Search:

SIYE Time:21:20 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Book of Memories
By faded memories

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 16
Summary: Harry Potter is an Auror. When he is away on business, Ginny reads to their children from an old book about her and Harry.
Hitcount: Story Total: 26464; Chapter Total: 2555





Author's Notes:
Hope you like it.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Slowly, I closed the book my mother had read to me so often when I was young. I had just finished adding my own story to its yellowing pages.

After my abduction, they wanted to close down the school. I put my foot down, saying, “But it wasn’t Tom’s fault. His grandfather Imperioused him!”

Professor McGonagall also argued in favour of keeping Hogwarts open. She said that if Hogwarts closed down, there would be no place for young wizards and witches to learn magic. In the end, they just decided to investigate the school during the summer.
Tom and I went out again several times, and by the end of the year, we were very upset to say good-bye.

“Promise me you’ll owl?” I asked.

“I swear.” Those two words had become a sort of catchphrase for the two of us. “I'll se you at Diagon Alley on July 12, right?”

“Promise.” I kissed him. “If you do not owl me, I swear I will put a Bat-Bogey Hex on you.”

We owled back and forth almost daily, and when I got to the Leaky Cauldron, there he was, waiting for me. I pulled him into a hug and said, “I’ve missed you,” my words muffled.

“I’ve missed you, too, Lily. Hey, could you do me a favour?”

“What?”

“Would you please stop trying to break my ribs? I think you've succeeded.”

“Sorry.” I broke the hug.”

Tom and I stayed together as a couple all through the rest of our time at Hogwarts.
Right after the graduation ceremony, he pulled me aside to talk to me. “Lily, I just wanted to tell you that my time with you has been the best in my life. I know we probably won’t see each other after school.” He stopped, and I put my arms around him.

“Go on, love.”

He sighed. “Why did you have to be so damn perfect?” he said.

I was confused. “Tom, what’s wrong?”

“I’m moving to the States.” My smile faltered and tears began to fall down my face. “We can still see each other, but I think it will be hard to see each other in a romantic capacity. I’m not going to say ‘don’t cry,’ but I do wish my last memory of you would be a happy one.” He pulled out a small box. “I enchanted this music box to play a special song.” He handed me the box, and I opened it. On the inside was a banner that scrolled the words,

“‘Simple Together’: A Muggle Song
This is for you, Lily. Remember me.
- Tom”

In the centre of the music box, a figure of me danced with a figure of Tom. The song began to play.

You've been my golden best friend
Now with post-demise at hand
Can't go to you for consolation
Cause we're off limits during this transition
This grief overwhelms me
It burns in my stomach
And I can't stop bumping into things
I thought we'd be simple together
I thought we'd be happy together
Thought we'd be limitless together
I thought we'd be precious together
But I was sadly mistaken
You've been my soulmate and mentor
I remembered you the moment I met you
With you I knew God's face was handsome
With you I suffered an expansion
This loss is numbing me
It pierces my chest
And I can't stop dropping everything
I thought we'd be sexy together
Thought we'd be evolving together
I thought we'd have children together
I thought we'd be family together
But I was sadly mistaken
If I had a bill for all the philosophies I shared
If I had a penny for all the possibilities I presented
If I had a dime for every hand thrown up in the air
My wealth would render this no less severe
I thought we'd be genius together
I thought we'd be healing together
I thought we'd be growing together
Thought we'd be adventurous together
But I was sadly mistaken
Thought we'd be exploring together
Thought we'd be inspired together
I thought we'd be flying together
Thought we'd be on fire together
But I was sadly mistaken

[[‘Simple Together’ by Alanis Morrisette. No copyright infringement intended]]


My face was a mask of tears by that time. Tom put his arms around me in one final embrace. “I love you. You have been my everything. I really thought we could spend our lives together, but I guess I was wrong. I will never forget you Lily, not ever, I swear.” Tom started crying as well, so I hugged him tighter.

Choking back tears, I said, “Tom. I love you so, so much. Do you have to leave?” When Tom nodded, I said, “Well, can I have this last dance, then?” I slipped my hand into his and began swaying to the tune that was coming from my music box. We continued to dance long after the song ended.

When we finally stopped dancing, everyone else was gone.
Tom looked at his watch. “I’ve got to go, Lily dearest. My Portkey leaves in an hour.” He kissed me and left. Automatically, my hands moved to my mouth. I could not believe that Tom was going to the United States. 173.

I walked over to the Great Hall to pick up my trunk. Rose and Daisy were there waiting for me and they could tell that something was up.

Daisy put an arm around me and said, “What’s wrong, Lily?”

I shrugged off her embrace. I never wanted to feel someone’s touch unless it was Tom’s

“Lily?”

“I’m fine.”

I didn't begin to cry again until I was safely in my flat, and all the shades were drawn. Then, I flopped down on my bed and sobbed my heart out. I was woken several hours later by the screech of a barn owl. A letter was attached to its leg. I recognized Tom’s untidy scrawl on the outside of the envelope. Hastily, I pulled the letter out.

Dear Lily,

I have reached America safely, and I am getting settled into my flat. I start my job as the Junior Ambassador for Britain tomorrow.

All my love,
Tom

Tears began to pour down my face, and I threw the envelope down to the floor. A picture fluttered out of it. It was a picture of the two of us dancing at the Annual Christmas Ball in our sixth year. I turned the picture over, and the inscription on the back read, “Lily, I want you to know that I will love you until the day I die.”

I slipped the picture into a frame and went to bed.

Life without Tom was hard. It took me a few months to adjust to the fact that I could not just Floo over to his place because America wasn’t in Britain’s Floo network. Tom hadn’t written since that first letter, so I was pretty lonely.

One chilly November night, the same owl that had delivered Tom’s only letter came soaring through my window. The owl dropped a letter on my bed and soared off.

Dear Lily,

I have been able to get off work for a week in December, starting two days before Christmas, and I need a place to stay. Could I use your guest bedroom? Please send an owl back.

Tom

Quickly, I scribbled my reply and tied it to the leg of my owl.

“Go on, girl. Find Tom,” I whispered to the owl.

The next morning brought Tom’s reply.

Dear Lily,

Thank you! I’ll be at your front step in four days! Hope you are ready for me!

All my love,
Tom

I rushed around the flat, cleaning everything in sight both magically and the muggle way. I made the bed in the guest room; I scoured every single dish, pot, pan, spoon, fork, and bowl in the house. I replaced the all the flowers with fresh ones, and I polished all my mirrors.

Four days later, I heard a knock on my door. I opened it, and there was Tom. I threw my arms around him. “Tom! I haven’t seen you in ages! Is it just me or are you taller! Here, let me get your bags!”

Tom put a finger on my lips to quiet me before he covered his mouth with mine. “I’ve missed you, too, Lily. How is everyone?” he asked after breaking the kiss.

“Everyone’s doing good! Rose is expecting her second kid, and Daisy just had twins! Oh, your dad told me to give you this.” I handed him a scroll that Draco had given me the other day. “I don't know what it is, but your father said it was important that you get it before you go back. Tom scanned the scroll and his expression changed from confused to sad in a matter of seconds. I put a hand on his shoulder. “Tom? What’s wrong?”

He turned and faced me. “My mother has fallen ill and wants to see me,” he said. “Do you want to come?”

I slipped my hand into his. “Sure, Tom. Where is she? Mungo’s?”

“No. they didn’t know what’s wrong with her, so they sent her home. She's at Malfoy Manor.” He stepped into the grate, and I followed suit. Tom grabbed some Floo Powder and said, “Malfoy Manor!”

After our visit with Tom’s mother, we decided to stop over at Madame Puddifoot's for old time’s sake. Apparently, it was a Hogsmeade day at Hogwarts because there were many young couples snogging over cups of tea. Madame Puddifoot saw us inmediately and brought us over to our favourite table, one that overlooked the lake.

Tom turned to me and said, “Lily, my mom’s really sick, so I’m going to be staying in Britain now. Ummm… How to say this?” Tom took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Lily, I’ve missed having you with me and I was wondering…” he paused and got down on one knee. “Would you marry me?” He pulled a box out of his pocket and opened it. Inside was the most beautiful ring I had ever seen.

I pulled him into a hug and said, “Of course, dummy! I love you.”

I'm not going to say that we lived happily ever after, but, as some Muggle in some movie said, “The point isn’t that they lived happily ever after. The point is, they lived.”

A/N: The saying comes from the end of the movie “Ever After,” and the song is “simple Together,” by Alanis Morisette.
Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear