Search:

SIYE Time:8:35 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Only Way
By Mojomig

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:None
Genres: Angst
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 13
Summary: The only way requires sacrifice. Sacrifice of the soul. Warnings and ratings to be on the safe side
Hitcount: Story Total: 4113



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Praise be to Kevin




ChapterPrinter


Huge waves crashed onto the jagged rocks forty or fifty feet below. The full moon shone, partially showing through a break in the clouds and reflecting its ghostly light on the turbulent sea. The heat of the July sun was long gone, leaving a coolness that hung on the coastal wind. The scrubby heathland that topped the cliffs was hard, dry and dusty.

A single promontory of rock jutted out into the sea. Atop, a lone figure sat, crossed-legged and motionless. The salty spray from the crashing waves stung his eyes and tasted harsh on his tongue. His long black hair blew into his eyes, before being brushed away. The young man lifted his eyes to gaze at the moon, whose pale light revealed a pained expression on the young man's face.

"Be safe, Remus," whispered the man.

An unusual collection of items were strewn around him, on the cliff top. A small, goblet, that perhaps once shone brightly, bore the faintest semblances of a proud and glorious history. A heavy, ugly locket attached to a chain was blackened and tarnished, it's polished silver nothing more than a faded memory. A tattered book, perhaps a journal, also lay on the short, brown grass. Its pages were torn and bent, the precise and decorative writing long since faded. The words Rowena Ravenclaw, embossed in gold leaf, were peeling and dull.

The fourth item, in distinct contrast, was the body of a large snake. Preserved in an unnatural death, eyes closed, the once mercurial reptile was now cold and still. The final item was a second book, which was placed a few inches in front of the man's position. The front cover uppermost, the words soul, horcrux, and immortal were all that remained of a once impressive visage.

How long Harry Potter had been there, he did not know. Time lost all meaning in comparison to the road he knew he must take. The darkest path beckoned. Death, blood and sacrifice were to be his tools. It was the only way.

Harry's thoughts wandered back through his past, stopping at his first kill. Lost in the memory, he savoured each sensation all over again. He tasted the blood as it splattered across his face. He heard the scream in his ears and saw the man fall, his arm torn off at the shoulder. He remembered the invigoration, the rush of adrenaline as his opponent ceased to live. He remembered it all, as though it were yesterday.

Although that first kill had been in self-defence, the memory of the bloodlust that accompanied it was unmistakeable. In pursuit of the horcruxes, Harry had been required to kill on many occasions. Every time, it got a little bit easier. During this moment of introspection, he realised that he had come to enjoy it. Harry Potter, saviour of the wizarding world, the Boy Who Lived, the Chosen One, took sick, perverse pleasure, but gratification nonetheless, from taking life. To him, servants of the Dark Lord were a breed of lower class citizens that required extermination.

His mind drifted again, and explored the role of his 'friends' in recent times. Sure, they had all been together when Harry made his first kill. Ron was stoic. The matter needed no discussion; it was kill or be killed. Hermione had been repulsed by Harry's brutality. Ginny had been accepting. Only she had been touched by Voldemort, as he had. Only she could truly understand the despair, the sense of taintedness that he felt, through his connection to Voldemort. And so she had stood by him. Accepting of his decision to continue killing. Only she understood his hate.

His treacherous mind lingered on her, weakening his resolve, questioning his decision. Could she love him if he followed this path into hell? Would he still be the same person? They had given their love to each other with every ounce of passion within them — should such love be thrown away for the greater good? Maybe there was another way. He could keep searching.

No! They had searched for two years. Two long, wearying years of searching, fighting, killing, and for some — dying. There was no other way. Harry did not have the poisonous tooth of a basilisk. Dumbledore had never gotten around to explaining about the ring. Besides, Harry did not have Dumbledore's power, and even he had been left debilitated and disabled. Shuddering at the thought of Dumbledore's blackened and shrivelled hand, Harry's determination strengthened.

He reached for the book that lay just in front of him. It had been found during a search of the oldest crates in the depths of the Black family vault. Harry flicked casually through its pages, seeing the words but not reading them. Every one of the disturbing and harrowing words was etched in to his brain by his revulsion as he read it, only a few nights ago.

Yes, it was the only way. Harry would never be able to destroy Voldemort's horcruxes until he understood. Understood the magic, understood the emotions and understood the exhilaration. There was no hope to undo what he did not fully understand. So, he would walk down the rocky path to enlightenment. There were no more choices and no other roads. The life of one more person and the sacrifice of his own salvation would be a small price to pay.

Harry Potter stood up slowly. As he did so he reached into his robes and pulled out a small photograph, in a golden frame. The smiling faces of his parents smiled up at him as he regarded them. Yes, this would be perfect; a fragment of Harry's soul would reside with his parents for all eternity. The picture was replaced, securely within his robe.

Conjuring a sack, Harry placed the cup, locket and journal inside. He shrank the body of Nagini before placing it inside the sack also. Harry looked up at the sky once more. Clouds still floated slowly in front of the moon, hiding it from view. Looking up into the heavens Harry Potter whispered, "Please forgive me. It is the only way." Then he apparated away.

To number four, Privet Drive.

---
Reviews 13
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear