Search:

SIYE Time:11:17 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


More than Just Galleons
By lalachoa

- Text Size +

Category: Potter’s Affairs Challenge 2008-4
Characters:None
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 17
Summary: Harry receives a lot of galleons from several sources. He tries to decide what he wants to do with his future. What will he choose?
Hitcount: Story Total: 10010; Chapter Total: 2932





Author's Notes:
Here's a new chapter.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry wandered around the corridors of the Ministry, seemingly lost after he had stepped out of the Minister’s office. He had read the parchment that the Minister handed to him. It listed the known Death Eaters including assets seized.

Malfoy, Lestrange, Crabbe, Goyle, McNair, Yaxley, Dolohov, Carrow, Pettigrew, …

The list went on. Gringotts vaults taken over. Houses and mansions raided. Dark objects confiscated. ‘The Ministry is more thorough this time,’ Harry thought. But something caught his eye at the back of the parchment.

… The next of kin/heir will receive a share of the assets seized. For those without either, the proceeds will go to the Ministry and would be used in the reconstruction effort…

Harry Potter — James Potter, Lily Potter, Sirius Black, Regulus Black, and Severus Snape

Harry stopped midstep as he read off the names. Snape! What did he have to do with this?!?

No sooner than that thought, somebody bumped into Harry. “Sorry, I didn’t see you there, Harry.”

Harry looked up to see Arthur Weasley. It was a welcome sight for Harry. A friendly face was what he needed at the moment.

“Hello, Mr. Weasley. Do you have time now? Maybe we could go and get some tea.” Arthur looked at Harry sternly expecting him to ask permission for something that had to do with Ginny. He had hoped that it did not come so soon. Arthur nodded his consent and followed Harry out.

Harry led Mr. Weasley towards the Leaky Cauldron. He hadn’t had lunch yet and was quite hungry at the moment. He waited for Arthur to settle in and waited for their orders to arrive before asking his first question. “Mr. Weasley, Ron mentioned way back that the Weasley family was related to a Muggle accountant. Do you still keep in touch with that relative?”

Arthur could not help himself but laugh when Harry had finished. He was so relieved even as Harry looked at him quizzically.

“Sorry about that Harry. An old man’s foolishness. Won’t happen again soon, I hope.”

Harry nodded for Arthur to go on.

“Well, to answer your question, we haven’t been in touch lately. I’m afraid we did not invite them to attend Bill and Fleur’s wedding. You knew how it was. It was difficult times. I could make some inquiries for you if you tell me why you need an accountant.”

Harry proceeded to tell Arthur his conversations with Griphook and Kingsley. Arthur listened quietly, letting the young adult unburden himself.

“Well, Harry, I can offer you some advice, if that is what you are looking for. You definitely need a good financial manager. You have your whole future ahead of you. It would be good if you have it managed well. I’ll try to write our cousin and see if he can help.

I suggest that you think about what career you want to pursue once you finish Hogwarts. Do you want to work or start a business? Do you plan to get married soon? Where do you want to live? I understand both the Potter and Black estates include large real estate holdings. You might want to take advantage of that. All these things would directly impact your discussions with your financial manager.”

“I am not sure what I want to do after Hogwarts. I was thinking about something to do with flying and Quidditch. I‘d rather not have anything to do with dark wizards at the moment. I’ll leave that to Kingsley and the Ministry, for the time being. As for getting married, well… I, we, … I haven’t talked to Ginny yet.”

Harry whispered the last sentence, avoiding Arthur’s gaze altogether. He and Ginny had gotten back together the day after the battle. She had found him sleeping in the boy’s dormitories inside Gryffindor Tower and she just never left his side until it was time to leave for the Burrow. They had agreed to take things slowly and not rush into things. They had all the time in the world.

But the parchment from Kingsley was a stark reminder of how little family left he really had. He wanted his own family but it was too soon. Then, an idea formed in his mind. A smile emerged from his frowning face. He would need time to execute that one.

Arthur cleared his throat in an attempt to jolt Harry back to his presence. He, of course, knew what could make Harry space out and then smile in the end. His little girl had grown up to love and inspire the young man before him. He was glad they had survived the war and could fully live out their lives maybe together. He hoped they would, anyway.

Harry heard Mr. Weasley clear his throat and smiled sheepishly.

“I was also thinking about renovating Grimmauld Place and making it more livable. Now that the Ministry had cleared it of dark objects, it would be much easier to do a little re-decorating. I think Kreacher could help me out. Maybe I could ask Ginny for some ideas as well. I’d probably not touch the other houses in the meantime though I won’t bear to sell them off either. After all, they are all I have of my family, all I can ever learn of them.”

“You forget that you have us, Harry. We may not be related by blood. But you are my son. I’ve always been proud of you. And despite the challenges you had to face while growing up, I am proud to see the young man you have grown to be.

And what about Teddy and Andromeda? Aren’t they family, too?”

Harry blushed at his forgetfulness. He was glad he was talking to Mr. Weasley. Mr. Weasley had always given him sound advice. Today was no exception.

“I have another question, if you don’t mind Mr. Weasley.”

“Ask away, Harry. I’ll do my best.” Arthur said to Harry, giving him a radiant smile.

“Well, sir, remember me literally bumping into you at the Ministry? I was reading the parchment Kings…, Minister Shacklebolt handed to me. Why would Severus Snape be included in my list? I could understand Regulus since Sirius left everything to me. But Snape?”

Arthur was also puzzled by the question Harry posed. The full explanation of Snape’s motivations had come to light at the end of the war. He agreed that Severus was one of the bravest men he had ever met. But it was saddening to know that he never gotten to know who the real Severus was. All those years of hiding and secrets… Such sacrifice. And Arthur respected that, if nothing else.

“I’ll ask around and see what I can come up with. Is that okay with you?”

“Yes. Thank you.”

“I should get going, Harry. There is much to do these days at the Ministry. See you at home.”

Harry waved goodbye to Mr. Weasley. But he wasn’t heading home yet. He still had his idea to implement. So he left through the back door of the Leaky Cauldron and headed for Diagon Alley.


HPGWHPGWHPGWHPGW

When Harry got back, he went directly up to Ron’s room to clean up. He noticed that there were a few more letters that he had not gotten around to open. Harry reached down his cot and opened one of the more official-looking letters. It was from the Offices of Fritzgerald and Munchkin.


Dear Mr. Potter:

We would very much like to request your presence at 10 in the morning of Wednesday, August the 19th to sort out some legal matters.


Yours truly,


Mandy Munchkin



Harry was curious about the letter but he figured he would find out soon enough. The meeting was set for tomorrow.


HPGWHPGWHPGWHPGW


Aft er dinner that evening, Harry invited Ginny out for a walk. He had not seen her or talked to her all day. He missed his time alone with her.

Tonight, the moon is almost nowhere to be seen and the small pond behind the garden was as black as the sky. Harry and Ginny had quietly made their way to sit near the pond. It was their favorite place to be alone. Ginny had noticed that Harry had preferred to listen in on the conversations around the dinner table that night even as Ron, Hermione, and Percy debated the various career options the Golden Trio had open to them.

Harry heard Ginny sigh and turned his face towards her. Her head was leaning on his shoulder as they sat facing the pond. Harry had his arm over her shoulder as he whispered, “So you really want to try out with the Harpies?”

“Uh huh. I’ve always loved to fly. It’s something I want to do. What about you?”

“I’ve been thinking about it, too. I talked to your Dad even.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I thought he could give some good advice.”

“So what did he say?”

Harry shrugged. “I love Quidditch and I love to fly. But I do not think I can survive the fame if I ever join a team.”

“That’s true. But I am sure you can come up with something,” Ginny said thoughtfully. “How about flying instructor? You’re a good teacher,” she teased.

“Haha!”

“You don’t want to be an Auror anymore?,” Ginny asked, concerned.

“I am not sure. I mean, I am still continuing my NEWT classes for Auror studies. But I don’t want to join the Auror corps immediately after I graduate. I need time away from dark lords and dark wizards. However, even though I defeated Voldemort does not mean there are no more dark lord wannabes out there. I’m torn of wanting to help Kingsley and …” Harry couldn’t finish. He didn’t want to sound selfish.

“Ginny, …”

“Yes Harry?”

“I was thinking of redecorating Grimmauld Place. I thought, … , well, …, “

“What?

“I thought that you might like to add some of your ideas. I mean it’s gonna be yours too someday. You might as well start now.”

Ginny’s mouth shaped a big O. Harry was glad it was dark out. He was sure he was blushing hard.

“That’s so thoughtful, Harry.” Ginny put her arms around Harry for a hug.

“I have stipulations, though.”

“Oh.”

“No pink please.” Harry said as he smiled mischievously.

“Too right! No pink!”

“Come on, let’s go inside. It is getting late.”



HPGWHPGWHPGWHPGW

Harry Flooed to the address of Fritzgerald and Munchkin at ten minutes before 10 in the morning. Harry tried not to let his curiosity get the best of him as he approached the secretary.

“Hello. I’m Harry Potter. I have an appointment with Mr. Munchkin at 10.”

The secretary had a scowl on her face as she looked up. “Ah, yes. Please take a seat. Mr. Munchkin will be right with you,” she said tersely.

Harry looked around the waiting area. The walls were of dark mahogany finish with a few portraits hung on them. Against the wall were two library armchairs that looked quite old. The upholstery was of tan leather. A small circular table piled with old volumes of Witch Weekly rounded off the small waiting area.

“Mr. Potter.”

Harry turned to see a young woman in her thirties wearing a deep purple robe and black square glasses. Her arm was extended, what Harry could discern anyway, a handshake. Harry shook her hand and offered a forced one-sided smile.

“I’m Mandy Munchkin. Come into my office, if you please.”

Harry followed her into the room.

“Please sit, Mr. Potter. Thank you for coming. We weren’t sure that you would attend the reading of the will.”

“Will? Whose will?”

“One Severus Snape. Now that you are here, we may begin.”

“Wait. Nobody else is coming?”

Mandy shook her head. She clear her throat, and began to read. “This is the last will and testament of Severus Snape…”


HPGWHPGWHPGWHPGW


It turned out that Snape left everything to him. It was not much; Gringotts vault amounting to a under ten thousand Galleons, the house at Spinner’s End and everything in it plus a box full of letters and keepsakes. The surprising part was that the box of letters was the correspondences between Snape and Lily.

Harry felt that he needed time to go through the box uninterrupted. So, instead of heading to the Burrow, he apparated to Grimmauld Place. Almost immediately, he was greeted by Kreacher with a shallow bow.

“Welcome home, Master Harry.”

“Hello, Kreacher. But please drop the Master. Harry will do.”

“Are you hungry? I can prepare lunch.”

“Yes please,” Harry replied non-committally. He was more focused on the contents of the box that he brought back as he began dumping them onto the sofa.

He sorted them to letters, keepsakes, birthday cards, and Christmas cards. A copy of James’ and Lily’s wedding invitation was also among the items in the box. The whole box was about the friendship of Snape and Lily. The one true thing in Severus Snape’s life.

Several things whirred inside Harry’s mind. All the losses, the pain and the suffering in both wars. Maybe he could make a difference.

HPGWHPGWHPGWHPGW


Mea nwhile, back at the Burrow, Molly Weasley was spending the afternoon cleaning the Burrow. There was very little to clean these days. Most of the children were no longer living there. Only Ron, Ginny, and Harry were left. George would sometimes stop by. The rest of the clan had their own houses.

Pop!

Molly turned towards the clock to see who had come home unexpectedly. She saw that it was Arthur. “Arthur! Such a surprise!”

Arthur walked into the living area to give his wife a hug and a kiss on the cheeks. “Hello, Molly.”

“Have you had lunch yet? I have shepherd’s pie in the oven and some crisps prepared.”

Arthur smiled. Even though the kids had grown and moved out, Molly still prepared every meal expecting everyone to drop by at some point. “Of course, dear. I’d love some. Tea also, if you don’t mind.”

Molly patted Arthur over his heart. “It’ll be ready in a few.”

Arthur followed Molly into the kitchen and sat in his usual place. “Harry back yet?”

“No he hasn’t been back yet. Anything the matter?”

“Well, Harry and I bumped into each other yesterday after his visit with Kingsley. He was surprised at something and asked me if I knew anything about it. I asked around today and I just wanted to tell him what I learned.”

“And?”

“Molly, you know I can’t tell you. Not yet anyway. It’ll be better if it came from Harry.”

“Alright. Eat up now,” as Molly handed her husband a plate piled with food.


HPGWHPGWHPGWHPGW


“Thank you for seeing me on such short notice, Minister.”

“Harry, call me Kingsley.”

“Kingsley,… remember the lip of paper you gave me two days ago?”

“Of course. What do you think?”

“Well, I have an idea.”

“Let’s hear it then.”

"I agree to the idea of the awards. ALL those who fought should be acknowledged somehow. I will leave the mechanics up to the Ministry. If you need me to attend the ceremony, just tell me when and where."

Kingsley nodded. He was glad that Harry agreed to the awarding ceremony. There would have been a public uproar had the Ministry not acknowledged Harry from saving them from Voldemort.

“Uh… The gold seized from the vaults of the known death eaters, rather than arbitrarily distribute compensation to heirs or next of kin, should be used to establish a foundation that would run schools, foster homes, and orphanages. The idea is so that no wizarding child will be brought up neglected in the muggle world. Tom Riddle a.k.a. Voldemort might have not turned bad had things been different for him. Besides, there will be a lot of orphans after all our losses in the last war. We should be looking into the future and taking care of the future generation rather than looking back. We fought the war for them after all.”

Kingsley sat in his chair dumbfounded. He almost did not recognize the young man sitting before him. “The Chosen One” had come very far.

“Alright, Harry. It is indeed a very good alternative. Any suggestions on who will run the foundation?’

Harry grinned mischievously. “I haven’t really ironed out any details but I think I should leave that to the one who is going to run the foundation. And besides, you’re going to be the one to ask her.”

Reviews 17
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear