Search:

SIYE Time:21:37 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Romance and Weasleys
By Chatmandu

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 5
Summary: Voldemort is acting up. Dumbledore is acting worried. The Hogwart’s prefects must act together, and Ginny decides now is the time to act.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4728



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This story was originally an entry to the SIYE Valentine’s Day 2005 Challenge. While post-OotP, it was written prior to the release of HBP, and is now an alternative universe story. I re-edited the story to comply with SIYE guidelines on misspelled character names (Zabini, its spelled Zabini!). Typos were fixed and character actions better explained (I hope). A couple of small changes also took the events of ‘Half-Blood Prince’ into account.




ChapterPrinter


Romance and Weasleys

by Chatmandu

Harry stared into the common room hearth fire and sighed. Things could not be worse. Well, they could, but he didn’t want to go too far down that line of thought. It was January and he would be finishing his schooling in several months. Almost seven years had gone by. Unfortunately, neither he nor the rest of the seventh years had time for nostalgia. NEWTs would soon be upon them, and Hermione was hissing like a goose if she even thought Ron or Harry were ignoring their revision timetables she had drawn up.

However, that was not the reason for this late night melancholy. Since the previous Halloween Death Eater attacks had grown more frequent, audacious, and deadly. The situation had grown so dire that a large number of parents, fearing for their children, had them remain at Hogwarts over the Christmas holidays and rely on the safety of the castle’s walls, enchantments, and Albus Dumbledore. Harry sighed again remembering the announcement. There are times when a bloke needs some solitude to recharge his batteries, yeah? That didn’t quite happen this year though. The only up side was that Ginny stayed too. At least she understood his need for solitude. Harry smiled as he pondered the reality that his “Solitary Times” were always more calming with Ginny than when he was actually alone. Sometimes he could swear she flirted with him. “If only” he thought. Another sigh escaped as he tried to prevent his imagination from running wild.

A pop from the fire brought Harry back to his original line of thought. The normally empty castle crowded with anxious students over Christmas break. Then on the Winter Solstice, Voldemort reached a new low. Nearly a hundred Wizarding families throughout England were attacked on that single night. The Order didn’t think Voldemort had enough Death Eaters to conduct such a wide spread attack. And there was a new wrinkle to these attacks, the Dark Mark still hovered over each afflicted household, but beneath the Mark was the message “Your darkest day is upon you.” Harry snorted as it occurred to him that Voldemort was a bastard in more ways than one.

******

Since mid-January even Hogsmeade was no longer safe. Death Eater attacks in and around the Wizarding village had risen sharply. Twenty-eight families had been attacked over the past few weeks, leaving ten dead. Zonko’s Joke Shop was destroyed, and the owner lying in St. Mungo’s. Last Tuesday, while practicing Quidditch on the castle pitch, the Hufflepuff team was attacked by Death Eaters lying in ambush in the Forbidden Forest. Three players had been hurt. And then again this afternoon, while holding an unscheduled practice on the pitch, the Slytherin team was attacked. The first reaction throughout Hogwarts was skepticism.

“Did you hear Slytherin was attacked?”

“Yeah, right. They probably did it to themselves in a pathetic grab for sympathy.”

“After last Tuesday no one was allowed on the pitch anyway, why were they there?”

That evening, as the students entered the Great Hall for dinner they saw black banners draped about the wall sconces. Behind the head table was the Slytherin banner, with a mourning sash draped across it. Before dinner, Professor Dumbledore made several announcements to the school. He did not need to request quiet as he rose to speak. “I have disturbing news to tell you tonight. As many of you have heard, there was another attack on the Quidditch pitch this afternoon. While conducting an unscheduled practice,” Dumbledore shot a quick and disapproving glance at Professor Snape, “the Slytherin house team was attacked.”

Harry noticed that Snape was sitting stock still, his face impassive. Yet there was a look of fury in his eyes, worse than anything Harry had ever seen in the man.

“Four players on the team were injured. The team Captain, Mr. Zabini, was killed.” A collective gasp of disbelief ran through the students. Dumbledore raised his hands for silence and then continued. “As of now, all outside activities at Hogwarts are cancelled.”

“All??” Ron cried out. “Professor, is Quidditch cancelled??”

“Yes, Mr. Weasley. Unfortunately that is the case. All outside classes are cancelled too. Professor Hagrid shall conduct Care of Magical Creature classes in the castle courtyard. New passages from within the castle to the Herbology green houses shall be in place by next week. And all future student weekend visits to Hogsmeade are cancelled.”

“But Professor Dumbledore,” said Pansy Parkinson, standing despite Draco’s frantic efforts to pull her back down into her seat, “the next visit is for Valentine’s Day!”

“I understand that Miss Parkinson, but under the circumstances, the danger is too great.” Then a ghost of a smile crossed his face. “Would Miss Granger and Mr. Macmillan please meet me in my office at seven o’clock tonight? Thank you, now tuck in.”

******

“Do you have any idea why the Headmaster wants to see us?” asked Ernie as they approached the gargoyle outside Professor Dumbledore’s office.

“None whatsoever” Hermione responded. She had spent the whole of dinner wondering. Did it have to do with a Hogsmeade visit, or something totally different? It wouldn’t be the first time Professor Dumbledore had switched to an entirely new line of thought in mid-conversation.

Ernie shrugged, said “Peppermint Humbug” and they entered the revolving stairwell.

“Ah, Miss Granger, Mr. Macmillian. How good of you to meet with me at such short notice. I was hoping you could help me stave off an outbreak of what the American Muggles call ‘Cabin Fever.’ It is an apt term to describe the anxiety people begin to feel when kept within a building for too long. Many of our students, and some staff too I dare say, have not left these walls since Halloween. Without some sort of diversion they might succumb to this cabin fever and do something rash. I was hoping, as Head Boy and Head Girl, you could assist me in deciding upon something adequate, at least in the short term, until such time as these Death Eater attacks abate.”

Ernie nodded slowly, “A diversion. Right, sir. Umm, what sort of diversion do you have in mind?”

“I really would like to have some type of celebration for Valentines’ Day. Nothing quite like what Professor Lockhart carried out several years ago though” he chuckled.

Ernie thought a moment. “What about a ball? That would certainly get the students minds off any thing outside the castle!”

Hermione added “We could hold it in the Great Hall, and have the students involved with the decorations!”

Dumbledore shook his head slowly. “No, I am afraid there would be too many security risks in arranging a ball. The school would need to contact unknown outsiders who might prove untrustworthy, and that would not prudent at this time. What I think we require is some place secure, but meets our requirements.”

Hermione looked at him closely. “Some place? Do you mean like the Room of Requirement?”

“That is a smashing idea Hermione! We can do something in there!” said Ernie.

Dumbledore smiled and nodded. “Excellent then, I will arrange for the Room to be available, while you decide the details. I look forward to hearing the details of your plan tomorrow evening after dinner.” And with that he dismissed them.

Walking away from the stone gargoyle, Ernie and Hermione shared the same stunned look on their faces.

“Now what? A diversion. And plans by tomorrow! ” sighed Ernie.

“Let’s get all the prefects together for a meeting during lunch tomorrow.” said Hermione. “With two dozen minds set to the task, I am certain we will have a plan in no time!”

******

The meeting was going nowhere. Most of the prefects were stuck on the idea of having the Room recreate a fancy ballroom. Ron, still complaining about no Quidditch, wanted to hold all remaining matches there.

In the midst of these squabbles, Ginny spoke loudly to get everyone’s attention. “Is there anything more romantic than being with your boyfriend or girlfriend on a snowy day in Hogsmeade?”

A murmur of “nos” came from the assembled Prefects.

Gathering up her courage, Ginny plunged on. “Then what we require is a snowy day in Hogsmeade!”

Joanne, the fifth-year Hufflepuff prefect asked “Ginny, can the Room of Requirement actually make a whole village? I mean it is only a room, regardless of the magic within.”

“I don’t know, I don’t think anyone has ever required a village before. Hermione, can you ask Professor Dumbledore about this?”

Hermione glanced at Ernie, who gave her an “It’s worth a try” shrug. “All in favor of a ‘Hogsmeade Valentine’ say aye” Hermione called out. Most of the prefects answered aye. “Opposed say nay.” Not a sound. “Right then, a Hogsmeade visit for Valentine’s Day it is!”

******

“I am afraid, Mr. Macmillan, the creation of anything as large as a village is quite beyond the abilities of the Room” said Dumbledore that evening. “That also means, Miss Granger, that your Mr. Weasley can not use it as a Quidditch pitch either.”

“My…??” Hermione tried to stop the creeping blush she felt on her face.

Dumbledore smiled, and continued “However, I do think that a portion of the village can be created, although this poses different problems. The student population of Hogwarts would inundate any small section of the village. While it is an excellent suggestion, I am uncertain it can be done.”

Dumbledore watched the two students as they sat in awkward silence and pondered what to do next. Hermione was quite discouraged. This was the best of the ideas the prefects had come up with. Ernie sat next to her, frowning and tapping a foot against the carpet.

Suddenly he looked up. “Headmaster, what if each house had its own day to visit? The 14th falls on a Saturday this year. Each house can have a Saturday visit for itself!”

“But how - ” Hermione began, but Ernie cut her off.

“Just wait a moment, let me think please. This will be smashing! We hold a drawing to see which house wins the prize of the 14th, with the other Saturdays selected as lesser prizes!”

The awkward silence returned to the office.

“I didn’t think my idea was that bad” muttered Ernie.

“No” Hermione slowly replied. “Actually it is quite good, but we need to make the house and date selection more, more…impartial. What if each head of house placed a slip of parchment with the house crest in to the Sorting Hat and Professor Dumbledore draws out the crests. First draw, first Saturday, second draw, second Saturday and so forth.”

Professor Dumbledore nodded in agreement. “Excellent ideas Mr. Macmillan, Miss Granger. I do think, however, that to maintain impartiality no one from the Hogwarts, including myself, should be involved with the house selections. I may have” Dumbledore began to grin, “an alternative in mind, someone who would enjoy this very much. I shall have to seek permission, and make arrangements though. I will let you know after dinner on Wednesday. In the mean time continue planning as the two of you have described. I think this is what the Hogwarts needs. Goodnight.”

******

“Madam Marchbanks??” shrieked Pansy. “Oh please. She is positively ancient! What could she know about romance?”

Hermione shrugged, “Actually, according to ‘Hogwarts — A History’, Griselda Marchbanks was well know in the mid-19th century for her love sonnets. She was compared favorably to Shelley and Byron.”

Lavender laughed, “Okay Hermione, if you say so. Love sonnets!” She looked to Hannah, giggled, and in an exaggerated whisper said “Do you know, I heard she snogged Dumbledore once!” The girls around her burst into laughter.

Hermione scowled, “Alright, that is quite enough! This meeting is getting out of order. Let’s cover what we have planned. The selection will occur tomorrow night, after dinner. Each house can decide what establishments are arranged along Hogsmeade’s High Street. To aid in keeping numbers down, normal Hogsmeade visit rules apply. The Room can mimic the actual weather in Hogsmeade on each day, or be what the house chooses. And house members can invite students from outside their house to come along.”

“Oh, of course Granger. Why not a little ‘cross species breeding?” said Draco in disgust. “Get as many Mudbloods as you can to pollute... ”

“You can shut it now, Malfoy!” warned Ron.

Hermione, choosing to ignore the outbursts, spoke loudly “Ernie, are there any other guidelines you think we are missing?”

After thinking a moment, Ernie shook his head.

Hermione continued “Right then, we have a plan! Prefect’s meeting adjourned. Let’s see what happens!”

******

Ginny was ecstatic that her idea for Valentine’s Day was approved. While the prefects were ordered to keep it dark about how the houses would be selected, the basic details of the plan’s existence swept throughout the school like a wild fire.

That evening, Harry came through the portrait hole and saw Ginny sitting at a table near the fire. She was writing on a parchment, several reference books on the table. He sat across from her. “A Valentine’s Day Hogsmeade visit, without visiting Hogsmeade, huh. Miss Weasley, you really are a powerful witch!”

“Well Mr. Potter, I am putting you on notice that we Weasleys are big romantics.”

“Like Ron?” he said, trying unsuccessfully not to laugh.

“You prat!!” she laughed in reply. “Maybe I was thinking more of Fred and George.”

“Uh oh” Harry grasped his chest as if in a panic, “now I am in trouble!”

Unexpectedly, Ginny leaned across the table and purred “Oh really, Mr. Potter? And how would you get in trouble with a romantic Weasley?”

“What? Well…uh…its not…I don’t…I mean…” he stammered.

She sat back in her chair with a throaty chuckle. “Harry, are you blushing?”

“No!” he said sharply. Then he smiled slightly “Well, hopefully not too much.”

Ginny returned the smile. “Hmmm, the Boy-Who-Lived blushes. I will have to file that away for later use!” She glanced at a commotion near the portrait hole, grimaced, then continued in a business like manner “But for now, I have a potions essay to finish, and you have a Hermione to placate regarding, let me guess, NEWT revisions?”

Hermione strode briskly from the portrait hole, “Harry, you will be at our Transfiguration study group tonight, won’t you? You missed the last one!”

“Ron took notes for me.”

“Oh yes, that will be a big help” she snapped. “Get useful notes from Ron? You might as well as have a muggle get blood from a stone! But of course,” she continued sarcastically, “NEWTs aren’t important. I mean they only determine our careers for the rest of our lives!”

Harry removed his glasses, and pinched the bridge of his nose while squeezing his eyes shut. “You are assuming, Hermione, I will have a ‘rest of my life’ for a career” he sighed.

“Harry!” exclaimed Hermione in shock. She took him by the shoulders, looked him in the eye and scolded “You can not believe that! Ron and I, the whole DA, Professor Dumbledore and the Order; we all have faith in you. Is it so much to ask that you have a little of that same faith in yourself?”

“Hermione’s right” added Ginny, softly.

Harry gave Hermione an annoyed look and shrugged off her hands. “Okay, Hermione. Fine!” He stopped and took a deep breath. “Look, I have a meeting with Dumbledore in a few minutes. I will be a bit late for the study group, but I will be there okay? And I…I will think about what you just said, alright? Who knows”, he caught Ginny’s eye and smiled “I might enjoy a career full of opportunities to blush.” And he left the common room.

Hermione turned and looked at Ginny. “What was that all about?”

Ginny flashed a smile at Hermione, winked, and then turned her attention to the parchment in front of her.

******

By Friday, the students could no longer concentrate on their studies. Finally they were able to make their way to the Great Hall for dinner. As they arrived, all but the prefects were surprised to see the Sorting Hat sitting on a stool before the Head Table. This set off a whole new wave of guesses and wild theories, trying to explain its presence. The prefects smiled smugly and answered all questions with a superior “Wait and see.” Even Harry could not pry any information out of Ron and Hermione.

Ginny arrived, scooting Dean aside so she could sit next to Harry. He started to ask her about the surprise, but she just smiled and said “Patience, you will just have to wait and see!”

Professor Dumbledore arrived at the head table accompanied by Madam Marchbanks, who took the seat to his right. The first through fifth-years were puzzled by the presence of this very old witch. The sixth and seventh years let out a low groan, remembering her from their OWLs. Dumbledore rose and spread his arms for silence. “Good evening, students, good evening! As you are all aware, there shall be a special treat in store after dinner. Because of the previous week’s deplorable events I wanted you to have something positive to look forward to. Your Head Boy and Head Girl, along with all the prefects have shown admirable invention and perseverance in planning this event.” Smiling, he asked “Would Mr. Macmillan, Miss Granger and the house prefects please stand.” As they did so, Dumbledore began to applaud, joined in first by the school staff, then the other students. “I can not remember a time when I have been more proud of our student leadership.”

Hermione blushed so deeply Ginny wondered if there might be some Weasley blood in her.

Dumbledore continued to speak, a grave expression now on his face. “I know these past few months have been quite stressful. Even thought we are safe here at Hogwarts, our loved ones remain in danger. Voldemort seeks to divide us and destroy us piecemeal. His last message, that our darkest day was upon us, displays both his wile and his ignorance.”

A murmur of comments spread though the students.

“Yes, ignorance. We know the Winter Solstice marks our shortest, and therefore, darkest day. But we also know that with each day after, the light stays longer and the days grow warmer.” A smile came to Dumbledore’s face. “Voldemort, in his arrogance, does not realize that it is his darkness that now wanes, while our light grows stronger. Enjoy the happiness that will result from you, the students, working together. These are but the first of many more such days to come. Well, I have stolen enough of your time, please tuck in!”

******

After the meal’s plates vanished, Dumbledore stood again. “Professor McGonagall, would you please bring up the Sorting Hat!” As she did so Dumbledore continued to speak. “Once the Hat is placed in front of me, the head of each house will place a parchment marked with their house crest into the hat. I have the high honor of introducing to you Madam Griselda Marchbanks, head of the Wizarding Examinations Authority. She has once again humored one of my requests and will draw the parchments out of the hat. Each house shall have the Room of Requirement to itself for a Saturday and may plan a Valentine’s Day Hogsmeade visit as they wish. While the Room can not replicate the entire village, most of Hogsmeade’s High Street will be duplicated. I have discussed this with the merchants of Hogsmeade and they will be happy to bring their wares and staff if requested. I am told that the prefects of each house are to plan their specific visits. Any questions should be directed to them first.”

He fell silent as Flitwick, McGonagall, Snape, and Sprout each placed a piece of parchment in the Sorting Hat. As the students realized what was going to happen, the buzz of conversation began to rise. It died sharply as Dumbledore called out in a strong voice “Madam Marchbanks, would you please choose the first parchment.” He held the hat just above her eye level. A smile lit her face as she reached into the Hat and drew out a parchment. “The first house, to have its visit on February 7th, is” and he paused for effect “Ravenclaw!”

Polite applause, and some groans of disappointment, came from the Ravenclaw table. The other houses cheered loudly realizing they still might go on Valentine’s Day proper.

“The house to have its visit on February 14th, Valentine’s Day, is --- Slytherin!”
Any sounds of disappointment were drowned out by the explosion of cheers rising from the Slytherin table.

“The house to have its visit on February 21st is --- Gryffindor!”

Harry Ron, Hermione, Ginny and the other Gryffindors cheered and clapped while hugging and shaking each other’s hands. The Hufflepuffs began to cheer as well, and continued through the drawing of their house for February 28th.

Dumbledore raised his arms again and called out over the dull roar of excited student conversations “Thank you teachers and students, thank you! And my personal thanks to Madam Marchbanks! Now then, I believe each house has some planning to attend to. Good night!”

“Bloody hell” growled Ron to Harry. “As if Slytherins would know what to do with Valentine’s Day!”

Hermione gave Ron a long piercing stare; hesitancy, and then determination reflected in her eyes. She smiled as she rose from the table, “oh Ron, the date doesn’t matter as long as we can have a Valentine’s Day all to ourselves.”

“Um…by w…we, you mean Gryffindor House, right Hermione?” stuttered Ron.

“Well, yes that too.” Still smiling, Hermione reached for Ron’s hand, and led a shocked Ron out of the Great Hall.

Harry smiled as he watched them leave. He turned to Ginny “I guess love is in the air, Valentine’s Day or not!”

Ginny laughed for a second, then continued to smile as she said “Romance and Weasleys, never underestimate either.” She lightly tapped her index finger to Harry’s nose, then rose from the table joining several other sixth years as they left the Hall.

Harry sat, a bemused smile and a slight tinge of pink on his cheeks, as he watched her disappear in to the crowd.

******

The week leading to Slytherin’s use of the Room was very busy for the Gryffindors too. Hermione, ever the one to prepare well ahead of time, insisted her house have its version of Hogsmeade already determined by the Monday before their visit. Many arguments were had, and resolved. While most Gryffindors tuned out Ron and Hermione’s set-tos, they were rather old hat by now, they had the rare opportunity to watch the train wreck that was a full blown Weasley family row. Ginny and Ron engaged in a spectacular shouting match over which year’s prefects should be in charge of organizing the Room arrangements. When Ginny finally suggested a recess, to allow the prefects some time to compose themselves, Ron yelled in her face that he wanted the issue settled right there and then. Snarling, Ginny pulled her wand, screamed Petrificus Totalus, then cast a Bat Bogey hex, and left him lying in the middle of the common room floor for several hours. When the meeting was reconvened, they quickly decided to let the sixth years handle the organizing.

******

“The Three Broom Sticks, Honeydukes, Madam Puddifoot’s, Gladrags, and Scrivenshafts!” Ginny read to her assembled House the list of merchants Gryffindor had chosen for their day at Hogsmeade.

Most of the fourth and fifth year girls were giggling at the mention of Madam Puddifoot’s. Harry groaned and rolled his eyes at their behavior.

Seeing this, Ron smiled. “Come on, mate, its not like anyone is going to force you to go there.”

Hermione nodded “Ron’s right. I really don’t see what the attraction that place holds for people is. It is far too fussy for my tastes, thank you very much.”

Ron gestured toward Hermione and added “You won’t see us in there!”

“Us?” Hermione looked sharply at Ron, her eyes wide. “You said ‘Us’! Ron, are you asking me to Hogsmeade?”

Ron’s ears began to color. “Well…uh…” he stammered, “uh yes.” He caught his breath, looked her in the eye, took her hand and in a firm voice said “Yes. Hermione, may I have the pleasure of your company at Hogsmeade as my date for Valentine’s Day?”

Ginny walked over to the three, smiling as she sat next to Harry. “I need to get this list to Professor McGonagall tonight. Harry, why don’t you come with me? Get your head out of the books for a bit?” Ginny turned toward Hermione, who had a dreamy, most un-Hermione-like look on her face. “Alright there, Hermione?” Ginny asked with concern.

Hermione looked at Ron. “Just last week, Dumbledore referred to you as ‘my Mr. Weasley.’” she said quietly. With that, she leaned over and gave Ron a peck on the cheek. Blushing slightly, but wearing a contented smile she left for her room.

Ron remained seated, an unfathomable look on his face.

“Ron? Alright there, mate?” asked Harry. He glanced at Ginny then asked “Fancy a game of chess perhaps?”

“What?…Oh.” replied Ron, in a soft voice of his own. “No, I don’t think so, not tonight, thanks.” Then he smiled, “I…I think I have some studying to do.” And he headed up the stairs to the boy’s dorm.

“Wow” Harry muttered.

Ginny nudged him with her shoulder and smiled. “See! Romance and Weasleys, Harry.” She stood, “come on. Let’s go see McGonagall” and led him out of the common room.

They walked in silence through the corridors. Nearing McGonagall’s office Ginny said “A knut for your thoughts.”

“You know Ginny, I almost think at times you are flirting with me” Harry said carefully.

Ginny replied in mock astonishment “Flirt? Me? With you?”

“I didn’t mean suggest…” Harry backpedaled.

Ginny laughed “Harry, for someone at least as thick as Ron, you actually have astounding powers of observation!”

“But…Hermione…she told me a couple of years ago that you were over me” said Harry sounding confused.

As they reached McGonagall’s door Ginny replied quietly “If Hermione said that, she was wrong.” Then she knocked on the door.

“Enter” called Professor McGonagall’s brisk voice.

“Professor, I have the list of merchants we want for our weekend” said Ginny in a brisk tone of her own, handing a parchment to McGonagall.

As McGonagall looked at the list a small frown crossed her face. “Scrivenshaft’s? You are the only house to request them.”

“We are the only house with Hermione Granger” smirked Ginny.

“I see.” McGonagall responded. Harry wasn’t sure, but he thought there was the trace on a smile on her face. She glanced between the two students. “Mr. Potter, shouldn’t you be studying? Is there anything bothering you?”

“No Professor. I have a lot….I mean….I thought I’d take a short break. From studying.”

“I see.” McGonagall said again, that slight smile still there. “Thank you Miss Weasley,” her gaze returning to the parchment Ginny handed her. “I will see that the appropriate merchants are informed in the morning. Good night.”

Walking back to Gryffindor Tower, Harry asked “Hermione really requested Scrivenshaft’s? I didn’t see it on the list of shops to vote for.”

“It wasn’t. Hermione told us to put it on the list. Colin and Natalie objected, but Hermione told them she was Head Girl, she wanted to shop at Scrivenshaft’s, and she had the authority to add it. Got a bit shirty about it too!”

Harry shook his head and smiled. “Hermione can be rather scary at times, you know.” Ginny laughed and continued walking.

As they again walked in silence, Harry’s mind worked furiously. Ginny seemed in a good mood, maybe she really had been flirting, and there was no one around to tease him later if he was wrong. They could always pretend this never happened, if it went poorly. A muggle saying came to him, “Fortune favors the brave.”

“Ginny?” Harry asked, his voice sounding nervous, “I was wondering. This Saturday, you know, it will really be good to get away from the school for a bit. No, wait, well not really away away, but someplace that doesn’t look like the inside of Hogwarts. Of course the whole village won’t be there, and we can’t walk just anywhere. But then we won’t have to walk far to get there either, of course, there being really here…but not…I think. Well now, I seem to be, ha ha, rambling a bit, um…because I’m, uh, a bit, uh, nervous right now. Because I…was…wondering…ifyouwouldliketogowithme , I mean if you aren’t already going with somebody because I am sure you’ve already been asked loads of times, to Hogsmeade that is, with me that is, if you don’t mind that is…Okay?” He paused to breathe and gave her a weak smile.

Ginny looked up and grinned. “That is two new things I have discovered about you. You blush, and you ramble. I wonder what other hidden talents you possess. Maybe I will discover some while I am at Hogsmeade with you.”

“What?!” Harry exclaimed.

“Chudley Cannons” Ginny said as they came upon the Fat Lady’s portrait. “I said yes. Harry I would love to go to Hogwarts with you” she grinned.

“Yes?” Harry repeated, his voice a mixture of relief and elation. “That’s brilliant! We can…no, maybe first…well, wait, I don’t know. But I will figure it out, Okay?”

“Okay Harry” she replied, still grinning. “Good night.”

“Good night Ginny!” Harry said and then he bounded up the stairs two at a time into his dorm room.

Ginny watched him disappear up the stairs. Her broad grin changed into a joyful smile, and her eyes held a gleam of triumph. “Romance and Weasleys” she sighed, and turned to the girl’s stairs.

******

Saturday dawned a cold, dull, leaden day with clouds threatening to snow heavily. None of this gloom was apparent within Gryffindor Tower. Despite being a Saturday, every student third year and above was awake and dressed early. Ron and Harry came out of their dorm room and stopped at the head of the stairs. They saw a very animated Hermione across the room talking to a group of third year girls.

“You don’t think she is excited do you?” laughed Harry.

“Don’t know why” mused Ron “it’s not like she’s never been to Hogsmeade before.”

“She’s never been to Hogsmeade before with you, you thick git.”

“Oi! She’s been to Hogsmeade plenty of times with us”

“Ron, she is not going with us. She is going with you.”

Ron stopped and glanced at his best friend, then stared across the room at his other best friend. “I know, Harry, I know” Ron sighed. “I just don’t want to fix on that though, because I’m afraid I’ll stuff it.”

Just then Hermione stepped backwards while making an exaggerated arm motion, lost her balance and fell on her bum.

“Right. Let’s try this again. You don’t think she is excited do you?”

Ron looked at Harry, and then laughed. “Bloody mental, that one, don’t you think?” he said as they headed down the stairs.

When they reached the Common Room, Ron put his hand on Harry’s shoulder and smirked “You’re not nervous are you? It’s about time you asked my dearest, and only, sister out.”

“I’m surprised she said yes! Compared to how you asked Hermione, I was a bumbling fool.”

“There you are!” smiled Ginny, walking up to the boys. “Come on, let’s get Hermione before she injures herself and spends the day with Madam Pomfrey.”

“You know this is the most excited I have seen the house since we took the Quidditch cup from Ravenclaw in fifth year!” rattled Hermione. “I mean with all of the deaths and attacks this could have been an every so dreary time!”

Harry stopped as if stunned, looked at Hermione, then let out a long sigh. “It is unsafe out there. We’re not even going to Hogsmeade for real. People are living in fear for their lives from Voldemort while I make merry” he said angrily.

Ginny glared at Hermione, and then scolded Harry. “Harry James Potter, don’t you dare start to pout. Not today. You will go to Hogsmeade regardless of your mood. If you’re not sociable, then you can sit quietly in a corner of Gladrags while I try on robes!”

“A girl’s got to shop” laughed Lavender, walking by.

Harry’s expression softened to merely a frown.

“Come on,” said Ginny. “We can’t go to Hogsmeade on an empty stomach now, can we?” She wrapped her arm around Harry’s and led him through the portrait hole to breakfast.

******

The line of Gryffindor students filed up the stairs to the Room of Requirement. As Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny reached the seventh floor Harry looked down the corridor to see Filch standing at the door, checking permission slips.

“Is this a joke?” spat Harry.

“Harry, this is an official Hogsmeade visit. That is why all students must have their signed permission form to leave the castle” said Hermione.

“We. Aren’t. Leaving. The. Castle!” responded a very annoyed Harry.

Ron leaned back to Harry and said quietly “Trust me, mate we’ll take the mickey of this git before we leave Hogwarts. I have a plan to put in action after we’ve finished our NEWTs.”

Filch was giving everyone his usual examination. He gave Harry’s slip an extra going over and also sniffed him a couple of times before letting him proceed.

Stepping into the Room, they were awestruck. This was Hogsmeade. The street, the shops, the smells. Heavy snow flakes were falling, but with no wind the cold was quite bearable. The gloom of the overcast sky highlighted the warm light shining out of the shop windows.

“Perfect!” sighed Ginny.

“Where should we go first?” Harry wondered.

“Honeydukes!” chimed Ron and Ginny together, while Hermione said “Scrivenshaft’s.”

“Hermione” pleaded Ron “you can buy quills later. Let’s go see what Valentine treats are available at Honeydukes.”

Hermione shook her head, then smiled. “Honestly, Ron that is what is so wonderful about two people! We can do two things at once. Why don’t you go with Harry and Ginny to Honeydukes. If you see something I might like, get it for me. I want to get you that journal, with a nice quill; and I need some new quills myself. Think of it as a chance to get Valentine’s gifts for each other.”

“A journal?” said Ginny, equal measures of surprise and skepticism in her voice. “Ron barely writes two sentences when assigned a three foot essay! I can not imagine him writing just to write.”

“That isn’t always the case” Ron sniffed, with an air of superiority. “Come on Harry, let’s go see what‘s at Honeydukes. Hermione, let’s meet at the Three Broomsticks in about an hour?”

Ginny again wrapped her arm around Harry’s, and together they followed Ron to the candy shop. Despite the smaller number of students visiting, the shop seemed as crowded as ever. The crush of students forced Ginny to stand close against Harry. He found the sensation of her against him both uneasy and enjoyable. The discomfort he understood, his one and only previous date to Hogsmeade had not gone well, to say the least. He followed Ginny through the shop as she chatted with their fellow Gryffindors about the choices of sweets and what to do later in the day. There was a small break in the crowd and without thinking, Harry caressed Ginny’s back. She smiled at him then continued her discussion with Natalie. Harry continued to wrestle with his feelings. He was very nervous he might say something ignorant and drive Ginny away. He was willing to do anything not to drive her away. But the joy of Ginny so close was erasing the unease. He realized he liked Ginny near him, he wanted Ginny near him. He just wished he was as calm as Ginny.

Ginny was wondering how Honeydukes could be so crowded with only Gryffindors there. At least the crowd gave her a change to stay close and touch Harry without being too obvious. Talking with Natalie she felt a pleasant sensation move up and down her back. Harry was caressing her! A mantra of “Harry touched me! Harry touched me!” echoed through her mind. She looked at Harry and smiled, then forced her attention back to Natalie. She was not going to revert to blushing, giggle girl. Not today. Sneaking a quick glance at Harry she marveled at how calm he was, while she was so nervous.

Their reveries were broken as Ron called “Oi, Harry, Ginny come over here!”

Ginny led Harry to the back of the shop. “A fondue” she gasped, “with St. Margaret’s Chocolate. I think I have died and gone to heaven”

Harry, watching her, said quietly “I know I have.”

Ginny turned to Harry, her eyes wide, as she realized what he said. Harry, surprised he actually said that aloud, blushed, but he met and held her gaze. For a brief moment the rest of the world did not exist.

Then, for a second time, Ron rudely interrupted their thoughts. “I think we have been here long enough, don’t you? We have to meet Hermione!”

With a frustrated sigh, Ginny glared at her brother, and taking Harry’s arm, led him out of the shop and down the street. Ron followed with a gift wrapped box of Deluxe Sugar Quills, wondering if Hermione really bought him a journal. He noticed a pink cloth lying to the side of the walk and picked it up. It was a handkerchief, the initials HJG embroidered in one corner. Ron smiled as he began to stuff it in to the sleeve of his cloak, but stopped and sniffed. The handkerchief was scented! But it wasn’t a scent he usually associated with Hermione. He would never admit it to her, but after six and a half years he had memorized every smell of her shampoos, soaps, and creams. This scent wasn’t one of those, yet it seemed familiar. He puzzled over why Hermione would wear an unusual…A memory flashed across his mind “And that perfume is really unusual, Ron.” He stared at the handkerchief again, a broad smile spreading across his face. Hurrying to catch Harry and his sister, he thought today is going to be bloody brilliant!

******

The trio walked in to the Three Broomsticks and looked around. They were hardly the only ones stopping for a butterbeer. Harry told Ron to get the drinks while he and Ginny found a table. Standing at the bar Ron saw Hermione enter, waved and pointed her toward Harry’s table.

“Here you are” said Madam Rosmerta. As Ron reached to grab two of the bottles, the sleeve of his cloak slid up his arm, revealing a patch of pink cloth. Madam Rosmerta raised an eyebrow and asked “Are those my knickers you’re trying to hide?”

“What?” responded an utterly shocked Ron.

She shook her head, laughing, and said “Happy Valentine’s Day, Ron. Go, take these bottles. I believe your lady friend awaits you.”

“What was that all about?” asked Hermione who had watched the exchange from across the room.

“Nothing. At least nothing I care to talk about.” replied a very embarrassed Ron.

Hermione stared at him for a moment, then shrugged. “Well, as I was saying” she continued “there will be a big snowball fight in about 20 minutes from now. Boys versus Girls. So be ready to eat snow, Weasley!”

Harry and Ron looked at each other and smirked.

“Don’t get too overconfident Potter” warned Ginny.

******

The Valentine’s Snow Battle of Hogsmeade might not warrant a mention in the annals of Wizarding history, but it was fought with cunning and gusto nevertheless. It would have ended in a stalemate, except Ron noticed a weakness in the girl’s defenses. Colin led the third year boys in a flanking maneuver and distracted the girls long enough for the rest of the boys to launch a frontal assault. Ron was last seen making a maniacal leap over the fort wall screaming “Eat Snow, Granger!” Cold and wet, but laughing, couples found each other, while the other Gryffindors met up with their friends.

“Have you seen Ron and Hermione?” Ginny asked as she trudged over to Harry.

“Not since his dive over the wall.”

Ginny grinned “Where did that come from?”

“Romance and Weasleys?” suggested Harry.

“No” laughed Ginny. “That ought to be sorted under ‘Mental and Weasleys’. Let’s go inside and have something warm to drink.” She took Harry’s hand and started to lead him away.

“Uh, Ginny? The Three Broomsticks is back there.”

“We have been to the Three Broomsticks already. Come on Harry”

“But isn’t this way…? Oh no! Ginny please don’t joke” pleaded Harry, seeing Madam Puddifoot’s ahead of them.

“Come on Harry, don’t be such a child!” the laughter now gone from Ginny’s voice.

Harry glanced over his shoulder, “it’s really no bother to head back to the - ” He had turned back to face Ginny, her wand pointing at his chest.

“Harry” she said firmly, “we are going to Madam Puddifoot’s for a cuppa, maybe two. The only choice you have is whether you walk in with me on your arm, or I carry you in petrified with your face flapping.”

Harry walked in, a smiling Ginny on his arm. The temperature was overly warm, lurid pink was everywhere, and those obnoxious little Cupids were again dropping confetti on the patrons. Seamus and Lavender looked up and waved. Dean and Parvati appeared deep in an intimate discussion. A couple was seated at the very back, Honeydukes wrapping paper on the floor next to them and a large menu sitting on the table in front of them. Probably for privacy, thought Harry, slightly nauseated. A group of fourth year girls had pulled several tables together against the side wall. They giggled as Harry and Ginny walked by. One waved to Ginny and winked. She smiled back, led Harry to a table along the near wall, and sat down.

Madam Puddifoot came over smiling. “What can I get you two today?”

“Tea, please” replied Ginny. “Oh, and a plate of scones too.”

Ginny leaned toward Harry, who looked absolutely terrified. “Do you know why I brought you here today?”

“No” choked Harry.

“I am aware of your previous visit here, you know. I want to show you that despite an unpleasant past, in the company of friends who care about you the future can be much more pleasant.”

Madam Puddifoot returned with their order.

Ginny sipped her tea, while Harry forlornly stared at his. She let him sit in silence. She knew that Harry would talk when he was ready. She just hoped he would be ready sometime today.

After several minutes, Harry met her eyes, a worried look on his face, and quietly said “Sunday evening, before we went into McGonagall’s office, About Hermione saying you over me? You said Hermione was wrong. But Hermione is never wrong.”

Ginny returned his gaze and softly replied “If Hermione said I was over you, she was wrong. I admit I gave up on you several years ago. I thought you would never notice me.” Her voice grew louder, with a trace of anger. “I am my own person you know. I can fight dark Wizards too. I have done so in the past, and I will do it again if I have to. I am not some silly girl who blushes, giggles and…and…puts her elbow in every butter dish within reach. I despise it” she hissed “when my brothers treat me that way! I want to be seen, and treated, as an equal, and a friend.” She said this last quite loud. Harry was frantically trying to shush her, memories of his date with Cho flooding back. Seamus and Lavender gave them an annoyed look, and all other conversations in the room had become very quiet. Ginny glared back around the room then turned back to Harry. In her soft voice she continued “Harry, I gave up on you ever noticing me, but I can never, as long as I live get over you.”

Harry sat, shocked at her declaration. “I’ve always known you are there. It seems you have always been there. I remember you helping me my first time at Platform 9 ¾, and ever since then. If I ever gave you the impression I was ignoring you - ”

Ginny interrupted “you never ignored me. But you never noticed me either.” She sat back in her chair and took another a sip of tea, sadness in her eyes.

Harry sat and studied Ginny for a while. A puzzled look crossed his face and he asked “you never answered my question from Sunday night. If you gave up on me, why have you been flirting with me?”

“Because fortune favors the brave” replied Ginny with a half smile.

“What?” exclaimed Harry. “Where did you hear that?”

“Its some muggle saying Dad overheard. He said it means if you truly want something, you have to be brave enough to try for it. I realized you might never notice me on your own. I thought if I gave a little push, I might catch your attention. And maybe you would begin to see me as me, and not ‘Ron’s little sister’, ‘the youngest Weasley’, ‘the only girl in several generations’ and what ever other titles I have” she added bitterly.

Harry reached forward and took Ginny’s hand. She looked at him in surprise.

“I understand what it is like to be known as a title and not as a person. After all, I am ‘The Boy-Who-Lived,’ and ‘The Chosen One’” Harry grimaced. “For most of the Wizarding world I never was and never will be ‘just Harry’. But I feel like ‘just Harry’ when I am with you.” He smiled and continued “I never had anyone flirt with me before. I am amazed at how you embarrassed me and made me laugh at the same time. Maybe I needed a bit of a nudge, but it wasn’t your flirting that made me notice you.”

“What was it” Ginny asked, the hint of a smile replacing the sadness in her eyes.

“I told you, you are always there. I knew that, actually, but with the war surrounding us outside, I really began to appreciate you being there for me. Even if I brooded, yes I know I brood. Don’t argue. It was your term in the first place! Even when brooding, I found that I never wanted to be alone, unless I was alone with you. And I wanted you there because you are you, just Ginny. I am still not sure exactly what I have noticed about you, but I would very much like you to help me discover what it is” smiled Harry.

Professor McGonagall’s voice boomed throughout the Room “Gryffindor students are reminded that the general school curfew will begin in thirty minutes. Please make your way to the Room’s exit.”

Startled, the couples in the shop glanced at their watches and began to leave for the Room door.

Harry, Ginny, and the couple in the back, were now the only people left in the shop.

“Ginny, I am rather glad you made me come here.”

“So am I! It is nice to know that my hard work at flirting is appreciated, even if it might not have been necessary. But Harry, before we leave there is something I have to do” she smirked.

Harry gave her a confused look and watched as she walked over to the table in the back. “You can come out from hiding now” she laughed, pulling down the large menu to reveal a slightly disheveled and very embarrassed Ron and Hermione.

Harry laughed, “Ron! What was it you said to me last week?” Harry tapped his finger to his temple, pretending to be lost in thought. “Oh yes, now I remember! ‘You will never catch us in that place.’”

“Did he really say that?” asked Ginny, with a mischievous grin. “Hmm… You had better be nice to me for a long while Ron. You wouldn’t want Fred or George to find about this would you?”

Holding hands and smiling at each other, Harry and Ginny left Madam Puddifoot’s and walked out of the Room of Requirement.

******

Back in the halls of Hogwarts proper, they were still holding hands but once again walking in silence. Harry noticed a side corridor coming up. There was a suit of armor standing just inside the entrance that blocked a clear view down the corridor. “Fortune favors the brave” he muttered. Then he darted into the corridor and behind the suit of armor, pulling Ginny with him.

“Harry!” she gasped.

Harry put his hands on her waist and started to lean toward Ginny. She looked at him and began to smile. Harry whispered to her “You have something on your lips.”

“What!!" shrieked Ginny and turned her head, looking at her reflection in the suit of armor.

Harry, unfortunately, rushed to bend his head down and smacked his forehead against her head, just above her ear.

“Ouch! Bloody hell Potter, what was that?” she snapped.

Harry was horrified. “I…we…you were…then I…I was trying to be romantic” he stuttered.

Ginny, wore a look of annoyed confusion. “And you think a head butt is romantic?”

“No!” replied Harry. “I thought…maybe…if you…but then…okay, that isn’t right. I sort of planned…well, I was going to say ‘you have something on your lips’, I expected you to ask ‘what’ and then I would say ‘me’ and then I…I…wasgoingtokissyou.”

Ginny stared intensely at him for a moment, and then burst out laughing. “Oh Harry, I am so sorry. That is so sweet, but…” And she began laughing again.

Harry relaxed a bit, relieved she wasn’t angry with him.

Ginny took another quick glance at her reflection in the armor, just to make sure, then cooed “Come closer.” She put her arms around Harry’s neck and said “Now you can kiss me, Harry.”

It was like nothing Harry had ever experienced. Ginny’s lips were soft, and warm, and wet, but not wet; and Ginny was soft and warm and the faint scent of flowers surrounded and intoxicated him.

Disappointed they had to break apart to breathe; they held each other close and sighed.

“Wow! Ginny, that was, that was…” Harry shook his head at a loss for words. “That was Wow!”

Ginny snuggled closer to him and purred contently. “I can say the same myself.”

“Is this what romance and Weasleys are about?” Harry asked hopefully.

“Are you willing to find out?” giggled Ginny.

Harry pulled back, appearing to give Ginny’s question a great deal of thought. “Hmmm…”

“You prat!” she laughed.

“Are you the one to show me?” asked Harry, waggling his eyebrows.

Ginny now acted as if she was pondering Harry’s question. “Well…I suppose I could get the twins to show you…”

Harry fell to his knees in mock horror, pleading “Ginny, no, please! I will do anything, anything to avoid that!”

“Anything? You should be careful Potter, I might hold you to that promise! Now stand up and get over here.” She wrapped her arms around him and they came together in a gentle series of kisses.

For the third time that day, their private world was interrupted. A maniacal cackle sounded in the main corridor “Peevsie is looking for luuuuvers in the hall! Breaking curfew, I’ll tattle on them all!” Shrinking further into the shadows of the armored suit, Harry and Ginny waited until Peeves bounced out of sight.

“I think that is our cue to get back to the Tower” whispered Harry.

Ginny looked disappointed, but replied “better safe than sorry. And besides” she added kissing him quickly on the nose, “Tomorrow’s another day!”

Now laughing out loud they raced back to the safety of their common room.



END
Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear