Search:

SIYE Time:19:48 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the War Against Voldemort
By hermyd

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 136
Summary: On that crucial night, Sirius Black made the decision to talk with Dumbledore before he went after Wormtail. Now Harry has been raised by someone who loved him and things are very different. The Boy Who Lived will fight a very different war this time around.
Hitcount: Story Total: 91386; Chapter Total: 8515





Author's Notes:

A/N: I wanted to point a few thing out that I know are going to raise questions. First of all, Ginny is much more outgoing in this story. I feel this is appropriate as in canon she is only shy because she knows who Harry is. That issue hasn’t come up yet. Also, they don’t ever question who Harry is because Molly assumes he shares the same last name as Sirius. This is encouraged by the fact that Harry calls Sirius uncle. Also, some people may think Harry is a little young to be able to master the disarming spell. In canon, he learned from just watching Lockhart in his second year. Also, Harry’s magic is much stronger at this point as compared to canon. This is a result of the fact that he always knew he was wizard and because he had such a happy childhood. It took many years for Harry to grow into his potential in canon, that is not as much of a problem here.

That said, I hope you enjoy. I know I certainly enjoy writing it. Also, this story is probably going to run on the long side. Thus I can use all the ideas I can get. Please let me know what you think.





ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


When Harry came out of the fireplace in the small pub, Sirius was waiting to catch him and quickly push him out the back door. If they couldn’t even get out of the pub without generating attention there was no hope that they would make it through the day without someone recognizing Harry. Once in the small courtyard, Sirius enjoyed the wide-eyed look on Harry’s face as the entrance to Diagon Alley opened up before them. They walked down the street, Harry excitedly pointing out many of the things in the shop windows. Not surprisingly, the first store that Harry insisted they enter was Quality Quidditch Supplies. Sirius had no doubt that Harry would soon be following in his father’s footsteps as one of the best Quidditch players Hogwarts has ever seen, but it wasn’t time for that yet.

“Harry, you already have a good broom. Besides, you aren’t even allowed to bring it with you this year.”

“Can’t I sneak it in, Uncle Sirius?”

“Not a chance, kiddo. You can suffer like the rest of us had to.”

“But look at the new Nimbus. It’s supposed to be lots faster than my Cleansweep.”

“I’m sure it is. Maybe we can come back and check it out. Next year.”

“Uncle Sirius!”

“Hey, I didn’t make the rule. Now, I thought you wanted a wand?”

“Yes!” Harry was completely distracted from the brooms. “Let’s go.”

Harry grabbed Sirius’ hand and dragged him out of the store and past several shops before he realized that he didn’t know where he was going and allowed Sirius, laughing with mirth, to lead the way. They stopped outside a narrow and shabby shop named Ollivanders: Maker of Fine Wands since 382 BC. But Harry hesitated before going in.

“What if none of the wands choose me?”

“Don’t you worry about that, kid. Ollivander can find a wand for anyone. You should have seen him trying to find a wand for me, the first Black to not be obsessed with the Dark Arts. It took him ages, and the longer it took the happier he got. He won’t have any trouble with you.”

Sirius nervously straightened the hat on Harry’s head once more as an old man with wide eyes came in to view. Harry didn’t say a word, too nervous to speak in front of the man with the strange eyes, but Sirius explained that they were looking for a wand. Then the old man started handing Harry wands to wave. It was a very long time, during which Harry was getting increasingly nervous, before Mr. Ollivander handed Harry a wand made of holly and phoenix feather. Harry knew immediately that this was the right wand. He felt a warmth flow from the wand up to the top of his arm, and when he brought the wand up it shot red and gold sparks out of the end and produced an eerie music that made Harry feel brave and good.

“Oh, bravo! Yes, indeed, oh, very good. Well, well, well… how curious… how very curious…” Mr. Ollivander began muttering to himself as he took the wand and wrapped it in paper. Harry looked at him with wide eyes.

“What’s curious?” Sirius asked, his posture taking on a defensive stance.

“I remember every wand I’ve ever sold, Mr. Black. Every single wand. It so happens that the phoenix whose tail feather is in this wand, gave another feather–just one other. It is very curious indeed that your godson should be destined for this wand when its brother–why, its brother gave a boy about the age of your godson here a very famous lightning bolt scar.”

Sirius watched the wand maker for a few minutes. “Do you know who this is, Mr. Ollivander?” The old man looked up at him, curious. In response, Harry raised his hat enough to reveal the scar on his forehead. Mr. Ollivander stared at it for several long minutes.

“Curious indeed how these things happen. The wand chooses the wizard, remember… I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…. After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things–terribly, yes, but great.”

“He killed my parents. I don’t think that is very great.”

Harry didn’t think he liked Mr. Ollivander. He turned sharply, intending to leave the store quickly. He was not entirely sure that it was worth putting up with the odd man in order to get a wand, despite how much he wanted one. But as he was about to exit the store he ran right in to a small girl that was entering the shop with her mother and two brothers. The two tumbled to the ground before Harry was able to stop himself. He looked up to see a boy about his age with bright red hair and blue eyes looking down at him with laughter in his eyes.

“Gin, can’t you even walk in to a store without being a klutz?”

“It wasn’t her fault,” Harry answered the boy, “I wasn’t looking were I was going.” He turned to the red-headed girl beside him on the ground. “Sorry about that.”

Harry pulled himself to his feet and then reached a hand down to help the small girl up as Sirius walked over and been quietly conversing with the mother. Harry offered his hand to the girl.

“My name is Harry. Sorry for knocking you over.” She shook it daintily, her brown eyes looking in to his curiously.

“Hi Harry. I’m Ginny and this oaf is my brother Ron.”

“Are you guys here to get wands, too?” Both red-heads blushed slightly at the question.

“No, I’ve got my brother Charlie’s old wand,” the boy, Ron, answered. “We’re here because Percy wants to get his wand looked at.”

“Oh.” Harry felt bad for having brought the subject up, but did not want to draw more attention to it as it seemed to make them both uncomfortable. “Are you starting Hogwarts then this year?”

“I am,” Ron answered, “but Ginny has one more year left.”

“I’m sorry,” Harry said, turning to the still blushing girl. “It would have been nice to know two people already. I’ve never met any wizarding kids before.”

“Are you a Muggleborn then?” Ginny asked softly.

“No,” Harry looked up at Sirius, as if unsure what he should say, but Sirius was still in conversation with the mother and older brother. “But we live in the forest and don’t get out much.”

“That’s no good,” she answered. “You should come over and play with us soon. It would be nice to play with someone who isn’t one of my brothers.”

“How many brothers do you have?”

“Six.” Harry stared at the two of them.

“That’s a lot. I don’t have any siblings. It is just me and Sirius.”

“Well, why don’t you come over tomorrow? I’m sure it will be okay with Mum.” Ron asked. “She never minds having a few extra kids around.”

“I don’t know,” Harry hesitated. Sirius never let him out on his own. “I don’t think I’m allowed.”

“Well why don’t we ask,” Ginny responded instantly. She grabbed his hand and pulled him over to where the adults were talking. “Mum, can Harry come over to play tomorrow?”

“Of course dear, if that is alright with you, Sirius.”

Sirius looked down at Harry and saw the pleading look in his eyes. Perhaps it was time to let him have a little bit of freedom. He could always keep watch as Padfoot.

“Sure, kiddo. I’ll send Harry over the floo in the morning.”

“Great!” She turned back to Harry. “Then we’ll see you tomorrow.” She dropped his hand and bounced off to look at the wands, leaving Harry to stare after her. He had never met such a lively girl before.

“Come on, Harry. We still have to get the rest of your supplies.” Sirius took Harry’s hand and then turned back to the witch in front of him. “It was a pleasure to meet you, Molly. I’ll send Harry by tomorrow.”


It took hours for Harry to calm down that night. He was so excited from his first trip to the Alley and from the prospect of spending tomorrow at the Weasley home. He had never known any other wizarding children and was very much looking forward to whatever the next day would bring. He was even willing to put up with Sirius’ rules.

“Now remember, Harry. Keep your hat on and don’t let them see your scar. It is better if they are your friends before they know who you are. And if you get into any trouble I am going to be nearby as Padfoot.”

“I know, Uncle Sirius. I’ll be just fine.”

“Probably,” Sirius agreed. “But I am still going to worry. That’s my prerogative. And don’t forget to be polite to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. And try not to get any in trouble. Remember, Albus says that the Weasley twins are almost as mischievous as your father and I were in school. No telling what they might do to you tomorrow.”

“Uncle Sirius,” Harry asked with a sly smile, “haven’t you always said that a good offense is always the best defense?”

“So I have, kid,” Sirius answered with a smile. “What did you have in mind?”

“Well I was thinking about that one I got Uncle Moony with last week. Very little set up and hilarious results.”

“Sounds perfect. I’ll even get everything ready for you tonight. But first, I want to show you something. Do you have your wand?”

Harry nodded and pulled the holly wand out of his pocket. “But I thought I’m not allowed to use magic outside of school.”

“You’re not. But technically you haven’t started school yet, so any magic you do is still considered accidental magic.” Harry grinned at his godfather. He loved bending the rules. “Now, I want to start teaching you the disarming spell. It will be good to know if you get in to any tough situations. Should buy you a little extra time. Now, you hold your wand like this,” he demonstrated with his own, “and the incantation is Expelliarmus. Just like this. Expelliarmus! Now you try.”

Harry watched carefully, then waved his own wand. “Expelliarmus!” Nothing happened. Gritting his teeth he tried again. Still nothing. “What am I doing wrong?”

“You need to move your wrist a little bit more. Like this.” Harry watched Sirius perform the motion several times. “Now try again.”

Expelliarmus!” This time, a jet of light shot out of Harry’s wand and impacted with the wall. “I did it! My first spell!”

“Very good, Harry. Now let’s see if you can make it work on an actual target. Uncle Moony is coming over tonight and he should be here any minute. See if you can disarm him.”

Harry grinned at his godfather. This was going to be fun! The two sat down to wait for Moony, Harry continuing to practice the movement with his new wand. It was several minutes before they heard the sound of footsteps on the porch.

“Hey boys! I’m home!” Moony called. This was his way of letting them know it was him. Not that there were many other people who came to visit. They heard the door begin to open and Harry spun around, his wand trained on the door.

“Expelliarmus!”

The jet of light collided with Remus before he even realized it was coming, and he fall backwards out the door, his wand spinning towards Harry. Harry burst in to laughter. “I did it! I disarmed Uncle Moony!”

“Very good, kiddo! Making me so proud.” Sirius affectionately ruffled his hair. “Now I better check on Moony. He is going to be mad enough at me already.”

Sirius walked over to Remus and watched as the werewolf sat up, looking up at him with an accusing glare.

“What happened? Why did you disarm me, Padfoot?”

“I didn’t,” Sirius said with a grin, “Harry did.”

“Really!” Remus said, all his anger evaporated as he climbed off the floor. “That is great Harry. You’re going to make one good little fighter.”

“Course I am,” Harry answered, a false bravado in his voice. “Someone has to take down Voldemort.”

“You told him?” Remus asked Sirius.

“Had to. We went to the Alley today. Oh, and he got invited over to the Weasley’s tomorrow.”

“Do they know who he is?”

“Course not. They just think he is some nice boy named Harry.”

“I am some nice boy named Harry.” Harry interjected, somewhat frustrated. He still wasn’t used to the idea that he was famous.

“Never said you weren’t, kiddo.”

Reviews 136
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear