Search:

SIYE Time:10:08 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Fighting Fate
By Fey Falyyn

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:None
Genres: Comedy
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 59
Summary: Sequel to Fighting Harry. Fourteen years have passed since Harry Potter defeated Voldemort, and his life is perfect in almost every way. He went on to marry the witch of his dream, become the youngest-ever Head of International Auror affairs, and even have a son who loves flying as much as he does. There's just one problem. And her name is Meridy.
Hitcount: Story Total: 42401; Chapter Total: 2863





Author's Notes:
Hope you like!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter



She couldn’t ask Jack to go, Meridy realized, as she raced to the owlery. They might want to hurt him; Gary’s warning still rang in her ears. And Aurelie was too tall. There was no one else she could ask. Allison wouldn’t want to anger her housemates, and Meridy wasn’t sure Gary would want to either, if he even could be convinced to interfere. No, it would have to be her.

Dear Uncle Remus, she wrote hurriedly. I know you’re with Madeleine, but I’m hoping you have the Marauder’s Map with you. See, I heard –no need to give the details; he wouldn’t like to know that she’d been snooping around– that a group of older Slytherins are going to meet Sara Lawson tonight at midnight in the West Tower. They’ve posted lookouts, so she’ll go alone, and they’ve had someone following her all day so she won’t tell anyone.

Meridy nibbled her thumbnail, and decided to tell the truth. I’m going to replace her, if I can figure out how to charm my hair blonde, she wrote. Could you look at the Map at midnight, to see who’s with me in the West Tower? One of their names is Travers, I heard. But if we figure out who the others are, we can stop them from harassing muggleborns.

She hesitated, then added one last paragraph. And, well, if I’m there too long, could you Floo Professor McGonagall or someone to come check on things? I might be in trouble. Don’t do that unless it’s been at least an hour, though, please. Otherwise I’ll just get detention for no reason, and Dad will be mad.

Thanks, Uncle. I appreciate it.

Meridy


Now all she had to do was pray that Alex could get it delivered before midnight. Still, if worse came to worst, the Evil Trio (as she had secretly named them) should realize pretty quickly that she wasn’t Sara. She would tell them that she didn’t agree with their terrorizing young muggleborns; it was stupid and mean. They probably wouldn’t hurt her.

She hoped.

No, her name was Melissa Black for now, and all the Blacks were purebloods. And most of them had been in Slytherin, except for her father’s famous godfather, Sirius. She should be fine.

Maybe.

Shoving the doubts out of her mind, Meridy went off to figure out how she was going to turn her hair blonde.

“Pst!” she hissed that day after lunch, when Aurelie passed by her exiting the great hall.

Aurelie looked over, and saw her standing to the side. “You go on,” she said to her friends, and waved absently at her younger cousin. “I forgot I told Melissa I’d tutor her today.”

Her friends looked confused, but continued on, giggling and gossiping.

Tutoring?” Meridy asked, insulted. “I do not need tutoring!”

“It was the first thing I thought of,” Aurelie said, exasperated. “Now, what is it?”

“Well, I kind of need a favor,” Meridy said sheepishly.

Aurelie eyed her. “You have some convincing to do–I still haven’t forgiven you for beating Ravenclaw in Quidditch.”

Meridy tried her best to look ashamed, but only ended up looking rather pleased with herself. Then she sobered, remembering her mission. “It’s urgent,” she said. “I need to make my hair long and blonde for a few hours tonight, around midnight.”

Aurelie raised an eyebrow, perfectly articulate.

“I can’t explain,” Meridy said. “It’s–it’s complicated. I need to look like someone else for a little bit. Look, can you just tell me the charms?”

Her cousin sighed, and tossed her hair back. “Here,” she said, pulling a piece of parchment out of her bag and writing something down on them. “The first one will lengthen your hair, and the second one with lighten it. You should practice on a doll or a stuffed animal first,” she instructed. “They take practice to get right.”

“Thanks,” Meridy said, tucking the parchment into her bag. “How long will they last?”

“About half an hour,” Aurelie said, and then hesitated. “They are difficult, though. There is one more option that I can think of. It might be easier for you.”

“What?” Meridy asked, eagerly.

Aurelie seemed to struggle with herself before opening her mouth. “I shouldn’t tell you this,” she said. “But Professor Snape has his O.W.L. students making Polyjuice Potion right now. At least one of the brews should be close to being complete.”

Meridy’s eyes opened wide. That was an option she hadn’t even considered. “Are they in the Potions classroom?”

“Yes,” her cousin told her. “But Snape has them carefully monitored. There will be spells set up, to alert anyone who tries to remove any after hours.”

Meridy drooped. She didn’t have a prayer of getting past all of the curses Snape undoubtedly had set up.

However,” Aurelie said. “I have Potions in twenty minutes. I would be willing to procure a small amount for you. For a price.”

Meridy was cautious. “What do you want?”

Aurelie tossed her head. “Some more of that scented Anti-stress lotion you gave me for Christmas. Only this time, I want lily and violet, not larkspur. And in a handsome flask.”

Meridy almost smiled. “Of course, Ar-lee,” she said. “Thank you. I appreciate it. Can I pick it up tonight, about 11:30 outside the Ravenclaw Common Room?”

“Why–?” Aurelie cut herself off. “No, I don’t want to know. One more condition. No telling anyone, especially not your father or Grandmama, where you got it if whatever you’re doing blows up in your face.”

“It would break family code,” Meridy assured her. “And I’d do the same for you, Ar-lee, you know it. After all, I never told about that time when–”

“No need to bring it up again,” the older girl said abruptly, cutting her off. “You’re right, of course. I can trust you. I will see you later tonight.”

It took all of Meridy’s effort not to spring into a victory dance when her cousin walked away.


* * * *


She’d done none of her homework. Meridy worried about this as she pulled her cloak on, a simple black one she’d had before Hogwarts, without the Gryffindor trim on the sleeves.

Oh, well, she thought. It’s almost the weekend. I can get caught up on it then.

“Going somewhere?” Jacquie asked her. She was sitting on her bed reading. Nellie, Krista, and Alyssa were already asleep. “It’s after curfew.”

Meridy fought to keep her expression smooth. “I left something down in the common room,” she lied weakly.

“So you’re grabbing your wand and a cloak, then?” Jacque asked.

Drat. She was a terrible liar. “Okay, so I’m sneaking out, but I’m going to be really careful,” she said in a rush.

“Is this why you’ve been acting weird all day?” Jacquie asked her.

Meridy nodded, slightly shamefaced. “I–I’mgoingtogotryandstopsomeolderkidsfr ompickingonaRavenclaw,” she said in a rush.

“Sorry, but I could have sworn you just said you were going to stop some older kids from picking on a Ravenclaw,” Jacquie said with a frown.

Meridy could tell that Jacquie didn’t think that this was a good idea. So she shook her head, pink from the confession, and tried another tact. “No, I, uh…I said I’m going to meet an older kid from Ravenclaw.”

“A boy?” Jacquie asked.

Meridy nodded, silently. Her cheeks were still red, lending credibility to the lie.

“Well, good luck,” Jacquie said. “Try not to get caught; Gryffindor’s still ahead in points.”

“I’ll be careful,” Meridy promised.

“Oh, and Mel?”

“Yes?” She stopped mid-motion.

Jacquie smiled. “You have to tell me about it tomorrow.”

“Mmm,” Meridy said, and ran for the door.


* * * *


Jack in the Common Room again, playing chess with Jonathon. Meridy hesitated, and then looked at her watch. It was 11:25; she still had plenty of time.

Still she hesitated, looking at Jonathon. Maybe she shouldn’t say anything…

You’re going to go talk to the Evil Trio in the West Tower after curfew, she reminded herself. You can certainly go up and talk to your cousin in front of Jonathon Troy.

Still, her heart beat a little bit wildly as she approached them. “Jack, I need a favor,” she said, trying not to look at Jonathon.

Jack looked up from his game, and noted her plain cloak and wand out. “What’s this?” he asked.

“Umm,” Meridy said, wondering how best to explain. “Well, I can’t say, exactly, but, umm, could you stay up till…say, one or two, and if I’m not back by then, go wake up a prefect or McGonagall? I know it’s a school night. I’ll owe you the next Circe Chocolate Frog card I find,” she added, inspired.

“Me–Mel,” Jack said. “Where are you going?”

“The West Tower,” she said. “It’s a long story–I don’t have time to explain. You can’t come looking for me, though. Send someone else.”

She would not risk Jack getting hurt.

“Whatever you’re doing, don’t do it,” Jack advised. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, but it sounds to me like it’s going to get you into trouble.”

“Hear the wisdom, little first year,” Jonathon drawled from the other couch. Meridy felt her face grow warm.

“I have to do this,” she said. “Alone,” she added, when Jack opened his mouth. “I just wanted to let someone know where I was, in case something goes wrong.”

“Why not one of your year-mates?” Jonathon asked.

It was Jack who answered. “We go way back,” he said, nodding at Meridy. “Played together as kids. And if you get injured before the Slytherin game and can’t play, I’ll murder you,” he added, sounding uncannily like Elliot. “And don’t get caught by Filch, either.”

“I won’t. I’ll be careful,” she promised. “I shouldn’t lose House points in any case–I sent an owl to Moony explaining a few hours ago. But it might not reach him before tomorrow.” She was careful to use a name that Jonathon probably wouldn’t know.

It worked, for he looked confused. “Moony?” he asked.

“A family friend,” Jack said. He now looked worried. “Maybe I should come with you…”

“No!” Meridy protested, just as Jonathon said “Not without finishing this game, mate. I’ve almost got you in check.”

And Jack looked back at the board. Like his father, he was competitive about chess. “Do not,” he contradicted. Then he looked at Meridy.

“Go on,” he said. “I’ll stay up, and expect a full explanation. Try not to do anything dumb.”

“Of course,” Meridy said, and dashed to the portrait hole before he could change his mind.


* * * *


Remus Lupin was awoken at 11:35 by something tapping on his window. Wearily–he’d just fallen asleep–he rose from bed.

“Remy?” his wife asked groggily from her side.

Remus yawned. “An owl,” he said, and opened the window to let it in. He frowned when he saw that it was Meridy’s Alex.

Quickly, he tore open the letter and read. And began to dash around getting dressed.

“What is it?”

“I’ve got to go back up to Hogwarts, Dora,” he said as he dressed. “You know how a group of older Slytherins have been targeting muggleborns? Well, Meridy has somehow ferreted them out, and is going to be meeting them in,” he looked at his watch. “twenty-five minutes, apparently impersonating a muggleborn girl. Of all the half-baked schemes…”

Tonks sat up. “Didn’t you say they’d broken one girl’s wrist?” she asked in alarm.

“Yes, and other things that we haven’t been able to catch, no doubt,” he said. “We’ve been trying to discover the perpetrators, but they’re clever. The students they target refuse to say anything about them, and from what we can determine they never met students at the same place or the same time twice. But this time we have a location and a time to identify them. Meridy wants me to look at the Map when she meets them, so they can be caught.”

“Not a bad idea,” his wife mused. “She’s always been so bright. But it’s risky of her. Harry will have kittens if he finds out.”

“Yes, well, that’s why I’m going to try and sort it out before someone gets hurt,” Remus said. He was worried. “The last muggleborn they targeted transferred to Beauxbatons…”

“I’m coming with you,” Tonks said, swinging out of bed.

“No,” Remus told her. “Madeleine’s fever only just broke–one of us should stay with her. I’m Meridy’s Head of House, it’s my responsibility to keep her from harm.”

“She’s my goddaughter too,” Tonks said stubbornly. “I’ll go floo Molly to stay with the kids.”

Remus was too worried to argue. “All right, then,” he said. “But I can’t wait for you; she’s meeting them in less than an hour.”

“Go, on, then,” she said, and kissed him hard. “Go get the bastards who want to hurt our Mer. I’ll be right behind you.”

Remus nodded, and Apparated to Hogsmeade.


* * * *


Meridy hurried through the halls, Disillusioned. In her hands she held a map of Hogwarts that Uncle Fred had sent her with all of the WWW products. All of the exits were marked in case she ever wanted to sneak down into Hogsmeade. Right now, though, she was mostly interested finding the Ravenclaw Common Room.

Finally, she stopped in front of a portrait of a golden eagle soaring over a mountain peak. Unless she was mistaken, this was it. Meridy unDisillusioned herself, and settled back behind a suit of armor to wait.

It didn’t take long. After only a few minutes, the portrait swung open, and Aurelie swept out, holding a small bottle. Meridy stepped out from her hiding place. Aurelie jolted.

“Meredith,” she sighed. “You startled me.”

After so many months of being ‘Mel,’ it was odd to hear someone say her name. “Sorry,” Meridy said, and reached for the bottle.

Aurelie pulled it back. “Wait,” she said. “You still need to add in a hair of the person you wish to become. You will take on their appearance for precisely one hour, and at the end of that hour, you will become yourself again.”

“I know,” Meridy said. She had looked it up the library after dinner.

Her older cousin eyed her suspiciously, but handed the bottle over. “I’ll expect my payment within the month. Be careful,” she ordered imperiously, before turning and striding away.

Meridy sighed. Everyone said that to her.

She didn’t have to wait more than a minute longer before the portrait creaked open again, and a small girl crept out. This late at night, there wasn’t much traffic in and out.

“Sara,” Meridy whispered, to get her attention.

“You!” Sara said, spotting her. “What are you doing here? You can’t go with me.”

Meridy pulled her into the shadowy nook. “No,” she said. “I’m going to go instead of you.”

“Instead of me? But how? They’ll get angry,” Sara said.

“They won’t know,” Meridy replied, and held up the bottle. “This is Polyjuice Potion. It’ll make me look like you for an hour, if I put one of your hairs in it.”

Sara’s mouth dropped open. “Really?”

“Really,” Meridy assured her.

“That would be great,” Sara said. But she seemed to be confused. “I just don’t understand why you would want to, though. Aren’t you scared?”

“A little,” Meridy admitted. “But see, I’ve been trying to find out about these older kids for a while. I think how they’re treating muggleborns is unfair and dead wrong. And I can tell you’re scared to go.”

Sara bit her lip. “I didn’t eat anything, all day,” she said. “I’ve never been so scared before, ever. Not even when my rabbit almost got eaten by a hawk.”

“Then go back inside,” Meridy urged her. “There’s no reason you should have to go if you’re scared.”

“But what if they realize you aren’t me? What if they want to talk for longer than an hour, and you change back?” Sara asked.

Meridy bit her lip. “Then I’ll tell them the truth,” she said. “That I heard them talking to you and decided to interfere. I’ll lie and tell them you wanted to come, but that I jinxed you and you couldn’t.”

“Won’t they be mad at you for that?”

“I’m a pure blood,” Meridy said. “They won’t hurt me.” She hoped.

But Sara seemed to believe her. “Thank you,” she gushed. “I was so scared…”

“It’s okay. I wanted to talk to them anyway,” Meridy said. “I need one of your hairs.”

“Okay.” Sara tugged on a blonde strand and winced as it tugged free. “Here you go,” she said, handing it over.

“Thanks,” Meridy said. She checked her watch. “I need to get going. Lie low tonight, all right?”

Sara nodded. “Are you sure about this?” she asked.

“Yes.” Meridy didn’t mention the knots that were starting to form in her stomach.

“Good luck, then,” Sara said. “See you later.”

“See you,” Meridy said. She waited until Sara was gone back through the portrait hole, and then uncorked the small flask Aurelie had given her and poked the hair inside.

“I really hope this was prepared correctly,” she muttered, and then tossed her head back and poured the potion into her mouth.

Almost immediately, she doubled over, fighting the urge to retch. A splash of potion landed on her robes when the flask broke in her hand as she clenched it.

That was disgusting, she thought, even as she felt her body begin to change.

The movements underneath her skin rippled unpleasantly. Meridy’s vision grayed, and when the spinning stopped she was on her knees.

Carefully, she rose, and examined herself. Her arms were more spindly now–Sara clearly didn’t have Quidditch practice to tone them. Long blonde hair spilled over her shoulders.

I guess it worked, Meridy thought, and looked down at her wrist. Twenty minutes till twelve. She had to hurry.

She didn’t bother to Disillusion herself again, though she was careful to walk quietly, in case she ran into Filch or Mrs. Norris. The knots in her stomach were getting tighter.

You wanted to talk to them, Meridy scolded herself. Now’s your chance. Being scared won’t help anything.

Still, she glanced nervously into shadows, certain that there were eyes peering out at her. What if this was a trap, and the Slytherins did mean serious harm to Sara, instead of just threats?

Then she would Jelly-Legs them, or maybe even try the Full-Body Bind. They probably wouldn’t expect Sara to be brave enough for something like that.

A rustling to her left sent Meridy into a state of alarm. Just a lookout, it’s just a lookout, she chanted to herself. With an effort, she forced herself not to glance nervously off into the shadows. It wouldn’t help anything.

All too soon, she reached spiral stair at the bottom of the West Tower.

You can do this, she encouraged herself. Just start climbing.

Meridy took a deep breath, and started up the stairway, unsure of what awaited her at the top.




Reviews 59
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear