Search:

SIYE Time:10:00 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


OF STARS AND DUELS
By carolquin

- Text Size +

Category: The Duel Challenge (2006-5)
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 24
Summary: SIYE "The Duel" Challenge. Harry learns that Draco played a direct role in Sirius' death. When Dumbledore says that nothing can be done Harry decides it's time he take matters into his own hands.
Hitcount: Story Total: 24129; Chapter Total: 3090





Author's Notes:
This is my very first fanfiction!! I dedicate this story to Alexa, whose energy is contagious and to Rommel, whose writing inpsires me.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


CHAPTER 1: REMEMBERING AND MOVING ON

As the summer, after the incident at the Department of Mysteries, came to a close Harry sat by the window in the room that was currently occupied by Buckbeak. Tonight he wanted to reflect on everything that had happened in the last few months. Most notably, Sirius was gone; his godfather, his father figure and his source of source of courage. However, as these summer days came and went Harry was able to find comfort from two unexpected sources.

First there was Remus Lupin, the last of the Marauders. Once Harry allowed Moony in it was quite easy for Harry to open up to him. He realized that his old professor knew exactly what Harry was going through because he was going through it too. They were able to share their anger and sadness at the loss of their greatest friend but for most nights, no talking was required. They would sit together in Buckbeak’s room and stare out the window at a particularly bright star; one that Harry was sure was not there when he mapped out the heavens in divination.

That star was out this night and it brought a rare smile to Harry’s face as he remembered a conversation between him and Moony about this star.

“You know Harry, Sirius was so proud of you. You have had to face many challenges that no one your age should have to, but each time you did you stood taller and came out stronger. Your ability to put others well being before your own is a quality that not many men have, muggle or wizard” Remus paused to compose himself before finishing. “He once told me that there is no star in the heavens that could be brighter than the love and pride he has for you. I think that star was created by Sirius the night he died.”

Harry turned to look at the star and in a voice barely above a whisper he asked, “What do you mean?”

“I mean that the kind of love and pride that he held in his heart for you can not die so easily, it has its own magic. Yes, his body is gone but his soul and his feelings had to move on. That star didn’t exist until the night he died. I believe that his love for you created that star. Not even the North star shines as brightly as this one does.”

While staring at Sirius’ star, Harry finally broke down. “I miss him so much!” Moony brought him into his arms and held him there while waves of grief crashed through him. Moony swore that day that he would take up where Sirius had left off. He would be there for Harry when ever and where ever.

“Harry, are you ok?” Harry turned around to see Ginny Weasley. She was his other source of comfort and the reason Harry allowed Remus to grieve with him. He loved staring at her hair; hair blazing as fire and a temper that could make any Dementor run and hide. He silently thanked the gods the day that she slapped some sense into him…literally.

“Harry, would you like to play a game of exploding snap?” No answer came from him. “Mum made some treacle tart for you. Would you like me to bring you some?”
“What I would like is to be left alone but no one seems to understand that.” Harry’s voice was beginning to rise as he finished that statement.

“Harry, I know you are hurting but you’re not the only one who misses him. But we all care for you and we want you to know…” She never finished got to finish the rest of her sentence because Harry turned around and was standing in front of her so quickly that it took her off guard.

“You have no idea what I am feeling. You have no idea what it’s like to have people you love die because they had the nerve to love you back! You don’t know how much I am hurting right now or even how to help me. So please don’t try because you’ll only embarrass yourself!”

SMACK! “How dare you! Your right Harry, I don’t know what it’s like to have someone I love be killed but you seem to forget that there is one person in this house that is hurting just as much if not more than you. Did you forget about professor Lupin? Did you not realize that he just lost his oldest and dearest friend? Do you realize that he has lived through the deaths of your parents and now Sirius?” Ginny took in a deep breath and spoke calmly. “He wants to grieve with you Harry. He knows how alone you are feeling and he is feeling the same way. Let him in Harry and help each other move on..”

“I’m so sorry Ginny. I didn’t even think about all he’s gone through. This is just so hard for me. I don’t know how to deal with this and I’m so afraid to let anyone get close to me. What if…” Harry couldn’t finish his thought. He tried to get his breathing under control. He wanted to rage, he wanted to scream but he couldn’t get himself to release it.

Ginny walked over to him and embraced him as if her own life depended on it. He was caught off guard with her actions but he began to relax in her arms as her body heat penetrated his cold body. He slowly put his arms around her and breathed in her scent, as if it was the one thing on earth that could give him the courage to continue living. She was right, everything she had said to him, she was right.

Ginny stepped back and looked at Harry. She was satisfied with the calm look in his eyes and smiled back at him. “Now, how about I bring you some treacle tart?” Harry nodded at her, “Do you think you could get Moony to bring it up here?” She smiled, “I don’t think that should be a problem.” Harry smiled his first real smile in days then he bent his head towards Ginny and kissed her cheek. “Thank you.”

“Harry?”

He held his arms out to guide her towards him and held her as he went back to staring at the heavens. “Yes love, I’m fine. I’m just thinking about everything that has happened this summer. I find that I like staring at the stars.” She gave him a puzzled look but he quickly kissed her to let her know that he was fine.

“Well this summer sure has been interesting. After everything that has happened I still can’t believe that Fudge tried to hide the fact that Tom was back!”

“I know Gin. I’m sure it didn’t help that the Prophet ran that interview with Draco. I’m still amazed that he’s still trying to convince people that I am unbalanced and seeking attention. I can’t believe that there are still people out there that still believe him!”

“Well Harry, just remember how stupid and desperate he looked when the Ministry had no choice but to admit that Tom was indeed back. I’m sure he was thoroughly humiliated and I’m looking forward to returning to Hogwarts to see him walk into the Great Hall with his tail between his legs.”

Harry was beginning to get agitated and angry. “I’m just tired of him Gin. Here I am, the person who has to face Voldemort in a battle to end all battles, and I can’t have 5 minutes of peace in school because I have to watch my back. I’m tired of turning each corner or walking down a corridor and wondering if he has set out another trap to do me in. It also doesn’t help that Snape gives him free reign of the place. If Neville hadn’t gone back to the greenhouse that devil’s snare would have ripped me in two. Dumbledore is not much better either. He said that there was no proof that Malfoy set the devil’s snare on me even though I saw him do it! How could his word hold any value over mine? He’s the prince of Slytherin and every one knows that if he could he’d bring me to Voldemort himself! That old man is blinded by his belief that people can be redeemed but you see I don’t think he realizes that a ferret is not “people”!

Ginny tried to hide her giggle at his last statement. “I know Harry, but just remember that I did teach you my famous bat-bogey hex. Just think of all the opportunities you’ll have to practice this year.”

Harry stared at the mischievous twinkle in her eyes, “I’m just glad that I wised up before you hexed me!”

“So true Mr. Potter. Now, kiss me before we have to go and finish packing our trunks.” Harry stared at the wand that she was twirling between her fingers, “Yes ma’am!”

Reviews 24
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear