Search:

SIYE Time:6:56 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Grey Maiden II: Slytherin's Heir
By Chris Widger

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 189
Summary: After saving the Philosopher's Stone, all that Harry, Hermione, and Daphne want is an uneventful year. But yet another Weasley, a crazed house-elf, and a series of strange occurences destroy any chance of that. But as students begin to be attacked by the mysterious Heir of Slytherin, Harry finds himself one of the primary suspects. But as the attacks mount, and with them, the coincidences, Harry is forced to answer the most difficult question: What if they are right?
Hitcount: Story Total: 99508; Chapter Total: 6014





Author's Notes:
I loved this chapter.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

Chapter 13: Mistress of Mayhem

“Wotcher, Ginny!” Tonks said, appearing the doorway to the guestroom that Ginny was using. Ginny looked up from the book she was reading.

Tonks was currently sporting long blond hair that flowed down her back, and bright blue eyes. She still had the same face; she admitted that she liked the shape of it, and it also made it possible for her mother and others to identify her.

Ginny waved weakly, yawning. “Wotcher Tonks.”

Tonks grinned widely, then jumped onto her bed. “Whatcha doin’?”

“Reading,” Ginny answered simply. “How do you have this much energy this late?” It was eleven o’clock, and Harry had already gone to bed, though Ginny suspected he was still reading.

“Good genes,” she explained, bouncing on the bed. “You can’t be ready to sleep now?”

Ginny yawned, answering her question. “I’ll be out like a rock soon.”

Tonks grinned evilly. “Is there going to be a certain black-haired, green-eyed, lighting-scarred boy occupying your dreams?”

Ginny felt her cheeks burn. “No,” she replied a bit too quickly. Actually, she was lying. She’d had a dream of Harry the previous night. More specifically, a dream that involved Harry kissing her. Her inability to bury this silly crush was driving her crazy...and of course Tonks had to bring it up.

Tonks was wearing a sly smile. “I don’t believe you,” she replied in a sing-song voice. “So, what were you two doing?” she asked suggestively. Ginny knew she was blushing horribly now.

“Tonks! Please stop!” she pleaded. She’d actually grown to like the fun-loving Auror trainee, but she could now see why she drove Harry up the wall at times.

She’d actually walked in on what appeared to be Harry and Tonks in a fairly…compromising situation.

Of course, the only reason that Tonks had been sprawled on top of Harry was to tickle torture him. Once she’d realized what was going on, she’d rooted the girl on, especially when Harry tried to escape and she tackled him. After Harry admitted she was the most beautiful girl in the universe, Tonks let him go, but not before smacking him in the head and kissing him on the cheek, before she walked past the stunned pre-teens, whistling a random tune. Harry had stared after her, a dazed and confused look in his eyes, before he shook his head, muttering something like, “…crazy wench…”

“Why should I?” Tonks asked rhetorically, bringing her back to the present. “It’s so much fun.” She sounded like a kid in a candy store as she bounced on Ginny’s mattress.

“Because I asked you to?” Ginny tried desperately, trying to fight down her blush.

“Did you kiss him in this dream?” Tonks asked instead. Ginny’s cheeks burned for the third time.

She nodded weakly, figuring that Tonks would keep going until she got the answer out of her anyway.

“HA!” she cried triumphantly. “Ginny luuuves Harrrry! Ginny luuuves Harrry-“

“Would you shut it?” a very sleepy looking Harry asked from the doorway. His glasses were slightly askew, and his messy hair was even worse than usual. He was also wearing just a pair of pajamas, and Ginny nearly slapped herself when she looked more closely at him. STOP IT! she screamed at herself.

“No,” Tonks replied stubbornly. “Did you know that Ginny dreams of kissing you, Harry?” Ginny felt like she was going to die of embarrassment.

Harry coughed. Still, despite the slight pink that appeared on his cheeks, Harry did a pretty good job of appearing unfazed. “It hadn’t entered my mind, no,” he replied smoothly. Tonks’ wicked grin faded a bit from the lack of reaction.

“You are way too serious at times, Harry! Why won’t you help me torment her?”

“Why do you have to torment my friend at…10:45 at night?” Harry asked, checking his watch.

“It’s my duty. It’s a kind of initiation.”

More like hazing,” Harry muttered under his breath. Tonks glared at him.

“I heard that!”

“Heard what?” Harry asked innocently.

“You know what!” Tonks yelled, losing her composure.

“I don’t know what, Nymphadora!” Andromeda said, standing in the doorway in a bathrobe. “Except that its late, you shouldn’t be harassing someone half your size and eight years younger than you, and you can do it tomorrow if you really can’t resist!”

Tonks pouted. “Why?”

“Act your age, please,” Harry whined.

“Nymmy, bed,” Andromeda commanded. “I don’t care how old you are; until you have your own flat, you follow my orders, young lady. Bed. Now.”

“Fine, Mum,” Tonks complained, sounding to all the world like a petulant nine-year old. Harry smirked, and she turned around, glared at him, and stuck her tongue out at him. Andromeda rolled her eyes and left the room.

Tonks immediately closed her eyes, and her hair grew long and black, her figure stately and regal, and her eyes blue. Now looking like a slightly shorter version of Andromeda, she proceeded to mock her mother’s scolding, causing Ginny to giggle. Harry smirked at her and closed his own eyes. When he opened them, his hair was bubblegum pink and slightly spiky, his eyes was dark and twinkling, and he was now wearing a lop-sided grin on his face.

He then proceeded to walk forward and intentionally trip over Ginny’s bag. Ginny lost it as she saw the absolutely murderous expression on the older Metamorphmagus’s face. She howled with laughter, rolling around on the bed. Tonks’s glare was replaced with a pouting expression, and she crossed her arms indignantly.

“Last I checked, Harry, I wasn’t a boy,” Tonks huffed.

Harry smirked. “You sure about that?” he replied slyly. Tonks stiffened noticeably.

What did you just say?” she hissed dangerously. Harry’s eyes widened slightly, but he appeared mostly unfazed.

“I asked if you were sure about that,” Harry replied innocently.

I’LL TURN YOU INTO A GIRL!” she yelled, and lunged at Harry, who ducked out of the way and slipped out the door. There was a soft patter of footsteps, and the sound of a door slamming.

Tonks pulled her wand, evidently planning to unlock the door and exact revenge. She stalked towards doorway and ran directly into Daphne, who, at eleven o’clock at night, looked wide awake and alert. “What’s going on in here?”

“I’m going to kill Harry,” Tonks explained. “Do you mind?”

Daphne mock-sighed. “Can you at least give him time to say a few prayers? I promise you can hang him from the ceiling rafters naked if that’s what you wish.” Ginny nearly beat her head into the wall when a very small, disgusting part of her vaguely expressed interest in the last.

“I don’t know about that…I don’t want to embarrass Ginny too much…” Tonks said. Ginny’s cheeks burned again.

Daphne sighed for real this time. “Go to bed, Nymphadora. That’s an order!” she snapped. Tonks suddenly stiffened.

“Yes Grey Maiden Ma’am,” she replied, and walked out the door.

Ginny threw a questioning look at her. “Mild compulsion, appeals to Auror training,” she explained. “I’m referred to there as the Grey Maiden, so that’s why she called me that…I have to wonder how someone like Andy produced a crazy maniac like her…” she yawned, glancing at her watch. “Time to get to bed…good night, Ginny.”

“Good night Daphne…maybe you’d best check on Harry…Tonks might be seeking revenge-“

There was a crash, a yell of pain, and some unladylike cursing.

“…and Harry might have activated the wards on his door,” she replied, sighing. “I suppose I should do just that.”


As it turned out, Tonks hadn’t taken being hurled across the hallway particularly well, and had waited patiently, crouching near the stairs, for Harry to come down for breakfast. When he had, obviously not expecting an ambush, she’d tackled him, forced him to the ground, pulled his hand behind his back, and began to repeatedly beat his head into the carpeted floor. Ginny had been slightly concerned, but the exchange of insults going on between the two Metamorphmagi had kept her in a fit of laughter. Finally, Daphne had come in, and kindly asked Tonks to refrain from abusing her ward.

Later, Ginny had had the opportunity to observe a Metamorphic training session that Tonks was giving Harry. She’d stayed for a while, but the only thing that Harry seemed to be capable of changing at the present moment had been his hair and eye color, and that was still inconsistent. Tonks refused to teach

Harry how to make any other physical alterations until he had the basics down; a half-completed transformation could leave his nose sticking out of his forehead and mean a trip to St. Mungo’s.

“…excellent!” Tonks cried as Harry shifted his eye color from green to orange, which gave him a rather curious look.

“What happened?” Harry asked. He obviously couldn’t see his own face. Tonks frowned, then got up and began hurriedly rummaging through her bag.

“Tonks?” Harry asked.

“Just a second, Harry…there we go,” she said, as she pulled a small mirror from her bag.

“Are my looks that awful?” Harry asked deadpan, raising his eyebrows.

Tonks glared at him. “You’d make a hag cry with joy…now take the bloody thing!”

Harry snatched it from her. “Hmmm…that wasn’t what I wanted,” he said, gazing at his orange pupils.

Tonks frowned. “What were you aiming for?”

“Purple,” Harry replied. “The same purple you’ve been using. It’s easier to concentrate when you’ve got it in front of you.” Tonks eyes lit up.

“What?”

“Nothing,” Tonks replied, “you’ll have to make due.”

“Alright then,” Harry shrugged. Ginny was finding this a little less interesting.

“I’ll see you guys later,” she said as she got up to leave.

“Bored already?” Tonks asked. “Oh well, see you at dinner, Ginny.”

Harry waved goodbye to her with his eyes closed.

She began wandering through the hallways, looking for something to do. Dressler Manor was quite a change from what she was used to. From the huge library in which they might never find Hermione again, to the classic wizarding portraits, to the finely polished oak floor and carved ceilings, to the antique furniture, this was an entirely different environment than the Burrow. It was like Hogwarts, only with the same home atmosphere of the Burrow.

She fought down her jealously as she passed a portrait of Edmond’s grandfather, Nicholas Dressler. Remember why they live her, Ginny. Harry lives her because his parents are dead, Daphne lives here because he husband is dead. Remember how she told you that they had wanted to live in nice, average-sized home and start a family? Well, she never got the chance to do that. You have no right to be jealous, especially because you’ve got the big family that both of them have always wanted…

She heard muffled banging sounds that sounded like explosions coming from the right side of the house. Curious, she walked towards the origin and pushed open the door, revealing what appeared to be a type of gymnasium that had been equipped with a target range, gymnast pads, and had walls lined with diagrams of fighting stances and tactics.

She looked closer, and saw someone twirling around; firing perfectly-target spells at moving targets that appeared to be shooting Stinging Hexes back at her. It was Daphne. She was clad in only a bodysuit, and her eyes were hard with determination and focus.

Ginny watched in awe as the graceful woman spun in wide arcs, precisely targeting and hitting certain targets with Blasting Hexes. She didn’t appear to even be speaking, and Ginny figured she must have learned the art of non-verbal spell casting.

“…Cease…” she commanded, and the targets stopped. She took a deep breath, and turned around. “Hello Ginny,” she said calmly. She summoned a towel over to her and began wiping down her sweat-soaked body. A body that Ginny realized many women would kill to have.

“Hi Daphne,” she began shyly, uncertain if it had been the best idea to intrude upon her training session. “I’m s-s-sorry if I interrupted…”

Daphne waved it off. “Don’t worry,” she said, taking a few deep breaths. “I was just finishing anyway. You should feel honored,” she replied with not a little amusement. “Very few get to see a private training session of the Grey Maiden. Even fewer get to see this much of me,” she said with a smirk, indicating her body.”

Ginny stuttered, “I…”

“Don’t worry about it, I was just joking around with you,” she said, putting on a robe. She walked over to her. “So what are Harry and Tonks up to?”

“Um…they’re working on their Metamorphmagus stuff,” she answered. It was rather strange seeing this woman like this. Ginny was probably just being naïve, she knew about Daphne’s past. Still, practicing like her life was on the line, ten years after the fall of You-Know-Who? It certainly wouldn’t fit her own mother. Then again, her own mother wasn’t exactly the warrior Daphne was, though she had no doubt she’d fight just as hard to defend her children. In that, her Mum and Daphne were completely alike.

Daphne shook her head. “I’ve predicted a lot of things when it comes to Harry, but his being a Metamorphmagus was certainly not one of them. Still, Harry and Tonks seems to have a connection because of it, and as playful as she can be, she’s a great young woman and a good influence…and I think her antics are just what we both need at times.” Ginny was inclined to agree; she never saw Harry as relaxed as he was when Tonks was with him.

“I think she’s good for him. I like her a lot too,” Ginny admitted.

Daphne smiled. “If there’s one thing Harry’s done well, it’s been choosing his friends.” Ginny blushed at the inherent praise.

“Harry’s always been like that,” she continued. “He hasn’t made many friends, but when he has, they’ve been both close and loyal. He’s also usually on at least neutral terms with everyone…but I suppose it was easier when he was just James Dressler and not the Boy-Who-Lived…”

Ginny frowned. “Why did you change his name? Surely you could keep the press away.”

Daphne laughed. “That’s harder than it seems. I’ve got good information that at least one of the Prophet reporters is an illegal animagus, but that wasn’t the reason. Dumbledore…he wanted to give Harry to his only remaining blood relative…terrible woman, and her husband is worse. I couldn’t let that happen.”

“I don’t understand,” Ginny said. “If she was so awful, why would he want to send Harry there?”

Daphne sighed; something old and weary clouded her eyes. “Dumbledore is a great wizard, one of the best in history. But he’s got one major flaw, and that is that he’s too trusting. He believes in giving everyone more than one chance…but that’s beside the point. Do you know how Harry survived that Halloween?”

Ginny nodded. “His mother sacrificed herself for him,” she said quietly. Daphne nodded shortly, but Ginny could see the pain in her eyes. She took a deep breath.

“Yes, but that isn’t all. Lily loved Harry, as only a mother could love her son. She was also a superbly talented Charms witch, far beyond me in some areas. She managed to perform so-called Old Magic, both non-verbally and without arousing the suspicions of Voldemort.” Ginny jumped, but Daphne ignored it; she was staring off into space now. Ginny tried to meet her eyes, but she avoided her gaze, almost involuntarily. Wait, what was it that Harry said about Daphne not looking him in the eyes when she was talking about his mum? But I don’t have green eyes…the hair! I guess my hair looks like Lily’s…

“Yes,” Daphne said, answering the unspoken question.

Ginny frowned. “I didn’t say that aloud.”

“I know you didn’t, but you were broadcasting it all over the place, and my senses are heightened from the training. It’s also how I knew you were here. I can sense Magical Auras; it’s a family talent. It’s very useful for dueling; I tell when someone is sneaking up behind me.”

Ginny nodded, that made sense. “I’m sorry,” she said shyly. “…maybe I should leave…”

No! Stay. I mean…if you want to of course…” Daphne said trailing off. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Ginny said. It certainly felt strange to be a source of comfort for a woman over twenty years old than her. But she was finding out a lot of things she didn’t know, and it seemed to be helping Daphne.

“I’m sorry, I really am. It’s just so strange…Hermione reminds me the most of Lily, at least in terms of her personality. But you…I don’t know, I just could have sworn I was talking to her…Merlin, I shouldn’t be doing this…these are my problems, not yours,” she said as calmly as she could manage.

“It’s okay, it really is. I’m sure you miss her…”

“I do. Merlin I do. I’m just glad that I have Harry…and that Harry has me…”

Ginny was, to put it bluntly, utterly shocked that Daphne had still managed to hold on to her composure. Mum would have broken down ten minutes ago…

“She probably would have…Damn! I shouldn’t do that. I need to take a nap or something, it’s like you are saying what you are thinking in my ear.”

Ginny frowned. “Would you like me to get Harry?”

Daphne shook her head. “I’ll be fine. Really, I will. I’ve dealt with it this long…why don’t you go see what they’re up to?”

“Okay,” Ginny said, turning to go.

“Thank you,” Daphne said, a true smile breaking through her tearing eyes. “Thank you Ginny.”

“No problem,” Ginny replied weakly, before she left the room. She could have sworn she heard a loud sob the moment that she exited.

I’ve dealt with it this long…”

You shouldn’t have had to.


As Ginny pushed the door open to where Harry and Tonks were practicing, she was greeted by a rather strange sight.

Indeed, her first impression as she entered the room was that somehow, her brother Ron had ended up at Dressler Manor (and wasn't red-faced and screaming). For standing next to Tonks, complete with red hair, freckles, and blue eyes, was…

Harry?”

Tonks burst out laughing, while Harry smirked. “Now, if only your brother had my brains…”

Ginny giggled. “I can’t believe it! You look just like him! How did you get the freckles?”

Harry closed his eyes, and with a small ‘pop’ of magic, his hair was black and unruly, his eyes emerald green, and his face unblemished. He shrugged to answer her earlier question. “Just focused, I suppose.”

“I’d say so,” Tonks said, almost in awe of his accomplishment. She suddenly pulled him into a hug, despite his protests. Then, being Tonks, she proceeded to pull him into headlock and mash her fist against his head, bouncing his entire body up and down in the process. I wonder if she was this rough on Charlie, Ginny thought bemusedly. Bill and Charlie were always wrestling as kids, but Tonks had a definite size advantage on the much smaller boy.

“Tonks, stop it,” Ginny found herself protesting on her friend’s behalf. “He’s got no chance against you, and you’ve bruised him enough for one day.”

“Oh alright,” she said reluctantly, and released her hold on him. Harry got to his feet, brushing off his robes, and glaring at the girl that fancied herself as his older sister.

“Thanks Ginny,” he muttered under his breath.

Tonks suddenly looked thoughtful, before grinning evilly. “So, Harry,” she began in a voice that could only lead to a rather embarrassing question for all parties. Harry closed his eyes. “Does Hermione know that you’re cheating on her? After all, bringing a girl to your house is kind of a tip off, is it not?”

A bright blush appeared on Harry’s eyes, though it was drowned out by the exasperated expression on Harry’s face. “Tonks…” he groaned.

“Does she?” Tonks persisted. Ginny’s cheeks were the color of her hair now.

“Yes, Tonks,” Harry replied exasperatedly. “Hermione knows everything.” Harry gave Ginny a sympathetic look.

TONKS!” Ginny cried.


“…Harry…”

“…Harry… Harry…Tonks is trying to break the door down…”

HARRY!”

H arry jerked awake and sat up in a flash, so fast that his forehead connected with Ginny’s temple, sending both of them reeling backwards, howling. There was a crash as Tonks finally got through the doors.

“WAKE UP YOU SLEEPYHEAD! IT’S CHRISTMAS!” Tonks bellowed loud enough to wake the dead.

Harry started again, then rubbed the sleep from his eyes pulled his feet onto the floor.

“Tonks, seriously. Can you act your age just once...and don’t hex me!” Harry yelled, pulling his wand out of his wrist holster.

Tonks crossed her arms. She was sporting short red hair and green eyes in the Christmas spirit. Harry loved his Metamorphic abilities, but unlike Tonks, he actually had shame. He wasn’t going to vocalize that, of course. “I’m coming you crazy wench.”

“You couldn’t stop me anyway, Harry,” she replied in a sing-song voice. “You aren’t allowed to use magic during the holidays. I’m just letting you off.”

Harry rolled his eyes. “As if the Ministry could detect my magic through the wards?”

“Damn you and your education,” Tonks mumbled. “Come on!” She grabbed Harry by the shirt sleeve and began pulling him out of the room. He fought her off and headed downstairs.

“I take it that you got me something?” Harry asked as they descended. Ginny was hanging back, and had ducked her head. Obviously, she hadn’t gotten anything. “Hang on a second, Tonks.”

“Oh fine, but you…oh,” she said as she saw him approach Ginny.

“Ginny?”

“I’m sorry, Harry. I just didn’t have any money and didn’t have time to make something and didn’t think and…”

“Ginny?”

“Yes?”

“Shut up. Please. Just you being here is enough of a gift,” Harry said honestly. “You’ve had fun, haven’t you?”

“More fun than I would have had at Hogwarts,” she admitted with a smile. “It’s been great!”

Harry smiled at her enthusiasm, and hoped he’d cheered her up. “Hermione’s coming tomorrow, she’ll stay with us for the rest of vacation. It’s a female invasion I tell you!” he cried.

Ginny giggled. “We will have numbers on you. Still, I don’t think that any of us are exactly the kind of girls that you can’t stand.”

“I’ll second that,” Harry replied with a grin. “Come on, let’s see what Tonks is trying to drag me down the stairs for.”

When they got downstairs, Tonks had already sorted her gifts into a pile. Andromeda and Daphne were sitting in armchairs around a roaring fire. “Finally!” Tonks cried exasperatedly. Andromeda buried her head in her hands.

Harry immediately attacked his gifts, giving in to sheer curiosity. The first he opened was a lumpy package. He cleared away the paper, and revealed a dark green sweater with a blue ‘H.’ He stared curiously at it, then checked the note.

To Harry

Thank you for taking care of my daughter,

Love,

< i>Molly Weasley

He stared for a moment, blinking. I barely know the woman...

“Mum made you a Weasley sweater?” Ginny asked in disbelief. She was currently half-way into putting on her own sweater, which was green with a pink ‘G.’

“I guess she did,” Harry said distantly. He wasn’t sure why she had, but he certainly appreciated the gesture. “Can you remember to thank her next time you see her?”

Ginny nodded. “What have you got there, Harry?” Tonks asked. Daphne also peered over, and a smile lit her features. She probably had had something to do with it.

“Awesome. Now open my gift, you stupid lout!”

“Alright, alright...crazy wench,” Harry mumbled. He yanked out a package wrapped in, of all things, hideous purple wrapping paper with pink stripes. “Nice wrapping paper, Tonks.”

“Stop complaining and open it!” she yelled at him.

He did so, revealing…a mirror. “Tonks, I thought we had this conversation. My appearance isn’t that bad!”

Tonks groaned. “It’s a little more than that. Think of something you’d like to change into. Harry imagined Tonks’ pink hair, and suddenly his reflection had it. But his hair hadn’t actually changed. A slow grin made its way onto his face.

“This is bloody brilliant, Tonks,” Harry said.

“Thought you’d like it!” Tonks cried. “I want to hear that you are practicing everyday, y’hear!”

“Open yours,” Harry implored her. Tonks needed no encouraging, and ripped it open. Harry and Daphne both grinned at her gasp of surprise. “An Aurorwrist holster!...and what’s this…My favorite big sister — Harry…oh you…!”

Tonks, tears in her eyes, dove for him, but he scooted out of the way. Tonks’ methods of showing affection tended to be a bit…rough.

“C’mon Harry, show your big sis some love, would you?” Tonks’s voice had a strange tenor in it, and Harry was shocked to see that she was on the verge of crying. I guess that really meant a lot to her…

Harry ran over and ran into her arms. She hugged him tightly…then proceeded to put him in a headlock and shove him to the ground. Introduced to the floor for the fourth time in two days, Harry sighed as Tonks began lightly banging his head on the floor, whispering words of thanks.

“Tonks, I’ll accept all of your thanks if you give me the use of my body back!”

Tonks let him go, hugged him, and ran off, leaving Harry extremely confused. Andromeda was beaming. Harry shook his head. He understood that Tonks was lonely, but still, this seemed a bit…extreme.

“Harry you stupid git!” Ginny yelled. At his clueless look she groaned.“Ugh. Boys.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Harry demanded. “And you haven’t opened my present yet.”

“Present? What pre…oh…” She ripped it open, and frowned in confusion. “What..?”

“The wizarding edition of the Chronicles of Narnia,” Harry explained. “It was written by a squib, and released mostly to Muggles. There are all kinds of footnotes in there explaining how accurate what he wrote was and also explaining about various animals and such.”

“You’ll love it, Ginny,” Daphne assured her. “Harry loved those books as a child.” Ginny nodded, frowning.

“Why..?”

“Because you’ve probably never touched Muggle literature, which this is to a large degree. I couldn’t think of anything else to get you. There's a whole series if you like it. They’re great, trust me.”

“Okay,” Ginny said, her face breaking into a wide smile. “Thank you,” she said, racing forward and giving Harry a small hug, which he returned warmly. For the first time, she didn’t feel her cheeks warm as she pulled away.

“You’ve got three more to open, Harry,” Daphne said, indicating the parcels on the floor. He ripped open Hermione’s to reveal A Comprehensive Biography of Salazar Slytherin. Daphne nodded appreciatively.

“Good choice, I’ve read it myself; excellent reference. I assume that’s about the Parseltongue?” Harry nodded. On Snape’s advice, he’d owled her about his newfound talent.

Harry set Hermione’s gift aside and opened one wrapped in brown paper. It revealed a large plate of all kinds of baked goods…from Hagrid. Harry grimaced. “Daphne, do you know any spells that will make rock cakes edible?”

“Sorry?...oh, Hagrid. Well, I could try simple warming charms, that might work,” she suggested, taking the plate from him and setting it aside. She gazed intently at his last gift, a small box wrapped in blue. Harry opened it, and flipped open the lid of the gift box. Daphne heard an intake of breath.

“Have you noticed the ring I’ve been wearing lately, Harry? On my left hand?” Harry nodded, he’d been used to Daphne only wearing her wedding ring. The new ring was gold, but with a kind of blue sheen around it, and was engraved with the image of a falcon carrying a snake.

“That’s the other one,” she explained. “As mates, they’ll both of us to sense when the other is in danger. The ring will burn. They’ll also give both of us the sense of a presence in our subconscious, though we won’t be able to actually communicate. It’s an O’Connor family heirloom, one of the only ones left,” she explained. Harry instantly saw the benefits of such a piece of jewelry. While Harry couldn’t Apparate, Daphne could, and would be able to come to his aid in minutes.

“Thanks,” Harry said, running up and giving his surrogate mother a hug. Daphne pulled him into her arms, squeezing him tightly, but gently, as if she never wanted to let go.

“You’re welcome Harry,” she said, a few tears glistening in her eyes. “I just wish…”

“I know,” Harry said quietly. “You couldn’t have done anything,” he told her. “You would have died, and I’d be living with my aunt. We’d both be worse off.”

She nodded at his logic, and smiled. “That’s my Harry,” she said proudly.

Ginny watched the scene between mother and child and felt tears run down her cheeks. She glanced over, and saw that even the normally unflappable Andromeda looked on the verge of breaking down. Ginny silently turned around, and she and Andromeda vacated the room.


Hermione!” Ginny squealed happily, as her bushy-haired best friend stepped over the threshold into the entrance hall of Dressler Manor. Harry was leaning casually against the banister of the main staircase, beaming widely, Tonks standing behind him, a devious look on her face as she planned a way to embarrass her ‘ickle brother.’

“How have you all been?” Hermione asked, giving Ginny a hug. The Grangers stepped through, followed by Daphne, who had obviously let them through the wards. They stepped to the side and began talking. It looked like Daphne was assuring them that everything would be perfect for their daughter’s stay.

“Harry!” she cried, rushing up to him and giving him a tight hug, which he returned. Tonks snickered evilly in the background.

As Hermione turned to the girl, her beaming smile suddenly became a bit…devious, a rather strange look on the Muggleborn bookworm. “Hello Tonks,” she said brightly.

“Wotcher Hermione,” Tonks replied. “Don’t worry, I’ve kept these two in line…Harry’s got the bruises to prove it.”

“I hope you weren’t too hard on him,” Hermione said, placing her hand on her hips.

“OI!” Harry protested. “Are you saying you condone the physical and verbal abuse I’ve had to endure in a week with this terror?”

Tonks’ eyes narrowed. “You’ll pay for that,” she whispered dangerously.

“You do realize that if you make me ‘pay for that’ that you are just proving me right?” Harry asked her. “You can’t deny that you are a bloody terror at times!”

Tonks looked thoughtful, then put on a grin. “But you still love me, right?”

“Of course…” she said, yanking him into an oxygen-depriving embrace. “…Ickle Harrikins!”

Harry spluttered. “Damn you woman!” he cried. Tonks crossed her arms and smirked.

“All right, that’s enough. Harry doesn’t have a chance against you,” Daphne said.

“You’ll be alright, sweetheart?” Jane Granger asked.

“I’ll be fine Mum!” Hermione cried down to her.

“Take care of yourself, Hermione,” her father added. They left after conversing briefly with Daphne.

“So, do you want me to show me to my room?” Hermione asked. Tonks levitated her things, while Harry showed her to the room they’d had the House-Elves clean out recently.

The next week passed rather uneventfully. Ginny sent a note to her family, both at the Burrow and at Hogwarts, expressing how much she missed them, that she was having a great time, and also thanking her mother for the two sweaters. Harry personally had been very touched by the gesture. He barely knew the woman, and she’d put a lot of time it making her a very nice and warm sweater. He liked the choice of color too. Green for Slytherin, blue for his Ravenclaw guardian. Or perhaps Molly Weasley simply thought the colors mixed well.

Either way, he hoped to get a chance to thank her personally at some point.

Hermione had, predictably, buried herself in the Dressler Family Library. The referencing system, along with the number of controversial (such as goblin and house-elf rights) and Restricted titles, gave her access to much more information than she could have accessed at Hogwarts. The latter, she used simply to look up spells that while considered unfit for use by 2nd Years, but were perfectly legal, and useful. Overall, the school was very conservative when it came to restricting library books.

Daphne said that she would go through the library, and create a list of spells she wanted to begin working with Harry on, but in the meantime, he should perfect what he already knew. She said it provide a much needed reference, especially when it came to higher levels of Shielding Spells.

Ginny and Tonks spent a lot of time together, mostly talking about pranks and pranking methods (Tonks had been able to experience the first two of years of Fred and George Weasley’s Reign of Terror). Harry had been spending so more time with his first friend, mostly helping her out with her research.

“So what exactly are you looking for here?” Harry asked for the umpteenth time.

“I’ve told you already!” she cried. “I’m trying to find records of legislation that had Bound creatures to servitude of wizards!”

Harry sighed. “You aren’t going to find anything. Like I said, the Dark Ages was limited to wizards. Most of the records from the Classical Era were lost. Even at the time they were written, because there was no magical government, they were more or less agreements between the leaders of certain parts of Europe. There is evidence suggesting a wide scale leadership meeting at about 200 AD, but nothing remains from that time. Even magic couldn’t turn back the Barbarians that sacked Rome. Especially because most wizards had little or no training outside of apprenticeships.”

Hermione blinked. “How do you remember all of that?”

“How do you sound like you swallowed a textbook?” Harry countered. “Long hours of study; Daphne wouldn’t let me begin to learn spells, but I wanted to learn something about the magical world. She didn’t spoil me, but she told me anything she could and wouldn’t hesitate to get me reading materials. That said, I still find Binns’s classes horrifically boring.”

“I suppose that makes sense…and I agree about Binns, by the way,” she said. “I just can’t believe that there is nothing! Maybe at Flourish and Blotts...”

“No chance,” Harry said, cutting off her question. “Most of the books on the subject aren’t sold at public venues. Pretty much anything that paints magical creatures as anything other than beneath wizards, and bound to serve them, is considered controversial. That book on Goblins I found? That’s a very rare exception.”

“It’s just so…so stupid!” she cried.

Harry nodded. “It is, but we’re kids. What are we to do about it?”


Reviews 189
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear