Search:

SIYE Time:13:22 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Darkness Rising
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, James Potter, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Other
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 245
Summary: ON HIATUS FOR NOW. Sequel to Innocence Lost. Read that one first. Harry's fifth year. More surprises are in store for Harry and company. Harry has to learn how to handle an evil teacher, an evil wizard who wants him dead. He finds the answers to why he and Ginny can practically feel the others' emotions. Oh, and Harry's parents are alive? He has a sister?
Hitcount: Story Total: 108170; Chapter Total: 5505





Author's Notes:
In this chapter, we see different glimpses of the first day of term. We get a picture of what the new DADA professor is like. This is the longest one I've done in a while, hope you all enjoy it. For those who like trivia, caitiff is another word for villain and tort means wrong.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 11



"What's the matter, Cherish?" Harry asked his overly anxious looking sister.

Harry was just about to join the line for the carriages when he'd gotten a good look at his sister's face. Ron and Hermione left to fulfill their prefect duties. Ginny had spied a few friends she had unintentionally neglected the previous year and left to talk with them. Dudley had wandered up and down the station, taking it all in.

"I guess...I guess I'm afraid I won't be put in Gryffindor this time," she said quietly.

Harry took her by the arm and led her to the side of the path. When they'd found a semi-private spot, he turned to look at her.

"Why would you be afraid of that?"

"Well, it's just...that...," She took a huge breath and exhaled. "My first sorting, the hat said I could have gone to either Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, or Hufflepuff. I guess I'm afraid that if I get put in one of those houses...I won't see you much anymore." That las bit was barely whispered.

It hit Harry at that moment how fearful she really was. "Cherish, I know I haven't exactly spent a lot of time with you and I'm sorry for that. I'm used to my friends being my family but I promise you, no matter what house you get sorted into, I'll always have time for you, whatever you may need."

Cherish nodded and hugged him fiercely before letting go. She took a few deep breaths, fanned her face to dry her tears and to hurry her face back to normal.

"Unless, of course," Harry couldn't resist joking, "you get sorted into Slytherin. Then I'll just have to disown you. Then again, you'd have ample opportunities to prank Malfoy. That alone would make it worth it. I'd almost pay to see how Snape would handle that. He never takes points from his own house and never gives detention to those in his own house either."

Cherish's laughter rang out by the time Harry had finished. Giving him a kiss on the cheek she said, "Thanks, Harry." Heading toward the voice calling for all the first-years, she turned and gave a final wave.

Harry returned her wave before seeking out his other half. He found her a short distance away, surrounded by her friends. From the looks of things, Ginny was enjoying herself, for which Harry was glad. He knew Ginny had been a little worried her friends wouldn't want anything to do with her after practically abandoning them after she had gotten together with him.

++++

"Ginny!" cried Amelia, in delight. Amelia was a fourth-year Gryffindor and was one of Ginny's best friends.

Amelia gave Ginny a Hagrid-worthy hug. "It's good to see you again. You're looking well."

Before Ginny could reply, three more friends came along. Renee, Crystal, and Haley engulfed Ginny and Amelia. The newcomers were also Gryffindor fourth-years.

"So," Renee asked of Ginny, "you and Harry still together?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, we are and that's something I wanted to discuss with you guys before the Feast tonight."

Seeing that she held each of her friends' attention, she pulled up her right sleeve to reveal the shiny bracelet that seemed to glow in the low light. Ginny glanced at each face to gauge their reactions. Looks of shock seemed to be the prevalent one.

Haley recovered first. "Oh. Merlin. Is that what I think it is?"

"You and Harry?" asked Renee.

Crystal was confused. "What? I'm missing something. What does that mean?"

"It means, my muggle-born friend," stated Amelia, "that our Ginny here has gone and gotten herself married to the hero of the wizarding world."

"Really? So you're like, adults, now, right?"

"Yep," Ginny smiled, "The Ministry sees us as adults now, which means, no Trace, and no one can tell us what to do anymore."

Haley squinted her eyes, studying Ginny for a moment. "You're not pregnant, are you?"

Ginny's eyes got wide. "NO!" Then she blushed.

"So," Renee asked with a wicked grin, "Are you two...you know. What's it like?"

Ginny blushed again. "I'm not telling you about that; whether we are or not isn't any of your business."

Amelia shrewly studied her friend. "They are."

"No, they're not," declared Haley, "She'd tell us if they were."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "When you're done discussing my love life..."
"Well, we don't have one so we have to live vicariously through you."

"So where will you being staying? Not in the dorms, surely."

"Well, yes and no. Actually, we'll be in the Head Boy's room. No one but us can get in unless given a password and before you ask, no I'm not giving it out. Sorry."

Ginny looked up, noticed Harry standing alone and decided to remedy that. "Hey, one more thing. I know the Prophet's been saying a lot of stupid stuff about Harry. It means a lot to know that you don't believe it."

"How could we when we'd been regaled with 'the real Harry' stories for two years."

A little laughter, and a few hugs and a promise not to be a stranger later, she joined Harry in line. Ron and Hermione came along right after that and Dudley right after them. Luna came up behind them carrying a cat-sized cage. Inside was the most curious looking animal Harry had ever seen. It was about the size of a cat, with long silky black hair that practically hid its legs and paws, no tail. Its muzzle was long, like that of a dog, but it had a crumpled-looking horn, just above the nose. The horn itself appeared to be covered in soft gray velvet. It had no discernable ears. From what Harry could see, the eyes appeared irridescent. Every time it opened its mouth, a raspy, sandpapery sound was emitted. And it stank.

"Luna, what is that?" asked Ron with a hint of disgust in his voice.

Luna turned her dreamy, smiling countenance to the redhead and said, "It's a Crumple-Horned Snorkack. Daddy and I caught him over the summer. His name is Ralph."

Everyone just stared. No one could believe they were actually seeing a Crumple-Horned Snorkack, and yet, there it was.

"It stinks," Ron complained, holding his hand over his nose.

"Only because he's frightened. Normally, the Crumple-Horned Snorkack is a very clean smelling animal. They make good pets in that regard."

They were saved from any further comments, for a carriage had arrived. An involuntary shudder wracked Harry at the sight of the thestrals. Not because of their appearance, really, even though they looked gruesome enough, but more because of what being able to see them represented. If you could see thestrals, it meant you'd seen death. Another shudder went through him.

Feeling Harry needed a reminder of something positive, Ginny clasped his hand and sent waves of comfort and love through their link. She didn't stop until the two of them, along with Ron, Hermione, Dudley, and Luna were in their own carriage, on their way to the castle. No one spoke, trying to avoid inhaling the terrible odor emanating from the cage in Luna's lap.

Finally arriving at the castle, the Gryffindors parted company with Luna and found their table in the Great Hall. Harry could feel many of the students' eyes on him. He'd seen the Daily Prophet articles questioning his sanity. He also knew the edition regarding his parents and sister had to have made a major impact on their world. The Hall sounded alive with the buzzing of voices, some about Harry, Harry and Ginny's newest relationship facet, Harry's family's reappearance, or others just catching up from the summer.

"I wonder who the new Defence teacher is," pondered Hermione.

"Or the new Care of Magical Creatures teacher seeing as Hagrid's still not back yet." Ron added.

"Well, there's two new people. Which do you think teaches which subject?" Hermione prodded.

Before anyone could voice an opinion, the Hall doors opened and McGonagall led the first-years to the Staff Table. As soon as Cherish entered, the Hall went silent. This did not escape her notice. Her steps faltered but when she glanced toward the Gryffindor table and saw Harry give her a wink, she smiled and finished the walk to the Staff Table with her chin up.

Cherish watched the Sorting Hat get placed in its usual spot and listening as it sang its song about the Houses needing to come together to defeat a common foe. She watched as, one by one, the others were called to be sorted. The closer it came to her turn, the more anxious she became. Then, finally, her turn at last.

"Potter, Cherish!" called out McGonagall.

Once again, Cherish sat on the stool and had the Hat placed on her head. The familiar voice hummed in her ear.

"Another Potter? How did that happen? Hmmm. Let's see. Hmmmm. Uh huh. Uh huh. Oh, now I understand. Well, welcome to this universe Miss Potter. Now, where to put you? I see I put you in Gryffindor before. Yes, you'd do well there. You've a sharp mind so Ravenclaw could be your House. You've shown loyalty to a brother you barely knew, you could go to Hufflepuff. Ah, I see you want more time with him, well then, better be...GRYFFINDOR!"

The Gryffindor table exploded into cheers as Cherish joined Hermione, Ron, Dudley, Ginny, and Harry. She sat down beside Harry, who leaned over and whispered.

"See, nothing to worry about after all. Guess Malfoy is safe, for now, anyway."

Dumbledore stood and commanded the students' attention. "Welcome students. It was brought to my attention that you had an unusual trip on the Express today. For those who were curious, one of the creatures was a dragon, an Antipodean Opaleye. The other dragon was a Peruvian Vipertooth. It is still not known what these two were doing so far from their native lands. The third dragon-like creature was a graphorn. We are still investigating the appearance of all three of these dangerous creatures. I commend you all who remained on the train, for the train has been given every possible protection, including fire protection. I would also like to commend Harry and Ginny Potter for saving another's life to the possible detriment of their own. Help was called in and arrived as soon as it could, though it seemed Harry and Ginny had the matter well in hand. Thank you to you both. Don't do it again. Now, the rest of the announcements can wait. Let's eat!"

"Finally!" hollered Ron as he began loading his plate.

"That reminds me. Where did you learn that shield charm?"

Harr smirked. "From you, Hermione." He laughed at her cofused look. "Remember what you gave me for my birthday?"

Hermione's eyes lit like muggle light bulbs. "That charm was in that book of defense?" At Harry's nod, she looked full of pride. "Wow."

Harry reached under his collar and fished out the protection chain and pendant Bill had given him for his birthday. "Besides, I had this on and figured it could certainly help and it did. It got all warm and it added a boost to my magic but it didn't last nearly long enough."

++++

After the food had been consumed, Dumbledore stood and began the year's announcements.

"For all those who need reminding," he looked right at the twins, "and for all the first-years, the Forbidden Forest is out of bounds. Our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has a list of banned items pinned on his door." Again, he looked straight at the twins. "No magic is allowed in the hallways. Now, on to the special announcements. We have two new members of staff this year. Taking over for Professor Hagrid while he is on special leave, we have Professor Wilhemina Grubbly-Plank."

A short, elderly lady with very short gray hair and a very large chin stood and bowed her head in acknowledgment.

Once the applause died down, Dumbledore introduced the other instructor. "This is Professor Caitiff Tort. She will be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts this year."

The lady who stood this time was quite the opposite of Grubbly-Plank. This lady appeared to be in her late 20s with glossy black locks that flowed down to the middle of her back. Her eyes were aquamarine blue and piercing. Her milky-white complexion made her lips appear cherry red. There wasn't a single male above puberty age who didn't seem completely enthralled with her, that is except for the Professors and Harry.

Hermione looked at Ron, whose mouth was wide open, in disgust and turned to Harry. Seeing he wasn't the least bit affected, she whispered, "She's got to have some Veela blood in her somewhere. I'm assuming it's the you-know-what that's keeping you from being affected."

"Probably," Harry said with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Thankfully, or I'd have to hex you severely and make you sleep on the couch," Ginny half-jokingly threatened.

The thought of that made Harry wince and he took Ginny's hands in hers. "Ginny, I love only you, you know that. I would never react to someone's superficial charms."

Ginny smiled, leaned in to plant a kiss on Harry's lips, and after freeing one of her hands, carressed his leg.

"Just remember that and we'll be fine." She ruined the threat by laughing.

At that moment, Professor Tort came around the staff table to address the student body, which caught everyone off guard since it had never happened before. She smiled, but it was voice when she spoke that seemed to beguile. It was soft and melodious.

"I realize that you have had several different instructors in this subject. Because of this, your education was unbalanced. I will do my best to correct that mistake using a Ministry approved curriculum. By the end of the year, I'm sure you will agree that I and the Ministry is correct. Thank you."

She returned to her seat, leaving a stunned silence in her wake.

Slowly, Dumbledore began a polite applause with everyone following suit. After a minute, Dumbledore held up his hands.

"Now off to the dorms with all of you. Get a good night's rest. Do your best in your classes."

With that, benches scraped back, feet shuffled as the students headed for their common rooms.

++++

"All I'm saying, Dean, is how can we be sure? I mean, he's always gotten away with everything, always gotten special treatment. Don't you think that sends the wrong message? It practically screams for him to say anything and expect it to be taken seriously."

Harry overheard Seamus and Dean's conversation and immediately felt irritated. Seamus was supposed to be a friend. They'd spent four years in the same dorm room, after all. Climbing into the portrait hole, he tried to ignore it. He heard Dean's response, regardless.

"And then there's the Daily Prophet. Everyday they're saying something about him. I just don't know what to believe anymore."

Harry couldn't keep silent any longer. "What do you mean you don't know what to believe?"
Dean, at least, looked embarrassed at being caught by the very person he'd been discussing. Seamus, on the other hand, looked Harry defiantly in the eye.

"That's right, Potter. We don't know what to believe. After all, there's no proof, whatsoever, that You-Know-Who is back, just your word."

"I wasn't the only one who saw him, Seamus," Harry's voice took on a certain coldness.

"Oh, yes, let's see," Seamus said condescendingly, "An old family friend, a werewolf, and a champion who isn't in her right mind anymore."

"Well, who do you think did that, then? Dumbledore was there too."

"For all we know, you could have done that to her. As for Dumbledore, he'd agree with anything you said."

The thought that his own dormmates, guys he'd thought were friends, thought that he could possibly do something so cruel as torture another, made his blood boil. He clenched his fists, his breathing increased, heart pounded and he began to tremble.

"Is that what you think?!" He looked around the common room at the other faces, trying to gauge who believed him and who didn't. "Is that what you all think?!" Silence. "Fine! At least have the decency to say it to my face!"

Battling the turmoil of emotions coming through their link, Ginny placed her hand on Harry's arm and gently pulled him toward the stairs all the while trying to send him some comfort and love.

"Come on, Harry. Let's go on to our room and relax. Make an early night of it." She looked around with narrowed eyes and raised her voice when next she spoke. "Besides, you know who your true friends are."

The two disappeared through the doorway.

++++

"That was out of line, Seamus, and you know it," declared Ron.

"I know nothing of the sort."

"If you were going to disrespect a bloke, the least you could do is wait until he's present to defend himself."

"It's not surprising that you believe him, as involved with your family as he is."

"I believe him because Death Eaters attacked my home over the summer. We all know they don't act without orders."

"They attacked Harry and me, too." Dudley spoke up for the first time.

"Well, I still say it's only his word. Show me proof and then we'll talk."

"You're supposed to be his friend. How could you possibly spend so much time around him and not know anything about him? For Merlin's sake, he's shared a dorm room with you for four years!"

"All right, all right," Hermione jumped in before they did something stupid. "Let's just relax. Perhaps it's better if you stay away from each other until your tempers cool down."

"Fine by me." groused Ron.

Ron plopped down on a couch by the fire and stared daggers at his dormmates.

++++

"Can you believe him?" Harry ranted upon entering his and Ginny's room. "The nerve of him. Just when you thought you knew someone, something happens to make you realize you don't know them at all. They were supposed to be friends. Did we or did we not spend the last four years sharing the same dorm room?"

Ginny watched Harry pace back and forth and let him vent his frustrations. Sorely tempted to go hex Seamus and Dean though she was, she knew it wouldn't solve anything. As Harry began winding down, Ginny silently took him by the arm and pulled him into the loo. Inside, she turned on the water for the tub, made sure the water was nice and hot, added a scent to help him relax then turned back to Harry. Ginny pulled off his robe, sweater, undid his tie and began on the buttons to his shirt before Harry stopped her.

"What are you doing?" he asked, just a little wary.

Reaching up, Ginny removed his glasses before replying. "You need to relax. This will help. It's always worked for me, anyway."

When he just stood there without moving, Ginny untucked his shirt and finished the buttons before pulling it off his shoulders. "Now you do the rest or am I going to have to do it for you?"

Harry's response was a quirk of an eyebrow and a smirking smile. The whole look was ruined, though, because he was squinting.

Ginny blushed a little. She leaned forward and kissed him quite thoroughly before pulling back to whisper. "Don't tempt me." Then walked out of the room.
It was only after he'd been in the tub awhile, his mind conjuring all kinds of fantasies with Ginny, before he'd realized she'd managed to make him forget about his row with Dean and Seamus.

As they lay in bed later, facing each other, legs intertwined and arms around the other, Harry sighed. "Thanks, Ginny. That bath really helped."

"I'm glad," she murmured sleepily. "We'll face whatever comes, together. Now go to sleep. I can tell you're just as tired as I am."

Harry chuckled, kissed Ginny on the top of her head and closed his eyes. Within minutes, both were asleep.

++++

"So what do you have first?" Ginny asked Harry after McGonagall gave him his schedule.

He, Ginny, Cherish, Dudley, Ron, and Hermione were sitting in the Great Hall having breakfast.

"Charms. What do you have?"

Ginny groaned, "History of Magic. I guess the good thing is that I get it out of the way first off. Then the Astronomy class where we'll get the overview of what we'll be studying this year and likely some homework. After lunch I have Potions then Defense class."

"I'm sorry," though Harry's tone of voice didn't sound as if he was. "I have Transfiguration after Charms, then Care of Magical Creatures then Herbology. A pretty easy day from the looks of it."

"Dudley, what's your schedule look like?" asked Hermione.

"I have Herbology first, then Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures, then Potions."

"Hey, we'll have Astronomy together. And you'll have Care of Magical Creatures with Harry, Ron and Hermione."

Dudley looked worriedly at his cousin for a reaction. Harry smiled. "That's great. Hope you enjoy the classes."

"Where are the greenhouses and where is the Astronomy classroom?"

"The greenhouses are out the front doors and to the right. You'll see them. If you wait for me at the front doors I'll show you where the Astronomy class is and your others too, since there's a break in between. I suggest you pack your History class stuff and a notebook for Astronomy. You won't need your telescope until tonight."

"Okay, thanks."

"What about you, Cherish? What do you have today?" asked Harry.

She looked at her schedule and groaned, wrinkling her nose in distaste. "Potions first then Defense. In the afternoon I have double Transfiguration."

Harry wrinkled his nose at the thought of having Potions first thing in the morning. "Sorry. Let us know how Defense goes at lunch."

"Sure thing. I think I'm going to go ahead so that Snape can't take points for me being late."

"It's getting close to class time. We should all be heading out," advised Hermione.

They all headed back to their rooms to pick up their needed supplies and headed to class. Ginny stopped at his class to say good-bye. They stood apart from Ron and Hermione to have as much privacy as possible.

"I'll see you at lunch, luv. I'll be thinking about you while Binns drones on and on."

"I wish I still had that bracelet you made me for Christmas. It just seemed to have disappeared after the attack. Not that I'll need it anyway." He finished with a smile and a waggle of his eyebrows.

Ginny laughed, kissed him, lingering a little longer than she had intended with it, then headed off to the first floor.

++++

"How was Defense class, Cherish?" Hermione asked as they all sat down and started on lunch.

"Oh, you are not going to believe this. She's got us reading out of some beginner's book and won't let us use our wands...at all."

"Maybe it's only for the first few classes."

"No, I'm telling you, we don't get to use them. She claims that as long as we know the principle of the spell, then we should be able to cast it."

"But that's ridiculous." Hermione seemed to take this as a personal offront. "We need to be able to practice spells since we have to do them for our O.W.L.s."

"Well, maybe your class will be different." Her expression said she didn't think so.

"Hey, Dudley, how was your first class?" asked Ginny.
"We talked about caring for carnivorous plants. I never realized there were so many. I always thought the Venus Flytrap was just odd like...the duck-billed platypus, but now I find out it's a magical plant."

"The platypus is actually a result of a cross-species transfiguration gone wrong," informed Hermione in her lecture voice.

While she continued, since Dudley seemed interested, the others talked amongst themselves. In no time at all, it was time to head off to class. This time, Harry escorted Ginny down to the dungeons, while Hermione and Ron went ahead. One to say bye to Ginny and two, to show Dudley where the class was since Ginny didn't have time that morning. A quick kiss and Harry and Dudley were headed out of the castle towards Hagrid's hut for class.

++++

The bell rang for the end of the first afternoon class. Ginny practically ran from the dungeon classroom. On her way to the stairs for the first floor, she crossed paths with Dudley on his way to his first Potions class.

"Remember, Dudley, don't let him get to you."

Dudley nodded his head and continued down the stairs.

Ginny entered the class and sat at a table close to the door. A Hufflepuff girl sat next to her. The girl eyed Ginny before she summoned the courage to ask the questions she'd been dying to ask.

"Are you and Harry Potter really married? Do you and he...you know? What's it like?"

Ginny sighed. "Yes, we're married. As for the other, it's really not any of your business."

The rest of the class filed in and the new professor behind them. She strolled to the front of the room, waved her wand at the stack of books on her desk and began distributing them.

"You will not be needing your wands in this class. The Ministry has decided a different approach is what you all need. A rudimentary approach is what the Ministry has come up with. If you study the principle of the spell, you'll have no trouble performing it when necessary."

"But some of us learn better by doing, rather than reading," protested Ginny.

"You need to raise your hand and politely wait until you are called upon before speaking," scolded the professor.

Ginny raised her hand.

"Yes, Miss...?"

"It's Mrs. Potter." This garnered her a few odd looks. "As I said, some of us learn best by practicing it over and over again."

"And I will say again, Miss, if you understand the principle, you'll be able to perform the spell."

Highly frustrated, Ginny spoke out. "It's Missus Potter and you're setting some of us up for failure."

"I believe I will be seeing you tonight for detention, Mrs. Potter." With her smile in place, she addressed the rest of the class. "Now begin reading chapter one."

Grumbling, Ginny opened her book.

++++

"Are you sure he knows what to do and will succeed?" asked a cloaked figure of another.

"Positive. The first part of the plan will be put into effect any day now."

"Good," said the first with an evil grin.

++++

While Ginny was earning herself detention, Dudley was finding out what it was like to be Harry. From the moment he'd walked in the door, Dudley had been berated, sneered at, put down. He began to feel really bad for the way he'd treated Harry. Vowing to make it up to Harry somehow, he concentrated on the potion they were working on, the Babbling Beverage. By the end of class, he'd managed to produce a potion really close to how it was supposed to look. Remembering the warning to collect two samples, he filled one vial, then another. Setting one on Snape's desk, he turned back to collect his things when, sure enough, he heard glass break.

"Oops, so sorry," jeered Snape. "Guess that means no marks for you."

"Well, then I guess it's a good thing I have this extra sample."

Dudley smiled, put it on Snape's desk, and walked away. Gathering his supplies, he headed off to supper.

++++

"She's as bad as Cherish told us she was," Ginny groused at supper.

"How can she expect us to learn if she doesn't teach us?" wondered Hermione.

"Apparently she doesn't. Anyway, I have detention with her tonight."

"What for?" Harry asked, half-amused, half-proud.

"For correcting her when she refused to address me properly and for daring to speak against her."

"Ginny!" Hermione cried, horrified. "She's a teacher! You can't be doing that. She may not be a good teacher but she still deserves your respect."

"You can talk after you've spent time in her class. If you feel the same way, then you can lecture me all you want."

Ginny turned her back on the brunette and gave her attention to Harry. "There's no point in waiting up for me. She'll probably keep me as long as she possibly can."

"I'll be there waiting outside the door."

"No, get started on that Transfiguration essay I know you have to do."

"I've got plenty of time to do that."

"No, get it done now so your work doesn't pile up again."

"Yes, Hermione."

Ginny swatted his arm, finished eating, and went to serve her detention.

++++

"Good to see you again, Miss. Sit down, please."

As Professor Tort prepared supplies, Ginny looked around her. The walls had been scrubbed clean and painted a putrid shade of green. Violent framed photos of erupting volcanoes, wildfires, and earthquakes warred with serene sunsets, beach scenes, and flowering meadows.

The young professor placed an eighteen inch roll of parchment in front of Ginny, along with a quill and ink. She took out her wand.

"Show me your hands, palms up."

Puzzled, but wary, Ginny did so. She immediately wished she hadn't as her hands began to burn and redden. It lasted for all of a minute but it was long enough to make the pain in her hands severe. Her fingers barely flexed. She had no idea how she was going to hold a quill.

"Now that I have your attention, I want you to write 'I will show respect to my elders' on this entire side, neatly."

"Yes, professor."

"See, it's working already and you haven't even started."

Ginny just barely refrained from commenting. With trembling hands, she picked up the quill and slowly began to write, wincing with each letter. After awhile, her hands became numb. With fire burning in her eyes, fury and pain, swirling inside like a tornado, Ginny vowed to get back at the hateful instructor in a way that would make the woman wish she'd never accepted the position.

++++

"Bloody hell!" Harry threw down his quill, slammed his book closed and crumpled the parchment he'd been using. He ran both hands through his hair, gripping it, and hunched over, letting out a frustrated sound.

"Harry?" queried Hermione, fearfully.

Momentarily lost in the maelstrom of emotions, it took Hermione calling his name three times and being shaken by Ron before he came out of it.

"Harry, are you okay?"

Taking a deep breath to steady himself, he let it out slowly. His hands trembled as he rubbed his chest. "It's Ginny. She's in a towering temper. I swear if that professor does anything..."

"Harry, she's a professor. She won't, she can't," insisted Hermione.

"You might just be surprised, Hermione. Open your eyes. Obviously she can if Snape can teach here and be as prejudiced against all students but Slytherins."

"But that's completely different than actually harming a student."

"Whatever."

Too edgy to study now, Harry sat in an armchair, hands tapping out a restless rhythm on the chair arms, knees bouncing up and down as he waited for his beloved.

A few hours later, the common room was empty, except for Harry, Ron, Hermione, Cherish and Dudley. The portrait opened to admit Ginny and Harry was up like a shot and on his way over. Grabbing her hands to pull her into his arms, he noticed her flinch. Delicately holding her wrists, he pulled her into the light to look at her hands. What he saw turned his stomach. They were red, raw, and slightly swollen.

"What did she do?" asked Harry in a voice to rival the arctic.

Ginny briefly thought of lying but knew Harry would see right through it. "She used a mild Scouring Charm then had me write 'I will show respect to my elders' enough times to cover and eighteen inch piece of parchment. And it had to be neat. I wanted to hex her so bad but I think something better can be thought of. We'll get Fred and George in on it."

"Sounds good to me. Now, what are we going to do with your hands?"

"Dobby!" Hermione called.

Dobby appeared with a soft pop. "Dobby is being needed?"

"Yes, Ginny needs something to soothe her hands. Can you get her something without alerting anyone?"

"Dobby is being back before yous know it." Pop.

A minute later, pop. "Here it is, Mrs. Ginny. Anything else?"

"No, thanks, Dobby."

Pop.

Hermione placed the bowl of yellow goo on the table. "Here, let me see your hands and we'll spread this essence of Murtlap on them. It'll help take away the pain and soothe the rawness."

"I'll do it."

Harry pulled Ginny to the couch and forced her to sit. Grabbing the bowl, he began to gingerly cover Ginny's palms with a thin layer of goo. Without speaking, he gathered his school stuff, picked up her bag, and led Ginny through the doorway that led to the dorm stairs.

Entering their room, he tossed their bags on the floor, pulled her into their bedroom, and began searching for a night gown. Choosing one, he pulled it out and lay it on the bed. To make her feel better, he removed his glasses so he wouldn't be able to see much of anything. He gently removed her clothes, pulled the gown over her head. He, then, pulled down the covers on the bed and waited for her to get in. When she was settled, he pulled the covers back up, picked up his glasses and made his way to the dresser. Pulling out his own clothes, he walked to his side of the bed, lay down his glasses, waved his wand to extinguish the lights, and dressed for bed. Climging in next to Ginny, he wrapped her in his arms and held her until she fell asleep before allowing himself to drift off, his mind conjuring all kinds of things he'd like to do to that professor.














Reviews 245
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear