Search:

SIYE Time:7:33 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Return of an Alpha
By Miz636

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama
Warnings: Death, Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 409
Summary: For three years, Harry has been Becoming Alpha of Hogwarts. Now another Alpha is returning, bringing with him darkness, chaos, and battle. Watch as sides line up for war, and people and society change.
Hitcount: Story Total: 169569; Chapter Total: 4100





Author's Notes:
Okay, as I've said twice before, now, I'm going out of town (Washington DC, here I come!) until the 4th of July, so there will NOT be a chapter next Sunday, which is why I posted Wednesday as well. This is a one time thing, so don't expect extra updates until I'm further into the third story compared to where I am. Also, as another note, I most likely will not be replying to most reviews for even this chapter, though I will try to when I find time. It is a fact that I will not be replying to any reviews while in Canada for a month unless there's a question I truly feel needs answering, and even PMs will take some time to answer and might not get a reply if I don't feel it needs an immediate answer. Still, feel free to ask questions and PM me - it just might take a day or two for me to reply. Here on SIYE, I'll probably reply when I get home from Canada, eventually, but you'll be waiting for a long while to get most replies.

Thank you all for all the amazing reviews you've left me so far. They're amazing, and I truly appreciate them.

Please, read, enjoy, and review! I'll see you all in two weeks.

Thanks to Arnel for the amazing Beta job on this chapter with your additions.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Twelve


“This is how much we’ve done,” McGonagall said as she let Harry, Ginny, and Tracey into the room, showing them all the rooms they had built so far.

“It’s amazing, Professor,” Ginny said, some awe in her voice as they all looked around at their designs coming to life. “Just how we imagined it.”

“If you’d like, this room is ready for you to work on,” McGonagall told them, gesturing to the room between the restrooms.

“Can we be alone while we work on this, Professor?” Harry asked, looking at the door.

“Of course.” McGonagall left the room.

“Do you have the books, Harry?” Tracey asked, and Harry reached into his bag.

“Of course,” he said, pretending to be insulted as he pulled out a small pile of books.

“Oh don’t use that on me, Harry,” Tracey snapped playfully.

They all sat down in the middle of the room they were to build together. Ginny took the book of notes that had been made for her to use so that she could decorate the room because she couldn’t read or understand the charms Harry and Tracey would be using as they were from the Journal book from Samuel . Harry pulled out the book on their notes while Tracey pulled out her father’s book.

“This charm is going to go on the door so that no one who hasn’t owned a Journal at some point can get in, right?” Harry asked, showing Tracey the charm, and she nodded.

“That charm is going to be used so that anyone who lost their Journal because of a change of thought can’t get in or even remember the room,” Tracey reminded him, pointing to another.

“And this one will make sure no one else can even see the door without at least knowing about the Journals,” Harry finished as he stood up with the book and went outside the room to begin charming the door.

After casting those three charms, Harry went back inside to see Ginny making four of the five walls of the pentagon-shaped room a different color. There was one wall for each House while the one with the door would be black for Hogwarts. This room was to be a special room for those using the Journals, and it would show that all of the Houses were united.

“Nice one,” Harry commented as Ginny put the Slytherin and Gryffindor walls side-by-side. “A good way to show how it’s different from how it used to be.”

Ginny just smiled and nodded in thanks before going back to painting the green, red, blue, and yellow with her wand. Then she transfigured curtains out of some paper Harry and Tracey had found for the spell so that each wall had curtains of the secondary colors for each House right by the ceiling but against the wall.

Tracey reached into her own bag and pulled out the shrunken furniture she and Harry had ordered for the room, though she also had the stuff for the other rooms just in case they were ready for it.

Harry finally went back to the books and began looking for more of the charms they had prepared. He and Tracey were going to charm a few cabinets to hold the Journals for future years, and they were also going to make more of the Journals.

When Ginny was finally done, Tracey enlarged the furniture. The three of them worked together to push a cabinet against each wall. While Tracey began charming the cabinets to have more space than they seemed to as well as to only be accessed by the leader of that specific House--the leader of leaders being the exception--Harry and Ginny slowly but surely charmed the floor to be wood instead of stone, putting a charm on it so that nothing would affect it.

They all finished at about the same time. Harry then pulled from his bag the new black Journals which he and Tracy had been keeping safe in his trunk. He gave Ginny the ones for Gryffindor while Tracy took the Slytherin ones. They immediately put the leader Journals on the top shelf of each cabinet and arranged the rest – the normal black Journals – on the lower shelves. Harry took charge of the Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw Journals, putting them away just as carefully. The three of them were happy that Tracey had charmed the cabinets the way she had because otherwise all the new Journals wouldn’t have fit inside .

“Come on,” he finally said as they looked around the room at their work. “Let’s go put some of the furniture away in the other room and decorate it a bit before Tracey and I go back to the dorms to take a nap before the Tuesday night Astronomy lesson. Plus, Draco and Theo are still upset by Moody’s class earlier today. We need to see how they are, too.”

The two girls nodded, Ginny having been filled in on the lesson earlier, and they set off to work.



“Where have you three been disappearing to lately?” Theo asked at breakfast the next morning.

“Yeah, you lot disappeared last night after dinner,” Hermione added as she looked up from her Arithmancy book.

“Do you really think we’re going to tell you where we’ve been?” Ginny asked with a raised eyebrow and a smirk.

“We can hope, can’t we?” Draco asked as he sat down next to Theo, obviously having been listening as he walked over.

“Doesn’t mean it’ll happen,” Harry said as he reached for the pumpkin juice and poured himself some more before offering to fill Ginny’s glass.

“Will you tell us?” Padma asked, and Harry looked at the two girls with a raised eyebrow. Tracey raised both her eyebrows while Ginny’s went down, making Harry roll his eyes before giving Ginny a look.

“We’ve been talking to McGonagall,” she said with a sigh as Harry’s look obviously made her realize that she had lost.

“And Snape, never forget Snape,” Harry added with a slight smirk.

“Oh yes, and Professor Snape,” Ginny agreed with a nod. At the shocked looks on the others’ faces, all three just raised their eyebrows, waiting for a response.

“Why are you meeting with them?” Draco got out after about a minute of shocked silence.

“That we’re not telling you,” Harry stated with a smile, and this time the trio couldn’t hold in their laughter at the looks on their friends’ faces at this declaration.

“I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again: You three are evil,” Theo muttered.

“Thank you,” all three said at once, and the others groaned as the three smiled brightly, taking that as a compliment.



“It ’s done,” Ginny sighed as she collapsed onto one of the burgundy couches in the main room after all three of them had put the finishing touches on the rooms.

“This is an amazing set of rooms,” Professor Dumbledore commented as he looked around the rooms he had helped originally make while the three students had set the rest up.

“Thanks, Professor,” Harry said for them as he sat down next to Ginny, also a bit tired after putting so many books on shelves. Sirius had just sent them this morning, so it had taken over an hour to put them in the correct places after charming them so that they couldn’t leave the specific rooms.

“Your designs were very detailed and quite amazing,” Professor Flitwick squeaked as he slid his wand away into his robe. “Quite a lot of information in how to make the room look, what to have in each, and what charms needed to be on each part of the rooms.”

“We felt it would help you agree to help us,” Harry said, blushing slightly at their praise.

“Yours and Ms. Davis’s idea, I gather?” Professor Snape said with a raised eyebrow, and both of them nodded.

“I believe you’ve each earned a hundred points for your Houses with all of the work you’ve put into this,” Professor Dumbledore said, and all three of the students looked at him in shock, but the others were nodding in agreement.

“This is a wonderful way to make the Houses even closer,” Professor McGonagall agreed. “And when the other schools get here, these rooms can help all of the students get closer between the schools.”

“Quite true,” Professor Sprout said with a nod.

“I believe we shall leave the naming of these rooms up to you,” Professor Dumbledore concluded with a smile, and the three shared surprised looks. None of them had even thought about what to use for a name.

“Thanks, Professor,” Harry said, and the Headmaster nodded.

“I believe our job is done here,” Snape said for the teachers, and they all commended the two Slytherins and single Gryffindor on their way out.

“We didn’t even think about a name for this place,” Tracey commented as the door closed and she sat down on an armchair across from Harry and Ginny’s couch.

“What in Merlin’s name can we call this place?” Harry groaned, putting his head in his hands.

“Do we want the name to having meaning?” Ginny asked.

“Of course,” Tracey replied, and Harry nodded into his hands.

“Why not call it The Den?” Ginny suggested, and Harry lifted his head from his hands to look up at her in confusion. “You’re a wolf, and wolves live in dens, so why don’t we call it The Den?”

“That’s an idea,” he admitted, “but it won’t mean much to anyone outside of those who know about the Animagus training.”

“Actually…” Tracey began, and the two of them looked at her. “Den is another name for a living room .”

“How in the world do you know that?” Harry asked her, his mouth a bit open in shock as he hadn’t even known that.

“I’ve told you about how my parents used to take me to different parts of the world, right?” she asked him, and he nodded because she had once told him about it. “Well, when I was about nine, they took me to America . It turns out that den is another name for living room. I remember it because it was odd and caught my attention. It’s a bit informal and isn’t used everywhere, but it is used.”

“A name with double meaning,” Harry said with an amused smirk that Ginny shared with him. “I like it. The Den, meaning living room for everyone, and having the second meaning of where wolves live for those who know of our training.”

Harry stood up and went out of the room to the doorway outside, above which a large piece of wood stood for a sign. Pulling out his wand, he carefully, using a spell to make it look really neat, carved The Den into the wood. Going back inside, he did it again on another sign hanging on the wall on the yellow Hufflepuff wall right across from the door.

“We’re done,” he sighed, and the three of them shared proud smiles, looking around at their hard work.

“It’s worth all the work and having to evade the others,” Ginny stated as Harry sat down again, and he nodded.

“When are the first years going to be ready?” Tracey asked, knowing that Harry and Ginny would know better, being leaders and talking with the others on the Journals more than she did, especially Harry.

“Saturday,” Harry replied, and Tracey nodded. Saturday would be the day after tomorrow as it was Thursday.

“I think we should have Dumbledore announce this room tomorrow,” Ginny said suddenly, and Harry and Tracey looked up at her, a bit shocked. “What? It’s done and ready to go. It’ll be easier getting those with Journals into the room if they’ve all been introduced, and it’ll stop the others from questioning us anymore. Plus, we all know that the weekend is when Hermione questions us more than any other time, and she’ll never give up until she knows everything she can.”

Harry sighed as he knew she was right about Hermione. The bushy-haired Gryffindor hadn’t gotten off their case in the whole time they had been working on the room. Almost every meal their whereabouts when they all disappeared was brought up, and she was relentless whenever she was with even one of them on the weekends. It was lucky they all had been expecting it and weren’t caught unawares.

“Fine, tell him, please?” he sighed, but Ginny gave him a look that obviously said you’re the leader so you’re telling him. “Okay, I’ll tell him,” he groaned, and Ginny smirked at him slightly. “But you get to deal with Hermione tomorrow instead of Tracey and me.”

Ginny groaned, but nodded, and Harry knew she had realized it was only fair. If he had to talk to the Headmaster yet again, she had to deal with the girl who would be annoying them to death the next day.

“Well, I’m glad that’s settled,” Tracey said cheerfully as she clapped her hands together. “Can I get out of here before you two start flirting again?”

Before Tracey could react, both Harry and Ginny transformed into their Animagus forms, jumping on her and knocking her to the ground before she could change into her smaller cat form.

It was quite normal for this to happen when Harry and Ginny as a couple were brought up, so Tracey just let them win until they got bored of attacking her and started wrestling with one another. Harry knew from watching his friends that they were just waiting to see how long it would take them to get together, and he was driving them all up the wall by pretending to be ignorant.

He and Ginny agree that it was one of the most amusing things to watch.



“Never again,” Ginny said groaned as she almost threw her school bag onto the ground by Harry’s and flung herself onto the bench beside him.

Harry and Tracey chuckled slightly before giving her sympathetic looks. All three of them had taken turns on Hermione-Duty, which was the one thing none of them wanted. One of them would make sure Hermione knew who to question that day, and the whole day was spent keeping Hermione from finding out about The Den. In fact, if it wasn’t for the Maps and Harry’s Invisibility Cloak, they would have been found out long ago.

“Why can’t you just tell me what you’ve been up to?” Hermione asked as she carefully placed her bag on the ground and sat down across from Harry, who had one girl on either side of him, though she was looking at Ginny.

Tracey looked at Harry, who looked at Ginny. Ginny glared at him with a desperate look in her eyes that said she was out of ideas on how to stop Hermione. This was reasonable as they had been going at it for weeks now, and it had been an entire day now. He sighed and nodded slightly to let her know he would make her shut up for the meal. Ginny sighed in relief at thanked him with her eyes, though she knew she would have to do it properly later or Harry would make sure she regretted it in some way.

“If we told you, it would ruin the surprise,” Harry commented dryly, carefully grabbing a drumstick and taking a bite of it.

“The surprise?” Hermione asked, looking at him in shock.

“What, did you t hink the reason we’ve been disappearing is because Ginny and I are secretly snogging and managed to turn Tracey against you by having her keep lookout for us so that none of you could find out?” he asked, internally smirking as that had become the most-used guess among everyone with a Colored Journal and much of the Journal group.

Around them, anyone within hearing distance suddenly turned away and began conversations, reading, doing homework, or eating their dinners so that it wouldn’t seem like they were paying attention.

Next to him, both girls looked up at Harry in a bit of shock, though Harry was looking at Ginny with a raised eyebrow. Her face showed shock, and her eyes were asking if that was actually the rumor, so he nodded slightly. Brown eyes turned hard as the redhead turned her head slowly to glare at their friends, whether they had black Journals or Colored Journals.

Before another word could be said, Professor Dumbledore stood, silencing the entire Hall immediately. He looked around at the students in the Hall, all of whom had realized that this was an unusual announcement as the Headmaster usually said something at the beginning or end of dinner, not in the middle. The three who knew what this was about continued to eat their meals while looking up at him, catching his eyes with small smiles.

“For the past few weeks, many Professors, three students, and I have been working on a set of rooms on the third floor,” he began, his eyes twinkling. “The three students brought an idea to their Heads of House, and in turn, it was brought to me. It did not take long for the entire staff to agree to help the students create their well-designed area in the school. As of last night, the rooms are completed, furnished, and filled with supplies.”

Dumbledore caught Harry’s eyes, and the Slytherin nodded ever-so-slightly, putting his dinner down and turning to show Dumbledore that he was ready to explain.

“Now, many of you are probably wondering what is in these rooms. Instead of explaining myself, Mr. Harry Potter has agreed to explain what the rooms are for.”

As Dumbledore sat down, Harry stood up and walked to the Head Table, standing in front of it with his hands behind his back as he looked around the Hall. His closest friends were looking at him in shock, those with Journals were a bit amazed, and those without Journals were skeptical. Ginny and Tracey were trying to hold in their laughter.

“Many of my friends have been wondering for weeks why Tracey Davis, Ginny Weasley, and I have not been around quite a lot,” he began with a wry smile that had much of the Hall blushing and looking embarrassed. “The three of us came up with an idea that the professors agreed to.

“You see, we realized that there’s really no place for us all to hang out except outside or in our Common Rooms. Now, outside is great until it’s winter or when it’s soggy and disgusting outside. The Common Rooms are fine as well, except many people don’t want other Houses in their Common Rooms and there isn’t a lot of space in them.

“The three of us came up with the idea of a series of rooms with one main room that anyone could hang out in. We call these rooms ‘The Den.’ Attached to the main room of the Den is a hallway that has a bunch of small study rooms with the normal textbooks for each year along with other resources. They also have muffling charms on them so that it’s quiet in the rooms, but one can still hear in case something is happening in the other rooms.

“There are also rooms made specifically for practicing spells. They have targets, dummies, pillows, and anything else one may need for Transfiguration, Charms, or Defense class.

“In the main room, there is a cabinet with all sorts of games, both Wizarding and Muggle, and another has food and drink, though there is no alcohol allowed in the rooms. More couches than I wish to admit are in the main room along with many large and small tables and armchairs, all for reading, talking, doing homework, and just hanging out in it. There are many fireplaces, both in the walls and in the middle of the room.

“The Den is for us to interact in, including those older than my friends. Nothing in the Den can be removed from the rooms they are currently in except for food and drink. Just remember that these rooms are not the Common Rooms, so being in them after curfew is the same as being out of a Common Room.

“After dinner, Ginny, Tracey, and I will be leading anyone who wishes to see the Den to it. If you wish to see it, just wait until we’re all done eating, and you can join us. Remember, the Den is for all the Houses, so not a single House is above the others in how we decorated.”

Harry turned, nodded to the professors, and walked back to his seat, sitting down and sighing deeply in relief, glad that that was over. The girls put hands on his arms to show their support, but Dumbledore stood up again before anyone could say anything to them, though there was a lot of whispering around the Hall.

“Thank you, Mr. Potter,” he said, nodding at Harry, who returned the favor. “Teachers may go to the Den for the first few weeks to be sure everyone is behaving appropriately, but Prefects are still in charge in these rooms. I hope you find the Den to your liking as, if I do say so myself, they are quite spectacular. Please, enjoy the rest of your meals.”

“Okay, what is this about?” Hermione demanded before Dumbledore could even sit down, but Harry, Ginny, and Tracey just picked up their forks and continued to eat, not saying a single word.

“Just give it up, Hermione,” Theo advised her. “When these two are in this sort of mood, it’s impossible to get anything out of them, and Ginny is just the same from what I’ve seen.”

Hermione sighed, but everyone left the trio alone as they ate their meals. Around them, everyone was standing up or looking over at them, waiting for them to finish.

Think we should eat slower just to annoy them?” Harry hissed to Ginny in amusement as he caught sight of some Ravenclaw seventh years standing up to look at them yet again.

Normally I’d say yes, but our closest friends would kill us,” she replied.

True,” Harry sighed with a hiss, glancing at his friends, all of whom were done and waiting quite impatiently.

“Will you hurry up already?” Theo demanded. The three shared looks before shaking their heads and eating some more.

“That was stupid of you, Theo,” Draco commented. “We all know that annoying these three makes them do the opposite of what we want,” he elaborated when the others looked at him in surprise, and everyone groaned.

“Think we’ve tortured them enough?” Harry whispered to the girls as their friends began talking, and they both nodded.

Putting his fork and knife down, Harry drained his goblet before grabbing his bag, slinging it over his head as he stood up. Around him, everyone else began standing up, relief obvious on their faces as people grabbed bags and moved so that the three of them could get out of the Hall in front.

Snickering in amusement, Harry led the group out of the Hall, Ginny on his right and Tracey on his left, everyone else behind them. They walked up to the third floor and to The Den quickly, knowing no one would get lost as The Den wasn’t hard to find.

Entering the room, Harry looked around it with pride.

The main room had four walls, each one a different House color. Along the walls were bookshelves full of books, some school and some novels, both Wizarding and Muggle.

In the center of the room were a few large, square tables. Around the square tables were smaller, rectangular tables. All of them were for studying. At the edges of the room were small two- or four-person tables made for games like chess and cards. Between the tables for studying and the tables for games were groups of couches and armchairs as well as a few loveseats, firepits in the middle of them.

The firepits in the room along with the fireplaces were charmed so that nothing more than a sheet of parchment could touch the flames, and no person could accidentally be burned.

Looking towards his right, Harry saw five doors. The one near the corner that was the farthest away from the entrance was a cabinet full of games while the one in the corner closest to the main door led to a small room where the House-elves left snacks and drinks for the students to take from at any time.

The doors next to those two were restrooms while the one between the restrooms was only visible to anyone with a Journal. It had taken a few days to find that specific charm, as it was the room Harry, Tracey, and Ginny had made themselves.

Harry poked Tracey slightly and nodded at the door. She nodded, and when he looked a few moments later, she was leaning against the door, her arms across her chest and a small smile on her face as she watched the students look around.

On the left side of the room from the entrance, there were ten doors. Harry knew that if the students looked in them they would find long rooms with a target on the opposite wall along with anything else needed to practice spells for classes. The rooms had been charmed to absorb magic and protect the occupants from spells.

Under the sign on the opposite wall was a doorway that led into a hallway. The doors leading off from it were study rooms with a set of books from every year plus extra reading materials. They were to be used for studying in groups or alone. Anyone who wanted a quieter environment could use them as sound got through, but not very well.

“None of the games or books can leave these rooms,” Harry called, silencing the room immediately. “Anything in the practice rooms will stay in there as well, the same with the study rooms. If you bring something into here, you may leave with it, but anything except food in here now is charmed to stay in the room. Everything will put itself away, but please, for the sake of everyone else, put the books at least back on the shelves when you’re done.

“Now, look around the rooms, enjoy them, and just relax. All I ask is that you remember that these rooms are for everyone, so bullying is not tolerated. Also, when Beauxbatons and Durmstrang get here, they will be invited to join us in here, so expect them to mingle with us.”

Harry and Ginny then went to stand by Tracey, also leaning against the door with arms over their chests as they watched everyone explore the amazing area.

“How did you do all of this?” Hermione asked as she walked over to them, the first of their friends to do so.

“Magic,” Harry replied with a laugh. Hermione just rolled her eyes.

“I know that, but how did you really do all of this?” she asked with a touch of sarcasm in her voice.

“By showing the professors this,” Harry sighed, pulling out the original designs for the rooms and unrolling it, holding it up for her and their other friends to see.

“You made that?” Daphne asked, sounding a bit shocked. She and the others had joined the four of them just before Harry had pulled it out.

“We were bored and knew having detailed designs would make presenting it to the professors look better,” Ginny said with a shrug, none of them phased at all by the looks on their friends’ faces.

“Remind me never to get on your bad sides again,” Blaise muttered, and they all smirked.

“We’ll do that the next time you get annoying,” Tracey promised, making Blaise groaned while the others laughed, though hesitantly, obviously afraid of the trio as well.

“No wonder you managed to prank us over the summer so well,” Fred commented.

“Yeah, with designing abilities like this, it’s a wonder you haven’t taken over for us yet,” George agreed.

“Oh, we already decided that you both can stay at the top of the pranking pyramid, but you have to remember who the best really are,” Harry told them both with a smirk that worried them as they nodded quickly.

“Well, go on and explore some more,” Ginny said. “Tell anyone with a Journal to pretend this door isn’t here, by the way,” she added, gesturing behind her. “There’s a reason we’re standing in front of it. We’ll show everyone tomorrow.”

The others all nodded, though Hermione looked as if she wanted to ask why pretty desperately. It was with a chuckle that the three of them watched everyone beginning to enjoy the rooms. Just watching the school get along just a little bit better told them that all those hours working on The Den had been worth it.

AN: So... Who likes The Den? :) I do, but that's just me. Your opinions on it? Please?
Reviews 409
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear