Search:

SIYE Time:14:00 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Stoicism (and the Breakdown of...)
By iluvfanfics

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 61
Summary: COMPLETED. When something hurts too much, when it distracts you from your purpose, it's better to push it away--right? A short story about Harry and Ginny's journey after Dumbledore's funeral. Sometimes, happiness just has to wait.
Hitcount: Story Total: 37803; Chapter Total: 5938







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Christmas passed and with it the excitement of a New Year. February bled into March, and still they searched, methodically eliminating possibilities and if they were lucky, an actual Horcrux. Their search took them to places Harry had never seen before but he was too busy to enjoy them. He felt himself turning hard, felt his face settle into a permanent stony countenance and his words grew harsh without him meaning them to be. He knew that his friends were worried about the impervious barrier he’d put around himself. They knew him too well to be fooled by his well-practiced smiles and his rehearsed laughter.

Ginny’s birthday passed, and Harry spent a lonely night underneath the stars, allowing himself one moment of regret as he missed her coming of age. Part of him wondered if she would seek them out now that she was old enough and a traitorous part of him wished for it. He immediately shut that thought away in the box inside his mind, just as Ginny had suggested he do so long ago. He didn’t have any more dreams with her and assumed his subconscious had satisfied itself with the one it had allowed him. Truthfully it was easier if he didn’t see her. The monster inside of his chest that roared so spectacularly when she was near was practically dead, hibernating away in his own special box.

Just before his 18th birthday, Harry, Ron and Hermione were in Diagon Alley, covered in cloaks so they wouldn’t be recognised. They were making their way to Knockturn Alley to track down the final Horcrux, save Nagini, when the air suddenly went cold and the sky turned dark.

“Dementors!” the cry went out. “Dementors in Diagon Alley!”

Harry cursed and herded them all into a nearby alley. Hermione shoved the hood of her cloak off and faced him, eyes blazing. “We have to help, Harry! We have to fight. There are innocent people out there!”

Harry’s jaw worked furiously. They couldn’t afford to be seen. If Death Eaters were there they would try and capture him or kill them all. If they were seen by the Order or the Ministry, questions would be asked that could not be answered. He glanced at Ron who was watching him with a frown on his face. Harry knew the old Harry, the one that had existed before they began this quest, would not have hesitated to help. But the new Harry had to think about the greater good.

“Harry-” Ron began in a fierce voice.

“Fine,” Harry snapped. “But stick together and don’t let anyone see you.” His friends breathed a sigh of relief and they moved together, a well-oiled unit, out of the alley. Death Eaters had arrived and they were already firing spells into the crowds. Harry’s stomach twisted at the slaughter of defenceless people and suddenly he was really glad he’d decided they would fight. He was itching to let out some of his anger.

He fought with a vengeance, as did Ron and Hermione. The tension of the past months slipped away with each Death Eater that was stunned, bound and left for the Aurors who were arriving on the scene in waves. The three of them kept their faces covered as much as they could. Harry thought he saw tall redheads fighting vigorously down the Alley and as he dodged a poorly aimed spell, it occurred to him that Ginny might be there. It was July and school was out, she easily could have accompanied her family to Diagon Alley.

Almost as if the moment was timed, the crowds parted and he saw her, just a few feet away. She was fighting Death Eaters with a grace that could not be taught, and time slowed as he watched her dodging and leaping over spells. She had a wand in each hand and was firing spells and hexes out of both. She moved silently, almost as if she was dancing, her red hair flying around her with an unseen breeze. She was taller, he noted, and her curves were more pronounced but it was all overshadowed by the look of fierce concentration on her face as she battled.

McGonagall really was an excellent teacher.

He was startled by a sudden scream to his left and looked up with horror to see three Dementors descending on the area where Ginny was fighting. Her back was to them and she couldn’t see them, locked as she was in a fierce struggle with a Death Eater. She finally lashed out with her leg, kicking the Death Eater in the chest and stunning him before he hit the ground. Ropes shot out of the wand in her right hand and wrapped around her opponent. It was all happening too fast but Harry took a moment to realise that Ginny wouldn’t turn around in time to defend herself from the Dementors. One of them in particular seemed to be headed straight towards her.

Harry lowered his shield and quickly stunned the two Death Eaters he’d been toying with. He turned from the fight and moved through the battle towards Ginny. He didn’t dare call out her name less any of the Death Eaters, who didn’t know who she was, realise what a prize she would make for their Dark Lord. He also didn’t want to draw unwanted attention to himself. Instead, he lifted his wand and shouted “Expecto Patronum!” the memory of the dream they’d shared in December bursting to the forefront of his brain as he cast the spell.

Ginny turned just in time to see a glowing white stag plow into the Dementor that had been creeping up behind her. The stag’s antlers tossed the Dementor away and Ginny watched, mouth open and chest heaving, as the stag bowed its head to her before trotting back to a hooded figure a few feet away. The figure reached out a hand and patted the stag on the head before the Patronus vanished. Ginny’s heart leapt in her throat, and time stood still as the figure pushed back the hood of his cloak. He pushed it back just a little but it was enough for Ginny to see familiar green eyes and a shock of messy black hair. Relief flooded into every cell in her body. He was alive. It was enough for right now.

Harry smiled sardonically at Ginny, and she nodded her head sharply at him, her eyes wide with something he knew she should be suppressing, especially now with their enemies so close. He frowned at her and she immediately schooled her features into a careful mask of disinterest. She allowed her eyes to sweep the length of him, and he took a moment to get an eyeful of her before he smoothed the hood back over his head.

Ginny heard a shout to her right and turned her head to see her mother and her brother Bill making their way towards her. The battle was winding down; she knew Harry would not want to be seen here, by either side. She swung back around to face him and mouthed to him: “Run!”

Harry hesitated, not wanting to leave her while Death Eaters were still standing but she motioned at him urgently.

“I’ll be okay,” she mouthed at him. “Go!”

He nodded. Before he turned back to Ron and Hermione however, he let his right hand press for just an instant over his heart. It was a gesture so casual that anyone watching would think it was just a slight of hand, but he knew she would get the message.

Her eyes flared and she took a precious chance to say out loud, “I know.”

Her voice was low but Harry heard it. His eyes locked on hers, he grabbed Ron and Hermione who were still fighting, and Apparated away.

Reviews 61
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear