Search:

SIYE Time:11:20 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


If Eveyone Cared
By Jennie Rae Urban

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/PM
Characters:None
Genres: Songfic
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 4
Summary: Two of our favourite characters enjoy some time alone, grappling with the hard stuff.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5113



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I don't own Harry Potter. JK Rowling does. I didn't write the song "If Everyone Cared", either. Nickelback did. Thanks for letting me borrow it, guys!




ChapterPrinter


From underneath the trees, we watch the sky
Confusing stars for satellites
I never dreamed that you'd be mine
But here we are, we're here tonight


Singing Amen, I, I'm alive
Singing Amen, I, I'm alive


I can’t believe it. Just the two of us, together, but alone. Secluded. Someday, we’ll have to go back, and face reality. But for now, it’s just the two of us, in what could be paradise.
Lying here, in the wild, with him by my side, I look up and see the stars, winking between the tree branches. I close my eyes, and smell the coming rain. I can almost taste the new life, the green grass, the young leaves on the trees. It is spring, and everything around us seems to sing praise to the renewed sun. I feel the softness of the wild grass, and hear the wind rustling in the leaves. If I listen closely, I can hear his breathing over the breeze playing in the trees. I can taste the approaching storm, and savour the aroma like one savours a chocolate.

If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
Then we'd see the day when nobody died

And I'm singing

Amen I, Amen I, I'm alive
Amen I, Amen I, Amen I, I'm alive


After all we’ve been through, we are still together. We still have each other. After all we’ve endured, after all we’ve lost. No one could wrench one from the other. We belong together. Neither of us could live without the other. I know I certainly need him, and though he may not admit it, he needs me as much, if not more than, I need him.
I roll over onto my stomach. I pluck a blade of grass, and use it to tickle his nose. He starts, waking.

And in the air the fireflies
Our only light in paradise
We'll show the world they were wrong
And teach them all to sing along

Singing Amen, I, I'm alive
Singing Amen, I, I'm alive
(I'm alive)


”Oh,” he says, quietly. “It’s just you.” A tiny frown tugs the corners of his lips down, as if something is troubling him. His sparkling green eyes are wide.

“What is it?” I ask, pulling myself closer to him, as if mere closeness could quell his fears. The fireflies winking in the distance mirror the stars far over head, twinkling in and out of view through the tree leaves. The clouds press closer, promising rain.

“Nothing. Dreams.” He looks away. His face is too pale. He tries to hide his fear, but I can always see it on his face.

“The same one?” I ask. He nods. As always, I wish that I could ask him to tell me about it, that I could be to what no one can be. He’s never had a mother to soothe away his nightmares, never had anyone to tell him that it was just a dream, that it is all over now he is awake. I dare not ask him what the dream was, for I know that he would never tell me. He is so afraid to be seen as weak.

I stroke his jet-black hair away from his eyes. “Don’t worry,” I whisper. “It’s over. We won.”

“Did we?” he asks, sitting up, and taking hold of my hand. Fireworks start in my hand, then travel all through my body, making me tingle. “After all we lost, what did we really win?”

It is only natural that he would have some misgivings, but not for this long afterwards. The final battle was years ago. Surely he should have come to terms with what had happened, what we had done, what was done to us, by now.

“We won ourselves. We won freedom. If we had been vanquished, would anyone be able to have quiet moments like this one?” I ask. He just shakes his head, as if I don’t understand. I still feel sometimes that he thinks me a silly little girl, that he thinks that I am younger than him, so he will have to suffer though it alone, though there is only one year between us. He still thinks that he cannot be allowed to make anyone else to suffer because of him. Sometimes, though, it is all I want to be able to suffer for him, to suffer with him.

And as we lie beneath the stars
We realize how small we are
If they could love like you and me
Imagine what the world could be


“Really. I understand. Remember, my losses were just as heavy as yours. My brother was killed. But,” I add, kissing his forehead, and sitting up to do so, “we have each other. And no one can change that.” I smile brightly at him.

“Do you really think so? Do you really think that it was all worthwhile?” he asks, combing my long red hair with his fingers. Once again, the fireworks course through my body. I wonder if he feels the same way when we touch. I shiver appreciatively. He must think that I am cold, because he wraps his arms tight around me from behind, pulling me close to him. I lean into him, and feel his heart beating in his chest.

“Of course. If we had not won, neither of us would be alive, remember? I would have lost more than a brother, and some friends. I would have lost you, and that would be enough to kill everyone.” I look deep into his green eyes, and he meets my brown ones. I could lose myself in those infinite pools of jade. But I cannot get past the hurt, and confusion locked in them. To most, it would be invisible in the startling green, but I know him best of all. I can always tell. It hurts that he blocks me out, but I am an obstinate young woman, and I will continue trying to break down the walls that keep everyone out.

If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
Then we'd see the day when nobody died
When nobody died...


”Yes, I suppose so,” he concedes. “But do you regret it?” He plaits blades of grass absently, avoiding my gaze.

“Regret what?”

“Everything. Anything. Do you regret the sacrifices, the hurt, the happiness that your brother could never have?”

“Of course I have regrets. Doesn’t everyone? The hurt, of course. Doesn’t everyone wish that life was sunshine and sugar? The sacrifices, I wish none of them had had to be made. But the happiness? No. Even if my brother can’t have them, he would have wanted me to. Don’t you see? It’s not about what might have been, what could have happened if none of this was real. It is real. Your parents died when you were a baby. My brother died, our friends sacrificed themselves. We must make the best of this. We must raise our children, knowing the sacrifices made, but also treasuring the freedom that they gave us.”

We'd see the day, we'd see the day
When nobody died
We'd see the day, we'd see the day
When nobody died
We'd see the day when nobody died


“Children?” he asks, more than a little stunned.

“Yes, children. Harry, you’re going to be a dad.”
He gives a small splutter, then a shriek of joy. As the first raindrops begin to fall, I feel his mouth on mine, and close my eyes. We roll back, appreciating the rain. The fireworks explode again, and I know this is how life is supposed to be. Just the two of us, and our unborn child, secluded, but never truly alone. Because we will always have each other. We will always love each other. And nothing can separate true love. We are soaked in seconds, but it is only fitting.

Wouldn’t Fred be happy.
Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear