Search:

SIYE Time:5:08 on 19th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Restless Heart Syndrome
By notadryeeye

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:All
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Sexual Situations
Rating: R
Reviews: 429
Summary: 17 Years have passed since the fall of Voldemort. Just as the world thinks it has finally started to heal and move on, some things thought long lost begin to awaken.
Hitcount: Story Total: 102985; Chapter Total: 5416





Author's Notes:
Again I've got to thank Tenorspaz for looking this chapter over for me. And again, for those of you who are gong to ask...yes this is a Ginny/Harry story on a G/H site :)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 4: Christian's Inferno

“He's certainly grown up nicely, hasn't he?” a voice said from over her shoulder.

Anna jumped and nearly dropped the plate she'd been washing off in the sink. Anna looked up to find her sister Whitney standing behind her, watching her with a smile.

Before Whitney had startled her, Anna had been staring out into the back yard through the window over the sink. She had been mindlessly watching the scene before her through the pane of glass as she'd scrubbed at the pile of plates. Her attention, however, had been focused on the mess of dark hair sitting in the chair farthest away at the edge of the garden.

“Hmmm?” Anna asked as she turned her attention back to her sister.

“I said...Jackson's quite the looker,” Whitney repeated with a smirk. “It's certainly a change from the last time I saw him. He was all arms and legs when I saw him a few years ago.”

“He still is,” Anna said with a smile of her own as she set another clean dish on the counter.

“Yeah...but he's filled out some and is quite handsome now,” Whitney added as she reached for the dish Anna had set down and began drying it. “And you finally reeled him in....”

“I didn't reel him in. It just sort of–happened,” Anna explained as her gaze flickered out the window and she found Jackson again. He was sitting at the edge of a group of a few of her uncles and cousins, looking as though he really wasn't engaged in whatever conversation was going on around him. He didn't look bored, but his attention seemed to be pulled elsewhere as he looked away and at nothing in particular every few moments.

“Well it's about time,” Whitney replied. “It took you two long enough to get on with it even when everyone else saw you had a thing for him. Even Dad cottoned on while you were still oblivious.”

“Everyone?” Anna asked skeptically. “And how is it that you noticed? You haven't seen him in a few years.” she added. Whitney was a couple of years older than Anna and had been abroad most of the last 4 years, going to university in the States and then getting a job in New York. She only made it home a few times a year on holidays and family get-togethers. This time she was home for their cousin Amelia's wedding and their grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary, which today was being celebrated with a party in the back garden of their father's home.

“Well all your letters and emails for the past 3 years have been, 'Jackson this' and 'Jackson that',” Whitney teased. “If you hadn't nailed him down before I came home this time around, I was going to have to step in and fulfill my sisterly duty.”

“Which is?” Anna asked with a smirk.

“To smack you two over the head and tell you to start snogging,” Whitney laughed.

Anna chuckled as she looked out the window once more.

“So…is it serious?” Whitney asked in a more serious tone as the two continued to rinse and dry dishes.

Anna considered the question for a moment as she watched Jackson turn his head towards her Uncle Gordon, who seemed to have asked him something. Jackson simply shook his head in response and then turned his attention back to staring off into the distance without joining the conversation around him.

“I think so...” Anna replied to her sister's question as she pondered her boyfriend's behavior.

“Dad said he thought it was,” Whitney said. “He says you're always hanging with him and he's over here a couple times a week for dinner. He said you two are pretty–close–from what he sees and things seem to be going well...”

“They are...” Anna responded quietly.

“But?” Whitney asked almost knowingly.

Anna looked up to find her sister watching her reactions carefully.

“I don't know,” Anna admitted with a sigh. “Things are good. He's always been my best friend...and now that we're together...he's even more so. He's sweet, attentive, funny–a good kisser and all that–”

“But things aren't great...” Whitney finished.

“Not lately,” Anna admitted, voicing aloud for the first time what she'd been feeling. “He's been different. Watching him now he's quiet and distant,” Anna added, gesturing out the window to where he sat. Whitney followed her sister's gaze.

“He could just be nervous,” Whitney offered. “Meeting our whole family is a little daunting, especially for a new boyfriend.”

“That's not it,” Anna replied. “It's not just today. He's been off for the past few weeks. We'll be perfectly fine for a while and then when we're just relaxing or sitting somewhere–he'll space off and totally flake on being there with me. Sometimes when we talk or I ask him something–it's a one word answer or he shakes or nods his head and brushes me off.”

“Did you ask him if there's anything wrong?” Whitney asked.

“Yeah–a few times,” Anna admitted. “You know me...I don't want to be that pushy, clingy girl who needs to know absolutely everything going on in her boyfriend's mind....but he's just been driving me crazy.”

“What did he say?”

“He gets this confused look on his face that tells me he thinks it's odd that I think there's something wrong with him,” Anna told her sister. “And then he tells me he's fine. It's always 'I'm fine'.”

“The thing is–I want to be with him. But if he won't tell me what's bothering him...” Anna continued. “I'd at least like to know if it's something I did or said...or if there's something if wrong with him or his family...”


“Relationships are complicated,” Whitney admitted. “It's hard to go from friends–like you two have been–to something more.”

“Some bits have been a little strange at first. The whole friendship dynamic changes,” Anna offered.

“And sex can always complicate things. Especially after the first time,” Whitney added.

Anna's head swiveled towards her sister at the insinuation.

“What?” Anna asked as she furrowed her brows.

“Look–I'm not naïve enough to think that my little sister isn't old enough for that. You're in a serious relationship with someone you really care for and are attracted to–it's not altogether unlikely,” Whitney replied. “And sometimes adding that to the relationship can change things–if maybe he wasn't ready...”

“Wait–you think we've--?” Anna cut her sister off from finishing that thought. “This isn't about sex,” Anna stated shaking her head.

“No?” Whitney asked with a raised brow.

“No. We haven't done that,” Anna clarified. “We've gotten pretty–heated–at times. But right now our relationship isn't about shagging.”

“Maybe it is?” Whitney offered. Again Anna turned to look completely confused at her older sister.

“I've just said we haven't--” Anna began.

“Maybe that's the problem?” Whitney asked. “Maybe he wants to–and doesn't know how to ask? You've just said it yourself–some things are a bit odd going from friends to dating. I'm sure that asking you if he can get in your knickers is one thing that might qualify under the weirdness of the changing friendship dynamic...”

Anna looked out the window again at her boyfriend and then back to her sister.

“I don't–I don't think that's it,” Anna said shaking her head. “I mean–Jackson's really not like that...”

“He's a guy,” Whitney cut across. “Believe me–he's like that. No matter how nice and sweet he is–it's something he wants and thinks about.”

Anna couldn't bring herself to agree with her sister's assumption about the situation, but she couldn't totally ignore it either. Something was definitely bothering him and if she couldn't put her finger on the source of his discontent, maybe it was something she hadn't considered before?

Anna looked down at the empty sink filled with dirty dishwater, trying to clarify and bring things together in her mind.

“You two will figure it out,” Whitney assured her, sensing her younger sister's unassuredness. “He's a good bloke...a keeper. No relationship is perfect...they all have their bumps and bruises...”

Anna nodded, but did not respond in any other way. Something was wrong...and she'd just have to figure out a way to get to the bottom of it and fix it.

--------------------------------- -----

“Hey there,” Anna said quietly as she sank down in the chair next to Jackson. He started from his silent contemplation that had continued even as she'd stopped watching him through the kitchen window.

“Hey,” he responded with a slight smile as he turned towards her. “I wondered where you'd gotten to.”

“I was just helping clean up the dishes,” Anna responded as she reached for his hand that was propped on the nearby arm rest and entwined her fingers with his.

“Can you come with me?” she asked quietly as she leaned in close to him.

Jackson raised his brow in confusion.

“I just want to go somewhere,” she explained.

“You want to go?” Jackson asked, confused.

“No. Not yet,” Anna replied, shaking her head. “I just want to talk for a bit–up in the house.”

Jackson looked away from her, hesitating to answer.

“Okay,” he replied with a nod.

Still holding tight to his hand, they stood from their chairs at the end of the garden and Anna led Jackson back towards the house. They only fielded a few curious looks as they made their way through the garden filled with Anna's relatives and soon reached the back door. Anna led him through the empty kitchen and up the stairs to the second level where her bedroom was. She didn't look back to gauge Jackson's reaction as they marched through the house.

Finally, when they'd reached their destination, Anna pushed open her bedroom door and led Jackson in, shutting it behind them and leaving them totally alone and in half darkness.

“Anna...what is this ab--” he began to ask, but she cut him off.

“Just–sit,” she ordered, pointing to her bed.

He hesitated for a moment, looking as though he was unsure of whether he wanted to obey or bolt. But slowly he turned and sat down at the edge of her bed, waiting for her to go on.

Anna turned away from him for just a moment, wondering briefly to herself if she wanted to proceed with the questions she had in mind. Did she really want to confront him like this?

Swallowing heavily and steeling her resolve, Anna turned back to face him as he sat there, waiting anxiously for her to speak.

------------------------------ -------------------

Jackson was nervous.

He knew Anna wasn't happy with him. He'd seen the frustration in her eyes long before she'd approached him in the garden and brought him up here.

Truth be told, he'd been a right awful boyfriend as of late. He knew he'd been off and distant lately–but he couldn't seem to help it. He'd had a lot on his mind and a lot distracting him.

He knew she was mad and he expected her to go off on him. He deserved it.

He watched her back as she stood facing away from him. He couldn't see the expression on her face, but he could see the tension in the way she stood.

Jackson seemed to hold his breath as he waited for the storm to break.

And then Anna turned to face him.

Her eyes caught his and locked on as she walked towards him slowly and quite deliberately. Each step seemed agonizingly slow as she bridged the distance between herself and where he sat on the bed.

And then as she walked, Anna brought a hand up to her collar, her slender fingers deftly working the top button of her shirt. Once that one was open, her fingers slid down and quickly maneuvered the next. She stopped her advancement only as she reached the foot of the bed, standing in the space between Jackson's knees, just inches from him.

Jackson could only watch on in awe-some fascination as his girlfriend undressed before him, every button conquered, another bit of perfect skin revealed. Every part of his body was fully aware of the scene before him and his blood was thundering in his ears as it raced towards another destination.

He'd had dreams like this, yes. Ones in which pretty brunettes paraded around in naught more than where Anna was heading now. But he never could have imagined in his short life that this would really be happening. He had hoped–but this was all too much.

He still couldn't believe this was going on, even as the delicate purple lace of Anna's bra was revealed in full, followed by the taught plane of her stomach as her shirt was pulled open.

And he damn near lost it when she took both his hands, which had been resting on the bed on either side of him before now, and placed them on her bare sides–the delicate, smooth skin taunting him so much. He couldn't keep his fingers from drawing circles against her skin as he swallowed heavily.

He wanted so much to touch her, to reach forward and kiss her, taste her. She was right here; open before him to do what his hormones were pressing him to.

But hadn't it only been a minute ago that the atmosphere had indicated that she had wanted to rip his head off–not their clothes? She had been mad at him and now she was standing before him, practically topless, allowing him to openly ogle.

Something was wrong here....

---------------------------- --------------

Anna watched on in nervous anticipation as Jackson surveyed her. His hands were warm against her skin and his touch was feather-light as his fingers circled the skin above her hips. The expression on his face was a mixture of awe and admiration, which made her tremble slightly and feel her own arousal building low in her belly.

The way he looked at her always made her melt and feel more womanly and sexier than she'd ever felt before. This time was no different and she very much wanted him to kiss her and pull her bare skin close to his.

As she watched Jackson's eyes rake over her, he swallowed heavily and then seemed to blink markedly while shaking his head nearly imperceptibly.

His fingers stopped moving against her skin and his eyes dropped downward.

Not understanding his sudden reaction, Anna reached down and placed her own hands upon his and slowly moved them up her sides.

------------------------------ ----------------

Jackson was shocked back from contemplation as Anna grabbed his hands and moved them upward. And he nearly stopped breathing altogether as the upward progress of his hands stopped firmly on the purple lace of her bra, her own hands holding his in place as they covered her.

In any other situation, this would be absolute heaven for him. But this wasn't that kind of situation and he had to concentrate with all his being and the remaining blood in his brain to take hold of himself again.

“Anna, stop,” he croaked. His voice was uneven and strained as he tore both his gaze and his hands away from her chest as if burned.

As he lowered his hands, they found the sides of her open shirt. He grabbed both ends of the open blouse and brought together the first of the tiny buttons. As soon as he had fastened the first, his fingers moved upward towards the next.

“Don't!” Anna yelled at him as she pulled her shirt out of his grip and spun around, away from him.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” she asked desperately as she stood with her back to him again. This time she was shaking as she stood with her arms wrapped around her chest.

“Anna--” Jackson whispered pleadingly as he got up from the bed and moved to stand behind her. He went to place a hand on her shoulder but she stepped away from him violently, leaving him to stand there with his hands dangling uselessly at his sides as he tried to make sense of the situation.

“I don't understand you,” Anna whispered in a broken voice as she shook her head and turned to face him.

Jackson just stood there dumbfounded, unable to find any words to voice his own confusion.

“You've been ignoring me and staring off into space these past few weeks–acting completely off,” Anna continued, desperation in her voice. “And then when I go and practically throw myself at you, you can't even touch me. You act like you don't want me.”

“Anna--” He began rather stupidly again, but she cut him off as she continued her rant.

“So what is it, Jackson?” she asked as she looked at him, her expression lost and confused. “If you don't want this anymore…If you've decided you're not interested in me like that, or I've done or said something to push you away–just tell me. That way we can fix it or–or at least I'll know...”

“Anna, it’s...it’s not you–it's–” he began, wanting to explain himself and keep her from thinking the worst. She really thought she was the one who'd screwed this up...

But before he could, she stopped him as her voice reached an even higher pitch.

“Don't you dare say 'it's not you, it's me',” she yelled at him, causing Jackson to flinch. “I swear if those words leave your lips--” she shouted at him and then trailed off as she failed to find words to finish her threat.

“Don't give me some lame excuse and some shit about you not knowing--” Anna continued, looking and sounding as though she were building up to another level of anger. But Jackson decided to head her off before he lost his chance again.

“For Merlin's sake! Will you just shut up and bloody listen to me for one minute?” Jackson shouted back at her, causing Anna to shut up mid-sentence and raise a brow at his tone.

“Merlin's sake?” Anna blurted out, sounding a bit amused.

“For God's sake, for Merlin's sake–whatever. Same thing,” Jackson replied shaking his head in exasperation.

“I was going to say–it isn't you, it's me,” Jackson continued when Anna remained quiet. “It really is me that's got this whole thing messed up.”

Anna still looked her confusion.

“You and I–us–we're perfectly fine,” Jackson continued. “You haven't done anything. You've been amazing as always.”

“Then what--” Anna began, but Jackson held up a hand to silence her. He needed to get this out.

“And of course I want you. Not only are you smart, amazingly funny and my best friend–but you're absolutely gorgeous,” Jackson added, not failing to notice that her shirt was still ¾ of the way unbuttoned. “You have no idea how bloody maddening it can be sometimes for me,” he added with a hint of a wry grin.

“I thought that might be the problem...” Anna said in a small voice.

“It can be a problem,” Jackson replied, earning a slightly shocked look from Anna. “But not a bad one or unwelcome one. And certainly not this problem,” he added with what he hoped was a convincing smile.

“I absolutely still feel the same way about you that I have since we started going out,” Jackson reassured her as he took a step closer to her and closed the distance between them.

He wanted her to look up at him; to look into his eyes and know that he was telling the truth.

“This–us–is even more amazing than ever,” Jackson said quietly. “And I still love you. That hasn't changed.”

Jackson expected Anna to speak, and perhaps question him. But she stayed silent and surveyed him with an expression of curiosity.

And then he realized what he'd said.

He had thought it many times–wondered if it was really what he'd been feeling for Anna. And he'd nearly said it a few times before. But now that he had–even though he hadn't planned on it–he realized fully that it was true.

“I love you too,” she said quietly as a small smirk played at her lips.

'So much for fearing her reaction...' Jackson thought to himself as he returned the smile–his a bit more coy and crooked.

“So it isn't you,” Jackson said quietly.

“Then what's bothering you?” Anna asked. “Is there something going on at home or--”

“No,” Jackson said shaking his head. “Everyone and everything is fine there,” he replied simply.

“I want you to be able to tell me everything,” Anna pleaded with him once more. “No matter what it is...or even if I won't understand if it's something to do with magic or wizards...I want to know what's going on with you.”

“You'll think I'm crazy,” Jackson stated seriously as he shook his head.

------------------------------- -----------
Anna wanted to smile at the assuredness in his own craziness, but she stayed collected.

“No I won't,” Anna told him. “I've told you before...there isn't anything you could do that would make me think differently of you.”

“No. You will,” Jackson rebuffed her, shaking his head and running a hand through his dark locks, messing them up further. “Because I think I'm certifiably nuts.”

“What?” Anna asked, not understanding his insistence on questioning the stability of his own sanity.

“I–I really think I'm losing it, Anna,” Jackson admitted aloud. “I've been driving myself crazy thinking about something and it's been affecting everything–apparently even us.”

“Jackson–you still haven't told me anything,” Anna interjected. “I still don't know what you're--” she continued, but stopped as she watched Jackson reach into the pocket of his shorts and produce a small, slightly crumpled bit of paper.

He unfolded it and held it out for her to take.

As soon as it had passed from his hand into hers, Jackson looked away as though bracing himself for a reaction that was going to reinforce his own assertion that he was crazy.

Anna calmly and carefully smoothed out the crinkled scrap of paper in her hand before looking at it clearly.

She instantly recognized the bit of paper, but was none the clearer as to why this was bothering Jackson. The paper had been seemingly and haphazardly torn from a book–one that she'd had her hands on a few weeks ago. Part of the text had been ripped in the attempt of removing it, but she recognized the photograph of the same dark-haired man who'd written the book.

Anna looked up from the paper in her hand to find Jackson watching for her reaction.

“So...” Jackson pressed, wanting to know her own conclusions.

“I–I don't know what you're getting at,” Anna admitted, looking back down at the paper in her hand.

Jackson looked confused and slightly frustrated at the fact that she didn't share the same concern over the ripped page as he had.

“That bloke looks like me, right?” Jackson asked hopefully. “Or I look like him?”

Before answering, Anna looked back down at the page and took a closer look at the man in the photograph.

“Yeah...he does,” Anna admitted, noting the same high cheekbones, dark messy hair and stark green eyes of both men.

Jackson looked at her as though that admittance was to be the spark of some big revelation–but Anna continued to struggle.

“So...do you think this man is supposed to be some...long lost uncle or cousin or something?” she asked, reaching for anything that might hit the mark, or at least placate him.

“No,” Jackson replied shaking his head a bit exasperatedly. “You've met all my uncles–they're all my Mum's brothers. All the family I've got alive are on the Weasley side–mostly all red-haired and freckled.”

Anna furrowed her brow in confusion at Jackson's revelation. He was claiming an uncanny resemblance to this man, but there wasn't a possibility of relation. Just what was he getting at?

Anna shook her head in confusion and admittance that she didn't know what he was trying to tell her.

“How old do you think he is?” Jackson asked, moving closer to Anna and gesturing towards the paper.

“I dunno–thirties?” she ventured a guess after surveying the picture again.

“Yeah–I thought mid-thirties,” Jackson told her.

“Jackson--”

“And he'd be thirty-six now...” Jackson muttered, almost to himself.

“Who?” Anna questioned a little louder than she'd intended.

He looked at her, biting the inside of his lip.

“Jackson--” Anna pleaded once more insistently. And she was surprised at both his quick, willing response and with the fervor with which he spoke.

“There was never any body found,” Jackson blurted out. “They said there was only charred earth and ash left when it was all over. But nothing to indicate he'd even been there. The spell they used was so powerful that everything was incinerated and nothing was left–no shred of clothes or fragment of bones–nothing,” Jackson continued boldly and desperately.

“There wasn't anything to bury,” Jackson continued. “I go and visit a box in the ground with a few clothes and pictures in it a few times a year. His grave is just a headstone with an empty coffin filled with a bunch of his things...”

Anna looked at Jackson–took in the pain and the confusion in his own face–and knew what he was getting at and what he was talking about.

The idea itself was ludicrous and from what she knew–completely impossible. But the look on Jackson's face and the weeks of his distant behavior told her otherwise.

“You–you think this is your–dad?” Anna asked quietly and what she hoped was not a judgmental tone in any way.

Jackson looked down for a moment and then nodded slowly.

“Told you you'd think I was crazy,” he sighed out.

She didn't think he was crazy–but she didn't know what it said about the complete soundness of his mind either.

“I don't think you're crazy,” she reiterated. “But–I mean–your dad died,” she continued, cringing at the lameness of her statement.

“I know that,” Jackson admitted. “You know that. My family knows that. The whole world knows it,” Jackson went on. “But there's a bit of me–this small annoying part of my brain that keeps telling me that maybe it didn't happen that way...”

“I keep looking at the picture–trying to find anything that'll ease my mind. I keep trying to find something that'll refute all these crazy ideas flying around my head and put me at ease,” Jackson continued. “I want something that'll tell me I'm wrong and all this distraction and contemplation is just my overactive imagination.”

“I can't explain it–but for some reason–this picture of some American photographer bloke is driving me absolutely insane and making me think that my long-dead father is impossibly alive,” Jackson said shaking his head. “I want it to stop–but I just can't leave it alone...”

Part of Anna wanted to spout some psychological nonsense about this perhaps being a latent and long-subdued reaction to the loss of his dad–something he didn't get to express when he was younger. She had bouts now and again where she herself struggled with the absence of her own mother. But she knew it wouldn't help. And she knew how well-adjusted Jackson was in regards to the subject.

“Maybe we can look this–Evan Smith–up?” Anna asked. “If he's done a book–he's famous enough. Maybe we can find some information on him?” she added as she moved towards her computer and desk. They should be able to look him up online.

“I've tried,” Jackson admitted. Anna looked up a bit shocked as she sat down at her desk and Jackson followed to stand behind her.

“I went to the library about a week ago,” he explained. “I did a little bit of looking on the...internet,” he added, sounding slightly unsure of himself.

“You know how to use a computer?” Anna blurted out before she could stop herself. She knew he had a television and land-line telephone at home–but no computer. It was always letter writing or telephone calls. It hadn't been that long ago when she'd teased him about his inability to work a cellular phone properly. He didn't have one of those either...

“A little,” he admitted sheepishly. “Barely,” he added in clarification. “My Aunt Hermione has one and I’ve been over a couple of times when her kids used it–to play games and stuff.”

“Oh,” Anna replied quietly as she turned on the monitor and started up the desktop. “So what did you find when you were looking?” Anna asked as she clicked to connect to the internet.

“Not much,” Jackson told her as he watched the screen change and the browser pop up. “Like I said–I'm not good with computers at all. I had to have some lady working at the library to help me to turn it on and get on it and all that. And then I think it took me about 5 minutes to type in his name,” Jackson added, hiding a bit of a smile as he amused even himself with his own technological ineptness.

Anna thought it was cute.

“I did end up finding one site that was about him,” Jackson told her. “There were biographies of other photographers...”

“Anything interesting?” Anna asked.

“His wasn't as extensive as all the other ones,” Jackson admitted. “All the others talked about where and how they grew up, their first memories of falling in love with pictures and photography and some things about their families.”

“And his?” Anna asked.

“Basically what it said in the back of his book,” Jackson told her. “That he got a degree in photography and then started working as a photographer for some music magazine and became one of the best modern rock and street photographers out there. Now he teaches at some college in New York.”

Anna nodded as she typed 'Evan Smith' and 'photographer' into the search box.

“There wasn't anything about his hometown or anything other personal about him,” Jackson added, watching the screen as the results of Anna's search popped up on the screen.

Anna clicked on the first link on the list and Jackson watched as the screen changed.

“That's the one I found,” Jackson assured her and then watched as Anna navigated her way to the section on Evan Smith.

------------------------------ --

Jackson was right–there wasn't much vital information available in the bio; Just some facts about his educational and professional career and some examples of his work. She spent a few minutes taking a look at some of the pictures as Jackson leaned over her shoulder. These ones were different from the street scenes in the book. They were from his work with musicians, singers and bands that he’d shot for Rolling Stone Magazine., The “some music magazine” that Jackson had dismissed earlier was actually one of the most prominent publications in the entertainment world. Well…her world at least.

“I told you there wasn’t much,” Jackson said as Anna clicked away from the page went back to her search page.

“We’ll just try some place else,” she assured him as she bypassed over the next few entries that didn’t have anything to do with Evan Smith or photography.

But the next links they tried didn’t yield much new information either. There were galleries that included his photography, links to articles that used his pictures and commentary and reviews of his books (apparently he had a few). They’d tried going to the publishing company page that printed his books, but that hadn’t given them any information or leads either. And apparently, he no longer worked for Rolling Stone, as he wasn’t listed on their site list of photographers and journalists.

After nearly an hour of searching, they’d found nothing and Anna could feel the frustration in Jackson as he sat beside her, watching her work.

“It’s like the guy doesn’t want to be found or bothered with,” Jackson growled as he leaned forward and placed his hands on either side of his face, his elbows propped up on the desk.

“We could always try and figure out which university he teaches at,” Anna mused aloud as the thought suddenly came to her.

“And how do we figure that out?” Jackson asked, his face still in his hands.

“Well…there can’t be an ungodly number of schools in New York,” Anna replied. “We could search for some sort of directory maybe. And I’m sure most of them have their own sites…”

Before Jackson could agree on the course of action, Anna began typing in ‘university directories in New York’ into the search box. Immediately, several links to listings popped up and she clicked on the first link in the list of results.

“There’s probably about fifty or so…” Anna said after scrolling down the page. “Not too unmanageable.”

“So we’ve got to just start going through them one by one?” Jackson asked, sounding fairly discouraged by the prospect.

“It looks like it,” Anna replied. “Unless you’ve got a better idea?” she added, turning her head to look at him.

He shook his head.

So they set to work combing through the websites of all those universities and colleges listed on the directory. The first 20 yielded nothing as they scanned through the faculty in the art, visual media and photography and film programs of the various schools. Anna wasn’t completely familiar with the degree programs and majors, but anything that had to do with visual art and media, she made sure they explored.

It wasn’t until Anna clicked on the link to Buffalo State College, that she had any hope that this search was going anywhere. She clicked on the “Meet the Faculty” link of the Fine Arts Department of the 4-year campus and then moved the mouse over to the ‘Adjunct Faculty’ link.

There, third from the bottom was Evan Smith, Lecturer. There was no picture, link to personal page or lengthy educational bio as there had been with other professors. Just a campus office number and an email address.

Anna looked over to find that Jackson had already spotted the name on the page. He was looking intently at the screen.

“That’s him?” Jackson asked as he looked back at her.

“It looks like it,” Anna said, nodding. “The book says he got both his Bachelor’s degrees and his Master’s from The State of University of New York in Buffalo–so it makes sense. This one isn’t far away from the other at all.”

Jackson looked back at the screen.

“So what do we do now?” he asked.

Anna paused. They hadn’t thought that far.

“We could contact him,” she suggested. “We could email him at this address,” she added, pointing at the link.

“And say what?” Jackson asked with raised brows. “Dear Mr. Smith, I think you could be my dead father. Could you please let me know where and when you were born and what you did with your life before the age of 18 so I can put my mind to rest. Sorry to bother you–signed, Some Crazy Guy from England?” Jackson added in a mocking tone.

Anna wanted to laugh at his retort, but she knew he was serious and she had no clue how to proceed.

“I don’t really know, Jackson,” Anna admitted with a sigh. “There isn’t a lot of good information on him personally. Contacting him might be our best bet. Maybe we could come up with some non-obvious question that could get him to tell us something. But that may be it…unless…”

“What?” Jackson asked if Anna trailed off as an idea sprung into her mind. “Unless, what?”

“Unless we go there,” Anna replied, even as she mulled over the silliness of her suggestion.

“Go there?” Jackson repeated, sounding dumbfounded.

“Yeah,” Anna replied, still unsure of why she’d even said it. “I mean–maybe if you saw him in person–you might know? Or–have you ever heard his voice–your Dad?” Anna asked.

“A few times,” Jackson admitted, still looking bewildered. “There’s a way to view other peoples’ memories–and a few times my uncles have let me see theirs. They were just a few simple conversations–lighter things. But it was cool to hear and see him–even if it was just a memory,” Jackson explained.

“I don’t think a voice would change that much,” Anna mused. “Maybe if we saw him or heard him speak–it might help bring some sort of closure.”

Jackson still continued to look at her quizzically.

“You know…” He said quietly. “I thought I was the crazy one here.”

Anna smiled in response when she saw Jackson smirk at her.

“I thought so too,” she admitted. “But–if it’ll help. Even if this is completely barmy–at least we’ll know and you can stop driving yourself mad.”

Jackson let out a long shaky breath and then shook his head in disbelief.

“So…you want to go to America?” Jackson asked with a raised brow.

“It seems so,” Anna admitted. “I’ve been there twice to visit Whitney at school.”

“That’s a long way away,” Jackson stated.

“It’s a 7 hour flight,” Anna added.

“And we’ll have to fly,” Jackson stated, causing Anna to look up at him. “Well, I can’t very well apply at the Ministry for an International Portkey to the States without someone in my family knowing. Most of them work there,” Jackson went on. “And I’m pretty sure my Mum wouldn’t be so keen on approving this little excursion across the pond when she found out…especially for the reasons we’re going…”

“I’m sure my Dad wouldn’t approve either,” Anna admitted.

“So, it’ll have to be a covert operation?” Jackson both stated and asked.

Anna nodded.

“We’d have to go before we both start school again in a few weeks,” Jackson interjected.

“I could try and book us a flight,” Anna replied. “I have my own credit card–my dad wouldn’t have to know that I bought the tickets,” she added as she started thinking out a plan in her head.

“We’d have to figure out something to tell our parents to explain where we’d be going,” Jackson stated. “I’m pretty sure your Dad wouldn’t like it even if we told him you were just going on a road trip or beach trip for a few days alone with me to end the summer.”

“Yeah. He’d probably tell me that he didn’t think it was appropriate for a young woman to spend a night or two alone with her boyfriend. We might get up to something…” she added with a wicked grin.

Jackson could only smirk at her insinuation.

“I could tell my Mum that I was going camping with Luke or Liam,” Jackson said after he thought a bit. “I’ve done that for a few days before and she’s never had a problem.”

“My Dad’s going out of town on a business trip at the end of the month,” Anna said. “We could go then and I could tell him Whitney and I are going on a little trip before she leaves again,” Anna suggested. “I’m sure I could get her to cover for me. She still owes me for a few things,” Anna added with a mischievous smile.

Jackson didn’t ask what those few things were, but he nodded in agreement.

“So…” Jackson sighed after a short stretch of silence. “We’re really going?”

“Well it seems like we haven’t had any problems drawing up our get-away plan,” Anna said with a smile. “That’s got to be some sort of sign.”

“Either that–or we both really are crazy,” Jackson said with a laugh.

“Let’s just say it’s a sign.”

------------------------------ ---------------------------------------
The next few weeks seemed to crawl by as Jackson and Anna orchestrated their plans to fly to America. Anna expected to be found out at any moment and with each passing day found it amazing that nothing had yet gone wrong. The fear and the secrecy of the whole thing was actually quite thrilling, a thrill that did not abate even as they boarded their flight early on a Thursday morning.

Anna found herself able to breathe a sigh of relief only when the plane had taken off and they were in the air and on their way. Besides, she had other things to distract her away from her worry. This was Jackson’s first time on an airplane, and although she knew he was no stranger to the actually flying part, he had had his misgivings about being stuck in some tube while doing it.

His nervousness had actually been quite endearing. Plus it had given her an excuse to hold his hand for most of the first part of the flight until he had fallen asleep. She had followed shortly after and the last few hours of their flight passed in slumber.

They’d landed in New York that afternoon, and after spending longer than expected on procuring their bags and then a ride, they’d finally ended up at the college late in the evening. By this time, both of them were tired–their effects of their nap on the plane wiped away by the arrival of jet lag. And they found themselves walking around a nearly empty campus as darkness approached.

“Are you sure this is the right one?” Jackson asked as they walked down the long hallway once more. All of the doorways lining both sides of the hall were shut and dark, seeing as classes didn’t begin for another week and many of the professors were gone for the day.

“It said Upton 502, doesn’t it?” Anna shut back, slightly annoyed. She was tired and jet-lagged and was becoming increasingly frustrated.

“Yeah,” Jackson replied. “But Upton 502 is definitely not the right office number,” he added as they passed the name card outside of the office door that read, Dr. C Hamilton. Associate Professor Art History. He leaned in and looked inside the narrow window beside the door to see a mostly empty office. There were several boxes stacked on the floor that signified that perhaps this C. Hamilton had just moved into the office and hadn’t unpacked yet.

Anna ran a tired hand over her face. They’d checked the website over and over before they’d left. She’d questioned in her mind only once the script at the bottom that said that the site hadn’t been updated since the previous December. But she’d dismissed the small date and now it seemed as though that Evan Smith was no longer a professor at Buffalo State College.

There was still a chance that they had other avenues to pursue, but all the trouble they’d gone through–booking airplane tickets, convincing and duping each of their parents of their respective made up trips and getting Whitney to cover for them–this first failure made all that seem too much work.

They’d flown thousands of miles and now it seemed like it was for nothing and the reason for coming halfway across the world seemed even more absurd.

“If the admissions office–or any office for that matter was open…we could ask there,” Anna sighed. “But that’s not for a few days now…”

“And we can’t stay that long,” Jackson replied as he leaned up against the wall, looking annoyed and defeated.

“No, we can’t,” Anna acknowledged, trying to think of anything they could do.

“Maybe he doesn’t work here anymore,” Jackson breathed out heavily. “But maybe he still lives around here?” he wondered aloud. “Maybe we could look him up in a phone book or something?”

Anna closed her head and breathed out her tension and tiredness.

“If we can’t find him on the internet…why would he be in a phone book?” she asked, trying not to sound to snippy.

“I dunno? But it’s worth a try, right?” Jackson asked, sounding a bit chuffed that she’d shot his idea down like that. “You’re just going to give up now? We flew all the way here and did everything for us to quit after being here a few hours?”

Anna sighed and shook her head.

“Fine…let’s go find a pay phone. They’ll have a phone book there,” Anna relented, heading back towards the stairwell that would lead them down to the first floor lobby where she’d spotted a pay phone before.

Both shuffled in silence down the five flights of stairs. The only sound audible was their plodding and tired footsteps on the cement steps. When they reached the bottom, Jackson held open the door for Anna as she led the way across the lobby to a bank of pay phones.

Hanging from the first phone cubicle was a blue bound book, which Anna picked up and began to page through. Jackson stood beside her, watching as she worked.

“There are about 70 Smiths in the book,” Anna told him as she scanned the list with her finger. “And none of them are him.”

“Not even an ‘E’ Smith or anything like that?” Jackson asked. Anna shook her head.

Jackson slammed his fist against the wood side of the pay phone cubicle.

“Maybe the other books are different,” he said as he reached for the next phone book hanging from the next phone. There were 5 phones altogether.

“Jackson…they’re bound to be the same,” she tried to point out in an even tone. She watched as he frustratingly tore through the pages, his finger sliding down the page as he looked through the Smith section. He threw that book down and moved to the next.

Anna watched quietly as he moved through the next to phone books with the same luck.

Anna knew he wanted resolution and was driving himself crazy–but this was stupid. They’d come here on a stupid lark and a quirky obsession.

When Jackson got to the last phone, he bypassed the blue phone book hanging there and instead, picked up a smaller book that was lying on top.

“It’s a university directory,” Jackson told her, his voice startling her in the quiet. “It’s from last year,” he sighed in relief as he began to page through the book.

Anna watched silently as he paged through it, knowing that he was most likely to be disappointed again.

“There he is,” Jackson whispered in disbelief as his finger hovered over the page. “It has his office number and school phone–but it’s got his home mailing address,” he said, shaking his head as if to try and convince himself of what he’d just read.

Anna reached out and Jackson passed her the book.

He was right. Most of the professors had a home address and Evan Smith was listed right along with them. For all their searching, the link they sought had been right here in this little directory.

“We’ll have to figure out where this Meadow Road is,” Anna said as her mind began to again formulate.

“Maybe we should go to the hotel?” Jackson suggested. “We could figure things out there…maybe eat?”

Anna wanted to laugh at the last bit. No matter what, food always seemed to come into the equation with Jackson.

“That sounds good,” Anna agreed. “Maybe we can take a nap too. I’m exhausted.”

------------------------- -------------------------------------


As it turned out, dinner and a nap had turned into dinner and fall asleep until half past eleven at night. Anna had fallen asleep on the bed after they’d returned from a nice dinner in the downstairs hotel restaurant and Jackson had dozed off sprawled out and lying half off the sofa not long after. By the time they’d both awoken, it had been too late to go anywhere for the day. No matter that they still didn’t know what they’d do once they’d found the house…it wasn’t an hour to be calling on anyone.

So they spent some time finding the address on a map that they’d found in a drawer of their hotel room. Anna had discovered that there was a bus route that would take them within a few blocks of the street, which would make their trip that much less complicated seeing as they wouldn’t have to take a taxi.

They talked a bit about what they’d do or say if it turned out he did indeed still live at the address listed. Anna suggested that they pose as former students wanting to catch up or maybe even fans of his photography looking to score an autograph. Jackson was sure none of these would be believable and it would be an awkward exchange no matter what.

He was extremely nervous about what might happen. He didn’t know if would be a best case or worst case scenario if they met him and it turned out that Evan Smith had grown up and lived in Buffalo, New York his whole life and really was an American photographer with no chance of being the long-lost, long-dead Harry Potter. Sure, he’d be able to put everything to rest–but there would also be some disappointment there as well.

He had grown up and been in the wizarding world long enough to know that nothing was ever as it seemed and what was impossible–rarely was. There was something about the obsessive and disruptive thoughts he’d had ever since laying eyes on the photograph that told him that he needed to keep going.

At about three in the morning and the trip was wearing on them even after their nap, Anna suggested that they retire for the night and resume their planning in the morning–when they were rested.

It was only when Jackson stepped out of the bathroom after brushing his teeth and changing into his pajama bottoms and an old t-shirt that he came across a problem with the sleeping arrangements. After he put the shirt and jeans he’d worn that day back into his bag, he turned to find Anna sitting up in the bed, already in her pajamas and reading a book she’d brought with.

There was only one bed.

That meant he’d have to sleep on the couch–the couch he already knew was too small to be comfortable. But he couldn’t ask her to switch with him. She was already under the covers and settled in.

So Jackson removed the thin blanket that lay across the back of the couch and sat down.

“What’re you doing?” Anna asked in an amused sort of way as she watched him try and lie down and cover himself with the blanket.

“Going to sleep,” he answered as he struggled to get comfortable.

“On that?” she asked skeptically. “You can sleep in the bed, you know…”

“I don’t want you to have to sleep on this,” Jackson said as his chivalrous streak kicked in.

“I don’t want to sleep on the couch either,” Anna laughed. “We both can share the bed,” she added matter-of-factly.

“No we can’t,” Jackson said straight away.

“Uh…I’m pretty sure we can.”

“There’s only one bed,” Jackson argued, stating the obvious.

“Yeah. I didn’t realize that when I booked the room,” Anna explained.

“The couch is fine,” Jackson assured her.

“Jackson,” Anna said seriously. “There is nothing wrong with us sharing a bed to sleep in.”

“It’s not proper, is it?”

Anna shook her head and smiled at him.

“We’re not going to get up to anything–improper,” Anna told him. “I’m going to sleep here. You can sleep there,” Anna said as she gestured to the open spot next to her. “I trust you not to pull anything. Do you trust me?” she asked seriously.

“Yeah–” he answered, hesitating a second.

“Then get over here so you can sleep comfortably,” Anna said exasperatedly.

Jackson weighed his options for a moment, fighting against several conflicting thoughts in his mind. Most of them wanted him to jump into bed–some for not so virtuous reasons. But there were a few that told him that it wasn’t gentlemanly or proper–and those ones sounded uncannily and disturbingly like his Grandmum.

“Fine,” he huffed as he stood up from the couch and cast the too small blanket aside. Anna laughed at his reluctant resignation to join her and nearly had a fit as he slid under the blankets beside her, keeping as much distance between themselves as possible.

“I didn’t realize I was so repulsive,” Anna joked, in a mock hurt voice, as Jackson concentrated on staying away and not tottering off the edge of the bed.

“Well that’s the problem,” Jackson huffed again as he tried to straighten out his pillows. “You’re not repulsive. If you were, I would have had no problem hopping in here straight away.”

If he hadn’t sounded so serious, Anna would have laughed at him.

“Well it’s nice to know that it’s only my looks that matter,” Anna teased.

“It’s not,” Jackson corrected her. “But seriously…you are absolutely beautiful,” Jackson told her with a smile. “And you drive me crazy sometimes…in a good way,” he added, reaching across the space between them to brush away a stray strand of hair that had fallen into her face.

“You’re pretty amazing yourself,” Anna said with a sweet smile back. “And I do love you,” she whispered as she leaned towards him, closing the gap between them and kissing him firmly on the lips.

Jackson sighed and relaxed, relishing in the feel of her lips. All his prior concerns about the properness of sharing the bed left as they kissed.

“You’re not helping,” Jackson breathed out dazedly as he tried to head things off before he decided he needed to deepen the kiss. He could feel her smile against his lips.

“Sorry,” she whispered back as she pulled away. “Let’s just go to sleep, ok? We’ve got a long day tomorrow…”

Jackson nodded, rolling away from Anna as to maintain a safe distance from her.

“You know…it’s alright to touch me,” Anna giggled. “We have cuddled before. This is no different.”

Jackson pondered her statement over for a second before nodding again.

Then very gently, he wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him. Anna lent herself to his touch and leaned against his chest, melting into his embrace. As she lay against him, she felt Jackson move his head closer to hers. She could feel his breathe soft against her exposed neck.

“Goodnight,” he whispered, the words tickling against her skin. “I love you, Anna,” he whispered and then placed his lips lightly against the skin of her neck.

Anna smiled in response and closed her eyes as Jackson reached up and turned off the lamp attached to the wall over the bed. It took only a few minutes before Anna drifted off, content and comfortable in Jackson’s arms.

------------------------------- ------------------
The following morning went all too fast for Jackson's liking. After waking up and getting ready for the day, he and Anna had spent a few hours planning their trip and coming up with responses to every possible scenario for the possible meeting. By the time they'd finished it was almost lunchtime. They'd grabbed a few sandwiches and drinks on their walk to the bus stop, munching as they strolled and as they sat on a bench waiting for the correct numbered bus to arrive.

And now here they were, briskly walking the last few blocks to the street they were seeking. Anna was clutching a scrap of paper in her hand with the address and directions she'd looked up earlier. Jackson, however, had the address memorized.

643 Meadow Road.

That was where they were going. There they would hopefully find something that would bring some sort of closure or relief to this crazy quest he'd gotten them on.

After a few minutes of walking, they finally reached the end of the block and a sign at the corner indicated that they'd reached Meadow Road. Taking the road to the left, they walked down the street, gazing at the house numbers that were both visible on the fronts of the houses and mailboxes.

Five houses down on the right-hand side, they found their destination.

They both stared at the house for a minute, neither speaking nor moving from the sidewalk. It was a beautiful and quaint two story brick home. The front yard held a lovely little garden that was surrounded by a fence.

“Ready?” Anna asked as she grasped Jackson’s hand in hers. Without looking at her, Jackson nodded and returned the pressure by squeezing Anna’s hand back. Looking both ways, the pair crossed the quiet street and began walking up to the two-story brick home surrounded by a low wrought-iron fence.

As they reached the gate, Jackson gently pushed it open, the hinges squeaking slightly as metal brushed against metal. Anna stepped through the opening and Jackson followed as both moved up the cobbled walkway towards the door. Anna then went first up the set of three stone steps that led up to the large, ornately carved wooden front door.

“Doesn’t look like there’s anyone home,” Jackson whispered as he leaned over to look into the window to the left of the door. The lights were off and the lace shades covered the window. But as Jackson’s eyes adjusted to the darkness within, he could see evidence that someone did indeed currently live there. The window looked into a living room where there sat a large leather couch and recliner, all facing a large television set. He could see frames and various decorations hanging on the walls and sitting on tables, but it was too dark to discern any details about whose lives filled out the frames.

“Here. Try this,” Anna suggested as she reached forward and with pointer finger she rang the doorbell. They could hear the bells chiming in response to Anna’s touch and they both stood silent on the steps as they listened for any sign of movement or life from within.

There was nothing.

Jackson reached forward and rang the bell again.
They waited another minute or so. Jackson continued peeking in the window hoping to spot a glimpse of someone

“Maybe he’s just not home now? We could come back later?” Jackson suggested.

“I don’t know….” Anna responded.

“Well what do you think we should do?” Jackson asked as he looked at her pleadingly.

“Jackson–I’m not sure…” Anna replied helplessly.

“We could always go inside…” he added as he reached into his back pocket. Anna watched in shock as he produced a long thin stick of wood from his jacket pocket. It was his wand. Anna had seen him use it before and he’d even let her hold it a few times.

Was he really serious about what he’d just suggested?

She watched in quiet astonishment as Jackson raised his wand towards the door handle.

“You are not breaking in, Jackson!” she whispered harshly as she grabbed his wrist and tugged it away. Jackson glared at her as he pulled his wrist out of her grasp.

“We could just take a quick look inside,” Jackson snapped back at her. “Maybe we’ll find something. Nobody would even know we were here,” he explained as he drew his wand up again.

“No,” Anna told him flatly. “I know how badly you want to find something–but we are not going into the house uninvited. And you are most certainly not using some spell to unlock the door and barge into this house.”

“Anna–I–”

But whatever response Jackson had for her, he was cut off as a car approached the house on the quiet street. The black car pulled into the driveway slowly, its lights projecting on the garage door as it idled.

Anna froze on the doorstep as Jackson hurried to stow his wand inside his jacket. He kept his hand there, however, as if ready to react if need be.

“What do we do?” Anna whispered as her eyes stayed glued on the car, which had shut off now.

“Well we can’t just make a run for it,” Jackson advised. “That’d draw more attention that we don’t need. So we just stay put–make up some story like we planned.”

Anna nodded as she watched the both the driver side and passenger side doors open simultaneously. She could feel Jackson step up to stand beside her in what translated as a protective gesture.

They both watched as a short, portly man stepped out of the driver side of the car. His thick hair and beard were liberally grayed. A woman stepped out from the passenger side door. She was shorter and stockier as well; her kind face framed by curly blond hair.

Both people were surveying the two youngsters who were standing frozen on their front steps.

“Can we help you?” the man called to them as he took a few steps towards them.

Jackson glanced at Anna who had taken her own step forward and had reached the bottom of the steps.

“Yes. We’re looking for Professor Smith,” she replied in a friendly tone.

“I’m him,” the man replied firmly. “What’s this about?”

Anna hesitated for a moment, totally thrown by his reply.

They’d gotten the wrong Evan Smith.

“Oh…I’m sorry,” Anna apologized as she began to walk down the same cobbled walkway they’d arrived on. Jackson followed closely behind. “We must be mistaken on the address. We were looking for Professor Smith who I had for a photography class last semester at Buffalo State.”

“You’re looking for Evan then,” the woman interjected as she came around from the other side of the car and moved around towards them. As she spoke, her gaze was on Jackson as he stood silent beside Anna.

Anna nodded. Maybe all wasn’t lost?

“I just got a job here in town–some entry level photo work–and I thought maybe he might have some tips. He was really helpful last semester in pointing me in some career directions and I wanted to thank him,” Anna invented wildly. “I saw that he wasn’t at the college anymore and I’d had his address from last year and thought perhaps he still lived here…”

“He did,” the woman replied as she took a step past her husband, who put an arm out protectively to stop her. But she continued to walk on.

“But Evan got an associate professorship at the University of Wisconsin,” the woman explained. She had still not addressed Anna, whom she seemed to be talking to. Her eyes, however, were on Jackson, who she was surveying with an odd expression.

“He moved out there at the beginning of the summer,” the woman explained as she stopped a few feet from them.

“Oh. Well then I’m sorry we bothered you,” Anna apologized. “We really hoped to catch him.”

“It’s no bother,” the woman replied with a warm smile. “You’ll be able to reach him by email or even call him there. I know Evan enjoys hearing from past students.”

“I’ll have to do that. Thank you,” Anna replied as she felt Jackson slip his hand into her own and move them further down the walkway.

“What did you say your name was dear?” the woman asked interested.

“Anna Mitchell,” Anna replied.

“Maria Smith,” the woman responded, holding out her hand for Anna. Anna reached forward with a smile and shook it warmly. “I’m Evan’s…mother,” she added. “And that’s my husband Steve,” she said as she gestured over her shoulder to where the man still stood.

But Anna had really stopped listening though when Maria had identified herself as Evan’s mother. Anna could feel Jackson’s grip on her hand tighten. He had caught on as well.

If this woman was Evan Smith’s mother–that meant they’d been wrong about everything. Evan Smith really was just a photographer from Buffalo, New York. He had a mother and a father who were very much alive here. And that automatically disqualified for any crazy theory or thought that he could be Jackson’s father.

“And who’s this quiet young man you’ve brought with you?” Maria asked Anna as her eyes once again flitted to Jackson, who had not spoken.

Anna could feel the tension radiating off Jackson who took a few seconds to answer.

“Jackson…Potter,” he said, his voice oddly quiet and shaky.

Maria nodded her greeting with a smile to the young man.

“Well it’s nice to meet you both,” Maria replied. “I’ll have to tell Evan the next time I talk with him that you’re trying to get in touch.”

“Thanks,” Anna replied as the two continued on their way back towards the street. “Have a good rest of the day,” she added as they headed away from the couple.

Jackson and Anna didn’t wait for any formal goodbye from either Maria or Steve, but continued on their way back down Meadow Road towards the bus stop.

Neither said word as they walked the next few blocks, but Jackson continued to hold onto Anna’s hand even as they boarded the bus when it arrived.

They’d traveled a few blocks on the noisy bus before Anna broke the silence between them.

“What do you want to do now?” she asked as she leaned into him.

Jackson looked down at her and surveyed her tiredly.

“Go home, I guess…” he replied. “I’ve led us on a wild goose chase. I’m sorry,” he apologized as he put his arm around her.

“I’m the one who came up the idea to come here,” Anna countered him. “And it wasn’t a wild goose chase. I know this thing was really weighing on you. And I would do anything and go anywhere to make sure that we got you some peace of mind.”

“I’m not sure that’s what I got,” Jackson sighed as he leaned his head against the bus window.

“Then let’s go to Wisconsin….find this Evan Smith and get that resolution,” she answered fervently.

“You heard that woman,” Jackson said shaking his head. “Those were his parents back there. This means that we were wrong…and I feel like an idiot.”

She wanted to yell at him and tell him he wasn’t an idiot, but she knew he’d only continue to argue. Maybe it was best to just let all this go and fly home.

“Let’s get something to eat before we go back to the hotel,” Jackson suggested. “Maybe we can see if we can switch our flight to tomorrow…get home early maybe.”

“Are you sure?” Anna asked him gently.

“Positive,” Jackson replied with a sad smile.

The last few minutes of the bus ride were spent in silence. Once they’d returned to the bus stop nearest their hotel, they decided on getting a bite to eat at a small coffee place a block away.

It seemed like a hip trendy place that was filled with a good number of people around their age. Most of them were probably students, seeing as there were a few universities and colleges around the area.

They both ordered some sandwiches, chips and coffee and then retreated to a table in the back where Anna could access a computer to check on flights.

As they waited for their food to be delivered to their table, Anna logged into the café computer while Jackson stared around the coffee shop with heaviness in his gaze.

“Are you ok?” Anna asked as she peered at Jackson.

Jackson nodded, but sighed out heavily in response.

“It’s just–did you see how that Maria lady was looking at me?” Jackson replied.

Anna nodded.

“Well you do look like her son…even if you aren’t related,” Anna reassured him. “I’m sure the resemblance just caught her–”

But Anna trailed off as something on the screen caught her attention. Even without the glow of the screen reflecting off her face, Anna looked as though she had paled considerably.

“Shit,” she breathed out in a panic as she began to click furiously with the mouse.

“What?” Jackson asked in concern as he moved to sit beside her so he could view the screen.

“I’ve got about 20 email messages from my sister,” Anna replied as she scrolled through the message.

“Is everything ok?” Jackson asked.

“No,” Anna replied as she read. “My Dad came home early from his business trip. Apparently he wanted to go shopping for a few last minute things for my apartment for school. He was going to surprise Whitney and I…”

Jackson furrowed his brows in confusion.

“He knows I’m not with her,” Anna explained as she went on to the read the next message, which Jackson could see was in bold, capital letters. “She told him she’s not sure where I am, but she’s not sure how long she can keep him calm…”

“Oh crap,” Anna exclaimed as she opened the last email.

“Anna–”

“Whitney says that she’s going to have to tell my dad where we are,” Anna explained. “He’s threatening to call the authorities to look for me.”

“The police?” Jackson repeated.

“Yeah…he’s panicking,” she replied as she began to type furiously.

“What are you doing?” Jackson asked he watched her.

“Telling her that she can tell him and that we’ll be home in the next day or so,” she said as she typed.

Jackson nodded and watched her finish up her hasty reply. They both sat there waiting for a response from Whitney. When their food came it went largely untouched as they checked Anna’s inbox every few minutes.

About 30 minutes after finally received a reply from Anna’s sister.

“She says to hurry up and get home safely and call her when we get back home,” Anna explained even as Jackson read the email himself.

Apparently Anna’s father was no longer going to call on the help of the authorities to search for his daughter, but Whitney conveyed that things were not to be remedied until they got home.

Anna sighed in frustration and worry as she closed her email.

“I’m sorry, Anna,” Jackson apologized as he took in the worry radiating off of her.

“Don’t be…” Anna assured him.

“You’re in trouble because of me,” he continued as he watched her begin to search for tickets home. “When we get back…I’ll explain things to your dad…tell him this was all my fault.”

“How gallant of you,” Anna said with a small smile. “But I think I can handle him myself. I don’t need my father hating my boyfriend because he thinks you stole me away across the Atlantic.”

“Yeah–well once he finds out you’re with me–I think he’s going to hate me anyways,” Jackson mumbled glumly as he considered the prospect.

“We’ll deal with it once we get home,” Anna assured him. “So for right now…let’s just focus on getting back quickly,” she added.

It took a few hours, but eventually they found a flight that left later that night. It was more expensive than they’d have liked and what they’d planned for. But Jackson assured Anna he’d pay for it all once they got back.

After finishing up at the coffee shop, the two hurried back to the hotel and gathered their things. After checking out of the hotel, they boarded a bus to the airport where their plane back to England waited for departure at 7:30.








Reviews 429
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear