Search:

SIYE Time:23:44 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Farewell Hogwarts!
By Chatmandu

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 6
Summary: Summary: Five months after the events in “Romance and Weasleys” our four favorite characters have become our two favorite couples. For the Trio it makes the end of an era, and a chance for last minute pranks, even from an unusual source. It also marks the beginning of the rest of their lives.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3885



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
A/N: I wrote this as a follow up to “Romance and Weasleys” but it wasn’t finished before “Half-Blood Price” came out. Obviously this story is now AU, although it began as a guess to where canon character development might go. With “Death Hallows” soon to come out I decided to dust it off, update it a bit and get it out of my ‘to be posted’ file. Oh, and I have nowhere near the imagination to write a Harry vs. Voldemort fight scene, so I chickened out and kicked it down the road a bit.




ChapterPrinter


Farewell Hogwarts!


By Chatmandu


Early on the final full day of the school term the first rays of dawn were lighting the Headmaster’s office at Hogwarts. The Headmaster, humming to himself, was having tea while reading dispatches from the latest Ministry Auror and Order activities. All in all, the Order’s Equinox Offensive was very successful. They were now capturing ever higher level Death Eaters, steadily adding to those now in Azkaban. They had not broken what remained of Voldemort’s inner circle, but were close. Still, the fewer supporters Voldemort had around him, the easier it would be for Harry to vanquish him forever. And only one Horcrux, Nagini, remained. Dumbledore set the reports aside to ponder the coming confrontation between two of his students, Harry Potter and Tom Riddle. The cost of delaying that battle wore on him greatly. He sighed sadly, knowing that while prolonging Voldemort’s rampage he also increased the chances to end it forever. Harry’s training had advanced significantly; he had finally mastered the Delenda Est curse, although it had not been tested against a live object. Harry was making progress in tracking Pettigrew, he could sense his presence now, but had not yet been able to determine where he was. Additionally, Harry’s skill with Occlumency was such that Dumbledore himself could no longer fathom Harry’s mind. Snape had made known his displeasure at this development quite a few times.

Harry’s burgeoning relationship with Ginny Weasley seemed to settle rather than distract him. Unable to read Harry’s emotions about this, Dumbledore had openly asked him about her. Harry had smiled, shrugged, and answered rather enigmatically “romance and Weasleys”

As Dumbledore mused over this exchange, his thoughts were rudely disturbed by a strident pounding on his door.

An unknown woman’s voice was shrieking “Headmaster! Headmaster, I will get them all! I will have them in irons for this!”

His curiosity piqued, Dumbledore responded, “Please enter.”

He was quite surprised when Argus Filch entered the office, carrying Mrs. Norris, whose normally matted fur was a resplendent blue and silver. He was more surprised when Filch spoke, the unknown woman’s voice coming from his mouth.

“Look what they have done to Mrs. Norris! I have the dungeon chains oiled, and whips, oh yes, whips! Thumb screws are not enough for this!”

“Argus, calm down and please tell me, how did this happen?” said Dumbledore, trying to keep the amusement out of his voice.

******

~12 HOURS EARLIER~

“This is brilliant Harry, why didn’t you teach me this earlier,” Ron’s amazed voice said, apparently emanating from the middle of the Room of Requirement.

“Because although Moody taught me this spell last month,” replied a disembodied Harry “between NEWTs, and Dumbledore, and all, I’ve only been able to accurately cast the spell for a week.”

“Does this mean we no longer need the Invisibility Cloak?”

“No, the Disillusionment Charm doesn’t provide the same concealment as a cloak. If we move too fast, or someone expected this sort of concealment and looked carefully, we would be noticed.”

“Still Harry, this is just what we need to put my plan into action.” Ron tapped his wand on the top of his head and materialized. A few moments later, Harry appeared next to him.

“What plan, Ron?” Harry asked warily.

“Remember on Valentine’s Day, I told you I had a plan to take the mickey of that git Filch? Well, I have been writing Fred and George since Christmas break. They were working on a couple of products, and I agreed to help them with the final testing.” Drawing a vial of clear liquid from a pocket, Ron said “Meet ‘Spice Drops’, an odorless, colourless liquid that will make anyone sound like ‘Spice Girls’!”

Harry stared blankly at Ron. “Who girls’?”

Ron shrugged. “Beats me, mate. A Muggle singing group I gather. Fred and George saw their picture on one of those big advertisements on a trip through Muggle London. They were rather taken with them, apparently. Kept referring to them as ‘too right birds’ and all. The twins bought a pile of their seedys and some of those brown sellotape boxes with the Muggle moving photos of the women. They decided to dedicate a prank product to them. So here we are. Just pour this into Filch’s cistern and he will spend the day sounding like each of the four singers. He might even break into song,” Ron said, frowning, “Though they aren’t really sure about that part.”

“Bloody hell,” whispered Harry, in total awe.

“Oh, that’s not the half of it!” Ron snickered. “Old dung-for-brains may be the main act, but here is the opener. This,” and he pulled out a second vial, with an oily, slightly amber coloured liquid, “Is part two of the plan. Harry, I want to introduce you to ‘Kitty Kolours’. Pour this on to a cat’s food, and it will sprout fur in the colours of the four Hogwarts houses. The cat will change colour every six hours! A perfect companion to ‘Spice Drops’. We are going to make tomorrow into a day recorded in ‘Hogwarts — A History.’”

******

Late that night Harry and Ron passed through the Gryffindor portrait hole, padding quietly in stocking feet toward the deep shadows along the corridor walls. Wands out, Ron carried the precious vials within a pouch in his robes, while Harry carried the Marauders Map under his. Once out of sight of the Fat Lady, they tapped their heads and muttered the disillusionment incantation. They stood motionless and invisible for a moment. Then with barely a sound they raced through the halls to Filch’s office. They slowed as they neared his door, listening for his wheezing breath. Ron picked the lock on the office door and they both froze as a sharp click echoed down the corridor. Ron slowly pushed the door open and Harry looked into the room.

“It’s empty,” whispered a confused Harry. “What do we do now?”

“Well,” Ron whispered back, “We could check the map.”

“Oh…yeah…I guess we could,” Harry said sheepishly unfolding the map. “He’s patrolling down by the Hufflepuff corridor. Where are his quarters located?” And the map glowed faintly around a room just off the Entrance Hall.

“Did you know it could do that?” Ron asked.

“No, but then I never asked the map a question before. Umm…Where is Mrs. Norris’ food dish?” The map glowed again around Filch’s quarters.

“Come on, times’ wasting” Ron said quietly. “We should have thought of this before we left the common room!”

Moving careful, they arrived outside an unremarkable door that had never drawn anyone’s notice. Another few moments with the lock pick, another heart stopping loud click, and the door swung open. Inside was a simply appointed room that smelled of cleaning solvent and mothballs. Looking around the room, Ron spotted a ewer, basin, and cup on a stand next to the bed. At the foot of the bed was a small rug with food and water dishes.

“Ron!” Harry urgently hissed. “He’s coming this way, towards us!”

Quickly, Ron dumped the clear vial into the ewer, and poured the amber oil into the food dish. He slid out into the hall and pulled the door closed. As when it opened, the door latched with a loud click.

“Who’s there!” snapped Filch, shuffling as fast as he could across the hall. “Peeves, is that you? I’ll get the Bloody Baron and let him take care of you!” He unlocked the door and peered into his quarters.

Harry and Ron moved into the shadows, squatted low against the wall and froze. Seeing nothing amiss, he grabbed a broom then slammed the door shut. Filch looked about the hall, sniffing and listening. Mrs. Norris was staring right at Harry and Ron, meowing.

“Where are you?” Filch growled, “Show yourself!”

Harry and Ron willed themselves not to even breathe.

“I know you’re there,” wheezed Filch. “Think you’re clever with an Invisibility Cloak, heh?”

He took the broom and violently swept it against the wall, mere inches above Harry and Ron’s heads. He continued to brush the walls, beginning to move away from the boys. Mrs. Norris continued to stare at them, but Filch was now ignoring her. He spent several more minutes checking the walls surrounding the hall.

Finally he looked at his cat and said “Come along, we’ll catch them yet,” and headed toward the Slytherin dungeon.

Watching the pair disappear down the stairs Harry and Ron silently let out a long breath. They waited a few moments more, in case Filch came back, and then raced in the other direction toward the Gryffindor Tower. Stopping just around the corner from the Fat Lady, they removed the Disillusionment Charm, approached the portrait, muttered the password, and stepped into the safety of the Common Room. They stood for a moment staring at each other, then broke into loud laughter, slapping each other’s backs.

A dainty “hem hem” stopped their laughter cold. Turning slowly toward the source of the noise they saw two young ladies seated by the steps to the boys’ dormitory. Their postures and expressions made an interesting study in contrast. Hermione sat back in her chair, arms tightly crossed, doing her best to look angry despite the worry in her eyes. Ginny was leaning forward, hands on her knees, curiosity written on her face, her eyes dancing with amusement.

Hermione spoke first, snapping at the two boys “Where have you been? It is well past curfew. We may have finished our N.E.W.T.s but we have not yet finished Hogwarts! You can still be expelled Ron, wasting seven years of effort!”

“Excuse me, Big-Head Girl, but as a prefect I still have post curfew rounds to do, if you remember,” Ron snapped back.

Hermione fixed the two boys with a stare. After several moments, sounding as sarcastic as Snape, she replied “Oh, yes. Of course. And Harry?”

Ron glanced quickly at Harry. “Umm… I… umm… he was curious… umm… about… umm… about prefect rounds, weren’t you Harry?” Harry vigorously nodded his head.

“I see,” said Hermione in a clipped tone that Harry thought was a spot on imitation of McGonagall. “Harry? What is the route you took for Ron’s rounds?”

“Well… uh… we… uh - ” stammered Harry.

“ - We didn’t follow my regular route,” cut in Ron. “You know that knowledge is reserved for prefects only. I gave him a shortened tour along the second floor and through the Entrance Hall.”

“I see,” Hermione said again. How does she do that, thought Harry.

“You were gone quite a while for such an abbreviated route.” Ron and Harry stood silently. “Well, Ron I am going to accompany you on a full tour. You are still a prefect and responsible for the proper discharge of your duties.” Hermione rose from her chair and curtly motioned for Ron to follow her out of the portrait hole.

The moment the portrait closed, Ginny began to laugh. “The looks on your faces! I wish I had a camera.”

“This isn’t funny. Hermione is quite capable of reporting your brother and me to McGonagall,” said Harry nervously.

“No she’s not,” Ginny chuckled. “She was so worried for your two; I practically had to bind her to that chair. I figured you were doing some prank and didn’t need her mucking about. She will probably take Ron into the first classroom they pass and kiss him senseless. But I want to hear about what you were up to. I know Ron and the twins have been owling each other constantly since the start of term. Those three are an unusual combination, so it must be something really special.”

Ginny patted the seat of the now empty chair next to her. “Sit down Mr. Potter. I require a full report on tonight’s activities!”

Harry slumped into the chair and let out a long sigh of relief and exhaustion. Then he turned the chair, and himself, toward Ginny and told her of Ron’s plan and their use of the Disillusionment Charm.

“Ooh,” Ginny smiled. “You have to teach me that. I imagine it can be rather useful.”

“I’ll see if I can work it into the summer N.E.W.T. revision timetables Hermione has prepared for you.”

“What?” cried Ginny. “You are joking, aren’t you?”

It was Harry’s turn to smile. “You don’t think she would forget her second favorite Weasley, now would you? So, anyway - ” and he began telling her about finding Filch’s quarters and his search for the pranksters. “ - and once he turned toward the dungeons, we made our break for it.”

“That was close, Harry! Hermione was right to be worried. Do you think he knew who was there?”

“Well, he did think we had an Invisibility Cloak. I don’t expect many teachers know I have one. But even if he reports this to Dumbledore I’m not a suspect, because the Order is using my cloak”

“Do you think the potions worked?”

“I have no idea. Ron did say they were still experimental, not ready for sale. I have a feeling he and the twins made an agreement for one final test before market. We won’t know until tomorrow” and Harry looked at his watch, “Hmm, make that later this morning, at breakfast.”

Filch was seen neither at breakfast, nor throughout the morning. However, a number of students reported hearing a strange woman’s voice singing from somewhere deep in the castle. During lunch, Harry and Ron sat discussing their first Auror training classes. Suddenly the doors to the Great Hall were thrown open and Filch hustled in, carrying a blanket bundle in his arms.

Some students looked up as he approached the High Table, but all conversation ceased as he yelled in a woman’s voice “Headmaster! Look what has happened now!”

At that point Mrs. Norris leapt out from the bundle and streaked out of the Hall. Everyone recognized the cat, but her fur was now colored green and silver. The Slytherin table roared with laughter and began talking amongst themselves, intensely interested in who had hexed the cat. Ginny, sitting across the table from Harry, was coughing from having choked on a swallow of pumpkin juice when Filch spoke. Next to Ginny, Hermione was looking down at her plate, slowly shaking her head. Harry and Ron tried to act like everyone else, not to draw suspicion.

******

They saw no sign of Filch, or Mrs. Norris, for the remainder of the afternoon. Later, Harry was sitting on a box against the back side of Hagrid’s hut. He had calmed his thoughts, pondering only the sun on his face and the sounds from the forest beyond the hut. Dumbledore had felt, since the beginning of spring break, it was time to go on the offensive. Harry had been trying for many weeks to find Pettigrew. He was connecting on the faint trace of magic from the Life Debt owed him. The Order hoped if Pettigrew were located, he would lead them to Voldemort. While Dumbledore distracted Voldemort, Harry was slowly and unobtrusively, he hoped, expanding whatever link existed between him and Wormtail. He concentrated on seeing an invisible thread when a very different presence came crashing through his thoughts.

Damn, Harry thought, slightly annoyed. Why now, when I am so close!

Struggling to keep a firm rein on the exuberant joy of Ginny’s presence, he slowly drew away from Pettigrew. He opened his eyes to see Ginny’s freckled nose and cheeks setting off her deep brown eyes.

“I hope I didn’t wake you,” she said smiling slightly.

“No.” Harry responded, trying to keep the annoyance out of his voice. “I was just working on some mental exercises Dumbledore has taught me.”

“Good to know,” Ginny nodded, and then she sat across his lap and put her arms around his neck. “I wouldn’t want to interrupt you from anything important such as, oh say, plotting a prank?”

Harry chuckled and shook his head. Any remaining annoyance evaporated as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

“I want you to know that last night’s actions were a purely Weasley endeavor. I was merely the lookout.”

“Ah,” she murmured, and then leaned in to kiss Harry. Drawing back to catch her breath she kissed him lightly several more times. “I like a man of modest word and bold deeds.”

“Is snogging my girlfriend behind Hagrid’s hut bold enough for you?” he grinned.

Ginny gasped as if slapped and leapt off Harry’s lap, hands on hips, anger on her face. Harry saw the hurt reflected in her eyes.

“I’ll have you know” she snarled “That other couples may ‘snog’ but we kiss! Or at least that is what I think we do. I think we, you and I, are special. What we share is special. If you think I am nothing more than a ‘snog mate’… ” and she abruptly turned and began to walk away.

She paused at the edge of the hut, sighed deeply and turned to look at Harry. In a quiet but firm voice she asked “Harry, do you love me?”

“What? I… you… ”

This whole exchange stunned Harry. Despite a number of intimate talks over the past few months, Ginny still surprised him. This was not what he had expected when he joked with her on his lap. He was still trying to comprehend her first declarations when she asked this, but Harry could see she was expecting an answer.

“I…” Harry thought a moment, longer. “I don’t know Ginny. No, wait! Don’t go! Please hear me out,” he pleaded. “I can’t give you a simple yes or no answer. Its… its more complicated than that, I think. I am not even sure myself, I think, what love feels like. I am hardly an expert at knowing that, now am I?”

Harry shook his head ruefully. “But I know some things that you ought to know too, yeah? I… well… I know that when we are together everything feels right with the world. Despite war, the Death Eaters, despite Voldemort himself! I know I feel that something is missing when you are not with me. I hope… no, that’s not right… I know that I have a reason to live past Voldemort. Several months ago, Hermione asked me to have faith in myself. I’ve thought about that a lot since then. I can’t have faith in myself for my own sake. That is not enough of a reason. But you are, Ginny. I find faith in myself, in my abilities to do what is necessary, because of you. I want to destroy Voldemort and end all this, so I can come back and live. With you.”

Harry stood and went to Ginny, taking her hands in his. Sniffling slightly, Ginny looked into Harry’s eyes. He returned her gaze and added “I can’t lie to you. I don’t know if I love you. I’m not even sure I know how to love you, as you ought be loved” and he gently squeezed her hands. “But after Voldemort’s gone I promise to spend the rest of my life learning how.”

Ginny pulled Harry into a hug and began to cry softly against his chest.

Harry awkwardly returned the hug, silently cursing himself for hurting her. She deserves someone better than me; someone without… complications.

His melancholy thoughts were interrupted as Ginny hugged him tighter, saying “And I promise to teach you!”

“What?” Harry asked completely perplexed.

She pulled away and shook a finger at him, as if lecturing, but smiled. “I can be a hard task master you know. I am very thorough with my training. I strongly suggest you stop Volde-Git and start your lessons as soon as possible!”

She stood on her tiptoes and kissed Harry softly on the lips. “Follow me now, my apprentice,” she said, trying to sound very officious, “your first assignment is to escort me to the Great Hall early enough to get good seats for this evening’s entertainment.”

In her normal voice she asked, “Do you know what colours that bloody cat will sport tonight?”

Confused again by the sudden change of subject, he said “What? Oh, uh…no, actually I don’t. I was rather surprised she sported Ravenclaw colours first. Of course Filch is now after Slytherin,” Harry laughed. “I suppose we ought to warn Hufflepuff. No, on second thought that would tip our hand. Besides, Ernie is smart enough to figure it out. Let’s go get Ron and Hermione.”

“Ron said he will meet us in the Great Hall”

“He isn’t with Hermione? Come to think of it, I haven’t seen him since lunch. Where is he?”

“Well, you have been off on your own too you know. Ron is playing chess with Dumbledore.”

“What?” Harry was caught off-guard again. He wondered, fleetingly, if he had used up his lifetime’s supply of “whats” in just one afternoon. “Chess with Dumbledore?”

“Yes,” replied Ginny, “he and Dumbledore have been having afternoon chess matches several times a week since spring break. Ron mentioned once he is learning a lot.”

“Huh,” Harry grunted. Somehow, the thought of Ron and Dumbledore playing chess struck him as very odd.

******

The Great Hall was buzzing with excitement that evening. Filch had not been seen since his lunch time appearance. Rumor had it he was speaking with yet another woman’s voice, while Mrs. Norris was spotted on the seventh floor with red and gold fur. However, neither of the pair made an appearance, so the students’ talk soon turned to the trip back to London in the morning. Sitting, staring about the hall and the enchanted ceiling, the seventh years finally felt the significance of this meal. This was their last meal at Hogwarts. Lost in their thoughts and conversations not one of them paid the slightest attention to Dumbledore’s end of year speech. Heading up to the Gryffindor tower to pack for their departure, the older students were stopped by a gaggle of first and second years just staring at the wall near the Fat Lady.

“What is the hold up here?” Moving her way through the crowd, Hermione saw Filch holding a red and gold cat and staring angrily at the assembled students. The older Gryffindor DA members gathered behind her.

“Is there something you need Mr. Filch?” she asked.

Filch answered with a woman’s voice “I know one of you did this. And no one leaves this castle until I find out who!”

“Are you making an accusation against a member of my house?” responded Hermione, with her best McGonagall voice. “May I remind you that I remain Head Girl for another day? If you have specific information, I will take it to the Headmaster this instant! Otherwise my house members and I must prepare for our train ride in the morning.”

Filch, not used to being lectured by a student, glared at her. She stood her ground and glared back.

He looked past Hermione, a sinister grin appearing on his face. Pointing at Harry he shouted, “He has an Invisibility Cloak, I know it!”

Harry’s voice dripped with impatience, “Yeah, I own a cloak, but Professor Dumbledore has had it in his possession since the start of this term. Would you care to accompany me and Hermione to the Headmasters office and ask him about it?”

The grin on Filch’s face died, replaced by a look of confusion. “You don’t have it?” Both Harry and Ron shook their heads. “Bah!” he spat and shuffled toward the stairs. Stopping, he turned around and yelled “You just wait. I’ll be keeping a close eye on you next year, Potter!”

Harry wore a look of absolute disbelief. Slowly he answered, “Right then. I will have to watch my step I guess. Have a nice summer.” He muttered the password and entered the portrait hole.

Harry noticed Ron and Hermione entering the common room behind him. Hermione was trying to keep a serious look to her face while Ron openly sniggered.

“What an ignorant git,” declared Harry shaking his head.

“Hopefully, that will keep him at bay until we are on the train tomorrow,” said Hermione. “I am going to miss this school,” she sighed “but I won’t miss everything about it. Well, off to pack I suppose. Tomorrow will be hectic, you two shouldn’t wait until the last minute.”

“Right, see you in a bit then?” Ron called to her.

Once she was beyond hearing he turned to Harry “We have all night to pack, we can always sleep on the train. Fancy a game of chess, or two, for old time’s sake,” he smiled.

“Are you sure you want me as an opponent, after you have been playing Dumbledore?” asked Harry.

A look of alarm appeared on Ron’s face. He glanced around the room, clearly upset, pulled Harry to the side and whispered, “How do you know about that?”

“Ginny - ”

Ron shushed him angrily. “Quiet, whisper! Not even here is safe!”

Whispering in annoyance Harry continued, “Ginny told me this afternoon, when I asked after you.”

Ron visibly relaxed. “I guess that is okay. I am going to ask her to be more careful, even amongst us.”

Still annoyed, Harry hissed, “I thought we were past keeping secrets from each other. Wasn’t that what we learned two years ago?”

Ron sighed, “Yeah mate, we learned that lesson too well. But this is not the same. Calm down and think a minute. Did Ginny say for how long these matches have occurred?”

“Since spring break.”

Ron smiled, “Right in one! Anything happen since spring break?

“Umm…”

“Come on mate, think! Death Eater attacks have nearly stopped, yeah? The Ministry has arrested large numbers of the new ones, and the Order is catching the more experienced, deadlier ones. Voldemort is being isolated isn’t he? And you have been trying to find Wormtail.”

“How do you know about that? It’s supposed to be secret!” Harry rasped.

Ron chuckled in reply, “Secrets Harry? I thought we learned that lesson two years ago.”

Harry glared at him. “Go on then, I suppose you have a point?”

“Don’t get your knickers in a twist. Dumbledore and I have been playing chess, but the board isn’t in his office. I have been helping him plan the offensive against Voldemort. He has been gaming moves and countermoves since the Equinox. Harry, we are trying to clear the board so you have no distractions when facing him.”

“You?” Harry asked, shocked at this revelation. “You are responsible for all this?”

“Of course not!” sputtered Ron, his ears turning red. “It’s all Dumbledore’s plan. I am only helping him work out the sticking points. Sort of a sounding board. But I do like using you as the Queen!”

Harry paused a moment. “Queen? Shouldn’t I be a Bishop or something?” He snorted “maybe even a pawn?”

Ron responded softly, “No, you are the most powerful piece in the game.”

“Huh,” Harry grunted in disbelief, “I may never know all the spells Dumbledore or Voldemort know.”

“That’s not what I said,” snapped Ron. “Open your ears as well as your eyes mate. Dumbledore has known for a while the power you possess. So has Voldemort. He is scared Harry. His is afraid of you and you’d know it if you paid attention! The battle is coming soon Harry. I don’t know when exactly, but soon. You can do it. You’ve escaped him in the past. Now is the time for him not to escape you.”

Harry looked as Ron, slowly shaking his head. “Voldemort escape me? Are you daft?”

“Harry, he has managed it three times already. The first time was the night he killed your parents. You nearly destroyed him then. The second time was when he had Quirrell try to kill you. He was forced from that body and barely made it to Albania. The third time was after we fought in the Ministry. You ejected him out of your body. I don’t know how, Dumbledore himself isn’t even sure, but blimey Harry; whatever you did hurt him badly. Kill him Harry. Finish him and end this forever!”

“I am not sure I can do this, become a murderer.” Harry said, doubt in his eyes.

“We have had this discussion before, Harry. You aren’t a murderer. Killing someone who has never done wrong by you, who is innocent, that’s murder mate. It is something Voldemort and his Death Eaters do without thought. You can not help those who are already dead, no one can. But you can save thousands in the future. That isn’t murder Harry. Can Voldemort even be considered human any more?”

Ron looked straight at Harry and clapped his shoulder. “Harry, no doubts. Not from me, not from Hermione, and not from you.”

“Boys, why aren’t you packing?” Ron’s and Harry’s heads snapped towards the approaching voice.

“You know Hermione is going to have a fit you choose one last squabble, rather than be ready.” said Ginny walking over to the corner of the common room. “You two sound like the Hogwarts Express, chuffing and hissing. What could possibly cause an argument on your last night here?”

“Nothing, I was telling Ron the only chess opponent he could get to replace me was Dumbledore,” Harry smirked.

Ron glared at Harry, took a deep breath, and slowly let it out. “Ginny, we were discussing Order business. No, don’t you start!” said Ron, putting his hand out to her. “You are not seventeen yet. Mum and Dad won’t let you join and you know that. And good luck in convincing them after your birthday. They reluctantly let me join because Dumbledore spoke to them about it.”

“Actually,” Ginny replied coolly, though her eyes flashed anger, “I came to see if you needed any help packing. You two are positively useless when it comes to that.”

“Like you’re packed already,” Ron responded, as coolly as Ginny.

“I am,” said Ginny, her voice still cool. “You should have paid attention when Mum taught us the packing spell. Saves a lot of time. Now, if you will excuse me, I was hoping to get a word with my boyfriend before the madness of tomorrow.”

Ron glared at Ginny a moment, and then the anger was replaced by resolution as he said to Harry, “No doubts mate. No doubts.” Clapping Harry on the shoulder again, he walked toward the boy’s dormitory.

“Order business?” pouted Ginny. “You are not going to tell me are you.”

“Ginny, I can’t. At least not today. Ron was reminding me of something,” sighed Harry. “It is something…something I have to do, and I am not sure if I can. But Ginny,” Harry asked his voice sounding worried, “About this afternoon, before dinner. Let me ask you — do you love me?”

A smile blossomed on Ginny’s face. “Yes Harry, I do. Years ago I had a crush on The-Boy-Who-Lived. I am in love with just Harry.”

She became serious and continued, “I am guessing you and Ron were talking about the Prophecy. You having to kill him?” Harry nodded slowly. Ginny’s expression grew hard and she snarled “Then do it. I am sick of that bastard putting us, and especially you, through hell for all these years.”

Her voice and face softened and she touched Harry’s cheek. “You think by killing him you will be tainted by his evil?” Harry looked away ashamed, and again nodded slowly. Ginny gently turned his head back and caught his eyes with hers. “You won’t be,” she said gently. “I won’t let that happen. When you have destroyed him, come back to me and I will hold you and love you forever.” And she held him then, willing every ounce of her strength into him.

Harry wrapped his arms round her, Ron’s words echoing in his head “No doubts.”

This precious moment of intimacy ended as Seamus came toward them snickering. “Harry, one last snog before leaving, huh?”

Ginny rounded on him in a thrice, wand out, cold determination in her eyes. “Seamus Finnegan, you may snog, or whatever you call your animal instincts, but there are some of us who act from our hearts, not our crotch! You’ve seen what the Bat Bogey Hex can do. However, if you wish bray like an ass, I will be happy oblige you with that too,” and she began to swish her wand.

“No… no… that’s alright,” he gulped. “I will uh… just be going now, thank you. Sorry to interrupt you Harry, Ginny. A good evening to you both.”

Harry slowly shook his head, “Seamus you were the one who warned me about red heads and their tempers.” Ginny glared at them both. “You need to listen to your own advice. I’ll talk to you later, yeah?”

“Later Harry, sure.”

“Temper, huh.” Ginny raised one eyebrow. Harry returned the gesture, and Ginny snorted with mock disgust. “I am going to miss you all so much next year,” sighed Ginny as she glared at Seamus’ back. “But some less than others.”

“Well it is true I won’t be here next year, but I worry I may wear out Hedwig sending you letters all year.”

“Harry!” she replied, her hand on her cheek in mock astonishment “So, you are planning on a next year?”

“I have to,” he smiled. “I am being tutored how to love some one dear to me. The professor is a real task master; I dare not miss a single lesson.”

Ginny looked around the common room, filled with Gryffindors reading, talking, and getting ready for the ride in the morning. “Urrrg,” she growled in frustration. “If this room wasn’t so crowded I would kiss you into next week!”

“I think,” said Harry, “there will be time enough to kiss me into the rest of my life.”

******

The train ride back to King’s Cross was relatively subdued for Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. They played a few rounds of Exploding Snaps, talked about finding flats either in Diagon Ally, or Muggle London, and what the first days with their new careers might be like. They talked about anything and everything, except what was foremost in their thoughts; the coming confrontation between Harry and Voldemort.

It was Ron who touched on the subject, in a round about manner. Getting Harry’s attention he said, “I’ve been thinking about something. If you like, I want to explain some chess moves to you.”

Harry looked confused for a moment, and then realized what Ron meant. “Sure, mate. Get out the board.”

For several hours Ron moved pieces on both sides of the board, describing attacks, ploys and feints to Harry. Harry, for his part, stopped Ron a number of times asking about alternative moves and possible traps.

Ginny and Hermione were initially quite put out, being all but forgotten. Watching the two boys talking through defensive and offensive moves they realized it was no longer a board game being discussed.

Glancing at a pale Hermione, Ginny whispered, “This is for real, isn’t it?”

Hermione heard the worry in Ginny’s voice and nodded.

Presently, Hermione glanced at her watch then excused herself, claiming some final Head Girl activities. Noticing her leave, Harry told Ron they ought to end their “game” and not ignore Ginny.

Ron snorted and rolled his eyes, but began to put away the game pieces. As Harry and Ginny made small talk, Ron sat in the corner of the compartment, brought out his journal, and began to write.

Ginny stared at him for a moment, a very mischievous look on her face. She nudged Harry, and whispered, “Watch this.”

In an overly loud drawl she asked “Are you writing in your diary again? What has come over you these past months? Writing without an assignment. The next thing I know you might actually ask Hermione on a date! Oops, too late!” she snickered.

Ron glared at Ginny over the top of the journal, but returned to his writing.

Ginny continued to bait Ron, sniffing the air a few times. “Whatever is that smell? Harry, did you pinch something from Snape’s private stores before we left?”

Harry merely said, “Don’t bring me into the middle of this!”

“’Fraidy cat! Ron, that isn’t a scented letter I smell, is it? This could be really serious, scented letters and such. Is that what you are writing to Hermione?”

Ron glared again at Ginny, then put the journal away. “Well mate,” he said to Harry, “it seems a chap can’t get any peace and -”

Whatever else Ron was going to say was interrupted by the compartment door opening, and a familiar voice sneered “Well, well. Potty and his mud-blood loving -” Draco looked at three wands pointed at his chest.

“You can shut it now, Malfoy.” Harry snarled. “I am surprised you waste your time with pathetic taunts. Shouldn’t you be preparing to join your father in Azkaban?”

“We’ll see about that Potter. After the Dark Lord kills you, I think Azkaban will be hosting a different clientele.” He leered at Ginny and Ron.

“What is going on here?” an oily smooth voice asked. Professor Snape moved past Crabbe and Goyle to enter the compartment.

“Seven years and you still act the child crying for attention, Potter?” Malfoy and his cronies broke into broad grins.

“You are aware that you are still under school rules until you leave this train. There will be no attacking other students. After I escort these students back to their compartment, I will deal with your three.”

Turning to Draco, he said, “I took the liberty of having the trolley witch bring some tea to your compartment. It is growing cold, I suggest you drink it.” And he left the compartment.

Draco turned to follow, but stopped long enough to flash Harry an evil grin, and hiss “You’re dead Potter. You are but the beginning of the Dark Lord’s final solution!” Then he followed Snape.

“Bloody hell,” whispered Ginny.

“Of all the people to show up, it had to be that arse. I’m telling you Harry, that is a poisoned mushroom that never changed its spots,” growled Ron.

Harry stood tapping his wand against his left palm. He looked at the chess set box, then back at Ron. “Why him, why here, and why now?” he asked quietly. “Let’s keep our wands out.”

After several minutes the compartment door abruptly opened and Snape entered. Harry shut his mind to him.

Looking at the three Gryffindors, Snape sneered, “Wands out? You three are rather full of yourselves aren’t you? If it is a duel you desire Potter, it will be my pleasure to oblige you after we have left this train. And after you and the Weasleys are expelled!”

“You have nothing to expel us for, but I accept you challenge to a duel. Snivellus.” Harry spat.

“Professor Snape, Potter,” he replied, his voice like ice. “You have never learned manners have you? I have a valid reason to expel the three of you.”

He reached into his robe pocket and pulled out a vial marked “Spice Drops: Final Test.” Ginny gasped, and Ron paled considerably.

“You haven’t perhaps seen a vial like this before, have you?” he said staring straight at Ron.

Ron visibly swallowed, and Snape scowled.

“You were fools to try this on a member of the school staff. I have contacted the Headmaster and Professor McGonagall. They will be awaiting us on the platform when the train arrives. It looks like you get your big finish after all, Potter. I suggest we make ourselves…comfortable for the remainder of this journey.”

The next half hour seemed to last forever. Harry concentrated on not letting his mental defenses down. He chanced occasional glances at Ginny and Ron. Ginny was sitting in the corner, opposite Snape, knees up to her chin and her arms around her legs. She looked like she was losing in her effort not to cry. Ron was sitting across from Harry, his face ashen. His eyes however, were full of malice and he looked ready to physically spring at Snape.

The Potions Master seemed not to care that anyone else was in the compartment. He stared out the window, looking away from everyone.

A prefect passed down the aisle, announcing the train was twenty minutes from King’s Cross. The voice brought Snape out of his reverie. Stirring, he and Harry locked stares.

Harry’s eyes shot open in surprise. “You’re -” he began, but Snape shook his head ever so slightly. Then, after a moment, Snape began to laugh.

Ron and Ginny stared at him, disgust mixing with the anger on their faces. Their expressions changed to alarm as the laughing Snape began to wriggle and twitch on the bench. Harry watched, lips pursed, shaking his head slowly. Snape continued to twitch and laugh, when suddenly his voice raised an octave. His body and hooked nose began to shrink, and his greasy black hair changed to bushy and brown. Hermione sat there, still laughing at a now scowling Ginny and a livid Ron.

“You… You… ” hissed Ron, unable to articulate any other emotion.

“Hermione!” snapped Ginny.

“What is this about, Hermione!” demanded Harry.

“Oh Ron, I am so sorry to have put you through that,” pleaded Hermione, calming down slightly. “The looks on your faces…,” and she was laughing again. Taking a deep breath in an effort to control herself, she continued “You weren’t the only one corresponding with the twins this term!”

Ron looked as though he would be sick. “You? You took the mickey of us, of me, like that for my brothers?”

“Oh Ron, no.” Hermione said. “The prank is on Malfoy and his two baboons!”

“What?” Ginny snapped again. “What are you on about?”

“The drops,” Hermione began to snicker “Your brothers improved them! The vial I showed you as ‘Snape’ wasn’t yours Ron. It was mine,” and she began to laugh anew.

Taking another deep breath, she went on. “The drops were for Malfoy. I needed to look like someone he would never suspect. Snape seemed like the logical choice. When I left our compartment, it was to take Polyjuice potion. I saw them leave their compartment and took my move. I was cooling the tea; Fred and George say it doesn’t work well in a hot liquid, when I heard the commotion coming from here. I poured the drops into the pot then made my grand entrance. I came back here because, well because where else could I wait for the Polyjuice to wear off? The looks on your faces! Oh, I am so sorry but you two really shouldn’t have done that to Filch you know so I thought I might have a bit of fun. Anyway, I am hoping the drops begin to work before we detrain!”

“But… but… why you?” Ron asked, confusion replacing anger.

“Because the two of you would be watched closely after the prank on Filch. Who would ever suspect ‘Miss-Know-It-All-Big-Head-Girl,’” Hermione grinned. “After years of suffering remarks from those prats, it was time to take the mickey of them. I think it a rather fitting farewell to Hogwarts!”

Harry and Ginny exchanged bewildered and bemused looks.

Ron stared at her for a moment, as if he were suddenly seeing her for the first time. Slowly he began to smile and chuckle.

“I am not going to ask how you got some of Snape’s hair. But I think the twins owe you for that bit of dedication!”

The Express was now entering King’s Cross Station. The excitement among the students rose as they brought down their trunks and prepared to debark. Out of the babble of voices getting off the train, three distinctly adult female voices were heard vehemently arguing. People laughed as the source of the disturbance, Malfoy, with Crabbe and Goyle, moved quickly toward the platform barrier. There they were met by their mothers, whose looks of confusion and horror did nothing to ease the situation.

A moment after they passed out through the barrier, Fred and George passed in; looking like Christmas had come early. Seeing Harry and Hermione with their brother and sister, they hurried over to them. Fred scooped Hermione into a hug, followed by George, who also twirled her around.

“Hey!” barked Ron as a flushed Hermione began to giggle.

“Ah, little bro,” said Fred “This one is definitely a keeper! If you ever treat her poorly - ”

“- you will be answering to us!” finished George.

Ron put his arm possessively around Hermione’s waist and frowned at his brothers.

George then looked at Ginny and Harry, as if he only now noticed they were there. “And what’s this?” he asked, pointing at Harry, who was holding Ginny’s hand.

Harry jumped, as if shocked by electricity and dropped her hand. Ginny quickly grabbed his hand back, and stared defiantly at the twins.

“It seems but yesterday - ” Fred began, faking wiping a tear from his eye.

“- he was a mere waif, alone in a new world” said George, faking a sniffle.

“And now, the Boy-Who-Lived - ”

“- has been snared by the Girl-Who-Loves,” finished George, grinning from ear to ear.

“Shut it, you two,” snapped Ginny, pulling Harry toward the barrier.

Fred continued aloud, “She is her mother’s daughter, isn’t she!”

“Poor Harry,” said George. “From the stories Dad tells about Mum, he never stood a chance.”

Ron and Hermione smirked, Ginny groaned in annoyance, but Harry paused for a moment. He turned and stared at the Hogwarts Express. Ginny stopped to let him think, while Ron and Hermione joined him in gazing at the gleaming red train.

Perhaps, Harry thought, perhaps if I don’t move; if I stay here, things will never change. Might this one moment of happiness last forever?

There was so much yet to be done, and Voldemort’s shadow still lay across his future. Harry sighed, and then smiled. Beyond that shadow, an infinite forever was waiting to be filled with infinite moments of happiness.

“Well, come on then, are we going to stand and gawk all day?” asked Ron as the moment passed.

Harry took one last look at the train, then laced his fingers with Ginny’s, and led his friends through the barrier, out of the station, and into what the future might bring.


END

Reviews 6
ChapterPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear