Search:

SIYE Time:15:59 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Let It Snow!
By quinn

- Text Size +

Category: "Baby, It's Cold Outside" Challenge (2008-1)
Characters:None
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 16
Summary: Ginny is forced to adapt her plans for the evening when a blizzard prevents her from trying out for the Harpies. But where some would see inconvenience, Ginny sees an opportunity. Harry tries to stay strong, but Ginny is committed to make this the night that they "try out" something new. Entered for the "Baby, It's Cold Outside" Challenge.
Hitcount: Story Total: 10639; Chapter Total: 4603





Author's Notes:
My entry for the "Baby, It's Cold Outside" Challenge. Thanks to all of the usual people. This was a fun one! Reviews, as always, are very appreciated.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Part One: Into the Storm





‘O opportunity! thy guilt is great,
’Tis thou that execut’st the traitor’s treason;
Thou set’st the wolf where he the lamb may get;
Whoever plots the sin, thou point’st the season;
’Tis thou that spurn’st at right, at law, at reason;
And in thy shady cell, where none may spy him,
Sits Sin to seize the souls that wander by him.

-William Shakespeare, The Rape of Lucrece





“Have you looked out the window lately, love?” His low voice still sent tingles across the back of her neck.

“What about it? I’ve flown in worse.”

The man whose face was floating in the fireplace rolled his eyes. “Just cancel. Whoever she is, she’ll understand.” He grinned. “Besides, there are laws about the kind of things that have to happen on a night like this.”

She narrowed her eyes. “Such as?”

“Come over and find out.”

“Tempting… But I have a better idea. You come over here.”

Confusion flashed across his face. “But doesn’t the stadium’s floo lock down in a few minutes?”

“Too bad we forgot about that. We’ll just have to wait out the storm here,” she said with a wink.

“An evening in the locker room, huh?”

Her eyebrows shot up. “My office is not a locker room.”

He laughed. “Fine. It sounds brilliant. Let me grab a few things and I’ll floo over.”

She glanced at the clock. “Don’t take long.” Then, trailing her hand slowly down her waist, she added, “I’d hate to be stuck here all alone…”

He nodded and disappeared with a grin.

She bent over her desk, pulling a single sheet from her piles of paperwork. It was a standard form; the details filled themselves in as her wand waved over the sheet. She bit her lip as she scratched out a short personal note at the bottom. She signed it with a practiced flourish and was just sealing the envelope as a black owl landed on the desk in front of her with a thump.

“Sorry to ask you to go out into that mess, girl.” The large owl looked indifferent. She grinned as the bird snapped up the letter and hopped onto her muscled arm. Its dark eyes flicked from the window to her face as she threw open the small window.

“You know where to go.” The owl made a grunting sound and flapped out into the storm. She chuckled. Even flying, her bird more closely resembled a bulldog than an owl. She watched as the dark shape disappeared into the snowy air above the darkening pitch. She made her way over to the large locker in the corner and pulled out a bottle that sparkled with amber liquid. As she flicked her wand, paperwork and Quidditch equipment soared into drawers and cabinets around the small room. A few flicks later, the bottle was sitting on a polished desk between two conjured crystal glasses. Satisfied, she turned to the wireless under the window.

Tap. “…and it seems to me, you lived your life like a candle in the wind…”

“Bloody Muggle-baiter.” Tap.

“…All of the other reindeer…” Tap.

“…season is still a few months away, and it looks like the Harpies will be drafting a new Chaser. It’s been months since Alda Seenyle first announced her intention to retire this spring, but now it looks like the ladies of Holyhead will be seeing even more of a shake-up. Last week, rookie alternate Janice Kensington resigned after she met the business end of team Captain Gwenog Jones’ bat during a spat over…” She hit the wireless again, several sparks crackling from her wand.

“I really can’t stay…”

She sighed and smiled as the fireplace roared behind her.

“It’s about time.”




“Not bad at all, Harry.” Ginny dropped her napkin next to the empty plate in front of her.

Harry sighed. “I have had a bit of practice, you know,” he said haughtily.

“I can tell.” She grinned. “And someday I’m going to teach you to cook using magic.”

He scowled as he took her plate to the kitchen sink. “You don’t have to be better at everything, Gin.”

She laughed. “Oh, but I do.” She followed him, snuggling up behind him. “It’s my destiny; I heard that Trelawney made a prophecy about it.”

Harry snorted. “Funny, I just heard one too.”

“Yeah?”

“Something about boosting your ego, you know, letting you win and telling you you’re right and–”

Harry laughed as Ginny jabbed him in the side.

“Seriously though, thank you Harry. I needed this kind of day.”

He turned around to hug her back. “I know. It’s not everyday you get to try out for a professional Quidditch team.”

“Not just any team, Harry, but the–”

“Yeah, I’ve heard. Don’t get yourself worked up again.” He glanced at the clock. He felt her take a deep breath. “It’s time. Are you ready?”

“I guess I have to be.”

He walked with her to the foyer. They were silent as she pulled on all of her winter things. Then she looked up at him, a mix of excitement and terror in her eyes.

“Just have fun. You’ll be brilliant.”

She threw her arms around him. “I’ll floo you as soon as I’m back from the Burrow.”

“Do that.”

“Think about me the whole time?”

“You know I will!”

She pulled open the door, the number twelve glistening with frost. She hopped out onto the steps.

“Wish me luck!”

“You don’t need it.”

She grinned. “Have I told you I loved you?”

Harry laughed. “I love you. Now go!”

She nodded, letting out a shaky breath through her smile. Then she disappeared with a pop.

Harry closed the door, still grinning. He wandered back to the kitchen and tapped the wireless before pocketing his wand and rolling up his sleeves. Ron and Ginny still teased him whenever he washed the dishes by hand, but Harry found it relaxing. He watched the snow fall silently as he went through the mindless motions, and he found himself lost in the music and the snow.
As he put away the last of the dishes, a voice came on between songs.

“Stratta Storm here with your weather update. Well, I’ve just bounced around the country and, for the most part, we’ve got a whole lot of light snow. Looks like it’ll be a white Christmas this year! Bundle up for broom travel in the south, watch out for high winds in up near Aberdeen, but watch out in Wales! There’s a wicked blizzard raging all the way from Holyhead to Bangor, and it’s not looking to let up anytime soon! Any travel in that region should be done by floo; you don’t want to be out in that stuff! This is Stratta Storm reporting for WWN…”

A harsh tap on the window behind him startled Harry. He turned to see a large owl, its black feathers crusted with ice and snow. He pulled open the window and the owl soared across the kitchen, landing hard in front of the fireplace. Harry followed, scooping the letter off the floor where the owl had dropped it.

“No, it’s fine. Take a load off.” The owl looked up at him for a moment before turning back toward the fire and closing its eyes.

Harry chuckled, tearing open the envelope. It was Holyhead Harpies letterhead.

December 22, 1998

Dear Prospect,

Due to
inclement weather, your tryout has been
rescheduled for
tomorrow at the same time.

We look forward to seeing you fly.

Gwenog Jones, Captain


Dear Ginny,

Sorry! It’s horrible out.
I do hope tomorrow’s alright.
We’ll see you then.

Gwenog Jones


“Bugger.” Harry folded up the letter and ran out the door, disappearing with a pop.

Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear