us for us to study, and we came in for a few days in April to take the tests.”

“Why didn’t I notice you?”

“We arrived at night, and didn’t leave the quarters McGonagall provided for us.”

“Oh, OK.”

“You sound upset.”

“Just a little upset that no one thought to inform me that three of the people I cared about most were in the castle, and that they were safe.”

“You had exams, and we didn’t want you to be distracted. I did see you, though. The rooms we were given had a view of the Quidditch pitch, and I watched while you practiced.”

“Was I good?” Ginny giggled.

“Very good,” Harry said, glad she was not upset with him.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

At noon the next day, Bridget entered the Leaky Cauldron, and walked up to the bar, setting her purse on the stool beside her. Tom glanced up, smiled at her, and walked over.

“Now, I haven’t seen you since you were fourteen, how’ve you been?” Tom queried.

“Well, I opened my own business, a little jewelry shop. It’s across from Weasley Wizard Wheezes. Alexa and Adelaide just graduated this year, and Scott is married,” Bridget said, all in one breath.

“You do know that Harry is dating the younger sister of the twins that own Weasley Wizard Wheezes?”

“Yeah, Remus told me.”

“How did Remus find out you were still alive?”

“He was one of the few who knew we never actually died in the first place.”

“So when are you leaving?”

“Leaving?”

“For Hogwarts.”

“How did you know...?”

“I spoke to Minerva last night, and she mentioned she offered you the transfiguration post. Said it was getting too hard to be headmistress and teach at the same time.”

“I also expect she told you Harry got a teaching post there as well?”

“She may have mentioned it.”

“Well, in answer to your question, I am leaving tomorrow. Minerva wants the professors there early.”

“Six weeks early?”

“Yup,”

“Promise you’ll write?”

“Of course.”

Bridget leaned across the counter and gave Tom a hug before leaving to finish packing. Elizabeth had promised to manage the shop as long a Bridget continued to do the bookkeeping, as long as Elizabeth owled the receipts from each week on Sundays, which was the only day they were closed.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Many miles away, Ginny and Harry had just finished packing, and were going to be leaving that night to be settled in before the other professors began to arrive. Harry shoved his last sock into his last trunk before shrinking the trunk and putting it into his pocket with his two others. He hurried down the stairs and met Ginny before they said their goodbyes and apparated to Hogwarts.
Reviews 14
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear