Search:

SIYE Time:8:54 on 19th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Restless Heart Syndrome
By notadryeeye

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:All
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Sexual Situations
Rating: R
Reviews: 429
Summary: 17 Years have passed since the fall of Voldemort. Just as the world thinks it has finally started to heal and move on, some things thought long lost begin to awaken.
Hitcount: Story Total: 102991; Chapter Total: 5085





Author's Notes:
I got my muse and confidence back these past few weeks, so here it is. It's mainly to set up what you all already know is to come.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“That’s my ballerina Barbie,” Sophie explained a bit unnecessarily as Scarlett picked up the doll that was wearing a tiny leotard with matching pink tutu and tights. “I got her from my Nana and Papa for Christmas.”

“Can I play with her?” Scarlett asked.

“Yup,” Sophie assured her as she picked up another doll for herself. “We can play with them together if you want.”

Scarlett nodded enthusiastically and Harry continued to watch from his spot at the door as the little girls played with one another as they sat cross-legged on Sophie’s bedroom floor. The toy chest, which had previously been neat and organized, had been flung open and its contents were spilling out onto the floor.

Once he’d received the reassurance from Mrs. Weasley that they’d had everything with the meal covered, he’d tried wandering into the living room, turning on the television and flipping through seemingly hundreds of channels without success. Nothing had caught his attention and he couldn’t think of anything else to occupy himself with, so he’d decided to head upstairs and check on Sophie and Scarlett. It had been a little too quiet for a pair of 5-year-olds playing and he had wondered if everything was going alright.

But as he had scaled the stairs and quietly walked towards the doorway, he had come upon an adorable scene of the two girls playing. It seemed Sophie was rather excited to show her guest all of her toys and things in her room, and to Harry’s relief, she seemed willing to share all of them too.

“Hi, Daddy.”

“Hi, Soph,” Harry replied with a smile. Sophie had looked up from her playing, spotting her dad standing in the doorway watching the scene. “Are you girls having fun?” he asked.

“Uh huh,” Sophie replied with a nod. “We’re just playing dolls,” she added matter-of-factly as she brushed out the hair of the doll she was holding.

“And you’re making sure you’re sharing everything with Scarlett?” Harry asked.

Both girls nodded.

“She got a doll house for Christmas too from her grandma and grandpa,” Sophie continued to chatter away. “But she doesn’t call hers Nana or Papa...hers are grandmom--”

“Grandmum and Granddad,” Scarlett corrected her accent clearly discerning her pronunciation of the words from Sophie’s.
“Yeah...how come hers are called something different?” Sophie asked curiously.

“Because Scarlett lives in a different place than you, remember?” Harry replied. “Some of the names for certain things are a bit different.”

“Oh yeah,” Sophie said as if remembering their previous conversation. Harry had felt the need to explain some of the differences that Sophie was bound to notice in the way their guests acted and spoke--most having to do with the cultural difference. Once Ron and Hermione had left after the weekend they had first found him, Sophie had inquired about their accents--asking him why ‘they talked so funny.’

He figured that some of the other things she might witness would possibly be ignored by her little five-year-old imagination or he would be able to explain away most everything else she might question...

“Maybe you two can teach each other some things?” Harry suggested.

“Okay,” Sophie said a little dismissively as she and Scarlett had already turned back to playing with their dolls.

Apparently the little game and scenario they were engaged in was more interesting than talking to him, so Harry stood in the doorway watching the scene for only a few more seconds before he quietly stepped back out into the hallway.

It felt very odd to feel so out of place in his own home. As much as he’d wanted to sit amongst the group in the kitchen and catch up, the fact remained that the situation lent itself to more than just an exchange of pleasantries and catch-ups. He’d missed nearly 18 years of life--missed the births and lives of all of the girls downstairs and every other event that had happened in the family since.

There was a part of himself that still felt a part of the Weasley family dynamic--the part that had only recently awakened and was still stuck in the past, trying so hard to catch up and understand who he was now. It was that part of him that seemed to be doing battle against the rest of himself--the bit of himself that had grown up and matured over the last 18 years, turning him into a very different person from the one they all expected.

Aside from the feelings of worry and guilt he felt regarding everything he’d done to change their lives because of the decisions he’d made back then, on another level, this gathering was nearly like meeting them all for the first time. There was awkwardness in the introductions and--while they all seemed to be at ease in his home--Harry felt nervous about having them all here. They all knew things about him--what he’d been doing in terms of career and family--and he knew only what he’d been told by Ron and Hermione about the changing dynamics the family had gone through over the years.

But he hadn’t been there for any of those things and he felt oddly disconnected on some level.

Along with the confusing emotions swirling about his head regarding those already here and the prospect of what might happen when the men and boys all arrived in just a few hours, he was also very aware of who had not arrived with the group of women.

Hermione had advised him that nearly everyone was going to be making the trip over to celebrate Christmas. And it was quite obvious that ‘nearly’ had truly meant not everyone was going to be there. When they’d done introductions downstairs, it had been mentioned that Fleur and Bill’s family would be joining the rest of the group that was still coming later.

But that didn’t account for everybody.

“Are these new?”

Harry looked up at the sound of the voice, unaware that he’d been slowly walking down the hallway as he’d been lost in thought. Hermione was only a few feet away, watching him curiously as she stood admiring a section of wall.

“Yeah...those weren’t here when you guys were here last,” Harry replied as he stopped beside her, glancing at the line of six black and white framed photographs hanging on the wall. “I just got around to putting them up in the past week or so. The prospect of having everyone here sort of kick-started my unpacking and decorating the house.”

“These are yours?” Hermione asked. “You took these?” she clarified as she caught the slight confusion in his expression.

Harry nodded, his own gaze glancing over the portraits. These had been gifts from Maria and Steve when he’d moved here. They had come across several pictures of Sophie he’d taken over the years and had had them professionally matted and framed. They were simple moments of everyday life he’d managed to capture from the time she was only a few months old, until as recently as earlier this year.That was one of the neat things about being a photographer and nearly always having a camera handy--he had plenty of images that helped him record his daughter’s life thus far.

“You really are very talented, Harry,” Hermione said with a smile, causing Harry to blush and return the smile a bit sheepishly. It seemed that since remembered everything, he’d had a lot harder time with people complimented or occasionally fawning over his work. There was a part of him that was strangely embarrassed by that type of praise and attention now. In his younger days he’d have relished in it, sometimes to the point of being slightly cocky about his talent and abilities.

“Perhaps we’ll have to have you do some family photos for us,” Hermione added. “We haven’t had one done since before Scarlett was born.”

“I’d definitely be up to doing something like that for you guys,” Harry replied. “I was kind of hoping I’d be able to get some pictures of everyone while you were all here. Nothing formal--it’s not really what I do--but just to have some pictures of everyone would be nice.”

Hermione nodded her agreement and they fell into a momentary silence.

“She’s working.”

Harry glanced down at Hermione, but remained quiet.

“Ginny’s covering a match in Australia for The Prophet,” Hermione went on.

Harry swallowed heavily and nodded.

Finally someone had come to it.

He’d noticed that she hadn’t come with the others and that Hermione hadn’t mentioned her whereabouts before now. How could he not have? She was the one person he thought about every day and who he was most worried about how things would be when and if they would meet again. He could only guess at how much he’d hurt her with what he’d done and the silence of the other’s regarding Ginny did nothing to help with that worry.

“It didn’t sound like she was going to make the trip,” Hermione added quietly, as though she could sense Harry’s uneasiness about the subject.

“I didn’t expect her to,” Harry sighed out shakily.

“She’s just got a lot to work out,” Hermione admitted.

“I hurt her,” Harry said quietly, shaking her head. “And I can’t expect her to just get over that and forgive me.”

“I know everyone else seems to be embracing the fact that I’m here and that I’m alive,” Harry began again. “Which--in itself--is more than I could have ever expected. But with her it’s--”

“Different,” Hermione supplied in understanding of the thought that he was attempting to articulate.

Harry nodded.

“I’m almost afraid to see her again,” Harry admitted quietly.

“It may take her some time. I’m not quite sure what exactly is going on in her head,” Hermione replied. “But I know you two will talk at some point,” she continued.

There was something odd in both Hermione’s expression and her last statement. He couldn’t quite put a finger on it. She sounded certain about that possibility when Harry couldn’t find that same inevitability in the situation.

“I wouldn’t blame her if she never spoke to me,” Harry said truthfully.

Hermione didn’t offer any more words, but instead placed a hand on his shoulder, squeezing gently.

“I certainly didn’t want to keep her away from her family for Christmas,” Harry admitted after a few moments. “If I’d have realized that it meant she’d stay away and she and her kids not be around family for the holidays...maybe I wouldn’t have...” he added, trailing away thoughtfully.

“She’s doing what she needs to to keep herself busy,” Hermione offered. “And her boys...her boys are celebrating Christmas with Paul’s family,” she added.

Again there was something different in Hermione’s tone as she spoke and she seemed to shift her feet and stance--almost as though she was uncomfortable with something in the course of their conversation.

Harry thought for a moment about asking her outright if he’d said something wrong or if there was something more going on. But before he could do anything, Hermione let out a long sigh, and removed her hand from his shoulder.

“I better get back downstairs,” she said. “I just came up here to make sure Scarlett was behaving.”

Harry scrutinized his old friend for a moment longer before finding his voice again.

“They’re getting along,” Harry assured her. “I just checked on them and they seemed to be having a good time.”

------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- ------------------------------------

“Are you sure you’re not hungry, Jackson?” Paul asked for the third time in the last half hour.

Jackson nodded his head, looking up from his preoccupied silence to answer.

“Yeah...I’m not really feeling all that well,” he added, not completely fabricating the truth with his statement.

“Alright. The food is there if you’re feeling better later. Feel free to help yourself to whatever looks good,” Paul assured him. “And if you need something for a headache, stomachache, whatever...just let me know.”

“Thanks,” Jackson added with another nod.

Paul fixed him with one last appraising look before he turned away and returned to conversation with one of his brothers.

Truth was Jackson’s stomach was in knots and the thoughts that were running rampant in his head were actually causing it to physically hurt.

Normally he wouldn’t have had to be asked twice about whether he wanted something to eat. Both his Gran and his mum often joked about where he put all the food he ate. He was 17 and a growing boy who was always hungry. But at the moment he didn’t have much of an appetite. He’d nibbled on a few snacks that had been set out when he and Alex had first arrived, but he hadn’t joined the crowd that had descended on the kitchen when the dinner buffet had been set out.

He’d instead retired to the sitting room, claiming a nice cushy armchair in front of the television. But he hadn’t taken any interest in whatever holiday special the rest of the guests and family members were watching or the conversations going on around him. While his eyes may have been trained on the screen, his mind kept drifting back to a few hours ago and the conversation he’d had just before he’d come to Paul’s.

----------------------------- ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- -------------------------------------
( Earlier)

“Anybody home?”

Jackson looked up from the sink, spitting the last of the toothpaste from his mouth into it. He definitely recognized the voice coming from the kitchen. Only he was totally surprised to be hearing it at all.

Rinsing out his mouth once more and grabbing a towel from the rack to attempt to dry his still dripping wet hair, Jackson stepped out into the hallway from the bathroom and made his way towards the sound of the voice, which had called out again.

“If it isn’t the beauty queen himself,” Jackson heard someone snicker just as he lifted the towel from his head.

“I was just drying it,” he defended himself as he came face to face with Teddy Lupin, who was leaning against the far counter-top. “It really sticks up if I use the Drying Charm on my hair.”

“Yeah...I’m pretty sure it’s not going to make a difference, Scruffy,” Teddy teased with a smile.

“You should really be the one calling someone a ‘beauty queen’,” Jackson shot back. “You’re the one with the ever-changing colored hair. And is that another earring?”

Teddy’s hand shot up to his left ear where there was a large diamond.

“Just one more,” Teddy admitted with a grin.

It had been months since he’d seen Teddy. Teddy was a year and a few months older than Jackson. And although he wasn’t actually family, they’d grown up with that type of relationship. Being the oldest of the Weasley grandchildren, Teddy had been the one kid that Jackson could look up to.

Not ashamed to admit it, Jackson sometimes looked at Teddy as the big brother he didn’t have. Being a Metamorphmagus like his mother, Teddy could always shift his features and hair on a whim. As they had grown older and gotten on in school, he did it to entertain people and impress girls. Teddy was popular, he was smooth, he was cool.

Even now Teddy was exuding coolness. His hair was his favorite turquoise, casually falling onto his face in a sort of designed messiness that Jackson could never hope to achieve. He had a few piercings and Jackson knew of one tattoo that he had. And he was always dressed in whatever the latest fashion was--Wizard or Muggle.

And since leaving Hogwarts last year, Teddy had been working as an apprentice curse-breaker in South America. That’s where he’d been since graduation and Jackson had only heard from him through letters he’d sent regaling Jackson with stories of some of the cooler experiences he’d had at work and in exploring some of the nightlife over there.

But Teddy wasn’t supposed to home from South America for the holidays for another day, so his appearance was a little unexpected.

“So what did I do to earn a visit from Mr. Curse Breaker?” Jackson teased, yet his question cutting to the heart of his own curiosity. “I thought you weren’t going to be back until tomorrow?”

“I decided to come home a bit earlier,” Teddy offered, oddly loosing a bit of the teasing bravado he’d used before. “Thought I’d try and catch you before you and Alex left for Paul’s.”

“We’ll be leaving in a little while. I’m just finishing getting ready before I side-along us there,” Jackson explained.

“What did you do? Just get up now?” Teddy asked, noting that it was late-afternoon and Jackson was just showering for the day.

“I had a bit of a lie in,” Jackson admitted with a shrug. Truthfully he’d not been real motivated as of late and hadn’t been sleeping extremely well. As a result he’d been sleeping in late and had actually missed a few classes while he’d been at school as a result. He’d gotten reprimands and even a detention from one of his professors, but when he’d expected Headmistress McGonagall to get involved--she remained completely silent on his behavior.

“Right,” Teddy replied with a raised brow. “Where is Alex anyway?”

“I think he’s downstairs--probably watching telly or playing some game,” Jackson responded. “Why?” he added.

“Just thought maybe we could talk...just the two of us,” Teddy said with a shrug. “It’s been months since I’ve been home and you haven’t really said a whole lot in your last few letters.”

“Hasn’t been much to talk about,” Jackson replied rather weakly, not liking where this conversation was being steered by his friend.

“I’d say there’s been awful lot going on, mate,” Teddy countered, raising his brow at Jackson’s indifference. “Some pretty crazy and--big--things,” Teddy added.

Jackson fixed Teddy with a questioning look.

“I talked to my mum a few days ago via a shotty Floo connection we managed to get,” Teddy explained. “She said it wasn’t something to put into a letter and try and explain...so she gave me a pretty good overview of what’s been going on,” Teddy added.

Jackson said nothing.

“How’re you holding up?”

“I’m fine,” Jackson said dismissively as he avoided Teddy’s concerned gaze.

“I wouldn’t think that this would be something you’d be ‘fine’ about, Jackson,” Teddy replied.

“Well, I am,” Jackson reiterated. “And what would you know about it?” he added rather testily.

“Well, I know you’re still here at home,” Teddy replied. Again, Jackson didn’t follow what Teddy wanted him to say or how he was supposed to react and was sure his confusion was showing on his face.

“You’d think that if you were okay that you’d be over with the rest of the family for Christmas...meeting your dad,” Teddy continued. “I’d think that’d be the first thing you’d do.”

“Well you’re not me,” Jackson replied tensely. “And it’s not as simple as that.”

“Sorry,” Teddy said with a sigh, his sudden retreat surprising Jackson. “I’m the last person you probably want to talk about all this with.”

“Why’s that?” Jackson asked as his curiosity got the best of him.

“Well...considering how my dad’s involved in all this,” Teddy offered. “I wasn’t sure if maybe you’d get a few swings in on me too.”

Jackson shook his head and let out a heavy sigh of his own.

“I heard you got him pretty good,” Teddy stated.

Jackson nodded.

“I probably would have done the same thing,” Teddy admitted, causing Jackson to look up and meet Teddy’s gaze for the first time.

“I don’t understand him,” Teddy continued on. “I don’t know how he could have just gone along with everything, knowing what he did...”

“Well, he did,” Jackson replied, swallowing heavily. “But why would I hold that against you?” Jackson asked quietly.

This time it was Teddy who did not answer, but Jackson suddenly thought he understood what Teddy might be getting at.

“Nothing about this is fair,” Jackson said softly.

“Yeah...but what my father did--the promises he made--took yours away from you,” Teddy replied quietly. “I’d say the only one this isn’t fair for, is you.”

Jackson paused for a moment, knowing what he really wanted to say. It was something he’d been telling himself every time the urge to rage at Remus or the others cropped up within himself.

“But if your dad had broken that promise at any time and told somebody--the Vow would have killed him and you wouldn’t have him,” Jackson told him seriously. “You’d be the one who grew up without their father. Like I said--nothing is fair about all this.”

“Your dad was just a kid, mine wasn’t and he should have known and understood better the repercussions,” Teddy tried to argue.

“Well, he’s not anymore,” Jackson countered. “And it doesn’t really matter what did or didn’t or should have happened...it’s not going to change anything.”

That much was what Jackson had convinced himself over the last few weeks. He was angry, he was confused and there wasn’t much he was sure of, but he knew that there was no way to go back and make anything right. Things were the way they were and he was going to have to try and put everything together.

“You’re right,” Teddy agreed with a reluctant nod. “But it still sucks.”

Jackson nodded his agreement. That much he could agree with Teddy on.

“But why are you still here?” Teddy asked after a few seconds. “Why aren’t you over there?”

“I can’t just show up,” Jackson replied shaking his head.

“Why not?”

Jackson raised his brow at the question. How could Teddy not understand why it wasn’t as simple as that?

“My mum isn’t going to be there,” Jackson began. “And she’s told everyone that she wants to be the one to tell him...about me.”

“Is that solely her decision to make?” Teddy asked seriously. “I mean--truthfully--I think he’s going to be pretty shocked or stunned no matter who tells him or how he finds out...”

Jackson didn’t respond immediately to Teddy’s suggestion. The question his friend had raised was something that he’d been forced to contemplate and think about in the time since he’d found out that his father was alive. He just wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do or how he was supposed to act on that thought.

“It’s what she wants,” Jackson replied quietly. “And I don’t want to do anything to hurt or upset her anymore than she already is...”

“In her letters and in the time we’ve been home from school until she left for Australia, she’s been different,” Jackson added. “She was distracted and almost--lost...”

Teddy looked at him sympathetically.

“No matter what I might want, I won’t go against her,” Jackson said quietly.

“I know you don’t want to do anything that would cause your mum pain or make her angry,” Teddy began slowly. “But I still think that maybe in this case, you can stand to be a bit selfish and think about what you want in all this...”

Again Jackson did not respond to Teddy’s words, but continued to mull them over in his head.

“Anyway...I thought I’d give you this before I left,” Teddy said after a few seconds. Jackson looked to find Teddy holding out a silver chain with a large locket hanging from it.

“It’s a Portkey,” Teddy explained as he took in Jackson’s confused expression.

“I thought that if you decide change your mind later, you’ll have a way to get there,” Teddy added.

“Aren’t you going?” Jackson asked. Teddy nodded. “Then I can’t take this. How are you going to--”

“I’m gonna take the trip in stages,” Teddy said, cutting him off. “I’ll Apparate to the three stopping off points. It’ll take a bit longer and be a bit taxing...but I’ll be alright.”

Jackson knew that International Portkey wasn’t the only way to make the trans-Atlantic trip. Witches and wizards could take the trip in a series of 3 Apparition stages--two of which were station platforms in the middle of the ocean. Apparition over that long of a distance was impossible in one shot, so the stages had been designed to allow people to stop at these stations, rest and recover for a bit before moving to the next destination.

“Just take it,” Teddy repeated, gesturing for Jackson to take the chain. “You don’t have to go...but just in case...”

Hesitantly Jackson reached out his hand and took the heavy locket from Teddy.

“You open it to activate it,” Teddy advised as Jackson turned the locket over in his hand, half-expecting it to have whisked him away the moment he touched it.

“Well...I better go. I’ve got one more stop to make before I skip over the pond,” Teddy offered after another few moments of silence.

“Be safe,” Jackson advised.

Teddy nodded.

“Can I ask you a question before I go?” Teddy asked suddenly, turning back towards Jackson after making a move to leave.

Jackson shrugged.

“Is your mum the only reason you’re deciding not to go?” Teddy asked. “Or is there more to it?”

Jackson looked down and away from Teddy, torn between staying silent and telling his friend what had also been bothering him. He knew he could trust Teddy not to judge him or trivialize anything he would say. He would listen and take him seriously and offer whatever advice he might have.

“I’ve always had this picture in my head...of what he was like,” Jackson began. “The general public has this perception of him as their hero and all that...and to a certain extent he’s been a sort of larger than life figure in mine too.”

“I mean...not in the way that others think of him exactly....but I’ve always been told how he was a great man and how brave and selfless he was,” Jackson continued.

“All my family have always tried to make sure I knew things about what kind of a person he was...telling me stories and sharing memories,” Jackson added. “When I was younger, my mum always told me that when I was scared or sad or whatever...I could just talk to him and he’d be able to hear me--that he was up there and loved me.”

“And you’re afraid that might change?” Teddy asked seriously.

“Kind of,” Jackson admitted. “I mean...what am I supposed to think? Everything I thought I knew about what happened or how things were has been totally blown away. The picture that I’ve always had in my head...the life that I thought I’d been living up until now...none of it happened the way I thought.”

“It turns out my dad was off living his life as some other bloke,” Jackson added. “And I don’t know what kind of man I’m going to meet. And yes, I’m afraid that it’ll change everything I’ve ever known about him...”

“I think that fear is perfectly normal,” Teddy told him. “I know it’s not the same thing...but I’m sort of nervous to meet him too. He’s my godfather and I’m not sure how that relationship holds up through all this.”

Jackson had nearly forgotten the fact that his father was Teddy’s named godfather. In all the whirlwind of emotions and thoughts that had been going through his head in the past few weeks, it had been something that he hadn’t thought on. Although--as Teddy had pointed out--it wasn’t quite the same level of weariness, they both had something to lose in all of this.

“But I think you’ve got to remember, Jackson,” Teddy continued on. “Is that none of this changes who you are. You’re still the same bloke you’ve always been and no matter what happens from now on, you’ve got your mum, your brother...and you’ve got me. We’re always going to be there to make sure you’re okay.”

Jackson nodded his understanding--and to some degree--his thanks at hearing Teddy’s words. There was a sense of reassurance in what Teddy had just said. It had seemed lately that everything was so uncertain and the future so muddled, so it was quite refreshing to have something clear and firm to latch onto.

“Well...I really have to be going,” Teddy added with a long sigh. “If I don’t see you later...Merry Christmas, Jackson.”
----------------------------- ---------------------------------------- --

Reflexively Jackson’s hand closed around the locket in the pocket of his jeans as he sat amongst the crowd of Christmas guests. Teddy’s words were still with him, both annoying and confusing him more than before and continuing to give him something to ponder over.

Sitting here was doing him no good. He knew that he was not going to enjoy himself and be able to engage in the merriment that everyone around him seemed to be engrossed in. As difficult a decision he was ultimately going to have to make, it wasn’t something he was going to figure out from here.

Quietly Jackson stood from his seat and walked out of the room with nobody really paying any attention to his departure. Jackson moved silently, only having to sidestep anyone when someone unexpectedly emerged from the hallway bathroom, before he made his way to Alex’s bedroom. He quietly closed the door behind him, leaving himself bathed in near total darkness--the only dim light filtering in through the large window.

Jackson glanced over towards his own rucksack in the corner. If he was to stay, he’d be sharing this room with Alex, which is what he’d done on the few occasions he had since his mum and Paul had divorced. But right now he wasn’t thinking about the items he’d packed for an overnight here, but whether he was going to pick the pack up, open the locket in his pocket and move towards another destination.

“So are you going?”

Jackson was startled out of his contemplation and looked up to find his little brother standing in the doorway. Alex had also succeeded in flipping on the lights without Jackson noticing.

“Huh?” Jackson replied automatically.

“Are you going to take the Portkey?” Alex asked as he stepped into the room, closing the door behind him.

“How did you--?”

“I heard you talking to Teddy earlier today,” Alex explained. “I came up from downstairs when I heard him come in--but I stopped when I heard you two talking...I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but it sounded serious.”

“I guess it was,” Jackson agreed.

“So...are you going?” Alex asked, and Jackson could only shrug.

“You’re thinking about it,” Alex added. It was not a question, but a statement.

“Yeah,” Jackson admitted with a heavy sigh. “I can’t stop thinking, actually...”

“You should go,” Alex offered, and Jackson through him a curious look. “Teddy was right...and I know what mum wants and all that...but I think it should be your choice. He is your dad.”

Jackson could only continue to stare at his little brother with a certain amount of surprise. He knew Alex was well aware of what had transpired these past few weeks, but they hadn’t really discussed it between themselves. He wasn’t sure what his brother thought of all that had been going on, so it was certainly interesting to hear him speak now.

“I probably shouldn’t leave--I haven’t really visited Paul in a while,” Jackson replied quietly.

“I think he’ll understand this,” Alex assured him. “I’ll go let him know and then we can go,” Alex added.

“We?” Jackson asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yeah...I was supposed to originally be with Mum and the family for Christmas anyway and I’ll come back to my dad’s for New Years,” Alex said with a shrug. “I don’t think he’ll mind when I tell him that and he’ll feel better if you don’t go alone.”

“The whole family is here--” Jackson pointed out.

“And most of them will be here for New Years,” Alex pointed out. “You should go and I want to go with you...”

“Why do you want to go with?” Jackson asked curiously.

“I just kind of want to be there for you,” Alex admitted. “Plus...your dad...is Harry Potter, you know...”

Jackson let out a surprise chuckle at Alex’s last comment.

“Yeah...I kinda knew that,” Jackson replied as he managed an amused smirk at his brother.

“Sorry...” Alex quietly apologized, realizing that the small bit of excitement he had shown over meeting someone so famous in their world, despite the personal nature of the situation, may have been a bit much.

“It’s alright,” Jackson assured him. “That bit still kinda gets me too sometimes.”

Alex nodded his thanks for his older brother’s understanding and looked relieved that he hadn’t said anything to upset Jackson.

Jackson stood there for a few moments, letting the earlier words from Teddy flow together with the ones his brother just spoken to him.

What did he have to lose by going? True, his mum would most likely be upset with him--but he hoped that feeling would only be temporary for her and that she would understand why he needed to do this.

He had a chance to get back something he’d always yearned for. He wasn’t sure how things would go from here or what sort of relationship could be fostered after everything that had transpired--but he had to try at least.

These past few weeks of waiting and wondering while obeying what everyone else expected of him had been torture for Jackson. Waiting had gone against everything his mind and his heart were screaming at him to do. He had to find out for himself what was awaiting him...

“Alright, go ask your dad,” Jackson finally said with a sigh.

“Really?” Alex asked, seemingly gobsmacked that his brother had actually agreed.

“Yeah,” Jackson replied with a nod. “I’ll need all the help I can dealing with Mum."
Reviews 429
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear