Search:

SIYE Time:15:31 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Revealing Destiny
By blue_skies_forever

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 26
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

Sequel to Road to Happiness. It’s been four years since Lily Potter said goodbye to her life in England and left for new adventures. She’s avoided going home for most of that time for one reason or another but certain events are about to transpire that will make further avoidance impossible. Times are changing, new and old threats emerge, and questions must be answered. Jack is still filled with anger and is reluctant to let Lily back into his life. He knows that he wants to move on in a number of ways but he still can’t seem to get his mind off the one that got away. Little do Jack and Lily know that destiny has bigger plans for them. Harry and Ginny stand hoping to help Jack and Lily realize that sometimes happiness is worth fighting for and that true love is worth the pain it causes.
Hitcount: Story Total: 24137; Chapter Total: 3192





Author's Notes:
Hello everyone! I just wanted to let everyone know there is a slight bit of a conversation that was inspired by anothe rmovie in this chapter. Kodos to anyone who can guess what movie it is. I'll tell you all next chapter! I hope I haven't kept you waiting too long and I hope you all enjoy this one!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Six: Admittance



Later that day, Jack sat on the sofa in Allie’s living room with a lot on his mind. He hadn’t received a letter back from Lily yet, and he was starting to get worried. What if she didn’t want to speak to him again? Could he live with that?

No matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t get the look on her face from the previous night out of his mind. He knew his words must have hurt terribly because she hadn’t retaliated. When Lily was hurting, she was silent; he knew that better than anyone.

“Jack, is everything alright?” Allie’s voice floated into his mind and interrupted his thoughts. He looked over to where she was sitting on the other end of the sofa, reading her mail.

“Yeah,” he said, nodding his head. “I’m fine.”

“Did something happen last night after I left?” Allie asked suspiciously.

Jack sat up straighter and shrugged his shoulders stiffly. “No, I talked with Dylan for a bit, had a couple drinks, and then came home. Why?”

“I don’t know,” Allie sighed. “You just seem to have something on your mind today. Did you talk to Lily or something?”

He debated lying. He could just say “no” and that would be the end of it. Instead, he took a deep breath and nodded his head. “Yeah, she came over to talk before I left.”

“How did that go?” Allie wondered. She had put her mail aside and was now
giving him her full attention.

“Horrible!” Jack said forcefully. “I was half-drunk, and she came over to help me, and I was terrible to her! The things I said…I can’t believe I was so cruel.”

“What did she say in return?” Allie asked, settling back against the sofa with her arms crossed across her chest. Had Jack been looking at her, he would have seen the knowing look on her face.

“She didn’t say anything!” he cried. He jumped to his feet and began pacing the floor in front of her. “She walked away with her friends and her new partner. And that git just put his arm around her as if it was nothing!”

“But it was something,” she pressed. “Something to you, at least.”

“Of course it was!” he blabbed without thinking. “The bloke thinks he can walk right in and take my place!”

“And he can’t,” she continued for him.

“No, he sure as hell can’t! Lily and I have history together. I know things about her no one else knows! Who the hell does he think he is?” He continued pacing until he felt like he would explode.

Allie said nothing, but watched him faithfully.

Finally, he sat back down on the couch heavily and rested his elbows on his knees. Letting go of a deep breath, he took his head in his hands and spoke in a quiet, defeated voice. “I was always the one she went to. We knew everything about each other. She was my whole life.”

“She still is,” Allie said conclusively. There was no accusation in her voice. She didn’t sound hurt or upset at all. “You love her, Jack,” she added after a moment’s pause.

Jack raised his head from his hands and looked over at her. The expression on her face was soft and comfortable. Her legs were drawn up underneath her, and although her arms were still crossed over her chest, her overall manner was laid-back.

He realized he needed to stop lying to himself, and her as well. He bowed his head again and took another breath, “Allie, I-”

“Don’t,” she said, cutting him off. “I’m not stupid, Jack. I can see what’s right in front of my face.”

“I never meant to hurt you by all this. I never meant to have feelings for her,” Jack said quickly. “I was so angry for so long…I guess I hid behind that.”

“I think it’s time to stop hiding,” she told him. She leaned forward and placed a gentle, reassuring hand on his forearm.

“I’m sorry,” he said softly. “I never wanted to lead you on. I do care for you.”

“I know you do,” she asserted. “But not the way you care for her. I see the way you look at her. You’ve never looked at me like that.”

Jack thought for a moment. “How do I look at her?” he asked out of curiosity.

“Like she’s all you need to be happy. You look at her like you love absolutely everything about her.”

“But I don’t,” Jack interrupted. “I don’t love the fact that she left. There are parts of her that I don’t like at all.”

“Jack, I don’t know why she left. Maybe she needed time to figure out if she belonged with you. I’m sure it’s hard for someone like her to accept unconditional love. From what I gather, she had a rough time growing up. Things like that make a person hard to love.”

He nodded, “Yeah, but it wasn’t always a struggle.” He leaned back into the couch and relaxed a bit. “There were times when it was just the two of us; it wasn’t complicated at all. But other times, loving her seemed impossible.”

Allie sighed. “Well, I guess what you have to decide now is if the good times were worth the struggle. I do know one thing, though: you’re not happy here with me. I care about you enough to want what’s best for you, and I think what’s best for you is to figure things out with her.”

“I need to know,” Jack said resolutely. “I have to know if there is something there worth saving. I think there is. I know I’ll spend the rest of my life wondering if I don’t at least try.” He looked over at her sad smile and shook his head. “I don’t deserve you, Allie.”

She smiled prettily in return, and seemed to consider his words. “No, you don’t. But I don’t deserve you either. You have to admit, Jack…we never had a real relationship. We were really just friends who…”

“Happened to sleep together,” Jack finished for her when she couldn’t find the right words.

She chuckled at his bluntness, but nodded her head, “Yes, I suppose that’s what it was.”

“I’d like to be your friend. Is that all right with you?”

“Of course,” Allie nodded. She leaned towards him and placed a chaste kiss on his lips. “I have to admit, I had a feeling we would end this way.”

“Really? Why would you think that?”

“Just a feeling. You got this look on your face whenever someone would
mention her name. You avoided your family because they remind you of her. I knew that, even if you wouldn’t admit it yourself.”

Jack studied her for several seconds. She truly was more insightful than he gave her credit for. “Why didn’t you say something?”

“Because I knew we weren’t serious. We were having fun. It was casual. There
isn’t anything wrong with that.”

“No, I suppose not,” he mused.

“But I don’t think it’s healthy anymore. I think if we continue with this, you would find a way to hide behind us and convince yourself that you love me when we both know you don’t. I don’t want to be someone you settle for. I don’t want to be someone anyone settles for. Relationships are hard enough without bringing such low expectations into it.”

Jack let go of her hand and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. She leaned back into him naturally and rested her head on his shoulder.

“Someday you’re going to find some bloke who can’t get enough of you. You deserve everything I can’t give you.”

She laughed and shook her head. “Tell Lily she better hold on to what she has this time.”

“I don’t even know if she’ll talk to me, Allie, after everything I did and said.
That’s the problem with us. When I’m angry with her, I know exactly what to say that will hurt her the most. I know all her weak spots. I know what buttons to push.” He looked down at the sofa and became very interested in the gray upholstery.

“Just wait, she’ll want to listen eventually. You’ve got to be patient about it, though. Don’t expect to go right back to the way things were.”

“I don’t think I could go back to the way things were,” Jack admitted. “Thanks for the advice, though. I might call on you again if that’s okay.”

“Anytime,” she said with a shining smile. “You call on me anytime you need me, Jack.”







Jack stayed at Allie’s house for a little while longer before returning to Hogwarts. Once back at the school, he went out onto the pitch and did a couple laps before coming back inside to his quarters. He needed to start planning for the upcoming term, but the longer he sat there, the less he got done.
He kept wondering why Lily hadn’t written him back yet. It was mid-afternoon already. Maybe she never wanted to speak to him again. Just as he was beginning to panic, Flash flew in his open window and landed in front of him. He took the letter eagerly, gave Flash a treat for his efforts, and tore into the letter.

Dear Jack,

I can’t say I wasn’t surprised to get your letter. I’m at your parent’s house visiting. If you want to get together later, then you can meet me here.

Love,
Lily


Folding the letter up, he set it down on the desk and leaned back in his chair. He should have known she would be at his parent’s house. He knew the family missed having her around very much, and sooner or later she was bound to end up there.

As he sat there, alone in his quarters at Hogwarts, he realized that his family hadn’t been complete since Lily left. It only took a moment longer for him to realize that he hadn’t been complete since she left either. He hadn’t been happy. In fact, he’d been miserable. He put on a happy face because he felt like he had something to prove. He somehow needed to prove that he could be happy without her.

He took his head in his hands and sighed deeply. Why was he making this so hard on himself? He knew Lily still cared for him like she always had. Why not just ask her to stay and work things out? Even if all they ever were was friends, that would be a hell of a lot better than the way things were now. He didn’t think he could take it if the rest of his life ended up being like the last four.

Making his decision, he picked up a piece of parchment and began his reply.

Lily,

I’ll be over there right away. Please don’t leave. I really need to talk to you.

Love, Jack







Lily had been sitting out in the back yard of her aunt and uncle’s house by herself since she had sent Flash off with Jack’s reply. When she got the owl back from him, she decided to heed his request and wait for him to get there. She couldn’t imagine what he wanted to talk about. His words from the previous night were still fresh in her mind, and she worried she may not be able to keep her composure if he intended on saying anything like that to her again. It wasn’t five minutes after Flash had returned that she heard footsteps behind her.

“Seeing as how you wanted me to stay away from you, you’re really making it difficult,” she said dryly.

“How did you know it was me?” Jack asked, stopping dead in his tracks and waiting for her to turn around.

“You shuffle your feet when you walk.”

She heard him take a deep breath, and soon he took a seat next to her on the warm ground. She looked over at him, and found him staring off into the distance. He was quiet, and so she said nothing. Minutes passed with no words exchanged. Jack finally spoke up when the silence became unbearable.

“I had a dream about us last night.”

Lily looked over at him and squinted against the harsh sunlight. “You still dream about us?”
He glanced her way and nodded, “I’ve always dreamt about you, Lil. I probably always will. Do you?”

She shrugged her shoulders and returned her gaze to the grass in front of her. “Sometimes. The dreams seemed to come less and less often the longer I was away from you. Most of them are just memories.”

“Memories of what?” he asked with genuine interest.

“Just the two of us. I’d dream about waking up and finding you there. Or I’d dream about us playing Quidditch. Small stuff, you know.”

“My dreams are so real,” Jack whispered. “The one last night, especially.”

She was surprised by the emotion behind his words, but shook her head to overcome the feeling. “What did you dream about? Some fight we had?” she asked cynically.

“No,” Jack said, shaking his head. “We were married.” Out of the corner of his eye he saw Lily turn her head to face him. “You had just given birth to our second child.”

After studying him for a second, she was almost scared at what she found in his eyes. There was a vulnerability which had not been present in a long time, since long before she left in the first place. His gaze bore into her in a way only he ever could. She stumbled with how to respond.

“Jack, I-”

He held his hand up to stop her. “Hold on, there’s something I need to say, and if I don’t say it now I never will.” He took a deep breath and turned to face her completely. “When you left I was a complete mess. I stayed away from my family and yours. I didn’t talk to our friends. I just didn’t know what to do. You had always been there for me when I needed you, and suddenly you were gone when I felt like I needed you most. You and I had always been a team and when you left, I felt abandoned.”

Lily opened her mouth to say something in response, but Jack shook his head again. He took both her hands in his and intertwined their fingers. “Please, Lily, I need to say this.”

She looked down at their joined hands and then back up into his eyes. It was odd to touch him like this again; odd, but at the same time soothing. She gave him a nod and he continued. “I had always told you I would protect you. But when you left, protecting you became impossible. Being around my family reminded me of you, so I stayed away from them. I was angry at you for leaving, but more than that I was angry at myself for letting you go. I was angry that I wasn’t strong enough to help you find your way here. I felt like my weakness was the reason you had to go somewhere else to find your strength.”

Jack paused and looked away around the backyard of his childhood home. There was the tree he had proposed to her under that Christmas morning. He thought they would have it made after that. He thought they’d always be together. For the first time in a long time, he allowed himself to remember what that felt like. He closed his eyes and gathered his thoughts.

“I’m not naïve, Lily,” he said finally. “I know things were bad there for us in the end. We were both too stressed out from everything and we forgot what was most important. We should have stuck together on things rather than pull away from each other.”

“I just needed time,” Lily said. “Things were so tense. All we did was fight. Taking that potion only made things worse,” she looked up at him and paused before she added, “You scared me, Jack. I didn’t know what you were going to do. I know some of it was the potion. But I could hear your thoughts. Those feelings had to come from somewhere.”

Jack nodded and looked away from her. “I know I scared you. I was angry about that for a really long time. I’m still angry. I mean…we were happy right?” He looked back at her with an almost desperate look in his eyes. “For a while there, before all hell broke loose, were we happy?”

“Yes, we were happy,” Lily said with certainty.

“Then why did we let it change us?”

“Jack,” she sighed heavily. “We were young. We were young and in over our heads. I was confused and you…I think you were scared too.”

“I know I was scared,” Jack admitted.

“Unfortunately, we can’t go back and change it. We just have to live with it and move on.”

He watched as the wind blew a soft black curl up off her face. “I’m sorry I’ve been so horrible to you.”

She studied him carefully after he said it, almost as if she was trying to gauge whether this was going to be another cruel joke that he would throw back in her face later.
“I mean it,” he added, sensing her reluctance. “I don’t know what’s been wrong with me lately. I know ‘sorry’ doesn’t begin to make up for it. Nothing ever will. I just want you to know that I regret the way I’ve treated you, both since you’ve been back and before you left.”

“It’s okay to be angry with me. I expected you to be,” Lily said reassuringly.

“It wasn’t all anger. I…” he looked away again with shame in his eyes. “I wanted to hurt you. Hurt you the way you’d hurt me, and I know now that was wrong. I didn’t mean anything I said. I don’t think you’ve brought pain into my family. I don’t think you’re the piece of the puzzle that doesn’t fit. And most importantly, I don’t think you’re a slag.”

“Well, that’s good to know,” she replied cheekily with a genuine smile.

“I know you had to get away to take care of yourself. It was what you needed. I can see that now. I’m not angry that you left. I’m angry at the world, I guess. I’m angry at Malfoy for doing the things he did to you. I’m angry that we couldn’t just together without having to worry about everything else.

“I know you didn’t leave because you didn’t care about me anymore; even if it did feel like it at the time. I also know how much I let you down when you decided to leave. I wasn’t supportive. In the beginning when we first got together I told you I would always be there for you, and I broke my promise.” He looked straight into her eyes and without missing a beat said, “And I know now is that I need you. I need my best friend back. I can’t keep living like this.”

She stared at him in guarded wonder for a few seconds with a serious look on her face. “Do you mean that?”

Slowly he swallowed and nodded his head, “I do.”

“You don’t know how much that means to me,” she said sincerely.

“Forgive me?” he asked hopefully.

“If you forgive me for hurting you.”

“I forgive you,” he said without hesitation.

Lily gave his hand a squeeze again and smiled warmly. “Then I do as well.”

Reviews 26
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear