Search:

SIYE Time:21:44 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Brighter Than Sunshine
By Keira Azul

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 21
Summary: A walk back from practice in the rain allows Ginny and Harry to break down some barriers. An HBP missing moment.
Hitcount: Story Total: 8587



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Pure fluff! :) Bringing it back to what I like best...this one is a little different and a little bit special to me though.




ChapterPrinter


“Yet Harry could not help himself talking to Ginny, laughing with her, walking back from practice with her…”
(HBP, 519 (US))

* * *


The last of the April showers stormed down in fat droplets upon the grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, forming a soggy marshland amidst the vibrant spring grass. Clouds churned menacingly in the gloomy sky, threatening to storm through the night.

Two figures sloshed steadily towards the shadowy form of an ancient castle; they were too tired from hours of physical exertion to run. The taller figure, a boy with a serious face and ebony hair, squeezed the sleeves of his soaked Quidditch robes. Water gushed through his fingers, adding to the lake that now encompassed the grounds.

Even the pouring rain didn’t bother Harry Potter, however. He was too busy pinching himself over his luck at getting to walk with the slender redheaded girl beside him — alone.

He watched, mesmerized, as Ginny Weasley brushed a soaking lock of hair out of her merrily dancing eyes. The brightness of them blocked out the gloomy weather. She was animatedly acting out a play she had run that day with a fellow Gryffindor Chaser.

“— And then I dove down behind Katie and she spun like a top, dropping the Quaffle right into my hands. I’ve never seen her move like that! I really think we could use that play in the next match, don’t you?”

The torrent of words stopped suddenly as the petite girl turned to him, face expectant.

Pulling away from those golden brown eyes was like withdrawing from a spectacular dream. Harry choked as he whipped his head forward suddenly in an attempt to hide his stare.

“Oh, yeah, it was brilliant,” he managed, cheeks reddening.

An odd expression clouded Ginny’s visage, but she turned back and trudged onward through the grass. Mud was splattered nearly to her knees, threatening to drag her down.

Why can’t she just realize how I feel? It would make things so much easier… Harry thought glumly, nearly loosing his footing when he dared to look in her direction.

He was hers, completely — no matter how hard he tried not to be for the sake of his friendship with her older brother, Ron.

Now if only she would be his too.

* * *


Ginny shook her mane of wild auburn hair, flinging water all over the covered stone steps of Hogwarts.

Fingers lightly brushed her arm, which was heavy from the wet fabric of her robes.

“We’d better get inside…you’re soaked.” The right side of Harry’s mouth twitched upward in a crooked smile. “I wouldn’t want to deal with your mum if you got pneumonia.”

“Speak for yourself — I’m the one...” All thoughts of her mother’s wrath flew from Ginny’s mind as she witnessed genuine concern filling the brilliant emerald eyes that gazed down at her from behind rain-splattered glasses.

In that one glance, all of the barriers she had built up came tumbling down, engulfing her in feelings that she thought had been buried long ago. She had been so afraid of rejection, of being hurt again, that she had denied all of Harry’s attentions and lingering looks, preferring to think of them as nothing more than friends.

This look, however, could not be ignored. It was as if the stoic boy in front of her could see straight through to her soul.

Weak-kneed and breathless, Ginny twisted away and leapt from the steps.

“No, let’s stay a while!” she called, twirling as the rain streamed down upon her.

Stripping off her heavy robes, she began to dance with a nymphish fervor. The rain cleansed all of her fears and anxiety. As she watched Harry’s smile broaden with her every move, Ginny decided to give up her impossible battle with fate.

She was now — and had always been — his.

* * *


“Come and dance with me!”

Harry couldn’t contain the laugh that welled up from deep inside of him as he watched the fiery girl in front of him skipping about with childish glee.

“I was never allowed to play in the rain,” he yelled back at her over the roar of deluge. “Too dirty.”

“Better late than never,” Ginny grinned at him maniacally as he was jerkily pulled from the steps and into the downpour with all of her strength.

She took his rough hands in her tiny ones before twirling around him, leaning backwards. Soon they were both spinning and laughing, arms straining from the weight of the other as they slid round and round in the mud. Ginny opened her mouth widely, capturing the rain on her tongue as they laughed.

Spirit soaring, Harry suddenly felt freer than he had in his entire life.

* * *


Thirty minutes later, Ginny found herself sitting on the floor of the Gryffindor common room, reveling in the warmth of the crackling fire.

“Here,” said Hermione, her brown hair even bushier than usual from the damp. She threw two blankets roughly at Ginny and Harry before plopping down on the sofa next to Ginny’s gangly brother Ron. Like his sister, Ron had a face full of freckles and shockingly red hair — though Ginny’s currently appeared much darker due to the wealth of water that was slowly streaming down her back.

“Thanks,” said the small girl before burrowing happily into the heavy blanket. The rain, mixed with the cold castle corridors, had left her chilled to the bone in a way that no warming charm could cure.

“I don’t know what you were thinking,” Hermione began in her best motherly tone as Ginny pulled the wet socks from her feet. “The two of you had better see Madame Pompfrey for some Pepper-Up Potion or you’ll be sick.”

Ginny glanced across the coffee table that separated her from her partner in crime. Harry was sitting on the floor as well; for once, his unruly black hair was lying flat to his head under the weight of all the water.

It’ll dry crazier than ever, Ginny mused affectionately. She felt a sudden urge to reach across the table and ruffle his wet head.

“Hey, don’t blame me,” Harry’s voice was innocent, but the flames illuminated a mischievous glint in his bottle-green eyes. “I tried to tell Ginny, but how do you talk to someone who wants to be ill?”

“Oh, right Harry,” Ginny kicked out at him with her bare toes. “And it was so much trouble to get you to join me. I guess you were just trying to make sure I wasn’t lonely in the hospital wing?”

A snorted laugh erupted from behind them. Ron, who had already dried off from Quidditch practice, sputtered as warm tea flew up his nose.

“M-Maybe he was hoping you’d be his nurse.” Ron’s blue eyes watered in pain but his lips were still twitching in amusement.

Harry’s face blanched briefly before turning a sizzling scarlet.

“Ronald!” Hermione yelled before thumping her friend violently in the back of the head.

“Ouch Hermione! I was just joking!”

* * *


Harry wanted to bury his face in his blanket until they all went up to bed — maybe until the end of the term.

Ron knows? How could Ron know? Now Ginny will know too! He had never been so mortified.

Then, Harry felt a tiny foot tap his leg from beneath the table, sending tingling warmth through his body. He chanced a glance at Ginny, ignoring the argument that was still raging on the sofa.

The girl wrinkled her freckled nose and rolled her eyes at her brother, telling Harry wordlessly that she though Ron was a prat.

Maybe she thinks he was just winding me up? Harry reasoned. Or maybe she does know and it doesn’t bother her… The second option brightened his mood considerably.

Emboldened, he reached under the table and gently traced his thumb across the bottom of her foot.

* * *


A quiet gasp escaped Ginny’s lips at the concealed contact. Eyes wide, her head swung up to take in Harry’s expression.

He froze under her stare, as if fearing she was going to yell at him or denounce him to the entire room.

Instead, she just turned away, blushing like she hadn’t done in years.

Merlin, do I have to be so obvious? She silently cursed the blood rushing to her cheeks.

Harry obviously took her pink cheeks as a good sign, because in a moment chills were washing over her that had nothing to do with the rainstorm.

Ginny looked up nervously at her brother and Hermione, making sure that they were still preoccupied. Although she had never expected her feet would be connected to anything romantic, the feeling of Harry’s rough thumb rubbing against the soft arch of her foot was surprisingly intimate. It was definitely something she didn’t want her brother to know about.

Apparently the argument had moved on to Hermione’s favorite subject, school work, allowing Ginny to relax a tiny bit. She turned her face back to Harry’s.

Brown eyes met green, both sets glittering with firelight and expectation. In that moment something shifted, and Ginny felt her heart racing in exhilaration. Harry’s flushed face showed that he had felt it too. They smiled shyly at each other, not yet sure of where they stood.

They remained entranced with each other long after the last drop of water had evaporated and the fire had burnt down to glowing embers. Neither noticed their friends softly leaving, conspiratorial looks upon their faces.

* * *


Weeks later, Harry Potter nervously stepped into the Gryffindor common room, knowing the results of the Quidditch Cup were only seconds away. Had his team been able to win the cup without him? Ginny...she was fantastic. It was the others he had to worry about.

Booming cheers washed over him as he entered. He barely noticed the riotous celebrations around him, however, for in the next instant Ginny was racing toward him, a blazing look upon her face.

And then she was in his arms, their lips pressed together in a breathtaking kiss. The world swirled around them; warmth flooded through their bodies. For a few blissful moments there was no war, no prophecy, no Voldemort.

He was hers, and she was his, and that was all that mattered.

A/N: This fic was inspired by the very true story of how a fiery brown-eyed girl found her own stoic green-eyed boy (after much hesitance on her part and a lot of patient waiting on his) at the tender ages of fifteen and sixteen. Years and years later, after many trials which caused him to grow up too fast, and much support and (righteous) anger at the injustice of it all by her, they are still happily together. The title was taken from a lovely song by Aqualung.
So…if you ever wondered why I’m such an adamant fan of H/G…now you know. :)
Reviews 21
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear