Search:

SIYE Time:10:30 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Summer Story
By Arnel

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 392
Summary: Summer at the Dursleys’ is typical for Harry Potter who hopes his stay with his relatives will only last two weeks at most. In this sequel to You’re Still You and New Year, New Hope Harry learns that his role as “savior” of the Wizarding world is more complicated than he thought and that he needs his friends and mentors more than he ever imagined.
Hitcount: Story Total: 135218; Chapter Total: 5049







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 7: Planning


“Here, here!” the portraits around the room added to Dumbledore’s quiet praise. Harry could feel his face burning as Dumbledore shushed them. Their occupants fell into feigned sleep again.

Feeling the need to take the attention off himself, Harry inquired, “Professor, the last time we met, you told me we’d be going after Voldemort’s Horcruxes. Will we start hunting for them soon?”

“Yes, we will. That is the second topic for our discussion this morning,” Dumbledore said. He chose a small, worn piece of parchment from the folder in front of him and consulted it before handing it to Harry. “My list.”

Harry stared at the parchment. It was different from the last time he’d seen it.

Riddle’s Diary–destroyed
Slytherin’s Ring–deactivated
Slytherin’s Locket–missing
Hufflepuff’s Cup–missing
Nagini the snake–with Voldemort
Unknown Object 1–location Hogwarts(?)
Unknown Object 2

Startled, Harry said, “Sir, you’ve added a second Unknown Object since the last time I saw this list. Why is that?”

“New evidence,” replied Dumbledore vaguely. “However, until we know the locations of all the known Horcruxes and their fates, I do not wish to trouble you with the identity of the possible last object.” He paused, his blue eyes drilling into Harry’s. “Will you be patient with me on that account?”

Harry nodded uneasily. “We’ve already identified two of them: the Diary and now the ring you’re wearing...” He glanced at Dumbledore’s hand, noticing for the first time that day that the ring was absent. “Erm... not wearing, then. I know the Diary was destroyed because I ruined it. I, er, I suppose the ring has now met a similar outcome?”

“That is correct, Harry. We also know that the locket still exists, as does the cup, but they are both missing at this moment,” Dumbledore said. “That gives us a total of four that we know of, so assuming that Voldemort wanted to make seven Horcruxes, that leaves us–”

“–three,” Harry finished, feeling more than a little overwhelmed. “I assume we will be looking for the cup and two unknown others. Do you have any idea what or where the other two are?”

Dumbledore smiled enigmatically. “I think I do, Harry. Do you recall who I told you the cup belongs to?”

“Yes. Helga Hufflepuff.”

“And the locket and ring?”

“Salazar Slytherin,” Harry replied, his eyes widening as he made the connection. “You mean to tell me that two of the remaining Horcruxes will belong to Gryffindor and Ravenclaw?”

“Only Rowena Ravenclaw. You see, the viable relic belonging to Godric Gryffindor is here in this office.” Dumbledore swivelled around in his chair and pointed at the sword lying in the case behind his desk. “We can rule this one out because one cannot destroy one Horcrux with another. The magic used to conceal the soul fragments won’t allow such destruction.”

“That makes sense,” Harry said slowly, trying hard to see where Dumbledore’s logic was going, “because the two fragments of soul... would want to complement each other... rather than be forced to duel.”

“That is correct, Harry,” Professor Dumbledore said, his eyes twinkling. “Now what else do you remember about this particular sword?”

Harry smiled. “I pulled it out of the Sorting Hat in the Chamber of Secrets and used it to kill the Basilisk.”

“Do you also remember what I said to you about it that night?”

“You told me that only a true Gryffindor would be able to summon the sword,” Harry said, suddenly understanding where the conversation was leading. “So you think that if the sword had been turned into a Horcrux, it wouldn’t have come to me?”

Professor Dumbledore beamed. “That is precisely what I think. Something as evil as a Horcrux might completely override the original magic and prevent the sword from coming when a true Gryffindor is in need of it.”

“And that is why you are certain the sword has not become a Horcrux,” Harry said, nodding.

“Yes, Harry,” Professor Dumbledore said. “Now, what have you heard about Rowena Ravenclaw and the relics attributed to her?” he continued.

“Not much, sir,” Harry replied. “Though I guess that whatever the object is, it’s meant to spread knowledge, just because of the intelligence of the students Sorted into her House.”

“Correct. There are two possible objects belonging to Rowena Ravenclaw that are consistently mentioned in the legends surrounding her. The first object is a rather ornate goblin-made tiara. It was said to have been imbued with powers to enhance the wearer’s mental capacity but was lost long ago. The second object is a beautifully carved wand that was passed down through Ravenclaw’s female descendents to the mother of the present-day owner who has never married. You may have seen it, Harry.”

Harry regarded Professor Dumbledore dubiously. “How could I have seen it, sir?”

“Where did you purchase your wand, Harry?”

Harry’s eyebrows raced for his hairline as he stared at Dumbledore. “You’re telling me that Mr. Ollivander owns Rowena Ravenclaw’s wand and has had it on display in his front window all this time?” Harry managed to say in spite of his utter astonishment.

“I am. Mr Ollivander told me many years ago that the wand in the window is a paste. For several decades after his mother’s death he did indeed display the Ravenclaw wand in his window, with the intention of hiding it in plain sight rather than locking it up where no one would have the chance to look at it,” Dumbledore explained. “Then, about twenty years ago, the wand shop was broken into and the wand was taken.”

“Did the MLE investigators find out who took it?” Harry interrupted.

Professor Dumbledore shook his head. “I am afraid not, for Mr Ollivander knew who took the wand and was too afraid to go after the burglar because he wanted to stay alive.”

“Voldemort?”

“Yes. Or, rather, some of his Death Eaters. Mr. Ollivander immediately put a copy of the Ravenclaw wand in the window and notified me of the theft because of the wand’s connection to the school.”

“So you’ve been looking for it ever since?”

“Correct again. I also think I know where the wand, turned Horcrux, is located,” Professor Dumbledore said with a small smile. “You see, about the same time the wand was stolen, I had a very unusual and unpleasant visit. Lord Voldemort sent me a request for an interview as I was advertising for a new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor. The teacher who had replaced Professor Merrythought, the Defence teacher during Voldemort’s time, was retiring after nearly thirteen years. I granted Voldemort the interview, but refused to give him the post. He was most unhappy and stormed from this office muttering under his breath. To this day, we have yet to keep a Defence teacher for more than one year.”

“That explains it!” Harry murmured, more to himself than to Professor Dumbledore. “The post is cursed!”

“Indeed it is, Harry,” Professor Dumbledore agreed, “and I’d very much like to have the curse lifted.”

Harry sat quietly, mulling over this new information, until he asked, “Do you think that Voldemort took the opportunity to hide the stolen wand here in the castle?”

“Yes, I do. And it is time that someone went looking for it,” Dumbledore said, looking pointedly at Harry.

Harry looked away, panic rising in his chest. Am I capable of carrying out this mission Professor Dumbledore is asking me to take on? he thought. I’m only sixteen. I’m not ready for this! I don’t know enough magic to complete this task. Harry glanced down at his hands which he had been twisting in his lap. Panicking like this was not a welcome feeling and he chided himself for it. Get a grip, Potter! You know that if you don’t try, how will you know what you’re capable of? Dumbledore trusts you. He’s arranged for all those people to help you... You’ll disappoint him if you don’t try... “Will I have to go alone?” he asked, thinking of how comforting it felt to be scared in someone else’s company.

“No, Harry, I would not ask you to go searching this entire castle by yourself. I suggest that, since Mr Weasley and Miss Granger will be here in less than a fortnight, you three go on this adventure together. Going on a search together might just feel like old times?” Professor Dumbledore said, his blue eyes twinkling.

“Yeah, old times,” Harry said with a shudder, remembering the terror he had felt during their end-of-year escapades his first, second, third and fifth years. “Where do you think we should look?”

“You tell me, Harry. You are in charge of this Horcrux hunt.”

I am?

Harry furrowed his brow, thinking hard. “What about the Ravenclaw common room? Could we have access to that?”

“A good start, but please remember how many generations of Ravenclaw students have had access to that room.” Professor Dumbledore chuckled. “It has been thoroughly searched from top to bottom at least twice every year since I became headmaster. As far as I know, no one has found even one suspect loose flag stone, brick or concealed hidey-hole.”

“All right, then what about the Room of Requirement?”

“I would say that is a better possibility because of the room’s ability to adapt to the needs of the user.” Professor Dumbledore made a note on a piece of parchment.

Harry continued to ponder the obvious places to look. “As much as I don’t want to go back in there, would Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom be a good place to look? I mean, every girl I know avoids using that loo unless they absolutely have to,” Harry said with a shudder.

“I think you are on to something there, Harry. Is there any other place Voldemort might have discovered that would be a good place to conceal a wand?”

“Bathroom, bathroom,” Harry murmured, wracking his brain. Why did that idea stick in his head and not let him think? Then, he knew. “The Chamber of Secrets! Only Tom Riddle found that part of the castle when he was here as a student!” he exclaimed excitedly.

“Very good, Harry. You will recall that only one who speaks Parseltongue can open it, so I expect Voldemort thought the Chamber would be just the place to hide his Horcrux.”

“I think we’ll begin our search there, sir,” Harry said elatedly. Then he thought of Ginny and his mood changed swiftly. “I don’t want Ginny coming with us. It’s going to be bad enough for me to have to go down there, even with Ron and Hermione.”

“She has a right to go, Harry,” Professor Dumbledore countered. “But I would agree with you; you have been sharing your new-found knowledge with Mr Weasley and Miss Granger only and to tell another person only increases the chance that Voldemort will learn of what you are doing. I do not envy you, for I am sure Miss Weasley will be extremely angry when she is not allowed to accompany you.”

“I’ll just have to deal with that when the time comes,” Harry said resignedly.

Professor Dumbledore nodded and the two sat in silence for a few moments listening to the quiet snoring of the portraits. Finally, Professor Dumbledore asked, “Have you thought about where to look for the other Horcruxes, Harry?”

Harry nodded. “Yes, sir. The easiest one to find but not dispose of is the snake because Nagini is with Voldemort. She will have to be last–just before our final duel to the death,” he concluded softly with a shudder.

Professor Dumbledore steepled his fingers and regarded Harry from across the desk. “You have no idea how much I regret having to ask you to do this Harry,” he said ruefully.

Harry sighed. “It’s got to be done by somebody, so it might as well be me.”

The kindly blue eyes seemed to pierce Harry’s thoughts, somehow flooding him with a sense of calm support. “You know that you can still back out, but if you choose to see it to the end, you will not be alone in this battle, Harry. All your closest friends will be with you. There will be hundreds of people who have lost just as much or more than you have who will be fighting Voldemort and his followers right alongside you when the time comes.”

“I know that, sir, and it makes me feel a little better,” Harry said, “but the truth is I’m… I’m scared of dying.” Harry paused for a long moment. Dumbledore made no sign of interrupting, so Harry continued. “I want to live. I want to experience what I missed growing up.”

Professor Dumbledore nodded. “You are speaking of your cousin, I presume?”

“Yeah. Him... and a real family. Like the Weasleys,” Harry admitted.

“Or are you wishing that your time at the Dursleys had been like the time you have spent with the Weasleys?” Professor Dumbledore asked wisely.

“Maybe a little of both.” Harry stared out the office window at the cloudless blue sky. “Mrs Figg’s owl brought me a letter from Dudley this morning. Somehow he managed to get himself all the way to her house via the Floo network.”

Professor Dumbledore chuckled. “I have heard about that. Dudley caused quite the panic at his minder’s. Apparently, his arrival at Mrs Figg’s was due to an overly zealous application of Floo Powder which transported not only his head but his entire body and Dedalus Diggle as well. Mrs Figg assures me that Dudley is quite all right and was rather concerned about what’s happening with you.” He paused. “Do you mind my asking what he put in his letter?”

“Not at all. He was mostly concerned about my aunt and uncle, although he did mention that he missed me during his morning workout.”

“From the reports your minders sent me during your stay at your aunt’s this summer, Dudley may have decided you are worth knowing, Harry.”

“Yeah, I think he has. It’s weird, though. All those years we lived together almost as rivals and then right at the end he decides to be nice to me. I just don’t get it...” Harry trailed off.

“Dudley is maturing, Harry. He spends more time at school, away from his prejudiced parents, than he does in their home now. Don’t you think some of what he has learned about tolerance at school should stick with him?”

“Maybe, but I think it might have been the Dementors the summer before last,” Harry admitted. “Whenever we talk about ‘our world’ Dudley always mentions them.”

Dumbledore smiled. “Then there is something positive about your mutual experience. Be glad that your relationship has improved, Harry. You never know when Dudley might be instrumental in bridging the gap between you and his parents.”

“I’ll remember that, sir,” Harry murmured, looking at the parchment he still held. He cleared his throat and changed the subject. “I’ll have two more Horcruxes to look for, once Ravenclaw’s wand is found. Last time we talked, you said you thought you had located Hufflepuff’s cup and Slytherin’s locket. Where do you think we should look for them?”

For the next several minutes Professor Dumbledore spoke of his theories involving the two Horcruxes. Harry marvelled at the effort the Headmaster had put into his research; it had probably taken years to formulate his theories and Harry wondered where he had found the time.

Finally, Professor Dumbledore said, “Please remember, Harry, that young Tom Riddle loved to collect things. We know of three places where the Hufflepuff cup could be hidden: first, the Hufflepuff descendents’ family home which belonged to Hephzibah Smith and is full of the objects she coveted; second, a Gringotts vault; third, hidden in the Hufflepuff Museum where the cup could be kept safely under surveillance at all times. I would pursue all three places in our search for the cup because those are the most likely hiding spots. Do you agree?”

Harry nodded, and the two turned to subject of the locket. “I have already ruled out two places for I have searched them thoroughly,” Professor Dumbledore told Harry, his eyes dancing. “In the near future, I plan to search another very remote location that I cannot divulge at the moment. Would you, on a moment’s notice like to come with me, Harry, when the time comes?”

A grin split Harry face. “I would like that very much, sir. How will you notify me?”

“Most likely through Fawkes, for I will want to move quickly when the time comes. To that end, I request that you keep your Invisibility Cloak with you at all times. Will you do that for me, Harry?”

“I will, Professor,” Harry said, rising and handing the parchment back to Professor Dumbledore. The meeting seemed over and as Harry surveyed the Headmaster’s office, he felt the need to grab his Firebolt and take to the air, something he never had the chance to do during the summer unless he was at the Weasleys’. He gathered his courage and asked, “Would it be all right if I went for a flight around the grounds?”

Professor Dumbledore smiled again. “That would be fine as long as you stay within the castle boundaries, Harry. No flying over the Forbidden Forest.”

“Yes, sir!” Harry said enthusiastically and started for the door. He had his hand on the doorknob when Dumbledore’s voice made him turn around. “Would you like some company, Harry?”

Stunned, Harry could only gape at the Headmaster. “As a minder?” he managed, feeling his sense of freedom instantly abandon him.

“I would not ask to come if I thought you needed a minder, Harry. I offer only my companionship today. Hogwarts castle is beautiful from the air and it has been quite a long time since I have seen it from that particular angle.”

“Then I accept,” Harry said happily. “Shall we meet in the Entrance Hall in twenty minutes?”

Harry was ready in fifteen and spent the time remaining studying the plaques from the Hogsmeade battle while he waited for Professor Dumbledore. When the Headmaster arrived carrying an ancient-looking broom with the word “Moontrimmer 1902” painted on the handle, the two pushed through the front doors and stepped out into the warm Scottish summer day.

If we race, I’ll beat him hands down! Harry thought, eyeing the ancient broom as he swung his leg over his Firebolt. From his discussions with Ron concerning racing broom history, Harry knew he was facing an historic, but very slow, rival which his modern broom could easily out-fly.

They pushed off and quickly rose into the air, Harry in the lead. Soon, they were leisurely circling the castle, side by side, admiring the beauty of the ancient building. They flew higher and faster and soon were racing around the ramparts of the castle keep. Joy that only came from the freedom of being on a broom filled Harry, lifting his spirits as nothing else could. He glanced over at Professor Dumbledore and discovered the same blissful expression on the Headmaster’s face.

They zoomed around the outer perimeter of the Quidditch stadium and then Dumbledore led the way though the maze of towers and out over the lake. He made a tight circle, doubling back towards the school, and when Harry was within earshot, called “I bet you cannot beat an old codger around the lake, Harry!”

“Oh, yes, I can!” Harry called back.

“Then we will see.” Professor Dumbledore pointed towards the boat landing across the lake. “The start-finish line, Harry. Flying start. The last one to fly over the landing buys the butterbeer at The Three Broomsticks!”

“You’re on!” Harry yelled, grinning, and pulled up beside Professor Dumbledore. They flew evenly until they reached the boat docks, and on Harry’s count leaned forward on their brooms and shot forward.

As confident in his Firebolt’s abilities as he was, Harry received the surprise of his life when Professor Dumbledore passed him a quarter of the way around the lake. The Headmaster was bent low over his broom’s handle, urging every ounce of speed from the ancient Moontrimmer. Harry copied his posture and quickly drew alongside.

Suddenly, Professor Dumbledore dove towards the water, levelling out about ten feet from the iridescent surface. As Harry followed, he thought he heard screechy noises and looked down; the merfolk had surfaced and were yelling and pumping their fists in the air as the two sailed past. Encouraged, Harry willed his Firebolt even faster and skimmed the top of the water, passing Professor Dumbledore from below.

“Oh, no you don’t, you young whippersnapper!”

“Eat my dust!” Harry yelled over his shoulder, paraphrasing one of Dudley’s favourite telly cartoon characters.

The race continued around the lake and as they neared the castle, Professor Dumbledore passed Harry again, his long white beard streaming behind him from under his armpit. The sight was so funny that Harry momentarily lost concentration because he was laughing so hard, and he fell farther behind his quarry.

“Hey, no fair making me laugh,” he yelled, stretching out along the Firebolt’s handle so that his chin nearly touched its tip. His speed increased incrementally, gaining back the distance he’d lost. With painful slowness, Harry’s Firebolt drew alongside the Moontrimmer as they neared the boat docks again. The two fliers passed over the boats. The merpeople who had come to watch the finish laughed and pointed at Harry who had lost the race by a tail twig’s width.

“Good race, Harry!” Dumbledore exclaimed as they zoomed out over the middle of the lake on their cool-down lap. “I prefer my butter beer lightly chilled. How do you take it?”

Half an hour later, the two chose a corner table in the pub. Harry handed over his galleons to Madam Rosmerta and brought their drinks to their table.

“Thank you, Harry,” Professor Dumbledore said as he accepted his mug. He took a sip, smacking his lips. “I haven’t had that much fun in years.”

Harry grinned over the rim of his mug. “I’m glad. Now tell me about your broom...”










Reviews 392
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear