Search:

SIYE Time:13:50 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


After the Horcrux
By Manwe Valarian

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Rape, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 138
Summary: Harry and Ginny were meant to be together, but that doesn't mean things will be easy. They must deal with a rebuilding British magical community, fame, and even overprotective family members.
Hitcount: Story Total: 76467; Chapter Total: 1700
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry entered Kings Cross station at ten-fifteen on September first. He walked through the concourses looking around at the people and various other sights. It felt strange to be walking towards the Hogwarts Express for the last time. This is the place where his future truly changed. Finding out he was a wizard from Hagrid was a shock, but his life truly didn’t change for the better until he entered this building. It was during his search for platform nine and three-quarters that he met the Weasley’s.

He watched the people passing by as he stood by a brick archway between platforms nine and ten. He could easily tell the Muggles from the magical folk. The Muggles never paid attention to him. They just went about their daily business ignoring what is going on around them. The magical families would do a double take at him, and some would even stare outright at him. It was a bit annoying, but he could tolerate it here, since they couldn’t do anything for fear of revealing the magical world.

He stood here waiting for Ginny and her family to show up. They should be along any time, because she was Head Girl and needs to get on the train early. Dean, Luna, Lavender, and Seamus all walked up to him. Even though they weren’t holding hands, he could tell they were two couples, by the way they paired off together as they walked.

“All right there Harry?” asked Seamus as he walked up and extended his hand to him. Harry shook it and Deans. “What are you doing out here?”

“Waiting for Ginny,” he replied while looking around the station for her.

“What about Hermione and Ron?” asked Lavender.

Harry hesitated, as he wasn’t sure why Lavender asked that. “They are only going to Hogwarts for Potions and Herbology.”

“Oh, I wanted to thank her...” Lavender looked down at the pavement as she struggled to say something. Harry stood there for several seconds wondering why she wanted to thank Hermione. “I was told that she saved me from Fenrir Greyback.”

“Yes, she did,” he replied as he remembered the incident from the final battle. Lavender seemed very different to him. She was quieter and somewhat reserved. “Hermione will be there tomorrow for the memorial service. You can talk to her then.”

“Why don’t you join us?” asked Dean. “You can wait for Ginny by the train the same as here.”

Harry smiled at the thoughts of what might be awaiting him on the other side of the barrier. “I want to meet her here. Thanks, just the same. Could you find a compartment and save Ginny and I seats? That would be fantastic, if you could do that for us?”

The other four looked at each other and nodded their heads in agreement. After they disappeared through the brick wall, Harry was left standing by himself on the platform. He was starting to get nervous. He thought Ginny would be here by now. He spent yesterday getting organized for this upcoming school year. He went to the Burrow for supper. She was still only half-way packed when he left for Grimmauld Place at ten last night.

He couldn’t help but laugh to himself as he reminisced about the times Ron, Hermione, the twins, Ginny, and himself would try to get packed up to go to Hogwarts. The Burrow must feel empty now that there is only Ginny and her parents banging around in the house.

He could have gone through with his friends, but he wanted to wait for her here. Not because he was sure that he would be mobbed on the other side of the barrier, but he wanted to meet her at this exact spot. She told him that she first fell in love with him here. The reason the statement impacted Harry so deeply was that Ginny had no idea who he was then. The fact that she liked him so much without knowing that he was Harry Potter eliminated a deep lingering question he always had. How would someone feel about him, if he wasn’t famous?

Finally, at ten minutes until eleven, a pretty redhead appeared out of the crowd. Ginny walked up to Harry and gave him a quizzical look. Mrs. Weasley, Charlie, Theresa, and Dimitri also stopped behind her and looked at him wondering why he was just standing there.

“Excuse me, could you tell me how to find platform nine and three quarters?” asked Harry. He smiled at Ginny when he asked the question.
She didn’t say anything. Her eyes became misty as she locked her arms around his neck and pulled him into a very passionate kiss. Her mother and brother stood there between embarrassment and shock clearing their throats.

Ginny released Harry and stared him in the eyes. “You remembered.”

“How could I forget the place where you first fell in love with me?” he whispered.

Harry grabbed her hand and they walked through the barrier together. As soon as they appeared on the other side, reporters and photographers assaulted them. Harry could feel Ginny pull back slightly in surprise, but he had suspected that something like this would be here. He had been avoiding the public eye most of the summer, and the desire to see him and report on his activities has been steadily growing.

Four members of the Ministry’s MLE division were ready for the madness and intercepted the reporters before they could surround Harry. He felt someone push him from behind and realized that they had stopped walking, so Mrs. Weasley and company were probably standing directly behind him. Ginny had recovered from her initial shock and pulled him forward so that they could push through the reporters and towards the train.

After pushing through the crowd, they emerged onto the platform by the front of the train. The MLE employees were keeping the mob retained so they couldn’t come onto the actual platform. As they walked away from the crowd, Harry got a devilish idea. He grabbed Ginny, swung her around in his arms, and kissed her as they spun on the spot. Camera flashes lit up the platform, as everyone was taking pictures of the scene. Harry placed her back onto her feet and continued to walk, but Ginny pulled back on his hand.

“Did you do that for publicity?” she hissed. She was glaring at him. It appeared to him that he had truly offended her.

“Ah — yes! I figured they have pictures of us f-fighting so why not s-snogging. I h-hope you don’t mind?” stuttered Harry.

Ginny looked at him before breaking into a wide smile. The next thing he knew she had grabbed his head and pulled him into a passionate kiss like the one on the other side of the barrier. Again, the air was filled with the sound of camera flashes, as all the photographers seemed to snapping pictures of the couple. Ginny pulled away from Harry and whispered to him. “That is how we snog, Harry. That other was way too overdone, dear.”

“Will you two stop that and get on the train,” ordered Mrs. Weasley.

Ginny turned to her mother and brother and hugged them goodbye, leaving her trunk with Harry. He said goodbye to Charlie, who was starting to tell Theresa and Dimitri stories about the Hogwarts express. Harry received one of Mrs. Weasley’s motherly hugs before grabbing Ginny’s trunk, stepping onto the train, and trying to find a compartment. Ginny took off in the other directions to attend to her Head Girl responsibilities.

As Harry walked through the train’s hallway, students turned and stared at him. The younger ones seemed intimidated by him. One first year boy almost jumped out of his trainers when Harry said, “excuse me” after the boy bumped into him.

Harry kept moving through the train until he found the compartment with Luna, Dean, Lavender and Seamus. He stepped inside and placed Ginny’s trunk in the overhead before sitting down. He thanked them for saving him and Ginny a seat. They asked if she had showed up, and he told them that was her trunk he had place in the overhead. When everyone looked at him, he explained that Kreacher, his House Elf, had taken his trunk to Hogwarts already.

After Harry had settled in and started to relax, he noticed Seamus was chuckling about something. He looked up and there at the windows were several younger students staring at them, or more precisely, at Harry. Either they didn’t care that he saw them, or they thought he couldn’t see them because of the glass.

Harry and everyone tried to ignore them. The train even started to move, but there were still people staring in at him. It wasn’t the same ones as before, but every time Harry glanced over at least five sets of eyes were staring at him.

He turned and bellowed at them. “Go away!” The ones at the window quickly disappeared, but soon more showed up.

“Has it always been like this?” asked Lavender.

“No. I haven’t always been this popular,” said Luna as she looked at Harry with a friendly smile, from behind the first post war edition of the Quibbler.

After everyone laughed at her statement, they relaxed and talked about the school and what it would look like. How the classes and dorms would be arranged now that there are eight years of Hogwarts’ students instead seven.

Harry told them that he was going back for Auror training. He also said that Neville had been offered a position as an Assistant Professor of Herbology, since Professor Sprout is now the Deputy Headmistress.

Harry had been enjoying the conversation in the compartment, but eventually he started to miss Ron and Hermione. He had laughed at Seamus’ jokes and Luna’s comments, but it wasn’t the same. There had always been a comfort level with Ron and Hermione that he doesn’t now feel. Maybe he missed their bickering, but whatever it was, Harry found himself sitting back and listening to the others rather than talking.

About an hour after the lunch trolley passed, they heard a commotion in the hallway. It sounded like several students were shoving someone down the hall.

“You don’t know him.”

“Yes I do! I was an original member of Dumbledore’s Army.”

“No way! You prat! You weren’t there last year. Here I think this is his compartment.”

Everyone in the compartment sat up and looked at each other when they heard “Dumbledore’s Army” mentioned. The group of students appeared in front of the doors. Four large students that Harry thought were either Ravenclaw’s or Hufflepuff’s were pushing the slight built Dennis Creavey in front of them. Harry stood up, pulled his wand out, and tapped it on the side of his leg. The four boys let go of Dennis and looked nervously at him.

“Hi Dennis!” stated Harry. The other boys suddenly seemed very nervous, as they stepped further away from Dennis. “We don’t like it when fellow Army members are getting pushed around.” Harry stated this in a threatening way to the four antagonists.

They looked at the Harry and his wand nervously tapping against his leg, and backed away from Dennis.

Harry politely said. “Dennis, please come in and have a seat.” As the young wizard walked into the compartment, his four antagonists scurried up the hallway and out of sight.

“Thanks Harry and the rest of you, too,” said Dennis. Everyone muttered a welcome and that it was no problem.

“Harry. Thank you for stopping by this summer and asking about Colin.” Everyone looked at Harry with puzzled expressions. “My dad really appreciated you dropping in. He almost didn’t want me to come back after Colin died, but you made him feel better about wizards. They thought it was nice that you wanted pictures of friends for a scrap book.” Harry’s face became a little pink with that last statement. “Well I should probably find another compartment...”

“No need, you can sit here. When we arrive, I’ll go with you to get your luggage,” offered Harry. “How does that sound?”

Dennis relaxed and started asking everyone how he or she had faired over the past year. The question had increased the tension in the compartment, but after Dean and Luna told their stories. Seamus and then finally Lavender also told about their experiences. Harry was sitting there thinking about what to do, when they all looked towards him with inquiring expressions. No one directly asked him to reveal his adventures from last year, but he could tell that they all were wanting to hear about it.

Harry told an abbreviated version of his adventures. He left out the mention of Horcruxes and Deathly Hallows but did include the escape from Malfoy Manor. He noticed Lavender blanched as he told about Bellatrix offering Hermione to Greyback after she was done torturing her.

He had finished and everyone was sitting there absorbing what he had said when Ginny walked in. She looked exhausted as she looked at Harry, and then saw Dennis sitting beside him. She made a bit of a face, which made Dennis fidget then start to stand up.

“No. Dennis sit down. I see a seat.” She walked over and sat on Harry’s lap, and laid her head on his shoulder. Harry shifted to accommodate her better. She curled up on his lap and seemed unusually quiet. She would talk to people, but she didn’t seem to be the boisterous girl from a few hours ago. She would often ignore what was going on inside of the compartment and look out the window at the passing scenery.

Harry had several times tried to whisper something to her, but she wouldn’t respond to his questions.

As the daylight faded, Ginny stood up to leave. She told everyone that she would see them at the feast, before walking out of the compartment door.

Harry jumped out of his seat and followed her. “Ginny, love, what is wrong?”

She looked away from him and didn’t respond.

Reaching out and gently turning her face towards him, he searched her eyes for answers. She looked so tired and frail. “What is bothering you?” he inquired.

“I am afraid,” she responded. “This will be the first time back. When we left so soon after the big celebration, I was happy because I didn’t want to be in that place any longer. Now, I have to return to the place where F-Fred d-died.”

He pulled her into a gentle hug and felt her lean her head against his shoulder. He had been feeling many of the same things as she had, but it had been different with him. He had been back to Hogwarts over the summer, while visiting Neville and Hagrid. He saw the castle on several occasions, but this is her first time back. The pain and nervousness of what possible memories are going to resurface must be agonizing for her.

“Harry, I need you to be strong for me,” she whispered into his chest.

He kissed her on the top of her head, as she pulled away from him. He didn’t say anything to her, because he would always be there for her. She smiled at him as she walked to the front of the train.

Harry went back into the compartment and waited for the train to pull into Hogsmeade station. When it did, everyone in the compartment jumped up and grabbed their luggage. Harry had grabbed Ginny’s and offered to go with Dennis to get his from the other compartment, when he heard Dean and Seamus sniggering. He turned around and realized they were laughing at him.

“What?”

“You two have been going out for what? Three months? She already has you trained to fetch her luggage. Harry Potter, Ginny Weasley’s House Elf,” teased Seamus, this caused everyone in the compartment to laugh, including Harry.

Everyone left the train, and they were filing into the carts pulled by Thestrals. Ginny had found Harry again, after leading the first years to Hagrid. She seemed to be more reserved and wanting strength and support from him.

“Merlin, is that them?” she whispered.

Harry looked at her and noticed that she was staring at the Thestrals. He looked up and noticed several other older students staring awestruck at the fronts of the carts. “Yeah, Ginny, that is what you rode to the Ministry. They might be spooky looking, but they are actually fairly tame,” assured Harry. He wrapped his arm around her and kissed her gently on the side of the head.

“I can see them now, because I-I’ve seen people die,” she said quietly. Her voice quavered as she spoke, and Harry could feel her pull in tighter to him.

“Yes, I am afraid so. Let’s go and find a cart, dear.” She allowed him to steer her towards the cart with Luna, Dean, Seamus, and Lavender. When she sat down, no one looked her way except Luna. Everyone else was still staring at the Thestrals.

“Isn’t this exciting? I wonder what they have done since the battle.” Luna stated this with excited curiosity, as the carts jerked forward. Ginny gripped Harry’s hand tightly when Luna said this. She wasn’t the only one to be dreading the return. Everyone had looks on their faces as if they were reliving that terrible night.

When the carts passed through the gates, he noticed that they were looking at various places that were now empty or repaired with grave expressions on their faces. Ginny pulled herself close to Harry again, and her grip on his hand was painful. She seemed to be fighting back tears. This was keeping Harry focused entirely on her, so that the gravity of the situation didn’t affect him as much. Supporting and comforting her was his sole purpose and mission, now. When they started to enter the castle, Ginny seemed to have regained some of her composure. She was able to walk holding Harry’s hand without nearly crushing it.

As they walked through the entrance hall and towards the great hall, Ginny stopped walking. She pulled back and wouldn’t enter it. Harry stood there and held her. He understood what she saw when she first looked into the hall. She saw Fred, Remus, and Tonks lying dead along with so many more. Many of the other older students were also hesitating before entering, but this seemed to be affecting Ginny more than the rest.

“Are you, alright Miss Weasley?” Professor McGonagall had seen their reaction to entering the great hall and walked to them from her seat at the head table, followed closely by Hagrid.

“I’ll — I’ll — be alright. It is just — just so hard seeing it again.” Ginny said this while fighting back tears. She was not alone; those who had fought in the battle had the same look on their face. Professor McGonagall told them she understood. She checked to make sure everyone was fine before returning to the head table.

Hagrid didn’t leave. He leaned down to look at her. “Ya all right there, Ginny?” he said with concern filling his voice.

“Yes, Hagrid, I have Harry with me,” she replied.

Hagrid looked at him then smiled at her and placed one of his huge hands gently on her shoulder covering it and Harry’s arm. He turned to look Harry in the eye, “Ya take good care of her, ‘arry,” he said, before returning to the head table.

Harry stood there holding Ginny slightly shocked at Hagrid’s comment. He looked at Ginny who had started to compose herself. He decided to ask her about Hagrid later. Every time he met Hagrid this summer, he would always ask about Ginny. He hadn’t thought anything about it before tonight, but now he was curious if Hagrid had always felt this way.

“I’m fine to go in,” said Ginny. She smiled at him and started to walk towards the Gryffindor table. The Great Hall seemed to be filled with more students than usual, since finding a seat at the table was difficult, and the first years hadn’t even been sorted yet. The only exception was the Slytherin table, where none of the students in Harry’s year had returned and it appeared that other years were sparsely represented.

Ginny’s composure returned as the evening progressed. The sorting ceremony finished with an inordinate number of students going to Gryffindor and very few going to Slytherin. The feast was wonderful as usual. Professor McGonagall gave a greeting to all students and told about the various events and activities happening tomorrow and the rest of the year.

She introduced the new professors to the students. Madam Zabini, Blaise’s mother, was the new Potions Professor and the new head of Slytherin. She was a very striking witch, tall, shapely with abundant dark hair complimenting her chocolate brown skin. No wonder she has had so many husbands, but then she is an expert at Potions. The new DADA professor was Zebulon Jones. He was a slight built man. A Percy Weasley with wire rimmed glasses and mousy brown hair. He looked like someone that should be behind a desk shuffling papers instead of fighting dark wizards. The Transfiguration professor was an American, named Willie Pratt. The entire student body sniggered at his name. The Head Mistress quickly quieted everyone with one of her cold steely stares. The students and other professors all gave the new members of the faculty a round of applause before they sat back down.

She said that with the large number of students attending this year, special arrangements would need to be made with the older students. No students who should have completed their seventh-year last year will be able to live at Hogwarts. Ginny turned and looked at Harry with disappointment in her eyes. They will be allowed to stay tonight if they already brought their trunks and possessions with them.

The students were dismissed, and everyone migrated to their common rooms. Ginny turned and started walking away from the Gryffindor crowd and Harry.

“Ginny, where are you going?” asked Harry after she had dropped his hand.
“I need to meet with Professor McGonagall,” she responded while tapping her Head Girl badge. “I’ll meet you in the common room later.” She kissed him lightly on the lips before walking briskly away.

Harry’s trunk was sitting in the Gryffindor common room. It appeared that he finally lost his four-poster bed. He sat down in the common room and waited for Ginny. He had friends there: Parvati, Lavender, Dean, Seamus, but the three most important Gryffindors were missing Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. He felt a little lonely in this crowded room, even though everyone was speaking to him. It was so different, almost as though he didn’t belong anymore. As if this wasn’t his home and refuge, like it had been for six years.

Several hours later, an exhausted Ginny had walked through the portrait hole. She looked emotionally and physically drained. Harry quietly walked over to her and gave her a hug. It was nearly two in the morning and he was the only one awake in the common room. The other students who didn’t have dormitory rooms were sleeping on camp beds in the common room. Therefore, he was trying to be as quiet as possible.

“Let’s sit down for a second, love,” he whispered.

“I’m so knackered, Harry. I might just go to bed,” she wearily replied to him.

He lifted her chin and kissed her goodnight. “Pleasant dreams, love.”

Harry watched her wearily plod up the stairs to the dormitories. He was concerned for her. She had never looked this tired and defeated before. It bothered him, because he had always looked at her as being so strong and confident. Harry took off his glasses and trainers and crawled into his camp bed with his clothes on. He laid there watching the fire embers glow and dance. He had just fallen to sleep when he felt someone staring at him. He opened his eyes to see the fuzzy outline of Ginny standing over top of him.

“Hi, I…I….don’t want to be alone,” Ginny whispered.

“Sure, crawl in.” Harry pulled back the blanket to her unasked request. She lay down beside him, buried her face in his chest, and started to sob. “Ginny what’s wrong?” he whispered in her ear. She didn’t answer but continued to silently sob. Her tears were soaking through Harry’s shirt. She was crying so hard that she shook the bed even though she did not make a sound.

Harry felt lost. He held her close to him and kissed the top of her head. He lay there hugging and trying to comfort her not sure what to do. He wondered how she could cry so hard and not make a single sound. Has she learned to do this so that no one else could hear her in the dorms or at home?

“Ginny, I am here for you,” he whispered. “I promise you! I’ll always be here for you from now on.” Harry barely finished saying this when she looked up at him.

“Thank you, that is so…” She never finished talking she pulled Harry’s face to hers and gave him a very salty kiss. She laid her head back on his chest. She was still crying, but not as violently.

Harry felt something that he had never felt before. A type of love that he never knew existed. It was almost like how he felt watching and caring for Teddy, but in a very different way. He realized that with Teddy his love was to help Teddy grow up and become his own person. With Ginny, his love was to help bring the two of them closer together. Forever! He realized that he didn’t need to be a hero. All that he needed to do was be kind, understanding, and supportive to her.

He moved his hands gently up and down the back of her nightshirt rubbing her back to comfort her. It wasn’t sensual in action but comforting. If it was possible, Ginny seemed to wiggle in closer to him. He had the women of his dreams in bed with him. He didn’t feel the desire to shag her, but he felt as if he couldn’t love her anymore if he tried.

She fell asleep with her head on his chest. Harry lay there until he finally fell asleep stoking her hair and enjoying the wonderful feeling that had formed in his heart.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The morning sunshine filled the common room with a golden glow. Harry opened his eyes to see the fuzzy outline of Ginny staring at him. Her fingers were tracing the contours of his face. She gently kissed him good morning.

“Thank you for being here for me. You are so wonderful,” she whispered to him, as she gave him his glasses. “We have an audience.”

He looked around the common room and there were several students sitting staring at the two of them. Most were nervous first years, a smattering of older students, and Dennis Creavey. It appeared he was keeping the others at a distance from Harry and Ginny.

“I need to get up and get ready for this big day. Love you!” he said. He threw back the bed sheets and stood up. He heard several gasps by the girls in the room, until they saw he was still fully clothed.

Ginny stood up and walked past the giggling students to her dorm room. He collected his dress robes and the clothes that he will need for the day before departing for the Prefects bathroom. The students without dorm rooms were given passwords so they could get showered and dressed this morning.

When he returned from the Prefect’s bathroom, he met Professor McGonagall outside of the portrait hole. She gave him a very stern look as she walked by him. He entered the common room to find a sheepish looking Ginny.

“Evidently she found out about last night’s sleeping arrangements.” Ginny said solemnly. “She told me that as Head Girl I’m to set a good example. She took ten points from Gryffindor.” Harry gasped and started to apologize. “That’s alright! I really needed you to help me through the night.” She gave Harry a smile that told him it was all right.

Harry packed up his things and left them for Kreacher to take back to his house. Taking Ginny’s hand, they left for the great hall and breakfast.
Ginny seemed to have made peace with her memories so that she was able to enter the hall without hesitating. They sat down at the Gryffindor table to have some breakfast. He noticed many people staring at them and whispering to each other. He forgot how fast rumors and gossip moved through the school.

Ron and Hermione showed up at eight-thirty followed closely by the rest of the Weasley family. They all hesitated when entering the hall. Mrs. Weasley walked in only briefly to hug Ginny and Harry good morning before leaving again. The four of them sat there in silence unable to think of anything appropriate to say. Neville, Seamus, Dean, the Patil twins, Luna, and the rest of Dumbledore’s Army regardless of House affiliation, joined them. They all seemed to be at a loss for words as the memories of what had happened here weighed on them.

At nine o’clock Kingsley came into the hall to get Harry. The rest of the guests were told to leave for the ceremonies, as the students would need to get organized. Harry followed Kingsley out the front doors of the castle down to Dumbledore’s tomb. He noticed that two tall pillars of white marble were placed on each side of the tomb. There was a platform and a podium erected twenty meters to the right of the monuments with chairs arranged in front of it.

“You will be sitting up there with the other speakers Harry.” Kingsley indicated the platform. Harry looked over and saw where the Weasley’s sat with Theresa and the rest of Charlie’s friends. He waved to them before stepping up onto the platform and sitting in his assigned seat.

Harry watched from his seat the various guests entering from the main entrance. The other students from his year were leaving the castle and finding seats among the guest seating. He enjoyed seeing that all the members of Dumbledore’s Army sat together with Neville.

All the seats for guests were quickly filled, and more people were still arriving. The sight of Centaurs leaving the forest caused many of the guests to shift nervously in their seats. Grawp’s arrival caused even more of them to fidget. Finally, the students filed out of the school. Harry could see Ginny’s red hair at front. When they sat down, she was sitting close enough that Harry could see her wink at him. All the speakers had finally sat down on the platform. The crowd had become so large that there were probably a hundred witches and wizards standing, the students from Hogwarts, and another five hundred filled the guest section.

Kingsley walked up to the podium and welcomed all to this dedication and memorial service. He spoke about sacrifice, dedication, and loyalty. He asked all people to put the past behind them and move forward in peace and cooperation. After Kingsley sat down several distinguished leaders of the Wizangamot spoke for what seemed like hours each. They would drone on about the historical ramifications of this great and noble event. It seemed, as though, these wizards had Professor Binns write their speeches. Harry looked out several times at Ginny who would mime a yawn. He quickly turned away so that he didn’t start laughing during such a somber and historic event.

After the distinguished leaders had finally finished speaking, Harry was introduced as the hero of the war against The Dark Lord. He walked up to the podium and looked out on the sight of the crowd before him. It was a magnificent morning. The golden sun was shining off Hogwarts towers. The grass was a deep verdant green, and the air had a sweet smell of summer to it.

“It is…,” he started to say. Suddenly the memories of that night came crashing down on him. He saw the lawn not filled with chairs and people celebrating, but bodies of the dead and wounded. He saw Neville and Oliver carrying the body of Colin. Tears filled his eyes and his mouth didn’t seem to want to work.

“It is — with great — great — difficulty that — that I stand before — y-you and talk about the memory of the battle….” He stopped talking and tried to wipe the tears from his face. “…the battle and the war against Voldemort. The pain of all who died and were injured here and around our community is still fresh in my memory.” He tried looking away from the crowd. He looked up to the castle to the first place that he felt he belonged. However, the memory of Dumbledore lying at the bottom of the Astronomy Tower filled his mind. A loud sob escaped him, as he looked down at the podium to regain his composure and control his tears.

“Many will talk about noble deeds — and — fighting for the greater good, but — t-that is not why I think many fought.” His voice quavered as the remorse shook him. “It was for love — love of family and friends. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to sacrifice themselves for the greater good...” He stopped speaking and looked out at Ginny and then at the Weasley’s. “...but to save a loved one.” He stopped talking again as he took a deep breath. “That! I can understand. We, as the surviving loved ones, must never forget those who suffered and died for us.

“Many people refer to me as the hero. This war had no single hero,” he stressed. “No righteous cause can, because all righteous causes must be won by all. If it isn’t then it is just one man’s victory. This victory belongs to the entire magical community, not me.

“I would like to close by saying thank you. Thank you to those of you who fought against Voldemort and the Death Eaters in some way.” He took a deep breath and was finally able to control his tears. “Whether you were here or at home protecting your family and neighbors, you helped win this war. Thank you to the Centaurs and house elves. Thank you, Grawp. Thank you to all who died for giving the ultimate sacrifice to protect us.”

Harry staggered back to his seat and sat down while wiping the remainder of tears from his face. He felt embarrassed that he couldn’t control his emotions. The next speaker stood up and started to recite the names of all who fought at Hogwarts. As he read the names, the people were to stand up. After the speaker finished, Harry looked around and Ginny and Luna were the only two students not in Harry’s year standing. All the other students were staring at them. The speaker told them that they have
all received a special award from the ministry called The Order of the Phoenix. Harry turned and smiled at Kingsley when he heard this.

The speaker next read off the names of the deceased. He looked at Ginny when Fred’s name was mentioned. She was teary but kept her composure. Many people were surprised when Severus Snape’s name was mentioned. They were all given Order of Merlin’s Third Class.

Finally, the speaker asked that the following people please come to the main stage. He called up Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Professor McGonagall. They were recognized for their outstanding contributions to the defeat of the Dark Lord. They were all rewarded with the Order of Merlin First Class. As Kingsley pinned the golden pin on everyone’s robes, the entire audience stood up and applauded. The speaker announced that everyone was invited to inspect the monuments. The repairs to the castle and enjoy a special buffet brunch prepared by the Hogwarts kitchens. Harry was sure he heard Hermione mutter something about slave labor.

When the ceremony finished, reporters and photographers surrounded everyone on the platform. They appeared so fast that Harry thought they must have Apparated there. They were asking for personal interviews and comments about what they did and saw. They formed a human wall around the five of them. No one could escape from these pests.

“Harry! Harry, dear. It’s Rita Skeeter. Your old friend. Let’s Talk!”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione stopped and stared at her audacity to call Harry an “old friend”.

“Rita, you are right.” Ron and Hermione turned to look at Harry when he said this. “Not about us being friends, but you are old.” Harry couldn’t tell who laughed louder his friends or the other reporters. She stood there dumbfounded by his insult. “Now why don’t you and all your associates leave us alone!” he shouted at them. “We have already told the Wizangamot about what happened last year. Talk to them about it!”

Harry turned to look for a way out of this phalanx of questioners, when Ginny suddenly appeared at his side. She had somehow fought her way through the throng. Professor McGonagall started to shout at them to move aside when a great commotion erupted causing them all to leave.

“Ya ‘eard the ‘eadmistress get the bloody ‘ell out of ‘ere!” Hagrid yelled as he walked through the crowd pushing people out of the way to let his friends get out. The reporters finally got the message and left to find someone else to annoy.

Hagrid pulled Harry into a bone-crushing hug. “That wuz a wunderful speech ya made ‘arry. Wunderful.” He hugged Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Ginny. He looked at Professor McGonagall. “Sorry, ‘eadmistress I guess I got carried away.”

“That’s fine Hagrid. Thank you for dispersing those irritating people.” She gave him a warm smile, before leaving to go to the castle.

Hagrid stood there and asked Ron and Hermione how they are doing. He was happy to hear that they were engaged. He picked them both up at once to hug them. Hagrid left saying something about getting his brother back home.

Ron stated that he was hungry and wanted to go up to the buffet. Harry wanted to go to see the memorials. Neville, Hermione, and Ginny also wanted to look at the monuments. The five of them started to walk over towards the monuments, but the crowds were twenty people deep around them.

“I’m hungry. Why don’t we go and get something to eat then come back down?” Ron moaned. The problem was that the crowds around the food were even larger than the monument.

“Kreacher” Harry said hoping for some help from the House Elf.

“Yes, Master and Mistress” Kreature appeared suddenly and bowed to both Harry and Ginny. Ginny blushed at being called mistress.

“Kreacher, I am not your mistress.” Ginny said, while enjoying that the house elf recognized her as Harry’s wife.

“Maybe not yet, but soon,” he croaked softly. Ginny turned a deeper shade of pink when Kreacher said this with a smile.

“Kreacher, could you bring us some sandwiches and pumpkin juice?” asked Harry courteously. “We are hungry and don’t want to fight that crowd.” Hermione glared at Harry for asking the House Elf to do this.

“Kreacher will be happy to, Master.” He disappeared with a pop.

“Harry, I don’t believe you are so lazy as to force him to bring food to you so you don’t have to walk up the hill…” Hermione never finished her rant because suddenly there were six House Elves each with a tray full of food and drinks for them.

“This is Kreacher’s master you should not be here,” shouted Kreature at the other House Elves. “Master, Kreacher is sorry. When I said that I was getting food for Harry Potter and his friends, they all insisted on coming along.”

“That is fine Kreacher. Thank you very much for bringing the food. You are a wonderful servant. Thank you.” Kreacher beamed with pride when Harry said this to him. Everyone else thanked the House Elves as they took food from the various trays. Finally, when everyone had something to eat and drink the Elves returned to the kitchen.

“Hermione, to a House Elf a compliment is more valuable than gold,” laughed Harry. “Good luck trying to get them to accept pay.”

“Yes, but many of the families would rather pay them than compliment them, Harry.” Harry looked at his friend and nodded his head in agreement.

The crowds were thinning around the monuments. Harry noticed a group of redheads standing by the one monument. They went over to see how everyone was feeling.

One monument had the names of all the people who had fought at Hogwarts. The other monument had the names of the people who had died fighting Voldemort. Mrs. Weasley and George were kneeling and crying, while looking at Fred’s name. Everyone else had gathered around them to support them. Harry and Ginny joined the group offering support. Harry started looking for Remus and Tonks’ names. As he scanned the monument, two names stuck out to him. James and Lily Potter were also listed. He looked around and noticed other names. Sirius Black, Alastor Moody, all the Bones’s, Fabian and Gideon Prewett, and McKinnons were all there.

Mrs. Weasley and George stood up and everyone started walking to the other monument. They looked to see the long list of Weasley’s that fought; ten when you include Fleur.

“Hello Harry, that was a nice speech,” stated a voice from behind him. He turned away from the monument and saw Carmen standing there. At first, he didn’t recognize her. She was wearing her old Beauxbaton’s silk dress robes. Her hair wasn’t in a plait but hung freely about her face and shoulders. She was quite beautiful in the silk clothes and her hair like that he thought.

“H-Hi, Carmen, are you here for the service or just the start of training?” stammered Harry.

“I came with Hagrid for the service. Madame Maxime was right. He is a very charming man.” When she mentioned Madame Maxime, Fleur turned her head to look. Upon seeing Carmen, Fleur seemed turn on her Veela charms. She seemed to glow with sexuality and clung very tight to Bill’s arm.

Fleur and Carmen immediately started to talk in French. They conversed rapidly; the rest of the Weasley’s turned to see who this person was speaking to Fleur. Harry noticed everyone gave Carmen a once over with their eyes. Ron and George’s gaze, however, lingered on her chest. She had grown since she was at school. The fabric across her chest was looking very strained.

“Fleur, it is rude to talk without anyone else being able to understand. Besides, I came down here to talk to Harry about the Auror training. Did you hear that we are going to be study partners?” she said with great enthusiasm. “I am so pleased. After all the things, I’ve heard about you from Hagrid. I could use your expertise in dueling and Defense Against the Dark Arts.”

Harry looked a little embarrassed when she said this, and he noticed Ginny seemed to be clearing her throat. “Ah — no — that’s great. I should introduce my friends to you,” he nervously replied. “I guess I — um — should’ve done that earlier.”

“Oh, I think I know everyone here from Hagrid’s descriptions, and also you were all introduced earlier.” She proceeded to introduce herself to everyone and she had everyone’s name correct. “You are Ginny; Harry’s girlfriend. Hagrid told me how pretty and brave you are.” Ginny seemed to become increasingly irritated at her last statement. “I should be getting back to the castle and get ready for our first meeting today. It is one-thirty. Am I correct, Harry?”

“Yea, I think that’s the time, see you then,” replied a nervous Harry.

Carmen waved at everyone then turned and walked away while George and Ron watched intently with glazed over eyes.

George leaned over and whispered something in Ron’s ear, which made his face become pink. Harry heard Hermione huff “men” before she took off at a fast pace towards the main gate with her fists clenched. Ron stood there and stared at Carmen walking away until his mother slapped his shoulder and pointed towards Hermione, who was almost to the front gate. He quickly snapped out of his trance and chased after her.

“Zat Carmeen, she ‘az always been a ‘omewrecker,” snorted Fleur as she kissed Bill’s cheek.

“I think it was strange that she was so excited to be your study partner Harry. I mean she hardly knows you. Is that correct?” questioned Ginny.

“Yes. I guess. We talked occasionally the day when we were taking the preliminary tests, and then I took her to dinner...”

“YOU DID WHAT?” snapped Ginny. Harry could feel everyone’s eyes on him.

“Kingsley wanted me to take her to the Three Broomsticks to meet Hagrid,” pleaded Harry.

“Oh really!” Ginny’s voice became sharp and accusing. “You spent almost the entire day talking to each other. That is very interesting. Why is it that Hagrid was the one that told her I WAS YOUR GIRLFRIEND?” Ginny shouted the last four words before she took off toward the castle.

“Ginny, she knew about you. Hagrid was the one that spoke about you the most,” shouted Harry.

Ginny stopped and turned towards Harry with a look that could kill. “That is supposed to make me feel better?” She yelled back at him before walking towards the castle again.

Harry started to follow Ginny, and as he walked away from the Weasley’s he could hear George say. “There goes Harry Potter the Gormless One.”
Reviews 138
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear