Search:

SIYE Time:8:34 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Series Prologue
By TrainzStoffe

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:None
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Rating: PG
Reviews: 0
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

This is the series prologue for my "Mere fluke" universe. It's style is rather different than the rest of the writing, and this story exists to give some sort of background and credibility, aside from being very fun and interesting to write!

It will only be a single chapter, but I'll leave it as "unfinished" since I might change stuff later (see my bio for more explanation)
Hitcount: Story Total: 2913



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Yay! My first piece of writing here... go visit my bio for further explanation, but this story (and all others) are subject to change without notice as I get further into the writing and my skills improve. This prologue was really fun and interesting to write, and takes place some 200 or so years after the story I'm going to write, even though it's a prologue... just read and you'll understand!




ChapterPrinter


Sophie Potter smiled when she saw the owl in the distance, approaching fast. It was carrying the latest issue of her favourite magazine, Incredibly Complex And Normally Determined Obscure Magic, or I-CAN-DO-Magic for short. She was more excited than normal, because this issue would feature a very special article, written by herself. She carefully unrolled it, paid the bird a Galleon for this year's subscription cost, and went to her favourite chair to read it.

~*~

I CAN DO Magic, issue 412. Page 8, by Sophie Potter.

Every day, each one of us is faced with an almost uncountable amount of options and choices. The world we perceive around us seems to follow the options we choose, the choices we make. But what about all the other options? All the unused choices? What happens to them? Are they simply discarded?

Perhaps Douglas Adams wasn't too far off with his descriptions of reality and of the different dimensions. But he certainly was not working in the Department of Mysteries, studying time-space continuum and its implications. Throughout the years, the joint Department of Mysteries for the Ministries of Magic on the British Isles has been at the forefront of the study of this in the world and it has attracted many researchers - more or less famous, but all equally skilled - from all over the world.

Who hasn't heard of the impossible breakthrough and realization made in 1829 by Emma Smith-Smith-Smith, who discovered that her last name was the result of a bizarre accident involving time travel and a piece of coal? The most current rumour seems to be that she is her own mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. Who isn't familiar with the partially crazy Dr. Eddison Gray and his identical twin brother also named Dr. Eddison Gray, who claimed to simply be two representations of the same being, who were from two different realities but coexisted in one?

But perhaps it was a humble janitor that put it best, and really put the mystery in the Department of Mysteries, when he, as the first person ever was allowed to be interviewed by the. His answers consisted solely of “Peppermint Gum” or “Quidditch Hoops” to every question. The Department itself was busy for years afterwards, trying to decipher his answers, not to mention the free press.

However, today is a rare treat, a small glimpse into a very interesting field that is studied deep within the Department. Today, a reliable source of information is ready to be released from the Department. Yes, dear reader, that is true. The Department of Mysteries has actually made a breakthrough so big and studied it so completely that it is ready to be released to the general public. And the subject is, as we have already hinted at, dimensions and the time-space continuum. We are proud to present you, dear reader, with a transcript of the original paper published earlier today, as interpreted by The Foot of the Department of Mysteries herself, Madam Mariah Antonina Dou.

“To answer your questions, I would say, and this is according to what that the paper says, that 'Each untaken option, all the unused choices, are in fact represented elsewhere, in another world, represented on another place in the dimensions.' For every time someone answers ”yes”, there is another world where the exact same person in the exact same situation answers ”no”. The deviations from the world we occupy and know are sometimes small and sometimes big, but no two worlds are exactly alike.”

“But there are general themes across them all. Some things just seem to happen in each of these worlds, one way or another. Some call this Fate. Others call it Divine Intervention or a Divine Plan. Whatever the everyday man calls it, and if they believe in it or not, some things are constant. This is why we recognise events when we occasionally gain a glimpse of another reality. It is also this that the true so called Seers use — they try to figure out what events are constant from their cross‑reality glimpses. The uncertainty of this is what makes Divination such a diffuse subject, and this is also the reason that star-gazing can be employed with rather better success than the other forms of Divination — the stars are so far away that we can only see their positions, and thus, they seem to be constant across realities.”

“To travel between realities is theoretically possible, and this is perhaps what is most amazing. There is only the slight problem that the energy required to move just the smallest atom is greater than that contained in all the infinite realities put together. Information doesn't have mass, though, so it can travel freely. The important thing to remember, though, is that there is no way to change another reality by sending information there. If we were to succeed in changing something, it would only be because Fate — or whatever it is called — allowed it to affect that reality. If something turned out 'differently', it only did so because it was supposed to, not because we did something.”

~*~

Sophie smiled as she paused her reading — the article became more and more complex as it went on. She was proud of her own work. More importantly, perhaps, was that her multi-great grandfather, The Harry Potter, Saviour of the Wizarding World, would have been proud. She was lucky to have been able to talk to him in person and ask him a whole hoard of questions on the subject before he had happily passed on to the next great adventure a few years ago. Her smile widened as she heard his voice, like she had so many times before, as he told various stories. Her next story, however, the one she could hear inside her now, was not like most other. This one had been just for her, to be published after he and everyone from those days was gone.

In this particular reality it had been a fluke. Just good luck. But it had been done, and that was what mattered. Only a handful of people knew the truth. The rest of the Wizarding world thought it had been another one of Albus Dumbledore's endless, well planned schemes.

For one Harry Potter, nothing out of the ordinary had happened until the summer before his fifth year. Not that anything ”ordinary” ever seemed to happen to him. But thinking back, it was this summer that would always mark the point of change...
Reviews 0
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear