Search:

SIYE Time:4:50 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Songbird
By Spidey

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:All
Genres: Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 5
Summary: Songbird you got tales to tell...
Hitcount: Story Total: 3351



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
the song is by Bernard Fanning, an Australian artist, i dont own the song and i dont own the characters or j.k's universe, i own just my plot. this wonderful litlle peice of fluff came to me and was written within the hour...i have been meaning to write the other 3 or 4 im working on, but this came outta the blue and wouldnt leave till i wrote it down. please r&r




ChapterPrinter


I’m just a little songbird.

I wake with the morning light.

I can see a lot, I can hear a lot, I give a lot.

I live in a tree, a few yards from a huge rickety old house; all the inhabitants have red hair. Every morning, a plump red haired woman walks down to the kitchen, opens the window and begins making breakfast.

And every morning, I fly down and sit on the window sill and sing to her.

She seems to like it, she smiles and hums along with me, she feeds me bits of sweet biscuit, and out stretches her finger to rub my little chest, and she’s my friend.

Then, the oldest man with red hair comes down to greet her good morning, and every morning as he walks past me, he stretches out his finger to stroke the top of my head.

“Good morning, little bluebird.”

I don’t know how many times I need to tell him, just because I am blue, does not make me a bluebird, I am a songbird, I sing the morning, therefore I’m a songbird.

*~*~*~*
I wish I knew wish button to push
Then I'd know how to please you
It's sad but true
So I'll just listen in down the line
While you're busy mixing grape with grain
To sedate your pain
*~*~*~*

I have seen the three eldest boys grow and move on from their nest, now all that remains is the two boys who are identical, followed by their youngest brother, and finally the charming girl I have come to know as Ginny, she is the sweetest to me.

Over the summers though I have noticed two more guests have joined this home, one girl with bushy brown hair, (though it's not as bad as it was) and a boy with eyes a vivid green and hair as black as the crow that continues to destroy my nest.

I have watched the youngest brother and the brown haired girl fall for each other over each summer, though they are yet to admit it.

I have also watched the boy with green eyes and Ginny fall for each other too.

Interrupted by my musings, the twins have come down for breakfast. I am the one who wakes up Ginny.

I always perch on her window sill and herald the morning song to her. She can easily hear me because her bed is underneath the window sill. I watch her stir as the delicate sunlight casts its rays around her. Her hair glows many shades of red, and I see her smile before she opens her eyes to stare upside down at me.

“Good morning, my little songbird,” she says as she sits up.

I happily flutter in through the window and perch myself on her open palms. She moves me closer to her face and lightly kisses me on the head.

“I do hope mother fed you?”

I chirp a happy reply, she smiles at me.

“You are much better than that alarm clock; much more effective too”

She smiles as she places me on the window sill, I begin to sing for her as she changes and gets herself ready for the day ahead.

“Songbird,” she says turning to look at me, she comes closer and kneels down, and lightly pats my wings folded at my side.

“Harry will be here today, so if I can I will still bring you morning tea. Maybe Harry can help us out on how to get rid of that mean old crow”

I chirp happily, if that crow could leave me alone I would be most grateful.

*~*~*~*
Songbird, you got tales to tell
How many times can you describe your living hell?
*~*~*~*

I await Harry’s arrival; it saddens me because he is a torn spirit. Sometimes, during the last summer, he came and sat under my tree. On numerous occasions he has watched me as I twitter about. Most recently, I have fluttered down and moved about on the ground at his side. He talks to me; he tells me things that he tells no one else. He tells me how scared he is, how upset he is, but mostly he tells me how he loves Ginny, but he distances himself from her to keep her out of harms reach. I agree with him, but he also must realise that Ginny is more than capable of defending and looking after herself. I tell him how she cried to me when she came home last summer, to see a person as strong as Ginny break into pieces is unnerving. They need each other more than they think. It’s like an apple and the tree, the apple needs the tree to survive, to ripen and get the adequate water and shade it needs, while the tree needs the apple to regenerate over its branches to it can provide food for the people who need it.

He likes my tree; he feeds me sweet biscuits that he has brought from the house. He doesn’t like the crow either. With its black eyes and black feathers, it reminds me of death. The crow always stalks around us looking for spare bits of biscuit the boy throws to me. On more than one occasion, the crow has attacked me with its talons to get the food it wants. The boy is quick to act, he shoos it away, but it will always come back.

Sometimes when the boys cries, when he unloads his heart to me, he puts his head back against the tree and I sing to him. When he feels better he always outstretches his finger, I hop on and he brings me closer to him. He studies me closely.

“Little bird, you are no phoenix, but you’re damn near close.”

I puff my chest out proudly, I’m better than a phoenix.

*~*~*~*
The sweeping gesture creates a fuss
It's only useful when receiving praise
Relieving no-ones pain
If you'd let somebody love you just enough
You'd have everything you'd need to break
Free from all your pain
*~*~*~*

I watch from my branch as Ginny, and the green eyed boy, who I’ve come know as Harry, come towards me, they are laughing and talking and smiling at each other. If only Harry knew. If he let Ginny love him just enough, he would break free from all his pain, he would be happy.

I twitter excitedly as I notice Ginny has brought me those sweet biscuits I love so much. In her other hand she has a few pieces of wood, a hammer and nails, I wonder what she could possibly be doing.

“Songbird,” she calls softly. “I have morning tea”

I flutter down from my perch and land gracefully on her finger, she sits down and breaks up a biscuit and places the pieces before me.

“Harry and I are going to make you a house, so that the crow won’t upset you anymore”

They’re making me a house? My own little house so that I’ll be safe from the crows intrusions. I love Ginny, she is a genius.

I eat the biscuits as she and Harry start to build my house. Harry shows her what to do, and they continue to talk and laugh, the sound is like a lullaby, I continue to watch them and wonder if Harry will work up the courage to tell her he loves her.

I watch as they steal glances from each other, as hands accidentally caress the other. Then out of nowhere that crow flies down and steals something from Ginny’s hair, she cries out in surprise.

“Stupid crow,” Harry growls.

He pulls out a stick from his pocket.

“Accio hair pin,” and Ginny’s hair pin zooms into is hand.

“Thank you Harry.” She leans over and gives him a light kiss on his lips.

I can see why the crow wanted it, it sparkles, and it’s very pretty. It’s a flower with yellow jewels encrusted into it, I watch Harry as she places the decoration back into her hair. He’s a light shade of pink.

“Well…I…uh…did but that for you I don’t want the crow to have it.”

They sit in silence for a bit continuing to build my little house. Ginny has a small smile on her face as she continues to feed me bits of biscuit.

“I love you,” Harry blurts out.

Both Ginny and I look up at him. She smiles at him.

“I love you,” she states simply. And between the silences so much is said, so much is forgiven and forgotten.

*~*~*~*
Songbird, you got tales to tell
How many times can you describe your living hell?
*~*~*~*

They finally finish my house, all they need to do is put the roof on it. I watch as Ginny climbs up the tree with my house, she sits on the branch and carefully picks up my nest and places it in the box.

Harry passes her the roof and she fixes it into place with the hammer and nails. She wedges in between the branch and the tree so it won't fall.

“Songbird, come and look.” She holds out her hand.

I fly up and land in her hand as moves me closer to my house, the entrance has a small circle big enough for me to fit through, inside is my nest, its warm, and it will protect me from wind rain and that crow that always pesters me.

I come out of my house and chirp a happy little “thank you” to Ginny and her Harry. The both smile at me. Harry helps her down from the tree.

“Little Bird seems to like it huh?” Harry asks. Ginny smiles at him.

“I’ll see you tomorrow morning songbird.” Ginny calls to me as she walks away, Harry following behind.

I sing for them as Harry’s hand entwines with hers as they make their way back to their house.

*~*~*~*
If you'd let somebody love you just enough.
*~*~*~*
Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear