Search:

SIYE Time:1:23 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Erasing The Future
By Moxterminator

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-HBP
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Extreme Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 545
Summary: Harry goes back in time to redo his Hogwarts years after losing the war, his family, and his wife, Ginny Potter, to Voldemort. Changes need to be made, but can all changes be good? Years 1-4
Hitcount: Story Total: 396987; Chapter Total: 10391
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
You know, Writers block just sucks dont it?




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter



Harry walked along the dirty path, heading towards the Burrow. Ginny held his hand, her engagement ring sparkling every now and again as small streams of moonlight filtered through the trees. Ron and Hermione walked a couple of feet in front of them. They had just come back from an unhelpful trip from Knockturn Alley. It had been almost a year since they had started off to find the Horcruxes - and they still hadn’t found one. They had thought that there was one in Borgin and Burkes, but their search tonight hadn’t revealed any results.


“What do you think Mum will say when we suddenly turn up?” Ginny asked him quietly as they continued to walk towards the Burrow.


“Not much,” Harry said quietly back to his fiancée. “I think she’ll just be happy to see all of us. It’s been two months since she last saw any of us, and we didn’t exactly say goodbye.”


“If we had tried to,” Ginny muttered, “she wouldn’t have let us leave. She wouldn’t have understood, she never will. Unless, of course, we tell them about the prophecy.” Harry had told Ginny about the prophecy as soon as the four of them had left once she had recovered. She had been shocked, but she swore to stick by Harry: to make sure that he would get through the war; to make sure they would get through the war and let them have the future together they both desperately wanted.


“I know,” Harry said. “But even then I’m not so sure she’ll see reason. And we can’t tell her, love. It would just give Voldemort an excuse to attack them, and none of your family knows Occulmency. Even I still have difficulties with it - and I’ve been trying for over six months now.”


“You’re getting there, though,” Ginny said, “and so are we. It doesn’t help that we have no-one with Legilimency skills. But we’re coming along with that too, aren’t we? You and me, we’re getting there.”


It was true. Harry and Ginny were slowly becoming accomplished at Legilimency. They had decided to learn it because they needed to know how good their Occulmency shields really were. However, there was a slight problem: they could never tell if when they broke into each other’s minds, it was because they were getting better at Legilimency or worse at Occulmency. But still, at that precise moment it was the only option they had.


“We’ll be there soon,” Ron shouted to the two of them. “It should be just through these trees.” They walked for another ten minutes before they heard noise in front of them.


“That’s probably Dad and Percy setting up the wards,” Ginny said happily. “It’ll be good to see them again.”


“I’m sorry for taking you and Ron away from your family,” Harry muttered.


“Don’t start, Potter,” Ginny growled. “I am your family. Or will be soon, once we get married.”


“And that will be soon, I promise,” Harry replied, smiling slightly.


“You know I don’t mind waiting, Harry,” Ginny said, “I’ve told you countless times. I know we’ll eventually get married. I don’t mind when or where.”


“I don’t deserve you,” Harry whispered.


“After everything you’ve been through already,” Ginny answered, “you deserve all the happiness you can get. I’m just lucky that you think I’m the one person in the whole world that could make you the happiest.”


Harry’s heart swam with love at those words. He could never imagine what it would be like without Ginny by his side these past few months. They had wielded little progress searching for Horcruxes and Voldemort was starting to get a stronger handhold on the wizarding world. It was Ginny who got Harry through day by day. It was Ginny who gave him hope that there could be a better future than the one that was playing out at the moment.


“Are you sure you know where we’re going, Ronald?” Hermione muttered. “Shouldn’t we be there by now?”


“Patience, patience,” Ron said, laughing slightly. “It’s just through here.” The four of them walked through a small dense group of trees before coming out into the open, the Burrow and the scene of horror that lay out in front of them in full view.


Death Eaters were standing, jeering, around the outskirts of the Weasley property. The Burrow itself was being ravaged by fire. The flames grew hundreds of feet up in the air. Harry’s heart jolted as he saw one of his most favourite places being ruined. Harry then suddenly thought about Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and Ginny’s brothers. Were they still in the house?


“NOOOO!” Ginny screamed out, running towards the Burrow. This alerted their presence to the Death Eaters. Harry whipped out his wand, ready to fight.


“Oh look! It’s Potter!” one sneered and Harry instantly recognised the voice of Severus Snape.


They others laughed, sneering and leering at them. Although he knew what he was to find as soon as they reached the Weasley home, he felt as if the Death Eaters had yet pulled another card on them. Not even knowing what could be possibly worse than killing them, he grabbed Ginny’s hand forcefully and rushed towards the Burrow. But hands grabbed them and pulled them back. Hermione was holding them back, as well as Ron.


“DON’T! YOU CAN’T!” Hermione screamed. “YOU CAN’T! YOU’LL GET KILLED!”


“THAT’S MY FAMILY IN THERE,” Ginny screamed at the bushy-haired girl. “WHO GIVES A RAT’S ARSE WHAT YOU THINK?”


“Listen to the know-it-all Mudblood, Potter, if you want to live a few days more until our Lord finally disposes of you,” said one of the Death Eaters amidst their own laughter.


“YOU DON’T GET IT, DO YOU?” Hermione said, pulling them back, ignoring the last commentary. “CAN’T YOU SEE THE MAGICAL CIRCLE? IF YOU BREAK IT, WE ALL DIE!” Harry looked down at the floor and saw a faint blue line circling around the property. “WE CAN’T DO ANYTHING! IF YOU CROSS THAT LINE YOU’LL DIE!”


“WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!” Harry shouted. “WE CAN’T LEAVE THEM!”


“Such a heart-wrenching sight, isn’t it, boys? Ah, poor itty bitty baby Potter,” came the deranged voice of Bellatrix Lestrange, making a fire surge within Harry’s entrails. He wanted nothing else but to kill her with his bare hands, hatred uncoiling so deep through his veins, helplessness ensnaring him so thoroughly that he forgot everything but the desire of having her six feet under.


“Isn’t this fun? It was so amusing to hear that stupid woman scream! Ah, my lovely Cruciatus, so infallible…” she said, stroking her wand lovingly, a crazed smile forming on her lips.


Hermione had to hold back both Harry and Ginny, knowing well what that — woman — was doing to them. “Don’t listen to her! It’s what she wants!” she whispered desperately.


“Unfortunately, Bella,” came the silky voice of Lucius Malfoy, “our orders were quite clear,” he drawled, closing the distance between Bellatrix and him. “Dispose of the blood-traitor Weasley family. Do not touch Potter, Granger, or the youngest two Weasleys if they turn up. Our Lord’s word is the law, is it not, dear Bella?”


“Of course, of course, Lucius. I hope Master will let me play with the little dittle pwetty red thing,” she cried insanely, looking at Ginny with pure hunger in her eyes and then Apparated away, as the rest of the Death Eaters laughed and did the same.


“Is there any way to help?” Ron asked desperately.


“No,” Hermione whispered.


“What - what do you mean, ‘no’?” Ginny screamed. “Get rid of the circle!”


“I can’t!” Hermione said.


“What you mean you ‘can’t’?” Ron shouted. “You’re Hermione - you know everything!”


“It’s not that I don’t know how,” Hermione whispered, tears falling down her cheeks. “It’s that I can’t. Only the person who casts the magical circle can get rid of it.”


“How long does it stay up for?” Harry asked desperately.


“How ever long the caster wants, if they have the power,” Hermione answered. “There’s nothing we can do.”


“They can’t be dead!” Ginny screamed. “We’ve got to help!”


Suddenly, the circle vanished, leaving the way to the Burrow safely clear. Ginny darted forwards before anyone could stop her. She whipped out her wand and started to use the water charm to douse the flames. However, the fire had taken a fierce hold on what once used to be the home of redheads. The other three joined her in trying to douse the flames. But the little water their wands could muster was no match for the raging fire. There was a loud creak and they stopped what they were doing as the house creaked once again.


“That must be the wooden beams,” Hermione said. “The heat is getting to them. We’ve got to go.”


“GO?” Ginny exclaimed. “They could still be alive!” There was another loud creak and Harry saw the Burrow sway slightly.


“Ginny, come on!” Harry said, grabbing her. “We’ve got to go now!”


“That’s my family!” Ginny screamed, struggling against Harry as he wrapped his arms around her and started to pull her away from the house.


“If we stay the house is going to collapse on us and kill us too!” Hermione said.


“No!” Ginny screamed as Harry dragged her away from the burning wreckage.


“I’m not leaving!” Ron shouted. “I don’t care what the risk is - that’s my family! I’m not going to leave them!”


Suddenly there was a groan and the house started to fall towards them. Harry tried to drag Ginny away from the house, not wanting her to get hurt from the falling debris. Hermione and Ron, who noticed the house was starting to fall, grabbed Ginny and together they managed to get to a safe distance away. As the house crashed to the ground, it sent up lots of dust that enveloped them in a thick, asphyxiating cloud. Harry continued to heave Ginny, who had started to scream and cry louder since the house had started to fall on them, away from the house.


They managed to get to the woods that surrounded the Burrow and leaned against the trees. Ginny had stopped struggling and was now sobbing her heart out against Harry’s chest.


“How did they know we were going to turn up?” Ron asked after hours of complete silence.


“I don’t think they did,” Hermione whispered. “I think it was just lucky for them that we turned up. I think the circle was meant to be for Aurors.”


“What Aurors?” Harry asked icily, “I didn’t see any Aurors, did you?”


“I can’t believe they’re gone,” Ginny whispered. “All of them, gone.”


“What do we do now?” Hermione said quietly.


“What Mum and Dad and everyone else would have wanted us to do,” Harry replied. “We continue. We don’t let their deaths become meaningless. We continue searching for the Horcruxes. We destroy them and then we kill Voldemort, to make sure no-one else has to go through this.”


“They’re really gone,” Ron said. “I always imagined them waiting for us to come back after we were done.”


“Mum,” Ginny whispered, tears falling down her cheeks. “I never truly said goodbye to her - I just left. What if she hated me for leaving without saying goodbye?”


“That’s ridiculous, Ginny,” Harry said gently. “Mum loved you; she loved all of us…” Harry choked as the realisation of what just happened caught up with him.


“I’m going to slaughter Bellatrix! And Snape!” Ron shouted angrily. “I swear, if it’s the last thing I do - I will kill them!”


“Ron,” Hermione said, shocked.


“They deserve it,” Ginny whispered. “They deserve everything they get.”


“We need to go,” Harry said gently. “They’re going to tell Voldemort we showed up. What if he turns up looking for us?”


“You’re right,” Hermione said. “We need to go.”


“I’m not sure if I can Apparate,” Ron whispered.


“I’ll Side-Along Apparate with you, then,” Hermione said. Harry stood up, pulling Ginny to her feet.


“Where are we heading?” Harry asked.


“Back to the Shrieking Shack,” Hermione announced.


“We’ll meet you there,” Harry said, and Hermione Apparated Ron and herself back.


“I wanted them to be at our wedding,” Ginny spoke suddenly. “All of them. And now they can’t be.”


“They will be, Ginny,” Harry said gently back to her. “They might not be there in person. But they will be there.” Harry put his hand over Ginny’s chest where her heart was as tears fell down his cheeks. “They will be here in your heart.”


“I want to go,” Ginny whispered. “I don’t want to be here anymore…”


Harry obliged, Apparating her away, back to the Shrieking Shack.


-oOoOoOoOoOo-


Harry slowly felt his eyes flicker open. He was in the hospital wing according to the blurry images he could only just make out. Harry felt someone put his glasses on his face and Ginny came into sharper focus.


“Ginny?” Harry asked. “What happened?”


“Dumbledore,” Ginny answered. “He got there just in time.”


“He was absolutely furious when he saw the Dementors hanging around you lot,” came the sound of Fred’s voice. Harry looked away from Ginny and noticed the whole Quidditch team, apart from Alicia, surrounded his bed. “He muttered something and this silver bird shot out of his wand at the Dementors and they hurried back towards the school boundaries.”


“I can’t believe you got there in time,” Harry said quietly.


“We met Dumbledore in the entrance hall. He already knew that the Dementors were in the grounds,” George continued the story. “He rushed down the lawns really fast. I never knew he had it in him.”


“So you are all alright, then?,” Harry asked.


“We’re fine,” Neville answered. “But you’ve been out of it for a while. Tea is nearly over.”


“I’ve been out that long?” Harry asked, shocked.

Ginny nodded. “I was so worried,” she whispered.


“I’m okay now though, Ginny,” Harry smiled reassuringly.


“So you say,” Ginny muttered, pushing a stray strand of hair back behind her ear, “but what you say isn’t always the truth; is it, Potter?”

Harry smiled sheepishly in return. In all honestly, she was completely right about that.


“Ah, good, you’re awake,” the bustling voice of Madam Pomfrey said as she shuffled her through Harry’s friends. “Here, eat this,” she added, handing him some chocolate. “I suspect you’ll be ready to leave within the hour.” Harry nodded and the matron left to go see another bed. It was only then did he remember about Alicia.


“Alicia,” Harry said suddenly. “How is she? Is she going to be alright?”


“We don’t know,” Wood admitted. “The hex was a Nightmare Curse according to Madam Pomfrey. It’s meant to force you to relive all your worst nightmares. And not just view them. But actually relive them. Madam Pomfrey managed to counter the curse. It’s the broken bones that are the problem.”


“Madam Pomfrey can fix broken bones in a jiffy,” Harry said, worried. “What’s wrong with Alicia?”


“She broke her spine,” Hermione whispered. “The spine holds so many nerves that even a little crack to the spine can cause any human being to become totally paralysed. Alicia broke her spine terribly.”


“She’ll be able to walk again, right?” Harry asked fearfully.


“Oh yes,” Hermione stated. “Wizards are far more advanced in the medical side of things than Muggles. If she wasn’t a witch, she would be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life: barely able to move her neck, let alone any thing else - but wizards have magic to help recovery. She’ll be able to walk again -and fly, too. However, she has to go to St. Mungo’s, Madam Pomfrey can’t cure her here. And I doubt she’ll be able to fly again this year.”


“It’s my entire fault,” Harry muttered.


“How is this your fault?” Ginny asked him.


“Pettigrew is after me,” Harry said. “That spell was aimed at me. I should be in Alicia position.”


“Don’t blame yourself, mate,” Ron said. “This is no one’s fault but Pettigrew’s.”


“But Pettigrew isn’t after any of you, is he?” Harry said. “Maybe I should leave the team - it will protect you lot.”


“LEAVE THE TEAM?” Wood roared.


“Quiet, Mr. Wood,” Madam Pomfrey said, coming out of her office, “before I’m forced to remove you. That goes for the rest of you too. Especially you, Miss Weasley; he needs rest. No extracurricular activities.”


“Yes, ma’am,” Wood and Ginny said together.


“You can’t leave the team, mate,” Ron said once Madam Pomfrey had returned to her office. “You’re the best Seeker in the school.”


“It will keep him safe though,” Ginny said. “That’s what’s important.”


“You can’t leave,” Wood said. “I need to find myself a new Chaser, let alone a new Seeker.”


“But what if you need to find a new Beater or a new Keeper too because Pettigrew has hurt you?” Harry said. “It’s safer if I quit the team.”


“What if we have Professor McGonagall look over your practices?” Ron said. “Pettigrew wouldn’t dare attack then.”


“Of course he would,” Ginny said. “However,” she added, looking at Harry carefully, “if someone was to keep lookout around the Quidditch pitch while you practise. Someone who can stay hidden by either being high up, or low to the ground, and someone who could contact you easily. It could work.”


Harry was confused for a second before understanding what Ginny meant. Simon and Estelle. Simon could easily hide by the Quidditch pitch in the grass. Pettigrew would never spot him. Estelle could fly so high that Pettigrew wouldn’t spot her either - but they could both warn Harry if Pettigrew ever came to a Quidditch practice again.


“Can someone explain what Ginny meant?” Ron asked.


“I know what she meant,” Harry said. “I’ll stay on the team.” Everyone looked confused whilst Wood didn’t miss a beat and continued to talk.


“Good,” Wood said, “now we just have to find a Chaser. Starting to look for one now seems a bit disrespectful to Alicia, but she wouldn’t want the team to suffer. But finding a new Chaser is going to be hard. We need to find someone who can play well with Angelina and Katie, let alone having the skills.”


“Well,” Harry said slowly. “I’m not sure about playing with Angelina and Katie, you won’t find that out until practice, but I do know someone who can play Chaser.”


“Who?” Wood asked eagerly. Harry turned to face Ginny. She looked confused, but sudden realization dawned on her face when she realised what Harry meant.


“No! No and no!” Ginny said right away, which confused Harry.


“But,” Harry said, “you love to fly. You love to play Quidditch. You run rings around me and your brothers.”


“Is she good?” Wood asked.


“Brilliant,” Harry said.


“Superb,” Ron added.


“We’ll knock the stuffing out Slytherin with Ginny,” Fred supplied.


“She’s the best Chaser I’ve seen play,” George piped up.


Ginny, who had blushed a deep red after receiving such praise, whispered quietly, “I’m not that good. I’m not that good at all. I’m nowhere near that level. I don’t even have a broom.”


“The broom is no problem,” Wood dismissed,. “that we can sort out. The question is: are you as good as your brothers say you are?”


“I don’t think so, no,” Ginny answered, shaking her head.


“She’s just being modest, Wood,” Harry said. “You won’t find a better replacement than Ginny.”


“If I gave you a shot, you would take a place on the team?” Wood asked Ginny.


“I’m not good enough,” Ginny repeated.


“But if I gave you the spot,” Wood said, “would you take it?” Ginny thought for a moment before nodding her head. “Good; then welcome to the team. I’ll tell you when our next practice is as soon as I know,” and with that, Wood left the Hospital Wing.


-oOoOoOoOoOo-


As the next few weeks of October fluttered by, Harry and Ginny both were bogged down with homework and Quidditch practise. If they weren’t out on the pitch in all weathers, they were huddled in the library or in the common room writing essays for numerous subjects.


There hadn’t been any sign of Peter Pettigrew since the incident with the Dementors, although Harry hadn’t let his guard down. Simon and Estelle both kept a watchful eye on their practices although nothing out of the ordinary was ever reported.


Come the last week of October, Harry and Ginny were walking tiredly back to the Gryffindor tower after a rather wet practice that had dampened their spirits a bit. Ginny’s shoulders were drooped and slouched whilst Harry fought to keep his eyes open. Both were soaked to the bone and looked forward to taking a shower and being able to cuddle up together in front of the fire. October had brought with it cold weather and people could be seen huddled around the fire in the Gryffindor common room every night.


“Why is Wood driving us so hard?” Ginny asked quietly. “I’m tired and I still have homework to do.”


“The match is only a week away, Ginny,” Harry explained. “You know how Wood gets when a Quidditch match gets close,and since everyone had to learn how you play so that we could gel as a team, we had to work harder than usual,” he said patienty and then noticed Ginny looking angrily at him, “not that I’m saying it’s your fault. You know I don’t mean that,” He added hastily.


“Good,” Ginny replied. “Since it was your stupid idea for me to be on the team in the first place.”


“It wasn’t a stupid idea, Ginny,” Harry said, “you love Quidditch just as much as I do.You enjoy it. You know you do. I see you smile when you’re practising with Katie and Angelina.”


Ginny rolled her eyes in submission. “You know, you’re meant to pay attention to the Snitch when you’re practising and not to me.”


“Am I hearing this right?” Harry asked mockingly, “You’re complaining because I pay attention to you? Maybe I should ask Ron for a game of chess when we get in the common room then-”


“Don’t you dare!” Ginny hissed. “Because of practice and homework we haven’t managed to spend time alone with each other all week!”


“How about we curl up on the sofa near the fire together and do our homework? At least we’ll be together,” Harry suggested.


“Sure,” Ginny said, smiling, and then she stuck out her tongue and added, “Just make sure you have a shower first, all right? You’re all stinky!”


“Hey!” Harry said in pretended outrage and chased after Ginny all the way back to the portrait hole of the common room where they got into a rather loud non-magic tickling fight, which of course Ginny won.


Once the two of them had caught their breath back, and Ginny had received a kiss as her reward for winning, the two of them headed into the common room and started to drift up towards the staircase of each other’s dormitories so they could shower and get dressed.


Twenty minutes later, a refreshed Harry and Ginny walked back down into the common, clean and warm now that they had let their bodies warm up in the shower. They each had their school bags with them and they headed over to the table closest to the fire, which was surprisingly free, and started to get out quills and parchment.


Harry was halfway through his Charms essay when the portrait whole opened and Percy came walking in with a piece of parchment. Harry quickly looked up before turning his head back to the essay he was trying to write. He had another two inches to write, yet he couldn’t thing of anything to write which he hadn’t already. Maybe he should just re-write the whole thing, but only this time, make his writing bigger…


“Cool,” came a voice that belonged to one of the twins, making Harry forget his homework and look towards the disruption. Fred and George were looking at the piece of paper that Percy had just pinned up.


“First Hogsmeade weekend, George,” Fred said.


“Indeed, Fred, we needed this to come, need to stock up on our supplies,” George said, nodding.


“Supplies?” Ginny asked, looking up from her homework. “You wouldn’t be planning a prank without Harry and me, now would you?” To her question, Fred and George looked at each other guiltily.


“Who’s the target?” Harry asked.


“Lupin,” Fred admitted. “I know you said we would prank him as the Ghosts but -”


“Well, you see,” George reasoned, “we’re kind of getting impatient. It’s been two months, Harry. We kind of expected to do at least one prank by now, yet the Ghosts haven’t done one, not one prank -and you said we would pay him back for not telling us about his teaching position.”


“I’m sorry,” Harry said sheepishly. “Really, I am. I didn’t mean to leave it this long. Just had other things on my mind.”


“Yes,” Fred said, giving a look at Ginny. “I thought you might have.”


“Oh, sod off,” Ginny spat. “We’ve both been run off our feet with Quidditch practice, which both of you know only too well, and also homework -Not to mention Pettigrew. We haven’t had time to forget about anything because of each other. We hardly get enough time alone together as it is.”


“Okay sis, okay, clam down,” George said soothingly. “We get it, homework and all that. It’s a shame Mum made sure you didn’t bring your essay writer back to Hogwarts this year, Harry.”


“Yes, it is,” Harry said. “I would ask Sirius to send it to me but I bet Percy would then just go write to Mum and tell her.”


“Yes, the git,” Fred agreed. “But anyway, the prank on Remus, any idea when we can do it?”


“How about Halloween?” Ginny asked.


“It’s only a week away, and that’s when the Hogsmeade weekend is,” Fred started. “It’s an excellent idea. Brilliant if it weren’t for the Hogsmeade weekend.”


“Actually,,” Harry drawled “Halloween might be perfect. That is, if you don’t mind missing out on Hogsmeade this time. I promise you’ll get to go next time.”


“Interesting, and sounds promising,” George began.


“If it weren’t for the fact that we need to go because of supplies,” Fred finished. “We haven’t got anything to prank Remus with.”


“I know,” Harry said, thinking aloud. “They normally open the gates for us to go down into Hogsmeade around eleven. How about you go down, get your supplies, and sneak them back up into the castle using the passage way behind the one-eyed witch? I know you won’t get to see the rest of Hogsmeade; however, you two should be back by one. Then we have five hours before the feast to get everything ready.”


“Five hours?” Ginny asked, staring at him.


“Five hours with them,” Harry said “You’ll be doing some preparation work in the morning; I’ll be popping down to Hogsmeade for an hour before coming back. We can’t let everyone know us four are up here planning stuff on our own otherwise people will get suspicious.”


“All day to set up one prank?” George asked. “Is that needed?”


“Sorry, did I indicate only one prank? I’m planning several,” Harry answered, grinning, “and not just on Remus.”


“Five hours, you say?” Fred inquired.


“We could set up a lot of pranks in that amount of time,” Ginny added, a dreamy smile on her face.


“Yes, yes we could,” Harry agreed, grinning.


“I think this is going to be rather enjoyable, Fred,” George said.


“Definitely worth missing a Hogsmeade trip for, George,” Fred added.


“Indeed,” George agreed. “So Harry, tell us, what have you got in mind?”


-oOoOoOoOo-


“You sure you should be coming?” Hermione asked Harry. It was Halloween morning; Filch was just about to open up the gates to let everyone, third year and up, down into the village where all the shops stood waiting to make a bundle out of the first Hogsmeade weekend of the year.


“He’ll be fine, Hermione,” Ginny reassured her. She was standing with them by the gate to say goodbye before she went back up to the castle to make a start on the preparation work


“I can’t believe you’re going to let him come with us, Ginny,” Hermione said reproachfully. “Look what Pettigrew did to Alicia.”


“I’ll be fine,” Harry bristled. “I mean, I’ve got you two with me; and anyway, I’m not staying all day.”


“You shouldn’t be going at all,” Hermione retorted. “It’s really dangerous. I’m surprised McGonagall is letting you go.”


“She can’t stop me, unless I’ve been in trouble. I got permission from Sirius,” Harry replied.


“Didn’t he sign the permission slip before you heard about Pettigrew?” Neville asked.


“Yes, but he didn’t ask for it back after he found out,” Harry answered.


“I just hope you know what you’re doing,” Hermione said.


When Filch opened the gates to let everyone out and into the waiting town, Harry gave Ginny a quick kiss before heading down the hill with the others while Ginny went to get ready for the pranks they were going to set up.


When they got to the busy streets of Hogsmeade, it was a rather difficult decision where to go first. Ron wanted to go straight to Zonko’s joke shop, whilst Hermione wanted to go to the post office. Harry didn’t really mind, since he had seen it all before. But as Neville wanted to see the joke shop as well, and it would seem really strange for a prankster like Harry to not want to go Zonko’s, they headed over to the shop.


Out in front of the shop were various different objects. There were some Dungbombs that several people were purchasing, (which were sure to cause Filch a splitting headache); some hiccough sweets and some nose-biting tea cups. Some rather good pranking material, but Harry couldn’t help think that Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes would always be the best joke shop that anyone could ever come across. He couldn’t wait for Fred and George to start creating their sweets. Come to think about it, they must have started planning some of their products already, if they hadn’t started creating them. Harry made a mental note to ask the twins about it when they met at lunch.


They made their way through the shop, with Ron picking up a range of different objects. Dungbombs were his most obvious choice, as well as a very small set of Dr. Filibuster's Fabulous Wet-Start No-Heat Fireworks, which he hid rather well from Hermione, Harry thought. Neville brought some hiccough sweets and some stink pellets. Harry himself, to keep up appearances, bought a fake wand and some belching powder, which he thought could become very useful if he could get Malfoy to take some unwittingly.


“Where to next?” Ron asked once they left the shop, their money pouches slightly lighter and their bags slightly heavier.


“I think we should go to the post office,” Harry said, “as it’s right opposite us.”


Hermione led the way and they were greeted with lots of hoots and squawks from the hundred of owls that lined the wall as they opened the door. Harry found it extremely boring walking around looking at the owls. Hedwig was always fast and had never failed him in either time lines; he would always trust the very first friend he ever had with all his mail.


They spent a good fifteen minutes in the post office before heading off towards Honeydukes. The candy shop was packed with students; it was one of the favourite places of Hogwarts’ student body and the shop owners and assistants always made a bundle on the weekends the students were let down into the village. This weekend bore no evidence that it would deviate from that old routine. The shop keepers and their assistants were run off their feet as many students handed over cash for some Drooble's Best Blowing Gum or liquorice wands.


After spending a long forty-five minutes, where Ron went around trying to work out exactly what to buy to get the most with the rest of his money, Harry went to the cash desk to hand over some money for the sweets that he had bought. Harry purchased some Chocolate Frogs, some real chocolate that was Honeydukes’ own brand and a huge bag of Fizzing Whizbees that made you levitate for Ginny, since he knew how much she loved flying. He also brought some liquorice wands and some Pepper Imps for himself before heading out back out into the street.


When Harry looked at his watch to check the time, he was startled when he saw it was twenty past twelve. He had meant to meet back up with Ginny twenty minutes ago. Glad that he bought the Whizbees for her, he said goodbye to the others started to walk back up to the castle.


The walk was long and it was another fifteen minutes before he reached the seventh floor and the Room of Requirement. He reluctantly reached out for the door handle and pushed it open, stepping inside. The room had taken the form of the classroom that Ginny and Harry had spent most of the time in last year. Ginny was sitting on the sofa by the fire. She had a piece of parchment on which she was writing in one hand and a quill in the other, the Marauder’s Map laid on the table in front of her. Harry was also startled to see that Fred and George were in the room. Some potions stood on the table in front of them.


“You’re late,” Ginny said, looking up from the Marauder’s Map.


“I know, I’m sorry,” Harry answered apologetically.


“You were meant to be here forty minutes ago,” Ginny pressed on. “You were meant to come with me to do Filch’s office. I nearly got caught.”


“You’re alright, though?” Harry asked.


“I’m here, aren’t I?” Ginny said. “No old caretaker is going to get the best of me.”


“Of course not,” Harry agreed hastily.


“We’re nearly done here,” George interrupted from the potion table. It was agreed by Ginny and Harry to tell Fred and George about the Room of Requirement since it was a perfect place for the four of them to use as headquarters to set up the pranks. If they used the common room it would be too obvious what they were doing,


“Brilliant, you can go down to the kitchens and give it to Dobby,” Harry said. Dobby, during term time, worked down in the kitchens of Hogwarts. Sirius was kind of disappointed when he heard that he would have to go back cooking his food himself, although Harry had no clue what he was moaning about. It was always Jo that cooked for the both of them.


“Great, remember, be clear, we don’t want this to happen until tomorrow morning, Dobby can get confused sometimes,” Harry added.


“Wouldn’t it be better for you to take the potions down to him?” Fred inquired. “Then you can order him not to do it until tomorrow morning and we will be fine.”


“I don’t like ordering house-elves, Fred,” Harry said. “Plus, you’re the only ones who know what all the potions do. How will I know which ones are for what tables?”


“Fair point,” George said.


“Now, I still have the Great Hall entrance to do…” Harry muttered.


“Do we really need to do that?” Ginny asked. “Everyone knows it’s us -”


“Yes,” Harry said. “We’re not people that only prank other people; we show them that we can prank ourselves too.”


“Didn’t we do that when we got turned into animals last term?” George demanded.


“Come on,” Harry said impatiently. “It’s not like it’s bad.”


“Not for you, your highness -” Ginny mumbled.


“Why thank you, I order you to kiss me!” Harry interrupted her, grinning.


“ -But you don’t have to worry about what you’ll look like. You’ll look handsome,” Ginny continued, eyeing Harry disapprovingly.


“Don’t I already?” Harry inquired.


“ - Us on the other hand,” Ginny pressed on, exasperated at Harry’s remarks, “will look stupid.”


“They’re pranks!” Harry said. “You’re meant to look stupid!”


“Fine,” Ginny said, “but I’m going to make you look stupid one way or another tomorrow.”

Harry eyed Ginny carefully. He didn’t like the sound of that.“Should I be worried?” Harry asked her gingerly. Ginny just smiled sweetly before giving him a quick kiss which caused protests from Fred and George. Harry decided to take that as a yes.


“Please -” Fred begged.


“- Not in front of us -” George pleaded.


“She is our sister, after all,” Fred finished.


“Yeah, well, get used to it,” Ginny said as she backed away from Harry. “Because I am.”


“Good, so am I,” Harry said, causing Ginny to smile more. “And here -” he handed her the bag of sweets, “- for you.”


“And what exactly are these?” Ginny asked as she opened the bag and saw the sweets and fudge.


“Some fudge and some Fizzing Whizbees,” Harry explained.


“Mum never let me have these,” Ginny said in awe, holding out the Fizzing Whizbees. “What do they taste like? Are they safe?”


“Suck them and find out,” George answered, grinning.


“I’m not sure,” Ginny uttered. “I don’t like that look.”


“It’s from me Ginny,” Harry said soothingly. “Would I get anything that would hurt you?”


“No, but you would prank me if you thought you could get away with it,” Ginny retorted. She eyed the sweet before putting it in her mouth. She sucked for a bit and then looked at herself to check that nothing had happened. When she was satisfied, she turned back to Harry and leant up to kiss him. “Not bad, they taste nice too.” She then went and turned to go back to the Marauder’s Map. However, she couldn’t start walking away. As she tried, her feet failed to touch the floor. Ginny looked down to she that she was floating a couple of feet above the floor.


“Potter,” Ginny hissed, turning back to him.


“Don’t even try to tell me you’re not enjoying the sweet,” Harry cut down what was sure to be a good scolding, grinning and watching Ginny’s predicament.


“You could have told me though,” Ginny muttered, pretending to sulk. Harry just continued to grin and Ginny sighed as she kissed him again. Harry also noticed that Ginny was now at the same height as himself and she didn’t have to lean up to kiss him.


“Now where would the fun be in that?” Harry asked when they broke apart. Fred and George were more than ignoring them.


“Prat,” Ginny muttered.


When the sweet wore off, which was only after a couple of minutes, they continued to plan the pranks for the next day. It took them the rest of the afternoon to set up various different pranks, including the main ones with the help of Dobby. They would have to wait until everyone had gone to bed and use the Marauder’s Map and the Invisibility Cloak to do the one in the entrance to the Great Hall.


-oOoOoOoOo-


“Bloody hell,” Ron said, throwing himself next to Harry and Ginny, who were cuddled up by the fire in the common room. They had both jumped out of their skins when Ron interrupted them. Ginny had got out her wand and had threatened to curse Ron from now until oblivion if he ever snuck up on them like that again.


“Hogsmeade was brilliant,” Ron said as if Ginny’s threat didn’t mean anything. “You shouldn’t have left, mate. We went to the Three Broomsticks and the butterbeer tastes really nice. And the barmaid is hot!”


“Ronald!” Hermione burst, outraged. She and Neville had followed Ron over to the two of them.


“Where else did you go?” Ginny asked Hermione, trying to change the subject away from the barmaid.


“How hot?” Harry asked, which earned a smack from Ginny.


“We went to Dervish and Banges, they sell some magical instruments, including Foe Glasses and a Sneakoscopes,” Hermione explained.


At the same time Ron said, “Really hot.”


“Can you please stop drooling over Madam Rosmerta; she’s in her thirties for goodness’ sake!” Hermione hissed, irritated.


“Yeah, well - still -” Ron mumbled, blushing.


They talked for another ten minutes before it was time for them to go down to the Great Hall for the feast. As they walked into the Great Hall, they could see live bats flying around; the Hall was lit by floating lit pumpkins and all the ghosts had turned out. Even Peeves, who floated just above the staff table. There were some curious glances thrown Peeves’s way, and with good reason: the poltergeist was never allowed into feasts. Harry, however, had given him permission this year and told the Bloody Baron, who was the only other entity apart from Harry who could control him, to give Peeves a chance. Harry hoped that he wouldn’t regret it later.


The feast itself was excellent as usual. Ginny, who had missed last year’s due to an episode with the diary, enjoyed the food and decorations immensely. After the food had gone, the Ghosts of Hogwarts, not including Peeves, put on a show. Even though Harry had seen it before, it was immensely entertaining. What worried Harry, however, was that halfway through the show, the Bloody Baron floated over to Peeves and whispered in his ear. Peeves looked at him, and then at Harry, and then floated out of the room. Harry would have to talk to the Bloody Baron; it was Harry who was in charge. Not him.


When the show ended, to an immense round of applause, Dumbledore dismissed them, and grabbing Ginny’s hand, Harry walked with the others back to the common room. However, when they got to the portrait hole, it was blocked by loads of students. Harry could see the Bloody Baron and Peeves up ahead. Harry’s blood went cold.


“Harry?” Ginny asked, concerned when she noticed the change in him. Harry ignored her. He let go of her hand and pushed and shoved his way through the crowd. When he got through he saw the thing he was dreading. The portrait that usually contained the Fat Lady was torn into pieces, the Fat Lady herself missing. What were the chances of this happening exactly the same way as last time? Why was Peter trying to get into the common room?


“What’s going on here?” came the voice of Percy. “Why aren’t you lot going in? Move, I’m the Head Boy, let me — through!”

Harry turned to see that Percy and Ginny had managed to push their way to the front.


“Peeves” Harry called in a hushed voice.


“Attacked, sir,” Peeves informed him.


“Get the Headmaster,” Harry ordered, ignoring the fact that the whole Gryffindor house was hearing what he was saying. “Baron, go get the Headmaster.”


“That’s quite alright, Harry,” Dumbledore’s voice came from behind him and Harry saw that the Headmaster had just finished walking past Ginny and Percy. “I’m already here. However, we do need to find the Fat Lady - Baron, if you would be so kind, instruct Filch to search every painting?” The Bloody Baron nodded and flew off.


“Filch won’t find her,” Peeves cackled.


“And why not, Peeves?” Dumbledore asked him calmly.


“She doesn’t want to be found, sir,” Peeves went on.


“PEEVES!” Harry barked and Peeves jumped and shot around to face Harry. “The truth - now!”


“She was attacked, sir,” Peeves said hastily and Harry wasn’t sure whether he was speaking to him or to Dumbledore, but thank Merlin everyone would think he was speaking to Dumbledore. “She wouldn’t let him in, see; she was very good and noticed him. When he found out that he was discovered he threatened her and told her to open, sir. She refused, sir, so he attacked her.”


“Who, Peeves?” Dumbledore demanded, but Harry knew the answer already.


“He got very angry when she still wouldn’t open,” Peeves continued. “People say he’s insane, sir, but Peeves knows better, sir. He isn’t insane, sir. He’s psychotic he is, psychotic I say, that Peter Pettigrew.”
Reviews 545
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear