Search:

SIYE Time:19:32 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the War Against Voldemort
By hermyd

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 136
Summary: On that crucial night, Sirius Black made the decision to talk with Dumbledore before he went after Wormtail. Now Harry has been raised by someone who loved him and things are very different. The Boy Who Lived will fight a very different war this time around.
Hitcount: Story Total: 91385; Chapter Total: 8625





Author's Notes:
finally back to a regular internet connections, so things should be coming sooner. Enjoy!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


The first week of class had been fantastic. Harry could already tell that he was going to love Transfiguration. Charms was a little bit harder for him, but Hermione had helped him with the spells until he was able to do them. Neville turned out to be really good at Herbology, and had agreed to help them study for that class. When they climbed up to the tallest tower to study Astronomy Harry discovered that Ron was able to identify most of the stars. He told them how his older brothers had spent hours telling him and Ginny stories about the different constellations. Unfortunately, at least in Harry’s mind, Defense Against the Dark Arts turned out to be something of a joke. Harry and Ron had determined, despite Hermione’s frown of annoyance, that they were going to spend most of that class planning pranks instead of paying attention. Even worse, the ghost who taught History of Magic had to be the most boring teacher any of them had ever had. Five minutes in to the first class all three boys’ had fallen asleep on their desks. Only Hermione was able to stay awake. But the worst class was Potions with Snape. Harry had been right to think that Snape would never treat him fairly. Harry had lost 20 points the very first day. Snape had been asking him all sorts of questions that Harry didn’t know the answer to, so Harry replied, “If you need so much help with the subject why are you the one teaching it?”

Ron had ducked out of sight to hide his laughter and Neville had gripped to the seat hard to keep himself from laughing. Only Hermione had not approved. But then she didn’t understand that Snape deserved it.

On Friday afternoon the four friends had walked down to a small hut on the edge of the forest and had tea with Hagrid. The large man turned out to be remarkably nice. He told them all stories about some of the creatures he looked after. But it was Saturday night that Harry was really looking forward to. He and Ron were going to sneak out under the cloak. They had spent most of the night waiting impatiently for Hermione and Neville to go to bed.

“Finally,” Ron muttered as Hermione disappeared up the stairs to her dormitory. “I thought they were never going to leave. Have you got it?”

Harry pulled out the invisibility cloak, and both boys slipped underneath it. As quietly as they could, they snuck out of the portrait hole–ignoring the Fat Lady’s squawk of protest at being woken up–and proceeded down to the dungeon. When they reached the door to Snape’s classroom Harry pulled out his wand and muttered a spell under his breath, while Ron pulled out the large sign they had made and hung it inside the classroom. It read “Your shower comes free of charge, in memory of the Maraudette who is unable to join us.” It had been Harry’s idea to dedicate the prank to Ginny. She had been sad that she wouldn’t be there to help them with it when Harry had written her their plan earlier in the week. He didn’t want her to feel left out.

“Let’s get out of here before Filch catches us,” Ron muttered. Harry nodded and threw the cloak around them once more.

Harry and Ron made sure to get to breakfast early the next morning. They wanted to be there when Snape got there. They had barely started eating when an irate, and very wet, Snape marched in to the Great Hall. He strode up towards Dumbledore, scattering the students who were in his way–they really didn’t want to deal with a Snape even angrier than usual. Harry, who knew Albus well, recognized the twinkle in the Headmaster’s eyes. He was trying not to laugh at his angry professor.

“Look what those brats did to me!”

“How do you know who is responsible, Severus?”

“It was Potter. He left a note.” Snape handed the sign to Dumbledore, who read it quickly.

“This does not say it was Potter. It only seems to be someone following in the auspicious tradition of the Marauders. That could be anyone. I’m sure you remember the prank the Weasley twins did in their honor several years ago.”

“It has to be Potter!”

“Very well, I will speak with Harry myself this evening.”

Harry practically laughed out loud. He knew he wasn’t going to get punished. Uncle Albus had already set up the meeting for tonight. When Harry had gone to the Headmaster’s office last week Albus had informed him that Sirius had requested that he teach Harry some of the rarer forms of magic that weren’t taught at Hogwarts. Tonight they were going to start working on something called Occlumency. Uncle Albus said it would keep Voldemort from learning the prophecy from Harry’s mind.

“Harry,” Hermione chided him, “you really shouldn’t be laughing. You are going to get in trouble tonight.”

“Nah, I already was meeting with Uncle Albus tonight. He just didn’t want to admit to Snape that he wanted to laugh just as much as I did.”

“Why are you meeting with Professor Dumbledore?” She asked curiously.

“Uncle Sirius asked him to teach me some things that I won’t learn at school. He wants me to learn how to protect myself.”

“Is he worried you are going to be attacked?”

“Well, it’s more for when…” Harry stopped himself quickly. “Yeah, I guess he is. Uncle Sirius worries like that.”

Hermione nodded thoughtfully, and Harry breathed a sigh of relief. He hadn’t told anyone about how he was going to have to fight Voldemort again someday. He would have to be more careful about what he said around her, she was clever enough to figure it out on her own if he wasn’t careful.

Once again, Harry wished that Ginny was here with him. She always kept him from brooding about things too much, even if she didn’t know the pressure he was under. Hermione tended to have the opposite effect. Maybe there was something he could do about that.

Muttering something about needing to go to the library, Harry escaped out of the Great Hall and ducked into the first empty classroom. He pulled the small mirror out of his pocket and whispered, “Sirius!” It was several minutes before Sirius came in to view.

“Hey kiddo, what’s up? How did your prank go?”

“It went perfectly. Snape marched in to the Great Hall sopping wet, demanding that I be punished as he was sure it was me. Uncle Albus said he would meet with me tonight, I think he was just preventing Snape himself from punishing me. He had to know I was the one who did it.”

“Yeah, it is hard to keep anything from Dumbledore.”

“Hermione was asking about my meetings with Uncle Albus today. I didn’t know what to tell her. I said that you had asked for me to have extra lessons because you’re paranoid. Sorry.”

“Hey, that’s alright. It got her off your tail.”

“Yeah, I think she is too smart sometimes. I want someone to talk to who can listen to my problems without asking too many questions. Ron always gets bored talking about feelings and Neville is too shy. I miss Ginny.”

“I’m sure she misses you, too, kid. She already fire called this morning asking if I knew how your prank had gone.”

“I wish I could talk to her the way I can talk to you.” Harry looked thoughtful for a minute. “Do you think I can make another set of mirrors for me and Ginny?”

“I’m not sure. It took James and me ages, and we were much older than you. The charms were pretty difficult.” Sirius thought for a few minutes. “But I remember reading about a similar idea that was much easier to do. I think it worked on a piece of parchment. Sent messages between them or something.”

“That would be great!”

“I’ll look it up for you and let you know.”

“Thanks, Uncle Sirius. I better get to the library. If I don’t start working on my Charms essay soon Hermione is going to start bugging me about it.”

“Alright, kid. Talk to you later.”


It was the following Thursday when Hedwig arrived at breakfast with a small package from Sirius. In it were instructions for creating a pair of message parchments. Sirius had even added a little spell that would make it so only he and Ginny could read them. But this meant that Ginny herself would have to cast the spell on her parchment. This worried Harry. He didn’t want Ginny to have to steal one of her parents’ wands. But he figured he could at least ask her. If nothing else, he could help her do it at Christmas.

Hey Ginny,

I can’t believe how well our prank worked. We dedicated it to the missing Maraudette, that’s you in case you couldn’t guess. Ron whined about this for awhile, but he came around eventually. Snape stormed into the middle of the Great Hall sopping wet and demanding to have me punished. The best part was he couldn’t prove it was me (Uncle Albus said something about how your brothers did pranks in honor of the Marauders as well) and so Uncle Albus had to ‘punish’ me. Actually, he called me to his office and had a good laugh at the look on Snape’s face. Though he did tell me that I probably shouldn’t be pranking teachers. I take that to mean that it is perfectly okay to prank students. Ron and I are working on ideas. Neville even wants to help this time. I think he was just scared to help with Snape. Of course, Hermione still hasn’t stopped yelling at us for the prank on Snape. I don’t think she has ever broken a rule in her life. We’ll have to work on her. But in the meantime I think it’s best if we leave her out of the planning of our pranks.

Anyways, I asked Uncle Sirius to help me with something. I wanted to be able to talk to you better than through a letter. It always takes so long, even if Hedwig is really fast. Uncle Sirius and Dad had made these mirrors when they were at school that let them talk to each other and I was hoping I could make some for us. But Uncle Sirius said they were really hard and I probably wouldn’t be able to for a couple years. Instead he told me about a spell we could do on a piece of parchment. It should work like an instant letter so that we can talk whenever we want. Uncle Sirius even found a way so that only you and I can read them. I think it would be a great idea. But it is up to you. Because you have to perform the charm yourself. Sirius said it shouldn’t be too difficult, but I don’t want you to get in trouble for using magic. So anyways. I included the instructions. If you want to, perform the charm and write to me. I’ll be waiting!

Your friend, Harry.

P.S. Flying lessons are tonight! I can’t wait to fly again. And this will be a great chance to show Malfoy up. He’s always talking about flying, but I bet I can beat him. It’s in my blood!

Harry was very nervous on Friday. He had sent the letter to Ginny yesterday and he wasn’t sure what she would do. What if she didn’t think it was worth the possibility of getting in trouble? What if she didn’t want to talk to him? But he nonetheless carried his charmed parchment to every class with him. He almost yelled at Neville when the boy asked to borrow it, having forgotten his own. He hurriedly found another piece and explained how that was a special piece of parchment. It wasn’t until half-way through Potions that something happened. A piece of writing appeared on the parchment and Harry nearly shouted with joy.

Hey, Harry!

Ginny! You did it! You didn’t get in trouble, did you?

No, I stole Mom’s wand while she was making breakfast. She never even noticed it was gone.

Good. I almost didn’t ask you, I didn’t want you to get in trouble.

Prat! Of course I wanted to. Besides, if she had caught me I was just going to tell her I was trying to perform a prank on my letter to Fred and George.

You are entirely too devious. Can’t wait to see what pranks we can play once you get here.

“Potter! What are you doing?”

Harry looked up into the black eyes of a very angry Snape.

“Nothing, Sir. Just taking notes on our potion.”

“That parchment looks blank to me.” Harry was immensely glad they had added the spell to hide it from everyone else.

“I hadn’t started yet.”

Snape didn’t look convinced. He grabbed the parchment and examined closely. Harry held his breath the entire time, trying desperately to look like he didn’t care about that piece of parchment more than any of the rest. Snape evidently couldn’t find anything wrong with it. He slammed it back on the desk and barked, “detention tomorrow for not paying attention in my class, Potter.”

Harry nodded, then waited until Snape had returned to his desk before turning back to his parchment.

Harry? Where did you go?

Sorry, Gin. Snape gave me detention for not paying attention.

Oh, I thought you had forgotten about me.

Not likely. But I should go before he gives me another one. Can we talk later tonight?

Sure, Harry. I’ll be waiting.


…So Malfoy really got his comeuppance. I didn’t think he was expecting me to be so much better on a broom than him. And even better, Madam Hooch told him he had been doing it wrong for years! It was hilarious. Ron and I aren’t going to let him forget it anytime soon.

I knew you would beat him. Just wish I was there to see the stupid grin get taken off his face.

It was a good think Uncle Sirius had taught me to ride so well, though. Neville was really nervous–I guess his Gran never let him ride a broom before–and shot up like a cork straight in to the air, totally out of control. But I was able to get close enough to him that I could help him steer his broom back down to the ground. Madam Hooch gave me 20 points and pulled me aside afterwards to tell me that I should try out for the Quidditch team. I guess they have been looking for a seeker and haven’t been able to find anyone. It would be so cool if I could make the team this year!

That is fantastic Harry! You’ll have to try and talk them in to letting you have your own broom. I hear the school ones are dreadful.

Yeah, they definitely aren’t as fast as mine. Hey! Maybe Uncle Sirius will buy me a new one in celebration! I’ll have to ask him.

I bet he was happy you got on the team.

Yeah. Haven’t seen him this excited since that time I was able to get both him and Uncle Remus with a hair loss potion.

I wish I could be there with you. It is so boring here with Ron gone. Mom is always trying to find something girly for us to do together. I don’t think she likes the fact that I always want to play with the boys.

What can I say, we’re just funner than the girls.

That’s not even a word, Harry. And there are some fun girls. Luna Lovegood lives close by, but she gets a little weird sometimes. Always going on about imaginary creatures and things. She’s been like that ever since her mom died a few years ago.

Maybe she’s just lonely.

Yeah, probably. I should go see her again soon.

I wonder if your mom would be okay with inviting Sirius over. I don’t like that he is all alone in that house.

I’m not sure he is alone.

What do you mean?

The other day Mum sent an owl asking if he wanted to stop by for dinner. He sent back a scribbled reply. Said something about interviewing teachers. Seemed a little fishy to me.

Well, he might be looking for another teacher for me.

What do you mean? Why do you need a teacher.

Sirius wants me to learn a lot of things that aren’t covered at Hogwarts.

Why?

Beca use… Because he wants me to be ready.

For what? Come on Harry, it’s like pulling gnomes some times to get you to talk.

Well, I’m not really supposed to say anything.

Oh. Well then you don’t have to.

But I want to. I guess you could say that we know I am going to have to be the one to fight Voldemort when he gets enough strength to come back.

How do you know that?

Um… I shouldn’t say. Uncle Albus would get mad at me for telling anyone. That’s why I have meetings with him, though. He is teaching me Occlumency right now. That is magic that keeps anyone from being able to read your mind. And when I get done with that Sirius hinted that he might get someone to teach me fencing. He said it might be good practice.

Wow. Do you think I can learn, too? At least when I get to Hogwarts?

I hope so. But I know one thing you can learn. Starting this summer Sirius promised to teach me to be an animagus like him. And he said he would teach you, too.

REALLY!

< em>Yeah. I can’t wait to find out what animal I am. I can’t decide if I want to be a stag like my dad was, or if I want to be a bird that can fly.

Flying would be nice. But I also would like to be a cat.

I can see that.

Oh, Harry. I have to go. Mum is calling. I think she gets nervous when I am quiet for so long. She thinks I’m turning out too much like the twins.

I like that about you. Alright, but don’t forget to write if anything interesting happens.

I won’t. Goodnight Harry.

Night Gin.

Reviews 136
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear