Search:

SIYE Time:7:59 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Add Sugar Not Salt
By LadyGinny

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:All
Genres: Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 9
Summary: Ginny and her daughter Rosalie try to cook Harry a birthday dinner; expecting the dishes to turn out just right. Well, Harry wasn't expectiong a four-year old to cook the cake, either.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4710



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Well, I do hope you enjoy this story. If you don't, bear in mind it was written at one in the morning. But I thought it was cute, so I hope you do too!




ChapterPrinter


The summer heat wafted through the open windows as Ginny Potter and her little daughter Rosalie stood at the stove cooking. Giggles would emit from the little girl’s mouth as her mother told her jokes and though in truth they were quite lame, to her four-year old mind they were quite funny.

“Why are we cooking again, Mum?” Rosalie asked curiously. “You never cook if you can help it,” She said, once again proving she was wise beyond her years. Ginny grinned wryly at her daughters comment.

“Because Rose, it’s Daddy’s birthday today, and we’re cooking him a special dinner,” Ginny told her, remembering how her daughter had burst into the room that morning, jumping on Harry and Ginny and exclaiming that they really needed to get up because it was Harry’s birthday. The grin on Harry’s face as his wife and daughter kissed him said enough.

Now, though, Ginny had enlisted the help of her daughter to make a special birthday meal for Harry, and Ginny was skeptical as to how it would turn out. Normally when Ginny cooked it involved either an explosion, poisoning someone or the food being too rubbery or squishy. Either way she was no good in the kitchen, and even Rose was a better cook at four. But today was her husband’s special day, and she was not going to spoil his dinner by poisoning him.

So far they had made chicken stew, which they had tasted and had turned out pretty well, no major mishaps. Now they were working on a cake, melting the chocolate chips over the stove and stirring in the needed extras to make the icing while the cake baked.

Rosalie tried to stick her finger in the sugary confection but Ginny swatted her hand away with a smile. Rose reminded her so much herself when she was that age, always trying to sneak tastes, getting into mischief and yet pulling on an innocent façade. Yes, she knew only too well.

“Rosalie Christina Potter! What have I told you about sneaking tastes?” Ginny demanded, trying to hide her smile. Rose had the grace to look shameful.

“Sorry Mum, it’s just that- well it looks so good,” Rose said innocently, batting her eyelashes at Ginny. No, she wasn’t going to fall for the puppy dog look this time.

“Now Rose, does that look work with me?” Ginny asked.

“No,” Rose admitted, “but it works on Daddy,” She said. Ginny laughed. She knew right from the start that their little daughter had him wrapped around her finger. Ginny was normally the disciplinary one, even though she hated to be, simply because Harry melted at their daughter looks and pleas. Regardless, Ginny couldn’t be mad at him, he was a wonderful father, and she had known he would be.

“Well speaking of Daddy, he’ll be home soon so let’s finish up this icing, huh?” Ginny said lifting up the petite Rose so she could stir the contents of the pot. Ginny was grateful for this time with her daughter, although it was unfortunate that Harry had to work on his own birthday. But she was determined to make the evening they had together special. First they would have dinner and desert and then Grandma Molly would take little Rosalie over to her house while Harry and Ginny spent time engaging in…other activities. But little Rose was oblivious to Harry and Ginny’s further plans, and that was how Ginny liked it. She was much too young.

Turning the heat off the stove Ginny set Rose down so she could check on the cake. It was done, and looked delicious, so Ginny only hoped it tasted alright. She and Rose spread the decadent icing on, then admired their handiwork.

“We did it, Mummy!” Rose exclaimed, hugging her mother round the neck. Ginny laughed and hugged her daughter. Apparently Rose was quite used to being disappointed with her mother’s cooking.

“Yes we did, baby, now go get cleaned up before Daddy comes home,” She said releasing her daughter to go freshen up. Ginny was right behind her. Her shorts were caked with flour and broth, and her shirt had smudges of brown chocolate icing. Upstairs she pulled on a brightly patterned skirt and a simple shirt and ran a brush through her hair. Good as new.

Meeting her daughter in the kitchen they set the table and lay out the stew, anxiously awaiting Harry’s return from work. Finally, as they were pouring the pumpkin juice, the front door opened and Harry’s deep voice called out,

“I’m home! Now, where are those girls of mine?” The sound caused Rose to run to the door with excitement, knocking over a glass of pumpkin juice in the process. Ginny rolled her eyes and mopped up the mess quickly, turning around she noticed with surprise she was staring into the green eyes of her husband. He grinned as his arms slipped around her waist; and hers around his neck.

“Happy birthday,” She breathed into his ear before meeting his lips in a passionate kiss. She molded to his form, opening her mouth under his, feeling her sensations go wild as he made her feel so good. Finally Ginny faintly heard the scampering of feet followed by her daughter’s voice saying,

“GROSS! Mummy! Daddy!” She wailed dramatically, slapping her hand over her eyes. Harry broke away with a chuckle.

“Alright, alright, now what smells so good?” He asked, keeping one arm around her waist and holding Rose on his hip with the other.

“Chicken stew,” Rose said matter-of-factly. “Mum and I made it all by ourselves. A cake too!” She exclaimed proudly. Ginny laughed.

“Yes we did, pumpkin, and I am starving and I’m sure Daddy is too,” Ginny said with a bright smile at her husband. He grinned in response.

“Yes I am! So, let’s eat,” He said, and the three of them dished out large portions and sat down. Harry took the first bite. He had a surprised look on his face.

“This is actually good!” He said with surprise. Ginny mock glared at him and he chuckled.

They ate their dinner with lots of chatter, mostly from Rose. She went on and on about their day, about preparing the food and reading books and all the other stuff that had interested her. Harry and Ginny exchanged quite a few amused glanced throughout.

Finally it was time for dessert and Ginny lit the candles on the warm cake, sliding it in front of Harry as she and Rose sang ‘Happy Birthday’. At the end, Harry took an enormous breath and blew, sending the flames flickering out on the candles. Rose clapped enthusiastically. Ginny cut them each a piece and again Harry took the first bite. This time, however, to Ginny and Rose’s horror, he swallowed painfully and pulled a disgusted face.

“Ginny…you did add sugar, didn’t you?” He asked wryly, taking large gulps of his pumpkin juice. Ginny frowned.

“I put Rose in charge of that, she said she did…” And she took a bite herself. Spitting it out, she said,

“Rose, honey, where’s the ‘sugar’ you put in the cake?” She asked apprehensively. Rose pointed to a mantle above the stove.

“The second jar,” Rose said nonchalantly. Ginny walked over and lifted the jar. The label on it clearly said ‘salt’. Ginny groaned. Suddenly Harry was behind her, wrapping his arms around her and burying his face against her neck. She could feel his amused smile.

“Well, Ginny, I knew I had my doubts for a reason. But I love you both for trying,” He said, and she swatted him as he laughed.
Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear