Search:

SIYE Time:8:45 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Darkness Rising
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, James Potter, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Other
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 245
Summary: ON HIATUS FOR NOW. Sequel to Innocence Lost. Read that one first. Harry's fifth year. More surprises are in store for Harry and company. Harry has to learn how to handle an evil teacher, an evil wizard who wants him dead. He finds the answers to why he and Ginny can practically feel the others' emotions. Oh, and Harry's parents are alive? He has a sister?
Hitcount: Story Total: 108043; Chapter Total: 4400





Author's Notes:
It spans only one day, sorry. Lots of humor. More action promised next.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 23



"So, how did it go?" asked a very impatient Harry, taking his Cloak back quickly and hiding it.

The usual group was sitting in the Great Hall enjoying breakfast. Harry picked at his food, unable to eat until he'd heard every detail from his cousin.

"Oh, it was wicked. That foul thing stunk up the room like you wouldn't believe. I almost wish I could be there to see her face. Almost."

"No troubles, then, I take it," stated Ginny.

Dudley turned to his cousin's girlfr--wife. One of these days, I'll get used to that, I hope. I can definitely see how Harry fell for her. That gleam in her eyes and that smile, she simply shines. Pulling his thoughts away from that dangerous territory, he took a drink before replying.

"Nope. Doors were unlocked just as Harry predicted."

He glanced around at the others. Hermione had her nose in a book. Ron was still stuffing his face. Neville and Cherish were splitting their attention between each other and the conversation he was having with Harry.

"I don't know which was worse. That Crumpled-Horned thing or those little Bundi-what's-its." Dudley mock-gagged. "One of your air cleaning charms would have been nice." His face turned serious. "I appreciate you letting me do that, Harry. You didn't have to, after everything I've done to you."

Harry felt Ginny's hand run along his thigh, soothingly. "You're welcome, Dudders." Harry snickered at the eye roll and sigh he received for using that nickname. "It says a lot that you wanted to be involved, especially after everything."

"You know," Cherish began somewhat absently, "I don't think I've ever looked forward to and dreaded attending the same class at the same moment."

A flutter of wings marked the arrival of the post. Owls flew in a carefully orchestrated chaos and reached their designated parties, unharmed. Hedwig landed gracefully in front of Harry, held out her leg with the note then watched the other owl deliveries with what one would have sworn was disdain at any sloppiness. After a bite of sausage, she took off.

Harry glanced at Ginny before opening the note.

Harry,

Back when you were sick, that last time, I made a promise to you. I know you didn't hear it but I've been remiss in following through. Well, not anymore. Moony's old place, after supper, bring Cloak. Ginny's welcome to come along.

Sirius


"Who's the note from, Harry?" Hermione, ever inquisitive, asked.

"Sirius. Ginny and I will be busy after supper. We'll catch you up after."

Hermione looked as if she wasn't sure she should be upset at the missed study opportunity or happy for Harry to be spending time with Sirius. Harry wasn't sure if he was going to tell her everything that happened in the upcoming meeting, didn't know if he could. He really wanted to avoid any lectures but hated keeping secrets.

Cherish broke into his reverie. "Well, guess I'd better head to class. I'll tell you all about Defense class at lunch."

Neville bid everyone good-bye and the two headed out, walking as close as Tort's hex would allow. Harry watched them go and wondered how close the two of them actually were. It wasn't until he felt a soft hand on his shoulder that he came back to the moment. He looked up into Ginny's eyes.

"Harry, you don't have anything to worry about. You know that."

"I know. I'm just wondering is all. I mean, she's thirteen. She's way too young to be getting serious about anyone."

Ginny merely raised an eyebrow and tilted her head, arms folded across her chest. Her look clearly stated 'Hello? Remember us? I was thirteen last year.'

Harry got the message loud and clear and began backpedaling. "We're different."

"How?" Her tone of voice clearly said 'this ought to be good'.

"Well, uh," Harry stuttered, thinking desperately, "for one, there's only a year between us."

Harry smiled, proud for coming up with that so quickly, until he realized Ginny didn't seem that impressed. After he thought about it, neither was he. It didn't address his 'only thirteen' comment. Harry racked his brain for something, anything, to say before he had an upset redhead on his hands.

"Uh, I, um, I love you and I'm sorry?"

Ginny stared at a very apprehensive Harry. She fought hard to keep her expression one of slight anger and to hold onto that emotion when she really just wanted to laugh. Harry was just so adorable when he was like that. Apologizing for nothing and saying he loved her, hoping it would absolve him of an unknown wrong. Finally, she couldn't hold it in any longer and allowed it to come rushing out.

"I'm sorry, Harry," she said between laughs, "I just couldn't help it. It was just too good an opportunity to pass up."

Harry stared at her, the corners of his mouth tipping upward. His heart double thumped and his stomach swooped again. He still had a hard time believing she was his. Harry took it all in; the merriment in her honey colored eyes. The sun dancing in her hair, setting it aflame. Her glowing alabaster skin, liberally dotted with freckles. He took it all in and felt his heart beat even faster and the swoop in his stomach became more pronounced.

Ginny stopped laughing at the look in his eyes. Suddenly bombarded with the feelings that went hand in hand with that look, she gasped. She stared into those emerald orbs and could feel herself slipping into them. Desperately wishing they could disappear, she sighed. Once again in some semblance of control, she leaned forward.

Their lips had barely touched when a sudden bang and a disgusted call brought them out of the haze they were in.

"Oi!" Ron cried, his hand slapping the table top. "Would you two stop that? Harry, let's get to class so we can be sure and sit in the back."

"Right," Harry responded, a bit dazed. He turned back to Ginny. "See you at lunch."

Quickly and to Ron's disgust, he leaned over and gave Ginny a chaste kiss. A jerk of his arm separated them. Harry stared at Ron, hard.

"We're going to be late. You can do that later." Ron shuddered at the thought. "Preferably not anywhere close to me."

++++

History of Magic went as usual, with Harry and Ron falling asleep. It was Potions that was a trial more than just from Snape's comments. As soon as the trio stepped into the dungeon room, Harry knew he was going to have a problem. Thankfully, his, Hermione's and Ron's table was next to the door in case he needed to leave quickly. Ron glanced at Harry in question, but Harry shook his head.

Snape swooped in and slammed the door behind them. Striding to the front of the class, he flicked his wand toward the blackboard and turned to face the students but stared straight at Harry with the slightest of sneers on his face.

"This morning, as you all can likely tell, we will be using witch hazel. In fact, we'll be using it for the foreseeable future. It's an extraordinary plant that has numerous uses, both internally and externally. We will be starting with a solution to help heal bruises. Follow the directions on the blackboard and please do try to finish. We will be giving the solutions to Madame Pomfrey to use."

Harry stared the Potions master down before turning to retrieve the necessary ingredients. As everyone began handling the sprigs that were laid out, the air became permeated with the scent that sent his nose into fits. He could already feel his nose tingling. Harry closed his eyes and inhaled, desperately fighting that tingle, knowing once he started he wouldn't likely stop at once or twice. Block it out. Block it out. You can do it. You have to do it. Finally, the tingle began to fade and Harry picked up his own bit of witch hazel and began chopping.

Harry found he was okay with chopping and measuring out what was needed. It was constantly having to stick his head over his cauldron to keep an eye on the solution that bothered him. Each time he did it, the tickle would return, a little stronger than the last. His eyes began to water with the effort of fighting off that tickle.

"Psst! Potter," whispered one of Malfoy's old pals, "you're not crying, are you? Is this too difficult for Baby Potter?"

Snickers from several Slytherins met that remark. Harry just ignored it. A few other comments were hurled in his direction but, when Harry failed to react, the taunters turned back to their work.

Hermione and Ron glared at the 'Snakes' before focusing on Harry. It was obvious he was having a hard time of it. Teeth clenched tightly, he stirred with one hand and periodically rubbed the bridge of his nose with the other. Both Ron and Hermione knew he had to concentrate so they left him to it.

With five minutes left of class, Harry's potion was finished and his willpower nearly was. Lightning quick, he bottled a sample, turned it in, made sure he got credit for handing it in then threw his supplies into his rucksack.

"Go, Harry," Hermione whispered, "We'll finish cleaning up for you."

Harry couldn't do more than nod. His nose wasn't going to be denied the chance to dislodge its irritants any longer. Leaving his bag, he bolted through the door. All of three steps later, he let loose a volley of sneezes. Knowing he wasn't getting off the hook that easily, he holed up in the first empty classroom he came to. Sure enough, six more sneezes escaped, a two second pause then five more were let loose. The pattern continued for the entire five minutes. The only variant being the number of sneezes each time.

One final explosive hurrah, and his nose was silent. He slid down one wall to the floor, sniffling, blowing his nose and wiping the tears from his eyes. Groaning, he lifted one knee to prop his elbow on it, his fingers kneading his forehead. All the sneezing had given him a headache. That's how Ron and Hermione found him.

"Harry? You okay?"

Harry glanced up at Hermione and gave her a weak smile.

"I will be. Just give me a second."

"Snape had to know how you'd react to that stuff," Ron started in.

"Oh, come on, Ronald, who's to say that wasn't on the agenda anyway?"

"Did you not see the smirk he had on his face? He was staring right at Harry, daring him to say something."

"When does Professor Snape not have a smirk when staring at Harry?"

Harry, eyes closed and trying to will his headache away, agreed. "She's got you, there." Tired of hearing them bicker, he stood up. "Come on, let's get some lunch."

Ginny met them at the top of the stairs. Just seeing her there, waiting for him, eased the ache somewhat. Wrapping her in his arms, he rested his head on her shoulder for a second before turning toward the Great Hall.

Ginny knew something was up. For one, they were later than usual coming up the stairs. Two, Harry appeared weary. When he rested his head on her shoulder, she rubbed his back with one hand and her other ran through his hair. She felt him give a little shudder then pull away.

After filling their plates, Ginny decided nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"So what happened in Potions, other than the usual Snape stuff?"

Harry gave his forehead another quick rub then answered. "We're working with witch hazel for at least the next few classes."

"Oh."

Ginny ran her free hand along Harry's back, rubbed his shoulder and then into his hair to massage his scalp. His head dropped and she worked on his neck for a few seconds. Obviously, things didn't go well or Harry wouldn't have been in this state. She decided not to ask for details; Harry would tell her what he wanted her to know. Her quiet support paid off.

"I made it through class. Well, at least until the potion was finished. I managed to hand in a sample and get my supplies put away before I had to leave."

"That's good, Harry. I'm proud of you."

"Yeah, well, the drawback was that I couldn't stop sneezing for five whole minutes and now my head hurts. All Voldemort has to do to defeat me is wave witch hazel blossoms in my face."

Ginny pouted. "My poor Harry."

She looked around at the various foods being offered for lunch. Making a quick decision, she grabbed two serviettes and began fixings for four sandwiches. Those finished, she grabbed two apples. Carefully balancing the food, she grabbed Harry's hand and pulled him away from the table.

"Harry will see you in class."

Harry gave his friends a shrug and wave then allowed himself to be pulled out of the Great Hall. He had no idea what she had in mind but was content to just go along with it. They reached the Gryffindor common room but Ginny didn't stop. Once inside their rooms, she stopped long enough to set their food on the little table in front of their couch.

"Come here, luv," she said gently. "Let's see if I can take care of that headache."

++++

Harry just barely beat the bell for the next class period to begin, even though the Divination classroom wasn't that far away. As it was, his shirt was only halfway tucked in, his tie was crooked and loose, his hair was messier than usual and he was still finishing off his apple. His demeanor, though, had turned a complete 180 degrees from lunch time. His eyes sparkled and he was quick with a smile.

"You look like you're feeling better, mate."

"Thanks, Ron. I feel loads better."

"What did Ginny do? The next time I have a headache, I want the same treatment."

Harry snickered as he pictured Ginny's reaction to that statement. Calming himself, he cleared his throat and smugly spoke two words.

"Broom maintenance."

Ron scowled in confusion. Harry watched as his friend's eyes unfocused, no doubt trying to figure out what that meant. There wasn't time for him to dwell on it for Trelawney chose that moment to make her appearance.

++++

Harry's good mood carried him through the foretellings of his impending doom and right to Defense class. It wasn't difficult when he'd spent the better part of the time reliving his lunch hour. Every time Ron had asked what Ginny had done to change his mood so much, all Harry would say was 'broom maintenance'. She'd taken complete control and it had been one of the best hours Harry could remember.

Having just turned into the hallway to their Defense classroom, Harry gagged, his hand automatically covering his nose and mouth. Behind his hand, he grinned. This will be good. Halfway down the corridor, Ron began to gag but he, too, grinned. They met up with Hermione, already there.

Tort ushered the rather large crowd gathered around into her classroom. She noticed Harry, Ron, and Hermione and glared. When the they had chosen their seats, she headed for the front and made the same announcement she'd made to each of her classes.

"Over the weekend, someone came in and defiled our classroom and my office with something. As you can tell, it was something rather foul."

Tort stared at Harry and a very Snape-like expression came over her face, that cross between smug and disdain. She continued her little speech, all the while watching for Harry's reaction.

"Little did that person know that I suspected something was going to happen and put up a revealing charm. Let's take a look shall we?"

I've been waiting for this moment. You're in trouble now, Mr. Potter, and I'll be able to send you packing. Tort took out a ten inch tall obelisk made of obsidian. She tapped her wand around the flat base in a complicated pattern. Eyes flicked from student to student. Landing on Harry, they stopped.

"Reveal!" she commanded.

A fine mist sprayed from the tip of the obelisk. Captured in the mist was a picture of inside the classroom. The class watched as the door opened but no one was there. Out of no where, a pair of hands appeared with a caged creature, the likes of which most had never seen before. Exclamations of confusion and disgust at its appearance zoomed through the assembled students. The hands carefully lifted the creature out and set it on the floor. For a time, the animal ran around as if being chased. Finally, it was retrieved, returned to its cage and set by the door. Nothing happened for several minutes. The hands reappeared, lifted the cage and made it disappear, opened and shut the door. The mist dissipated.

Harry had been a little on edge. When Tort had said something about that revealing charm, he thought there was a good possibility Dudley had been caught. If so, Harry was prepared to take the blame. He'd instigated the whole thing, after all. Dudley just happened to volunteer to do it. However, when he saw that his Cloak had not betrayed him, he turned a smug smile to Tort.

For her part, Tort was livid. How could it not work? I did everything exactly as I was supposed to do it. Her eyes narrowed dangerously at Harry. Look at him, sitting there all smug. Thinks he's the greatest thing to happen to the wizarding world. Well Uncle Cornelius doesn't believe it and neither do I. Some time, some way, I'll take him down a notch or two. Ugh, this room STINKS!

"Since our class has been contaminated, read the next chapter for our next test. Dismissed."

Everyone jumped up and literally ran for the door. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were the last to head that way. He stopped when he heard Tort screech his name.

"POTTER!" She stormed up to him, finger waving in his face, blue eyes flashing. "I know you had something to do with this."

"Prove it."

"Believe me, when I catch you, and I will, you'll be wishing you'd never been BORN!"

Harry stared, unmoved, at the woman before him. Tilting his head, he rubbed his hand across his chin, making sure his bracelet was visible, and appeared to be thinking that over. Then he straightened up and spoke in an unconcerned tone of voice.

"You know, My Uncle Vernon has been telling me that pretty much my entire life so excuse me for not feeling intimidated coming from you."

Harry turned his back and started for the door again, Ron and Hermione in front of him. The faintest sound of something being swung through the air alerted him. Jerking to a stop, he steadied his heart rate and breathing and spoke again.

"I wouldn't if I were you. My back's turned. How would that look?"

At Harry's words, Ron and Hermione turned back to see what Harry was talking about. Hermione let out a gasp, while Ron just stared with eyes as wide as saucers. Harry hadn't taken more than a couple steps before he'd been stopped. Tort stood a little further away with her wand trained on Harry's back. Her hand shook with barely suppressed rage and her eyes glinted with a touch of insanity. Then suddenly her hand was lowering and her eyes were normal.

"Get out, Potter. Don't ever let me catch you out of bounds."

The trio headed up to Gryffindor tower to do some homework. All the while, Ron went on and on about how barmy their Defense teacher was.

"So when are you going to start HEDGE back up, Harry?"

"As much as it pains me to say this, Harry, no one's going to learn anything in Defense class. The students really need you, now more than ever."

"I guess, it depends on what Sirius wants. I'll let you know what I decide."

The first thing Ron did upon sitting down to supper was ask Ginny the same question he'd been asking Harry. He loaded his plate but waited before eating. He really wanted an answer and he was going to get it. Not even his mum had a headache cure that effective.

"Ginny, what did you do for Harry at lunch? He barely made it to class but he was so relaxed. Not even Mum's cures are so effective."

Ginny had been drinking some juice when Ron asked his question. Unable to help it, she laughed then choked. Harry patted her back as she cleared her air passages. Able to breathe again, her eyes met his, secretive smiles on their faces. Ginny reached for her juice and took another drink. Unfortunately, Ron chose that moment to ask his next question.

"I only ask because I was wondering if you'd do that for me when I get a headache."

The shower that comment created sprayed Hermione before it could be stopped. Laughing uproariously, at both Hermione's disgust at being drenched and Ron's utter daftness, she was unable to answer.

"I keep telling you, Ron," Harry said, again. "Broom maintenance."

"Oh, come on, mate, you can't possibly expect me to believe that inspecting your broom brought about that much of a change."

"Well, you know, Ron," Ginny choked out, "broom inspection is the only way to know if it's working properly. Keeping a broom working properly keeps a rider happy."

"Yeah, but what--,"

Hermione had been listening to the conversation and noticed the mischief in Harry's and Ginny's eyes, not to mention the rosy blush in their faces. Catching on quickly to what the couple truly meant, she rolled her eyes at Ron and sighed. Did he really not get it? It's as plain as day!

"Think about it, Ron," she snapped. "How did Harry look when he showed up for class?"

"I told you, relaxed and smiling."

"Noooo," Hermione drew out the word. "How did he look? As in his appearance?"

"Well, his clothes were a bit sloppy, which I though a bit odd. His shirt hung out in the front. His tie was barely on, liked he'd put it on hurriedly and didn't bother fixing it. Ginny had taken a little bit of food but Harry was still eating when he came in. I thought that was a bit odd, too. I mean, you had a whole hour. How could you not manage to eat during that time?"

"And you can't think of any reason why Harry might look like that?" Hermione pressed.

For their part, Harry and Ginny were sitting back and just waiting for the light to go on in Ron's head. They knew the look on his face was going to be priceless. When a few minutes went by with a still blank Ron, they decided to eat, knowing they had a meeting with Sirius soon.

Suddenly, a juice shower came Harry's way but Harry managed to dodge it. Glancing up, he looked to his best friend and there it was. The expression of abject horror he'd known was coming as the true meaning sank in, not to mention Ron asking his sister for the same treatment.

With as straight a face as he could manage, Harry asked, "Caught on, have you? Took long enough."

Then he busted out laughing until he was red in the face. Hermione and Ginny laughed at Ron's expression. After a few minutes, Harry managed to gain some control and tried to eat, a laugh or two still escaping. Then Ginny had to go and make her comment, sending him into fits, holding his sides, eyes watering.

"And no, Ron, I don't think I'll do that for you. You might ask Hermione, though. She might be willing."

Neither Ron's nor Hermione's faces had ever turned redder. Both glared at Ginny before patently ignoring each other. Ron grumbled and stuffed his face. Hermione seemed to find her supper captivating.

Deciding now was as good a time as any, Harry and Ginny left the table and headed for the Whomping Willow, stopping along the way to throw on Harry's Cloak and to make sure they weren't being followed.

One last look around and Harry immobilized the tree. Ducking under the frozen limbs, they slipped and slid down an entrance to a tunnel that lead to Hogsmeade, the Shrieking Shack. Harry brushed himself off and helped Ginny clean herself off, pulling leaves out of her hair. Shivering from the cold, Harry waved his wand, casting a warming charm on them.

Following the twisting tunnel, they debated what it was Sirius wanted with them. After what felt like an interminably long time, the ladder and trapdoor came into sight. Shuffling feet paced overhead. Harry recognized the rhythm of the steps. He lifted a finger a finger to his lips and soundlessly climbed the ladder. Raising the trapdoor a minuscule amount, he waited until the booted feet walked away from him then cast a quick spell.

Suddenly, the legs turned boneless and wouldn't support weight any longer. Sirius collapsed and tried to roll so he could face his assailant but Harry was already through the little door, his wand out and laughing.

"Constant vigilance, Sirius."

Harry turned to assist Ginny the rest of the way through and had just turned back when a spell hit him. He felt his ears grow into long points and his front teeth elongated. What happened next he found a bit embarrassing. A donkey tail split the seam of Harry's jeans.

Ginny took one look at Harry and snickered. She turned to Sirius and praised his effort.

"Nice ass, Sirius." She turned back to Harry. "You were saying?"

Sirius and Harry shared a look. In the next instant, two spells barreled toward her. Unlike the guys, however, she'd been prepared and dispatched them with a shield spell. She outright laughed at their expressions.

"You'll have to do better than that to get the drop on this Weasley. I grew up with the twins, remember?"

Conceding her point, Sirius and Harry canceled their jinxes and hugs were given all around before sitting in some conjured chairs.

"Okay, I'm sure you're wondering why I asked to meet with you." At the pair's nods, Sirius explained about the promise he'd made about teaching Harry and Ginny, if she wanted, to become an animagus.

"You want to what? Really?"

Harry turned a beaming smile to Ginny and saw she was just as surprised but happy as he. A thought occurred to him that dimmed his enthusiasm some.

"Does Dad know?"

"Uh, well, um, no. Think of it as a surprise when you can transform in front of him."

Harry and Ginny agreed to take the potion to reveal their animagus forms. They clinked vials and downed the bitter liquid. Lying side by side, hands clasped together, they fell into a deep trance.

Harry walked stalked across a savannah, golden grass concealing him from his prey. His muscles bunched as he prepared to pounce. His prey sensed he was there and ran. Harry followed with a burst of speed that startled him. It was almost like flying as fast as his Firebolt would take him. His prey darted off in another direction attempting to shake him but Harry stayed with it, making the change of direction easily, instinctively using his long tail to keep his balance.

Much sooner than he'd expected, he began to tire and gave up the chase. That went too quickly. I couldn't have been running for long, a handful of seconds, a minute, tops. Panting heavily from the sprint, he flopped down into the grass and, for the first time, got a good look at his form. What he saw confused him. Whoa! What in the bloody hell is going on? Why am I black when I'm in a sea of golden grass? Don't I need to blend in?

Harry studied his paws and found his claws weren't completely hidden. He could expose them completely but when he relaxed, they wouldn't retract into his skin. Studying his body, he noticed barely visible spots in his short, dense coat. The fur on his underside was faded to a light slate gray in color. His tail was as long as his body and then a little more.

A rustling in the grass nearby alerted him to another's presence. A high pitched chirp sounded and he instinctively headed in that direction, knowing the owner was friendly. He wasn't prepared to come face to face so abruptly and, startled, let out a bleating 'meow' like sound. The owner of the chirping was a cheetah, but not just any cheetah. This one was a light tawny color, almost cream. Its spots were a pale red-brown instead of black. Tiny red-brown spots dotted its 'cheeks' and honey brown eyes stared, transfixed, at him.

A high-pitched staccato stuttering filled the air and Harry was taken aback to realize it was coming from him. He inhaled and his nostrils were filled with a scent he would forever remember. Purring with every inhaled breath, he jumped on the feline before him and playfully wrestled her to the ground. He looked into those brown eyes as things faded away.

The next thing Harry knew, he was awake with Sirius studiously watching over him and Ginny. He turned to see Ginny also just rousing.

"Well, what's the word?" Sirius asked, impatient and yet excited.

Harry and Ginny turned to each other and pulled a Fred and George, answering at the same time.

"I think he's a cheetah," Ginny said, "But I don't know for sure about me."

"I think she's a cheetah," Harry said, at the same moment, "But I'm confused on mine."

They looked at each other and grinned. Sirius' question brought back their attention to him.

"How can you not know what your form is?"

Harry answered first. "Well, I was in some tall golden colored grass. The sun beat down on my back making me feel really hot." He turned to Ginny. "I can't be a cheetah. They're not black, just have black spots."

"Sure looked like one to me," Ginny replied.

"Wait a minute. You were black in color?"

Ginny nodded answering for Harry. "You could just make out the spots in his fur if you were close enough. His underside was a gray color."

"But there aren't any black cheetahs," Harry insisted.

"Did you notice anything else about your form, Harry?" Sirius broke in.

"Well, I could run really fast but couldn't hold it for very long. I was chasing some animal and it turned abruptly. I was able to follow it and stay close. It was like trying to catch a snitch and having it change direction on me."

Sirius conjured a photograph and showed it to Ginny.

"That's what I saw, only he was black and his eyes were the same green shade as now. He also had a bit of extra hair on his neck that stuck up."

Harry sighed at that tidbit. Great. Even in animal form I can't get away from my hair. He watched as Sirius made the changes to the picture Ginny mentioned.

"That's Harry," Ginny said definitively when Sirius had finished.

Harry looked at it and was stunned. The animal had the body shape of a cheetah, that was obvious. The color kept throwing him off. He couldn't wrap his mind around the idea of a black cheetah.

"What about your form, Ginny?" Sirius asked.

"She was definitely a cheetah except her coat was such a light color it was almost cream. Her spots were a reddish brown. She had these cute little tiny spots on her 'cheeks' and they were the same color as her others. She had a streak that ran from the corner of each eye like tears but the color was the same red-brown. Her eyes were her normal color, too."

Sirius made the requisite changes and showed the photo to Harry.

"That's it. That's exactly what Ginny looked like."

Ginny looked at the picture and shook her head, bewildered. "Is it even possible? I mean, I didn't think cheetahs came in any colors other than the usual."

"Of course it's possible or you wouldn't have those colorings. It's just not common to take on an animal's rare variations. Then again, look who I'm talking to. Neither of you can be considered common."

Noticing the somewhat disappointed look on Harry's face, Sirius questioned the boy but Harry refused to talk. Deciding to get on with it, he continued the discussion of transformation.

"First of all, making the transformation is all about controlling your magic. Since you've practiced that with Albus during the summer, you shouldn't have any trouble with it. You have to will it to change you. We'll start out with a hand and go from there. Sit and get comfortable."

Sirius waited and then continued. "Concentrate on how it felt to have a paw, how the ground felt, your claws fully extending, and the fur. Concentrate on how it looked as well. When you have it in your mind, every exact detail, gather your magic into your hand and force it change."

Their hands sprouted a tuft of fur several minutes later but that was it. Sirius glanced at his watch and called a halt to the evening.

"You need to get back. Practice when you're alone but DO NOT go further until I'm with you. I'll warn you now, though. Sometimes, when you're close to making the whole change, you can flash between forms, unexpectedly."

At their looks of confusion, Sirius elaborated. "Just what it means. For a split second, you'll become your animal form. You'll return to being human so fast, no one will know but you. Well, maybe each of you will be able to see the other, I'm not sure. If you happen to notice that, contact Minerva. I say that only because it'll take too long to get an owl to me and for me to get there. The animal will force its way out and it's better to be in the company of someone who can help you stay in control the first time. After the initial change, it won't happen again. You'll have complete control."

The three said their good-byes with Sirius stating he'd be back the same time next week. Harry and Ginny made it back to Gryffindor tower without being seen. Slipping inside the common room, they were glad Ron and Hermione were out doing Prefect rounds. The two slipped into their rooms and continued working on the transformation before going to bed.








Reviews 245
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear