Search:

SIYE Time:22:59 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Another Chance
By Captain Cranium

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Rating: PG
Reviews: 14
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

*** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

A cliché time travel story with a twist. After losing his friends and family to the war, Harry travels back in time to his fourteen year old self’s body and tries to change the outcome of the Triwizard Tournament.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5190



Disclaimer: All belongs to JK.



Author's Notes:
The first difference you will notice between this and other time travel fics is that Harry is going back to his Fourth Year, and not his First. I don’t know if other authors have tried this, but this is completely original on my part. I will also introduce you to some twists which I think are original. Currently, I plan on continuing this particular fic up to the end of Fourth Year. That may change, depending on the reviews I get. Finally, this is compliant with canon up to OOTP. That means there are no Horcruxes, and no Deathly Hallows.

This chapter is basically more of a prelude with nothing major different from canon. The next chapter will be different. Sorry if this chapter is rather short, but please bear with me. Please don’t forget to tell me what you think of my English when you review, because that’s the main reason I right Fanfiction. As always, constructive criticism is especially welcomed. Cheers!




ChapterPrinter


Chapter One: The First Task


Harry awoke on the morning of the First Task with a splitting headache and a feeling of panic that seemed strangely foreign to him. He groaned and struck out his hand in the general direction of his alarm clock which stopped ringing. Looking up, the first thing he noticed was that his body was oddly scrawny … even scrawnier than usual. He looked to the right and saw Ron snoring peacefully in his bed. Ron … he shot up in alarm and turned his gaze to the bed on his left. Neville was sleeping on it. The gentle rise and fall of his chest indicated that he was very much alive and kicking.

A sea of memories flooded into his head and exacerbated his headache. Rubbing his temples, he tried to make sense of what all had happened. The war … it all came back to him. The war had cost Harry a lot. By the time Voldemort had been defeated, the only people in his inner circle left alive were Ginny and Luna. Everyone else had died at the hands of Voldemort or his Death-Eaters. When it ended though, Harry had had no plans of traveling back in time on a fool’s errand to stop Voldemort. It would have been too risky and besides, Ginny would never have let him try it. But after she was killed by a rogue Death-Eater, Harry felt that he had nothing to live for. Luna helped him come up with a ritual that had only the slimmest of chances of success. But apparently, it had succeeded, and this time, Harry meant to do everything right and save as many lives as he possibly could. Starting with Cedric.

That was why he had pinpointed the First Task rather than the Third Task. With a decent lead before him, and the knowledge of the maze he had from the first time around, he could easily beat the rest of the champions to the Cup and finish Voldemort for once and for all, before the Second War could even start. Besides that, he would have to be very careful to follow the original timeline as closely as possible, or else lose control of events. There was only one thing he planned on doing differently this time … Ginny.

Grumbling under his breath, Harry kicked off his bed sheets, showered and got dressed. He was about to wake Ron when he remembered, just in the nick of time, that Ron wasn’t speaking to him during that period. Rolling his eyes at how immature he and his best mate had been, or rather, were, he headed downstairs to the Common Room.

Hermione was waiting for him there, and after giving her a quick hug that was extremely uncharacteristic of him, they headed down to breakfast and then to their first class History of Magic. All the while, Harry continued to berate himself over that hug. He had been so happy to see his best friend alive again, that he had lost control of his emotions. While he couldn’t replay everything exactly as it happened the first time around, he knew he should have at least behaved in-character. Fortunately, after looking at him oddly for a couple of minutes, Hermione seemed to pass this peculiar behaviour off as due to his nerves.

In History of Magic, Harry caught up on his sleep, and before he knew it, Professor McGonagall was leading him down to the Champions’ tent on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. He paled slightly as he pulled out the Hungarian Horntail model, and what nerves he had managed to brush off came rushing back to him. What if the summoning charm failed? He tried not to think of it. Cedric went in first, followed by Fleur and then Krum, leaving Harry to pace by himself.

At last, the whistle blew and Harry half-jogged, half-walked into the tent where the Horntail waited for him. He sucked in his breath as the magnificent beast came into sight … he had forgotten how huge it was. Pulling out his wand, he bellowed, “ACCIO FIREBOLT!” At first, it seemed like nothing had happened; but then, he heard a rustling sound as his faithful broom flew into his hands and heaved a sigh of relief. In the crowd, he was dimly aware of Hermione digging her nails into her cheeks. He also thought he saw a large black dog, and grinned despite himself. It was a good feeling, knowing that his Godfather was alive and watching over him. Swinging his leg over the broom he kicked off, and felt all his tension evaporate. This was his element.

His strategy was pretty much the same as last time. Only, this time, he shot random spells at the dragon from the air just to confuse it. It was difficult, but he had perfected this art during his many raids on Death-Eater strongholds. Sure enough, he managed to evoke a response from it earlier. The Horntail unfurled its leathery wings and rose into the air. At precisely that second, Harry dived, and before the Horntail knew what had happened, he had grabbed the Golden Egg, and was soaring above the crowd.

He had avoided getting hurt by the Horntail’s tail this time, but Professor McGonagall still dragged him to Madam Pomfrey’s first-aid tent for a check-up. Just as she pronounced him fit to go, Hermione and Ron came into the tent. But before any of them could open their mouths, Hermoine smacked Harry on the side of his head and pulled him into tight hug. Harry noticed Ron had gone even whiter than before, and smirked inwardly.

“What were you thinking?” Hermione hissed, letting go. “That wasn’t part of the plan!”

Harry blanched, before recovering quickly. “Sorry, Hermione. It was a spur of the moment thing.”

“You could have lost your concentration! You could have gotten yourself killed!” she almost yelled. Madam Pomfrey, who was tending to Cedric, sent a glare her way.

“Calm down, Hermione,” said Harry, grinning at her affectionately. “I don’t plan on dying any time soon.” His gaze hardened as he turned to Ron. The tension in the air seemed to increase ten-fold. Hermione noticed, and whatever argument she had come up with died within her. Harry stared, waiting for Ron to begin.

“Listen, Harry …” began Ron finally, but Harry cut him off.

“Don’t worry about it.”

“No really …”

“I’m serious Ron. Don’t worry about it,” repeated Harry, holding out his hand. Ron hesitated, and then grasped it, a wide smile breaking across his freckled face.

“C’mon mate,” he said, grinning. “They’re about to announce your score.” Arm-in-arm, the three friends walked over to the Judges’ table. Harry got tens from all four of the judges except Karakoff. Karakoff gave him a zero, claiming that none of Harry’s spells had worked against the dragon, and it was only luck that it decided to fly up to get him. There was an uproar in the stands against such obvious bias. Harry should at least have gotten points for the summoning charm and his flying, but nothing could be done about it. Harry swore under his breath. He still had the exact same number of points as he had had last time, and was tied with Krum for the top spot.

After his briefing with Bagman (in which he was basically told that the egg was a clue), and ignoring Rita Skeeter, Harry headed to the ‘surprise’ party Fred and George had planned, about which Ron just happened to let slip …

Reviews 14
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear