Search:

SIYE Time:12:21 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Return of an Alpha
By Miz636

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama
Warnings: Death, Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 409
Summary: For three years, Harry has been Becoming Alpha of Hogwarts. Now another Alpha is returning, bringing with him darkness, chaos, and battle. Watch as sides line up for war, and people and society change.
Hitcount: Story Total: 169560; Chapter Total: 4102





Author's Notes:
First and foremost, thank you all for all the wonderful reviews. They were all well received, so thank you so much for being kind enough to offer them. I had a wonderful time in DC, even if I was so exhausted that I couldn’t even think about FF with all they had us do, and Canada has been quiet and peaceful so far, if a bit too wet for my liking.

Also, I do have to thank Fleek for introducing me to Wizard Love by Meekakitty on YouTube. He told me that it reminded him of this series, and after listening to it, I have to agree. Did she read this before writing the song or something? Seriously, though, it’s a really good song that does fit this story well, in a way. Thanks so much, Fleek!

I’d also like to thank all of you for getting Return of an Alpha nominated for the Trinket Awards. Even if I don’t win, it’s really nice to know that you all enjoy my story enough for that.
Please read, review, and enjoy!

Thanks to Arnel for another amazing Beta job, especially knowing that you’re busy and still get so much edited so quickly.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Thirteen


Harry looked around the pentagon-shaped room with a slight smile. Every single person with a Journal along with the first years was in the room for only those with a Journal right now. It was obviously going to be a tight fit in a couple of years, maybe even next year, but for the moment, they all fit in the room.

Maya and Astoria were standing by him at the green wall of Slytherin while the other leaders all stood in small groups by their own walls. They had all had a conversation just a couple of hours before to agree upon what they would ask of the first years. This was going to be a bit more formal than when the others had joined the group, but they were all hoping it would become the norm.

“Okay, everyone, quiet!” Harry called to the entire room, and everyone fell silent as they turned to face him. “Thank you.

“Now, many of you are probably wondering many things like why you’re all here and why not everyone can see this room.” Around the group, Harry saw people nodding, and he smiled gently. “The reason no one else can see this room is because only an owner of a Journal — or an ex-owner who isn’t a professor — can see this room.

“As for why we’re here, well, that will become obvious in a few moments,” he finished with a grin that only the leaders and Tracey shared with him.

“Around the room you’ll all see the leaders of second, third, and fourth years by their House walls,” he continued after a few moments of muttering was permitted. “We have all gathered to do something that has been due to happen for almost a week now. First years, please step towards the wall of your House. Older students, let them through to stand in front of your leaders.”

Around the room, many people began to understand what was going on. Everyone in the room, including the first years, knew that the Journals were only given after enough time had passed, and it seemed that it was time to distribute them. The first years moved forward quickly once they had figured it out, all of them anxious to finally get the famed Journals.

“Many of you probably expect me to say that Slytherin will go first because I’m a Slytherin, or Gryffindor to show that the two Houses can work together,” Harry said with a smirk as he saw a few guilty faces. “Well, I’m going to choose neither when I ask Susan Bones to please begin with the Hufflepuff first years.”

Eyes widened around the room as Susan stepped over to the cabinet and grabbed the leader’s Journal from the top shelf before stepping towards the first years. Behind her, the other two leaders counted out enough black Journals for the others so that Susan could just pass them on.

“Laura Madley, please come forward,” Susan said formally, and a young girl with light brown hair stepped forward with some confidence in her step. The fourth year looked the girl over before holding up the Journal for the first year to see.

“Do you, Laura Madley, promise to uphold the traits that are Hufflepuff by being loyal and hard-working?” Susan finally asked.

“Yes,” the young girl said in her soft voice that traveled around the silent room as the others listened closely.

“Do you promise to not judge by House?”

“Yes.”

“Do you promise to treat everyone as equals no matter what their heritage or blood?”

“Yes.”

“Will you lead the Hufflepuffs of your year to the best of your ability while also accepting advice and views from your fellow Housemates and classmates?”

“I will.”

“Then, Laura Madley, you are now, officially, the Hufflepuff leader of your year and one of the Journal group,” Susan finished as she held out the Journal to Laura, who grasped it firmly before stepping back to the rest of the Hufflepuffs.

After that all of the Hufflepuffs went the same way except without the final question as only Laura needed to promise to be a good leader. Then Padma and Terry stepped forward, taking turns to induct the Ravenclaws. The only differences were that they changed the Hufflepuff to Ravenclaw and spoke of wisdom and knowledge, beginning with Orla Quirke as the official leader.

Hermione then began with the Gryffindors. She spoke of bravery, chivalry, and the ability to face their fears. Natalie began to accept the Journal to be the leader of the Gryffindors when everyone realized that the Gryffindors would have one more thing to promise.

“Natalie, do you promise to not allow anything, especially old rivalries, to stop you from your other promises? Will you be sure to not let the ideas of Purebloods overcome you?”

“Yes,” Natalie agreed, and she was finally allowed to accept her Journal. The other Gryffindors also had to promise the same thing. Finally, it was Harry’s turn, and he began with Graham.

“Graham Pritchard, do you promise to uphold the Slytherin name by being sly in your ambitions and being the best Slytherin you can be?”

“Yes,” the boy said softly but with a hint of determination in his voice that Harry saw made Maya smile off to his left.

“Do you promise to not judge by House?”

“Yes.”

“Do you promise to treat everyone as equals no matter what their heritage or blood?”

“Yes,” he agreed with absolutely no hesitation, which surprised most of the group, especially the Slytherins, but Harry had been expecting it and just went on.

“Will you lead the Slytherins of your year to the best of your ability while also accepting advice and views from your fellow Housemates and classmates?”

“Yes.”

“Graham, like the Gryffindors, do you promise not to let the old rivalry with the other Houses, especially the House of the lions, overcome you? Will you ignore Pureblood tradition taught by Slytherin parents and choose your own road that won’t judge by House or Blood, even if it means disobeying your parents?”

For the first time, Graham hesitated. In the House of the lions, it was easier for them to disagree with their parents as most, if not all, of them were from light families who wouldn’t mind too much once their children said that the Slytherins were kind. Unfortunately, in the House of the snakes, it was entirely different. Parents would threaten things like disowning their own child just to get said child back under their thumb. To disobey one’s parents could lead to a lot of trouble for the young Slytherins, which was why this question was so important.

“Yes,” Graham finally said, and Harry realized he had looked at his sister momentarily. Maya must have given him a sign that she would help him no matter what.

“Then, Graham Pritchard, you are now the leader of the Slytherins in your year. Well done,” he added quietly as he handed the Journal to the boy, opening it slightly so that he would open it before everyone left.

Once Graham was done, the other Slytherins all agreed. It seemed Tracey’s thoughts had been right, though Blaise, Draco, Daphne, and Theo had helped as well, when it came down to the Slytherins. If one was willing to agree to the final question, they would all agree, especially if the person was their leader.

“The next time we do this, it will be the Ravenclaws who will begin, followed by Gryffindor, and Slytherin will be the ones in my seventh year,” Harry told the whole room after he silenced it by raising his arms. “After my year leaves, it will be up to the seventh year leaders to do this job, but the five of us will handle it until then. I just hope you realize that none of us are trying to be biased about any of this.

“Now, you may all come into this room to have an area to yourselves to hang out in if you wish. Speak to Tracey, Ginny, or myself if you wish for us to get furniture in here, but please realize that there will be no furniture in this room — besides the cabinets that only a leader could touch — during meetings as there won’t be enough room for anything. Please, do not touch the cabinets! There will be consequences if you do, and I don’t think any of you want to find out what they are.

“Feel free to use this room, but no one can even see it unless they own a Journal or are coming in here to receive one like the first years here today. Now, go enjoy your Saturday!”

Most of the group left the room, though Harry knew many were just going into the rest of The Den to enjoy it. Only those with colored Journals, Graham, and Natalie were left. The two first years had their Journals open to a note Harry had put into them asking for them to stay behind after the initiation.

“You asked for us to stay behind?” Natalie asked for them both.

“Actually, it was more all three of us, though Harry was the one to pass on the message,” Ginny told the younger Gryffindor with a smile as she and Tracey went to stand by Harry.

“Why?” Graham asked with narrowed eyes as he saw the confused looks on everyone else’s faces, including his sister’s.

“Because we wanted to offer you your real Journals,” Harry told the boy, who immediately brightened as the others realized what was going on.

“The only reason you got the black ones was so that the others didn’t feel bad during the whole ceremony,” Ginny said. “They’ll see the Journals and ask, but you can just tell them that you’ve known Harry for a while so he made you special Journals, which is true. Plus, you can tell them that Harry didn’t give them to you earlier so that none of your friends felt bad as that isn’t the point of these Journals.”

Both first years nodded a bit eagerly as Tracey reached into her bag and pulled out two Journals. One was a metallic red while the other was a metallic blue. She then handed Natalie the red and Graham the blue. Both were outlined the in leader lining, and their names appeared on the back on the new Journals as they disappeared from the black Journals.

“Maya, you should teach your brother and his friend about the secrets of the Journals they now have,” Harry suggested as he took the black Journals and returned them to the shelves they belonged in.

“Thank you so much!” the two kids exclaimed as they hugged the trio quickly. Not even the blue was upsetting Graham, probably because he had realized Maya had beaten him to the color.

Both of them opened the Journals and began using them with Maya instructing them, the rest of the group smiling as they watched the three leave the room happily.



Yo u have not been to visit me since the first day of your classes,” Sebae hissed to Harry, Ginny, and Ankh as they settled down on her coils in the Chamber. Torches flamed around the room, illuminating the room, which Harry and Ginny had cleaned with spells. In fact, the Chamber was much cleaner and more like how the school looked, though the design was slightly different .

We’re sorry, Sebae, but we’ve been busy,” Harry replied, feeling slightly ashamed as he and Ginny had visited her every two weeks the year before, but hadn’t been to see her except the once that month.

The two of us and Tracey came up with an idea,” Ginny elaborated, knowing that she and Harry had told the great Basilisk about Tracey and the others before. “We were helping to create a bunch of rooms for the students to relax in no matter what their House.

Something that Salazar and the other three would approve of?” Sebae asked, her head rising off the ground in interest as her yellow eyes locked onto the two teens.

Very much so, Sebae,” Harry told her with a smile. “They’d love it, most likely. It allows the Houses to interact together in a place that’s neutral and where students would be willing to be.

I am glad, then,” she hissed, and Harry knew that Sebae would be smiling if she could. The one thing she wanted of the school was for the fighting to stop; she didn’t like the separation, prejudice, and bias Hogwarts now contained.

We’ll try to get down here more often now that the rooms are done,” Ginny added, “but the Triwizard Tournament is taking place this year and may take up time here and there.

What is this Tournament? I have not heard of it before,” Sebae hissed, her confusion showing in her tone.

Three schools — Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang — compete in a tournament, one person from each school, in three tasks to see who wins. The other two are from the Continent. The only other thing we know about them is that Beauxbatons is French. Otherwise, most of the Tournament is a mystery to the students,” Harry explained.

Very different from the time of Salazar, but I can see why it is happening,” Sebae said quietly before poking both of the children with her nose gently. “I hope you both enjoy watching it as you should not enter it. Neither of you has the experience.”

Everyone has been saying that they think I’m going to enter, but I didn’t even think about it until they brought it up,” Harry grumbled. Ginny giggled as Sebae did a snake’s version of a laugh. Ankh licked Harry’s cheek to show his amusement.

Your friends know you won’t enter, and that’s the main thing,” Ginny reminded him softly. “Besides, you’ve said it enough times in the Journals when we’re all talking in them that everyone knows you aren’t going to enter if they have a Journal.

Harry snorted but said nothing as it was the truth.

After that the conversation turned to other things like how their friends were doing and the relationships between the Houses, plus plans for when the other schools got there. It was a very nice way to end the day, in Harry’s opinion.



Harry looked up, a bit startled, as Demelza Robins, the Gryffindor leader of second year, sat down across from him at lunch. She glanced behind her and to her right at a table with her friends and the other three leaders. Astoria was grinning mischievously, making Harry raise an eyebrow at her, but her grin only grew as she shook her head and pointed at Demelza.

“Something up, Demelza?” he asked curiously, turning back to the nervous girl.

“The others are making me tell you something because it was my idea in the first place,” she grumbled, and Harry laughed. The Gryffindor looked up at him in surprise.

“You don’t know how many times I’ve had that one pulled on me,” he said, and she smiled. “Now, why don’t you tell me your idea?”

“Well, my friends and I were talking about how the Tournament will be fun to watch and all, but there’s nothing going on except for the three Tasks, and even then only the three champions will be competing in those. What are the rest of us going to do during the year to entertain ourselves, especially with Quidditch cancelled?”

Harry looked at her, his eyes widening. Around him, Harry’s closest friends were staring at Demelza in shock. This was something none of them had thought about, but they all knew it was quite true.

“Let me guess,” Harry said with a smile as his shock wore off, “you have an idea.” The girl nodded with a smile, much more relaxed than she had been.

“Why can’t we have an unofficial Quidditch tournament this year with more than just three matches per House? Also, why not have other games like races, obstacle courses, swimming, running, and other things for those who aren’t on the House teams?” she suggested, and around Harry, his friends shared looks and began whispering as they all thought it over.

“Why not add in football and other Muggle sports as well?” Hermione suddenly suggested, and all around the table, his friends began suggesting other things.

Chess and Gobstone tournaments were suggested along with a pranking war. Some suggested duels and other competitions that had magic involved.

“Demelza,” Harry stated as the two of them stared around at the others in a bit of a shock, and she looked up at him. “I believe you should write all of this down and then get your revenge on your lovely friends over there.”

“How do I get revenge?” she asked as she pulled out spare parchment and a pencil from her bag to begin writing a list of suggestions and ideas from both of their friends.

It had actually become a habit of most students to use pencils on anything but homework, which was even beginning to occur in the older years as they realized how much easier they were. The Slytherins had yet to admit it, but they were impressed by what the Muggles had come up with. Harry wouldn’t be surprised if pens and pencils were used in Hogwarts as well as paper instead of parchment within the next decade or two.

“Well, you see, when your friends force you to talk to someone instead of them, you drag them along the next time you talk to someone and make them talk just as much as you,” he told her with a smirk that she returned.

“I get it,” she said as she looked over at her friends, smirk still on her face. Even Astoria looked worried once they saw that look, but all Harry did was smirk when she turned to him.

“Go tell McGonagall you need to talk to the Headmaster with all the Heads of House there and she’ll set up a meeting,” Harry suggested. “If she asks why, just tell her that you brought an idea to me that I thought would interest them just as much as The Den did.”

“Thanks, Harry,” Demelza said gratefully as she finished writing the list and gave him a smile before putting the stuff away and rushing up to the Head Table and her Head of House.

He watched as the two spoke for a few moments before McGonagall whispered in Dumbledore’s ear and he nodded. The professor then told Demelza something, and she grinned before heading over to her friends. The three leaders groaned so loud that Harry’s ears picked it up even in the loud Great Hall, though his sensitive hearing probably helped.

Laughing quietly, Harry went back to his meal. Around him, his friends were talking excitedly about the chance of having tournaments and other things, especially the Gryffindors.

If Demelza succeeded, Hogwarts was in for an interesting year all around.



“They said yes!” Demelza exclaimed the next day at dinner as she and the other three second year leaders threw themselves down around Harry. Tracey and Ginny were finishing up some homework that he had already completed, so they weren’t there yet.

“We told them the ideas everyone had, and even Snape was looking a bit excited,” Astoria added with a grin that Harry returned. The other students turned to stare at Snape as he entered the Great Hall, shocked looks on their faces.

“Twenty-five points to each of us for the idea,” Kyle Summerby of Hufflepuff added with a grin.

“Nicely done you guys,” Harry congratulated them. “Do you know when they’ll start?”

“Dumbledore mentioned beginning after the champions were chosen for the Tournament,” Robert Chambers of Ravenclaw stated. “They were still talking when we left,” he added with a sheepish grin.

“We’ll make a Slytherin of him yet,” Harry whispered to Astoria audibly, making Robert blush and Astoria grin. “Anyway, this will be excellent. Let everyone know tonight on the Journals; I’ll make a conversation for you.”

“Sure!” Astoria said happily as she nudged Demelza. “Demelza can do it.”

“How about Robert or Kyle does it, as they’re less known around the other years?” Daphne suggested from beside her sister, and that was when Harry remembered others were at the table and probably listening to the entire conversation.

“Or both,” Blaise added, and all three boys shared a look.

“I don’t really care who does it,” Harry said with a shrug. “I’m just going to open the conversation for them so that they can tell the others.”

“They’re all going to enjoy this,” Susan remarked from down the table a bit, and everyone else nodded in agreement as that was the general consensus of the group.

“Will The Den be used for the game tournaments?” Hermione asked. “If it is, we can add Muggle games to the list of ideas because we have plenty of all of them.”

“It’s the perfect place, really,” Harry said, “but it doesn’t really matter as the room isn’t mine. The whole thing belongs to the students now.”

“What do you mean?” Padma asked after a moment, asking the question Harry knew would be coming after that statement.

“That we made the room for everyone, not for us or the teachers,” Ginny said from behind him as she laid a hand on his shoulder.

“It was one of the most debated topics when we were discussing it with the Headmaster after construction began and he had gotten a chance to think it all over a bit more,” Tracey agreed from beside the redhead.

“You see, he wanted to know who owned The Den, and the three of us already knew what we wanted,” Harry said without even turning around to look at the girls even though everyone else had looked up at them in surprise. “The Den is a place for students, not teachers. Anything that happens in those rooms has to be agreed to by the students, not the teachers. If we want an event to take place in those rooms, the teachers can’t do anything about it unless it has to do with a duel or fighting in some form. The only thing they had control of in those rooms is discipline if someone breaks the rules.”

“Otherwise, if we hold a tournament in those rooms, all the teachers can do is come to watch,” Ginny finished with a grin.

“Basically, go ahead and use the rooms,” Harry said. “Just make sure everyone knows about the events at least two weeks in advance.”

“Bloody brilliant,” Blaise muttered, and Daphne elbowed him hard, making him gasp before rubbing his stomach.

Harry just laughed as the second year leaders left, allowing Ginny and Tracey to take their seats as talk went back to the games they wanted to play when everything started.



“Hey, Daphe, can I see your Journal?” Harry asked as he and Tracey sat down on either side of her in the Common Room. She looked up at him in surprise, blinking.

“Why?” she asked curiously while pulling out the deep purple book from her robe pocket.

“Because Tracey and I want to do something to it,” he sighed, distracting their friend as Tracey grabbed the Journal.

“Hey! Give that back!” Daphne exclaimed, jumping up after Tracey to try and grab the book that Tracey tossed to Harry.

Harry grabbed the Journal out of the air and tore out of the Common Room and towards the Room of Requirement, asking for a room only Tracey and Ginny could get in, and only if they were alone. Once it appeared, he rushed inside of it and heard the door locking behind him just as Daphne turned the corner into the hall.

Sighing in relief, Harry sat down at the table provided and reached into his bag to pull out a pile of Journals from it. By the time Tracey had come in, Harry had all of them lined up in front of him, two other books open on the table in front of him with a third, normal journal next to them.

Tracey pulled the lavender, purple, metallic blue, metallic red, yellow, sky blue, bronze, and magenta Journals to herself. Harry kept the gold, scarlet, brown, white, turquoise, metallic green, silver, gray, and deep purple for himself.

Working quickly together, they began casting spells on each Journal, setting up only half the spells on each before swapping so that the other half could be added. An hour after entering the room, they were packed up and leaving the room. When they opened the door they saw that each and every one of their friends with colored Journals was waiting for them. Ginny was trying desperately not to laugh.

“Can we have our Journals back?” Hermione demanded.

Smiling only slightly sheepishly, Harry pulled them out and laid them out on the floor. Each friend walked up and collected their own Journal while Harry, Tracey, and Ginny watched, all with some amusement. Their fear of a prank was hilarious as the anxiousness was showing on their faces.

“Man, it’s like you’ve all forgotten our promise from about the second week of school with how you’re all acting,” Harry said innocently as Ginny began to shake with her hand over her mouth to muffle her almost-silent giggles at the situation.

“Promise?” Justin asked in surprise, and Harry nodded.

“We promised to add the Map to your Journals, didn’t we?” Tracey asked innocently, and eyes widened as the group suddenly flung open their Journals and said the phrase to activate the Map.

Within minutes everyone was thanking the three, all anger forgotten as they realized they now had Marauder’s Maps as part of their Journals.

“The reason we didn’t do it before was because The Den was being constructed at the time, and we didn’t exactly want you all to find out about it before it was done,” Harry said to the group, making many blink. “That was the surprise we were talking about — you know, the one you would all love.”

“Merlin, you’ve been planning this for a while, haven’t you?” Neville muttered to the group, and the trio nodded with smiles.

“Well, thanks,” Terry said, and the others agreed, some with only nods and some with words.

“Enjoy,” Harry told them instead of anything else, knowing they all would.

AN: I believe this answered one comment about the students taking the lack of Quidditch into their own hands, no? Plus, I introduced that “secret” room. Otherwise, it’s just a sort of filler chapter to show what’s going on at Hogwarts as they wait for the other schools to finally arrive. That’s the next chapter, in fact, though the Goblet of Fire isn’t until 15. Patience, anyone?
Reviews 409
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear