Search:

SIYE Time:7:48 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Grey Maiden V: Sacrifice
By Chris Widger

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 114
Summary: After 13 years, Lord Voldemort has risen again, and set his sights on conquering the Wizarding world. All that may stand in his way is Harry Potter, who must heal, train, and learn the lessons of life on the fly, while friendship, romance, alliances, and his own life hang in the balance. On top of all of this, Harry must cope with the consequences of his guardian’s inevitable fall into Darkness, and a Ministry determined to bury the truth.
Hitcount: Story Total: 92962; Chapter Total: 5646





Author's Notes:
Trying something new here.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter


Chapter 1: Correspondences

The Daily Prophet

June 28th Edition

RENOWNED PHILANTHROPIST FOUND MURDERED !

NO LEADS IN DEATH OF WELL-KNOWN PUREBLOOD!


ASSOCIATED WIZARDING PRESS

London, England

The discovery of the body of one of St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries’s most generous benefactors by Muggle police has sent shockwaves through the Ministry of Magic and the wizarding community as a whole. Thomas Wagner Avery, who began making his substantial annual donations to the hospital after he was acquitted of charges of murder and torture by reason of being under the influence of the Imperius Curse, was also an honored guest at dozens of fundraising events each year.

Mr. Avery said in a 1988 interview, “After the terrible ordeal I suffered, I decided that, despite the fact that I had been legally forgiven, it did not erase the terrible things that I had done. Although I could not bring back those I was forced to kill, I could do right by their memories. I am a man of significant wealth, and I wanted to share that wealth, and perhaps to atone for my crimes. I picked St. Mungo’s because it is a place where endangered lives are preserved.”

Mr. Avery also made frequent donations to various charities, funded the construction of the Veteran’s Center at the hospital for those still struggling to overcome their wounds, physical and mental, suffered in the war against He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named over a decade ago.

The body was discovered in a sparsely populated area of London’s East End, which has raised a number of questions. No witnesses could be found to help solve the mystery of what a man such as Mr. Avery was doing in such a poor neighborhood. Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, Amelia Bones, issued a statement a few hours after the body was found, saying that a Killing Curse had been used to murder Mr. Avery. The statement also suggested that Mr. Avery’s body had shown signs of torture.

Mr. Avery’s wife, Electra, 47, and son, Nathan, 17, could not be reached for comment. Nathan Avery will be a Seventh Year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year. His sister, Lysetta, 11, is an entering First Year.

So far, there are no leads in this high-profile case, although the office of Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge has assured the media that the Department of Magical Law Enforcement is making this case its number one priority. Mr. Avery’s death comes just a few months after the suspicious death of another well-known public figure, Head of the Department for International Magical Cooperation Bartemius Crouch, a crime that remains unsolved.


3rd July 1995

Dressler Manor

Hampshire, England


Dear Ginny,

Yes, I did appreciate your little gift. Next time, you might consider giving me a bit more information before you send me a nondescript black box. I agonized over the decision to open it. Given a certain two individuals in your family, you can understand my caution.

As for what I’ve been up to, that hasn’t changed. I asked Daphne to teach me to hold my own against a good Death Eater, and that’s what she’s trying to do. It’s not so much a matter of learning new spells; the ones I’m proficient at are more than powerful enough. It’s a matter of efficiency, strategy, and endurance. I’ve been working even harder on my physical training. Daphne employs a very aggressive dueling technique, one that’s quite similar to your own, actually. But she thinks I ought to work with a more balanced technique of defense and offense for now. That’s the way Moody taught her, and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?

Well, my arm’s pretty well healed, except for the scars. Not much I can do about them. Merlin, I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to thank Neville enough. And I suppose I ought to thank Hermione too, since he found the clue that led him to investigate the healing effects of Briar’s Knotweed in the book she got him for Christmas. That potion Snape brewed has sped the rate of healing four or five-fold, even if it took him over a week to actually listen to something proposed by Neville. To be fair, Neville hasn’t exactly earned Snape’s trust, but still…

It’s really quite a relief, actually. I was frightened for a while there I might have to start all over again. Wand movements are heavily dependent on muscle memory, plus since I’m right-handed, my left hand was pretty weak.

No, I haven’t been having any more dreams. My scar’s burned a bit, but there haven’t been any accompanying images. Voldemort’s lying low right now, aggressively recruiting here and on the continent. Daphne reckons he knows that even Fudge would have to see sense if he started moving aggressively.

We might not be here for all that much longer. Daphne’s not completely sure, but it’s possible that someone tried to breach the wards surrounding Dressler Manor. So a move to Headquarters might be in the near future. I’m not really looking forward to it.

I really do miss you, Gin. I’m sorry we haven’t been able to spend time together, but between my training and the danger that we’re all in, it’s probably best that you stay with your family at the Burrow. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to spend some time together soon.

Haven’t heard from Blaise since we got back, but that’s no surprise; he doesn’t strike me as much of a letter writer. Luna’s sent me some riddles, but I can’t make the slightest sense of them. I’m starting to wonder if she doesn’t even want me to actually find solutions to them. She’s like that. She’s really special, Gin, even I can’t tell you exactly how without betraying her confidence. Just trust me when I say that she isn’t half as crazy as she might seem. She just sees the world a bit differently than everyone else.

Remus wrote back, although the contents of his latest letter weren’t nearly as earth shattering. He’s doing well, spending a lot of time at Headquarters. He didn’t tell me about it, but Daphne says he’s been trying to infiltrate werewolf packs in England, trying to measure their allegiance to both sides, maybe sway them over to us. It’s worth a try, even if it will likely come to nothing.

No, I haven’t forgotten the fact that you have been practicing this Summer with the intent of seizing one of the empty Chaser spots on the Slytherin team. Or that it’s practically yours to lose. Pucey’s the captain, but he’s a little more concerned about actual talent than Flint ever was. There’s a story that the only reason he let Maggie Bletchley on the team was because he once came upon her pummeling a First Year for bumping into her and being too scared to apologize. Charming girl, really. Point is, if you fly at half your ability, you’ll still run rings around the Slytherin Sloth. Sadly, Draco’s probably got the other spot wrapped up. I do promise you that if it worse comes to worst, he’ll be the one getting blasted off his broom.

Got to cut this short, unfortunately. Daphne’s going to spend the evening at Headquarters, but she wants to teach me the Servos Shield before she goes. The thing is one of the most bloody complicated spells I’ve ever seen in my life. And right dangerous, too. I’ll be careful, don’t worry.

Your ever-adoring boyfriend,

Harry


5th July 1995

The Burrow

Ottery St. Catchpole

Devon, England


Dear Harry,

You stupid prat! Do you really think I’d send you a pranked get-well present? I bloody well hope you didn’t destroy that healing amulet (and yes, it’s a real one, you cynical git) in the process of “investigating” the contents. Merlin, Harry, you’d think three years of friendship and coming up on six months of dating, you might have learned to trust me a bit.

In the future, I will explicitly state what each of your presents from me contains several weeks in advance, and utterly destroy any possibility of you being surprised by my thoughtfulness. Will that make you happy?

Life at the Burrow is…rather boring, actually. Mum and Dad keep getting called away to Order Headquarters, leaving Percy in charge of the family. Oh, and Fred and George just passed their Apparition tests. They seem to have a primal need to remind everyone in the house of that fact every few minutes. Two days ago, they Apparated into my bedroom. At 8 o’clock in the morning. Just after my morning shower. While I was getting dressed. Thank Merlin I was already wearing undergarments, else all three might of us might have died of embarrassment. I would have hexed both of them to within an inch of their lives, but I tripped over the jeans I’d just started putting on, and couldn’t get to my wand in time. Mum wasn’t pleased about the scorch marks on the wall, though.

But, outside of that little…incident, things have been quiet here. Percy’s getting ready to move out; his promotion to Minister Fudge’s personal assistant also included a big pay raise, and he’s picked out a nice flat in London, a few blocks from the Ministry. As you might expect, he’s absolutely appalled by your behavior toward his boss, and none-too-pleased about the staying power of our relationship. I sense rocky waters ahead. He’s always been the most displeased of us about our financial situation. Really, I’m surprised he wasn’t the first Slytherin Weasley. Maybe there’s a little Gryffindor in him, but I’ve yet to see any evidence of it.

Ron’s been rather quiet all summer long. Hasn’t uttered more than two or three disparaging comments about you or Slytherins in general the whole time. He’s working really hard on Quidditch. Wood’s gone, so they’ve got an open Keeper spot, but they don’t have a Seeker either. Ron’s actually succeeded in hiding which position he’s trying out for. It’s a bit bothersome, really. I just wish he’d see that the fact that I’m Slytherin doesn’t change the fact that I love him, and that I’m still his sister. I suppose the silence is a step in the right direction, though.

Hermione’s really anxious to see both of us, I gather. She’s also excited to see Neville. They get along pretty well. I suppose it helps them both, having another Gryffindor to relate to. No spectacular vacations this summer, apparently. Her parents have been very busy recently, moving their office to a more central location. So she’s been stuck at home, reading. Quite a shocker, that last one. The hope is that she might come in a few weeks to stay the rest of the summer with us. Because she’s your best friend, she’s an obvious target, or so the Order reckons. They don’t want to worry her parents, so they are going to give them some time with their daughter. Hermione doesn’t always include everything she’s feeling in her letters, and reading between the lines, I think she’s going stir-crazy. You know her, always needing an outlet for all the stuff she insists upon cramming into the small head of hers. Well, she can’t exactly discuss preparations for the O.W.L.s with her Muggle neighbors. And she’s been having some other problems with the locals. A whole bunch of the brighter ones came up to her and asked her where she really went to school, because they got suspicious and somehow accessed the roster of the school her parents claim she goes to, which, of course, she isn’t on. Apparently, they used these computing things; you probably know more than I do. Well, not only are they constantly wondering what she’s up to, but one of them, a boy Hermione describes as, and I quote, “A shorter version of Harry with brown eyes and softer facial features,” named Paxton Evans, had apparently developed a bit of a crush on her, or so she thinks. The boy keeps coming up to her in the local library, and asked her to a Muggle moving picture place last week. She begged off, but the kid’s rather persistent. Poor Hermione. She’s been keeping up with Krum, by the way, who invited her to Bulgaria to visit him. Again, she declined. Krum really likes her, but I just don’t think the feelings are reciprocated. Oh well. I’d like to see Hermione get a boyfriend. Might make her a tad less neurotic.

You’re damn right I’m going to get one of those spots! Well, at least I hope that’s the case. I’ve been working my tail off, working on my passing more than anything else.

I’m glad to hear about your arm. Believe me, I was pretty frightened by the slow rate of healing too. Careful with poor Neville though. Too many compliments might induce seizures.

Either you’re holding back, or I’m just soppier than I care to admit, because I miss you so much it’s practically causing me physical pain. I understand about the security arrangements, but still, it’s ridiculous we haven’t seen each other since the end of term. Maybe I ought to just suck it up, and stop complaining. Sounds more Slytherin, really.

Best to end this before I embarrass myself even further, I reckon.

Hope to see you soon.

Your ever-faithful and Boy-Who-Lived-infatuated girlfriend,

Ginny


6th July 1995

The Zabini Family Estate

Tuscany, Italy


Dear Harry,

Writing to you from sunny and pleasant Tuscany this time. Dad’s family is from this area originally, so we use it as a bit of a vacation spot, even if we live on a permanent basis at the house in Oxfordshire. Had a chance to reconnect with a few extended family members, including a few younger cousins. Don’t really know them all that well, to be perfectly honest, but they’re pretty bright. One of them, Dante, has a little talent with wandless magic. He’s the oldest of them, at twelve, and he goes to a small wizarding academy in Naples. It’s a decent school, so I hear, but it’s got nothing on Hogwarts. No Quidditch teams either.

Like I said, we’re ostensibly here to enjoy a little family vacation as the world starts to fall apart around us, but I think the real reason is that Dad’s trying to re-establish some old family acquaintances. Actually, I reckon he’s trying to set up a safety net if the Dark Lord should win out in Great Britain. They’re on your side, of course, but Mum and Dad were never accused of being reckless or really dedicated to any cause besides the family itself. We Zabinis are survivors. Best case scenario is that we might be able to bring in a few families from the area into the fight against the Dark Lord, though I’m not all that optimistic. Even if they do come, you’ll have a hell of a time convincing them to fight for you. Then again, you seem to have made a life out of exceeding expectations.

I’m with you, Harry, no matter what Mum and Dad decide to do. I’ve been looking for a person I respected enough to follow for quite some time, and I’m dead certain I’ve found him. I’m your friend, and I’m going to stick by you, even if my parents don’t approve. It’s high time I started living my own life anyway. Hopefully, we’ll all fight alongside you, of course.

We didn’t really get that much of a chance to talk about everything that happened. Yeah, I know you told us, but that was more of a narrative than an actual conversation. Regardless, it’s enough to give me nightmares, and I just heard a vague second-hand account. If there’s anything I can do, I’d be happy to help.

Think Hermione might have softened a bit on me? I sort of understand where her resentment comes from, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what I’ve done to piss her off so royally. She finds a way to criticize practically everything I do. It’s not all that flattering, to be perfectly honest.

Well, I’ve been training with Dad. Though I don’t have the temperament to be a real Illusionist, he’s still taught me a whole bunch of wicked tricks. Some of them might be right useful in a duel. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to show a few of them to you when we see each other next. Oh, and Dad’s pushing me to keep practicing with the swords again. Really, I can find some practical value in it, but it’s bloody exhausting. Real, Goblin-made swords can’t be lightened all that much before they start resisting the effects of the magic. Still, you ought to give it a go. At this point you’ll need every weapon you can get.

There’s one last thing. Mum and Dad want to know about the Order of the Phoenix. They already know it’s started up again, and all three of us understand that you can’t tell us anything sensitive, but that’s not what we want to know. Imagine a purely hypothetical situation where a certain family with a long lineage of Dark wizards and witches wanted to join. Would that even be possible? We just would like to hear your take on that. Dad thinks Dumbledore’s a bit of an idiot for refusing the services of Dark wizards in the last war on the basis of principle. Lucky you came along, or that devotion to principle might well have cost them the war. Mum and Dad are pleased to hear you won’t make the same mistakes, though Dad says you shouldn’t forget the other side either. He’s not overly fond of Light wizards — thinks they’re quite arrogant and full of pompous self-righteousness — but he’ll still admit that you’ll need their help as much as you’ll need the Dark families or the Muggleborns or anybody eels. Maybe more. Mum agrees with your thoughts concerning the sentiment in Germany and the surrounding area, and she’s definitely a bit worried.

Hope you’re healing well. Stay strong.

Blaise Adonis Zabini


11th July 1995

Greengrass Manor

Cornwall, England


Dear Harry,

It’s been quite some time since we’ve spoken, but in light of recent events, I though it appropriate to re-establish contact.

I must admit, Harry, that you continue to amaze me. I’m am certain that I will never learn the full story of how you managed to escape from the Dark Lord and his followers, but rest assured that I will try to do just that. That said, I understand that you are currently recovering from severe injuries suffered at the hand of the Dark Lord. As a bit of a get-well present, I though that you might appreciate a formal request for an alliance between the Potter and Greengrass families. That is what this letter represents.

Attached is a token of my honesty, a jeweled dagger. It is a family heirloom that was forged by Goblin metalsmiths over four hundred years ago. The steel of the blade is virtually indestructible, and the blade is completely harmless to the wielder, but can do some serious damage to an enemy. Occasionally, a wand is not the best weapon at a wizard’s disposal. I hope you find use for my gift. It is yours to keep, whether you accept my offer or not.

I am certain that you wish to know the reasons for my offer: They are not difficult to understand. The Dark Lord has returned, and will undoubtedly come after my daughter and I because we were marked for death over a decade ago. I am an influential and powerful force in the Dark pureblood community, and my alliance with you will be a powerful symbol. The Dark Lord understands that you will need to unite the purebloods, Light and Dark, with the half-bloods and Muggleborns in order to overcome his forces and win this war. By killing me and my daughter, he would probably succeed in scaring others away from your side.

Hence, even as the ink dries on this piece of parchment, my daughter and I are preparing to go into hiding. Greengrass Manor will be warded against anyone not possessing the blood of its builders, and remain unoccupied until war’s end. For security reasons, I cannot tell you where we are going. Daphne will attend Hogwarts this year, but I will remain in the shadows. I intend to leave on the first day of term at Hogwarts. I have business to attend to this summer.

Meeting you in person last year was a revealing experience, Harry. I sensed the extent of your power at the Quidditch World Cup, but it was your experience at Karachun that truly gave me an appreciation of the kind of wizard you are. Your compassion and kind heart is remarkable for one that has suffered as you have. Yet you do not allow yourself to become sentimental very often. It is the balance of those qualities that is the true measure of a man, Harry. It is his capacity to care for others, combined with his own instincts for self-preservation that are the most telling of a man’s future actions.

I do not believe you are prepared to fight the Dark Lord and triumph, or that you have finished maturing into the leader that you will need to be, a leader that we will all follow into the fires of Hell, because that is what you tell us must be done. But the progress that you have made is still remarkable. You cannot let up, Harry, but knowing you as I now do, I am hardly concerned by that possibility. Your stubborn relentlessness and competitive drive are other qualities that will serve you well as a leader.

I am the first to offer my formal allegiance, but I am certain I will not be the last. If you wish to accept my loyalty, simply sign the attached sheet of parchment. It will create a magically bonding agreement. We will agree to come to each other’s defense if a crisis arises, and, unofficially, I will agree to serve in whatever army you create in whatever capacity you so desire. I owe you my life, Harry, and the life of my daughter. Such things are not easily forgotten. I can see the winds of destiny swirling about you. I only hope that my presence, and the presence of those I might bring with me, can help you survive to see your destiny fulfilled.

Yours in unceasing allegiance,

Aiden, Patriarch of the Family Greengrass


12th July 1995

Dressler Manor

Hampshire, England


Dear Blaise,

I appreciate all of your efforts on my behalf, and I understand that your family has to think of itself before it thinks of some greater cause. Allow your parents to make their own decisions, with the knowledge that I’d greatly appreciate their help. I have a feeling your allegiance has already been sworn, and for that, you have my thanks.

You’ll definitely have to show me a few of the things your dad’s been teaching you, both the Illusionist tricks and the blade-work. I’ve come into possession of a rather interesting dagger recently, although I’m intrigued by the possibility of working with larger blades. Hopefully you can teach me a few things when we both get back to Hogwarts.

I’m healing pretty well, all things considered. My arm’s a rather nasty sight, but I’ve got most of my function back in it. Madam Pomfrey’s actually rather surprised by how complete the healing on the inside has been. As for the outside…let’s just say I’ve got more than one scar of note now. Not that I’m all that concerned, of course.

I’ve been training rather endlessly since the end of last term. I’m pretty strong for my age, Blaise, but I’m not nearly good enough yet. Voldemort threw me around like a rag doll, and that’s setting aside the tremendous powers of the mind he seems to possess. I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me. I should just be grateful that I’ve survived this long, I suppose. Still, I’ve made some major progress on my shields, including some work on magic-absorbing defensive spells like the Servos Shield. I’ve focused the rest of my time on perfecting what I already know. I have decided that I’ll ask Snape to teach me the Slashing Curse when we get back to school. He invented it, after all. Daphne can use it, but she insists she isn’t capable of actually teaching it. So we’ll just have to see.

I do have some news for you to pass along to your parents. Aiden Greengrass and I have entered into a formal family alliance. Aiden’s was one of my first outside supporters, and he’s probably been the best. He’s a fine man, an honorable man. He has his flaws, but so do we all. Another thing that you might want your parents to know is that Daphne told me not to even bother asking if they might be allowed to join the Order. Dumbledore’s stance against Dark wizards is practically set in stone. Then again, Snape’s a member, but I suppose he’s a special case. It’s idiotic, really. I understand that Dumbledore’s fought Dark wizards that have become murderous despots his whole life, but you’d think 200 years of living might have taught him by now that there are many exceptions to every rule. You’d think the fact that one of those enemies was his Gryffindor roommate might also have taught him something. In light of that, you might pass along that I’m considering forming my own close-knit group of my most trustworthy and capable allies and friends. I’m not sure when it will happen, but I’d like to get a start on it this year. I need to have people around me that I know that I can rely on. Right now, most of our classmates aren’t capable of surviving five minutes with the average Death Eater, let alone defeating one. That has to change. We’re going to be the soldiers in this war, Blaise, whether we like it or not. It’s always been this way, and that isn’t ever going to change. The younger generations bear the brunt of warfare. They are the fittest, the most idealistic, and the most eager. They make good soldiers. Cynical adults don’t.

Well, this ended up a bit more long-winded than I’d thought it would be, so I’ll wrap this up. Tell your parents that they shouldn’t be bothered by Dumbledore’s rejection, and that I’d love to have them. The more families I gather, the more attention and credibility I get. And I haven’t forgotten about the Light families. I suppose I just don’t know where to start.

Well, see you at school. And get your Potions essay done on time this year.

Your friend,

Harry


14th July 1995

218 Victoria Street

Bristol, England


Dear Harry,

Merlin, it seems like its been years since we last saw each other. I heard from Ginny recently, and it sounds like you are healing pretty well. I just hope you aren’t overextending yourself too soon. You went through more than most wizards could endure and still be expected to survive, Harry. Don’t forget that.

Well, I haven’t been able to do any training this summer, for obvious reasons, but I’ve done a fair bit of reading, trying to find new spells, as well as learning more about unusual abilities such as mine. I’ve uncovered some truly fascinating information that I hope to share with you next time we’re together. I’ve also been in the process of organizing my notes from our first four years into a more manageable format. Don’t forget, our O.W.L.s are this year! I’m rather anxious about it, actually. I’ve read that our results often dictate the careers we end up pursuing, and that some employers look at them with more care than they give to our N.E.W.T.s, because we’re not allowed to drop any core classes until 6th year. I’ve done some research on possible positions in the Ministry in the past, and I’ve decided that I’d really love to be part of the Department of Magical Research and Development. It’s one of the most competitive jobs in Britain; even if you manage perfect O.W.L. results, they might still turn you down. The pay’s good, but that really doesn’t matter; I’d love to have a chance not just to learn about magic, but to actually contribute my own original spells and magical objects. It’s actually been an ambition of mine for several years.

This little voice in my head that sounds suspiciously like Ginny is reminding me that I’m rambling a bit on academic matters, so I’ll change subjects. Have you given any more thought as to how you’ll try to gain allies from the Light families? I suppose that very little can be done with Muggleborns and half-bloods because you essentially have to make your case to the children that are attending Hogwarts right now. Honestly, I don’t really understand this entire thing, and truth be told I’m not sure I want to, but I’d think that if you kept focusing on Dark families, the Light families might not be so apt to see things your way. That’s my advice, anyway, although I’m sure you’ve heard it a million times by now from a large number of people.

I’m trying to pick out your birthday present at the moment. A book, obliviously, but I’m trying to find something for you that might be genuinely useful. It’s not that easy, considering the literature you already have. Hopefully divine inspiration hits me and I come up with a grand idea.

Have you heard from Neville this summer? I’ve exchanged a few letters, but he doesn’t seem to say much, other than the expected pleasantries. Sometimes I really worry about him, Harry. Maybe you ought to write him? He seems to open up a bit when you are around. I think it’s worth a try.

OH! Before I forget, I actually heard from Professor Lupin yesterday. I’d sent him a letter a few days after the end of term, and it seems that his delayed responses aren’t exclusive to you after all. He’s doing well, although it seems he’s been on some missions he wouldn’t tell me anything about. He seemed pleased to hear from me, which was nice. Have you heard who the new DADA professor will be this year? Professor Moody has apparently had enough. Personally, I’m not sure he was ever fit for teaching students, although to be fair, he wasn’t exactly comfortable, even after he was rescued. And his discomfort is completely understandable. I’d love it if Professor Lupin could come back. I hate to speak ill of my elders, but he’s the only teacher we’ve had that’s really taught me much of anything…well, besides Crouch. But that hardly counts, don’t you think?

Mum’s calling me down to make dinner. She’s actually trying to teach me how to cook like a Muggle. I’m truly awful right now, and she knows it too, but keeps trying. I get the sense she wants to spend as much time around me as possible. I suppose I can’t really blame her for that, either.

Love,

Hermione


14th July 1995

Dressler Manor

Hampshire, England


Dear Aiden,

I don’t think you can begin to understand how much your offer means to me. I formally accept that offer, of course, and you can consider this letter as proof of our agreement. May we have a long and fortuitous relationship.

I hope that you and Daphne are well. Are you planning to allow the news that your family has gone into hiding to become public knowledge? I could understand if you didn’t want that to get out, and I assure you I’m quite good at keeping secrets.

Aiden, there is something I would like to ask of you. You are a foremost expert on the Dark Arts, and quite knowledgeable when it comes to a variety of other weapons. If we could arrange it, would it be possible for you to teach me a few things? It might be difficult to find time, but I’m certain that anything I learn from you will be of prime importance.

I’d like to express my gratitude again, and let you know that I understand the tremendous risk that you are taking. I will do everything in my power to insure I don’t make you regret your decision.

As for the rest, let your actions be guided by your own wisdom. I’m not asking you to take chances you’d rather not.

Yours in unceasing allegiance,

Harry James Potter


20th July 1995

Headquarters of the ---------

----------, England


Dear Harry,

Sorry about the header. I can’t tell you where I’m writing from, literally.

Two days ago, somebody tried to breach the wards at the Burrow. As in, somebody tried to completely strip away the defenses. Seems that they weren’t counting on Bill, who not only installed a tampering alarm, but also a painful recoil system that fries any non-Weasley that tries to mess with the wards. We don’t who it was, or how, but yesterday we were told to gather up all of our things and come to ----------. Ugh. I hate this stupid Fidelius Charm. Hey, at least that came out!

So, anyway, the Burrow’s been abandoned for the time being. There are protections on it, of course, though I doubt they’ll be needed. There really isn’t anything worth anybody’s while. And Bill’s added some anti-arson wards just in case. I’ve been a seeing a lot more of him recently, which, believe me, is a good thing. He’s taken some time off this summer to do work for the ------------. This is so pointless! It’s not as though you can’t guess what's been redacted!

I really hope you come and join us soon. I heard a rumor to that effect a little after we arrived. Hermione’s here too. Looks like the attempt at the Burrow made Dumbledore concerned for her safety. Don’t you dare blame yourself, just in case you were considering it. We’re as much a part of this war as you are. We believe in it, we want to fight, and we want to stand by you. That’s what friends are for, right?

Anyway, I hope to see you sooner than we’d hoped!

Your frustrated-but-devoted girlfriend,

Ginny


21st July 1995

183 Daunting Street

Canterbury, England


Dear Harry,

I suppose this letter might come as a bit of a surprise. After all, while we’ve spoken in the past, our relationship can best be described as casual. You’re a Slytherin. I’m a Hufflepuff. In the past, that’s been enough to keep us apart.

No more. The War has begun, and you know it better than anyone. What you’ve been through, what you’ve survived…honestly, it’s quite difficult to believe. Yet you still live.

I’m not making a formal offer of alliance, or even an informal one. I can’t speak for my aunt, or the rest of the Bones family. But I write you as one who knows you personally, and understands the kind of individual that you are, beyond the Daily Prophet headlines and absurd rumors. You know, one nice thing about being a Hufflepuff is that we’re always underestimated. No one ever considers us a threat. So they let us hear things we probably shouldn’t. This is especially true of Slytherins, although it’s clear you don’t share the disdain for my House that your classmates possess. The way you treated Cedric, in life and in death, was testament to that. You were his friend, and he made it a point to defend your honor when others in my House challenged it. He told us that you were a victim in all of this, that you had the utmost respect for him as a competitor, and that we shouldn’t oppose you because you threatened our chance at glory. And we listened, Harry. We listened with more intent that you’ll ever see us devote to our lessons.

Cedric was a hero to us all, Harry. He was a model Hufflepuff, a strong and hard-working student who was athletic, good-looking, and finally, after so long, promised to bring glory to the House of the Badger. I want you to understand that neither I nor my friends blame you for competing as hard as you possibly could. That you brought his body back with you, when you could have easily left it, meant more to use than you can ever possibly hope to understand.

What I’m trying to tell you, Harry, is that we’re with you. That includes me, Zacharias, Sally-Anne, Alison, Justin, Ernie, and Hannah. I can’t speak for the others, but know that you have many friends in Hufflepuff. You’re a bit dark and distant sometimes, Harry, and it’s off-putting, but we’ve noticed things like the way you helped Neville Longbottom, and even Ginny Weasley, when no one else would. And you’ve stayed true to them even when they disappointed you. That kind of loyalty is prized among us. As a Slytherin, I’m sure there are many more pressures to leave the weak by the wayside. But you haven’t yet succumbed.

I’ll admit we don’t know what kind of dangers fate has in store for us, Harry. But know that we are willing to work our tails off to prepare for them. You’ve been saying that none of us would stand much chance against the weakest Death Eater for some time now. We want you to change that. And it won’t just be us, Harry. If you lead, others will follow. Ravenclaws, your fellow Slytherins…even those pesky Gryffindors. Let us know of your plans, and we do as you ask…within reason, of course. But I’m sure you already know that.

I’ll see you at the beginning of term, Harry. I hope that you are having a fine summer.

Sincerely,

Susan Elizabeth Trent Bones


22nd July 1995

Dressler Manor

Hampshire, England


Dear Susan,

Cedric was a friend, and a fine wizard. He died bravely, defiant to the end, the way any warrior would choose to go out if he had to die before his time, I’d think. We’ll all be diminished by his absence. I’m honored by your offer of support. If what one looks for in an ally or friend is loyalty, integrity, and trustworthiness, than who better to have at your back than a Hufflepuff?

Your House’s reputation and principles are unfairly mocked by those that do not understand the importance of the values embodied by Helga. As you suggested, I am not one of those individuals.

In terms of training, I can’t promise you anything at this point. I suppose it’ll depend a great deal on Dumbledore’s choice of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I’d hope that the Headmaster might recognize how dire the situation truly is, and give us a teacher willing to prepare us for what we might well face, but Ministry interference cannot be ruled out. You’ve no doubt seen the cowardly and, if I might say so myself, rather pathetic attempts to discredit me personally and thus the word of anyone associated with me. Fudge is a fool if he thinks he can rid himself of me that easily. The time for waiting, for delaying, has come to end. We must take action, or we will find ourselves scrambling to catch up when hostilities commence. I predict that will happen before the year is out.

To those who might question our place as soldiers in this war, I can only offer history itself. My parents were thrust into the heart of the war when they were just a few years older than I was, and many of their friends and classmates died because they were woefully unprepared. Voldemort’s rise was slow and concealed in the shadows the first time. This is going to change. While he doesn’t want to push the Ministry into action, the time that it takes him to reach his full strength will be measured in months, not years.

I’m sure you understand that Fudge’s incompetence and cowardice infuriates me to no end. In the end, the price of his incompetence will be paid in blood. Innocent lives will be snuffed out because he fears tarnishing his legacy. I am unsure of how your aunt feels about all of this, but I am certain she cannot be content with the current situation.

I don’t mean to cause you or your friends to panic. Rather, I tell you about the dire straights we are all in so that you might understand how much your actions mean to me personally, and to the war effort itself. I hope that your example inspires others. There are some that will believe the venom and slander in the Daily Prophet, I am certain. There is little I can do about that. I suppose it’s testimony to the mental acuity of you and the other incoming 5th and 4th year Hufflepuffs that you’ve managed not only to overcome the negative image of me that has been widely accepted at Hogwarts, as well as the public perception pushed by those who know nothing of the real situation.

It is possible, I suppose, that certain things I say or do might offend your own morals or Light leanings. But know this: No matter what the means are that I will use, I am committed to one thing, and one thing only: The defeat of Lord Voldemort and those who follow him. As for the rest…sometimes you just have to let the future attend to itself.

Yours in absolute sincerity,

Harry James Potter


22nd July 1995

Office of the Headmaster

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry


Dear Daphne,

It’s that time of year again, it seems. Already late July, and again I am without a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for the coming term. On some days, it’s enough to make me start believing those stories about the position being cursed. And just like the last two years, I’d like to once again invite you to fill that void on our staff.

Despite your controversial past, you are the most qualified for the position in all of Britain. Your experience, your knowledge, and your ability to impart that knowledge to others would serve you well in this capacity.

I understand your reasons for declining my request in the past. It is indeed a great responsibility to be tasked with teaching witches and wizards how to defend themselves against the Dark Arts. The burden has never been heavier than it is at this moment. As you are no doubt aware, I would prefer that all children had a chance to keep their innocence long into adulthood, and were never asked to kill or be killed for a cause they may well not understand. But nearly two-hundred years of living has left me with but a sliver of the idealism I once held. It is a very real possibility that the students under my care will become soldiers on both sides. And so with that in mind, I can do little but ensure that most of them have the training that might allow them to survive and create a world without such senseless violence and barbaric warfare.

Daphne, I am not asking you as your former Headmaster or teacher. I am not asking you as a mentor. I am not asking you as the Head of the Order of the Phoenix. I am asking you as a friend, a man that has admittedly failed you at times, but cares deeply for you, and for your ward. Please, take the position. I cannot bear to see the Siege of Hogwarts repeated, to see so many young lives snuffed out, completely helpless in the face of evil. If all I can truly give them is a fighting chance, than I need you to help me keep that most meager of promises.

If you accept or decline, I do not need to know the reasons for your choice. Should you accept, staff meetings begin on August 1st. I hope to see there.

Sincerely,

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore


27th July 1995

Dressler Manor

Hampshire, England


Dear Albus,

I accept.

Sincerely,

Daphne Artemis O’Connor Dressler


28th July 1995

63 Downing Street

Offices of the Daily Prophet

London, England


Dear Mr. Potter,

While it’s been some time since we last met, I’m certain you haven’t forgotten me. And I certainly haven’t forgotten you. Or our agreement. I’ve kept my end of the bargain, it’s time for you to keep yours. One little article is hardly enough to keep my bosses happy.

I’m sure you think you are quite clever, the way you’ve blackmailed me. But I was a Slytherin also, Mr. Potter, and the lessons I learned haven’t entirely slipped my mind.

I have ways, Mr. Potter, of neutralizing your leverage. I have friends in many places, some of them of the elevated variety. But I’m not writing to threaten you. I’m sure you’ve noticed the pale imitations of my co-workers, most of whom are using words directly from the Ministry’s mouth in order to discredit you. Apparently, Minister Fudge has been nearly obsessed with you this entire summer. I’m not sure what you said, but if you intended to draw the attention of every powerful figure in the Ministry, than the job was well done. If not…well, sometimes we all have to deal with the consequences of our actions.

I have a proposition to make, Mr. Potter. We will schedule an interview. You may provided your own dictation quill if you wish. You needn’t tell me the entire story of what happened in that hour that you vanished from the Hogwarts Grounds, merely enough to grab the attention of the populous. If there is anything I’ve learned in my time as a journalist, it’s that that task is far more simple than it sounds. You are a fascinating individual, Harry. You are all at once a tragic hero, a cold, menacing reprobate, a shadowy manipulator, an innocent victim, a powerful, disrespectful rogue…in short, you are a news correspondent’s dream. I have lost face at the Prophet because I have refused to write the normal scandalous, scathing articles about you that they have come to expect. They do not know why, and that frustrates them to no end.

Unfortunately, we may still have a problem. The Prophet would not print your interview. It is not fair to say that the Ministry controls the press, but they have an undue amount of influence. It’s possible it could be a single-issue, independent publication, but I don’t have the resources to make that happen.

Rest assured, though, Mr. Potter, that if you do not comply with my request, I will find a way to register, and than I will turn you into the most hated person in Britain.

Have a pleasant day,

Rita Skeeter


29th July 1995

Dressler Manor

Hampshire, England


Dear Ms. Skeeter,

You seem to be under the illusion that I thought I could control you forever. Apparently you underestimate my intelligence, common sense, and foresight. I’m only surprised your request hasn’t come earlier.

As I recall, our agreement was only supposed to cover the time in which I was competing in the Triwizard Tournament. It would be dishonest of me to force you to extend that oral contract a day later. Name a time and place, and I will be there. I will not tell you everything. But I assure you, your name will be forever associated with one of the most controversial, heart-tugging stories of all time.

Perhaps I’m getting ahead of myself, but I can’t exactly say I have a lack of material. I look forward to a long and profitable relationship, Rita.

As for a publisher, I have an…unusual suggestion. I’m quite good friends with the daughter of the man who runs the Quibbler. Now, I realize it doesn’t have the readership or the credibility of the Prophet, but it’s a name that people know. And I’m certain a front-page article, written by Rita Skeeter, is going to convince people to overlook the Quibbler’s reputation.

I await your owl.

Sincerely,

Harry James Potter


31st July 1995

Longbottom Sanctuary

Lancashire, England


Dear Harry,

Well, first, Happy Birthday! Thanks for the birthday card, and the book you sent me. I suppose it works best this way, with you starting the exchange. Gran threw a surprisingly big party, with practically ever Longbottom in Europe in attendance. It was a bit awkward, really. The rest don’t expect as much from me as Gran, but they think of my parents when they look at me. At least I might have a chance to live up to them now, thanks to you. Gran was pretty well floored when I performed a Stunning Spell for her. She told me to tell you that you’re an excellent teacher.

I’ve been working a bit on the stuff I already know. I’ve been using the old dueling chamber in the basement. I don’t think anyone’s been down there since before I was born. But it’s got targets, references, everything you need, really. Hopefully I’m getting better at this. It feels that way, at least.

I’ve also been working on another big project this summer. Professor Sprout wrote Gran at the end of last term and told her all about my success in Herbology. Guess what Gran gave me as an early Birthday present? A greenhouse! Now, I haven’t really been able to grow anything spectacular, though I just planted a baby Venomous Tentacula a week ago. I’ve got the injuries to prove it, too. I’ve actually written Professor Sprout for advice on a few things, and she’s been really good about responding. I really like her, actually. She’s grounded, if you know what I mean.

Well, I’ve been hearing whispers about some sort of secret society that’s re-organizing, one that helped bring down You-Know-Who last time. I’m sure you know more about it than me, anyway.

Well, that’s about it. I did get a birthday card from Luna, though. Actually, her owl arrived at the exact moment that I was born fifteen years ago. A bit odd, that. But then again, she’s Luna. I actually kind of like her. She’s, well…I don’t know what she is, but she has this strange way of making me feel good and nervous as hell at the same time. I’m not really sure if that’s a good thing, but the former is a nice change. You know her better than I do, I suppose. What’s she like, really? I mean, does she really believe all the things she says? I’ve always thought she was a bit more than she let on. She just knows things, things that she shouldn’t have been able to find out. And she can always tell me exactly what I’m worried about at any given time. It’s a bit creepy, really.

I guess I’m rambling. I hope you’re healing well, and don’t let the Prophet get you down. Gran cancelled our subscription a few days after I got back. Says it’s a whole lot of rubbish, especially the stuff about you. I mean, I suppose they aren’t wrong in suggesting you’re learning the Dark Arts, but the implications are that you’re unbalanced, dangerous, and a threat to the general public because of your power. Maybe you are dangerous, but I don’t care much for the people that feel genuinely threatened. Gran laughed for about ten minutes when I told her what you said to Fudge. Then she told me that you were absolutely right, and that I should be both pleased and terrified. I think for once I actually understood what she was saying.

Sorry to end on that note, but I’ve got to feed the Tentacula. See you at Hogwarts!

Your friend,

Neville


31st July 1995

Headquarters of the ---------

----------, England


Dear Harry,

Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy my present. It wasn’t easy to find. But you told me that Aiden Greengrass had noted the parallels between you life and that of Merlin, so I figured that I’d get you the best biography of him that I could. It’s out of print, but I managed to get it from a used book dealer on Diagon Alley. I skimmed through it myself, and I think that I made a wise purchase. I hope you feel the same way.

Well, as you might have ascertained from the blank in the header, I’m at Headquarters. Tonks came for me yesterday. My parents weren’t all that pleased, but they were awfully polite about it. I’m honestly not sure what to do about them, Harry. I love them so much, but they just don’t understand the importance of what’s going on right now in the wizarding world, and if they did, they’d shut me up in the attic with all my books until it was over. Obviously, I can’t let that happen. I just don’t know how I’m going to be able to explain this to them, because that day is going to come sooner or later. I got my brains from them, after all. I suspect they’ve already figured out a lot more than they are letting on. I just hope when the day comes, I can make them understand. They were so excited about Hogwarts when my letter came, but I could tell they were having a hard time let me go. I often wonder if they regret letting me see that letter. I hope not.

Things are rather uninteresting here. Well, that’s mostly because we’re not allowed to attend the meetings. I’ve seen Daphne a few times, and she seems like she’s doing okay. She was a bit cold and distant last time, but I suppose that’s nothing unusual. I hear you might be joining us soon. I can’t wait to see you again.

Love,

Hermione


31st July 1995

Headquarters of the ----------

----------, England


Dear Harry,

Happy Birthday! Fifteen, wow. Hermione said she overhead someone saying you might be coming to join us soon. Merlin I hope that’s true. I hope you like your present. Sirius apparently sent you the Firebolt back, along with something else. I’m sure you’ve gotten it already, since his owl left a few hours before mine. I don’t think I ever learned the whole story of how Sirius ended up with the Firebolt again in the first place. It’s too bad about your Nimbus. That was a fine broom. Anyway, I made the pendant myself. It was a little side project I worked on in Transfiguration. It’s not really what I’d been imagining, but I think it looks pretty good. Bill helped me with the inscription. He’s aching to see you too.

I think that my parents might be saving up to buy me a broomstick. They try so hard, and I just hope they don’t break the bank. I talked about how good my chances were of making the Slytherin team a few times, and I guess that’s what gave them the idea.

I still miss you. Please get here soon.

Your pathetically, unSlytherinly longing girlfriend,

Ginny


1st August 1995

Dressler Manor

Hampshire, England


Dear Ginny,

Thanks for the Birthday wishes, and the present. The pendant is quite pretty, and that you Transfigured it yourself means a great deal. I’ve attached it to the same string that holds the medal my parents left me.

Seems like the rumors are true. Daphne just told me we’re leaving for Headquarters tomorrow. See you then!

Your eagerly anticipating boyfriend,

Harry
Reviews 114
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear