Search:

SIYE Time:23:47 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Lives We Touch
By Kennedy

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Sirius Black
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Rating: PG
Reviews: 152
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

When ten year old Harry Potter is assigned to Maggie Thompson's fifth year class at Little Whinging Primary School, the young teacher takes an immediate interest in and liking to the strange but sweet young boy. As their friendship grows through the years, Maggie finds herself pulled into a new world beyond her wildest imagination that sets her on a course for love and adventure.
Hitcount: Story Total: 67003; Chapter Total: 5573





Author's Notes:
I'm sorry for those of you who thought that I was going to continue the last chapter. But my intention was only to have Maggie drop Harry off after giving him a ride to London. She doesn't get pulled into his world until this chapter...

And once again, everything that happened in PoA and GoF have happened. The action picks up in this chapter during OoTP and my AU world should run parallel with Jo's from now on...I hope!

More A/N's follow at the end so as to not give the storyline away!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Eight - Lost in London

July 1995

Maggie Thompson was lost. Not that she would admit it to anyone except herself, but she was utterly, hopelessly, and completely lost. She had been following her friend, Alyssa Burns, through the jostling crowds of inner city London, but had, as usual, been distracted by something off to one side. When she had finally remembered to look back at Alyssa, her friend was gone.

It was easy to get lost in London. The city is huge and made up of so many smaller communities that it’s simple to just disappear. If someone is unfamiliar with it's inner workings, as Maggie was, it could be nearly impossible to find your way around. Fortunately, Maggie didn’t know the meaning of the word impossible and stubbornly refused to admit defeat. Glancing back down at her small handheld map, she prepared to spend as much time as was necessary trying to find something familiar to her.

She had lived in this city for over a year now and probably should have been more diligent in learning the parameters of her new surroundings. Little Whinging was so much easier to navigate and she found herself missing the simplicity of the sleepy suburb.

Chastising herself for being so distractible and so utterly naïve, Maggie continued to roam the streets of London as she tried to figure out the scribbled note that Alyssa had given her with the address to her flat. The more and more she squinted at the slip of paper and tried to look at it in different ways, the more it seemed to say something like havjillñeeu…

Panic crept in slowly while the young teacher still clung to the hope that perhaps Alyssa was merely a few feet in front of her, hidden by the crowds. The panic increased as her hope diminished with every passing step she took and there was still no sign of her friend. She silently cursed, eyes roving the faces of all who passed, trying to seek out someone friendly enough to ask for directions. If all else failed, she thought rationally, she would go back to the restaurant where they had eaten an early supper and wait for Alyssa to come find her.

But the afternoon sun was already beginning to sink and the moon was rising as the cool summer night’s air made her quiver, her hair dancing in the breeze as her skirt blew unceremoniously around her bare legs. Maggie turned off the main road and onto a side street as the street lights flooded on, giving off a pale yellow light that made everything look more dangerous and the shadows look even more ominous. At this, the blond teacher looked around to take in her surroundings. Her piercing violet gaze saw nothing of too much interest.,,,a few abandoned houses with boards covering the windows, a raucous bar on the corner, and a street sign with the words Grimmauld Place hanging directly above her.

"Damn it!" She swore loudly, drawing the attention of several passers-by. She smiled apologetically, hoping someone would be nice enough to ask her why she was cursing. No one did.

The road named Grimmauld Place was nearly deserted, save for a tall man standing about halfway down the street and who looked to be wearing a long cloak and hood in the middle of summer.

“Excuse me?” Maggie asked in a squeak of a voice when the cloaked man was within earshot. “Can you help me?”

The man just stood there and it was impossible to see who he was, as the hood hung far down in front of his face. Maggie suddenly got an incredibly eerie feeling. It was if someone besides the stranger were watching her…something powerful and deadly at the same time. The night felt suddenly and unnaturally dark and sinister, as Maggie’s trembling hand clutched her shoulder bag at her hip to keep it from rebounding.

“I seemed to have taken a wrong turn somewhere,” she said, figuring that since she had already approached the man it would seem weird if she simply turned and walked away from him. “I need to get back to Copenhagen Street, but I think that I turned off too soon and…”

She stopped mid-question when she realized that the figure was breathing awfully harshly. If Maggie didn't know any better, she could have sworn the person was having some sort of an asthma attack. The hooded figure nodded his head and suddenly something that greatly resembled a wand appeared from within the folds of the cloak and was pointed at her chest.

“Keep moving,” the figure snarled at her and Maggie caught a glimpse of wisps of platinum blond hair escaping from his hood.

Stumbling backwards, Maggie turned and ran as fast as she could in her fancy heels. Jumping a nearby curb, her feet slapped upon the damp concrete and the sound repeated itself like a homing beacon. An eerie mist smothered what lights illuminated the street and gave the surrounding buildings an ethereal appearance as she ran briskly through the drifting haze. Quickening her pace, Maggie would have given anything to see something, someone, any sign of life. She could hear voices, distant calls like rebellious children and disappointed parents as the stars shone lightly above her and a faint strip of moonlight escaped the scattered cloud cover.

Emerging from around a bend, Maggie finally saw a young man as he casually strolled along with his large, black dog. His face was obscured in the shadow of overhangs and he seemed to be chatting away with his dog as his indecipherable yet accented voice carried on the wind.

“Miss Thompson?”

The broken street lights above him suddenly made the young man’s face visible and it looked surprisingly tired for his age. But aside from that small detail, Maggie knew without hesitation that she was looking into the face of Harry Potter.

“Harry!”

Maggie slowed down as she reached him and threw her arms around his neck without thinking.

“Miss Thompson?”

The confusion in Harry‘s voice jerked Maggie back to reality and she quickly let go of the hold she had on her former student as she stepped back from him. As his dog growled protectively down by his side, Maggie couldn‘t hide her deep blush as she stammered out an apology.

“I‘m sorry, Harry,” she mumbled, eyeing the dog with the sharp, white teeth warily, “I just had a bit of a fright back there on the street and I was so happy to see a familiar face…and then it turned out to be your face and….what are you doing here in London?“

Harry had to chuckle at the wild look in his former teacher’s eyes and her abrupt change of subject. “I live here,” he told her, unable to keep the smile off of his face as he gestured absently to the row of houses behind him, “with my godfather.”

“You have a godfather?” Maggie asked in surprise as Harry nodded. “Well, that’s wonderful. But, I thought that the Dursleys were your only family left after the accident?”

“Yeah, the accident,” the dark haired boy, who was no longer a boy, mumbled with a frown. But he looked down at his dog and a smile came to his face as he told her, “But we were wrong about that…I have a new family now.”

Maggie glanced in confusion down at the dog and thought for a moment that it looked eerily familiar to her. But she didn’t have time to give it much thought as Harry took that opportunity to ask her, “What are you doing here on Grimmauld Place, Miss Thompson?”

“Is that where I am?” she asked before her brain caught up and she remembered the street sign that she seen earlier. Chuckling, she added, “Well, I am here purely by accident. I teach at a Primary School in London now, Harry, and am afraid that I haven’t really taken the time to find my way around this city yet. As I was following a friend back to her flat, we got separated and I took a few wrong turns and,” Maggie made a funny face and held out her arms helplessly as she finished, “here I am.”

“And something scared you?” He asked, looking cautiously in the direction where she had just been.

“Yes, it was very strange actually,” Maggie told him, looking over her shoulder for the cloaked figure that seemed to have disappeared. “I asked this man for directions and he was wearing this long cloak and a hood…like he was trying to disguise himself or something. But, if you ask me, he stood out like a sore thumb in that get up.” She frowned as Harry’s eyes suddenly began darting around the deserted street, but continued, “He was breathing heavily and then he held this stick out at me and told me to ’keep moving’. It was more strange than scary and I…”

Maggie’s words were cut off by a sudden low growl that emanated up from Harry’s dog before he began barking loudly.

“Snuffles?” Harry asked, looking down at the dog in concern. “Do you see something?”

“Snuffles?” Maggie repeated with a grin. “That ferocious looking thing is called ’Snuffles’?”

But Harry was ignoring her as he focused intently on the movements of his dog.

“They’re here, aren’t they?” he asked nervously. “His Death Eaters have found us.”

“Death Eaters?” Maggie repeated again, not liking the look on Harry’s face or the sudden attack position of his dog. Looking around the darkened area, she whispered, “Harry, what is going on?”

And then, without warning, she watched in horror as Harry’s shaggy, black dog stood on his back paws and suddenly transformed himself into a man amidst a cloud of wispy, white smoke.

“What the hell?” Maggie swore as fear coursed through her body. She instinctively stepped between Harry and the man who had been a dog only moments before as she hissed, “Harry, run away! Now!”

“No, Miss Thompson, you don’t understand….”

The man took a step forward and Maggie moved both herself and Harry back as he screamed at her, “Bloody Hell, woman! Don’t you know that you’re in danger here?”

“Harry, run!” Maggie screamed, giving the boy a shove with her shoulder.

“Harry, grab onto my arm,” The strange dog-man commanded, looking past her and at her former student. “We have to get back inside.”

To Maggie’s complete surprise, Harry did as he said. He stepped around her and grabbed onto the monster’s arm as he asked quickly, “What about Miss Thompson?”

“She’s coming with us.”

“I’m not going anywhere with you,“ Maggie hissed again as the dark man moved toward her again. She stumbled as her back foot stepped off the curb and down onto the street and he took that opportunity to snake his free arm around her waist as he pulled her roughly against his lanky form. Maggie immediately began pounding against his chest with her fists as she screamed, “Let me go! Get off of me! Don’t touch me!”

“Damn it, hold still…ouch, that hurt!”

“Don’t struggle, Miss Thompson,” Harry warned, peering at her from his place on her captor’s other side. “You might get splinched!”

“Splinched?”

And that was the last thought that ran through Maggie Thompson’s head as the three of them turned on the spot and her entire world went black.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N - Okay, a few things...

I have no idea if more than one person can side-along apparate at the same time, but for the sake of this story they can. I figured that Sirius was a powerful enough wizard to accomplish it.

And I didn't know if they were able to apparate in and out of Grimmauld Place. I know that Fred and George apparated within it and Yaxley apparated past the charm in DH, so I took a little creative license to get them back into the house!





Reviews 152
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear