Search:

SIYE Time:4:51 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Great Scott!
By Spenser Hemmingway

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Twin Travel Challenge (2008-3)
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, James Potter, Lily Potter, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 12
Summary: ** Winner of Adventure in the “Twin Travel” Challenge **
For Arthur and Molly Weasley becoming grandparents was the last thing on their minds--no what happened at the Burrow that afternoon would have had to have been. Great Scott! How will everyone deal with this new challenge? Of course Harry and Ginny will make great parents. They shop at Wizardmart all the time.
Hitcount: Story Total: 8523



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
My sincere thanks and apologies to everyone and everything I parodied or at least gave a tip-of-the-hat; The Power of Love (Huey Lewis and the News, 1985) especially. Thank you all for reading! Eric B.




ChapterPrinter


Great Scott!

By Spenser Hemmingway


“One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.”–-The Doctor



The morning had actually started out so nice. I especially enjoy waking up during the summer season. Except for our house-elf Seymour, I had the cottage all to myself that day. The sun was coming through the open window along with a robin’s song. My pillow was wonderful, and so was the faint hint of cinnamon rolls that the little guy was baking downstairs. I was fading in and out of wakefulness, taking great pleasure in having a day off work…or so I thought.

“Eeek!” I screamed, shooting probably three feet into the air and tangling myself in the blankets. The floor I hit hard surprised me as much as the cold nose on my foot had. It took me a couple seconds to get free of the mess, and, as expected, I found myself face-to-face with my Victorian bulldog Winston.

“Woof. Woof, woof.”

“What? What’s that boy? Timmy’s trapped in a well…again? That’s the third time this week! We have got to get that kid his own collie dog!”

“Grrruff! Woof! Woof, woof!”

“Oh…Ginny’s down in the kitchen with the kids. Dag-nabbit dog! Bear with me here. I’m an American, and I’m still having trouble with your Scottish brogue. Where are my slippers and robe?”

He didn’t answer, but instead took off–-back downstairs no doubt. I followed as quickly as I could, suddenly curious about what Ginny was doing at my home so early. My daughter Jennifer was supposed to be spending the weekend with the Potters working on a summer class project with their son Albus. I was running down the stairs then, worried that something had happened to her. Bursting into the kitchen, Ginny’s serious expression didn’t ease my fears in the least.

“Good morning Spenser. I’m afraid that I need a huge favor.” She handed me Baby Lily and stepped over to our icebox. “She’s just been fed. I put two more bottles inside here, and I should be back before one o’clock.”

“What? Where’s Jenny Ginny?”

“Outside with Albus not surprisingly. I’m sorry, but I need to leave the children here with you. Hermione, my brother, and all of them are still on holiday in Freedonia. With Luna gone for the next three days as well, you’re my last resort…either you or Hagrid. He’s not quite ready for a tiny baby yet. Don’t forget to burp her. James can help you with the diapers. No staple gun this time! I mean it!”

“Huh?” I finally noticed James sitting at the table smiling at my confusion.

“I need to meet Harry at Gringotts Bank. Goblins don’t especially enjoy having small children in their establishment. James, I expect you to practice your sousaphone for at least an hour this morning. You don’t mind do you Spense? Ta ta now.”

“Huh?” I said again. She simply stepped in to kiss Lilly, moved to hug her oldest, and was gone out the back door. “Oh well, never let it be said that I didn’t enjoy spoiling other people’s children, especially the infant variety.”

I sat down with Lily at my table, and began the process of really waking up, while the baby was attempting the exact opposite. I wasn’t in the mood for a conversation yet, and not at all comfortable with what to say to the boy across from me. Actually, after three or four minutes he was the one who spoke up.

“Uncle Spenser…”

“Hmm…yeah?”

“Do you…think we could have tuna fish for lunch?”

“I…suppose so.”

“I hate tuna fish,” he barely whispered. Uncle Spenser…?”

“Yes James?” I didn’t need all that so early.

“Do you think it will snow before Saturday? Crikey, that was stupid.”

“I doubt it since we’re in the third week of July. What do you really want to know little buddy?”

“Uncle Spenser…where do babies come from?” the ten-year-old asked, almost inaudibly.

“Huh? What? Where did…why did…? Uhm, maybe you should ask your folks about that kid.”

“I did, but they just hemmed and hawed the way you are now. Haven’t you had the talk with Nicholas?”

“Of course, I have–-the day before he left for school. He’s a lot older than you are Jimbo.”

“He’s less than two years older than I am. I’m going off to school myself this September.”

He had me there. I moved away from the table, and crossed the kitchen to the coffee cauldron, stalling for time. I was balancing Baby Lily in my left arm, almost hoping she would wake up again, and provide me with a better excuse. I had to settle for taking my time pouring the brew into a large mug, regretting not drinking it with cream and sugar so I could take the opportunity to fetch them. Instead I stuffed a piping hot cinnamon roll into my mouth as a momentary delaying tactic.

“Okay…what do you know already?” James’ eyes went large at my asking that. Apparently, he wasn’t expecting the question, just more sidestepping. Who was I to disappoint him?

“Well…Uncle George did explain that it involved a snowy winter’s night, a bottle of good wine, and Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald singing Baby It’s Cold Outside.”

“Actually, that’s another story for another time. Hoo boy! James…you want to know where babies come from? All right, I may get into trouble for being the one to tell you this, but I’m still going to go ahead and do it. Are you ready? Babies come from department stores.”

“You’ve got to be kidding! That can’t be true! I heard…”

“What did you hear? If it’s anything other than my version, then you had better tell me, and we can hold off on this discussion for another time. Besides have I ever lied to you?”

“Constantly. Last week you told me that dragon milk was what trolls use for yodeling-induced laryngitis,” he defiantly countered, but then in a meek voice, “Go ahead I suppose.”

“Right. When a mommy and a daddy Wizard love each other, they get out the Wizardmart Catalog, and pick the baby they want. That section’s located right between the aardvark traps and the bowling pin setters. After they place the order, the momma Witch swallows a watermelon seed. For nine months, it grows inside her tummy until the time comes for the delivery. The midwife cuts open the mother with a big butcher’s knife, takes the melon, and tosses it out the window as a signal to the stork.”

“Stork?”

“Yeah a stork. The bird leaves the baby in the cabbage patch, and that’s where the parents find it.”

“But…but…but… Uncle Spenser, I’m sorry but I think that you’re a horrible fraud.”

“Sometimes maybe, but I’m a great babysitter.”

I stepped over to refill my cup. The boy was clearly mulling over another question. I knew that it wasn’t regarding all the rubbish that I had just fed him. Something else was rushing around inside his head, and I was almost ready to make a guess about what.

“Uncle Spenser…what were my mum and dad like when I was born…or delivered…whatever? I mean when they first became parents.”

Oh ho! I was right. The new baby was prompting some queries from the big brother. That was to be expected, and I had just the right story to tell him.

“James…the second time your parents met you was one of the finest moments I ever witnessed. Your dad was floating on air, and he didn’t need magic to do it. Your mom was glowing brighter than your Aunt Luna’s noodle bake surprise. You were the most special, most wonderful thing either one had ever experienced. We felt the same way with Nicholas and Jennifer. Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione were like that with all their children as well.”

James seemed very pleased with my answer. His smile came close to breaking his cheekbones realizing that he had contributed so much to his parents’ lives. All at once however a baffled look flashed across his face again.

“Uhm…Uncle Spenser…what did you mean by the second time Mum and Dad met me?”

“Ah what indeed? Here, take the baby and follow me to the guestroom. We’ll lay her down in Jenny’s old crib, and then I’ll tell you a little story.” I led him out into the parlor, pausing just long enough to retrieve a notebook from a shelf I passed. “Now let’s see, how should I start this one? ‘It was a dark and stormy…’ Used it. ‘Call me Ishmael?’ No, I still owe him money. ‘Once upon a time…’ No really, really overused. Ah, I’ve got one, and it’s a classic!”

“What are you talking about?”

“Long, long ago in the Burrow far, far away…”


*****



The magic of love is a fanciful thing!
Make a young Wizard crazy; make a pretty Witch sing.
Grip on your heart kids–-tight as a glove.
More than enchantment–-that’s the magic of love!

Tougher than rock cakes, wild like some boar;
Harder to handle than a Flux Capacitor.
Make the Dark Wizard shudder; make our hero stand tall.
Magic of love that’ll help him save us all!

You don’t need no cauldron, don’t take no broom,
Don’t need no Elder Wand to make your heart zoom!
Like some charm or a potion, and a hex sometimes;
Been known to bewitch your life…
That’s the magic of love!




“Mrs. Weasley, saying that was a magnificent supper is like saying your family has red hair and freckles. I’ve never had such tender roast beast.”

“Thank you, Hermione. After all the work that you’ve done here today, I only wish that it could have been a hot meal.”

“Oh, pshaw my dear. Sandwiches for our family’s Sunday buffet are as wonderful an entre as I can imagine. Harry would you please pass me the horseflyradish? Thank you. Fred…elbows off the table.” No one missed that your grandfather didn’t need to look to know they had been there.

“I’m George.”

“Your name will be Mud if you don’t respect our family meal,” Arthur told him. Proper table manners, you’ll recall, are mandatory at the Burrow, and they are one subject that even the twins normally respect. “Now as I was saying, it is unfortunate that we couldn’t light the stove. We don’t need to advertise our being here any more than we have to with the smoke. I will, however, second Hermione’s appraisal Molly, and the fresh bread you brought made the sandwiches all the better.”

It was the August, just before your father, aunt, and uncle returned to Hogwarts for their fifth year–-your mother’s fourth. You’ve heard the story from them, and I know you’ve read it in that volume of your father’s biography. Everyone had been hold up in Grimmauld Place for weeks with the Order of the Phoenix; the Burrow just wasn’t safe in those days after You-Know-Who’s return. The problem was…the house-elf they had enlisted to tend the farm animals in their absence had developed a bad case of spectre pox, which cause them to develop seriously mischievous habits (worthy of the twins or me) for two or three days. Everyone had to risk a very short trip home to clean up the mess, get the milk cow out of the willow tree, and find a way to remove the tutus from the pigs. It was quite a big project and a secret one as well.

“So Fred, tell us a little more about George’s and your little experiment,” Harry asked him. “I was washing up, and I missed part of what you said. Something to do with looking into the future?”

“Trelawny would love that,” Ron cut in when he saw Hermione ready to begin her lecture about the pointlessness of Divination. “She’d be out of business if it really worked.”

“The good professor’s job will be preserved,” George told him, but he was grinning at Hermione.

“We don’t want to just see the future…” Fred added.

“…we want to travel forward,” George finished, as you know is his custom. “We’ll look ourselves up–-no doubt rich–-borrow a few hundred Galleons for pocket money.” That elicited loud laughter from the entire table. Even Hermione had to giggle at the comment.

“You want to construct a Time-Turner, but one that will go both ways; forward to tomorrow as well as back to yesterday?” she finally asked.

“Actually, it’s called a Flux Capacitor,” Fred clarified. “It’s a simple enough device supposedly. Some American Squib named Emmett Brown came up with it years ago. Witch Weekly interviewed him last week at Oxford. He’s at the Wizard College trying to find a way to apply magic to the thing instead of Muggle atomic power–-whatever that is.”

“Our own experiments have gone wrong from the start. It’s all George’s fault you know.”

“Is that what you think Fred? Really? So how can it be my fault? You’re the one that’s been going around saying we in fact need to find ourselves a Delorean. That’s what’s wrong.”

“Excuse me George…did you say a Delorean? You need a Muggle sports car?” Hermione asked, again trying unsuccessfully to hold in her laughter.”

“They make brooms now as well,” Fred answered for his brother. “We shouldn’t be putting the cart before the camelopard. Even with the lecture notes and the sketches we made of the capacitor gadget while we were there, we haven’t been able to…”

“What?” Molly shouted as she abruptly came to her feet. “You snuck out of Headquarters to go to Oxford!”

“Define snuck out Mum,” the twins said together.

Crack! Crack! came the all-too-familiar sound of a set Apparations from the other room. Everyone was instantly up with wands drawn. The protective wards on the house should have prevented any arrival by that method, and it immediately told them something wrong was happening. Your dad, grandfather, and Uncles Bill and Charlie moved straight off to investigate, while Fred and George ducked out the back door to circle around the house. Arthur was the first one into the living room. He stopped so suddenly the others literally ran into the back of him.

“Grandpa! James did it. I was just watching to see what would happen.”

“Well, Lily told me to. I didn’t think it was working. Uncle Fred and Uncle George have been trying to fix it for years and years.”

Right before them was your sister and you at maybe six or seven years old. Yeah you looked just like your dad even then, but with brown eyes. Lily had the green ones, but otherwise was the spitting image of your mom. Okay, I know you don’t remember any of this. That isn’t your eye colors either. Yes, I know Lily and you aren’t fraternal twins; you’re almost eleven years older than her. I was there when the stork delivered you--remember that? You’re getting way ahead of me here Jimmy my boy, and I’m just getting started.

Where did I leave off? Oh, I remember. Hearing the voices and the word ‘grandpa’, Molly pushed her way into the room with Ginny and the others right behind her. Naturally she immediately fainted away at the sight of the two children.

“Molly no…that’s your fresh-folded laundry there on the sofa where you’ve fallen,” Grandpa Arthur quickly told her.

“What? Oh, how silly of me dearest.”

She then moved over to the overstuffed chair next to it and repeated the performance. She may be the same Witch who would later face off with Bellatrix Lestrange, but trust me on this kid, no woman likes to discover that she’s old enough to be a grandmother.

While the twins…the little ones that is…were disconcerted at what had happened to Grandma, they were equally relieved to see your mom and dad. They instantly rushed over to them, wrapped their arms around the two and began babbling explanations too rapidly for anyone to understand. Harry knelt down and began to study the boy before him. The shock of someone thinking Ginny and he were their parents was as great for them as what your grandma was experiencing. It’s no surprise that he immediately thought of the dead grandparents for whom Lily and you were named. The kids were emphatically calling them Mom and Dad though.

“Slow down…slow down James,” Harry finally asked the boy. “Tell me what happened. No one is in trouble here, I promise. Explain to…Mum and me what you did.” Harry looked over to Ginny, and, as expected, her eyes were wide at the word he had used.

“We…we were just looking at their flux-thingy on the funny-looking broom. They had done something to it, and it was glowing,” little James began.

“It really worked?” George and Fred said together. No one had noticed when they had entered through the seldom-used front door.

“Shut up you two,” Charlie ordered in a quiet yet imposing voice. Even Grandma Molly doesn’t command as much compliance as does your uncle when he speaks that way. “Go ahead James.”

“All I did was touch it, and it grabbed us and took us here. We’re sorry Dad. I…I want to go home now.” Your younger version renewed his death grip around Harry’s neck.

“Lily, there’s something very, very important that I have to know. What year is it?” Ginny gently asked your sister.

“It’s two thousand and sixteen; the first day of October. Isn’t it?”

You’re getting ahead of me again James. I understand that the dates were wrong for when you were six. Who’s telling this story? Patience; you’re about to find out what was going on.

“Molly dear, if you’re done being overly dramatic, perhaps we could prepare the children some hot cocoa. Under the circumstances I believe that we need to risk a small fire in the stove.”

“What’s that? Oh yes, of course Arthur.” Say what you will, Molly Weasley recovers quickly when she needs to play host. “Come children. If your new uncles haven’t gotten into them yet, I may have some sugar cookies for you as well.”

After she had led them off, the others remained silent for two or three minutes allowing all of what had happened to sink into their heads. Fred and George fluctuated between silly grins at realizing their experiment would one day work and utter bewilderment about what they hadn’t done right yet with Doc Brown’s Flux Capacitor.

“Dad, we’re going to need help with this I think,” Bill finally said.

“You’re right,” Arthur agreed. “You and I need to meet up with your brother Percy at the Ministry and make some discreet inquiries. Yes, I do realize that it’s probably deserted on a Sunday afternoon, but we have to try. Charlie, if you could return to Grimmauld place and let the others know what has happened… Better yet; try to get word to Professor Dumbledore. Our Floo may be watched here, but I’m sure that Xeno Lovegood will let us use his if we go over to his…house.”

“Mr. Weasley, I’m convinced that if I could get to a library or bookstore, I could research something…”

“No Hermione but thank you. You can’t Apparate yet or use magic away from school. It’s far too dangerous…far too dangerous. I’m confident that my sons and I will bring back a solution. George, Fred…I need you to find a way to build that device. It may be the only way to get them back to their own time. The rest of you…well you can get to know my grandchildren a bit better, can’t you?” Arthur grinned at that, but your mom and dad didn’t know what to think.

“That may not be very smart Dad,” Ron offered. “If we know about the years ahead, couldn’t we somehow change them?”

“He’s right sir,” Hermione continued. “It may seem cruel, but we should keep the children as far away from all of us as possible. The possibility of creating an alternative reality is far too great. Who knows what might happen?”

Crack! Crack! All at once they had two more visitors, appearing as if in reply to your aunt’s comment. This time there were two boys; one was sixteen and the other ten or eleven. You got it kid–-you and Albus, but both with purple spiked hair and wearing leather jackets covered with metal studs.

“Blast it Albie! I told you not to touch that thing! Hi there Gramps. What’s shaking? Whoa! Mum, Dad–-you look so young…and skinny. Where are we?”

“You were saying about alternative universes Hermione,” Ginny stammered. “I think that we have visitors from another one.”

Crack! Crack! Crack! All three of you kids appeared then–-not much older than you are now, but with the correct eye colors.

“Mr. Weasley, I think that all of you had better hurry getting help,” Harry said in an understandably desperate tone.

Crack! Crack! Crack!


*****



Harry softly knocked at your mom’s bedroom door. “Can we talk Ginny?”

“I’ve been expecting you Harry. What is the count up to now?”

“Fifty-two Jameses, thirty-one Albuses, forty-nine Lilys, a couple of the boys brought along girlfriends, and one Lily has a litter of kittens in a wicker basket she’s been toting around. Twelve sets of them are twins and one triplets. We have them with brown eyes, green, and even a few blue. Assorted clothing, hairstyles, ages, attitudes; your mum has a pair in the kitchen that seems to be speaking only Portuguese.”

“That’s well over a hundred Harry. I know that Weasleys traditionally love large families, but this is ridiculous. You definitely know what this means, don’t you?”

“That in some timelines you and I are together and have a family. We must be worried sick now with our children missing. Ginny…it’s great to think that somewhere out there we survive the war, and enjoy a happy-ever-after, but that’s not a promise that we will here. I really care for you and all, but I don’t know if I can start... I understand that you prefer someone taller and more handsome; preferably with good eyesight; a boy who can stay out of trouble. I know that you don’t think of me that way anymore, and that you can find someone better, and you think I’m a spoiled git. Just wait until… Just wait until the captain of the Holyhead Harpies smiles at you for the first time.”

Harry meant it all as a joke, but it didn’t come out that way. Something was tearing at his gut and yanking at his heart. He didn’t understand. It was painful none-the-less. He didn’t realize it at the time; your dad’s words were hurting Ginny just as much. Neither knew what to say. Neither one could bear to look at the other for several moments.

“Yes, you are a spoiled git Harry, and the Holyhead Harpies is an all-Witch team,” Ginny finally said, then rushed out of the room before she could risk crying in front of him.

The two loved each other even in those days, but neither knew it or would admit it if they had, even to themselves. It made the fling your dad had with Cho Chang that year all the more confusing for everyone. Harry just sat down on Ginny’s bed and tried to sort out the past few hours. To this day, neither one know why she did it then. Ginny suddenly rushed back in, kissed your dad on the cheek and ran off again.

Harry smiled, and after a minute stood to go back downstairs. At the banister he paused when he thought he heard someone sobbing loudly. No kid it wasn’t your mom like he first thought. It was two of the Lilys sitting on the steps with Ginny in between them, a reassuring arm around each.

“Why do I have twin sisters now? Are you really my mummy?” one asked.

“Why are there so many of us? I want to go home!” the other managed to choke out.

“I suppose that I’m mum to both of you…in a way. It will be fine. Your grandfather and uncles are working very hard to get you home, but we need you to be very patient and very brave. Can you do that for me?” Ginny asked and gave them each a quick squeeze. “Tell me…would you like to go see my owl? His name is Errol, and he’s very funny to watch fly, even when he’s sober.”

She stood then and took the girls’ hands to lead them down. Ginny surprised Harry again when she turned, looked back up the stairs and smiled at him, acknowledging that she knew he had been there the whole time. Ginny would be a great mother someday, he decided. Of course, you already know that don’t you James. You won’t remember it all, but when you were four years old and very sick, your mother didn’t eat, sleep, or leave your bedside for the three days it took for your fever to break. Your dad only did to care for baby Albus.


*****



“It’s not working.”

“No, it’s not working. It should be working.”

“I know it should Fred. This is extremely embarrassing.”

“It’s no wonder it took us so many years to figure it out.”

“George…Fred how is it coming along?”

Your mom cringed at the sight before her. The Burrow’s work shed was the mess that you see in the picture dictionary under messes. Tools, tin foil, bailing wire, and wads of bubblegum were everywhere. Your uncles knew as much about electronics as Muggles do about making potions–-I won’t include good baristas or bartenders in that comparison.

“Wait…did you really build that?” she asked then. “It looks so…Muggle. Will it work?”

“Fred, I think we’re going to need some expert help with this.”

“That’s going to be awkward under the circumstances. Doctor Brown dear brother mine?”

“The one and only, although after seeing so many identical nieces and nephews, I tend to think that there may be several of all of us somewhere out in the multiverse.”

They intentionally ignored your mom, but, seeing the concern on their faces, she could understand why. In lieu of a reply to Fred’s final observation, George simply moved to grab their brooms from the wall rack, and then tossed one to your uncle. When Ginny moved to retrieve Uncle Charlie’s old Skyduster Elite the twins finally acknowledged her…and moved into her path.

“Where do you think you’re going little sister?” they asked in unison, almost as if they had rehearsed it.

“With you naturally. Something is wrong…something you’re not telling us. I intend to make sure that you get that overrated Time-Turner functioning. I now have over three hundred children here.”

“Wow Ginny…I didn’t know you had it in you. Ouch!”

The mild stun spell knocked George on his tail, but little more. Your mom realized that she didn’t have the luxury of a swarm of bats flying out of his nose just then. By the time he had gotten back to his feet, Ginny had grabbed the broom and moved outside. Apparations included, it took them almost an hour to reach Oxford. That was about the time Grandma Molly discovered they were gone. It’s to her everlasting credit that she didn’t teach a few hundred of you some new words.


*****



Meanwhile, back at the local sinister lair, the diabolical Death Eaters were busy plotting. James don’t look at me like that. I’m a writer and allowed poetic license. Ah…I hear your sister waking up. We’d better go take care of the toxic waste. I meant her diaper kiddo–-sheesh! You’re as bad as your Aunt Hermione sometimes. Now, where was I?

All righty now–-the four Death Eaters were gathered around the long table in their dark, musty cavern. Off to one side a large fire was blazing, despite the August heat. Along with ominous organ music–-having one is more or less required in these settings. Hey, at least they didn’t include a raging thunderstorm outside with Remus Lupin howling in the distance.

“Everything is prepared Snively. We’ve been given the additional favor of Arthur Weasley and his son leaving their home to travel into the Ministry. I’ve just come from there, and I saw them with my own eyes.”

“Strange. What business would they have at the government offices so late on a Sunday evening?” a skinny rat-faced man inquired, more to himself than to his companions, who were plainly just as curious.

“It doesn’t matter,” the short, fat Dark Wizard pointed out. “Infecting that house-elf to lure the Weasleys back to their hovel was inspired. If it wasn’t for him, this…wonderful opportunity would not have presented itself. I’ve checked and the magical protections they’ve begun to set in place about their home may be easily bypassed, at least long enough for us to do our work.”

“Immediately set the buildings on fire once we arrive,” Snively interjected. “As they scurry outside like the insects they are, kill them where they stand. Even the death of one of those blood traitors will accomplish our task. Bwah, ha, ha!” He started laughing and the others joined in.

“Snively…” Rat-boy paused after a few moments in mid-bwah, ha, ha. “The cackling really is a little clich isn’t it? Do we always have to…?”

“I’m truly sorry Louseman. You know how the Dark Lord insists on the proper gothic mood when we gather. We do need to get that blasted organ fixed though.”


*****



First time you feel it, it’ll make the beast roar!
Next time you feel it, it might make your heart soar!
But you’ll be glad Harry, when you finally learn.
She’s the real magic–-makes your Wizard blood burn!

You don’t need no cauldron, don’t take no broom,
Don’t need no Elder Wand to make your heart zoom!
Like some spell or a potion, and a hex sometimes;
But it might just bewitch your life…
That’s the magic of love!



“May I have your attention please? Can everyone hear me? Great, but if we could have the younger children move forward to see me better I’d appreciate it.” Your dad had taken position at the hayloft door in your grandfolks’ small barn. Yeah, some of your twins had tried to jump out of it and break their arms the way you once did. “I know that you are all curious about what has been happening today. We need you to be patient for a little while longer.”

“You’ve been saying that for hours…Dad…if that’s who you really are,” an older Albus shouted.

“I don’t think you’re him at all,” one James added. “You’re our father? Prove it!”

“Shut up you!” another James told him. “I don’t know if we’re twins or duplicates or what, but you heard Grandma Molly yelling about Mum leaving. You know that howling was the real thing and Gran says Dad is too!” No one could dispute the logic of that, and the large crowd of Potter children all murmured their agreement.

“Where is Mummy?” one tiny Lily asked in a voice so quiet Harry could barely hear her from his lofty perch.

“We don’t know for certain sweetheart, but your Uncle Fred and Uncle George are with her. I’m sure that they’re doing something to help get you all home, just as your grandfather and other uncles are.”

“I think that it’s all one big hallucination, or that we’re dreaming somehow,” another Albus called out.

I wish it were…I really wish it were, Harry thought to himself.

It was nearly seven-thirty, and they only had a couple hours of daylight left. Not a minute went by when Harry didn’t think about Ginny and the others, and he was beginning to worry. Your dad had enlisted the older boys to help him dig some makeshift latrines; they’d worry about the underage use of magic later (one more issue for his upcoming hearing). He didn’t want to think about how to bed down four or five hundred children in the Burrow’s fields overnight. All thoughts of keeping the Weasleys’ visit home a secret had long before been abandoned.

Harry was more than a little surprised with himself about how concerned he was for Ginny. Something was tearing at him about her, and he didn’t understand what it could be. He didn’t feel that way with her…did he? He was supposed to be pining away for Cho Chang…wasn’t he? Don’t kid yourself kid. You know very well how he felt with your mom. The trouble is that it’s not the same thing if you don’t know you have those feelings.

Hand me that duct tape there for Lily’s diaper. No, your mom said I couldn’t attach the thing with a staple gun. You remember all the trouble I’ve always had with these things.

Okay, at this point it suddenly occurred to Harry that he was treating his family–-yes that was what they were–-he was treating them as if they were Hogwarts students and he was addressing them from the head table. He ran back to the loft’s ladder, and almost fell going down it so fast.

Your dad paused at the large barn doors, took a deep breath, and then stepped out into the mass of Jameses, Albuses, and Lilys. He let the emotions wash over him, and reveled in the fact that…yes he was a father (of sorts). For the first time in almost fifteen years he had family other than the Dursleys and Sirius Black. Wading through the crowd he kept stopping to accept hugs, smiles and the constant refrain of Dad or Daddy. Everywhere he wandered Harry handed out encouraging words to the kids. Hope filled him as well…hope that his future would be as wonderful as those from which the children had come. Then he started thinking about your mom again.


*****



Bam! Bam! Bam!

George’s hand hurt from pounding at the door of the large rented house that he knew…hoped Doctor Emmett Brown still occupied. The Wizard College administration had been very reluctant to tell the three where the Squib scientist was staying in town. It had taken a visit to the Dean of Magical Engineering, an old friend of your grandfather, to finally obtain an address. At the moment however, they were wondering if it was too late.

“Doctor Brown open up please it’s very important! It’s Fred Weasley,” the twin shouted at the door.

“We need help with your Flux Capacitor!” George added. “Wait…did you hear a door just slam inside?”

The house as I mentioned was unusually large, and especially modern for the Oxford suburb. It did afford the guest a great deal of privacy however; the nearest neighbors being a few hundred yards in any direction. They’d also noticed a two-storied windowless building on the property that the American might utilize for his tinkering while there. It was large enough for a pair of semi trucks, a variety of farm machinery, army tanks, or even a…

Kaboom!

All at once the front doors of the utility structure flew open. There came then, and I’m completely serious about this, a flying, antique steam locomotive. That’s right James; it was a converted, suped-up train. Fred, George, and your mom dropped to the ground although the engine wasn’t anywhere near the house’s rooftop let alone their heads. It banked hard left, and then began to pick up speed traveling in a westerly direction.

“Blast! He recognized us! He’s running for it!” George called out as he took to the sky in hot pursuit. Your mom and other uncle were right with him.

“What’s going on George?” Ginny shouted over the rushing wind as she brought her broom in closer to his.

“We…may have been a tad too eager when we attended his lecture–-pressing him about his new Flux Capacitor. Then we sort of…borrowed it. Ginny, if that thing has one of his older versions installed in it, he’ll supposedly pop out of here when the train hits eighty-five miles an hour!”

Fear hit Ginny then and it overshadowed even her anger at what George and Fred had done. She’d let their mother deal with that later–-and Grandma Molly did. At that moment, the only apparent means of getting hundreds of her children back into the future was perhaps about go there himself.

All Weasleys are good on brooms, and you’ve lucked out inheriting both your mom and dad’s talent. Madame Hooch probably won’t even bother with lessons for you James. That understood, remember that your two uncles’ old brooms were Cleansweeps. There wasn’t a wild boar’s chance in Arkansas that they could catch that locomotive, even as slow as it seemed to be accelerating. Uncle Charlie, on the other hand, hasn’t survived all these years with his dragons by owning B-grade brooms. Your mom tucked her head down into his Skyduster Elite and took off as if shot from a rifle.

Now that train was pretty large, and it was a Muggle machine, meaning no magic, but it still moved like your dad’s Firebolt. Doc Brown had no doubt seen her approaching, and he took it through a series of spins and sharp hairpin turns. That further slowed him, but not enough to matter for much longer. In addition to Brown’s expert piloting, the smoke billowing from the stack seemed to want to come straight at Ginny. Besides choking her, she was now flying blind, able to only barely make out the darkening landscape below her.

The chase had moved over less-populated farm country, but your mom still had to wonder how non-Wizards could explain the whole show to those who saw it. Perhaps there was a cooperative arrangement between governments to where things like U.F.O.s were magically converted to weather balloons in people’s minds. There wasn’t time to think about it any longer. The flying train began to spark and crackle with energy. Ginny made a guess that it was going to vanish, took a chance, and Disapparated just as the locomotive popped out.


*****



“Belch!!!”

Jame s, your little sister is in a class all her own as far as burping goes. Let’s see–-I think we’re coming to the good part of my story now. Your mom should be back in about an hour, so we’d better move along.

Anyway, a series of Apparation cracks announced the arrival of the four Death Eaters we met earlier. The Dark Wizards already had their respective wands out and were prepared to carry out their deviltry.

Avada Ka… Oh, nuts!” Snively said–-actually almost whimpered for his group.

All around them, hundreds and hundreds of wands, those of every Potter child old enough to own and carry one were leveled at the Death Eaters’ heads. To one side the crowd quietly parted, and up walked your Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione. Neither bothered to draw their own wands. They didn’t need to.

“I believe that we have you covered,” Ron told their visitors in an intentionally friendly voice. “Now of course if you feel lucky, Go ahead and make my decade.

“Day Ron–-it’s ‘Go ahead and make my day’,” Hermione whispered to him. The gentle hug she gave him told your uncle that she really didn’t think it mattered.


*****



“Great Scott! You’re a young girl!” someone said through the fog in which Ginny found herself.

“Ouch…what was your first clue–-my pigtails?”

“Aren’t you too young to Apparate? You couldn’t possibly be licensed.”

“I started popping in, out and about when I was three; it came naturally. Mum and Dad had a fine time trying to keep me from doing it. What happened?”

As her vision cleared, she looked up to see a man with wild, white hair, an intense expression, but extremely kind eyes. The suit he wore seemed to be from the previous century as did the train’s operating compartment, but not its futuristic instruments. Only his long white (now covered in soot) lab coat appeared to be from the twentieth century.

“You should know better than to Apparate while moving at that speed,” he explained. “The transfer slowed you significantly, but not enough to keep you from slamming into that pile of coal behind you.” Without warning a large dog appeared beside your mom and gave her a big lick to her face. “That’s Einstein. He seems to like you, and I trust his judgment of character, but why were you chasing me?”

“Why were you running away?” Ginny climbed to her feet then and took a moment to brush herself off. “We told you that we needed your help with the Flux Capacitor Fred and George stole–-no, borrowed. We’ll make sure that you get it back sir.”

The scientist studied your mom for a full minute, finally smiling. “I left suddenly to keep them from forcing me to activate it. My friend Marty and I have seen how time travel can be misused. Your brothers can keep the Capacitor I suppose. I have others. It’s simply a worthless prototype without the supporting hardware and the expertise to use it. That’s true even if magic is applied to power it.” His expression changed again when he saw the fear back in Ginny’s eyes. “Great Scott! They didn’t! They couldn’t!”

“Who is this Scott fellow of yours and why is he so great?”

“What? Oh…Montgomery Scott; a fascinating man and the chief engineer on an enormous starship a few hundred years in the future. Scotty has a well-deserved reputation as a miracle worker. Now tell me what happened.”

“My brothers got it to work somehow, or rather they will several years into the future. My own children activated it and showed up at my family home this afternoon. I’m only fourteen, and not quite ready to be a mother yet.”

Doc Brown moved to the train’s controls and a few seconds later Ginny could feel the machine descending. He was no doubt using the maneuver’s distraction to think the whole matter over. A gentle thump announced their return to earth.

“Fascinating! I’m reasonably certain though that we can easily return them to the future. If by no other means, then with my train. How many children do you…will you have?”

“At the rate they’ve been arriving, perhaps close to six or seven hundred now. They’re all the same three, two sons and a daughter, but at different ages and with some variations in physical appearance. We also have an inordinate number of twins among them.”

“Great Scott…oh, excuse me! We need to get there immediately! Immediately I’m telling you! Do you have any idea what this means?” Your mom could only shrug at the question. “They must not just be from the future, but from alternative universes as well…different timelines! That much must be obvious to you, young lady! This is bad! This is very bad!” The man was stomping around the locomotive, pulling at his hair and looking as if he was about to pass a kidney stone.

“Define bad.” Ginny pulled herself to the coal again to avoid his wild pacing.

“Muggle science teaches that matter and antimatter cancel each other out with enormous force. Identical atoms, if one comes from a negative universe and they should meet…well it would be worse than you could possibly imagine.”

“Please try me. With brothers such as Fred and George I have quite an imagination.”

“If we’re very lucky, only the entire galaxy will be destroyed. I need to find out where and when we are right now. I’m afraid that I made a blind jump.” Moving to his onboard Muggle computer, Doc Brown began pushing buttons and even slammed the side of it to speed the process. “Ah, here we go–-October the twenty-third, sixteen forty-two. We’re at Edgehill in Birmingham. It will take a few minutes to reset the controls for nineteen ninety-five.”

“Edgehill, sixteen…? Why does that sound so familiar? Doctor Brown, does your thingamajig tell you anything about the dates and places you visit. It may be important.”

“Of course, my dear. My wife Clara had me develop that for when we travel with our sons Jules and Verne. Let’s see–-English Civil War…Battle of…”

“Great Scott!” Ginny screamed this time. She then threw her arms around Einstein and the Doc, and the three Disapparated away just as the Royalist cannonballs began pounding the locomotive.

Reappearing on a distant knoll, Doc Brown immediately sank to his knees. Obviously, he didn’t enjoy that means of travel any more than your dad does to this day. “My parents died when I was very young. I didn’t grow up around Witches and Wizards. I’ve always wanted to try Apparating; once is enough.”

They could now see in the distance that the train/time machine was fully engulfed in flames; destroyed beyond all repairs. Emmett Brown looked sick, and Ginny felt that way.

“Doctor Brown, how long would it take you to build another machine?” she finally asked.

“What’s the use? By the time I could, we’d be back in the twentieth century again.”


*****



They say that Weasley girl’s so fair…
Big brown eyes and long red hair.
You know what to do Harry
When she puts the spell on you,
(And with a little help from above)
You feel the magic of love!
You feel the magic of love!
Can you feel it?

You don’t need no cauldron, don’t take no broom,
Don’t need no Elder Wand to make your heart zoom!
Like some spell or a potion, and a hex sometimes;
Yeah, it’ll surely bewitch your life!
That’s the magic of love!



“You flippin’ lost Ginny!” Harry shouted. “How the [bad word] could you lose your sister?”

Fear battled anger and desperation. Confusion was saturating Harry’s whole body, but that would have to wait. I’ve repeatedly told you that he was in love with your mom, but he didn’t know it. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a hundred times–-I can’t abide redundancy. Regardless, no one had ever seen their friend so enraged. Without either realizing it, Hermione was gripping Ron’s arm at the sight. Molly and the just returned (empty-handed) Arthur were dumbstruck at the explosion.

“Harry, lower your voice a bit, even if they deserve it–-the little kids…” Bill whispered.

Harry spun around to face him, a new target for his wild mood. He saw your uncle was right though. Several of the smaller children (who were also the most frightened and more likely to stay near the adults) were sobbing uncontrollably. Your dad mentally kicked himself and moved to start hugging his family. After all that had happened to them, they didn’t need to learn that their mother had gone missing.

“It will be fine. I’m certain that she’ll be back soon,” Harry told a tiny Lily and James, gently picking both up. He made a quick sweep with his eyes to ensure the others could hear his words and to see the smile he was attempting.

It was just minutes from sunset. The children had been moved into the field beyond the Burrow’s garden. The adults and older versions were desperately trying to think of a way to care for all of them. The shadows were stretching across the landscape, giving the land an eerie appearance which with the coming moonless night would increase the fearfulness of the place. Harry could just stare off across the sea of sons and daughters. No one bothered to count the heads anymore. Their numbers surpassed that of the student body at school. They were out of time. No pun intended.

They heard it before they saw it. It was a strange sound, almost like a low-pitched mechanical whine. It materialized then…slowly and then more solid. Everyone had heard rumors about it for years. Your grandfather knew people from at the Ministry who had actually met its owner.

“Harry, I’ve never really seen one, but isn’t that a blue police callbox?” Hermione slowly asked. Its door opened before he could reply and out stepped your mom.

“Doctor…Doctors, it’s in the shed over there. You’d best hurry,” she called back inside.

They would have to find it themselves. Your dad pulled her into a Weasley-class hug. He didn’t dare say anything yet, worried that his voice would crack. All at once they were knocked to the ground by a stampede of small Potter children, thrilled to death that Ginny was back safe. It had to be painful, but both your parents loved it. Harry was finally distracted by the two men who emerged from the box and rushed to the outbuilding. The white-haired man he didn’t know, but…

“Ginny! Ginny that’s Barty Crouch Junior! The man who impersonated Professor Moody last year! Nice scarf though,” he had to admit.

“No Harry, Crouch is safely locked away in Azkaban, but the resemblance has actually caused our new friend a few problems recently. We were extremely fortunate that he was sightseeing during that Civil War battle. I’ll explain later.”

Einstein came to them and began licking both your folks and the short people who were climbing all over them still. Ginny embraced a Lily and moved to kiss her on the cheek. Just as her lips touched the girl, she disappeared from her arms with a loud crack. Your mom and dad were instantly on their feet. All across the field the sound was growing in intensity as the children Disapparated off.

At one point, it was as loud as a Muggle machine gun firing pointblank at them. Even the disappearing kids were holding hands to their ears. It continued on for a full minute before beginning to wane with the last of them leaving. Finally, there was only a set of six-year-old twins, James and Lily, whom everyone decided must have been the first pair to arrive. In a blink of the eye they were gone as well. Harry and Ginny hadn’t even said goodbye to their family, and your dad was actually on the verge of crying at the loss. He caught himself when he noticed Ginny was close to tears as well. The hug he gave her was much gentler this time.

“Ginny…I don’t know what the future holds for any of us. I really don’t think that it’s been written yet, but you and I…”

“Great Scott! You’re Harry Potter! My great niece Lavender is one of your classmates I believe,” Brown said, reappearing and surprising the couple.

“Harry Potter is it? Well, well, well…I’ve wanted to meet you for some time,” the stranger loudly announced as he stepped up to shake your dad’s hand as well. “It was a bit dicey inside there for a moment, but Emmett and I were able to reverse things. The children are all back where they individually originated. The time pulse we sent into your Flux Capacitor disabled those others, and we’ll see to that one as well in short order. It seems that they were all linked with the original somehow and created temporal portals. It’s all quite fascinating actually.”

Who are you?” Harry managed to ask.

“Exactly. Harry and Ginny, it’s been a pleasure. Wait until Book Seven comes out. Trust me–-you’ll love it. Doctor…Emmett that is…may I give you a lift somewhere.”

“I would greatly appreciate it Doctor.”

Doc Brown gave your dad a smile, your mom a knowing wink, and then followed his associate back into the blue box. It disappeared with that strange sound a moment later, leaving behind a group of very bewildered Witches and Wizards. Ginny lingered behind as the others moved inside the house. As they walked, your Aunt Hermione explained to Harry about the four trussed up Death Eaters in the yard. Your dad was laughing, and seeing it, Ginny had to smile.

“You can forget Cho Chang Mr. Harry James Potter. Those three children were too adorable,” she quietly told the evening breeze.


*****



“Spenser, why is my daughter…my baby daughter blue and dressed in animal skins?”

“Ah Ginny…Harry, you’re both back from the Alley. I hope you said hello to the Goblins for me. Lily’s dressed that way because the baboon costume was too large.”

“Hold on. Come again?” Harry asked. Fortunately, he was smiling as well.

“People, you are wonderful parents, but after sixteen diaper changes, I used up the entire supply of spare clothing you brought over with her. I had to resort to using some of Jennifer’s doll clothes. By the way, she and Albus are upstairs doing that summer school project. I had all sorts of fun getting them to come inside this morning to work on it. Harry, what exactly are your son’s intentions toward my daughter?”

“They’re six; ask me in a few years Spense after you purchase that shotgun. Now why is Lily blue?”

“The doll was, so we thought that it was appropriate. It’s just a harmless spell. It comes right off just like…just like…oops!” Hmm…that probably explains why Jennifer’s toy was that color.

“Don’t panic. I know what it is. I have just the counter-potion at home to remove it,” Ginny laughed (fortunately). “Now what mischief have you been up to James? Give Uncle Spenser back your draw poker winnings right now.”

“No Mum, we didn’t play today. Besides he still owes me seventy-five Galleons from last time. He was just telling me about the summer at the Burrow before your fourth year at school.”

“Uhm…James, we weren’t at the Burrow that summer,” Ginny began. “All of us spent time at Grimmauld Place. I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“You know…with the hundreds of children appearing, and Grandma fainting, the flying train, the time machines, your being bombarded by the Royalist Army, and attacked by a friendly dog. You must remember the four Death Eaters and your brothers stealing the Flux Capacitor from the Wizarding College.” James face was falling though as realization struck him.

“Son, there really isn’t any Wizarding College; Healers and such apprentice. Also, Molly Weasley would no more faint than you could change your eye color,” Harry explained.

“That happened too dad…and Lily and I were twins, at least sometimes.”

“James, I’m afraid that you’ve fallen victim to one of Uncle Spenser’s favorite stories,” Ginny continued. “He couldn’t get it published because of all the copyrights he treaded on from those Muggle movies. He ended up entering it in some fan fiction challenge.”

The boy’s glare hit me like Hermione’s favorite shovel. “I suppose all the other stuff you told me was pure rot as well Uncle Spenser.”

“What was that?” Harry asked then.

“He made up another story about where babies come from Dad.”

“Oh, is that all. Son I think that your mum and I should tell you the truth about them now. You see…babies come from department stores. That’s right. When a mommy and a daddy really love each other and are ready to start a family, they get out the Wizardmart Catalog and pick the baby they want. That section’s located right between the anvil wax and the banjo strings.”

Mischief managed!
Reviews 12
ChapterPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear