Search:

SIYE Time:11:43 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Firefly
By pankie001

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 4
Summary: Fire started to spark over the two beings who, of all people, deserved to be together. An HBP missing moment. Harry's POV.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4909





Author's Notes:
I, for once, did not own Harry Potter and his universe because I'm not the great JK Rowling. But she inspired me the most to try and write some HBP missing moments that are churning in my head which are left to tell. This is not my first attempt to create but maybe I'll begin with a light story to submit. Hope you'll appreciate my effort and you'll have a better time same as mine. Thanks!




ChapterPrinter


I couldn't be more ecstatic upon hearing an incredibly good news despite of those horrible happenings around me, I was made the new Gryffindor Quidditch Captain! I have always dreamed of becoming one but never to be like Oliver Wood or Angelina Johnson. I have nothing against them, after all, both were in the position when we won the Cup on my 3rd and 5th year. I cannot blame them for driving the whole team mad, it's for the victory. But maybe I will try my hardest not to become as much insane as them.

As soon as I read my Hogwarts letter, a day after my birthday, I would like in an instant to go out and fly. So I persuaded Ron, Hermione and Ginny to be with me. But, what do you expect on Hermione who was a self-proclaimed flying-hater? She gave up one morning and Ron is still convincing her for just another little game. And that leaves me with who else, but Ginny. She's good. In fact, she's really good, in the true sense of that word. For a girl, she really is a talent. This girl never fails to surprise me everyday of our encounter.

Everything is perfect. The sun is shining bright but not too hot, not too windy. An ideal day for a game with an ideal playmate. I just hate to admit it in my year 5 that Ginny has the Weasley genes in Quidditch. Charlie, the twins, Ron, and now, the only Weasley girl's turn to prove to the world that she's no ordinary.

"So, Captain, are you sure it's all right for you to play with the little old me?" Ginny approached me grinning from ear to ear, as she came out from the broomstick cupboard in their yard, carrying her own broom.

"Come on, Ginny, don't be ridiculous! You happened to be the seeker in the previous year we won the Cup, and fortunately, you made Cho Chang ate dust! How can I refuse to play with you? It's my great pleasure, actually." I teased her just the same. "And don't call me Captain. It gives me the creeps!"

"If that's what you want, Captain. Let's go!" She kicked off from the ground straining herself not to laugh.

"Ginny!"



Hours passed by in a jiffy when you're having fun, and before we knew it, it's almost lunch. I wonder what happened to Ron and Hermione?

We tried to count how many games have we played but we are lost in number. In the nth time, we decided to take a rest because in any minute, Ginny's mum is due to call us to eat. We wanted to freshen up a bit and maybe play another game afterwards.

"Wow, that is amazing! I mean, I know you're very good, but I didn't expect you'll be this exceptionally excellent!" I said as my feet touched the ground, beaming at her.

"Coming from the greatest seeker in a century, that is really something, Harry," Ginny said in a stiff cold voice, examining the handle of her broom.

"I'm serious, Ginny. You have this Quidditch prowess any captain would want in his team. I just didn't notice how much you've improved with Ron and Hermione around who needs much attention with their bickering."

"Well, thank you, anyway. This really means a lot to me," she said, chucked her broom lousily aside then sit on the grass. She patted the earth beside her, gesturing me to take the space.

Without any second thoughts, I slumped down too, cross-legged, holding my firebolt still. "I've known you for many years now, but I didn't have any inclination that you loved playing Quidditch until last year."

"Don't worry, nobody really knows," Ginny said in a lopsided smile.

"Even your dad? I thought you're a Daddy's little girl," I teased.

"Believe me, Harry, even my Dad doesn't know. I just felt this is my only solitude. My very own secret to keep. Considering the fact that Mum will freak out if she finds out. Her only girl desired the things her sons desired too." She's staring at the birds humming and hovering above us, eyes glistening of life. "And of course, growing up with 6 older git brothers who insisted me not to join in any of their games, is not that simple to endure. When I got so hurt after being turned down a million times and made fun with, I told to myself, mark my word, I will do everything I can to prove that I'll become better than you all. The reason why I spent my remaining days of being left behind when they were at Hogwarts or even they were here but not looking in particular, honing what I learned by watching them play while I was helping Mum with house chores or confined with my dolls. Then I met Hermione whom I trusted so much, the only person who learned about my tiny secret. The one who encouraged me to try out when Angelina announced she was looking for another seeker. Dad and Mum were thrilled to my surprise and immediately bought me my own broomstick and the rest happened too fast. Finally, I'm a Quidditch player already!"

I don't know why I didn't notice how interesting Ginny is. Right at that moment, I felt, I knew, I can talk with her forever. Never will I get bored and lost with something to talk about when I'm with her.

"Are you happy?" I have no idea what made me ask her this question.

"Happy. Such a vague word, profound, understatement. I honestly don't know if I am. If it means, having a family and friends who loved you dearly, a boyfriend you adored you, and a potential to be a full pledge Quidditch Chaser next school year because the Gryffindor Captain recently praised my skills, then perhaps I am. But most of the time, I'm feeling there is something missing in my life. I'm just not sure what it might be." Ginny's beautiful brown eyes are on me now. I don't know what is it in those eyes that's making me shiver within my nerves.

"In time, you'll find out the missing piece of puzzle in your life." I smiled with sympathy like I have a new friend who can touch every part of my soul.

She returned the smile, and for the first time, the sorrow that caused me by Sirius' untimely departure had been dissolved. What is it about Ginny that can maneuver my emotions? Flashes of memories came back to me. When I'm quite disappointed for not becoming a prefect, the time I was banished on the team, about being possessed by Voldemort, the talk I'm dying to have with Sirius about my parents. She's always there to put me in the right place. Ginny Weasley will forever be a mystery to me that I didn't mind to uncover.

Ginny removed her ponytail and brushed her hair with her fingers swiftly but gently, eyes closed. What a glorious hair she has! Especially when we are on air. She's like a firefly in the midst of the night, emitting the light in the darkest part. Staring at her is soothing. Her hair, her eyes, just a look, gave me the strength to carry on.

She checked on her wrist watch and said, "It's about time, we better go inside, I'm starving!" She stood up hastily with her broom clinging on her arm. I immediately followed but... she lost balance that caught me off-guard. In an instinct, I threw my broom aside to catch her on the waist.

We gazed at each other similar to be under in a trance. The blush crept on her face and I felt mine colored too. Then a hushed wind blew accompanied by the trees singing. In a blink, a flowery scent made me feel light and lost. I've been staying here at the Burrow since I was 12, but this certain flower is unfamiliarly new on my nose. Then, Mrs. Weasley's voice cut the slow motion that took place between us.

"I'm sorry," she said smiling, but still with a blush. The blush I haven't seen in a while. I must admit, I missed that.

"You should be more than careful next time. You can be hurt badly." I slowly released my hold that electrified the bits of my senses. I still don't know why.

"As you wish, Captain!" Ginny's teasing is back to her normal self.

"Ginny!"

"Race you!" She ran as fast as she could with me trying to catch up.



Change is the only permanent thing in this world. Just moments ago, Ginny is only Ron's shy little sister, but now, she's already my friend I'm trying to catch up with. There is no doubt that she's making me feel what other people can't. She's different, she's unconventional, and I wouldn't have much chance to meet many Ginny in this lifetime until the next. Ginny is my firefly, and one thing is for sure, she will always be.
Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear