Search:

SIYE Time:5:00 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Grey Maiden II: Slytherin's Heir
By Chris Widger

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 189
Summary: After saving the Philosopher's Stone, all that Harry, Hermione, and Daphne want is an uneventful year. But yet another Weasley, a crazed house-elf, and a series of strange occurences destroy any chance of that. But as students begin to be attacked by the mysterious Heir of Slytherin, Harry finds himself one of the primary suspects. But as the attacks mount, and with them, the coincidences, Harry is forced to answer the most difficult question: What if they are right?
Hitcount: Story Total: 99752; Chapter Total: 6298





Author's Notes:

This is probably the lightest chapter I've ever written. I hope you enjoy the interaction with the twins.





ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter

Chapter 11: Family Ties

As much as Ron Weasley had been embarrassed by the Polyjuice incident, he soon had a new weapon to use against the ‘evil Slytherin corruption’ of Harry Potter. It was confirmed thatGinny Weasley would be alone…well, with her family. For the holidays.

As she was miserable.

While Fred and George continued to try to be civil to their sister, it was obvious they weren’t fond of what she had become (Ron had given them a heavily-edited version of the incident, omitting the actual reason that Harry now held a four-thousand pound weight over his head). Percy wasn’t any better, preferring to just ignore his sister at all times, avoiding her in the hallways, and not responding if she said hello to him. He’d often moved upstairs or to the library when Hermione would invite Harry and Ginny into the Gryffindor Common Room. Neville Longbottom had tried to engage them in conversation multiple times, but seemed fearful of Ron’s wrath. Harry realized that the boy probably had few friends, and didn’t want to alienate any of them.

Ron was less blatant than usual, but he still reminded Ginny that she’d be alone with them for the two-week holiday break (it was longer this year, for some reason). It was strange that a girl wouldn’t want to be with her family, but the only family that Ginny wanted to see was her parents. He’d found her crying several times in remote locales of the castle, depressed that she’d be alone, and also very guilty that she didn’t want to be with her brothers. It took a cold-blooded threat from Harry to stop Ron constantly reminding her.

After receiving Ginny’s permission, Harry had even sent a letter off to Daphne, asking if she might talk to Molly Weasley and see if she might allow her daughter to spend the holidays at Dressler Manor. Ginny wasn’t optimistic, though, she expected that her mother would be shocked that she was even asking and would baby her, believing that this was part of her already-shattered crush. Harry’s tactic making Ginny constantly aware of her infatuation, while not giving in whenever her crush became apparent, seemed to have worked. Ginny no longer felt the least bit embarrassed or awkward around Harry.

She’d also begun to pick up some friends of her own. She was especially spending a lot of time around Luna Lovegood.

Luna had to be the strangest individual that Harry had ever met. According to Ginny, her childhood friend had been very quiet and shy, and had been extremely close to her mother, Amanda, who was employed by the Spell Research and Development, but preferred to do the vast majority of her work at home. When asked, Daphne couldn’t recall ever meeting her.

Nor could Andromeda, who visited the Department often in her job as Head Secretary of the Accidental Spell Damage Department at St. Mungos. Andromeda, while under a Secrecy Charm, couldn’t disclose the names of patients, but could rattle off dozens of strange cases that crossed her desk. Many of them involved spells never seen before, hence the visits to the ‘Think-tank,’ as it was known in the Ministry.

Regardless, the death of her mother had apparently changed her daughter a great deal. She could now spit out hundreds of facts about dozens of non-existent creatures, and read the Quibbler like Muggles read Scripture. What was deceiving about her was that in between the spurts of nonsense, Luna was easily as observant as Harry or Nott, and had a talent for recognizing both the obvious and the subtle. One simply head to learn to filter out the details of Snorkack migration and learn to nod agreeably, and you’d hear some of the most profound things that a girl wearing a butter-beer cork necklace had ever said. Some didn’t make much sense, of course.

It could be a test of his patience at times, but Ginny seemed to find it amusing, and could actually have four or more lines of intelligence conversation before Luna said something odd.

Still, like with Tonks, a conversation was never boring when the girl’s dreamy voice entered it.

Ginny’s other new friend was Anne Grunitch, the same girl that she had met the night of the Sorting. Anne was, obviously, very different than Ginny. She seemed kind to those she liked, while cold and unhelpful to those she didn’t. Harry didn’t know her level of magical power, but she seemed bright enough. She was also ambitious, and competed with Ginny for the highest marks in the year, without the aid of the two most diligent and studious pupils in Second Year. Still, Harry wasn’t sure if it was natural ability or simply determination to be better than everyone else that drove the girl. He had a feeling she was not a person he’d like to get on the bad side of.

Harry and Hermione had finally hit a rough patch in Second Year, with the arrival of some rather difficult Transfiguration and Potions. The former required great precision, while the latter required more than just knowledge of the textbook. Harry found that he was developing a feel for the subject, and was able to make accurate judgments and guesses to improve the potency of their potions.

At this moment however, Harry was in search of the third ‘conspirator’ in Ron Weasley’s idiotic plan to infiltrate the Slytherin Dormitories. From what he’d gathered from Terry and Mandy, Penelope Clearwater, a Muggleborn Ravenclaw Prefect known for her passion to succeed, was not a likely candidate to brew an illegal potion, and even less of a candidate to trust Ron Weasley with the execution of the plan. Nonetheless, when confronted, Dean had implicated her.

He left Hermione in the library, where she was attempting two equally difficult research projects: find new spells that they could learn before their magic matured, and figure out what could allow someone to Petrify a living being without the aid of the ridiculously long and strenuous ritual that was normally required.

His destination was the last place he’d seen Ron and Dean that seemed suspicious: Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom. As he approached, he heard voices, and knew he’d hit pay dirt.

“…You told Potter!” a slightly hysterical female voice cried out. “Are you insane?”

“…it wasn’t my fault!” a petulant-sounding male voice replied.

“…he would have found out anyway,” a defeated sounding voice replied. Harry had already identified the latter two as Ron Weasley and Dean Thomas. The first was, no doubt, the aforementioned Penelope Clearwater.

“…SO WHAT!” Penelope cried. “It’s not your career and magical education that’s hanging in the balance…and Percy…”

“…what made you want to be with that stuck-up prat anyway!...So he dumps you, big deal!”

SLAP

Harry took this as his opportunity to make an entrance. He roughly shoved the door open, putting on a sly grin as he did so, and surveyed the scene in front of him.

Myrtle had apparently been rather unhappy recently, as the bathroom was flooded, and all four people in the room were now standing in about an inch of water. Harry had heard about the bathroom from Hermione, but this was the first time he’d been inside it. The floors and walls were cracked and chipped, and it looked like most of the toilets and sinks were out of order. He also noticed a boiling cauldron atop one of the toilets in a stall off to his right.

As to the people in the room, Harry gave them each a look-over. Dean was slumped against one of the sinks, his body language defeated. He had a dejected look in his eyes, and a kind of forlorn resignation that they’d been beaten. Ron was standing in one of the deeper pools of water, next to the mirrors. His right hand was currently touching his cheek, which was bright red from where Penelope had slapped him for his tactlessness.

The aforementioned Ravenclaw Prefect looked terrible, her face pale and drawn, her eyes red-rimmed from crying, and her hair disheveled. She looked like she hadn’t slept in days. She probably hasn’t if what I overhead was true. This could get her expelled, and as a Muggleborn, she’d lose her only chance at advancement and a magical education. It’s really a fine line they walk, and Dean ratted her out. No wonder she’s mad. I doubt this is about Percy at all…

As he entered, all three froze in horror and turned to look at him, eyes widening. Penelope paled as Harry’s emerald eyes drifted to the boiling cauldron. “My, my…what do we have here?” he asked, already knowing exactly what was going on. Ron spluttered, and Dean coughed.

Penelope recovered her composure remarkably fast, and crossed her arms across her chest. “Fine. You’ve got me Potter…what do you want?” she asked sharply.

“Leverage. It’s always useful to have it over a Prefect…” Harry said, his Slytherin tendencies showing themselves. Indeed, being able to have a Prefect on his side, unwilling or not, might get him out of a number of sticky situations that he might find himself in.

“…Why you slimy…”

“Quiet, Ron,” Penelope snapped, turning hard blue eyes back to Harry. “You’ve got it. You no doubt just overhead our whole conversation. I know how you Slytherins operate. You keep your mouth shut, and I do something for you in the future…Fine. It’s not like I have any choice.”

Harry nodded. “Why did you do it? I really thought you more intelligence than this…”

Penelope sighed, the hard look in her eyes clouding over with regret. “These two somehow convinced me that as a Muggleborn, it was in my best interests to help them solve the mystery of the Heir of Slytherin. I was stupid enough to believe them. That, and I don’t want my relationship with Percy getting back to the twins…they’ll make our lives hell.”

Harry stared at her. “Let me get this straight…you bought that? And risked everything on the word of an idiot like Weasley?”

“Hey!” Ron yelled. Dean elbowed him in the ribs. A quick look from Harry shut him up.

“Well…?”

Penelope sighed again, running a hand through her tangled hair. “My family isn’t that wealthy…I thought that we might get a reward-No, actually, Ron guaranteed we’d get rewarded…I can’t believe I bought that…”

“Neither can I,” Harry admitted, his voice stiff and business-like, “but what’s done is done. You understand your part, I understand mine.” Penelope nodded sharply as she tried to maintain her composure.

“How can you just let him do that?” Ron demanded. “How can you just…just give up to that bloody Slytherin?”

She rounded on him. “Because he has the upper edge. Sometimes you have to concede defeat.” Harry nodded, a small smirk breaking through his stoic, business-like expression.

“She’s right…I recommend you get rid of that Polyjuice before I accidentally tell Snape he ought to check on the Second Floor Bathroom. Routine checkup, y’know?”

Penelope glared at him. “I’m sure, Potter. Not a word.”

“I may be Slytherin, but I keep my promises. You help me out at some point in the future, and I don’t tell Snape who was going through his personal store cupboards,” Harry replied evenly, then spun on his heel and left the three to clean up their mess.


“Pass the marmalade, would you Harry?” Ginny asked. Harry handed it to her, and took in her physical state. She looked very tired and anxious, and would occasionally glance over at her brother, Ron, who was pointedly ignoring her.

It had taken Harry a while, but he’d finally figured out why Ginny was so nervous about staying with her brothers at Hogwarts. She certainly didn’t fear for her safety, and Ron could be as big an arse and Percy as big a prat as he wanted, but Fred and George weren’t going to abandon their little sister. But what Ginny was afraid of was that they wouldn’t treat her like an equal, that they’d treat her like some poor little child who had had her good and innocent way corrupted by the Slytherin Demon known as Harry James Potter.

He couldn’t blame her for being depressed.

“You know Ginevra, families are meant to be together. Sometimes healing can only be achieved once people have mutual understanding…like how Night-Eyed Bliggies eat the nargles out of each other’s hair,” Luna stated. Harry, Hermione, Ginny, Terry, Mandy, and Padma all blinked at that declaration. It was December 15th, and Christmas Break was drawing near, just three days away.

“…Okay, Luna. Thanks…” Ginny replied uncertainly.

“No problem Ginevra…heliopath got your tongue, Harold? You don’t want to undergo the treatment for heliopath possession at the Ministry. They suck your brain out with a magical straw and replace it with a tank of vampire blood.”

For some reason, the word ‘possession’ cause Harry to shudder. He blinked twice, both at Luna’s nonsensical declaration and that strange feeling. Hermione was staring at Luna as though she could decipher the enigmatic girl’s language by gazing into the depths of her soul.

Harry glanced up when he heard the chatter increase, and saw the morning post owls flying through the window. He was surprised to notice his own snowy owl flying down towards them. Hedwig landed right next to Harry and began helping herself to his bacon, while sticking out her leg. Harry pulled the ribbon off his familiar and scratched her behind both ears. “It’s Daphne’s reply,” he said. Ginny sat up excitedly, and scooted over so that they could read it together.

Dearest Harry,

As we agreed upon, I’ll be meeting you at King’s Cross once you get off the Hogwarts Express. Tonks has managed to get time off so that she can come with Andromeda (She REALLY wants to see you…I’d be wary), so they’ll both be staying with us.

As will Ginny. I flooed her mother, and while she was a bit averse to having her only daughter stay with a male friend (I’ll not say boy friend as to spare her some embarrassment if she’s reading this), she eventually agreed it would be best. She’s rather disappointed with her boys, and I don’t want to be Ronald when he gets home. Or Percy.

It seems like things are looking up. It’s horrible what happened to Lisa, and I hope Dumbledore doesn’t let his guard down because there hasn’t been an attack in about a month. I’ve got some spells I’ve picked out that I’ll have you read up on. We’re going to do some work this summer, Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry or not. The Ministry won’t be able to find out at any of our homes; the wards are too strong.

So, back to the point of this letter. If Ginny wants to come, just send Hedwig back with a reply, and I’ll owl her mother. I have no doubt that Molly will send Ginny something exuding over-protectiveness and smothering love. I pity her, and tell her I’ll let her make her own decisions during her stay at Dressler Manor.

Love,

Daphne< /i>

Ginny giggled as she read the letter, and Harry turned to her. “What?”

“Oh, it’s nothing. It’s just that Daphne knows Mum so well. Everything she predicted is almost guaranteed to happen. So I get to stay with you over break?” Ginny asked excitedly.

Harry nodded, smirking. “And Tonks. Never forget Tonks. And get ready for some merciless verbal torment.” Ginny smiled.

“I think I can handle it…so, Hermione, are you going to be coming by?”

Hermione looked thoughtful. “I hope so, I just don’t know how much my parents will push for me to stay with them. They really…I don’t know, it’s probably strange for me to be spending so much time away from them, considering how close we’ve been in the past…”

Harry nodded. “You ought to give them that, Hermione. We’ll see plenty of you when you get back.”

Hermione sighed. “I know…I just…last summer, I tried to socialize with some of the children in my neighborhood, but they’re all Muggles and…well, Biology doesn’t really compare well to Transfiguration…”

“That’s got to be tough, pretending that you don’t live in another world except for homework,” Ginny said sympathetically.

“It is,” Hermione said sadly.

Harry and Ginny were in the library, practicing the movement for a Shielding Spell. Hermione was feeling a bit under the weather and had gone to Madam Pomfrey for some potions and a lie-down. As he went around Ginny’s back, taking her wrist and working her through the movements for the Cross-, Ron approached, looking murderous and Ginny jumped back like she’d been scalded. Harry deftly stepped aside, so that he was slightly in front of the younger girl. “What do you want, Ron?”

Ron mouthed something, and Harry stared. Then he cancelled the Silencing Charms. “Sorry, what was that?”

“Why’d the bloody hell did you put Silencing Charms up in the library? Teaching my sister Dark Magic?” he demanded angrily.

Harry rolled his eyes. “Practicing her classwork, mostly, as well as mine and Hermione’s. We were just working on the Shielding Charm.”

“Yeah right,” Ron muttered. Then he looked up brightly. “So, Ginny, I came here to ask if you’d like to stay with the rest of us in the Gryffindor Dormitories for the Christmas Break. There’s so few Gryffindors, I doubt McGonagall would mind.”

“…well, you see Ron…” she began nervously.

“She’s staying with me at Dressler Manor,” Harry finished for her. He then whispered a few Silencing Charms, to contain the inevitable explosion. Ginny looked absolutely terrified as Ron turned an interesting color of puce, his ears so red that Harry half-expected to see steam coming out of them. And he hadn’t had a Pepper-Up Potion.

“WHAT? YOU’RE STAYING WITH HIM! HOW THE BLOODY HELL IS THAT POSSIBLE? DOES MUM EVEN KNOW?”

“Yes, Ron, she does,” Ginny replied, tearing welling up in her eyes. Harry’s ire rose.

“I’M GOING TO KILL YOU, YOU BLOODY, SODDING-“

Out of the corner of his eye, Harry saw Hermione, wand drawn, say something from beyond the Silencing Charms. It turned out to be the incantation for the Stunning Spell, as a red jet of light hit the furious redhead in the back, and he slumped to the ground.

Hermione walked through the charms, a regretful look on her face. “I really wish I didn’t have to do that.”

Ginny took a deep breath, a few tears in her eyes. “I just wish he wouldn’t be such a git…that he would grow up.” She turned to look at them. “I just don’t understand why he can’t see how nice you are,” she said sadly.

Hermione walked up to her and the younger girl into a hug. Harry meanwhile, levitated Ron’s unconscious form to another part of the library, recast the Silencing Charms, and sat there, arms crossed, waiting for him to recover.

This was just getting out of hand. He needed to have a talk with Weasley, before he drove his sister into depression and Harry over the edge. And there wouldn’t be much left of him to be scolded by his mother if the latter happened.

Ron stirred with a groan, blinking repeatedly. Harry kept his wand in hand in case things didn’t go so well, but kept it pointed at the floor. He gave Ron a hard look, and the redhead glared at him. “What do you think you’re doing, Stunning me like that? I’ve got some dirt on you now, Potter!”

Harry didn’t blink, remaining stoic and composed. “First rule of blackmail, Weasley: make sure you actually have dirt in the first place. I didn’t Stun you; Hermione did. And it was because you were a second away from doing something you’d very much regret.” He said this with no anger, no resentment; no emotion at all. It was more intimidating, in a way.

Ron seemed to take this in. “What do you want, Potter?”

“We need to have a talk, Weasley. One that doesn’t involve wand, fists, or threats,” Harry said. There was an air of authority to his voice, a maturity beyond his years that was present in anything Daphne said.

“What do you mean?”

Harry paced around. “Get up, Weasley. I don’t want to talk down to you. That undermines the whole exercise.”

Ron got to his feet, his hand plunging into his robes. “No wands, Weasley,” Harry said, dropping his own on the floor, and then rolling it towards the middle of the space with his toe. Ron reluctantly followed his lead.

“What’s this about?” he said, taking a deep breath.

“It’s about your sister, Ron. It’s about how you’ve been treating her like, well…how you treat me. Which is hardly the way that one should behave around immediate family, am I not right?” Harry asked rhetorically.

“I guess…I guess I’ve been ignoring her a lot,” Ron admitted.

Harry stopped pacing. “If she hadn’t been friends with me, how long do you suppose it would have taken for you to get over what House she was Sorted in? Answer me honestly.”

Ron looked thoughtful for perhaps the first time Harry had ever seen him. “I dunno. I was really mad…though it was more with you…but Ginny can’t be Slytherin! She’s a Weasley, they’re all redheads and Gryffindors!” Ron protested.

Harry sighed. “There’s your problem, Weasley…Ginny is Slytherin, and is whether I never speak to her again or not. You need to accept that, or we’re going to have problems. That isn’t a threat; that’s a statement of fact.”

Ron nodded. “It’s just so…strange, I dunno…I don’t trust you around her, and I don’t like you…I mean…I dunno…you’re a Parselmouth, and you weren’t at the Feast, and you’re really sneaky and, I dunno…” he said lamely trailing off. Obviously, he couldn’t truthfully say he thought that Harry was evil or Dark.

Of course, that brought up another question.

“I know exactly what you mean, Ron. I am who I am,” Harry stated, looking him straight in the eyes. “And I’m not ashamed of it. My parents were Gryffindors…I’m not. It doesn’t reflect badly on any of us.”

“What House was your guardian in?”

“Ravenclaw…but that just proves my point. I’m not evil, Weasley. I despise Voldemort and everything he stands for. He took away my parents. I’ll admit I have ambition, but as of now, I have no secret plans to succeed him. Ginny isn’t dark, Ron. I’m teaching her things that may save her life one day. Like it or not, Ron, Voldemort isn’t gone yet. I fought him last year, I know…and you know what?”

Ron shook his head, his eyes wide from these latest revelations.

“I nearly died because of it. I stood no chance against him. He was weaker than he’s ever been, and he still nearly killed me. I’ve faced Death twice, Weasley. And it’s only because my mother loved me so much that she gave her own life that I’m still here.”

Ron muttered something incoherent, and Harry ignored it. “I don’t like you, Weasley. I think you an impulsive, crude, attention-seeking prat who has played a large role in making my life a living hell. I don’t trust you, because I think you’ll jump on any possibility to win something over me, or get me in trouble, as if that’s an accomplishment.”

“I just…I’m sorry. I really am. I really shouldn’t do that…it’s below me…I still don’t like you hanging out with my sister, though. You’ve got to admit its weird having your baby sister go off for two weeks with a boy you hate.”

Harry snorted. “It’s not going to be the two of us. Tonks, who will get along famously with Ginny, is going to be there, along with Daphne and Andromeda. I like Ginny as a good friend, nothing more, nothing less. I suggest you stop thinking otherwise…and as for why she’s going, it’s because of you. You’re doing it again, believing that taking her away from me for two weeks is something to be proud of. All you are doing is hurting her. She doesn’t know what to do anymore. You’ve been such a git to her that she doesn’t want to be around you, yet the things that you’ve been saying to her make her wonder if she’s betraying your family. Are you proud of that, Weasley?”

“No,” Ron said. “Look, I’m sorry. I really am…I just…I dunno, I wasn’t thinking…”

“No,” Harry said coldly, “you weren’t. You need to grow up Ron, live in the real world. Because your social skills are atrocious.”

And with that, Harry left the redhead, for the first time feeling that he’d made a breakthrough.


“-so let me get this straight.”

“-Ickle Ginnikins-“

“-is staying with you for the holidays-“

“-which we aren’t thrilled about-“

“-but we’ll get over it-“

“-yes, we trust you Harry-“

“-we trust you to know that it might be a good idea not to come back to Hogwarts if you hurt her-“

“-but back to the subject of this long demonstration-“

“-of our ability to read each other’s minds-“

“-Mum is going to let her precious, innocent little Ginevra-“

“-stay with some boy-“

“-for two weeks?” they finished together. Harry, who had managed to follow the whole conversation by looking at neither of the twins, simply listening to their voices, nodded.

“Daphne says that your mum was alright with the idea. Trust me, I won’t hurt her. I value her friendship too much for that…and yes, I know that you’ll kill me, or at least make my life a living nightmare, if I do something that isn’t…” Harry trailed off. It wasn’t like he’d do anything inappropriate. She was eleven years old!

“We knew we could count of you, Harrikins,” George began.

“Ickle Ronniekins may not like you, but you’re okay-“

“For a Slytherin, of course.”

Harry smiled. “You know, I know a few decent Slytherins. Theodore Nott and Blaise Zabini aren’t that bad.”

“I dunno, Fred-“

“-afterall, Nott doesn’t have a sense of humor, and Zabini’s a bit sneaky-“

“-got Lee in trouble couple of weeks back-“

“-not surprising, seeing as he was hexing the area in front of the Slytherin Dormitory to turn to first person that exited it red and gold-“

“-using a modified Glamour Charm created by yours truly,” Fred said pompously.

“-I beg to differ, oh brother of mine. I believe that I was the one who perfected it.”

“Like I said,” Fred pointed out, “I created it. You perfected it.”

Harry leaned back against the wall next to the fireplace in the Gryffindor Dormitory. Word had gotten back to the twins that their little sister would be staying with the evil Slytherin mastermind, Harry Potter, and while they hadn’t been as…forceful in their protests, despite the humor, it was obvious they weren’t thrilled with the idea. Percy had simply walked up to him as he passed through the halls and told him to ‘be civilized,’ whatever the bloody hell that meant.

Hermione was across the room, talking to Angelina Johnson and Katie Bell about something. He had no idea what possible interests the two Gryffindor Chasers and the bookworm could share, but all three were breaking into giggles at random intervals, for seemingly no reason. As well as he knew Hermione and Ginny, Harry still found girls baffling at times.

“Oi! Harry, you with us?” George asked loudly, waving his hand in front of the black-haired boy’s face.

Harry’s attention snapped back onto the two pranksters in front of him. “I’m here. So you’ve given the okay to bring Ginny home with me?” he asked curiously.

George looked over at Fred and something unsaid passed between them. Then they both extended their hands, one left, and one right. Harry shook both of them without blinking. “All right then, Harry,” George said. Harry could count the number of times any Weasley other than Ginny had called him by his first name on one hand.

“Don’t worry,” Harry said for what he thought might have been the tenth or eleventh time. Ginny’ll have a great time with us. I can’t wait until she meets Tonks.”

“Oi, Harry-“

“Is this ‘Tonks’-“

“-the same one that Charlie was going on about?” Fred asked curiously.

“The same,” Harry said, smiling. “Oh, and watch this. Tonks discovered a little…talent of mine.” He closed his eyes, and when he opened them, they were bright yellow. The twins jumped back in surprise.

Wicked!” George exclaimed.

“You’re a Metamorphmagus?” Fred asked curiously.

Harry nodded. “Just tried to do what she described, and just like that, I turned my eyes blue. I’ve been training with her each summer. You two, Ginny, and Hermione are the only ones at school who know.”

“Wow, mate.”

“Yeah, hurry up and finish-“

“-that’s got some major prank potential.”

Harry laughed. “So suddenly I’m your mate because I have an ability other people don’t have. Where was the appreciation for my Parseltongue, and ability I didn’t even know I had.”

Fred and George’s faces darkened a bit. “Harry,” George said, using his first name again, “what did you tell that snake to do to Ickle Ronniekins?” The answer seemed rather important.

“Actually, I told it to back off, then summoned it to me so that I could blast it. I may not like your brother, but that was a black asp, and a bite from that could kill him.”

Fred whistled. “Well, that’s a relief.”

“You’ve got to understand though-“

“-that seeing you talk to snakes-“

“-is just creepy.”

Harry nodded. “I was a bit freaked out by it at first as well. I never knew I could do it, and recognized it the instant I said the words. It’s easy to tell; you understand it as English, but it’s a mental voice, while you can hear the actual hissing. Also, snakes are conditioned to obey ‘speakers’ without question.”

Fred nodded. “Hmmm, that’s an ability that might come in handy-“

“-yes, couldn’t we slip a garden snake up Sir Percival’s trousers-

“-garden snake of course, because they aren’t poisonous-“

“-but he’s been being a royal prat to Ickle Ginnikins-“

“-more or less all of us-“

“-all year,” they finished together.

“That he has,” Harry agreed. “What’s the story on him anyway? What does he want to do with his life?” Ginny had told him that Percy was ticketed for the ministry, but that wasn’t very specific. He didn’t understand the motives of the Prefect Weasley, and that bothered him. He liked to understand why people did things; it made it easier to predict how they’d behave in the future.

“Well, he wants to be a high-ranking Ministry official-“ Fred began.

“-no doubt the Minster himself, someday-“

“-can you ponder the horror-“

“-if Perfect Sir Percival-“

“-ran the wizarding world?”

“I guessing you’d probably flee the country. He’d make pranks a capital offense and insist that we all wear perfectly tailored clothing. He’d throw people into Azkaban for disrespect,” Harry replied jokingly. The twins nodded in sync.

“That sounds about right-“

“-needless to say-“

“-the world would be very boring-“

“-after all, you can’t have fun-“

“-without blowing something up once and a while,” they finished in unison. Harry laughed.

“I think I’ve started to get a handle on how to talk to both of you at once. I still would like to know how you two mentally communicate, thought,” Harry admitted.

The twins smiled deviously. “We don’t, actually, we do something else-“

“-we’re not completely sure what it is-“

“-but it works for our purposes. We’ve researched twin bonds-“

“-but never found anything like it-“

“-all the better for us, we suppose.”

“And all the worse for everyone else,” Harry concluded, smiling. “I’m not committing to helping you with any pranks, especially not on my own housemates. I’m trying to make inroads, not make them hate me.”

“That’s reasonable enough,” Fred admitted.

“Well, goodbye Harry,” George said.

“Yeah, take care of Ickle Ginnikins, and we’ll like you much more. We might even let you in on a little secret,” Fred confided.

George slapped him upside the head. “Oh brother of mine, I don’t believe we agreed upon that.”

Harry chuckled as the two began to argue again, and approached the girls on the other side of the room. “Hello Potter,” Angelina said brightly.

“Johnson,” Harry responded in kind. “What ever you three are doing, it seems to be rather amusing.” Hermione turned red and giggled a bit more. “I won’t ask.”

“Good idea,” Katie Bell said, tucking a lock of brown hair behind her ear absently, “you won’t get anything out of her. This was strictly a girl conversation.”

“And yet so much more intelligent than any of things that Parvati and Lavender ever say,” Hermione added, beaming. Harry rolled his eyes.

“Well, I’m out of here, curfew’s soon. See you tomorrow Hermione,” Harry said as he turned to go.

“Bye Harry!” she called after him.


Severus Snape was not one who would be infected with holiday cheer anytime before the sun expanded and swallowed up the earth. In fact, one might have more luck cheering up the surly, bitter old Squib caretaker Argus Filch, despite the fact that his sole companion, who disturbingly enough happened to be a cat, lay Petrified in the Hospital Wing. Rumor were that he’d visit the animal after hours and cry over her.

Rumors that actually had a chance to be true, if anything Harry thought about the man was accurate.

After the last Transfiguration Class had involved Transfiguring maple branches into mistletoe, something proved to be a bit disastrous when Seamus set his branches on fire (the Irish boy had a tendency to try to force his magic, resulting in all of it being funneled into a small area. He tended to blow things up.

In Charms, when Flitwick had nearly been bouncing off the walls, they’d been given a simple fir tree, and given a list of spells to perform that could make it do anything from dance, to sing, to even create snow if the air was damp enough. Very little work had actually gotten done, but Hermione had apparently managed to make one that did all three, and planned to give it to her parents as proof that she was actually doing something at school.

Potions was another matter entirely. Obviously in a foul mood, Snape had decided that the day before Christmas Break was evidently the perfect time to assign the first antidote the class had ever attempted to brew. This particular one was used to cure snake bites from mild venoms, which normally paralyzed the target rather than killing it. It was immensely complex, and involved over twenty different ingredients, eight different stirs of varying length and direction, and precise timing. Snape fully admitted that he simply wanted a decent effort, and expected few to be able to make the potion. Harry believed he was flicking his eyes between Neville Longbottom, Seamus Finnegan, Dean Thomas, and Ron Weasley as he said this.

Harry and Hermione had determined that they would make an absolutely perfect antidote just to avoid having to deal with his criticism today. Harry made a copy of the ingredients using a Copy Spell he’d picked up from Hermione, and the aforementioned bushy-haired bookworm measured out the ingredients with insane accuracy. Harry kept his eyes on his watch, and Hermione was perfect with her timing.

Weasley melted his cauldron, something that had him moaning (his parents might not be able to afford a new one), while Malfoy created something with the consistency of wet cement. If imbibed, it would probably suffocate the drinker before it had a chance to poison him. For that disaster, he merely got half-credit. Longbottom and Finnegan managed to not blow up their cauldron, but didn’t exactly create a workable antidote either. Moon, working with Tracey Davis, a first year who had apparently been seriously ill the day of the Sorting, and had arrived at school three weeks late, created a perfect potion. He suspected that the Black girl had a chance of being a Potions Mistress. Davis was tall girl with curly brown hair and a permanently sour expression. He hadn’t exchanged a word with her to date, and hadn’t even noticed her presence this year. She hung out mostly with Malfoy and Pansy.

Harry approached Snape’s desk with a sample of their potion, Hermione watching anxiously from their desk. Snape looked up. “Yes, Potter?”

“Our antidote, sir,” Harry replied respectfully. Snape took it from his hands, and pointed his wand at it, whispering an incantation. The potion, which was dark blue, glowed yellow.

Snape actually smiled. “Excellent, Potter. One of the best attempts at this potion I’ve ever seen from a couple of second years. 10 points to Slytherin…and 10 points to Gryffindor,” he said softly, though he said the last only with visible effort. There was a splash as Crabbe dropped an entire vial into his potion, which began billowing black fumes. Snape’s eyes widened. “OUT! ALL OF YOU! NOW!”


Ginny nervously stepped out of the train, and went over to where her trunk was (bearing a bright pink ribbon, as her mother hadn’t seemed to realize she despised the color). She looked up, and saw that Harry was currently in the arms of a tall woman who Ginny judged would have been very attractive, with her athletic body, gorgeous grey-green eyes, and shining honey-blond hair, if not for a pair of terrible scars, one running through her right eye, another running down her neck. But she saw the same caring and smothering love in her eyes as she saw in her own mother’s.

Daphne Dressler cleared loved Harry as her son. And Ginny’s friend thought of the woman as his mother.

She saw Hermione hugging her own parents, then dragging them over to where Harry and Daphne were. She nervously approached, dragging her battered drunk towards them. She was suddenly aware of how poor her patched and frayed robes made her look, especially compared to the neat Muggle dress of the Grangers and the fine robes that Harry and Daphne wore. They weren’t so much aesthetically pleasing as durable and comfortable. She tried to fight her jealously, at least she had a real family, no matter how much some of her brothers could be gits at times. Daphne had apparently lost her parents at only fifteen, then her husband at twenty-one. Harry couldn’t even remember his parents.

She approached the imposing woman anxiously. “Hi, Mrs. Dressler. I’m Ginny.”

“Hello Ginny,” Daphne replied kindly. “I’d really rather you call me Daphne.”

“Okay,” she replied brightly, trying to look up at the much taller woman. It was strange, because she was used to her mum, who was relatively short. Suddenly, there was a blur of motion, and Harry was knocked to the floor by a young woman with short, spiky pink hair and dark, twinkling eyes, wearing a t-shirt and blue jeans. Following her, rolling her blue eyes and sighing, was a tall, stately-looking woman with long black hair and sharp features.

Tonks! Get off me!” Harry cried helplessly. Tonks popped up off the ground, and as soon as Harry had gotten to his feet, seeking to recover his composure, she’d wrapped him in a ridiculously tight hug, saying something incomprehensible, and punctuating each word with a light whack on Harry’s head. When she let go, he glared at her, then sighed.

“Ginny, meet Tonks. She has a first name, but I’d recommend you didn’t use it: Nymphadora. Tonks, meet Ginny.” The pink-haired girl smiled brightly at the redhead.

“Hello down there,” she said, jokingly referring to their height difference. “I’m Harry’s older sister.” As she said this, she closed her eyes, and before Ginny’s eyes, her hair turned black and grew long down her back, and her eyes turned into Harry’s striking green. Ginny remembered that she was a Metamorphmagus.

“No you’re not,” Harry protested. “Potters are sane, remember?” Tonks glared at him, giving him a look saying clearly ‘you’ll pay for that later.’

Ginny had a feeling she just might like this girl.


Reviews 189
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear