Search:

SIYE Time:0:43 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Serpent's Coven
By Angelripper

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Death, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 90
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

Harry Potter realises that returning to Hogwarts for his final year is the only way he will succeed in his quest to destroy Lord Voldemort. It is a year of darkness, horror and new discoveries. Ginny Weasley is not only the witch who possesses Harry's heart, but also the true source of his strength as a wizard. Together, they will find new powers within themselves and each other, and find that there are some things that even the darkest magic cannot break.
Hitcount: Story Total: 170709; Chapter Total: 4535







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry didn’t know if he could face the rest of the Weasleys that evening. It was painful enough walking past Ginny’s room on his way up to the top floor of the house. Rather than apparating up to Ron’s room, he had forced himself to do this, if only to hear the sound of her breathing and to catch that scent that filled him with a deep longing. He still reminded himself that her safety was more important than anything.

As he approached Ron’s bedroom door, he heard the sound of uncontrollable laughter. He opened the door and came face to face with two Ron’s, one of whom was sporting a large, spiky pink and blue hairstyle.

“Oh Harry!” said the other Ron through bouts of giggles, “You must try these! They’re one of Fred and George’s brand new creations. They’re called ‘Copycat Crackers’. You just throw one to the floor and another you appears! It’s all still being developed and improved, so at the moment the other you only lasts a few minutes and can’t do much, but you can do anything you want to them!”

He took out his wand again and transfigured his twin’s nose into a baby elephant’s trunk. Even Harry cracked a smile at this, especially as the copy of Ron seemed perfectly happy to stand there while his features were amusingly jinxed and contorted. Harry was relieved to find this distraction, and had Ron rolling on the floor laughing as his jinxes became more and more creative and ridiculous. Then suddenly, Ron’s twin gave them an oddly quizzical look, before descending into a small pile of ash on the floor.

“Oh well,” sighed Ron, “like I said, Fred and George are still working on them.”

As the two of them sat down, they could both feel the tension ease. No matter how they had argued in the past, both knew that it was a friendship that could withstand a lot of punishment. Although, Harry’s smile faded as they heard a commotion downstairs that clearly signified the arrival of one or more family members. Ron saw the look on his face and stood up.

“Don’t worry, I’ll go and find out who’s there. If they ask, I’ll just say you feel rotten after eating a puking pastel on an empty stomach.”

“Thanks Ron,” he said, grateful that he had such an understanding friend.

A second after Ron disappeared, Harry heard a shriek of surprise from the kitchen that told him it was Mrs Weasley who had just got home. He wondered idly if Professor McGonagall was still there, and also what Hermione had been researching in her room. It had already seemed like a long day, and he wasn’t prepared to be interrogated by Molly Weasley as to why he had left her only daughter heartbroken.

After what seemed an eternity of charming every small object in sight and listening to the comings and goings below him, Harry heard a knock on the door. This couldn’t be Ron. Since passing his apparition test, Ron had barely felt the need to even walk from one room to another, and this novelty would be slow to wear off.

“Come in,” he answered.

The door swung open and Professor McGonagall walked in.

“Well Harry, it’s time for me to go,” she said, smiling warmly at him “There are many things I must attend to before the new school year begins. Your friends Ron and Hermione are still downstairs talking to Molly, and the rest of the family are sitting out in the garden. I took the liberty of suggesting to them that it might be best to allow you some solitude for this evening. You, of course have the freedom to go down and talk to them if you wish.”

“Thank you Professor” he replied.

He knew he couldn’t keep this up. The Weasleys had shown him every kindness in the world, and had made him feel like part of the family. It already felt like he was abusing their hospitality.

“Now listen,” she continued, “I cannot stress enough how important it is that you stay close to your friends before returning to Hogwarts, and I would also advise a great deal of reading to arm you for the year ahead.”

Harry nodded. It sounded much like the advice he would have expected from Albus Dumbledore, and so he took it without question. He rose to his feet as she turned to go, and she turned back and hugged him tightly.

“Good luck Harry Potter!” she said, wiping a tear from her eye before disapparating.

He was just starting to feel comfortable with being alone again, when both Ron and Hermione burst into view on the very spot where the professor had just been standing.

“Would it be possible for you two to just walk upstairs?” asked Harry, recovering from the shock, “Muggles seem to manage that perfectly well, and I’d prefer not to die of a heart attack before school starts!”

“Sorry about that,” began Hermione.

“We just came up here to bring you these,” said Ron.

He held out a plate of sausage rolls and salad, which Harry took and placed beside him on the bed.

“Thanks for that. Now I just have to get my appetite back,” he said, trying to sound as optimistic as he could.

Hermione looked very concerned.

“Look, if you want to be left alone, we can — “

“No, that’s alright,” he cut in.

He was about to ask why it required two of them to bring the food up, but thought better of it as he noticed that they were holding hands. He looked down and smiled to himself as stuffed one of the sausage rolls into his mouth. Feeling uncomfortable with them simply hovering beside him, he gestured to his friends to sit down.

“So, what are they saying downstairs?” he enquired.

Ron and Hermione glanced at each other.

“I think that between us and McGonagall, we’ve just about managed to convince people that it’s not fair for them to be angry at you,” said Ron, “I think that Fred and George knew all along that you weren’t the kind of person who would want to hurt anyone in this family. Just to warn you though, mum will still want to talk to you about this tomorrow, probably dad too.”

Harry nodded in acceptance.

“Remember Harry, no matter what happens, you haven’t lost any friends,” added Hermione.

This was something Harry could only hope was true.

During the course of conversation, the subject of N.E.W.T requirements cropped up. Hermione was now in her element, and even rushed down to her room to fetch up some of the books that she had bought in advance for the final school year. This raised an almighty groan from Ron.

“Oh give it a rest Hermione! We’ve got a clear month ahead before we have to think about that, and you’re already making my head hurt.”

She gave him a reproving look.

“Ronald Weasley, do I need to remind you how many times you’ve had to copy from my notes and asked me to make the corrections in your homework? Did you stop to think that maybe a little more effort on your part might be wise this year?”

Ron snorted at this, and Harry grinned, but what was really hanging over their heads was the thought of what terror the coming year would bring. The mood needed to be brightened.

“How’s Charlie by the way?” asked Harry.

“He’s been making fun of Bill over the marriage,” said Ron “says he should be staying single and free at his age. I think he’s just jealous that Bill’s managed to hold down a steady relationship.”

“Of course he is,” Hermione put in, “I think it’s wonderful that he’s getting married. It’s brought the whole family together…well, maybe — “

She stopped short as she became aware of both her companions glaring at her. This was not simply because of the mention of Ron’s sister, but also his older brother Percy, who had become estranged to the rest of the family after taking sides with both the former and current Minister of Magic against Dumbledore after the initial claims that Lord Voldemort had returned. The last time he had set foot in the house, he had left with both face and clothes covered in Christmas dinner.

The darkness had crept up on them, and Hermione lit the lamps in the room. Ron suggested a few rounds of exploding snap, then remembered that it might not be the best idea to cause such a disturbance as the night drew in.

“You know, I’ve been thinking,” said Ron “who else do you think will be coming back to Hogwarts? You reckon there are going to be any new first years at all?”

This prompted a murmur of careful thought from the other two.

“All depends on what the parents think I suppose,” muttered Hermione, “I haven’t told mine what’s been going on at all. I don’t want to panic them if I can help it.”

It was once again Harry who thought it his duty to lift the conversation from the depths to which it was heading.

“Hmmm…I wonder if err…Lavender or Romilda will be coming back?” he ventured, trying desperately not to laugh.

Even in the dimmed light, it was clear that Ron was turning a shade of beetroot red with embarrassment. It was a mutual feeling between the three of them that mingled with amusement, and in Hermione’s case, residual jealousy.

In their previous year at Hogwarts, Ron and Lavender Brown, a fellow Gryffindor student, had a brief, predominantly hormone-driven relationship that had sparked a fiery anger in Hermione. Towards the end of this, Ron had unwittingly become infatuated with a girl called Romilda Vain after accidentally eating some chocolate cauldrons that contained a love potion intended for Harry.

After exchanging glances, it wasn’t long before they were all shaking in silent mirth at the memory of this. The general mood had definitely improved, and both Ron and Harry were disappointed when Hermione announced that she was heading off to bed.

“And you should as well,” she said, stifling a yawn before quickly adding “and before I forget, happy birthday Harry! Sorry I never said that before, there was just so much going on. Your present should be arriving tomorrow, I’m afraid I left it a little late.”

“Yeah, happy birthday mate,” said Ron hurriedly, “I got you a present, but I’ll have to get it from downstairs.”

Hermione smiled at this.

“Goodnight Ron,” she said, leaning down and giving him a soft peck on the cheek.

Noticing Harry’s smirk at this, Ron stood up, pulled Hermione back by her arm and held her close, gazing into her eyes. She looked at him in wonder and excitement.

“Well, I’m so glad you found the courage at last,” she whispered dreamily.

The gap between them closed and in the gentle glow of Ron’s bedroom, they shared a deep and passionate kiss. As he saw this exchange out of the corner of his eye, Harry felt a certain relief wash over him that this might signify the end of the petty quarrels he had found himself breaking up. He was content for his two best friends to take as long as they wanted, even when his relief was replaced by envy that he did not have that same happiness that they had now found.

After finally allowing Ron to have his face back, Hermione gave him a wink and disappeared down the stairs, leaving him staring after her like a lost puppy. Harry decided the time had come to alert Ron of his presence, and gave a discreet cough.

“Oh um, yeah,” he mumbled, seeing the grin on his friend’s face, “I’ll be back in a second”, and with that, he disapparated once again.

True to his word, he returned moments later with a present in his hand.

“Many happy returns mate,” he smiled.

Harry thanked him and tore open the wrapping paper to find a large bottle of Ogden’s Old Firewhiskey. He beamed at Ron.

“Don’t worry, this stuff isn’t poisoned!” Ron assured him.

After sharing a birthday drink, at which they had both simultaneously winced as it hit the back of their throats, they rolled over on to their beds. Harry could immediately feel the tide of sleep that was about to take him.

“Ron?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m really happy for both of you”

“Thanks”

Harry peacefully drifted off, and felt like he was floating through clouds. It was a very comforting feeling, and he reached ahead of him, as though he was trying to pull his way through water.

Then suddenly, the clouds parted and he could see the ground far below him. Before he could strain his eyes at a closer look at where he was, he felt a searing hot pain cut through the lightening bolt scar on his forehead, and all at once, he was falling. Slowly at first, then faster and faster he plummeted to earth, the wind whistling harshly in his ears. Seeing how rapidly he was approaching the ground, he was almost certain that he would be killed, but as he braced himself for impact, he stopped dead about ten feet above, and floated gradually down to land.

He lay with his eyes closed on a patch of soft grass and let his fingers rake through it until he had the strength to pull himself up into a seating position. His back met what felt like a rough stone wall, and for the first time, he rubbed his eyes and looked about him. He was sitting in a graveyard.

Trying to remain calm, he turned his head this way and that, until he noticed that he was not alone. There was a shadowed figure propped up against a headstone a little way away from him. He crawled over to get a closer look.

“Hello?”

The figure didn’t respond. Moving cautiously, he reached out and prodded the shoulder that protruded from behind the stone. This caused the figure to fall sideways to the ground, showing off dirty and faded Hogwarts robes with the tattered badge of Hufflepuff. The face was a sickening blend of green, yellow and grey, having obviously been left out for the elements to do their worst. Harry realised in horror that he was looking at the decaying corpse of Cedric Diggory.

“But…but I took you back…I took you back!” he protested.

With these words, he found himself frozen to the spot, unable to move a muscle. He tried to reach for his wand, but every one of his limbs was motionless and his cries of panic silent. A shadow was slowly cast out in front of him, though he could not see whoever or whatever was projecting it. Then he heard the voice. Cold and malevolent, soulless and inhuman. The voice that made his scar prickle with each and every syllable.

“So you have come at last,” it said, “I really can’t tell you what a pleasure it is to see you again. The honour is truly all mine.”

And with that, the shadow lengthened, and cloaked figure descended in front of him.
He was now staring into the piercing, serpentine eyes of Lord Voldemort.

“It has been far too long, Harry Potter, but patience can be a wonderful virtue. What can I say? It has been an interesting war. So much lost on both sides, so much unnecessary suffering. But here we are in the aftermath, and I honestly couldn’t have foreseen such a perfect ending to it all.”

A smile spread across the Dark Lord’s face as he saw the anger grow in Harry’s eyes.

“One Head of Hogwarts passing much the same way as the one before her, a tragically short-lived position.” His smile then faded, almost to a look of regret, “But far more lamentable was the destruction of Hogwarts itself. I wish things had not taken such a turn for the worse. A place of such enchanting history lying in ruins, a terrible shame indeed.”

Even if Harry could have spoken at this point, he wouldn’t have said a word. What could he say, or even think, about what he had just heard? Professor McGonagall dead? Hogwarts destroyed? There were no words that he could find.

“But what of the past, when I’m sure that you are far more anxious to know how things stand at present,” he leered harshly at Harry, “I have lost many followers, I have been caused a great deal of trouble, but those who proved themselves worthy of being in my service still remain, and shall be rewarded accordingly.”

At this point, Harry felt a hand grab him roughly by the shoulder and drag him across the grass, until he was left lying on his side in front of a small cluster of graves. He could feel his mind swimming and his insides being torn to pieces as he read the names on the stones. The foremost was inscribed with the name ‘Nymphadora Tonks’. Beside this was the grave of Hermione Grainger, and other names included Arthur Weasley, two of his sons, Fred and Bill, Dennis Creevey, and Fleur Delacour. Behind these, almost as an afterthought, stood the grave of Ron Weasley. Harry still did not stir, but the tears ran freely from his eyes.

“See how your friends lie united as they rot beneath us? Truth be told, it’s better than any of them deserve, the muggle-loving filth!” spat Voldemort “But I think you’ll find these two particularly interesting.”

Harry looked to where Voldemort’s long bony finger was pointing. Set into the soil a little distance away stood two more stones. Two more names. Harry Potter and Ginny Weasely. Between the stones, resting a hand on each stood the pale, bitter faced form of Severus Snape.

“I do hope you approve, Harry,” Voldemort smiled, “Marble of the highest quality, to be sure. But where are my manners? We have a guest with us who claims to be an acquaintance of yours.”

Harry could practically feel his blood boiling inside his veins as he saw the unconscious shape of Ginny floating towards them a couple of feet above the ground from behind another grave, guided by Snape’s wand. Never had Harry known this kind of rage and agony. If he could move, he couldn’t imagine any dark magic that would have prevented him from tearing both Snape and Voldemort limb from limb. Ginny stopped in mid air a few yards away from him.

“I must confess that she put up a brave struggle” Voldemort continued, “so much so, that I thought it unwise to end her existence outright. Although, you’ll be pleased to hear that it took a considerable amount of torture before her body finally gave in, and it should be of some comfort to know that she was screaming your name before her voice failed her.”

He then sat Harry upright and looked him in the eye.

“But most of all,” he whispered, “it should please you to know that she is still alive. I would put her out of her misery myself, but I think it would be more appropriate for you to have that honour. After all, you came here to murder, did you not? I would not deny you that privilege before I send you to join your comrades.”

Voldemort then got to his feet, drew his wand and pointed it at Harry. All of a sudden, Harry found that he could move. He stretched his arms and legs out, but for some reason, he did not feel inclined to attack Voldemort as he would have wanted. Instead he felt a sensation of lightness and ease come over him and calmly stood up. Somewhere in his head, there was a voice that he could not help but listen to, telling him to draw his wand. This was immediately followed, however, by a voice from his memory. When had he felt like this before? It had been during his fourth year at Hogwarts, in a Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson. That calm, floating feeling. The voice from his memory was becoming more urgent and insistent.

“Remember Harry. Remember how he tried to control you!” it said.

An ever-more commanding voice then spoke against it.

“Draw your wand boy, and the suffering will be no more.”

“Imperius! The Imperius Curse, Harry! Don’t you remember?”

“Draw your wand NOW!”

Harry’s hand twitched violently, with the tips of his fingers trembling against the handle of his wand as the voices continued to do battle inside his head.

“Draw your wand and destroy the girl! Do it now!”

“No Harry! Remember how you tried to fight it then? You can fight it now!”

“Do as I say, boy, or it will be the worse for both of you! Let me guide your wand!”

As he stared before him, he realised that his wand was already drawn, and pointing directly at Ginny. Voldemort was now straining to keep the curse in place, and shocked that Harry was able to resist in any way.

“You know the words you must speak, so speak them! You have the power to kill, so use it!”

“Don’t do it Harry! Break it! You know you can fight him!”

“KILL HER!!!”

“FIGHT IT HARRY! YOU LOVE HER!!”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!” Harry screamed, and fell forwards, dropping his wand in front of him. He felt a weakness that kept him from getting to his feet. Looking up, he saw Voldemort staring at him, utterly furious, but still with an air of grim satisfaction. Harry tried to smile back at him, no longer caring for the consequences.

“As you wish!” The Dark Lord seethed.

He turned on Ginny.

AVEDA KEDAVRA!” he shouted.

Harry looked away and wept as he saw the familiar beam of green light and felt the rush of air against his face. In what seemed like slow motion, Ginny Weasley fell dead into a crumpled heap on the ground. At that moment, a torturing stab of pain shot through Harry’s scar, and he clenched both hands to his forehead. Voldemort returned his attention to the boy before him, mustering every scrap of hatred and malice that he could. A cruel, twisted smile spread across his face.

“Oh, the heart,” he said, “Such a treacherous organ, and such a dangerous thing in which to place all your hopes. Harry, please enlighten me. Where was yours when these poor pathetic creatures needed you most?”

The pain in Harry’s head burned more fiercely as Voldemort pointed his wand at the boy’s chest.

“…”

Harry looked up after a few seconds and realised that Voldemort, try as he might, couldn’t utter the curse. With each failed attempt in fact, a look of terror began to show in his eyes, until he started to stumble backwards in panic. Harry could not believe what he was seeing, nor could he understand how the pain in his scar was lessening. Slowly, a veil of tranquillity spread through Harry’s mind and he stood up.
He could hear another voice in his head now. One that soothed and comforted him.

“Harry. Harry?” it said.

Struggling slightly to do so, he slowly opened his eyes. He was lying in bed, sweating heavily, and shivering a little. He looked up into the eyes of a beautiful red-headed witch who was gently stroking his forehead. She was alive, and he was now trying to fight back more tears.

“It’s okay Harry, you were just having a bad dream,” she whispered calmly.

“Ginny, I…”

“Shhh,” she pressed a finger to his lips.

All he could think was that she had just saved his life, and given that everyone else was presumably still alive, she had saved them as well.

“Harry, come with me,” she said, rising from the bed “There’s something I want to show you.”
Reviews 90
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear