Search:

SIYE Time:10:41 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Hopscotch - Missing Moments 3
By Mirloc

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Comedy, General
Warnings: Extreme Language, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 2
Summary: David Kenton is overworked chasing down a rogue Agent Potter, and remembers the first meeting with Director Benton, then simply a 'retirement specialist' for the Dirty Tricks department of the CIA.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3951



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
You know the routine - Nothing is mine, except this box of Girl Scout cookies - hands off!
Harry Potter, and all the subsequent characters, situations, spells, and rude noises are property of J.K.R. and her minions. Hopscotch is the property of Brian Garfield and his minions.




ChapterPrinter


David sighed and hung up the telephone. His brain hurt, he'd been tracking Harry Potter for almost a week now, and frankly he was sick of it. Potter was the best field agent they had ever had, Benton really pulled a huge boner with Potter. The worst way to separate a person like Potter was to emasculate him. No it would have been far better to simply move him to a desk job under the guise of a promotion, and allow him to walk on his own. Which David had no doubt that Harry would have long ago if Benton hadn't allowed him to gallivant in the field as often as he had the past few years.

Now David was faced with the unenviable task of finding what was most likely one of the most elusive people on earth. It was also apparent that Harry was simply playing a game of cat and mouse with them, and that worried David more than anything else. The book he was writing was a red herring that much was painfully obvious to David as each chapter was intended to illicit responses from Director Benton, a slap in the man's face for kicking him down to the filing department. What worried him was the easy trail Potter had left. Glowing white breadcrumbs meant to lead them along carefully. He knew they were taking the bait everywhere, and it frustrated and yet thrilled him at the same time. His frustration was he knew he was at least two steps behind Potter, and every time he turns a corner hoping to find a clue instead he finds Potter mocking him and his efforts.

Director Benton was furious, just yesterday he'd been told to punch Potter's dance card once and for all. He didn't want to go that far, Potter was a hero several times over. Even if you didn't count the whole Voldemort thing, Potter was responsible for the taking down of a death cult, working wonders with InterPOL on dozens cases of terrorism, some mundie some magical in nature. No, every agency out there was looking, but none of them very hard, for Harry Potter since practically every last one of them owed him at least a half-dozen times over.

He leaned back in his chair and remembered the first time Benton had graced them with his presence. He and Potter we less like oil and water, and more like a flamethrower and nitroglycerin. Oh it had been a lovely meeting...

-----

“But who'll take care of me?” Harry asked leaning back in the conference room chair. “I mean this has to be the most unruly blokes I've every had the pleasure of working with, I just don't see who will keep me in line.”

David chuckled to himself Potter's accent was far more pronounced as he laid the charm on thick. He looked around the room. Samuel Whithers was, like Potter leaning back in his chair, unlike his mentor Whithers was quiet. “Ah smell a heap of Grade-A1 bullshit here.”

The room went quiet. Director Janice Tompkins raised one immaculate eyebrow. “Is that so Agent Whithers?”

“Yes ma'am. Won't work with anyone from that part of the company.” Whithers stated clearly. “They are bad news people, we all are upstanding moral agents. We don't pull dirty tricks here. That's why y'all have InterPOL provide us with the muscle, keeps us clean.”

Janice sighed and continued with the briefing. “The target is this man.” A slide projector rotated placing an image on the screen. Harry's eyes widened slightly. The image was one Viktor Krum. “InterPOL has asked for one of you by name — again.”

All eyes turned to Harry. “What?”

“Yes, well in light of our conversation, Agent Potter is unwilling to perform this task, and as such we have decided to enlist the aid of Agent Benton to perform the actual wand work, as InterPOL's normal hit witch is apparently not available.”

The picture changed and showed a slightly overweight man at a range with a rifle carefully cradled in his arms, behind him a target with 3 holes torn through the paper two in the head and one centered where the heart would be.

Potter spoke up immediately. “I feel safer already, he can punch holes in paper from what a hundred meters?” The room echoed with chuckling. “Am I to assume you actually think a Muggle can perform a hit on a wizard?” More laughter this time. “If you want this Benton chap dead, why not just kill him outright rather than put him against Krum's hit-goon of the day?”

David nodded. “I've met Krum over a dozen times, hell we all have. The man shows no fear because of his backup.”

“That no one has ever seen.” A smarmy voice far too reminiscent of Malfoy came from the now opened door. “And just what do you mean by 'Muggle' and 'Wizard'?” The stout man from the picture took a seat near the head of the table.

Potter sized him up in an instant. “When did you get so short Benton?” Most of the agents in the room hid their laughter behind coughs.

Benton looked Potter over with the cold eyes of a killer, Harry had seen that look before, and it never bode well for the character of the person owning the look. “The words Agent Potter, what did they mean.” It wasn't a question it was a command.

Harry sighed. “I see we are going to be introduced the hard way. I'm Harry Potter — Department Head for the European Theater. And you are?”

“The words Potter.” Benton demanded more forcibly.

Harry drew out his wand, and flicked it at Benton, who sat there unconcerned. “They mean I — and everyone in this room, except you of course, are wizards and witches imbued with the power to perform magic. A Muggle, like yourself, is someone who isn't one may even say handicapped.”

Benton opened his mouth, and looked shocked, the shock gave way to furor as he was unable to make a sound. Janice glared at Harry and flicked her wand at Benton “...you unbelievable fucking asshole!” Realizing he was speaking again, he cleared his throat and straightened his tie. He blew out a breath while running his hand carefully over his perfectly aligned hair. “So, if you are all powerful, make him disappear.”

“Wizards who just 'disappear' have a nasty habit of turning up again and again.” Harry said amused at himself.

“So you are telling me that with all this wonderful power you can't just kill someone?” Benton scoffed.

Harry glowered at the man. “There's a certain amount of intent that needs to go into killing someone Benton, it's not as simple as waving your hand and saying 'die' it's complex.”

“Sounds like a bunch of shit to me.” The man said shortly. “I don't believe in this whole hat trick garbage.”

Harry pulled out his wand, flicked it and the papers Benton were holding turned into fat gray rats. “Jesus....” Benton scrambled away from the table cursing under his breath. “How in the hell did you do that?”

Harry smiled a wicked smile. “It's called magic Benton.” He aimed his wand at the pack of rats searching the table top for food and they morphed back into the papers. “Specifically the field is transfiguration.”

“I — I've never seen anything like that.” Benton stuttered pushing the papers with his fingers tentatively. “They felt so real.”

“They were real Benton, real enough at any rate.” Janice said. “Transfiguration is the art of turning some bit of matter into another bit of matter. Animate or otherwise.”

“So we turn him into a cockroach and step on him.” Benton said shrugging. “I don't see why I'm involved in this at all.”

Harry sighed, and turned his gaze on Benton. “Do you know how I know you are a Muggle Benton?”

“Some special magic sense I'd guess.”

“True, I can detect magical auras, and you don't have one. But there's an easier way, something that defines a magic using being from the Muggles.” Harry said in the voice normally reserved for small children.

“Oh, and what's that?” Harry didn't miss Benton's sarcastic tone.

“Magical creatures, Mr. Benton aren't nearly as clueless as you are.” Harry relied, in an even tone.

“Fuck you Potter.” Benton stood and reached for his belt.

“Pertificus totalus.” Benton went rigid and fell over. Harry could see the hate in the man's eyes as he glared at Harry from the floor.

“Potter, let him up.” Director Thompkins said sharply. Harry flicked his wand and Benton scrambled to his feet growling at Harry. “Agent Benton, stop provoking Agent Potter.” She turned to Harry. “I expect better of you Potter. You are suspended for two weeks effective immediately.

Harry nodded, placed the paperwork in the envelope and slid it back to Janice. “Then I won't be needing this.” He turned and left the room.

As soon as the door closed Benton shrugged back into his chair. “The man is a lunatic.”

“The man is a hero more times over than most people in this room care to remember. It would do you well to remember that while you are in the field with him.” Janice said.

“You suspended him!” Benton said forcibly.

“Yes, and in two weeks you will have finished your preparation work, and you and Potter can get in, clean up our little problem, and get out. Understood?”

“Yes.” Benton glared at the Director.

“?No one says you have to even like Harry Potter.” Janice said simply. “But I am saying you need to work together. Krum has been a thorn in our side for a long time, and that thorn needs to go away.”

“Director, if I may?” David spoke up.

“Yes Agent Kenton?” Janice looked at the young man. He'd progressed well under Harry's training, and was rapidly becoming one of her top field agents, his natural talent added to Potter's rather vast knowledge of the area and players gave David a fast track to success in the CIA.

“Is neutralization such a good idea? True, Krum knows a lot about our operations and our field agents, but it's a detante between us. They send Krum, we send Potter...” He stopped as Janice raised her hand in a motion not unlike her shushing her grandchildren.

“Potter is out of the field after this exercise.”

Sam Whithers laughed. “And this is different from when we hired on David how exactly? It's been what five years? Potter plays the field like an old hand the only difference is that the Boy Wonder there is tagging along like a lost puppy.”

David's cheeks stained crimson. “Agent Whithers, that is enough. My decision is final about this. Krum is to be removed as a player in the European Theater, as is Potter.”

The agents around the table remained silent, although Janice could see there was little to no faith in her completing the tasks she's set for herself. Krum was slippery normally but if he knew they were gunning for him he'd be impossible.

-----

The restaurant was typical Harry. Charming, excellent food, gracious wait staff and oozing romance. It made Ginny almost sick with what she had to do.

“So you don't want to work with me anymore?” Harry said taking his seat and smiling as the waitress poured two glasses of wine.

“That's just it Harry, there's word out that the Averys are to be terminated at the next opportunity. Hell the villa in Puerto Rico exploded last month.”

“Not for the first time assuredly.” He chuckled to himself. “It's not like anyone was there.”

“There's more than that Harry, damn it just listen!” She growled at him.

Harry held up his hands in mock surrender. “Ok Gin, Merlin woman, are you having your time or something?”

Ginny glared at him. “No, but there's just so — You don't understand.” She said miserably.

“The explain it to me.”

“I can't Harry, Zack — I think he knows about us, or suspects at least. He — I — I can't do this to him anymore.” Ginny felt the first of many tears well up in her eyes.

Harry sat there stunned for a moment. “I understand.” He stood and laid a small pile of coins on the table. “I guess I'll see you around.” He walked to the disapparation point and vanished.

Ginny watched wordlessly as Harry walked away from her. It really was the hardest thing she'd ever had to do. Though she knew she'd done it once before unintentionally, this time she knew what she was doing as she broke his heart.

She returned home after cleaning up. “How was dinner?” Zack asked from the living room. “I had honestly expected you to be gone longer.”

“No, I — the company wasn't the best, and I didn't fell well. I'm heading to bed.” She walked upstairs to the master bedroom and fell into bed still dressed letting the tears fall.

-----

Harry entered his bedroom at the Burrow sealing the door and laying on the bed. He stared at the ceiling, knowing this was exactly how he felt at Ginny's wedding to Zack.

Zack was a nice enough guy really, and Harry really couldn't blame him for loving Ginny. Besides it was his own fault he was in this situation.

Three days later, Harry hadn't moved from the bed short of bathroom trips and to eat with the Weasleys. Molly was curious about his presence at the Burrow, but didn't ask and Harry found it impossible to tell her anything, so he'd mumbled that the Agency had demanded he take some of his vacation time, and they left it at that.

It was midnight and on the way back from the bathroom he saw Ginny's door, and paused. He pushed it open and walked into the room empty save for the single bed with no sheets or pillowcase. The dresser sat empty of items, a straight back wooden chair sat at a desk that had seen better days under layers of paint.

On the desk was a small book. He walked over to it and looked at it, eerily it looked much like the diary of Tom Riddle. He frowned and went to open the book. A simple charm held it closed, Harry took his wand and muttered a series of spells finally getting the reaction he wanted he canceled the charm on the book and opened it.

He took the book up to his room and read the diary of Ginny Weasley. In it he found his name mentioned over and over again. It was embarrassing, but also voyeuristic to look into the life of someone you cared about so much, and yet finally found out exactly what kind of person they are without the trappings of society.

What he had hoped to find was answers to the questions, but in the end he only found one thing. Her final entry dated the morning of the wedding.


Dear Diary,

Well today is the big day. Zack and I are getting married. The honeymoon will be a trip to the States and some islands for two weeks, after that it's home.

Harry is going to be at the wedding. He and Ron made it home just a couple of days ago, and seeing Harry made things with Zack feel out of sorts. As if I didn't belong with my fiance.

I talked to Hermione the other day, and was shocked to find that she thought Harry had come to the Burrow to ask me to marry him. Why would he do that? We have been apart for over two years.

Zack would like to meet Harry in a more relaxed atmosphere, he's afraid his presence made Harry a bit uncomfortable, and he's probably right. Harry was never good around new people. I told him once we had settled that I was sure I could convince Harry to come and visit.


Harry watched as the pages fluttered past as the book made to close. There in the back, on the final page of the diary was a small note. Dated for a mere two days before.


Dear Harry,

Words cannot express how I'm feeling right now. I know you'll be able to bypass the charms on the diary, and I hope that perhaps what I write here could possibly provide you with some comfort, but somehow I doubt it.

I knew all this time we were living on borrowed time, Zack confronted me about you several times and I insisted that we were friends and business colleagues, and that we worked well together undercover. To be honest Harry, I don't think Zack would mind so much about us but he wants me out of the business. Says it's too dangerous, and to be honest I agree with him.

I'm almost thirty Harry, it's time for me to start thinking like an adult I suppose. My biggest regret is we never had a chance together.

With all my love,
Ginny


Harry set the diary down, and closed it reverently. He worked through the original charms and placed the diary back on the desk with infinite care. As he stood to leave the room, he glanced back at the small leather bound book, and picked it up, and slid the journal into his pocket. Softly, he closed the door on the now vacant room, and headed to his own room in the Burrow.
Reviews 2
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear