Search:

SIYE Time:11:05 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


I'll Be There For You
By Kezzabear

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Buried Gems
Characters:All
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 311
Summary: When your life's a little bit ... sucky, you can count on your friends. Well, most of them anyway ... well, some of them at least ... maybe just one.
Hitcount: Story Total: 80266; Chapter Total: 9585





Author's Notes:
This is the chapter that started this whole thing in my head ... ENJOY! goingbacktosquareone did a beta job ... I'm pretty sure ... she doesn't let me post anything unless it's approved by her so ... she must have *scratches head* I can't remember ...

Let's just thank her anyway ...




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry Potter watched Ginny Weasley with amusement. The intense look of concentration on her face might have fooled most of the wedding guests, but not her best friend. It looked as if she was not scratching at her leg under her voluminous petticoats. It looked as if she was not tilting her head to try and find an angle that didn’t make the mass of curls on her head lean precariously across one eye. It looked as if she was misty eyed at her brother’s nuptials, not trying to avoid sneezing all over her bouquet.

She looked the picture of rapt attention; standing sweetly in line with Audrey’s five other bridesmaids in their rainbow of pastel-coloured dresses. Only Harry saw the set of her clenched jaw and the way her nose wrinkled just a little bit as Audrey repeated her vows. Harry laughed silently to himself as Ginny’s slender neck twitched just a little as one of the pale pink ruffles on her shoulders flopped onto exposed skin. The officiator was about to pronounce Percy and Audrey bonded for life, if Ginny could hold out for just a few more minutes …

Molly groaned audibly as Ginny suddenly scowled and brushed impatiently at the sequinned headdress that fell over her forehead. Luckily no one else saw, too enthralled were they with the respectful peck Percy and Audrey were sharing. George let out a noisy whoop that had Percy glaring in his direction and George grinning back, unrepentant. Fleur noisily burst into tears, sniffling all over her silk-swathed swollen belly. Audrey’s father beamed proudly as his daughter started down the aisle on the arm of her new husband, trailed by her parade of bridesmaids.

Ginny eyed Harry grimly as she took Teddy’s little hand from Andromeda’s grasp and began slowly inching down the aisle, coaxing the toddler along. Harry tried to hide his smirk, failing dismally. He knew he’d pay for that later. He was, however, entirely unable to keep a straight face as Ginny wrestled the dainty white pillow from Teddy’s little fingers and tried to distract him from the tiny beads sewn onto the lowermost ruffles of her skirt.

It was a lost cause and Ginny eventually abandoned her flowers and the pillow on the nearest pew and picked Teddy up so they could follow the rest of the wedding party outside the church. As soon as he felt her lift him, Teddy suddenly dropped his weight in the way that toddlers do when they don’t want to be picked up and screwed his face up in preparation to howl. Ginny staggered, catching the hem of her ruffled pink dress and stumbling forward. She righted herself just in time and pulled a face at Teddy. The little boy grinned suddenly and reached up to pat her cheek and everyone sighed at the touching scene.

Ginny looked over at Harry, her eyes a silent plea but Harry just laughed as her face fell when she realised Teddy had thrust his hand down the front of her beaded bodice and squealed loudly. Ginny increased her pace as she pulled the offending hand out of her foundation garments, making her way out into the Easter sunshine.

“He’s been a handful the entire ceremony,” Andromeda sighed as she joined Harry when the guests filed their way out of the church. “I’m exhausted. I have no idea what possessed that girl to ask a two-year-old to carry the rings. Now I have to wrestle him through all the photos as well.”

“I’ll do that if you like,” Harry said. “You go to the reception and put your feet up. We’ll meet you there.” Andromeda smiled gratefully and thrust Teddy’s bag towards him without hesitation. Gathering up Ginny’s bouquet and the dainty ring pillow, Harry ambled slowly out to the wedding party to find Ginny pleading with Teddy to stand still at the front of the picture while a bored-looking photographer clicked his tongue impatiently.

“Can’t you change his hair to something other than this horrible turquoise?” Audrey asked fretfully. “It clashes.” Ginny growled at her sister-in-law, her face as red as her hair, clashing horribly with her pink ruffles as she tried to get Teddy to stand still.

“Here, let me,” Harry said, dropping Teddy’s bag off to the side and thrusting Ginny’s flowers at her. Harry crouched down in front of his godson. Ginny straightened up gratefully and shuffled to her place in the line up.

“Harwee!” Teddy squealed excitedly, bouncing on his toes. His hair immediately went jet black and he clapped his hands in glee.

“Okay kid,” Harry said, laughing. “I want you to stand perfectly still, all right? We’re going to play statues.”

“Yay!” cheered the two year old.

“Absolutely still now,” Harry said backing away and standing next to the photographer. Teddy stood ramrod straight, a bright smile plastered on his face while Harry gave him a thumbs up. It lasted for three photos before Teddy, distracted by a passing duck, wandered off.

“Thank you, Harry,” Percy said stiffly. Harry shrugged a shoulder inelegantly and hurried after his godson.

Harry kept one eye on Teddy as he began chasing the birds and one eye on Ginny as she kept a fake smile plastered to her face, posing for photo after photo. He laughed as Ginny repeatedly crossed her eyes at the back of Percy’s head whenever he and his new wife posed awkwardly for portraits.

“They look like they have pokers shoved up their bums,” Ginny muttered as soon as she was able to get away from the wedding party. The photographer was taking photos of each bridesmaid with their partner, and as Ginny’s partner was technically Teddy, she wasn’t required for the moment.

“You don’t,” Harry said, summoning Teddy back from the edge of the duck pond.

“I should hope not,” Ginny huffed.

“You look like you’re wearing starchy petticoats made of wire,” Harry said with a smirk.

“I think I am,” Ginny whispered just before the photographer summoned her imperiously.

Ginny posed for her individual portrait shots, looking much more angelic than Harry knew she was feeling and then the photographer wanted Teddy. Harry picked up the little boy and surreptitiously cleaned his trousers of the mud that caked the hems before handing him to Ginny. Teddy immediately began picking at the sparkly beading on her bodice and Ginny batted his hands away impatiently. She glared at Harry when he laughed.

“It’s all right for you, Potter,” she hissed. “Your date to this thing isn’t a pint sized, breast-obsessed bloke less than half your age.”

“No, mine ditched me the day before the event when she realised it was the wedding of an ex-girlfriend!” Harry said, pulling Teddy’s wandering hands away from Ginny’s dangly earrings.

“Do you suppose Percy knows Audrey bats for both teams?” Ginny wondered aloud as Teddy squirmed to get down.

“I hope not,” Harry said, taking Teddy as he reached out for him. “Think how much fun it will be when he finds out!” Ginny sniggered.

“Excuse me, I need to take your photograph!” the photographer called shrilly, his hands on his hips.

“I think he bats for the boy’s team,” Ginny said out of the corner of her mouth.

Harry convinced Teddy to stand near enough to Ginny to satisfy the photographer and the photographer took two shots before George distracted the toddler with something shiny. Ginny slumped onto a nearby stone seat while the photographer hurried off to round up the parents of the bride and groom. Harry perched next to her, warily watching George with Teddy. Audrey frowned at Ginny as she hitched her skirts up and kicked her shoes off, wriggling her toes.

“it’s a … nice dress,” Harry said hesitantly.

“Oh Merlin’s saggy underpants!” exclaimed Ginny looking at him in horror. “This is almost an exact replica of the bridesmaid’s dress I wore for Cousin Winifred’s wedding when I was four! If you think this is a nice dress, Potter, it’s no wonder you’ve not had a date in six months!”

“It’s a sight better than your eight,” retorted Harry.

“If your last date was Hugh Pfitner you wouldn’t think eight months was too long!”

“He was a bit …”

“Don’t say it,” Ginny commanded holding up her hand.

“Ginny!” Audrey called shrilly as she bustled over to them. “Do you need to use the … facilities before we head off to the reception?”

“I’m fine, thanks,’ Ginny replied with a sickening smile and Audrey nodded briefly and hurried away.

“Do you get the feeling she’s treating you like …”

“A child?” Ginny asked, nodding. “I feel like I’m stuck behind some sort of huge …”

“Semi-trailer,” supplied Harry. Ginny raised an eyebrow. “Oh, um … big lorry, like a really, really, really big car.” Ginny nodded.

“Yeah, that is exactly what it is like,” she said. “Everyone else is on the Hogwarts Express — one way ticket to life, and I am sort of puttering along behind them unable to gather enough speed to join in. It really doesn’t help when you’re paired with the ring-bearer. Did you know she wanted me to scatter petals behind Teddy?” Harry sniggered. Ginny shoved his shoulder.

“Shut up.”

“Does she think you’re three?”

“I think so,” Ginny said gravely. “I bet she sat me at the kiddie table.”

“I bet she sat me with six single women,” Harry frowned. “I’d really rather just sit with Ron and Hermione.”

“I’ll save you a seat at the kiddie table,” Ginny said wryly. “Audrey said I was welcome to invite someone, but honestly what bloke wants to come to a wedding to sit alone while their frou-frou date tries not to trip over her ruffles and then have to fight a two-year-old for access to her …” Ginny trailed off, waving vaguely at her beaded chest. Harry laughed.

“I’m shocked Miss Weasley,” he said, “that you would allow such forward behaviour!”

“Oh you are not,” Ginny complained. “You were there last week when I dared Neville.”

“He looked scared,” Harry commented.

“He was.”

The two of them sat idly in the sunshine until Ginny was hustled away to ride in a gaudy pink carriage festooned with pink ribbons and wrapped in lace. She grimaced as the other bridesmaids were handed into their waiting carriages by their partners and she scrambled up into hers, barely turning around in time for Harry to thrust Teddy at her.

“I’ll see you at the reception,” Harry called gaily as he shut the door of the carriage. Teddy jumped excitedly on Ginny’s lap and she frowned at the streaks of mud he left there but then shrugged.

“Absolutely,” Ginny called as she leant out of the window. “You better save me a dance, Potter. I don’t want to be stuck at the kiddie table all night!” Harry smiled as her carriage took off. It was better, he thought, that he hadn’t brought a date after all. He’d have a better time with Ginny, probably. A date was a lot of pressure. There was no pressure with Ginny.

Just friends.
Reviews 311
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear